Speaker 1: Now this is three aw Drive with Jackie Fowlgate.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon on a real wintersday. It's been hailing across some of our suburbs and it be snowing in Mount Macedon. So what's the weather like where you are? And I really hope today the farmers are getting the rain they need to coming up on the show. It is almost laughable, I think now when you open the paper and you read that the Westgate Tunnel is set to almost double its initial six point three billion dollar budget. Now the project is already four billion over budget and it's running three years late. So by the time it's all said and done, best case scenario, it is close to twelve billion dollars. Like I said, it's some kind of sick joke, isn't it when you read these numbers out we have cost blowouts of four billion and we say it like it's four dollars. It's four billion dollars And the government says taxpayers, don't worry, you won't be responsible for that. Well, don't hold your birth because Transurban has written to the Transport and Infrastructure Minister Gabrielle Williams to warn her of likely legal action. You the taxpayers will be paying for that legal action and Transurban will already be making tens of billions of dollars extra anyway from the new road and the extension of the City Link tolling contract. So if they have to carry the can for more costs, Transurban will just put up the cost of the toll road itself. One double three six ninety three. This is what it is like in Victoria right now. You cannot when it comes to the cost of things. We cannot trust any budgeting whatsoever. And I think that's a sad state of affairs because if it were the private sector, these ministers would have been sacked long ago. And make no mistake, I think the Westgate Tunnel is a great project, especially for the long suffering people who live in the West. But the problem is paying CFMMU contractors is exorbitant rates. We know it is around thirty percent extra on any government big build, thirty percent you put on the top of any normal costings. And here's where it comes home to roost. Years of corruption and dodgy jobs for mates within the CFMU. There was a toxic soil issue with the Westgate project. Fine, but to double the cost you building contingencies to any contract that you do in business, and for this to now cost twelve billion dollars overtime and over budget like everything else in this state. And I feel for those who do live in the West who are still enduring the wild traffic conditions out there every single day because of the construction and just the general congestion and the doubling of the bill out for the Westgate Tunnel one double three, six ninety three, the SRL right, no federal funding, funding, no money, no money at all, and no plan as to how to get the money. None of it stacks up according to Infrastructure Now, that project, as we well know, thirty four point five billion dollars. And I am fairly sure not one person listening to this program right now thinks that thirty four point five billion will be the final bill for that white elephant one double three, six ninety three. And I was thinking about it. You know, I can sit here and pontificate about this every single day, but when it comes to our major projects, what do we do about them? I personally would be happy to get people from the private sector and pay them experienced men and women. They need to form an independent panel like infrastructure Australia, but for us here in Victoria that is broadcast for the public to see, like you can go along or you can watch it online. How is our money spent? Because it is time to lift the covers off these conversations. I think a year out from the election, the government is still continuing to sign dodgy contracts that we will not be able to get out of. I don't think they can be trusted with our money anymore. And the Westgate Tunnel and that cost blow out there a twelve billion dollar example of how you just can't trust them with our money. One double three six nine three. What's if you're on that and what do you think about some kind of independent panel. Maybe we look at the people who have done really well in business, like whether it's former CEOs of banks or whether it's people that ran big companies in this state, and you go, you have been a success in the private sector when it comes to big build like if it's over say two billion dollars, I want an independent panel to look at how this money is allocated and ordered it because right now I think we're all like mushrooms, We're all just living in the dark. One double three six y nine three and this is a little one that's out of the box. So last night the City of Windham voted to use council money, so rate payers money, to fund a private security force for the suburb of Trugga Niner. So three hundred and seventy thousand dollars of rate payers money for a job that is the responsibility of the state government and police. So this is a trial. Last night there was this really fun council meeting. Apparently it's meant to go for two hours and it went for four and the majority of residents in all of the polling that the City of Wyndom did they don't support a private security force for trugger Nina. If you want to hire private security and you pay for it, and I know many people who've done this because of the youth crime wave, great go ahead, But I don't think it should be the job of counsel to provide it for one suburb alone, when all rate payers have to pay for it. And what if there is an incident? Are these private security people armed? How are they trained? How will it work? This is essentially a de facto police force for the suburb of Trugga Nina and the people of Wyndham are paying for it. If you live there, are you happy to have your rates spend on a trial for residents of just one suburb? And if you have hired private security to deal with the youth crime wave? How much did it cost you and was it worth it? One double three six nine three. And we did spend a lot of time yesterday talking about our hospital system and I think it was really warranted listening to some of the calls and the and listening to some of you and what you said about your experiences in emergency departments over the last weeks and months, because I thought today we would actually speak to the virtual Emergency department. So this is something I've used this before. I used it last week actually, and it's really good. It's done for the people of the North. But you can ring from anywhere in Victoria and you still get the service and you don't have to pay for it. It's free. It's like an online virtual ED it's called and it's like an online triage system where if you're unwell on the weekends or out of hours or you can't get to a GP, you call up and you speak to a nurse and then you speak to a doctor. It's actually very good. So I thought we might have a chat to there man and sort of see what the experience is like. And if you have used virtual ed, what did you think one double three six nine three? Did it stop you from going to an emergency department? It's free, so if you can't afford to go to the GP, it's also a really good option. And also coming up later in the show, why did you choose the career that you did, Because there's a new study out today that kids binge what shows like Law and Order and Gray's Anatomy, and they then they want to be doctors and lawyers, except they don't think that they need a degree to do so they just watched the show and they're like, Yeah, that looks fun. I want to do that. So what did you do when you were at UNI, Like did your career meet your expectations? What did you always want to be and why did you choose the career that you're in. I always wanted to be a journalist from the very first moment I could talk. That was all I wanted to do. I went around and I did work experience when I was about fifteen at all the country newspapers and I just loved it and that was always what I wanted to do. But why did you choose your career and did it were you inspired by a TV show like Lauren Order, Oh Grace and had to be won double three six nine three. But let's get right into it now at fourteen minutes past three and you can drop us an email drive at threew dot com dot au Dom. Good afternoon, Hello, go ahead, Hello, yeah gay Jackie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a couple of points. But the blow EU they say won't be paid by tax players, well it'll be it's transerve and so the totals on it will definitely make up any extra money. They've got a fund, so the tolls will be huge. I love you to ask when will the tolls be the final price for you? Finalized?
Speaker 4: And also suburban rail wing Dan Andrews came out twentieth and November twenty twenty one at thirty four billion, and the yelling government reckon with all the massive cost blowout in every form of construction, it's still going to be thirty four billion, which is absolutely fair.
Speaker 2: And even the fact that the infrastructure Australia Dom has repeatedly said that their cost capture analysis it doesn't stack up.
Speaker 3: And just on your saying about you need a proper group have a look at all these infrastructure, sorry, these renewable energy projects snowy hydro two billion experts at the time said of his guard he's just going to cost twelve Every renewable energy project has blown out. There was an arnivel that said five billion dollars with the original for a whole lot, and they're up to about twenty. And also that the they reckon on a lot of these renewable energy projects. They put in these low bits and when they go up they make more money. So I think what you're saying is pretty good. You need proper train people correct to have a look at all these contracts.
Speaker 2: Yes, I want to find the most successful people. Who is the most successful person in business in Victoria? Do you think one double three, six nine three? Thanks Tom, Because do we need to pay them like an awful lot of money and go. I want someone who actually knows what they're doing with money to sort this mess out. And just a quick one on the weather if you are out and about at the moment, Lauren the street in the dock lines have just been sent a video really bad flooding with lots of people driving through there and some of the smaller cars probably wouldn't be risking that. Just outside all those high rise towers on the side of the freeway there whereabout to you around Victoria And what is the weather like now? Johnny with a drive time tip.
Speaker 5: Hello, Hi Jackie, love your shirt.
Speaker 6: Just wanted to let the callers and the listeners the corner of Bong Street and Mary Street. President, there's been a freak recedence. It's a sort of stuck at the moment, but it's slowly trying to get itself organized.
Speaker 2: Johnny. Thank you, So Bell Street and Mary Street. Impreston what's the weather like there, Johnny.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's absolutely rainy.
Speaker 6: It's shocking.
Speaker 2: It's coming down from Yeah, I can hear you. Winskreen Wifes, Thank you, Johnny. Drive Time Tippi is thanks to Sheine Panel Service had an accident. Call Sheen for a replacement vehicle. T's and c's apply. So how do you want the government to spend our money? Do you think we need to get someone who's not a politician to manage it, like an independent panel or people and you can go along like a court hearing, or you can watch it online and they can justify it to the general public how they are spending a generational level of money so that our kids and our grandkids and our grandkids' grandkids are saddled with this level of debt. Nicole in Cranbourne.
Speaker 8: Hello, yes, yes, the Hi Jackie, Yay.
Speaker 2: I'm good. What's the weather like?
Speaker 9: Yes, well I just ask me by Nash. Just sat skipping highway and the sun was shining as bright as anything, and there was a double rainbow in front of me, and then a couple of meters down the road it started boring.
Speaker 2: How beautiful a double rainbow.
Speaker 9: Yes, I've never said I'm seventy two years old, I've never seen a double rainbow in my life.
Speaker 2: I have, I don't think I have. But you know what, I can give you something to celebrate a double rainbow with, Nicole. Have two bottles of the new and Delicious to Bordery Buttery Chardonnay. I'll put you back to live and off there from Margaret. She says, it's snowing in King Lake. It's gonna be a good ski season. What do you think one double three six nine three. Are you off to the snow? I think in Mount Dono Buang it's also snowing as well. And obviously the ski fields all of them have had a big dump. But I did get center video on Collins Street and I thought it was snow, but Carl tells me it's hail. But it's kind of like a little flurry of what is sleet? Could you get Could you get sleet in the city? I don't know. Andrew, Hello, yeah, going good.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: In regard to the cost analysis, the government actually employs or takes into account or sorry, they utilize external companies for that reason.
Speaker 11: They do.
Speaker 5: They there's there's many millions of dollars that they pay other companies to do this cost analysis.
Speaker 2: And I was thinking about that, like consultants, Andrew.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one hundred percent when they have to because not being rude, the people that we are left, they've got no idea.
Speaker 2: Yes better, I'm serious, No, I agree, I agree, and and.
Speaker 5: And they should be accountable and they should be put up on the on the open front and marketplace and go, well, this is what we're being told by these people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Andrew, that was my point about the panel that is open to the public, and is it something where you know, every quarter the members of the public can go along or they can log into a zoom link and you can actually hear these people get questioned by by the taxpayer, the person whose money you're spending. Because I find with these major projects and the government really annoyed me at the time, Like during the election when the suburban railupe, I was told by multiple senior sources on that project who said from the federal level they were told to hold off on any announcements involving funding until the end of the election. The premier came out and outright said in a media conference that I was wrong, and then on the Monday they announced it the monday after the election. I haven't forgotten that. And this is the whole thing, right, Everything is done cloak and dagger behind our eyes, and we're the ones paying for it. And I think when you're coming a year into a year out or just over a year out from an election, we need to have more transparency when it comes to the way our money is spent and in particular cost blowouts. So who should we get to sort out our finances? One double three six x ninety three is there any businessman or woman that you really respect in this state? I can think of all those people that have started companies from the ground up and made a success of it in Victoria. We need some of them. Your emails as well, Drive at threew dot com dot au and why did you choose the career you did? And tell me is it snowing?
Speaker 12: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it freezing where you are? It is twenty four minutes past three. Thanks for your company on drive. I mentioned at the start of the show the Virtual ed service and if you've used it one double three six nine three, because it was another really tough night for paramedics and hospital staff throughout the state. And every year we come back to this same issue when it's cold and you get seasonal flues and things. But it's more than that. The hospital system is not get up to cope with this level of demand anymore. I guess because we have more people wanting to use it, and yet we're throwing money away on stuff like the SROL. Well, we're not even throwing it away, we're borrowing it at an interest level that we simply can't afford. And I asked everyone if you'd use the virtual ED and what you thought of it.
Speaker 13: M Hello, Hi Jackie. Good to speak with you. Obvious virtual ED a few times to my sons that have disability, and I've found that the given exceptional advice has been really useful to me and actually both on there to call an ambulance, but are we able to go through the symptoms together? And we've got the call the ambulance for my sons and got them seen to pretty quickly. So I think it's a fantastic service just to sort of confirm things with you of the phone, what's inside the symptoms, that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of people worry and as to whether they should call an ambulance or not, right, and so you knew having the medical care there that you should.
Speaker 13: Well I always worry about sort of taking clean AMers as well, but I kind of knew DIP that they needed ambulance, but just wanted to confirm things with them. They agreed and they actually call the ambulances, perhaps got the ambulance to us quicker than it would have been otherwise.
Speaker 2: Thank you. So we're going to chat to the virtual ED people later in the program and sort of say well, it's open to everybody. How do you go about it, how do you access it, what do you need? And is it a successful service if you've used it? Let me know one double three six ninety three. And on the Suburban rail loop Shane, Hello, yeah.
Speaker 14: Good Jakie, just two quick things for may suburban road Will. I don't know if you're aware that the Cheltenham Railway station and the Suburban rail Loop station is like a klomba and a half two klumb is apart. And how are you supposed to go from one to the other if you're disabled? It just doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Shane, I don't I'm not across the distances. What I do think, though, is that at the moment we just simply can't afford it. And the Westcape Tunnel project is a really good example of this too. So the government is insisting today that taxpayers will not put the bill for the extra money that the consortium is now saying it's going to cost to build it. So it's already three years late and already four billion dollars over budget, and it's going to come in by the time all of this is said and done at over twelve billion dollars. It is a good project. But again the government's saying, oh, taxpayers won't have to pay for that, whether it's now or later, they sure will. Doctor Eric Keyes is a PhD researcher at the Center for Urban Research at r MIT. Doctor Eric Good, afternoon, Jackie. Okay, so let's begin. Now, what did you make of the latest report? So I suppose none of this came as a shock.
Speaker 15: Oh, look, it's a major project. Major projects typically run over budget, so I wasn't expecting the news today. But it doesn't really comes as a major surprise.
Speaker 2: The estimated final price is now almost double the original six point three billion. How does that happen?
Speaker 15: Well, it's probably even worse than that, Jackie. The government was elected back in twenty fourteen promising to build the Western Distributor Project, which was a project that was going to cost less than a billion billion dollars. And while they had that as their platform in the twenty fourteen election, Tim Pallace was negotiating with Transit over this much more expensive project. So immediately after they were elected in December twenty fourteen, in twenty fifteen, we heard they had abandoned the project, had taken to the elections, and was going forward with the project at that time that was worth five billion dollars that have been put forward by Transurban. Now, the whole process from the point that Transurb and put this much bigger project on the table has been criticized by planners, academics, the Order to General and ever since twenty fifteen and the five billion dollars, we've seen the cost of the project go up and up and up. And I might take issue with your point that it's a needed and good project.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Please, it's a.
Speaker 15: Bit naive to think this is going to solve our traffic congestion project. I don't think anybody can point to any freeway in Melbourne that has solved traffic congestion.
Speaker 2: It to have a second river crossing, I think is a good thing.
Speaker 15: Except this, If the Westgate Tunnel, if the Westgate Bridge has to be closed for any particular reason, which it does happen on occasion, we will still descend into traffic chaos, and so that the tunnel will come overwhelmed. The gridlock that will happen will be just as bad. For the simple matter is we are over dependent on car traffic in and around the city. So to be building freeways in the middle of the city sort of doesn't make sense anymore.
Speaker 2: But we can't trust the public transport either. Like today, for example, the V line completely crushed again from Geelong into the city and everyone had to get a bus. Like I can understand why nobody wants to get out of their cars right now.
Speaker 15: Get a look. No transport systems perfect will always be disruptions. People do tend to accept sitting in traffic congestion more than they accept trains.
Speaker 2: Being that's true.
Speaker 15: You know that is true, and so we're dealing with people's emotions about this. But I'm talking about what's actually good for the city. And you know, we've all traveled around the world, We've all gone to cities with good public transport system and I think most people actually want that for Melbourne.
Speaker 2: They do, But you don't support suburban raw do you? From memory?
Speaker 15: Look, I've got questions about suburban railroad. I'm very happy the government's investing in public transport. It's says that there would be much better investments to be made in public transport. Suburban railroad for the benefits it's delivering, is costing way too much money. And Westgate Tunnel project is a similar example. Where the benefits of the projects are going to deliver is probably now sitting at about the third of the cost of the project. So French dollar this will end up costing. US will end up getting about thirty cents back and it's a very expensive way of not really solving a traffic congestion Propley, what.
Speaker 2: About the fact that Transurban, the toll operator, now basically has a free for all on tolls to help operate it. And in terms of Citiling extending that contract as well.
Speaker 15: Exactly, you know, the Citiling users have been paying for this project ever since it was announced back in twenty fifteen. The government did a deal to increase the tolls to pay for this project. They've extended the tolls on City Link by an extra ten years to pay for this project. So and because those motorists are paying tolls for a project they're not actually for a road they're not actually using, it's a sneaky form of taxation. It's not it's gone beyond a user pays principle. Because you're paying to use one road to fund another road. It's transferring money across and you know it's particularly unjust. I happen to live in one of the northern suburbs. So the Tellmarine Freeways one of the ones I use, and I look at envy as the people on the Eastern Freeway for example. It it's a free ride.
Speaker 2: Thank you. That's doctor Eric Keyes who's from r MIT. Interesting discussion, Tony.
Speaker 16: Tatio, well, he's raised a number of more.
Speaker 2: The toll thing is interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 16: And the public transport the thing is, of course people prefer to sit in their car in the middle of winter rather than be stuken at a railway station where the wind is blowing.
Speaker 2: Or it's basically snowing today.
Speaker 16: Yeah, of course, but we can't build. I mean people talk about Paris. Paris is building amazing public transport at the moment. But they're doing it at a quarter of our cost.
Speaker 2: Jack Well, they don't have to see for me.
Speaker 16: You Well, for whatever reason, they're doing it at a quarter of our cost.
Speaker 2: They don't have.
Speaker 16: The we would be better doing nothing.
Speaker 2: Well that's what he's saying. He's like as a cost per ware.
Speaker 16: Jackie coming up in the news at four o'clock, that's our lead story. The state government is claiming that taxpayers will not be footing the bill for another cost blowout on the Westgate Tunnel project. The cost has increased by one point five billion, taking the total bill to twelve billion dollars, and that's almost double the initial price tag. The Prime Minister will travel to China later this year, where he's expected to meet senior officials, including his counterparts Ujing Ping. It'll be Anthony Albinizi's fourth face to face meeting with the Chinese president. The Prime Minister is yet to secure a face to face meeting with Donald Trump. A lawyer acting for Antoinette Latoufe has accused the ABC of ludicrous use of taxpayers money in fighting her unfair dismissal claim. The ABC has been ordered to pay the journalist seventy thousand dollars after a judge found her political opinions on the conflict in Gaza were part of the reason she was taken off air. And in Sport, Michael Voss feels like he still has the support of the Carlton bord amid mounting pressure on his position as coach. He's adam at his message is still getting through to his players.
Speaker 2: Jackie Details at four Tony thank you and just in South Melbourne do not drive down Brody and White Streets. It's completely flooded. People keep sending me photos of cars sitting in the water. Your drivetime tips are always welcome thanks to Sheen Panel Service. Had an accident, call Sheen for a replacement vehicle coming up. Rich I was in and he wants to know and I'm so excited about this discussion. What do you do at home when your partner and kids are away? And what he's been doing is eating curriage sausages. So two questions, what do you do when your family is away, when you're at home on your own and are courage sausage is underrated? It is at twenty two minutes to four, drop us a line, drive it through at w dot com dot you and if you're in Docklands or indeed in Elwood, it's a king tart at the moment Docklands is there's parts of that Laura Mystery area that are completely underwater. So let us know where you are. One double, three six nine three and ross. What have you seen?
Speaker 10: The Human Highways been temporary closed between Seymour and Tallerrook. Looks like trees come across the road. Melbourne bound. Police an ambulance are in attendance. The Travis starting to get through there now, so I guess it's bank back a few kilometers. R.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Sirs, Seymour and teller on the hue. The trees come down, you drive on. Tips are always welcome thanks to temper. A great night's sleep night after night. The difference is temper and someone who's been having a great nights sleep is this man now on.
Speaker 17: Three a W drive that tigers legends. Matthew Widgardson, Matthew Widgardson, take the stress out of tax and consider appointing a new tax agent for your business.
Speaker 1: Visit R J Sanderson dot com dot au.
Speaker 2: You've been having a very good few days.
Speaker 18: Hello Jackie. I feel very rested. I believe my family, so wait it's there. Last night tonight they went up to Queensland to see their park because it was his birthday, and they went and spent a few days with him in Burly Head. So I've had three the last three nights at home on my own. And when you got three young kids, that is heaven, right, that was heaven. You know what time I went to bed last night. I'm not even joking. Eight o'clock, yes, yes, and I got up at eight o'clock.
Speaker 2: Yes, you had ten hours sleep.
Speaker 18: It wasn't asleep the whole time because I was watching some sports documentaries that I never get to watch. I've been in heaven.
Speaker 2: What do you do when your family is away? I'm quite similar. I have Actually, if my family are ever away, I will get home from work, I will get into my pajamas, I will get a bowl of pasta, I will go to bed, I will eat it in bed, and then I'll go to sleep. And if I'm asleep by seven thirty, that is my That is just the heavens heaven.
Speaker 18: I saw a guy at the gym this morning, at Ganti, I know, and he said, what are you doing? I said, on my family's away. I went to bed at eight o'clock. He said, haven't times changed? He said? Years ago? Ten years ago would have been straight to the pub or I have done that as.
Speaker 2: Well, though, sleep and you went to the pub as well.
Speaker 18: Last night, But I did. I did Sunday and Monday. Don't about that?
Speaker 2: Wonderful three six nine three? What did you do when your family is away? And I wanted to cook?
Speaker 18: What you want to cook? My wife doesn't let me cook because she thinks.
Speaker 2: I know why she doesn't, Genevieve. If you're listening, I support you.
Speaker 18: So I've had carried sausages. There is nothing better. And I don't get why you don't. I bet you there's some listeners out there that rate carried sausages.
Speaker 2: Do you rate carried sausages? Let us know because you trick them out of recipe.
Speaker 18: You can trick them up. You can get just your cheap hat of snags that you get from coals, or you can go to the butcher and really spice them and make the trick them up a bit.
Speaker 2: How do you cook?
Speaker 18: I think you're underrating them, Jack, you don't like curried?
Speaker 2: No, I love carry. I just don't like something that I was fed as a child.
Speaker 18: Do you like you don't like sausages.
Speaker 2: I don't need sausages.
Speaker 18: You wouldn't have one in bread chicken.
Speaker 2: One I probably would. I wouldn't need a beef one.
Speaker 18: Carry them up?
Speaker 2: No, And what do you put in your curried sausages?
Speaker 18: Well, you start off, you fry the snags off, You fry them off, then you take them out. You do a bit of onion, garlic, bit of flat hour, your curry powder, some stock, some carrots, maybe even a dasher was to share.
Speaker 2: We've got to have the worst yep, yep.
Speaker 18: And then you can have them with mashed potato, or you can have them with rice.
Speaker 2: What have you been having them with?
Speaker 18: I have them with rice? No, ill boil it up?
Speaker 2: You boil it up.
Speaker 18: It's starting to really test my cooking ability there, because you.
Speaker 2: Can buy that. I thought, if you get that packet round ninety second?
Speaker 18: Rice?
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you have that?
Speaker 18: I have had it before, I didn't this time.
Speaker 19: All right?
Speaker 2: What do you do when your family's away? And do you eat carried sausage?
Speaker 18: What do you cook? What do you cook when your partner's away?
Speaker 2: Fasta Craig? Hello?
Speaker 11: Are you going good?
Speaker 2: What do you do in the families away?
Speaker 20: You see take away pizza? PlayStation?
Speaker 18: That's a good one. Play PlayStation I used to do.
Speaker 2: What are you, Craig?
Speaker 18: What do you play? Craig? What's your go to game.
Speaker 11: All night for?
Speaker 2: I don't know this? It's popular with the one. Yeah, yeah, everyone wants to talk about curriage sausages. Thanks Craig. Hi, Carlo, Hello, Carlo? Where's Carlo? I can calor you there?
Speaker 10: Coming?
Speaker 11: I'm coming back from Fragan.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, and.
Speaker 21: Carriage absolutely foul?
Speaker 18: Why is that, Carlo? Are you?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 18: See, I've got to make Christian Jeremiah, who's Italian. He loves his food and he just thinks that it's an Aussie Bogan thing to do.
Speaker 2: But I think that's sort of where I'm at, That's where you're at with it. But I admire the fact that as soon as your family flees, you go down and you buy yourself a pack of six sausages poles and you curry.
Speaker 18: I crave them because won't cook that. But what else do you do? Like? What do you watch on TV?
Speaker 22: Like?
Speaker 18: I've just got the choice. I've been watching all the thirty for thirty I love. I watched The Rick Flair one last night, The Wrestler in Bed. I watched it in bed.
Speaker 2: Yes, and no One Bothered You and no all child.
Speaker 18: Playing my records from start to finish. I haven't had to listen to Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift or Katie Perry.
Speaker 2: Have you been missing your fans?
Speaker 18: I have.
Speaker 2: I don't pretend.
Speaker 18: I don't want it to sound like I'm looking forward to them sound like that. But I'm going to make the most of my last night.
Speaker 2: What's tonight? What's on the menu tonight?
Speaker 18: I haven't decided yet, but I'll do that. I'll go to supermarket on the way home.
Speaker 4: Aldo, Hello, good guys.
Speaker 23: I used to eat campi when the family way, but until I realized what was it that? What is it but ox tongue and all sorts of scraps and stuff of the Animal's.
Speaker 18: All right, ox tongue.
Speaker 2: Sorry, this is what happens when men are left to their own devices. He's eating ox tongue and you're eating current sausage.
Speaker 18: When my mum went away and Dad had to look after us, all we ever had was bacon, and their house was chops for dinner.
Speaker 2: Chops. That's why I can never eat chops more. After this, I'm just shaking my head at eleven minutes to four with you and your carried sausages.
Speaker 18: Well, you can't believe it, but I googled a recipe before to see if mine was similar to what most people are doing. Did you know Google searches for carried sausages are up one hundred and seventy nine percent in the last five years. They have become a thing, are they They're more gormet than they used to be.
Speaker 2: They'd wanna be Catherine, Hello, Hello, what do you eat gatherin when the family's away?
Speaker 10: Shouldn't?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice.
Speaker 13: I love a tub of fairy floss?
Speaker 2: Fairy floss? How old are you, Catherine?
Speaker 18: Yes? Is that fairy floss ice cream?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 2: She means like the actual fairy flossy?
Speaker 24: Where do you get?
Speaker 18: How do you get there?
Speaker 16: Get?
Speaker 2: They sell that at the supermarket, big w Right.
Speaker 18: I'm not not my gay fairy flops.
Speaker 2: Just imagine it listening to your hippie records records with it carried sausages and a bit of fairy floss. Aaron, Hello, there you're going.
Speaker 6: Rich. Oh you can have your carried sausages for me. It's past. But the sauce has to be the tin of Campbell's spaghetti sauce. Then when I'm done, I go out to the carriage with a bottle of red wine, bottle of whiskey, my cigar collection, and I turn on the either the footy or the cricket or something that's on and sit there and tinker on one of the cars.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and you're living your dream there is.
Speaker 2: What this has turned into is a segment of men left to their own devices.
Speaker 18: I know that is basic. That the tinned spaghetti sauces. Not even I would go that.
Speaker 2: And Peter's got a tip about carry sausages. Hi, Peter, I go rich O.
Speaker 25: I was just gonna say, next time you want to cook your carried sausages, just put them in a pot of boiling water for ten minutes and the hooks them. And then when you finished with them, they when they boiled off, all the skin and all of that comes out of them. So that way you just chop them up and then you can.
Speaker 2: Try them with And I'm literally try reaching them.
Speaker 18: I'm trying that, Peter. That makes them a bit more healthy, does it?
Speaker 26: Yeah?
Speaker 25: And all the skin comes off.
Speaker 18: Healthy carried sausages.
Speaker 2: Jack this segment, there's got to be We're not doing this again, Peter, Thank you, Ziggy Hello.
Speaker 23: Yeah.
Speaker 27: Yeah.
Speaker 6: When my families away, it's the only time I get to listen to mus against the volume that it's supposed.
Speaker 18: To be played at spot on, Siggy, grab.
Speaker 6: A bottle of good deep tollly Charz Peter, and if the mood stripes get on the table, put a lamp shade on your head and dance A night away is an old rocket?
Speaker 2: Is it going to be you tonight? With a lamp shade on your head?
Speaker 18: When a c DC was announced a couple of days ago, I pulled out a couple of a CDC records and just turned them right up. So the girls wouldn't let me do that. No, it's just too loud for them making No, they don't understand.
Speaker 2: They want a bit of tea.
Speaker 18: Well, they want Tata or Katie or Billie Eilish. They don't get some guitars and drums yet.
Speaker 2: Ziggy thanks, and Linda on curried sausages, Well, would you call.
Speaker 28: The lollipop like a lollipop playing? And today while I was two or three eyes and sat them up, we're putting potatoes in them, having them with in the album rolls good, good warm.
Speaker 2: There you go, Linda, there you go. See the people they've spoken on the carriage.
Speaker 18: They're more popular than you think. And that good winter food there, comfort food.
Speaker 2: Just I'd rather do like a slow cooker of a lamb.
Speaker 18: Live out there to mac and cheese for her.
Speaker 2: That's all right. We did winter comfort Food with George actually, and a lot of people they like. They like to stew.
Speaker 18: Stews, a good stewy toping.
Speaker 2: Well, the curry sausages kind of like stewed sausages.
Speaker 18: Actually, no, I'm going to make some for you.
Speaker 2: I will not eat them. You couldn't pay me, No, don't, I'll throw up Wayne.
Speaker 3: Hello, Yeah, I'm with you with the carriage sausages on toast.
Speaker 20: I don't wait until a family away.
Speaker 29: I haven't whenever I want.
Speaker 20: But my go to is the crumbed lamb brains and bacont through toast.
Speaker 2: My grandmother used to eat crumb lamb's brains. Again, something you couldn't pay.
Speaker 18: It was just cheap, it wasn't he didn't waste anything. My nan did it as well.
Speaker 2: Would you eat a lambraine?
Speaker 18: Yeah, they used to do them at the Roast Hotel in Yeah, because they had a really old school sort of a lamb.
Speaker 2: Because I was also fed lambs fry and bacon, which is also disgusting.
Speaker 18: Well, it was just didn't waste anything back in those days, did you?
Speaker 30: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I know, but not now I can't. I can't. I can't eat awful. I can't.
Speaker 18: You've been living in Brighton too long.
Speaker 2: I never lived in Brighton. I lived in Hampton. Now we all know where I live because in the paper, good to see you. What are you going to do tonight?
Speaker 18: Have you decided I'll definitely listen to a record and I think I've got some frozen beefandlo.
Speaker 2: You know what it is with you? It's carries.
Speaker 18: I love it now. This is my father in law makes this great beef indlo really hot and the girls don't like it because it's too hot. So I'm just gonna sweat up tonight.
Speaker 2: Enjoy Thato. No, it is twenty two minutes. Sorry, it is two minutes to four, and we are turning up the heat with three airws thirty k cash giveaway. We are spinning the wheel in breakfast mornings, afternoons and drive so you'll need to listen to the show for the queue to call later and you could spin and win with three Airw's thirty K cash giveaway. And it goes a little something like this.
Speaker 23: Go ahead, ma'am, Go.
Speaker 2: Ahead, ma'am. Listen out for this later in the program, we'll play it for you one more time. Go ahead, ma'am, and call then for three aw's thirty K cash giveaway coming up after four Kick the emails coming drive at threew dot com dot A and we're going to check in with the Department of Trance because flooding is causing traffic chaos and there's a king tide at the moment. So if you're on if you're around Docklands or near the Yarra, let us know where you are. Have you seen snow today? Have you seen the hail? What is happening in your area? I've heard of widespread outages as well in relation to power and we'll also get the latest from the US and Iran on Iran and have you used virtual ed Let me know. Tongue in Mouth.
Speaker 31: On three aw and across Victoria Drive with Jackie Folgates.
Speaker 2: It is seven minutes past four. Thanks for your company on drive. It is really wild, as you just heard in Tony News the weather out there with that severe weather warning. Where are you now? Let us know one double three six nine three. Certainly snowing at Macedon on the nearby hills, but there is some quite significant flooding around South Melbourne in Docklands and the Yarra in places a Ponyfish Island, which is that really cute little bar that sits right on the edge of the Yarrow there that's underwater. So where are you? Let us know what the weather is like where you're from. And Phil, good afternoon, Good Jackie.
Speaker 32: Just calling to let you know. I've just been on East One getting towards Danny Long and just before Furniture Galy. In the middle of all this weather, You've got protesters on top of the bridge waiting their flags, screaming, hope I can go back to another country and help out over there instead of doing all the protesting here.
Speaker 2: What are they protesting about? Which? Which particular conflict?
Speaker 7: Three?
Speaker 23: Palestine?
Speaker 2: Okay Phil again, Okay, Phil, thank you. The drivetime TIBBIS thanks to Sheine Panel Service had an accident called shep for a replacement vehicle. Teas and Seas supply. Yes, it'd be very chilly out there today, wouldn't they And an off air drive time tip from Stephen. A truck has now broken down in the Burnley Tunnel. It is a very busy afternoon on our roads. From Transport Victoria. Chris Miller's on the line. Chris will start with the flooding. It's quite right spread around the city. I see it.
Speaker 11: Is, Jackie.
Speaker 20: And in fact we've actually had to close the Montague Street exit from the citybound lanes of the West Gate, so as you come past the ball team, most people jump off at Montague Street. There you can't get off because the end of the ramp, unfortunately is underwater. We've got crews on site. They're trying to mop it up, but it looks like it will take a while. But that means you need to jump off earlier. Maybe you could jump off at Todd Road or later, so that means getting off at King's Way or Power Street making way back. Also got flooding impacting parts of the Monash Freeway, so inbound prior to heabit and Road there is a big pool of water there. Transport Victoria Incident Responses on site to get a cover so people don't hit it at one hundred kilometers an hour. But obviously there are two of the major spots that are busy, but there's lots of standing water right across the state with this weather, and of course this weather should be a prompt for everybody to slow down, you know, just a reminder that it takes twice the amount of space to break. So when we talk about breaking, we talk about an emergency braking maneuver. It'll take you twice a distance of stop in this weather, so that means you need to leave twice the distance between you and the car in front. If everyone did that, we'll get home nice.
Speaker 2: And Chris, what about the flood runs south Melbourn because I saw a few cars once again in that area. Any of the bridge there near the market.
Speaker 20: Yep, Look, I haven't got cameras there behind York Street, but essentially it's the age old one. It always goes underwater there. Thankfully, Dudley Street looks okay at the moment, but with this amount of water coming down in this shorter space of time, it does overwhelm the drains. It's just we all just need to to I suppose, drive to the conditions, cope with it, and just rest assured that there's crews out right across they find them up it all up.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I think it's a king tired, isn't it today. That's part of the.
Speaker 20: Problem, I believe, so we of course doesn't help things either. And you know, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more fallen trees. We had a few yesterday, but the wet weather of course makes them even more vulnerable. So you know we did all to have out wits about us. Just drive to the conditions is the key message.
Speaker 2: I think good advice. Chris Miller is from Transport, Victoria. So where are you around the state? One, double, three, six, nine and three. Let us know have you got power? That's some reports of power out in the Ivanhoe area. If you are living over that way, let us know and we'll keep an eye on it throughout the afternoon. We're also keeping an eye on the situation overseas. A lot of Australians are still in Doha waiting to get out of the airport. Obviously all of those flights were canceled or delayed or even diverted yesterday. But overnight there's been a significant development as well in terms of the conflict between Israel and Iran. I'm joined on the line now by Professor Peter Lahey, who is the former Chief of the Australian Army and now professor at the University of Canberra. As we go to air the ceasefire between the two nations. It's being upheld, but there have been a number of developments throughout the afternoon, and leaked intelligence has now cast out on President Trump's claims that the nuclear facilities were obliterated. Okay, so where to from here, professor, Good.
Speaker 11: Afternoon, Good afternoon, tacking.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess, firstly, how do you see the situation playing out over the coming days and weeks from here?
Speaker 11: Well, I think at at least there's some stability there at the moment the fighting has stopped, where I'm not at all stay stopped. They're quite unpredictable both countries involved in this, with both Israel and Iran. But I think we should be grateful at the moment that the fighting is stopped that we have an opportunity for people who want to get out of both countries get out of the area, to get away. And well done to the Australian Defense Force and the broad Australian Air Force and others who have evacuated some people. Hopefully they'll be able to get down the civil air flights now and get out. But it's good that it's slowing down, the tempos down, people aren't being killed, and there is the possibility that some stability will come back to the place.
Speaker 2: And how hopeful are you of that, given, as you say, the unpredictable nature of both science.
Speaker 11: I think we have to be fairly concerned about how long peace will last. There's a history of nearly forty and fifty years of animosity between these two countries and other countries in the region, and obviously with Iran, there's also the thought that they've got proxies, and we know that Tamas and Hezballah and the Hooties have been very much influenced and supported by Iran, and maybe even in Iran there could be dissonant groups will be saying no, we have to keep the fight going, and that might have been that missile we saw, austray missile. It seems so. I think there's every opportunity that there will be breaks in the ceasefire, but let's hope there's a momentum towards being sensible about this and trying to work through so that people can move safely in the area.
Speaker 2: Did you think that the US's decision to get involved, I guess so quickly and in the way in which they went about it. What was your view on that?
Speaker 24: Is?
Speaker 2: Are you supportive of that?
Speaker 11: If you're talking about the bombing on the nuclear facilities? Is I support that that regime in Iran is a rogue regime, it's a theocracy, and the way that they approach things and the way that they've spoken over the last years and the destruction of Israel. They're support of these terror groups through the region, but their philosophy, or let's call it a theology, is very much akin to what we've seen from iss and al Qaeda. They might be different parts of the religion Shia and Sunni, but they're all influenced by some of the thinking that came out of Egypt, particularly in the universities in Cairo, which talk about the establishment of a caliphate, installment of Sharia law, and the fact that people who are not following Islam in its correct manner are at the state and for some of them it's their duty to kill them. Now, we just can't accept that, particularly when you think that if they have that view and they have a nuclear weapon, well that can't be allowed. And I think the Americans did the right thing in taking on the nuclear weapon. Now whether or not they've got at all, well, I think we've seen the indicators now that they're prepared to stop it. And this is one of the most important aspects of the United States foreign policy. Non proliferation, whether it's nuclear, whether it's weapons of mass destruction, gas and so on, but non proliferation, and the Americans have stood up for that.
Speaker 2: And if things were to escalate further all this conflict to drag on, would did you foresee Australia getting involved in any way?
Speaker 11: I hope not. I think we've got enough going on back in our part of the world here when all of the strategic and other assessments are telling us that China is increasing its aggressive nature. China may have plans against Taiwan as early as twenty and twenty seven. So I think we've given the current nature of where we are, who we are as a nation, who we are as a defense force. We need to be keeping our paler drive for the Indo Pacific region.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Professor. That's Professor Peter Lahey, the former chief of the Australian Army. He's now a professor at the University of Canberra. Are the Prime Minister is actually off to China for the second time in a matter of weeks. That was announced about about a month ago. Now, thank you so much, professor, And Gary, returning to your calls now on the weather, Gary where are you.
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 6: I was in Sinkilda where I drive through a hailstorm and only.
Speaker 7: To come out of the other end with a blue sky.
Speaker 20: It's Melbourne.
Speaker 2: It is the four seasons in one day, although we are getting the very wintery weather today. Gary. Thank you your drivetime tips are always welcome thanks to Temper A great night's sleep night after night. The difference is Temper keep the calls coming on the weather. And a little bit later in the show, I did get some in some vision overnight and you can check it out on my instable put up on the three w socials of it. And it's an issue that we've covered before, but it was so blatant that I just thought I might discuss it on the show today. And it's tailgating again on the Geelong Road. Involves a massive b double truck and this little driver tiny car is in the middle lane. And what really shocked me about that is it would be maybe a meter at best behind, like literally almost touching the bumper bar. Now that the vision clearly shows on the dash cam vision that I've been provided with, and that the car and the truck are in the middle lane on the Geelong Road, and what shocked me is the comments and the divisive nature of this discussion, where again truck drivers, they're messaging me saying, you know, the car shouldn't be in the middle of name, and it doesn't change the fact that someone's being tailgated, and all these people are messaging saying, oh, the behavior is still it is continuing this tailgating issue. It is an ongoing, significant problem and it doesn't seem like we're doing anything about it, particularly when we're talking about trucks, because the stopping distance of a truck, I think we learn it's a couple hundred meters to stop a truck even in dry weather. So what have you seen on the Geelong Road one double three six' nine three and your behavior and behavior on the roads in. General and also return to the issue of The VIRTUAL ed because all Again i've been told a number of ambulances are off the road this, afternoon so it looks like we're heading for another of those bad nights in our hospitals and just the entire system. Overloaded but we're going to speak to people who run The VIRTUAL ed. Shortly so if you've used the, service how was, it did you find it? Successful and would you use it. Again it is twenty one minutes past. Four where are? You are you out in the? Weather is it? FREEZING i just got a message to say that the beach boxes In brighton are half washing Away? Brighton but where are? You and are you taking care on the? Roads because we're also gonna have a chat in this hour about Tailgating i've got to send some shocking vision. Again and but the angry comments from people debating what the road rules actually are on a three lane. Highway you don't have to move to the far, left you can stay in the. Middle, John, Hello, hey we help Good now what do you THINK i?
Speaker 26: Reckon everybody needs to keep with us overtaking and that all get rid of a half. Issue and the other issue is Trust that way in the right lanes a trickle shit? Too you truck on it right When i'll go? Fast everybody and might be a.
Speaker 2: Problem you want them back in the right? Lane do?
Speaker 18: You?
Speaker 2: Yep? Okay is that the answer the? Trucks should trucks be allowed back in the right? Lane one double three six nine? Three and on the virtual ed we spent a lot of time talking about it. Yesterday, aaron have you have you been.
Speaker 29: There, yes, though BUT i have a system Where i've had a herding of operation. BEFORE i was on the waiting list AND i, thought, no no waiting too. Long i'll go straight to d complained about pain and all was done the next. Day same WITH i just had mcgallbladder taken, out same. THING i was on the waiting. List it's going to take a couple of. YEARS i went straight to THE ed, again complained about, pain and it was out the next.
Speaker 2: Day, AARON i think this is part of the problem of a system that's over burdened. Too but as part of this conversation that we've been, having it was a horror night On monday for paramedics and for hospital, staff so there were up to twenty eight crews off the road because of staff. Shortages we brought you that news late on The monday. Afternoon more than one hunt ambulances ended up being ramped outside overrun hospitals and a lot of people rang in and they said it's because people go to the emergency ward when they. Shouldn't BUT i also think a lot of it comes down to the fact that people don't actually know about the other services that are. Available so some people, said you've got to use The VIRTUAL. ED i have used. THIS i used it last week for someone in my family who HAD covid and it worked really. Well Doctor Susie miller is the acting director of The Victorian Virtual Emergency. Department, hi Doctor, Susie, hello, now tell me about how people access VIRTUAL ed BECAUSE i, think, well there has been a bit of publicity around. It when you're, unwell there's an inclination in the middle of the night for people just to go to the.
Speaker 33: Hospital, absolutely it's very easy to. Access just head to any web browser and type IN vved dot org DOT. Au you'll then see a series of. Tiles you'll want to click the one that says are you sick, andwell follow the instructions and you'll be put white into a virtual leading room to be seen our emergency.
Speaker 2: Nurse and once you say the, nurse what?
Speaker 33: Happens, well the nurse is there to make sure you're safe for our. Service we are our service that is all virtual and we'll see non line threatening. Emergencies but if the nurse thinks that you're, very very sick and need a physical emergency, department she will call an ambulance for, you or perhaps even sends you to THE. Ed if the nurse thinks that you're appropriate for our, service you'll then head to see our virtual emergency. Doctor and then there are sometimes when the nurse triages you to be safe at home and can give you some education or help you make an appointment with YOUR.
Speaker 2: GP a question from one of our call is Doctor Susie. Jiff he, asked can you give prescriptions?
Speaker 33: Out, absolutely and we can send them via email OR sms to your.
Speaker 2: Phone, Okay and is there been an influx of people logging on like a you're very.
Speaker 33: Busy we are, busy but we're always happy to see more because our entire goal here is to keep that physical emergency department from not being overrun so that it can take care of the people who really need. It at the, time we are currently seeing eight hundred to one thousand patients a day and keeping eighty four percent of them out of the PHYSICAL.
Speaker 2: Ed that's very, good isn't.
Speaker 11: It?
Speaker 2: So how can people get in contact with you just on the? Internet that's basically how it. Works you can't call up or they will the nurse call the person if they're older and not good at using tech like.
Speaker 33: That, Yeah, unfortunately right now there is no call. Up you do have to come through the, internet but perhaps there's a neighbor or family member that could help you get. On but one thing that can be very helpful is we have a pre registration, Process so if you head to vveed dot org dot, au you can click to pre register and do that when you're feeling well and fill out the form in your own, time not when you're very. Stressed and then when you do need THE, vved you can have an account and come in almost like online, shopping and it makes the process much quicker and.
Speaker 2: Easier and what is the right time on THE ed? When is it obviously busier at different times of the.
Speaker 33: Day of, course it is busy at different times of the day and sometimes it's hard to, predict but we tend to be much busier in the evenings and. Overnight the wait time. Varies sometimes you'll be seen in five, minutes sometimes it can be up to an. Hour but if it is a longer, wait we will let you know and communicate to you the wait times as best we.
Speaker 2: Can another call That alexander has asked if you will still need to queue up at the REAL ed if you were told to go in by VIRTUAL.
Speaker 33: Ad, WELL i can't promise you that as you come to THE vvd that we can make the process, faster but we can make it. Smoother and WHAT i mean by that is we will have an emergency doctor see you and write a discharge summary that we send via fax or can even send to you to bring to the emergency, department and we can call the emergency department doctor that's in the PHYSICAL ed and, say, look can you keep a heads up we're sending this person. In so it's we have a, good good way of transferring the. Information but sometimes you do just have to wait in the physical ed and it's.
Speaker 2: Free you just need Your medica.
Speaker 33: Card you don't even need A medica. Card it is free to anybody physically present In victoria and in the border towns that are serviced By Victorian Health.
Speaker 3: System.
Speaker 2: Good have you got any amazing stories of people that you've managed to trade or any interesting things that have happened that you can tell us.
Speaker 33: About oh my, gosh there are too. Many but here's the WAY i think about. It the ones that warm my heart are you, know the two year old wakes up in the middle of the night with a croopy cough and the parents look at each other and, say which one of you is going to miss the night of sleep to take your daughter to the Physical emergency department and wait to be seen and be, seen and.
Speaker 14: There goes the whole.
Speaker 33: Night and, instead if you call, us we actually have emergency physicians that can see, you can make sure your daughter is, safe can actually prescribe medicine to treat this if it is. Croup and we now have an observation ward that's all virtual that we can put you into to check up on you throughout the next day or two to make sure your child's doing. Well and, look everyone gets to stay at home and hopefully get a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Sleep it's a very good. Idea thanks Doctor. Susie that's Doctor Susie, miller who is the acting director of The Victorian Virtual Emergency. Department LIKE i, SAID i used. It it was really. Good it really worked, well AND i got a script for the person that needed it and she was able to go off and sort that out and it worked. Well Chris, Hallo, hi.
Speaker 34: You're looking in relation to the v V. D i think the doctors summed it up really. Well we've used, it and it does what it's designed to do in keeping people out of the emergencies of type physical emergency. DEPARTMENT i, mean we had a family member with a severe stomach. Issue it would have made it really hard for them to go and wait in the megicancy department's payment in knew v V ed was new at that, time and we used it with an incredible amount of. Success SO i, think you, know it's more about an education campaign about the vv everything. Else and you, know EVERYONE i tell about it it doesn't know about.
Speaker 2: It, yes that's WHY i thought we'd do it on the.
Speaker 35: Show it's just such a grouse. Invention you know that the software is something that you would use on a mining site for a person that's, sick but it works really well in this.
Speaker 2: Context, Yeah, chris thank. YOU i appreciate. That AND i think it does come down to. Information and they do have An instagram page and they do have a obviously the website that you go through when you've got to go through the. Process BUT i think to get a nurse to see my family member, RECENTLY i think it took maybe ten, minutes and it was it was super. Easy it's it wasn't difficult to navigate at, all even for people who may not be that tech savvy tech Savy Tony, tadier this is the VIRTUAL.
Speaker 16: Ed if you want to see.
Speaker 2: A, doctor.
Speaker 16: Mejie unfortunately.
Speaker 2: You just, Well, tony if you're reading the, news you could do. This it's literally like you go on you put the website address in and it's big blue buttons and you just click on each. One do you need to see a? Nurse what is your? Sickness and then they put you in a waiting room and then someone you speak to.
Speaker 16: Someone watch the.
Speaker 2: Website it's The Victorian Virtual Emergency department VV.
Speaker 16: Ed just google. It i'm doing this while we're.
Speaker 2: Talking about the show, now so that if you get sick in the middle of the night and you don't want to have to go and wait in the immerge your, department you can go. There it's. Good it's a good government. Thing we spent a lot of time bagging. Them it's a good.
Speaker 16: Service, yeah, NO i, agree it's it is a good. Thing the only WORRY i would have is that if you're using this and you really need to go and see a, doctor.
Speaker 2: So You so what happened with my family member was they did need to see a. Doctor so what happened was they spoke to the nurse and then the doctor rang back and then gave them the script and organized all that for.
Speaker 16: Them how long did you, Wait tertiary speak.
Speaker 18: To a human.
Speaker 2: BEING i think they waited about thirty minutes on A, sunday AND i got through and made the application for them in ten.
Speaker 16: Minutes yeah that's a good. Thing, ye, yeah, NO i like. IT i like. It i'm happy to say WHEN i like.
Speaker 2: Things, jackie, well we, are we. Do we just don't like.
Speaker 16: Much i'm. Positive see people say you're always. NEEDING i know you're.
Speaker 2: Not you're. Not, hey CAN i just quickly before you do the, year show you a little video? Someone so this is the brighton beach boxes that are literally about to be washed away because it's a king tied at the, moment flooding. Everywhere, yeah you send your news cruise.
Speaker 16: DOWN i wonder how often that. Happens it's a king. Time, yeah they're very, expensive those. THINGS i wouldn't want to be washed.
Speaker 2: Up some of those are million bucks on.
Speaker 16: Almost jackie coming up in the news at five, o'clock a seventeen year old youth has been found guilty of murdering Doctor Ash, gordon A doncaster In january last. Year the doctor was stabbed six times following a home. Invasion the youth cannot be named because of his. Age he showed little emotion as the guilty verdict was. Delivered the state government's claiming no additional taxpayer money will be spent on The Westgate. Tunnel the cost of the project is blown out by one point five billion. Dollars the tunnel is already three years late and will cost still almost double the initial price. TAG Us President Donald trump says reports he runs nuclear sites have not been totally. DESTROYED a wrong leaked intelligence assessment suggests the stri may only have set E rhyme's nuclear program back by a matter of. Months today's heavy rain is continuing to cause flooding issues Around melbourne and The Western bulldogs are Hopeful Adam trelaw can still play a role for the. Side later this year to a law who comes out of contracted seasons and has been sidelined for at least six weeks with a calf. Injury details at. Five thank You.
Speaker 2: Tony later in the, show we're going to be talking about careers because there's an article today and some research out that says that young people they watched Like Gray's anatomy And law And, order and then they want to become a, lawyer but they don't actually want to go to union and do the. Work so why did you want to become a?
Speaker 16: Newsreader, WELL i didn't actually want to become a. NEWSREADER i wanted to be a. JOURNALIST i just ended.
Speaker 2: Up being because of Your dulcete.
Speaker 16: Newsreader just sort of stuck doing. That BUT i GUESS i loved. RADIO i grew up on a banana plantation and the radio was like the window to the. World. Yeah AND i used to listen to the trainee and the cricket From, england AND i was just fascinating by the fact THAT i could listen to something on the other side of the world on this little speaker and that just captivated. Me and then The Salvation army opened a little radio station In Coffs. Harbor, yeah AND i sat in that studio and did an audition AND i knew. THEN i, thought, yeah that's WHAT i want to. Do and forty something years, later HERE i am well.
Speaker 2: Done good story.
Speaker 16: Totally IF i made the right, DECISION i think.
Speaker 2: You, DID i think you? Did, okay where? Did what did you want to do when you were growing? Up and were you inspired BY tv? Shows apparently this study shows that Like laura And order graiz, anatomy kids want to be doctors and lawyers and then they get to union and they go it's a bit too much. Work and just to, repeat we're getting lots of. Calls The virtual ed website is www dot vv ed dot org dot. Au you can just wike it Into google will come up so vv ed dot org dot. Au time tips are always. Welcome thanks to temper a great night sleep night after. Night the difference is. Temper So i'll go back to on The VIRTUAL. Ed if you've used, it let us know what your experience. Was and the wild weather out and about where are you The brighton beach. Boxes i've never seen the. Water it's literally at the bottom of, them lapping up on the steps of all of the. Boxes so where are, you what's the weather like where you? Are and road behavior tailgating on The Geelong. ROAD i feel like we all need to again have a lesson in what the road rules. Are you can't tailgate people no matter where someone's car is have you witnessed? This let us know it is twenty one minutes too. Five what's the weather like where you? Are plenty of hail around two and truck Is Michael, hello Oh.
Speaker 36: Jackie i'm a national driver trainer for one of the lads transfer, company And i'll just let you know how serious we take these types of events in scenarios and say. Forth so, look COMPANY i work for has cameras facing, inwards facing, outwards and they're actually NOW ai cameras that scan the cars in front and they meagure the. Distance they keep an eye on the, drivers you know, eyes they're taking their eyes off the road and so. Forth and every time a driver tailgates another vehicle in front of THE ai camera picks it up and sends an email to the compliance seem when we get that in a matter of in a matter of.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 36: Yeah but, look there's a lot of transfer companies that do take it really seriously and the way their drivers behave and, look unfortunately there are road trust drivers out there that you put other people at risk and drive in a mant of it not. Safe so, look you know you get your good man and everywhere you.
Speaker 2: Do CAN i ask you a, question then you're obviously well across, it AND i find that. Fascinating i'd love to find some more details out about THE ai. Cameras but CAN i ask you about truckies because we've covered this, Before, michael and what we learned was that a lot of them for not necessarily good, operators but they have Like WhatsApp groups And facebook groups and they swap shifts and sometimes that last TIME i did, it the guy wasn't even licensed to drive In, australia let alone drive a. Truck and they use sort of migrant labor to do a lot of these long haul drives and the company doesn't even know that's what's.
Speaker 36: Happening, Okay look there ARE i, mean LOOK i can't talk for every, company but our company only highest people with bridging visas that actually are going through that process that they're applying, to you, know that live In. Australia they're applying, to you, know applying for jobs pernally. Here so we only use. That but, look there are, exemptions there are exemptions in place that you can actually drive on an international, License.
Speaker 2: But do you think that when you're driving? It, Yeah and that's WHAT i want to talk about if you're driving A b, double should you be driving In australia on an international? License should you not have a license In.
Speaker 36: Australia, Well australia has The australia has the biggest and longest vehicles in the. WORLD i mean you'll see, Now, jackie that there are a lot of road, trains you, know lot of trailers three trailers three lucky they call bee triples and road drive around The Monash EastLink and there are all around the west Of, suburbs east and southeast The. Suburbs, now so, YEAH i mean you put somebody in experience behind that wheeled back, combination you're going to be asking for.
Speaker 2: Trouble, Absolutely, Michael i'd love to chat to you. Further we'll get your details And i'll put you back To catherine and next time we talk about. THIS ai cameras on. Trucks have you heard about that if you're a truckie and it sends it to data. Back but my issue last time was the fact that we learned that a lot of these truck drivers are on international, licenses and in fact some of them are not even licensed to drive In, australia and they basically pick up ships shifts randomly and As michael, says we have the biggest trucks in the. World it's just a disaster waiting to. Happen, michael thank. You And emma is on the line. Now she's a drivetime. Tip she is In doha and has been THERE i think for quite some time waiting to get. Home. Emma good afternoon to. You Hi, jackie how are you? Well i'm Sure i'm in a better position than. You so how long have you been? Waiting and how are the?
Speaker 37: Kids so we arrived In doha. Yesterday i'm a bit confused with and time it is right, now but yesterday at five am local time and we are still, here so it's now nine thirty local.
Speaker 16: Time so the kids are doing.
Speaker 37: Well they have been absolute. Champions but, yeah we're getting very over.
Speaker 2: It and have you got any indication as to win you because some flights have started coming back To, australia what about?
Speaker 37: Yours, Yeah so we're actually on a flight To. Greece so we were flying Into doehart to then transit To. Athens so we're currently on a flight that's supposed to leave at eleven thirty this, morning but it's already been, delayed and this is this happened to us multiple times, yesterday so we've got everything, crossed but we're you, know we're just hoping that this one will.
Speaker 2: Leave is there enough food and drink for everyone at the.
Speaker 37: Airport so yesterday when all the planes were arriving because everyone was, diverted you, know mid flight coming Into doha on that Over monday, night and so everyone kind of arrived at the same, time and we were all stuck in a transit area and there was thousands of, people so there was no, Food there was no access to, food there was no access to. Water we couldn't leave the space without a boarding, pass but everybody had all their flights had been, canceled so we all had to line up to get new boarding. Passes so that, yeah we weren't allowed to get into the actual airport where there was food and drink until we had that new boarding. Pass so it, was, yeah it was tricky last. Night most of the restaurants were starting to run out of food and the airlines were starting to hand out food and. Water but it was, yeah it Was it was quite serene.
Speaker 2: And the kids just sleeping on the. Floor, yeah so AS i, said they've been absolute.
Speaker 37: CHAMPIONS i think they're on they think they're on a little bit of an, adventure but they.
Speaker 2: Were they were asleep on the floor last.
Speaker 37: Night and we were actually, lucky a Few australians we all banded together and kind of were lucky enough to get access to a hotel room because we all had small. Children so we, yeah we Were we ended up in a in a hotel room at one am last, night so we've had about four hours sleep and the kids have been able to have a sleep on a.
Speaker 2: Bed which is.
Speaker 37: Good but, yeah they have been. Champions but there's people sleeping. Everywhere you, know there's people on the, floor there's people in, chairs there's there's just people everywhere because the communication has been shocking.
Speaker 2: Just from the airline itself is A, katar.
Speaker 37: Yeah, qatar so there's no other airlines in here at the, moment so Only qatar. Flights and, yeah when we arrived yesterday at five, am no one had any idea what was going, on so they couldn't tell us what was, happening how long the flights it was going to take for flights to come back on. It it was quite, Chaotic so, yeah it seems a lot. MORE i don't know, normal if that's the word. Today but we're actually in the airport, now so we're not in the kind of in the lines trying to get new boarding, passes which is where the chaos.
Speaker 2: Is and so hopefully you'll be on your way later, Tonight. Emma thank. You So emma is In doha waiting further a direction as their flight is one of the many that was diverted as a result of the attack on THE us basin. Quitar so get the calls coming and. Emails drive at threew dot com dot. Au the weather is definitely causing having and getting lots of videos sent, Through so drop us a, line drive at three aw dot com Dot. Au and just on tailgating and, truckies do we need to have a look at this again when we're talking about the fact that a lot of people can drive these trucks on international. LICENSES i just think when we're talking about road trains LIKE b, TRIPLES b, doubles are you comfortable with someone who hasn't actually got their license here and knows our road. Rules it is ten minutes two, Five vicki's on the line with the drive time tip HY Vicki.
Speaker 38: Hi, look going down Into Torquie Surf Coast highway on the corner Of Blackgate, road there's a really pretty big. Accident it's only just, happened and it's better to come Down Horseshoe Ben road to avoid all that because the highway it's going to be so.
Speaker 2: Blocked thank. You we'll check in with The Transport department and find out how bad that one. Is The Surf Coast, Highway Blackgate road and traffic building towards Torque the drive time tipp is Thanks Machine Panel service had an Accident calchene for a REPLACEMENT veeh Called t's AND C. Supply i've been talking throughout the show today about what inspired you to take up your career because there's some new data out that shows that kids are watching Nowadays Gray's anatomy And law And order and shows like, that and then they Think i'm going to go be a, doctor but they don't realize you actually need to go TO uni for. That, Robert, Hello, Hi robert, Again robert's dropped. Out he was going to say the thing that inspired him in his career was the movie Called Wall. Street it's very, Good. Robert thank. You and on the line now Is jade with another drive time.
Speaker 22: Tip Hi, Jade Hi, jackie how are you going good?
Speaker 2: NOW i believe you've called in about a parking. Fine can you describe what? Happened?
Speaker 22: Sure SO i was parked in my mum's, driveway so she's actually was actually selling her house at the. Time SO i was helping her loading up the car to take some things to The. Selbows and it was A sunday at eleven thirty And i've been fined for parking over the footpath by The Mornington Peninsula. Shire it's a. Court there's two extra houses at the end are serviced by this. Footpath it's you can see from the.
Speaker 39: Pictures it's easy to walk.
Speaker 22: Around and so Then i've appealed to them explaining the circumstances and they've denied my appeal and they've taken me to the magistrate's court In. Dromana but they didn't actually serve my. Notice they didn't serve my notice to the right. Place even Though i've got a postal address and a residential. Address we don't receive mail at our residential address In summers Because summers doesn't have.
Speaker 2: Postboxes to go to the post office down.
Speaker 22: Here, yeah you've got to go, Too so they've served it to the post office and So i've actually missed my court. Date so Now i've been figned to the infringement.
Speaker 2: Feet and CAN i just describe how you parked? Across, yes the boot of the car or the back wheel of the car is hanging out over the. Footpath but it's your mum's. Property she's. Elderly you're helping her. Move LIKE i just why a council offices cruising down a court in the middle Of mornington, ANYWAY.
Speaker 22: I have no, idea but you can see they've in the picture that they've sent, me they've actually stopped their car in the middle.
Speaker 33: Of the road to part to find me for.
Speaker 2: Parking, yes because you, Know, jade all, COUNCILS i know this for a, fact BECAUSE i did this on the show last. Year all councils can park wherever the hell they. Like they have no, Rules they are not subject to. Restrictions they can dumb their car in the middle of the road and find, you or park it in a no standing or disabled. Zone they are not subject to their own.
Speaker 22: Restrictions, yeah it's just really disappointing given the.
Speaker 39: CIRCUMSTANCES i, thought this is just a clear.
Speaker 2: Case a what a wasted revenue?
Speaker 22: Raising and, yeah it's just, so it's just so, ridiculous AND i thought it needs to be out there in case it's happening to other, people because they shouldn't be allowed to do.
Speaker 2: This, no and what's the? Fine so it's one hundred and.
Speaker 22: Nineteen dollars, fine and then Now i've gotten a ninety three dollars in court.
Speaker 30: Costs and my husband.
Speaker 22: Said to me you have to pay it because he's actually a police. Officer and he, said you'll have a sheriff.
Speaker 33: Warrant out the year and then.
Speaker 22: You're able to update your Red, joe AND i, thought oh my, god this is just. Insane.
Speaker 2: Jade let me give you some to borderly to lessen the, Blow Buttery, Shade i'll put you back to. Live has this happened to? You have you also been caught by the council parking over a footpath and then taken to court like, her caite's just on the. Footpath it's. Ridiculous as we come up to five, O'clock peter with a drive time tip on the surf, Coast.
Speaker 27: Hypeter, yes look they've shut the highway from The talkie exit to The talki airport Into talkie The surfcoast highways and it looks like a very very serious accident.
Speaker 2: AND i wouldn't be, Surprised, peter thank you for. That, okay after, five we're going to take a look at a council who is now using rate payers money to fund and a private. Security what do you think one double three six nine three and your worst examples of? Tailgating and should those who drive those massive b doubles be allowed to be on an international? License Time.
Speaker 40: Mother now on three A w AND a Cross Victoria drive With Jackie.
Speaker 2: Fowlgates it is seven minutes past. Five thanks for your company on. Drive EARLIER i spoke To jade who told me that The Monitor council had fined her for just And i've seen the. Photo, yes she's on the. Footpath she's in her mother's. Driveway her mother is, older she was helping her move and the wheels are slightly on the footpath and they took her a. Court Liz, Hihy, JACKIE i had a similar thing happen at my mom's.
Speaker 41: Place i've taken her to the doctor and pulled up in her driveway and walked her. Inside the car was still, running and came back out and sure enough got a. FINE i was still.
Speaker 2: RUNNING i was still.
Speaker 41: Running you can actually see me in the photos getting back into the. Car so, yeah pretty. Unbelievable they're out to raise their, revenue that's.
Speaker 32: Sure.
Speaker 2: ABSOLUTELY i don't know how common this is just in. Councils your mum's, elderly you're helping a move were you're taking her to the? Doctor can you give us a bit of a? Spell And tracy on The Geelong, Road.
Speaker 42: Hello, yes Hi, jackie how are you going?
Speaker 11: Good?
Speaker 42: LOOK i drove up To melbourne and back. Today had actually planned to take the train because of the, weather AND i knew the driving conditions would be, terrible but, then you, know hearing about the issues with the train line that little, RIVER i, decided all, Right i'm just going.
Speaker 20: To have to.
Speaker 42: Drive AND i was actually shocked at the number of people that still drive like.
Speaker 2: They would in dry.
Speaker 42: Conditions they say speed and you, know there was puddles on the side of the. Road it was pelding down the whole way, basically and with regard to what you're saying about the. Trucks as we, know there's a lot of trucks that you use The Gelong.
Speaker 11: Road.
Speaker 42: AND i remember thinking to, MYSELF i can't believe how fast these trucks are. Driving and they're literally pushing. People you can tell they're, like you, know driving way too close to smaller cars in front of, them trying to get them to go fast or move over because they know they can't go into the the right. Lane so, YEAH i remember thinking the very thing what you were, saying that they just kind, of you, know.
Speaker 25: Drive too close.
Speaker 42: To people in front of, them and you, know with the stopping distance in the, weather you, know it's it's just a rest people. Disaster if someone has to put the brakes on or people in the small vehicles that are going to, suffer that's. It so, YEAH i just can't believe that people, generally not just tracks but in general don't slow down at all when the weather is so. TERRIBLE i basically just jumped in the left lane and stayed, there and you, KNOW i was just on ninety ninety five the whole.
Speaker 2: Way they sort of, Bully they bully, you don't They, Tracy thank. You there's this. MOVIE i think it's Called jewel over seeing it years. AGO i think it was the first, movie or certainly one of the first movies That Steven spielberg ever. Did and it's like a trucky that trust trust to bump someone off by terrorizing them on the. Road it's quite, scary, actually AND i did mention this at the top of show AND i wanted to come back to it in this. Hour so last night there was this really fiery council meeting at The city Of wyndham and what was the result of it was that they voted for THE us council, money three hundred and seventy thousand dollars of it to fund a private security for for the suburb Of, Truga. Nina so a couple of issues with. This if you want to hire private, SECURITY i actually got offered to that in our last house In hampton Over. Christmas they actually pulled together and everyone paid for it on the. STREET i didn't do, it but other people in surrounding streets. Did they had the Mon John vans and they came around AND i think they did this In Albert park Or Port melbourne as. Well that's fine if you want to pay for that privately and that makes you feel better and sleep at, night like you shouldn't have. To it should be that we have enough resources that we don't have an issue with crime or and the police will. Come but if you want to pay for. THAT i don't have a problem with. THAT i have a problem with a council doing that and only running it in one suburb when the whole council has to pay for, it and also that's rate. Payers and also on, that like what happens if this private security force hired by the council, approaches say an offender or a youth. Offender are they going to have a gun on? Them are they going to have a weapon on? Them are they a quasi police? Force what rules are around? That and what are they going to do if they?
Speaker 16: DO a?
Speaker 2: Coach someone one double three six nine three on the line now Is. Rebecca she's a resident Of Wyndham City. Council good, Afternoon, Rebecca.
Speaker 43: Good, Afternoon.
Speaker 30: Jackie thanks for Teking.
Speaker 2: Michael that's. Okay so were you at the council meeting last night or have you heard about?
Speaker 43: IT i, NO i was tuning in online on their live stream by their website.
Speaker 2: So what was going on at the, meeting because WHAT i understand is that most people who were approached to vote on this voted.
Speaker 32: No that's.
Speaker 43: Correct so last night was the decision on a budget that was previously discussed where Great payers money would be spent throughout the, municipality and the security patrols was a vote of contention for a lot of residents as well as. COUNSELORS a vote was made last night where six councilors have voted in favor of the security, patrols the private security patrols with residents great payers, money and five councilors voted against.
Speaker 2: Them so very.
Speaker 43: Close, yes it was. Definitely it was definitely almost a hung drury and there was a lot of strong opinions at the council last. Night and this funding has caused a huge division in the. Community there's a lot of commentary on social, media even people in shopping, centers at school pickups and things like. That the residents are not. HAPPY i don't see myself as a resident of truggling in. IT i would be benefiting from this and it's not the right way to go about rate payers. MONEY i believe this is a private security company cannot enforce any.
Speaker 30: Rules they're no different to.
Speaker 43: A neighborhood watch or A cctv camera that's. Monitored AND i just think the council is making a mockery of rate payers money thinking that this is acceptable and they're able to make these kind of decisions on a.
Speaker 2: WHIM i agree with, that AND i know it's a, trial but three hundred and seventy dollars for a local, council that's a lot of. Money, yeah three hundred and seventy, three three seventy, thousand thank. You, yes it's an awful lot of money.
Speaker 43: In the big scheme of. Things as a, council they were discussing lots of decisions involving millions of. Dollars it's very concerning that these counselors think this is appropriate and this is a small amount of money in theory of what they actually have control, of decision making wise for the rest of the.
Speaker 2: Community, rebecca thank, you so won double three six ninety. Three council private? Security is that not the job Of Victoria? Police is that not a state government. Responsibility i'll come back to calls in just a, tick BUT i need to get To Chris miller now on The Surf Coast highway and Also Brunswick Hai. Cruz Gooday.
Speaker 11: Jackie.
Speaker 20: Yeah, Look, unfortunately a nasti sounding collision down on the way to Talk. Key that's closed the southbound lanes of The Surf Coast highway At Blackgate. Road so essentially police are directing traffic Down Blackgate road across To Anglesey. Road so if you haven't hit The Surf Coast highway, yet go For Anglesy road. Instead that will get you down To talkey a whole lot. Quicker obviously in it. Too we're just slow down and drive with the conditions in this weather and the. Dramas we're hearing of some sort of issue with the structure that's going to close all of the outbound lanes Of Sydney road In. Brunswick so just north Of Brunswick road at the intersection Of Union, street there fire cruiser on. Site it's already pretty busy in the, area so.
Speaker 2: It's it a bit of a roof or something or.
Speaker 20: LOOK i don't, Know we've got limited. Detail ALL i can see is THE frv rescue vehicles are on. Site it's reported On Dick emergency as some sort of structure. Issue so as to what's going, on not entirely, sure BUT i can tell you the traffic's, bad so Avoid Sydney. Road go For Lygon. Street Even Nicholson street will do the job for. You but just Avoid Sidney road if you.
Speaker 2: Can great, Tip. Chris thank You Chris miller From Transport. Vick if you're on the, road so let us know what it's like where you. Are some vision of El tona and the beach there. Flooding, Sarah, Hello oh Hi.
Speaker 44: Jackie unfortunately the sound effects have just. Finished i'm in Downtown ormond and we have had the most heaviest hail that you could. Imagine fairly the girl who answered the phone it was just so. Heavy And i'm training over the road.
Speaker 39: At the park tomorrow at six, am So i'm dreading what that's going to feel.
Speaker 2: Like oh, Yeah, sarah thank. You the drive time tip is thanks To Sheine Paddle service had an accident Called sheen for a replacement. Vehicle teas And seas apply lots of. Hail had to look on the radar going Through Brighton ormond area, now so wherever you, are let us know what the weather is like this afternoon and just on counsel private. Security is this the job of the local? Council, Sean, hello.
Speaker 7: Yeah, ohjcki this Is i'm actually a resident In wyndham and it's quite disgusting to be, honest like we're currently going through quite the uncomfortable period with you crime out this, way and for them to be kind of budgeting such a large money for a small part WHEN i have members of my family who are too scared to go to the local plan due to really current crime, rate and they're investing in a smaller area Of windham that is also kind of if we were to look at the crime, RATES i am very sure that that would be one of the lowest in the.
Speaker 2: Area So, sean tell me where the. Difference so we've Got Tragga, nina which is where the trial is going to take. Place whereabouts to you and how far away are?
Speaker 7: You, yeah So i'm more central warbye and kind Of i'm talking about you, know we've got the massive plaza In werriby that is also Bordering Office. Crossing but we've also had out In Manda lakes which is again another smaller.
Speaker 11: Kind of shopping.
Speaker 7: Center, again same kind of. Issue it's just. Disgusting i've lived in whereby now nearly fifteen, years and this council continues to cry for it continues to say it can't do things in the area because you know that's got no, money and yet it's going to go to waste money on some of the small. AREA i.
Speaker 2: AGREE i also don't think it's the job of a council to provide private, Security. Sean, well to be.
Speaker 7: Honest with, You, JACKIE i think the police are pretty, strapped to be. Honest it's becoming quite scarier this. Way and we used to we used to laugh and joke about it that wherever it wasn't exactly you, know the best place to, live but it's just getting.
Speaker 11: Scary.
Speaker 2: Sean let's stay in. Touch i'd love to keep your details the next. Time we might look into it. Tomorrow in terms of like the legallet, LIKE i don't know what, councils what their remit is on hiring private security to only use be paid for for the whole city Of. Windham the rappayers put the money towards but the council only does it in one. Area and As sean, said if there's a crime problem right across the suburb spoken about issues in the west. Before why to only one Little why does only one little area get get the? Boost, Michelle, Hello, yeah Hi.
Speaker 45: JACKIE i just wanted to add to the commentary From, sean but from a perspective IF i. COULD i actually brought my elderly parents down From Country victoria and took them Down Wotton, street the main part Of, weerriby the little high street Of. Weerriby the paving footpath is that. UNEVEN i had to warn them nearly every step just watch your, step just watch your. Step the pavement is super. Uneasy yet we're wasting three hundred and fifty k for one tiny pocket when we've got issues not just In Whattton, street but all across our electric, Area Wyndham Point, cook you, know Were Aby, South we've Got, Whereby we've got you, Know windom. Everything so some think they need to take a good hard look of themselves and just have a look at what they're supposed to be doing and not get too far in the, detail Right.
Speaker 2: MICHELLE i? Agree, Yeah, michelle thank. You so, yeah what else could it we spend on In Werriby And michelle's, saying let's just do the. Base it's actually a microcosm of the whole, state isn't. It just get the basics right, First so private, security council, funded ratepayer funded three hundred and seventy thousand dollars trial for a couple of streets In Traugga. Niner so are you okay with? That if you live in The werribee Windham vale, area let us, know or indeed anywhere around the. State is it the job of council and keep the calls coming on? Tailgating just before the, break at twenty three minutes past, FIVE i spoke To Chris miller from The department Of transport About Sydney. Road meredith's on the line of the drive time Tip, meredith you're.
Speaker 8: There oh, YEAH i Am, Jacob and what's it. Like the traffic wasn't too bad WHEN i went, through but there are two police cars and the fire heavy rescue vehicle blocking off the entrance to a side street and there were a bunch of firemen standing around in the middle of the road in them ly. Street i'm, SORRY i don't know the name of, it but it looks like whatever is happening is happening down that side. Street rod Than Sydney road THAT i can imagine it will get pretty.
Speaker 2: Busy, Absolutely, meredith thank You you're drive time tip is always. Welcome thanks To TEMPER a great night sleep night after. Night the difference Is. Temper what do you think about council? SECURITY i just don't know if this passes the pub. Test this thing In Wyinden, vale three hundred and seventy thousand dollars passed last night at a really fiery council. Meeting when the council went out for public consultations on whether they should hire private. Security the majority of people said. No but then it's still got passed and now they're paying for, it to the tune of you, know three hundred and seventy thousand dollars and it's only one, suburb so everyone else misses. Out, Heather hello Hight.
Speaker 46: Jackie i've been a resident of where It be for fifty years this. Year have always been very happy with the. Council this this decision by the council last night has really rocked my. WORLD i always thought councils were to represent the local rate. Payers in this, instance they put out a the budget three months ago people for their opinions four thousand people In weerriby actually took the time out to express their opinion against this. Move it's only, representing as you, said a very small part Of. Windham when we moved in it was ten thousand. People we've now grown in fifty years to almost half a. Million it is not covering anywhere near where it should. Be it's a True demina currently is number four on the crime, rate you, know top list of. Crime we're out in Western. Werriby whereas the young man said, Before Manu lakes has an awful amount of. Crime it's not. That if it was going to be put, anywhere that's the area it should be put, in not adding Through guanina as it's done, before but has very little crime rate compared to what the other younger. Said you, know it's just not good.
Speaker 47: Enough they're not.
Speaker 46: Representing their people. Anymore it's their. Concern if they want, that they can pay for, it like the people In.
Speaker 2: Brighton, Yeah, HEATHER i agree. COMPLETELY i think you've summed up the. Situation. Well tomorrow we might take a further. Look so to drop us an email, anytime drive it through at w dot com dot au on private. Security people still doing this and paying for it Around. Melbourne it's. Expensive BUT i do not think it is the role of the council to do this because this is just the first council that's doing it In, Traugga Nina, Well. Windenba what about everyone else around the. State so we're going to have other. Councils now that Says i'm going to whack one or two million dollars into private security because the police can't get there in. Time it seems like we're Treating we're going about it. Backwards it's like the chicken in the, egg, right shouldn't we look at the crime itself before we start looking at how to deal with it from a private security force type of, view it's like a private. Police what do you? Think one double three six ninety Three and just on tailgating as. WELL i got some vision sent to me over the Week. Monday it was on my. Socials it's up now and truck on The Geelong road and it happens way too. Often it is incredibly dangerous and it can be life. Threatening Now kylie sent us in that. Vision, kylie good, Afternoon.
Speaker 12: Hello, jackie how are you?
Speaker 18: Good?
Speaker 2: Now what shocks me about this is the amount of people that ring up and justify what's going, On, kylie you witnessed it was the car driver doing anything.
Speaker 12: Wrong the car driver was doing absolutely nothing. Wrong to give you some, context the traffic was relatively. HEAVY i was in the fast, lane the right hand, lane doing the speed, limit so, yes the car was doing under the one hundred kilometers an. Hour, however it was legitimately overtaking cars that were in the left, lane the slow. Lane so to, me the truck driver is one hundred and ten percent in the.
Speaker 2: Wrong how close would you describe seeing it in? Person because it looked to me like it was maybe a meter off the bumper.
Speaker 12: Bar oh not even not even if there was a baby in the back of that car and for whatever reason they would have had slammed the brakes, ON i can tell you, now actually the whole family would have been. Gone was literally lessen. IT i couldn't believe it WHEN i actually saw there was a car.
Speaker 14: In front of that.
Speaker 2: Truck, KYLIE i really appreciate this because. SYMPTOMS i JUST i cannot fathom why people continue to justify why truck drivers do this stuff and make excuses for. It it makes me really. Angry do you travel the road a?
Speaker 38: Lot, NO i.
Speaker 12: Don't but that journey, ALONE i went To geelong and back to visit, friend and on the way BACK i.
Speaker 48: Copped at least two other, episodes not as bad as the one THAT i said, You but there was a pea plater that was being tailgated on the way, back AND i just.
Speaker 12: THOUGHT i can see my kids in that. Situation they're in pea, plates AND i thought they would actually panic if they saw a truck right up their, backside they would. Panic and whether or not they would actually think to move confidently to the left or the right and let that truck, PASS i don't actually.
Speaker 2: Know, Kylie thank. You let me give you two bottles of The Borderly Buttery. Chardonay it is new and. Delicious i'll put you back to. Live and it's the. Ray each element of this that just really worries. Me the fact, that As kylie, says you've got pea, players you've got young, drivers you've got people in small. Cars the car has done nothing wrong. Here it is not in the ride, lane and even if it, was it's still no. Excuse this whole debate about making excuses for. Trucks Jim, Hello.
Speaker 30: Yeah, Hi, jackie thanks for taking my. CALL i spend countless hours on the roads for, work AND i cover the entire state in the industry THAT i work, in AND i think that we have A i, mean we definitely have a massive problem where people just don't kept people left unless. Overtaking BUT i see trucks tailgating day in day. Out TODAY i saw a truck tailgating a four wheel drive that had a big baby on board sticker out in the, back AND i just thought to, myself, Like i've got young, kids and every DAY i think to, myself LIKE i just want to get home to my, Family, like do not, tailgate, Honestly And i'm sure there's many people that encounter it on the. Roads And, JACKIE i just wanted to get your thoughts on. SOMETHING i noticed that on all the major arterials in this, state more often than, not the speed limits are eighty kilometers per, hour whether it's peak hour or. Not, Yeah AND i just want your. Thoughts do you think that creates more frustration because Sometimes i'm doing eighty AND i always stick to the speed, limit BUT i feel like it's not quick. Enough and do you think that having an eighty kilometer speed limit just gets people more, frustrated especially trucks that, think you know, What i've got a speed up so they shit on one.
Speaker 2: Hundred, Yeah, JIM i actually. Reckon you make a really interesting. Point And tony's just walked in to do the news. Headlines and one of the THINGS i think that frustrates people a lot is the thirty and the really low speed limits in the city, too BECAUSE i KNOW i understand why we have, them but we've talked about a. Lot But jim's point there that it just builds.
Speaker 16: Aggression the government is collecting a billion dollars in, fines AND i would tip that every time they lower a speed limit they collect, More SO i would just it's got a lot to do with revenue.
Speaker 2: RAISING i wouldn't say you'd suspected.
Speaker 16: Why would you make it eighty when you can do one.
Speaker 2: HUNDRED i think it's talking about The, monash isn't he that that little stretch on The? Monash, YEAH i don't. Know WHAT i worry about is the type of aggression and anger involving large vehicles up the backsides of smaller vehicles on our.
Speaker 16: Roads, yeah, well they've got an. Advantage they're big, yes and this vision is. Worrying you, know that can cause quite a lot of.
Speaker 2: Damage but it makes an interesting. Point who doesn't mean a caller no about what about? Meat SOMETIMES.
Speaker 16: I don't Think i've made one interest to, him the caller forty.
Speaker 2: Years you, Have so we love talking about. Trees the other, Day, yeah when people just could not, call our listeners could not stop wanting to have their, say.
Speaker 16: Because there's a lot of anger about. That AND i can understand the. Anger you own your. Property, yes you've determined that your tree is dangerous and you don't want your children and grandchildren to play out. There and they think they know better until something.
Speaker 2: Happened a lot of people ranging about ways to bump off, trees which we do not. Advocate i'm just saying they.
Speaker 30: Did.
Speaker 16: See my problem Is i've got about five houses where it could for.
Speaker 2: You, yes IF i was.
Speaker 16: To do something or got somebody else to, do BECAUSE i wouldn't do it, myself there'd be. Problems AND i wouldn't ever do that, Anyway. Joe i'm a law abiding citizen always And i'm going to die that way, soon thank.
Speaker 2: You SO i was going to, SAY i hope that's not, Soon, tony we love.
Speaker 16: You coming up in the news at six, o'clock the family of a doctor murdered In doncaster last year is calling for the killer to receive a life. Sentence seventeen year old youth who cannot be named has been found guilty over the stabbing death Of Ash. Gordon the victim's Sister natalie says she Thanks god the justice system paid off. Today The allen government denies The Westgate tunnel is facing further delays as builders struggle to keep up with Sawing construction costs have blown out by one point five billion, dollars the government insisting the extra money won't be coming from. Taxpayers liberal Leader Susan lee has declared the party must do more to recruit female candidates as it rebuilds from its election. Defeat THE abc has apologized after a court found Journalist Antoinette latoufe was unfairly dismissed eighteen months. Ago she's been awarded seventy thousand dollars and Raining Rising star Winner Olie dempsey is signed a four year contract extension With. Geelong all the details at.
Speaker 2: Six, tony thank You, Okay it's now time for the thirty k. Giveaway go, ahead, ma'am that's. It go, Ahead this is your keynicll be call a number five now, one, double, three, six nine three for your chance to spin the wheel in three aws thirty k cash. Giveaway it is twenty three minutes to. Six it's my favorite time of the. Day the thirty k cash giveaway on the line now Is Ann hi An. Hi let me give the wheel a spin for. You two thousand. Dollars well, Done, Anne, hey we're going to spend it on.
Speaker 13: YOU i think we're going a little trip maybe into state.
Speaker 2: Fans good on you and well done so two thousand. Dollars but that's the most we've given away so. Far we are spitting the wheel in, breakfast, mornings afternoons and drive so stay listening for your chance to win On melbourne's own three. Aw let's get back to your calls now And alan on. Tailgating, Hello, yeah good A.
Speaker 49: Jackie CAN i just start off by SAYING i always find you very fair and over for, Discussion just to put a little bit of perspective on the truck drivers side of. THINGS i do. Not i've been a driver for a number of. Years i'm fifty. FIVE i do not condone or accept any truck driver. Tailgating its one of my pet. Hates even WHEN i see it, DRIVING i shake my head at the track. Driver But i'd hate all of us to be tired with the same.
Speaker 50: Rush BECAUSE i drive on.
Speaker 49: A regular basis every, night any local up through the roadworks for the tunnel and so. On the amount of accidents THAT i avoid on a nightly basis is. Tremendous the red crosses on the bridges and the lanes closed don't exist for car. DRIVERS i was changing lanes last night and had my left hand indicator on months the lanes, open AND i had several cars duck up my left hand side to overtake. Me we all know overtaken on the left hand side, illegal and my indicator didn't mean, Anything so there's.
Speaker 50: Always a snowball. Effect we all know that cars cut in at the last, yes SO i understand that we can cause a lot more, damage but we can also be involved in accidents that aren't our, fault which harm and can sometimes kill people through no you know.
Speaker 2: FOLLOW i totally agree with, That, Alan, YEAH.
Speaker 49: I would just like, to you, know like a little bit of. Fairness LIKE i, SAID i don't condone tailgating at, all but just please don't tarissle with.
Speaker 2: Rush that's, fair that's. Fair AND i did want to ask you as, well now what's your view on because last time we did, this what we found out in the end was that the driver that was the tailgater was not only unlicensed to drive a, truck but was actually allegedly unlicensed to drive at all In australia and was a lot of these workers are coming in from overseas on international licenses at driving these massive rigs without the proper.
Speaker 51: Experience, ABSOLUTELY i, SAID i do a lot of wharf work and stuff with the, containers and, yeah you'll see one driver go to the wharf with A b double or AN a double and they'll get, out and if they've got.
Speaker 49: Somebody of their nation close, by they'll actually get them to reverse the trucks where they need. To and, yes it is a worrying trend out. There but also in saying, THAT i work with a lot of international boys Which i'm really close, to which are wonderful and fantastic. Vibors so, yeah we just need to tighten the screws on that sort of, thing which will.
Speaker 2: Help, yeah. Yeah, Alan, Look, ALLAN i appreciate you having a getting your point. ACROSS i think you did it, well but there is no excuse for the type of tailer gatting and the comments on social at the moment bagging the car driver, who as our witnesses, said did nothing. Wrong, Alan thank you, though great call And. Sean, Hello.
Speaker 39: Hi, jackie how are you good?
Speaker 2: Now you live In Wyndham?
Speaker 14: Vale, yeah Mana.
Speaker 39: Lake so the back part Of Windom. JACKIE, i like the other callers you've, had are pretty disgusted with the security child that was ded in last. Night BUT i think the one focus that we all they should have is what has actually had to come out of the budget in order to facilitate.
Speaker 2: This so what did come?
Speaker 39: In, well you tell men will both know it was because the whole basically with how it actually got into the budget is one. Thing BUT i know that last night there was mentioned a couple of councils may mention it's in their budget speeches that obviously they're talking about the loss of provision of dog parks and public, toilets which are two main things that council probably should be. Funding the other THING i probably draw some reference to is that with the money that was used last night for, security you could probably open some libraries on A. Sunday now there are two or three libraries In wyndham that are token on The sunday, currently one of which is the Manor Achs. Library and that the cost to that is probably just under a quarter of what the of what the cost is that they're spending. For and this is for a twelve months. TRIAL i might add it's twelve it's just it's about a quarter of what they've spent what they've put through last night to private.
Speaker 2: Security so they said three hundred and seventy thousand dollars shorn just for the.
Speaker 39: Trial that's how that's my understanding of the.
Speaker 16: Numbers, YES i just don't know about.
Speaker 2: THIS i think it's the thin end of the wed chere with this council And i'd love to speak to the mayor as to why they're doing. It hopefully we'll get the mayor he or she whoever that may be In wyndham on, tomorrow BECAUSE i want to come back to it. Tomorrow do you use private security one double three six ninety three or drop us an email drive At threw dot com dot. Au because every single person that has rung into this program today has said they did not support, this and when they had the expressions of interest opened for this, trial it was overwhelmingly voted. Against so why is the council doing? It they need to come on and explain. Themselves nothing better to do on This chilli night than curl up With Wide world Of sports after six ha loach You.
Speaker 52: Yeah that's a great. Promo thanks for, That. Jack of course we're going to be talking TO nfl. Football Nick dakos had some comments With sam mcclill that you know what he, Said i'd be open to entertaining an offer To.
Speaker 24: Tazzy shut, Up, NO i think he was just, steering but just making sure that he gets full tot.
Speaker 52: Odds of, course when he comes out of, contract he's definitely going to be a pie for.
Speaker 24: Life so if you want to give us a call About Nick dakos and the potential again To, tazzy what's been like this?
Speaker 16: Year?
Speaker 24: Incredible he just sets the bar so.
Speaker 52: High AND i don't get the whole idea of picking scabs off great. Players they get to a certain point where we don't focus as much on incredible things we do we look for all the little faults in the. Game And i'll just quick story When Gary Abla junior came back To geelong in his first. Year look at his tackle. Numbers look you're having a laugh in what stage of his career to where we? Go, OH i have a look At Garyabla junior's tackle. Numbers we looked at all the goals he did or the creative. Play SO i think that can creep into the game a. Bit we'll be talking, cricket of. Course the first ball is going to be bowled at midnight. Tonight australia take on The West, indies thirty years since our magnificent win over there winning The Frank Worreld.
Speaker 24: Trophy and a bit of a motorsport update towards the.
Speaker 2: End jim thank. You Jimmy bartel will be along with the wide world of sports after six after Seven Money news.
Speaker 1: On three Aw drive finance.
Speaker 31: Updates take the stress out of tax and consider appointing a new tax agent for your. Business Visit rjsanderson dot com dot.
Speaker 2: Au Scott hayward brings good news today because The Reserve bank is now likely to cut interest rates sooner than. Expected scott that's.
Speaker 53: Right inflation dropped for the twelve months To may to just two point one, percent down from two point four percent the month, before so of course the ban they want is between two and. Three the cost of housing went down and it did put a smile On Jim chalmers's. Face but as you, said the market is now pricing in a cut of interest. Rates On july, eight which was a big, highlight the market was FLAT asx two hundred other up three point seven points to five and fifty. Nine Commonwealth banks, shareholders which would represent a lot of people's industry super, funds hit one hundred and ninety two dollars a share into trading. Day banks are flying, resources Aren't i'm going to talk. About that's not a money news from Seven.
Speaker 2: Scott thank, You Scott hayward coming up with money. Use let's get back to your cause. Now And rob on truck Driving, Hello, yeah just with the.
Speaker 54: Tailgating there's a few tributing factors like being the driver, MYSELF i leave a gap because it takes longer for me to, stop but the amount of cars that see it as an invitation and they all pile, in and then all of a, sudden this trust. Tailgating and also how many drivers out there know exactly the speed that their vehicle's doing because the VEHICLE i drive master it's five kilometers, out so you, know they could think they're doing one hundred k's or whatever where they're actually doing less on the.
Speaker 7: Speed.
Speaker 2: Rob interesting, LOOK i think in this instance that we're talking about, today one of the problems IS i think everyone's making excuses all the time for just what is illegal and really dangerous. Behavior But, rob thank, You robie truck driver And, Gail, Hello, Hello.
Speaker 10: I've got a good.
Speaker 47: Program. Today my girlfriend got signed for having a park on The Nature strip m and she lived down to the council and she, said why DID i get signed for parking on my own? Land and she didn't know that The Nature strip is a council's, land so she turned. Around she, said, well if you want me to pay the, fine you will pay me for how many Years i've been paying A moulley's songry and you can start mowing it from next.
Speaker 2: Week that's, It. Gail it's it's the councils when it suits.
Speaker 16: Them.
Speaker 47: Yeah, yeah and guess what what they'll be her?
Speaker 2: Lawn Since, ah can you get the council to mow your. LAWN i thought the nature strip was your. RESPONSIBILITY i wonder if anyone else has had success with. That, gail thank you and The Wyndham City. Council we're going to come back to this again, tomorrow so if you're just tuning, In, basically they're voted last night three hundred and seventy thousand dollars to hire their own private security, force but only for certain streets In Trugga nina rather than the rest of The windham. Council, Paul, Hello, hello It's paul.
Speaker 21: Here how are you going?
Speaker 2: Good, paul go. Ahead oh, Look.
Speaker 55: I'm been in the, community, sorry the city of windhom for forty four, years AND i actually volunteer in the area as well in the firebrigade and one of the senior members. There and, LOOK i find it very disturbing that we're paying as a rate, payer we're paying for security. Patrol it's looking after.
Speaker 21: Part of a small part of. Window i'm a, PERSON i, WORK i have a small, family and you know we are considering moving due to the.
Speaker 36: CRIME i get.
Speaker 16: That how about Is, Paul.
Speaker 2: I'd love to, know, like how significant is?
Speaker 21: It it's a fair. Amount it's going. Up you, know there's always something happening every day or every second, day and seems to be In windham police arresting people and car accidents where people, evolved they're running. AWAY i find it. MYSELF i travel a little bit for, work AND i have a young family at home and a, partner AND i want to make sure they're. Safe so we are actually considering, leaving and, look maybe we might Have we might stay if it's a broader range of security, patrols but just to have it in one. Area And i'm part of many people that are paying for these tax, pays you, know as, taxpayers we're paying for, it AND i think it's. Ridiculous and the way that they carry on in chamber Is i've selected view is absolutely.
Speaker 2: Disgraceful, yeah apparently last night it was, wild like it was really. Inappropriate, paul thank you And. Steve, Hello, hi good.
Speaker 19: Evening how are you, Good?
Speaker 2: STEVE i was just going to.
Speaker 19: STAY i spent fifteen years in doing as a security. Officer and the thing, is though security don't have any special, powers we have no more powers than a general. Citizen SO i really don't see what security is going to be able to achieve.
Speaker 11: Because at the.
Speaker 2: End of, day is it a Deterrent maybe just to see the little car buzzing.
Speaker 19: Around probably Is today's kids don't, Care.
Speaker 2: STEVE i couldn't say better. Myself today's kids they do not care if they are involved in youth. Crime you are so. Right we will come back to this story tomorrow if you'd like to join this conversation drive at threew dot com dot. Au and also we'll check in with The Windom. Council surely if we give them enough notice they can front up. Tomorrow it is two minutes and two. Six we're almost done for the, day but a quick email From. Adam as a, COP i am for private security if they are trained right and get the right. Intelligence, however IF i was patrolling on The DIVVY i may choose not to Patrol chugger nine at knowing there was a security patrol. There therefore they won't get The divvy. Ban they've Written, cam but they Mean van as. Much thank You adam And, rebeccah thank you for your drive time. Tip she is the resident From Wyndham council who first alerted us to the decision last night to use ratepayers money to pay for private. Security, rebecca you are in the running for The Temper pellow. Pack it is valued at over six hundred dollars a great night's sleep night after. Night the difference Is temper and your drive time tips could see you win twenty grain cash thanks To Sheen Panel. Service drop us an email, anytime particularly on this issue of private. Security we will come back to it on the program. Tomorrow drive at threew dot com dot. Au thanks as always to the team behind the scenes for all of their. Work thank you for all of your. Calls have a great, evening stay, inside stay, warm AND i look forward to talking to you again. Tomorrow tim In mouth