Speaker 1: Hello, team, great to have you wear us for your season regular season wrap on between two posts. It is final sign baby, and we've got two, yes, two eusy sides in the running in the playoff picture and to help have a look at how that's all going to play out in the week to come and what happened on the weekend gone. It is a very warm welcome to Morgan and hearing you Matt Burke, were welcome to both of you.
Speaker 2: I'm good to go, yeah, very happy to be the six we probably would have predicted, predicted.
Speaker 3: Maybe one more Aussie side.
Speaker 4: You're cool blues, your cold blues about six weeks ago I reckon and they came to fruition.
Speaker 3: Very good.
Speaker 1: We've had a real fun morning Berkey. Just as a quick segue, we were out at Toronto Zoo this morning catching up with some little wallabies. We've got to handfeed some wallabies which is cool. And lions coming up as well in the weeks to come as well as awesome tronozoo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the reminder how lucky we are to have a zoo like that as impressive as as a zoo in the location that it was a.
Speaker 1: Spot we had an epic epic game Friday Night, Man a Joe starting between the Brumbies and the Crusaders. So after it's all said and done, after it's all run and won, the Brumbies finished third after a controversial calling Crusaders camber victory. Where do we want to start? Do we go straight to the postgame? What do you want to do straight to the postgame?
Speaker 3: Because you're both in the postgame straight.
Speaker 5: At the postgame.
Speaker 4: The score should have been the scoreline should have been different, absolutely, and I touched on it, Morgs. You took a one word to it, and which is which is exactly what should have happened. And the reasoning that your game afterwards about why where they finished in the ladder games going forward, that was a genuine knock on.
Speaker 5: It's going to pass the pub test.
Speaker 4: And we had the crew behind us, we had the judge, jury and executioner behind us. That that very vocal Brumbies crowd and they and they saw it straight away. Have you got the ar he's just there. I don't know what he's watching at that point there. We're all set on the sideline as well, in what world?
Speaker 5: In what world?
Speaker 4: And that's world that's just you know, that's like one of those books when you read when you were in year five, like you know, turned the page fifty four for this outcome one.
Speaker 5: Hundred and seventy.
Speaker 3: Choose your adventure, that good stuff.
Speaker 5: She's your an adventure. It's going to try.
Speaker 2: I reckon I went that hard. I actually got a lot harder.
Speaker 4: What would you said? What needed to be said? Well, how would you have gone harder?
Speaker 2: No? No, I just could have if you didn't want to be objective, Like this is the professional game. Let's be just not talking about an under third ends game on a Sunday with a volunteer referee and dad's the referee. Yeah, I refereed a couple of weeks ago. I was a Marsfield Park. Yes, there as an assistant referee, and so you were. You were doing your assistant referee the state championships the other day. That's all we're talking about. We're talking about a multi million dollar professional competition. The players are professional, Everyone working around the game is professional, and some are the referees that are playing around the world that are held accountable, that are ranked and awarded games on their performance. And part of our job is to hold accountability through there.
Speaker 1: What I'm struggling to understand is obviously there was a lot of criticism of you in the postgame online. I'd suggest ninety five percent of it was from offshore. That would be a fairly accurate summation. And there's this I think misguided I guess lens that's put on it that you're moaning that as Aussie commentators, we're moaning in the postgame because the result.
Speaker 3: Hasn't gone our way.
Speaker 1: In no world ever, if that same thing happens at Eton Park and it's an Aussie side who had a beneficiary, other sky Sport New Zealand commentators not going to do and say the same thing. So I just don't understand where we've lost this. Maybe it's some broader thing societally, but to go, you know what, they got it wrong and they're being held to account and that's okay and we move on to the next one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But the one good thing I took out of it is keep people still care, because there were there would have been more comments that I got from Australian fans in support, Happy, thankful, relieve that Wes actually starting to just not cop it all the time. There's a real undercurrent of perception that Australian teams losing fifty to fifty decisions a lot, whether you're just referring the table, human nature, whatever it is. And so there was a heap from Australian fans defending, and there's a heap obviously from New Zealand fans that don't want their team to win. I think it was just pretty much down wherever your allegiances allegiances lay, that's the way it went on the weekend.
Speaker 5: For me. You've got to take away the bias.
Speaker 4: I mean, you calling, and we do get excited when if an icy team scores a tribe to get excited if you know there's a spectacular Key Week team or a Fiji sim or whatever. So I think that's that's what we have to tell everyone out there as well. But when it's blatant like that, you've got to pick it and you've got to be we've got to have the courage to pick it for both sides. Now, we've got to have the courage to pick it for both teams to say that was robbed going out the way if it was.
Speaker 2: If you if you think we wouldn't and watch the last years of coverage, we've done correct what we did. The feedback we receive it stand from New Zealand players, New Zealand officials, from the Druer, the team themselves, is that they love the way we cover the game for them. We love the way that we celebrate the positives in our game.
Speaker 3: Who's responsible ultimately for that decision?
Speaker 1: I think James Dilmond, who, as you know, mores I get on really well with and enjoys company and the rest of it.
Speaker 3: He looked a touch on side of it.
Speaker 1: The assistant ref near side had a perfect twenty twenty shot on it. So is he the one who will get held to account for that or is it the whole referee team cops it.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I don't think much will happen. There's lots of little bits and pieces in that action. There's a counter up from the Brumbies which hits a player back and there's arms around, there's an obvious knock on. Of course, there's bits and pieces everywhere. So as I said straight after the game, it's not it's not a Dolmond call. He's unsited. He thought it was off a foot and he was blocked by a player. That happens all the time. Then the assistant referee has of you doesn't see it. Our issue is these protocols around TMO. So earlier in the match there's a bit of a howl where one of the assistant referees thought the ball had been touched when it got kicked out and the Brumbi's hand was a meter away something like that.
Speaker 5: He shanked it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when he shanked it right. They fixed that. So in the downtime between the line out and there, they fixed that and changed the call. No try resulted in that there was no foul play, but they could fix that because it was logical. So it's a referring team thing. Look, it's not a huge I would just think that when I wouldn't mind if in the last ten minutes of a game, when the game's on the line, if there's a howler we can avoid, let's let the TMO come in and fix it.
Speaker 3: Okay the dramas.
Speaker 2: The dramas are in the twenty twenty three World Cup Final about the knock on that called back the All Blacks try. The New Zealand fans, you don't like it because it costs you a try. And it's outside protocol. So African fans, you love it because the right call, but they went out of system to get it. That's the medium we're in.
Speaker 4: So that's the that's the pubtest. I'm talking about. What's the protocol then in saying where, how, where and how far can you go back from adjudicating that in discretion?
Speaker 2: If a try scored, you go through that phase of play. But that wasn't a try, right, so then they just leave it. It was not for our player. They just leave it.
Speaker 4: So that's the how we're trying to get rid of it, right, That's that's the one we're winning.
Speaker 2: Some yeare's and that's also sport. And we said it after the game. Crusaders got their opportunity, were good enough to take it when Drummy's got a chance. They weren't good enough to take a drop goal or keep it tight enough to draw a penalty. There's all that, but the context of that decision means it was a Brumbie scram. It's another sixty seconds time off the clock they kicked down the other end. You'd expect a very different result from that game.
Speaker 4: But I did it because you said before it's a multimillion dollar game and it's just sport. I played when it was just sport, when you got the fat la Laura referees down halfway and Campe's he scores a try, he's halfway out and he gives it because there were no cameras.
Speaker 5: And what have you.
Speaker 4: And how many times hello, I've scored a trial where I've knocked it on and I've been given, I've been taken away one when.
Speaker 5: You get it down.
Speaker 4: So I don't reckon, we say it's not sporting more. I think we've got to be able to have that real definition of the people upstairs. If they're not sighted, just pick it up to it mate. That was a knock on, pull it back.
Speaker 2: And when we saw that with the Noel Obasia knock on for a Brumbies Triversua Tars in Sydney, I think Okief on the run was like, oh, I might have got that wrong. Can you check? And as they're playing on he does. So there's enough downtime for a teammate to help. So look it is, how long is a piece of string around? TMO help? And we're always looking for the right medium between speed of game and really fatas of results I.
Speaker 1: Do want to touch on this before we sort of go back into who played well for both teams and what it looks like in terms of Brumbies hopes this year. Why did no body from the Brumbies step into the pocket and take a shot at drop goal with a minute to go? And this isn't on any one person. This is a team. Aren't you preparing for the said eventuality? This isn't essentially this is a knockout game a week early because if you don't finish second, your odds of winning are so rapidly diminished the title, right, So why there.
Speaker 3: Was so many chances?
Speaker 5: There was no plan, so there was nothing doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was played for the penalty. Played for the penalty. If you take the shot with a minute to go, you're still going to get the ball back. Yeah, you're still getting the ball back.
Speaker 4: So we got you lose the territory if you yeah, you lose.
Speaker 3: It, you're going to get it back towards the twenty two correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, correct. It's really interesting.
Speaker 4: We spoke about on the sideline when it was all playing out, and I remember saying to Nick that there's no plan at the moment, that sort of it's a bit headless. They're trying to go for that try and they're trying to and then we sort of said, well they're trying to get that penalty. They're trying to ink that pedaly out. I go back to my time when I played, we never had a plan. Bernie Luck and when he hit that field goal against South Africa, he was hoping to hit it dead and he just flushed it down the middle. I then went to England and played with Johnny Wilkinson and that was just his go to.
Speaker 5: That was his play.
Speaker 4: If we got until the twenty two and we're fluffing about, he'll just ping a field goal and come away with three points. We just don't have that. I don't know where we've got the skill to do it either. Remember Harrison's field goal against Crusaders last year and he hit it flush. I don't think we have the technical nouse to be able to set ourselves up and do it. I challenged him, if they do have it, come and tell me they do have it. But I don't reckon we've got it because we're always trying to score tries and not come.
Speaker 5: Away with points.
Speaker 3: It's a last resort, it's a last risk.
Speaker 2: So they're they're thinking, we're going to attack until we get penalty advantage or someone makes a great carry, we get within five meters, then we're going to whack away, wake away, try and borrow one over. Eventually they thought there was that space on the edge and look like Tool holds this ball, but there wasn't much happening out there. You'd say, with it's tactically smart to get there. But he holds that ball five meters out with a foard pack on the front foot, so pretty confident they're going to score.
Speaker 3: Oh man, just take the three. They snap a shot.
Speaker 1: There are guys throughout that I'm saying could easily rip one off. Yeah, mate, they couldn't have had a better field position.
Speaker 4: You remember, do you remember I'm going back a few years now, probably eight years now, nine years Carter was playing. Was that it was at in Brisbane and they were down by a couple of points and they end up getting this is the all Black said. And they ended up getting the ball and they just marched their way up the field and Carter had a shot and it slid by left hand side and they could have won thing. I think it was a draw that game. Could like twenty fourteen could have been. But I just thought that's what people need to do. You've got to understand where you want to go to and you had to conduct it rather than perhaps the Noah hit and hope we'll give it to a bloke who's sort of got some fast feet on the edge.
Speaker 2: So how many times in his whole life as a footy player would Nola I have had to do that? Yeah, get in a position to kick a field goal? Does that semi in Auckland a few years ago where they had a long range shot less than five and he's in his twenty something, he's playing rugby as a junior. You're never doing it never. Yeah, I get all that, but I'm just saying that we just don't do it. We don't do it.
Speaker 1: If you want to win and we're agreeing with you, it may come down to that. I just don't understand why that wasn't in the kit bag going in.
Speaker 2: Anyway, What you end up doing is you just go hit one side, hit the other side, come back. You just go and then you put two guys in the pocket and if you get some sort of quick ball carry with a block, then you have the lash but it's an all in.
Speaker 3: It's an all but it wasn't an all because they still had time.
Speaker 2: You figure that it takes forty five seconds to kick that drop goal. One you can jam it into touch two you jam it long like it's a different situation of being fifteen minutes home.
Speaker 3: I'm having a pop. I'm having a pop all day every day, I tell you what.
Speaker 1: Ahead of that, though, they played some great for you coming back from that halftime. The depisite that Brumbies played beautiful rubby, which gives me great hope for the back end of the season, fell as this try the pool pass I think it was from Bobby v.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just great to see. It's a little bit of a change up three men forward shape. Instead of one going out the back, they shift along one more pat to Valentini, who has the most perfect bloat you could ever want appearing there. So normally it would be Frost behind Valentine. So it's a change up on their shape and it's great to see that it was with a try.
Speaker 4: But that holding that depth from the outside as well, there was there were still four players attracting someone and ikeitel around that great that little line Joe Roff used to run a line very similar, just appear in a gap and then he gassed it and was it was a spectacular try.
Speaker 3: Bobby V important in the lead up there.
Speaker 1: Bobby V was just massive in the second half in general, Fellers who else jumped out at you from a Brumby's perspective, that makes you think, you know what, it's going to be okay this week against the Canes. He loves the camera. He would get him every time, every time with it.
Speaker 4: I thought, right, Lonigan was good again, you know, just trying to control around that that base and trying to control that.
Speaker 5: The play Valentini was was outstanding.
Speaker 4: That two hits in about a minute and a half and they were just rocking hits and you just know that you're just going to get all of him when you're taking the ball.
Speaker 5: Up, and I think that was a good shot.
Speaker 2: I think they were all pretty good, truthful, especially the last forty minutes. Brumbies will if they can bottle that and take that and put that into eighty, they'll be okay. Don't know about that. That was excellent. The second forty, first forty they just got beat into the punch. A couple of times didn't play like themselves. You know, they scored that early try then it was almost like that took them down a peg in terms of an enthusiasm, but just being right on the edge physically what they needed to be. And then Crusaders of course were good as well. So it's just a really good game of footy that went all the way down to the wire and Crusaders were able to take there.
Speaker 3: So they've got the Canes this week.
Speaker 1: This is a rematch earlier this year where the Canes came to town and were as good as we've seen them in recent times, beating the Brumbies on that occasion. Well, the gameplay out the same way.
Speaker 3: Do you think.
Speaker 1: I know it's Monday, but I'm already so pumped this coming Saturday.
Speaker 2: It's not just the one through the year. Remember Ardisa there it was ruled to be held up. Yes, was that two years back? Ye, Like, there's been some big games this team Hurricanes Brumbies matchup. It's been a few of them. Brumbies beat the Canes, so they only want to beat them in the regular season. Last year there was those bits and pieces, so there's a bit of history there. The Brumbies. Being at home is always an edge and the little lessons from last week will help them. But any team with cam Royguard playing the way he is at the moment, they could win the whole thing. The Canes, they could win this and win the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't wait. It's going to be good. We're going to build it up all week long. The other Australian team men who will be competing for the title.
Speaker 1: The last of the two sides left, the Queen zam Reids, who were ruthless in their absolute hammering of the drewer on a wet night in Brison Lokie Ands and the man with four tries in that absolute smash up of the.
Speaker 3: Drewer fell at Burkie. You can't believe how wet it was.
Speaker 1: It was bucketing down on the way to the ground all day, all night, wasn't it didn't stop?
Speaker 2: Calling it up, called the racers off down the road.
Speaker 5: What did you do beforehand?
Speaker 2: I got a lot of study done.
Speaker 3: It's all in the wall.
Speaker 1: He had a quiet afternoon, but you know it didn't have a quiet afternoon. Locky Anderson, who's just come out right place, right time. I'm going to get some thoughts on Locky Andison from one of these team mates later in the show. But guys, he's just coming on and on and on. This young man.
Speaker 4: I got that chance to score that try against the war Tars on the bounce a little Night's little titless prob one sat up for him nicely and he scored the try.
Speaker 5: We spoke to him after the game.
Speaker 4: He's a massive human like he would be six three six four, And you just think, like when you're out there and when we're at the pitch there and Mores, you know, I mean, you're not you're what are you six two? And you look at these blokes and outside you're thinking you should be playing background. But he's got speed, he's got size, he's got strength, and he knows how to find a tryaline And it's amazing when you just get, when you just get an opportunity, how much you thrive and how much you grow. And then obviously with the guys that are inside in there being able to shift him the ball and give him to a ball in space, you know, well done.
Speaker 5: It means tick the box every time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a truth and it's a halfh run. He's in a better team. He's got better players around him now that he's come from Melbourne. You know, he did well down there and obviously took him some time to just sneak across to the fifteen game again and just be aware of all the intricacies of his positional play. But you know, you've got John Campbell that you're working with in the back line, you're sharing some roles with Doungoun and you've got Piss Army there in the middle line is playing. We've got all these great back rollers playing around you. Quality a player around you really helps that. I think he was the pick of them on the weekend. And you forget like Joe Roff, Drew Mitchell and now Luckie Anderson. They're the most try scored by Australian superb before just those three, Like it's rare Rolf, Mitchell, Anderson.
Speaker 3: That's a great trivia question.
Speaker 1: And I reckon Drew's were against the lines in Sydney with here four Roth was maybe against the Sharks at Marnarka Oval.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly That's pretty good for me. He's good intributed to yeah, Macus Spring and Seanjuaane Nui. Of course, it's called five. That's so one of the five best individual tryscoring performances in the history of Super rugby is huge. Think about the finishes we've had in that five years.
Speaker 1: How Josh Flicko returning from injury. We haven't seen him since round three. He has resigned with Aussie Ruby, which is a massive, massive result for Queenslan and the broader game here in Australia.
Speaker 3: How do you play again?
Speaker 4: You just talk about, Yeah, it's difficult to come back after so many weeks off and actually make an impact. I think for him for this game of the weekend was more about just doing his role, you know, to support play, give space to the guys on the outside, make his tackle. So look, you could say it was a I think a welcome return for him in that space. And then obviously when you're looking at when he's talking about Australian rugby, it's a it's going to be a beneficial role for having him in amongst it. So look tick the box they get through. He gets another chance to impress this weekend as well.
Speaker 2: Big minutes. Considering it was a hamstring injury, he put the foot down for the try one that was probably the great sign loomed down the right hand, so I looked for support, said no, okay, Bang, I'm going to go and reaccelerated hamstring stood up. And what he does he does the basics well, makes his tackles, communicates well. Is a good foil at center. They're better for having him back in the turn.
Speaker 1: Speaking of guys in the team doing well, Joe Brile scores the final try. Now I need I need a kid, I Eda gen X, a millennial, someone younger than we are, to explain the pole celebration. So you can't tell me. Is it Henry Polly? It's both getting and giving it to him? Is poly the man who started this whole thing? Was there someone else who started the pole celebration?
Speaker 3: Someone explained it to me?
Speaker 4: Please, I'm the oldest person on this panel, so morgs, here we go.
Speaker 2: I'm the youngest person on this panel. I know it's Yeah, I think it's a pretty old It's not Henry Pott didn't create it? Well, who created it? It's just a bit of seppo, you know what.
Speaker 3: He should have gone out from game.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, it would have come out of America like it was like, I'm is it like I'm still at my resting heart rate because I'm so.
Speaker 5: Cool, I'm so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he got reverse polls from WW and he took it for him. It was a good finish for Brill, who was increasive again. So the Reds take on the Crusaders this week. I don't even I don't even know where to start with the draw I don't even think we need to touch on the drawer.
Speaker 3: They didn't win.
Speaker 1: That's twenty three, twenty three and out on the road across the last few years. I just they were close early on, then they give away an almost an attacking other card penalty and then that's cooked cooked.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Just discipline is the end point. It covers too much that word. But they just they cannot maintain concentration on their call roles for the eighty minutes. At the moment, we thought the Glenn Jackson a lot throughout the year. He's been upbeat. They trained hard. They're a great group. They have, you know, issue like like the force, they travel a lot, those sorts of things. They seem to deal with it very well. They just get on with the job. It's a great group of kids and experienced players. Now first two players to play fifty games for Super for the draw on the weekend, so they're starting to find players with experience, but they're just they're just behind inaccuracy the other teams and it just adds up overseas.
Speaker 3: And then the other night it just didn't. It just didn't.
Speaker 1: I mean, this was the perfect summation of their night, almost their season. They got so many times they got inside the posing sides red zone. It kind of vary almost from fifty try to shove his way past line out in a touch.
Speaker 3: That was kind of the wrap up of the year for them.
Speaker 1: So back to the Red So Crusaders this week Friday night, Horn's going over to fly the flag for the Sands Sport team.
Speaker 3: It's going to be a beauty. It's going to be an absolute beauty.
Speaker 4: What do you I mean the speed of play, which when we spoke to James I a couple of weeks ago and now after that Tars game, he was talking about the training methods that they have and and look, I know I understand all the teams.
Speaker 5: Everything's faster and more. Friend Egg.
Speaker 4: We spake on the weekend about that recycle play. The Crusaders team have this recycled play that is just express and if you're not ready for it, sort of get out of the way because someone else is coming to take your play. So I think the Reds can combat that, but it's going to be a tough ass for them. Breakdown is going to be so important for them to slow it down.
Speaker 3: Well the other way you said they're going to be drifted into an out of games. The Reds in twenty five.
Speaker 2: Some of their twenty minute blocks are irrepressible, just brilliant rugby to watch, focus, great execution, but they have some downtimes there. They're probably one of the best teams I've seen. When they get a line break against them, they are desperate to get back. They get great numbers behind the ball. If you see an opposition we are going for the corner, there's invariably five Reds players scrambling to get back there. But what they aren't always good at is, you know, doing it the easy way, which is not allowing the line break to begin with. They just do have those issues. It's just where they are at as a team. It's what's holding them back. And if you have a five to ten minute period like that in christ Church, it's lights out.
Speaker 3: It's going to be gone and.
Speaker 2: You met the collision.
Speaker 3: Collision.
Speaker 2: You got to win collisions and you've got to fix that breakdown. Watch the Brumbies game and watch what the Crusaders did in the defensive breakdown. If they're able to do that.
Speaker 3: They no way that's allowed to happen this week.
Speaker 1: Well, there can be no way the broader refereeing group cannot watch that game from last week and allow that to happen again.
Speaker 3: But if you're in a semi.
Speaker 2: If you're the Reds, do you know what, let's kiss there saying right now. No, we don't wait for the referee to do it. We do it ourselves. If you're gonna wait for a referee to do that, you're in the wrong. You get their first, get their lower, get their first, be lower, work hard on the ground, win collisions. Like he's got to say, Reds, we do our job. Mavroline a referee to clean up our quick ball forward. It's your job to give us quick.
Speaker 3: Ball fast, bring back rucking.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's one for the other show.
Speaker 1: Fellas Blues, the war Retars, the war Tars organization in South Wales Wroight. We had one one game at Eton Park in ninety seven years of trying, so the going in and at ten six you thought maybe the a rhythm's got this wrong, maybe the tars are going through and then it just old baby.
Speaker 3: One Dame or ninety seven years.
Speaker 2: It should have been too.
Speaker 3: You guys got close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if Matt Burke wasn't on the piece in an Ice bas if you read Burkey's.
Speaker 1: Autoboger was in Newcastle, listen, it's ten six through thirty seven minutes of action.
Speaker 3: What were you thinking?
Speaker 1: We were watching, obviously from our hotel room in Brizzy Burkey, what were you thinking at that score line?
Speaker 3: Did you think okay?
Speaker 5: There was a bit of okay about it, but there was a bit of what you take? What did you take? Three points twice?
Speaker 4: You know, you had to you had to score, try to beat to beat the Blues. You're gonna have to score tries.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get to twenty at least twenty five.
Speaker 4: You've got to have something in the bank, you know. And when they did that just before halftime, I think it was and about the twenty half minute, I think they got I think they got their direction wrong. I don't know who made the decision to go.
Speaker 5: Go for the goal.
Speaker 4: I know that, you know when you're talking about it, and we spoke about it briefly on the sideline of the Brumbies game. You've got to keep the pressure on if you if you let that pressure valve go, you just the opposition team goes beautiful, we're out of here.
Speaker 5: We can go territory, we can go pace.
Speaker 4: And then they end up scoring two tries in about seven minutes, and so I thought that's where they got a few of the things wrong at.
Speaker 5: Ten to seven. Was their hope.
Speaker 4: There was hope, but I don't think they were ever going to actually overcome this outfit.
Speaker 1: Did you think that Teala's try should have stood because that was rather.
Speaker 3: Crucial in the end.
Speaker 4: No, because there was the world's biggest forward pass here whereabouts?
Speaker 5: Right now?
Speaker 3: Where there?
Speaker 4: What mate, Jordi Barrett is in front of the player who's passing the ball.
Speaker 5: So how do you do that? Okay, they messed that up there.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter where he stands.
Speaker 5: The hand mate.
Speaker 2: That is so forward, so typical Aussie commentator, that.
Speaker 4: Many forward passes in this environment, It is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: That's pretty flat. That's okay, is I record?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Could you.
Speaker 5: Let's you cannot be in front.
Speaker 2: I can be in front of the I forget about where bar it is. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: Backwards out of the hat, it's nothing, It's.
Speaker 2: Only it comes out of the hand.
Speaker 4: Be quiet, Be quiet, Not that I had anything with the game. The war won't go win that game.
Speaker 5: But all I'm seeing each week forward passes. Each week. We've got to get back to that pub test.
Speaker 1: Don't take I tell you what when you tell you examples to the pub, don't run in with that one because people say you can we go back.
Speaker 3: To outside you're the crowd.
Speaker 5: What about what about line tackle? Just then? From the throwing the ball throw at one.
Speaker 2: Throat, that was forward, that was for you. Didn't mention it then, did you? When you're right, you liked it is.
Speaker 4: So what do we want now? The shoulder pad, the shoulder charge on from let's a penalty try.
Speaker 1: He wants to get a high five for trying to try one of the hardest running hooking.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course the hint of a rap with the right army may yeah, actually.
Speaker 3: Tommy just saw Timmy get drilled. He's like, oh, tom, who.
Speaker 4: Was I got to go back to who was who was the who was the winger for Auckland and the Blues around my time.
Speaker 5: I've got his name now. Was Dougie No, no, no.
Speaker 3: Who was then?
Speaker 4: No no no, no.
Speaker 5: Winger Joe dear Joel even Deary. There we go.
Speaker 4: So we're playing Auckland in Auckland and Matt Dowling was the winger. I said to he, mate, you got him? I said, mate, just rush up, and he just had some have some, had some time. I don't give him time. Make sure you take his space away and he goes my record.
Speaker 5: I've got him.
Speaker 4: I've got to speak. I just worked the sideline. I said, please don't and the first play that were double cut, and it got to him and his shadows shadow shadow, and just went like what and then.
Speaker 5: And I hit him. I tackle him, I reckon. I knocked myself out.
Speaker 4: I got up. I went, don't even do that. And there's a few other words in there.
Speaker 1: Rico Yuani, speaking of finishes, he grabs three on the weekend, equal the Great Man Doggie Howard's fifty five tries.
Speaker 3: With the Blues.
Speaker 1: I do love watching Rico when he's in form. He's a good watch. Still, there's still a lot of chat that goes on. He was into Joe Walton after going over one of those as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah you're allowed to though, when when you're scoring allowed to run for as he looks a bit of gas. When Calloway chasing down, I thought he was I thought he was a shoeing for that one there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, came over. Yeah, well he's getting a little bit older.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you're allowed your lad to have chat.
Speaker 2: We all lose all those of you that had it.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, yes he might have lost.
Speaker 2: Half a yard, but he's probably gained it up here. You will you look at.
Speaker 4: That that that short try he did was outstanding. Just understand, just giving the forwards a bit of a rest and say, I'll take it up crash over the line.
Speaker 1: Did you throw a lip when you were up big with tars and wallabies?
Speaker 5: I don't think we're up big with tars or wallabies.
Speaker 2: So there's a few times a couple of people copped it from him from him.
Speaker 4: Yeah fullback, No one heard me, no lip, no lip.
Speaker 3: I was nil by lip.
Speaker 5: I was in the Lippy Blake group.
Speaker 2: Every mother in law's favorite neil By Lip, never by lip. I'll bring him home for dinner. Never no lippy Burkie che steel he was always he was just shut.
Speaker 1: Cheese fee Highlighters forty one, twenty four. I'll keep this short and sharp because it's the Chiefs who ran away with you in the Highlanders, as they have done all season long, put together some terrific moments, really really good moments. It wasn't enough to get them across the line against Highlanders. Chiefs take top spot, Highland taped bottom spot. They get wooden spoon. This was the other big game from the weekend. Hurricanes Viat Mawana Pacifica everyone's second favorite team, Mawana hah.
Speaker 3: CIFKA got close.
Speaker 1: Early and then the Canes just on another year and this sets us up for the weekend in CARMARTI leads him out the huge performance again from Anisi scores a try in that game.
Speaker 3: Up against He's our club.
Speaker 5: Yeah, heck, this is rockstar, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Well when it comes to just.
Speaker 4: Owning the cake tin, I mean his season has been outstanding, hasn't He's since coming back from Japan, where he dominated. He was show and Go, Chip and Chase. He was doing everything over there, and he sort of brought that bit of flare back again. Ye know, but that that that seven or old that he does is so on the ball still and there I mean, there you go. Welcome home Arty. So you know he not as he got support from Mowanam. He's got the support from the Hurricanes as well, and you know, again dominates in a team that that struggled that night.
Speaker 5: But he's just you get thrilled, County.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine just thinking back to his time in Japan. Imagine you're the line worker at suntorys Hungle Life and your job is putting labels on fancy bottles of whiskey during the day, and then on the weekend you got to play. And he said, I just throw yourself at his feet.
Speaker 5: Have you done Japan? Have you done? Have you done coaching in Japan at all? Mondy coaching in Japan for a while. Then I'm out there and.
Speaker 2: Coacher, Yeah, I think anything you want to week cash.
Speaker 4: Week, kicking week, scotty wife, whiskey bottle, that's right. I'm still waiting for the classics to come through.
Speaker 5: But that's all right.
Speaker 4: And and we did the session with the team and I went, let's wrap it up, and goes like, no, we don't go home yet.
Speaker 5: He said that was the professional players. Now the company players come along and I went, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Then he goes, well, said this guy over here, this guy here is systems analyst. He's come in and he's working his way up. He's going really well. And then he want it to a tight end proper and he goes he works the boomgate and he will for the next twenty years. I went, well, up, But he's got a job. He's in the company and that's what that's his role. So by the end of the week I couldn't speak, and because you're yelling out all the instructions, then it gets interpreted.
Speaker 5: And I just said the interpreter, so make can you? And he's looked at me.
Speaker 1: Nup.
Speaker 4: I said, you have to do the voice. I could be saying anything, but you have to be the voice of reason.
Speaker 1: It was good fun, though, I say, what he's good fun. Getting Monster's macrom absolutely this week it is from this game the Devon Flanders.
Speaker 2: Try say Flanders first, because I'm going to call him Flanders afterwards. This is my lovely billet, little ball across sorry, and look at this the little chip and chase out of the top of the laughter fender from the back roller. So the Narsenal stript from Reyguard a lovely ball on the edge. There's a heap of good tries in this one, but I love a back roller chip and.
Speaker 3: Chase Hagard was the passing before the chip, Chase the.
Speaker 4: One that was forward, start yelling cloudy and that was a forward pass. It's not it's so far forward that last pass of the inside has to be forward pretty which that's a gratical Now forward, it's out of the hand, but he's look backwards out of the hand that he's so far forward.
Speaker 5: Players.
Speaker 1: I'm taking him to roll Ring a golf club on Wednesday. After that, I'm taking straight over the road to the mall. We're going to open a sam and we're going to get those classes looked back.
Speaker 4: Film you film, you've got to pass it back, which you can't pass it there.
Speaker 2: If you know what physics is.
Speaker 5: I know exactly what physics is.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter what he's standing. Only matters with the ball guy.
Speaker 5: Of course, and then went forward.
Speaker 3: Fantasy has come to a close, and you're.
Speaker 2: Going to be a good referee.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you got your aar ticket.
Speaker 5: Do you know what how to do?
Speaker 4: I took a picture, I sent it to you guys, and then I end up sending and this gardener what's the and even he got it wrong?
Speaker 2: I right, I did? Was right?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah? There was one more forty.
Speaker 1: Fully credited as now and.
Speaker 2: You'll see me running down the sideline at Stayed Champs next week in Concord and tweeters.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, Fellows, fantasyes Cape will clothes this. We've just captured so many people this year. There was over seventy thousand players and the winner at the end of it Callum Brown out of Melbourney. He takes home a ten grand collect So I just I just want to recap the numbers to make sure that we're doing this again next year. Now, there are going to be some tweaks required for twenty twenty six going forward, and I'm sure.
Speaker 3: The crew spl will take it on.
Speaker 1: But such a good job that bringing in We had seventy thousand players, twelve thousand different leagues, four point five million players ins and outs. The most selective players across the year was Artist Saville. The most captain player, which we bring you double points, was the d Mac.
Speaker 3: It was just awesome. And a special shout out.
Speaker 1: To my wife Marissa, who took out our little league as well, all on our own and if this is the idea behind it, and the reason I use her as an example is because she watched every minute of every game that had one of her players in it. Woman who's in her mid forties, who has not who doesn't you know, who's not fully hardcore in it, became hardcore into it because of Fantasy.
Speaker 2: That's why so well done was already the highest point score across the season.
Speaker 3: Will Jordan was on a run there. I think already made Carlo Carlo was up there.
Speaker 1: Good if you've nailed me with that one. But well done to everyone who is part of fantasy. And also for our lunch at co and shep I'm hungry.
Speaker 2: God, no boo, no boo.
Speaker 3: Have you heard what he's going to try and do?
Speaker 2: Also, I want us to go? Can we go?
Speaker 1: It's worse than that, can drop him, can stop him in. So he wants to try and auction off for lunch. This is at car for a punner. So the punner gets to come to our lunch, which would be great, but he's trying to use the puner's money to pay for the money he'd have to.
Speaker 3: Pay to shout the lunch. Is that play on?
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 4: That's maybe we could send it to our managers and invoice him to offset that.
Speaker 3: That's not bad.
Speaker 2: Some of it's unimportant enough.
Speaker 3: Fantasy's done. Time for our post is right?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, we've got to before we can finish with the fizz and the fireworks and the fun times that goes with the Golden Post, the award. We need to recap the weekend gone because this might have a big impact in terms of two takes our top spot one points from the weekend gone.
Speaker 3: Please, men, what have you got books?
Speaker 2: No longer, so I thought, in trying circumstance, especially in the first half, he was the pick of the Brumbies. One clean line break, four or five tackle bus controlled things as well as he could. It wasn't an easy night of the office for a ten against that crusader's rush defense and they went perfect the Brumbies, but no one was good.
Speaker 5: I've gone the other ten from the Reds.
Speaker 4: I've gone Tom Liner and again just controlling and when you talk about who's.
Speaker 5: Scoring the tries, it was on the width there.
Speaker 4: And I think that's one of the one of the positive things the Reds have been able to do this year is find some space out on the width there, and he's been obviously the catalysts being able to do that.
Speaker 1: Tami Germot one triggy conditions perfect having enabled Liner to play well.
Speaker 3: Number two points two points.
Speaker 2: Tom Hooper tackles and carries huge breakdown entry is huge, had an excellent season in a tough part of the field where he lives all the time. Another two points from me for Tom Hooper.
Speaker 4: I like Ryan Lonigan on the weekend you know again you talk about the middle that the Crusaders had. He was busy around that that rock area, was trying his best to clear the ball and create some space.
Speaker 5: He got a couple of runs. I just like the way he works at nine.
Speaker 1: Lockiy Anderson four tries two points. I thought he was great and has been great for the large chunks of the year.
Speaker 2: Lock Anderson four tries three points.
Speaker 4: Whoa when nearly went the jackpot Then Locky Anderson four tries three.
Speaker 1: WHOA fellas feature Rolf Mitchell Anderson. Yeah, I can't really can test you, guys, but I had Bobby v's my three. He's almost got his side home after just hitting the nitro in that second half. Okay, all right, I'll tell you what Lockie has put in a late season charge. I'm going to count him down from fourth through the top spot.
Speaker 3: You're ready for this.
Speaker 1: In fourth place, equal on fifteen votes, it's the Toms right in Hooper from the Brummy's work. Knowing that Hooper was right up there in the MVP voting from our Broader Super Rugby competition as well.
Speaker 3: Third place with sixteen votes a man from the.
Speaker 1: West Carlo Tazano with sixteen ahead of him on twenty two votes.
Speaker 3: In second place, I missed the.
Speaker 1: Tom linerd season yep, Liner all right on twenty nine votes, clear of Tommy by seven and bringing in the most votes ever in a season in the long distinguished history of.
Speaker 3: The Golden Post is Fellas.
Speaker 1: It is my great pleasure to announce it our Golden Posting win it for twenty twenty five is Tape McDermott from the Queen's Amory, How good he got a year he's had? Just to show you how good the year he's had. Check these highlights, the German find sub room and he goes run.
Speaker 6: On Drue the German getting behind and Flood gets the score. He's fence, Campbell and field, MacDermott for two. MacDermot taps and guys himself MacDermot with brilliant feet, MacDermott, Jonson all himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has been next level through twenty twenty five and he joins us now all the way from Britain.
Speaker 6: A little boy player, Hello boy, please.
Speaker 3: Tape.
Speaker 1: You've represented the country, play World Cups, all the rest of it.
Speaker 3: Where does this accolade sit for you? Now?
Speaker 7: The personal thanks fellas really appreciate it. A little bit shocked when I got the message from Jimmy, our media manager. But yeah, Hugh Johnny, look at the two other blocks that I want to perform me. Yeah, so thank you.
Speaker 4: There's no music then we're we're not going to wrap you up, so if you want to keep going. And by the way, I've heard this is like guaranteed selection for Wallaby is our crew for the other two. We'll work for the other two exactly right. Taylor's going to say to you, how this year it's been incredible for you, You've played incredibly well. Hopefully more to come, obviously, with the finals happening. Now, what's been the secret of the Red success this year?
Speaker 7: Yeah, a lot of it's been down for less team and just how they've brought through our next kind of tier of depth. You know, we've been tested a little bit this year with injuries, but the way we recruited in the off season and the way that key guys have played. You look at how much Tommy Line has grown in that jersey and you know, tanza and accrusion a really important part of the part of our system. You know, the way we want to play, We've play with a lot with and you know, it tends to take control. And the way Tommy's developed as a player's been a huge catalyst for the way we've kind of developed as a team. And not only Tommy.
Speaker 5: You see guys like Dre Pacio has had a great.
Speaker 7: Season, you know in the center's both at twelve and thirteen, Joe Browle just just to name a couple. So just how quickly those guys have developed in the hot seat has been really impressive and you know, has helped us massively.
Speaker 5: Throughout the year.
Speaker 2: Technically. Turn our attention, of course to this weekend. You go to christ Church your Friday Night James O'Connor on the side, you've got history of doing some good things in Cross Church recently. What's the approach.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we got to we've got to do the basics for mate. Obviously, we know the Cross The Crusaders are a fantastic side, all blocks right across the park, so we've got to have our focus on the ball. We've got to make sure last time we played them, we gave up possession way too easy. Big ranks of us of our game the last couple of weeks has been just how well we've competed in the air for our kicks. And with the weather prediction coming that's that's going to be important as well. So when we choose to give them the ball, we're going to make it hopefully contest and yeah, put them under pressure. So yeah, we've go to we just got to make sure we do the fundamentals well, we've got to make our tackles. I thought our defense on the weekend was it was a great starting point for where we need to go this weekend of this Friday, and yeah, we're excited for the challenge.
Speaker 4: Maybe he's had a word to the referee, but the ruling of knock ons, mate, you might you might want to give me all the tip if that goes forward.
Speaker 5: It's a it's a knock on.
Speaker 4: No com no come ahead, good boy.
Speaker 3: Question for you Lockie and listen.
Speaker 1: Right, So we've been obviously finding this guy really closely. Was he sevens level then at the Rebels and he has just come on massive in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Five with your blokes.
Speaker 1: What's been the key to Locke hitting that next level and then looking like maybe go a little bit further as well?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hope.
Speaker 7: So, like you said, of lucky enough to play sevens with Endo and the plaary was then to the player is today's you know, his journey has been unreal and you even look at how far he'd come in twelve months, he's been absolutely you know, he's touch and go whether he was in now starting twenty three at the start of the year and he's absolutely cemenity spot and he's been one of our best weekend week out and four trials on the weekend you know something no other corns and read in the rugby ere anyways, that's done.
Speaker 3: So it's yeah, really.
Speaker 7: Happy for him. He's worked hard, he's come into a system where he's had to work hard and his rugby IQ's improved as well, and that's health his game massively. He suits the way we want to play. He's taugh, he's abrasive and it's quick and they're all things that we needed from our backs. And you know, he's come in and been probably our best back to the honest week and week.
Speaker 2: Out, we could agree, well, that's a sure bump. Some bruises from the weekend. The most worrying post much seemed to be Harry Wilson. How's he tracking?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think he's I haven't actually seen him where. We're all kind of coming in at different times today, but all the reports there is that he's good. So might a little little bruise in a similar era, but nothing, nothing to sweat on, so we're expecting he'll be.
Speaker 1: All the Bruce Bruce, Bruce Bruce, He'll be good to go. Hey Tady, well done again mate on your golden Posty Award. Burkie is currently working through the Team move Back catalog for a couple of key rings for you and Fraser, so that you can open up certain doors that others might not be able to do. Us a favor, get us a result against the Crusaders.
Speaker 2: Friday please come party too hard.
Speaker 7: Yeah, jeers Guye, thank you very much. Tally appreciate him.
Speaker 1: Yes, I could get some time there with Tate McDermott. Fellas. That's a wrap on our show. We're back tomorrow with the Big Guy both extra. He is just desk him out to handle the four of us.
Speaker 5: Man, he's got a few stories.
Speaker 3: He's a good man. He's a good man.
Speaker 1: It'll be a great show as well, so we will see you all again for between two posts extra with the great One Owen Finnigan