S1: From the newsrooms of the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. This is the morning edition. I'm Samantha Salinger Morris. It's Wednesday, March 5th. Communities in Queensland and New South Wales have been spotted panic buying and stripping supermarket shelves bare as they brace themselves for the arrival of Tropical Cyclone Alfred. Because while the weather system has already whipped up waves more than eight metres tall in one area off the coast of Queensland, it's expected to hit land tomorrow or Friday. And many Australians know all too well 50 years on from Cyclone Tracy, which devastated Darwin, just how much damage a cyclone can create.
S2: Gusts of more than 100km/h officially hitting at 3 a.m. with deadly effect.
S1: But just how bad might the damage be this time around? Today, senior meteorologist Angus Hines from the Bureau of Meteorology on why Tropical Cyclone Alfred is so unusual and where it's expected to hit, and on the increasing numbers of Australians who are looking to social media and storm chasing websites rather than government trackers for information about this cyclone. So, Angus, we have seen strong winds and huge surf conditions hit the coast of Queensland, and we know that Queensland Premier David Crisafulli has urged residents to listen to warnings from authorities. Now we're recording this on Tuesday morning, but what are the latest developments of Cyclone Alfred? And I guess how concerned should people in Queensland actually be?
S3: Yeah, yeah. Good morning. It is a really significant weather system. We don't see tropical cyclones down here very often. They really do pack a punch, both in terms of damaging and destructive wind, but also widespread persistent heavy rainfall and the flooding which comes out of that rainfall, which is expected to be significant. We've got the potential for some major flooding on both sides of the state border in the coming days.
S4: Millions of Queenslanders are currently in the firing line of Tropical Cyclone Alfred, as the storm is upgraded to a category two storm.
S5: Surge is already pummeling the coast, combining with this morning's higher than usual tides.
S6: If it crosses the coast there, it'll be the first tropical cyclone to directly hit the region in more than 50 years.
S7: Around the time of crossing, those wave, heights may push towards 8 or 9m, so incredibly large waves that are.
S5: Having island is continuing to disappear beneath the waves. For the second time.
S3: We didn't anticipate Alfred to approach Australia, particularly south east Queensland and north east New South Wales, slowly through the days on Wednesday and Thursday, and likely reach the south east coast of Queensland sometime late in the day on Thursday, perhaps Thursday evening, Thursday night or maybe even the first few hours of Friday morning. This is going to be a significant event. People in that part of the country. For Queensland, it's likely to be south of about Fraser Island. Gallery on the east Coast, right down to the border, and for New South Wales, perhaps north of around about. Coffs Harbour should absolutely be aware and up to date with what's going on with Tropical Cyclone Alfred as it approaches and eventually reaches the coastline. So this is a big weather event, absolutely one to be across and be up to date with all the information and and how it might affect your area.
S1: Now, Angus, of course you've mentioned New South Wales there, which is also under threat. And we know that this is a bit unusual. You know, the state is bracing for its first tropical cyclone in more than three decades. So why does this particular cyclone have this I guess unusual breadth.
S3: Yeah, it is unusual. It is really unusual to see tropical cyclones get as far south as New South Wales. It does happen from time to time. The last time there was some sort of minor skirting impacts from a tropical cyclone in the north of New South Wales was 2019 with Tropical Cyclone Oma, but it didn't make the landfall there. So this could be a real shift compared to that most recent one. Look, it's been a whole combination of factors which have led to the track of Alfred. We've got very warm waters over the Coral Sea and even down into the northern Tasman. So while a tropical cyclone moving south normally moves over cold waters, and that's what sort of tends to make it weaken away. This one's still over some relatively warm waters. There's still enough heat and fuel there to sustain it. That's a pretty big reason as to why we're still seeing this exist as a tropical cyclone. And then we've got some other atmospheric patterns at play. We've got some big highs and and lows around Australia, which has sort of been pushing it and nudging it and steering it and dragging it southwards. So the whole array of factors have been working together to pull Alfred down towards that New South Wales Queensland coastline. And yeah, pretty unusual to see tropical impacts that far south in the country.
S1: And like you mentioned before, you know, one of the biggest concerns, I think, both for Queensland and even potentially New South Wales is of course this massive amount of rainfall, which of course brings flooding into the picture. So are there particular areas, whether it's in Queensland or in New South Wales or both, that, you know, people really would want to be wondering if they're going to be hit with a flood. Because obviously, I know if I was in any of those areas, I'd be thinking, is this? Is this going to be me? Is this going to be my home town?
S3: Yeah, well, major flooding is possible sort of all around the crossing point of the tropical cyclone. So again, in Queensland, I'd be looking for that Fraser Island Gary, right down to the southern state border, uh, particularly east of the Great Dividing Range in New South Wales. I'd be looking from around about Coffs Harbour northwards on the eastern side of the mountains, in particular, when the cyclone does arrive, what we typically see is the worst of the rain and the worst of the flooding is on the southern side of where it arrives. So if it does arrive somewhere around that Sunshine Coast region, which is currently the the forecast track in places south of the Sunshine Coast will probably pick up the most rain and the most significant flooding. And that's actually all to do with the way that the wind moves around a tropical cyclone. It moves in a clockwise fashion, which means in this part of the world. When it reaches the coast, it's that southern side where the winds are really slamming against the country. And that's what brings the most significant rain on that side.
S1: And tell us, I guess, about, you know, how potentially devastating I guess this might be, because I know that in New South Wales in particular, there was the 2022 floods in and around the northern River area, which was the biggest flood in modern Australian history. So are we looking at something that has the potential to be that devastating?
S3: It's pretty hard to say that this far ahead of time, whether we could match those record breaking floods from a few years ago, but we certainly could see some extremely significant flooding, perhaps in those same areas or perhaps in some different areas of north eastern New South Wales or south eastern Queensland. We've got some really big rainfall tallies, which we're anticipating multiple hundreds of millimetres of rain per day for several days in a row. So we could be seeing some spots get over half a metre of rain during during, say, the three day around the crossing. So probably from Thursday through until about Saturday or Sunday is when the bulk of the rain will occur. And if we do see those numbers up over 500mm, that is going to be major flooding, both major flash flooding and major riverine flooding. So really, really significant event is on the cards.
S1: And I know we've been focusing on rain and flooding and they're of course terrifying. But you did mention, of course, that destructive winds, you know, they're a part of this as well. And they could be hugely damaging. So can you give us an example of what sort of damage? I guess just the wind from a category two cyclone can can create.
S3: Oh yeah, it can be. You're absolutely right. Wind is a major part of it, particularly right on that crossing time. What we often see when a cyclone crosses the coast is the wind is the first thing to sort of die away and ease off. But the rain can go for several days. So it's really that first 6 to 12 hours during and after the crossing where the wind could be worst. And if we are seeing gusts over 150km an hour at that time, that can be extremely damaging. Certainly damaging enough to to cause some significant damage to property. Take down fences, outhouses, sheds, blow your trampoline and your furniture around. Maybe take off some roof panels. Things like that can also take down branches and some potentially entire trees. And of course, it can really put a lot of stress on the power network. You get a tree over some power lines, you can really see significant power outages. And we often do in times of strong wind, see resulting power outages. So those are the types of things that are possible. It can also make for really difficult conditions to travel around in hard to drive, particularly on either motorbikes or vehicles with tall sides like caravans, buses, trucks, things like that. And of course it's going to be a very hard to fly in those conditions, so likely to see disruptions in that area as well. So it really does make everything pretty difficult and it can cause really significant damage and outages.
S1: We'll be right back. So, Angus, can you actually explain just briefly what a cyclone actually is and how it forms? And why is it that one can change so rapidly?
S3: Yeah, tropical cyclone is a weather system. It's an individual weather system. So it's a big rotating stream of air races around in a circle. And if you've seen those satellite images, you often see a hole in the middle. That's what we call the eye of the tropical cyclone. It's actually quite calm in that eye. But right around it, what we call the eye wall, the winds are extremely powerful, spinning around in a circle there. And then as you sort of radiate outwards from that, the winds do do slacking off a little bit. The further you get from the center often that'll be sort of several hundred kilometers across with very strong winds. Also, around that eye and the eye wall, we see a lot of rainfall, a lot of thunderstorms, and it's just a very, very powerful weather system. Now, how they form a few things have to align in the atmosphere for them to form, which is why they're not just forming all the time. Every day things have to line up and be just right. So number one is we need really warm water. And the reason is a lot of the energy for the tropical cyclone comes from the heat from the ocean. So that's why they only really form in the tropics, because they get so much sunshine all year. In the tropics of the sea, surface temperatures are fairly warm, so they need to be in the high 20s, really 28, 29 degrees in terms of the ocean temperatures. And the second thing which has to align to allow tropical cyclone to form is the wind in the atmosphere, not just the wind at the surface where you and I would notice it, but the wind throughout the height of the atmosphere. So in the the bottom five KS, ten KS of the atmosphere, the winds have to align. And we basically want light winds throughout that whole column above the tropical cyclone. So those are two of the really key things. And actually lining them up is not super common.
S1: And Angus, can you just briefly I guess take us through what the different categories of cyclones actually mean. And I guess whether there's potential that this cyclone is going to reach a higher category. Yeah.
S3: Great question. I would the categories determine the strength of the tropical cyclone. So there's five categories goes from category one to category five. One being, I guess, the least severe and category five being the most severe. And what determines what category number the cyclone falls in is actually the speed of the winds, which really race around the center of the eye of the tropical cyclones. Any time you're talking category two or stronger, those are wins that you don't really see in any other situation. So category two, which is what we're anticipating with Alfred. We'll be seeing average winds of about 100km an hour, with wind gusts of up to 150 or 160km an hour. And you don't really see those wind speeds replicated elsewhere. So for many people who haven't been in a tropical cyclone, they probably wouldn't have experienced winds of that speed so quite hard to fathom. And now I should also say the very strongest winds are over a pretty small area, but you'll see a broad region across the eastern side of the country with some fairly strong winds. Nonetheless, a category three, four, and five are just the same, but those wind speeds are even stronger. And there's always a chance that that a tropical cyclone could strengthen. I'd say at this stage, it's looking like a pretty outside chance that we get above category two. More likely to stay as category two, or potentially even lower down to a category one before reaching the coast. But I think category two is what most of our information is suggesting, with a very slim chance of anything stronger.
S1: And I believe, though, that the categories they actually only pertain to wind strength and not to the severity of the rain. So even if it remains at category two, that doesn't mean that it won't be hugely destructive because of the rain, right? Yeah, you're absolutely right.
S3: That's a really key point, actually. A lot of times people will see the category number drop and think that the risk is dropping with that, but that's not necessarily true. All that tells us is the winds aren't quite as strong. The rain can still be persistent and heavy. The resulting flooding can still be major and significant and disruptive. So the category is really only part of the story. The category keeps it nice and simple. That's sort of why we use it. It gives us a good baseline marker, but there's always more to the story than just the category number. And in this case, whether it's a category two or a category one or even that outside chance of a category three. The rain is going to be significant no matter which of those is the category number. And I think.
S1: There might be a lot of listeners out there who are wondering what I'm currently wondering, which is how far south is it predicted that the cyclone might actually hit? Like, is there any possibility that this could hit somewhere like Newcastle or Sydney?
S3: That's looking very, very unlikely that it would hit down that far south. A crossing in New South Wales is unlikely, although not completely out of the question. If it is there, it will be in the very, very far north of the state. So Newcastle, Sydney and anything south of that will be a long way away from the crossing point, although you'll see a little bit of impact in terms of persistent showers, quite strong winds down there, but the more significant weather, the more major flooding will be further to the north.
S1: And Angus, I want to ask you about where you might hope that listeners are getting their information from regarding the cyclone, because some of my colleagues are seeing what appears to be a rise in the number of people turning to storm chasers and other non-government weather sites for information. So how does the Bureau of Meteorology feel, I guess, about people getting their information elsewhere?
S3: I mean, yeah, there are times when following storm chasers and things can be great information, but I think in these really significant events, getting information direct from the source, which is the Bureau of Meteorology, I think is the the best idea, particularly in times of severe weather.
S1: And Angus, just for those people, you know, because I really want to meet the listeners where they are. For those people who are getting some information on social media, I know a lot of people are discussing a site called Higgins Storm Chasing on social media. So would your response be that is not reliable? Do not look to that. Like what sort of practical information can you give people?
S3: I think I'd just reiterate that, particularly during times of severe weather, giving you information directly from the source, from the 24 hour day team of of experts, tropical cyclone forecasters updating in and issuing the the forecast and the official track maps. That's that's the best place to get that particular information. And that's never more pertinent than during times of severe and destructive weather. So I'll just reiterate that from the Bureau's perspective, I'm not going to comment on other weather agencies or weather organizations and their products.
S1: Okay. And, Angus, I guess just to wrap up, I did want to ask you because of course you guys have such a crucial part to play in really quite terrifying situations like this. Does it make it any harder for the Bureau of Meteorology to communicate danger about cyclones and other weather events when some people are looking, I guess for non-government websites like your own for information?
S3: Look, that's something we can't really control as where people get their information. All we can do is put out the best forecasts in a timely manner, and update them as soon as we get new information. That's what we have always done, and that's what we'll continue to do. We'll also try and find new avenues and new ways of communicating that information, reaching different people, whether that's traditional media like TV, radio, even newspapers or modern, you know, online social media, different online platforms, or just directly on our website. We're trying to get all the best information consistently spread across as many different places as possible. So as many different people can get that. Beyond that, we can't really control what people are doing. But again, I would encourage them to get the official information, the official tracks that are timely and always up to date and available from the Bureau. Now, when it comes to information about what's the best thing to do on the ground as a tropical cyclones approaching, that's where you're probably best to look to your local emergency services. So in Queensland we've got a great set of resources from Get Ready Queensland about how to prepare for a tropical cyclone approach and then what to do as it gets closer and crosses, and also keeping your ears out, perhaps on your local ABC emergency and things like that for updates during the crossing and through those hours when the weather is most severe. So you can get the information from your emergency services in regards to which places to avoid, as to whether there's any evacuations or anything of that sort going on, and that that information can get out in a timely manner as well. So during the lead up and with the severe weather information, go to the bureau. But it's your local authorities and emergency management during that time of severe weather. Who will have the best information for you.
S1: Well, thank you so much, Angus, for your time.
S3: All right. Thanks for having me. And yeah, best of luck to everyone in Queensland and New South Wales over the next few days. Definitely prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
S1: Absolutely. Today's episode of The Morning Edition was produced by Julia Carcasole and Josh towers. Our executive producer is Tammy Mills. Our head of audio is Tom McKendrick. The Morning Edition is a production of The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald. If you enjoy the show and want more of our journalism, subscribe to our newspapers today. It's the best way to support what we do. Search the age or Smh.com.au forward slash. Subscribe and sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter to receive a comprehensive summary of the day's most important news, analysis and insights in your inbox every day. Links are in the show. Notes. I'm Samantha Selinger. Morris, this is the morning edition. Thanks for listening.