Speaker 1: Now on weekends, mascot training thanks to not Be Kitchens since nineteen thirty nine and with Sydney's largest kitchen showrooms and free in home design service.
Speaker 2: Simon Stephenson is in the house, don't forget. You can see his work on his website Simon's House dot com dot are you. You can communicate with Simon via his website as well, but if you want to speak to him right now, the lines are open one three to one eight seven three one three one eight seven three do give us a call. No job too big or too small. There's no silly queskin here, not a one. Simon Stevenson, good morning.
Speaker 3: Good morning mane, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm well, lovely to see you, as I was saying to you off air and nor Glass advertise here. I'm a very bad painter, but nor Glass I had to do some timber trim yep, and I thought I did a half decent job. I was careful, but typically for me that would leave a little bits of quite And it just looks so good And it's not me, it's the product. It just saves people like me who might otherwise think our paintings are snack Yep. It actually they're so good that they're pretty hard to stuff them up.
Speaker 3: Mate. It's Look, that's why I love the product so much, and I've been raving about it for years, is because not only are they a small Australian company, but just they make just the most amazing products, absolutely top notch. Yeah, it's hard to find these days, really is Yes. I mean I use certain products from different paint companies because they've got some good products and some really bad ones. Yeah where nor Glass, I've gone through many of their products. Every one of them is second to none.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, outstanding one three, one eight seven three is the number we've got callers to get to. But before we do that, let's talk about paint. Sheene what is I guess we said there's low sheine high sen semiglass. They used to be flat when I was growing up. I don't every still is, Matt, what's the difference?
Speaker 3: Look, it's really important to know the difference and use them in the right spot. I mean, I was working on a heritage listed house this week. We had a big long hallway right and big set of doors down a far end of the hallway which let a lot of light shine right down that hallway. We painted the walls. Thought we'd doing in low sheene to start with, because we thought, okay, make them nice and washable, because low sheine's more washable than a flat or even a mat, and the mats are pretty good. But it shown up every little tiny hump and bump and you know, in the walls, and without completely skimming the entire wall and then sanding it, which would have been a huge amount of work, we just changed the sheene level. We went to a mate finish a little bit less sheen. The difference was incredible, and I just thought it might be important to let people know that, you know, like using that right sheen to get the right finish here after. So if you've got, you know, timberwork that might be a just a little bit old and imperfection, go to a semigloss. Don't use a full gloss because you really need top notch quality stuff when you're dealing with glosses bathrooms. Make sure you use a kitchen of bathroom paint, or at least a low sheine. And that's because of steam. I can't see you the amount of times I go into bathrooms. They're moldy and they've been painted in a flat paint which is porous and just going to trap all that mold and all that steam, and that's why they go moldy.
Speaker 2: So really important that that is such an interesting observation. I think many people would say, oh, lowchine would be the same as Matt yep or a flat finish. Obviously it's not absolutely not. Look you don't want to really use flats on walls. Matt is really good. It's that next step up. So there's a percentage.
Speaker 3: And look, even different paint companies will have different sheen levels and different percentage of sheen. So have a look at it when you go in, ask the question how much sheene do I get this? And you can sort of work out what's the best for you.
Speaker 2: What's eggshell?
Speaker 3: Eggshell is in between the mat and then the lo sheine. So you think about an egg and you look at it, you think, okay, there's no shine there, but there is. It's a little bit more of a washable thing.
Speaker 2: Did you tell the difference when you're looking at a wall.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, Like you try to look down the edge of a wall and sort of get a bit of an idea of what sort of sheen level it is. Yeah, But like I say, and generally when you put lo sheine paint on a wall or something like that, it will be shinier when you first put it on. It will dull down. Over a period of time, like a week or two, it'll start to lose a little bit of that sheen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, great information. One, three, one, eight, seven, and three. Good morning Ray, How can we help?
Speaker 4: Hello? Good morning morning Ray. I have I have a water leak underneath the kitchen seek and it's ruined all the cupboards. So I want to know who I get in to try and fix that up. I don't want to replace the whole kitchen. I just want to fix up those bank of cupboards that have suffered from the water damage.
Speaker 3: Look, I don't know whether you're going to find a kitchen company to do that. It's probably quite a small job. A handyman might be able to He might be able to remove parts of a cupboard and then build you one to match. That would probably be where I would go, as you know, a good handy man and should be able to do that sort of work, or a carpenter. You don't need to build it, definitely not. Some of the smaller kitchen companies might do it, but I think you might be better off with a handyman.
Speaker 2: The trouble is, I don't know if this is your issue, Ray, but you're seeing even in bathroom vanities that you might buy them, and they've got particle board, and some water gets in and all of a sudden it breaks it down. What happened to you is that like that, Ray?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so that the climbing sprung a leak and it was spraying water inside the car and I didn't realize it was until the water started leaking out the front of the car. And when I'm inside the whole particle board or whatever it is, it's all swelled up and deteriorating.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know why kitchen companies, and I know there are different grades of cupboards you can get when you order through a kitchen company, but I don't understand why kitchen companies, especially for under sinks, yes, don't use something that's one hundred percent waterproof, you know, I mean, it doesn't it make common sense to say, right that area could spring a leak, let's put something in there that doesn't get affected by it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hello rocket knock knock knock. Hey guys, thank you, Ray, Paul, good morning. How can we help you, mate?
Speaker 7: Good morning morning, Simon program.
Speaker 3: Thanks thanks, so we have.
Speaker 7: My question relates to a timber deck. It's a large kimber deck at the back of our house. Yep, it's painted. It's painted. We want to change the color to a timber look. So my question is, would you recommend stripping it all back, which has got a problem with the paint in between the timber planks, or just repainting over it to get that timber look.
Speaker 3: Okay, So when you say paint, it's a solid paint finish correct, correct? Okay? And has it got nails or screws in the timber?
Speaker 7: Good question. It's got screws, okay, screws, A.
Speaker 3: Lot of screws, okay, a lot of screws. Look, you can get companies to come in and you know they do floor sanding. My floor sander does this and I've got him about to do a deck for me. But it's big wide boards. So it's the one forty wide boards and it is screwed down. Hopefully the screws are below the timber, the surface of the timber, because otherwise you've got to set the you know, pull the screws out, put them back, you know, counter sync them so they go a little bit lower. But you can get those decks sanded and then start to oil them again if that's what you'd like to go. Just remember, if you are going to oil tom it is a constant maintenance thing where paint work will last you a lot longer than an oil finish, So you really need to weigh up the options of that if you do want to go down the paint road. I have used a Cabot's deck paint, so not a Cabot's deck oil. That's been really good, really good. It's probably one of the best paints I've seen, because you've got to You can't go using something like du Luxe weather shield on a deck to paint because it's too soft and you cannot walk on it. It's sticky and it's just it'll end up making a mess. You need something a little bit harder wearing. So the cabin scene is.
Speaker 7: From a cost perspective, doesn't it, And also I don't have to stand down the deck as well.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and look, give it a really good pressure wash and then you know, I think use that Cabot's deck stuff down works really really well. I'm a big fan of it. And pick a timber color, something that's sort of natural to the bush, something that goes real well. I think you'd be really happy with it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Paul, best of luck. And in two of oiling a deck, you and I have spoken about it at a water based oil which yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, look there's a few out there now. I've used one called Spa and Deck, which I'm a big fan of. It's a water based product and you actually wet the timber. If it's bear timber, you wet the timber first before applying the coat. So it's really crazy and you can do three or four coats in one day.
Speaker 2: Oh that's me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all over it.
Speaker 2: That's me. I'm glad you come in here. Thanks to help our listeners and more than occasionally me, I have to say back with callers in just a sec our guests for Sydney listeners tat airport and South Line trains from the city stopping again. I'm told now Green Square Mascot Domestic Airport and International Airport that was not happening due to urgent train repairs near the domestic airport. Now I've got callers to get to in times getting away. So Pam, how can we help you this morning? Good morning, Good morning, Pam.
Speaker 6: Oh, good morning guys. I have this. I've been told I need underpinning. I have this crack from one end of the wall in the land room. Only that one wall from one end right across, not in a straight line, just coming down. I did bring one place, they said, oh no, I range someone else. They did come out, they said, yes, you need underpinning. We'll send you the forms. Never heard from them again, right a few times. I don't know who else to ring.
Speaker 3: All right, Pam, what area are you in? I mean and Russell Lee okay.
Speaker 6: And they're all older homes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Look, can you do me a favor? Send me an email if you can, Simon at Simon's House dot com dot au, and I'll see if I can sort this out for you.
Speaker 2: And Pam, don't hang up, kitty. We'll talk to you off here to make sure you can do that. We'll find a way for you to do that, so don't hang up. To stay right there. Gooday, Bob, good hi mate? Can we help Bob.
Speaker 8: Well, I've got a odds through bathroom that was painted in December twenty three, and it was painted with Taurman's I think a water paper specifically for bathrooms. Now there's spots of mold coming in it. What's the best thing to coin it with? That's what I'd like to know.
Speaker 3: Eighty percent vinegar and twenty percent water. That will kill the spores of the mold and stop it coming back. So just make a mixture of that up and just wash that over the walls and then leave it sit for about fifteen minutes and then give it a rinse. That will solve the problem completely. It'll kill those spores, all right, Simon, thanks sure.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Good on, Bob. Morning Pat, how can we assist?
Speaker 5: Yes, good morning, Simon. Morning. Look, Hi, I've got a concrete patio out the back that's got cracks in it that the water seeps away through. And I was wondering what I could seal it with.
Speaker 3: If you look, you need to paint it probably, and there is a product called sports coat. Now it is a waterproof membrane, but you're able to walk over it. Okay. So it's a really thick rubberized sort of painting. And they paint and they use it for like tennis courts and things like that. But it'll stretch and it'll be able to give you seal that. So it is something you're going to have to paint in a color, all right. There's a company called color Maker Industries. They're the ones that make it. But it's absolutely brilliant and it is walkable. So you just roll that on the surface and it'll fill up all those cracks and it'll stop water getting in as well.
Speaker 5: Yes, because they're up to six millimeters wide some of them.
Speaker 3: Oh that's quite wid.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's why I was wondering there anything I could put in the crack.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, if they're that wide, you might need something else. You're probably going to need some sort of concrete filler for that. Now I know that if Bunnings do carry some in bottles that you can fill crack in concrete. So it's in the waterproofing section of Bunnings, and I'm pretty sure that the company that makes it is better B E. T. T. A. I don't remember the name of the product, but if you go there, it's in little bottles, almost like a tomato sauce bottle with a little nozzle out of it and you can just squeeze that into the crack and it will fill it.
Speaker 2: Excellent. That's sports the best of luck, Pats, thank you. That sports code sounds like a good product, you know, if you buy it in white, if they give you a pink carnation. I've been waiting all day for that. Christina, How can we assist.
Speaker 5: Chris, Christina?
Speaker 2: But good morning, good morning, good morning morning.
Speaker 8: Good morning.
Speaker 6: This is Christina. I have a problem with my windows.
Speaker 8: The rubber at the bottom of the window falling through them from the brick work and there's a big gap. Now, how do I fix that?
Speaker 3: Are you talking about aluminum windows? So you'll have a flashing at the bottom of the window. Is that what you're talking about where it goes on to the concrete. Okay, so that's probably torn at the bottom. You may need to try and find the brand of window. I don't know whether something like Clark Rubber might be able to supply you with something like that. And I know that the Bunnings now are carrying a big range of different rubbers supplies down there in any section. I just bought some from the bottom of a garage door. So try Bunnings first have a look there. They may be able to replace it or go to Clark Rubber, and if not, you're going to have to get a window manufacturer and see what they win with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Christina, best of luck. Thank you so much for calling.
Speaker 1: Gee.
Speaker 2: We're being all over the joint today, have great questions. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thanks mate.
Speaker 2: Listeners. Is there a difference between cleaning vinegar and actual vinegar when it comes to killing mold?
Speaker 3: Asks Matt, No, not that I know of. I don't know whether the cleaning v might be a little bit stronger, but the recipe I was given by a mold expert many years ago was the eighty percent white vinegar and twenty percent water and I've used it and it works fantastic.
Speaker 2: In ten seconds or less. What treatment to a wooden outdoor furniture going moldy during due to high humidity in Bunderberg?
Speaker 3: Okay, So I would clean the surface down with a timber reviver first, and then you can put things like waxes or oils on the timber as well, and that'll stop it from going moldy. You want to stop that moisture getting into the timber.
Speaker 2: Simon's House dot com dot are you see you next week. Thanks mate, Simon Stephenson,