Speaker 1: Yes, hello and welcome to another episode of Freddy and the Eighth. Great to have your company, of course, we are proudly brought to you by a sports bet and great to see you.
Speaker 2: And you're John's bread Fitlin.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 4: Don, How we are.
Speaker 2: Feeling midway through the weekend? Midway through the season?
Speaker 3: What do they call mid sorry?
Speaker 5: Home way through the season. It's awesome.
Speaker 1: What a great year, fantastic and you get the feeling that it's gonna get more exciting.
Speaker 5: What do you think about the latter? Do you think the team?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 5: What do you you got Canterbury Worm, Canbra Worries Melbourne? Do you think they will change?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: I think that will be There'll be top four. Well, Raiders have still got three buyers. Raiders are locking. I think Melbourne are locking the other two? Well, who's coming fifth? The Sharks are two wins out. I think the top four stays.
Speaker 1: The Raiders are interesting with the buyers they're locked in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, good job to Ricky's men.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we've got a huge show coming up here today on Freddy in the Eighth.
Speaker 2: We cannot wait for this one.
Speaker 1: One of our best and biggest guests so far, the new South Wales premier Chris Mins joins us on the couch. We also cross into Blues camp with state of origin teams name we'll run our eyes over them. Plus we're going to be previewing a huge weekend of footy two, so so much look forward to. And we do have some breaking news as well on the great eighth Immortal Andrew John's so.
Speaker 2: We'll tell you very shortly.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into it and talk about things that have been happen. I think that's a shorter list around the grounds. What about this Monday we had the Bulldogs with another fantastic win the fans.
Speaker 2: This is just such a good showing.
Speaker 1: We've seen game after game where they've had so many people out and.
Speaker 5: About oh and Air on Monday to watch the game. Took a couple of schoolmates. Actually one of them is a mad Bulldogs fan. And not only the teams obviously performing will be you just tell the whole club he's doing a fantastic job. The entertainment on the day. You know the way the team runs down, they obviously walk across from the hotel. You know the way they enter the field. There's a light show going on the whole thing is just entertaining, and you know the team's just actually just capping it off. And I was up the Chris Mins was actually a couple of boxes up from where I was sitting and just watching them react to what was going on. As well as.
Speaker 3: Awesome a team response they lift because.
Speaker 1: Of it, is it also a smart move as well? You're doing this in the season so that maybe potentially if they do make it to.
Speaker 2: The Grand Final, it's not as they're used to exactly.
Speaker 5: It's not as overwhelming an event they used to be occasions. What they said about the first time they walked over, that was Easter weekend when they played South and that was I think sixty five thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good Friday.
Speaker 5: So they walked over basically just getting people used to get them used to lift in their heart rate.
Speaker 1: And the film with there that surrounds it all. Yeah, well, good job to all the Bulldogs fans as well. And we've also got probably one of the best rugby league photos we have ever seen.
Speaker 2: Have look at this. I don't get it.
Speaker 3: It's called pure enjoys.
Speaker 1: Oh I get who is it?
Speaker 3: It's our man?
Speaker 1: Is that one of our producers here on fred In the eighth. He's very excited. That actually took me a minute to work out.
Speaker 7: That is.
Speaker 4: Just give.
Speaker 1: If we've got our producer talking to us right now, he's denying that it's him. So if you at home know who that is or no related or anything, send us an email. Of course, our email address is still going f A.
Speaker 2: At nine dot com dot au. We've we've had some great emails in so far. What we're going to.
Speaker 3: Say to is like nah, to say it.
Speaker 1: Well, he certainly enjoyed his time at the footy two. All right, let's talk a bit of a.
Speaker 2: State of origin. I don't think he didn't see kickoff, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Origin selections, there has been a lot of change for Queensland's obviously the big one. A week ago we sat here on the lounge and we spoke about Billy Slater whether he would choose Tom Didon or Dally Cherry Evans for the number seven jersey. You were very strong on the fact that you thought that he should have chosen didn't But I remember asking you, do you think that he'll make that tug put and you didn't think he didn't think?
Speaker 2: What did you make of it?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 2: When Bill did pull the trigger.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a brave move.
Speaker 6: It's one of the bravest moves we've seen for Queensland in Origin to drop their captain.
Speaker 3: I just think it's Dieddon's time.
Speaker 6: He's played four Origin maybe five is twenty four to twenty five, but we know dcu's thirty six. Something had to change. They scored one try in two games and that was off an Era, a big tackle from jeremih then a So something isn't working. So I had to pull the trigger, just had to. But it's a big call, very brave call.
Speaker 5: If you look at Tommy Didn's last two games. They played Manly and we're in the game and got boot and as they played Melbourne where they were in the game for about thirty minutes thirty five minutes or so and got boot as well. So you know, it's a big difference coming onto the field as a utility to being the starting number seven as well. So it's a massive job. But I feel like Billy doesn't learn in eagle Queensland don't if they don't pull the trigger, well, this is the game.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 5: Put it under pressure and just see how they go. You know, obviously he's asking his team to play on effort because that's what Tom Didn's all about, his effort. So it's not going to be about structure and tactics, is going to be about effort and getting the result through that way.
Speaker 1: And this is the thing as well. The series is on the line. This is the time that you are going to have to make that big call.
Speaker 6: Well, you can look at it another way. Everyone's saying New South Far is going to win. People are saying New Southwar is going to clean sweet. So you can say, well, there's probably less pressure on Tommy or you're looking the other way.
Speaker 3: The series is on the line. I just think it is his time now.
Speaker 6: Now if you say in three or four years time he's going to be the halfback for Queensland, you're saying Tom did or in the halves whether it's him and Sammy Walker or him or whatever, but he's going to be in the halves for the next probably twenty games.
Speaker 3: Now's the time to get him in there.
Speaker 1: Another big decision that Queensland had to make this week the Captaincy Camra Munster named as captain. What did you make of this call?
Speaker 2: With this? A no brainer?
Speaker 3: It's a smart move.
Speaker 6: That mean on screen would have went close Tuna. I think also Harry Grant, but I just think we all know Munster's monster. He's a alarican and a lunatic, but sometimes at this stage of his career, you just need a bit of extra motivation and he's played that nut painting that. The most famous rugby blue jersey the number six Queensland jersey, played by Wally Lewis, Jonathan Thurston, Darren Lockyer. It's a very famous jersey in all those players with captain maybe not Jonathan's Thurston, but it's their time number six Queensland.
Speaker 3: But to see next to his name, watching with.
Speaker 5: And emoture, he needs it. I don't think his form has been outstanding. I think his reaction was when he got the call from Billy was that he thought he might have been getting dropped. So it does in gist, but I think emotionally needs a little something in the moment, and their team definitely does. If you give it a Tina, Tino's on the field for half the game, so you miss out on the leadership you're looking for for the other half. So I think it's a really it's a good move and it's up to him now.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing as well with Munster. He's such a competitor.
Speaker 1: I think that obviously he's got quite alarican personality off the field and people see that, but he is just yeah, he cares so much about the result, and I think a lot.
Speaker 3: Of it's smoking, not a lot of it, Some of its smoke and mirrors. Also he plays up to it.
Speaker 5: He's been made, he's made big changes this year. You can see looks different, you know's obviously his whole life's change. He's got three kids now married. It's all you know. Two is it?
Speaker 3: You've got to scoop for us?
Speaker 5: Is only too right. I think I was talking to rebout it this morning. I think she told me three. So I'm going to blame around there. But yeah, now's the time.
Speaker 3: Good luck to we.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well there you go. It's going to be an interesting one, an interesting.
Speaker 1: Showdown at ufter Stating in Perth that is now just a week away as well, and don't forget as well, all the action exclusive at live and free right here on Nine's Wide World of Sports. We can wait for that and we will be chatting all things at New South Wales as well. Coming out very shortly, but stick around because we are joined by a very special guest, stub Naxt.
Speaker 4: Sorry about the weather yesterday.
Speaker 8: We hope it comes good today and I'm sorry about the performance of the.
Speaker 3: Cowboy running it straight at Chris Mims.
Speaker 2: Can we tee that up?
Speaker 6: Freddy's Mandy's going to tee it up?
Speaker 3: He's tackling techniques of origin.
Speaker 6: One you think, let's tee it up origin New South Wales b Queensland for the premiere has got to love it.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go.
Speaker 1: We are very close to teeing it up because I'm pleased to say the New South Wales premier Chrismins joins us here on the couch. Great to see you, Thanks for joining us as well. Have you heard anything from the Queensland premiere?
Speaker 7: He didn't mention that. No, he was a bit quiet on the run Straight challenge. But we're not close at all to that happening and there's no way I'm going to do that.
Speaker 3: But he's good value, he's a good fellow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's good fun and we text a lot about natural disasters or things that need to happen on the border and he's very helpful. He sent a ton of sees volunteers from Queensland down to the mid North Coast during the recent flight, which was genuinely what we needed.
Speaker 4: It was fantastic.
Speaker 5: Is that always a way premier is always working together?
Speaker 7: I think in the past there's been bluing between, you know, different different premiers, sometimes in the same party he's in he's in the other party from me, but mostly mostly across Australia, people will put down, you know, their spears if there's something that needs to be done, which is what I think everyone would expect anyway, right.
Speaker 1: Do you have a going for Game two or the Origin series as a whole with him?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we were searching around for one and eventually we came across the idea. We only struck the deal after Origin one was completed. Actually, so the loser of Origin has to strike or has to record a tourism ad for the winner's state, So he'll have to put on a budget smugglers and they're down the Bond Eye and do a vineyard tour of the Hunter Valley.
Speaker 5: That be perfect white politics. It looks like such a brutal sport politics boy. And then what's the process? You know, there's councils, state politics, federal. How have you come about being the premier?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it was probably it was a long road.
Speaker 7: I always liked it. I was interested in it when I was a kid. My old man was not so much interested in politics, but a big labor guy, and really he sort of talked about it a lot. We my brother and my sister got into it that way. I was the only one that joined, and he joined the party very briefly, but went to a branch meeting and thought it was just a racket.
Speaker 4: I ever thought I'm not getting.
Speaker 7: Involved, but I kept at it, and you know, ever since I've been seventeen, i've been a member.
Speaker 4: I've largely enjoyed it.
Speaker 7: I mean, it can be stressful and difficult at times, but most of the.
Speaker 4: Time it's good fun.
Speaker 3: And you're a dogs fan, massive dogs must be pumped. That's how they're going.
Speaker 7: They played so well. I was just saying the Duneker that I don't really want to put the mocker on them. It's just such a great season. And I was surprised that they made such a big move on lockey Galvin, but you know, seemingly on the basis of Monday's game. That was the right call and I reckon. I mean, we were talking about it in the office. There's heaps of Bulldogs fans in the office, Sarah and James and everybody's ad a mad Dogs fan, and we were talking about the move and how he was going to move into the halves potentially, and what a big call it was given the team was coming first and the fact that it went off without a hitch.
Speaker 4: I reckon.
Speaker 7: A lot of the credit should go to Sexton actually, because there's no social media post, there's no leaking to the media.
Speaker 4: This is just straight. He just gets on with it. So they seem to have.
Speaker 7: A good culture, and culture is probably what wins premierships.
Speaker 3: Well, you would have been involved with some good operators. Phil Goirld.
Speaker 6: The way he's turned that club around, what he did at Penrith now at the Bulldogs, Yeah, must be a great operator.
Speaker 3: He must admire what he's done.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's seemingly ruthless, but that's what you need to win a competition, and you know, as a Bulldogs fan, you know it's fantastic to see. Also also the Warriors as well, he was involved over there as well, so he's obviously knows what he's doing. But yeah, look, I think they've got what it takes. But they're obviously a young team and they seem to have that grit.
Speaker 5: Their back roll was incredible, the whole teams on that. I may mention after the game and it's like every Bulldogs game to go to pick a met of the match, you're like, really, yeah, they all seem to chip in so well, work so hard for each they do.
Speaker 2: It's such a team effort there.
Speaker 1: I want to know for you in your current job at the moment, it does seem like, you know, such a high pressure in the position.
Speaker 2: What does a day in the life of in New South Wales premieer entail.
Speaker 4: Well, it's sort of different. Every day. You spend a lot of time in the car.
Speaker 7: I get up really early. I think Sydney's an early morning town. Like if you go down to the beach a Cronulla or Bondi, it's full of people. Centennial Park. Everybody do an exercise. So I get up early and you train early. Yeah, I do a bit of training. I do a little bit of something every day, so it might be just twenty minutes or forty minutes, but that's enough. It's more for my mental health, I think, than my physical health. And then you're into the day. Sometimes I got things on at night, but usually just in the car. One of the good things about politics, and one of the reasons I'm involved in it, is that no two days are the same. So if you like variety, it's a good job because it might be a disaster, but it's something different. Monday can be different to Tuesday, and often if you've had a bad Monday Tuesday Wednesday, you luck and turn around by the weekend.
Speaker 4: The reverse is true as well. But you.
Speaker 5: Seen no luck with rose Hill. Now that was something everyone was listening to and everyone was watching. I think everyone who knows the area. I could see the benefit. I couldn't really understand the other side of it. But what was it like obviously working with are Peter and then the other side is not getting the result, and yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, there's no point in lying about it.
Speaker 7: I was disappointed, and I think probably the temptation is to say I know a big deal. I would have loved it. I reckon it would have been great for Sydney. I'm disappointed it didn't go through, but our housing crisis is so great. We've got reports into the government that show we lose twice as many young people as we gain every year in Sydney. And this week Sydney was named the most expensive city on Earth. So we've got all these commissions and reports that come back and say, if you don't have young people, then you don't have a future. And so rather than sort of crawling up in a ball, I think we need to take more chances, more opportunities for housing, more apartments, more units so that people can live near their mum and dad, live near their grandparents. Because at the moment, a lot of people I grew up with and the generation below mere saying I'm packing it in, I'm going to Brisbane, or I'm heading going to Melbourne, and that's at a.
Speaker 4: Big loss for us.
Speaker 3: I got a solution for you.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 3: Off the rest of the.
Speaker 6: Shark Park, which isn't too much, but the big one is you sell that whole block at Cogra Oval and then you build a boutique stadium at Brighton the Sands, or maybe down at Waterfall or in the Shire or somewhere.
Speaker 1: Well you have you'd have apartment blocks where Cogra and.
Speaker 2: Where Hue.
Speaker 3: And then your self the rest of the Shark Park.
Speaker 6: Then you have a little boutique stadium which is sort of towards Wollongong Waterfall there you know the National Park, and then people from the Shire don't have to travel too far. You're what it's like from the Shire. They close the gates. But if it's there, we've got the train line there at water.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 3: What do you reckon?
Speaker 5: I like it? Thank you, hello, Brian. I think bridon. Imagine the stadium at broad would.
Speaker 2: Be fair out on the water.
Speaker 4: You sell Belmore too, Yeah, we're selling a lot of landed.
Speaker 5: Developer go on a bell more so that who Eastern side?
Speaker 4: I did the Dogs do play a couple of games?
Speaker 5: Yeah, one the first train out of there, don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they need to have a base to the.
Speaker 5: Neral W and they also have every they pretty much have every grade covered, so they've got a couple of grounds out of the bag. I was out of there the other day actually with the annerl W two they're doing a really good job.
Speaker 4: Well, we would look at it.
Speaker 7: Probably the big problem with the plan is the Dragons fans and the Sharks fans don't don't tend to want to share a stadium.
Speaker 5: The Boss.
Speaker 6: The Boss, I don't get either of Apparently the Roosters and Souse sharing the.
Speaker 5: Stadium for it, So what's to go there? Like, what will happened there anything between the Roosters as.
Speaker 4: In the South's going back to more Park.
Speaker 7: Look, it's a tough one for us because obviously there's a contract in place at Home Bush. But we're talking to all parties and yeah, look, these are difficult things to manage. The good news is everybody's been sort of putting the boot into a call for a long time. Sixty thousand people on Monday, the biggest crowds we've seen in the NRL for suburban week by week games in years, and that wouldn't happen if we didn't have a giant stadium out there. So I think we can get the balance right, But I don't know. We haven't got a solution at the moment.
Speaker 5: But we're both out there. A saw down a couple of boxes all spying on you.
Speaker 2: Actually, he actually took a photo of you and said it to us, these.
Speaker 5: Two it was around you the other day. A roof on a stadium. Well that ever happened in Sydney.
Speaker 4: It could.
Speaker 7: I mean again super expensive. My issue at the moment is we've got to get our finances under control.
Speaker 5: How long does that take? You say, you've got to get your finance under control? So do you hear that across the world at the moment? Yeah, how long does it take to actually turn your finances around?
Speaker 7: We work in four year cycles, so we do the budget for this year and then we effectively do the budget for the next four years as well. So generally speaking, you have in your mind's eye, I hope this problem will be solved over it three or four year cycle, not generally beyond that. But my problem for it is, I can't jack taxes up on anybody anymore. You know, people are paying more than they've ever paid for rent, for mortgages, for going to the supermarkets, and I cannot. I cannot jack up anyone's taxes even a cent, because understandably, when you live in the most expensive city on Earth, there's no room to move.
Speaker 4: Everybody's back pocket is completely bare.
Speaker 3: What about junior sport?
Speaker 6: How to keep more kids playing sports generally around that age of fourteen fifteen, which it sort of drops off. How do we keep more kids in sport, but also on the women's side of things, the women's rugby league has gone through the roof, So how do we keep more kids playing sport but also encourage young girls to continue to play sport.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we've worked with Peter, the NRL, Peter Blandis and the NRL about state government support for the women's for the women's competition, which is just massive and growing every single year. The competition's just so healthy At the moment, I think this is probably the keys. As a parent, I reckon this is the key issue because it's so difficult to get kids.
Speaker 4: Off electronic devices.
Speaker 7: They're designed, they're designed to keep you hooked, and I find it difficult to rip myself away from a mobile phone or an iPad.
Speaker 4: And obviously I'm an adult.
Speaker 7: I don't know why we would expect a kid to have the self control and the discipline to put down an addictive.
Speaker 5: Technology.
Speaker 7: The best thing we did since we got elected was to ban mobile phones in schools in public schools in New South Wales. And if you speak to Principles, they'll say, yeah, look, it's been pretty good in the classroom. A bit more interaction with the teacher. But the big benefit has been a recess on lunchtime. Previously, you look at a schooyard, everyone would be not talking with one another, but almost texting each other, even if they were six feet from each other. And now you've got to talk. They're playing sports. Basketball is huge, football and soccer is picking up, and I reckon it's as a result of that that change. South Australia did it first, We did it second, the private schools followed us, and now every other state's pretty much in the cart for it.
Speaker 2: Would you ever go harder?
Speaker 1: Because I know that, especially with kids, they're always going to try and find a loopholand. You know, kids text each other from watches and everything. Now there's always some new technology. Yeah, from smart watches they can call each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you mean? You can call people from your watch and text people from your watch.
Speaker 3: And so there's nowhere you can hide where that you can hide. You can leave your mobile phone at home.
Speaker 5: With the glasses. Wear the glass have cameras.
Speaker 2: On, yeah, the rayvens.
Speaker 6: Yeah what about origin you're going over to person?
Speaker 3: No, No, not going. How do you think we'll go?
Speaker 4: I mean I think we'll win.
Speaker 7: But you know, the Queenslander seemed to rally off the back of feeling Umbridge a New South Well slides, so I'm a bit worried about that. But they just seem to have him all over the park. And I mean they're in rare form, the New South Wales, so they've got a lot of depth as well.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I really want him to do well.
Speaker 7: I think that they're I think that they could go the whole way and have a sweet But probably more important than that, the team that's going through looks like they could dominate for years, and I guess that's the best thing from New South Wales' perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good Sons to New South Wales.
Speaker 1: And before we let you go, if the Dogs win the Grand Final, how would you celebrate.
Speaker 4: I don't drink. I don't know.
Speaker 7: I mean I probably my middle boy, Nicholas is not for the for the Bulldogs. He absolutely loves them, so yeah, I'll probably celebrate with him.
Speaker 3: If you don't drink in the labor party with Bob Hawks.
Speaker 4: Well he didn't. He gave it up too. He gave it up too.
Speaker 3: I had a few sessions I couldn't keep up with.
Speaker 1: I couldn't keep up with him. Well, thanks so much for joining us here on fred In the Eighth.
Speaker 2: Great to have you on.
Speaker 1: You're probably our most famous and respectable guest we've ever had, so I love hearing that you love Tuney in as well and go the Blues.
Speaker 4: Yeah, love joenning In. Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: All right, Well see ground plenty more coming up here on fredd In the Eighth. Up next, we're going to be talking all things footy across the weekend. It kicks off with an absolute cracker between the Sharks and the Dragons.
Speaker 5: My inspiring teammate moment wouldn't have to be trade fits given here's an amazing athlete fits in such a tough, tough player. It'd be hard to highlight so many different instances in games where he went above and beyond what normal people would do. I do remember one try he scored in a semi final against Newcastle, played back tomorrow. I wor he must have round ninety moons fetch dead running over that way he's running out of I just remember that try for a back rower who just played eighty minutes every week, and he took Matthew Gidley over the trial underscore in the corner sort of. I thought it typified what he was capable of.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: From one great News Wales back rower two another and please to say Angus Christen joins us at Live now from Blues Camp. Good to see you, Angus. How has camp been so far? You've only been in for a few days, still in New South Wales at the moment.
Speaker 3: How are you guys? Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 9: It's nicely back with the boys and a few new faces in here too, so also building on those combinations that we started the Ford to last camp.
Speaker 10: It's been fun.
Speaker 5: Just had a highlight of Craig fitsgiving you you're the Roosters with Fitz would you learn from him?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Actually after one of the Grand Finals I think it was.
Speaker 3: I don't remember.
Speaker 9: I'm not going to try remember what year it was, but I was back at the Leeds club and they wouldn't let me in because I was too young. But I got a Craigfits given autograph from my godfather on a coaster, So that was pretty cool to be able to be coached by him, and obviously being around him in origin camp when you were at Freddie and at the Roosters for a long period of time, too, and it's just the kind of coach that you never want to let down. Like I feel like he just gets disappointed in you if you do something. I think it's just like I've done on an upset fits you.
Speaker 6: It's talked that there could be some complacency in New South Wales. Is there been a difference in feeling from going on to this one?
Speaker 9: If anything, there's less complacency. I feel like there's more of an onus on. We haven't done anything yet, to be honest, Yeah, if we if we don't perform, we nothing pretty much. So yeah, we're going to be work making sure we're working for everything that we're going to get.
Speaker 1: Obviously, the Blues had that change due to Mitch Barnett with Max King then promoted to the starting side. To find out, joking man who coming in on the bench at Queensland. They've made a fair bit of changes. Well what did you make of them dropping Daly Trey Evans their skipper.
Speaker 10: We're freezing on me here, Danny go.
Speaker 9: I'm assuming you asked about Barney, But yeah, Max King's going to do a great job coming in and Steph's been fantastic two he was around all of the last camp and he was ready to go with pain wasn't going to be right.
Speaker 10: So Steph's been around and knows all the plays.
Speaker 9: He's trained alongside our halves and have run in the full pack as well.
Speaker 10: So those guys were really.
Speaker 9: Confident in them coming in to step up and make sure they do a job, which is it's a big hold of Phil. Barney was such a big part of our team and our thoughts are with him and we love him and Missai.
Speaker 5: Danigol Silgan also about the changes that Queensland have made you feel like they're going to be a different proposition. Obviously they're going to have the motivation of losing game one, but what about from a point of view of the footy. Obviously did and it's a really big one. So some changes in the back row as well. What difference do you think they'll be.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's obviously a lot of changes and we knew they're going to be making sure they're going to be up for this game is obviously do or die for them and we're expecting them to come at their full powers and yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 10: I don't know if what they've named that'll be the team that plays.
Speaker 9: But I guess we'll find out on the night who's actually going to be our surprise because I thought Jeremiah was one of their best. So yeah, I guess we'll find out in the night. But to be honest, Fred, we're pretty focused on ourselves. Hey, I think that's the thing about these big games. You've got to make sure that we're the tightest group that we can be. And got so much trust, so much faith in this side that I've been gone putting a really strong performance against whoever's in front of us, doesn't matter who it is.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about ourselves. Paying hass the machine that is paying Hals. When you're out there watching him play, what are you.
Speaker 9: Thinking, Yeah, you just jump on the back of him and go with him. I think he's such a force and he's such a powerful guy. And yeah, obviously in the pack we've got great players all across the board and the team, weve got leaders from one to seventeen. And a guy like Paine, he just says, follow me and come come with me, and yeah, he's a fruit.
Speaker 5: The other one is the bloke that defends next to you, Stephen crot Well, what about him at the moment he must be a joy just to be playing with out there.
Speaker 10: Yeah he's on the other side. I got troubles on.
Speaker 9: The other side, but yeah, he shows how much footy you watch these days from.
Speaker 10: But he's honestly, You're right, he's the best defensive center in the camp. I think just the reassurance that he gives the whole edge.
Speaker 9: I think it's not through the amount of tackles that he does, but it's movements in between. The players just shaws up their edge so hard. I think the biggest one like when we were I think we were down a man and they throw out and Credit picks him up and takes him over the Sideline's such a big play for our team.
Speaker 5: What about Trollie. Has he come into camp?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know the troll made. He's a freak and troll just does what troll does.
Speaker 9: I think similar to pain. You just watch him go and chase him and hope I'll get a little lot of floating across the white stripe. But yeah, I love playing with troll I've obviously been a lot of big games with him.
Speaker 10: One Premiership with him and is back to the.
Speaker 9: Fitters, so I think I've seen him so even origin last year Game two mcg he has come in and so much confidence and just says.
Speaker 2: Follow me, Hey, we're disappointed you're wearing a beanie.
Speaker 1: You've obviously got a barbershop ac flow, but you're not exactly.
Speaker 3: That's all right.
Speaker 10: I don't have the best head of hair myself, so I don't wear a beanie. But I haven't had a haircut for a while because we've been in camps and that. So I'm just still my own home jobs in the mirror at the minute. But I forget a haircut when we're in Perth.
Speaker 6: Obviously obviously cut their head. Do you also do men's Brazilians.
Speaker 2: For a friend?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think we can make an exception for you, Joe, or you need that big QUI second some big watxing.
Speaker 5: Strips for a couple of different combs and it's going to block. Good chance is going to block. Hey, you guys are man.
Speaker 10: I don't know what you guys are geting up to.
Speaker 2: You don't want to know as.
Speaker 3: Ye, Well, there's this timing room to get.
Speaker 5: Keep going. Kick is your roommate? Do you get a roommate or you're on your own?
Speaker 10: We've all got our rooms these days.
Speaker 9: It's it's a bit different from having my my debuty with you from the peach. It was pretty funny room with him.
Speaker 10: But yeah, I think I think it's I think it's a thing of the past now the room is it's I think there's a canterters so long and that they give every on their own room.
Speaker 3: It's defining.
Speaker 1: I think some people do better on their own. All right, Thanks so much, Angus, Well done. We can't wait to see you in action on Wednesday. Enjoy the rest you can too.
Speaker 10: No worries, guys. Thanks having me on.
Speaker 2: So you want to elaborate on any of those stories.
Speaker 3: What time is?
Speaker 2: It has been great, he's recently married to recently married.
Speaker 3: Seems in a good place. It seems really heavy, great fella.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: Another big topic at the moment the Kangaroos and any potential coaches, any newss.
Speaker 6: Well, both our work colleagues would be perfect. It's funny here Freddie, but also Cameron Smith. I'd love to see the dream team come together.
Speaker 2: Do you have some news for us?
Speaker 3: I have been asked to be a selector.
Speaker 6: That was under mail. I don't know how i'd go under the meeting and self and Boyd Cordiner. I think it's lucky in Cameron.
Speaker 3: Just cheat chat.
Speaker 6: You know the team pretty much pieces itself, but toss up some ideas, especially young guys. You want to see blooded take away on tour.
Speaker 1: Does it change the way that when you're commentating now, do you have that now in the back of your mind?
Speaker 3: No, not at all.
Speaker 6: When I'm watching watching the games or watching some of the younger players, how they're.
Speaker 5: Going thinking about the future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you know what on tour for.
Speaker 6: A young player to come into camp, whether it be Origin or Australia, it's incredibly difficult.
Speaker 3: Look for a nineteen twenty year old.
Speaker 6: Because three four, five years ago your heroes and you're playing with them. So to get them in even before they're ready to start, but get them in to get used to you know how it is. And the intensity, the intensity at training in those camps is it's like playing.
Speaker 3: So you get them in early and get them used to it and go from there.
Speaker 5: Pretty good opportunity this year since two thousand and three thousand, any game and the only thing that's different is you're playing Great Britain, so you're playing everyone from up there in England, Ireland, Scotland kangaroo tools. They're a really huge part of rugby league history, going back to all the way in the early hundreds when Australia wasn't the dominant country. But it's an awesome opportunity to get over there. Nigga's done incredible job getting it back on the calendar and whoever whoever does get the job, if it's me or someone else, I think it's there will be incredible experience evidence sold out. Leads are sold out and they reckon seventy eighty thousand and Wembley doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 1: And it's such a it's sort of a bucket list thing as well, to go watch a game of rugby league at Wembley.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally different.
Speaker 6: They appreciate the singing, but they clapped the opposition. You score a good try'll standing clap.
Speaker 1: Go on, lad, I'm going to try and come over. I'm going to try and he'll be over there, you go.
Speaker 5: What are you doing over there? They're taking selectors over there.
Speaker 3: I'll take you to a tour around London.
Speaker 2: Have you got anything planned on the agenda?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Not really taking the family. So no handcuffs this one, No train roads, No train road.
Speaker 5: About that train cabs?
Speaker 2: All right, well okay, well we'll leave it at that one plenty. We're coming your way here on Freddy in the updecks.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be looking at Freddy's Tries of the Week and the f A Metal votes to stick around.
Speaker 5: First Dibsy today.
Speaker 7: I'll come back to that in angec heads away get the Excelivation Summit.
Speaker 5: Dennis was Rudlow. Now it's away swings Sir has Dad.
Speaker 3: Day a black clock, black clock, and then back again up ninety nine.
Speaker 5: Ten taken a funny to something.
Speaker 10: Half dog man. It was exhilarating. It's the Dragons at their best.
Speaker 1: It's right you league, It's thick rugby league at its absolute best since thrilling tries there. Oh it is time for Freddy's tries of the week. Who are you adding to your list of flyers?
Speaker 5: We'll see it's a pretty good list. So just because you get admitted into the trial the week doesn't mean you get on the board. I'd like to say hi to Jamie Aysko too. We grew up in the same area. What a legend he was. KP the match Winter first tried the year doesn't make the board though, sorry mate, but great to see Newcastle get a result though down sixteen l at halftimeture Hunt, the two fletchers, Hunt and sharp.
Speaker 3: They were brilliant, so dirty haircut.
Speaker 2: I actually am a pre game.
Speaker 1: I actually asked KP about the fact that he hadn't scored a try all year, because you've got a little.
Speaker 4: Scro to him.
Speaker 2: At the end of the game. He came straight over and just pointed straight up the next one.
Speaker 5: He's our big man, puppy. What a day, What a day. Have a look at the trial. They're so subtly's movement for a big man getting at the back end of his career, you know, just subtle movements. Have look at this off the left foot, spin, turns his body the other way, forces himself through his three players. Mate, what a player then kicks the goal. The coach is crying on the sideline, that is and you get a start with that one. Pabby Mitch, you're gone, sorry, bro, that was special.
Speaker 2: Seeing the emotion on Rickey's face he was in the.
Speaker 5: Movies was fantastic. Good on your mate, And of course Monday I was out there.
Speaker 3: I watched it.
Speaker 5: Locky Galvin, you've ever seen a player nineteen years old deal with so much and do it so well. Was Locky Galvin? Very hard not to watch everything he was doing as he got on and he's just busy. Just watch him. He wants to be around the ball. And when this happened, the whole crowd just went mad. And I took a fat up with my phone of him and his team in the back and he's face on the screen scoring the try. It was hard not to get involved and be a Dog's fan for that moment right there, Locky Galvin, you don't make.
Speaker 6: The board, but it was awesome out off floats.
Speaker 3: He was fantastic, extravagant running style.
Speaker 5: Montoya is the same wingers.
Speaker 1: Yeah their wingers go had some honorable mentions, but no one really apart from Big Puppy can.
Speaker 2: Crack the top.
Speaker 6: Look his goal kicker was sweet. Someone said he's a scratch he plays off five or real goalf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's one of those.
Speaker 5: You see though he's balance when he look he kicked the goal. But scoring those tries for bloke that big just move his body.
Speaker 1: And what about our round of fourteen Freddy in the eighth votes.
Speaker 6: Katoni he was unbelievable, was wild both of us. It's strange what a player is. Oh surprise, surprise, I've gone with.
Speaker 5: It's still leaving mylone, police knocking on your door.
Speaker 6: It was a ten out of ten the other day, took the line on title control of the game, kicked an amazing forty twenty. They won by fifty six to six. It was on the back of this foot. He's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: You rate him at the moment.
Speaker 5: I don't questions.
Speaker 6: Current for I mean, you scrap everything, pass performances, and I think him and Nathan right at the top. This Blake is and I've been crying him for a last year and especially the start of this year.
Speaker 3: He is as good as it gets.
Speaker 6: He has no weaknesses and when you're watch him, oh yeah, at the moment, the way you play shut up, Freddie, Sorry Cody. You know Cody is my favorite. But Isaiah's getting creeping up there. I just sit and watch him play defensively half back. He hits him, There's no weakness.
Speaker 5: Something get better defenses go on the weekend. He's had a couple of strong hits. Tough tough boy made the Black co chose Jerome Hughes Delian medalists killed it. He was brilliant. Talk about half back. He's got some good half backs at the moment we.
Speaker 1: Go, or let's have a look at where it all stands at the omens and easy it's twelve points or he.
Speaker 3: Was at the top.
Speaker 4: Is he in?
Speaker 3: Nathan?
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe they won't let him on the boat. You know what saw on Monday, stew lording as his head and that crap made his buckle, he made he broke his rib shoulder, something to do with his legs.
Speaker 3: Lucky you landed on his head.
Speaker 1: Well, because he's going to help us put together the end of year competition.
Speaker 5: Lunch, he said, you still come for a cruise? I said, yep.
Speaker 3: So's dream. Who's had dream to take?
Speaker 5: You couldn't take easy, We wouldn't allow it now, can't corrupt him. Nathan's too. We need monster to keep playing on.
Speaker 2: If you're tuning in drink Rudolf the other day, he'd be keen.
Speaker 5: He's on the extended the extended bench of the Sharks.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, he says he's recovering. Well, it's either this week or next week. So yeah, so s gin that QR code as well. And you could be joining us on now. I think we decided it's going to be a boat, didn't It's safer out and see there you go. All right, well yeah, there's plenty to look forward to, all right.
Speaker 2: Now, spots Bett having a crack.
Speaker 1: We also love Aussies who have a crack and get out and play each week. So we're going to be playing tribute to someone who did exactly. That doesn't matter the result, but this one they certainly got the result, that's for sure.
Speaker 6: Watch the timing. He hits this about fifty of his power, which is lucky. The ball will have exploded if you give it everything. Watch the timing and watch the balance. Watch it explode off his bit.
Speaker 3: It was gone fifty.
Speaker 2: Look at Ricky as well.
Speaker 3: That's that was a special That was cool.
Speaker 4: And this one too.
Speaker 2: Sorenson, he's got his Sorenson just.
Speaker 5: During buller every day. Look at him. He's scoring from Freddy. You know what, they're getting them better extraded help.
Speaker 3: That's a special effort you need to win comps. They might look back at that tackle and go that got us in the top eight, got us somewhere.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: We'll speaking of sports, but having a crack. Let's check in with sports. But now it's over to Joe Caine.
Speaker 8: Seven of the last eight Wally Lewis medal winners. That's the player of the series, aged between twenty four and twenty eight. The one outlier, ironically the Queensland coach Billy Slater, who did it a bit older. There he brings in Tom didn at half back. If they win the series, surely he plays a major part.
Speaker 4: Sixty one bucks.
Speaker 3: Imagine what you could be buying instead for free and confidential support called the number on the screen, or visit the website.
Speaker 1: Well how good does that look of just stadium? And that is where we will be coming to you from next week a special Tuesday edition of.
Speaker 2: Freddy in the Eighth. We're going to be taking over a purse for log book. I love Perth too. It's very fun Scarborough.
Speaker 3: No one knows you. That's why it's good.
Speaker 5: Benny Cousins.
Speaker 3: Have lunch for lunch. He's behaving himself.
Speaker 1: Now we might have some special guests on the show next week, so tune in for that one. All right, let's dive into a big preview of the footy coming up on Nine's wide A world of sports this weekend afe cracking matches as well. I'm looking forward to this one Thursday night.
Speaker 2: Sharks and Dragons, the local derby, this one from Shark Park. Who are we backing in this one?
Speaker 5: I think the Sharks for me. Ronaldo's back.
Speaker 3: Tipping rains.
Speaker 5: I just feel like tipping rain tomorrow night, aren't they? I just feel like they haven't been great the last couple of weeks. Eighty six points in two weeks. You hate that. And they've had no origin plays, no origin players, yeah, no one.
Speaker 6: And Sharks coming off a walloping from the Dolphins. I'll go Sharks by about ten, but no real confidence.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: What about Friday night footy Titans and Seagulls, and you can imagine this one's going to be an interesting one. Daily Tree evans he'll he'll certainly have a point to prove.
Speaker 5: Back Jake back and sub manly wing for me. Manly they lose Tino and lose Moe. Sam Beryls' is back for the Toddens, who's a good in but I think they'll be too good.
Speaker 1: Mainly manly all right. And then Sunday afternoon footy at a Core Stadium. These will be a cracking showdown. Bulldogs up against the Bunnies.
Speaker 6: No Latrell no Cody. Cody's heard of growing, which is unfortunate for the bunnies. Joe great back to fall back.
Speaker 3: I think the dogs.
Speaker 2: No burden for the dogs, which is interesting. Eighteenth man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well kurk men was he played that role for Queensland in the first Yeah, I think I think totally.
Speaker 2: Should play club foot.
Speaker 5: So they lose four players, but Jacob Preston's back, so he's been out for five weeks.
Speaker 3: When what do you get suspended for crusher christ carry out?
Speaker 1: Yea, and they fought it, didn't they And so they got an extra So there you go. So bulldogssing Bulldogs. All right, a few great games coming up on nine this weekend.
Speaker 2: Stick around. We're going to wrap things up after this and we might get a good story or two.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned, all right, don't forget as well to send in your best photos. All that's my sery talking to me, sending you best photos of you watching Freddy in the eighth and scan the QR code to enter our competition because we will be taking you and five mates out on a boat.
Speaker 2: It's a full drinks package.
Speaker 6: A bit of food as well, So now he's found his mojost it again.
Speaker 1: Last time we're in Perth, can I tell the viewers? Yeah, we ended up at a what was it like a line dancing bar? Yeah, and we had Andrew John's with some of the older say client tell in perse just taking them all through a bit of a ballroom dancing lesson.
Speaker 3: About what.
Speaker 2: I would say. Close to closing, Ye had to get.
Speaker 3: Up the next day and did it today show. That was interesting.
Speaker 2: That would have been great viewing as well.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for joining us here on Freddy and the Eighth this week. We hope you enjoy the footy and we will tune it will catch you rather from Perth next week ahead of State of Origin.
Speaker 5: By for now, this has been another presentation from nine's wide world of sports