Speaker 1: Prime and Stuff the Labor Party Central Politics with Dennis Shanahan.
Speaker 2: Each weekend. I'm honored, delighted to talk to Dennis Shanahan, national editor of the Australian newspaper, who I'm delighted to say is on the line. Dennis. Maybe unkindly, it was suggested a week or two back that maybe even longer than that, that many Canberrans when they get given the chance of a long weekend head to New South Wales, particularly the South coast. I know there are times where you end up on the South coast of New South Wales, but I'm almost intrigued to know how things are in Canberra this morning. So tell me where you are and tell me what it's like.
Speaker 1: My friend, Well, I am in Canberra. I do go to the coast, Yes, to the Canberra beach right, Yes, and it is winter right, I'm looking out the wind blowing, there is rain and the last few leaves are falling. So you know, I'm a great advocate of camera. I love camera, but I have to admit when it's twinter yes.
Speaker 2: Indeed. Now, both sides of politics seem divided over this proposal to include texts on unrealized capital gains for some super innovation funds, with Jim Chalmers wanting to forge your head with what's becoming an increasingly difficult political position. Now through the week, mate, I saw the Prime Minister saying, oh, you know, this has been out in about for two years. But the problem for the Prime Minister is he couldn't get it across the line. Now it's likely to be across the line somehow. So it is a real thing. So excuse our interest in it, but taxing people on gains that haven't realized. And I don't care what the government says in defense of this. Once they do it in one asset class, who's to say, and the Greens, you know, they're going to have to support the government to get this through and they want negative gearing. Look, who's to say that the Greens won't say, right out, let's do this on another asset class, like your second or third rental property. This has got absolute hair or labor, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: It does. It's a big brown dog. And the thing is what we've got here is something that, as the Prime Minister has said, has been around for two years. This was around long before the election. The government got a huge mandate or a huge majority. In any case, at the election they control the Upper House with no problem at all. They can argue, as Jim Charms is arguing, we've had it out there all the time on these unrealized tax on superannuation also not indexed by the way, and only on self managed funds with totals of more than three million. But that, as you're saying, the principle involved here of taxing something on unrealized gains, that is, you pay tax on paper games. So someone says, oh, your property is now worth four million more, You've got to pay tax on four million although you haven't got it. You have to end up sending selling the property to get the money to pay the tax on the earnings you haven't earned. Really is a nonsense. But what we're seeing politically here, I think is a lot of confusion and a lack of people to grasp reality. Now. When the Prime Minister said this week I'm prepared to deal with the Coalition on a range of issues, including superannuation, he meant it because he knows that the reason that this superannuation tax in any form hasn't gone through in the past two years is because the government didn't control the Senate. And guess what, they still don't control the Senate, so this still has to be negotiated. People have were saying, oh, look, you know they've got this huge majority, just stand aside let them. No, it doesn't work like that. The Senate is still there as a break on the House of Representatives, and Anthony Albanez he knows this. He also is in his second term starting to say, well, you know, we're going to have to get some things through here, and he is signaled to the Coalition, I'm prepared to work with you, and he actually said rather than the Grooms, he doesn't want to do with the Greens. Now. What we then had was Jim Charmers coming out the next day and say, oh, no, I don't think the coalition's fair income. Because Ted O'Brien, the shadow Treasurer, had said he was prepared to negotiate on this. So then the treasurer said, no, not faired income. Then a whole lot of people in the coalition came out and said no, we're not going to cop this either. So we've got Jim Charmers and a whole lot of people on the coalition side saying no, no deal. And then the Coalition came down said no, our position is again, don't realize capital games tax and against and for indexation. So the positions are clear. What we don't have is somebody saying, well, hold on just a minute. If this has to pass and there is a mandate to pass it, there's no doubt about it. It is better. And this is what former governors of the Reserve Bank, former tax secretaries of the Treasury Department, in fact still huge liberal donors and former liberal politicians all saying to the coalition pass it in a better form. They're literally saying the lesser of two evils, wake up, smell the coffee. The government has a huge majority in the House. They can deal purely with the Greens in the Senate and get things through. This is an issue where the Coalition needs to stand up and say we will try and regain some credibility and bargain for the best result. On superannuation and increase tax. There is a mandate for increased tax on some superannuation, but you can do it better. This is the same thing that happened with the super profits tax on mining. The government pushed it through and by the way, Jim Chalmers was.
Speaker 2: Working for Wayne Wayneford. That's right.
Speaker 1: They tried to push it through. It was a complete disaster. It was a badly formed because it hadn't involved the industry, and then in the end they had to just dump it completely and change it completely. You know how much it gets about ten thousand dollars a year. It was meant to get ten billion dollars a year now. So what we're looking at here, I think, is at the moment where Australian politicians need to grasp the reality. And this is particularly the Treasurer and some of those in the Coalition who don't seem to realize things have changed. Labor is in power for three years, the Greens have sole balance of power in the Senate, and the two major parties need to regain some credibility. Yes we need revenue, Yes there is a mandate to get it. It should be done in the best way.
Speaker 2: So the coalition could simply say we're going to try and get a better deal. We sometimes in life you've got to hold your nose and do something you don't like doing. We're going to hold our nose, nome we've got a slightly better deal. But I'll tell you what in three years, these thing's gonski and people go fair enough, we know where you stand. But this on again, off again. Oh no, we're not going to do a deal. They've got no they've got no clout, they've got absolutely nothing. They've had their pants pulled down and they're acting like they're tough guys. Give me a break.
Speaker 1: Definitely, I mean they have no embarrassment at all this. And the point here is that ten O'Brien has said we won't shift on taxing unrealized capital gains. That is a perfectly good principle. There are a lot of people in the Labor Party you don't believe in it. And as you pointed out, Luke, this is the sort of thing that will spread like cancer through the tax system. All of a sudden, people's properties will be involved. There'll be more general capital gains, tax on unrealized capital gains. This is what this will be the beginning of it. It will have a bad effect on superannuation, not to mention farmers and businesses and small businesses and investors. Yes, the government says it's only affecting a few people, but without indexation and with this principle of unrealized capital gains. An estimated number of people affected at the moment would be eighty to one hundred thousand, maybe one hundred and fifty thousand, but it goes to hundreds of thousands over a few years because it's not index. And let's face it, everyone thinks, oh, three million dollars, that's a big that's a lot of superannuation. Well, no, it won't be in tea his time. It'll be average. The cost of the average house at the moment. Yes, in australia's a million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, ex excellent point. Excellent point. Sorry, No, that's that's where that's where you say. It's not where it starts where it's where it ends up. And that's the excellent point you've made. Now I'm going to have to take a break Downnis, because I think you and I have a bit to talk about two words, Donald Trump after this eighteen to ten Dennis Shanahan with me is he is every Saturday morning, Dennis will talk about Donald Trump and albow in a moment. But I think you'd be interested as I'm sure, well you might even well know this, but I'm sure my listeners would as well. That there's been some contribution into the Trump Musk fiasco by a lawyer, David Showen, a criminal defense lawyer who represented Epstein before he died in police custody in twenty nine ten. Now, of course, what has happened is Musk has gone on Twitter or x and he's made mention that in the Jeffrey Epstein file says mentioned of Donald Trump. I think Musk referred to this as time to drop the really big bomb. He said. The real reason the Epstein files haven't been released is because I named Trump, and then we get today from this David Showen, I can authoritatively, unequivocally and definitively say that Epstein had no information to hurt President Trump. I specifically asked him. So that's from the lawyer working with Epstein before he died. Anyway, that's part of this sideshow. I mean, good luck Albow dealing with that. If he's in the room and there's cameras, who knows what Donald Trump will throw at the feet of our prime minister. But tariffs will be back at top of the agenda with next week's meeting in Canada. Mate, we're stealing beef topping that list.
Speaker 1: They certainly will be. And look that is I have been in a press conference in the White House with an Australian Prime Minister, Scott Morrison. We went in, it was just meant to be a quick photo shoot, and Donald Trump talked for half an hour. This is the danger for leaders now appearing with the President of the United States. Ask President Zelenski, it doesn't matter who's there. He will say anything. He could get things wrong. He says things wrong. And this is an exact point on the tariffs. Now. Originally, when the tariff first came up, Donald Trump specifically mentioned Australian beef producers and said Australia was not allowing as US beef into Australia because of tariffs, and that they were responding now that wasn't true. Allowed the import of American beef if they can prove the biosecurity standards that they demand of Australian beef, and that is that you can after mad cow disease and a range of other diseases, that you can prove that your cattle that you are exporting, whether you killed or alive, have been where you can actually say the farm they've come from. Now in the US they can't do that. Even if it's butchered, it may have come from Mexico, it may have come from Canada, and there is still a danger of mad cow disease in both Mexico and Canada. And so if we are going to accept US beef, then they have to demonstrate that it's a bio security issue and that it's safe and that comes from the US, not from Mexico or Canada. If they can't guarantee that, we won't let that in. Now, this became an issue this week as tariffs raised again and Donald Trump put up steel tariffs again, and at first there was a big outcry from farmers. Anthony Albinezi responded quickly and said, look, we are not going to give in on biosecurity. We're not going to give on the beef. That is not a tariff issue. We're not giving in on it. And so he realized the danger there and worked very quickly. However, next week, in the so called sidelines of the G seven meeting, the Prime Minister is due to meet Donald Trump and have a discussion. Tariffs will be part of that, a big part of that, and Australia has been trying for some time now since the introduction of the first tariff, which included tariff's on penguins in Macquarie Island. We're trying to get a better deal on Australian steel and generally for Australia, but we're using mins critical minerals as a bargaining chip that we're saying we won't give way on our pharmaceutical schemes. We won't give way that's going to increase the cost of medicines on our PBS, and we won't give way on beef. So there's two areas there where the Prime Minister has already said we're not shifting. And there are a whole range of other areas where the US, sorry, the UK and the US have come to agreements. Canada has had an agreement. So there are a few countries, and this week the US sent out a letter saying come to us with your best deal. The deadlines now. So next week we will see exactly what the Prime Minister can get out of Donald Trump, if anything, using our store mineral of critical minerals now. Interestingly, Donald Trump said during the week that critical minerals were already a key issue in Ukraine because Ukraine has critical minerals, and that was also part of his discussion with Jijiping of China. So critical minerals are the key that we can use to get some room. But we shouldn't give way on beef, and which is a biosecurity issue, not a terrif issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we've made mining the enemy. So all of a sudden we've got a backflip again, and this time around critical. It's madness I think made. I actually think in the Oval Office or elsewhere that the Trump wild card is to say to Albo, Hey, listen, mate, any chance you can pull your weight in defense? Any chance he could do something because I'm not sending our young men and women and you're back and cry, You've got to do your own heavy lifting. I think we're very vulnerable. There are we?
Speaker 1: Oh? We are? Now this is a big question. This is a second big question for Anthony Albert. Now the US at the Singapore Dialogue actually asked Richard mail Miles face to face for an increase in defense spending a three point five percent of GDP. Now, the Prime Minister and Richard Miles as Defense Minister, said where we are up for this conversation? He didn't confirm the three point five percent figure that came out of the US. But what we've actually got is clearly the US saying to us, and they've been saying to us all along and all their other allies, particularly in Europe, that we have to pull our own weight. We've had the US warning that there's possibility of a Chinese mainland China invasion of Taiwan being imminent and that this could occur before twenty twenty seven, and so there is huge pressure in the region on this. The Prime Minister has been to Indonesia and talked about defence Singapore likewise, Now I think what we have to do, and I think this is what the Prime Minister could be doing. He could be waiting till he sees Donald Trump. And then because Donald Trump's very keen about talking about not having any aces or any cards or any Trumps, and then the Prime Minister can say, well, as a matter of fact, we're looking at doing this ourselves and not being seen to be doing at the behest of Donald Trump, because he's very keen not to be seen to be doing that. But he's keeping his powder dry. People who say, oh, he hasn't you know, is rejected. No, he hasn't rejected the calls. He has kept his powder dry and when the moment comes, he can then see whether it'll be enough.
Speaker 2: All right, mate, have a great weekend. Love that a chat to stay well. See you see Dennis Shanahan back next week.