Speaker 1: On two gb at network stations. This is Afternoons with Michael McLaren.
Speaker 2: Well it is, and what an afternoon is going to turn out to be. It will be very, very busy between now and three o'clock. A lot going on around the world, and for a Friday, it does seem to be incredibly busy newsday. Indeed, we will do our best to be across it for you between now and three o'clock. Of course, talk radio is always local, but we start by looking international. And I've been warning that this would happen for months and months, as you know, and here we are. Israel has launched a series of strikes on Iran, targeting their nuclear infrastructure and military sites, particularly missile sites. The Prime Minister benjaminette Yah, who in a televised address to his people, said that Israel was at a decisive point in its history and was forced to act. The reason being they want to stop Iran from bridge a nuclear weapon in a very short time. So said this was always going to happen. Iran was simply not willing, it seems, to hold back their nuclear ambitions and there was no way on God's Earth that Israel was going to allow them to put a nuclear warhead on the end of a missile. Weren't going to allow it. Now, you know, in the West, we talk about red lines, and you know Obama was talking about red lines in Syria and if they were crossed, we'd do something. And they were crossed and we did nothing. Benjamin Ettnya, who's a different kind of leader. So he says, you do this and there will be a consequence. In fact, I tee what, We're not even going to let you do it. If you look like you're getting close to doing it, we'll preemptively act. And he's done it. The world now holds its breath and awaits what Iran's response will be. Irana capable of a significant response, it's whether they're willing to go there and then risk the retaliation, which may be more than just from Israel. That is going to be what the Mullers and the Iranian political figures are mulling as we speak. They would have wargamed this, just as its reporter that Israel had been preparing for this for weeks, if not months. But in his address to the Israeli public, Benjamin Etya, who said our brave pilots are attacking a large number of targets across Iran, making clear that the targets were Iran's nuclear infrastructure, Iran's ballistic missile factories, and Iran's military capabilities. Now, on face value, I think most people in the Western hemisphere would say, well, this is probably good. If Israeli going to take out Iran's nuclear capabilities and missile capabilities and the rest of it, that's good. At least someone's going to do it, because those capabilities then transported over borders and put in the hands of people like Hamas and Hezbollah and the Houthis have created chaos, not just in the Middle East but around the world. Look what the Houthies have been doing to world trade going through the Red Sea. You know, we can't allow it to continue. And so Israeli doing I think what a lot of people wish that most other Western countries would do, and that is try to bring it into this But the question is can they contain it? That is the fallout? What's going to come next? Iran will respond, they can't not respond. When and how is the question. And Jerusalem as we speak, warning of immediate retaliation from Tehran. I'm not sure to be immediate but they'll be doing something. They'll be plotting something in revenge. Of course any nation would. So let's see what happens. This is the big story today, it'll be the big story for a while. International flights will be diverted from the region. Before the news came through, you might have been watching cable news as I was, and before the news came through, which was probably about I reckon about twenty past ten Australian Eastern time that the Israelis had struck Iran or I think in fact, the first news coming through was that explosions had been reported around Tehran. About ten or fifteen minutes before that, there were reports of the price of crude oil increasing, and so I wonder if it took a little while for the news to get to us about what had happened. But within the Middle East people were pretty clear about what was happening and the traders started making their moves. Certainly, in the space of the week, crude oil is up nine percent. It will go up even further in the hours ahead. So there will be an impact to you as the motorist, as well as airlines and all of those others. I'm sure the airlines have hedged their bets, and they've hedged pricing, and they've got long term contract. But nonetheless all of this will filter through financially across the world in the week or so ahead at the very minimum, So brace for imp that's the point. And of course, as we've seen, whenever Israel gets involved in any geopolitical matter, whether it's justified or questionable, increasingly in western countries like here, like in the United Kingdom, like in the United States, the internal political situation is ruptured, protests go onto the streets. What should be an issue that in some ways is geographically very removed from US becomes immediate to us, and our own societies start to fracture. And this is something that the Australian government and state governments in course policing services are going to have to be across as well. If this thing gets pretty hot, and it might, we are going to see some pretty significant action on our streets as different groups in different communities again go out there to take sides. I just hope that the response from authorities is better than it has been in the past should that happen. So we've got all of that and will be across it for you between now and three. Fortuitously, actually Alexander down To, the former Foreign Minister, is going to be my special guest. In the first hour, we were going to be speaking about Orcust, and we will because that's another big story when it comes to security. But I will obviously ask Alexander Downer about this situation and getting to put the old Foreign minister's hat on again and just try to channel what he would be thinking and doing as an Australian foreign minister, but also one that's plugged into Western alliances, including with Israel at this time. If he were in the big chair after one o'clock, we'll try to leave all that aside for a minute and do something a bit different, and I'll be really looking forward to speaking with Ian Baker Finch, one of the great Australian golfers of all time. Now there's a new biography and authorized biography about ean out It's called Ian Baker Finch To Hell and Back. And his was a story in many ways emblematic and typical of so many golfers of his generation. One they came out of Queensland. They almost all came out of Queensland in the nineteen eighties and the nineteen nineties. It was extraordinary. When you think Peter sr Ian Baker, Finch, Wayne Grady, Greg Norman, Carrie Webb, Adam Scott, and I mean you think about a lot of our great golfers. They're off in Queensland. I don't know what it is about the golf courses there, but it seems to breed top quality golfers who can match it with the best around the world on the international stage. And it's a story about working at pro shops and earning forty dollars a week for sixty hour weeks and getting lifts from mates to tournaments and all the rest of it before eventually, of course, making it internationally. And there was that incredible win at Royal Birkdale in nineteen ninety one. He got to lift the claret jugg he won the Open. But then it sort of went downhill and he resurrected himself outside of the golf course, but with golf still as the core of his story as a commentator, and he's now very well regarded and respected and I think very well paid all around the world being a leading golf commentator at the Masters and all of the great tournaments. You think is with CBS, so looking forward to speaking with Ian and learning a bit about his life story. After one o'clock'll be here from domain. We've got Friday food. Of course, We've got the wonderful team from Sweet bell M And if you know the Inner West, you know Portugal, you know Sweet Belem is an institution. They have fantastic Portuguese sweets. So Jose Silver will be joining me from there, and I think we'll have all the locusts come down the corridor, of course when they arrive, because all the sweet treats will come and it's amazing, you know. We almost see nobody during the day here. Generally they're all in their own silos doing their own thing. But sort of Friday food about ten past two on a Friday, even people I don't think you worky, but just happen to be in Piermont or something, turn up and eat and then they leave. One of those sort of things. And obviously we'll keep you up to date with news and finance. The finance world'll be interesting to watch with everything going on, so stay with us. There'll be plenty happening. One three, one, eight, seven, three, eighteen past twelve. Well, look this one didn't get much attention, but yesterday the new South Waleses Order to General released his report into the regulation of poker machines. Now, the report, by the government's own admission, had a particular focus on harm minimization, but the takeaway message was pretty clear, as the Order to General himself wrote, quote, the Department and the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority are not supporting harm minimization outcomes effectively. Now, the report does say the relevant Department has developed a strategy that outlines its priorities in this space. However, and I quote, the strategy does not have a significant focus on the areas that are considered high risk for gambling harm and does not set any targets for reducing harm associated with gaming machines. Now, I think you'd say that's hardly your ringing endorsement of the status quo. Let alone the men's government rhetoric about doing everything they can to limit the of problem gambling across this state. Now, as you said, a couple of weeks ago, the former Premier Dominic Perrete went to the twenty twenty three election promising radical reform in this space, including I think cashless technology, but he lost Peter Dutton led the charge to rain in the gambling advertising that smothers the broadcast of live sport, but obviously he also lost. And like many gamblers, Chris Mens might be a tad superstitious and is no doubt aware of the saying that things happen in threes. Perhaps that explains his lukewarm approach to gambling reform. I don't know. I don't know, but there's no doubt this state is saturated with poke machines and that's not Chris Mens's fault. But he's now in the big chair and he's got the authority to do something about it. And I think most sensible people agree something has to be done now. The auditor's report says New South Wales has significantly more poker machines than all other Australian jurisdictions combined. I mean, does that seem rational? According to the ABC, the same report also says the number of machines has increased since the Men's government took office, that is, despite legislative provisions that aim to reduce that number. Clearly the provisions aren't working. And considering we've got the world's second greatest number of poker machines outside of Las Vegas. The fact that the whole industry only has twelve gambling inspectors on the job defies my belief. Now, to make matters worse, all twelve are based in Sydney, despite rising concerns about the increase in poker machine addiction in places like Newcastle and Wollongong and other regional centers. Now, for their part, the government released a list of initiatives that they've rolled out and they claim will help, including the introduction of responsible gambling officers in venues with more than twenty gaming machine entitlements, the banning of external signage that you know, those silly dragon things or whatever that were luring the gamblers in. But not many are convinced they're really trying too hard in this space. And the one group that's surprisingly vocal in its criticisms is actually Union's New South Wales. They describe the government's efforts to reduce poker machine numbers as woefully inadequate. Now. As Mark Murray, the secretary of Union's New South Wales says, quote, supply creates demand and in turn misery. And while the government congratulates itself on administrative changes families in Fairfield are losing three two hundred and twenty five dollars per adult annually on poker machines. That's new South Wales Unions words not mine now, the Unions, I think hitting on something that you'd think the Labour Party be more attuned to, and that is the disproportionate impact that these machines are having on their traditional voting base in Southwest Sydney. But then again, maybe the gaming lobby is more a frightening entity to stare down than the voters every four years because, believe me, Macquarie Streets basic do nothing approach to the proliferation of poker machines and the harm they're doing out there. It's got nothing to do with libertarian ideology or desire to celebrate the concept of personal agency or none of that. Those concepts are foreign to the Labor Party. Actually, to be fair, they're foreign to most politicians and the public service. It'll be more about fear of the gaming lobby than anything else. Now. In the meantime, despite thousands of people having the occasional and yes safe flutter, thousands more will continue to lose their homes, their life savings, their marriages, and in some cases their lives, as the powerful pull of the pokies surrounds them in almost every pub and club across the state. And the sad truth is, despite everyone knowing what these things are doing in the saturation levels that they exist, no one in a position to do anything about it is really it seems keen to act. Apparently, they call this leadership. Could it be with you? One three one eight seven three on this Friday? A little bit of cloud out there. I think we are expecting a bit of rain later. I'll give you a full weather update about an hour from now. Thank you for all the feedback. I think that the thing where the poke's resonated with some anyway, This one from Ann who says brilliant. I wonder what the Premiere, or indeed any politician would do if someone close to them had the gambling problem, just keep talking and doing nothing. I doubt it. Yeah, well, look, I was half tempted to write that in the editorial myself, but I don't know the circumstances and of the cabinet ministers, the Premier or anybody. They may indeed have people close to them with a gambling addiction. I mean chances are they probably know someone. I mean everybody I would assume knows someone directly or indirectly with a gambling addiction. But the problem is when you're in a position to do something about it and you sort of you tinker at the edges, but the significant reform is missing, then you know you're not really trying. And I suspect it's because they fear the gaming lobby. I mean, that's my only suspicion. I mean, what else could it be. Every sensible person knows and I have the inner libertarian streak I think which comes out and as I said, personal agency people. I would love a world where people could just walk past the gaming room and not put their home deposit through the slots over four nights. But that's not the real world. There's a lot of people who are addicted, and okay, there's avenues they can get help in the rest of it. But we as a community, via our government, aren't helping the real world that we live in. When we saturate the joint with these machines, you know, that's just We've got Queen of the Nile every three meters in Sydney. It doesn't help, and it's crazy it's ridiculous, and it's the labor heartland that's getting belt of the worst, and yet the Labor Party aren't really that active in this space. I don't understand why this is that. I can only suspect that it's the a fear the lobbyists that knock on their doors in Macquarie Street more than they fear the wrath of the voter. Every four years. They assume that the issue will come and go and come the election will be cost of living or to be metros or something like that. And the whole thing about poke machines. They won't worry me. They'll vote for us anyway, and they probably will. And so you know, as a politician, you weigh up the lesser of the two evils. So I guess that's what's going on. But that's not leadership. And this isn't good for the state. It's not good for the individuals affected, it's not good for GDP, it's not good for anything. I'm not saying banned poker machines. I mean, my grandmother played poker machines and she played them safely. She didn't have a problem. She was lucky. A lot of people do have a problem, and yet we have just flooded the space with these and continue to add to them despite some legislative provisions which the Orders to General Report said are in place, which clearly are not delivering in the reduction of machines. So you know, I suspect Chris Minds has said, well, look, Peter Dutton had this on the agenda, he got flogged. Dominic Perrete had this certainly on the agenda. He got flogged. I don't intend to get flogged. Maybe he's the smart one has learned the political lesson one three one eight seven three. The situation in Iran Axios has some interesting insights here, making the point that the US notified several of its allies in private yesterday that's Thursday, that Israeli strikes were imminent, and they made clear it was not involved. That is, the Americans were not involved. This is from a source familiar with the discussions. Now, as I was saying to some of the team here, the Israelis will have informed the Americans that they were going to do this. They have that relationship. They wouldn't do it unilaterally to the extent that they do it without American prior knowledge. And as Daniel and others have reminded me on the text, it was just yesterday, or was at the day before, perhaps that the Americans decided that they would be removing non essential staff out of the American embassy in Iraq. Now perhaps they've come out of other places in the Middle East as well. And Donald Trump was asked by the media, why are you taking the families and non essential staff out of these embassies and the answer was something like, well you'll see soon, words to that effect. So the Americans have been told by the Israelis we're going to hit them, and the Americans said it seems okay, well you can do it, but we're not going to get involved. And so Israel have struck, and now we await what the Iranian response is. Benjaminette and Yahoo has said that the planning had in fact been underway for months, and the planning being to simultaneously strike Iran's nuclear and missile programs. So, okay, hit it where the problem is nuclear, but at the same time, try to hit as hard as you can their ability to retaliate, and they will use missiles to retaliate, but the Israelis will be I think quietly confident that they can hold them out because they have smashed Iran's proxy armies that surround Israel itself in the form of smashing Hezbolla in southern Lebanon and smashing Hamas in Gaza in the West Bank, and so the Houthis are weakened in the south in Yemen, so Israel will feel they are stronger to do this than they would have been six or twelve months ago. There are some reports coming out by the way that one of the Revolutionary Guard's main men has been killed in these strikes as well. I believe that has been confirmed, and I'll bring you the details when I've got them in front of me. One three, one eight seven three. Alan says, you switched on. We talk in the West about red lines and crossing the lines and lines in the sand, but Trump and Bebie just get on with it. Action action, action, Well there is that, isn't there. Thank you, Ellen. I appreciate your note as always. Yes, so the individual that has been hit and killed in Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard course the commander in chief, So might at the top, General Husseini Salami sa Lami, the commander in chief of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. It's reported the CNN confirming this killed during Israel's avinight attacks. Multiple Iranian state media outlets of reported this. So General Hussein Salamei, the commander in chief of Iran's Revolutionary Guard, cause dead. So they've got him now. As for the oil situation, because this is how we'll pay immediately. US oil prices extended sharp gains overnight with Israel carrying out these strikes on Iran. As of nine to eighteen pm Eastern time, America oil was up eight point three percent. It's now up to seventy three dollars and seventy five cents US a barrel. Not that long ago. It was down in the high fifties or those sixties, I think. So crude is now on track for its biggest one day percentage increase since March twenty twenty two. And that's, of course when Russia went into Ukraine. So let's just see what happens with oil. But the price up eight point three percent in trading today. I believe now seventy three dollars seventy five US a barrel. That's twenty six to one. All right. Well to say there's a fair bit happening around the world would be an understatement. Obviously, we've got, from Australian point of view, this whole Orcust agreement front of mind. We've got our Prime minister heading to the United States and Canada, hopefully also for a bilateral meeting with the President of the United States and we can get some certainty and surety over ORCUS. But in among all of that, we've now got Israel striking nuclear facilities and missile facilities in Iran, and the world awaits the response, as does Israel. I wanted to turn to someone who understands the moving parts here because he's been here, he's done it. Alexander Downer, a former foreign minister, one of our greatest foreign ministers. He joins me on the line from the United States. Alexander, once again, thank you for your time.
Speaker 3: It's a great pleasure. Happy to talk to you.
Speaker 2: I mean, the circumstances are troubling. Let's get to UCAS later. Let's deal with the news now about what's happening in the Middle East. First. You know, the Middle East has never been a peaceful part of the world. When you were Foreign minister, it was always a hot house you know, that won't change. That's intergenerational and all of that. But this is an escalation unlike we've seen for quite a while, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It is a substantial escalation. I mean, it's been coming, I suppose because the Israelis have made it clear that if Iran were ever to get a nuclear weapon, that would be an existential threat for the Jewish people. And they put up with the Holocaust once, so they don't want another Holocaust, so they don't to stop it no matter what. And I mean, I'm not sure the Iranians have taken this sufficiently seriously. Really. I think they've operated on the basis that the Israelis wouldn't attack their facilities. But now they have. We'll see how much damage they've done. The Israelis have done. But more to the point, what will Run's Retaliat reaction be. Will they focus on Israel itself, which might be quite hard for them, they focus on the Western world or the whole world by closing off the states of Homuns so no oil can get out of the Gulf States into the international community, which would have a huge effect on the global economy.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's interesting Iran itself, though, because you know, we tend to talk about these countries Israel, Iran, whatever, homogeneous geopolitical blobs, but they're not. I mean, within Iran, there's a lot of anti government sentiment among the population. And of course you're there in the United States. The exiled Crown Prince of Iran is based in the United States, and he's been pretty active diplomatically the last couple of years, saying, look, you get me back on the peacock thrown and I'll open a run up to the west like Medad did. So the Mullers and the Revolutionary Guard, they're going to have to play their cards carefully here from within as well as from without, aren't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a very perceptive point. There's no doubt that the regime is on the whole pretty unpopular in Iran. Told that they wouldn't have more than around twenty percent support of the Iranian people. On the other hand, the Iranians are very proud people the Persians, if you like. They're very proud of their history and very proud of their culture, and many of them are very sophisticated people, and they will rally round the flag in a situation like this. They won't just blame me the leadership, but they have been very down on the leadership the public. I mean they, for example, do think that the leadership are wasting national resources supporting the so called Palestinian resistance because you know, the Iranians are Sheer Muslims and Palestinians are Sunni Muslims, so the public are a bit confused as to why they're supporting the Sundi Muslims.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's that old divide coming back now. In America, an acronym has bubbled up the last so many months. Taco Trump always chickens out. I don't think there's a corresponding acronym, Naco Netanya who always chickens out. No, I mean I was making this goes to your point earlier about maybe a run a little surprised that this has happened, because you know, I've been saying for months on air, Israel will strike a range nuclear facilities, not if it's win, and most people are that's rupture. Well here we are, because they can't countenance having a rival right beside them who has a nuclear warhead that can go straight into televiven blow the show up. They're just not going to allow that line to be crossed. Is there a lesson here for Western governments that talk about red lines and lines in the sand but don't follow through.
Speaker 3: There is, of course the decision. I'm trying to remember what year it was back in twenty fourteen, when twenty fifteen it might have been when the Syrian president has had used chemical weapons against his own people, and President Obama had already said that would be crossing a red line if that happened, and then decided not to do anything about it. You know, you can't do that in international diplomacy, just as you can't do that in dealing with people more generally. If you make a threat, you've got to be prepared to carry it out. Otherwise, don't make any threats. And the West has been vacillating and weak for a long time. It's been uncertain. It's been uncertain until more recently in Ukraine. It's been uncertain in dealing with the Middle East, in particular the Iranians, and though pretty uncertain in dealing with China. Whereas the West needs to rally and be decisive. This attack on Iran is going to be a huge test for the West whether they support what the Israelis have done, which is in defense of their very existence, or whether the West will start vacillating again. And I worry. I think they will start vacillating. They'll be critical of the Israelis and they'll think it's provocative and so on. But the Israelis live in a different environment. They live in an environment where they're very existence is a threat and they've got to deal with those threats.
Speaker 2: Is a philosophical or sociological question off the back of that for you, then, Alexander, why are we a bunch of vacillators our grandparents word? Why do we see the world now in shades of gray? I'm not saying black and white's always the answer, but I think I agree with you. In Western circles, be it from diplomacy all the way down to the shopping on the street, the average person doesn't seem to have a very a sense of right or wrong, or our place in the world or anything anymore.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's a great question. I mean, what was not my grandfather, but my father who fought against the Japanese in the Second World War. He was a prisoner of war for three and a half years in Changi, so he wasn't very successful, but nevertheless that they were the so called heroic generation, the brave generation. Then we had the Cold War, and we thought there was a right and a wrong, a moral and a moral about the free world versus the communist world. We won the Cold War, and then after that we started to wobble, and there are several things that did that. The spread of democracy.
Speaker 4: Didn't work as well as we'd hoped.
Speaker 3: For example, in Afghanistan and Iraq. There was the global financial crisis in two thousand and seven two thousand and they, and I think those two events in particular undermined the confidence of the West, and the West started to fracture somewhat after that. So when President Putin first attacked Ukraine, that wasn't so recently, that was in twenty fourteen, that was eleven years ago. I mean, the West didn't do very much about it. And yet President Putin took over Crimea and took over quite a big percentage of the country. So the West became uncertain and hesitant and less robust and less morally convinced of its cause. And I don't think that's changed much. I mean, people don't any longer think standing up for liberal democracy and the free market economic system and so on is a moral cause. They don't look at it in that way. That's one of the reasons why we've become less robust. And also our politicians have reflected this change in public opinion. Maybe they've failed to show any real leadership, but they've just become followers of opinion polls rather than leaders in recent years.
Speaker 2: Okur with that point. Finally, then to what we were actually going to talk about before it all was turned upside down about two hours ago. The Orcus arrangements. I mean, you've been speaking with the relevant people behind the scenes. You've got great clout as a former foreign minister. I mean I suspect that this whole review is one. It's a stock standard practice when administration's changed too. It's probably part of the financial shakedown. In my opinion, get a bit more money out of the Aussies and we'll give what they need. But what's your take. Orcus still going to go ahead in all three pillars, but maybe we'll have to dig a little deeper into our pockets or something.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: I think the UCUST will go ahead, there's no question of that. And the US administration certainly supports AUCUS. There's one aspect of it which is controversial in Washington, particularly in the Pentagon, and that is selling Australia Virginia class submarines from twenty thirty two. I think it is selling US two or possibly even three of those, which means the US four goes having those submarines. They come under Australian command rather than American command. So there will be a debate about that. I mean, we should be arguing that it's in America's interest to have a strong, potent Australian defense force as a reliable and solid ally of the United States, contributing to the balance of power in the Indo Pacific region and therefore the peace of the region. But whether that argument will fly with everybody in the pent and that's an open question. But I August will go ahead, there's no question of that. The suggestion that they're going to abandon UCUS is nonsense. But the sale of the Virginia class submarines, well.
Speaker 4: That could be delayed, it could be changed.
Speaker 3: Or it might just go ahead as planned, and I hope it does go ahead as planned.
Speaker 2: When the problem is you've got to have submarines to sell, and at this point in time they don't, and even with the third production runway they may not.
Speaker 3: Exactly so that I think I've got the figures right here. They're producing one point two Virginia class nuclear power submarines a year has gone. Regard to that, administration regards that as too few. Therefore, why would you sell a couple of them to the Australians. However, they are, as you quite rightly say, going to restroduction, and if they get their production up beyond two or possibly to as some people hope to as many as three year, then that will become less of a problem from my point of view.
Speaker 2: I've soaked up plenty of your valuable time. Thank you for being generous, Alexander, and to have a good afternoon or evening your time.
Speaker 3: It's saveing, yes, thanks, good to talk.
Speaker 2: To you you two as always, Alexander down to the former foreign minister. It's ten to one. Well at six and a half minutes to one. Just by chance, of course, we editorialized about the situation of poke machines in this state. There was a bit of a question starting to bubble through the media earlier today as to where the Crown Casino would be granted poke machine licenses. Of course it doesn't have them at this point in time. But if the star hits the skids, well then where are the poke is going to go? All this sort of thing. Well, the Sydney Morning Herald reporting that the Premiere has just ruled out allowing Crown Resorts to have poke machines that at Sydney Casino, insisting that the government would not change the gaming giants strict operating life. Since so the Premier said, no, Crown, you're not going to get poker machines. As the Herald reports, Crown Resorts executives have been lobbying MPs and a push to have poker machines at the Barangaroo site, buoyed by an encouraging meeting. It says here with the New South Wales Gaming Minister David Harris, Crown not permitted to operate poker machines that at Sydney Casino under its license with the New South Wales government, and allowing the company to operate them would require legislative change. It does look as though that change will not be happening. I think that's sensible, mind you, Some would say well, you know the Crown casinos that were pretty much off limits to Australian citizens. It will Sydney. You know, it's mainly for the international players, so you know, if they want to lose their money in the Pokeys, well then why don't we take a few that are taking money out of the Aussies and put them in there. But anyway, that's not going to happen, so the takeaway messages Crown will not be getting poker machines. End of story for now. Five to one. I don't know what it's like outside now, but when I was coming in earlier, was sill pretty cold. It's like a bloody ice chest in this building. I wish someone had invest in it. Can I win one of those heaters Mark was giving away? It's cold in here. Speaking of cold things though and winter and whatnot, Get set Sidney because two GB's winter wheel. Let's start spinning on Monday. Maybe I better have a spin and win. We're turning up the heat. We're up to forty thousand dollars worth of cash prizes. To be one. Now, all you got to do is listen across the day for your chance to spin the wheel. You could be warming up your winter with cold hard cash and prizes. We're spinning the wheel in breakfast mornings here on afternoons and Clinton's got a turn with Sydney now two GB's winter Wheel that starts spinning from Monday, so don't miss out. All you got to do is stay listening to Sydney's two GB. It's that easy and you could, well you could win part of forty thousand dollars worth of cash and prizes. I'd be having a go if I was. You Just listen, just listen, so easy. We're going to take the news and straight after that, Ian Baker Finch.
Speaker 1: Now onto GB and network stations, back to afternoons with Michael McLaren.
Speaker 2: Well of course for lovers of Goldfall Eye at the moment, are on the Oakmont Country Club for the one hundred and twenty fifth US Open. It's a tournament. My next guest knows well. He's one of the nice guys, an Australian golfing champion, and his continuities career in the industry in the form of commentary across the majors, including the Masters. I am talking about Ian Baker Finch. His professional career began on the Australian Tour back in nineteen seventy nine and across the eighties and the nineties, Ian Bakervinch was a household name. He won seventeen titles worldwide. The most famous victory the apex, of course, was winning the Open at Royal Birkdale in nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 6: And there it is.
Speaker 7: Ian Baker Finch is the champion for nineteen ninety one sexty four sixty six, for the last two days, tremendous golf, a great Dave for Australia, first and second Burkenell belongs to them.
Speaker 8: The Open Championship is to me the most special event in my life.
Speaker 9: Just to plan it great thrill.
Speaker 8: To do well in it is fantastic, but to win it is a dream, not.
Speaker 2: A bad story from a boy from Beewer, outside of the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. And Ian's life story has been put to page with the help of Jeff Saunders. It's the new authorized biography. It's titled Ian Baker Finch To Hell and Back. And you know it tells the story of the highs and the lows, the challenges and yeah, the lucky breaks that were the hallmark I think actually of many an Australian golfer from that era, because of course, when you think about the Ian Baker Finch era, it was also the era of Wayne Grady to an extent, it was the era of Greg Norman. It was the era of many of these golfing names which we now venerate in the Australian pantheon of great golfers. As I said, one of the best is with me Ian Baker Finch on the line from the United States. A privilege to speak with you, en, and thank you for your time.
Speaker 9: Thank you very much, Michael. Good to be able to talk to you.
Speaker 8: And I'm not actually at the Open at Oakmont this week.
Speaker 9: It's a week off for CBS.
Speaker 8: We do the Masters and the PGA, but I am watching from afar and watching them all struggle like we always used to. And US Opens they tend to make those courses as difficult as possible.
Speaker 9: But always good to be with you. And I can't wait to get home.
Speaker 8: I get home for three or four months at the end of every year for our Australian golf summer and just can't wait to get back.
Speaker 2: Do you still consider Queensland home? I mean you spend a lot of time in the States now obviously, and golf took you around the world, but it's Queensland. Ber Is that still home to you?
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, Australia's home. Queensland's home or my family are there. I'm the youngest of six kids and that's where home is. And I don't spend all my time in Queensland. I spent a lot of time in Melbourne because the Australian Golf Center is in Melbourne, near across the road from Royal Melbourne, and I play at Kingston Heath a lot, my favorite course in the world. So yeah, I'm home all around Australia and yes it's still considered home after all these years.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to the start Queensland. As I said, there's a fascinating something in the water. I don't know what it is with Queensland with sport in general, but when you look at golf and this was all brought to me by reading this biography. The last four decades, Queensland golfers have won fourteen of our nineteen major championships. They finished runners up twenty one times in the majors. In the same period. Of course, Norman's Open win in eighty six. But then you look at where all of you guys came from, Beerway, air Bow Desert, these sort of places. I mean, they're not flash of richie suburbs in Brisbane or anything. But champion after champion of this year from the eighties through to Adam Scott in the twentieth first century all came out of Queensland. What is it about Queensland?
Speaker 8: You tend to prosper wherever the competition is, and we all had great competition through those years. You mentioned a few of my peers in Wayne Grady and Greg Norman, Pete, Peter mcgwinney, Jeff Woodland, so many really really top quality players of that era or from Queensland. You can't forget obviously Cari Webb, an icon of Australian golf and probably possibly our best Australian player ever. But I think we just grew up on rough and ready courses. We had great competition, but we also had to figure out how to play the best golf we could on the courses that were presented to us. So whenever we got on tough conditions, we always prospered. And if you look at the Open Championships and the Masters when the weather was tough. If you look at all of the Australians performances when the tough conditions presented themselves, the Aussies always did well. And I think in Queensland that was we went to Melbourne to learn how to put on fast greens because our greens were slow in Queensland. But the conditions were always very, very difficult and harsh, and we taught ourselves to play.
Speaker 2: You said, Curry Web could well be our greatest golf forever. That's true. The other name out of the two, the other would of course be Peter Thompson. He was a great mentor to you. And there was a beautiful anecdote in the book in the eighty four Open, and you were leading after three rounds and he comes out of the crowd. It was his swan song over there at the Great Course in Scotland at s Andrews, and he comes out and he puts his arm on your shoulder and gives you a bit of advice. But right throughout your career Peter Thompson was there, wasn't he.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he took a liking to me for whatever reason he thought I had what it took to perform at a high level. I don't really know what that was that he saw, but I believed in myself a lot more having him by my side and helping me through. He gave me lots of great wisdom. Hopefully I can pass that on and have passed that on to young players of the other eras he's still Jeff Saunders who wrote the book, and he wrote the book, as you've read, it's a great story of golf of my era, not necessarily just about me, and I think that's the best thing about the read itself, and I hope everyone appreciates that when they do read it, that it's not just a me Me me III type of biography. It's I am set in the middle of a great era in golf, and Peter Thompson was.
Speaker 9: Really the mentor for many.
Speaker 8: It's certainly the main reason I got to be where I am today, and the effort that he put into me and the learnings that I achieved through Peter have stood me in great stead.
Speaker 9: I'm sixty five.
Speaker 8: At the end of the year, and I owe a lot to Peter Thompson for where I am today and what I've been through.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's anecdotes in the book, of course about how he got you to change your feet positioning and you swing at all of these technical things in golf. But one of the I think the best advice you seemed to give was to say, I think was in nineteen eighty three, if I'm not mistaken, go to New Zealand. And you did that and you won in Auckland, and that was that was the breakthrough, really, wasn't it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he said, he gains in good shape.
Speaker 8: I just finished runner up at the Open Championship at Kingston Heath Australian Open, and he said, go over to New Zealand and make sure you keep going, keep playing, play on those sorts of courses. They're a good test for you. I think you'll do well. That's where I started, et cetera. And I just spent three weeks over in New zeal And. I can't like to get back there. It rekindled an old friendship and Jeff Saunders is from there, the author, and we've become really good mates over the last three or four years writing this book. We basically finished it nearly a year ago, but it's being released now and it was a labor of love, just remembering all those old, great times and great stories.
Speaker 9: It's a fun.
Speaker 2: Read, beautiful stories. And as I said, you've made this point yourself in it's not just about you. You're You're the golden thread that runs through it, and the highs and the lows and everything. But I guess it's made a forick of the story of all of the others beat Wayne, Grady or all of the other names that are peppered throughout the book regularly that this is about an era of Australian golf, an era that seemed to have its catalyst often in Queensland, but nonetheless an era. And there's just the beautiful anecdotes about when you went to Europe the first time with all of them as long as like a Kentiki too. For golfers in nineteen eighty four. You know you're there, You've got a van and there's and you're living in some farm cottage. You're having your state kidney pies down at the local pub before the tournament and you're all there. You know, there's one bath. And I mean the golfers of today, I think a lot of them at the top level, they'd be removed from that kind of existence. Yes, but that was nineteen eighty's golf, wasn't it.
Speaker 8: Yes, one hundred percent. There wasn't any money. You know, if you had a great year, you won fifty thousand dollars and it costs you that much to travel around the world. Yeah, my brother was my accountant the first few years. I played, from eighteen years of age to twenty two, and every year it'd say.
Speaker 9: Well, you've done it again.
Speaker 8: You've earned ten thousand dollars and it cost fifteen thousand dollars to play.
Speaker 9: I don't know how you survived, but that's how we lived.
Speaker 8: And if someone had a good week in a good check, you know, we bought each other a steak dinner, and you know, someone shouted the beers at the bar if they had a good day, and it was just just a great camaraderie and matship. But once again, as I said earlier, the competition was so great amongst us all. That's why we became so good, because we were continually playing against top quality competition, not for much money, but playing for our lives basically, And that's what it was like in those days. And we all looked up to Greg because Greg sort of got ahead of that. He was the best in the world, and he wanted to be the best in the world, and he strove for that.
Speaker 2: Let's go to nineteen eighty four if we can, ok So Sonandrew's you're there. He's the first time you are professionally playing on that course. One hundred and fifty six players. You've got names like Tom Watson. I think he was meant to win it, of course, Jack Nicholas, Greg Norman, Lee, Trevino, Sevi Balisteros. You're rubbing shoulders with all these guys, not for the first time, but probably for the first time altogether on that particular course. What's it like as a young fella from Beerwa to be on that sort of a stage.
Speaker 8: Well, you certainly don't feel comfortable, because it's so different to be in the midst of the great players that you grew up revering and idolizing, to have a chance to play with them in the Open Championship. That was my goal was to play in an Open Championship, and the first time I played in eighty four, Peter Thompson and Graham Marsh and kel Nagel showed me around the course for three or four days beforehand, showed me the ropes and I went.
Speaker 9: On and led for three days.
Speaker 8: It was pretty amazing to be there with, as you said, Savvy and Tom and all of these great players. But Tom I had given me the self belief that, hey, if you're playing well and you can mix it with these guys, and he showed me around the course, so I knew the course well. I was very fortunate to have him on my side, that's sure. But it's so hard for a young guy coming from the bush to then all of a sudden be mixing it with those great players. But then as you start to progress and you start believing in yourself that's what it's all about, you then gain the confidence. And golf is a confidence game. And as you read through the middle of the book, when I lost my confidence, I no longer had that ability to play at that high level, although I still played well when it didn't really matter that much. So I talk about it all the time, and I've been doing so for more than twenty years. It's I can tell the guys when they're confident, and the you know they don't have both hands tightly held on the wheel. You can see the difference, and I have felt the difference. I think that's helped me in my years as a broadcaster as well well.
Speaker 2: Without doubt, I'm sure I mean that confidence. Think golf is as much of a sort of I guess, a physical technical game as it is a mental game. Often you're in the middle of a fair way, you're surrounded by a crowd, you've got a caddy, but really you're on your own. And throughout the eighties I was reading in the book, yet you were doing everything, reading everything you could get your hands on about the subject of positive thinking, gold setting. I think there was a Canadian Philo, Brian Tracy from memory. He put together a lot of stuff. You're absorbing all of that. Were you one of the first to take that side, that angle of the competition on the whole mental mindfulness aspect of it, or were there others also dabbling in that space in the eighties.
Speaker 8: There weren't many. I think Greg certainly was in a way in a different way. He didn't need help with self confidence. He was doing more zen stuff and breathing things, and he was a bit ahead of us in some ways. Wayne Grady was really in the goal setting, But I really believed in it and sort of took it to another level. That was I wouldn't listen to music in the car. I'd always have these tapes playing all the time when I read a book a week while I traveled. We didn't have podcasts and things like that in those days. It was a workman and tapes and books. So yeah, I think that helps certainly help me a lot. And I continued even through the bad times, trying to figure it out through books like that, so they don't always work. I think once again, a lot comes back to belief in yourself and confidence.
Speaker 2: I asked you about the eighty four British Open deliberately because you know you're striding down those incredible fair ways and I just wonder, if you're in the back of your mind all of that early stuff is coming through, you know, if it's a pinch me moment, you know, the years of being working in the pro shop, the years of getting the train being picked up in Brisbane by your mate so you can go to the tournament, you know, the less flash side of the build up to that moment. Does that all come flooding back in the moment.
Speaker 8: Not necessarily in the moment, but I think the ability to handle the moment comes from the toughening up of all of those things you mentioned. That was just a part of the process. Everything I'd gone through just meant that I had worked hard to get to where I was and helped build the confidence and helped build a self belief. But it's not like I'm walking down the last whole thinking, boy, I'm so glad I made that bus trip at four every morning to get to the tournament. So that sort of thing, you're not really thinking about it.
Speaker 9: It was more the memories of.
Speaker 8: Bringing all of that back in writing the book, and hopefully a lot of that comes through in the read. But at the time you're just focusing on the process of what you've got to do to be able to perform, and the confidence and the toughness and the resiliency is bred through that. You know, they say the toughest steel, the sharpest knives are forged in the hottest fires, right, And I think that that's a big case. And we talked about that with the Queenslanders. We grew up resilient and tough because of the conditions we had to play in.
Speaker 2: We mentioned them great names earlier. Sevi ballistros Tom Watson, whatnot. I bet none of their dad's built the local golf course.
Speaker 8: There, No, no, but it was. It was a wonderful experienced Dad and a few of the farmers just pushed up nine greens in white clay and dug a dam and dug a few drains to drain into the dam, planted some pine trees up and down the fairways. Beer or golf club as it's still played. It's eighteen holes now, but it was just nine back then. But some of the best times and memories of my young years in the late sixties driving down the farm from the farm to the course and the tractor six miles down the range from Beachester year some great times. Just another aspect of the story. That's a wow, you know, to people that don't know.
Speaker 2: It was a beautiful anecdote. As was the fact that you played cricket with Steve. Steve Irwin. No one, I don't think knew that. Yeah, the crocodile man.
Speaker 9: No, it was.
Speaker 8: It's funny that we all grew up in We all grew up in little areas like I grew up in Peachester.
Speaker 9: There was thirty five kids in our.
Speaker 8: School the cricket team started from grade threes up to grade sevens. Right Lands for School where Steve Irwin went had about one hundred kids, so they had a better team, probably just grade sixes and sevens, but the best of those young players back then we formed the Sunshine Coast Sea grade cricket team and Steve Irwin was I believe two or three years two years younger than me. But we had a team of team of cricketers that were all between twelve and fifteen and we won the flag that year. I wasn't there for the grand finale because I was winning a tournament in Brisbane, so there's a picture of us all there with a little sign that says absent Ian finch yep. But through the season it was a lot of fun and Steve Irwin was a real character. He used to go hunting for snakes when he was twelve years of age.
Speaker 2: Not much changed before I ask you about Wesley and Baker Wins today. In conclusion, let's just go right back to the start. We all know the Bradman story right The cricket stumped the golf ball. The water tank, practice, practice, practice made the better part of perfect. What was the en Baker Finch genesis.
Speaker 8: I would say it started with the love of golf by caddying for my dad and going down and building that golf course when I was seven eight nine years of age, but a cousin, my cousin Ian, gave me an old nine iron. He didn't play golf, but he'd found one in the garage that was from sort of nineteen forties era, and it was a forty five degree nine nine. And I learned to chip and pitch and hit shots and whatever with this nine nine around the farm, and I think I got really really good at just being me and being good with the short game from that time where I just had this nine nine, And even when I got my first set of clubs when I was twelve, it was a three five seven iron, a putter, and a two wood, and that old nine nine came with me and that was my lob wedge, my sand wedge, my pitching wedge, it was it was everything. So I think that was the start of it. I took myself to how to play with that one club, and then I had a lot of help along the way from a lot of different people, a lot of different PGA pros and certainly from Peter Thompson, one of the best ever players to help me along as well. So just very fortunate to come from a tiny little logging town up in the.
Speaker 9: Ranges of the Sunshine Coast to now.
Speaker 8: About to retire, I guess, and you know, I've had a pretty pretty good life as a golfer and then as a broadcaster. I've got two beautiful girls, two lovely grandchildren, another one on the way. I've been a blessed man you have.
Speaker 2: And the nineteen ninety one Champion Golfer of the Year, something that very few people can ever claim they were, yet many many aspire every Saturday when they go and play their matches. It's been a real privilege of mine to speak with you and thank you for all of your time. It's been really generous of you, and congratulation on really an extraordinary life and an extraordinary career.
Speaker 9: Thank you very much. Mike, You're a good man. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: That's my absolute pleasure. In Baker Finch the book is cool to Helen back. It's a damn goodread. We'll get to the news in just a moment. Really, I really enjoyed just speaking with Ian Baker Finch, hope you enjoyed listening. A lot of the feedback suggests you did. Thank you for that. I'm getting reports from Lee of a substantial hole in the road southbound Prince's Highway. Now, this is right near the Rockdale Library. I think TMC Transport Management set. It's saying the middle lane has been closed here because of this site. Look a substantial hole in the road. I don't know what it is, but it looks like I could do some damage to a shock absorber or attire at least. So Lee, thank you for getting in touch. If you're down around that part of town and you've just gone past you, can you give us a buz and let us know exactly what we're dealing with here. Substantial hole in the road southbound Princess Highway near the Rockdale Library. According to Lee, it's about a meter by meter and a half, probably about half a foot deep to a foot deep. That'll do some damage. So I think the middle lane has been closed there. But further details I'll bring them to you. Speaking about further details, further details continue to come through from what's happened with Iran. As we said earlier, the Israelis have targeted the military. Well, yes, nuclear sites, but also some missile sites in the like CNN reporting that the facility, this is Iran's main uranium enrichment facility, is now engulfed by flames. This is according to social media images that have been re located by CNN and Iranian state television. The nuclear complex in Natants. It's about two hundred and fifty kilometers south of Tehran. It's considered Iran's largest uranium enrichment facility. It houses the country's advanced nuclear program. Analysts say that the site has used to develop and assemble centrifuges for uranium enrichment, obviously a key technology that turns uranium into a nuclear fuel. But social media video geolocated by CNN shows smoke rising from the direction of that facility, and some videos that have been posted online show large plumes of smoke billowing high into the sky from that complex. So whatever munitions the Israelis have views seemed to have been effective here. And Iran's main uranium enrichment facility, that is the main one we know of, is engulfed by flames three one eight seven three. So there's a lot of news around today and Aaron Mar's got all of it for us.
Speaker 10: Hello Eric, Hello there, Michael.
Speaker 5: There will be no change to the ban on Crown Barangaroo from installing poker machines, the premiere ruling out legislative changes. Foreign Minister Pennywong says it appears there were no Australians on board Air India Boeing Dreamliner when it crashed shortly after take off. More than two hundred people on board and on the ground were killed. Three men of faced court accused of being involved in the targeted shooting of the home of the suspected Alamadine crime boss. It was hit just after he'd left, and state and federal health ministers are meeting today to discuss tough national regulations. After two bungles at Monash ivf in Sport, Australian equestrian star heath Ryn's been suspended after a video emerged that appears to show him repeatedly striking a horse with a whip. The sixty six year old olympian defended the incident in a statement, saying it was part of a rescue mission to rehabilitate a problem horse. And there'll be more news at two o'clock on afternoons.
Speaker 1: Oh, weather update, we'll be here to help in unexpected weather.
Speaker 6: Nrmain Insurance a help company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I say, chower or two on the way for Sydney today top of just sixteen degrees. They we'll get maybe six mil of rain when it does come through. No rain here at the moment, but looking west it is getting a little grain dark. Seventeen the top for Pendrith today, Liverpool the same, Richmond seventeen, Campbelltown seventeen, Bondi sixteen, Paramatta sixteen, Terry Hills. Well, I don't know, I didn't pay the rent. Only fifteen today, shower or two tomorrow for the city top of seventeen they reckon maybe another three mill of rain could be another tickle up of a mill or so on Sunday partly cloudy though eighteen and then the sun should pop out from Monday handbra Today morning frost, partly cloudy conditions after that thirteen the top. Tugernong's the same minus two overnight. It'll get up to fourteen tomorrow though in Canberra should be dry, morning frost and part the cloudy conditions. Lithgo eleven today morning frost and then partly cloudy ten for Orange fourteen at Mudgie Bathist thirteen, Gotomber ten fifteen for Springwood today, though cloudy tomorrow at Lithgo twelve the top and then just eleven on Sunday, but should be dry, a bit of cloud around, a bit of sun, all in the mix. As I said, a top of eleven for our listeners through two LT one three, one eight seven three. You can keep the text coming. Thank you for those zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. Will take a break when we come back real estate with Ourlis and the team at Domains and now the real estate show. Yes, indeed, twenty two minutes to two, let's talk the bricks and mortar and everything in between. We do that on a Friday with our Stoltz of course from the team at Domain. And if you want a property valued as a number of you seem to want, just get in touch with us. There's a purpose built part off the web page under my name as well. You can fill out the form well just cause one three one eight seven three will grab your details, will pass on to Domain. They'll put together a price range for you. But let me just make this point that those figures are estimates only. And we've got to emphasize that the estimates are made without any firsthand inspections of the properties, all the interiors, that sort of thing. And if anyone listening wants an appraisal of their home, they should make their own independent inquiries through accredited independent valuers. With that said, Alice's the national property editor at Domain and she's on the line.
Speaker 11: Hello Alice, Good afternoon, Michael.
Speaker 2: Great to be with you and with you as we do, let's stick to tradition. We'll start with the Sydney auction clearance results. Fewer auctions this week than last, but nonetheless a pretty good clearance rate.
Speaker 11: Yeah, sixty six percent was the rate last weekend. Now, it was a pretty strong result, and we really are seeing these clearance rates kind of keep that upward trend that we've been watching throughout the early autumn so far this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, eight hundred and seventy seven auctions. I think the week before we were around the twelve hundred, so cooled down a little bit.
Speaker 11: Indeedwere we did have a long weekends and some people decide to put their feet up a bit rather than trying to sell their house or buy a house. Understandably, but they'll be ripe for pickings tomorrow, what seven hundred and seventy three auctions tomorrow, And I think, Michael, this is kind of that indicating that we're going into those to the sort of that winter hiatus a little bit, so we'll start to see listings plato probably now maybe even dip a little bit further. So we're watching that downward trend as we head into the caller month.
Speaker 2: Okay, now we're into June obviously, so let's look back at the entire month of May. You've got the market insights for the month of May. What are the numbers telling us?
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, clearance roats rose on average to sixty six percent in Sydney. Now interestingly, also, auction volumes roast their highest level since twenty twenty one for the month of May. Now, as I said, normally that winter would sort of things would sort of ease somewhat, but they're certainly not up until now. And we look at the month of May, a new supply has jumped over the months thirty five percent, and it's also higher annually, and it's the strongest volume on record for the month of May. So it's quite interesting that trend that we're having people actually having that sort of burst of activity before they do batton down the hatches for the winter.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, as you know, we always invite people to call in and they want their property valued or they've got a real estate related question. We had a call late last week from Trent. I bring Trent in, We've got him back on the line. He had a question about investment. Essentially, is a better than b Trent? Good afternoon to you.
Speaker 12: I get a Michael, Hello, Alice, how are you?
Speaker 10: We're both Trent.
Speaker 2: Both Well, now you were thinking about I think the question remind me if I'm wrong, but was investing in a unit in Manly will that have been smarter than a property out at Beaumont Hills? Is that basically what the question was.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Well, Domain and Alice have done the numbers. Alice, what's the algebra telling you on that?
Speaker 11: Well, from an emotional active trend, I think it's a con underment that many people roll over in their mind a lot. Should I bought this? Should I have bought that? What would have happened? But it's kind of a bit tricky to compare, and we're looking at housing and unit prices. However, why don't we have a go at it. Basically, the median unit price in Manly is around one point three million. That's up eighteen point six percent annually, So that's very considerable price growth, and you can see the desirability of an area like Manly continues now by what heals. The average house price there house again very different than the unit is one point eight million. That's up just one percent. So I think what we're seeing is clearly the desirability of areas like Manly continue to be very strong. I think a lot of it, though Trent, comes down to the idea that many people are now sort of being tipped into buying units because of affordability constraints, and we are seeing unit prices begin to rise more quickly than what house prices are. So I think in terms of what will do better, historically houses have performed better over time really because of that land volume that they offer the opportunity for someone. But I do think a unit can depend on the size of that unit, how many bedrooms it is, and also how much the infrastructure is changing around those areas, particularly in areas like Bowmont Hills. Those areas are really rapidly evolving, so what they are today may be different than another five or ten years time. So I'm not really answering your question there, Trent. But all that to say, if I knew the answer, we'll all probably be retired and sitting at home enjoying enjoying the spoilers of our property decisions.
Speaker 2: Just to throw a complicated factor into the mixed trend end also to you outless. Okay. So the median unit price in Manly is one point three million, that's up almost nineteen percent year on year. The meeting house price in Beaumont Hill's one point eight two five million. That's only up one point four one half percent. Okay, But then you look across the last five years, and most people make an investment for at least five years. The last five years, Manly's up thirty seven point nine as far as the value of a unit, I believe, But Beaumont Hills the houses are up sixty point seven percent. So could this be a short term v long term investment decision?
Speaker 11: I think that's definitely part of it. And we know that the time in the market is kind of the sweet spot when it comes to understanding the value that you can release out of property. But what's what would largely be pointing to that strong increase of a five years though, Michael, is the fact of people being pushed out further because of affordability and many people preferencing a house over a unit. And I think that's the point of it. A unit won'ts at everybody, whereas a house people are more willing to often compromise in the location for the fact they're getting a house alongside a bit of lands Trent.
Speaker 2: Back to you, because you're the catalyst for the question, it's a damn good question. If you were to invest in a Manly unit via Beaumont Hills house, is it to sell it eventually? Is that where you're trying to get your capital or are you happy to rely on the rental income?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 12: No, I'm happy to rely on the rental income at the moment. I've got a obviously the property in Vermont Hills as an investment, I'm just concerned in seven to ten years that meanly may be able to reach for me in that time. So I was just I was going to rent it out in between and then eventually probably move into it. So as a downsizer from my primary residence because.
Speaker 11: The yeah go al Well, I think when we look at forecasting or so, we do certainly know that areas such as Manly at this stage continue to sort of go in that upward trajectory. I don't think we're going to see prices plummet there, and I think the desirability for what that sort of area offers will maintain a high priority. Particularly is our cities swell and get bigger and bigger and bigger. So I think it comes down to that choice. But I think you're right to be I guess a little bit aware trend of just how quickly prices might continue to rise in those very high last dollar areas such as Manly.
Speaker 2: Because it's interesting, Olus your numbers the median gross rental yield Manly this is units three point four three percent, the equivalent for the property out of Beaumont Hill's two point six y nine percent. I mean, not massive returns either way.
Speaker 11: No, but I think if we also, if we do see Sydney house prices rise hugely over the next few years, and we're expecting them to rise, not necessarily hugely, so there's a few if said it, If they were to do what they've done over the past year, that number would change because people are going to be absolutely corralled out to more affordable parts of Sydney. So I think if we have confidence that prices will sort of putter along without going doing anything crazy, you know that growth won't probably change so much, but I just think they might. You know, Sydney's hovering around nearly one point seven million for the median house price in Sydney now, and I think if something there is turn of events or the market does go upwards sort of quite quickly, you know, people are going to be absolutely going out to Brenont Hills faster than what they're not than what they would be normally.
Speaker 2: I think that's right, Trent, well done, fantastic question, and I think it's one that whether it's manly in Beaumont Hills or you know something and somewhere else, is what a lot of investors a mulling over. So thank you for asking it. I do appreciate it. It is thirteen minutes to two. We'll come back after this. We've got a bit of an interior expert to join us. Give us a couple of tips and tricks to make the home not just better to live in but also potentially for sale. Straight after this, Alice Steltz whether as she is every Friday from Domain Alice, let's bring in Naomi Findlay here, interior designer to the Stars. There was an article the other day about picking colors, how important it is to pick the right colors. And this is more so if you're thinking of selling. But of course even if you're not thinking of selling, you're living in the joint and you want the atmosphere to be as conducive as possible to a good quality of life inside the home, and colours and change moods and all the rest of it. Naomi, thank you for your time.
Speaker 13: Oh, absolute pleasure. Thanks for asking me to comment on this one, something I'm quite passionate about, I.
Speaker 2: Know, hence why you're here right, So absolutely now, everyone wants to be an individual, and I think, you know, there's two kind of people out there. Generally, I think everyone who will just do it all white because that's safe and neutral, or you know, I really like vibrant priink. So let's go nuts. What's your advice to the man in the middle, as it were.
Speaker 13: Oh, look, I think that what's really interesting is we have been very trained to think that the main way we get color into our spaces is our walls, and so you know, we have been polarizing the world into the person that loves the greasy pink and the person who loves me all white. But there's so many other ways that the person that's sitting in the middle can, I guess, play with the concept of how color might affect them through so many other elements in the space, whether it's oversized art or oversized rugs. You know, you can kind of be safe, I guess, in playing that middle ground if you think outside of just paint.
Speaker 11: I think also, hi, Naomi, that another thing that I think that when we think about color and particularly painting for people, is understanding the problem that people are trying to solve in their house. For example, does the house feel small? Does my kitchen feel dated? Is my office messy? And from what I see looking at so many properties each day, is that that can actually be resolved through colors like that freshness that white can bring, but also that kitchen can date quite quickly if they've got that color that was kind of very much in vogue just even a few years ago.
Speaker 13: Absolutely that's that whole concept of future proofing, right that if we are going to be audacious with our color, we need to think about what impact it could have on the space, what thing it could fix, what thing it could make more difficult? And also am I going by future proof this?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 13: I think?
Speaker 11: I mean?
Speaker 13: I love this as much in ten or fifteen or even twenty years. You know when people talk about their bathrooms, I'm like, guys, this is a one in thirty year choice. So you know, like, you're right, you do need to think about future proving it and also about what it might compound or what it might fix for you.
Speaker 2: Just a question, Naomi read the colors again. You mentioned we all sort of fixate on the walls, and you're right, we do.
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever been into a suburban home in Sydney that doesn't have a white ceiling, and I understand why the ceilings are white, But have you ever had clients or yourself ever been tempted to paint the ceiling non white?
Speaker 13: Absolutely, I've actually I actually did it on an entire property last year, and it is very much a statement and it can have the most amazing impact. But I do find if you're going to If you're going to do that, you have to make sure that you're consistent and follow through that type of intensity in the rest of the space. That would be my advice to anyone who is looking at that. But I do feel it can have a phenomenal impact.
Speaker 11: It's definitely much it's definitely in vogue, Michael. In fact, you even raised that question can show Naomi and I am the listeners just how coron you are with trends at the moment, Michael, because I know it's definitely an interior trend that's getting rid of that wife on the ceiling because people sort of feel that it kind of distracts from the room, you know, almost having this big stripe across it. So it's definitely not for the faint harsher though doing that strong or room color, and I personally do love it. However, I think if people are selling or know they're going to be selling soon, it will really knock out buyers who are perhaps erring on the side of caution a bit. So if you know you're not going to sell that house a very long time, knock yourself out. Go for it, Michael. I think it sounds like you're thinking of pink or red in this way.
Speaker 13: And you know what I think, if you get so important as you like, if you're not doing it for you, then doing something polarizing like that is not always choice.
Speaker 2: No, okay, just finally, we've got sixty seconds here. Light in all of this, you know, we all go down to the hardware store, get the paint samples, take them home, put a few on the wall and realize, oh, we did that in winter. In summer, it's a lot brighter here, and it looks a different shade. What's your advice with light time and choosing colors?
Speaker 13: Look for me, I'm always encouraging clients, or I do it for them, finding the largest possible surface if it's a massive piece ofply they buy from the hardware store. Paint it in only two or three colors you're interested in, and live with it for a while. Move it around the space, move it into the hallway, move it into one of the bedrooms in morning, in night, with lights on, with lights off. You have to make sure that color is going to live with you and you're going to love it in all of the light conditions that are going to come into your.
Speaker 2: Space, Naomi, thank you for your expertise. I really appreciate that you have a lovely weekend.
Speaker 13: You too, guys, lovely chatting and.
Speaker 2: Alice is always thank you. I know we're out of time for the bargain of the week. We had a beauty at Harris Park. Will hold that till next week. Was at five eighty five thousand, two bed, two bath, one car. Hello, that's a very good price. Chat to your next week.
Speaker 11: That pain colors is very important, Michael. It is to give that the time.
Speaker 2: Even in Harris Park, even in Harris Park. Thank you all the best, the wonderful thanks Alas Stolt's there from Demain. Will take a break and wrap up the hour. Speaking of colors and whatnot a nice one here from Phil who says, as a carpet layer, I had to install red carpet to the walls and the ceiling of a certain establishment. Maybe it was one of a kind, Phil, I think I know where you mean.
Speaker 1: News next now onto GB and network stations. Back to afternoons with Michael McLaren.
Speaker 2: L D the third hour. Thank you for being with us. It is a rather busy newsday, certainly proven to be the case the world awaits Run's response to Israel strike earlier. I will later this hour speak to Dave Sharma, the former Australian ambassador to is ISRAELI obviously understands the area well, and I'll get his take on what's happened, what he thinks is on the way before we get to Friday Food. We have been putting a bit of spotlight on the Victorian economy on this program over the last couple of weeks. I'm concerned that their energy footprint is just the stuff of fantasy and they'll do a lot of damage on the way. Now. Look, if I'm wrong, I'll eat humble pie. But the early signs aren't flash. Obviously, it's cold at the moment down there nothing unusual about that at this time of the year. But part of the main coulfied POWERstation is out about I think half of its production capacity is out. And as a result, Victoria seemed to be burning through their reserves of natural gas at a rapid rate. In fact, the fin Review reporting overnight that they've used more than thirteen percent of their expected gas for energy generation for the entire year in just three days. Thirteen percent of their expected annual gas usage in three days. This is the breakdown of the cold power plant and feeble renewable generation of forcing that state to rely on the fossil fuelled gas the same thing. Obviously that's vilified by the state government, but they're relying on it to keep the lights on go work. All of that out a technical problem. So the fin review reports that reduced supply from s o's Longford gas plant, and that's their main source down there, has become the latest hitch that only kicked in yesterday, raising the risk of shortages in a system creaking under the strain of a cold snap. And we're the conditions that are unfavorable to wind and solar. Now, the government's own report out of Spring Street from Memory did point out that often in winter or the depths of winter, they can have a low output of renewables, particularly wind. It gets cold, but it doesn't blow and so the wind turbines are not generating. And solar, well, you have a lot of cloud or whatever, they're not much good. And yet this is basically the recipe that Victoria are going to rely on in a decade or so's time when they plan to be one hundred percent renewable energy independent. I mean they're getting themselves. They know they can only do it because they've got interstate connectors to the north, New South Wales and Queensland that for the time being will provide them with reliable coal fired power. But once your lawn or whatever it is is shut off completely, and see they're struggling at the moment because it's out by fifty percent in a few years time to be one hundred percent from gone. What are they going to do. You can't just fire it back up. It'll be demolished or blown up like they did in South Australia. Whatever. It's crazy stuff. And yet this is the nation's second largest economy. Now they're doing everything possible in Victoria across the board to no longer be the second largest economy. They're competing to be the third largest, then the fourth largest, then the fifth largest, and so it goes. I mean, that's their seems it's not their plan, but that seems to be their trajectory. But you know, I just don't understand. Are you going to be able to fill the joint with more and more people and they're getting more migrants than we are, If that's possible to believe and still have viable industry, but rely completely on renewables when you won't have sufficient backup. How can they do it? Now? They either know something that a lot of physicists don't, or they are gambling, I would argue recklessly with the future, the economic future of their citizens. But maybe this winter is going to be a bit of a full taste. Let's see one three, one eight seventy three.
Speaker 1: Now one afternoons Friday food?
Speaker 2: All right, Well to something fast, sweeter and more pleasant Friday food. And as you know, we love a sweet treat on afternoons. And there's wonderful, wonderful places all around Sydney you can go for your sugary fix. But some places are regarded as the best for a particular type of dessert. Okay, Now, the one that is here today are known all over this city, in fact probably all over this state for their Portuguese tarts. Sweet Bellm inm Peetisham. It's an institution. It's family owned Portuguese pastrict. It's best. It opened in two thousand and three and it's a testament to the hard work of the people behind it who brought a little slice of Portugal to Sydney's in the West and everyone's trying to copy them, but no one can beat them. Jose Silver is the owner of Sweet Belem Cake boutique. In fact, he owns half a Petersham I think, but we'll focus on this one today. He's with me in the studio. Jose, good afternoon. Congratulations on the success. It's not easy operating even a mediocre place, but to operate the best of its kind is testament to you and the team.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 2: What's the secret?
Speaker 14: Secret is the hard work and making things with love, Just putting love into whatever you do and passion and using top ingredients and show up every.
Speaker 2: Day top ingredience.
Speaker 14: Yeah, like really quality ingredients is one of the keys. Like we use free range eggs butter for our pastry instead of magarine, and then yeah, vanilla bean instead of vanilla essence and yeah, just and that's shows your product when when you eat it.
Speaker 2: It does the ingredients themselves, are they mainly Australian or do you have to import certain bits from Portugal to get that that unique?
Speaker 14: We use local most of local ingredients, like it's a local butter, local local dairy and local flower as well.
Speaker 10: Vanilla comes from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, why why Portuguese starts? Why Portuguese sweets? Is there a family connection to the baking industry.
Speaker 10: Well, I'm a chef by trade.
Speaker 14: I have been chef since I've left school, and I love I love, I love what starts. I've always loved it. And then I pretty much took over the shop in twenty twelve. It's been that two thousand and three. I was a better long back then, and then because I love to touch so much that I wanted to take over, and pretty much the owner offered it to me. Being Portuguese, he wanted to keep in the Portuguese owned yes, and I thought, great, great idea, and I pretty much took over in twenty twelve. And then I've been there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I drive past off and you've got that sort of beautiful blue and white thing going on. It looks very nice that the food inside is even better than what the whole place looks like it's been done up recently. Yeah, it's fantastic, but you know, there's there's a challenge being the best, isn't there? Right? So I think the Portuguese tart it's a two pro. So there's two bits to consider ones the custard, ones of the patate, and if you get one of them wrong, the other can be as good as you like. It doesn't.
Speaker 10: That's exactly right.
Speaker 14: So yeah, without our patience us three days in earlier, Like we make a dough and they'll rest a lot of it is, letting it rest, and also we laminate it and then let it rest again and then cut it out, press it and then yeah, you have your custard, which is like like I said, it's all about the key ingredients for our doughie is but instead of magarine, local quality butter, and then for the custod we use free range eggs, real vanilla bean, lemon zest, and we do with a touch of cinnamon on top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's the lily. Yeah.
Speaker 14: And just baking all day as well. It's key is not pre baking, you know, a day before we bake on site and keep baking fresh and just trying to maintain that freshness.
Speaker 2: Any sense. How many of these things you sell a week? Ah?
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's in the thousands, thousands of days sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what the tax is not meant to know, it's twenty percent less than he says. Yeah, yeah, Appeadiship itself. I mean, I've had a family connection in that part of sitting for a long long time. But it's known as and I think officially now known as Little Porta. But you can walk around and you know, sometimes you won't see your Portuguese person. It's changing, but but it's it's had that that to connection to Portugal for a long time. And so you're in the middle of a lot of different Portuguese inspired eateries and in that part of the world, don't you.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, And that's the idea, like, yeah, there's Frangos, Silver's which and Sweet Bell and they're.
Speaker 10: Like the institutions of Petersham.
Speaker 14: There was a few other restaurants that kind of just like Glorious that that was that was the original one, but they've they've closed down and you know, things changed, and because of that, decided to open Luna's just a little bit further uproad. Like it's a restaurant cafe just inspired with.
Speaker 2: And we have a little.
Speaker 14: Courtyard outside so can sit in the courtyard. And the idea of that is to when reminds me when I was going back to Portugal and sitting my my uncle Auntie's backyard with vines on top. The guy the green garden, and that's the inspiration for lunas is. It's like little my.
Speaker 2: Homage to home to home.
Speaker 10: Yeah, like the back of the way I grew up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fantastic. I know people to go there. They so it's a fantastic cafe. You've got other You've got other stores and stories around that part of the world as well, which which I've been to, which are fantastic. The issue of tradition, you know, these these tarts go way back to a monastery I think in Lisbon, that's correct and whatever. So you know you're sort of standing on the shoulders of giants continuing that story. Is there ever a temptation to branch out and and sort of go crazy with them? Let me just give the Australian analogy of say the tim tam right, so we all know the original, But these days you get strawberry and cream flavor, you can get chewy caramel, you get blah blah bla blah blah blah. I don't think you do anything with Portuguese tarts other than the traditional one, do you.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we do.
Speaker 14: Sometimes you can add like a berry to her like a raspberry or blueberry you add to the tart, like you could add a little bit of a gunish on top, like chocolate, just add a bit more indulgence.
Speaker 10: But it's very it's very basic. What what we what we did to her?
Speaker 14: Like yeah, like I said, like a rispberry or blueberry inside the custodes or sometimes a date works really well just for richness.
Speaker 10: But it's good as it is. And you know, we would like to add a little bit.
Speaker 14: Of cinnamon on top, which is quite traditional, but that's very personal. See if you love cinnama or not, but we try to keep it very very traditional.
Speaker 2: And what else do you do because I mean, you've got chocolate cakes, you've got desserts, you've got a stack of stuff. Breads are all sorts of things going on there.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 14: And another thing that we do that we're very proud of is our doughnuts, which is called boll of ling, which is another very traditional Portuguese sweet which reminds me when I was a kid eating it at the.
Speaker 10: Beach with a Portuguese soda called smooth. So you having birth is like yeah, on the beach.
Speaker 14: And then we do like churisto bread, We do corn bread, which is like very traditional. It's actually my grandma's auntie's recipe. It's like a traditional corn rustic bread. And yeah, like a whole variety of other Portuguese traditions like zita, which is like a puff pastry with almonds and egg jam, and that's also a very traditional Portuguese pastry.
Speaker 2: A stack of other stuff. Is there much difference between Spanish and Portuguese cuisine?
Speaker 10: There is a lot, Yeah, there is. It's just it's there is very similar ingredients.
Speaker 14: But it's just the way the executor is quite. Yeah, it's different, but similar flavors. Like it's like full of flavor. Basically they tend to be rich and rich, very rich flavors. Yeah, big flavors and a lot of cubs. And we love our rice in Portugal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do the tomato rice. It's fantastic, all right. What's next? Because of it, You've got this, and you've got the Lon's Cafe, I think you've got Fished the Fish restaurant.
Speaker 14: Down there, and Bibbo in Double Baby joined in Double Bay.
Speaker 2: What's next?
Speaker 14: Sure, maybe you expand sweep them a little bit more to other suburbs because Pedish and like it's good. That's probably I would love to do these expense sweet bell I meanto.
Speaker 2: I mean the only problem with the petishm side is it's now at a park. Yeah, that's not your fault.
Speaker 10: No, No, that's the way it is.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so we for a bit of opportunitybe expand go to in the city or north south.
Speaker 2: Wherever there's more rent and people that like a Portuguese Well, congratulations on the story. I always ask people to come in for Friday food, not just talk about the food, but talk about the business. And the message every time is the same. It's tough. I mean, you've got rising insurance prices, rising energy prices, rising wages for staff by by law and statute. You've got a slow down in the economy, discretionary spenders down per capita, recession is on, and yet you know you've got to try to survive. It's not easy from a financial point of view, is it.
Speaker 10: No, it's not. It's like the last couple of years have been really hard. Everything.
Speaker 14: The cost of the cost of goods have gone up, like eggs have gone up by fifty forty percent.
Speaker 10: Is crazy, Like we use a lot of eggs.
Speaker 14: Sam as butter dairy, which is Yeah, it's just the cost of living and it's becoming harder and harder to to keep the costs. Yeah, the profit is the profitmagines have dropped a lot compared to what Well, you're.
Speaker 2: Right, you're not. You've got to make a profit. But equally, you've got to have a product that's at a price point, like you're selling Portuguese tarts, not houses. There's got to be a price point that someone says, yeah, okay, I can part with five.
Speaker 10: Dollars a yeah, five dollars.
Speaker 14: We chug five dollars for a Portuguese start, which is just makes Yeah, it's hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, well, if they're good, people will pay. People pay for it, and they're good and that's why people are great to meet you. Thank you for coming in. I know you've brought a few things in here. I'll probably not get to taste any of them because the locusts will be here and they'll it's like a biblical peg on Friday food. But congratulations on the success and here's all strength of your hand.
Speaker 10: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having my pleasure. Jose Silver, the owner of Sweet Bellem Cake, boutique. You find them at Petersham, New Canterbury Road there, I think from memory. It's all blue and white. You can't miss it. There'll be cues out the door. They're very very good. It's twenty one past two.
Speaker 1: It's that time of the afternoon. Time to find out what's coming up on Sydney Now for the Serrato successor, the turbo charged Kia K four kias on new small sedan GT Line very intavailable now find out more about Kia's latest small car.
Speaker 2: He's here with us the one and only Clinton Mainard. He will be hosting Sydney Now straight after three o'clock on what is a rather busy newsday.
Speaker 6: Hello Clinton, I've just walked into the studio. Good afternoon, Mick Mac and the scent in this studio, but the smell in this is I'm trying a new afterday.
Speaker 2: If you like it, it's beautiful.
Speaker 6: If I can go along to Grace Brothers and.
Speaker 2: Buy some arm to shave like that, Yes, it's a Faberge Odor cinnamon.
Speaker 6: It's beautiful, isn't it. The smell in here is just gorgeous. Yes, if something smells really nice, can it taste bad?
Speaker 2: Now? There's a question, eh, because we eat with our eyes, but all the sensors get activated, don't they.
Speaker 6: Or if something smells bad, because I think I've heard this one. It smells that can tastes good.
Speaker 2: That's true. There's that fruit in Asia. Oh there's the stinky I think it stinky fruit, and apparently that tastes fantastic, but at a scare effect.
Speaker 6: You know, I've been a regular touristic balley. There are venues in but they do not allow you to have stinky fruit in your hotel room.
Speaker 2: I didn't know McDonald's had those sides. That's all, that's where you eat.
Speaker 6: So admittedly I have been to McDonald's.
Speaker 2: There's a great shock. Okay, well maybe maybe just maybe because I'm just trying to think you're on the fly, which isn't always a good thing. But I don't think anything that from a food point of view, that smells good tastes bad. I can't think of an example.
Speaker 6: But anything that tastes good can't be healthy.
Speaker 2: Oh, raspberries are pretty good, aren't they?
Speaker 6: Raspberries healthy for you when they're not occidents? And yeah, they're not blueberries though, taste good. I think you're just thinking about stinky fruit overseas. I think McDonald's in Southeast at one point had a stinky fruit milkshake or thick shape promotion, the mc stinky Mix. Stinky Yes, coming up in the program.
Speaker 2: We're going to segue to the power story again.
Speaker 6: We are actually on the progres. It's that it's the Friday round Table after five and Amanda row is in a very special guest on the round table this afternoon, John Stanley. And one of our topics is there's been some research done into etiquette, toilet etiquette in the workplace. Yes, and we'll be discussing this in particular, John, given we work in close quarters.
Speaker 2: You used to have a quality show once upon a time.
Speaker 6: Oh, there's plenty of quality. Don't worry about that.
Speaker 2: You're talking about going to the toilet at.
Speaker 6: The office after five o'clock.
Speaker 2: Our program director Greg Burns was out there and obviously got the radio turned up really high. Oh no, Greg, would you mind just popping in here just episode briefly ever so, but we have a programming question that needs to do debate. Greg's just half for consuming a Portuguese tart. It's amazing. We haven't seen our program director all week and then the Portuguese suddenly he's turned up. Now greed good officially, Good afternoon, Clinton. Now, would you just like to reiterate, now that the boss is here, what you'll be discussing on the program this afternoon.
Speaker 6: We were discussing scent because the cinnamon Portuguese tut the smell is.
Speaker 15: Just gorgeous, smells wonderful in here.
Speaker 6: Which led us to discussing stinky fruit, which in parts of Southeast Asia Durian. No, but come on, give us not a stinky fruit. What are you going to talk to John Stanley about? Friday round Table is going to feature Amanda Rose and John Stanley this afternoon, and we will need to discussing the story that featured in the Australian Financial Review. I should point out, Michael about bathroom etiquette in the workplace.
Speaker 15: Yes, Clinton, maybe we won't be discussing this now. No, if you're not bringing Johnny in on a Friday to talk about barthroa and etiquette, we are.
Speaker 2: It gets better.
Speaker 6: There's an investigation in the Australian Financial Review today and means they're.
Speaker 2: Part of the nine family.
Speaker 6: Yes, and it's it just relates to what you should. Some people feel that just split it out talk about it. Some people, because of the smell, they feel they have to hang on until they get home rather than use the facilities in the workplace. Some research has been conducted.
Speaker 15: Over to you, John, it sounds like one wonderful program you have coming up Clinton.
Speaker 6: The Treasure of Daniel Lookie will be in studio after four o'clock.
Speaker 15: By cor we've had led Zeppelin, have a wonderful weekend, Michael Joy and tonight.
Speaker 2: A wonderful night. It will be thank you and I'll see you on Monday. I'm not sure about other people, but I'll be here on Monday, thank you. Greg. Yes, other than.
Speaker 6: That, the Treasure Daniel Lookie will be my guest in studio after four o'clock.
Speaker 2: To throw that to him as well.
Speaker 6: He's quite a character, Daniel Lookie. But no, we won't be discussing that particular ishue look that the budget has been released in a couple of weeks time. But also the snap inquiry into the workers' compensation scheme is on next week and I do have some information about that. Will be discussing with the treasurer after four o'clock. But I'm also going to use it as an opportunity if our listeners have questions that they'd like to pose to the Treasurer. If I know that the budget's being finalized at the moment, but if they see something around Sydney that they believe needs spending, that's a there's an oval for instance, that could do with new facilities. If there's something they think the government should be committing some spending to let us know.
Speaker 2: What about that hole on the Princess Highway of Rockdale that opened up today, Well, that'd be a great one to point a handy little thing to fill in. So if you've got a question, send me an email via two GV dot com in the next couple of hours we'll put it to the Treasurer. Or you can call one three one eight seven three after four o'clock this afternoon continuing the musical bent on the station today, Olivia will be producing your program from next week, so I know we'll be featuring led Zeppelin regularly, Yes on the afternoon programs. You got it out of a system.
Speaker 6: I've never seen leaving reaction in such a way. Tim Finn will be my guest after Wow Wonderful, the founder of Split Ends He contributed as well to Credit House, particularly with the wood Face album around nineteen ninety nineteen ninety one. So looking for the talking to Tim.
Speaker 2: Finn absolutely now someone who says parmesan cheese. But I think I think parmes And the problem is it smells pretty ordinary, but it tastes good. So we're looking for something that smells really good but tastes bad. Is there such a combination?
Speaker 6: It must be possible.
Speaker 2: Call everything's possible, but nothing's coming to mind.
Speaker 6: Well, we're just deal with the big issues on the City Now program. So I'll leave that to you for the last half hour of.
Speaker 2: You all the one, number one issues and the number two issues. Thank you Clinton, Thanks Clinton Maynard allegedly straight after three o'clock. In the meantime, let's go back to the newsroom or marg Good afternoon.
Speaker 5: Good afternoon, Michael. Just downs before Israel launched a strike on Iran, the United Nations Atomic watchdog agency had issued a censure to Iran for failing to comply with non proliferation obligations meant to prevent it from developing a nuclear weapon. Australia is promising another ten million dollars in aid through charity organizations to help provide medical supplies and food to the people of Gaza. Premier Chris Minn says his position is clear and Crown Barangaroo will not be able to install five hundred poker machines, and residents of a lib communit block are being forced to find alternative accommodation after a gas explosion injured two people and blasted out the exterior wall of the second floor apartment in Sport. Only ten players in a field of one hundred and fifty six have finished the day at under par after the opening round of the US Golf Open in Pittsburgh. American JJ Spawn leads the way at four under. And there'll be more news at three.
Speaker 6: O'clock on afternoons.
Speaker 1: A finance update for Pretzel Wealth and finance for Trusted Financial Planning just Google, Blake went to Pretzel.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go to Scott Phillips, the chief investment officer of course at the Motley fool full dot com Dot you Friday. Finance, geopolitics and the markets intersect today, don't they, Scott?
Speaker 4: And as Michael, don't they if not nothing about tariffs, something else that's going on now. Of course, we've got the attacks in the Middle East, another kind of unfortunately common occurrence. What it's done is pushed oil price up dramatically. Brent, cruded, nine x light suite both up by more than ten percent after that news emerged. The question really is how much is it going to impact the supply of oil for the world market and the sublime slide demand to so finally balance that won't take much in either direction to really push that price up. So just after we were hoping inflation are starting to come down, we've seen, of course petrol price actually one of the bright spots pricing awise over the last twelve months or so. This will filter through very very quickly, I'm sure, to the petrol tank, to the bowser, and of course to the broader economy. You know, the oild and the local economy is both run on oil literally and metaphorically, and so yeah, when the price of that goes up, it does make everything else much more expensive. Goes right through the supply chains. Not only put petrol in the tank, but you know the food they driver, the trading everybody getting around the country. If you're using petrol, if using diesel, then you're going to be impacted. Unfortunately if this continues.
Speaker 2: And it's already taking I think up eight point three percent overnight in trade or in the last few hours on the American market. So oil up now the market's and the dollar. How are we reacting to what's taking place?
Speaker 4: Yeah, not well. We started the day with a little time bit of optimism with negative territory ever since, kind of about the bottom of the day's trading range too. I hope it sticks there, it doesn't go any lower, but at the moment, down half a percent to eighty seven hundred and fifty six points. That's the all ordinaries. The dollar is down against all the major currencies that canadi in the end, the British pound, the Euro, and the US dollar, where it's off four tenths percent sixty four point seventy four US sins.
Speaker 2: All right, Scott, thank you, enjoy your weekends. Scott Filip said from the Motley fool full dot com dot AU. We'll have another chat about the situation in the Middle East shortly with Dave Sharma. A few suggestions coming through here about the things that probably smell pretty good but actually taste bad. Because I mean, off the top of my head, I couldn't think. There's plenty of things that smell bad but allegedly taste good depending on your taste buds. But the other way around, where it smells really good actually tastes bad. Someone says, maybe vegimite, but I don't know. Well, it's like artists in the eye or the nose of the beholder, but I don't know. Vegemite smells good. Someone here says, my wife's cooking, it smells good but tastes terrible most nights. That's nice if you peter this one says coffee powder. Coffee powder smells great, but it tastes bad. Okay, yeah. Licorice is a suggestion from Matt. Does it have much of a smell? Maybe slightly. I guess some might say anie or aniseed, because I think that smells really good, but it's a bit of an aquiet taste, the black jelly bean or the uzo. I mean, I like the taste, but a lot of people that smells good, but I'm not going to maybe that. I know in Germany when we go there, if you go to the areas I think north of Frankfort, there is a product there that you can get in markets and things, and it's called hard keser. And let me tell you, when they bring this thing out on a plate, it smells like, you know, Uncle Bob's wet socks from the nineteen eighty seven Grand Final that have been left in a washing basket in some dingy house since then. It stinks like it is really really gross. Yet the Germans say, oh, this tastes really good. I think you gotta be kidding me, like it's punishment stuff. But anyway, apparently, apparently the old hard kes is a great thing. It apparently tastes so good. They have it with like like raw onion or something that jeez, each to their own. I think a chef came up with that in pretty desperate times, just quietly. Anyway, So you might have a suggestion, well, no doubt, come up at least one or two answer between now and then. Things that smell really good but actually taste really bad. It's twenty three to three. It's nineteen and a half minutes to three. Now this winter, treat yourself to the wall of five star luxury. This is at the Fulleton Hotel. It's an amazing place and enduring icon nestle in the heart of our city, perfectly positioned where history meets modern elegance. At the Fullerton Hotel Sydney, you're just moments from the city's finest shopping, vibrant theaters, harbor views of course, and the historic charm of Martin Place. And for a limited time only, you're going to receive fifteen percent off their best available rate and that includes a sumptuous buffet breakfast for two. That's always the best bit, isn't it the buffet breakfast Now. This exclusive offer is available for stays between July four and twenty one, So whether you're planning a romantic weekend shopping trip or just a memorable family retreat during the winter school holidays. The Fulleton Hotel Sydney, that's the name you've got to remember. Look them up, The Fullerton Hotel Sydney. It sets the perfect stage, t's and c supply. Of course, visit Fullertonhotels dot com Fulletonhotels dot com to book your stay today. You'll know the Fulleton. It's the one located in the former post office building. Celebrates one hundred fifty years this year, I think, so ongoing piece of history, which is just fantastic. One three, one eight seven three. The news continues to come through from Iran and Israel as to what has happened earlier today. It is the big news of the day, no doubt. The world's attention has been drawn back to the Middle East after Israel launched those targeted strikes on Iran and in and around Tehran, the capital. Now. Iran has responded by saying they will they will fight back somehow, but so far we haven't seen what that's going to look like. We've seen Iran Supreme Leader I tolda Hamani warn that Israel will face quite quite severe punishment for the attacks, adding that the Zionist regime has prepared a bitter and painful fate for itself and it will certainly receive it. Israel are prepared. Let's just see what Iran do now. As we know, Israel says that this was an attack needed to stop the development of nuclear weapons in Iran. As you know, I have been saying on this show for I think the better part of four months, maybe longer, this was going to happen. It was only a matter of time. Well, somebody who understands the region incredibly well, I think better than most Australians is our former ambassador to Israel now Senator of course, Dave Sharma, and he's with me on the line. Dave, thank you for being there. I appreciate it.
Speaker 16: It's a pleasure.
Speaker 9: Great to join you.
Speaker 2: Another day and another development in the Middle East. I suspect maybe you had always suspected, well for some time, that this day was a matter if, a matter of when not if. Is that the case?
Speaker 16: Yeah, Look, I think you need to see this action over nine in that's context, and that's the context where Israel and Iran have basically been in conflict now for several years, and even over the last two years, in quite open conflict. I mean, in twenty twenty four there were two substantive exchanges of direct fire and attacks involving missiles and drones and aircraft between Israel and Iran. And this is really, I think the next next chapter in what is now frombly the major driver of conflict in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: I think Penny Wong, the Foreign Minister, said today when asked that Australia was quote unquote alarmed. I think that was the word that she used. I mean, should we have been alarmed? I mean, if radio people like me can see this is coming four months off. I mean, why would the foreign minister be alarmed by the foreseeable development?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I don't think I would have used those words. I mean, look, obviously, anytime that you know, conflict breaks out into the open and nations are at war with one another, it's concerning. But I think that the signs of you know, as I said, that conflict has been underway between Israel and a Run for some time. We've known that, you know, the US administration was trying diplomatic talks with Iran, but they'd also said that they were giving that two months to succeed, and if that didn't happen, if they didn't succeed within two months, you know, all bets were off the table. Well, you know, two months passed just yesterday. So I don't think this is necessarily a surprise.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, it seems though the Israelis have gone after certain military sites. Some of these are very very heavily defended. In fact, they're in mountains, they're in bunkers, in tunnels. How effective do you think the strikes have been? Have we got any sense of how complete the destruction has been.
Speaker 16: My understanding is that this operation is likely the last several days is not just going to be the wave of strikes we've seen because the nature of the facilities they're targeting, which are underground in enrichment facilities, uranium and richment facilities designed to acquire the precursors for a nuclear weapon. They are very deep, underground, in natural with natural barriers, in mountains with large amounts of concrete over them. So the amount of munitions you need to drop to basically destroy or disable or do significant damage to these sites is large. And Israel doesn't have assets, and it's fleet like a B two bomber or a B fifty two bomber that can carry very large munitions. So I suspect what we've seen overnight is only the first of what we will see over several days play out.
Speaker 2: Iran will respond, but in the past they've responded and it's been a bit of a damp squid, and now their proxies are largely disarmed and destroyed because of what's happened the last year or two. So it'll be fascinating to see what that response looks like, whether they go all out and risk some sort of massive retaliation again from Israel, or whether we just get that sort of usual reign of missiles, most of which are knocked out with the iron dome.
Speaker 16: Look, that is obviously what everyone's watching. I know Israel's on high alert and their home front commanders, operating people are being told to stay near shelters and to not go outside. I think there's two questions here. One is, there are reports that a number of seen Iranian military bigguers have been killed in this first wave of strike. So is their command and control operational system intact? Are they able to mount a military response or will their communications are broken down? And then secondly, you know, how effective will the response be that they mount. Will it be ballistic missiles and drones? Will they be shot down or intercepted by Israel? Or will they potentially target third countries? You know, will they target US military and installations in the region. Will they target oil infrastructure in the Gulf States? Those are all possible options as well.
Speaker 2: What about let's bring this back to Australia just briefly, Dave, and that is, are there any lessons in everything that's been going on the last few years here for Australia, particularly from a military point of view, to learn I mean You've got Israel, tiny dot on the map, surrounded increasingly by neighbors that are open to doing business. But in the case of Iran and some of their proxies in and around Israel itself, immediately enemy states, big, large, populous enemy state. They've got militaries, and yet Israel seems to have the capability to defend, not just defend itself, but to preemptively strike when they think that their interests are threatened. Now we look at the Australian Defense Force by comparison, we don't look like we could premptively strike much at all, and yet we are increasingly being surrounded by big and growing military threats. Is there some lessons that we should be drawing out of all of this.
Speaker 16: Well, I think the most important lesson is ultimately, to safeguard your freedom and your sovereignty, you need to have the capacity to defend yourself by yourself if necessary. Now, traditionally in Australia we've relied upon the nine external environment and our alliance with initially the United Kingdom and then after the Second World War, the United States to sort of offset the need for us to do much of the defending ourselves. But our environment has changes. Any number of senior defense officials is indeed, the Prime Minister has said, but we don't yet see to have made the step change necessary to start equipping our defense force to defend ourselves in a more contested environment. I mean, Israel has always been a state since it was created in nineteen forty eight that has known, It has known that if it doesn't have the capacity to defend itself, it will not survive for long. We haven't ever been faced with quite a starker choice in Australia, at least not since the Second World War. But it's time we started to take that seriously.
Speaker 2: No doubt you had dealings somehow with all via proxies with Benjaminett and Yahoo. What's his thinking here as all this unfolds? Why did you decide to go? Now? What's going on in his mind? Do you think?
Speaker 16: Look? I had a number of dealings with him over the years, and met him quite often when I was the ambassador. Look he sees it, I guess as his historic role and mission, as most Israeli leaders would, to make sure the Jewish state survives and make make sure Israel survives and prospers in a difficult extern environment. I think Israel has known for some time that there is a window of opportunity here to significantly set back Iran's nuclear program, nuclear weapons program, and it's ballistic missile program. They have been wanting to take it. That's been quite clear. I think the United States had restrained them from doing so up until now, but clearly you know that signal has changed, and they see almost once in a decade or wanting two dedicade, opportunity to step back the capacity of Iran to do them harm significantly. And they've done this in the past, whether it was with series nascent nuclear weapons program, whether it was a Rax nuclear weapons program in forty years ago and twenty years ago. So they have always shown a willingness to act to safeguard their security preemptively if need be. And that's what Benjamin Smo who.
Speaker 2: Has on show today, Okay, just finally, we don't know what's coming and so therefore we don't know what's on the horizon. This could get a lot bigger, we don't know. But in the here and the now, has Israel done the whole West of favor by doing what they've done today.
Speaker 16: Well, look, there's no doubt that Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons, as the International Atomic Energy Agency found just yesterday, is not compliant with its observance of international norms. But more importantly, it's a ballistic weapons program. It's supports to armed terrorist groups in the region, it's supports to the who Is, its support to Hesblah, it's support to the Asad regime. Generally speaking, Iran has been a huge source of global instability in the world. And bear in mind, you know Iranian drones are funding Russias or supporting Russia's war effort against Ukraine. So it's not only in the Middle East. So I think in Iran that is less interested or less capable and exporting its extremist ideology and terror to the rest of the world. I think that's a positive thing for Australia. I think it's a positive thing for the world.
Speaker 2: Good to speak, hope you have a good weekend. Thank you for your.
Speaker 16: Inside Dave pleasure, Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Senator Dave Sharma. I'm being told we're back on here. Okay, five minutes to three. Time for track of the day. I've got one last double passed Riviera Revenge to give away. Fantastic movie, all set down there on the sunny French Riviera, which looks a lot better than Greg gloomy Sidney at the moment. French smash it romantic comedy. It's in Australian cinemas from June twenty six. If you want the double pass one three one eight seven three. There's a question, though, you've got to get through first. It was on this day in nineteen ninety nine that an Australian boxer's thirty two year career ended. It was up on the Gold Coast. He had a win over the American bad News Levi Billips. I think it was on this day in nineteen ninety nine which Assie Box's career came to an end. Thirty two glorious he is, he had a win to finish it off. What's his name? One three one eight seven three. Here's your inspirational music.
Speaker 9: I am just to pull aboard or my story selm toolls lissistance for a part at full of manger.
Speaker 1: Such a Prima Sands and just still the man he is what he wants to hear and disregards.
Speaker 2: The rest We've got on your brad from Newington The answer of course being Joe Bugner World done, Joe, great career. Thank you for your company this week. Everybody, a big thank you to the team for all of their help, not just today but throughout the week. We'll be back on Monday to do it all again