S1: I'm Jacqueline Maley, and you're listening to Inside Politics from the newsrooms of the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. And today we have something very, very special and a little bit different because our beloved associate editor and special writer, Tony Rice, is going to be stepping back from daily newsroom duties after 50 years in journalism. This week, Tony's covered federal politics for about 30 years, and he's seen a lot. Readers who follow his work will know that his political observations are always astute. They're wry, they're funny, and they're delivered with plenty of heart. He's a beautiful writer, but unusually for a journalist, he also has quite a compassionate eye as well as a steely one when required. Yesterday, the prime minister, Anthony Albanese, spoke about Tony in Question Time and said that Tony has always been a harvester of moments.
S2: Finding the small things that so many of us may miss and deftly weaving them into a much bigger picture. Many riders.
S1: So this week we want to harvest some of Tony's moments for our podcast. Tony, welcome to the show.
S3: Thanks very much, Jacqueline.
S1: And of course, we have our chief political correspondent, Paul Satchell in the studio in Canberra with Tony as well. Tony, I really love that description of you as a harvester of moments, because you arrived in the press gallery in 1989 as chief political correspondent for The Canberra Times. Bob Hawke was the Prime minister and he was very much on the front foot with you, wasn't he? He invited you straight away down to his office to meet him. Can you tell us what happened at that meeting?
S3: Well, he's a very canny politician, Bob Hawke, and he was also he also had this charisma, I suppose, that people used to talk about. And I got I got a call in my office. I was still very wet behind the ears, didn't have a clue what I was doing really, and the voice said, ah, Hawkie would like to see you in his office. And I thought, of course he was going to drop a great story or something rather. So I grabbed my notebook and finally found my way through the labyrinth of corridors to his office. And he's sitting there with a cigar and he said, ah, mate, you don't need the, uh, the notebook. His purpose was twofold. I think one was, uh, generosity to somebody new in the gallery. The other, I suspect, was that he, he wanted to, uh, harness this new bloke in the gallery just in case, down the track, because he, he said, look, uh, yeah, if you need need a steer on any of, uh, any story you're doing, um, just just give us a call, you know, give give the office a call and we'll fix you up. So, uh, I took a little while to realize that, of course, he was, uh, being a politician there, but he was. He was a very interesting guy. Um, Bob Hawke in 1989. Of course, he'd already been prime minister for some time since 1983. A very seasoned politician and a very natural politician, he came into politics. So from the outside and straight to straight to the prime ministership, really. So his way of being able to relate to somebody who was pretty nervous, I've got to say, I was, um, was very practiced.
S1: So he had those marvellous interpersonal skills. He was an incredible advocate for policy. He knew how to wrangle his party room. And when you met him, he would have really been at the height of his powers. I mean, can you give listeners a sense of what what it was like to see a really great prime minister in full flight and, you know, effectively changing the country and pushing through all these really great reforms? What was it like to see him at the height of his powers?
S3: Well, of course it was. It was a double act. There was Hawke and Keating. Keating and Hawke, you know. And so a lot of the policies that had, uh, had changed were changing Australia's economy and Australia's outlook on the world had come from both of their offices and from the cabinet itself. Hawke, as I understood it and learned from others, really did seek consensus among his senior ministers. He didn't didn't rule the roost and demand that they follow whatever. He allowed things to percolate and to be debated and worked out. And he usually got, I suppose, the outcome that he wanted in the first place. But he was already, I think, getting to that period where the cracks were going to show. And that happened the following year in the 1990 election, where he very nearly lost it to to Peacock. And of course, uh, Paul Keating by then, uh, was pretty much at the end of his patience and decided he was going to go for the prime ministership.
S1: So when did you see any sort of moments of real vulnerability in Hawke? Because he did have, you know, a famously sort of volatile personal life, you might say. And he had some real tragedy within his family life. Did you ever see those close personal moments when he expressed vulnerability?
S3: I can't say that I saw them close up. Of course, there was the famous occasion where he went on TV and, um, confirmed that one of his daughters had a heroin addiction, and he spilt real tears there.
S4: You don't cease to be a husband. You don't you don't cease to be a father like any father. I loved my daughter. I trust her.
S5: That I think.
S3: Hawke was somebody who could spill tears and not feel perturbed about it. He. I think he was pretty, pretty sure of who he was. And of course, a Prime Minister has, by dint of the fact that they have made it to the prime ministership, a great deal of self-confidence and, uh, and belief in their powers, even in those times, I guess at 3:00 in the morning when everybody wonders how things are going, really? Um, he didn't really show that. Um, not at that time anyway.
S1: Paul Keating obviously came along next and he famously said that when you change, Prime Minister, you change the country. How did the country change and how did politics change with Keating? What was his leadership style to observe close up?
S3: Well, um, number one, Keating came in to to try to save the furniture because Peacock had nearly won the 1990 election. And Keating challenged halfway through the next year and then won at the end of 1991. And coming along was John Hewson with this giant manifesto called fightback, and that Keating had already said he could defeat. But Hawke couldn't. His argument was that it wasn't an arithmetical, uh, argument. It was about culture and how it would affect the nation. And, uh, and he did. He, he he devoted most of that period. And you've got to remember, it was just after a, the economic downturn that the recession to have the recession, we had to have. Um, and a lot of. And he knew that a lot of people were against him, particularly the middle class that felt that it had been let down and hollowed out. Um, but he so he became this, uh, jackhammer, I suppose, um, going at John Hewson, day after day after day and the fight back. And you'll recall that very famous occasion in Parliament where Hewson said, well, if you're so confident, why don't you call an election? And he went. Because I want to do you slowly. There's got to be a bit of sport in this for all of us.
S6: I asked the Prime Minister, if you are so confident about your view of Fight Back, why won't you call an early election? Of. Course. I might because I want to move slowly. I want to do you slowly. I know, I know, there's got to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. No, no. There's got to be a bit of sport in this for all of us.
S3: He had that ability to just grab the moment and turn it into something that, you know, put your hair back. Really. Um, but and he won the election. I don't think he really believed he was going to win at the end. I don't think a lot of his staff did either. And having won in 1993, um, I think he became too triumphant. And for, for the, the taste of a lot of Australians. And he wasn't really sure where he was going. I don't think he'd done all his all his hard policy stuff during the period when he was treasurer. He'd had his big political moment as prime minister, and then he was at a bit of a loss. And, uh, of course, then came this extraordinary situation where John Howard was on the rise and Paul Keating couldn't believe that and it really, really unsettled him.
S7: It's often said, Tony, that the political leaders of today don't have the same ability to argue for big reform and push a case and convince the public. And people obviously cite Hawke, Keating and Howard, which I'm sure Jack's about to go into. Do you subscribe to that theory, or do you think that the modern era for a number of different factors, both the crises that we're facing, but also the modern form of communication make, makes governing just far harder these days?
S3: I think it does. Courage is required, of course, and Hawke and Keating had it in spades. What they also had, however, was a high, um, primary vote. Both they and the coalition had had high primary votes. So they knew where their support was to to a pretty large extent. And they worked on, on, on that. Since then there has been this fractured period, of course, that began when Rudd was rolled and Gillard and Abbott and Turnbull and Morrison all came in, and it was as if they were all gasping for air and trying to work out where they could go. And, and that has left an aftertaste, if you like, where courage is in relatively short supply when really big. Uh, the big vision thing, as Keating used to talk about it might, might be required.
S7: Sorry to interrupt you. Keating was known for his very sharp tongue in public, but also in private. And I've been told that you were on the end of some particularly sharp phone calls from Paul Keating.
S3: I quite like that, actually. Um, he came at you from the front. He didn't, uh, circle around and put little stories around or come at you from behind. If I'd written something in The Sydney Morning Herald, which you've got to recall was his hometown newspaper that he really disliked and and disagreed with, he would ring directly to my home in the morning and he would he would really go, you, you you knew that you'd you had been talked to when Paul Keating had been on the phone. But there was always a rhythm to it. He would use every bit of the vernacular that was available to him for some time. Then he'd sort of plateau, and then he would start coming down the other side, explaining himself and trying to talk policy and why why you were wrong and why he was right and so forth. Quite often you'd get a story. So I didn't mind that, and I certainly wasn't the only one. There were plenty of plenty of journalists who who got that treatment. He was very unusual in that he and the calls would go on for a very long time. My father would come and stay with us quite often in Canberra. And he actually believed that. Paul Keating rang me every morning for a while. It wasn't like that at all. It was just that when he was there, it happened to be coincidental. I'd got one of these calls.
S1: Obviously, Howard was the next prime minister after Keating, Tony, and he was a very, very different style of politician indeed. He was also an incredible politician and probably one of our best prime ministers. And he had none of the outward charm or the sort of emotion that you're talking about with Hawke and with Keating. But he did have this particular political magic that kept people coming back for more, and enabled him really to take the Australian population along with him for some very big decisions and reforms. What was that political magic that that Howard possessed?
S3: Well, I think he he stated it even before he became Prime Minister. He said the times will suit him. What he meant by that was that this, uh, very, uh, very hard period of conflict that, uh, Paul Keating had been in charge of and so forth, had got on people's nerves. So he actually said he wanted Australians to be, um, relaxed and comfortable. Yeah. Well, underneath that, of course, was, uh, was a lot of paddling going on. And he, he did have a, uh, a whole agenda at work. He had a, uh, an ability to sniff the breeze like very few other politicians I've ever seen. And I saw how he did that a bit. He carried out his own polls and personal polls. He would invite, say, a group of journalists around to the to the lodge and have a have a roast and and, uh, you know, some potatoes and a cup of tea. And, um, then he would stoke the fire and he would ask a question that didn't sound pointed, but you would discover later on was very important. I remember, for instance, one night we were there and he asked all of us and there were about, I don't know, 5 or 6 of us. Do you have personal private insurance? Right. Health insurance. And we all did as it turned out. And he said, well, you know, why wait, why do you why do you have it? And I think we, you know, we sort of stammered a bit and said, well, we could afford it. And it was probably a good idea and blah, blah, blah. Within a few weeks, he came out with this big policy to basically force people to consider taking private health insurance. He'd he'd been polling everyone he came across, I think, um, once again, before the, uh, Referendum on the Republic, which of course he was against. He came to a big corridor party in Parliament House. They were pretty roistering affairs, and he wandered around and asked everyone that I could see what. What's your. What's your point? What did you agree with? A with a Republican. The general answer was, oh yeah, we do. But it's not top of our priorities or top of mind. And he would mutter, yeah, not not top of mind, not top, top of mind. So he, he was, he was setting his own agendas and then trying them out on, on people without even those people knowing what he was on about. And then following through, um, he, he knew that Pauline Hanson was a threat, uh, particularly after 1998, when One Nation won 11 seats in the in the Queensland state election. And, uh, and from that moment on, immigration and particularly asylum seekers was became one of his really big policy issues because he knew that she would harness that. And of course, it ended up with the Tampa and the Pacific solution and all those sort of things.
S1: Yeah. Which ended up being quite controversial policies for Howard, but.
S3: Also fairly mildly.
S1: Yeah. But also ensured his ongoing popularity with a large sector of the electorate and have now come back to haunt us. And I want to ask you about that later. But just to move through time, I mean, you went on a lot of overseas trips with the prime ministers and perhaps ministers as well. What was it like? What's it like to observe those prime ministers, leaders up close and personal and sort of in an off campus environment? What do you learn in that environment that you don't see in Canberra?
S3: Well, you learnt quite a bit because particularly in the earlier days when we were flying around on the old 707 VIP plane, the Prime Minister of the day, and whether it be Bob Hawke or Paul Keating. And for a while, until, uh, um, John Howard got a plane that was too small to take, take, take journalists, they would they would wander down the back and have a bit of a chat and you could talk about anything because it really was off the record. We were we were in the sky, you know, and, uh, you got to know these people quite intimately, I think, um, in a way that you couldn't possibly around Parliament House. I remember during an election campaign, Kim Beazley, this was that famous election campaign that I was talking about after Tampa. And, and the Twin Towers came down.
S1: 2000 and was it 2000, 2001.
S7: 2001?
S3: Yeah, 2001 and Kim Beazley came down the back of the plane and all the journalists were there. And he he began by saying, you know, we're going to win this one. And then within a couple of minutes he was saying, you know, we we've we've done everything we can. Um, I don't know how this is going to go. And then he was slumped in a seat saying, you know, if we don't win, at least we gave it everything. And right in front of our eyes, we saw a politician who was running for the prime ministership or hoping to get there, talk himself out of it. Um, and that I think had a, had an effect on a lot of journalists following it. You sort of saw this vulnerability of, of Kim Beazley, a man of great intellect who, um, also had the ability, unlike a lot of them, to see both sides of a question. And, and therefore he wasn't, he wasn't, um, this sharp, sharp tool coming, coming at politics. He was a, he was a man who wanted to think about it. And unfortunately, he thought himself out of winning right in front of us.
S1: The very sort of character traits that made him, gave him his humanity, made him perhaps not the best politician.
S3: What.
S1: What who's the best prime minister? You think you've covered the strongest leader?
S3: Well, the two strongest leaders really were Bob Hawke and and John Howard and both of them. It could be seen in the great length of time they remain prime ministers. I'm not talking about agreeing with them or disagreeing with them on on policy or the way they went about it, but they were both very strong. Um, and at the end, of course, um, you could see that you could watch that strength eking away when, when, uh, Keating went at Hawke, and then when John Howard had outstayed his welcome, I think, and he sent out his, uh, his cabinet ministers to find out what people thought. And, and got Alexander Downer to report back about what they were thinking. And he did report back that they thought he should step aside. Well, he refused to step aside. He lost his seat. So there is there is that period where a prime minister can be seen as a very powerful, very strong prime minister, um, running the country the way he feels best. But in the end, there are tears.
S1: Yeah. In the end everything changes and all periods pass, right. Who is the worst Prime minister you covered?
S3: Well, that's a bit of a leading question. I, I think, um, I think Scott Morrison was, uh, perhaps the, the, the, the Prime Minister who you ended up not having all that much time for or I didn't. The sort of things he did, um, and where he'd come from were made him the sort of Prime minister who really wasn't suited to the job. I think he'd come from that period where he was, you know, running Border Force and all that sort of thing where he, he, he became a very secretive man and thought that was terrific because we'd ask him questions about asylum seekers. And he'd, he'd just say, well, that's an on, on water matter or operational matter, and we wouldn't talk about it. So when he became prime minister, I think a lot of people didn't quite trust him. And the way he got there when he did Turnbull in a few really, a few hours after he'd declared to the cameras that his only ambition was for his prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull. I mean, he he had a pretty tough time because of Covid and, uh, he didn't handle other things very well. For instance, the bushfires pretty, pretty much, uh, stripped him of reputation. The part where he was overseas in having a holiday whilst Australia burnt. And then he came back and said, well, you know, I don't hold a hose, mate. Those sort of things didn't resonate very well. And in the end, when he was discovered to have made himself a minister of five different portfolios secretly, he not only lost a lot of points with those who looked at him from the outside, but from the inside, his own ministers and his own colleagues. And I think in the end, people look back and go, you know, it wasn't a great period.
S1: Yeah. I mean, there was a running theme with Scott Morrison, wasn't there, where, um, you know, rightly or wrongly, the perception was that he, he had a, had a problem with taking accountability and he wouldn't take responsibility for his own actions and mistakes in taking the historical view. How do you rate Anthony Albanese as a prime minister?
S3: Um, as has been said previously about the French Revolution, too, too early to tell. Um but he, he, um he's already completed one term of course, and he's won another election.
S1: That's, that's an age by the by the standards of modern Australian politics.
S3: He's probably having a fair bit of fortune actually. Um because the opposition, the conservative opposition has essentially collapsed. Uh, one nation has come in to fill that vacuum, and it doesn't look as if he is likely to be, um, to be toppled at the next election, even though his, uh, ratings are way down. I mean, the, uh, I think the government's primary vote is somewhere around 28%. Well, it's not all that long ago that if you heard those figures, you would say, well, they're finished. He he's not. And he and he keeps battling on, I mean, yeah. Um, he has that, uh, uh, he appears cautious, but quite a bit does get done. And every now and again he allows that sort of tearaway young elbow to appear, um, to his, uh, deleterious sort of, uh, approach or outcome. I mean, you know, going on a podcast and talking about Kylie and melons and so forth just didn't work. It, uh, maybe, maybe these guys all want to be hawky and they can't.
S1: I know I'm jumping around a bit here, but I do want to ask about Julia Gillard. And that was a period when I was in Canberra too. We worked side by side and we had a lot of fun and a lot. It was an interesting time to be covering politics. It was a particularly volatile time. It was full of a lot of personal attacks and vitriol. Was that a sort of step change, you know, from your point of view, having come from sort of like the kinder, gentler years of Howard and Rudd and then step changing to Gillard minority government. Can you just reflect on that a bit for us?
S3: Yeah, look, it's a very conflicted time because of the way she came to be prime Minister. Getting rid of Rudd while he was still prime minister and not very far into his into his term, and then almost losing the next election and being saved by a couple of independents. So there were those around her who, number one, either didn't like her because of the turmoil that, uh, um, put her into the job in the first place. And others who were worried that she wouldn't, um, she wouldn't be able to last, but she did. And a lot of people don't realize. But she got more legislation through Parliament than virtually anybody else in that short period. She was prime minister, and she did get attacked in quite unfair ways. Um, she was the first female prime minister. And you know that stuff about Ditch the Witch and all the rest of it, um, was, was utterly, utterly appalling. And when she finally cracked, I suppose when Tony Abbott was getting stuck into her, calling her a misogynist or whatever for backing Peter Slipper. Um, the speaker who was had been sending pretty vile emails and she did that big moment.
S8: So doing, I say to the leader of the opposition, I will not be lectured about sexism and misogyny by this man. I will not, and the government will not be lectured about sexism and misogyny by this man. Not now, not ever.
S3: That raised her stakes, probably forever, with a pretty reasonable cohort of Australian voters. Others, of course, will never will never come to her side because, um, there is a, I think a pretty strong stream of sexism running through, uh, the harder edges of politics. And of course, she was undermined by Kevin Rudd all the way along to the point where she actually had to hand the prime ministership back to him, uh, at the very last minute. And of course, he couldn't save the save the ship either. So it was a, it was a conflicted period. I think she has come out of it that actually horrible period, I suppose, as a person who is highly respected because after she left the Prime Minister, she. She never looked back and and and complained.
S7: Tony has Pauline Hanson's research and surprised you. You covered her in her first period of popularity.
S3: I think it surprised everyone. The level of of of resurgence. I recall, as I mentioned, the 1998 surge when One Nation won 11 seats in the Parliament of of state, Parliament of Queensland. But you've got to remember later on that year, she she couldn't win her own seat. And the One Nation, uh, basically disintegrated with one one Senator. That was all for a long time. So this is a person who made a lot of noise for a lot of time. But once again, perhaps the times have suited her. There is a very strong feeling across country Australia that people outside the inner circles of the city and and so forth are being left out of the the equation. I know in my own territory I have a house in the country and I spent a lot of time down there. The roads are falling apart. We've lost our air services. There's only one train in the near. And people look at, say, Melbourne or the big cities and see billions of dollars being spent on infrastructure, and they feel left out. And they feel a lot of people clearly out there feel that, um, no one's speaking for them. And Pauline Hanson always has, people will say, and I would add, of course, that in country Australia, Sky TV is free to air and has been since 2018. And you go around the farms and so forth. I've got cousins and all. And and here in the corner is, uh, Sky TV sounding off against elitism and the major parties and how, how rotten, uh, is woke Australia and so forth and so forth. And that has, you know, it's all melded exactly the right time for, um, Pauline Hanson to fill that vacuum that I was talking about after, after Dutton when, uh, the coalition actually fell apart and then hasn't really put itself back together yet.
S1: Yeah. Tony, politics is so often about plotting and brawling and, you know, that's what we see from the outside, you know, all of that sort of conflict and the nasty stuff. But when you're covering politics, there are also moments of great emotional power when you realize that you're witnessing history and you're really up close to something very special. You would have seen many moments like that in your career. Do you want to talk us through 1 or 2 of those?
S3: Yeah. Yeah, I have, um, and I should point out that a lot of politicians who arrive in Canberra arrive with, with the best of intentions, and they, they really believe they're going to, um, help society and change the nation and so forth. And they get rubbed pretty bare pretty quickly. Um, but talking about big moments, I suppose the one of the biggest was Kevin Rudd's apology to the Stolen Generations.
S6: For the pain, suffering and hurt of these stolen generations, their descendants and for their families left behind. We say sorry. To the mothers and the fathers, the brothers and the sisters for the breaking up of families and communities, we say sorry, and for the indignity and degradation thus inflicted on a proud people and a proud culture, we say sorry.
S3: That was something that had had been playing on Australia's conscience for a long time. Some people, of course, would disagree with that. But when Kevin Rudd stood up in Parliament and there were a lot of indigenous people there, there were a lot of people who had been stolen as as children and had suffered a great deal trying to put their lives back together. And when he stood up there and made his apology, we are sorry. And the the fluttering of handkerchiefs in the in the crowd, the tears, the silence was absolutely profound. I saw something similar when Julia Gillard apologised to another stolen generation, I suppose those who were taken from their mothers, their single mothers and adopted out or put in homes or whatever. And the same thing occurred there, that welling up of emotion. Yes. And you suddenly realised that these were people who had just wanted to have been heard and recognised. And here was a Prime Minister doing it. Rudd for the for the stolen indigenous generations. Guillard for. For others. Um, and they were very important moments. The Gillard one was unfortunate because in the background, as soon as it was over, uh, there was, there was more, you know, conflict politics going on.
S1: I remember that day. It was yeah, the best and the worst of politics. I mean, I got goosebumps just hearing you talk about those moments because yeah, I was there, you know, for the second one. And you realize that politics does have the power to change people's lives for the better, despite all of the nasty stuff that we sometimes see in the cynicism that we sometimes hold about our political process. Tony, is there anything else you want to leave us with? I mean, you you're sort of walking out of the press gallery, hopefully not for the last time, but you're taking a step back. I know that you have always treated your colleagues with so much kindness and respect and warmth, and you're a very generous colleague, and I know that you consider your position a very privileged one, because you love what you do and you never take it for granted.
S3: Yeah, I'm the luckiest bloke in the world. You know, I came from a small country district and a school. I've spoken about this before at a boarding school in the country. I looked across from the top floor dormitories at the Grampians and thought, I want to see what's beyond there. Well, journalism has allowed me to see what is beyond there, right around the world and across Australia and, and the people with whom I've worked um, are really family, you know, and I love these people and um, I'll miss them desperately. It's the pleasure of going to work either in the days of Canberra when I used to come into the press gallery all the time, or now nowadays in the in the newsroom of the age in Melbourne, um there are all these brilliant people, a lot of them young, uh, a lot of them. So, uh, full of ideas and full of emotion and, and passion and, uh, it, it just makes your heart sing to be able to do those sort of things.
S7: I would just add that, you know, the prime Minister and opposition leader often give these speeches in the House after Question time on milestones or anniversaries or for formalities, but they can often look as if they're going through the motions. But you could sense that both of them really meant what they said. The Prime Minister's speech in particular was quite thoughtful. There was some emotion in there, and the opposition leader spoke really nicely as well. And I've seen a bunch of ministers ask me questions about you this week. I've seen come in some come into our office to chat to you. So all very fitting to Mark.
S3: All very embarrassing.
S7: I know it's been embarrassing to you, but people, people want to express.
S3: That somebody had set this up and, you know, a bit like somebody reading your obituary before you're gone. But it was it was, of course, lovely. And my family and my kids and so forth will, will treasure those moments because they've got them on video. They knew what was going to happen, I didn't. Um, but yeah, it was pretty special. And a nice, uh, a nice end to this part of my career.
S7: You'll still be writing.
S3: I will. As a contributor for The Age and perhaps the Sydney Morning Herald.
S7: Very good.
S1: We can't wait to read what you do next Tony, and we will miss you. We will miss you having having you as a day to day colleague. It's been a pleasure to work with you. Thank you for being on the podcast and for sharing your harvesting those moments with us, and we'll hopefully see you again soon.
S3: Thanks very much, Jacqueline, and it was a pleasure working with you too, I must say.
S1: Yeah, it was fun. We had some fun.
S7: Thanks, Tony.
S1: You can read all of our political news on our website, ca.com.au or smh.com.au. Today's episode was produced by Kai Wong with help from Debbie Harrington. Our executive producer is Tammy Mills, and our podcasts are overseen by Lisa Muxworthy and Tom McKendrick. Before you go, follow Inside Politics and leave a review for us on Apple or Spotify. I'm Jacqueline Maley, thank you for listening.