Speaker 1: At the start of every new season. We'd love to have a chat to the long range weather forecast Hayden Walker. Plenty of you enjoy what we have to what we hear from Hayden, and encourage us to keep talking. Well, you don't have to encourage us. We'll continue to talk to. Hayden is a very good man and we like what he does with weather. He doesn't mince about He says it like it is, and his methods are predicting are very much different to what we're normally served up with, often wrong, not his what we're served up with. He monitors the sun solar flares. Historical data goes back well over one hundred years, and for the most part we've found his predictions to be more reliable as to many of his clients. Now, the bomb that's the Bureau as saying day and night temperatures will be warmer than average across Australia this winter and rain four will be within the typical winter range. Let's see what Hayden has to say about that. Hayden Walker of Hayden Walker's weather is on the line. Are you will yes?
Speaker 2: Lergan yourself very.
Speaker 1: Very mate, love you to talk to you again and thank you once again for your time. So I was looking at the bureaus seasonal forecast, and again, you know, they say things will be slightly warmer, and there might be a little bit more rain here, but generally within the typical winter range. Does that match with what you're thinking?
Speaker 2: Not completely. No, the temperatures will be around the average, with a sort of a plus or minus or one or two degrees, but certainly sidding. You'll get down to the low digits, and when you go out further west, it'll be getting into the negative down to negative three, and down on the southern tableland and so forth, down to negative six and lower. But the fact of the matter is that we want to be cautious about the chill factor from the wind. The temperatures might be reasonable, so to speak, but the chill factor from the wind, that's the one that makes it very cold, and that's with these frontal systems coming through New South Wales, so that will be the chilling effect. So the temperatures I believe, well, you know, we can probably handle those, and that respect, we'll get down to the lower digits for the coast. But at the same time, as you go to the west in the Camra and the southern table ends and so forth, you'll start getting down to the minuses. But the crux of the matter will be that chill factor from the southwest at least, coming probably from the snow and so forth, and that will have an effect on the coolness and the coldness right temperatures.
Speaker 1: A lot of us still, mate, and you know this, we've got the words of Tim Flannery rattling around our heads. It will never rain enough to fill a dam. And of course it's some time on, but we see the dams up around ninety percent, no doubt there'll be a point where they're a lot lower than that. But the idea that was never going to rain again, to that extent is purely fiction. There's no other word fraud. It's just fictional. Yet this man continues to be louded in the right circles. I'm sure he's done some very good work, but just on that prediction, he's failed live, I would say my listeners would agree. I'm sure miserably. What do you say about rain over winter?
Speaker 2: Well, the rainfall over winter, well, there's certainly more for winter. There's certainly more for winter, and especially to the eastern half of the state. There's some reasonably good to good falls, especially to the coast during June, and then when we get into July there will be further rain and go further further out west. And then also in August, we need to be careful. Probably on the cusp of end of July beginning of August, there's rainfall into the central southern interior and that'll extend onto the coast and there may be some further flooding. I know that word flooding. We've had enough of it, but at the same time, it looks like it's moving to the south, and I'd say it along that south coast may be a problem in relation to some good to heavy fall. So yeah, look winter rain, there is winter rainfall there. There's some good, some good falls in parts, especially to the eastern half, ranging from you know, a couple of inches through into the heavier falls that I've disgusted with that August period. So look, there is rainfall ahead and there will be above average for some areas.
Speaker 1: What about those crowd effected areas, Mike, do you see them getting some relief.
Speaker 2: On the outskirts. Yes, there is some relief, but way further out west there may may be difficult still, but you know in July probably the month that it would be a better month in relation to rainfall for the outer areas and also part and also in August. But yes, so there's some some areas there right on the way out it's going to be difficult for them.
Speaker 1: We've seen some pretty heavy rain as you well know parts of New South Wales along the coast, and we shouldn't forget in parts of Queensland as well. Did you did you foresee that when you were looking at the previous season.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did, Yes, Yes, I said there'd be heavy falls along the coastline in New South Wales from the beginning of the year right through. There'll be situations where there be heavy rain on the coast.
Speaker 1: So yes, is that Nina, Nina, because I've acad that before and you have a firm view here, please share it.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's based on sunspot activity in the solar flare. So I'll live off the Sun, so that if there's a change in the extreme conditions from the Sun, it'll change our weather conditions. So the Sun's going through our solar maximum, which means the sun becomes alive and therefore it has a bearing on our weather and therefore we get extreme weather conditions in relation to floods and extreme temperatures and so forth heavy rain. So when the sun goes back into a dormant stage, it quietens down, we get the drought conditions. So the sun currently is at a peak condition at our solar maximum, and this is why we're receiving so much raining for them, so much extremes.
Speaker 1: When does there what period of time is it a pattern where it becomes dormant. How long a way is that?
Speaker 2: Well, it runs an eleven year cycle, and therefore we're right at the peak now. So over the next two the two years, three years will start to slow down, but certainly we have further rainfall, you know, at the end of the year, and then next year there's further rainfall, but not every month, it'll be particular months. So it'll start to wane, it'll start to head down into its solar minimum, and then we'll get those drought conditions. So at the moment we're at the peak and there's further there's some further heavy rains next year, so at the beginning, so it'll still linger, but it'll start to wane in the next say, three or four years. But at that stage there are circumstances where it can sort of live, not for a short period, and then as it goes down goes down, there's a couple of glimpses where it'll it'll live. But at the moment, last year and this year is the peak. I know.
Speaker 1: It's some questions I ask you each time we chat, but I'm conscious that we have new listeners hearing perhaps you for the first or only the second time. Now. The bureau, I think their records go back to the nineteen twenties. Yours go back a lot longer than that. Your records are your records, and the bureaus are some would say homogenized. Just talk to me about the records you rely on.
Speaker 2: Well, the records I have right back to when Captain Cook first arrive and therefore the late seventeen hundreds, and it also extends into the eighteen hundred, So I have records that go right back to that situation whereby you know, we had certain flights, the Hawksbury rows thirty five fifty feet, et cetera, et cetera. So we have all those records all throughout Australia, and I'm able to go back onto those records and look at those records and forecast the future based on records based on the past, and I tie that in with what's happening on the sun surface. So, say twelve months ago, if someone phoned me and said, God, I need a forecast for what's happening in twenty twenty five, I'd go back to certain records, certain cycles, and I'll have a look and I project it forward to twenty twenty five. And that's how I come up with my forecast in that respect. So that's why I've been able to predict a heavy rain and so forth. I'm Monarch in the sun every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gotcha. One of my listeners wants me to ask you when you think winter begins. Of course we go by the first of June, but what do you count at the official beginning of winter.
Speaker 2: Well, look at the beginning of winter. It starts to shape at the end of May. I believe in relation to how the cycles and how the highs and loads are situated. So I believe that you know, at the end of May, we're starting to look at how it's shaping. And then sometimes it's late. It's a late start for winter, so therefore it may extend into you know that or September period, and that's what I'm looking at for the snow scene. I think we discussed that last time. I said there'd be a good snow season, there'd be some heavy falls. It'll be a late one particularly. It'll probably start to really ramp up at the end of the June beginning of July, and it'll extend through into September, so there'll be some pretty good falls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excellent, all right mate. If people want to know more about your excellent work, we send them to your website, which is Hayden Walker's.
Speaker 2: Weather Okay dot com. I don't know you, so yes, you have to get the information there and that anyone can bring me anytime and so forth email me at the same time.
Speaker 1: Brilliant, Thank you every time. I'd always good to talk here. Great, thanks Luke, thank you, Yeah you too, Hayden Walker