S1: We know that Donald Trump has made a habit out of rewarding dictators and throwing off the shackles of long standing relationships with allies. But even for him, the last few days have been explosive. I'm Samantha Zellinger Maurice, and you're listening to The Morning Edition from The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald. Today, international and political editor Peter Hartcher on Donald Trump's latest appeasement of North Korean dictator Kim Jong UN and the threats he's issued to Oman. It's August the 20th. Peter, welcome back to the podcast.
S2: Pleasure to be here, Samantha.
S1: Okay. Well, I guess we're going to have to start with the latest threats first. Why has Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman?
S2: Well, there are particular technical, specific reasons, but if I can offer an amateur psychological explanation of Trump and the situation he's in, I'd say it's because he's like a trapped beast who is cornered. He can't get out of this trap that he's made for himself by Fecklessly entering this war without a workable strategy or a functional exit plan. And he hates it. And when he's trapped, he thrashes around and lashes out. And that's exactly what he's done in this case.
S3: With ships stuck in the Strait of Hormuz and talks dead in the water. President Trump Monday took aim not at Iran, but longtime U.S. ally Oman, which shares the strait and has been negotiating control of the waterway with the regime.
S4: This morning, the president tells Fox News, and I'm quoting the president right now, listen to this. If Oman gets in the way, we'll bomb the shit out of them. Those are the president's words.
S2: So he's blaming Oman, which is not an aggressor or an opponent. In fact, since 1980, the US military has been using military bases, Omani military bases. They've been an ally of the US in recent weeks and months. They've been important as a mediator in between the US. On the one hand, US Israel on the one hand and Iran on the other. So it's a strange choice of target to say, um, or at least in conventional logic and functional statecraft, to say that my ally and my vital interlocutor and intermediary here, I'm going to blow the shit out of you. It's it's not conventional. Um, shall we, shall we say.
S1: To say the least? I mean, certainly other analysts have called it shocking.
S2: Well, it's it's just, it's just counterproductive. It's as, it's as simple as that. You're already having trouble with your enemy, your chosen enemy, Iran. Why would you also want to alienate your communication channel with that enemy? It's bafflingly bad, but it's no worse than many of Trump's other strategic and diplomatic fumbles and disasters. And it's also consistent with the pattern we've seen from him from the very beginning, which is that he is always keen to do favors for America's traditional enemies, dictators and autocrats. But he's always anxious at any opportunity to attack America's allies and friends, which of course, degrades America's greatest single advantage in in in the world, in geopolitics. America's greatest single advantage isn't the size of its budget or the size of its population or its geography. It's the fact that it has an unparalleled set of some 40 allies, including almost all the wealthy democracies on earth, and Trump just continues to damage that, degrade that priceless US asset, and willfully hand power over to America's enemies. It is unrelenting. It is counterproductive. And it's just baffling.
S1: And it's seemingly continuous, too, because let's move on to Asia because in the last few days alone, we've seen some of Trump's moves there, which just exemplify what you've just been talking about. Because not only has the US pulled its last aircraft carrier out of Asia, but Donald Trump also ordered the Pentagon to scale back on joint military exercises with South Korea also a vital American ally. So I guess, can you walk us through the significance of both of these decisions, Peter.
S2: Well, let's take the aircraft carrier redeployment first. In 1996, there was a crisis where it appeared that China was about to take military action, perhaps a full scale invasion of Taiwan. The US responded in 96 by sending two aircraft carrier battle groups to stand off the Taiwan Strait as a deterrent and a warning to Beijing. Now, if there were a similar crisis tomorrow, and of course, that's an unresolved bit of business. According to the People's Republic of China, and XI Jinping in particular has said it's the burden of his generation. In other words, his tenure as leader to take control of Taiwan. If there were a similar crisis tomorrow. The US has no available aircraft carrier strike groups because they've just been sent to back up his failing war in the Middle East. The power that does have two available aircraft carriers to send to the Taiwan Straits today is China. China has built and now operates three aircraft carriers. Two of them operated together for the first time just a couple of months ago. So this is a brand new capability that the Chinese Communist Party now has as an asset, which it can deploy. And it's an asset which the US has always had. But today, as of this week, has no longer. And it's an illustration of how bad strategy in one part of Trump's world produces knock on consequences that weaken the US in other parts of the world. And it's consistent with what's been happening since the beginning of this Iran war, where the US has drawn down assets from the Indo-Pacific, which, according to all US doctrine and strategy in recent decades has been identified as the US's primary sphere, where it needs to dominate instead. Trump has not only deployed as we now see aircraft carriers because with the Lincoln, it's become such a debacle and they need to relieve it and they need to send relief.
S5: To the Centcom commander, Admiral Bradley Cooper, visiting the USS Abraham Lincoln in the region following reports of food shortages and concerns over the mental health of sailors on the ship.
S6: With morale. With exhaustion. I mean, this is an incredibly long deployment, 268 days. But even more serious than that, they have not been in port all year, more than 200 days. And that really does put a strain on those sailors and Marines. I think that's why, Admiral.
S2: So again, you know, one bad piece of management begets the next fumble. But they've also drawn down vital assets from Japan Pan and South Korea, US allies, where they've taken air defense systems out of those countries to send them to protect US assets in the Gulf against Iran. And of course, they've run down their stocks of munitions, and notably Patriot interceptor missiles. And they've taken some from the Indo Pacific and taken them to Central Command to feed their war against Iran, which is running. You'll remember Trump advertise it as a 2 to 4 week war. Well, it's now five months and counting. So it's yet another cost that the US pays. But also US allies pay around the world for Trump's bad strategy and chaotic management. The second part that you asked about Samantha is the South Korean part. Again, this is a case study in Trump harming a US ally to the advantage of a US enemy, where he's said, on the cusp of the annual joint exercises between the US and South Korea, its close U.S. ally since 1950. That he's going to curtail the size of the exercises as a favor to Kim Jong un, the North Korean dictator. At the same time, we learned today that Trump has been seeking meetings with Kim Jong UN, and for some reason, Trump seems to think that he's a friend or ally, that Kim Jong UN is a special pal. We know that in Trump's first term as president, he described an exchange of love letters with Kim Jong un. They've said they love each other in these letters, but in reality, the love has flowed only one way. At no point has Kim Jong UN given the US a single concession, not one concession to Trump and on the contrary, since the first summit with Trump, North Korea has only redoubled its efforts, built its nuclear stockpile, improved and strengthened its ballistic and intercontinental ballistic missile stockpile, and is in a stronger and more aggressive position than it's been in decades. And Kim Jong un has specifically renounced the country's long standing aim to reunite with South Korea, and has said that it's going to be its confrontation, its war. So how he how Trump can possibly think this man is an ally is simply baffling. South Korea, on the other hand, a genuine ally is now weakened. US commitment to South Korea is now in doubt. And the message goes out from that decision to all other US allies that their positions are weakened, that the US is unreliable. This is again a continuation of his undercutting of allies in NATO. So this is no longer just the undermining of NATO and the peculiar Maga aggression towards Europe as some sort of civilizational faux. But now also the US allies in the theater, which it's identified as not only the centrepiece and the larger single piece of the global economy, but also the greatest theater of contest for US influence in the world. Over the course of this century, in what Joe Biden used to call the contest for the 21st century. Well, if it's a contest. XI Jinping is winning that one, and Donald Trump is losing.
S1: After the break.
S2: If there were any justification for doing a favor for Kim Jong UN, it would be because there was some meaningful concession coming the other way, from Pyongyang to Washington or to Seoul. There's no evidence of that whatsoever.
S7: Can you help us, I guess.
S1: Make sense of why Trump in particular, would be wanting to pull back on these joint exercises with South Korea now? I mean, do you think is he wanting to possibly renegotiate or restart negotiations with Kim Jong un to try to get him to dismantle his nuclear program, which, like you said, the last time he tried this, if anything, it backfired enormously because he, like you say, Kim Jong un redoubled his efforts. I believe he's got something like 60 nukes and missiles that can hit the United States. Or is it perhaps something else? I mean, is Trump trying to perhaps just punish South Korea for declining to join Trump in his war against Iran?
S2: Well, that's a justification that Trump has used, that the South Koreans refuse to help him with his war in Iran. But no U.S. ally has agreed to help him with his war in Iran first because he consulted none of them. Second, because he launched the war together with Israel as a. Well, I was going to say unilaterally, but I suppose if it's with Israel, it's bilateral against the interests and wills of other US allies. So you can't, you know, fail to consult them, act against their interests by cutting the global oil supply and creating an inflation problem for the planet where there was none before. And then demand that your allies help you in a strategy which is plainly failing, and then get angry at them and decline to help them, and then, in fact, harm their interests after you've treated them so offhandedly and so badly. So that's his justification. I don't think it makes any sense, but he has used that as his justification. So but the question you ask is why is he is what's what's the real reason that he's taking this otherwise baffling step? And so, yes, he is asking Kim Jong un to meet. Presumably he thinks he can get concessions from Kim Jong un that he's never been able to get before, despite their three in-person meetings. And let's take a step back, Samantha. Um, which of these dictators and traditional US allies has done Trump any favors? Which of them has cut a serious concession for the US, for Trump, as Vladimir Putin paid the least heed to Donald Trump's demands and pleadings and pressuring us to come to some sort of agreement or peace deal with Ukraine. No. Has XI Jinping cut Trump any real or significant concession? He's cut him some token Concessions on trade, which we know from their previous agreements. China likely XI Jinping likely will not deliver on. And Trump is hoping to get some more concessions from him at their meeting coming up on September 24th. But but no, XI Jinping in any meaningful sense has not given the US any concessions and in fact, told the US he would be cutting off China's flow of rare earth and critical minerals to the US, which brought Trump to heel. And Trump had to withdraw his threats of tariffs on China. So again, no favors to the US there. Has Kim Jong un done a single favor for Donald Trump or the US? No, he's done quite the opposite. These are the people that Donald Trump says he admires and likes, the people he said he enjoys doing business with. Every one of them defies him. I mean, sure, in person, they flatter him, they smile. They tell him what a great guy he is and continue to work against his interests and continue to erode US power and influence around the world. And Trump continues as if he thinks this is a brilliant strategy, while launching yet more acts of aggression against his allies, whether that's strategic, diplomatic and military harm to their interests or it's economic through either the higher oil price and inflation, or his preoccupation with putting tariffs on everybody, including countries with whom he has no trade disputes, and countries which are his notional allies.
S1: It does sound like this is, I guess, from an onlooker's perspective, an irrational decision of Trump. I mean, I've heard it described as one writer in The Atlantic said America and the rest of the world are now witnessing a public exhibition of narcissistic rage. You know, he's just sort of kicking out, I guess, at his humiliation over Iran, which of course, he thought was going to bring him glory. But I guess let's just ask you about this appeasement of Kim Jong un. How dangerous perhaps it could be, because it does seem a bit nuts that, for lack of a more nuanced word, that that Trump is pulling back from these joint exercises with South Korea because it looks as though North Korea is more threatening than ever. Right? It used to be a global pariah. Now it's got allies in Russia and China, not to mention the fact that the North Korean military has become more battlefield ready as a result of the troops that it's lent to Russia to use in Ukraine. Apparently, they've become adept at drone warfare and other sort of modern types of warfare. So isn't this the exact wrong time, I guess, to be appeasing North Korea or to be giving North Korea more power? Not to mention the fact that there are numerous thousands of American soldiers stationed in Korea, right? I mean, some of them quite close to the DMZ.
S2: Yeah. There are some 30,000 U.S. soldiers who've been there to help protect South Korea. And remember, the Korean War has never ended. They have an armistice in place. They don't have any peace deal. The war technically is still active. The US has had that presence there to deter North Korean aggression ever since the end of the Korean War in 1953. And it's the colloquial way of looking at it. It's a tripwire to bring the US guaranteed. If the North Koreans cross the line and trigger the wire, it's guaranteed to bring the US into the conflict, to protect its ally, to protect a democratic country where liberty is valued and a standout in the success of a free market economy in the last three quarters of a century. In stark contrast, of course, to North Korea, one of the most repressive and impoverished dictatorships on the planet. So, yes. Is there is there if there were any justification for doing a favor for Kim Jong UN, it would be because there was some meaningful concession coming the other way from Pyongyang to Washington or to Seoul. There's no evidence of that whatsoever. Kim Jong un and his father and grandfather, the previous leaders, have always wanted the US to ease back the South Koreans to back off their exercises. Trump is now doing them that favor without any concession in return. But Samantha, you've also touched on another reason that this is such a bad move and such a counterproductive tactic for the US and its traditional allies, because he's cutting a favor to another traditional US enemy. And that is within this is another favor to Russia, to his mate Vladimir Putin, because if there's military pressure, if the threat of a us-south Korean resistance against North Korean depredations is lessened, it takes pressure off North Korea so that Kim Jong UN is free to supply more troops to his friend and ally, Vladimir Putin, to fight the war against Ukraine. We know from Vladimir Zelensky's address to the nation a couple of weeks ago, that Ukrainian intelligence found that the Russians had asked North Korea to supply another 30,000 troops to help them with their war against Ukraine, which is enough to feed the Russian meat grinder on the battlefield for only one month. But it's it's one month more than Putin would otherwise have. So taking pressure off North Korea allows Kim Jong un to satisfy that demand more easily without feeling any threat at home. So once again, again, a consistent pattern. Over the years, Trump is helping his. His good friend and mate. A mate who ignores all of his requests, pressures and demands, completely thumbs his nose at him and continues to humiliate him. He's doing him a great favor by. With this action of sending, of pulling back on the US exercises with South Korea.
S1: It's very difficult to make sense of Peter, but we're so glad that you've helped us this morning.
S2: In a sane and rational universe. There is no way to make sense of this, Samantha. All we can do is is is gasp and gasp and observe.
S1: Yeah. That's right. Thanks, Peter, as always for your time.
S2: Pleasure, Samantha.
S1: In other news today, aviation professionals say that a lack of available gates at Sydney Airport is forcing planes to idle on the taxiway after landing as they wait for a free bay. Burning unnecessary amounts of fuel and holding up passengers from disembarking. Multinational data business costar has told its Australian staff to work from the office full time, following the likes of NAB, Amazon and Dell, and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has raided Wisetech global, founded by Richard White, in another blow to the logistics software company, sending its shares plummeting. You can read more at the age.com.au or smh.com.au. Today's episode was produced by Kai Wang. Our executive producer is Tammy Mills, and our podcasts are overseen by Lisa Muxworthy and Tom McKendrick. If you like our show, follow The Morning Edition and leave a review for us on Apple or Spotify. Thanks for listening.