S1: Hey, I'm Osman Farooqi and this is the drop a culture show from the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, where we dive into the latest in the world of pop culture and entertainment. He's not Dylan Thomas, I'm not Patti Smith, he's Thomas Mitchell. How you doin, man?
S2: I'm well, I'm well, we are here. The two of us. The tortured legends department. Finally, finally back together. How are you going?
S1: I'm all right, man. I've been sick, uh, over the last few days. People can probably tell from my voice. Doesn't sound 100%, but, um, you know, we'll do our best in this episode. We'll muster through.
S2: I figured that was just from screaming daddy, I love him!
S1: Oh, it's been a very big week for pop culture, man. Taylor Swift released her new album, The Tortured Poets Department, on Friday. It caused mass derangement from every quarter. Finally here.
S3: Taylor Swift officially entering a brand new era with a huge surprise upper.
S4: Swifties are listening to a new sound this morning. Plenty of new sound. In fact, Taylor's hotly anticipated new album, The Tortured Poet's Department, 11th.
S5: Studio album from the megastar, a self-proclaimed lifeline featuring 31 brand new songs across multiple variants.
S1: Two hours after that, Thomas she released a second album, another 15 tracks, causing further derangement. This time for me specifically because I had this wonderful coverage strategy laid out for Friday and the weekend newspapers about how we were going to review and talk about this album. It was all ready to go. It was all done and dusted by like 4 p.m. and then the word comes through that there's a second album and basically ruined my afternoon as I started to get unwell. But basically that's on me. This this is not an episode about me complaining personally about what this did to my work life balance, but, um, no, that was that was a big day Friday. It's fair to say.
S2: Yeah, I mean, she loves a surprise. The whole album, like from the minute we learnt about it, has been kind of couched in the surprise element. So I guess it kind of makes sense. But I do suspect that the surprise element and the addition of an anthology has backfired. But yeah, it's been a huge week. Yeah.
S1: We're gonna we're going to talk a lot about this album, but specifically, I think also going to discuss the build up, the reception among fans and critics. And I think something we've alluded to before, Taylor Swift fatigue that seems to be hitting a lot of people and what that means for, I guess, the Swifty project going forward. And for people like us who who talk about her work and what it means for the culture more generally, we're just going to talk briefly about the finale of Shogun, one of my favorite shows over the past few months, and Baby Reindeer, the Netflix sleeper hit series that you mentioned last week on the Impress Your Friends segment. Seems like a lot of people have jumped on it, and there's a lot to discuss about that very, very, very interesting show. But before we get to any of that, there's one story that's gripped the nation in the past few days. It's got an Annabel Crab from the ABC writing about the culture wars again. Are you across this RJ Barker news?
S2: Thomas I am across this RJ Barker news. It's crazy that we're talking about RJ Barker in 2024.
S1: It's so weird man. So so RJ Berkus, comedian who I guess first became known to Australians from his appearances on The Glass House, like in the mid 2001 of those American comedians that seem to have way more success in Australia and has kind of toured here a lot and seems to be quite popular. I've never seen him. Have you, have you seen his shows?
S2: Yeah, I've seen him before. My, my kind of main connection to RJ Barker is that I went out to dinner with friends like, a few months ago, and I shampooed my hair right before dinner. It was really floppy, and everyone called me RJ Barker the entire night because he's got that really specific hair. That's a really.
S1: Good context to this conversation we're gonna have.
S2: Just so everyone knows that. But yeah, basically, he's one of those American comedians. He lives here now. He's been popular forever. Um, you know, like a staple of the festival circuit, does Melbourne Comedy Festival, every Sydney International Comedy Festival. So yeah, he's one of those people that everyone just knows. And fair to say, I think like an arch barker show comes and goes most years without any kind of ripple in the wider media.
S1: It's a very good way of putting it. But this time around, at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival, things got a little bit controversial. So Arj was performing over the weekend at the Athenaeum Theatre in Melbourne. At one point during the show, he started to hear a baby cry or make some noise. After a little bit of back and forth with the mother, he he asked them to leave the show. The mother went on radio on Monday morning and sort of said, look, you know, it wasn't a great experience for me. She explained what happened from her perspective. The baby was gurgling a little bit. She said she was breastfeeding, so she needed to bring the kid with her. It gurgled, it winged, but nothing super loud. She said that Barker came over and she thought that he was joking when he asked her to take the baby out, but eventually she realised he was serious and she left along with a group of people around her. Now there's a couple of different accounts of what happened. Another attendee who was there had a slightly different take, he said. It wasn't a little bit of gurgling. The baby was actually crying. I was on the second level up and I could hear it, they said. Khaled was distracted. He was trying to tell a joke. He quite politely stopped and said, would you mind? Could you please leave? And she just sat there and the baby settled down and a few minutes later it started again. So he said, look, I was trying to be respectful in this situation, but the baby was actually interrupting his his live performance show. So look, this obviously sparked a lot of conversation about various things. I think this question of bringing kids to live performances, the right of mothers, obviously to participate in public life and do things, you know, mums are allowed to do stuff. They don't just become housebound individuals once they choose to have a child. You, Thomas, you're a dad with a young child. What was your immediate kind of reaction to to this one?
S2: Yeah, it's a pretty crazy one. I mean, obviously, I think it's worth mentioning that, you know, it's hard for us as two guys to have this conversation. Um, we miss Melanie Kimber so much, but especially in these moments. But no, look, I do think it's interesting more in what it's revealed about the way a situation like this kind of snowballs into so many different conversations. I think, firstly, the issue is that it's been it quickly became this like conversation around breastfeeding, which as far as you can gather from like reading all the different like witness accounts, that was obviously never the issue. I don't think anyone in their right mind has an issue with breastfeeding in public, and I'm kind of convinced enough that that wasn't the issue for Rebecca, you know? And so the kind of need to put that aside, like what really seems to be the issue here is the element of noise. You know, here's a performer in a packed theater with lots of people who have paid to see the show. And, you know, there's an element of noise that's disrupting the show. Now, look, I have been lots of places when my son was like that age. And they're very, you know, children are very hard to predict when they're that young. And I just do think the responsibility falls on the parent, that if you're in a situation where the baby, you know, you can totally be there, but once it starts disrupting people, the onus is on you to kind of like remove yourself from the situation and that calm the child down or do whatever you need to do and then like return I that's kind of like as far as it needs to go. For me, I think it's snowballed into this big kind of ideological argument pushed by a lot of different agendas that make it seem like a bigger issue than it is. Like ultimately, end of the day, mother, father, parent, grandparent, carer, guardian. If you're looking after a small baby in an environment where you know you need to be conscious of noise and other people's, you know, enjoyment factor, then like that's your responsibility. That's that's basically how I see it. Yeah, I.
S1: Think you're spot on that like it's a difficult conversation to have devoid of context because context matters to so many people around this, around the conversations and critiques of women breastfeeding in public. Right. Like this. So many of the opinion pieces that came in response to this, I mentioned Annabel Crabb before she she wrote a piece for ABC today, which she reminded a lot of people, you know, like David Kosh when he was the host, and sunrise, he went on this rant like 10 or 15 years ago about women breastfeeding in public and how they should be classy and not do it in people's faces. And this is like a big overarching issue as a society that we just don't seem to have been able to have good, smart, sensible conversations about. And so I think a lot of particularly women reacted and are like, oh, here's another man who was trying to tell a woman how to breastfeed, which is just not something we want to deal with. And I feel like I feel like partly why it's hard to have a sane conversation around is because there is broad, society, wide antipathy towards everyone involved in this. People kind of don't really like comedians or they're that's fun to sort of like hate and disrespect comedians. A lot of people don't think that their work deserves to be taken as seriously as other live performers. And then obviously on the other side, there's just a broad antipathy towards women and mothers in public spaces that has a long history in society. So when you bring both of these two things together, everyone kind of goes to their respective barricades and starts yelling at each other. I wonder how much of this conversation would be different if it wasn't. A live comedy show. Like a few people have pointed out, we interviewed a few different comedians about this for the for the paper yesterday, and it was really interesting, different perspectives. Jen Frick, a friend of the pod, she was like, look, I've had babies do this before, and it's part of my, you know, I could make it part of my routine or I try and find a more delicate way to deal with it. Michelle Lowry said, look, I just don't think babies are appropriate for a live performance space. Comedians are in dialogue with the audience. They're doing a show. They have to remain focused. It is potentially disruptive and disrespectful to the audience. We're trying to hear the gags. If they can't hear it, if anyone is making a lot of noise and things like that. And this third comedian made the point that if this happened at like Les Miz or Miss Saigon or another live performance, if this was actors on stage and there was a child crying who was stopping that performance from going ahead, it probably wouldn't be controversial to say, hey, can you please remove that sort of disruptive presence? Do you think there's an element to this that is just comedy is sort of seen as well. You're supposed to accept heckling, you're supposed to just deal with it. So just make it part of the showman.
S2: Yeah, I do think there is that. And especially because, you know, comedy is like famous for having hecklers and drunk people and so like, oh, you're happy to put up with all these things. But again, it's also, I think like that turns it into a different issue. Again, because if you're dealing with a heckler, firstly hecklers do often get like eject.
S1: Yeah, totally, totally.
S2: You know, and you can you can put that on the heckler because they're an adult making their own dumb decisions. And so like everyone is normally happy for a heckler to be ejected, whereas it's like this is the problem. It's an emotional issue on both sides. But I think also I guess what makes it tricky is that because it is so emotional, like you have these reporter then like, oh, well, after the exchange took place, then you had a bunch of like other people in the audience, possibly men kind of like saying, yeah, like, you know, get out, like and then it becomes this weird mob mentality. And then that's, you know, obviously I do not agree with that. And I wasn't there. I don't know exactly the tone in which I handled it. So perhaps he didn't handle it in the smartest, most gentle way possible. But at the actual root of the issue, do I think, you know, do I understand that? I think I do like, as I said, if it were me in the audience and I think you're absolutely entitled to go along with the knowledge that should your, you know, your baby get into a state where, like they're causing a bit of a disruption, then you have to like step out and deal with it and like you have to live with that decision. And I got to.
S1: Say, man, this poor baby was not doing its mum many favours. And when it did the media rounds on like my Monday or Tuesday night, um, the mum did these interviews on the project in A Current Affair and like, I'm sorry, this was the funniest bit about all of this. Like, obviously there are important parts of this conversation around how society responds and engages in these conversations. But just this mum trying to make her case that her baby wasn't that disruptive. While a baby started crying on the project and the host, Sarah, had to be like, hey, can you give it to your dad? This is like disrupting the interview. It's a sort of a pre-baby me.
S6: She's she's cranky right now. Okay, maybe she can go to dad just for a quick second, but, like, you know, a mum with three.
S1: And then on A Current Affair, I happened to just be watching a carnival live, and I'm like, oh, that's the lady from The Thing With the baby. And, um. Yeah, The Current Affair, uh, had to cut the interview short because the baby was, like, crying a lot. And I'm like, look, that's babies. Babies cry. I'm not saying that that's like a crime or anything like that. But as this poor mum and the poor baby were trying to make the case that it's all okay, actually getting cut off from the show, I think said a lot, but I think I think you said it uh, earlier and I really agree with this. It's like there's different conversations here. There's the specifics of like what happened at the gig and in a way, like, I feel like that's less interesting. What's more interesting is how everyone reacts to these things, whether that's men in the crowd who apparently were just being very aggressive and toxic, and men in comment sections and a lot of just like conversation around this, even though I also agree with you, I think, like, you know, there's a risk to bringing young children to this event. And I guess you should be aware that if they start being disruptive, the polite thing to do is to like, remove yourself. Uh, as frustrating as that might be, that's sort of life. That's the world. But the way that so many people seem primed and ready to just engage in like a culture about like where women belong and where children belong and like what the boundaries of this stuff are. That feels like a little bit gross. And I feel like that that part of it, I think, is something that keeps cropping up. Man. Like, this is not the first time we've had this, and it probably won't be again. But um, yeah, it was interesting how many comedians, the ones who are willing to talk, were pretty comfortable in saying, yeah, look, there's broader issues around like women and mothers and existing in public. But when it comes to a live performance space, it's a little bit disrespectful to not remove yourself once you're interrupting a performance.
S2: Yeah, I agree, and I mean, yeah, it still just feels crazy that it's almost like, have we not got enough going on in this country? Like, is that yeah. Are we that devoid of big issues that like this has become a dominant cultural story for the week? But I mean, perhaps not, but yeah, it is very funny that at seven months old this baby has. He's got a show reel that includes like RCA the project today, sunrise next month.
S1: Must have signed this kid up already.
S2: 100, 100. Yeah, this kid's doing, like, meet and great soon. Um. But yeah. Hilarious. Hilarious and odd story to begin the week.
S1: Yeah. Look. And I was gonna say, no, I'm not gonna do that. I was gonna do from one crybaby to another, but I won't do that. I think.
S2: You should. You've written it. It's a great segue.
S1: From One Crybaby to Another. The Tortured Poets Department, the 11th studio album from Taylor Swift. Even before this album came out, Thomas, we had been discussing just how relentless and overwhelming Taylor's presence was in the culture from the Eras tour, particularly here in Australia. But also it's streaming so, so popularly on Disney Plus to the Grammys, to Coachella. There was this concern even from people who enjoy her music, people like us, that it was all getting a little bit too much. We've been talking about Peak Taylor, and this is all before the actual reception of her new album, but that's all the stuff you talk about when you don't have new music to chew over this kind of meta conversation around Taylor. So the album is now finally out, 16 tracks, almost all of them produced by Taylor's now regular collaborator Jack Antonoff. Two hours later, as we mentioned, another 15 tracks this time most of them produced with her other regular collaborator, The National's Aaron Dessner. So all that. What we're talking about is 31 tracks on the Tortured Poets department. The anthology, as a second tranche of songs are collectively termed. Broadly speaking, I think it's fair to say that the album is very sonically familiar. It sounds a lot like Midnights, her last album. The synth is a constant presence to become a trademark of Antonoff production lyrically as well. I mean, this album doesn't feel like a revolution. It sort of feels like a throwback to earlier eras of Taylor dealing very specifically with heartbreak, evaluating her past and current relationships. I think one of the things that did take fans by surprise is how much of the album revolves around her longtime fascination with the 1975 Matty Healy. I guess you could say. I think fans are expecting this to be a Joe Alwyn breakup album. Instead, it's two dozen tracks about being ghosted by an edgelord rockstar who made a controversial appearance in a podcast formerly known as comedown. Like, that's a weird, that's a weird project for someone like Taylor Swift. Some might say. Um, and look, reviewing this album is complicated because Ken Taylor Swift sing. Of course she can. Can she write like compelling and interesting and fun melodies? Absolutely. Can she get a talented crew of people together to make a lot of nice sounding music? Absolutely. But when you've set expectations really high, when you announce an album, literally the second you're collecting the check for the last one at the Grammys, I think it's good and healthy for us to have a reasonable bar, and I just don't think that this album hits that bar. I mean, the music is very overly familiar. The melodies feel like we've heard them before on previous records, particularly Midnights. And in terms of the songwriting itself, I think if you're a Taylor Swift fan who wants to devour everything she says, like the gospel, and you want to build into this law that she's created and you want to join all the different dots about, well, she was photographed on May 18th in this town, and she wrote this song and recorded it. Then you're going to eat this album up for the sheer dump of her life information she's giving you. But I think for everyone else, this is a lot of songs, some with some very, very strange and tortured metaphors and lyrics that I don't think really work. And I think if you're going to give us 31 tracks, it's not too much to ask for a couple of like, genuine, solid hits as well. I think there's maybe one, if anything, like song on this album that will be like a hit that does well and gets ready to play and people bump. That's probably fortnight, the opening track, but that doesn't even really feel like a proper pop banger.
UU: I was supposed to be sent away, but they forgot to come and get me. I was a functioning alcoholic too. Nobody noticed one new aesthetic. All of this.
S1: There's heaps I want to get into regarding this album with you, Thomas. The quality of it, how it works for us, what it says about Taylor right now, all the meta conversations, but just initially would love your sort of first response to to the record.
S2: I think it is definitely 15 songs too long. Uh, is it was my initial response, like we've talked about it already, but the surprise release of the anthology, I think, only really stood to a lessen the impact of the original songs, and B highlight what was already kind of bubbling away in the background for a lot of detractors, is that we're in the era of like, actually too much Taylor and, you know, basically that's kind of was the issue going into the release of this album. Like, how much is too much? You know, we we were in Taylor like, we're in full Taylor Saturation mode. Anyway, she announced this album at the Grammys after cleaning up. It felt like a really it felt like it was coming very soon after everything else. She was, you know, in the middle of the year to, uh, it just people were concerned that saturation had peaked and then this only like seems to make that worse. You know, 31 songs is just on a pure surface level, a lot of music for people to digest, like it's to sit there and listen to this out. You can't listen to it in one listen, really. It takes a really long time. But then on top of that, I guess, like it also plays into what I think a lot of people who are cynical about Taylor already thought is that she's trying to, like, gain the algorithm and the system here. Like, you know, these like Spotify rewards you. The more music you put out, the more like ways you split it up. And if you splice it and dice it in certain ways, then the algorithm rewards that. And I think people like, well, firstly, that's what Taylor's doing, but why does she need to do it? She's already the most successful dominant popular artist in the world. She could have released ten like ten tracks and it would still be played, like to fucking death. And so instead, she's kind of like feeding into what most people see as the biggest problem with, like, modern music and the way we devour it. My biggest issue was that in terms of the context that arrived in and then musically, it just felt like, yeah, you kind of touched on it, but like thematically it felt there was like no growth from anything. If anything, it was like she was regressing back to her old days. And, you know, musically, it just sounded like more of the same that we already had. And so there was just like on me, like first listen, which obviously took, you know, ten hours. There just wasn't much to, like, love.
S1: Yeah. It's a long listen, I wonder sometimes that the reaction to this, like the album in In the States, come at Midnight and then the follow up, the anthology, came in at 2 a.m. people who are listening to this album like three, 4 a.m., like delirious from exhaustion. And if you were on Twitter at that time or watching Social Reaction, it was just like it was a delirious reaction. And I wonder how much of that is deliberate is like, I'm just gonna pump my fans full of all these, like, juicy details about my life at 4:00 in the morning when they all desperately need to like. Have a blanket put over them and be nursed to sleep and just created this like super wild and fascinating sort of conversation. It's yeah, it is a lot. I mean, there's there's more I want to talk about in terms of the way she's marketing the album, but we'll get we'll get to that a bit later, I think. I mean, well, I feel like with Taylor often there are these two modes, right? There's the reputation era spinning album out of everything you've been through, position yourself as this perpetual victim who's been wronged, and make a bunch of music about your pain and and get vengeance on those you think have wronged you. And then more recently, there's been this folklore evermore mode where she's largely writing fictional narratives. She's using songwriting to craft these stories about things that may be influenced by things she's experienced, but there's these different characters and world she's building, and a lot of people think that that is some of her best and most compelling and thoughtful work. That shows the kind of growth as an artist that you were talking about before. I think, like Tortured Poets is very much like that reputation frame, like it's a throwback to an earlier mode of Taylor that like that. That's basically entirely what this album is. This album is. I just don't see how it makes sense to a lot of people unless they know the deep, intimate details about her relationships with Joe Alwyn, her long term on again, off again thing with Matty Healy, where she's at with with Travis and stuff. I feel like this is like an robberies of Taylor Swift. It used to be that you could enjoy her music on its own terms, and if you had an insight and you could decode these Easter eggs, you'd get this heightened meaning to it. But now it's like you need that to even walk in the door. Like if you don't understand all of the lore and everything that's going on in our life, a lot of the songs don't really make a lot of sense. That sort of ability. She had to write something that was obviously personal to her, but felt universal, I think is what's missing from this album. Does that make sense?
S2: Yeah, it does for sure. Like, I thought it was funny. Pitchfork who you know, whether or not you still put a lot of value in their reviews, that's up to you. But I thought their review was interesting and they said something I thought that really made a lot of sense. They wrote the Tortured Poets Department, Swift's 11th studio album, senses that widening gap between Taylor Swift, the artist, and Taylor Swift. The phenomenon. And I really feel that like it. It's like Taylor has now bought into the swift and universe, like, while also, you know, simultaneously being skeptical of it. She kind of like pokes fun at her own fans several times in the album, but it's like, yeah, now the the phenomenon of Taylor Swift is so all encompassing that it's no longer, like, expected that you can enjoy the music without being fully, you know, a Taylor Swift stand. You're supposed to know the rules and like, you know, winks of this universe. And it's like she's really writing to the echo chamber as enormous as the echo chamber is. But that's still then kind of creates this divide between the people who are like, really, really, you know, like engaged with what the rules. And, you know, everything of the Swift universe are versus people who just like, oh, she's a really famous artist and I like her. So yeah, it does seem really weird. And I guess the other thing that it's probably worth mentioning, you know, obviously everyone has said it's kind of bloated and stuff, but it's called the Tortured Poet's Apartment. We know that Taylor, like, you know, is a great lyricist and has like even all the marketing this has been driven towards. Like, I'm a wordsmith, I'm creating pop up libraries and that's my whole thing. But like, man, like I say this as someone who gets edited by you a lot, like she needs a serious editor. Like just because it sounds clever doesn't mean it sounds good. And, you know, I just there was a sense of Taylor being surrounded by yes people and writing anything that came to her mind and, and whether or not, you know, these metaphors work. And it just it was so overwritten to the point that sometimes it was distracting trying to keep up with everything she's stuffing into every single line. Yeah.
S1: And I think I think that's a really good point. I think it's clear that she has had a lot to say about this phase of her life, and she wanted to portal out, and she went to two very close, very comfortable, very safe collaborators in Jack Antonoff and Aaron Dessner. And they're not the kinds of people who I think are going to create a sort of healthy artistic tension. If she just work with other people like that. In the past, if she could have worked with with new producers on this one, but she went to people who she can be like, I want to write this song. This is what I'm thinking. Give me like that sort of synth bed with those electronic drums, Jack. Let's go. And so it felt very like she's just sprawling her words out there. And I know a lot of people say like, she's allowed to do it. And that's what I find a little bit frustrating about these critical conversations. Of course, she's allowed to do anything right. Like we're not saying that she should go to jail for this album, but we're allowed to also say, yeah, it's interesting to talk about an artist who can do so much, who has set expectations so high and ask whether or not this is her at the peak of her artistic powers. And I think for both of us, the answer seems to be no. And I think to your earlier point about the amount of. Information. You need to have to have baseline access to this record. You know what it reminds me of? This is going to sound a bit weird, but it's starting to feel like we're kind of like the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the Star Wars universe, as are at, which is that these things used to be anyone could go and see, see like Iron Man or like the new Star Wars film, and you'd be like, ah, cool. Like, I get it, these are the good guys. These are the bad guys. There's some cute little characters here, and that story makes sense. And off I go. And now all of these worlds are so massive. There's TV shows, there's cartoons, there's movies. And if you try and see a marvel movie now and it's like, oh, but you haven't watched like WandaVision, you haven't watched season two of Loki, you're not gonna understand who that character is in the Ant-Man and Quantumania or whatever. Like, it's just it's it's so dense. If you're a hardcore fan, you love it. And if you're a casual fan, you find it very overwhelming. And I kind of think that the world of Taylor Swift has gotten so big because she's been feeding her stuff for so long, it has become hard for normal people to engage with. And I hear, like, really smart critics. Joyner Robinson, who podcast for The Ringer Network, who I really, really like her, takes on this stuff. She has this line which she's like, you know, make Star Wars special again, we don't need a new show every six months or a new film every year. If you really want people to re-engage with this stuff, give them a break. Give them a bit of a reset. Think really carefully about what you want to do that is special, and then give that to them in 12 months or in two years time. And I wonder whether that is what Taylor needs to do next. She might say I don't care, like this album is going to break records. My fans eat it up. But I think from a critical perspective, from a perspective of what would make the most interesting and compelling art, I do think some space and time would be helpful.
S2: Yeah, for sure. And I think like, I mean, I get the feeling based on nothing other than, you know, a gut feeling that Taylor is someone that probably is sitting at home and. Definitely reading like the room on what people think of the album. I don't think she's someone who's like, whatever, I don't care. My fans love it. I definitely think, you know, she I could see her sitting at home reading The New York Times being like, hmm, the times didn't like.
S1: Well, let me, let me, let me give you an example as how right you are. Like, she's been retweeting every good review she's gotten and tagging the publication and the journalist who wrote it, including like, like her most recent one was Uproxx. You know, that weird sort of journalism website. She's retweeted this review and, like, tagged the journalist and Uproxx and, like, shared a lyric from a thing. So she's obviously across the kind of critical conversation she's reading. The bad ones, too, and is probably not sharing them. But it is. It's a really odd thing that's going on because I think she's seems to be rewarded. She's like, if you want me to shut you out to my 70 million followers, write a good review and I'll tag you. It's a very like 1 to 1 process she's in with, with critics. So yeah, you're right. She's very much part and aware of the conversation around this album.
S2: And it's so funny because that environment around Taylor has really infected or at least made an imprint on the critical response, like in terms of critics are aware that should they not enjoy the latest Taylor album, as in what is happening right now, that's going to be an issue. So, you know, we had like Chris Murphy from Vanity Fair, who's review wasn't amazing, and he put out this tweet that said, it's almost like if you produce too much, too fast in a brazen attempt to completely saturate and dominate a market, rather than having something important or even halfway interesting to say, the art suffers. That tweet went viral. And then he led her and made this joke about like him going missing. So like, and, you know, similarly, um, Paste magazine put up a pretty harsh review of the album and didn't put a byline on it, didn't identify the journalist, and then spoke about why they did that in the review. Because like, you will get fucking doxed by Taylor Swift fans. Um, because, you know, that's what they do. And so it's weird. We're living in this world now where even the critics are aware that if you don't like Taylor's album, that's going to be a problem for your publication. But, you know, we still have to engage with it and talk about it, but it's just like it sets these very strange framework for us all to discuss the album because, like, you're constantly kind of having to, like, double back on what you say and stuff. It makes everyone feel a little bit like uneasy or unsettled. And then I suppose at the same time, as you said, you've then got Taylor tweeting out the good reviews to like 70 million followers and like, who doesn't want that traffic? Uh, I don't know. It's a really strange environment to kind of discuss a big, important work in. I know.
S1: And you and I were talking before this podcast and like, I mean, we're being honest about how we feel about this album, but I think with so much of how you discuss big stars and their fandoms now. You're subconsciously a little bit pulling your punches because you're aware of like the hell you could go through for saying a certain thing in a certain way. And I think kind of like the age conversation, you know, because that has been and continues to be a very real strain of misogyny and how, like a lot of male critics discuss female pop, like, people are resistant to two guys talking about Taylor Swift, I feel like we're doing a decent job of trying to just engage with the music as it is, but there you kind of go into these conversation like, ah, shit, I'm going to say some negative things about this record. I'm probably going to get my DMs lit up, or if this gets clipped and put on TikTok, people are probably gonna make fun of us. I think as a critic, you try your best to remove yourself from that, that response if you can. But I think what's really interesting about Taylor Swift is talking about the fan reaction is part of the criticism, I think, because it clearly shapes her writing. Like there are songs on this album that are about Taylor Swift's fans. She, I think in some ways has made this record for her fans because she's trying to break streaming records, she's trying to do all of this stuff. She needs to turbocharge her base. And like I said, I just don't think if you're not a deep fan, I don't think this album works. If you are a deep fan, you probably think this is one of the best albums ever, because very rarely have you had this level of intimate detail about how she was feeling and where she was, and what she was doing with three of the big men in her life in the past few years Joe, Maddie and Travis.
S2: But then what I think is so funny about this conversation is that that is all true in theory. But then you have these like, I mean, look, essentially much of the album is about how fucking in love she was with Matty Healy, which is like the one relationship that Taylor Swift purest like, did not approve of. And you, man, you like type in Taylor Swift Matty Healy on Twitter and watch the fans like being annoyed at Taylor for dedicating so much airtime on the album to a man they didn't approve of, which is fucking crazy. But like it, it's so funny because there is an element of like, well, hold on a minute, this is an album for the fans with all of its like kind of winks and stuff, but also like, you've got these same fans who are the ones that are going to like back Taylor to the hilt, but they're not happy with like the content she's producing. It's such a strange like thing to be in the middle of.
S1: Are you across this this Reddit subreddit? Uh, Taylor neutral. That's that's blown up like, this is really interesting. It's like people who have historically been big Taylor Swift fans and started to be, like, less interested in her, either through, I guess, the oversaturation we've been talking about or the Matty Healy stuff. They've created this subreddit because they just weren't getting traction. On the main Taylor Swift Reddit called Taylor Neutral, where they're like, we don't hate Taylor, we don't love Taylor. We just want to have some honest conversations about her music and whatever. And that started to blow up. So it does feel like there is this growing part of her fan base that wants to engage with. I mean, the most interesting thing about this album, I think, are the tracks where she is taking aim at her fans for what they did and said to her around the Matty Healy thing, and I don't really want to get into the I resent the fact I've had to talk about Matty Healy so much already. Like, I just I don't care about the 1975. I don't understand that this kind of weird rock star, who feels like a throwback to the era where we all agreed we didn't want anymore, seems to have this chokehold on on lots of white women of a certain age. But whatever. We have to talk about him because he's part of this album. When the I guess rumors emerged that she was maybe dating him, a big chunk of her fan base, like, wrote this letter to her and said, you know, he said these problematic things. He's been on this controversial podcast. It's a bit of a weird guy. You shouldn't date him. And I think the song, but daddy, I love him is a pretty direct, like response to a fan. She's got things like, I'll tell you something about my good name, it's mine alone to disgrace. I don't cater to all these vipers dressed in empaths clothing. There's other lyrics in that track where she's saying to her fans, you pretend you care about me, but I'm not going to listen to you. You don't get to tell me what I do and how I live your life. It's so funny to see an artist simultaneously tell her fans to back off, but kind of have them on this leash at the same time.
S2: Yeah, it's like this absolutely crazy, like co-dependent relationship where they both need each other so much and resent each other so much. Maybe like her and Maddie here, we never know. But but yeah, it's it's just a really, really strange thing. And I mean, I know you said you don't want to get into it. I actually I'm happy to get into it because I think if anything, as you know, I mean, look, I'm a journalist, I love gossip, and I guess that's probably one of the things I did enjoy. Right from, from this album is, is, I guess, the voyeuristic elements. And like some of the decoding and, you know, like, fuck, man, I just, I couldn't help but think of Travis like being so depressed as he sat there listening to But daddy, I still love him when Taylor's like gushing about how I'm like, let's be honest, Matty Healy has obviously done an enormous number on her. She's got like some serious head noise about that relationship.
S1: I agree. I mean, I find that I find it so I mean and like and and this I guess, you know, it's a good thing to say. About the album that it's interesting to have an artist like her be so honest about how she felt about this guy. I find it bizarre because it's Matt Healy, but like, it's not my job to dictate how people feel about some people. She seems to have been a very long term fan of the 1975, and he's a very charismatic frontman, I guess you could say. So she sort of had this fascination with him for ten years and she lays it all out. But I agree with you. If you're Travis, it's probably better this way. Like, damn.
S2: The same thing with Joe Alwyn. They're like, fresh out of the slammer, you know, about him and basically calls the relationship a prison. So it's just like, oh, man. Brutal. But yeah, I think, you know, I guess if you are a Taylor Swift fan and you didn't approve this relationship and then suddenly, you know, two hours of the album is dedicated to her, really, like, I guess, digesting how that brief but obviously intense love affair affected her, then. Yeah, you're going to be unhappy. But I would say that it's then led to, uh, some of her strangest and weirdest writing that she's like, you know, Taylor is we both went and saw her show. Aside from the fact it was an amazing performance, you really get a feel for like, how impressive she is as a lyricist and how her writing lands in a stadium of, you know, 100,000 screaming people because she's got such a way with words. And then, yeah, this is like so much of this felt like my fucking year 12.
S1: Yeah. We're gonna, um, share some of our favorite weird lyrics a bit later on in this conversation, but I thought, you know, we've kind of had a had a broad conversation about the album conceptually, but maybe worth mentioning. Some of the tracks we do like and why, like Florida, which is the song with Florence Welch of Florida with three exclamation marks.
UU: And only the town. You get arrested. So you bet your life. Wait.
S7: Wait out the shit storm back in Texas. Florida.
S1: Florida. I like this track. Part of the reason I think why I like it is it's one of the many, I think, where Lana Del Rey's influence looms very, very large. And I think Taylor owes a great debt to Lana. I think she has for a while. I think she's very smart to cut LA an arena on the last record, as a bit of like, I'm, I'm sort of doing a lot of what you did before. There's actually like a few Florida references on this album, the track itself, but also on Fortnite, the opening track. Her and Post Malone are singing about Florida. I sort of got a bit conspiratorial on this one, and I wondered whether it was a political allusion, given that there is a presidential election later this year in Florida is a very famous swing state. But then I remembered it's Taylor Swift. And like, there's no there's no way she's doing that, an interview. She's just talked about Florida being this place that like criminals and other people wanting to get away, escape to kind of like Amy from from Gone Girl. But yeah, I enjoyed that one. Any any tracks you wanted to shout out?
S2: What's up with Post Malone, by the way? Just being like the go to feature guy.
S1: Yeah, Beyoncé and Taylor, the glue, bringing these two worlds together. I guess it's like he's just got this broad fan base, right? So it's like, no one really hates Post Malone. He sort of started as this rap singer who's now doing country. He's very flexible, like, why not have a post feature?
S2: I like Post Malone, but yeah, it was also.
S1: Work with Kanye. Interestingly, I wonder how many artists have worked with Kanye, Beyonce and Taylor Swift.
S2: Probably only posted. Uh, yeah. I also really like Guilty of Sin. I think that's kind of like a bit of a sexy track. And I actually like, I didn't like this at first, and I would. I will also say that the album has started to grow on me the more I.
S1: Listen to it. Yeah me too actually. I feel like maybe when we listen to it and it feels so overwhelming and there's all this conversation, it's like, this is way too much. And then after a bit of a break, listening to it again at the start of this week, I'm like, there's a bunch of tracks there like that are good tracks. I think this is the thing about this album. It's not like a terrible album, like you put it on you. You can't listen to it. It's the broad thematic reason for its existence. Feels a bit like unnecessary, but there's some there's definitely some good tracks.
S2: Yeah, for sure. I also quite like Down Bad.
UU: Did you really? Give me a. And a cloud of sparkling dust. Just to do experiments on tell me I was.
S7: The chosen one. Showed me that this.
UU: World is bigger than us. Then sent me back where I came from.
S2: For it feels very like. Yeah. Taylor reputation era like when she wants to like, go for it. She really can. But there are tracks I enjoy, but I think it's just more that I'm finding it hard to get past everything that is distracting about the albums.
S1: Yeah, and maybe if there was like fewer tracks, it would be easier to look at this collectively as like a really interesting project. I think, like there's some stuff on the anthology bit that I like, but there's some stuff that is just like ridiculous. There's the Kim Kardashian diss track. Thank you Amy.
S7: When I picture my hometown, there's a bronze spray tan statue of you and a plaque underneath it that threatens to push me down the stairs at our school. And it was always the same searing pain. But I dreamed that one day.
S1: It's so weird because that's a whole song where it's like, I've changed your name, but it's so obviously about Kim to the point where she's capitalized K, I and M in the title and she's singing like, you know, thanks for what you did. Like, I'll always be better for it now. And I don't even think about you. And it's like, this happened so long ago. Like, why are we still talking about this? Just just doesn't feel necessary.
S2: Yeah. And I just thought that was, like, a really weird, immature decision. It's like, so strange for someone like Taylor who is, like, obviously a very smart artist and does all these great things. And then it's like, why do you need to go and have this, like weird diss track with like, strange capitalization? It just feels a bit lame. It's like she can't escape her own, like, cringe factor and like that, that thank you, Amy song. Completely unnecessary. I don't know how someone around here wasn't like, should we scratch that? Also, I think in the back half of the album when there's like 50 tracks that are just people's names Peter, Cassandra, like, they're big skips from here.
S1: Yeah, fully. This is maybe the most blunt main thing I'm going to say I like I do get this feeling on even the tracks that we've mentioned that we like the overall. Emotional sense evoked for me is one of like Arrested Development. Like this is someone who, when they were writing these songs, when they were a teenager in the early 20s and then mid 20s, it's like, cool, man. Like, yeah, heartbreak is the biggest thing in the world, and you're allowed to write about it and you're allowed to write 100 songs about it if you if you like. But when you're at this stage in your career and you're just pumping out 31 songs about. What this, like weird rock star did to your heart? It just doesn't. Feel right. And like, I know maybe a lot of people listen to this, like women in their mid 30s or like, well, actually, that's like how we all feel. So you shut up and let us, like, emote. And I'm like, yeah, you're all allowed to emote and you're allowed to write songs about this again. I'm not trying to say that she should be like prevented from doing this, but it just feels unnatural that an artist who's been making this kind of music for two decades now seems stuck in the same. Space of being able to write very didactic about her singular, insular experience of heartbreak. As she experiences it, processes it, thinks about it. When she's done things like this before, when it's worked really well, it's like I said, her ability to take a singular experience, but write about it in a way that feels like it could relate to so many things. Well, this does not feel like the rest of the world exists. There's nothing broad or universal about this record. I think maybe that's because I'm not like a woman in her 20s and 30s. I don't know, but I've related to her other lyrics like I've been hot broken before. I hate to break it to you, but like, that's the thing that a lot of people go through. But this just feels so autobiographical that it's hard to connect with, and that just feels like an odd thing to experience from a singer at this stage of her life and career.
S2: Yeah, I think so, for sure. And I don't think it's unfair that we, you know, project these expectations on an artist that we all love and that has rightfully, you know, like battled her way to the top of the totem pole in pop culture and is easily the most influential and, you know, um, excitable artist in the world. And, you know, like this morning, for instance, I was driving home, um, and Love Story came on smooth FM. Great radio station.
S1: And you're like a Ritchie in the bay. You just, like, put the the pedal to the floor.
S8: Man.
S2: Like, that's a fucking great song. And I turned it up and sang along and, you know, it's such a great singalong song. But like, listening to I was struck by like, man, it's crazy, like, that's Taylor, I don't know. What was she like in her early 20s writing about this? Like fairytale romance, just like storybook obsession she has with, like, happily ever after in like, White Nights and, you know, this idea of perfect marriage. And, you know, that's all fine. And it made a lot of sense. And it was charming for this, like 20 something singer songwriter that still had, like, the country thing going on. I'm not saying she can't write about that anymore, but it's crazy when you actually dig into the lyrics on this album, this latest album about how much that fixation remains. Like she's still talking about, like, wedding rings and happily ever after and and like, that's it. And it feels like there's not been much evolution or if anything, there's been like a, you know, a devolution of devolution because, like, she's no longer even, like trying to expand her focus, but instead just like heading out, there's like there's so much like, you know, like fan generated songs that they want about, like getting married or finding the perfect love or anything like that. And it's just like, look, after a while, you do have certain expectations that come with being this, you know, incredible artists like people want people know how great you are, they want more from you. And it feels just like, I don't want to say lazy, but like when you get it and it's still okay, people are a bit like, okay, well, like, I guess, nice work.
S1: No, I completely agree. I think you put what I was trying to say in much better words. I feel like if anything gets, it's crucified. It's that conversation. But I think we've got to be honest about how we feel, man, if we can't do that, what are we doing here?
S2: I mean, yeah, I can't wait to get completely dark now.
S1: Um, we were talking before about how much she's promoting this album. This feels not totally new, like she's done this in previous album releases, brand partnerships, all this kind of stuff. But it's been less coming from her regularly. But but this time around, like we talked about this Spotify brand campaign, that library activation on the podcast last week, she's been doing ads for Spotify and Apple and Amazon. I mean, she's not content with every record that she's already got. She wants more. She wants to break more streaming numbers. What is the end goal here, man? Like like this isn't I mean, she also came back on TikTok. This is really interesting. Like universal pulled all of their music on TikTok as part of this negotiation to try and extract more revenue from the platform she signed to universal. But she has the streaming rights to a music so she can put it back on, which she did in the lead up to this album. A lot of people seem like not very happy with that because they're sort of perceiving it as crossing a picket line. Insofar as this universal negotiation, a lot of smaller and big artists are not able to have their music on TikTok. But she's just like, screw it, man, I want to like, go full throttle. Let's get as many streams as possible. And like we spoke last time, seems a bit diametrically opposed to her previous thoughts on streaming and and artist Renumeration like, what is the end goal here of of going so big and doing so much marketing?
S2: Yeah, I don't really know. I really don't know what is next now. Like we've had such a like exhausting run of, you know, like film and like era tours and music and award ceremonies and fucking the Super Bowl, just like every major like event or conversation or anything has been like somehow Taylor adjacent Coachella like. And so I don't really know what can happen or what needs to happen or what would be the best thing to happen. It's like I've been thinking a lot about like what? What actually what actually comes after this. Like, you know, she's not going to go on tour with this album, obviously, like right now. And I guess the only like, you know, if I'm putting on my Taylor Swift hat and doing some like, you know, amateur sleuthing, the only thing I can kind of gauge is that in I can Do It With The Broken Heart, which is actually a pretty good song. Who she. That basically is like a it's like, you know, it's her version of like dancing on my own. It's just kind of like really sad song which addresses basically it's like kind of in character. Her on the ears to are talking about being depressed on stage. And if anything, I was like, maybe that's a clue as to what is next. Like, she's come off this billion dollar record breaking tour, released a whole bunch of songs that maybe she just needed to fucking get out of her system and, you know, but she's directly addressing this, like, I guess, her own fatigue. And so perhaps there will be now, uh, a period of, like, downtime for her where she's like, you know, I've done tour, album, Grammys, everything here it all is. And like, you know, it's obviously taken a toll on her, I would say. And maybe there will now be like a bit of, like downtime for Taylor and for the rest of us.
S1: I think that's really insightful. I think that's probably what I think from a critical perspective is probably needed. Like take, take a break. You deserve it. Like you definitely deserve it. Quite a bit of scarcity. Live your life, enjoy your life, go on holiday. And if after that you want to write some music that feels relevant to you, please do. We're going to be excited to hear it again. You know, I think maybe there's also this sense of, you know, when you're at your peak, like like hit it, you know, like she's very aware, she's talked about this, she's written songs about this. The world does not have a great record for like continuing to support and pay money to like women when they reach a certain age. I think she's like, I'm at a peak right now in terms of the cultural attention being paid to me. I want to get that bag from every avenue possible, from touring, from streaming, from whatever, and like tap that out and then potentially, like, take a bit of a break and come back at a different phase. I think if that's what she does, great. I mean, if she just continues to release stuff like this, it'll probably sound okay like this, and her fans will eat it up, but I think it will over a number of years start to impact. I think her reputation as someone who doesn't just make really great stellar records, but as someone who's just doing that thing that, like Drake has been doing the last little while, you know, which is just releasing what sound like mixtapes. And I think that has diminished his reputation a little bit. I don't want that for her. No.
S2: And I guess the other thing I would say is I would like one of the worst songs in this album is So High School, which is about Travis. So should she should, you know, the worst happen and her and Travis Kelsey break up that breakup album will fucking suck. Uh, because I don't suspect that their love, as much as it seems very, very lovely, is, you know, kind of great writing material. If so, high school is anything to kind of. Yeah, yeah.
S1: Um, hey, before we wrap up the Taylor chat, should we share our favorite weird lyrics from this album? We should. We should also say this is like a part of the discourse around this album. Now, it's it's really interesting because Spotify and TikTok have introduced these tools lately that really encourage fans and listeners to treat songs like pull quotes like you can like, pull out your favorite or weirdest quote and you can share it on your social media. It's really interesting because I think artists you know, they want to write catchy hooks and stuff, but they also want songs to be like listened to in the context of the whole song. And when this album first came out, when there was a leak, in fact, a couple of days earlier, people got really stuck into like, individual lines, you know, like we we thought Charlie Puth should be a bigger artist and stuff. And people are like, that's crazy. When you listen to that stuff in context, you can understand the irony or whatever, and it makes sense. But it's it's kind of like just the nature of, I guess, these platforms that she's willing to play ball with and the way that fans want to dissect lyrics that it's easier than ever to pick out something that sounds very, very bizarre. And thankfully for us, there is quite a number of totally bizarre lyrics. Um, I'll share you my favorite weird lyric. Uh, my friends used to play a game where we would pick a decade we wished we could live in. Instead of this, I'd say the 1830s, but without all the racists. Now that's crazy. Now we should say the rest of that. Verse goes into describe like she's then ruined the game for everyone and you know she classic Taylor. She's just trying to like have fun and point things out. And she's ruining it for all of her friends. But that's crazy lyric because like, why the 1830s? There's nothing that feels very specific about that era that would make you want to go to it. It's like pre just pre-industrial revolution, but like like what? What sort of fantasies are evoked by that. Some people have said that's like around when Bridgerton seems to be set. So maybe that's what she's watching. But also she's like I'd say the 1830s, but without all the racists. I mean, does she think there were no racist? Now, this is a constant thing from every era. It's a very strange one for me.
S2: It is very odd. Um, and I think, like so many people have picked it out as one that's just like, okay, well you've like, again, probably needed a serious.
S1: Edit, but also she doesn't point out like, but without all like the deep sexism as well. Like, women weren't having a great time in the 1830s.
S2: I actually do think the bridges and things probably bang on because like, you know, that that all kind of sucks up. Um, my one is from the song I was just talking about. I can do it with the Broken Heart. Um, and it's I cry a lot, but I am so productive. It's an art. And almost as soon as I heard it, I was like, I can just see this being a fucking out of context. Instagram caption on people's like, April dumps where they've just got like, photos of like, all the shit they've done with their friends, like, you know, walking in the park and sunset photos or whatever. Like it's just. And this is such a funny thing. You kind of touched on it before and like, Drake does it as well. Like, these guys write lyrics. I'm like, I know, you know, that's going to end up on the internet. All that baked on a cake or some shit that I just saw, you know, like, you can just. And I've already seen it like 3 or 4 times, like, um, you know, different people on my Instagram, like sharing that one and being like, oh my God, like, so me or whatever. Uh, I also thought this one was really funny, uh, from Florida. And my friends all smell like weed or little babies.
S1: See, actually, I think that's funny. I actually really liked that one. I think, uh, people have sort of been taking the piss out of it, and it seems sort of bizarre, but it seems also like a relevant reflection when you're in your early or mid 30s where you're either with, like your friends who don't have kids and they're like partying, or your friends who do have kids and they're not partying and they're just looking up to their kids all the time.
S2: No, I actually quite like it too. I just thought it was funny and like, especially because, you know, having graduated from like, um, everybody being a sexy baby now, now we're at the weed a little babies.
S1: But it's it's a universe grows with this one.
S2: Correct. It's a, it's a funny kind of like, weirdly accurate snapshot of what it's like to be in your early 30s.
S1: My, um, my next favorite one. I think this is the one that seems to be referencing Travis Kelce. Uh, you know how to bowl I know Aristotle brand new full throttle. Touch me while you're bro's play Grand Theft Auto like I love a GTA reference in any song. That's great.
S8: So weird, isn't it?
S1: Does she? She knows Grand theft Auto. That's cool. You know, she's just one of those cool girls that wants to hang out with the fellas and watch them play video games. Who doesn't want that?
S2: But it's just the worst part is, I'm like, I can just see Travis, like, doing that while his brothers are playing Grand Theft Auto. And so it's just like, it's so weird. Is that the same song that mentions American Pie two? I think she's really living, like in 2006. This is another one that I actually found funny and also features babies from. But daddy, I love him screaming. But daddy, I love him. I'm having his baby. No I'm not, but you should see your faces. And I just thought that was actually really funny.
S1: It's actually. It's actually what, like, only she can pull off, which is a lyric that is about evoking fear or shock in the eyes of her fans, or listening and then telling them jokes on you right away.
S2: Yeah, and I do. I do appreciate that. Like, Taylor does have a good sense of like, what? You know, when to, like, take the piss out of herself and her fans and stuff. So I thought that was quite funny. But, uh, yeah.
S1: I have one more that I wanted to mention, and this goes to this theme of like, Weddings and Love, but this is just what I think is one of the weirdest. Like, it's like she can write about this idea way better and she's done it before. At dinner, you take my ring off my middle finger and put it on the one people put wedding rings on, and that's the closest I've come to my heart exploding. Now, like people have said, that's Matty Healy, kind of like love bombing her and, like, pretending to propose to it. But I'm like, you take my ring off my middle finger and put it on the one people put wedding rings on. That's not even a metaphor. That's just like a very dry description of something someone is doing. Um, very, very funny stuff.
S2: But that's the thing. When you release an album with like 600 tracks, then you just write yourself into a corner eventually and you just get fucking fed up. You're like, whatever.
S1: Exactly, exactly. So I mean, like I said earlier, those are fun things to pull out. I think a lot of them make more sense when you listen to them in the context of the song. And I think, as we were saying before, with a bit of distance from the release on Friday and the kind of discourse slowing down a little bit, it has been more interesting and enjoyable to just listen to this album. I don't think it's when I'll come back to a lot, but I also wouldn't be surprised if in like, you know, 12 months time, there's a couple of tracks from this that are on like a lot of people's favorite Taylor Swift playlist, sort of, you know, list of songs.
S2: It is interesting that really, I would say universally the response has been a bit muted. Um, and perhaps that was what we all needed. Maybe even Taylor. Maybe this will be what brings us the next amazing work from Taylor Swift is that, you know, it wasn't just absolute like fawning over the what she's produced. And like, we continue to just, like, suckle at the teat of Taylor Swift. Maybe this will be like the catalyst for an incredible album of work that is different and doesn't feature, you know, Jack Antonoff trademark production and isn't just all like, you know, cute little lyrics and maybe it'll it'll be the start of something amazing. Um, because, yeah, I think we've, we've ironically come to the end of a very impressive and like, game changing era and perhaps, you know, what comes next will be even better.
S1: Love that. Take love that. Ultimately why critical discourse that is honest is important because that's how you progress art and society forward. Thomas baby reindeer. This is your impress your friends recommendation from last week.
S9: You say this woman stalking you?
S10: Yeah, like six months, maybe. Why did it.
S9: Take you so long to report it? I think she needs help.
S10: She comes to my work, my house. She sends me emails, like, all the time. Or any.
S9: Threatening torture. Yeah, I wouldn't say that's particularly threatening.
S1: It's gone ballistic since then. Thanks to you. I'm going to give you all the credit for this. Number one, most watched TV show on Netflix all over the world. Really in the past few days. This show. Man, this is like. Even though you described it like quite accurately, it was way more intense and like full on than I was expecting it to be. Kind of like a really hard watch at times. But can you remind us what this is about for people who maybe haven't caught the baby reindeer wave yet?
S2: It's a show by Richard Gad, who writes and stars in the show, and it's based on his own one man show that he took to Edinburgh at the 2019 Fringe Festival. And it's basically based on his real life experience of having a stalker. Um, he was working in a pub in London. A woman came in one night and, you know, she seemed sad. He offered her a free drink on the house. And that began this kind of vicious cycle of being stalked by her while simultaneously, you know, this, I guess a bunch of other stuff in his life was unravelling. And and the one man show was the story of both his stalker and what happened to him in his personal life. And it kind of comes to this crazy, you know, like Stranger Than Fiction ending. The TV show, which has just come out on Netflix, is a retelling of that story with Richard Gadd playing himself and his stalker is is is named Martha in the show. And basically people have become enamored over the last week with, I guess that, you know, that real life element that, you know, based on a true story element. And as happens in these situations, it's kind of kicked off this incredible, I guess, movement. People are like, have you seen baby reindeer? Can you believe it? Is it true? What's true? Which parts of real. And it's still number one on Netflix now?
S8: I think it's really.
S1: Interesting because it's sort of like not pitched as a true crime show, but like it is essentially a true crime show. It's pitched this, this kind of like dark comedy thriller. And what's really interesting about it is I think the first episode is like kind of funny, and you think you're watching a comedy because it's about a comedian. But basically from then on in, there's not many jokes. It's just a pretty intense true crime thriller that is based on, like real crimes that that happened. It reminded me a bit of Michaela Coel I May Destroy You in the sense of someone who is writing about a traumatic incident that happened to them and how they sort of process a bit. Kind of unlike that. It's even tinier, more interior. It's a very small cast. It's a very small, like number of settings and things. And to really unusual TV show, like it's very, very good, but it's almost unlike many other TV shows I've seen where you just reach like a really dark point at the end of every episode, but you kind of feel compelled to keep watching, and it's very unsettling. I think by the end of it you don't really feel good, you don't really know how to feel, and it doesn't feel like the kind of show that would be so popular because it's not like funny and light and doesn't really have a clear message about, like, the world or whatever. I'm sort of surprised, it seems to have, you know, become so popular to so many people.
S2: Yeah, but we're also living in this age of, like, internet sleuths. And so it really plays into the the, like, armchair detective movement. And I think that's what's really been interesting about the past week because like, you know, in terms of like, what can you say about this show? Like, yeah, it's really amazing and everyone loves it. But what I found interesting is the how the response has, again, like, you know, we were talking earlier about like, just like how interesting it is to see how like people respond to big events. And this has thrown up another kind of challenge in that, you know, baby reindeer show based on a true story. And it's like you enter it into, you know, with the backing of Netflix to 300 million subscribers around the world. Yeah. And then you have people who inevitably are going to go digging. And so we've had Richard Gadd in recent days kind of basically take two because essentially, you know, at the end he he shows empathy for his stalker. She obviously has his real life stalker who we don't know. You know, it's never revealed in the show. She obviously has mental health issues. And as well, you know, as part of the show it's very triggering episode. But you know, Gad discusses sexual abuse that happened to him from someone who we understand is like a big figure in the comedy scene in London, a big producer and writer. Uh, and so people have naturally then been like, well, who are the real people who are the inspirations for these characters? And he's had to go on Instagram in the last week and say, look, I'm begging you, please don't go looking for these people. Like, because, you know, fans have like incorrectly fingered the wrong suspects and being like, oh, this, you know, he knows this producer who's, you know, big in the British comedy saying that must be the guy who assaulted him. And, you know, obviously they're getting these things wrong. And so he said, like, people are getting unfairly caught up in speculation. Please don't speculate on who the real life people could be. That's not the point of the show. But what is interesting is that critically, people have started to say, well, like, hold on a minute. Like, you know, when you do release something that is that uses the very like dangles the carrot of being based on a true story, you inevitably do invite people in to like, scratch the surface and do some digging.
S1: It's hard to have it both ways, you know? It's like you haven't changed enough details to make it. Like hard to find these people. And, you know, this is how people react. This is just how TV works. Reddit will go ballistic. There's lots and lots of Reddit threads where people think they found the person and they've named particular individuals, and he's gone on Instagram, like you said and said, like, it's not this person, but if you're that person and you're like, well, all these people are saying, it's me. He's saying it's not me. Why? Why am I even involved in this narrative? That would be, like deeply.
S8: Distressing and like.
S2: They do go to pains to be like, oh, we changed some really key details in the show to make it impossible for you to find. But that's just like, I mean, firstly, that's not really true. It's not.
S1: True. Like with the stalker, the Martha character, people have found her like social media posts and it's like one for one, like what she's posting and what she says in the show was the same thing.
S2: And I do understand because at the same time, this is his story, and he wanted to turn it into a piece of art and like, how much are you going to change until it becomes like completely unrecognizable? It's a very delicate balance. I mean, it's not his fault that we live in this crazy time when people are going to then like, pick apart your work. It's just it's just I guess that's what we've been. The most interesting thing for me over the last week is, like, you know, because I did like there's absolutely no denying the minute I finished the show, I sat on Google and I was like, who is the real Martha?
S1: I mean, this is one of those shows where you saw Wikipedia yet, like halfway through the show and I was like, damn, now I kind of know everything. So it's sort of ruined it for me. But it yeah, it's I think you're spot on. I think it's a gripping and like, very well-made show. And I mean, his acting is really good and a lot of the cast are really great. But I think you're right that a lot of its success is due to the kind of collapsing of the real world and the TV world, and that's something that just we are fascinated with at this current moment.
S8: But it's so funny.
S2: As well because I like Netflix, gave it no pro, no.
S1: Premiere at all. And I think that's also so interesting that it's like shot to number one without any kind of like backing. It's like they didn't really give people a heads up. It sort of started to get numbers and people were like, Holy shit, we should like interview Richard Gad. We should review this show. Really fascinating organic rise for this one.
S2: Yeah. Biggest, biggest word of mouth show I've seen in like 12 months, I reckon, for sure.
S1: And, Thomas, before we, um, get to our Impress Your Friend segment, just wanted to talk very briefly about another show that just wrapped up this week, one of my favorite shows over the past few months, Shogun on Disney Plus. We've talked about it a few times on this pod. I don't know how many people, uh, listening to this, uh, watching the show, so I don't want to go too deep into, like, the plot machinations or how it resolved or whatever, but just wanted to say that I think this was extraordinary show. I thought the ending was, like, incredible. I think every time you thought this show was going to go down an obvious path of, like showing us a big battle scene or like violence, like the Game of Thrones, half of it. It eschewed that and went for the more subtle succession style like character play and and sort of political intrigue. But one of the main things I thought watching this at the end is. This show is a really good endorsement of the non binge model, like what it means to release a really interesting show over the course of ten weeks, because you end up living with these characters for nearly three months. And so if they die or if they're in peril, you feel that I feel like way more emotionally than you do if you're watching like three Body Problem or even like replay, another show that we loved in one sitting, you just can't have that same emotional impact. And I know a lot in the show. You make fun of me for like pining for the good old days of TV. And, you know, I'm not saying this needs to be 20 episodes or anything like that, but yeah, I just I'm struggling to think of any positives of the binge model these days. I think the whole point of TV was that it was great. You could watch it, you could talk about it. I know friends who were hosting final episode parties this week. Like that collective experience where you talk, you debate, you grow with these characters and something as simple as watching the same characters over three months just makes you connect with them in a way that you can't if you watch them over 8 or 9 hours. And yeah, I just really, really, really think Netflix needs to stop doing that and needs to just like give us the weekly release, man.
S2: Yeah, I agree, it's funny. I'm surprised that, like, I feel like Shogun has so clearly I mean, obviously it's a much bigger pool in the States, but Shogun has really struck a chord over there and all of the websites and, you know, the kind of big critical websites that we like and enjoy and stuff are doing, like, you know, bicep recaps and giving it the full succession treatment, it didn't seem to cut through as much over here. Like, again, based just on word of mouth, like I spoke to so many friends who I know were into that kind of TV and like lots of them, I would say dropped off Shogun despite giving it a bit of a go. Like, do you have an even myself? Like I was really into it. I've kept up to date, but I haven't been like, absolutely.
S8: I think, I think.
S1: It's harder because it's harder to talk to people about it. I think you're right. Like in Canada, in the US, this was the number one show for the past couple of months, and I don't know what it is like. Maybe it's placement in the Disney+ app. Like I don't have the numbers on top of my head. I don't know if Disney Plus is less penetration in Australia perhaps, than it does in North America, but yeah, it didn't hit as strongly here as I was. I was expecting it to, which is I think is a shame. If you're listening to this and you haven't given it a go, I think it's really worth watching. It's really good.
S8: Television.
S2: Yeah, great. And, you know, I will be looking forward to watching the finale and then you and I can talk about.
S8: It, at least to each other.
S1: Um, all right, let's wrap up with Impress Your Friends, where we recommend something we watch, listen to, read or otherwise consumed in the past week. Why don't you go first, man? What have you got for us?
S8: Uh, yes.
S2: Well, look, I thought, um, as mentioned earlier, we're desperately missing Melanie Kambouris. Um, she'll be back next week, for those of you who are also missing her. So that's very exciting. But I thought in her honor I would do a book. Um, I say her honor. She's probably cringing as she listens to this.
S8: She's not listening. She's not listening to this.
S1: She's gallivanting around Europe. She's not paying any attention to what we're doing.
S2: No, but I'll tell her that I mentioned during this.
S8: Just get forward.
S2: So this is a book? Uh, it's Caledonian Road by Andrew Ohagan. It came out a few weeks ago, um, April 4th. So he's, of course, the author of mayflies. Osmond, I think you will love this book. I don't know if you're across it yet. No I'm not. So do you know Andrew Ohagan, the author?
S1: No, I don't think so.
S2: Okay. So he's like, he wrote mayflies, which was great. He's nominated for the Booker. But this basically they're calling it like a state of the Union novel. So it's set in May 2021, in London, kind of like post-Covid. Uh, the protagonist is this guy Campbell Flynn. He's an art historian. He's, you know, billed as a celebrity intellectual, which I know really appeals to you. And he's basically like, you know, he's kind of like, yeah, a public intellectual who goes on talk shows and writes his, you know, popular columns. And he basically he's married really well. And then the book just throws us into this world where he is kind of like, uh, interacting with like, London gangsters and art dealers and Russian oligarchs. And basically we get access to Campbell's full interior world while also getting a snapshot of, like, modern day London. But it could really be like modern day Sydney. It's this like, you know, he he becomes like he gets engaged with this brilliant student of his. And it's like this really interesting snapshot of like public intellectuals, academia, you know, entitlement, privilege, people who are kind of like, born into this world of privileged people who access it, people who are adjacent to it. It's a really interesting book. Very funny. Uh, and yeah, it feels like very timely, uh, probably done a very poor job of explaining what it is. I'm only halfway through, but I'm absolutely loving it. So that's Caledonian Road by Andrew Ohagan.
S1: Now he's done a great job. I mean I'm compelled to read. I've just as you know, uh, finished reading Dilly Alden's uh, latest book, which you recommended to me ages ago, which I like. Your recommendation turns out pretty good. So I'm excited to add this one to the list. Um, mine is also a read. A shorter read, though. Uh, it's a Harper's Magazine article called The Life and Death of Hollywood by Daniel Bester. I mean, this is extremely in my wheelhouse. This is a really interesting, long essay about the state of Hollywood and Hollywood writers in particular through the lens of, I guess, labor relations, looking at the. Way that things are operating post the strikes, but also giving us a longer zoom look at the industry, kind of from the 50s on, and how different government policies around encouraging consolidation have changed. Who gets to make TV shows and films, and what artists are paid and why. The culture we consume now is a direct result of reforms made by Bill Clinton in the 90s, for example, to let TV networks buy up the companies that make TV shows. It might sound a bit dry and economic and esoteric, but it's written very compellingly. And if you ever want to like, think about like, why is this a streaming show and not a film? Or why is Netflix doing the binge drop model? For example? This essay does a really good job of explaining it through the perspective of actually, none of this is an accident. Like venture capital got involved in these businesses. The pandemic had this kind of impact, like the lack of labor power over capital here led to this happening. Obviously, all things that I care a lot about, but it's written in a very, very interesting way. If you care at all about how art and culture is made, would really strongly recommend this piece.
S8: Yeah, I think he.
S2: Sent it to me during the week and you were like, this is a must read.
S1: You should definitely read it.
S8: You really were.
S2: Trying to impress your.
S8: Friends.
S2: So I will, I will now that you've now that you've shared it with the pod, I will take your advice on board.
S1: I look, I made it through that podcast without, um, dying. And I've started to have coughing fits as we get to the end. So I think this is the perfect time to wrap it up. My man. Thank you so much for the conversations. See you next week. See you next week. This episode of The Drop was produced by Qi Wang. If you enjoyed listening to today's episode of The Drop, make sure to follow us on your favorite podcast app. Leave us a review or better yet, share the episode with a friend. I'm Usman Farooqui. See you next week!