S1: When Reece Walsh is in the mood like he was against Penrith last night. I can't put a line through them to one, make the eight nor give the competition a shake because in a very unpredictable season made funnier. Things have happened than Brisbane winning the comp.
S2: Well happy Friday everyone. Thanks for tuning in to the Continuous Call Team daily podcast. My name is Adam Hawes and I'm joined by columnist for The Australian Andrew Webster. G'day.
S1: G'day, horsey. And do you mind if I also do a shout out to the random guy that stopped me on the street about 20 minutes ago and said how much he loves this podcast? And I said, I said, am I making sense? He said, you are. But that bloke Hawes seems to gibber a bit. So obviously he's a very, very, uh, very intelligent man. By the sounds of it.
S2: There would have been a line up of well-wishers, wouldn't there?
S1: They love it.
S2: Yeah. Just fending, fending them off. Okay. Um, I gotta ask you. Hey, can you hear that sound? Can you hear the sound? What's that? It's it's the Broncos galloping back.
S1: Galloping.
S2: Into the Premiership. Right? You like that? The galloping back into the Premiership race. What a game last night. I love this game against the Panthers.
S1: Can we have a listening?
S2: You hear something?
S1: I can hear it. I can hear some galloping. That's because that's what I've got. Sky racing on in the corner. Uh, yes you did. I thought it was, uh. It was, it was classic Brisbane, wasn't it? Um, you know, uh, Michael Maguire said in the lead up to that game that this is the strongest team for the first time since April, that they've been able to, uh, build a fully fit team. Although I don't think Adam Reynolds was fully fit. He's, um, how he got through those 80 minutes. I don't know, he's, um, he's a warrior, the little fella. Uh, but important to that Broncos team. And, um, you know, if you wanted to make a statement that the Broncos aren't dead yet, what better way to do it over the team that everyone expects to win this, uh, this, this competition in a canter? See that there's a little there's a little horse reference there as well. But but it was I thought it, I thought it was very I thought it was very Broncos like. The big question is, can they maintain the rage and sneak into the eight and scare the bejesus out of every other team in the competition?
S2: Well, that's what Madge Maguire said through the week. We can still put a fright into the teams above us, and I think the I think he did just that last night. That was very much. 2025 Broncos late season last night against the Panthers. As you say, they've gone and beaten the ladder leaders on their home turf. Webby and the man central to it all. A man who made sure they got the win was Reece Walsh. And he's the one that caught fire last year. Of course, that was his best game by a mile last night. No mistakes, just some great touches. Three tries since he was a danger. Every time he had the ball and he he just looked like he wanted to win from the very first kick off.
S1: 100% when Reece Walsh's into it. The Broncos are into it. It helps when they're going forward like like they were last night for a change. Um you know it's they haven't been playing the greatest football at all. I suppose the big question is can they beat. And this is probably works in their favour, but it also makes it a daunting task because there's no easy wins. Every team they play for the next seven weeks, uh, are above them on the ladder. Some of them are like, like the Bulldogs and Canberra almost on the same points, but all but also teams like, uh, like the Cowboys and others who are already established in the eight. So funnier things have happened. Horsie. I know they're coming from a long way back in comparison to what they did last year, but with the players they've got, and particularly when Reece Walsh is in the mood like he was against Penrith last night, I'm not. I can't put a line through them to one, make the eight nor nor give the competition a shake because in a very unpredictable season and I know the Panthers and and the Warriors have sort of been the frontrunners up there but in a very unpredictable season made funnier. Things have happened than Brisbane winning the comp.
S2: Yeah. Look, there are only 1 or 2 injuries away or a suspension away though aren't they. They just I just get the feeling they've left themselves too much to do. But like you, you're a fool to write them off. We all have egg on our face. What I think it has done, whereby it has breathed new life into the Premiership race, because I used to look at that bottom nine and think, well, who's going to really come through and do any damage? There was no one really standing out to me. But now you've got the defending premiers potentially at full strength, gathering some steam. Uh, suddenly teams, people are sitting up taking notice these last eight rounds.
S1: You know what I find like to me, they the Broncos showed in that game like they did in the preliminary last year on their way to the Premiership. The best way to try and I don't know if you can rattle Penrith. They're just not a team that's rattled easily. But if you can stay in the grind with them and if you can, you know, if you can unsettle them. I mean, the way that Haas, Payne Haas went after Liam Henry, you know all night, like if you can get up on them and cut their time down and you cut Nathan's time down in particular, you know, they can they can they've got a they've got a blue in them. Um they can, they've got, they've got an error in them now and then, but like, like all teams, um, you know, they're not robots but they're very hard to break down. Penrith. But Brisbane have showed again that they're capable of doing it.
S2: Just on the Panthers. That is now three losses from their last four games. Webby. I mean they were cruising for much of the season three losses in four games. Very upset. Penrith like is there any cause for concern there.
S1: I don't know. You know as well as I do that it's hard to make judgments on teams around this time of year coming in, going through origin, and then at the other side of it, like there's still a lot of footy to be played before the finals. So I still think Penrith are clearly the team to beat. Thanks, scoop. That's hardly breaking news. But but but I mean I don't think I don't I wouldn't even say they've got the wobbles. I know they've lost. They've dropped a couple in the last month. But again it's always makes it hard to to judge um you know through the origin period. So yeah. There you go. If anyone wants to clip that one up Bronco Panthers still the team to beat.
S2: Breaking news here every day.
S1: Breaking news here on the NRL daily.
S2: I think um look I think uh they're tapering. They're getting themselves ready for the back end. Nathan Cleary you can't tell me Nathan Cleary is flat out last night after origin. Uh, let's move it along to third party agreements. You love Tpas Webbe. And Jarome Luai is picking up quite a few with his PNG deal, which came out this week. It's a big reason why. Apparently the Tigers wanted to move him on.
S1: Uh, look, I'd love third party deals. I'd love to get my hands on some of these tax free third party deals that, uh, the PNG players are going to get. Look, I don't know how much that played on the Tigers minds to push him out. I mean, Alex Johnston's got a third party deal with PNG companies. You know at the moment he needs with South Sydney. And you get enough buys during your uh during a season to go service them. And if you if you can't, if you've got to go to, to Port Moresby and, and do promotional work, whatever. Most of the time these third parties are as much about putting, uh, you know, putting, putting someone's face on a billboard. I suppose the thing that I wanted to talk about mostly today, though, is the fact, and I think it's been forgotten entirely in this whole drama about Jerome Louis and him moving on. Louis, neither I nor Parramatta nor the the the Tigers and nor PNG from earlier this year when they sign him in the first place in in late April, have done anything wrong. You know, I find the whole comparison with what happened with Lachlan Gaven last year ridiculous. Lachlan Gordon wanted to break a contract to leave the club. Um, so to compare that to the Jerome Louis situation doesn't make sense at all. The thing that I think is forgotten in this whole thing is, uh, that when Jarome Luai signed with the Tigers in January 2024, no one knew there was. There'd been talk about PNG coming in the competition, but there was so much uncertainty about it, and nobody knew at all that they were going to get complete tax free dollars, not just on their contracts, their playing contracts, but also the third party agreements from 28 onwards when they enter the competition. Do you think the Tigers at all, or any club for that matter, would be putting in get out clauses like the one they gave Jerome? Louis, knowing that that incentive was around the corner to join a new franchise? Not at all. The Tigers wouldn't have done it. So I think the bigger picture here is just how much the NRL has thrown out the player market by rushing in all these tax free incentives to prop up the PNG chiefs without really thinking it through, because that's going to be a drama moving forward in the next few years when, you know, there's so many, uh, third party opportunities up there. And I know the reported number was around 900,000 a year. I'm told it's actually a hell of a lot more. Or has the potential to be a hell of a lot more with 3 or 4 other, um, third parties in PNG ready to throw the bank of Jerome, Louis and whoever else is going to be there. Now, you talk to some club bosses and they'll say, you know, they're not that worried about it at all. They think it's overblown, but you talk to others and you talk to some player managers who are rubbing their hands together with glee. Um, you know, there's opportunities there. There's a lot of opportunities to make a hell of a lot of money, particularly if you're a marquee like Jerome Louis.
S2: Are you saying the problem is that, um, there's going to be a stampede to Port Moresby? Are you saying that players are going to be promoting these third parties while they're still at their existing club before they relocate to PNG, which is going to be the case with Jerome Louis next year at Parramatta.
S1: Well, that's what they. But they can do that now. That's you know, that's that's what Alex Johnston's doing as I said, doing it for playing for Souths and promoting um, uh PNG companies. He's doing that already. So I don't think Jerome's going to be doing anything that's untoward. I just think, as I said, the main problem is I don't think the NRL, in their haste to make sure the Chiefs were competitive, I think they've tipped the balance a little bit too far. And that's what I mean. The player market is going to be very, very skewed in the next few years. So where it lands I don't know. But it's very hard to take something back after you've given it, and I can't see the NRL having to backtrack on. I mean, those tax free incentives are enshrined for the next ten years of their existence. So you know.
S2: It doesn't win every it doesn't it doesn't win over everyone Webby because Mitch Kenny has just resigned with the Panthers. There was a lot of talk that PNG were going to chase him. But he says, you know what? I'm happy where I am. I'm at a successful club. I love it here. I'm staying. I don't ever want to hear what you've got to offer. So it's not for everyone.
S1: I agree, I understand that that's what I said. I don't think every club's sort of jumping at it, but I do. I can see it and there's a lot of talk amongst all the other clubs and player managers about how much it's going to skew the market because of those tax free incentives.
S2: I just want to come back to what you said about the governance situation with Jerome Lou. I think he did leave himself open to some criticism, Jerome, because he was saying all we're all in here. You know, let's, uh, we're all about team first, all those sort of posts he put out on social media, then then to use an exit clause to go and sign with someone else. He did leave himself open to that criticism. That, mate, you've gone against what you said.
S1: Yeah. To what? To a point. But he's the professional footy. That's. That's life in Australia.
S2: It is.
S1: Business break. It didn't break though did he.
S2: No no he didn't. But you got to understand.
S1: He didn't have he didn't have the other club sort of sitting there wooing him through media contacts and channels. You know, for the best part of a year. I think that's as I said, I understand the emotion around it, particularly from from Tigers fans and from Bulldogs Bulldogs fans. But in the dead set, fair dinkum department, they're chalk and cheese.
S2: Zac Lomax he's heading to the Chiefs. That seems to be the way it's going. He needs to make up some money that he's lost the last couple of deals he's done. So, uh, is that what you're hearing? It sounds like a three year deal at the Chiefs.
S1: Speaking of walking out of contracts. Yeah. Zac Lomax has, uh, walked out of a couple, but he won't be walking out of the one with Rugby Australia, which ends, uh, next season after he may or may not play in the World Cup. The feeling I've got from the phone calls I've made in the last couple of days is that it's pretty much feels like it's a done deal. Um, and for that reason, if he can make up the money that he's lost from walking out on these NRL deals, uh, there's money to be made. As I said in, in Papua New Guinea, um, uh, Rugby Australia, from the discussions I've had with them in the last 24 hours, they're more than comfortable with it. They haven't paid overs for, for Zac Lomax, it was never about trying to put one over uh, rugby league at all. Uh, I think it comes with a little bit of a rider. If Zac Lomax does, he's got an osteoporosis issue at the moment, which is a which is a bastard of an injury. But if he can come back from that and make his way into that Wallabies team, particularly, uh, next year during the World Cup, he may be able to, uh, garner a lot of interest from the likes of, uh, of French rugby and Japanese rugby who are playing, paying enormous amounts of money at the moment, as we know. But whether, uh, whether, uh, Zac wants to wait that long and wait to see how he's, uh, he's what his value is like in, in the rugby union market, as opposed to getting a deal done as soon as he can with, uh, with the Chiefs. I suppose that's going to be the big question.
S2: Uh, maybe just want to finish with a story in the Herald today, uh, with cam McInnes, one of the great guys in the NRL. And he says the sharks are on the wrong end of the penalty count because they are playing fair. Fair by the rules, Webby. They're not lying down looking for penalties like every other team. And it's come back to bite them apparently.
S1: I love that, I love Cameron McInnes as a Dragons fan. I was devastated when he, uh, he left the club. He's my type of player with the way he plays the things he says, his teeth. That's my kind of guy. That's my kind of player. And this makes him even more so because there is nothing that I hate more than watching players. They don't even lay down in in league. They just sort of even when they just sort of get up to their one knee while on the waiting to play the play the ball, waiting for them.
S2: You know why they do that.
S1: Waiting, waiting for the bunker to to step in. It's like.
S2: Because if they if they lie down on the ground, they've got to go off for an HR. I get it, I get it, I get it. They've twigged. Oh, let's take it. Let's take a knee. Yeah. And they can't order us off.
S1: But you know. But rugby league has never been about that. I found a story um recently from it was saying this is how long ago it was. Ricky Stuart was coaching Cronulla and Ivan Cleary was coaching the Warriors. And Ricky came out after a. It might have been a loss and he wins for Australia about the game turning into soccer. Now, if anyone's been watching the FIFA World Cup now that is uh, now that's diving at a next level. Like they get a broken eyelash and they're writhing around in pain on the on the ground. So hopefully rugby league doesn't go too far down that path. But it is certainly taking that, uh, that going in that direction in many ways. So, um, I've got on camera McGuinness and the sharks for saying no to diving no diving here.
S2: Yeah. In in what he's saying is right. Because because they're not diving. They're missing the penalties, though. That's wrong. That's where referees need to have a look at themselves and go, you know, it was a high tackle. Just because he's playing on doesn't mean it's not a penalty. That's right. You know the the teams that are throwing themselves on the ground are getting the favors from the refs. So this actually comes back to the match. Officials have a closer look and don't penalize teams for doing the right thing, which effectively is what's going on at Cronulla.
S1: I'm sure Peter, I'm sure Peter V'landys now is in the interim Supreme Leader role or whatever it is that he's going to have at the NRL. Now that Andrew Abdo has left, I'm sure Peter will will sort it all out for us.
S2: Okay. Well that wraps us up. What do you think you mate would have said about today's podcast?
S1: I think he would have been happy with both our performances. As you should. Good. I'm going to give you the three Dally M points. I'll take him. I'll take the two.
S2: All right. Track him down next week. Want some more feedback, Webbie? Enjoy your weekend. Thank you so much for your contribution. As always.
S1: Thank you horsie.
S2: And that is the continuous call team daily for this week. Make sure you tune in next week. You can catch us on Instagram and YouTube.