Speaker 1: Would you hire an overseas trade? Are you a boss that is in a position to hire overseas trads? Well, give me a quick ring one three one eight seven three. Why is it that it's so hard to find trades? And also why if you were a trade, why are there so few traders in the trade? Where's everybody going to one three one eight seven three or on the text zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. Because Australia has a massive housing demand and supply problem with a huge lack of tradees and a property expert Garth Davis is on the phone morning to you mate. So WA have this build a life in Wa trad incentive and there's ten k in involved in this too. Where does that come from?
Speaker 2: They offer ten thousand dollars to get people to move across obviously quite a long way to come. So basically they get five grand once they arrive to help them with some in costs, and then there's a five grand later on once they place for a period of time. So it has been very successful so far, particularly with people of New Zealand where some of their constructions slowed up a little bit. They've got they've got ability and access of excessive workers there and getting them to Western Australia.
Speaker 3: And so far, so good. We're working really well.
Speaker 2: They seem to have had five main top occupations that.
Speaker 3: Have been so far through the program.
Speaker 2: That's been electricians, cops, plumbers, brick layers and earth moving plant operators.
Speaker 1: So ten grand for traders from New Zealand to relocate. This could be the answer nationwide. But why don't we have enough tradees in Australia.
Speaker 3: Well that's a really good thing and look it's gain.
Speaker 2: We're finding that younger people are sort of moving away from those sort of more if we call them hard sort of outdoor brick laying jobs, contracuting jobs, preferring to try and get more the IT jobs and sort of desk and internal jobs. So the problem is there. It probably hasn't enough focus. And the trainee roles around construction really also they have that really helps building and construction employers to cover the cost employing apprentice and trainees, so that no silver ball at harder we get more tradees to build more properties which were desperate for. We need more properties for people to occupy and more properties for rental, and a huge part of that problem is around the supply. The problems around the supplies. We don't have enough tradees, so we to go and poach some. We're going to have to incentivize some to come infantry. But the longer term solution is that we actually need we need a lot of funding and really target around the prep and the training. We've got to make that become very much more attractive for the younger people to come through those pathways.
Speaker 1: And how do the existing tradees in USU Tralia.
Speaker 3: I feel about this scheme, Well.
Speaker 2: Look the way it is at the moment, there's a massive undersupply of them.
Speaker 3: I know for a.
Speaker 2: Fact one when I was at a lone recently and it's just some of the numbers really sort of blow your mind. The average of a brick layer in Western Australia is sixty two. So we do not have young enough people, enough younger people coming through these these very important skills and jobs that need to be filled, and so it's becoming a big protz in a lot of cases. I don't think the establish people and the trades in the market chare and the workforce have got a problem with that.
Speaker 3: In fact, getting over work. They're working maybe six days a week, seven days a week.
Speaker 2: They really under pressure because we need we need these property builders are under pressure to produced them faster. They're putting trades under pressure, and there's stress because there's stress in the building.
Speaker 3: Industry because there's not enough trade.
Speaker 2: Ones that we do have are getting pushed too hard, and you know, and that's not good too, because it starts affecting their wealth, health and also the quality of the bills.
Speaker 1: And what about the employees. Are they keen for the hiring and overseas trading?
Speaker 2: Yes, again if the red tape taken away from that. So they're desperately in most of the capital cities around the country and they're trying to bring in more labor. And it's this catch twenty two in Australia where we try to manage the immigration into the country because you know, part of the problem is we haven't managed well the housing supply and the immigration coming in. So we've had too much emission coming in and too little supply of dwellings and homes. So that's how we've got us into this problem. We've got too many people for the houses that we've got at the moment. That's the prices and the rents. So what we need to do is we do need to get these skilled labors. And it's not in construction, it's another specific trades and industries. But we need to be bringing the right type of people that can help us out of this problem because the only way we're going to get out of this problem is to supply, and supply we need more skilled labor and you know in the civic areas again electricians, cop and as plumber's, brick layers, earth movers.
Speaker 3: Et cetera. And what we've got to do is bring in the.
Speaker 2: Right people in the right quantities so we can actually get the supply, but not further make it harder for finding residents and putting a roof over people's heads because if we're going to bring these trade is in got to live somewhere, so it has to be managed very very carefully and cutting the red tape that we can get them in quickly, get their right approvals, right training, if they've got to do any slight conversions with their skills, and let's get these people on the tools and let's get building these homes that we desperately need.