Speaker 1: On Sydney.
Speaker 2: Now you've trance handled the True, the straight shint, Straight Shooters. For a Tuesday Afternoon we feature our Holly's Liberal senator in New South Wales, outgoing Liberal Senator Holly Hughes.
Speaker 3: Hello, Holy, Hey Clinton, how are you going?
Speaker 2: And the Labour MP for McCrory, Susan Temperman. Hello, Susan, Hello, good to see with you. Big political issue of the last couple of days has been the defection of Dorinda Cox, the Greens Senator, to the Labor Party, and just from the outset, and I've said this when Lydia Thorpe, for instance, became an independent, when Corey Bernardi left the Liberals, I think it is morally wrong and I actually think we should change the laws that if somebody is elected in the Senate they stay with that party or they resign from parliament, because when politicians are elected on the Senate ticket, it's usually above the line. People usually vote for the party, not the individual. In the main I think it is morally wrong that they stay in parliament.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Holly, Oh, I think there's a real problem with people getting elected under a particular banner and then defecting and I think the hypocrisy has graded large from the Labor Party after the behavior that we saw from them in the Senate, the treatment of Fadam of Payman when she left the party to go sit on the cross bench, the moral outrage demonstrated by the Labor Party.
Speaker 1: And now you.
Speaker 3: Know, within weeks of an election, within weeks of being unsuccessful at attempting to be the deputy leader of the Greens during the Cox is welcomed by the Prime Minister with open arms. I mean, this is someone who clearly doesn't have any true convictions or beliefs. Because it was in the lead up to the election that Senator Cox was very vocal about the Northwest Shelf and opposing that. And you know, at least if you're a backbencher in the coalition you actually have the freedom to speak out on issues if you disagree. That doesn't exist in later Senator Cox is now very supportive of the extension to the Northwest Shelf, which personally she's had some great sensible conversion to actually ensuring we have energy security in this country rather than chasing unicorn farming dreams. Its fantastic, But somehow I don't think that's the.
Speaker 2: Case, and I should point out she wasn't up for election in the election we've just gone through in May. She is serving, she's midway through a six year term. Senators have six years term, but she was elected as a Green. She's previously been a Labor member. I should point out it's very different when we elect a politician like yourself, Susan in the lower House, because technically, I know a lot of people do vote on party lines, but we do vote for the individual. So if you, for instance, Susan, were to abandon the Labor Party and become an independent, I think ethically that will be okay. But the reality is most of us when we vote in the Senate vote above the line, so we're voting for a party ticket. So from the labor side, how can it be justified that Derinda does this?
Speaker 1: Oh look, I think we're splitting hairs. But just the record, I would never move from being a labor person to being anything else. Just want to close that one off. We welcome people who having worked with Labor senators in the Senate. Obviously, Derinda has seen from experience how you make a difference.
Speaker 2: Has an that she was voted as a Green, what the Green's voters now aren't represented by her.
Speaker 1: Well, she has another three years, and she was voted in to represent a state more than anything. She's there to represent a state, and she's made a decision about how she can make the biggest contribution, and she's determined that she can do that within government more effectively than a member of a protest party.
Speaker 2: Well, Holly, you're an outgoing senator. Hoy, you're an outgoing senator. Do you think people were voting for you personally or the Liberal Party or the coalition ticket as it would have been in.
Speaker 3: Your case, Well, they were voting to the coalition ticket. And I was always where that I was a Liberal Senator by the grace of the Liberal Party. I was one of, in fact, the very few people we had a number of cross benches as we came into the last election where people had been unsuccessful in pre selection or for whatever reason, had taken them outside of the party they were elected to serve. I did not do that. I didn't make that decision. And I'm not saying there weren't opportunities for me to do things. But I've always believed you've got to dance with the one that brung you and I was a Liberal senator because of the Liberal Party. I mean, I am please please have me on when Susan is now lauding the defection of Senator Cox after we know there were significant claims of bleeding from her staff. There was investigations and inquiries. I'm going around those bullying allegations, the staff turnover. There was much being made about the way Senator Howks ran her office and now the Prime Minister in the Labor Party is working in her with open arms. Well, I don't think that sends a very positive message to those staffers that had made those allegations.
Speaker 2: Well, Susan, how did your colleagues feel? We know what we've heard on the grapevine, but how did they and some public comments, but how did they feel in the party room when Center the Payment left the Labor Party.
Speaker 1: Oh, we were really disappointed to lose someone like some of the payman who bought a really diverse perspective to the parliament. So you know we are we're a party that welcomes people from all walks of life and a whole lot of women do choose our party, you know. Right now with Derinda's joining the party, we must be getting closer to sixty percent of female representation in our party room than the sort of fifty six percent fifty seven percent that we were so look, we have all welcomed Dorenda's decision. We're really please when someone sees the life and can see that Labor has not only been a good government for its first term, but has really ambitious plans which include protecting the environment but making sure that the rules that we have give business a clear message on how they can do the essential developments that we need, but also provide better protections for the environment for future generations.
Speaker 2: I actually think we need to change the rules. I think it is really wrong. And look, the saying goes for conservatives. Corey Bernardi did it as well to the Liberal Party. I think it's really wrong when someone's elected, particularly in the Senate, to then jump sides on to the next issue. Andrew Bragg, one of your colleagues, Holly, has done a bit of a backflip on the work from home issue. He's become a champion of work from home. Disagrees it would seem that would change him. What's your view? Do you think work from home is the future and do you think the Liberal party should never be fully supportive.
Speaker 3: Look, I think what Senator Brad was talking about was looking at way that we can boost productivity, and everything needs to be on the table. And the reality is we've seen a increase in pay rates today above inflation for low income earners. But it is also a pay rate that has increased higher than productivity, which we are seeing in decline. And so particularly for small businesses that are now going to have larger wage impacts, they're going to need to see greater productivity. So whatever is able to produce that will help our economy grow. And I know that labour are going to say, isn't this great? These work low income earners are getting a pay rise. Well, if you're working at McDonald's and someone that's going to get this pay rise, working from home isn't an option for you. So a lot of these low income earners are actually not the people that benefit from working from home policies. We need to make sure they're not being controled slated. The people that benefits from work from home are quite often in corporate, white collar jobs. It's not the doctors, it's not the nurses, it's not the teachers. It's not the police and fire brigades that are able to do that, and it's not low income iners in the hospitality sector.
Speaker 2: I suspect after the election that work from home in the future actually won't be a political issue.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Susan, It shouldn't be a political issue. I mean people should work in a way that they are most productive. And when you've got people like the ones I represent in the Blue Mountains for Hooksbury, who getting to an office can mean traveling for one and a half to two hours each way, then clearly you get massive benefits in productivity. You get people are feeling less tired when they're at work. You get people who are relishing the idea that they can might be able to get out, pick up a kid from school, drop them to something, and still through the workhouse that are involved. So, you know the so the Liberals are all over the shop on these issues. I think what's interesting is there was this commitment by the leader that they're going to review all the policies, they're not going to take positions on anything, and here we are a week or so later, people and shadow ministers starting to pick policies that they're backing in. So look, it's obviously it's a shamble.
Speaker 2: Now a sad day for you, Holly. You've been cleaning out your desk the next election. You've been cleaning out your desk in canbra I.
Speaker 3: Have my office in Canberra has now been cleaned.
Speaker 1: It's the everything's in boxes.
Speaker 2: Were you're a politician, when you're an MP, are you allowed to have an untidy disc Oh?
Speaker 3: I think I mean for me personally, it would start with excellent intents at bang or tidy and organized, and give it about four hours into a sitting week and I there would be different inquiries or committee reports or folders with meeting briefing notes or whatever it might be started to pile up. So I think you start the week looking pretty good. You try and finish the week with it tied it up, but the in between it's so good.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, if you've ever had to clean out of death suason, what's the strangest thing you've ever found?
Speaker 1: Not strange so much, but other thinking about Holly, I'm thinking about the things that would matter to me. I have I drank my tea out of mugs that my local schools have given me, so this morning I had courage on public school. I've got Panola Catholic College right now, and it's that sort of stuff. I think if you were packing up a desk that had really, you know, tugged the heartstrings because we love going to our schools and Hollywood be the same.
Speaker 3: Look. Can I tell you there's a present going to a colleague of mine who's unaware. He will get it in the internal mail. But I was gifted some whips for whip cracking whips, yeah to you know, which I cannot do. Years ago I tried, and I ended up with some nice welts on my crow.
Speaker 2: You're telling me there's politicians that are walking around Putman House cracking the whip.
Speaker 3: I had two whips in my office. They're very high quality whips. And a friend of mine, one of my colleagues in the Senate, has one of the more interesting offices of little knick knacks and a coach remonts.
Speaker 1: That he's acquired over the years.
Speaker 3: So I've written him a little note and.
Speaker 1: They'll be waiting for him in his inbox.
Speaker 3: He doesn't know they're coming.
Speaker 2: Well. Of course, each party does have formerly a position of the whip. The person who held zeb Brown keeps them in line and gets them into the chamber on time. You'll have to give them the whip. Thank you, Holly, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Susan now whip on Thursday.
Speaker 1: I did think of cheaping.
Speaker 3: One for her.
Speaker 2: Susan Tenenmann and Holly Hughes our straight shooters for a Tuesday afternoon