S1: There's probably no bigger name in Queensland's political history than former Premier Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen. He will be long remembered by both his many supporters and many, many detractors as well. Controversial, to say the least, dictatorial to say the worst. And today marks 26 years, can you believe? Since the famous Fitzgerald Report was submitted on the 3rd of July 1989? And didn't that put the cat among the pigeons? Now there's a newly minted television documentary airing on Stan. Joh, last King of Queensland is the title of that. Joining us now on for Busy Mornings is one of the producers of this doco. I've heard so many great things about Alan Erson. Good morning Alan. Morning. What drew you to this subject? He's a very multi-layered figure, isn't he? Sir. Joh?
S2: Yeah, he's I mean, he's, uh, he's, uh, he's a really important Australian. Um, and I know that, uh, you know, amongst the team, especially my colleague Veronica Fury. Uh, she'd been wanting to make this film for more than a quarter of a century. Um, and it's a you know, the Joe story is, you know, is a is a is a great chunk of Australian history. Uh, and, you know, Queensland is an important part of Australia, not just in Queensland, of course, but it's, you know, it's a it's a state that people from the southern states are often moved to or, you know, look to. You know, it's a, it's a in some ways Queensland's an aspirational place. Um, and it's also it's also there's a there's a increased relevance the now um which is the rise of authoritarian authoritarian figures all over the world. Yes. Donald Trump, but also, um, you know, you know, Modi in India, Erdogan and Turkey, um, you know, big, big, strong men winning election after election and governing, uh, in a, you know, in a very decisive and not necessarily always democratic way. That's something that is a characteristic of the Joh Bjelke-Petersen era. And we wanted to explore that. And, you know, not just Joe, but Queenslanders and why Queenslanders elected him six times as premier and why he was widely loved and still loved to this day.
S1: Do you think I was only a kid growing up when he was sort of in his reign? And do you think people got to know Queensland and knew of Queensland because of Sir Joh and the notoriety that he brought and his famous way of talking?
S2: Ah, I think he, um, you know, he was a he was a colossus on the Australian stage, but he had a, he, he did have a particular appeal in Queensland that I think perhaps people from outside didn't understand and still don't. And that's what the one of the things I think the film does quite a good job of exploring, uh, the, the appeal and also the, the, the opposite of that, the, the fact that, you know, as he, as he became more and more entrenched in power and as the things that he did as, you know, the building, the building corruption, the, uh, the clampdown on people's civil liberties, is, um, you know, he then generated a, you know, equally an equally powerful, you know, hatred among some people and that so, you know, you have it was a very dramatic time in Queensland and totally, totally fascinating.
S1: Yeah, yeah.
S2: From the perspective of now.
S1: You've got some iconic Aussie actor. Richard Roxburgh actually delivers the unique and they are unique Sir Joe monologues. How did that all come about?
S2: Yeah, the the monologues are inspired by a massive amount of research that we did, um, of of Joe, of things Joe said, um, things Joe wrote, uh, things people think, you know, both reported both directly what he said and published, but also what, what he said to other people. Um, and it's written by, um, the Queensland writer Matthew Condon and the director, Chris Stenders, who's also a Queenslander. Matthew's been, uh, you know, deep in Queensland history for decades. Uh, you know, he published, um, the trilogy of books about corruption in Queensland. um, that are sitting on my desk here and, you know, they're seminal works. So what the idea, what Richard Roxburgh does is it's clear that Richard Roxburgh, he, he, he channels Joe from, from from a time when at the end of Joe's career, when he was he, he was gone. Um, he, he, uh, there's a moment where he was the party had decided that they didn't want him to be the leader anymore, and he went into his office, and he didn't come out for a number of for for a number of days. Um, and he wouldn't he didn't come out to face the parliament, his party or the press. Um, so we imagine that we imagine that moment, and then Richard performs, uh, you know, monologues based on Joe's. You know, what ideas that Joe expressed right across his life. So it's like a, it's a the audience understands that. It's a it's an evocation of ideas that Joe stood for throughout different stages of his, his long career. Um, and it helps we think and we hope that people are, you know, it helps people get inside his character. And it sits alongside the rich archive. Um, and interview from um commentators. That is the majority of the documentary.
S1: Was there anything from any of the people interviewed that surprised or shocked you?
S2: Uh, I, I'd note that, first of all, that his, uh, that I mean, we have, you know, we've been researching this for more than a year. I have and the team, as I say, Matthew, decades and many other people. So not necessarily surprised. Just the the depth of feeling still surprise me. I know that might sound a bit naive, but it, it really, you know, the the Fury, um, his his his family appear in the documentary. His, um, three daughters and his son.
S1: I was going to say, did you get much cooperation from family, friends and political luminaries? Journos.
S2: Yeah. They they the family are really are really. We're really grateful that they appeared. Um. and that they're, you know, because because part of the idea that Chris really wanted to get to is the director was not to cast, uh, to cast, to get inside the idea of who Joe was and why he connected with people in Queensland across such a long time. So what's that engagement? So, you know, people, you know, people voted for Donald Trump. They voted for many of the authoritarian leaders that we have in the world today. They consistently voted for Joe. They liked a lot of things about what he did. Why? What was it? What was it about Joe? So, yeah, Bob Katter is a fascinating, uh, commentator and colleague of Joe's. But not without not not not lacking in criticism of him, um, as well. His family are just you just you just you get a sense of what he was like, what their family was like, which is, you know, they they seem they seem remarkably at peace for people, often for people who are the children of, um, of of of big, big, powerful men. That doesn't always it doesn't always make for an easy life for their kids. Um, so that was it was interesting to get a glimpse into the dynamics of the family. And I think on the, on the people who are, um, who, you know, who still still passionately, um, furious with Joe. I mean, I think Lionel Fogarty, um, First Nations man and poet, he, you know, even just his manner of speaking and his the perspective from which he comes, like, you know, that that era, that Joe era, like, we don't get into loads of detail about the land rights era, but the that that it's it's like that really, you know, that's, you know, that's a, that's it's still a visceral, visceral, um, viscerally felt, uh, debate now.
S1: Yeah. I even remember the Gough Whitlam at the time called him a Bible bashing bastard. At one stage there was a lot of feeling towards him. Uh, how much do you think did you get the answer to why people voted him in for so many, so many terms, or do we have to watch this special?
S2: I think you have to watch the film, but I think we have a good go at it. And I think it's like there's you can I think especially for Queenslanders, I think it's, you know, because everyone's people have will have family memories of the if you're of a certain age um, and even people will, you know, even even people who are too young to remember Joe if they ask their if they ask their relations, they will. There's a he's still really there in the atmosphere. But I think some really practical things that people talk about, um, there's the electoral boundaries factor. You know.
S1: The gerrymander.
S2: Inherited the gerrymander, which apparently is not, strictly speaking, a gerrymander. It's a malapportionment of of the boundary anyway. Whatever. But it's called gerrymander in Queensland. And he inherited that and never and then never addressed it. So that helped him. Yes. So really practical, you know, faults in our democracy, but also, uh, you know, 1971 Um, Springbok tour. He let the cops loose on the protesters and that really worked for him. A lot of people really like that. They really they, you know, uh, picking out an enemy, uh, you know, um, Queensland identity, you know, we're Queenslanders, we're Australians. But yeah, we're we're like better Australians and a bit of and yep, the Melbourne and Sydney people look down on us and you know, but we really should be looking down on them because it's better here.
S1: Yeah.
S2: Yeah that really appealed. Um and that but the other thing is he delivered massive development over the time he was there. He delivered, you know, growth. Um, you know, he and not not just him, but he, he, you know, capitalism went hard. I mean, you know, mining, uh, development, you know, counting cranes on the Gold Coast. I mean, you know, that's a that's that's a lot of people got their slice of the Australian dream in that era. And whether, you know, a lot of them attributed at least that in part to Joe.
S1: What about the famous, uh, he was always famous for his rhetoric and his. I say to you, I feed the chooks, all that sort of thing. And do you think that was that was him, or was he deliberately being confusing a bit sort of Trump like? In a way, Trump sort of says what's on his mind and just blasts it out there.
S2: That's that's fascinating because he's a smart guy. Not not not classically articulate, but really, you know, you know what some people call them cunning. Some people, you know, someone calls them God. One of the you know, David Littleproud calls them God. You know, um, I mean, you know, it's it's, you know, he's um, the way he express himself is absolutely because of Trump. Partly. But also he's just you know what? He never he never he never felt like talking down at us. I think that's one of the key things. And watching hours and hours of archive. I mean, when you put him up, we cut him up against Gough Whitlam, you know, Fulbright, you know, um, and Bob Katter calls Gough Whitlam, you know, arrogant and couldn't see it coming. Couldn't see, couldn't, couldn't see the opposition coming. And I don't think Gough Whitlam's out of touch with Australians, but he was he was definitely a guy that you look up to. Whereas I think people, especially Queenslanders, felt looked, felt they were looking across at Joe. I mean, Joe had a lot of power. He garnered, he garnered power, he held on to it. He maximised his power and he wielded it. So you weren't looking at across at him. You were looking at Upham. He was a very, very powerful man. And if you got on the wrong side of him, that would, you know, the consequences could be brutal.
S1: Well, it sounds like it's a fascinating doco. And you're right, a lot of people today still yearn for the years of Joe. And a lot of people love him as many hate and don't like as well. So this sounds like it's fascinating, warts and all. Uh, Joe, last king of Queensland. I can't wait to have a look at it. And, uh, congratulations. I really appreciate your time.
S2: No, thanks. I hope people enjoy it on Stan. And, uh, and and, you know, argue, um, you know, laugh, cry, cheer, because, you know, it's important.