Speaker 1: Nine podcasts.
Speaker 2: Aaron Patterson has given evidence around how she made the beef Wellington meal, telling The Cord that she used a mushroom mix as part of a paste, and that she became concerned that mix could have contained foraged wild mushrooms around the time that her estranged husband approached her in hospital and she says accused her of using a dehydrator to poison his parents. From there, she says she panicked.
Speaker 3: Victoria's mushroom mystery.
Speaker 4: The mushroom lunch that claimed three lives.
Speaker 5: An Australian family's meal is now the center of a homicide investigation. The bizarre tragedy now grabbing global headlines. Aaron Patterson's alleged victims died after eating a family lunch she'd serve them at her home.
Speaker 4: I cannot think of another investigation that has generated this level of media and public interest.
Speaker 2: Four of the guests of that lunch were much loved members of this church.
Speaker 1: Only one will ever.
Speaker 5: People are feeling very heavy with having lost such wonderful people.
Speaker 2: Today, Aaron Pattison remained here inside her home.
Speaker 1: She's continued to plead her innocence in a court room in.
Speaker 2: Country Victoria Aaron Patterson is on trial accused of using death cat mushrooms to kill She's pleaded not guilty to murdering three of her former in laws and attempting to kill a fourth, the town's church pastor. It's up to the jurors to decide what happened when Patterson's loved ones sat down to eat. On her third day of evidence, Aaron Patterson has told the court details of how she says she made the beef Wellington meal. She's also told the court that she now believes that there could have been foraged wild mushrooms in the mushroom mix that she put into that dish.
Speaker 5: There's a lot to unpack from today, Penny. We are recording this podcast episode later than we normally would because there's been a lot to try process and a lot to break down and understand, double check quotes, all of these types of information to make sure what we are bringing our listeners is a real and true reflection of what happened in court today. When I was sitting trying to write my story for the Age before we've sat down to do this, it was quite difficult to figure out how much I could get into the first few pars there was line after line after line of information and the reason for that is this is Aaron Patterson's third day on the stand and she was answering questions from her barrister, Colin Mandy. Again, Aaron, I agree definitely with the you know, the crosses that I've done throughout the day for radio and TV as well. It's definitely there's been so many topics.
Speaker 2: Covered, particularly on this particular day, and the fact that we have the podcast where we can try and bring people large chunks.
Speaker 1: Of the evidence.
Speaker 2: We're really hoping, as we've said, that this gives people a real insight into what was going on in the courtroom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm looking at a notepad in my left hand at the moment with a little bit of scribble on it to remind me of different points to not forget and the order in which they were presented to the jury today and some of those. And we'll take you through all of the evidence that we heard today, but a quick recap, I suppose on where we got to by four o'clock this afternoon. We heard a little bit about a conversation between Aaron Patterson and Simon Patterson when they were left alone in a hospital room at Monash Hospital. Here, Simon Patterson asked questions of his estranged wife as to whether or not she'd use a dehydrator to poison his parents. We also heard a little bit about Aaron Patterson dumping some evidence, including a dehydrator during the aftermath of the lunch. We heard a little bit about Aaron Patterson admitting it she did wipe a mobile phone a number of times. She also said that she told some lies Penny to keep her children. There was also different things about her her diary and in her words, her illness continued to get worse and worse. But she also took us more importantly and the reason why we're all in court Penny through the lunch, what happened at the lunch, through in her mind what she recalled of that. And there was many, many, many questions that she answered to the jury today about that lunch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and those included elements of the shopping, the preparation, the recipe, the serving up, the plating up, why she says she held this lunch. And we'll take everyone through as much as we can fit into one recording. But let's sort of start from some of the first parts of the evidence that the jury heard today, and that was when Aaron Patterson's barrister took Aaron Patterson through a number of photographs on the big screens and the court was told that these came from an SD card, so a memory card that had been recovered from the Gibson Street Lee and Gatha home during a police search. Now, Aaron Patterson was sort of going through these different photos with her barrister and what we saw in those photos was quite a few different mushrooms.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there was twenty odd pages that Aaron Patterson was taken through and asked did you take these photographs? Do you have any memory of taking these photographs? What is depicted in these photographs? And some of her answers were that there was mushrooms in those photographs that were taken in the wild. There was other mushrooms that had been picked and that were placed on newspaper and Aaron Patterson identified that particular picture as being one that was on her kitchen bench at the time at a previous addressing in corn Bara in Shelcotte Road. But she was also then asked to identify some other people that may have been in that photograph and that's when she got a little bit emotional. Penny for the first time on day twenty six of the trial, and that was when she was asked to identify, yeah, people in the background, and she said they were her children.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And part of what was shown to the court was some very small images which it was asked for them to be zoomed up, and it was explained by the barrister. He says that these were snapshots basically taken from a video, and Aaron Patterson.
Speaker 1: Told the court that she believed that.
Speaker 2: She had taken that video that her children had been riding their scooters on a rail trail.
Speaker 1: They're excited to do that, yeah, and she.
Speaker 2: Sort of she said, look, you can see that they're both in that image, and that's when she got a little bit emotional talking about those children.
Speaker 1: But she also noted to the jury that there was a.
Speaker 2: Child in that image wearing a red sort of top and that that was the same child. She said, you could then see in this other image that she said was taken at her kitchen bench. But through a lot of these photos, she seemed to be able to recall some parts of exactly when she'd taken them and why She says that was she noted some particular mushrooms, that they were sort of a brownie yellowy color to me, at least in grass, that she had picked those from the grass, and that she had been trying to identify those, she said, to find out if they were toxic.
Speaker 1: For her dog.
Speaker 2: She told the jury that she said that was an inner cybe mushroom and she'd come to know that that was a poisonous mushroom that she believed grew on her property.
Speaker 5: She was also taken to other screenshots that the prosecution had introduced as part of their evidence, and they related to a purchase at the corn Bar Top Pub. This was something that was happening around the same time as there was also a visit to a website II Naturalist, and Aaron Patterson said, yes, that could have been her that accessed the our Naturalist page. It made sense because at the time she was researching whether or not there was death cat mushrooms growing in South Gippsland. She said ultimately they weren't and she was then asked further questions about what else was going on at that time. She confirmed, as I said, this purchase at the Coronborough Middle pub, she said, yes, I remember doing that, I remember making that purchase.
Speaker 2: And she said that she did sometimes purchase dinner on occasion for her and her family there. When she was talking also about those sort of the use of her phone, she was sort of asked about when she was trying to identify mushrooms how she would do that. She said mostly she would use her phone because that was the device usually that was easiest when she had it with her.
Speaker 5: When she was asked as well about some of the our naturalist posts that we've heard during this evidence thus far, she was asked whether or not she'd ever seen posts that pinpointed that where deathcat mushrooms were believed to have grown from other witnesses, Tom May and another woman called Christine Mackenzie, and she said no, she had not, she did not ever recall seeing those posts. And well, when she was asked of her phone records and her travel was consistent with traveling to lock An Outram area and if she'd ever forage in those areas, she said.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, she said she'd never foraged in either of those two particular locations.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we heard in June twenty twenty three, I think it was the twenty fourth of June, Penny that Aaron Patterson had a lunch with Don and Gale and her children. She said she'd become a little worried that there might have been some distance growing between her and her in laws at the time. The way she remembered it when she was expressing this to the jury was that it was a really, really good time and her children really really enjoyed it, and she said that's one of the reasons why she planned the lunch again a month later on the twenty ninth of July. It was at this time as well, Penny, that she was taken back to an exhibit called Exhibit fifty one, and this was a string of text messages or messages that had been sent between her and Gail Patterson, and this was a discussion about her medical appointments.
Speaker 2: Here's a little bit of what Aaron Patterson told the jury while she was being questioned by her barrister, Colin Mandy. It's voiced by actors.
Speaker 3: The message is from Gail to you, Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: And it says hi, erin just wondering how you got on in your appointment today.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: What was Gail referring to.
Speaker 4: I must have told him I was having a medical appointment that day.
Speaker 3: And do you remember when you told them that?
Speaker 4: It may have been at the lanch or maybe slightly before it. I think it was slightly before.
Speaker 3: And what did you say about that medical appointment?
Speaker 4: I think I just said I was I was having a problem or a lump on my arm checked out?
Speaker 3: Did you have a lump on your arm?
Speaker 4: I thought I did at one point.
Speaker 3: Your response, on twenty ninth of June to that message is Hi, Gail, the appointment when? Okay? Thanks for asking. I had a needle biopsy taken of the lump and I'm returning for an MRI next week and we'll know more after the results of those two things. Yeah, I wrote that had you been to an appointment?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Had you had a needle biopsy taken of the lump?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Were you returning for an MIRI the next week?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: And were those lies? Yes? And why did you tell those lies?
Speaker 4: So some weeks prior, I had been having an issue with my elbow with pain, and I thought there was a lump there and I had told Gail and Don about that when I saw them or spoke to them, and they had shown quite a lot of care about that, which felt really nice, and the issue started to resolve, and I felt a bit embarrassed that I'd made such a big deal about it, and I didn't I didn't want their care of me to stop, so I just kept it going. I shouldn't have done it.
Speaker 2: And this is where Aaron Patterson explained that she while she had thought that she had this particular issue with her arm that had sort of resolved by then, that she was actually thinking and planning, she said, to have a different procedure, that she was planning to undergo gastric bypass surgery to help her, she said, get control of her weight, and she felt she didn't really have control of her body at that time.
Speaker 5: She remembers she told the jury thinking that she didn't want to tell anybody, and she didn't want anybody to know what was going on, and she was really embarrassed and thought that at this point, maybe by allowing that lie to go on, her in laws will be able to help her with the care of her care of her children.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: As another part of the evidence, she was taken to the particular meal, this particular lunch that her barrister has noted as part of this evidence is what this trial is all about. And as part of that, Aaron Patterson noted that she'd invited both Gail and Heather while they were at church, that she wanted to make this sort of connection with both of them, and she felt that Ian and Heather had been good to her in the past, and so it would be nice to extend and invite to them, because she said that Gail had previously said when she'd spoken to her about having her guard and done that she thought that that's something that Heather might really enjoy seeing.
Speaker 5: She said that when she invited her lunch guests her in laws, she didn't give them a reason for the lunch, but she did acknowledge that when Simon Patterson canceled and said and texted her to say he wasn't coming shortly before the lunch, that she revealed to him that there were some health concerns that she wanted to talk about. She said she grew she grew really frustrated that he wasn't coming, and that she really wanted him to be there. She really wanted to feel like the family was getting around her at that time. And then the questioning turned to more about the beef Wellington penny and why Aaron Patterson decided to cook that particular meal.
Speaker 2: She's told the court through her evidence that she made a shepherd's pie for the previous family lunch. She said that Donnegale seemed to really enjoy that, but she felt it wasn't really a special enough meal for what she wanted to this particular lunch occasion to be. And she told the court that she remembered that her mum used to make beef Wellington's on really special occasions, and she said she'd actually never made a beef wellington herself, but that she had this memory and she thought, well, she might try and give that a go. And she gave evidence that she used the recipe Tin Eats.
Speaker 1: Cookbook YEP as the basis for this recipe.
Speaker 2: She also was taken through her shopping history quite a bit on the days that came before this lunch, so particularly it was touched on the twenty third of July and the twenty seventh and multiple purchases for pastry, and there was also multiple purchases for mushrooms there as well as phil Att's steak. And she told the jury a little bit about why she said that she was making these different purchases.
Speaker 5: Her recollection of the events at that time was she saw in the recipe books, in the recipe Tin Eats book, that the beef Wellington was made in a log shape. And at this time during her evidence, she was using her hands penny to demonstrate the size of the beef Wellington log to the jury as she was answering questions from her defense barrister, and she explained that when she was out shopping, yes, she bought pastry shalots, these types of ingredients for the meal. When she was trying to find meat to fit this log style beef Wellington, she couldn't find anything big enough, so she changed her mind and decided to buy steaks. And she said that's when she started to adapt the recipe a little bit and make them individual beef Wellington's. And it was at this point she was looking up up to her right up to the roof, and she appeared to be remembering other changes that she made to the meal as well.
Speaker 1: At that time, she was.
Speaker 5: Saying that because she made the individual beef Wellington's penny, she needed more mushroom paste because there was more surface area that needed to be covered.
Speaker 2: She gave evidence that she had also bought this extra filo pastry because she felt there was a step in the recipe involving a crepe that was a little bit difficult, so she was trying to sort of replace another item there. She also said the recipe called for proscuto, but that she didn't use that because don didn't eat any pork. So she took the court in quite a lot of detail through what she says she did to make this particular meal, and she said that as she was sort of making this meal, she'd used her thermo mix to condense down or chop up those already sliced fresh mushrooms.
Speaker 5: These were fresh sliced mushrooms she said that had been prepackaged that she bought from the supermarket that were covered in clear plastic. And she added those two garlic and shalots that were already cooking in the pan.
Speaker 2: And she said that's when she tried this particular sort of mixture, and she felt that it was actually a little bit bland. So she told the jury through her evidence that she had then gone and got decided to add some dried mushrooms to this to try and sort of add to that particular flavor, and in her evidence she said that she was getting some dried mushrooms that she remembered purchasing from a grosser in Melbourne back a few months before this lunch. But what will take you to now is Colin man dys as he's questioning his client about this particular element of the preparation.
Speaker 1: It's not anyone's real voice.
Speaker 3: You said, he told the jury yesterday about the topperware container that was in your pantry. Yeah, at that time, to your knowledge, what was in that tupperware container?
Speaker 4: At that time, I believed it was just the mushrooms that I'd bought in Melbourne.
Speaker 3: And now what do you think might have been in that tupperware container?
Speaker 4: Now, I think there was a possibility that there were foraged ones in there as well.
Speaker 5: Now I've got in my notes here, Penny. It was at this point that I looked up from where I was seated in the courtroom and I could see Aaron Patterson, who appeared to be sobbing at this point. And it was as she was also talking about how she introduced those mushrooms into the meal. This was all part of the same line of questioning, and she was also using her hands again to express how she was cooking and adding these dried mushrooms to the meal. And she said that she used a little strainer with a handle and she used that to roughly pour some water, allow some water to be poured over them to get the crispness out, chop them up, and then sprinkled them over what she said was her duct cell. Then she said, you quote push them in with an egg flip.
Speaker 2: She gave evidence that she made six of these different beef Wellington six parcels yep, and that she'd sort of cooked them, and she also talked through some processes around browning off the meat, putting that into eventually sort of the entire process to cook these.
Speaker 5: And then we got to a bit of a timeline of the lunch and what happened and who was standing where and receiving what, and that's when the questioning switched to the plates that we used, and Aaron Patterson was asked what plates that she had, and she took the jury through that she think that it was a couple of black ones, a couple of white ones. There was one that was red on the top and black underneath, and also one that her daughter had made her at kindergarten. But then she was asked by Colin Mandy, do you own any other dinner plates, and her response was no, I did not. Then he asked did you own any gray plates, and she also said no. Then she was explaining as she was dishing up what food was going where, and who was grabbing which plates, these types of things, And then the conversation or then the evidence turned to the conversation that was happening at the lunch table. She was explaining that the other guests were sharing with her the news that a family member had just had a baby, and she was really excited about that, and later even sent off a text message congratulation to this woman. And then there was a little bit more information about whether or not she saw her lunch guests take the plates, and she said no, Penny. At that time, she turned and she was heating up some gravy when the plates were picked up and her recollection was By the time she turned back around, four of the plates were already being carried to the table, so she took the one that was left on the bench.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she said, there was no assigned seats at this particular lunch and when she was doing that gravy. She said it was a packet gravy, that it was perhaps two packets, that she'd heat it up relatively quickly in a saucepan. She noted it didn't take long, and she said that's the last thing that she did before she came and got her plate. She was asked a few questions about if she could remember exactly who had eaten.
Speaker 1: What and how much people had eaten.
Speaker 5: She said that, yeah, that there was a conversation about one of the lunch geest seating a little bit more of somebody else's lunch, But she really remembered that there wasn't much left on the plates afterwards, maybe a couple of beans and a little bit of potato mash. But she was asked why she didn't eat all of her meal, and she explained to the jury that she'd been talking a lot and eating quite slowly, and quote, that's about all I can say about that. Then we heard a little bit more about when the children returned to the house.
Speaker 2: But we'll let the listeners hear this through the words of Aaron Patterson and her barrister, Colin Mandy.
Speaker 1: This is voiced by actors.
Speaker 3: Now, during the course of the meal, what was the discussion, as best as you can remember it from the beginning sitting down? What did you talk about?
Speaker 4: We talked about what we'd been up to, what had been happening in the family, probably a bit of politics and current affairs, about what the kids were doing. They all asked a lot of questions about the kids, or at least Heather and Gail did. At one point, I remember Don talking about his brother that was battling throat cancer. I think it was his brother Bobby.
Speaker 3: And what happened with that conversation about cancer? Did it move on to other topics?
Speaker 4: It stayed at that topic at that point?
Speaker 3: What did you say about your health?
Speaker 4: So it was right at the end of the meal, and I mentioned that I had maybe not scare is the right word, but I had an issue a year or two earlier where I thought I had a varying cancer and had various scans about and related to that. And I'm not proud of this, but I led them to believe that I might be needing some treatment in regards to that in the next few weeks or months.
Speaker 3: Can you remember what you said about that in any more detail?
Speaker 4: Not specifically. I do remember I referred to upcoming treatment because primarily in my mind was thinking I might need help with getting the kids too and from the bus or activities, and I might need to explain why going out to hospital for a day or two. So that was really the focus of what I was talking about.
Speaker 3: Did you mislead them?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 3: How did that conversation conclude?
Speaker 4: They all showed a lot of compassion about that. And then we saw Simon's car driving into the driveway coming back with the kids, and so Ian said, why don't we pray for Erin? And so that's what we did.
Speaker 3: I asked you, did you mislead them? Did you lie to them?
Speaker 4: I did lie to them.
Speaker 3: Why didn't you tell them the truth about what you were intending?
Speaker 4: I was really embarrassed. I was ashamed of the fact that I didn't have control over my body or what I ate. I was shamed of that and embarrassed, and I didn't want to tell anybody and intern I shouldn't have lied to them.
Speaker 5: Aaron Patterson then explained to the jury Penny that after her lunch guests left, she recalled her son coming in and helping her clean up, and she remembered him putting some stuff on the sink, and then he went to the computer room with his friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she said that the two boys had sort of gone to a bit of a computer room it and gone straight on the computers. But she noted that her son was normally really quite good at helping clean up, so she thought that he probably would have done that, and that she recalled there'd been a conversation at least between him and his grandfather about some flying related things, and that the friend had also had a bit of a chat she thought to the grandparents because this friend had had previously met them before. But she said that then once once they were sort of gone that I and she remembered she thought had some sort of meeting to do with the church, so then they had to go to And then she was there in the home, she said, cleaning up after this lunch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, She said that the lunch guest had left behind a fruit platter and also an orange cake. Now, she explained the orange cake had about three quarters of the cake left, and it was at that point that she recalled to having a piece of the cake. She then said she had another piece, and another piece, and another piece penny until there was no pieces left. And at this point she said she was feeling sick, she felt over full, and that's when she went to the toilet and brought it all up again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Aaron Patterson had given some evidence throughout her time being questioned that she throughout her life, she says had had low self esteem and issues with her weight, and that at times throughout her life she would binge and overeat and then then she may bring this back up. Now, she said at different times. Sometimes this would happen multiple times a week, other times it was much less than that. But she's previously given this evidence and then she was taken to what had happened with this cake.
Speaker 1: We'll be back with more of.
Speaker 2: Aaron Patterson's evidence after this and what she said her estranged husband asked her about a dehydrator while she was in hospital.
Speaker 1: Following the lunch.
Speaker 2: Aaron Patterson has given evidence that she presented to the Landgatha Hospital and was then taken on to the Monash Hospital. Now, she was taken to a particular time when she was at the Monash Hospital where she'd confirmed that she did have a bit of contact with Simon Patterson. Her strange husband at that time, that the children had also been brought into the hospital and that they'd had a few different conversations, one being about She said while the kids were in the room, that one of the children had asked basically about what was going on, and she said that she'd explained she thought that a few people had become sick, and that perhaps they'd become sick from the meal that she'd made.
Speaker 1: But she said that.
Speaker 2: One of the children then asked, well, why are we here because we didn't come to the lunch, and she explained, well, you ate the leftovers. She said previously in her evidence that this sixth beef Wellington that she'd talked about, that she'd cooked it but put it straight in the fridge, she says before she actually served up the rest of this meal for the guests, and she told the jury that she gave the children that that for dinner, but had scraped off the mushrooms and said she said that to that child, But then there was a further discussion about mushrooms that went from there.
Speaker 5: This was a point in her evidence where she explained to the jury that Simon Patterson and herself had been left alone in that hospital room.
Speaker 2: And let's hear a little bit about how this was presented by Aaron Patterson and her barrister, Colin Mandy.
Speaker 3: And did you and Simon have any conversation?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so during that conversation with the children about the taste tests, and you had discussed in that conversation that I had dried the mushrooms. And I don't remember if it was Simon or I that had initiated it, but there was a conversation about how I had used a dehydrator or to do that, and he said to me, is that how you poisoned my parents using that dehydrator?
Speaker 3: And what was your response?
Speaker 4: I said, of course not.
Speaker 3: Did that comment by Simon cause you to reflect on what might have been in the meal?
Speaker 4: It caused me to a lot of thinking about a lot of things. Yeah, well, it caused me to reflect a lot and what might have happened.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, can you explain to us what crossed your mind then and what you were thinking about?
Speaker 4: So it got me thinking about all the times that i'd used it. And I had used the dehydrator, that's right, And I had dried forage mushrooms in it weeks earlier and I was starting to think, what if they'd gone in the container with the Chinese mushrooms, Maybe maybe that had happened. Yeah, I was thinking, maybe that's how this all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did that make you feel scared?
Speaker 4: Responsible, really worried because child protection were involved, and Simon seemed to be of the mind that maybe this was intentional, and I just I just got really scared.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Aaron Patterson, as the listeners have just heard through that evidence. Around this time, she said that they had been in touch with child Protection at the hospital, that there'd been some conversations with some workers while they she and the children were at that medical facility.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she said in the coming days as well, after she left hospital, she met and spoke to employees from the Department of Health and also child Protection, and it was at this point she explained that she started to feel worried that they may remove her children, and she said this was when she made the decision to dump the dehydrator at the tip. And then there was also a little bit more evidence from her about the fact that she recalled with holding information about the fact that she had gone and forage mushrooms at some point. She said though that she really believed what she was telling these officials was true. She really believed at that time that the vast majority of mushrooms in the meal were from Woolworths and from this Asian grosser, and she recalled that her mind started to shift in and think about whether or not there may have been other mushrooms that could have made their way into the meal.
Speaker 2: As you mentioned, with the dumping of the dehydrator, she said that she did, she panicked, and that she made that decision because she was concerned she was going to have her children taken away from her. And she also said that because she knew Child Protection were going to be coming to her home for this home visit. In her words, she thought that perhaps they might start asking questions about this dehydrator, so she'd gone through the process, she said, of going to the tip and removing it before that visit.
Speaker 5: One of the next and final topics of questioning that Colin Mandy was asking his client during her third day of evidence Penny was something.
Speaker 1: Called Exhibit fifty six.
Speaker 5: Now Exhibit fifty six, the jury were told, was a document that shows a number of factory reset records relating to a phone that it was in Aaron Patterson's possession in twenty twenty three, and there was a number of factory resets we heard in the lead up too and after the lunch, and she said that the first one of those factory resets occurred in February twenty twenty three when she was changing phones with her son. There was a string of factory resets, Penny, that were then asked about that happened in August twenty twenty three. She said that, yes, they were mine. I did those factory resets, and she did them, she said for a couple of different reasons. Now, one of those was that she was concerned that around the fifth of August, this is at a time when police were raiding her property. Around this time, she was concerned that there was an app on her phone, a Google account which had photos in it. In Google photos that she knew depicted mushrooms in her dehydrator. And this is another occasion, Penny. She said, she panicked and she did not want the detectives to see them.
Speaker 2: So she said that in the first reset that she said she was responsible for in that August time, that she'd been sort of looking at changing her handset. She also gave some evidence that at one point she thought she might change her number because she said she'd been concerned about what Simon Patterson had said to her at the hospital regarding the allegation about his parents, and that she didn't really want him to necessarily be able to call her now. Ultimately, she said she didn't end up changing her number, but that she was looking at different phones at that time, So she said she'd done that reset, then she'd done the one that she thought in regards to panicking about photos that were on that device, and then there was this other reset once she had handed that phone over to police.
Speaker 1: We'll hear a little bit of how this.
Speaker 2: Was explained in the courtroom with Aaron Patterson and Colin Mandy.
Speaker 3: Then these records show that at some stage on around the fifth of August, there was another factory reset of that phone. Yes, what data was on that phone at the time of that factory reset, just.
Speaker 4: All the apps had put on it since the third And why were.
Speaker 3: We factory resetting at that time? Well, because sorry, I shouldn't say, at that time, at about that time, on that.
Speaker 4: Date, I had put all my apps on it, including my Google account, which included my Google Photos and I knew there were photos in there of mushrooms and the dehydrator, and I just panicked.
Speaker 1: I didn't want them to see them.
Speaker 3: When you say them, who do you mean?
Speaker 1: The detectives.
Speaker 3: And then the last of those resets is on or about six August. Yes, what data was on that phone on the sixth of August?
Speaker 1: Nothing?
Speaker 3: Did you do that factory reset?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 3: And why did you do that?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 4: So at some point, after the search of my house and the interview and the detectives have brought me home, I remember thinking, I wonder if I could log onto my Google account and see where all my devices are. So I did that, and I could see my phone and my son's phone and my daughter's bus tablet. And it was really stupid, but I thought, I wonder if they'd been silly enough to leave it connected to the internet. So I hit factory reset to see what happened, and it did.
Speaker 5: At this point, Penny, I looked to my right and in the front row, that's where the police informant was sitting. And this is at a point where she was explaining, as we just heard in her quotes, that she wanted to see if they were silly enough to leave it on now. Stephen eppings Stall, the detective leadings and your constable in this case, the police informant had his left hand over his mouth at that stage. He was turned and looking at Aaron Patterson, but I didn't see much of a reaction from him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was really a lot of heavy device evidence. Towards the end of this evidence, people who've been listening to the podcast for a while will probably know that there has been multiple elements of phone data and things that have been explained through multiple different devices, and Aaron Patterson has taken through a number of photos from the searches of her home and explaining where she said that things were laptops, that things were phones, and sort.
Speaker 1: Of where they had been and where.
Speaker 2: So, while they talked about these multiple different phones through Aaron Patterson's evidence and went through different devices, she was asked, particularly at the end of her evidence, what had happened to phone A as it's been referred to.
Speaker 1: In the courtroom. And here's a little bit of what the jury heard.
Speaker 3: Where was phone A at this time on the second of November.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know where it was on second of November, But towards the end of September. I got a skip brought to Gibson Street and it went in there with a lot of other broken stuff.
Speaker 3: And why did you get a skip at the end of did you say the end of September?
Speaker 4: The end of September?
Speaker 3: Yeah, why was that?
Speaker 4: It was something I did roughly once a year, just to do a clean out of the house and garage.
Speaker 5: Now a reminder to our listeners that this is day three of Aaron Patterson being in the witness box, but she's still being questioned by her defense barrister Colin Mandy as a defense witness. It will next be the prosecution's decision if they would like to ask questions of her, but at this stage the evidence that we've brought you from Aaron Patterson has come by questioning from her defense barrister.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to this episode of Say Grace. Please press the follow button in your app to get our next episodes as soon as we publish.
Speaker 5: For more reporting on the case, check out the Age of nine News in your browser or app store.
Speaker 2: We'd like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land that this podcast was recorded on and wherever you're listening to it. Now Say Grace is created and hosted.
Speaker 1: By me Penelope Leash, and me erin person. This podcast is produced by Genevieve Rule.