Speaker 1: Hallo team and welcome in for what is a massive episode that between two posts, the British and Irish lives have landed in Australia.
Speaker 2: Here they are here, come.
Speaker 1: On and to talk about what's to come for the next six weeks. What happened on the week in the Subbrubby Pacific GF Morgan Turnui, Matt Bergman, Welcome. How good it's like Christmas in late June? The twelve year wait is over?
Speaker 3: If Christmas goes for a month? Can't wait? Did we turn a couple away at Customs and Border Control? Surely they are surely we checked their papers.
Speaker 4: Do you remember I'm going to throw it back to remember when Eddie Jones came with England and they searched his bags for an hour beforehand before he came out.
Speaker 2: I hope they can him just a little bit of niggle on the way through as well. Massive squad coming down game over the weekend. We'll have a look at it a bit later. But so excited.
Speaker 4: We've been talking about this for years from a spectators level and the anticipation of the amount of people that are going to come down.
Speaker 2: I'm so pumped for this.
Speaker 3: That's the thing to it even now. You'll see they are going to be mobbed by people everywhere they go. They'll be kids outside their hotel. They'll be sixty five year old you know, Welsh grandfathers who are acting like kids as well. Just start struck by the British and Irish lines being on home soil here in Australia for us. And you know, I think anyone who's got some Irish heritage or English heritage, that that accent gets a little bit stronger the next month. It's an exciting times.
Speaker 1: Generaldy is it's a mini World Cup in terms of the energy and atmosphere that we're going to have over the next period of time.
Speaker 5: Like that's what we're talking here. It's going to be that up for the next six weeks. It's insane.
Speaker 4: An old school tour, like just game after game after game after game leading to three test matches. And that's how that's how we used to play it back in the day.
Speaker 2: Did you do the old.
Speaker 3: School tour a few Oh, you have the midweek a game.
Speaker 4: The midwik a game, and then you have to back up. If you're playing on the weekend, your.
Speaker 3: Bench backs up on the test match on the week. The good thing is you couldn't get flogged too much by the coaches because we're playing all the time that we did.
Speaker 2: Greg Smith as a coach, Yes.
Speaker 5: It's going to be huge. What are we thinking for game one?
Speaker 1: I mean we're going to go in a bit more detail a bit later around how many lines fans will be on deck at Optus on Saturday night.
Speaker 5: Big turnout, We'll huge because.
Speaker 3: There's already lots of expats in Perth. Big expat spot it is in Perth, and so that's going to be the big thing too, is just being aware how much support the lines receive. So there's a lot of responsibility on us and all Australians to get on board quickly because otherwise the two thousand and one lesson of Test one, where where Australia feels like you're away from home, will be another lesson that leeds to we learned.
Speaker 2: And it's that red jersey, isn't it.
Speaker 4: There's that iconic red jersey that people chasing, people support and you're right if you've got if you've got a little bit of heritage there, the jersey will come out and people will support and it won't be the band playing at four thirty in the morning, just be cheering away like when we used to have.
Speaker 2: It on overseas tours. It'll just be. It'll be applause and hang outside you talk.
Speaker 5: World.
Speaker 3: Can't remember we're in Leon for that Wallaby's Whales game. Yes, and that was there was no sleep night before the game. It was well singing all the way through the night in Santraville in Leon. It's going to be like that all over Australia. And we're going to have a look at the course of that Argentina lines game. In a moment you mentioned the Red Jerseys. Have a look at all of the jerseys in the crowd. They just want to be in the colors of their team.
Speaker 1: No sleep till Home Bush should be the patch cry for the next six weeks.
Speaker 5: No sleep still Home Bush Men.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about their first up loss against Argentina a little later in the show.
Speaker 5: We're going to start with a Super Rugby Final.
Speaker 1: Thank you to the Chiefs and Chris Adders for putting together another thrilling Super Rugby.
Speaker 5: Final as well.
Speaker 1: Boys tied at the end, just the one score separating for two sides Morgues, but it's the Red and Black.
Speaker 5: To get it done again against them. Well are we thinking except.
Speaker 3: For Atka except yeah, yeah, I read a broken clock is right twice a day.
Speaker 2: I read something.
Speaker 4: I read something saying if in doubt, you know, picked the Crusaders.
Speaker 2: They were. They did their job, They worked the tactics of the Chiefs out.
Speaker 4: They snuck over for that Cody Taylor try and on the left hand side was just a bit of sort of fortune down the side there Reversrahana kicked his goal, kicked that conversion, which is really important. From that, From that, Cody Trailer try control the game pretty well, but they I think.
Speaker 2: The Chiefs handed it to them.
Speaker 4: At the same time, they were Yeah, that's exactly right. There were some moments in this game where they just they lost the understanding of how to play and how to create territory and possession as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was interesting. You've exactly hit the nail on the head there, Burkie, that the Crusaders were able to make the Chiefs play the game they wanted to play. Chiefs need speed in the game, And if you sat through and watch that with us on the weekend, you just saw that the Chiefs really struggled to impose themselves on the match and impose their style of play on the match. The amount of pressure put on Damian McKenzie was immense and that worked well for the Crusaders. I think five or six scrum penalties to the Crusaders and they won the aerial battle and that's how they won the title. Nothing is actually almost the opposite of what we saw in Super Rugby this year with the amount of tries and expensive play. The last couple of weeks of Super Rugby was sudden death rugby, maybe a lesson for the Test rugby to come. Crusaders played finals footy once again better than anyone else.
Speaker 4: How important is it also to kick your goals like you know, I know that's tough, but you've got to be able to knock them over like you know, and you hadn't had to kick for a while.
Speaker 2: But you've got to convert, you've got to.
Speaker 4: Put your threes on, you've got to put your five to sevens and you know, when it comes down to it, and you're right, I reckon this will be a big part of it in this Test series that's coming up as well.
Speaker 1: They had such a good op tunity early in that second half, they charged Tubo VI charges down hope them, they scoop it up.
Speaker 5: They not five from the line, You go, how are they not going to score here?
Speaker 1: And somehow the Crusaders scrambled turn them away, I think even when a penalty not long after that, and that was basically it. So what did the Crusaders do well across the back end of that game to snuff out any hope of the Chiefs winning that title?
Speaker 4: For me, it was the double box kick near the end of the game when they went territory territory they got it. I think it was Mackenzie took the ball in on the on the first catch. He then there was a box kick again, and it was just creating territory, like you just you just know that you have to be down that end of the field, not down that in the field because there's a chance to kick a goal. So it was just I think they played a bit smarter, if that's if that's the simple way of looking at it.
Speaker 2: They got around the park a.
Speaker 4: Little bit better, there were some good kicking options that they did with Rayhannah.
Speaker 2: And they just played a little bit better.
Speaker 4: Even even Jordan at the back was able to just sort of punch a couple sliding deck in a wet ground, just make it difficult ball hit.
Speaker 2: The ground a fair but at the time just puts pressure on fullbacks.
Speaker 5: How big is Will Jordan and why is he so good?
Speaker 3: I think there's a couple of He's quick, buck, he's fast, right, and he's also able to maintain that speed while changing direction, swerves and steps and maintains power and speed through contact. So you've got to get all of him when you're tackling. He doesn't look physically imposing on some of the other big back three players we have, but the amount of force he's able to put through contact because he's such a balance runner and he does the basics right, and he does the basics right time and time again. His kick receipt and organization of back three, coupled with his attacking kick chase and aerial battle, I think that was a huge part of the reason they win this game. That's a turnover. If the Chiefs get it middle of the park, they can try and get some of that speed into the game that we talked about playoff unstructured play, which they want to, but he took that away from them, and there's a little bit of a cause effect from what Burkey is saying. McKenzie misses a goal to get the Chiefs in front, it's a different game. If the Crusaders are chasing the game, they're not able to do what they did there. So the Crusaders are able to play like front runners, and the Chiefs the onus was on them. Okay, we'll kick the ball to you. Chiefs, what are you going to do? You're going to run it back eighty or you're going to give the ball back to Will Jordan to make you play again.
Speaker 4: There's that proactive in reactive kicking, isn't there? And I think the Chiefs were reacting to the situation having to sort of put pressure on themselves to.
Speaker 2: Be able to get out of territory.
Speaker 4: Crusaders were able just to ping the corners and it was a game of chess out there, and they were playing it much better.
Speaker 1: James I kind of comes on and it's checkmate in favor of the Crusaders at the back end. What about him after all those many years of super Robi booting eight. I'm pretty sure it was ahead of his test taboo in Padaua in Italy with quite alongside. I think we're going back to our eight. I mean, what a journey.
Speaker 5: It's speaking for him, it's twenty twenty five, now, what.
Speaker 4: A journey, and sneaking left hand side with about a minute and a half to play, he got his hand on the ball and sort of you know, contributed a bit in that final. But I think his contribution throughout the year has been great. You know, he spoke about his role has been the experienced player when we spoke him the other week about sort of you know, the brains trust of being able to sort of you know, coordinate chat going back and forth and really throwing it up and being abracive. I suppose you could say, as you mentioned, but he's just got some he's just got some calmness about him. He's got some maturity about him. I think that's that's one of the one of the great things that obviously the Crusader saw in.
Speaker 5: Him in that chat with him.
Speaker 1: Did it come up what happened in terms where he was going to live in christ Church when he lobbed there. Did that come up? I'm sure we mind me sharing the story. So we had him as part of our coverage last year throughout the Spring tour, come in what game it was? He was in here with us, but it was awesome having Jock on deck. And he was just going through that process and moving over to christ Church and had found a place that he and his partner wanted us stay in. And they had the manager who was helping him and facility hating it. And he said, we found a place and they said, oh, yeah, okay, but we've got some other spots. And he said that okay, but we kind of really want this spot, and sort of goes back and forth a couple of times, and and then eventually the Crusaders kind of gently say.
Speaker 5: We don't stay in that spot. That's not what we're about. That's not what we're about.
Speaker 1: We're all in these pockets of suburbs around christ Church so that we have that sense of family togetherness. Your partner will be able to hang out with Rivers's girlfriend as an example, you know, just an example, Sev's family down the road there, and so they're they're pocketed and they're tight knit in that way shape and form off field as well, which I found fascinating. He goes, oh, okay, sweet, of course, I'll go where you want me to so he's made it work over there really nicely.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's a part of I look at newsath last you're a ram mckway when Northern Beach as a way, you've got Cronulla, everyone's sort of probably too far apart. So you could see why that that cohesion is a part of it as well.
Speaker 3: And we said with the Brumbisi and Hamburg as well, that sort of stuff just geographically to get a lot. Yeah, but the brave decision from James Oconna could have looked overseas again, gone and tried to earn some money at the back end. But I was a guy who still wanted to improve, still wanted to learn. He would have learned so much this season, as we discussed with him last week. But he into the final and then ends up being a champion. He was their closer. He was coming at the end, manage the team around the park, her crew points when needed. He did it really well. He was a crucial part of their title win from the season.
Speaker 5: What about Rob Penny. Rob Penny just be smiling into it.
Speaker 1: They were ninth last year, they finished ninth and now a bit of cattle back and away we go. Mertz was quick to remind us all believe Metz was very quick.
Speaker 3: He was very chirky on what's happening.
Speaker 1: The Crusader's account blessed him as well. When they saw that we posted.
Speaker 5: Chief Chief Chief Chief Chief Chief and at.
Speaker 1: COO's gone Crusaders. The Crusaders wrote up, Michael is our favorite presenter anyway. I was like, it's good, good on you guys. So the Chiefs suffer a third straight Grand Final loss.
Speaker 5: What for them now with CLATMMT and moving on coach leaving might be tricky.
Speaker 3: They'll still be there and thereabouts. They're the same. They look at their list, what's the lessons they learned from this season? Really, they probably paid the price for not hosting the final that's the big one, that Week one finals against the Blues. I think they will rue that, But in terms of their play and their game, it's it's probably what's our plan be going to be in a match like that. You know, the physical nature of that game is very similar to the loss of the Blues, which was a fortnight before. So there's two teams that were able to stifle them, were able to beat them when it counted, So there's you know, they'll come top two or three next year they'll be thereabouts. They've got the cattle, of course, can they learn the lesson of scrum, breakdown and territory how that final was won?
Speaker 4: A new coach come in then more God ask you this is your domain? Does he come in and change up everything? Or is it a Chiefs wave of playing because the coach wanted to get their fingerprints.
Speaker 3: All right, you're not coming in and taking over them. That won the spoon, so you don't need to change everything. I think it's a great team to come into because it would have been tough to come in up of just winning the camp. So if you're the new coach, you come in, you go okay, this is what we need to do to take the next that We are not rebuilding a pyramid here, yep, we are just putting the capstone on top.
Speaker 1: Next up, fellas for a lot of those men that were on display on the weekend will be the all backs up against France. Five debutantes in Scott Robinson squad. I'll quickly give those too, Oline Norris, Brodie mcalsro out of the Chiefs, Fabian Hole and the big boy from the hiwnas our man, Timothy taba taba. Now I get a spot and finally do per see carey fear.
Speaker 5: Our favorite Hurry Kane gets a shot as well.
Speaker 1: So they've got France coming up through June.
Speaker 5: You know what we've got through the end of June.
Speaker 1: I'm talking this weekend and July and the rest that'll be the British and Irish lines who went down on the weekend to Argentina. Now, the last time these two sides met was ahead of the two thousand and five tour of New Zealand where it was a twenty five all draw.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure it took some Wilkins and magic late to draw it.
Speaker 1: However, going to this game, it's in Dublin, Argentina are missing nine of their best.
Speaker 5: You're thinking Puma is going to get pounded here.
Speaker 1: The algorithm had them is eighteen point underdogs and then explain to the good people at home what happens fellas.
Speaker 4: More you use some of that well when you talk about the four the four countries coming together and you've got to find that cohesion, and that's what it was.
Speaker 2: It was just clunky on the weekend.
Speaker 4: You know, there was a there was miss reads, there was holes down the middle when they were running. You know, you talk about effort areas at the same time, it was just sort of you know, wrong shape, wrong time, wrong position, wrong time, wrong place, wrong time, and well, don't take anything away from Argentina, eve though I thought they played outstanding rugby, but it was a case of I think that clunkiness was basically that the ability to play in a game at high tempo for the first for the first time, and they got shown up there. I mean this one, I wrack around the corner, the forwards didn't roll around the corner too much. There's a poor read from the from the wing of their freemen, and they're just some good feet to finish with. Vader Mrva gets turned inside out there by the winger and try time, so all of a sudden, yeah, there's pressure out there as well.
Speaker 2: I mean to look at that crowd as well.
Speaker 5: The finish was their pick.
Speaker 3: So those couple of tries completely sum up almost what you'd expect from this year. You maybe thought the lines might have enough firepower, maybe up front the score some more tries, couple of breakout tries from individual bruins, but this was always going to be what that perform is going to look like a couple of really poor defensive decisions which are completely understandable and will not be there by the time they play the Wallabies. That's the big one. They'll be gone. That won't be there. That Freeman bites on No. One, Smith's late and van der Merber was over there. So if they don't get cooked there, they cooked the other side as well. They're just there's four good venda Merber has. How many times is he defended with Marcus Smith in the backfield?
Speaker 5: Rarely?
Speaker 3: Right, they're going to have every field session they have, they're going to be better, more understanding. I would have thought six to nine changes to the Test team when it comes in a different nine and ten starting for absolute certainty. Right, So this is one, it's one of let's start with. It's one of the great victories in the history of Argentinian rugby, right up there with their World Cup semifinals, their wins over New Zealand and New Zealand being the British and Irish Lions. PHELI play contempomi, your team, your staff, congratulations, that's pretty cool, right, But if you're the Lions, do you there's some positivity in the content, lots to refine around defense. Their line out needs a lot of work, lots and bits and pieces around the way they played. But they had some adventurous stuff they did in attack with which once they get more time together, we'll be poping now, Burkie. The big one is we saw Gatland's lines go to South Africa and play zero rugby. Right, just try and be in that fight. Nearly won the series. There was a tight series, right could have gone either way. This line's team on the weekend played more rugby than any Lions team since about two thousand and one. Are they going to stick with that? Should they stick with that? And if they do, does it make them more vulnerable or should they go scrum territory more points.
Speaker 2: Stay a UK focused top. You see Marcus Smith at one stage there ball goes through, grab a kick through.
Speaker 4: He did the dummy show and go on the line and he's done that at Harlequin's and he goes one hundred. Basically Argentina won't have anything of it. And he got absolutely iced over the try line and he tried to keep gay. It's a really it's a great debate because that track the other day was pure afternoon evening game.
Speaker 2: It was slick.
Speaker 4: It didn't seem like there was too much sort of you know, humidity up there with you. And that's what they're going to have to deal with in Australia as well nighttime. A bit of humidity. The ball is going to be difficult to play. Do they then revert back to that ten men.
Speaker 2: Rugby time number? I don't think they will. I think they'll play.
Speaker 4: I think they've got the back line to be able to play, knowing that they can muscle their way up front. You know their scrum and line that's going to be good. But I reckon they'll be able to play with a bit of width.
Speaker 1: As well on the counter attack. Argentina, how does Alborn was his try right on half time? Is this ended up being the sort of moment that set them on the path to, as you say, Molls, one of, if not their greatest ever victory.
Speaker 5: You thought, look, okay, this is cool.
Speaker 1: Staff stuns only maybe Lions will score a try. Maybe they're going to Then they get loose inside the twenty two and then Argentina go okay, let's play.
Speaker 3: But look at that clump of jerseys and look at them breakout like that that is that is one of the great points of difference to Argentina and Rugby, the counter punish ability, the unstructured ability, the catch pass qualities as absolutely outstanding. That's that's just something you're going to see from Argentina a lot all the way through to r C.
Speaker 4: Well, don't you don't you love the ability to pick a line and choose a line and support play and you've got you've got inside outside options there and when you're when you're frantic in defense in.
Speaker 2: Marcus Smith, the head was rocking backwards. Point It's come back to me.
Speaker 4: When you got when you got players going inside outside and you got options there, the game becomes so easy.
Speaker 2: I reckon, I reckon.
Speaker 4: The permise showed more energy than the lines over the wee again, I thought they. I thought there was on occasion there that were just sort of just lacking.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 4: And and if you if there's only so many moments in games when you've got a chance Morgs and you've you've been in that test arena and you know it. There's there's two or three opportunities and you've got to take it.
Speaker 2: If you don't, you're full part.
Speaker 3: I'm interested to wonder what the training load has been like, because you say they were out enthus maybe they've trained through that match. They've gone, you know what, this match is part of our pre but we're going to train all the way through to get as much work into ourselves as we can. We have a little glimpse a couple of times of the mall and how good it's going to be. This one ends up being a penalty try. There's probably a couple of infringements there before the one that gives away the penalty try and make sure that was collapsing the mall. But you know that's going to be part of it, isn't it. There's going to be their ability to shift the ball like Ireland, to change the picture and shift. But there'll still be a core base game of if the Wallabies are ill disciplined or the Super Rugby province is real disciplined. Then there's a line out India twenty two and there's a moll coming, then.
Speaker 5: The boomback rail comes on.
Speaker 3: Pollick, Yeah, Burkie running on.
Speaker 2: That was it was just the.
Speaker 4: Crowd ready to go and he saw the camera there that's right, I'm on the big screen and here we go.
Speaker 2: Great. Look, it is a part of.
Speaker 4: The modern world, isn't it, Like you know, just the hype up of younger players and understanding. So again this is all out of my show real. At the same time, the problem was you've got to be able to back it up, and he got He got brushed for their for their try. Curry came up really quickly on the on the charge. They probably didn't need to that. They had Argentina under pressure and he just got a nice little friend off. Yes, I was like, and we can do his chase?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he wasn't chasing quick enough. How do you think Aussie fans will respond to this? Will they embrace it? The Oussie fans know who Pollock is.
Speaker 3: They will after this. Well, he's going to be good in the midweek games. I'm not sure you'll be a Test team. Look mate, you be you kid like, go for it and then you know what, back it up. It's going to be good. He's been picked on the potential that's coming. He's going to be a gun international footballer. He's not quite there yet. He'll get so much out of this tour. He'll get some rugby in the midweek game. Justus training fans. I think he might be a little bit of villain to him. I might, you know, there might be some jeering in that, but you're going to see a good football.
Speaker 1: Ozsi fans don't really get stuck in like they are in the North or other parts of the world today.
Speaker 5: He got his cat, you go.
Speaker 3: It's just gonna be funny watching Scottish, Irish and Wealth fans cheering for him.
Speaker 5: That's the best thing.
Speaker 3: That's the Lions, that's the that's the lines, but grudgingly cheering each other, it's going to be great.
Speaker 1: What's what caught your eye between forty nine thirty five fifty twenty five on the match clock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a little bit of the thing we've been talking about is just what the Lions are trying to do in attack. It's it's adventurous and it needs refining. That's sort of the theme with our chat. But they're going to want to get into those three mans shapes. They're going to want their tens out the back super connected. But they also wanted to bounce back a few times if they don't get carried. See that sweep sweep stack play. So they have four players together. They want to sweep left and then they want to just get into it. Like you'll see Island do have players appear in the eye line of defenses later, and anytime they did they sort of had a negative or neutral carry. They look to bounce back. But there's that's quite adventurous off a sideline going pull back, pull back, get to width. Now I think the Wallabies will try and climb into that shape, but there's the rich reward on both sides. You want to take on a thin rustle out the back there, you want to take on a two below to if he moves into twelves, I expect you will. There's danger for the Wallabies going in and getting that. But if you don't try and get off your line and try and disrupt it, then they can outflank you. So I think that's a little hint of how much work the lines still have to do. But how potent that attack can be with some of the cattle there.
Speaker 2: How do the wall they stop that? In defense?
Speaker 4: They do they rush defense because we've seen we're sending that outside. In defense when they've got some depth on it, you can be caught in no man's land with that ball over the top there. So do they give, do they wait or that do they rush and try and shut down.
Speaker 3: I think the big thing is going to be how quick the rock ball is. If it's slow rockball leading into that and the lines brave enough to still try and go out the back, then the Wallabies can tee off and go through it. But if they have good positive carries from their forward pack, you can't blitz that. So what you really want is on that three man shape that the short line that goes at the back of that defender's got to push off and get in that. That's where that's where the break in the system can be. If someone turns their hips and shoulders in, that's where they'll get you. And a fin Russell coming around the corner is going to be dangerous. And a matc Hansen or a Low or someone off a wing who's such a hard worker they're in and around that space. They're not going to go around the Wallabies, They're going to go through them. If you don't get that right, so so much is going to be the mcwrights and Tazanos and guys like that breakdown stopping the speed of racket.
Speaker 1: Sauce Bern was too quick off the pass of Williams to put them in front. So that kind of had everyone at the Aviva.
Speaker 5: Going as a lovely great line, great line, great.
Speaker 4: Look at the hand, thought me, I mean, but the awareness for the two players inside not to have a crab at that ball when that try line is beckoning.
Speaker 2: That was a fantastic play.
Speaker 1: They're they're not often seeing double faceball, yeah, triple faceball past two to one three, triple faceball not often seen. And then the match winning try to Santiago Cordero.
Speaker 3: So this is a macrom just because of what it meant. It is the decisive score of the match. And they're in defensive mode. They're in hold on mode here Argentina, but they wanted to go a field occupation. He beats a couple. Then the grubber is absolutely outstanding as well, and get the bounce and don't underestimate the bounce and put down here with the despairing Marcus Smith, an historic moment in the history of Argentina.
Speaker 5: I was hoping you'd give us.
Speaker 2: I can I just ask one thing more?
Speaker 4: Can M could they've made this try a little bit easier, like an inside pass now and going straight they've gone outside.
Speaker 2: They chose obviously they.
Speaker 5: Way. That's not the way.
Speaker 2: It's good finish.
Speaker 3: You don't get bottles of champagne from the easy.
Speaker 1: Such a good finish, such a good score, such a good game of footing. Before we move on to the next little bit, I've had an idea. What's it all right, our man, James Dolman. I thought you did a really good job the other.
Speaker 5: Night in that match.
Speaker 1: I thought he was underne at times. I'm not going against you.
Speaker 3: Did you not see the knock on the try? Which one took them ten minutes to work it out? Which one the early try?
Speaker 2: First try?
Speaker 5: Listen?
Speaker 1: Listen now, fellas, this is what we need to get in placed for the au n Z game and then for the three test matches.
Speaker 5: We'll use that as a trial game.
Speaker 1: There is nothing what I see in life that being given something and then haven't taken away from you. If you're a Lions fan, try awarded and then they go about eight phases try taken away?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: We all agree on that.
Speaker 1: We also hate having the game blown up for an incident that's taken place six phases earlier. Then none of us know what's going on. The answer to this is simple from a broadcast perspective and from a TMO option as well. All we do from now on is if the TMO is reviewing something live, going back and forth potential foul play, we pop up the little ticker on the screen that says TMO reviewing play potential foul play number one lines.
Speaker 5: So at least we know that if a try is scored.
Speaker 1: You might get it taken off you you know, ahead of time, then it might be stripped back, and then if it's clear, TMO clears play and on we go. Otherwise, we have incidents on the other night where Dolman is stopping the game because the TMO is getting involved when he shouldn't have been, because you've got wrong a couple of times, and then we all go, what's happening here?
Speaker 5: Do you want to thought?
Speaker 2: You want that in the big screen, big screen and.
Speaker 5: On Channel nine and on the big screen as well.
Speaker 3: Like a tone like you're having the league now with the six again.
Speaker 1: The broadcasters do that so well, didn't meeting something upper pops ticker? Oh shit, we might have this try taken office because Morgan took old mate's head off.
Speaker 5: Six phases back.
Speaker 1: But at least then you know what's happening and you're part of the process.
Speaker 5: Do you know what I mean? You're across what's going on there?
Speaker 3: No, the massive issue?
Speaker 5: What's the issue?
Speaker 3: Logic? Too much logic?
Speaker 1: Can we get it in? Can we get it happening? That's not a hard thing to do. That was Brumby's war at the same Thank you very much, TMO reviewing play potential knock on good audition.
Speaker 3: Do you want to bring it up in January?
Speaker 5: Say again, I just the French team at least then you know what's happened.
Speaker 3: I don't think you're getting it for lines too?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 5: Well? Why not?
Speaker 3: Because things move at the glacial pace.
Speaker 5: It's not that hard mate.
Speaker 1: All it is is you've already got an open line from team owner, director and the truck basically, so all it is is a t he goes, he just goes a hammer just on a look, haven't got control?
Speaker 5: And then away you go like that.
Speaker 3: It's not easy that all you need is okay from referees lines and.
Speaker 1: Makes total sense, doesn't it? Broadcast from a fan perspective.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I can see that. Send it to someone. It's a good idea. It's a good it is because but it's good. It takes away that they're not knowing.
Speaker 5: Okay, not knowing.
Speaker 3: So when I try scored and you think that's happening, are you going to go big on the try or you're going to subdue?
Speaker 1: You have to go to go because it's probably going to get scrapped right likely it's going to get taken off.
Speaker 3: Because there's been some big like try commentaries and replays. They're going to go back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you got to go.
Speaker 3: You've got to go, stay with it.
Speaker 1: You've got to go interesting, Okay to go.
Speaker 5: So Lions lose that game.
Speaker 1: Does it change anything? Does it Does it change? Does it change the likelihood of a Wallabys win or I mean it doesn't.
Speaker 3: It makes it. It makes probably slowly more dangerous because they're not they're going to be complacent. Not that they were, but there's no we're good here boys.
Speaker 1: So they are here in Australia, touchdown in Perth. They got the Western Force this weekend and as you said at the top of the show, fellas plenty of people on hand to welp them in and give them the high five. These are giants of the game in the North and across the globe. And then we've got them and the Aussies coming together as well. So the Wallabies have assembled in Sydney. I quite like the embraces that the Wallabies offered up as well. They were they were back in camp and hugging it out and.
Speaker 4: Yeah we go yeah, yeah, all you know, old rivalries are put aside because there's a common goal. It was great more than we used to go into camp like you rock up there. It was you talk about Christmas, it was light Christmas going in there. The amount of kit used to get in, the boots that came through with it, and then just understanding that there's a job to be done, you know, and you quickly re equate yourself with with mates you've been trying to built in the last of you know, four months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a bit more work for the younger players like me Burkey having to deliver all your kit to your room all that sort of stuff, but you know it's still fun. That's it's great Wallabies, Josh. We talked about them really trying hard to make connection throughout Super Rugby and had that Wallabie Australian Rugby first mindset. That's what's to come on about week one the Perth this weekend, but you've got Reds and Tars next week into a Wallaby's Test match against Fiji. So yeah, Wallaby is in camp yesterday training and meetings and some team building stuff. Lots of work to be done for them to be prepared for Fiji too.
Speaker 5: Thoughts on the squad, I look, I like it.
Speaker 4: I like it, I like I like the Will Skelton inclusion as well the two debutantes Chabing decrept me and also Corey Tool. I like it because I think this is well He's chosen on full I reckon because sometimes reputation can can choose in these ones.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of.
Speaker 4: Guys obviously there who haven't played a great deal of footier as well. You know, Joseph Sutle is on screen now and then Max Jorgenson. You know, you're looking at those guys and they will get a run and they will contribute to what it is. But look, I'm liking where they are at the moment. The number ten is going to be crucial for me as to whom he chooses, and the three guys that are there all played well throughout the year. I still don't know who the choice is I would be leaning along the lines of a liner in that space.
Speaker 3: Interesting to see what they do there and even you know, this is the announcement of the squad at Stanmore Public School in Western Sydney. What they do with you know, who goes back to Reds, who's with Tarzan? Some of the guys have been left in Perth from that Wallaby, He's got to play this weekend to make sure the provinces are strong. And then what does Joe Schmidt do? Is it the number one starting fifteen that he envises playing against the Lions in Brisbane that he rolls out against Fiji? Does he tweak it? Is he looking for game time to Chatti's around slily? He is ready to go in outstanding form and it might be a tiny blessing in disguise that he had this mini pre season with Tom Carter leading into a line series.
Speaker 5: Lyons series obviously starts this weekend.
Speaker 1: Just quickly get a word on what the lines seem like they go full noise with their team after last week or what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: I think the big dogs will come in. I would have thought you'd see Gibson Park and Russell at nine and ten. That's what I'm doing. Seriously, that's what I'm doing because look where they are from from the Test match, They've got time. They need to get the combinations right. I can see maybe a two Polow two sliding into twelve hopefully. I think you might see some big dogs.
Speaker 5: Wow. Yeah, Well, I'll tell you what fellas.
Speaker 1: We've got you covered all week and all weekend long and all week long and the lead.
Speaker 5: Up to what will be this historic tour right here on stands.
Speaker 6: For the Lions are coming and we're as excited as you are. Tune in every week they have the tour for a brand new show, all the action from every angle with the game's most dedicated team.
Speaker 2: It's going to be great for the Aussie fans.
Speaker 6: Unmatched Access takes you deep inside the Lions den and Camp Wallaby.
Speaker 5: We promise you won't miss a thing. Historic series un five experience the Lines tour.
Speaker 1: Like never before right here on stand Sport BTP Extra Line Central.
Speaker 5: You're in every night of the week.
Speaker 1: Were covered and we'll be in Perth from Thursday on. I think Timmy's there on Wednesday doing some interviews with fans from the lines as well. Berky before we push on, before we unload on the rest of the week. A chance for you to take a quick trip down memory lane two thousand and one because you were part of that will it He's winning site?
Speaker 2: Yes, two thousand and one.
Speaker 4: It was a really interesting time because, like the still is now, we get this sense of the enormity of what is the lines, but we did not know what was.
Speaker 2: Coming our way. We played at the Gabba and we're.
Speaker 4: Driving there and all we saw it was just a sea of red jerseys. And if you watch the documentary that they did for this game, Johnson walks back to the change room and says, boys, this is a home game, this is all ours. And all I remember in that game was well one sitting on the sideline to start with, because I didn't get a start. I came on for this one, and this is where you try and shut someone down by going forward. Oh, we just got to make the tackle though. That was the only thing I put. I'm on the highlights reel of Brian O'Driscoll. Incredible play. I got run over by Cornell just there. Thanks for it coming. And I scored no points in that game. We had We had an incredible change up because the speed of the game, we hadn't seen anything like it. You talk about that game over the weekend Walks that was played with a bit of width and a bit of speed. That game there was We were frantic, you know, you need to talk about sort of combinations and.
Speaker 2: Cohesion.
Speaker 4: We had nothing out there, and I think I do remember Herbie, you know, saying to our defensive coach, John Muggleton.
Speaker 2: He came out, he ran out and he said stick with the systems.
Speaker 4: And Herbie basically said, mate, the systems aren't working, you know, like with a few more adjectives in there, and we were just sort of looking at each other, going what's going on. So the pace of the game was huge, physicality was massive, and then we literally had to lick our wounds because we got absolutely pumped in that first game realizing the enormity of it. If we lose the next game in Melbourne, we are shot ducks. And then it all changed around, and you know, the whole mindset changed going down to Melbourne. Even from a Rugby Australia or aiu's perspective, they gave everyone yellow beanies, They gave everyone, you know, yellow scarves, gold beans, gold scarves, and so all of a sudden we had this presence around the game. But that first half still, I think we turned at eleven six and we were so out of the game still.
Speaker 2: You know, I talk about this series that we.
Speaker 4: Won one and a half games versus one and a half games. Only by the last one we started to get a riggle on that second half.
Speaker 2: Joe scored two tries.
Speaker 4: Joe Roth that was melon threw a great pill over the top there and we just ground them literally into the turf. Wilkinson got injured in that game. He went off on a stretcher. We're thinking, is he going to play next week? Of course he was. He was going to get off the deck. And this was the this was the final game. That was Herbie Paster me couldn't move my arm because my rexstructed shoulder.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm going to blame.
Speaker 4: But that was it thirty five fourteen, and it was It was a real watershed moment to say we can.
Speaker 2: Keep up with him and we can battle these guys.
Speaker 4: You know, I think it's Stephen Larkin gets injured in that game, so we had to change it around for Elton Flatley comes in for the third Test match. So all of a sudden we had a bit of we had a bit of a struggle and adversity ourselves, but it was just this magic moment going to the Third Test and then we know the story about Justin Harrison, we know the story about.
Speaker 2: Leading into it.
Speaker 4: We're out at paramatter, camped out there and the noise Morgs as you meant already mentioned that the games that you play the midweekers, you know, trying to rough them up the most, you know, good that game in Canberra, the angriness that came about it. So all of a sudden, there's this bit of volatility in this last game eighty eighty five thousand at Stadium Australia. The Aussies were in that section, the lines were in that section. Mem was the no roof back in the day, so all the noise went up and the Aussie noise came in and from there so we got this great run and for me special occasion, my fiftieth Test match running out there and we were able.
Speaker 2: To put pressure on them.
Speaker 4: You were able to put pressure on the score line changed or the lead changed I think about eight times in this game.
Speaker 2: Wilkinson noted a couple over.
Speaker 4: We both missed a couple of crucial goals at the same time. Wilkinson scores won just after halftime with a great little in a later run at one runs at.
Speaker 2: Two steps careful I think it was kef gets a bit caught. There's one off the post there. Thanks for coming. I missed a sitter after that as well. So pressures to play a.
Speaker 4: Massive part in these games, you know, coming up. And this was the last play. Matt Cobain spike that ball, you get a back, walks, runs it off. Griggs and Keff come together and do the cigars. That was That was the red wine and cigars for afterwards there is and we had this incredible momentum shift and the crowd experiences as well because you go back to that game, You go back to that final lineout when Goog steals the ball and it was an incredible play. If you don't get that line out, they drive it forward, score the try. Wilkinson kicks the goal and it's thirty twenty nine and game over. So incredible moment to be a part of, and we'll always be remembered fondly.
Speaker 1: Owen Finnigan sat in that same spot a month back and said that he treasured that series.
Speaker 5: Win over his World Cup victory. Yeah, where does it ran for you?
Speaker 4: For a series of going back to back to back, like, it's pretty special. I go back to nine nine, let us loan when we won three and that was that hadn't been done for so many years. That one there was pretty special. World Cups obviously the pinnacle of but we didn't play in New Zealand in that World Cup. They got punted by France in that semi final. So but we beat them earlier in the year. We beat them quite convincingly in Stateum Australia. So did that sort of tick the box?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Did I mean we're World Cup champions? We can say we are, But there's something about a line series as well.
Speaker 2: And as like Owen said, it's pretty special to have that on your resume.
Speaker 3: One on both.
Speaker 2: It was a good time. We had every trophy, right, we had every trophy. Let us load to donations through everything.
Speaker 3: And there's lessons from two thousand and one for this current Wallaby creue. You can lose the first test and you can win the series. You don't know what you don't know? You wait twelve years and you hear how big a line series is. It seems that everyone, whether it's eighty nine, whether it's two thousand and one, whether it's the All Blacks in two thousand and five in their first game early on, you don't realize how big it is until you're out there and that noise hits you in the face. The same end, you're not going to finish off the series and the same team you started with you you've got to go deep into your squad.
Speaker 1: And it all starts in terms of the footy this Saturday at opt the Stadium.
Speaker 5: But don't forget all week long.
Speaker 1: We've got you covered right here on your home of rugby stands Sport tomorrow our first ever hit of Lion Central.
Speaker 5: And one man, one young man who'll.
Speaker 1: Have his eyes firmly fixed on it is young Joey who is I've just found out stand Sport's number one viewer.
Speaker 2: Number one viewer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, has recently submitted his school project, which was just all rugby. He loves Mark Eller, he loves John and Loomu. He loves David Campe.
Speaker 5: Have you got good?
Speaker 2: How good is it?
Speaker 3: The great the game boy?
Speaker 2: He started?
Speaker 4: Well, how good is it when you get our younger crew, younger generation just owning the game and it is there, be on and end all, and they take it to school, the school project.
Speaker 2: I hope you've got an A plus for that as well.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at it now. It's magnificent production for years.
Speaker 3: Surely I read the short stories, Joe, make great work and sorry loves Noel Lascio there and yeah, I love the amount of information you collected and put down. It was good to see. Maybe we'd have to get you on the desk when you graduate from school.
Speaker 2: It's going to be Jonah too.
Speaker 1: Loves Jonah, so do we fellas well done on the show, Joe, well done on your continued support between two posts, but don't forget tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Line central right here on stands for