Speaker 1: Welcome back to Inside Line.
Speaker 2: Justin Harrison, Tim Horny and Peyton in the Insideline studio.
Speaker 1: This week got plenty to talk about.
Speaker 2: We're going to chat about the Super Rugby finals system.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk to.
Speaker 2: An Aussie seventh star over in India. At the moment, there's a bit of reports around the Wallabies captaincy leading into the line series, so gentlemen, lots to sink our teeth into. But one of the biggest talking points this week has been around the structure of the finals system in Super Rugby Pacific. I think it's fair to say there was a lot of criticism after the opening weekend the qualifying finals. Peter, You've written an article on the Sydney Morning Herald in the paper today Wednesday, the eleventh of June that this structure as it is this year is going to be reviewed.
Speaker 1: What are they going to look at?
Speaker 3: Do you think it's going to come under a general review of the competition? But yeah, I suppose to put context to it all. After the Chiefs lost their qualifying final to the Blues, the new Super Rugby final structure, they retained the right to host a semi final obviously, so that the brummies have got to travel over to Hamilton on Saturday. And I think it caught a few people. I have surprised the rules were there, as has been spoken about in other places, but it Yeah, I think most people thought that the Chiefs would lose the right to host another final, you know, a bit of a double dipping situation. So I think it caught a few people by surprise. On Saturday night when you guys were putting up the where the finals will be next week. Spoke to Jack Measley, the Super Rugby CEO yesterday just he's saying, look, they do a review of the competition anyway, they will go around to the stakeholders.
Speaker 4: They don't want that word, but you know.
Speaker 3: The clubs, the players, the officials, and he also, you know, I think wisely sort of said that there will be an element of the pub two as well, whether the punters think this is a fair system, and he acknowledged that that people.
Speaker 4: Plenty of people don't think it's a fair system.
Speaker 3: So I think that's good that Super Rugby have got an open mind about it. I wouldn't be surprised to see that if this time next year there's a tinkering you know, as we've discussed on this show in the past, Super rugby has been a victim of too much change in the past, always constantly changing. But I don't think that should stop your tinkering with things if.
Speaker 4: Things just don't quite feel right.
Speaker 5: I think those changes have probably come in because the number of teams have changed a lot over the last ten years.
Speaker 2: You know that, in this example changes the number of teams you got in finals, But that doesn't mean you have to go with this structure. They could have found a better way to structure the finals this year out.
Speaker 5: But I also think I like the top six because the last two rounds there were still probably was the nine teams that could have made that top six. So I don't mind. I love the top six. I think just to tink of it. I was listening to James HALLLL on between two posts earlier this week talking about and this is probably the best way to go one and two. You've got to have some sort of incentive to finish one and two in the competition. One and two should get the weekend off and then from three to six they end up playing so three plays six, four plays five knockout finals. Then they go and play the semi finals against one and two. But I'm fine with the Chiefs getting a second chance at home.
Speaker 6: I think you've got to look at some of the things around why that system was put in place or how it was put in place. There was probably not as thorough as stakeholder engagement and consultation process. Is what's going to be involved now. The Rebels were exited very quickly. The team went almost over in ID although we knew it was a slow burn to an eleven team competition and there had to be some form of building content allowing teams to have home games. In an eleven team competition, you've got two buys now, so that means every team loses another game another revenue piece as well. Trying to solve for that was very good. So we had the eight team final. People didn't like that added value by changing it to six exactly right, Pato. I think they'll add value because there'll be a known entity that's accepted by many stakeholders to just change slightly how the reshuffle happens. I don't agree with the top two having a week off, maybe because two less games for people, two less venues that are going to be played for content for the broadcast sky and stand to put on TV and generate revenue.
Speaker 5: But also momentum going into finals. There's a way you finish one on two. He actually, as a player, your feel like you want to keep.
Speaker 6: Every every game on the last weekend before the finals meant something, and every game won through six meant something as well. Clearly, I think what we're caught by surprise was the lack of knowledge around the chiefs and coming out and saying this is the finals and this is what's happening.
Speaker 5: But also for the viewer, it was quite confusing for the viewer or the fan to know all the permeentations on if your side wins or loser's highest loser, highest winner, how that works.
Speaker 6: So I think they sai not knowing and then understanding why and then how do we how do we consult and improve? It would be would be very surprised if next year, if one or two lose a home final, if we maintain the same structure, then they lose the right to host the semi at the next opportunity, and then.
Speaker 3: No one no one really bothered reading the fine print because how often does the lowest team beat the top team?
Speaker 4: Well not often. In fact, it's only ever happened.
Speaker 5: Twice in Super right the Blues to win against I.
Speaker 3: Don't know if you were in these teams you may have been, but Queensland were the only team still have lost. They was back when Super Rugby was a top four. They went straight to Semis and Queensland lost in natal shot.
Speaker 5: We played them in the last round in Durban and then they end up finishing fourth. We finished first, think we lost one or two games a whole.
Speaker 3: And then Crusaders when they won from fourth, So no one bothered reading the fine print, right, so it kind.
Speaker 4: Of caught us by surprise.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're right. There is a Mastermind algorithm that has six meeting. First well, no, and saw that happening. But then also a scenario that's on the other end of the bell curve that has if you reshuffle incorrectly those rankings, potentially you can have a semi and then the same opponent's meeting again in a sorry a quarter into a semi, so that there was a bit of jeopardy there as well.
Speaker 3: So it was done to reward the minor premier. Obviously, it was supposed to be an award for the Minor Premier.
Speaker 2: Reward for Minor Premiership is you're guaranteed to go through to the next week. That's a reward I lose to. If you lose, you forfeit any right to host. From there, the Chiefs could still host the final despite losing the first one.
Speaker 3: Well, and I argue in Super Rugby I wrote a piece about this the other day that the ability to have the inside running to host the final, which the only person that gets the inside running the host the final is the team that finishes one if you keep winning the final, and nineteen of the twenty six Super Rugby winners were the team that finished first. So winning playing at home is such an advantage in a competition with international travel, and that's.
Speaker 5: Why I was so costly for the Brundies to lose that game a couple of weeks ago to not finish number two.
Speaker 3: That's you, that's your advantage to me that for finishing first, finishing Minor Premiers, having inside running on playing the final at home. So Tim, I don't think that we'll go back to that system of having the top two got a week off because there's a competition that as you mentioned with the Rebels company.
Speaker 4: There's already lost game, so the broadcasters are pretty can you get as many games those one finals match?
Speaker 2: If you go to that in that opening week instead of having three games, you have too so you only lose one.
Speaker 6: You're still down an extra game because there's two by competitions, there's two.
Speaker 2: Would integrity of competition not be more important than quantity of cotability and quantity of content.
Speaker 6: More game.
Speaker 1: One final game.
Speaker 6: It needs to be a sustainable platform of commercial viability and this will be the difference as well in stake or engagement. Super rugby clubs need to be at the table along with players as well about the Super Rugby. They need to present how the commercial outcomes of this year has has worked for them. What does it meant for two missing games because of two buyers? What does it meant for a home final series and you're getting another semi? I mean the Chiefs would be pretty happy they get another they get another game at home from a revenue perspective. Are they the only team to do other teams accept that as well? I think that'll be the difference in this. Mesley and the Super Rugby Pacific concept and central office wasn't around when this was put together, we're vastly different outcome.
Speaker 3: There's pros and cons to all the ways you look at it. So the Crusaders and the Chiefs are playing two home games in a row, like do do people put their hands in their pocket for that. But additionally, as Jack Measley said to me yesterday, imagine the Brumby's bashed up after a really tough game against the Canes. We're now going to the Chiefs a week off when we're fresh. So jeopardy is what's got us to this position, which is great. So you know that the second result, the second final this weekend, means that Chiefs and Brumbies.
Speaker 4: Have both got bruises all over them.
Speaker 3: I think probably the most common sense solution is just if you lose a final, you automatically go to fourth seating regardless.
Speaker 5: Of you just got to be careful it doesn't become a Duckworth Lewis scenario with the cricket where no one knew what was going on. So keep it simple so that the fans can underst.
Speaker 6: Maybe we should give it an Duckworth Lewis. Even then that exploring.
Speaker 2: About horn Harrison Payton h people.
Speaker 5: If the Chiefs when the Chiefs lost, they should then go to Cambra to play the Brumbies.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's what I think most people thought was going.
Speaker 2: To happen, right, Yeah, Well, the Brumbies just need to win this weekend, beat the Chiefs and they need the Blues to beat the Crusaders and then it's Blues versus Brumbies in cam next week. We'll definitely be talking about that next week. Yeah, that's been a big talking point this week. In the last couple of days, there's been some reports around who might be the Wallabies captain for the Lion series. Report that it's looking like it's going to be Jake Gordon, which I think has caught a lot of people by surprise. Joe Schmitt's over in Perth and he was asked about that report and this is what he had to say.
Speaker 7: Jake, he's one of the leaders in the group, but so is Nick White, so that you know that there's there's a few halfbacks and Tate McDermott has been a former captain, so of the nines we had last year, they're all leaders within the group. So Jake is a really good skill set, mature player, very nice kicking game, one of the Sharper passes around and he is utterly committed when he's on the when he's on the grass, his ability to cover corners and make tackles, involved in the physical stuff he's he's he's a multi purpose sort of player, but at the sharp edge of his game is really his pass kick which which were very hellful to us last year.
Speaker 2: Joe Schmidt doing what he does best there and being a bit noncommittal and paying respect to a multitude of players as well as the topic in Jake Gordon. But I think when I said he caught people by surprise, it's no disrespect good to Jake Gordon. He's obviously an experienced player, a leader at the warrtar's leader within the Wallabies. But I think what caught me by surprise is this is not the way Joe seems to have done things, at least in the twelve months he's been in the seed as Wallabies coach. He seems to last year have picked to fifteen first and foremost, and then out of that fifteen picked his captain. Do you think maybe he now if this is correct, if it's true, he's more settled on who is fifteen is going to be?
Speaker 1: This far out from the Lions.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure. I think it's a long way from settled conjecture around captaincies. You're just sing get everyone to len Ford. Interesting listening to his answer and all of his answer was about performance and skill, nothing about leadership and what are the skills required to lead this Wallaby group through the British rice line series and to be a consistent leader. I think what the Australian rug veh eco system is learning, particularly from twenty three World Cup experience, one of the main things was that players will get given multiple opportunities to be the leader in many different capacities and not just waiting for captaincy to be a leader. You can be the youngest in the team and be a leader of that generation of player coming through. Look at Joseph Suley either way, he's brought professionalism into the change room and he's a leader without a title. Then there's a forward leader, there's a senior leadership group and how you manifest itself into a team environment. It's very important Judgment is skilled at picking players who can work to a game plan and follow his strategy and technique and tactics. I think the group is now going to inform him about leadership. What is really healthy, and I'll throw it upen to you guys, is that there are multiple names that you can consider that would be able to step into the importance of a captaincy role because it is an elevation. You are scrutinized, you are the first person interviewed after a game when asked about controversy, and you need to articulate team messaging and be a conduit between the coach and the players. The positive that we've got, you know, since twenty three, let's say our nearest traumatic experience with the Wallaby group is that there are multiple people. Now that group has been together for a while and he, you know, just reeled off two other nines who are in competition for that position that are also very skilled, but there are multiple leaders.
Speaker 5: I think it's when you look at leaders or skippers of a rugby team the attributes that I think you've got to be first picked in your position. So Alena Tawa, yes, frasermink right, yes, Jake Gordon, I'd probably argue that would he be first selected. Maybe he's a better starter than a finish it compared to a Tate McDermot or Nick White, and then you'd have to look at Akay well if you're the first player picked. And then for the Lions, maybe Joe Smith's looking for the lines and how big the side will be of the British and Irish Lions. I being physically physically that you need to start with someone who's got the physicality of a Jake Gordon, and also as a skipper to how long you're going to be on the field for, you need to be on the field for at least sixty minutes, sixty to sixty five.
Speaker 6: I think to be multiple captains named. I think that we've seen some teams have captains vice captain named off the bench as well, and they're going to be multiple people called on to lead this team through not just when to kick for touch and when to take points and heads or tails.
Speaker 5: Because if you think they're say everyone thought maybe Harry Wilson would be the skipper, which is the incumbent Wallaby captain at eight, Jake Gordon not both those players might only be on the field for fifty five minutes and then alanel tawas he the next person who comes off the bench that takes that leadership role. So I think It's interesting. I think there's three or four players in that conversation.
Speaker 3: The journo and me thinks watches that clip and says that he didn't say no right like I've seen Joe Schmidt shoot down those sort of questions like oh, we'll pick our captain later or whatever. So the report was from Darren Walton to aap is very berunced been around the traps for a long time, so I don't have any reason to doubt his mail. I haven't heard the same thing, but I'm curious about looking at it from you know, why would it Why would it be the case? I think we all think Harry Wilson. You know, if fit has earned the right to roll forward, you know, then Alan Alatoa, as you've mentioned, then you start to just move the chess pieces around. It's quite fun, you know, Like maybe he wants to start Tan Yello Tupo and get a half hour out of him and then use Allen at the back half.
Speaker 5: Think mcdom it's better coming off.
Speaker 4: It's a victim of his own success.
Speaker 3: We've discussed this on this on this Maybe he wants a lu Khan or asarah Uru, who's a better line out option. And he's thinking about redigging that back row throughout the series. Right, So maybe when you look at it, you're looking at a guy who is going to start three tests. It's the best bet for three tests to start in that spot and stay there and has some consistency. And look, we've seen Joe do some pretty wild stuff with the captaincy. He named Liam Right as his very first captain right out of the blue. Lamb hadn't played for the Wallabies for five or six years, so we'll.
Speaker 5: Probably over the last two years we must have had seven or eight Wallaby captains over the last two years.
Speaker 2: So my account last year under Joe was four that Liam Wright, Slipper, Alan al Taie and Harry will.
Speaker 5: Try that Tate McDermott had one in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: So you never now twenty three that had Tate will Skelton, Will Skelton, Dave Pereki Allen also captained, So there's a Hooper Slipper.
Speaker 6: Yeah, which means you have eight people who are now leaders, whether they're captains or not. An experience of it and it's a learned skill and Rugby Australia is putting resource super rugby provinces are putting resources into what it is to be a leader and how it can It doesn't have to be necessarily the most skillful personal, or most powerful or best achieving person on the field. That's absolutely something, And there's no way a coach says, before a squad's been picked, or a ball's been kicked, or a game's been won or lost, you demotivate someone by telling them they're out of the mix for something. So right now there is every Australian rugby player thinks so a chance to play against the British ice lines. Every starting player in their aspiration of all of his test group is the captain of that group. That's a great you as a coach. You want to keep everyone in that in that sheep pen of motivation and that's that's a skillful We.
Speaker 3: Could be a couple of days away from this squad being named, like Joe said that he will do it as soon as the Brumbies are out.
Speaker 4: That could be, but that's the squad.
Speaker 3: Presumably there is a there's a sheet of paper doing around a draft sheet of paper that that has most of that squad.
Speaker 5: That could change, but that's still the squad for feets the squad.
Speaker 2: For the FII Test that, yeah, cut it back or name a new squad four or five days after that Fiji Test in Newcastle.
Speaker 3: I'm just I mean, I'm intrigued about the debate of it is why it wouldn't be Harry right, like you'd think pushing off the back fence at some corps.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe there's so much competition in the background that's it run English as well now and Harry's been in great form. But I still think for the Wallabies, you go to schools and clubs and you know yet all those could say, okay, well name me five Wallaby players. I still think that the captain of the Wallaby's needs to be there for a twelve to twenty four month period leading into the Rugby World Cup. Who's that going to be so that kids can identify I know it's John Eels, I know it's Michael Hooper, or I know it's who's the next cap.
Speaker 6: Well, there were eight hundred and fifteen orange on the weekend of the under thirteen state a ruby cabley minor six degrees named at least fifteen of them. I'll tell you what they no, no, yeah, they know they know they were a heaper and they weren't just all sooughly he's running around. There were rights mcderm even down in the middle of New South Wales or Queen's their names Wilson's and mcwright's, and the names names manifesting itself. Lots of people leaning into this Wallaby group now, lots of anticipation.
Speaker 1: I wanted to come back to you, Tim, like you talk about it.
Speaker 2: The Wallaby captain needs to be revered at a certain level, particularly leading into the next World Cup, which is here in Australia. In the hot seat, you're back as a selector, got to say in this who are you picking?
Speaker 5: I was selected Eddie Jones.
Speaker 6: Don't forget.
Speaker 5: So that's what you're going to say.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, let me just pretend that you are in the hot seat in a position to have a vote or have a say. Who are you picking out of the current crop to be the captain of the Wallaby's next year?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well there's four or five. But I think if you look, as I said from the start, someone like a Fraser mcwright, who's going to be there for the next four or five years with a Wallaby jersey on. He's someone you'd look to, but then there's different like Harry Wilson's done a great job. Tate McDermot is going to be with the Wallabies for a long period of time. So I just think you need a centerpiece, a person that kids can go. I know he's the Wallaby captain you look for most other sports, Cricket in particular course because it's our national sport. You know who the captain is of the Australian cricket team.
Speaker 6: I love Harry Wilson's quote when he signed his extension was one of the best things I've read from Australier. You play. I cannot expect other people to commit to this environment and stay here and reject offers. I don't do the same thing. I never thought about going overseas.
Speaker 5: And he and he committed past the Rugby World Cup.
Speaker 6: That's outstanding. You can get behind that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's been a lot of the word out of Wallabies or that environment. On the back of Harry being captain was he was a bloke that players wanted to play for and play with. So that's a pretty good mark as a captain. I just want to come back to something you said before about twenty twenty three, which obviously was traumatic. Let's comically refer to twenty twenty three three. I can't remember exactly. I think I've really forgotten about it, but there was a big review out of what happened. What transpired that year was leadership or a look at leadership. Part of the findings of that review after the twenty three World Cup.
Speaker 6: It was an examination of what is the Australian Rugby pathway doing for player development in everything other than physical performance? What are they doing about the mental side of the game and the leadership aspect of producing high performing athletes but also high performing minds that have the capacity to dissect and problem solve and then deliver. There's only a small percentage of that group that can go to the rarefied air of being a leader to be able to dissect, problem solve, calculate A and B and then deliver C back to some people in extreme adversity. And that was one of one of the outcomes was that that there needs to be a common platform and a common foundation, national program, if you will, of leadership identification firstly and then development and also cultural sensitivity of different types of leadership. There is different cultural aspects involved in the group. Now, Australia is one of the most diverse multicultural societies, so is our sporting field, and that needs to be delivered in different ways and that gets engagement. And the only way to get getting handled. A title is not a form of engagement, excepting that the person who is wanting to receive that title is first able to manifest itself in all sorts of different education programs. I think that's been a big change since twenty three as well. Absolutely super rugular provinces have taken away this parochialism that you know, this is our secret. We've got culture, we've got the best program, we know how to develop leaders here and you don't. There are some tactical now, so there are some themes that you want to have intrinsic to each environment. But a national leadership program is one of one of the one of the outcomes for coaches as well as athletes come out of it.
Speaker 5: I just say very quickly, I mean the best teams that I've been involved in, whether that's a World Cup team or the thing called the Bledislow that no one's seen for a long period of time. There was probably six or seven blokes in that team that could have had the see next to their name. One bloke did that was John Eels. But you had this leadership group that could and I reckon the Wallabies aren't far off that Googie mentioned before. There's four or five players who could have the sea next to their name. One bloke's going to get it, you think, unless they go with co captaincy and you've got all this other leadership around. I think we're not far off that at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't think we're actually going to find out until all the twenty three to play fee g. At least we're not going to actually find out who that captain is going to be. I can't see Joe naming it any sooner than he names the team for the first Test this year. But he is a fascinating conversation and as you say, Justin will always make people sit forward talk Whileabies captain interesting. A guy who has captained his nation in sevens. Henry Hutchison is going to join us. He is exploring a new frontier as we speak.
Speaker 5: I just sent back to himself the right arm of Gods and he's good.
Speaker 8: Well, betters and leaves, He'll skip hanging for the high five, but the cut inside the belt back out it gets yourself beckoned to the plate makes them available. Henry Hutchinson, he is with every sip because he does so much yards in the middle of the park of this team.
Speaker 1: And very pleased to say the Aussie men sevens fly.
Speaker 2: Henry Hutchison joins US now from Mumbai ahead of the Indian Rugby Premier League. Hutch how you just quickly, mate, how you finding India?
Speaker 1: Finding Mumbai?
Speaker 4: I'm mistay.
Speaker 1: Really enjoyed it.
Speaker 9: Oh here, definitely something new. It's been quite eye opening that the foot has been pretty hard as well, so definitely no holiday. Well she's made it still a bronco on the third day, so I wasn't too stoked about that. So we're really getting stuck into it.
Speaker 1: Good to hear, mate.
Speaker 2: We'll double back to that competition and what's ahead and how it's going and what it could mean. But there's been some big news in the world of World Series sevens in recent weeks. We saw recently that Ireland announced that they've cut their men's program. There's been reports recently that Great Britain are going to take their men's and women's programs back to or they're not going to be full time after July this year? Is there a bit of nervousness as a prominent World sevens player about the future of the game and the world series.
Speaker 9: The media coming out about SEVENS the last you know, a couple of months hasn't been great. Definitely doesn't paint a great picture for the games, especially coming off such a successful Olympic campaign for sevens. So there's definitely a bit of nervousness and rows across the group. I do think that the new product, if delivered world will be successful and will put SEVENS back into the place where it has been for so many years pre COVID, and it offers a great opportunity for all nations in set in sevens one, two and three to to develop and to have a shot at winning world titles and qualified to the Olympics. Is a very open competition. I guess it's a time will tell kind of situations that the first year goes well.
Speaker 5: I think I was gonna say paid. One of the biggest advantages rugby has is the SEVENS program. You can get a kid schools or rugby club, especially for the emails for the women joining rugby, and that's their biggest entree is the SEVENS program, And you know, to go to those skills and say, well you get a chance to potentially play in the Olympics. Other codes don't have. That's so hard, I'd say, especially in the women's program. It's a really important part of the ecosystem of rugby in Australia especially.
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely, I think, you know, sometimes we're in our own little bubble in Australia. I would also say that SEVENS you know, especially in Asia right now, is what they're playing. It's only the rugby. It's only rugby game they know. You know, it's huge in Sri Lanka's huge in here in India. So this we need SEVENS to be visible in the rugby ecosystem at all times, and we need it to be a good product and exciting product for kids to want to play.
Speaker 4: And then in.
Speaker 9: Australia exactly right, a lot of the women playing rugby are only exposed to SEVENS while going through school and that's such a great product to retain and recruit talent but also develop talent and move talent onto.
Speaker 4: Super Rugby or Wallabies or wherever you want to go.
Speaker 9: So, you know, it's really important that we have a good strong sevens program here in Australia, but it's also super important that we have a good strong sevens product across the globe so we can get more players playing the game.
Speaker 3: You mentioned the Olympics and obviously we can remember those great I think a six days wasn't it like full stadiums in France there? So obviously the product is really received well at that Olympic stage. But I think something we've seen in Super rugby was like a lot of chopping and changing and it didn't help the comp and sevens is probably going through a little bit of that now. Do you hope that this new iteration is the one that you know it can be bettered down and just a bit of stability in that format?
Speaker 9: Definitely? I think yes. The key word there is stability. We've had you know, sixteen men's teams go to.
Speaker 4: Twelve and they'll go to eight.
Speaker 9: We've had different amount of tournaments each year start at ten, makes year eleven, then eight and seven, so there's been no stability for the players but also for the viewers, which makes it really hard to follow. So Lord Rugbies committed to this new top eight model with seven's one, two and three for the next three years. So they're finalizing on the host cities, some new host cities to bring the rugby sevens game back to rugby markets. So it's not all just about growing the game in small markets, you know, trying to sell out, sell out the events, sell out some big stadiums or for the matter of fact, the right size stadium so twenty to thirty thousand stadiums and do that consistently will bring performances. We'll get people watching the game again and I think that'll be great for sevens in Australia but also global.
Speaker 6: Had you you talk about consistency, instability, and you've been in that program for ten plus years almost now and had had some time in Super fifteen's as well. Great career. But so the Indian Premier League comes in, right, you talk about consistency and as a player you get excited about opportunity and this concept of innovation. Can you see these two complimenting each other. It's about growth of game. We know that sevens is a growth model, but it also is an elite performance Olympic sport. So sometimes those two don't go together. You don't want to be a traveling road show, but you want a complimentary product. What's your experience over there now? And how do you think the delivery of World seven series is going to complement India and vice versa.
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely, you know, I think seven has always been pushed and pulled on of the elite. We're trying to win a gold medal and yes, but also we're trying to get the best talent in Australia, to develop them and then send them on to all of the honors as well. So it's getting that balance, right, I think this IPL, so this RPL obviously a great opportunity for this to allow players to stay in the rugby seven system. You know, so many times players leave the program to go to AW, go to a new team or a different league, and that hinders the talent that we have in the Australian team. This RPL, if worked together with Rugby, with World Rugby, you know, should complement each other. It's another great avenue for you know sevens esteem the SEVENS players to play somewhere else, to play with other players, to have a new experience, but also to get another form of payment. You know, to to increase some revenue streams, which allows them to say, hey, look I can really have a career playing sevens, you know, give my best to making sure that we are competing for a gold medal when it comes, but also to help develop the best new talent coming out of Australia and I can go to India or if it changes, it goes to Strilank in a couple of years, you know, once or twice a year to really boost my income and I can have a really successful career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Well, Rugby's, as you say, keeping a close eye on it.
Speaker 1: They're invested in.
Speaker 2: I know Rugby Australia also very interested to see how it goes as well, this franchise model. But you've been over there for a couple of weeks now, Hutch training hard and even doing some coaching clinics like what's the rugby ecosystem is a word we love on this show. What's it like in India and what's the experience been like? When do you play against your Aussie teammate and Maurice Longbottom and those sort of things.
Speaker 9: We actually have a scratch match against Nozin's team this afternoon so our first kind of feeling out, so he should expect some flying elbows into his head to actually, I'll probably miss him if I fly with my elbow. Maybe some flying knees. Look, there's definitely appetite here. You know, there's twenty five million people here in Mumbai. We're owned by Dream Sports and they're in a massive online platform for fantasy cricket in India, Dream eleven and they have two hundred and sixty eight million users and their idea is to create a RPL fantasy platform in India.
Speaker 1: So there's so much potential.
Speaker 9: Obviously, a lot of thet a lot of the Indians don't know what rugby is. Rugby is usually played in places from humble beginnings. So to get it out on their mainstream media, that on TV for fourteen days straights in the city of Mumbai, where they believe that's where the city is where dreams come alive, is crucial. You know, if we can just get a drop in the ocean of that population to buy in on rugby, you know, who knows where this could go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty exciting.
Speaker 2: Comp runs from the fifteenth to the twenty ninth to June and we'll be keeping an eye on when you and James Turner, Ozzie and Mumbai teammate do in earnest come head to head with mys. Great to chat to you, Hutch, All the best over there.
Speaker 1: Awesome thanks having on guys.
Speaker 5: Stay away from the rogan Josh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fantastic to see those Ozzie sevens guys as well as the women's national coach Tim Walsh is over there coaching, as Hutch said, the Mumbai Dreamers as well.
Speaker 1: In that competition.
Speaker 2: Those Ossies doing well abroad and there's some over in the UK doing really well also.
Speaker 10: A fumingly good tribes well beyond the ten meter line.
Speaker 6: It's drawing the penalty as well. And holla holla, he's.
Speaker 10: Releasing clarisy, rapping down a side of red. Is it clarisic on the line? First blood, an.
Speaker 5: Instant m punch, first touch for the Australian.
Speaker 1: Putting the Tiger's buck in fronts what to try that was by?
Speaker 2: Is he perici helping the Michael Checker coach Lester Tigers into the English Premiership final or they will take on Bath. You spoke to Michael Checker in recent days. He's the chance of picking up another piece of silverware and going to a level that no other coach in the world has gone to.
Speaker 1: But I found interesting in your interview with him.
Speaker 2: Two comments he made was that he doesn't feel like there's any place for him in Australian rugby anymore, and that he could never coach Queensland. We know the Red's job's going to be vacant mid twenty twenty six. Why do you think he feels like he's not wanted here. Well, we've just got chatting about what's next. Obviously he's got this because he's done doing one season. Lester has told them that he's not staying. Remarkably, you could win a comp in one year, which is incredible. We're just chatting about what's next for him, and he was talking.
Speaker 5: About does he want to come home?
Speaker 4: He is coming home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So he and his family moved home after I finished up with Argentina. They was but based in France and the Lester thing came about very quickly, so the family stayed hit and he basically gave his assurance that he would come home. So, yes, he's looking for to spend some time at home. One of those options is rugby League. He's made no secret of looking at that. But yeah, his comment was there's there's no future for me in rugby and Australia, and I think that was based off that he was interested in the Warrortize vacancy when it was up and didn't get a look in, and then was obviously interested in the Wallabies as well. Had a coffee with Phil war that didn't go anywhere either. I mean, he wasn't bitter about it. He was saying, like, I understand, you know, it's not not saying it in a negative way. But if I was to coach in Australia, it would be rugby league. If I was to coach keep coaching rugby union, I'd have to go back overseas.
Speaker 4: So that was one element.
Speaker 3: The other the other element was I said, well there are rugby jobs coming up, you know, you know, the Queensland Reds are going to be looking to replace Les Kiss and he said I couldn't coach Queensland and I laughed at that and he said, no, no, seriously, I couldn't coach Queensland. There's some rivalries that means something, so you know, now never know with Check like he's a very passionate guy, he said, he said that would be like meet coaching monster against Leinster, you know, like's he feels that. But as was pointed out, he coached another nation against the Wallaby, so who knows that might have been.
Speaker 5: There should be enough water that's gone under the bridge now and board members are left and railing Castle's gone a long period of time now for Michael Checker to come back. I just don't think we're going to afford to lose him if he comes back to Australia. Rugby can't afford to lose the ip intellect, the coaching ability of if check even if he goes and coaches coaches of Super Rugby level or coaches junior coaches, we lose too many of those younger coaches and you go back to Queensland Red. So surely that he'd be in a conversation for the Queensland Red's coaching role if he wants to coach again.
Speaker 2: But I think from Queensland's perspective probably, But as Pato's saying, Checker does not consider himself as a proud New South Welshman being able to do that role given the rivalry between New South Wales and Queensland. To your point about but water under the bridge, I don't think it's got anything to do with bad blood anymore. I think reading what he said to you, Pato is it's more about there's only a couple of jobs in Australian rugby that Checker would still like to do.
Speaker 6: So I mean it's waiting to be offered a job. I mean, as he applied for any Australian jobs, well the Queen's then, so I mean, you know, and also okay, everyone's got a price. I didn't think i'd play for the Lauretares against the Brumbies, but I did. It's about opportunity. I wanted to stay in Australian rugby and try and be a Wallaby. So if Michael Checker wants to come and coach in Australia, then he probably needs to know. He's a great coach. He's a great motive own a great coach. And let's not forget also PETI thank Hewitt has been very good in Japan, so it'd be great to see Michael Checker bring Peter Cwtt. He's clearly got a very good relationship with him, and we talk about coach chating combinations all the time that a complimentary We know Michael Checker is a certain type of coach and maybe Peter Hewtt, so maybe it's a package deal and maybe he's waiting for that the right environment to bring in. That's another Australian coach you bring back on shore. So I think the conundrum that Australian rugby's got to solve for is that we just don't have as many high powered seats as we would like to seat a high powered coach, which Michael Checker is.
Speaker 5: The challenge with the Queens and Red's job is he got a very good chairman there and Brett Clark, he's done a wonderful job. You've got Dave Haddon CEO. He's been a great CEO for long period of time at GM in Sam Cordingly, and they control what goes on at the Queens and Reds. There's no reliance now on Rugby Australia. They're obviously separate compared to the Brumbies in New South Wales. So Michael Checker, if he went to the Queens and Reds, he would want a fair bit of control.
Speaker 1: Just because of the nature of how he the nature of.
Speaker 5: Michael Checker in the coaching perspective. Also with the recruitment. He does a great job there, but he want more control than I reckon the Queensland Reds would be willing to give away.
Speaker 2: Can I throw a complete hypothetical actually here if one of two jobs that Checker would take or be interested in in Australia is the war Atars, the other being the Wallabies, and we know that's off the table.
Speaker 1: The Wartarz is too. But if that's the case and the Reds looking, I know where you go.
Speaker 2: Now, given that Rugby Australia controls the Wartars, could we look at maybe moving Dan mckeller, who is a Queenslander and I believe previously has stated an interest in one day coaching the Reds, move him to Queensland and take over there after Les Kiss and Michael Checker takes over the war Tars.
Speaker 5: Again interesting one.
Speaker 3: I don't think Dan would want to do it, you know, like he's committed to coaching the war a Tars and winning a comp with them, and we're probably no reason to doubt that commitment. I just I think that if the thing about Checker at the moment is that like, for whatever reason, and you're right, I don't know those how those processes go, like do you send your CV or do you wait?
Speaker 4: When you're at a certain level, do you wait for someone to ring you?
Speaker 6: I think if you're that high, yeah, check it's that high that I think it would be in a front to expect that he's going to apply for a job and go so and that takes that takes also a brave organization to go straight to that and then with stand scrutiny if it doesn't work out, Because the first thing that people go to and think when appointments don't work out is what was the process? Who was involved, who was consulted, who approved this? Those sorts of things came into question.
Speaker 5: That's a follow up from Phil Wall c Rubbie Australia. Check what would you like to do if you came back to Australia. He might have three or four options, and he goes, let's try and.
Speaker 1: Coach the Wall.
Speaker 6: It should be that phone conversation should be happening with Petty Hewitt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Petty Hewitt's obviously that's got fart.
Speaker 6: He's just finished up a kind of what's he doing?
Speaker 5: We lose a lot of that when they're when they're at the next level.
Speaker 6: You look at.
Speaker 5: Ben mull and those type of coaches, you want them to go to the next level.
Speaker 3: So the thing that you know, for whatever reason, he's been viewed as a square peg at the moment, right there's the new rugby Australian system under under Dan Herbert and Phil Wore and Peter Horn is too for alignment and for everyone to be rowing in the same boat.
Speaker 6: I don't think he's a square peg.
Speaker 1: He's type of.
Speaker 6: View. It's not square peg.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's been that way.
Speaker 6: That's that's a different person. Your man. Square peg implies aduced and difficult.
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm just saying he's been viewed as as someone who doesn't fit what they're looking for at the moment.
Speaker 6: Well, look at correct, look at all the things that we're celebrating about. You know, the contrast between Michael Chick and j Smith, for instance, sides the fact that I both coached at Leinster, it would be really interesting to see you players have been coached by both to experience those sorts of different north and South.
Speaker 5: Made Michael Checker's best coaching structure is away from Australia. He's had enormous success with Argentina and I.
Speaker 3: Think that, I mean, we're putting this on on Rugby Australia needs to figure out how to get Michael Checker home.
Speaker 4: Michael Checker may have to figure out what he's.
Speaker 5: Not doing that he doesn't get the phone, that doesn't get.
Speaker 3: The phone calls and come to you know, come to Jesus meeting where they figure out okay mate, yeah you know you are a winner. How many how many Australian coaches are doing what Michael Checker has done?
Speaker 2: No coach, no coach at the Celtic League, a super rugby So how do we get and if he adds an English.
Speaker 4: Pro, how do we get to the point where this guy is in this training system?
Speaker 3: That is a conversation that you know, if we get around the table and say here's what's why you didn't get a call for that and check and Checking could say well I can I can move to that.
Speaker 5: You know that conversation has got to happen before he comes back and gets calls from rugby league clubs.
Speaker 6: He'd be getting calls definitely, and.
Speaker 1: He's he's also let's not forget he's a fashion mogul as well.
Speaker 6: We've been on the other side of the world for how long out you know. Yeah, man, the man is and the whole family unit. You know he's probably a lot well yeah, I mean everyone does right, Everyone does different things to promote and work out what's right for them. But you know that that's a person and a family unit that you know, you're getting into territory where that austraining rugby should and needs to mobilize to find an opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've talked about coaches and development of coaches and repatriating, etc. But it's it's an interesting topic. Given checks continued success and we wish him all the best.
Speaker 1: To bring Check back in the English Premiership Final.
Speaker 2: This weekend against Bath and you'll be able to watch it on a stand. Sports Cracking absolutely be a good one. Gentlemen, We're going to quick fire through a bit of mail bag here because there's some good questions and we haven't been there in a couple of weeks. Start with Hugh Tindall. I might just come to you on paido for an update update. Huge Tindle asks any more info on the Super Rugby a i e. The new third tier proper comm with a trophy. Your just extended preseason trials.
Speaker 3: It'll be a proper comp I think it's just obviously the super rugby teams.
Speaker 5: Three games or six games.
Speaker 3: I'm not entirely short. I think it'll be a short run thing. It'll run during September. It won't clash with Club Rugby, which is important. It'll be obviously all the state based teams. You might even find the assistant coaches take more responsibility for the for the head coaching thing a great opportunity for these guys to just get more high level footy. Talking about calling it the super A or the super b, which you have thoughts on.
Speaker 1: That's my only problem.
Speaker 2: I think the moment you call a competition something a like the a version of a pre existing name, you take away some of the validity of it, and I think you automatically make people think maybe I.
Speaker 6: Won't be as interesting super rugous.
Speaker 4: Let's call it the Horn Cup, the Horn Payton Cup. One legend I like Superbia super Abous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, perfect, this one for you, good because I think it'll get your fight up from DQ. Does CANBRA deserve a team like the Brumbies? They are successful and entertaining it. Fans don't turn up. They didn't have a huge crowd on the weekend for the qualifying final. Not sure what difference a new stadium will make. Should they move to Western Sydney.
Speaker 6: No, they shouldn't move to Western Sydney. They should maintain the validity of what they're doing down there, the presence in the Southern Highlands and New South Wales South Midwest region. You know again, I was in Orange Under thirteen state carnivals and act Brumby's junior side there. There are teams from all down south there that are engaged in rugby because of the Brumbies model, so that's actually valid. The thing about Western Sydney is a New South Wales Rugby union consideration and the war Retars organization and now Rugby Australia because they're both verticals, so there is an opportunity there to work out what's going to enhance the model for Western Sydney. It is not moving the Brummies out of somewhere and turning it into a ghost town. We know that we want more crowds there and engage with it, but that program is producing. Don't forget sixty to seventy percent of a Wallaby group that are coming through every year year on you that is a valid high performance chain and step in the system.
Speaker 5: And the Brummis do a great job pregame post game with face painting for kids. A lot of people turn up, but their average crowd is only nine thousand people. So I reckon they've got to resuscitate somehow their home games. I'd be taking a game to wag or, I'd be taking game to Aubrey, I'd potentially take a home game to Melbourne. You've got to do something in that state. I know you're taking games outside of AC two.
Speaker 1: That's not going to improve the crowd in Camera.
Speaker 2: And the original question from DQ is does does do Camera deserve a team what the Brummy is because they do success.
Speaker 6: Of course they do.
Speaker 5: But take a game. To take a game to the Vikings, you might get six thousand people full house. You've got to do something. If you do the same thing next year, you're going to get an average crowd of nine thousand people.
Speaker 4: The club. The club have been ken on a couple of things.
Speaker 3: One is to try and get this new stage built in Civic, which you know there's no political will to do it, no money to do it. As well, if they did that then you know, a covered stadium, you might start to get better crowds. The other thing they want to do is play more in the sunshine, right, this is what the Raiders do well. They apply for games in the daylight for you know, financial reasons. It's better off being played in primetime in the evening.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: The weather is not the only factor, but it is a factor.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's a pretty pretty cold old night down there in Canberra as the season goes on. So if the Brumbies could just be given a couple of arvo games fish where the fish are punters want to They want to suffer for the for the love of their team all the time.
Speaker 4: You know, give the Rumby some day games and I reckon the crowds will go up.
Speaker 2: Interesting though they had day games last year, I'm not sure the crowds responded the way they expected. And even on the weekend the Raiders played Sunday in worse conditions daytime and it was a massive crowd.
Speaker 1: But I do take your point.
Speaker 5: Both those qualifying finals, one in christ Church was in christ Church that was a poor crowd as well, and the Brumby so both were about two degrees.
Speaker 2: It's not confined to keep absolutely And as you said, the Brumbies do some great things. They had some initiatives this year, the stable trying to get university students along a bit like the zoo in Duneeden. They had ticket promotions alongside the camera raiders.
Speaker 6: So it's nice city either. I mean the communis of scale have Brisbane and Sydney enjoying the fallout of people with discretionary income and just weight of numbers.
Speaker 5: Well there's the case to take it Western Sydney, but well it's not.
Speaker 6: But then numbers, the numbers are still down. Well the pnatheene used and different and you said, well, as Rugby need to tip resource into development program.
Speaker 3: Your point is there's a much deeper topic. But there's a net game there right like do we is the one measure of success? How many people come into the gate to watch them, you know, like the Wallabies, as you say, are getting a buccaload of good stuff out of the Brumbies program. To move the Brumbies program, to drastically change the Brumby's program, just to try to get more five thousand more people.
Speaker 5: Wallabies win test matches with more Brumbies players in no one's talking about the crowd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely great discussion, gentlemen, not as great. That's a rat On insideline this week.
Speaker 9: What