Speaker 1: On two GB, four BC and network stations. This is our strainer overnight with Mike Jeffreys.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Welcome along. Plan is to be here for quite a while. Let me see another five hours and twenty two minutes. So what to talk about? Got any ideas? If you do? Give me a ring one three one eight seven three, or send me a text if you like. That's you know, you just send the text and you don't have to wait around or any of those things. Uh, send me a text zero four six zero eight seven three. That's the number if you want to send me a text, or you could send me an email. To send it to overnights at twogb dot com, although of course this program goes all over the place as well as on twogb dot com. What to talk about? What would you like to talk about the Middle East? I'm looking the front pages of Thin Review. It says world markets on war alert, Middle East conflict overshadows PM Trump's meeting White House threatens Iran oil price rise to fuel inflation. Ah, that's a such a classic, isn't it. You know how long has it been since we first said to the block of this, why is petrol so expensive? And he said, trouble in the Middle East night. When has there not been trouble in the Middle East? But then again, maybe this is more than the usual trouble. Time will tell. I've been talking to people who made an interesting point to me, which is that with what's happening between Israel and Iran, you look at some of the pinpoint strikes that Israel has been able to make. They're suggesting that there are people in Iran who aren't happy with the present regime, not in a position to overthrow themselves, but if the Israelis can do it, then they can give them a little helping hand by way of passing on useful classified information for example about where or key generals might be, or key nuclear scientists. They can just give them a bit of a hand there, because not everybody likes the sort of medieval barbarism that they get from the Ayatolla. Who would have thought, you know, you look at pictures of the women, for example, in Iran in the seventies, and you'd find them, you know, anywhere else, Brisbane, Sydney, California, name your place. But in the last few years there've been examples of young women, for example, not wearing the clothing that is dictated and I do mean dictated by the government, by the Ayatollah and his lot, and then going to jail and then dying in mysterious circumstances. You know, the government said, oh, she had a heart attack, but then other people said no, actually she was beaten to death. So not everybody's happy with that situation in Iran. So maybe they're giving the Israelis with the hand. What do you think and where's it going to end up? Well? Who knows. But in the meantime, the suggestion is we will get higher petrol prices, as we seem to do. Also, talking about the finn Review, there's a bit there. We're doing our bit. The Prime Minister tells Trump, how do you think that's going to go? You know, he'll get a bit of time supposedly with the Donald at the G seven. But Albo keeps talking, and I do mean keeps talking. You probably notice this yourself. He keeps saying, how we're you know, that is Australia great friends with the US? Will that carry the day with Trump? For example, when it comes to defense expenditure, I'm not so sure saying we're friends, particularly when you consider the position that this government has taken with well a couple of right wing politicians in Israel. The US aren't supporting that position, and I see pieces from commentators who say Albow might go down as the great appeaser, the Neville Chamberlain of his time, you know, appeasing China and all that. But anyway, as far as we are great friends, will Trump find that sufficient? I suspect not. I think he really will insist that Australia pay more by way of the amount of the GDP that actually goes to defense. Anyway, I'll put that to a G. Gankarski later this morning, but in the meantime, you may have a view. You're welcome to put it. I'm going to talk to Nick Hayes. He's from an organization called Media Stable. I'm going to talk to him later this morning about the death of the Political Panels show. Will You Miss It? Q and A is gone? The drum went before that. The project's just gone. I think they're dull, if only because they're more about pushing a particular barrow than producing any kind of decent, lively discussion by featuring people with different points of view. Maybe they're just out of date. I mean, why watch a panel of people agreeing with each other when you can get all the agreement you want from some social media silo. And speaking of groupthink, has anyone watched the ABC Media Watch lately? Now? I've only ever paid occasional attention to it. It's been a long time since I've worrited any attention from it. But wasn't it supposed to be a critique of how different media outlets covered the news? And you know, I would expect them to come up with things like, well, this mob run this story pretending it was news, but really it was just a pr release from somebody wanting to push a product, or a cause, or their business. Whatever it was. Anyway, group think. Yeah, Like I say, I haven't really made it my life's work to watch media Watch, but it has changed over the years. And now I have somebody named Linton Bess, who I'm told was a very successful print journal but maybe print is his thing. I've watched Linton squirming away in front of the camera offering his slanted summation of the events of the week. It's more like the week as seen by Linton. The kind of critique that it used to be. It's not criticism how the news has been covered by the other media, well occasionally, and I think it's a safety valve. Media Watch has been known to have a go at the ABC, but generally, speaking from what little I've watched it over the years, it's really there to confirm to the viewer that they've made the best of all possible choices by watching the ABC. But anyway, Linton's there and it's really like the week as Linton sees it. It doesn't seem to be what it was what it was originally it was known as this Is when the BBC had it, and the BBC really used to play up Media Watch. The guy that hosted it, for example, would go to somebody's office in the BBC responsible for particular program, take his camera crew, sit on the desk and say why are you doing this? People don't like it? But I've never actually seen that from the ABC. But it was referred to as disgusted of Tunbridge Wells, which was kind of a generic British term for a conservative viewer who was always unhappy with what he was seeing on his screen. Yeah, troubled in the Middle East, Well, yes, petrol will be more expensive according to the film review, we can hear that again speaking of women and the Middle East and contrasting opinions. I thought it was typical of those of her ilk that Greta Thunberg refused to watch the video of her mass attacking the young people at the music festival, because people like Greta, they just dismiss facts that might contradict their feelings. I remember years ago watching something on Fox. Whoopee Goldberg was talking to the then successful host below, and O'Reilly said to Whoopee, but Whoopy, that's not true. And Whoopy leaned over and put a hand on Bill's knee and said, but Bill, it's what I feel. Hm. Anyway, so great, it's not going to let anything interfere with her feelings. Closer to home, let me ask you, how are you treating your companion animals? Now? I asked this because I was driving by the seaside yesterday and you know, just looking at the beach and thinking about the world, and I saw a man on a skateboard with two large dogs. There were boxes, I think anyway, So there's the man with these two big dogs. One was trotting along beside the skateboard, but the other was riding on the skateboard with the man. Now, I would like to think that he alternates the dogs because it would only be fair. The same dog didn't always get to ride while the other one had to run. Don't you think TV panel shows facing extinction? To comment further on this, media commentator Managing Director of Media Stable, Nick Hays, Morning Neck, thanks for doing this.
Speaker 3: Good morning Mike.
Speaker 4: Good to be with you.
Speaker 2: Now. Q and A got asked although this is very ABC, it was actually picking up in the numbers, I believe, but got asked anyway, And Ten's decided to end the project and people have been predicting the end of ten for a very long time. The drum was given the chop. So the sports panel shows they're going great, but political discussion panel shows not so much. Why do you think are they too dull? What is it?
Speaker 3: I don't think necessarily it's dull. I think it's mainly come down to cost cost of putting programs together. Let's have a quick look at the project. There's a lot of paychecks that have to sit on that panel. You know, anything between four and sometimes five panel members on the project, and it's not cheap TV to do. When the project first kicked off, it was almost a spin off off the Panel Do you remember the Panel Market?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that was a ripper of a show that was a once a week show and it was a very sort of comedy, different look at news and a little bit of fun. A lot of show business around it as well. But when the project kicked off, it was a Monday to Friday then went on to Sunday. It was originally only used and filmed out of Melbourne now Melbourne and Sydney, and it just became a very costly program to put together. There's up to one hundred staff members that were involved in the project week by week, and fifty of them, as we know now, are going to lose their jobs and fifty of them will be moved around. It is just a costly program to put together.
Speaker 2: I tell you what I don't mind. I do seek it out on Channel ten and that's that show, The Cheap Seats. Have you seen that? I guess you have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have. I'm looking forward to hearing or seeing myself on there one day. No, it's a little bit of fun, it's a bit's comedy again, but I think sometimes it might be interesting to you from your listeners. I think that I've spoken to many people around the country around the sort of the fall of the panel shows is that they saw the projectors being in verta commerce two woke. A lot of them didn't like Wali Dali. They liked the sort of the former presenters that were there, the Charlie Pickerings that carried Big Moore's, the Dave Hughes's, the original format, but they tended to look at the show as being a little bit dealing with issues that were probably more firsts. They were probably to do with the environment. They felt like they were being talked down to, and that was one of the problems. I suppose that a lot of viewers were turning off and the numbers were certainly dwindling. In the heyday of the project, it was hitting one point one one point two million people, but it was well below that.
Speaker 2: Talking about what you get and the wokeness, you would be aware of the fact that Greg Guttfeld, with his show on Fox in the US, is out rating the other high profile late night talk shows. He's got more viewers than them put together as far as I know, but he's certainly outrating them all, but they're all pretty woke. They're the old style American format, which I'm not saying is a bad thing, but the stuff that Gutfeld puts to air, I couldn't see executives here allowing that, could you.
Speaker 6: No, definitely not.
Speaker 3: I think, look, there is a term. I know. We use woke a little bit, we use right wing, we use conservative media quite a lot. I think the Australian media can't really handle that kind of thing. If it's doing very well, it's because it's appealing to a particular audience, an audience that either feels it hasn't been heard before, or is looking for an audience that he wants to know almost you know, that rubber necking. When they see an accident, they just can't take their eyes off it. It's that kind of attraction that they just want to go, what are they going to say next? Yes, shock jock, you know. So the depth of the shock jock in radio happens, and I think that Australian media doesn't really cope well with too much shock. There's not a lot of substance there and at the end of the day, we just want to be educated, informed, or at least given some views to help us form our own opinions. And that's the beauty I think of Australian media is that we do provide a lot of that. People have got choice as where to go. In America it's a complete different game, and particularly with the press that's sitting over there and encouraging a different format. He's encouraging different views.
Speaker 2: Yes, mind you, it does depend a lot on the host. I think I remember going to see Johnny Carson live way back, and he just understood the medium so well. In fact, the night I went to see him live, I thought I've come on a quiet night. But when I went back to the motel, because you know, it was recorded for live, as they say in America, But when I went back to the motel, it was exactly right. Although Johnny got very cross with a guest. A guest was pushing something political Johnny didn't want to know about, and you could see was getting cross And so after the show had finished ed, McMahon came out and said, oh, can we we ask you to pretend that the show's starting again. So they started again, and when the show finally went to it did not include the guest that was doing what Johnny thought was inappropriate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look, you know we've got We've got a very broad range of media here in Australia, and I think a lot of the criticism, particularly around ABC Q and A, was coming from Sky News or coming from Sky as we refer to it after Dark, a very conservative approach to media. They would have a crack and the ABC's Media Watch would very much be looking at what's going on at the Sky News, having little DIBs at each other and questioning their values. I suppose their bias if you like. We have that. We have that in Australia and the beauty of it I love about it is the fact that we can make decisions and choices as to who we consume. I get worried, Mike when I hear just someone just listening to one form of media or or not really taking in all that is around. It just helps them shape fame and their opinion and position a little bit better. And that's the scary thing with social media, Mike, is the fact that a lot of people get into their silos and just think and hear and think that this is the one and only true message when there's just so much out there well.
Speaker 2: Over the years, I have advised my listeners to get their information from a variety of sources. I don't know whether my employers have appreciated me doing or not well.
Speaker 3: No, you just think with Mike Jeffreys, everyone, you're doing well listening to mine, but you know in the morning they'll be listening across the other two GB programs and across the other spectrums of media that are out there and just getting good sound information to be able to make your own choice and decision, because that's what we want. We don't want to be dictated to or told how to think or what to do. We just want enough information to be able to make our own decisions.
Speaker 2: Yes, I actually wrote that as a positioning statement for a radio station when I was the PD. I said, we tell you what's going on, not what to think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that. I used to work for a media monitoring company and we used to give you news you need, not necessarily news you want. And I think too much of us at the moment are just seeking out, particularly on social media, and the younger folk that are running around, they're just getting the news they want and not necessarily the news they need.
Speaker 2: What's reaffirming their views. By the way, here's a question without notice for you. But you took us down that path. You're on a media watch. I don't normally watch media Watch, but I've watched it the last two or three weeks and it doesn't look like media Watch to me. It looks like Linton Besser is giving you a digest of what he thought was the news during the week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Linton, since taking over watch it religiously make It's part of what I do. But it has taken on and it's almost getting a little bit too even the bias level. I suppose that he focuses on the commercial networks. He's really going hammer and tongue on that. I've got to say, Linton, I know he'll be listening because they listen to everything. Yeah, I'm not a fan of the show at the moment, but I think he's also just trying to find his feet. There's a long track record of media Watch that's been on and I think the program itself does hold a lot of media to account. In fact, many in the media will say you've never been in the media unless you've been on Media Watch or been questioned. But look, I think they do a good job. Just a lot of media sometimes don't want to be how to account, and I think we've got to hold everyone to account. And that's the beauty of media that we are regulated, we are looked at and look, that's why I'll always get my news from mainstream media as opposed to social media, because I know what I'm getting. I don't know what I'm getting on the social media site.
Speaker 2: You're right about Media Watch. It's changed a lot over the years, and may I say it's come a long way from Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells that was its original BBC name. Did you know that?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: I did not, And I look at you know, I always laugh at the people that sort of well, I don't always laugh, but I sometimes question why people are so upset when they see themselves on there, and how they react and respond to it. I mean even I've had a text message from Linton regarding a particular segment that was on. You know, you deal and you work with it, But I also say, if we're not rocking the boat, if we're not rattling the trees a little bit, are we really doing our jobs anyway?
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm with you on that, Yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think it's sometimes it's a little bit of a badge of honor being appearing on Media Watch. It's how you work and deal with them and how you respond to it is a real reflection of the brand.
Speaker 2: Nick, appreciate your time and comments. Thank you for coming on the program. Thanks Mine, Nick Hay's media commentator, managing director of Media Stable. Good morning, welcome along if you just joined us. A couple of comments about Greta here. Brad from Lynnfield says, Mike, I have very simple and I suspect rhetorical question about the infamous Greta Thunberg. Has she ever had a job? Perhaps it's time to seek one? Is that like in the TV commercial? Seek just to thought to the dell Ternes. Did they have a song, get a job and get a job? We get it. I think they did. I guess that's what you're referring to. Brad. Look, as far as I know, the ladies never had a job in the sense that we understand one. She's got an honorary degree for her work about climate change and you know activism. She gets paid to turn up and give talks. I suspect not as much lately as maybe once and that's about it for Greta is coming from Jackie, who says, good morning Mike. It's my opinion that even if that terrible ignorant girl we're talking about, Greta refused to watch the video, they should have secured the door and turned it on. Yes, they could. They could have done it like in that movie what's the movie where Alex and his drewgies? Where's that movie? Dale? You know, Alex and the drugiz and all that clockwork orange. That's right, And remember they pinned his eyelids open and made him watch something. They should have done that. But to go back to Jackie said, I did say the terrible screams and the obvious sounds of glee from the perpetrators would have been dreadful to have heard. Fond regards Jackie. But you know, like I say, Greta wouldn't watch, doesn't want anything that interferes with her feelings. Let me go to Helen from Kabulcher. Good morning, Helen, Hi, how are you going? Oh? Well, thank you? I saw you sent me a long email. Thank you for that.
Speaker 7: And you know it's funny talking about Duckfield. I don't really watch it all that much. But sometimes I go from Jesse Walters to that. And the other night when they were talking about Greta, it was hilarious. They were all very quick witted and I didn't.
Speaker 2: See that one. It'll still be there somewhere. I must have a look.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was funny.
Speaker 7: But a lot of the time the Americans have a different sense of humor to what we do.
Speaker 9: They do and it's.
Speaker 7: And I can sit there and everybody's laughing, and I'm just think, what are you laughing at? But I like the English comedies better.
Speaker 2: Yes, they have a different approach, don't they. You know, I think about it. I wanted to do something on humor, but at this stage I haven't got a volunteer comedian to discuss it with me. But I must have another go at that. But it seems to me my summation of the difference is that the Yank humor is always about is all about awkward, creating an awkward situation. You watch Seinfeld, you watch Phrasier, even some of the more recent ones. It's about creating putting somebody in an awkward situation, Whereas the British have a different approach. Exactly how you summoned up on a word. I'm looking for one at the moment, but anyway, they're different.
Speaker 3: You're right, that's Rod.
Speaker 7: And do you remember going I'm going back, but I'm sure you remember in the early Love with TV they had that show Love Thy Neighbor, Yes, and things like that. Yeah, he'd say Blackie's next door, and then the black fellow would go into his wife and say, I've just spoken to Whitey. Yes, you know, but no one was offended.
Speaker 2: Well, no, we had much broader interpretations of what was allowed as humor, and I think that particularly came from the British. I've always thought Australia produces really good cartoonists and my theory on that, and I do have a theory on everything in the known world, of course, but my theory on why we produce such good cartoonists. We don't have the absolute freedom of speech guaranteed the way the Americans do, so when we want to make a point, we make it a bit sideway. It's a bit oblique. And the cartoonists here I think are very good at that and better for it.
Speaker 10: Yes, yes they are.
Speaker 7: But I just think it's a shame even that one with are you being served? And he'd say, are you being served? And you know, so just little things like the commentary in it and things like that and having a sling off at everybody. Yes, you know, we just don't seem to be able to create that anymore, or we're not allowed to do it anymore.
Speaker 2: Well supposedly because somebody somewhere might be offended, but my feeling is if they're going to be offended, don't watch.
Speaker 7: Well, that's right, And I think honestly everybody remembers forty Towers, Yes, with the gym, don't mention the war. Yes, I mean that was hilarious. I mean it was always it was just such a fantastic show and it doesn't know how many times to see it. It's funny.
Speaker 2: I was watching some episodes of Dad's Army and they were making jokes, you know, the English were making jokes about the Germans, and the Germans were making jokes about the English.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yes, that's right, and nobody's offended, and it's and it is just funny, you know, And.
Speaker 11: Anyway, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 7: You could go on forever. But it's just a shame. And I think when you were talking to Nick about the panels and about politics. It is all rather boring because they're all woke and they don't want to have a debate.
Speaker 2: That's right. I think that's what a lot of people think.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, all right, thank you.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Bye bye.
Speaker 2: Jack has called in from Campbelltown. Good morning Jack, Yah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, good morning, good morning. Make you're talking about the comedy things. Remember they used to have these comedy shows where where the where the audience was laughing or as of course, you know that the people who were listening to the shoulder and you went for laugh Do you remember that?
Speaker 2: Well in a way, But since you mentioned that, do you ever watch that show on the ABC? Would I lie to you?
Speaker 9: No, I don't want to know.
Speaker 2: And there's another one called Q and I and I quite enjoy them, but the canned laughter is so loud it's annoying. Seriously, they're totally about you and I look.
Speaker 9: I mean the ABC is the ABC is paid by the government and therefore, you know, whatever they bring, you know, it has to be sort of whatever government is in power either has to stick the line. Okay. Now, you station is a commercial station, so you also have to observe, you know, what your bosses want you to talk about, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, I've I got to say for management here, they have never told me what to say. I actually uh went to uh must have been a provost meeting some months ago. People they're saying, oh, yes, and they tell you what to say. Well, no, they don't. Maybe the fact that they know that might be a waste of time. I don't know. I don't don't want to be, you know, two at the provocative unnecessarily. But the fact of the matter is management here have never told me what to say. And I don't recall management telling me what to say. But I have had some management over the years who were very unhappy with things that I have said.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, well you're pretty okay, Mike. You are right now talking about that Greta girl. You know, if she doesn't, as you said before, you know, if she doesn't want to watch it, you know, don't watch it. I mean, how dare you say it is one of fostic people to watch some stuff, you know, and before they release them. But I want to say about the I Alis, really they can't hide behind the Holocaust much anymore the way that I carry on.
Speaker 2: They hide behind what cars? What cars?
Speaker 9: The holocausts? They cannot really hide behind what happened to them is either way they carry on.
Speaker 2: Now how the Holocaust? All right?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, yes, I can't use that no more much.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't think.
Speaker 9: The way the carry on mite. Ye have to pay for all that. We gotta pay more, petroal, We gotta pay this, We gotta pay that. We are always the losers. The consumer are the losers. While he's blood Jess who run the countries. I travel around and visit, visiting each other and having fun.
Speaker 2: They're special, They're special people.
Speaker 9: Okay, you take care, Okay.
Speaker 2: See Jack. Bye. Mick from Winston Hills says, good morning, Assassin. Gutfield on Fox News is my favorite show. Really pokes fun at the left mercilessly. Also, yeah, I'm watch it in batches every now and again, And I don't watch any of the other late night talk shows. Are used to watch what his name not a little more anyway, you know what I mean? And who else? Way back in the day, I used to watch Carson. But yes, it'll come to me on the way home in the car. Anyway, back to what mix, says Gutfeld on Fox News. My favorite show really pokes fun at the left mercilessly. I saw last week an album was released by an artist. The album is called half Man, Half Biscuit. This is surely, says Mick, a pseudonym of young Dale Sindon. When he eats a packet of orange creams, he becomes half man, half biscuit. Well, I'll put it to him later. Make you might be onto something. Albert's called in from Hurstville.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Albert, Hi, Mike, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm well, thank you.
Speaker 6: That's good to hear. The gunman that dressed up as a police officer that shot the Democrat senators, the media was very quick to point out that that government was a voted Republican. But what I find very strange about the whole thing was that that government had shot a Democrat senator who sided with the Trump administration in not giving the illegals medicaid, which is like our version of medicare. So but given that fact, then you would one would conclude that that government was a Democrat. Now they also said that. The media also said the same thing about the young young person who attempted to assassinate Trump when he was on the roof. They said that he was a Republican voter, yet his parents were staunch Democrats, and there's also some they're also linking him with black Rock, et cetera. Well, anyway, so what I'm saying is the media are quick to classify these nut jobs as Republican when in fact they are Democrat activists or obviously something wrong with them.
Speaker 2: That murdering you're talking about. Didn't he get a job from one of the Democrats.
Speaker 6: I believe it was Tim Walls. He was, He had his contract. I heard from a Los Angeles radio that his contract was renewed. I don't know in what capacity, but he was also closely Tim Waltz knew him and as we all know, or some of us might know in Australia that Tim Walls was the running mate for Kamala Harris in the last American presidential election.
Speaker 2: Didn't they call him a tampon tin.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's right, tampon.
Speaker 2: Tin because he insisted on having tampons in the boys toilet. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, he's the alpha male of the Democrats in a you know what I mean, in a nigga in an opposite way. But you know what's happening happening in America is it sounds like it sounds like what Antifa and BLM did during the first presidential term.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is. You're right, that's that's what it is. And you've only got to look at I notice Murrow here pointed out the distribution of the helmets and face masks to the rioters, and Dale was telling me, you read about somebody who's offered one hundred and fifty bucks a day to join in the riots. But I could top that because somebody on x said he was offered two hundred dollars a day to join in the riots. So it seems like it's funded and organized.
Speaker 6: Yes, well, well, what's interesting is independent news sources are saying that the riots in not talking. I don't know about other states of America. Obviously there's one going in Chicago, when maybe a few other cities, but the one in Los Angeles that's been funded by the public, the general public via the Democrats. So the Democrats themselves are funding the protests in Los Angeles. And that's another thing. One of the talk back announcers on Los Angeles radio said, well, it's from the station being KFI six point forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 12: OK.
Speaker 6: And the guy who does the afternoon shift is the son of Tim Conway Junior.
Speaker 2: But you know, I was reading The Hill. I don't know if you read that. It's a Washington publication. It's a little bit left leaning, but it's more sane than most. And they have made the point, as have others. The Democrats have to be very careful about supporting the riots because and other people have made this observation. But I mentioned The Hill in particular because I think they're fairly well, almost down the middle of the road. But this could all work out very well for Trump because the easy call to make is, well, look at California. What a mess. That's what you get with the Democrat run state. And even Democrats are uneasy about this writing in the street. They don't necessarily want to see that, and they don't want to be seen necessarily to be supporting it. So people in public positions representing the Democratic Party have got a walk a fairly narrow path. Really well.
Speaker 6: I think that's correct, and I think it won't be too much longer before the Democrats are implicated directly. In fact, I've heard quite a few smart people who should know better that they're saying that all these protests have got nothing to do with what you think it's got to do with, which is they protesting against the eviction of the illegals who are committing crimes in America. They're saying that that's got nothing to do with that. It's what it's God is to do. Is that the outreach or the reaching of the federal government by implementing the army, allowing them for the public to get used to, and providing an excuse to the federal government to introduce the army into the state. And I thought to myself, wait a minute, the answer is there right in front of you. And yet you're overthinking the situation and concluding these are smart people. Well obviously not. But they're saying, no, it's not that. It's the opposite, that it's the government prepping the people to allow them to get used to, or using an excuse to introduce the military.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, this is the this is the no Kings thing, this is the dictator idea. Yes, interesting, Albert got to go, but thank you for calling. Thank you, Mike, Okay, we will have the news for you shortly. And Philip, thank you. Yes, that's who I was trying to think of. Letterman. Letterman was as somebody said to me once you got to watch Letterman in case it's a really good night. Some nights he was better than others, but he he did have a quality about his programs. Wayne from Fairfield says high Mike and anagram for Greta Thunberg is green brat thug, says Wayne. I suppose, I don't know. She had her moment in the spotlight and tried to recapture it with the this sailing boat going to the Middle East. But as somebody said, worst to kidnap ever, she had the pre recorded thing. I've been kidnapped. It really was a selfie boat. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now onto GB for BC and network stations.
Speaker 2: Back to our straight you're overnight, We find Jeffries, good morning. I'll go back to the phones in a moment. But look, here's the headline from the Canberra Times. Don't get taken for a ride by cowboys. And this has to do with the solar business. Don't get taken for a ride by cowboys. Are they talking about rent seeking billionaires who claim, for example, that they can make green hydrogen into a commercial proposition. No, no, not so much. Now they're actually talking about people who sell batteries, businesses, booming for solar companies thanks to the federal government's rebate on the cost of installing battery systems, but some established firms have warned consumers to be wary of cowboys who are out for a quick buck. No, Lee, is that happening, by the way, that's uh, that's very Labor Party. Stick with the big guys. That's the way they've pushed that as long as I can remember, and I remember to way back when they the Labor Party, would run ads saying don't deal with the backyarders, deal with the big firms, the ones you can trust, not huge fans of small business, the Labor Party. Chris has called in from Leila and Victoria. Good morning, Chris, how are you hi.
Speaker 10: I'm all right, thinks Can I slip one in?
Speaker 2: Well, you usually do, Chris, We're used to it now.
Speaker 10: No. I go through the topics and usually I have my main one that I want at the end. But look, I'll slip this one and if I can, if I take that as a guest, you will talk to your guests before and already in regard to the media, I mean, where are the critics from the media. There are very few. Are you to what the ABC. I was a child the ABC News. Now I don't. They've lost me and there's there's something wrong with the ABC needs to be addressed and it's not being addressed. I don't think anyone's game enough to get in and do what needs to be done.
Speaker 2: And you're not being very specific there, Chris, what's your equivalent with the ABC?
Speaker 10: It's biased. I think that the ABC and the Labor government are a perfect.
Speaker 2: Match there and they aren't as old Jared Henderson says in The Australian. If they attack the government is from a leftish point of view. It always comes Their attack always comes from a leftish point of view. That's the way he sees it, and a lot of people do see them as being very biased. I was watching the other day. First of all, we had Matt Canavan being interviewed and then Nick McKim. Suffice to say Canavan got more interruptions than Nick McKim, and McKim is so far out there on the left. Although it's worth noting that McKim dodged around the question of whether or not the Greens would support making unrealized profits taxable. He was wary of that one, which I thought was interesting. But anyway, apart from that, it was pure lefty unicorns and rainbows.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it sounds like you and I and I wouldn't have any time at all over that. But look what I wanted to talk about was Albowy comments about good friends with the US. Oh yeah, well I think he's a great friend with China. The other one is our premier down here, Jacinta Allen. She went from a shelf stacker a short time there with Carl's don't worked for a politician, got it elected and then becoming a premier. She's got no real work or maybe life experience.
Speaker 2: Well, you said she was a shelf stacker, so she didn't go straight from high school to UNI and interning in a politician's office and then straight into the politician's office. At least she, you say, did have a job she stacking.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was part time. Elbow had had a couple of years at the common well bankers that tellers, so you know, there's a bit a bit.
Speaker 2: So they have had real work, dealing with real people and real jobs at the grassroots. Yeah, but not much of it, you.
Speaker 10: Say, no, exactly, not enough of it actually, But look to me, they can't now make decisions, and I think that's probably why Victoria's spent nearly a billion dollars. The same can be said of Daniel and And who's on advice and consultancy. It's a ridiculous amount of money. I mean, can they do anything.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 10: Look, the other thing that I wanted to talk about is Daniel. He has been retired, He's been shown from a golf course several and one wont blame them for doing that. Let's payback for the COVID. But he's almost on as much as he was getting before when he was working. Plus the advantagure is now that he's got his own consultancy businesses, he can do what a pension I can't. He can go earn as much money as he likes outside of politics, and he won't lose any of his entirement. So why are we so tough on retirees? You want to go back and earn a bit more money for whatever reason, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I think that's a good point, by the way, Chris, I don't know if you recall, I did have somebody on the program a while back making a good case for why retirees should get the pension but be allowed to work. A lot of people don't agree with it, but the main trust of his argument, as I recall, is that we're wasting a lot of experience. They're experienced people who could be working. I think in New Zealand it might have been the same conversation. It was said that in New Zealand you automatically get a pension when you retire, and then nobody cares whether you do some work or not. You're just entitled to it for what the you know, you've paid in taxes over the years. That's the thing. I think some of the European countries do the same thing. So that's an interesting point. I think it's worth one worth discussing.
Speaker 10: Michael wait I weigh that you could people Actually, they'll stay out of the hospital, they'll be healthy. The longer I used to get a delivery from a guy and he would come up to the door. I mean, these are the sort of jobs that retirees can do and can fit. So, you know, look at the health benefits they're going to save on medical, medical care and medical expenses. So at the end of the day, balanced out about against the tax that they would be paying. And there are benefits if you go that way. So maybe guess let people work after retirement age. They've worked, they've paid their taxes, so why are they discriminated politicians.
Speaker 2: Are Look, I think it's a discussion worth having. You're never going to get it from this government. This government, their philosophy is they want everybody dependent on them so that they just get continually re elected. That's how they think. I can't see them ever supporting what you're saying, but I do think it's something worth discussing anyway, Chris, thank you for calling.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Keith from Ballarat has called in. Greg Keith, good morning, good morning, A quick one.
Speaker 5: Belgium is an ideal place for a retired people working, especially in the tourist industry and that type of thing. They're allowed to work. It doesn't matter what they've done in their lives, accountants or anything. But once they retire they can work in like the tourist industry, making beds, doing gardens and all that kind of thing and still.
Speaker 2: Get whatever retirement benefits from the government.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, and they own an extra that's an extra because jobs that people don't want to do. So example, But I want to talk about the problem in America a lot like these problems don't just start yesterday. Like America was built on slavery, like slaves for four hundred years, and if you were well looked at it over the years, and the kidnapping of the slaves, the way they were transported in the ships, packed in like sardines, the way they were thrown overboard, if there was any danger of anyone catching them. They're doing your legal business. And that's the shocking thing to see. But when they'd finished with similar, they just cut them loose. They said, oh, well you're free now. There was no assimilation or no anything. Now they've multiplied and multiplied. Now there's a huge problem. What does America do with the black problem they've made for themselves?
Speaker 2: Well, are you asking me or are you being rhetorical?
Speaker 5: Well, i'm you know, they're never allowed to assimilate. And then from adeen.
Speaker 2: Sixty you still have you still think that the positions therein now they've never successfully assimilated into the society. Do you see them still being discriminated against?
Speaker 5: Well, from nteen sixty five to nineteen sixty five they had the Jim Crow Laws, which you know was parth height of the worst coin.
Speaker 2: And I was talking about this at dinner a while ago, and there's guy there at the table who was very surprised that the Klan was supported by the Democrats because it was the Southern Democrats and all of that. But anyway, the Democrats have changed the tune as we know. But as far as the situation with the what do we say now African Americans, even though they're not born in Africa. You know, it used to be mandatory to say blacks at one stage, but I think we've got out of that era. But anyway, colors, you can't say colors anymore. So the people of African American descent, a lot of them have done pretty.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe a lot of them, but that lot would be a small percentage because when you consider there was probably five and four or five million maybe more slaves brought in and they've multiplied over the naturally they're multiplied to bad families. They've survived, they lived well. Then they show people that have done well, of course, which would do well, but a lot of them have still trated badly. But then I want to speak also about mister Trump and the problem down on the border with the Mexicans or the illegal laborers. Yeah, in nineteen forty five, after the war, they encourage them to come in and do the work on the farms and all that type of thing, and in the hotels no one else would do because the juries were all going to universities and technical schools and upgrading their skills. And now they're stuck. And a lot of those people like they've been doing it for eighty years. A lot of them are second and third generation, and they just can't say, well, we don't want you anymore. Go back.
Speaker 2: But if you're not legal, if you're not legal, you know, you say they've been there for several generations. Well, we presume their citizens, then, don't we.
Speaker 5: No, Well, if their children are born there and their grandchildren are.
Speaker 2: Born there, Yeah, well I'm saying their citizens, aren't they.
Speaker 5: Where do we stand.
Speaker 2: Back, Well, they're sending the ones they're sending. All the argument is they're sending the people back who came in without getting proper accreditation. But to go to your argument, it was said years ago that the American housewife wouldn't buy orange juice if it weren't for the illegals working for slave wages.
Speaker 5: That's right. Now someone has told mister Trump's the president's coat and said, excuse me, Like, we've got a lot of hotels and that they maintained in America, and we need these workers, well, the workers that make the beds and work in the kitchens and do the gardens and that kind of thing. And the farmers have said, well, we need them to work in the vineyards and the orchards and the market gardens. So what do you do to us. You're ruining our economy.
Speaker 2: I was actually discussing this with a G. Gankowski who comes on the program fairly regularly. As it turns out, he's an American journalist and commentator over there, and making the point that the people who benefit, as you point out here, are they not the ones that are in the spotlight, you know, the people who do benefit from paying the very low wages. So there's no doubt that that is an issue. But I don't know if it's going to stop Trump, do you think so?
Speaker 5: No, he's quite erratic, and like he'll think of an idea and do it and then someone the people that's affecting close to him and give his coat a little token say, you know, they have a bit of a rethink here mate. But then before we finish up, well, Australia was founded on that there was to be no black slaves in Australia. That's why they transported, well my early ancestors out as convicts and they transport them the same way is that the black slaves were transported in America.
Speaker 2: Where were you transported from or your foe bears.
Speaker 5: Britain and Ireland one hundred and two. They came out eighteen one hundred and four. They were a conviction. They were seated badly on hulks.
Speaker 13: And by the way, what.
Speaker 2: Did they do to be convicted in the first place?
Speaker 5: Well, you could have stolen a handkerchief.
Speaker 2: No, no, I'm asking what what did your forbears do?
Speaker 5: H one of them stole some clothes, that was the female stole some clothes. Another one on that he well documented what he did. I think they stole from a well to do family and they were put on the hulk in a prison hull for two years before they were transported to Australia on the Coramandel, the ship to Coromandel.
Speaker 2: That was I'm just curious because I think this, you know, stole a handkerchief and got sent out here is a bit of a myth. I used to go out with a girl who whose four bears came out as convicts, and the legend in their family was that they stole some clothes. But then it turned out that they were stealing clothes by the what sort of transport would they be using, you know, to transit draze or whatever they used the ant they were stealing them by the truckload.
Speaker 5: Basically, oh that's possible. That that was as possible most of them when you think of the times Adien Andrews, most of the people were starving, especially the Irish people were treated.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, no question, I'm not arguing about that. In fact, one half of my lot came from Wexford. But they did come out as free settlers, but that was in the eighteen forty eighteen forty. One brother stayed here and one brother went to America.
Speaker 5: But quite often when they came out as pretty settlers, the land owner would pay their fare to America or Australia, you know, to not to solve the problem, but to send them for a better life.
Speaker 2: Oh well, old man Witty did pretty well. He did have arguments with Nate Kelly, but Apart from that, he did pretty well well.
Speaker 5: One of the Irish forbears, he had nine thousand acres like and that he was a part of the land clearance and he managed to buy nine thousand acres in southern Ireland. Will my grandmother's mother came out when she was fourteen, in probably eighteen sixty and get out of the way because if she had to stay there, they would have she would have been killed. So she came out to Australia as a fourteen year old and she was married as soon as she landed. It was arranged marriage. So interesting things happened. But this or that's going on now, Like that's terrible the way we are now, like and especially like.
Speaker 2: Do you mean in this country or are you talking about America?
Speaker 5: In America? But in this country. I find it impossible to watch sky. I watched Paul Kelly interview the other night by Sharry Marx, and then that cut short because Paul was critical of mister Netanier, who and a couple of other extreme right. If you're extreme right in the stranger they called you a fastist. If you're extreme right over there, they called you a part of their democracy.
Speaker 2: See all right, thank you, Keith. Yeah, Charlie is called in from picton. Good Charlie, my good.
Speaker 4: So it was Paul Buried at Ran really watched on.
Speaker 2: It before this guy before Linton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well.
Speaker 4: He had a great interview with Alan bond a bond up I think in the street and he said remember May and that was when Bondie was trying to prove he had a bad memory. Oh yeah, it's great, great to watch any right, and but but basically I reckon, you know who I reckon? Really? What should employ Roy and h G? I reckon that would that would write its pants off? You know it would? It would be absolutely fantastic.
Speaker 2: A bit of entertainment. Yeah. The Blake that's doing it now, you know I said he was he squirms in front of the camera. I when I saw him last he wasn't as bad. But he's still doing it so so maybe somebody had a word to him. But he's not really comfortable. I don't know if he'll ever get comfortable with what he's doing. But I don't think he's fulfilling the brief myself. But it would be fun to see Roy and HG taking the you know what out of Yeah, right, that's right.
Speaker 4: And the last thing I was going to say, I don't watch any news programs at night, like Channel nine News ten News seven years, because I find it's snuff. They put on stuff there that I do not want to watch, and like violent people being violent to each other or you know, there's a lot of things that they don't need to put on six o'clock news. I know that it's part of news, but I don't think that you know, seeing road rage, seeing you know, that type of thing, you know. I mean, I'd like to have a news item where you're told that, you know, just hold the basics, but you didn't go into the graphics, and you didn't go in and basically you had a good news scene. Halfway through, it'll break it up with good news stories, you know, so because otherways it just becomes to me like a a snack show, you know.
Speaker 2: So they're playing up the horror in your opinion, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's my opinion. But anyway, that's all I gotta say. And keep up with good work.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you, Charlie.
Speaker 4: Okay bye.
Speaker 2: Jeff has called in from the Sunshine Coast. Good morning, Jeff, Hey, how are you doing not there.
Speaker 12: I live part of you. Every time I come back here, I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: Your phone line is not too good. Are you talking right into your phone?
Speaker 12: Can you hear me better now?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 12: Okay, So I was just saying, I look for about eight weeks of the year here, in the majority of time I live over and I just feel so sorry for young people. They're just bombard with with negative stories that the greater majority of them aren't true anyway. But it's just I just don't understand why people in the media don't start to think more about not the news, but it's just so negative down I just I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Well, uh as as the man from CNN said, fear cells.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but that doesn't help the citizens Australias who.
Speaker 2: Are in the young I think what is more concerning is what young people are told about history and the way some of their teachers go on. I mean, the news is the news. I take your point about it being negative, but U you know, every now and again somebody will try good news, happy news, but it never seems to work. So that's just what human beings are.
Speaker 12: I'm just I'm just ignorant very global warming, which maybe or maybe about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of it's a lot of it's either flat out untrue or very much exaggerated. Yes, look, I appreciate your calling, Jeff, but we're having trouble hearing you. Okay, lovely, see you mate, by bye. Here's an anonymous text that says, is it legal to turn someone's power off? My neighbors do it regularly. Do you mean they turn your power off? I've not heard of that before. Why would they do that? What's in it? Forum? I mean, I've heard people stealing the neighbor's power to uh, you know, provide power for the marijuana farm or whatever it is. But turning somebody else's power, why would they do that just to be annoying anyway, you have to clear that up for me. But I guess that's what you mean, the neighbors turn your power off? Weird? Denise says, Oh my, I thought went on. I've been here since the midnight news. Denise, At what point did you think I wasn't on? Darren says. People have to realize Biden let eleven million illegals in and heaps of them have committed sickening crimes. That's what Darren says. Yes, look, I think that you know, what you are alluding to is the original aim there, but of course I think it also has been taken over by other interests in the same way that Black Lives Matter was. And you know there are people behind the scenes. There are people apparently who are joining the demo for money, and I think there are people who are joining the demo because they are angry with the world and sees it's an opportunity to do a bit of looting. Ben says Alice Cooper. Yes once said the most commercial things are money, sex and death. Love The show says well that I suppose covers most things. Pats from Ostrol, Good morning, Pat, Look.
Speaker 8: I've been listening and having a bit of a giggle. I'd just like to tell you about some of the adventures that my sister and my friend went through years and years ago. Ama Barishter said, we love horses, and we moved out to ostral and he had horses there. So my sister went into the secretarial course and while she was there she met someone at the tech and she ended up doing a course at Hawkesby Agricultural College and the woman there was just an amazing woman.
Speaker 14: She was an a type personality would knock you over like she just knew so much. The only person I know that could talk on the phone, argue with her husband in the next room, and talk to me at the same time giving me directions.
Speaker 8: I don't know how she did it.
Speaker 2: She was a multitasker. A multitasker she was.
Speaker 8: She was amazing. But she was a full on type person. So she had a friend who had a big dairy up at Gostard and he sold sold the cattle and put in stables and made it a plate small like we tired or spelling of thoroughbrees. So he decided he liked Arabian horses, so he had a bit of a point of the bank, and he and this friend of mine went over to Europe to the Middle East to buy Arabian horses. They got to Egypt and they went there thinking, well, we'll get something nice. I need to find that the Americans had been there, paid big bucks and taken everything back to America and there was nothing left that they wanted to sell.
Speaker 11: So this is great.
Speaker 8: So the designer they would go and get a parade saddle. So they asked the guy at the hotel would they taped them into the bazaar and they went in and they walked in and because she's an h type personality, and started talking and the guy wouldn't even answer her. So she had to go and pride him because he was a very quite retricive man, and tell him what she wanted. They thought they were American and they're going to give them the shoddy goods till they found out they were Audie, and they took it out the back and they ended up buying this amazing saddle beautifully hadn't over everything and the bridle, and they couldn't get back out, even to get a cab because it was like a rabbit warrant. So finally they got back to the hotel, I need to be told, you've got to get the hell out of here.
Speaker 12: What it?
Speaker 11: What do you mean?
Speaker 8: They said, Well, the place is surrounded. There's going to be a war. This is the Sixth Day War I think was back late sixties, early seventies. So they rang up and they got a flight out and packed their bags and took off. So they ended up coming back and then they decided that they would go to America. So my sister at that time was working part time up there. And doing a course, and this woman went off jeded off to America. They tried to get horse from Waynew and he said, no way, I've just paid a fortune this when you're not getting it?
Speaker 2: Was he I didn't know he was a horse lover, but yeah, you're gone.
Speaker 8: Oh he has Arabians in the way. He's got a big start outside of Davids.
Speaker 2: Okay, well they are magnificent creatures, but go on. Yes, Well.
Speaker 8: They went to America and they had to argue, almost like give blood to get this horse, which they was a mating of a full brother to Bull's sister. They got it back and I was up there at a horse show and I said, can I see this thing? No, you can't see it. And I said, I came on way people to see this horse, and I was judging the show, and I thought, I've got to see this thing. So he went up to feed it, and I followed him up. And it was a little, stunted, tiny thing with the most exquisite headed eye, beautiful body, but about the size of a pony. So I said, and my games, you're gonn let me have a look at it. She took the go it It was really, really nice. He brought it to his mares and with such an outcross that they had these beautiful head, enormous eyes, absolutely gorgeous, and ended up winning everywhere.
Speaker 11: With these horses.
Speaker 2: Okay, and he.
Speaker 8: Paid a motza for it. I'm telling you a mozza. So they went to the Middle East to get the horses. The Americans had bought them all up. They had to go to America to buy them, and they paid big bucks and they brought it back and he was very happy with what he did in the finish, but it cost him an absolute mozza. But he was happy. He had his horses, and he had his mares, and he was raking the money from thoroughbredge So.
Speaker 2: Well, it sounds like the good life. What happened to the saddle?
Speaker 5: Oh love this.
Speaker 8: They got it home and they had this lovely krabbit stallion and they put it on him and he just went really well and he ended up he won an event at Sydney oyl and he won the stallion under saddle, so they were pretty My sister, of course, rode and it was very very good. We had a really good life back then. Seventy nine. Now, I mean I don't think i'd I could get up and go out the back and start, you know, picking up the horse mirror and you know, brushing them down and everything. But it was really funny because we used to go to the shows and the horses would go completely bananas, you know when they have the side shows and all the noise and everything, and our horses just stood there and they said, what drugs do you give your horses? We said nothing? They said, what do you mean. What we used to do is we get to transistor out and you have back in the sixties, the heavy metal and all that terrible music they had, especially the stone. We touched it down the back, tied the transistor up and call the horses up to be fed, and we white woot them down, you know, clean their feet out and everything.
Speaker 11: The horses went berserk.
Speaker 8: If you just imagine under the board walking all of those really noisy.
Speaker 2: Yeah they were dancing horses.
Speaker 8: Yes, they just stood there and didn't turn their hair. And everyone said what drugs did give? It should nothing because if you win, they can take urine from your course.
Speaker 2: Well yeares that's right, taking tests and they do and they did. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I had a lot of a lot of fun. So I'm just telling me some of the fun they had good old days back in the Little Leaf. And here we are now, what two thousand and twenty five, and they're still over there fighting and killing each other.
Speaker 2: They've been doing it for a long time now. Yep. I thought you were going to tell me back then that they lived pretty much the same as everybody else in the Western world. But then, of course seventy nine the Aya Toler and his mob took over and it became very different.
Speaker 8: Now that wasn't too good.
Speaker 2: No, indeed, Pat, thank you for calling.
Speaker 8: I enjoy listening to you. You're an amazing man. I just wish you were on a bit more.
Speaker 11: I love you boys, Thank you very much.
Speaker 8: You're are very very good at what you do. Thank you for keeping me going during the night by butte.
Speaker 2: Okay, see your Pat. I have eleven short texts here from Denise. Yes, I've read them, Denise. Denise was marveling at Pat's stories. Yeah, I was just curious. It struck a bit of a chord with me talking about the Fancy Saddle because my granny way back. The people who were making I think it was the Ned Kelly movie with Mick Jagger. Anyway, it was one of the original Ned Kelly movies, and the people making the movies the movie came to see my granny, knowing of the arguments that had been had between her would have been her grandfather, I guess, and the Kelly gang. And along the way they noticed that Grannie had kept a lot of stuff that goes on horses, you know, harnesses and saddles and all that kind of thing. So I guess it was authentic to the era, and the film people said, oh, can we take that to make the movie. We promised to bring it back, but of course, being film people, they never did so I'm not sure exactly how fancy the saddles and things were this year, but as I say, I guess they were representative of the era, and the film people took them and put them on film. I don't know what they did with them after that. I mean, seriously, what would you do with it? But they didn't give it back to Granny. Jeffrey has sent me an email. By the way, if you'd like to send me an email, just send it to Overnights at twogb dot com. And I know this program goes on lots of other stations besides TGB. But that's the one that they use for emails for this program, Jeffrey from Beverly Hills, Not the US one. The other one, says Hi Mike. America was not built by slaves working on some cotton fields, but by successive waves of white European, Irish and British migrants. Likewise, the cohort most responsible for building modern Australia was not convicts but postwar migrants, says Jeffrey. I mean, yeah, I take your point. You do see stuff that the convicts built a course, but yes, it's very different from that. But on the whole slavery thing, I mean, seriously, all that stuff about the Lima Agreement and we're going to outsource the industry to the emerging nations, the biggest one being China, and then they will lift their standard of living. You remember all that stuff, and they'll be just like the Western world. Yes, look at how that's worked out. But to my mind, that was always just outsourcing the slavery because a T shirt made in China was so much cheaper than a T shirt made in Australia, or making anything in Australia. For example, the amount of GDP that we get from manufacturing that we export is so tiny, tiny, tiny. But my position is, ultimately, okay, it cost us more to make stuff here because we paid people more in wages, but it was proportional the amount of money those people got for making whatever it was. Okay, we protected it with tariffs, and then we did away with all the tariffs. Oh, look at how that's working out now. My point is it was proportional. People got enough money, was what they earned was proportional to their ability to buy a house, for example. But we don't have any of that stuff now. So when it came to outsourcing the slavery and just relying absolutely on as a lady friend of mine a journal used to say, digging it out of the ground to make a fast buck. That's kind of paled a bit recently since the Chinese aunt is vigorous in the economy department as they used to be. And here we are with a whole lot of people very angry because they can't realize what used to be called the Australian dream. We will have some news for you too at the moment. We've got Wendy from Canon Vale. Hi, Wendy, what do you want to talk about?
Speaker 15: Hello? Hello, Hello, I just want to word folve you that I've got a granddaughter who's been diagnosed with ADHD, and I've put my foot down on any drugs being administered because work five years as a psychiatric clinic and if a child is diagnosed with a mental disease, they stay like it right through to adulthood for the rest of their lives. Drugs do no help whatsoever. They actually stop the child's brain from developing.
Speaker 2: Right, So, how's this going down with the parents.
Speaker 15: Oh, very well, my grandmughder takes notice of me.
Speaker 2: Right, And so your granddaughter is the one that's been prescribed the drugs.
Speaker 15: Oh her daughter?
Speaker 2: Oh, her daughter, says your great granddaughter.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that's right, right.
Speaker 2: And how old is the little girl has been prescribed the drugs.
Speaker 15: I think five. The brain is still developing. You can't give a child drugs. And also it's a long term treatment. Reason why why ADHD is escalating and so many children are being diagnosed. It's a cash cow for the doctors and the drug companies.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, So you say it doesn't work and it retards the brain development of the child, Yes, okay, And you've observed this yourself and it's you're very strongly of that opinion. Yes, okay.
Speaker 15: And I think that all people should be awake to the fact that doctors are business men and they've got to make a living, and so have the drug companies. And they may prescribe something, and so long as it doesn't kill the patient, they keep on doing it.
Speaker 2: As long as it doesn't kill the patient, they keep doing it. I suppose there's not much point in prescribing it if the patient's dead.
Speaker 15: No, but I'll tell you a joke which has a great deal of truth in it. There you go on, and this about a doctor went on holiday and left his newly graduated son, who was a doctor in charge of each clinic. When he came back, the sun was elated. He says, Oh, gee, dare I've cured missus Murphy's ulcer and the doctor ship white. Do you realize Missus Murphy's ulcer put you through medical school?
Speaker 2: I see, all righty, thank you, Wendy.
Speaker 15: Okay, good bye, bye bye.
Speaker 2: David says, good morning and hello to everyone in Australia. From everyone at the Chugan Billiards Club in hang to Shanghai and China. Please look at your email for photos of the Chew Gang billiards club that Chris said he had a look at the emails and hasn't seen any photos. You get any photos, Dale, Dale's indicating something. I have no idea what it meant. He seemed to be pointing to his own head and moving the fingers around. What does that mean? Dale's lost his mind yet? What he's trying to tell us? Anyway? Dale's investigating. He is an anonymous one from a correspondent who says, thank you very much. Oh he was printing it out. I see, okay, all the pictures. Oh, I haven't got time to do it now, but I'll do it after the news. Also the anonymous comment about Donald Trump and what I'll say now is here is the news.
Speaker 1: Now on two GB four B and network stations. Back to our spray your overnight with Mike Jeffries, Good morning.
Speaker 2: Welcome along, have just joined us. Why would you just join us at this hour of the morning. You finished work, you're going to work, you just woke up from a bad dream. I don't know, Jeff says, good morning. The sliding doors moment here in Australia is when Bob Hawk decided to use monies put aside for the Jack Gordon Beale Works program by Malcolm Frasier. For other things, no dams or flood watered diversion was entered into. Some flood victims can't even get insurance. Yeah, I see those stories. Now they should be thanking Bob Hawk and the Labor Party for their situation and other subsequence people who were subsequential people had their hands on the leavers, like the wonderful Daniel Andrews. If we build a dam, it won't make it rain. Been a lot of rain since Daniel said that if we had some dams, if we'd built some dams instead of spending all that money on desalination plants.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: We blame that on people like Tim Flannery who said it's hardly going to rain at all. What was it The rain not only won't fill the dams, the earth will be so dry the earth won't even soak it up, or something like that. But because it hasn't worked out that way at all at all. But then you wonder whether, well there were special arrangements made behind the scenes to build a dam desalination plants. That's dam with an end. We should have been building the other kind, the one that don't have an N on the end. But we haven't done that. Yeah, and we could have. I thought this is interesting. This is on the front page of the Camber Times. You know, Elbow's going on about Amazon. They're going to spend all this money on AI here in Australia, and of course they're doing the full suck up to the government by saying, oh, yes, it will be powered by renewables. Really really anyway, Campra Time's got a story adding up. They say the true value of the public services exclusive agreements with IT giants exposed Right tech deals misreported. This is their front page story. Agencies are obscuring the full amount they spent with global IT giants by misreporting deals worth hundreds of thousands of dollars with the tech behemoths under confidential hold of government agreements. The new figures come as an independent review of the agreements are in their final stages and could recommend significant changes to the secretive deals. Analysis by The Camber Times of oz tender data shows that in the last financial year, the Commonwealth signed contracts worth just shy of two hundred million dollars with IBM, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft, SAP and Oracle that were not listed as being procured under the single seller arrangement with each of the global technology companies. This is despite the agreements enabling agencies to access significant discounts due to the huge sums the Australian government spends with each of the firms. In one example, the Department of Employment Workplace Relations published a nine point seventy five million three year contract with Amazon Web Services last week without indicating the contract was procured under the whole of Government agreement between the Commonwealth and Amazon. Well who would have thought. And of course we also have the situation of the guy from Amazon sucking up with the game. Oh yes, no, we understand that Australia doesn't have a nuclear industry, even though at other Amazon plants they're making sure that that's available to them. But renewables are going to do it here. I don't see that. I really really don't see that. But anyway, if you would like to give me a call or send me a text or an email, you're certainly welcome to do that. Let me read you some of the texts here. Denise says, a bit of convicts and migrants worked very hard and wanted to make Australia AU great, says Denise. Yes, some of them did work hard, no question about that. Maybe not willingly, but they did. Here's the anonymous one I started to read before the news, but then events intervened. Donald Trump, it says must have spent over one hundred million dollars of taxpayers money on his dictator parade and all the time playing golf. If our Prime minister did that, he would be kicked out of office, even by his own party. Do you think do you think Prime Minister is a cunning little fellow when it comes to playing internal politics external I'm not so sure, but internally he knows how to do it. And David, thank you for sending us the photo of the interior of the chew Gan Billiards Club in hang To Shanghai and China. And yes they're pictures of billiard tables and lights and somebody playing billiards. Is that you, David playing billiards there? Yeah, thank you very much for that. What I'd like though, and this is, you know, just to keep the team happy. Chris, who works with me on the program, was very interested in tracking down the billiards club, but he can't find anything about it. So could you send us a photo of the exterior, you know, does it have a nice neon sign saying chew gan billiads something like that, you know, for him, and it says yes, Michael, I just woke up. How did you know? Well, it's a gift. It's a gift, Anna, and I said, so, Hi, my hugs to you. Thank you for the hugs. Not happy. I fell asleep before midnight. Now you have to come back on tonight again to make it up to me. Lots of cuddles, says Anna. Thank you Anna for the hugs and cuddles. And you know, I believe the plan is for Phil to be on tomorrow night. However, we have a plan for after these commercials. Watches I have mentioned on this program before. I do like watches. There's something about watches. A second generation watchmaker is just about to close up at Neutral Bay, even though he's been a watch repair and jewelry shop there for fifty three years. His name's Nick Pearson. He's been good enough to give us some of his time. Good morning, Nick, thanks for doing this.
Speaker 9: Now that Mike, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm very well, thank you. When it comes to watches, men in particular seem to like watches. I'm not saying that women don't. I've mentioned in the past over the years, I've given the occasional lady friend to watch, but I know deep down it's because I like watches, not necessarily that's what she wanted. So what's the fascination with watches? Do you think because there's such remarkable mechanical devices.
Speaker 5: Or what is it?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 13: I think so, and I do agree with you that men seem to be more attracted to watches and collecting watches than the ladies are. I do have ladies that do have their watches, but the guys seem to go in for them.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 13: I guess it's a little bit like them liking to collect cars and so on. But a lot of men don't wear a lot of jewelry. I don't wear jewelry, but I love my watches, and I think mechanical watches are more attractive to guys that like to collect watches as well. Some people like battery powered watches, but mechanical watches, I guess, are more traditional with their mechanisms.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's so much going on in there in such a small space. I think that's a large part of it. I did have a accompaniment to an iPhone for a while until the iPhone fell out of my pocket and crashed. So I've gone back to wearing watches again, and it's sitting in the drawer with the other watches. But there's been some very expensive watches over the years. Tom Brady, you know, the famous quarterback in the US. He was seen out the other day where a watch worth seven hundred and forty thousand US dollars. It was. Let me see if I've got this right, a Caviat turbion.
Speaker 16: M h.
Speaker 2: It seems like a fairly decent price for a watch.
Speaker 10: Well it does.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Look, I'm not familiar with that particular watch, but I think the turbion may refer to the type of escapement in the watch, the mechanical escapement. I'm not familiar with his watch. Whether the price tag is related entirely to the mechanism. Sometimes watches gold with diamonds and so on, and that can make up a large part of the value of the watch. But certainly some of the more well some of the more prestigious mechanical watches and can be very valuable. A lot of them are one off, and a lot of them, I guess come closer to being made by a watch maker. I mean, the term for a tradesman that fixes watches is a watchmaker. That's what I am, a watchmaker, but I've.
Speaker 16: Never made a watch.
Speaker 13: Yeah, there's some nice watches out there.
Speaker 2: Would you like to do that? Would somebody pay you to make them a bespoke watch?
Speaker 13: Oh goodness, I wouldn't have the time, I mean to do that. You you would need to be really well practiced with your machinery and so on, and it would take a lot of practice. You know, you'd have to be doing it over and over again and have access to some really top line production stuff to get the job done.
Speaker 9: I think.
Speaker 2: On the subject of the expensive watch, there's one of Ibilli to leave half a dozen roll exes that used to belong to Paul Newman that's sold at auction for depending on what story you believe, either fifteen point five million dollars or seventeen point eight million dollars. It's Daytona Rolex. But you're the expert, you tell me. But I'm guessing part of that price would be because it belonged to Paul Newman and it has an inscription on the back from his wife, and you know Daytona he's about because you know he took up motor racing in his latter years, and there's an inscription on the back of this particular watch that says drive safely me. That would be his wife, Joanna Woodward. But that's a pretty decent price. Whether it's fifteen point five million or seventeen point eight there's.
Speaker 13: Not much difference between those two when you're getting up into that league. Yeah, look, rocks. A lot of the rolicses are. There's a lot of brands that are collectible for different reasons, but certainly the fact that he owned it would bump the price up and roles to sort of have a tendency. I think more recently they restrict I mean the age of that one makes it collectible, and the fact that Paul Newman owned it, but maybe tend to restrict supply and push the market and the value of their watches in that way. I have heard of not one hundred percent that they're getting into possibly secondhand watches themselves.
Speaker 2: So do people ever come to you. There's a quaint story A lady I know told me a couple of years ago. She's very well off herself, but as somebody who we could charitably describe as a colorful Sydney identity to impress her, apparently had a whole lot more diamonds put around the bezel of his rolex. Do you ever get that kind of request?
Speaker 13: Look, I don't know. People would go to a lot more high for looting establi establishments than mine to have that sort of work done. I mean that sort of work is the job of a jeweler to set diamonds into a watch?
Speaker 3: No, I'm more.
Speaker 13: Repairs, restoration, stainless stainless steel. I don't work. I mean I have serviced gold watchers, but I don't work with them in that way to put diamonds on them.
Speaker 5: Know.
Speaker 2: Anyway, The punchline to the story was she scoffed at it because she thought it was crass, and so it didn't work for him.
Speaker 13: Aha, it doesn't always work.
Speaker 2: No, apparently not. But the kind of work that you do, I mean, is it draining? Or you've done it for fifty three years? Do you love it? Somebody said somewhere your second generation?
Speaker 12: Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Look, I haven't done it for fifty three years. The shop has been in operation for fifty three years. Okay, and Swiss fellow started the shop in seventy two. I started working for him in eighty nine. I worked alongside him and then we were into partnership, and then when he retired, my wife and I bought the business. So I did my trade in country New South Wales with my father in Waldot and I started my apprenticeship in eighty two and that went through to eighty six. So I've been added for what's that forty three years.
Speaker 2: It's still pretty decent innings.
Speaker 13: It is a decent innings, yeah, but I really do enjoy the work. I don't know if I it'd say it's draining. I guess the long hours are draining, which is part of the reason why, well, the main reason why we've closed the shop. It's not because we're not busy. I'm absolutely flat out. I've got that much work that I can't keep up with it. I've do long hours, and my wife and I've reached the stage in life where it's time for us to slow down a little bit. We do a thirty kilometer commute each way each day and the time is just right, you know. We've got more years in the rear view mirror than we coming at us through the windscreen. So it's time for us to start to get a little bit more leisure in our life.
Speaker 2: I don't have one of those great collections like some guys you know that have a whole sideboard full of watches. But I've got a few, and I mentioned to you before we actually started recording, I've got one that I bought at auction and I didn't pay much for it. But since I bought it, a couple of watchmakers told me, oh, you've got to watch here that's got a Rolex movement. And I didn't realize that had anything to do with Rolex, And like I say, I just bought it at auction for not a great deal. On the other hand, I've got a watch that I really like the look of It looks really fancy to me, and I took it to a watchmaker. I said, I think this needs attention. It stopped and he said, ah, it's because the movement is rubbish. I said, what do you think I should do with it? He said, give it to the children to play with. But it was really still got it because I like the look of it. But it's a really well known brand, and I'm surprised to hear the guy say the movement is rubbish. So does that mean you can't always be sure even though it says the brand on the front of the watch of what you're getting inside.
Speaker 13: I guess another possibility is that it might be a replica or a copy right, and so you might get the brand on the dial saying it is such and such. But then when the watchmaker opens it, or not even needing to open it, sometimes you can't tell from the outside, but as soon as you look inside, you know that the movement is as described by that watchmaker.
Speaker 2: Perhaps I know somebody in this business. He and I are not great mates, but a couple of things he's done do make me laugh. He was at lunch with somebody who said, and I noticed this. With people who knowingly buy a copy of an expensive watch, they feel obliged to tell you. Maybe that's because they don't want you to think they were taken in by it. Anyway, this fellow said, look at this, it's a rolex. You can't tell the difference from a real one. And the guy I know had a real one, and he said, look at this, and he got two glasses of water, and he put his real Rolex in one glass and the imitation Rolex in the other glass. One of them kept on ticking, the other didn't.
Speaker 13: That's possible, he Look, the imitation watches come in varying lacks of quality, you can put it that way. Some of the imitations maybe water resistant, some of them may ask that. Yeah, the quality of a copy watch varies from very poor to better.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Nick, there's no doubt, as we've discussed that people like watches, particularly men people, and I guess they will continue to do so. And there's much more interest in a mechanical watch than there is in the kind that comes with your eye, although they do good things as well.
Speaker 13: I guess they have their place.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, but you're not giving up that you're selling up the shop. Why are you selling the shop? It's being developed to something the whole more.
Speaker 13: No, look, Neutral Bay is under a redevelopment. I don't know if you'd call it a cloud. That's just progress living in the city and the need for accommodation, I suppose. But there's a lot going on in Neutral Bay that my wife and I had made this decision regardless of what was going on around it around us. For us, it's just time for a change. It's not because we're not busy. I'm absolutely flat out at work, as I said, So it's more a matter of us just needing to slow down and enjoy leisure in our lives rather than just working all the time. The shop's busy, it's got a loyal clientele, we've got fantastic customers. We're going to miss it everyone. It's just time for us to make a change. The other thing I guess is that having to tend the counter and serve the customers, I can spend all day doing small repairs and looking after customers, and then I've got a lot of work to do servicing and repairing. When I start working at home in my workshop, I won't get any interruptions and I'll be able to get lots and lots of work done, so the turnaround time for anyone that wants to use my services will be a lot quicker, and I'll get to go for a ride on my pushbike in the morning, or go for a coffee with my wife, or walk the dog, rather than getting up at four am every day to jump in the car to drive from Winston Hills to Neutral Bay.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a plan. I wish you well with it. Nick, thanks for coming on the program.
Speaker 13: Thanks Mike all the best.
Speaker 2: Thank you Nick Peers. In the second Generation Watchmaker some watch Talk, Bruce says, I bought my Pulsar watch in nineteen ninety five and it hasn't missed a beat. I would only have an analog watch, brackets, none of this digital stuff. I don't think I've got my first watch. I so pleased to get it. It was an automatic you know, when you move your wrist, it automatically wines, and yeah, I was very happy to get it. Judy says I love watches and have ten. I even have my mum's first watch. She saved money when she was twenty one bought a first watch. It's small, gold and rectangular and has a mother of pearl face and a gold chain band. Still keeps good time. My mum would have been one hundred and two now, okay, It's nice memory to have of your mum. Judy Ben says aDNA watches formerly Roma is It Roma, have been a Brisbane icon since nineteen seventy three. On Something to and Chris says Mike, as you quoted Daniel Andrews, as we build dams that want to make it rain. We have a desalination plant costing over six hundred million dollars per year on maintenance that Labor government built that's not yet been put into service. We'll probably age and get decommissioned without ever delivering a drop of water. This is what labor calls a good investment, says Chris from Laylaw. We really ort to pay more attention the people that we let put in positions where they can spend our taxpayer dollars. It ain't good, Judy says. I'm listening because I wake up at two forty five, glad to hear your voice. Thank you, Judy for the kind words. Philip, Exactly what are you referring to here? That's what you call a weasel? Are you talking about the the guy before that the neighbors turn his power off and then spit That's what he said. Because I'm thinking about that. I mean, isn't that something where you call the cops your neighbors are turning power off. That isn't the sort of thing you should have to put up within a reasonably civilized society.
Speaker 1: And now on Overnight's Entertainment with Alex First.
Speaker 5: Help you.
Speaker 2: Always a good cause, letting us entertain you. Alex First as a film, theater and entertainment reviewer and editor of I Tell You What I Think dot Com? Good morning, How are you?
Speaker 11: I'm well, indeed, and I'm excited because I've seen probably the best shark movie since yours.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a big call, it is, and it's.
Speaker 11: An aussy movie. I just think that is brilliant, because what do you think about yours? And all these years later? It was so influential, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, I remember when I went to see it, and I'm not one much for horror, but it was just good. Well, what can you say? But it was just fun good cheap thrills.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah it was.
Speaker 11: But it was so well made yep as well, And it's funny. There are movies that stick with you and you'll never forget that.
Speaker 16: This was one of them.
Speaker 11: I remember it scares the living, but Jesus out of you when you see it. I mean, Steven Spielberg got a great director, he is anyway, But the performance. You think about the names, Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw.
Speaker 12: Richard Drave, Yes, that really made it.
Speaker 2: You talk about the scary aspect though I don't know whether she was just doing it to humor me, but I suspect maybe it did stay with her. One of the wives I used to sneak up on her and go da da da da dah it and she'd say, don't do that.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the other.
Speaker 11: Thing about if you get this right, the scores stays with you, and this one did.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 11: Look, there's been a lot of other shark movies, and then there've been spoofs like Shark Nado.
Speaker 2: That was fun.
Speaker 12: That was fun.
Speaker 11: I agree, And having said that, a lot of people don't want to go to the cinema to get scared. So there's a decision here when I'm going to talk about Dangerous Animals, which is the movie that I'm referring to. It's rated with very good reason, and it's got a nice running time of ninety eight minutes, so big, big picks as far as that's concerned. But you imagine Jaws meets Dead Calm, the Nicole Kidman movie, right, and then you add steroids, and that's what you get with Dangerous Animals, and the direction the script is terrific, but the direction.
Speaker 2: Is really what makes this okay.
Speaker 11: So the Australian act Jy Courtney is just so damn good. Really, I suppose you make a name for yourself if you're a good baddie. And that's what Gy Courtney is here, positively chilling. He plays as roll as a Gold Coast charter boat operator by the name of Bruce Tucker, and he specializes in taking tourists out the sea and dry helping them into the ocean in a shark proof cage to watch these apex predators up close and personal. Now, I don't know, is that something that you could ever contemplate doing. I think it'd be scared witless, but a lot of people would get.
Speaker 6: Off on it.
Speaker 11: I don't know, would you do that?
Speaker 2: I did that to a contributor on the Breakfast program I was running way back. I put him in the shark tank at Manly Aquarium as it was then.
Speaker 11: Really and how was the experience for the person?
Speaker 2: Well, it certainly generated a lot of interest.
Speaker 11: I was going to say a change of clothing. Perhaps. Having said that, we basically witness what this character Bruce Tucker does when a couple of people who tourists won a Canadian and the other a brit They take the plunge and they were going.
Speaker 3: To go to Sea World.
Speaker 11: I mean they missed the boat, so to speak, and they decided to try this whole operation with the charter boat operator. Anyway, there's more to this guy than meets the eye. And that's when you get the introduction of an American, a strong world American called Zephyr. I kind of like that name.
Speaker 2: Z Thyr used to be a car whee all craved called Afford zephyrt.
Speaker 11: Correct, yeah, exactly, played by Hasse Harrison. And she's a loaner with quite a harsh background and she's trying to sort of well leave behind the bad experiences in America. She's come out to Australia to serve and she has a chance meeting with a real estate salesman called Moses played by Josh Houston, and he's trying to buy some jumper leeds to start his car, and Zephyr is kind of wary of him, but in time she warms to him and the pair ends up making out. Now she's not looking for any tie. She, as I said, is a loaner and she leaves before dawn after the two have got together, so she hits the road battered camper van, that's what she calls home in Australia, and she leaves Moses without so much as a goodbye. The next thing you know, she's prevailing upon this shutterboat operator Bruce Tucker before daylight. What's called a fin key. Now, if you're not a surfer, you screw fins into the tail of the surfboard. That's why you need a fin key.
Speaker 5: And that's when the real drama.
Speaker 11: Begins in Dangerous Animals, because the seemingly affable Tucker is anything but he is in fact a serial killer who likes trapping women and feeding them to the sharks.
Speaker 2: Hmm, it seems like you've trouble.
Speaker 11: To go too, but yeah, well yeah, all the while filming their agonizing final moments, you don't right. And Zephyr fortunately is a real fighter who, despite the position in which she is in, she isn't going to go down without an almighty struggle. And that's what makes Dangerous Animals such a good film. And the writer is a guy called Nick Leopard, and it's quite an outrageous screenplay. So this is not conventional and it benefits from all these twists that just keep on coming, which I love. So you think the first hour is twisted, but you ain't see nothing yet wait for the last forty minutes, is all I can say. And it really pushes the boundaries. It's far fetched, yes, it's preposterous, yes, but there's much about it that is original. It's creative and I love that. And the acting is really good. I've already said Courtney is terrific. I mean he orchestraates well, that the character he plays, he orchestrates kills with a.
Speaker 2: Smile on his face.
Speaker 9: And how else can I put this?
Speaker 11: He takes pride in his work. Now, a lot of people have turned off around about now.
Speaker 2: I get that, but I don't know that there will be people who will really like to go see this. So on the horror films go or what do you give it?
Speaker 11: Well, I was going to say, Hattie Harrison's really potent and highly pragmatic as the loaner Zephyr, and she sort of brings attitude to Burn, So look good on the director Sean burn Milk the radical conceit for all Agaan, and the tension is palpable. I reckon this is really it's provocative and grizzly, so seven and a half, maybe even pushing an eight out of ten from movie that is going to appeal to some. It's right at Ma again ninety eight minutes.
Speaker 2: Dangerous animals, dangerous animals. I was thinking about your question of me, you know, sending the guy to the shark tank and the manly aquarium. Would I do it myself? Let me just say this to you, Alex. It was a good day for me in my life when I learned to delegate. Now what about materialists?
Speaker 11: Well, how difficult? And you can answer this, how difficult is it to find your perfect match?
Speaker 2: Ah? Gee, I don't know you have a perfect Do you.
Speaker 11: Have a perfect match? That's the first question.
Speaker 2: Well not at the moment, but I suppose over the years I have had, But you know they weren't forever perfect matches.
Speaker 11: And that's the point. So look, if you to buy, if you were to buy into the conceit of materialists in rateed one hundred and seventeen minutes, then you're basically using the term shark again. It's a shark pool out there, and finding mister Omer's right is the stuff of nightmares. And that's why they turned to this matchmaker Matchmaker Extraordinary called Lucy played by Dakota Johnson. She really is a smooth operator in this space, and she's got a great track record, good patter, and the firm that she works for has just celebrated her ninth marriage of couples that she's matched and her boss recognizes a talent for bringing people together. She though, is thirty five years of age and single in spite of everything that she does for others, and she's basically only prepared to hitch her wagon as the expression goes to somebody who is uber wealthy, Oh yeah, okay, And so at the wedding of a ninth match she's hit upon by a debonair rich guy. He's a financier played by Pedro pescal and he happens to be the brother of the groom, and although she is determined to keep her distance, he woos her and the two do get it together. At the same time, she bumps into her ex of five years, whom she hasn't seen for ages, and this is played by Chris Evans, and he's a struggling theater actor who just gets by taking hospitality jobs. And one of those happens to be at this wedding, and he lives in this tiny, dirty apartment with a couple of roommates who don't respect each other's personal space. Now, Lucy broke up with Lucy's the character played by Dakota Johnson broke up with the Chris Evans character because he was and remains poor. But there's still a spark between them then, and this is the kicker among those for whom Lucy's finding it hard to find a soul mate is a thirty nine year old woman. And then something happens to this woman that shatters her and also Lucy, and trying to deal with that is going to test both of them. So the first film by this director and writer, her name is Celine's Song was a ripper. It's called Past Lives. You haven't seen it well worth seeing its original and it looked and felt real, and it dealt with childhood friends reuniting many many years later as adults. I'm afraid I found Materialist less convincing. It took a while to settle and actually to take off, and even though there were some light bulb moments, and certainly there were, overall I thought it was slow, It was awkward, ultimately too long. It didn't need to be a couple of hours, and the dialogue sounded like a series of feel good cliches. Nor was I convinced by the characterizations of any of the major players. They sort of It felt like a try hard movie, if that makes sense. And my biggest criticism is that this movie never really settled on what it wanted to be. Either a hard drama, a rom com, may be a straight out love story. So it had elements of each of them, and it lurched from one to another and then back again. Now, Okay, I'm, of course a middle aged white guy. I get that, so maybe I'm not the right target audience. But in fairness, I generally like chick flicks, which this one is, and I like it probably more than the next bloke. You know, I kind of get off on some of these. But I'm not saying don't see the material. Is what I'm saying is when you went to the cinema to see it, a level of healthy cynicism is not a bad thing to take in there, and then you can appreciate elements of it. And it was kind of fascinating to me because I spoke to a number of others who saw it with me at a media preview, and they enjoyed it much more than I did. I just, I just it was such a strong opening film for Celene Song, the first movie that you kind of have expectations of the second one, and this doesn't quite live.
Speaker 12: Up to it.
Speaker 2: Okay, what did you give it? In the end?
Speaker 12: Look?
Speaker 11: Probably a six to six and a half out of ten for some materialists. M rated one hundred and seventeen minutes. Not a bad film, but not what I would call a great movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, Alex, we'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 12: Always good to talk.
Speaker 11: And go out and see a movie if you haven't seen one for a while. Don't just sit at home and watch it on streaming. You know, support the cinemas.
Speaker 2: Alex is a film, theater and entertainment reviewer and editor. I tell you what I think. Dot com good morning. We will have the news for you at three o'clock Australian Eastern Standard time. May not apply to all listeners that time. Here's something If only Dale had known about this. You know, Dale was with Crooked during the week, but he's better now. He says he could have gone to this Filipino healer. She treats sick people with pit viper bites. It seems a bit cruel, isn't it. I mean, you're already not feeling well, and then you go to this person to be cured and you get, as part of your treatment, bitten by a venomous pit viper. Her name is Rosalio Kulit, also known as Dautu Canandag among his fellow Minobo tribe members in Surigao del Norte and Mindanao, a controversial, no kidding HeLa who uses viper venom to treat various ailments. He claims he only discovered the curitive properties of snake venom by accident, after being bitten by one of his pet pit vipers many years ago. At the time, he was battling several illnesses, but just days after being bitten by the snake, he felt a lot better, so he deduced the bite had cured him. Maybe all the viruses just gave up. God can't compete with his stuff. This viper venom, the pit viper Latin name tropidi lemus supernalutus. I know you really needed that to take notes. Venom ever since has made a name for himself as a snake healer. There's a picture here of a pit viper. It doesn't look like it's got your best at heart. He's I think I've confused my quirkies here. This seems unfair. A huge alligator has been cited for suspicion of being a dinosaur in North Carolina. I thought they were dinosaurs. I thought they'd been around that long. A North Carolina Sheriff's office assisted with the capture of a nearly four hundred pound alligator and joked that the reptile was cited for suspicion of being a dinosaur without proper papers. Man, It's getting tough in the US, isn't it. Yeah, I told you about a comic I wanted to come on the program, but he's going to the US and he doesn't want to say anything that might anyway be used against him, like appearing on the radio or the shock jock. I guess the Onslow County Sheriff's Office said on social media. The deputies responded alongside North Carolina Wildlife Resources personnel when the prehistoric purp unquote was caught loitery near the double yellow line on an Old thirty road. It is a pretty big beast, got a giant mouth and jaws. I mean, I know you expect that to some extent, but this one seems to be an extreme example. The alligator, dubbed Pepe by the Sheriff's office, was estimated way between three hundred and fifty to four hundred pounds. I've forgotten what that is in metric, but it's a lot. The nearly ten foot reptile, yeah I know what ten foot is, more or less, has been sucided for suspicion of being a dinosaur without proper papers, public loitering with intent to sunbathe, and obstructing traffic. The Sheriff's offace said they're wags, aren't they. In the North Carolina Sheriff's Office officials write the alligator was safely relocated with no injuries to humans or reptiles. Well, that was a nice result. His way to spend your life. A Swiss man has been buried in snow for two hours to break a world record. He put his cold endurance to the test and broke a Guinness World record by spending more than two hours buried in the snow while wearing only his swimming trunks.
Speaker 3: MM hmm.
Speaker 2: His name is Sir Elias Meyer, a competitive powerlifter, said he decided to take on the title for the lowest time spent in direct full body contact with snow after discovering no one had yet cracked the two hour mark. The previous record, said by a Polish man Valre and Romanovski in twenty twenty two, stood it an now forty five minutes and two seconds. So this guy, wearing only the swimsuit, was buried under a mound of snow for two hours and seven seconds. He said. The col bothered him less than the weight of the snow pressing down on him. The heavy snow pressed me down, caused my shoulders and elbows to ache. Perhaps you feel a sharp ice cube against your back with no chance to do anything about it, You can only be thankful for everything, he wrote on Instagram. Like I say, I mean, it's good. He's wasting his life.
Speaker 1: Now on two GB, four BC and network stations. Go back to us right you're overnight with Mike Jeffrey.
Speaker 2: Good morning. Here's a text from Susan says, this morning, Mike enjoining your show this morning as always. Thank you Susan, so glad you and dale On and that shark movie sounds like a comedy, really pretty grim comedy, if that's the way you see it. The shark movie sounds like a comedy. Well, I suppose depends what you see as being amusing women being ripped apart by sharks. Maybe JJ would like that. Listen to this, JJ, You know JJ sends in texts here he's talking about the viper treatment. Bitten by a viper Mike. Surely it couldn't be any worse than being kissed by an unfaithful woman, says JJ. What are you telling us, JJ, that there's been heartbreak in your past that's left you broken and angry?
Speaker 6: Or you.
Speaker 2: Just confusing your Shakespeare? You know the phrase how sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child? That's from King Lear. But you knew that.
Speaker 5: JJ.
Speaker 2: I also says, buried a nice mike to keep his mind busy for a couple of hours that he was buried. This fellow might have recited wordsworth trip up Mount Snowden in his prelude, I mean book the fourteenth. Thus, in one of those excursions made their near fade from remembrance through the Northern tracts of Cambria, ranging with a youthful friend. I left Bethel Glert's huts at couching time and westward took my way to see the sunrise from the top of Snowden. Beth Gelert. That's a good name. I'm not familiar with that piece, JJ, but you know me, I did leave school at fifteen. Not my idea, but I kind of agree though. What was that movie Night Crawler? And one of the characters in that who went from being a small time criminal to providing horror stories for a tabloid TV show said of this age, it's all out there if you want to go look for it. Yeah, I agree with that, Yes, etc. Yes, all right, thank you for that, jah Jay.
Speaker 17: How about this?
Speaker 2: These Chinese Shanghai authorities recently moved a traditional Sheikerman style building complex at a pace of ten meters per day with the help of an army of four hundred and thirty two hydraulic powered robots. The headline is Chinese city moves entire historic neighborhood using hundreds of hydraulic legs. The Hawanli complex, located within xiang Yuan in Shanghai's Jing'an district has been touted as China's largest relocation project of its ti kind, both in terms of size and complexity. The tight layout of the building complex, which dates back to the twenties and thirties, made traditional construction and relocation tools virtually unusable. But authorities need to weigh to move the entire block several hundred meters for the construction of a three story underground structure, it required all sorts of advanced technology that allowed the team in charge to temporarily relocate the seven half thousand metric ton four thousand thirty square meter building complex. So they used these hydraulic jacks, hydraulic legs. Like the headline says, they use building information modeling in point cloud scanning technologies to create detailed three D blueprints and goes on and on with engineering detail. Speaking of engineering detail, I kind of look forward to this. You know, some of the car parks I use are reasonably accessible. You know, they're wide enough, others not so much. Not much room to open the door, even on the medium sized sedan, and you've got to get in and out, and there's not a lot of room to do that. And there are other people who are trying to do similar things. But now the South Korean car manufacturing giant Hyondai has developed an intriguing parking robot that can park your car better than any human valet ever could. Car companies have invested billions of dollars into advanced automated parking solutions to really human drivers of this stress of parallel parking or backing up into tight spaces. Some systems have turned out better than others, but unless you were willing to pay a fair bit extra for an advanced system, you're stuck with your own human parking skills. But what if there was a way to have your old or cheap car parked automatically without even having to keep the engine running. Yondo's developed an ingenious parking robot that can glide under virtually any kind of car, lift its wheels, and then park it perfectly in a designated parking spot. Yeah, I'm with them. I think that that's a good idea. Jeffrey from the non US Beverly Hills says, when I saw the trailer for the Shark movie, I thought it was a comedy too. Okay, well maybe you know. It depends on what makes you laugh. Did you think it was a comedy, he said to Dale, his associate.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: He shook his head, which, of course is a gesture that always works well on the radio. A couple of things. Before you adopt your National Days persona, adopting your film critic persona, you can understand why a listener thought that the what's it called the animals movie? Yeah, Dangerous Animals, Dangerous Animals was a comedy.
Speaker 17: Look, I don't know. It certainly doesn't it's certainly not a comedy. But Jai Courtney in it, who plays the serial killer, is such a congenial. But also he looks like he's having so much fun doing the nasty things he's doing. Maybe the trailer shows him like with the big you know, the big laugh and the big smile on his face while he's doing these nasty deeds. About the only thing I can think of, because I had seen the trailer only probably only in the last week, and it started the Thursday, and it was only a couple of days beforehand. I saw the trail and thought, oh, this looks interesting because it's beautifully photographed. It's and the like the shark footage, and that is quite good. It's no like animatronics and things. They there's only I do want to go into too much detail. There's there's one shot. I think, oh that looks a bit dodgy, but otherwise it looks terrific.
Speaker 2: Hmm, okay, but not a comedy.
Speaker 17: No no no, speaking of that, well, no no no, we'll see no no cat thinks it's no no for a comedy too.
Speaker 2: Well, Mick was asking, whereas the no no cat just heard Mike's clearest no no, no ever and no cat that we did bring it in non queue there with dale por no no cat.
Speaker 17: Well, I'm no longer with us.
Speaker 2: I'm a bit worried about this, this cat that I'm minding for a lady friend, because it was so happy. You know those little oil column heaters. I turned on one of those in the cat discovered it's such a lovely warm spot. It's so happy being near the heater. And when I came into work, I thought, well, I leave it like that. No, I don't burn the house down, and so I turned it off. But it takes a while for it to cool down. But I'm thinking of the poor cat. So a li'll slowly cool down and the cat will think, why have you deserted me in my hour of need.
Speaker 17: Our heads are pretty safe, though, I mean, you certainly wouldn't leave one of those bar heaters on. I wouldn't know, no, But then again, I wouldn't leave a heater on if I wasn't in the house.
Speaker 2: Well, that's for the sake of the cats. I'd be tempted, That's what I thought. I mean, the cat seem so happy. I was tempted. But in the end I thought, no safety provided. No, no, no, no, no, We've had enough no notice for the moment. Let's have this National Days brought to you by Tim Tams.
Speaker 17: Nothing goes down better in the middle of the night than a beautiful Tim.
Speaker 2: Tam and a nice cup of tea. So you got some National Days.
Speaker 17: Oh Fudge Fudge Day, Yes, today's Fudge Day can be closed fudge because it's funny the term of fudge. When something goes wrong with your fudge, something it actually ties in with how it came about.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 17: Yeah, but you know there's a lot of eyes like fudge. There used to be a when I worked at road show down at Darling Harbor, when they actually had a big shopping thing down at Darling Harbor, they pulled it all down. Now, there was a little fudge shop there and it had samples, so we used to unobtrusively during lunchtime, just walk past and then walk back again five minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh, Nick, your fudge.
Speaker 17: Oh yeah, but the fudge a really good fudge. You wouldn't want to eat too much of it anyway. You have to eat it in tiny bits because it's just so so sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 17: But according to legend, Mike, a confectioner loved while trying to make Carroll but ended up creating something just as tasty, which is obviously turn out to be fudge. The fudge originates from a messed up batch of camels, since the name so the actually, oh fudge, I messed this up. Oh this is actually pretty good. Have you ever tried to make fudge? I take it.
Speaker 11: No, no, no, but no no.
Speaker 2: Fudge can come in different forms. I mean you can get fudge topping, oh yeah, and you can get more solid fudge. Oh yeah.
Speaker 17: I tried to make fudge one time. I had some big, huge bag of marshmallows that were on sale at Wilworth and I said, oh, oh, I like marshmallows so they were sitting there for ages and then I thought, oh, how can I make in the fudge? Because I knew that was one of the recipes. So I used I always get this wrong chat TPG or tea Chi, I can't remember which one of these. I used that to give me a fudge recipe, and.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 17: It tasted great, but it didn't turn hard. It still was sort of like you pick it up and a gat like bendy floppy. Oh yeah, I still tasted good though.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we're not stroying into one of those TV ads.
Speaker 17: No, definitely not. Okay, Yeah, but it was in eighteen eighty six that's when fudge originates from the messed up batch of caramels which I mentioned. Eighteen eighty six, a fudge sold in Baltimore at forty cents a pound for the first time. That was the first time it was ever sold. So in eighteen eighty six eighteen eighty nine, the first fudge shop opens in Mackinac Island in Michigan, and nineteen oh six ice cream parlor C. C. Brown's in Hollywood is credited for inventing the hot fudge Sunday and that's one of the things I do, in Joe, if I get a McDonald's.
Speaker 2: You know you talk about you like your biscuits.
Speaker 17: I do, and I'm off them again. No, I haven't had any tonight, I swears. I like these little sponge things with some kind of filling in them. Jam the little round one one like a rolly thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they've got this clear white sort of filling in them. Anyway. They're called ginger kisses.
Speaker 17: Oh where do you get them? I don't.
Speaker 2: That's a supermarket. But when I can't find them, I feel a bit sensitive about a grown man saying, excuse me, where are the ginger kisses? Right here?
Speaker 17: Sweet here? Now here's one you should do, Mike, you should have done today. And I always wish I had have done this. It's take your cat to work day.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, sir, I could have done that.
Speaker 17: I suppose, yes, I could have because it's nice and warming here. It's toasty woman, that's true.
Speaker 2: It would have been happy in here, I guess.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I don't know how. I don't know if I would have. I always thought when I was very much attached to my last cat. In no way, and I don't have a cat or Mick, I don't have another cat. I always felt it would have been nice to have Bord along because she was such a good cat. She just loved being anywhere I was. She was very coomfortable being there because she was a bit like a dog. But I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone ever doing this, because I think there's also likewise, there's a taking dog to work day, and I don't think anyone's done that. For a while, there was one of the workers here who is no longer here. I won't mention her name, but she I think it was on Fridays, and I only discovered this when I was working on the night program over summer. She had her dog in here, but the dog left something behind.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't think it would have worked with this cat, because this cat wants constant attention. It's one of those cats. If you're talking to somebody on the phone, it comes up and wants to head butt you and say what about me?
Speaker 5: Me?
Speaker 7: Me?
Speaker 2: So if it came in here and I'm talking on this thing, it'd be you know, what about me?
Speaker 5: Me?
Speaker 6: Me?
Speaker 2: And it'd be headbutting and like a pone and me and purring and yeah. So I don't know if it would have succeeded.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I might mention. Also sorry it left the treat right beside Clinton made Heart's desk. I made sure I got rid of it. Say Clinton didn't have to do it.
Speaker 2: Oh I see, Okay, Susan's as I had the best ever fudged little shop in York in England. Very nice. Those poems can make make fudge. Mick says. How these cats got the better off as a warm bed e meal and keep the noise down. Very shifty, says Mick. Jerry says, okay, Jerry. Ginger kisses were popular on Gilligan's Island. Wum tish Jerry from Sutherland. Yes, oh yes, did you brightened up an adolescent's day? Indeed?
Speaker 17: But Marianne got the most male, did she? She did? Indeed, I think it would have been because I think it was the way they I heard it mentioned in It was in a documentary I saw it said that they wanted to date Ginger, but they wanted to marry mary Anne. She was the marrying kind. The cats were domesticated back around ten thousand BC that we use as vermin control during the rise of agriculture three thousand and five BC. Ancient Egyptians. They love their cats, mic they were very keen on cats. Bastet, their goddess of warfare, had a cat head. I never heard of Bastet, and I know quite a bit about the culture of Egypt and little bastets. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And in two thousands, cats rule thirty four percent of US homes. That's around ninety million domesticated cats entertaining owners around the country. I imagine that would be very sort of a similar percentage here, lots of cats. Yeah, Aberist Appreciation Day. Don't you really appreciate your arborist?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: When I was in primary school, we had to venerate arbor Day or something. Oh yeah, is that the same thing.
Speaker 17: Well, I must have probably had something to do with. But we show appreciation of these unsung heroes of tree cultivation, maintenance, and management. I suppose in non botanical gardens, I imagine they'd have professionals go through there and check out the trees.
Speaker 2: I suppose, So, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 17: I don't think she was an aborist, but I told her this story. Was it last year? Got a knock on the door and I went out there hill Rump, who was waking me up and there was a tree that had come down out front and crashed in in front of my house. I slept through it, and the councilwoman was there, and they just wanted to let me because it was right across my fence, against my house and against where I was sleeping. But I didn't totally oblivious. It didn't cause any damage.
Speaker 2: Yes, I the housewms with lots of big trees about him. My mother was always worried they're going to fall in the house. So me and the boys took a photo of us leaning against the trees to keep the house safe well and sent it to mother. I don't know whether that calmed to fears.
Speaker 17: I probably did, But in this case, the woman was actually this is what the guys who ended up coming around to cut up the tree told me. The woman was there inspecting the trees and it actually fell down while she was inspecting it.
Speaker 2: Tim, I know those trees.
Speaker 17: Yeah, But anyway, the original of oh god, a bora culture, A bora culture, Am I saying that word right?
Speaker 2: I'm probably med?
Speaker 17: Yeah, traces back to ancient times. It was infertile Crescent that the first trees were cultivated in Mesopotamica. In Egypt. Owing to migration and trade exchangers, techniques in aberriculture were developed and the profession spread throughout Europe. The date palm tree was the first to be cultivated in the Middle East because of the popularity of its sweet fruit. By six thousand BC, Mike Asia began cultivating olive trees, which became so popular they reached North Africa through trade. Discovery of olive trees as producing oil became a vital part of ancient civilization in Italy. So you know, looking after trees is a good thing. I've just got a trouble with my mulberry tree. I keep cutting it back. I stupidly can't seem to get rid of it, Mike, because I feel bad about chopping down a tree. So I chop it back every summer, and then of course it sprouts up and.
Speaker 2: There it is again. Yeah you remember stan Ze Manik. Oh, Yeah, stan had a very nice house on the northern side of the spit. And for people who can't picture Sydney, beautiful area, it's a beautiful area overlooking this big patch of water. And anyway, there was this tree, a giant conifer of some confer obscuring stands view and he wanted to cut it down to the council said no, no, no, no, no, no, no no no. They said, where's the cat. We'll wait for the cat. Yeah, all right, thank you cat. Anyway, so picture this giant triangular shaped tree yep, right obscuring Stan's view. Not allowed to cut it down. So what he did was he got an arborist probably I don't if it was on the appropriate day, and about one third up the tree, he cut all the branches off.
Speaker 17: Oh so it's got a nice little ball spot.
Speaker 2: So it had the top and then it had the bottom that you could see through the tree. Oh, it's nice. It worked.
Speaker 17: It was a win win for everyone, I suppose. Yes, yes, I think we need a break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dom says arborist day a day celebrating men with no teeth and to charge like wounded bulls. Fascinating, she is, Dom, What does that mean? I don't know.
Speaker 17: Maybe he's had an arborist and they didn't have any teeth.
Speaker 2: Denise says, I love trees. Sharon says high Mike and Dale, is there cat jackets that you know of? My cat is outside. Thank god it's not snowing. Yes, I don't like hair everywhere, says Sharon, worried about her cat being cold. But most cats, I know it's smart enough to keep their given fur coats. Oh, yes, indeed, I think they're Okay. I have seen I have seen a cat in.
Speaker 17: A little coat. I think it'd be hard to keep it on it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't think they'd take a world of clothing, but anyway. Sharon also says tries Summer Rolldale Summer Roll Newgar.
Speaker 17: Oh they're nice.
Speaker 2: You will love it. Okay, so bothered me here one time, and I scoffed quite a few. Susan also says Dale, don't get rid of the Mulbury tree. They're so tasty. I think mulberry pie and jam et cetera. They cost a bomb at the shops.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I know, but it also attracts the bats. I did when the tree was a lot bigger, before I really hacked it back. I did take a big, big, big bowl of Moulbery's down when my mum was still around, and I think her neighbor made a pie out of it. It was the last time we.
Speaker 2: Had that mulberry pie. But Mulbury's kind of decline as the tree gets older, because when the tree is young, they're great, big, slightly tart berries, but they get smaller, and when the tree is quite old, they're really small and kind of sickly, so they only have a certain time. Yes, anyway, we'll take a break National Days with Dale. What do you go on?
Speaker 17: And it's fresh Veggies Day, Mike. I like this day. I try if I get the opportunity, and I did this on the weekend. I go down to Patty's Market to stock up on quite a few things. I had a custard apple yesterday.
Speaker 2: I ate that you don't like them.
Speaker 17: I'm going to try and keep the seeds and see if I can grow them. I sort of reasonably easy to sort of wrap them up in paper. Wait from this brown.
Speaker 2: They are on the list of things that I don't like because we had such a glut of them when I was a kid in Pasland.
Speaker 17: Oh okay, now I haven't had one since I was a kid, and when on the Patty's market, I saw it and said, oh, I have one of those, because I haven't had.
Speaker 2: One for a while. But we had to eat all these things like mangoes, you know, because there were poor people in China who have mangoes.
Speaker 17: Oh yeah, I think I caught that when I was a kid. I'm not sure if I copped that with the tripe. Yeah, I probably didn't matter what I was threatened to with. I could sit there all night, I would not touch.
Speaker 2: The true Yes, well, mama, don't you put him in the back of the station wagon and take them over to the poor people in China?
Speaker 17: Oh lordy LORDI anyway, I do like fresh vegetables, and obviously a lot better than the if you get the opportunity, it's a lot better than getting the ones that are possibly put in cryogenic freeze.
Speaker 2: For a while. Watching my show the other day where a woman said she was telling the truth that she ate twenty five carrots to day, it seems like a lot, doesn't it.
Speaker 17: Twenty five carrots?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I do like carrots, but twenty five a day seems a lot.
Speaker 5: So do I.
Speaker 17: But if I like, if I ate one, I wouldn't feel like anyone for like months.
Speaker 2: Well, the amount she was eating she was going to skin went orange.
Speaker 17: That wouldn't surprise me. I've read that that actually does happen. Yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe it's better than getting going and getting a Sun Tannery. Here's what I do like also, Mike, I have visited quite a few. I did quite a few in Canada and quite a few places. It's International Waterfall Day.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that sounds nice.
Speaker 17: Which beautiful I mean great place. I mean, I'm sure every way it's got it's great places to go and check out some waterfalls, whether it be the Blue Mountains or down in any of the national parks. But I've seen some beauties. I always remember in Utah, I was in a little town called Nephi. Me and my friend were traveling and the snow hadn't the snow was still around, and there was We asked, because I was visiting a friend that I'd previously met in Utah, you.
Speaker 2: Were visiting one of your four wives near one of those because they used to allow that back in the day.
Speaker 17: Yes, And so we asked where there were some waterfalls, told us where there were, and this was We ended up going in the waterfall and this was water which was melting off the mountains. We still had snows, so we got in the freezing cold water. Tangy then it was, but it was very very nice. But European explorers used to document the waterfalls they came across. In fourteen ninety three, Christopher Columbus wrote about Carbet falls in Guadaloupe Guada loop quite a loop, gua a loope, Yeah, Guada loopep, which could be the first waterfall Europeans recorded seeing in the Americas. However, geographer Brian J. Hudson suggests it was uncommon to specifically named waterfalls until the eighteenth century. But whatever they do, they're beautiful to look at, and I stop at every waterfall I see, Mike and take some nice little footage.
Speaker 2: Well, that are marvelous natural features.
Speaker 17: Now I can't the place I went on a cruise in New Zealand to go down and see these amazing waterfalls, which obviously most of them are caused by the snow melting off the mountains.
Speaker 2: What have you so?
Speaker 17: Yeah, Finally, Mike, it's World Sea Turtle Day. Is it this to raise awareness about the plight of the sea turtles?
Speaker 2: Mike?
Speaker 17: Did you know that every year about eight tons of plastic had dumped into our oceans. That's extremely hazardous the sea turtles, poor turtle, so much so that six out of eight marine turtle species are on the verge of extension. And they are delicious tur I my dad.
Speaker 2: I don't think I could bring myself to eat anything turtle sourced.
Speaker 17: No, no, I couldn't do that.
Speaker 2: I couldn't at all.
Speaker 17: But the only reason I've ever heard of turtle soup is because of Gilligan's Island, Okay, And I don't think even then. I don't think I would have eaten turtles.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 17: I can't imagine what of them taste like, but I can imagine that I wouldn't like the taste of it.
Speaker 2: So what do you tell me? They were going to visit the galapagus, and I said, be sure to give my regards to the turtles. Oh, they're pretty big apparently.
Speaker 17: Yeah, two shaped member, two shape turtle. No, that was a cartoon. It was one of the Hanniba bearer and had a turtle who had a sword. It was a two see away.
Speaker 2: A turtle was a toil. You don't expect that thing?
Speaker 17: Yeah, yeah, foiled again. The decline in the turtle green turtle population. This is in the seventeenth century. They decline from ninety one million down to thirty thousand. That was possibly because they were hunted and eaten. I guess, so yeah, yeah, seventeenth century decline in hawks hawks bill turtles. The population of hawks bill turtle decreases from eleven million to less than thirty thousand, So there's a couple of different turtles that sort of finishing vanishing. Between tuesdayand and one and twenty eleven, the population of loggerheads that's another turtle in the North Pacific declines by about eighty percent, And in twenty fourteen, leatherback turtle nests increased from twenty seven only twenty seven in nineteen eighty nine to six hundred and forty one in twenty fourteen. So you've obviously gone about trying to rectify this decline in turtles.
Speaker 2: I've never really done anything for turtles, but I like to feel that I've done my bit for the training long neck tortoise. Oh yeah, because we used to keep the gloves in the car, the tortoise gloves to pick them up because they'd be there. You know, their defense against to be double running them over was to withdraw arms, legs, heads and tail and sit in the middle of the road. So I used to pick them up and take them and put them in the creek. And I've done so many in all humility. I like to think that I'm a god for the turtles. Oh you turtle savior, and they talk among themselves. Did the gloves come for you?
Speaker 17: But see turtles among the oldest creatures on Earth, Mike, having remained unchanged for one hundred and ten million years. Well, like Keith Richards, when you've got to design this week for you, white change. Yeah, like sharks. I suppose in a lot of cases they got a little bit smaller. Yeah, they pretty much have stayed the same. Like crocodiles as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, the crocodile accused to being a dinosaur in North Carolina.
Speaker 17: I think they are a dinosaur. Yeah, and good for when you talk about the dinosaurs disappearing. But you can look at certain critters that we're still used to seeing, like hippopotamus and stuff, and they look pretty prehistoric to me.
Speaker 2: They certainly do. And they'll bite you if you give them a half a chance. Yeah.
Speaker 17: A female turtle uses its rear flippers to dig nest hole and then lays about one hundred eggs. After laying the eggs, the turtle covers them up, camouflages and nest site before returning to the ocean.
Speaker 2: The job is nesting.
Speaker 17: Turtles may return to the nesting site for laying eggs several times and usually nest every two to three years. And obviously they do it in such abundance because not all of them make it. They might get down, they can eaten by a seagull.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, all right, thank you Mike. That's National Days with Dale. Thank you Dale. How to know if a relationship is worth it? How to evaluate your relationship? Somebody who's studied this is strategic psychotherapist Bronwin Penn Halligan. Good morning, Bronwin, Thank you for doing this.
Speaker 16: Pleasure happy to be here.
Speaker 2: So how can you tell if the relationship is worth it? You know, do you sort of evaluate by saying, well, I'm happy sixty percent of the time, eighty percent of the time, or I don't know, what do you suggest?
Speaker 16: Look, I think the really fun facts about relationships are that they are very fluid and very dynamic situations. So you know, every single day we're working with a whole bunch of different variables. Right, So kind of putting it into a framework whereby you know, your measuring or testing doesn't really work. We need to go a little bit deeper and start to think about the value sets of what's driving interactions and behaviors and start from that point.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what are the value sets? Can you give me a couple of examples?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 16: Absolutely, so. I think that one of the great places for start is how do I feel around being honest? And by being honest, I mean really truly honestly honest. And is that a safe thing for you to do in the relationship ship? Is it okay for you to give feedback or do you find that you're couching things in a certain way and posturing things in a certain way so as to avoid a conflict. That's typically a good place to start. And then the next piece is more around is the effort in the relationship a mutual things? So are we both initiating contact? Are we both working collectively on resolving conflict, making plans that kind of thing, Because sometimes if you're the person who's doing a lot of the over work holding it together, then you're not really in a partnership. You're more just managing the dynamic.
Speaker 2: I've done just a peculiar thing where one party regards the other quite literally as a good catch, but isn't happy what's going on?
Speaker 12: There.
Speaker 16: Well, I guess the moment's about being a good catch. It kind of comes down to, well, how are we measuring success? What does that look like?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 16: And I guess for some people, you know, being a good catch person might simply be linked to what's available from a financial set or the extensions that they provide in the social life and that kind of thing. So again, it comes down to feeling as I am, I in something that feels equitable and where I feel like a priority or more of just an option.
Speaker 2: But I mean, isn't it a case of if the person ain't doing it for you, they're not really a good catch, even if you're comparing them to you know what the friends have. I've noticed a peculiar thing with males over the years who have been sufficiently wealthy, personable, whatever it takes to get a real beauty, and then when they're out in public, they spend their time denigrating the woman. That's weird, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 16: Yeah, that certainly doesn't sound like an invested and respectful interaction at all there, right, Because I guess you know, it's about thinking around, well, what is the purpose of partnership here? And if it's if what you're or what someone is looking to fulfill is to have essentially someone who looks really nice next to them in photographs. I mean, perhaps you know those value sets and being able to actually create a life together is feeling like less of a priority. Therefore, you know, the relationship would be fairly surface level. I would imagine.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's some kind of odd ego driven thing. I guess, either a self esteem thing or saying hey, look what I can get and it's nothing to me.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, look I think it's it is interesting. I mean, on one hand, to be the person that is, you know, feeling very much empowered and that I get to have my pick of all the flowers, so to speak, versus being the person that does feel like they're a flower that's been selected. Right, Because then what are you? I mean, you're going a wither as you age and perhaps not quite being competition all the time for making sure that you're saying still in good favor.
Speaker 2: As it were, you have a saying here, if it costs you your peace, it's too expensive. What do you mean?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I thought you'd ask about that, Mike. So this isn't more about emotional peace, So that kind that lets you feel safe and steady and like yourself. Like, all relationships have conflict, right, I mean that's part of what makes them challenging and helps us grow. So it doesn't have to be perfect. But if you're feeling like you're walking on eggshells or over explaining yourself, taking guessing your worse, I mean, that's what takes a toll there. And so while the right relationship will challenge you, it shouldn't be eroding you. And that's what you know, that kind of terminology of costing you your peace is what that's really about.
Speaker 2: Okay. I know somebody who told the kids that came with the man in her life when she married him, living with your father was like living within them exploded bomb.
Speaker 16: Oh wow wow? Okay, yeah, that would absolutely be the walking on actual analogy right there, right, waiting for what's going to happen next. And I think that's also what becomes quite difficult and challenging. And you know, when relationships aren't coming from that place of deep connection and that safety that I was talking about, Because if you feel that you can't be your true, honest, transparent, authentic self with your partner, well it's probably time to have a little bit of a think about, well, what else is this relationship costing me or what is this adding to my life?
Speaker 2: By the way, to the very best of my knowledge, there was no violence in the relationship. It was just a feeling kind of an attitude. But one of the difficulties, if I may say, is certainly, speaking from my side of the fence as a male, you have to kind of guess a fair bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Yeah, Look, I think that the behavior patterns that we get into in our relationships, and not just intimate partner ones, but you know, in our friendship group, in our family settings, even in work environments, sometimes we do fall into certain behavior loops. And sometimes some people have, you know, essentially just been going through their lives with an avoidance when it comes to dealing with the hard stuff life, how it feels they don't want to lean into it. Perhaps they've had a couple of experiences with conflicts that have been really problematic, and so they're a little bit burned, so to speak, right, so they run that pattern of not wanting to speak up, not wanting to be clear about what they want or need, and then kind of just feeling a little bit surly or a little bit of kilter most of the time. Hence the I feel like I need to guess or imagine what someone might be thinking, wanting or needing from me here.
Speaker 2: Despite everything in this day and age, in the attitude we've been taking in this conversation, some people do actually manage to stay together for life, don't they.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Absolutely, I mean to share with you, Mike, Literally tomorrow I will be celebrating my twentieth wedding anniversary with my husband.
Speaker 2: Well, great, congratulations, thank you very much.
Speaker 16: In the early forties, I think that's quite the coup, right, So, I mean, there are absolutely ways that you can choose to invest in yourself, choose to invest in your partner, in your relationship to do the work so to speak. Yeah, but it does, yes, and there's a commitment that needs to happen there to be able to make it work.
Speaker 2: Okay, you've got a plan for celebration.
Speaker 16: It will be probably a bit of a nice long, lazy lunch, but other than that'll be a little bit low key.
Speaker 2: I think this year, okay, strikes a chord with me because over the years I've disappointed some ladies who've done something special for me on an anniversary and one said, I put a lot of work into this, you don't seem to be enjoying it. So what can I do but say, Look, I may appear calm on the surface, but inside I'm a boiling vacivious of emosion.
Speaker 5: Look, I think.
Speaker 16: One of the things that we do, and I also encourage a lot of clients to take the opportunity to do this as well, is use the anniversary moments as a chance to pause and reflect on what's working, what needs a little bit more work, or what are the things that we just don't really need to keep doing anymore, I either things that aren't really all that awesome, and then literally dust off the five or ten year plan and see where are we based on where we thought we would be. So, what have we achieved, what are we working on? What are we excited about? It's almost like a bit of a strategy session takes communication. It does, it does, and also that real depth of connection and honesty to be able to be willing to hear the real feedback from your partner and to be able to share it as well in a format and a framework that you know it's coming from a place of love, connection, and wanting to achieve more together.
Speaker 2: Well, congratulations, I think that's terrific and thank you for coming on the program.
Speaker 16: Absolute pleasure.
Speaker 2: Sir Penhalligan is a strategic psychotherapist. Sharon says, lots of emergis here. I've been in a relationship like that. This is further the conversation I just had with Ronlin. Sharon says, I just want a peaceful, honest relationship, someone with guts and faith. Hashtags single, what is the emoji before that? Chris? Oh you're not sure? Okay? I thought you'd know. Okay, you know I turned to you for emojis. I like this, Jerry says Mike, having missed the tragic song. Yeah, we just didn't get to the tragic song, did we? Having missed the tragic song? Feeling excessively happy this morning, Nothing like a good analysis of relationships to correct that.
Speaker 3: Ha ha.
Speaker 2: Yes, human beings, they're a caution, says Jerry from Sutherland. Why are you laughing when you hand me this? Jeffrey from Beverly Hills says, I seem to remember missus Slocum from Are you being served? Being concerned about keeping her pussy warm? Yes, that's right, she was worried about that a lot of the time, wasn't she. They were the days. I mean, I know it was Australian, but that was kind of Pommey humor, wasn't it, The sort of Benny Hill approach or Bennie. He became PC non PC