Speaker 1: Onto GV. This is Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard.
Speaker 2: Wednesday, June eleven, one three one eight seven three. It's Clinton Maynard here broadcasting from the Western Sydney Airport with a special edition of the program. I'm standing inside the terminal. This is the sparkling new terminal that Anthony ALBERNIZI has inspected today. I'm at Gate twenty one A. This is a domestic gait and I'm looking out towards the runway. It's three point seven kilometers long and next year planes will be taking off and landing from this runway. In the background the beautiful blue mountains there in the distance, and this terminal in part is inspired by the blue mountains. It was back in the nineteen eighties the first SOD was actually turned here when Bob Hawk was Prime Minister. Of course, in the decades since there's been so much political toing and throwing. But now it's a reality and from next year this will be in full operation. The airport is spread over the size of thirteen and a half football fields. It is massive and within four years there'll be around two hundred flights. Today twenty three thousand passengers every day throughout the program, I'll give you a taste of what this airport is like and what the future holds. Will also bring you everything else that's happening in Sydney. As usual, Lucy Zelich joins me after four point thirty to stir the pot Mark guy at Talking Sport after five point thirty and will play the quiz towards the end of the show. As always, I need you to be our eyes and ears in Sydney. If it's happening now, let me know about it. Send me a text message zero four zero eight seven three eight seven three our number as always one three one eight seven three. Let's begin the program finding out a little bit more about this amazing airport that you'll be coming to next year. I'm with the CEO and Heke Simon. Congratulations.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 4: It's a great day, a great milestone, not just for me but for the whole team. There's been eleven thousand people that have worked at this airport and it's just tremendous that we're at this point where we're now finished our major works constructions and we can get on with testing the airport and getting ready to welcome our first passengers next year.
Speaker 2: I remember this being an issue back in the nineteen eighties when I was a kid, would there be a Battery's Creek Airport? The Prime Minister made a reference to a sod even being turned when Bob Hawk was PM. It's hard to believe it's actually here now.
Speaker 4: So Barry Unsworth, an expremie arouse, once told me a story that he was there were floods in western Sydney and he was in a helicopter with Bob Hawk and they're flying around and he leans on and says, hey, Bob that there was one dry patch and he said, that's where our new airport's going to go. And of course there was a sod turn, But that means What it actually means is that there's been lots of land use planning around this airport. There's been a lot of thought put into it, and hey, we're getting closer to that day when we open to the public.
Speaker 2: We are standing here in one of the domestic gates. This is Gate twenty one A, and I'm looking out towards magnificent view. Yeah it's the Blue Mountains.
Speaker 5: Isn't this a beautiful view?
Speaker 4: So people are going to love it. I really love airports that engage you with the theater. As you're waiting for your aircraft or you're sitting waiting to board, you can look out and see the theater that's happening out on the airside.
Speaker 5: This has got great big.
Speaker 4: Windows they open up and behind that theater of what's happening directly in front of you with the aircraft, you look across and you see the beautiful blue mountains. It's a beautiful scene.
Speaker 2: Well, it is a lovely winter's day. There's hardly clad in the sky, so but that light is shining it. I mean, it might be better top. It actually puts me in a good mood.
Speaker 4: So what we've looked at, and there's been a lot of analysis on this, it's very stressful when you go through an airport. People are quite stressed. You know, am I going to make the aircraft? Where have I got to go? So what we've done at this airport, what reduces that stress is a couple of things. The first one is lots of natural light, and this airport is full of natural light. We've got highlights throughout. There's lots of natural light. We're looking out at the blue mountains here through three stories of windows all stacked on top of each other here, So that's one thing. Lots of volume of air so that I feel like and I know where I'm going, easy wayfinding, and that's what we've tried to put together at this airport.
Speaker 2: We are used to in Sydney, major projects running a little bit late. What surprises me, I'm going to say, it's a pleasant surprise driving in here and inspecting the terminal today, is the fact that this is complete, essentially more than a year before planes land the takeoff. Why if you needed to do that early.
Speaker 4: So five years ago we determined this was the date that we were going to be compluted. Our major works contracts we're going to be completed. And you know, we've had since then. We've had COVID, we've had floods, we've had bushfires, we've had plagues, we've had price escalations and labor shortages. But what we've done is.
Speaker 5: We've worked collaboratively with everybody.
Speaker 4: Across this who's been working on the airport, and we've really had a bias to action. We've really made sure that this was the safest site that we could possibly have and we've worked and resolved issues as we've gone along. We haven't left them for the end and that stood us in good stead. So I think our contractors are really happy. We're really happy, and we're here where we want it to be.
Speaker 2: Today you've confirmed and our New Zealand's confirmed they will be using this airport as well. That comes on top of Quarters Jets Singapore Airlines. Will there be more airlines in the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're talking to a lot of airlines. So we're talking to over thirty airlines at the moment. In the recent ROUTS conference we met with over thirty airlines.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of interest now building.
Speaker 4: We had to get to this point, you know, where there's much more surety.
Speaker 2: About when we're opening.
Speaker 4: We've got some great airlines on board, and of course we'll keep on talking to airlines. Airlines are really important to make this a vibrant airport, but we're also getting the cargo precinct up.
Speaker 2: It's a twenty four hour day airport, which is different obviously to Mascot. So is does that entice air lines or is that what there's going to be focus on.
Speaker 4: It helps for both those things. So for cargo, that's not just important for the airport, that's important for the surrounding community. It means that Amazon and Australia posts just up there in Kemps Creek can continue to grow. It means that you know there'll be more industrial around us. It means a Bradfield city building right next door to us gets more successful. But also for airlines, it means you can hit their hub banks, you can actually connect more easily, and so there'll be more opportunities for people to travel on many more different airlines to many more greater places as a result of that.
Speaker 2: Just on some of the challenging issues just on aircraft noise, it's always an issue with any airport. Do you have concerns.
Speaker 4: We've always engaged with our community, a surrounding community, and it's really important that we've brought community along with us. So already at the Experience Center, we've had over one hundred thousand visitors that have come to that airport. We've always been open and transparent about what we're doing. We are focused on the noise that we contribute here at the airport, so we've got a lot of things.
Speaker 5: We've got electric.
Speaker 4: Servicing of the aircraft that come off the aerobridges, so you don't have engine noise when you hear we'll work with the airlines to go to single engine taxing.
Speaker 5: We won't let aircraft.
Speaker 4: Will hold them at the gates rather than let them queue up so there's less noise when they take off. So we're doing a lot of things around the airport. There's been a lot of consultation and air Services and the Department of Infrastructure have taken that into account. When they've put those the flight passed again.
Speaker 2: The other big issue simon for Sydney side is the location. For many people, this is a great location, but for a lot of others it's a long way from where they live, whether it's the North, South, the East, even parts of the west. Driving here this morning, it was along Elizabeth Road, which in parts of it it's one lane. I know the M twelve will open, there'll be a metro, but it's going to be a bit of a delay until all that's operating.
Speaker 4: So we're actually quite well connected across all of Sydney. So when the M twelve opens, it connects to THEM seven, So that's a really fundamental front door for us. Them twelve connecting to the M seven means it also connects because the M seven connects to.
Speaker 2: The M four and the M five.
Speaker 4: They're the two major motorways connecting east to west in Sydney. So actually that's a really important connection. That means that you can get to Paramatta or to the CBD without hitting one set of traffic lights. That's a pretty big improvement. And depending on when you can kick get in, you know, that'll be fifty minutes to around about an hour to get into the CBD. So ultimately I think we'll be really well connected. We'll have bus services that are going. We've got plenty of car parks for people to get here. We've already upgraded the Northern Road and that's been used. We're upgrading Elizabeth Drive, we're upgrading Momroe Road. So those things are coming, and that's because this is the lynchpin for making those things happen. And that's not just for the airport, that's for everyone who lives anywhere around this area. Those upgrades are coming, and you know, I think we can be a little patient because we know that on the way.
Speaker 2: So congratulations. Who is truly impressive as somebody, as I mentioned, was a kid in the eighties hearing about this to actually see it now in twenty twenty five ahead of next year. It's fantastic, thanks very much.
Speaker 4: I think everybody is really proud of where we are today, So thank.
Speaker 2: You Western Sydney Airport. So yeah, simon here until six.
Speaker 6: This is Sydney now with Clinton Maynard on two GB call now one.
Speaker 1: Three one eight seven three.
Speaker 2: And I'm getting plenty of feedback already from you about Western City Airport. Now. Chris is making the point of the text line, imagine building a second international airport and only having one runway. We're not very smart as a country. Well, to be fair to them, Chris, they have the plans ready for the second so once the capacity is reached, and it'll probably take a more than a decade for the capacity to reach, at the moment they have the plans to build the second runway. Here, they have the space, the terminal is designed, and at the moment the terminal, the southern wall the terminal can easily be effectively opened up and the terminal itself can be extended. They have the space and the plans to do that, and then they have the location now for a second terminal. So it's very much built to expand into the future and over the coming years. It's going to take some time to ramp up. It'll be about four years until there's say two hundred flights here a day, So there is that capacity for a second airport. We'll talk about the airport throughout the program, but we'll also cover everything else. Is that happening in Sydney this afternoon? If you see something we need to know about, whether it's on the roads, the trains, the ferries, let me know. One three, one eight seveny three is our number. This is Sydney now twenty seven pass through some breaking news out of Canberra. There are some significant changes on the way for the NDIS. Health workers such as physiotherapists, dietitians and peddietrists will have playments reduced in the new financial year. Now this isn't a bid to try to reduce the cost because we know there's been a massive blowout with the NDIS. There's been a review of more than ten million transactions. It's found that many pricing limits for NDS therapies were at a step with market rates, ie they were too much. In some cases, NDS providers were charging fees that were sixty eight percent higher than the private market. So the agency's now confirmed the maximum alley rate for NDOS, physiotherapists with for instance, cut by ten dollars from the first July, so it would reduced to cap. The aim of this is to save money because, as you know, the nd ICE is completely out of control. Now, I want to cross to James Wilson, who's been at this press conference with the police in regards this chase that started in Campbelltown ended in Sydney Airport at Mascot. But during the chase it saw the driver allegedly drive through the car park off the police station. James Wilson with nine News has been at the press comens. Gooday James, today, Clinton, how are you? I'm good, So explain to me what transpired.
Speaker 7: It's a pretty.
Speaker 8: Wild story, so police are claiming it. Around one fifty this morning, there's a driver of a Ford Ranger. His name's Daniel Young. He's forty seven year old from Rose Meadow. He was allegedly high on ice and he was basically on a rampage through the Campbelltown CBD. We've got plenty of CCTV that we've collected today to show him ramming up to thirty businesses, smashing through shopfronts, causing an absolute ruckus plenty of damage. He's then what police have described, followed witnesses back to Campbelltown Police station who were going to report his behavior. He's driven through the car park obviously got the attention of officers, and then from them after smashing up to thirty shop fronts, he's got on a fifty kilometer pursuit to Sydney Airport where he's then smashed through a gate of a restricted area and crashed into a boomgate. Now that's where it all ended for Daniel Young. He was arrested by Highway patrol officers there. But my goodness, Clinton a trail of destruction in his way.
Speaker 2: To say the least, it would have cost businesses. If he's smashed through thirty odd shopfronts, it's going to cost him a hell of a lot of money.
Speaker 9: Of course.
Speaker 8: These are grocery stores, toy shops, lawyer's office and the lawyer's.
Speaker 7: Officers, all sorts of businesses you can imagine.
Speaker 8: Obviously a lot of your listeners from Kempbelltown or have been in the CBT. It's a very diverse, David.
Speaker 7: Plenty of businesses.
Speaker 8: Most of them are independently owned and run as well. He spoke to plenty of those shop owners today whill pretty devdated. Some of them were able to reopen, but at the moment there are just tradees everywhere. O'Brien's Glass is getting an absolute workout. They have to they have to replace so many window panes. Yeah, but a lot of them are hopefully are going to get up and running, but the damage is significant.
Speaker 2: So the man who is in custody at the moment, and he'll be before the courts.
Speaker 8: He has already faced the Downing Center a short time ago. Clinton, he applied to bail that was refused and in court it was mentioned that he was already on bail and a curfew for a prior offense as well.
Speaker 2: Wonderful he's allegedly got.
Speaker 8: Some form, but he'll stay in custody until his next appearance later this month.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jane. We'll see your report on nine News tonight. James Wilson And so, as James's explained here, the bloke who has been charged with this offense, with leading police on the chase, with damaging upwards of thirty shops. The goal is already on bail, allegedly high on iice and through the police car park at Campbelltown Police Station.
Speaker 6: AGAs, Update, upgrade and save with Winston with a wine in twenty five percent of motorized blinds, curtains and dawnings. Book now at Winston dot com dot aus.
Speaker 2: Hey. We got the latest. Good afternoon caty.
Speaker 10: Four, Good afternoon Clinton. As we've just heard around thirty shops have been damaged in Campbelltown, smashed in by a ute which mounted the footpath. Police chase the vehicle down the M five to a restricted section of Sydney Airport where a forty seven year old man allegedly plowed into a boomgate and was arrested. Key Allied Health workers who receive NDIS funding will have their payments slashed in the new financial year. The forty nine billion dollar scheme is seeking to bring down costs. Public hospital patients are waiting an average of three hundred and twenty two days for elective surgeries. Nurses say staff shortages are to blame, and Popstar tailor Swift has been granted a restraining order against a forty five year old man who she claims has been following her for almost a year in Sport Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbons says it stings to see his side's recent drop off in defense. Cronulla has conceded eighty two points in their past two games. Heading into tomorrow nights NRL Derby with the Dragons. Clinton More News at four.
Speaker 2: Think k Katie. Sixteen degrees on the coast, also sixteen in Campbelltown. Tonight is the Strawberry Moon. So the June full moon is known as the Strawberry Moon, and this is going to be at full strength this evening. It is a once in every nineteen year phenomenon and it will see the moon reach its highest possible point in the southern sky. So when you see a big moon tonight, that's what you're looking at. It's the Strawberry Moon. Well, Channel ten's now confirmed. Yes, as we've been speculating over the past couple of weeks, the project is gone and it has been replaced by a new current affairs program. Peter Ford has all the details.
Speaker 11: Good afternoon, Peter, High Love Clinton.
Speaker 7: One of those stories that have been doing the rounds over the last few weeks in the speculation has proved to be not correct. So this is all official and confirmed. And announced by Channel ten. They have announced that ten News Plus is the name of the show ten News Plus, starting at six o'clock on June on its first week of July, and it goes for one hour. And they put out a very glossy pick of the ten presenters and hosts of the show. And there's a couple of old war horses in there to really good talent like Hugh Wimington, we didn't know he would be a part of it, and Angela Bishop and really terrific young talent as well. So look, I hope it goes really well for them. It must be costing a lot of money, a lot of money, you know, five nights a week, the Friday night show is not going to be a best job that had been doing the rounds as well. So that's a lot of content to be churning out, particularly when you've already stipulated that it's going to be an investigatives type of journalism form journalism. It's not going to be so much of the same day turnaround that we're used to on current affairs shows. So good luck to them, And you know, I think I'm going to watch it with a lot of interest. I just worry that the lead up time is very short.
Speaker 2: Look, I know a lot of people involved in this personally, and there's some really good long term experience journalists such as Angela Bishop, Hugh Riminton and some excellent reporters who've done really quality work overseas such as Amelia Base and Denham Hitchcock. So it's put together by Daniel Sutton. He's very well known to Sydney audiences over a long period of time. I think they'll do a really good job. But you're right they would have been spending a fev bit of money on this.
Speaker 7: Well, I would venture to suggest the cost of the show would be the same as they were probably paying for the project, because you've got so many people on the road doing stories and crews and editors, whereas the project itself was actually quite a very cheap show really to get to air, they didn't shoot that many stories on the road, But of course you were paying a huge licensing fee to Row McManus's company to actually provide the show. So that's where the money was going. So now the money redeployed into it in house production.
Speaker 2: The ABC has confirmed the Q and A program is gone.
Speaker 7: Yes, so that was not unexpected. Just before midday today, the release came out to announce that that's gone. They're talking about changing times, finding new ways to interact with the audience, and it is true. You know, clearly things have changed, and certainly in the early days of Twitter, Q and A was one of the first TV shows to really embrace that concept of using it to on air to get reactions to things. So the show won't come back in August as was planned, and look, it's had a long history, I think, unfortunately, not unlike the problem with the project is there was a perception problem that would have become too woke and too left leaning, and conservative voices weren't getting a fair or equal hearing, and that perception I think has probably done with a lot of damage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt. Thank you, Pete. We'll talk tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Thanks Clinton.
Speaker 2: Peter Ford with entertainment used word on the street. Thanks to temper, temper a great night's sleep, night after night. The difference is temper. Michael, You've got a traffic update for us.
Speaker 8: So there's been a car into a pole on Luxid Road just before Carlo Avenue heading towards Rugy Hill Road.
Speaker 2: Son, Yes, you mount Drew it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, when I drove past, the car was smoking about the catch fire.
Speaker 13: People were trying to put it out.
Speaker 12: Looked like he was on the grass. He looked like he was okay.
Speaker 8: But I guarantee you the the car was basically in the right hand lane, so only one lane getting through and traffic will be banked up pretty soon.
Speaker 7: I reckon.
Speaker 2: Hopefully fortunately the drivers out of the car. Hopefully he's okay.
Speaker 12: Yes, yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 13: Yeah, he's out of the car and he looked okay on the ground. So yeah, hopefully they put the car out now, but hopefully that that's going to cause a lot of coming.
Speaker 2: Thanks letting snap obviously, Yeah, thanks thanks letting us know about that. Michael. That's Luxford Road, Mount Drew, so just before Carlisle Avenue. It is southbound. There's been a car on fire, but it looks like the driver is going to be okay. But that's going to cause some traffic delays there.
Speaker 6: If it matters to you, you'll hear it here Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard until six.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I've got a message here from Michael on the text line, why is the cricket not on free to air TV? Tonight. It's on Prime. This is an absolute travesty and I know Spiro touched on it this morning on Ben's program. I think this is a real lesson for sport in the future about how they do deals with major competition. This is the final, the ICC Championship Finals. So what this is and it's a fairly new concept, but it pits against each other the best two cricketing nations in the world and they basically receive points winning matches as over the course of a couple of years and then a final is played, so it's Australia against India and it starts tonight from seven point thirty at Lord's in London. And okay, it doesn't have the history of the Ashes because it's historically this is new, but this should be a really big deal. And the problem is a lot of people don't even realize it's on or like yourself, Michael, you're not going to be able to watch it because it's on a streaming service. And I think there's a real lesson here for sports in the future when they're negotiating their broadcast rights to be really careful of how they sell them, because the reality is the sports need to fund their competitions. They will chase the big dollars of PayTV streaming services. But you risk a sport becoming irrelevant if you sign up to the wrong service. Now, fantastic, if you have Amazon Prime tonight and you like cricket, you're going to be able to watch it. But reality is most people don't have Amazon Prime. Very few of us can afford to subscribe to all the streaming services. You gotta make a choice. That there's about a dozen streaming services now, the high profile ones. We can't have them all. And I think sports are doing themselves a disservice to the administrators if they sell out to some of these services. Now, the hardcore cricket fan may well be able to sign up to Amazon for a month and then cut their subscription. Fine, But for the passing fan, perhaps the non obsessive cricket fan, they won't be bothered, so they won't see the match, the game won't get as much publicity as really it deserves. And I think this is going to be a big issue for sports going forward. And I'd be saying the same thing if we were talking about the most popular streaming service, which is Netflix, or if we were talking about stand which is owned by this company, not entertainment. The days were actually much simpler, where we just if you want a premium sport you ended up subscribing to Foxtel. Yep. Was pretty expensive, but it was sort of simple. You either had what was on free to wear part of the anti siphoning laws, and then if you're real sports not you paid extra for Foxfelt. Now streaming services are a lot cheaper than Fox, absolutely, but because you've got about a dozen services, very few of us subscribe to the lot of them. And I think sports need to be really careful about this in the future because the ICC Championship Final tonight should be getting a lot of coverage, a lot of it's in primetime, oh for goodness sake, But cricket is doing itself out of an audience by having it on Amazon Prime, and same if it was on any of the other streaming services. At least back in the days where it was just Foxdalel, you just knew, well, I'm gonna fork out, I'm a sports lover or four big time for Foxdale. It was sort of simple. Now the world evolves, absolutely, but I think sports administrators need to take a lot of care. When they decide what they're going to do with their broadcast rights in the future. You gotta view on that. Let me know one three one eight seven three. It is Clinton Maino coming to you live from the Western Sydney International Airport. I'm just outside the terminal now, so I'm looking over the runway and so the whole precinct covers about thirteen and a half football fields. Just for some context of the size. Air New Zealand today confirmed there'll be the fourth airline to fly from here and to fly into here, Soli Cortas, Jet Star and Singapore Airlines along with Air New Zealand. The Air New Zealand flights will begin in twenty twenty seven. Now, thank you for your text messages. Thank you for pointing out. No, it is South Africa. The Aussies are playing tonight in the final of the ICC International Tour. I said India. You would thought you would thought India would have made it. You know, the South Africans are playing the Australians. But my point stands. Nevertheless, in fact, it adds to it if this was on free to wear, or if this was on a service that more of us had access to we know a lot more about this competition. One three, one eight seven three What do you think? Mark?
Speaker 9: I totally agree with Clinton stream he says, getting out of hand the price. You know, we have We've got three kids and we share our services and that, but it's getting out of hand. But as I said to the operator Layd that I'm a partner. We were we go to the Pink Test every year, and we were going to go to the three days, and we looked at prices made for for each day per person, looking at two hundred and fifty dollars ahead.
Speaker 2: That's unbelievable and it's a reality of sport. Our sports stars are very well remuterated. We understand why. But I had a look and I'm really fortunate by a yearly annual pass to go and see the Coroninla Sharks, Mark, But I had to look at the price for general admission the other day to go to Shark Park. It's more than forty bucks to stand. So it's not only the streaming services. Some of the entry for these ridiculous Good on your Mark, one three, one eight, seven to three What do you think, Bob.
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 13: Good And I think that when the national team is competing. I'm part of the funding to the ABC. It should be a legislator that the ABC show national teamin you think something good with their funding.
Speaker 2: We do have the anti siphoning laws, which means significant sporting events involving national teams have to be shown on free to wear TV. Now I think the Ashes formed that category, but maybe because the ICC Championship in the final is a fairly new concept, it doesn't apply to that. But I agree with you, and I'm not saying I'm antie streaming. I've got these streaming services as well, but I don't have twelve of them. Very few of us do. Hello, Steve.
Speaker 13: Jay cleaning, How are you mate?
Speaker 2: I'm good, my friend.
Speaker 8: Did you You couldn't watch the soccer US play on TV this morning as well?
Speaker 2: And that was a national game. It was a World Cup qualifier, World.
Speaker 7: Cup player and you couldn't hear it on the radio. Why you were traveling?
Speaker 2: Well, that was what it was like back in the nineteen eighties before we had Fox Sports. I was one of those tragics, so I would stay up until the middle of the night listening to rugby league matches in the UK on Kangaroo toos for instance, when they were playing the club games. Yeah yeah, good on your yeah yeah yeah, And it just meant that there was more access. And you know, we've got to move into the modern well as well. So it's not to say that streaming services is bad. It's great. We can see every single sport under the sun. But you've got to draw the line somewhere. Point made here from one of our listeners. I've actually got a couple of messages. You see that that Amazon Prime's only six ninety one a month, so it's not much and it's a lot cheaper than Foxdell, no question about that. But my point is if you're a cricket tragic, yep, you might not want Amazon Prime for twelve months of the year, so you sign up for just this month. Fantastic. But Cricket Australia and the ICC, who be in control of the broadcast rights, they're doing themselves out of the passing fan. They're doing themselves as accessing the fan who's not obsessed with it. And we'll just go on and I couldn't be bother at handing over my credit card details with that particular service. I'm with Professor David Holme who's the principal with Cox Architecture. The brain's behind this magnificent building, the terminal for the new Western Sydney Airport, which we're standing in at the moment.
Speaker 15: Well, firstly, congratulations, thank you. I'm not sure it's brains. There's lots of emotion in here as well too. We set out to create and craft and experiences that was about the center place of Western Sydney absolutely and Australia, so that when people land or apart from here, they can get that sort of hair on the back of the neck tingle about. You know what an amazing experience. This can be welcome to Australia.
Speaker 2: All of us in Sydney, most of us in Sydney have spent time at Mascot Kingsford Smith. It's an airport that's been with us for generations. So once you walk into this terminal, the feel is just so different.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we wanted to embed it in Western Sydney, to really Western Sydney, which of course we all love Sydney and the great things the harbor, et cetera that comes with that. But this is about different sorts of materials and so the idea really, especially of the soaring ceiling is an idea of walking through a Cumberland forest. And so we we sort of without permission, went onto the Western Sydney Airport site some seven years ago and took some bark and held it up and imagine what light might be coming like through the bark, through the bark as a forest. Just describe that ceiling to me. So the idea is that we're leading natural light in what you'll see when you walk around the terminal as well.
Speaker 16: Too.
Speaker 15: We've let natural light come really deep down into the space, so not just the upper levels, but down into the lower levels. That's not a common thing in airports. Often they get the light is on the upper level only. So we've been able to modify the plan to let that light pierce down deep inside. So hopefully people traveling in and out from Australia to Western Sydney get that first experience.
Speaker 2: This is a beautiful crisp light coming into the terminal. I was standing at the gate slid earlier and you've got the view of the runway pair, but you've also had a view out west all the way to the Blue Mountains. Rrect's correct.
Speaker 15: We think that the architecture of Australia is sort of deeply rooted in landscape, so some metaphors we wanted to achieve were those views to the Blue mountains. The idea at the front here the analogy is the Verandah and the space that's in the middle is called the Great Australian Light sort of no pun intended. So we wanted to embed the building as much as possible whilst there are functional aspects that need to happen. Is that this is a landscape building. It's about being an Australia's great landscape.
Speaker 2: Now talking about a landscape, we are standing next to some beautiful stone.
Speaker 15: Yes, Central Coast quarries here, the tazos you'll see chosen they're from the Nepean River, so the colors here are actually from the local area. And then the idea again of the Cumberland forest we're standing underneath. So those elements are really sort of.
Speaker 2: The core palette. But hopefully what we'll see is the.
Speaker 15: Great Sway, the airline uniforms and the great colors of the multicultural people of Western Sydney coming through and actually adding that day to day.
Speaker 2: Life when you work at a project like this, is it all encompassing or do you juggle other projects and it is all encompassing. This was a true sort of passion of pleasure.
Speaker 15: Our partners, Zahara Did's, were in London, so we had two teams going between London and Sydney as well too, and we wanted that best of best of local, best of international.
Speaker 2: But it's an all encompassing thing.
Speaker 15: So days like today are amazing because it's sort of a sleepless night beforehand, you know, contemplating, you know.
Speaker 2: The sort of the great outcome that we all think it is. We're very proud of it. How does it compare to other major projects you've worked on.
Speaker 15: We're very lucky that we do public projects in Sydney. We've just finished a series of metro projects Sydney Football Stadium, so you know, we're lucky that we get to work on some of these sort of magnificent public buildings and public.
Speaker 2: Life is what we're interested in. So it's right right up there. And I actually commanded it to some people here earlier that much of this actually some of it does remind me of the metro stations, and I think are magnificent because they have a real airport, fresh clean feel about them.
Speaker 15: Yes, well, Victoria Cross is one of my baby's soft there's any similarity between children, maybe maybe that's no coincidence.
Speaker 2: David, congratulations, Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: You want to know what's happening in Sydney.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned to Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on to.
Speaker 2: Gb Professor David Holme, who's the principal of Cox Architecture. He was the main architect behind the airport. Peter's got a good question on the text line, will there be a McDonald's at the new airport well while the terminal building is complete? Rest assured. I did work walk through the food court a little earlier. Now. I do have a policy whenever I travel, not that I'm scared of flying, but I make sure that I have McDonald's in every city that I go to. I have to have McDonald's in every single airport wherever I am around the world in my limited travels. So I did seek out the McDonald's today at the Western Cydny International Airport. It hasn't opened yet, but unreliably informed that it will be opening. It is three to four. The Mount's Care Care flight helicopter has helped those involved with a motorcycling car crash on the Northern Beaches at Belrose today specialist doctor and paramedics treat the young man who unfortunately was involved in this accident. He was then airlifted to the Royal north Shaw Hospital serious but stable condition. But it looks like he's going to be okay. One of the most popular breweries in the Inner West you might know it, Young Henry's, may be in some trouble. There's some fear that it may well be demolished. There is a plan for a six story apartment complex and Young Henry's, and that there've been brewing beers in a Newtown warehouse since about twenty twelve. There's some fear that if this is approved, this six story apartment complex, that Young Henry's would have to find another location. Now that they're pretty popular, aren't they, Young Young Henry people love that crafty is very popular these days. I'm sure they'll find another location, but there's some concern that they won't be able to brew at a Newtown anymore. Well. Katie Perry has just wrapped up her concert series in Sydney. She played again last night the Cutos Bank Arena. It's Sydney Olympic part the third concerts sellout concerts as well well. News today. Now, I don't usually indulge in gossip, but apparently it's very serious. Katie Perry and Orlando Brimm's relationship is on the rocks, so it's hot and cold. Now, I wonder whether this has anything to do with the stage invadive the other night. Now, that was a bloke by the name of Pajama Man. Now, from what I've been told, I'm not a massive Katie Perry fan, but I know people who are. Katie apparently took a bit of a lighting to Pajama Man. Quite impressive. I think he's a social media create of some sort. So I mean, I know Orlando Bloom is a Hollywood star at all. First start in The Lord of the Rings, what twenty five years ago, massive star, and they've got kids and they're very well. They were a loving couple. But the reports now out of Hollywood is apparently the relationship could be in a spot of bother. On the text line, if you'd like to send me a text message zero force zero eight seven three eight seven three. Gregg's making the point that Amazon Prime's Basic package, if you want to see the Cricket Tonight has actually increased in price. It was six ninety nine a month. They're now charging nine to ninety nine a month, which is a lot cheaper than say Foxdell, and you can you can end your subscription. I think after a month. Matt's making the point. Used to get Vight Supercars on Channel ten Channel seven, but now it's virtually all fox Ko exclusive, so you hardly see. I think it's only a couple of rounds per year on seven. Coming up next our Lucy Zelich.
Speaker 1: This is it now we've clinched on.
Speaker 17: To g.
Speaker 2: It is to Mainard broadcasting from the Western Sydney International Airport. Today the terminal has been officially unveiled. They've completed construction and it's quite magnificent. I've spent a fair bit of time in it. Now. I'm overlooking the terminal now from the outside, just near the runway. The runway is three point seven kilometers long. This precinct covers thirteen and a half football fields. The precinct is massive. Now, it's not the biggest terminal in the country. It's roughly the size of Adelaide Airport. But what this does have is capacity for the future. So there is the capacity for a second runway here, there's the capacity for a second terminal here. We'll hear about what Anthony Albernizi has had to say. He attended the unveiling today. But I just want to quickly cross to Mark in Laylor Park. If you see something happening in Sydney, certainly let me know about it. Text messages zero force zero eight seven three eight seven three. Mark, you've seen the CareFlight helicopter in your neighborhood.
Speaker 18: Yes, Clinton landa Darnie Johannan just off Johnson Anue in New seven Hills High and took off again and then briefly landed again in the baseball park just off Northcotte Road. Poll Air was in there also, and apparently some police cars my neighbors came screaming out of that area.
Speaker 2: So just to clarify that, So Mark, just to clarify it actually landed, took off again, but landed for a second time.
Speaker 18: Yeah, that's correct. From New seven Hills High the first time and then briefly in the baseball park just off Northcotte Road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, that's a little unusual. We'll speak to the police now and try to find out what's going on. Thank you for letting me know about that. Word on the street is thanks to temper, a great night's sleep night after night. The difference is temper. Matt is telling me as well. There is a road closed cow pasta road heading eastbound. Some dramas there just near a Densi Road. Okay, so is that around at Densi Park. There are some major delays there. We'll speak with Steve at the moment trying to find out what's happening there. If you do see something around Sydney, let me know. One three one eight seven three until six.
Speaker 6: This is Sydney now with Clinton Maynard on two GB Call now.
Speaker 1: One three one eight seven three.
Speaker 2: Well, the Prime Minister Anthony Abernezi was here at Western Sydney International Airport this morning and he conducted the official unveiling. I should point out the airport has not officially opened. Flights won't be departing and flying into this airport until late next year. Within four years, there'll be roughly two hundred a day, around twenty three thousand passengers, and there'll be a big focus on freight as well, because unlike Mascot, this is going to be a twenty four to seven airport. Anthony Abernesi said today this is symbolic in the confidence the nation has in Western Sydney and Western Sydney is the third biggest economy behind Central Sydney and Melbourne.
Speaker 14: For a long time, this great city has looked towards the harbor as if that is its center. What we know is that the center of population is here in Western Sydney. And what this airport will do not just a runway and a terminal, but the aratropolis which will grow around it with the Bradfield City, is to be a catalyst for economic activity and for Sydney to look out.
Speaker 1: Not just in.
Speaker 2: Now. As I look around the airport precinct, there's not a lot of population right here, but this is where the potential is for growth in Sydney. Bradfield is what the city he will be known as eventually. What is crucial with the transport links to the airport, So the metro line will not open next year when the flights are flying, that's probably another two years away, and it should be pointed out the Metro is not going to run directly to the airport now, which I think is a mistake by the Men's government and the federal compan's involved with funding the Metro as well. The Metro is going to go from here, and I can see the crane to the moment. They're constructing the station here to S Mary's train station. But s Mari's train station is you know, is not a Metro. That's a heavy rail station, and I think there should be a direct Metro line here by road. The M twelve motorway will operate between them seven and this airport. The road's pretty much completed. They're working on the interchange at the moment, so you'll see a lot of rope works here that should be complete not too long after the airport officially opens. For a lot of Sydney side, it's going to take a long time to get here. It will depend where you live. What is going to be crucial is public transport as well. This airport has been on the agenda, believe it or not, since the nineteen forties. Badriz Creek was first identified as the potential location for a second airport. Yes back in the nineteen forties, and this was a big issue right throughout the nineteen eighties and Albo has conceded is still a very controversial location.
Speaker 14: This airport has not been uncontroversial over the years. I spoke about the ne for this airport at this site in.
Speaker 2: My first speech in ninety six.
Speaker 17: And the truth is.
Speaker 14: That a sod was turned on this airport in Bob Hawk's government a long time ago. It was then disrupted with the change of government in nine ninety six and then took some time to turn around the debate.
Speaker 2: That's right. The sod was actually turned in the very early nineteen nineties, towards the end of Bob Hawk being the Prime minister. But it was actually a coalition government that hit the go button in the end about fifteen years ago. Anthony Abernezi has made it very clear that he wants to be the man who's cutting the ribbon.
Speaker 1: In the lead up to May three.
Speaker 14: It was an incentive for my re election, not the only one, it must be said, but an incentive that I thought, how good would it be that something that was very much a passion of mine and which people dismissed as a crazy idea that would never come to fruition, that I would get to open it as Prime minister. So Minister, you're no chance of the opening going forward with respect the CEO, you're less chance I'll be back here and I want a bloody big plark.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister yes that opening will be at some point next year. Dates still to be confirmed. And as the PM says, he wants a bloody big plark.
Speaker 6: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton on.
Speaker 2: T GB thirteen past. Four figures have been released today that shows the number of people waiting for elective surgery, or as the Health miss Rhyme Park calls it. He calls it planned surgery because unless it's cosmetic surgery, most surgery is not something actually want. It's planned you need it. But the number of people waiting has now hit a near peak. It's almost as many as during COVID when elective surgery was paused one hundred thousand, six hundred and seventy eight. The concern for the government, and the bigger concern is for you if you're actually on an elective surgery waiting list. Is the number of people who are waiting longer than recommended. It is now eighty five hundred and eighty seven and that's an increase. Now the Men's government when they came to power that they had a program to put more resources into reducing this number, and today they've announced they'll invest another twenty three million dollars. Well they need to because there's still an enormous amount of pressure. Admission to emergency department has actually fallen three point one percent on the same period are you earlier, So that's actually slightly encouraging. Mind you, we're now heading into the winter period when most of the pressure is actually experienced in emergency. Matt Daily is the new South Wales Health Deputy Secretary and joins us thank you for your time, Matt.
Speaker 11: Yeah, gooday. Clinton.
Speaker 2: Look that these figures as the Health mister has acknowledged today for elective surgery and not great.
Speaker 11: Oh no they're not. And it's certainly not where where we in the Ministry of Health and certainly the government and the Minister right Park want to see them. But I think you really hit the nail on the head with that introduction there, Clinton, is that and that is what really matters, is not whether we have one hundred thousand or ninety thousand patients scheduled to be treated, it's those who are breaching the clinically recommended time, and that's where there's the potential and the risk for less than ideal outcome. So that's why the focus and the report released today from the Bureau of Health Information that's an independent reporting body to health, has highlighted that at the end of that quarter, the March quarter, that we've grown to about seven thousand cases that have breached their recommended time to be treated, and that's what government has responded to and that's what we're working right across the state to address.
Speaker 2: So year on year, it's an increase of one hundred and fifty one percent. It was one hundred and seventy patients year ago for the first quarter up now five and eighty seven. What is the key driver of that increase?
Speaker 11: Unfortunately, like most things in Hellscalene, it's never one thing. If it was only one thing, it'll be a lot easier. It a fix so that the multitude issues, not least of which is a growth in surgical numbers of seventy seven point seven point five percent, so seven and a half percent year on year. We've seen that demand grow and it's also just through the incremental aging of the population. There are seasonality issues that have exacerbated as well. But I think the most pleasing part is that the early data is actually indicating withouts trending down now. But you know, we've we've got quite a few months to go before we actually get it down to those pre pandemic levels that we thought.
Speaker 2: Because as I mentioned when I mentioned just before that when Ryan Park became Health Minister, he created what was called the Surgical Care task Force. There was specifically given the job of addressing this issue. And that task force Matt to my knowledge, is still in existence. Has something gone wrong with it?
Speaker 11: No, the task force actually set a really clear guidance of the system that the system has picked up and carried forward with many of the members of that task force continue in that role. I co share that task force with pros and now Merit, who's an eminent surgeon, and it's about carrying that work on and where we've apart from what's hit us this year with that growth in planned surgery presentations and numbers, it's really been the government responding as they did with one hundred and eighty million dollars announced late last year. That money now is flowing right through the system and we're seeing that about actually turning those figures around. But it's a little bit like steering the Queen Mary. You know, once your set are in place, then there's no stopping it. And I'm really confident working with the system that we've got it actually in inner groove to actually get those numbers to where they should be.
Speaker 2: So the Health Minister today is announced be an extra twenty three million dollars of funding the budgets about to be handed down to reduce the waiting times. So what is actually twenty three million dollars effectively buy you, Well, it's.
Speaker 11: The twenty three million on top of one hundred and eighty million. So we're talking really about a package that will flow through this year and into the new year in a new financial year of two hundred million dollars that will address.
Speaker 2: The social number. Does that pay for instance, we know we're shorter nurses and they've got their own industrial to battle moment, but does that paper nurses over time so you can fit in more elective surgeries?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Again, the solution a multitude of approaches and every hospital has different demographics to do it sometimes and because of the certainty of this money that we've now gone in the system for the next next one to two years. This will enable hospital general managers and directors of nursing to actually recruit perioperative nursing staff, recruit in the point additional surgeons or anestus where a short term funding that had been provided in past in past years really just sees a saw tooth effect of ramping up activity and then ramping it down. Whereas this is a constant flow of money now where people can plan.
Speaker 1: And deliver it.
Speaker 11: At most importantly that the tax barony South Wales at the most efficient price, which is not through premium labor and the like.
Speaker 2: Yep, hopefully it workss of your time, Matte, no please Matt Dailey who's the new South Wales Health Deputy Secretary. He co chairs that task force that's trying to sort out this problem. Look, you know, when it comes down to it, When it comes down to it for you, you probably don't care about these sheer numbers, the fact there's eight and a half thousand people are over due for their surgery. You care about it if it's you or it's your loved ones. Well you tell me, are you on one of these waiting lists? How long have you been waiting for the surgery that you need, not the surgery you want, the surgery that you actually need. How long do you have to wait? Let me know one three, one eight seven to three. Just an update on the CareFlight helicopter, the Mountain's care Care Flight helicopter that landed in Layla Park. It actually landed twice. Thanks for letting us know about that. We've just spoken with New South Wales Ambulance off air. We are told it relates to a mental health issue. That's why the helicopter landed in Laylor Park. Lucy Zilich coming up on the program. She has her own take on the trad wife trend. I must admit I haven't come across the trad wife trend. We're going to talk to Lucy about that. One three, one eight seven three is our number. Shall take your cause as well in the next half hour of the program. Police are still speaking with a twelve year old boy following a fatal stabbing in Broken Hill last week. It was last Thursday. Emergency services were called to a home in Broken Hill in Duff Street very late at night. It was just before midnight. They arrived. They found a thirty six year old man had been stabbed Now, paramedics were on the scene fairly quickly in Broken Hill and they attended to the man, but he couldn't be revived, He couldn't be safety. He died at the scene. Well, police have been investigating since last Thursday. They've now confirmed to us today the twelve year old boy is assisting them with their inquiries. Now I should point out that twelve year old has not been charged and police say that legal advice is still being sought in relation to this matter. The exact detail is actually very unclear in this matter, but what police have confirmed to us is they are speaking with a twelve year old boy. We were talking about streaming services a little earlier and sport, and for instance, tonight's ICC Championship decider between South Africa Australia, being played in London, begins tonight at seven thirty prime time, but many Aussies won't see it because they don't subscribe to Amazon Prime. And I think sporting organizations need to be really careful when they're selling their rights and understand they've got to make a lot of money to pay the players. They need to be careful that they don't lose fans as a result. Grants making the point it was this morning that was ridiculous. I woke up at four fifteen in the morning to watch the Soccer wo's last World Cup qualifier game against Saudi Arabia. I did to find out it was on paramount plus not ten play. So it was on ten for the Japanese game, which was last week. The national soccer team they just made the sixth straight World Cup, which is an amazing achievement for the soccer US not on free to wear now the reason for that would be and this would be the way the eighty siphoning laws work. The match against Japan last week was in Perth. That was in Perth, so because it was on Australian soil it had to be shown on free to wear. But because the match against Saudi Arabia was overseas, didn't have to be on free to wear and as a result, soccer they miss out. They miss out. I am broadcasting live from the Western Sydney International Airport. Now Jetstar will be one of the carriers that operates from here from next year. So the first three carriers Cortas, Jetstar, Singapore Airlines and then Air New Zealand will come on board in twenty twenty seven, and I'll speak with the boss of Air New Zealand in the next hour of the program. But Cortuss today confirm that it's closing down the Singapore based operations of Jetstar so Jetstar Asia. Effectively, they haven't been able to compete with other low cost airlines across Southeast Asia. They have been flying sixteen routes across the region, but they've been losing money. They posted a statutory loss of thirty five million dollars and it means that there'll actually be planes coming back to our fleet. Vanessa Hudson, who's the Quantus CEO, has confirmed the jobs will go, but they will be jobs based in Singapore. Five hundred positions in Singapore will go, but one hundred jobs will be created here, which is some good news to the Australian aviation industry. It's twenty eight past four.
Speaker 6: An easy update, upgrade and save with Winston with a wine, get twenty five percent of motorized blinds, curtains and awnings. Book now at Winston dot com dot aus.
Speaker 2: And Katie Fuller has all the latest.
Speaker 10: Good Afternoon, Clinton, physiotherapists, dietitians and podiatrists will have NDIS payments cut in the next financial year in a bid to bring down costs. The NDIS agency says some providers have been charging significantly more than the market rate. A car has gone up in flames in Sydney's West passes By helped remove the driver and passenger from the vehicle at Bidwell. A man has been fined four thousand dollars after admitting to really stupid behavior when he climbed a cruise ship row in Sydney Harbor. George Frederick Carr pleaded guilty to three offenses over what he called a stunt. Its circular key and three days of Morning has been declared in Austria after ten people were killed in a school shooting in Sport. Bulldog's winger Jacob Carraz has been called into the New South Wales Blues camp for tomorrow's training session. Brian to is battling a hamstring Nigel, putting him in doubt for next week's second State of Origin clash. Clinton More News at five.
Speaker 2: Think Katie, fifteen degrees in the coast, also fifteen degrees here at the Sydney Western Sydney International Airport. Dave's making the point because Albow when he inspected the airport this morning, made it very clear that he wants to be one to cut the ribbon, he said, and to quote him, there'll be a bloody big plaque, let's say, Anthony Albelizi, David says, I was actually led to believe that the granddaughter of Nancy bird Walton was going to open the new airport. Now we are referring to the airport today of the Western Sydney International Airport, but it will be the Nancy bird Walton Airport and officially that will be the title to be used once it's open. Now we'll check that out, but that would make complete sense. Now I'm sure Anthony Albernezi will be at the ceremony, but it would make complete sense for Nancy bird Walton's granddaughter, as the pioneering female aviator, that she would be the one to cut the ribbon.
Speaker 1: On Sydney. Now you can't handle the truth. The straighttion to.
Speaker 2: Lucy's elich is my straight shooter for a Wednesday afternoon back in our Piemont studios. But Lucy, as a resident of the Hills District, this location of the Western Sydney International airport. This is for people in the hills. This may prove to be a great location for the international airport.
Speaker 19: I think it'd be fantastic, to be honest. Do you think about the infrastructure in our city? And good afternoon to Clinton and all of our listeners, by the way, thanks for having me as usual every week. But you think about the infrastructure of our city and how congested it is. I mean to get out of here, out of Piermont where we are here at two gben Now Studios at a five o'clock of any afternoon during the week Monday to Friday, it's absolute chaos and sheer bedlam to make your way over to the airport, say for example, through those particular times. It's so challenging and you have to plan so far ahead. So I think that something like this would actually be so beneficial to the community out.
Speaker 1: In the West.
Speaker 2: I think it certainly will be long term. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a slow start, particularly for passengers. I think cargo will be a really big feature in the early years, because this is a twenty four to seven operation. Unlike Mascot and Look, I traveled from the South this morning. I used the five them seven before moving on to Elizabeth Drive to get here, and the M seven was a bit of a nightmare this morning because of roadworks. But once once the transport infrastructure is working properly, I think it'll be okay by the car. But what I think they're going to need to do, and the pressure should be on the Men's government, but also the Albanezi government is for a direct me tro line. It's great the metro will run between here and some Mary's, but it means that you need to use the heavy rail to some Mariys, which is going to be difficult and it'll put a lot of people off. So I think we needed erect metro route here.
Speaker 17: I think so too.
Speaker 19: And again it just goes back to that point that I've made. The infrastructure in this city is not designed to really meet the demands and the needs of the population that we have here in Sydney. And I mean we're talking about a housing crisis as well. We've got people that require more homes. We're in a situation where you've got politicians like clar O'Neil coming out and declaring themselves as a nimby or an I had to get my head around all of these acronyms as well. I was like, what's a nimby not in my backyard? All this kind of stuff. Yeah, so we absolutely need to think of ways to mobilize ourselves and to meet the demands of the population, but to also allow ourselves to live in a city that is fully functional, that is not a disaster. And not only that, not also the most expensive city in the world too. So there are so many issues beyond the metro that also need addressing.
Speaker 2: Now, Greta Thun has been in the news over the past couple of days and with her visit to the Middle East, and I was intrigued. So I checked that excellent resource known as Wikipedia for a bit of background on Greta and I was shocked. I didn't realize this. I thought she was a kid. She's twenty two, she's twenty one books, actually she is an adult.
Speaker 19: Now, she's twenty two now. But you know what, and I think this is the one thing that when you hear this young girl's name, it triggers such a visceral reaction.
Speaker 1: Clinton.
Speaker 19: I mean, just speaking to people in the office earlier today, they're like, oh god, Greta, you know and to be honest, a lot of us have actually, at her expense, really had a good giggle and chuckle at her extremism, at her alarmism around the climate and all of these situations that she finds herself in, particularly the latest one with her deciding to board this boat, the Meedleine, and try and save what's going on in the Middle East and deliver this aid to the Gaza strip there. As admirable as all of that is, once you actually start digging into the history of Greta and you recognize and this isn't widely known, I know that most people kind of have this surface level view that you know, they understand that she's an autistic child, but she was also somebody that was diagnosed formally with obsessive compulsive disorder. So when she was eleven years old going through school, she was this bright and happy young girl. She loved to play piano, she was very chatty, she loved to learn, like everybody else at school at those times. But she was shown a video on climate change at school and it created a really catastrophic chain of events after that for her because it affected her in such a way that whilst the other students were able to compartmentalize it. She wasn't, so she started losing sleepover it. She was crying, Her mother was constant, father were constantly getting phone calls from the school saying that something wasn't right with her. She started starving herself. Her parents said that it took her at least two to three sometimes four hours just to be able to digest a few pieces of nyoki, and she ended up in a state where because of her starfation levels, that she actually had terrible blood pressure, and it indicated that her blood pulse levels also was showing that she was in starvation mode. So this was a young girl who was deeply affected by all of this. And when you actually look at the photos of her sitting there and being given these sandwiches by the Israeli defense forces, she looks like this young, slight, petite girl with her little bob and her fringe, that's wearing a hat that looks like it's a frog with some eyes and a smiley face on it, and you are reminded of the fact that this is just a young girl that really was given a bum steer. Let's be honest in all of this, right, and I know that we're so reticent as a society to be judgmental when it comes to parenting, But God, forgive me. I do look at her parents and I think, why did you allow this to happen?
Speaker 1: Why did you.
Speaker 19: Encourage a child that is both autistic and has obsessive compulsive disorder to fixate on this belief that the world was going to explode and to affirm that for her. I find that really irrational, and I find that irresponsible. And to then thrust her out into the world and allow her, at fifteen years of age, Clinton to address the UN and to perpetuate this theory that the world was going to blow up. I just find that really quite shocking. So it made me look at her differently when I delved into the history of who she is and how she was raised and what she was exposed to, and knowing also that she's autistic and suffers from OCD, I just I saw this young girl who needed some intervention and to be told, you know what, it's going to be okay.
Speaker 2: I didn't think I'd ever see the day where Lucy Zilich was Maybe this is a bit strong, but a.
Speaker 19: Fan, no, that's definitely too strong. I'm not a fan, but all I'm doing is asking people to kind of reframe the way that they look at this young girl who actually just needs a bit of love and a bit of help. I'm not angry at her as much as I am at the people and the propagandist in the media and politicians who have propped her up.
Speaker 2: Really, if you want to, if you want to give Greta a bit of love, one three, one eight seven three, he's at number It's Straight Shoes with Lucy Zilich for a Wednesday afternoon. I just put across out to Steve in Edmondson. Steve has come across. Well, this is quite intriguing on the Hume Highway. What have you seen, Steve.
Speaker 7: It's just before Picked and someone's either lost their dinner or.
Speaker 3: Because there's a couple.
Speaker 12: Of hessets in the shoulder lane getting corralled by paddy wagon.
Speaker 2: Love it you just dropped out there, Steve, So just to repeat, you said somebody maybe lost their dinner, but there are two live cows on the road.
Speaker 12: Yeah, two live cows on the shoulder lane getting corralled by a paddy wagon.
Speaker 7: So anyone that's coming up to Picked and road if you're slowing down suddenly, just make sure you really really slow down.
Speaker 9: You might not know it.
Speaker 2: They're okay, okay, So which direction of the hum high Way is it? Heading northbound?
Speaker 7: Heading towards Sydney.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right, okay, watch out, yep, watch out, heading towards Sydney northbound Hume Highway. Just before that picked an exit. There are two cows on the shoulder. Thankfully the authorities are there, so they're not going to end up someone's dinner. The cows are going to be okay. Lucy's eelich with me with straight shooters, it's fourteen to five. If you're a customer with Westpac, let me know if you have any problems with their internet services or their app. Just had a message from one of our listeners saying there are some IT issues with Westpac. At the moment. We've checked on our end and we can't see that as a problem at the moment. Westpac hasn't tweeted a problem. We're trying to get in contact with the bank now, but just hearing that there might be some IT issues with Westpac. So if you are a Westpac customer and there are some drummas, just just let us know, so we can just clarify what's going on. Lucy's Zelich is my straight shoot. Beautiful sunset here at the Western Sydney's National Airport. It is the strawberry moon tonight. If you have a lookout to the east, I'm looking at the moon at the moment, very large and round. It's quite beautiful, Lucy.
Speaker 19: I do love a sighting of a full moon. It is supposed to unleash the crazies. Though Clinton allegedly.
Speaker 2: Well, Christy on the text line says, regarding Greta Thunberg, now I feel bad. I've been anti Greta for a while. Now now you've made it feel bad because we're having a Greta love you.
Speaker 19: Now it stops saying it's a love in for goodness sake.
Speaker 2: You love Greta. No, I don't you love it. You don't like a parents you love Greta. No.
Speaker 19: I'm the way I want people to start looking at it now, and the way we should start framing it is. I'm less disturbed and frustrated and annoyed by Greta as what I am by her parents decision to allow a child to genuinely believe that the world was going to blow up and come to an end, and to then push that out into the world. That's irresponsible parenting. Let's call that what it is.
Speaker 2: You'll come well, come to some calls and feedback on this one in the moment. But I just I have a query with you, Lucy. What is a traad wife. I've not heard of the term tradwife.
Speaker 19: Apparently I'm a tradwife because I've decided to push paws on my cur well, apparently that's me because I've decided to push paws on my career. Albeit I do come in here one day a week and have a big winning ah.
Speaker 2: All the rest of it is that traditional, traditional.
Speaker 19: Traditional wife. So you've chosen to take what people understand in society to be a traditional and assume a traditional gender role by being the mother at home and looking after your children while your spouse, your husband goes out to work. Now that is the situation that I'm in at the moment. My husband, who works incredibly hard for my family, sometimes seven days a week, goes out and works whilst I look after our children at home. I do the cooking, I do the cleaning, and I'm very happy to do all of that because I don't recognize it or frame it in a way that is designed as much of society would like to do now, that is designed or intended to be subservient to my husband. It's designed to actually pull my end of the bargain and to do my job at home raising children, which happens to be very important work, Clinton Maynard.
Speaker 2: And this issue has been raised because it's been debated at a school in South Australia.
Speaker 19: It has been and I think it's triggered a lot of ayre and a lot of frustration. Apparently they've received a host of complaints about this because what it's allegedly doing in having this debate about tradwives is that it's apparently taking us back and that it's regressive because we believe that, you know, it's okay for women to be at home to look after their children if that's the choice that they would like to make. And let me be clear, this isn't just a gender issue, right. There are a lot of men now who are also choosing to stay at home because their wives are in certain economic positions within their careers that advances the family cause in much greater terms, and so a lot of the dads are staying at home. But we've become very fixated on this tradwife movement right where it concerns women who have elected to stay at home and bake pies and cookies and spend time with their children. I think the way that we frame parenting now is a problem. I think the way that we frame mothers choosing to stay at home now is a problem because what you're saying is is that you're likening it too. And I've seen it in the Victorian government's budget announcement where they talk about parenting and women in particular being at a disadvantage economically because they choose to stay at home with their kids and they're not getting super and all the rest of it. Let me tell you something, Clinton, in twenty years time, I'm not going to look back at my circumstances now, which by the way, have put us in a situation where we've had to be more conservative financially. But I'm never going to say, Gee, what a disadvantage and an imposition that was on me staying at home with my kids in their formative years.
Speaker 2: And Lucy, it's actually the same for blocks. We had three kids under the age of two, and one of my regrets in those because we had twins and our oldest daughter, Lauren wasn't too at that point. And one of my regrets as a father, and this is just the economic realities of the world, I didn't spend enough time at home in those early years. I think I rectified it in recent times, but I certainly regret that. And the kids don't stay little for long. So even putting aside the economic realities that you don't you need to appreciate those years and that's something that I have some regret with. We're going to come to your feedback next if you'd like to have your say, we'll come to some calls next one three, one, eight seven three Lucy Zilich our straight Shooter on a Wednesday five to five. One of our listeners told us a few moments ago about two cows on the road on the Hume Highway city bound Wilton Pickton Road turn off. Well, we've now confirmed it's a lot more than two cows. There've been fifteen cows on the road. This is on the Hume Highway, so think about how busy the Hume can get around around Wilton. This is the pickt and road turn off. Now we've been assured now that the cattle have been taken away from the road. The police themselves aren't on the scene, but the cattle have been taken away from the road. But honestly, you're driving through Wilton Hume Highway at the moment. Police take some care. Well, you can hear them that they're there. Okaye, when there's there's been no disclaire, no incidence yet. But we don't want to see any of the cattle injured. We don't want to see anyone injured on the road. Okay, Let's get to some calls before we wrap up. Lucy won three one eight seven three on Gretithum the Color Andrew.
Speaker 8: Yeah, go a.
Speaker 3: Greta Well. I I rarely disagree with what Lucy says, because he generally nails it. I'm a totally man made climate change denier.
Speaker 19: Amen, Andrew, Amen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. The climate has always changed, or we'd be in the last Ice age. But anyway, Yeah, Lucy, what she said about good or I've felt for some time I felt a bit sorry for her when she was promoted some years back and did the how dare you and all that stuff and and I thought, well, you know, she's a misguided youth, but she legs in it, and I wasn't going to doubt her for that. But I think everyone has just used her so much since I'm not I don't know about her parents and they going to blame anyone, but so many people have used her news through news to her and put her in situations that to me, I find very unfair.
Speaker 19: Really well said Andrew, And that's sort of the take that I had once I started to do some more digging into who she was and her history and how she came about. Her mother is an interesting character as well. She's quite a well known opera singer as well.
Speaker 2: In I thought she's a model, model, opera singer, superstar.
Speaker 19: Maybe all of those things. See the allure of fame maybe was all too blinding for her and she wanted it for a daughter.
Speaker 2: To Good on you, Andrew Ros. What's her say on trad was? Are you a trad wife?
Speaker 1: Roz?
Speaker 20: I was at one stage Clinton when my kids were young, just like Lucy.
Speaker 19: Good on your ros.
Speaker 20: Yeah, And I think that they're very necessary to all the volunteering work that we may done. And I'm sure there's a lot of that missing now that you know women are having to work, most of them to support their families, and I think it's very sad, and.
Speaker 19: I do too, ros And the way I see it is, you know, one of the greatest lies ever sold and told was that you know that women, we could have it all. We could have the amazing career, and we could be these amazing mothers. I tried it for a little bit before the pandemic hit and I had to go back to work. My husband was out of a contract and retiring professional football from professional football, and I felt like I was doing a bad job at home and at work because I wanted to be this incredible mother, but I felt like I wasn't present enough. But I also equally wanted to be the most committed employee that I was before my children arrived. And hats off to those women that don't feel that guilt, that are able to feel as though they can do both quite comfortably. But from my perspective, you know, I really wanted to be at home for my children, and when the choice came down to it, they were the most important thing for me.
Speaker 2: Good on your rose. Think if your message, Adam has just actually sent me a message and says there's actually been in regards to the situation with the cows. Seriously, a truck has actually been on its side. So we'll just seek some clerk further clarification from the police off air. But this is a situation that's still unfolding Hume Highway. It's in Wilton. There's been as many as fifteen cows in the road, and it would appear that the truck carrying those cows has been involved in some sort of accident that it's ended up on its side and the cows have actually got out of the truck. Our understanding is that the cows have now been off the road, moved off the road. So the situation at the moment is it's okay. If you're driving through Wilton Hume Highway northbound, just near the Picton Road exit, all should be okay. We've run out of time.
Speaker 19: Thank you, Lucy, Thank you so much, Clinton and our lovely listeners. Looking forward to doing it all again next week.
Speaker 2: Lucy is Zelig our straight shooter. She is back with you every Wednesday afternoon. Coming up in the next hour, Mark Guy, He's gonna have his say on streaming services.
Speaker 1: This is sitting now with Clean on TGB.
Speaker 2: I'm broadcasting live from Sydney's Western Sydney International Airport. The official unveiling today some breaking news from La. Now it's now very late at night in LA, just after midnight, and curfew is now in place across the city. A fourth Australian media worker has now been injured involved in covering this event. Some confirmation now has just come through that a Channel nine cameraman has been struck in the league by a ricocheting rubber bullet, So not directly as our reporter Lauren to Marsi was, but he has been struck in a ricochet rubber bullet. Nine says they're assessing the situation. They're taking into account the growing number of similar incidents involving journalists in LA before making a decision on what they do going forward. We brought you some news just before our news Borden about cows on the road Hume Highway northbound through Wilton. So it's just before the Pickton Road turn off. Now many as fifteen cows have actually been on the road because there's been an accent involving a truck that ended up on its side. Now we understand nobody has been seriously injured in this, the cows, and I don't want to make light of it, because it could have been really serious situation if a car had to hit one of these cows. The cows that we moved to the side of the road. The cows are all okay, but has been as many as fifteen of them. The Transport Management people are on the scene there at the moment. So this is northbound Hume Highway. When you're driving through Wilton, can be very busy road, particularly at this time of the day, people heading back to Sydney as well. Just the Pickton Road turn off, so you'll notice a bit of a kerfuffle there. The cows, they're on the side of the road. Now hopefully the farmer can find them and take them to their home. They're going to be okay, and thankfully the traffic is all right. We had some reports a little earlier potentially some it issues with Westpac that may have been affecting their back end or their website and their app. We've just spoken with Westpac off air. Good news is things are okay with Westpac at the moment nine past five. I'm broadcasting. As I mentioned, live from Sydney's new Western Sydney International Airport and the sun is now going down across Sydney's West. I'm looking now over towards the new terminal which was unvalived by the Prime Minister Anthony Albernezi today and it is quite a remarkable facility and that's been the benefit of being able to develop this and design it from the ground up. But when you think about this, we were talking about this in the eighties. In fact, this land was first identified as a location for a second airport in the nineteen forties, and then in the nineteen eighties the decision was made there would be an airport here. The first sod was actually turned in the early nineteen nineties. Bob Hawk was still the Prime Minister in the dying days of his leadership, but of course nothing happened and there was political toing and throwing for decades before a coalition government actually fifteen years ago finally made the decision. Toney Abott would have been the Prime Minister, finally made the decision to go ahead with his facility. Now lanes are not yet operating here and they will be next year, probably within four years. There will be around two hundred planes a day that will fly in and out of here, around twenty three thousand passengers a day. I think initially you will find that cargo will be a really big part of this operation because unlike Mascot, this will operate twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. The Prime Minister today has said that that every action has been taken to protect as many people from airport noise, and far fewer people will be impacted by aircraft noise than they would be from Mascot Airport. And over time you will see more services, more and more services leave here. Initially there are four airlines who've committed to operating from here, Quotas, Jetstar, Air New Zealand and Singapore Hours.
Speaker 1: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney.
Speaker 2: Now with Clinton on to GB I'm with Greg Faran, who's the CEO of Air New Zealand. You've made a massive announcement today you will be flying in and out of Western City Airport.
Speaker 21: We will and we're excited about it.
Speaker 2: What a great airport twenty twenty seven, so it's not far away. How significant will the operation be here?
Speaker 21: Well, we see it as an and you know, we've got our busiest port at the moment in Kingsford Smith and we're flying in there five times a day. We want to grow the business across the Tasman. As I said, it's the busiest place. Seven hundred thousand Kiwis live in Australia, so being able to grow the business and fly here into Western Sydney is going to be great. I know the area well. You know, I spent fifteen years living here in Sydney, so I know how many people will find it really accessible to be able to get in here and get into Western Sydney and probably for some of them even go north.
Speaker 2: We Sydney started a joke about Bondi being the second home for Kigwe's in Sydney, but to be honest, it's actually Western Sydney. Where's massive population in Western Sydney from New Zealand.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 21: Look, I would say to you that from my time here, this Kiwi's all over all over Sydney. We have a close relation ship and you know, I think this is just an excellent gateway.
Speaker 2: You're the fourth airline to jump on board. Why was it important for you to be quick?
Speaker 21: Well, As I said, we see this as a and you know Sydney is operating Kingsford Smith pretty much at capacity. We want to grow the business. There are more and more people wanting to fly here and so this gives us an opportunity to do exactly that, which is to grow.
Speaker 2: What do you make of the terminal that we're standing in at the moment? I really like it.
Speaker 21: And the reason I like it is that it has all the features that you would expect in an airport terminal. It's here to move passengers. So they've thought about it from a customer first angle, and that's the benefit of being green fields.
Speaker 2: You can do that.
Speaker 21: So I'm not walking into a shopping center. I'm not walking into something which isn't an airport. This is about getting customers from point A to point B efficiently effectively, and it shows up in everything that I've seen.
Speaker 2: And Greg just finally, how is the airline traveling at the moment?
Speaker 21: Yeah, Look, we're really starting to come out of our shell.
Speaker 5: Basically.
Speaker 21: You know, we've had all the challenges that everyone's seen sort of COVID and then post COVID restarting, we've had to deal with getting some aircraft and we've had our share of engine issues, not of our doing, but it's just what it is. What we're seeing now is some real momentum. We're announcing some new routes. We're announcing even more in the next couple of weeks, and I'm excited about what.
Speaker 2: The future holds your airline. And they've had your challenges like most airlines have, but from a service perspective, you've still had a very good reputation around the world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we focus on that.
Speaker 21: We see that as being key our people, our culture. We spend a lot of time around recruitment and training and doing what's right for our customers and our team and that's something that we hold center in front of mind every day.
Speaker 2: Well, congratulations on becoming the fourth airline on to Cornus Jet start in Singapore.
Speaker 21: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Fourteen past five, the New South Wales Bureau of Crime, Statistics and Research has released figures today that show an upward trend in three major categories of crime over the past two years. Domestic violence related that assaults have increased by three point six percent, sexual assault reports have increased by six point four percent, and particularly in Sydney, up by almost ten percent. Now these are reports. This jumped out at me today when I looked at these figures as well, shoplifting retail theft incidents have climbed by four point three percent. I wonder why is it because of the tough economic times. Jackie Fitzgerald is from the Crime Stats and Research Bureau and joins us. Thank you for your time, Jackie.
Speaker 17: Hi, there Clinton.
Speaker 2: The issues concerning domestic violence and sexual assault obviously very important, but I could just ask you firstly about about retail theft. What have you found here?
Speaker 22: Look, I think you do automatically think, don't you, Clinton, that it is a cost of living pressures that are driving people to shoplift and steal those life necessities. But actually when you do look further into that increase in that offense, what we can see something quite different. So really the increase is being driven by increase in the theft of alcohol, and particularly your kind of top shelf liquor is really the most desirable. So your bourbon and your vodka and the like, and those are the things that are about a quarter of shoplifting that comes to police attention is in that category. And we can see that the increases are really driving and really driving up in terms of shoplifting at bottle shops.
Speaker 2: That's I mean, that's interesting, that's the case, because you wouldn't think, yes, we're all going through tough times that you wouldn't think it's the whiskey in the bourbon that we jump at first when we're doing it tough.
Speaker 22: Not really, I mean, I mean those other very expensive goods, and of course you know, a desirable absolutely, but you wouldn't really put it in the licensees category. I mean, I can understand that people might be finding it hard to afford those items, but it's not in the groceries or the baby formula that category. We're really looking at a desirable rather than a necessity.
Speaker 2: Jackie might not have looked at the research at this depth. But is there an indication perhaps there could be a black market that's growing for that style of liquor, that that organized crime could be behind it.
Speaker 22: Look I suspect Clinton that the volumes that you can steal in the shoplifting incident probably don't really lend themselves to that. We can see that there's been in terms of the offenders, we have seen an increase in charges against adult males, which is consistent with the liquor theft of liquor, but also an increase in theft by shoplifting by the teenage girls, so girls under eighteen also stealing, also also stealing liquor, and interestingly, we haven't seen corresponding increase in teen boys charged with shoplifting. So it's really quite an interesting scenario where we've got increases amongst adult males and young girls in terms of their participation in shoplifting. So it's you know, it's it's unexpected, I have to say.
Speaker 2: But this is the other point that jumps out at me about this where it is a little confusing, and I'm not going to stereotype people here, but from a socioeconomic perspective, where the spike appears to be occurring is in what you would term to be middle class areas, places like or Sydney, the sutherland Shire Hornsby.
Speaker 22: That's right, and those areas do have low rates of crime. So you know, when we look at the map of the state or even Sydney, those aren't the high crime areas. So Sutherlands in the West, North, Sydney, Hornsby, they're all relatively low in crime. But we have seen this uptick in retail theft, particularly in those communities, and it's you know, it's unusual, it's something that we haven't seen previously, and I would definitely have to keep an eye on it. But it's you know, I think there's probably more to it than meets the eye.
Speaker 2: I have to say, I've been trigging to find out what really that is in the long run, Jackie, Well, I've got you there that the other two categories are very serious offenses, domestic violence and sexual assault. There's been a lot of attention paid quite rightly in the last couple of years on domestic violence. The increase in those categories, would that be because more people feel comfortable coming forward.
Speaker 22: Look, I think we can say for sure in the field of sexual assault that more people are coming forward, and we suspect that's also the case with domestic violence. So with sexual assault in particular, as you say, we've had a really heated public conversation about consent and particularly high profile sexual violence issues coming to the public discussion over the last ten years or so. And in response to that, we've had specific initiatives by new sal police that have made it easier to report sexual assaults. So we know that victims of sexual self often get a tough time in the criminal justice system, and police have made it available to report sexual violence through an online portal from twenty twenty three and that's proved very very popular with the victims. So now about one in four sexual assault reports come through that avenue and about half of the increase over the past ten years is due to online reports. We've also got more mandatory reports coming into the police attention to sexual violence, and we know also we've had spikes in reports when there has been a topical issue on the sexual violence space, so it is very sensitive to that public discussion and more people coming forward in response to that.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the information. Thank you, Jackie.
Speaker 22: Thanks so Matt's Clenton Jackie.
Speaker 2: Fitzgerald, who's the executive director of the New South Wales Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research. Mean that really jumped out of me that there's been this big spike in shoplifting, but particularly with alcohol. Alcohol makes up twenty five percent of all cases of shoplifting and as Jackie pointed out, there they are finding this big spike with teenage girls in particular, more teenage girls are getting caught stealing grog than boys, and it's in areas like the Inner West, sutherland Shire, the North Shore. Now Blair's just sent me a message if you'd like to have your say zero four six, zero eight seven three out seven three. I travel a lot for business. I've seen a great deal of bottle shops around the country with full time security now standing out in front. Well, this proves the statistics, Blair, This proves it's actually necessary an.
Speaker 6: Eas update, upgrade and saved with Winston with a wine twenty five percent of motorized blinds, curtains and dawnings.
Speaker 1: Book now at Winston.
Speaker 2: Dot com aues.
Speaker 10: And with all the latest caty four Good afternoon, Clinton. A nine news cameraman has been hit in the leg with a ricocheting rubber bullet while covering protests in Los Angeles. He's among dozens of media workers who have been injured, including four Australians. A sixteen year old boy is facing charges relating to the fire bombing of a Sydney barbershop. The blaze at Marylins didn't cause much damage, but security vision showed a hooded figure accidentally catching a light. The Israeli government will meet next week to decide its response to sanctions on two far right ministers. Australia has joined four other countries to sanction Itamar, Bengibee and Bezalel Smotrich and multiple cows have been spotted on the side of the Hume Highway south of Sydney. It's understood the cattle escaped from a truck which was caught in a crash in Sport. A trio of Wallaby including Joseph Swale, has posed for photos with lions at Taronga Zoo. It's all part of the build up to be upcoming tour by the British and Irish Lions Clinton More News at six.
Speaker 2: Thank you Katie. From today, small businesses that have been affected by the floods in the Mid North Coast and also in the Hunter Valley can formally apply for the twenty five thousand dollars that is being made available through a combination of the state government and the federal government. Applications are being received and can be lodged from residents and businesses in twenty eight local government areas. And this also concerns people who've been affected by tropical Cyclone Alfred. We spoke to Guss and Beck who have an oyster farm just on the outskirts of Tarre last week on the program, and they're trying to get their life back together. And after we witness the damage of what they've been through, it's hard to see how twenty five thousand dollars is going to go far. They will be grateful for that five thousand dollars is available immediately, and they'll need to and this will apply to all those small businesses. They'll need to provide receipts for the expenditure for the rest running twenty thousand dollars. And that's necessary by the governments because they found drink covid. So many people were ripping the governments off when it came to grants. But the difficulty for many of these businesses is they don't then have the twenty thousand dollars or can't access the credit quickly to then buy what they actually need.
Speaker 1: Finance Update.
Speaker 2: Deb Night hosting Money US from seven o'clock tonight. Hello, Deb, Hello to you Clinton.
Speaker 17: It's very timely that you are at the airport today because we're talking a lot about the aviation sector on Money News tonight.
Speaker 2: Yes, certainly so. Quattas Jetstar Singapore Airlines and Air New Zealand will be the first four carriers to operate out of here. And Jetstar Asia though is being wound up.
Speaker 17: Yeah, and look, it's a long time coming because it's a Singapore based arm of Quantus. It was the brainchild of the former CEO, Alan Joyce. It only turned a profit in the last six of the twenty years that it was operating, so it was a financial drag on the rest of the operation and as of the end of July it will no longer be operating any flights. It will be shut down. Five hundred jobs unfortunately will be lost, but the planes and the resources will be redeployed across the rest of Quantus's operations here in Australia, so long term it's a wise move for the airline to be taking. There's also news to do with Rex today possibly making a comeback, and also with more coming through with Virgin and the IPO, so lots to cover in the aviation sector. On nonni news tonight, it.
Speaker 2: Would be great if for X to make a comeback. But look, you and I have been following these issues for decades now. It just seems to me that a strong third carrier seems to be impossible in this market. I remember the day's a compass.
Speaker 17: Yeah, well exactly, Anset too. You know, we've had so many failures in aviation, and you're right, we don't have a big population base, but we need to ensure that those regional towns and centers are serviced by an airline, and the governments been propping Rex up. Whether or not a buyer can be found, though, is what really needs to be answered.
Speaker 2: There have been some small gains on the stock market today.
Speaker 17: Yeah, still a record A win's a win, will take it. The O s X two hundred came roaring out of the block. Some of those gains were paired back slightly. It ended up closing zero point one percent or five points higher, and again another record high. And the Aussie dollar it's fallen back a little bit, It's still held onto most of its recent gains. It's currently buying just over sixty five years cents.
Speaker 2: Now. Tesla is being sued in France.
Speaker 17: Yeah, how about this oo La La? So the Tesla owners. You might have seen the stickers on the back of Tesla's where people have been unhappy with the actions of the owner, billionaire Elon Musk saying the stickers I bought this Tesla before Elon went crazy. Well, the French are taking it a step further. Some of the owners of Tesla's who have long term contracts and leases want to get out of those leases and they are suing Tesla, saying that it's been linked to the brand with the far right because of Elon Musk's actions supporting far right political parties in Germany. So it will be fascinating to see if this does succeed in the courts, whether or not it sets a precedent for the damage that can be done from brands when their owners go a bit awry.
Speaker 2: I thought maybe they might all be back on board now, the lefty testy Tesla drivers because Elon's falling out with Donald.
Speaker 17: Yeah, no, not happy. Many of the Tesla owners still yes his actions and if they can't get out of their leases, they want to sue him to ensure the courts can allow them.
Speaker 11: To do it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, dev We'll be listening from seven o'clock.
Speaker 17: Thanks Clinton.
Speaker 2: Deb Night with money used tonight from.
Speaker 1: Seven on Sydney. Now.
Speaker 6: A weather update will be here to help in unexpected weather. NRIMA Insurance a Health Company.
Speaker 2: Fourteen degrees in the city at the moment, twelve degrees in the Western suburbs. It should remain dry this evening. The forecast for tomorrow partly cloudy. There is the chance of some frost in the west in the morning. Most likely be quite frosty here at the Western Sydney's National Airport. Medium chance of showers along the coastal fringe atop of seventeen degrees Friday at this stage is the chance of some Shower's quite a high chance of showers up to seventy percent. Sixteen percent the top for Friday at this stage on the weekend, seventeen degrees on Saturday, with a shower or two, but partly cloudy for most of the day. Partly cloudy, but it should be dry on Sunday with eighteen Let's talk sport with mg Hello Mark Guy, Hello Clinton.
Speaker 5: How's it out there at the new airport?
Speaker 2: My friend, It's very dark here now, but it is wonderful. This will be a twenty four hour day airport now. As a legend of the Western Suburbs, in effectively, you're the mayor of Penrith. How do you feel about how do you feel about the airport being twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 16: Oh, look, I think it's fantastic for the local economy. I know that house prices have gone through the roof if you have a house in the western suburbs of Sydney at the moment, I know the skyrocketing. It's pretty hard for young kids to get a deposit on a house these days day. But look, I think it's good.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 5: That depends on where the flight paths are.
Speaker 16: I suppose if they stay away from the more densely populated areas, I think they won't have too much drama. But I just think the whole Western Sydney, the Battery's Creek Airport is so good for the western suburb of Sydney.
Speaker 5: It's going to put us right on the map.
Speaker 16: And no longer we have to travel an hour an hour and a half to get to the airport to fly overseas or fly domestically.
Speaker 5: We've got it right in our own backyard.
Speaker 2: Rugby League news Manly Seagulls for Josh Alloy could be forced into retirement.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul Bugger.
Speaker 16: He's had a shoulder complaint Clinton now and he's another blow. He's about round ninety heard his shold I think against the Broncos, but now looks like he might have to have a medical retirement or a premature retirement. He's only twenty nine years of age, so that's a big blow for the Seagulls. Tucky Oahu's out at the moment with no sorry Passaca is out at the moment with an achilles injury as well.
Speaker 5: So mainly have some trouble with their big boys at the minute.
Speaker 2: Now, Young Josh he was the bloke, wasn't he that used to play for the Tigers and he had a bit of an ugly extra from the Tigers. And then he didn't he put a meme out on social media mowing lawns or something.
Speaker 5: Yes he did, Yes he did. That's the same one. So he's a bit of a character, a bit of a character. He is a character.
Speaker 16: And you never like to see Arabia League player or any any sportsperson for that matter, retiring because of an injury. And this is as a bad shot injury for him. But in some good news, the Dragons have locked in their dummy half Jacob Little with a three year extension. The Red Vee have already got Damien cooked there until at the end of twenty six and that's when they think that young little who was I've said he's only twenty I think twenty seven years of age.
Speaker 5: He'll go straight into.
Speaker 16: That role and he'll be their hooker because he's been come up with a bench of la and he's been really good for the Dragons.
Speaker 5: So I'm good to see him rewarded with an extension.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Jacob Karraz that the Bulldog's wing has been called to the new south West squad.
Speaker 16: Well, yes, look, there's always an injury cloud over someone or some team in origin. This time it's Penrith Brian Tot who says all they saying that he's got some hamstring tightness. He'll be rested from training in the Blue Mountains until the weekend. So yeah, Jacob Carraz has been brought in and in a big tick as well because Laurie Daly is boarding a young guy called Thomas Jenkins. If you don't know Thomas Jenkins, he's a winger for Penrith. He scored three tries on the weekend. Yeah, he's been bored in the camp as an extra training body to help the Blues prepared. So what a dream come true for young they call him Milkie. He's Milkie buddy.
Speaker 2: I heard the backstory about Milky on the weekend and so he played with the Knights last year. Was a fringe player son.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he come from he's.
Speaker 16: Penrith junior who came from down south Birawong I think somewhere like there and he come up to Penrith, played with Penrith, then with the Newcastle try and play first grade. I think he played one or two first grade games and that was it. This year he went to some Mary's feed the club four Penrith or junior rugby league club that's right next to Penroth, played train there. Ivan Cleary apparently heard how good he was training and brought him straight up to Penrith. So he's been a fantastic signing for the Panthers this year. The second coming of the Milkman has been fantastic and it couldn't have happened to a better Blake.
Speaker 5: He's a great character of the game and I love the way he plays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, post rugid league, it's important that rugby league players you build a career post rgy league, easy looking to become a milkman.
Speaker 16: Milkman, remember I remember remember the day when we I don't know if I'm showing my age here, but you hear the milkman coming, you put like you put four or five bucks under the milk, and you hear the railing of the rattling of the bottles, and you go the milkman's come, let's go and get the fresh milk out from the front.
Speaker 5: The front yard was not anymore. You just go down to the local showing center.
Speaker 2: I know we're going off topic here a little bit, MG, but I think when I was a kid, when I was a really young kid, I think we may have had a bread man too.
Speaker 5: Yes, we did.
Speaker 2: The baker who would deliver the bread baker, Yeah, Heathcake. There was a breadman who came under the streets to heath Cake.
Speaker 16: Well, I'm fifty six, so that was right up my own. We also used to have a soft drink man who crystals, who would bring around created crates of lemonade and coke and fanna and drop him off by the crate.
Speaker 2: The crate four and this one's before our time. You used to have an ice box man, so before they had refrigerators.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: Now, John Stanley used to tell me about this when John Stanley was eat be in the street and people would knock on the house in the Inner West with the ice box because John didn't have a fridge.
Speaker 16: I remember the something I did the other night. For the first time in a long time. I was sitting there at home and we heard I heard the dingling l the ice cream man. I jumped the car, went to to whippy. Now these days they saw him in the boxes. They don't sell them like the ice creams. I said, can I get a drumstick? You gotta buy twelve point?
Speaker 3: What I so?
Speaker 5: I bought twelve? Yeah, I did.
Speaker 2: You just said, Look I spoke about this little leader in the program. I think the icy C, the international gathering body for cricket, has done it so for real disservice, Yes, by selling their rights to Amazon Prime. I completely get that we need to fund top level sport, but I think a lot of people are going to miss out seeing this final between Australia and South Africa.
Speaker 16: Is not You wouldn't even know it's on. To be honest, this is one of the you know, this is one of the biggest test matches of the year. South Africa have come from nowhere to play Australia, who are always one of the favorites.
Speaker 5: To make this final.
Speaker 16: India obviously the other favorites along with England, but South Africa have had a really good test series, may mind you against lesser teams than an Australia place, but still they find themselves in the final. But you wouldn't know it's on. It's on tonight at seven thirty on Amazon Prime. And if you don't have that, you can't watch it. I've I thought to myself today and you were going to speak about this. I've got Foxtel, I've got Stan yep, I've got Disney Plus, I've got Paramount, I've got Prime, Amazon, I've got this new one called Max I mean, and I'm wondering where all my money's starting to go. It's in subscriptions. At the moment, I've got eight subscriptions to different things.
Speaker 2: We've got Netflix yep, We've got Stand and I should football disclosure. I actually don't pay for Stand because of the company that I work for. We have Disney because my wife and the kids they like to watch all those Marvel movies and they used to watch all the Star Wars stuff. The point is that it doesn't matter if it's Netflix, stand whatever it is. You've got to draw the line somewhere. You can't subscribe to them all. And I just think it. And I understand that sports need to do their best financially, but long term, I think they may be shooting themselves in the foot. What happens, particularly with primary.
Speaker 16: Whatever is ruberly goes a Netflix are something like they're being rumored to be having Well, what if that happens, then all the grassroots people who love this sport it can't afford a next Netflix account.
Speaker 2: The argument is, there is an argument because the subscription services you can come and go pretty much as you please, which you know, great. But if you're just a passing fan, if you're a casual fan of cricket, you're not going to just subscribe to Amazon forit tonight. But if you were a casual fan and it was on free to where it can be anything. It doesn't have to be our network, any of the networks. It's on it seven thirty tonight, it's on primetime, you might tune in and go, oh wow, this is good.
Speaker 5: I agree, I agree, buddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just before you run, yep, I know you've brought your socks in the day. I'm not in the studios because I'm out here at the airport. You've been handing out socks at work. I have well.
Speaker 16: I first started wearing them in and someone asked me what they were, No gym socks, And fourteen people now wear the gym socks at the at the station here every Wednesday, I come in and there's a new order. Yes, and the beautiful producer out there, Lucky here behind the Liam here behind the panel. All the guys out the front, look at them, all got the hands up. Yeah, I know you all got socks. Yeah, okay, white ones, black ones? What color you want?
Speaker 2: Clinton, you give me some white ones before, which I very much appreciate.
Speaker 5: You play tennis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wear well, I wear pickleball. I wear black. I wear black socks to work, and pickleball's good. And when I had to change my shoes a couple of weeks ago, my producer was Emily was quite alarmed when I changed my shoes. She noticed my black socks. She's a little bit concerned about the state of my black sox. There are a few holes in the.
Speaker 5: Listen.
Speaker 16: I heard you talking earlier about potholes and stuff. Go to the Northern Road, turn left and then get on to bring Jelly Road and you'll take you to the your beautiful place where you live?
Speaker 5: Where is it? Where do you live at?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 5: Sure? That's where I come home last night from Shark Park.
Speaker 16: So tonight while Wall of Sports, we're talking to myself and Adam Hawes talking to Hudson Young deep in Origin Camp find out the latest on Brian to.
Speaker 2: Good on your MG MG coming up tonight with Hawsey World with a sports. Just want to quickly cross out to Rob with the traffic drama on the north side. Hello Rob?
Speaker 20: Hello, Ma, how you going?
Speaker 2: Where are you mate?
Speaker 12: Hello? I'm just north down in Wurunga on the Pacific Highway.
Speaker 2: Okay, what have you found there?
Speaker 12: I'm about two hundred meters short of the crash, but it's there's a lot of movement up there. Three I can see three fieries and an ambulance and a couple of police. But I haven't moved for twenty five minutes now. But I'm a bit jealous of MG song.
Speaker 2: We'll send you some. We'll send you some. MG doesn't know, but we're about to send you some Okay, stay on the line there, we'll get all your details. We're going to send you out some MG socks. He doesn't know about that, but that's our price for this afternoon. So it's northbound Pacific Highway. Please be careful there. It's very, very slow. There are some firees in the area. If you'd like to play the quiz one three one eight seven three, I've got a one hundred dollars vouch to give away to the Bankstown's Sports Club Bankstownsports dot Com one three one eight seven three.
Speaker 1: Im to expose your minds? Do you maybe again your questioning.
Speaker 2: Sydney now estus questions as.
Speaker 5: Questions important to pay attention.
Speaker 6: I know how say if you aren't answer a question right, Clinton's Quick Quiz.
Speaker 2: I have a one hundred dollars vouch to give away for Bankstown Sports Club. You can have a great dinner at Bankstown Sports Banksdownsports dot com. We have two contestants, Rick and Wendy. Wendy, you are first this evening, My friend, Hello, Hello, how are you? Your thirty second starts now what Superman? What superhero wears a red and blue and shoots webs?
Speaker 20: Superman?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: What do you call a group of cows. I heard, correct, which country was David Bowie born in.
Speaker 22: The UK?
Speaker 2: I'll give you that England. What is the name of the main villain in Peter Pan?
Speaker 22: Go for it, Ah, Captain Hawk?
Speaker 2: Correct, you're on for Okay, Rick your turn? Rick, your thirty second starts. Now, You've got to be four. Which musical is based on the songs of Abba? That hard? Rick? Anything Glue musical? It's Mum and mea. I'll give you that Surfing Usa good Vibrations a song by what band past Beach Boys? Who was Australia's first female prime minister? Yeah, I reckon you can do it? Rick, because they won it starts with Julian with Gillard. Good on your Rick. You didn't win today, Wendy. Congratulations. We're going to send you out a one hundred voucher thanks to Bankstown Sports. Go to their website check out the menu for the bistro Bankstownsports dot com.
Speaker 6: And now a preview of what's coming up on Wide World of Sports for the Serrato successor, the turbo charged Kia K four kias on new small sedan GT line very unavailable. Now find out more about Kia's latest small car.
Speaker 2: An MG with Wilder Sports coming up next after the years. They're talking to Hudson Young from the New South Wales State of Origin camp. We've had a great time here at the Western Sydney's National Airport. Think if you're a company, we'll do it all again tomorrow. That's Sydney now,