Speaker 1: Whoa across Australia.
Speaker 2: This is Weekends with Luke Grant.
Speaker 3: But you gotta keep your.
Speaker 2: Head up then you can.
Speaker 3: Let your hand up.
Speaker 2: You gotta keep your.
Speaker 1: Head up and she collect.
Speaker 3: Your hand up.
Speaker 1: Hollow.
Speaker 3: It's hard, No, it's hard to remember sometimes. But you gotta keep your head up then you colet your hand downy.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Welcome to Weekends with Luke Grant. Great to be with you on two GBAN Sydney, four b Scene Brisbane and via the two gb app GADATA listeners all around Australia. On Sunday, June fourteenth, fifty years ago, On this day, fifty years ago, our men's Australian cricket team achieved their highest Test innings total ever eight for seven hundred and fifty eight, eight for seven fifty eight. We're playing the West Indies in the Fifth Test in the Windys Our team heads there for the First Test which begins on June twenty sixth in Barbados. I don't imagine an eight for seven fifty eight is around the corner because disappointingly, I have to report that Australia was hammered by five wickets by South Africa in the World Test Championship at Lord's Overnight. Bowling is not our problem. Batting is. So I expect we'll see some new names ahead of the ashes later this year here at home. But I have to say well done South Africa. I want us to win everything. Probably you do as well, but the glorious uncertainty of sport rules again we were favorite. It should be noted it's still June fourteenth in the US. Today Donald Trump celebrates his seventy ninth birthday. The President prepared to make a show of American military mite with a parade of tanks and missiles and aircraft through the heart of the nation's capital. The celebration of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the United States Army has already transformed into a test of wills and competing imagery, with demonstrators around the US to crying the Trumpster's expansion of executive power. As we go to where Central Washington is effectively locked down, divided by a wall of tall, black crowd control fences. They're designed to assure that the parade, the first of its kind since American troops returned from the Golf War back in ninety one, is an uninterrupted demonstration of history and American power. Spectators have come and gone all days. Thunderstorms are in the forecast, but Trump has declared the parade would go on rain or shine. Watching it a little early in the morning, and the commentary. The accompanying commentary is almost like a game of footy, with this pumped up commentator speaking so glowingly of every it seemed, every tank, every troop, everything amazing. Of course, no celebration of history takes place in a political vacuum. We know that protest is in large cities and small towns from Seattle to Key West, demonstrated against how Trump is making use of the modern force. His decisions over the past week to federalize the National Guard and call the Marines into the streets of la in support of these immigration roundups have rekindled a debate about whether he's abusing the powers of the commander in chief. That's happening right now, as it turns out. Our National political editor, Michael Packy, is in Seattle ahead of the G seven later this week, where the Prime Minister will be in attendance. Now he's been speaking today the PM and already he's confirmed that he'll meet with Donald Trump Wednesday morning our time. He's a PM. We do have a meeting scheduled.
Speaker 4: Obviously, there are issues that the US President is dealing with at the moment, but I expect that we will be able to have a constructive engagement as well, and I look forward to building on the very constructive phone conversations that we've had on the three occasions that we've had the opportunity to talk.
Speaker 2: As I said, Michael Pecki's in Seattle, and I think Michael Free's time, MAYE have you seeing the protests where you are?
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, look, I have seen the protests though where I am, and some of them are still going in various parts of the city. And it's just I suppose you just you're amazed by the amount of people that have turned out. And I know that in all parts of the United States, you've got these protests that are taking place, but there are thousands upon thousands upon thousands of people that have aligned these various streets of Seattle are just marching down and they've been doing that.
Speaker 6: I suppose it's probably.
Speaker 5: Would have been about ten o'clock this morning local time, been in another area of Seattle, we've been in a place called the Amazon Steers where essentially the Prime Minister was with the boss of Amazon, where they've made an announcement about Amazon spending another seven billion dollars in Australia to build data centers. So it's been this juxta decision where you've got protests happening at one end of the city. Then we've been at the other end of the city where this announcement has been made, and also where the Prime Minister took questions at a press conference and he did confirm that he will be meeting with Donald Trump early next week in Canada on the sidelines of that G seven, with trade and of course defense issues very much the issues on the agenda for those talks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what format that meeting takes. I imagine the last thing the Prime Minister wants to see is to have him sitting next to Donald Trump and cameras everywhere. We know how that's played down for many world leaders.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, I think you're right, it will be interesting how this does take place and from what we've just seen what we're being told at the moment, and obviously we're going to be leaving for Canada tomorrow for the G seven. But what we're being told from where we're staying at the hotel and where the actual G seven is taking place, it's quite a distance so will be interesting to see where the meeting takes place. Does it take place at the location of the G seven or does it take place at one of the hotels. If it does take place at the one of the hotels, how much media will be allowed in And as you quite rightly say, when Donald Trump needs world leaders, he likes having the full media pack in there and almost going doing and throwing with that media pack as he takes their questions. There's no pretense of just having a picture opportunity. Donald Trump seems to always be prepared to take a couple of questions that are thrown at him. But it was interesting today that Anthony Ibnez he did make it clear that he while he discussed the tariff issue, and you will tell him that you know, he doesn't believe the tariffs should be imposed on Australia or any other country for that matter. When it comes to the issue of aucust he is going to say that he thinks Australia's defense spending is essentially on track, and that Australia should decide how much it spends on its military. But he's also going to add that the government is also helping America as well in Australia, that we provide bases for US submarines in Western Australia, for US warships in places like Sydney's Guarden, Ireland occasionally, and also we host US marines through training exercises. So he is going to defend Australia's defense spend while you've got the White House urging Australia to spend more money on defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean he's got to do his best there because he's got a budget issue here as well. But I think the fact remains and Trump will, I guess, play this card that if someone that didn't like has turned up, it's circularly key with a couple of slingshots, we'll be calling for America for some help. But anyway, we'll see what happens with that. Was there any mention from the PM of the Iran Israel conflict, and in particular the Australians who said through the media yesterday and I think again today on weekend today nova Peris made the point that it's quite frightening and they are a bit a bit mythed that they can't get out of the joint.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, the only thing that he said about that is that that dead all the Department of Foreign Affairs is trying to work with the people that are there to try and get them out, but that it's a difficult situation. And obviously it's a war zone and it is a difficult situation to try and get them out. But I think that all that all that is possible is being done. But I think that when it comes to some of these issues, he doesn't like and like this. I will say this is probably of any leader when they're asked about these situations, they do tend to keep their power to drive because things are obviously happening behind the scenes to try and get people out of these situations. So he didn't expand too much. But I think that work is happening to try and see what can be done to airlift some you know, as many Australians as possible out of there. But it is I suppose the issue is is that Australians who wanted to come home over a number of months have been told to get out and some have chosen to stay. Now there's obviously this situation that's arisen and now the government has to try and see what it can do to get them out.
Speaker 2: So does when does Team Albo leave Seattle and head head to the G seven. Mate? What's ahead of you guys today?
Speaker 5: So what happens is we're in Seattle for the rest of today. It's already four o'clock here in Seattle, so I know that in a little while the Prime Minister will be making a speech to a bunch of business leaders. They're mainly technology leaders where he'll be speaking and we will be talking about this announcement that's been made by Amazon today. He'll say that it shows that you've got these big American companies that are willing to invest in Australia and obviously trying to encourage other business leaders to do the same and invest in our country. So it's about four o'clock now, he's got this speech in about an hour's time, and then that's pretty much for the schedule for today. Tomorrow morning we'll leave early for the G seven in Calgary or Alberta in Canada, and we're there for the rest of the day. So we're there for the rest of Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, and it'll be Wednesday, Wednesday Australian time where this meeting with Donald Trump is meant to happen. Now, the Prime Minister says it's scheduled. Obviously anything can happen, and he obviously is cited to confirm it today after Donald Trump himself confirmed that he would be attending the G seven. Because it was some speculation that Donald Trump may not attend that G seventh summit. But given that there's a whole bunch of world leaders that are attending, and there are a lot of pressing global issues to be discussed, you'd think that Trump would want to be front and center of those sorts of discussions that will take place.
Speaker 2: Yes, you'd think so, or I made Thank you so much for your Times day. Safe over there. We'll talk to you again soon. No problems, Get on your work, Good on your Michael Michael Packy, national political editor in Seattle. Now on with the show here on Sunday the fifteenth. I might have inadvertently said fourteenth. I certainly said it's still the fourteenth in the US, because it is, but it's fifteenth. If I didn't say the right thing, I do apologize. Official weather in Sydney a party, cloudy day with a medium channel for showers in the afternoon and tonight. Tops in the city eighteen Penritheen Paramatta eighteen bon dying along the coast eighteen. It's an eighteen on in Brisbane, a sunny day tops in the city twenty two, twenty two at the airport, Ipswich twenty three, Gold Coast twenty three and on the sunny coast today twenty two degrees. Now let's get into it with the latest from the Middle East and the sky of a. Tehran was engulfed in smoke and flames this morning our time, after the city's main gas depot was struck during Israel's latest wave of attacks on Iran. The two countries launched renewed waves of attacks on each other late Saturday, as leaders of both countries vowed to intensify their assault despite international pleas for de escalation. Now, Iran's oil ministry said the gas depot the Shahran Fuel Depot, was hit and set on fire, and official with the ministry said the depots at the facility, which has eleven storage tanks were exploding one after another other and threatened to significantly damage residential neighborhoods in the area now. A resident whose high rise apartments directly across from the depot said the force of the explosions felt like an earthquake. Multiple witnesses said the fire was spreading and lighting up the mountains around Tehran. Israeli air defense systems late yesterday were intercepting Iranian ballistic missiles as explosions lit up the sky over Jerusalem. Images on Israeli television indicated that many of the missiles fired in the latest mirage from Iran were also aimed for the first time at the northern city of Haifa. The Israeli military announced on social media that its air force was attacking military targets in Iran as Iranian state news media also confirmed that Tehran had launched its own new round of missile attacks on Israel. The daz Old conflict is the most intense fighting in decades between the two heavily armed We'll keep an eye on the developments around. Australians who are there. I know someone who's caught up in this sent her a text yesterday morning just making sure she was okay, and it was kind of late last night that she came back to me with emojis to assure me that she was, but hoping that they'd get out of there very very soon. We'll see where all that ends up, and I'll keep an eye for you as we mak our way through the show today. Now, just on these assassinations in the US, a former appointee of Democratic Minnesota Governor Tim Walls is being sought in connection with the assassination of a state politician and the shooting of another. According to police vance, Luther Bolt allegedly posed as a police officer, but he shot Senator John Hoffman and his wife in their home in Champlain, Minnesota, leaving them so seriously injured. According to The New York Post, He then allegedly moved to former Democratic House Speaker Melissa Hortman's house, where he's believed to have killed her and her husband. The suspected assailant was still at large, officials said, with a massive manhunt underway, extraordinary. Now on the show today, a deep dive into the state of Australia's defense and the future of Orcas I look forward to the future of the conflicts around the world with the founder and Director of Strategic Analysis Australia, Michael Shubridge. I'll speak to Michael shortly. Today is World Elder Abuse Day and as a Makley yesterday, and this is not controversial, we need to be doing so much more to protect the elderly in our community. The Council of the Aging Australia shares our views and wants the Federal government to get a bit more active on this. These numbers I told you about yesterday are just so upsetting. One in sea older Australians experience elder abuse, one in six. Disturbingly, over sixty percent don't seek help because they're scared of potential retaliation or they're scared of not being believed. I'll speak with the Acting Chief Executive of Code of the Council of the Aging, Corey Erlam, on that issue on the show Today on Sundays with Spotlight. An ordinary assi who's achieved extraordinary things, and today's guest fittingly describes himself as quote an ordinary man who's done some good things unquote, but a quick look at the achievements of this book will show you his story is far from ordinary. His name is Nick Caldas. Pretty much done at all in the world of policing and counter terrorism. Nick was a twenty one year old immigrant lad from Egypt when he joined the New South Wales Police Force. Today he's Assistant Commander in Chief of the Abu Dhabi Police Force and on the way he's been a Royal Commissioner, a homicide detective and let a un force. Nick Caldas AO, don't miss our chat in the next hour. The IVF industry has been put under the microscope after Monash IVF became embroiled in its second embryo bungle now. Earlier this week, Monash IVF revealed that a patient in Melbourne had their own embryo mistakenly transferred back to them rather than one belonging to their partner. This follows an incident in April where Monash implanted a patient in Brisbane with another woman's embryo in twenty twenty three and gave birth to a baby who had no genetic links to her later that year. You know, words don't exist to describe what these patients must have felt. It left many of us thinking, how does this happen? Do these patterns and incidents represent a four in the process of monash all over the joint. Was it just bad luck? I don't know. I want to find out. Does the industry need industry wide changes to stop it from happening again? Well, I think you'd have to say yes. I'll talk to a bioethicist from Swinburne University, doctor Ev Kendall, and get her views. Stephen Finnick will join me to talk technology in our second hour. He'll walk us through the latest Apple news. They've unveiled a new design for their software platforms and new features for iPhone and Apple Watch. Stephen with all the details soon. Jim Haynes in our last hour, here to reminisce about the old movies of Australia. Now we started to do this last week. If you've been an extra, if your home's been caught up in a famous scene, or you know someone that has, we want to hear from you. It's so much fun. We'll do that after midday today again, plenty of time to talk to you. We'll keep across all the breaking news in our quiz, all that ahead on the show today. So that's what we've got coming up over the next three and a half fish hours. It's ten degrees in Sydney right now it feels like six. They reckon twelve in Brisbane it feels like eleven. Can you tell the difference? I don't think so. This is Weekends with Luke Grant on two GB and four BC, and let's see what's happening on the roads with the brilliant Catherine Hines now on Weekends the Sunday Sweep.
Speaker 1: Looking at the stories.
Speaker 2: Of the week. Yeah wow, what a week on planet Earth Day. Iran and Israel appear to be on the brink of a really large scale conflict, if that isn't already playing out. The Prime Minister set to meet with Donald Trump at the G seven in Canada this week. I imagine that Donald Trump will say, hey, we're happy to help, but any chance you could do your bit in terms of defense and of course, the Aucus, the alliance that underpins the future of our national security is now under review. What does that mean? So who better to help us understand all of this than the founder and Director of Strategic Analysis Australia, Michael shue Bridge, who joins me on the line. Morning Michael, Morning, Luke, very well, thank you so much for your time. Always enjoy our chats and I appreciate your expertise in all of these areas. I guess we start with Israel and Iran, a new wave of attacks or seen the talks about nuclear canceled quite obviously. First off, was Israel justified? Were they write in starting something? They're living in the fear of Iran doing something out of control with nuclear they be on edge all the time, obviously if they're not on edge about a whole range of other things.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Well, the Iranian nuclear program is decades old, so Israel has always wanted it to be ended, and the negotiations that the Americans were having whether RAM were clearly not going to do that.
Speaker 9: And this same week.
Speaker 8: That Israel began these attacks, the International Atomic Energy Agency formally declared Arama's in breach of all its reporting obligations and had enough nuclear material to make nine weapons. So I think the Israeli calculation was there was not going to be a better time to try and stop Iran, and that's why they've started. But it's still an incredibly hard problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now the US, as I understand it, providing some assistance to Israel, protecting them from the missiles and the like, And we've seen Israel get some success, certainly around the nuclear plant, and I think today we're being told that they've had a crack at some of their other fossil fuel stores. And I guess this goes on for a matter of days or weeks or months. I guess I'm trying to ask you, Michael, if you put the crystal ball into this, what you end up with, is there a time where Israel can claim victory? Is a regime change in a run, how does its play out? What's the endgame for both countries?
Speaker 8: Well, that is pretty hard to see. I would say you're right that this is not a matter of a war that's going to be over in a few days. It's going to go on at least for weeks. The prospect of regime change during the middle of a war, I think is very very low in history. When countries are at war, usually people sort of rally around the flag, and I think we'll probably see some of that. Even though the Iranian regime is deeply unpopular. It's different when you're being attacked. The Americans are trying not to get dragged into this beyond helping defend Israel, but from the Iranian point of view, if you're helping defend Israel, you're part of the problem, so that the prospects of an escalation are there, bringing the Americans in more. And the bit that still doesn't make sense to me is what's the Israeli plans to deal with the buried underground nuclear facilities that Iran has Because places like fourdoh An underground site and the tarns An underground and Richmond site. You can bomb the above ground bits as much as you like, but you don't damage underground.
Speaker 2: So what countries nearby are likely to assist Iran? I guess where I'm headed now is how far will this expand? Is there an obvious I mean, apart from the US trying to help Israel defend itself, who else gets involved?
Speaker 8: Nobody? Because since the seventh of October Hamas terror attacks on Israel, Israel has dismantled the proxies, the armed proxies that Iran had built to threaten Israel for decades. Hamas and Hezbolla were its key weapons, and it had militias operating in Syria two that had Iranian missiles and rockets to specifically to attack Israel. That's all pretty much gone now. So the Iranians are by themselves and there's no way countries like Saudi Arabia or Katara or the United Arab Emirates want to pile in on a run side here, the friend that Iran does have turns out to be Vladimir Putin in Moscow, and that's because Putin has been supported by Iran with drones to fight in Ukraine.
Speaker 2: I want to get to Orcus, and I guess we start by the obvious. How serious is the review by the US into Orcus? Should we be sitting here at home, knowing how reliant we are on the US saying oh, we've got a serious problem here.
Speaker 8: It is a serious review. The fact it's meant to be only take thirty days means it's it's not a deep one. But the issues are pretty obvious and clear, and you've put your finger on one of them. Luke, it's very hard to say, Hey, we're one of your closest allies America, and we're so close on defense that we're spending two percent of GDP on defense while you're spending three and a half percent. But by the way, we would like nuclear submarines out of your own navy when you don't have enough of them and know we're still going to only be spending two point three percent in ten years. That is a pretty hard ask.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that beautifully put so at home because I want to how these plays out amongst Australian voters. If, of course, you could say, couldn't your Michael that we've I don't want to use the word bludging, but it seems like you know, we've we've we've ambled forward knowing that if things got really serious, America would come and give us assistance. But as Trump's made clear in his America First policies, if that's the right way to put it, you know, we'll give you a hand, but you've got to be have faired incing yourself. But does the average Astradion voted do you think are they persuaded by that? You know, we should be faired income, we shouldn't just rely on the US.
Speaker 8: Well, I think this is all got bound up in a whole lot of Australians dislike of Donald Trump and a whole lot of the things he's doing. And you know, you look at America with the riots going on, the big military beat protest saying no King and the kind of aggression towards America's traditional friends and partners. And you can sort of see why a bunch of Australians are saying, yeah, I love it when mister Albanezi talks tough and says he decides things and he's not going to be pushed around by this guy. But is it really a source of national pride to not do enough for our own security and say to the Americans, no, it's to spend two percent on defense and be even more dependent on you. So don't try to push me about this. To me, that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: No, that's excellent analysis. That's exactly right, because you're right to say that he got up to say, you know, we'll decide almost like John Howard talked when he talked about the boat paper, I will decide what we'll spend on defense. In other words, we'll do just a little bit here and you will come. And I mean, if you're an American looking on you be going, huh, that's not tough. That's absolutely silly. I get so much from your analysis and our conversations Michael, and I guess I'm stuck on a point that you raised before the break about Australia not doing enough from looking tough insaying that we're not doing enough. And I guess the question is how safe is how safe are we? I guess is where I want to get to here? Because people walk around thinking, you know, we'll just go and get a coffee, everything's great. We hear everything that bad happens happens. It seems over I guess many Australians think, you know, best country in the world was safe? Here are we? Is that niaive? Is that fair enough?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I think we are still the best country in the world. That's absolutely true. And we're lucky we live in a safe part of the world. But even our safe part of the world is more dangerous than I was. So if you read this government and the previous government's own documents, things like the National Defense Strategy, you will hear that China is building a massive military, building a large nuclear weapons stockpile, and it's not doing them for fun. It's already using it's a military aggressively against countries like Japan, the Philippines and Vietnam. And so the kind of you've got to burrow into those documents because you don't hear this from our political leaders. So the risks are real. And something you're reading them as well is that our geography no longer Texas as it did because of new weapons, and that's long range missiles, but it's also things like drones that can be used very creatively, as we've seen the Ukrainians and the Israelis do now. And China makes all of this stuff and supplies its military with all of it, and it does want to take Taiwan back, and it doesn't look like there's a peaceful option.
Speaker 2: No, is that something that might happen? Well? Is that a reality? Is that something we cannot dismiss? And is that far away from happening? I mean, you hear from time to time the suggestion that it's imminent. When will if it's inevitable, China try to retake back Taiwan, We'll take back Taiwan.
Speaker 8: Well, this is interesting. I think the Chinese government, the Communist Party, wants to tell the world it's inevitable. But the reason they have to keep saying that is they know that's not true. So far, they've been deterred from doing it, and they've been deterred by American and allied military power and doubts that she Jinking has about his own military, and both those things are still powerful. But the problem is America and its allies look a bit chaotic now and distracted. But the good news is China keeps purging senior people and it's military, which doesn't give them the Colgate Ring of confidence. You know, I think it's all about It's a bit like what we're saying about met Yahu and Iran. Will there be a better time?
Speaker 11: Is?
Speaker 8: I think the question in she's mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, fascinating. You talked about drones. Actually had a drone manufacturer, the boss of a company from Victoria, I think, on a few weeks ago, and they're doing great stuff. And you hear about, as you mentioned, drones in Ukraine and elsewhere, and I end up saying this, why does it seem like we're spending all that we have on submarines on the never never when we could, like other countries around the world, arm ourselves with drones. Drones are flying drones in the water and seemingly beyond on the pace. What am I missing there?
Speaker 8: Well, I think what you're missing is our government and our defense departments complete this interest in equipping our military with these things. They spend all their time talking about why the time's not right. You know, anything I do now might be obsolete. Look, you know it's not proven how they'll be used best, We've got to develop concepts. But the actual problem is it messes with their plan. The defense plan that the government has endorsed and seems perfectly happy with. Is what you talked about. It's spending hundreds of billions of dollars on triggates and submarines that do not thing to help out security for decades, and under investing in a whole bunch of stuff that Australian companies make and supply to other militaries. Right now, it is mystifying, it is. It's the only explanation I have is that the current leadership and the government and that the Defense Department don't believe their own words about the dangerous world.
Speaker 2: Whereas, Wow, Michael, thank you so much for your time. I appreciate it very much. Indeed, good on you. Good to talk with you, mate. Michael Schubridge, Founder and Director of Strategic Analysis Australia. See when you remove the politics from these discussions, and I know that's difficult to do. But when you do, when you talk about defense and you then you know, you get down deep into some of these issues. Like it is impressive, isn't it that we've got these nuclear powers and marines coming sometime from America our mate and the UK or other mate. And though they're going to cost you know, maybe half, it doesn't nds's you think, oh, well, that's got to be good. But the fact is that in the theaters of war right now around the world, drones and other things are a thing. Which is why I wanted to ask Michael, why aren't they think for us we make the damn things here? In fact, we make them here, we buy a few of them, but around the world they buy a heap of them. Well, what are we doing that's so smart? And that the point Michael makes, which I think is astonishing, is that they say the world's a dangerous place. And I mean, you look at the headlines today and of course do you think, yeah, well bloody oath, Well, if it's such a dangerous place, why aren't you arming our army Air Force? Why aren't you doing something now? Why do we have to wait a decade for a couple of subs? I'm no genius in this space. But I like to think I've got a bit of common sense and you look at what's in front of you, and I think you're entitled to go huh. It's eleven to ten, it's seven to ten, three one eight seven three is the open line number. I note. The New South Wales Nationals have voted to abandon their commitment to net zero emissions by twenty fifty, a move that will no doubt put pressure on the Libs. The News Corp publications say the motion was placed on the agenda by the Tweed State Electorate Council, with party members gathered at the state conference in COV's Harbor this weekend voting overwhelmingly in favor of dumping the commitment. One member said the motion passed with applause. Game on three one eight seven three just from Queensland, the forensic Crash Unit investigating a fatal single motorbike crash at Pierces Creek north of to Woomba. This is yesterday. As a result, twenty two year old male rider was declared to cease to the scene. Officers are investigating the circumstances of the crash and they're appealing for anyone with information to come forward Pierces Creek Road around ten to midday yesterday on the text line thank you for so many of these this morning, zero force in zero eight seven three eight seven three, Rob says Luke. It's always easier to kick the can down the road until the next election to avoid making hard decisions. Now, well that's such a good point, Rob. I mean, you want people to have a view, make a call, and then will decide in three years if it was a good call or a bad call. And you know what, as I say, and schomo ooh, don't mention Schoma scary. If you have a go, you get a go. I have a go, don't see back. Oh maybe I meet maybe I meet Donald Trump. Maybe I meet him, I mean knock his door down. Hey, Albo from Australia. A couple of questions, no dramas. And if he gives you the I don't know what Donald Trump will give you. Let's say the basle brush. Then how to go Australia. We love you. Then. Look. The problem with defense, this is from Brett and not using drones, is it's led by old warfare leaders who have not come to terms with modern warfare. The old thinking is big ships, big air force, big tanks, drones do not come into their old world plans or thinking. Thank you Brett very much. Indeed, good a Luke. Regarding the discussion you're having with Michael Schubridge, I think Israel has every right to defend itself. That's what they're doing, and they've been threatened by Iran and others for decades. Maybe some of these boffins at the UN who keep calling for Israel to de escalate might want to think about that. Good on you, seev. Hope you will, mate, Kerry, says Luke. When we have someone of the caliber and intelligence of Michael Schubridge, why do we have people like Richard Marles and elbow playing at defending our country? Very good question, Kerry. Now after the news, Stephen Fennick here to talk technology. We'll also get to our remarkablest guardian, Nick Calderson. I want to talk about world elder abuse.
Speaker 12: DA.
Speaker 2: We'll do that as well. Plenty of texts, thank you for them, zero forurseing zero eight seven three eight seven three, Luke, Donald Trump is a shining example of what happens where the can stops being kicked down the road Ross, thanks so much for getting in touch. The news is.
Speaker 1: Next across Australia. It's back to weekends with Luke Grant.
Speaker 2: Hello there, thank you for tuning in to weekends on two GBN for BC Hope Sunday is splendid where you are on this fifteenth day of June. One three one eight seven three is the open line number. Look, I didn't make mention of this, and I should have because I've been a fan of this golfer for a long time, even though he's perhaps not as dominant as he once was, if even he was ever dominant. But Adam Scott, the AUSSI, Adam Scott has shot a three under round round three. They call the third day and the moving day, don't they? I think they do. So he is three under at the US Open Golf. He's a shot off the lead which is shared by Spawn and Burns with Victor Hoveland two shots back fourth at one under. And they kept making the point that Jason Day had moved a little today. He shot what an issue today? Two over. Yeah, he's five over the card. Tough course, but Adam Scott one off the pace there running effectively third because two players are sharing the lead there go get them one, three, one, eight, seven threes and ombos I mentioned before the news today's World Elder Abuse Day, and we have to do more on this. We really do a touched on this story yesterday. The Council of Aging Australia have had a bit to say about this. These statistics are certainly disturbing. More than one in six older Australians experience what they called elder abuse and tragically, over sixty percent of them don't seek help because they're scared of the potential retaliation or not being believed. Can you imagine any other cohort coming forward and having a complaint or noting mistreatment or bullying and simply because of the cohort that you're in, you think, oh, well they're not going to believe me. I'm an older Australian. That's disgusting. Now coda. The Council of the Aging is calling on the Federal government to ensure a new national plan includes clear funded commitments. They want to see National Plan to End the Abuse and Mistreatment of Older People twenty twenty four to twenty thirty four implemented to solve the problem. Let's find out about this I'm delighted to say the acting chief executive of KOTA is Corey Earlham, who joins me on the line.
Speaker 13: Get a Corey, Yeah, Luke, thanks for having us on.
Speaker 2: Not at all, mate, nice to talk to you. It is disgusting. It's a horrible way to look at our society if we have put older Australians in the majority in a position where they believe if they call this stuff out, they'll either they'll either have to do with retaliation or they won't be believed. That's horrible.
Speaker 13: Yeah, look, it really is, and it has some devastating consequences. Not only can they be physically harmed or that mental health can be affected, but it can even lead to premise your death and financial devastation.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So when we define, if we even define elder abuse, it doesn't have to be physical ICM.
Speaker 13: No, it doesn't.
Speaker 14: It can.
Speaker 13: Financial abuse would be coercive control. And then of course it can be that physical abuse, and unfortunately it often is at the hands of somebody close to them, a family member or a friend.
Speaker 2: Now, I think many people might expect this is a sort of behavior you might see in a general accommodation setting. I don't want to say, but I will an age care facility or to like, but this could happen at home, surely, Yeah, and it.
Speaker 13: Does happen too often at home. The New South Wales Aging Disability Commission today released there stat saying that thirty percent of the calls that they get are about elder abuse. That's quite a large amount that's coming through to them. And as you said before, one in six old Australians will experienced some form of elder abuse in their life.
Speaker 2: What do you think government need to do? You're calling for them to do more. What do they need to do?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 13: Look, the really important role that government can plays raise awareness and we've seen lots of state territory governments do that today as part of the Awareness Day.
Speaker 14: But at the.
Speaker 13: Central government, we need to make sure this new place and that's coming out to replace the current one, will fund the services on the front line, and especially for older women, because they're often invisible inside either domestic violence or age care systems when they are experiencing that later in life's domestic violence.
Speaker 2: We've got this thing. I don't know how we got here, but this thing in Australia. I think the indigenous culture has great respect for elder or senior members of it. But I've called this out for a while. I just think it appears to me that ageism is aism that's okay. Now, this is a lot worse than just discriminating against someone in the workforce or whatever it might be. This is the abuse of older Australians. Have we missed the boat there? I mean, is there a way forward where you see that in fact society treats older Australians, older members of it with a bit more decency in respect It doesn't seem to be the case.
Speaker 13: Look, I think if we look at the journey of any of the isms racism, sexism, it always starts with raising this awareness. But then it's also about looking inwards. You know, we find a lot of people have what we call internalized agism, where they take on those negative perceptions of aging and they just don't think or realize it's unconscious the types of things that they do, whether it be an age care worker assuming everybody is deaf and speaking loudly to everybody, or whether it be you know a little bit of inheritance in patience, as we often find with family and thinking that if you're helping out mum or dad looking after their finances, that it's okay for you to be able to dip into that money because you're helping them out. That's all different types of forms of elder abuse and ageism is the start of how we tackle it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excellent, Good on you for calling this out and thanks so much for your time. Corey, good to chat. Thanks very much, all the best. Acting Chief Executive of the Council of Aging Australia, Corey Earlam. Well, I think you know my view and all of that, and I won't be quiet on it because, as I say each time we talk about it, it is disgusting. You have an older person in your life and you think, right, oh, their money is my money, or I'll do what I want them to do. And can you imagine going through life and having to deal with all the things that we have to deal with and you get to the latest stages and you think on this person's puppet, family member or someone you rely on. It's just disgusting. And then please don't walk past and call it out. I mean, we are encouraged to call all the isms out as we should. I'm sorry to have this view, but it seems to me ageism is the ism that's okay. Well, it ain't okay, not on this show, shouldn't be okay, bloody well any word, it's disgusting, it's appalling fourteen and alfter.
Speaker 1: Ten opinions That matter is you can trust and now look grand comments.
Speaker 2: Imagine having a job where you know that each year you just turn up and you get an extra so we read through the week. Anthony Albanesi and other politicians are set for a plumped up pay packed in just weeks, with the Prime Minister's salary jumping from six hundred and seven thousand a year to six hundred and twenty two thousand dollars a year just for turning up. Politicians, department secretaries and other senior public servants will get a two point four percent pay rise from July one, following the determination of the twenty twenty five Review of Remuneration for Holders of Public Office. Yep, just for turning up. The statement issued by the Tribunal on Wednesday noted that the total remuneration increases given in the past year have been relatively modest. Oh that's nice, just for turning up, while the two point four percent pay bump matched inflation. It was under the three point four percent wage price index for the public sector and less than the three point four per cent and four percent increases of ordered by the Tribunal after salaries stalled during the COVID pandemic. Well, isn't that nice just for turning up. Politicians set to get this pay rise include the humble back bencher, going from two hundred and thirty three thousand to two hundred and thirty nine thousand, while Susan Lee gets a boost of ten thousand to four hundred and forty two thousand. Jim Charmers annual pay it goes to four hundred and forty eight thousand, an increase of ten thousand, and capitet ministers up four thousand dollars to four hundred and twelve thousand dollars just for turning up. There's a big debate happening in Australia now. In fact, we're about to get a round table on productivity. You know, the idea of getting a bit more for getting a bit more. But each year you and I sit here having to pay power bills. He can't jump go to the supermarket. You look at every price twice of course you can't bloody believe it, and then the people we elect to make our lives better get a bump of thousands of dollars just for turning up. It's Weekends on two GBN four BC with Luke Grant Sunday Morning. This is a time where we spotlight an Australian who's done extraordinary things. It's Nick caldus Ao. He was rightfully honored amongst the King's Birthday honors announced just a week ago. He's currently the Assistant Commander in Chief of the Abu Dhabi Police Force and, amongst other things, one of Australia's most significant police officers. I'm delighted to say he's on the line from Abu dhby thank you for your time. You must be somewhat humbled, my friend.
Speaker 14: It is. I'm very humbled, Luke, and I'm very grateful. I hope in some ways it's not just a recognition of me, cognission of all the communities, including my own out of the community, the Egyptian community, the copt the community that I'm not only a part of, but I've worked very closely with it. They've supported me out of decades, and I hope it's a recognition of news a class police men and women as well, who spent the best part of four decades, you know, being a part of So I'm very grateful and HUMBLEDT just came out of left field, but I'm very grateful.
Speaker 2: Tell me about how Nick, born in Egypt ends up with the family in Australia.
Speaker 14: My grade in nineteen sixty nine, and I always was a very cold July day where arrived in Sydney and we didn't know anyone or anything, which makes a little more remarkable. I look at where I've been, you know what I've done. I don't know how I've got it. We came and we settled in Maryville initially and then moved around to see me for a little while. I joined the police. And when I'm from there that I think. One thing my father, he passed away many years ago, instilled in all of us is about hard work, doing the right thing and actually caring about people and as you go along in your way, and I hope I've done that along the way. But I look back on it all work and I just feel incredibly blessed to have worked with all the people I've worked with and done of the things I've done.
Speaker 2: Did you ays want to be a copper or was that something that you know, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Did you grow up wanting to be in the police force?
Speaker 14: I did, actually very much so, and all my family expect that I'll do it sooner or later. It took me a little while, but I actually didn't seek I was tall enough, and in the late seventies and early eighties there were height requirements for new stuff. After weeks when I finally got up there got some went into Crease Headquarters that in what used to be the Avery building in College Street. I was tall enough. There was no problem. I was actually too skilled. You wouldn't believe that now.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you've you've got to you've got to be got to make yourself strong. That's what you've got to do. Your need food, don't you That's yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah now. And then one side flight obviously I'm in and the class that I went to, the class one set of nine. We're just fantastic and we're still in touch, most of us, and Jez renions.
Speaker 2: Jeez, in all the work you've done, it's it's you know, it's a bit like talking to a footballer and asking them their favorite performance. But you've been you've worked in the homicide squad, obviously involved in some of the most complex, high profile murder investigations. Is there one that not necessarily sticks out because you know you've got the job done quickly, but was perhaps complicated and required excellent policing to get a result. Is there is there one that you particularly reflect on.
Speaker 14: That's a good question. I'm a bit loath to sort of seeing one out, but I guess the one that took the longest and was in many ways satisfying to resolve was the murder of John Human, the member of Parliament, which took seven or eight years for us to get a conviction, and then another seven or eight years where they appears all the way to the High Court. Was convicted, he sentenced to life, never to be released, and it's made doubt in my mind that he did it, and that he was planned an inquiry, a law commission if you like, into his conviction, which was essentially an inquiry to what we said and did fifteen years before. So it was quite torturous, and that it was I never heard any of my teammates say, look, it's too hard. I want to get out. We're all stuck to the task. We all stuck together and among my closest friends, and I'm really proud of all of them and the fact that we've stuck together and got the job done.
Speaker 2: I know this, it's probably a bit of a whole would thing. But Nick, how do you stop something like that, which I guess to some extent becomes an obsession? How do you stop it overtaking your life? Can you actually do that? Because you end up living and breathing this thing, don't you?
Speaker 14: You do, and with the real danger of that. But I think I've had over a decade in the homicide squad, and you do learn to sort of not compartmentalize, but workers work on his own family's family, and you try and not let it intrude on your thoughts while you're with home and family and so on. I think most of us are pretty good with that. But this was quite significant, look because it was described by the sentencing judge Justice Dunford's a political assassination man who was killed not because of what, you know, anything he did, but because of simply who he was. And it was pretty clear that the fellow who killed him from, you know, was his political opponent and wasn't going to get anywhere in you got, and so you thought, okay, I'll thought that out.
Speaker 15: You did.
Speaker 14: It was quite tragical.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was. Yeah, I'll ask you quickly. I'm kind of uncomfortable, but I want to I remember a number of colleagues, might even include me here at this radio station, thought that you were the perfect appointment as police commissioner. You decided to step away and pursue something different. Can you look back at that fondly? Do you look back at that with frustration? I probably shouldn't pry because I had great respect for you, but I want to ask you that, mate.
Speaker 14: I appreciate that. You know. That's a good quesse. There's no no disrespect man, and I'm not offended in any way. Look up, only thirty five years commissioner at the time, ender scip you only got another four or five year contract. If community wasn't going anywhere and one was being offered all sorts of things, I've decided it was to go. I don't look back with any sense of frustration. I've said in the book I've written, I regret nothing. I moved on I made a decision consciously not to stay in Sydney once I got out, would I shoulder was never really me. I took on the leadership role and we investigate United Nations investigation in the chemical workers in the area, and then a bunch of other things, obviously think in the world, conditioned the military source side, and I'm now working with Ada Dabi police in the United around and Emirates, and I'm quite proud of that. So you just you move on, you look ahead. That's been you know what our family does. We left things behind in Egypt as well. You just have to look ahead, do as you know as well as you can with whatever you've got in front of you, and enjoy life, which is what I hope I've done.
Speaker 2: Wow, your work as the Royal Commissioner in the veteran suicide is Look again, it's a silly question, but I spoke to you during that process. I could just sense, and you don't need me to say this, but I could just sense how important you knew it was, and you work there is exemply. But I wonder if we've actually met your expectations in the way we've dealt with things.
Speaker 14: I think it's too early to tell whether the Law Commision has had the impact that everyone wanted it to have. The government very quickly responded, in fact that you had record time because they're working. That's how important it was. Except one hundred and four one hundred and twenty two recommendations, including the main run of establishing the body that monitors welfare and reports publicly. We're working on all of that now, so I'm optimistic about the future. I'm being accused of being an eternal optimist, but it was really important work. It was definitely hardgoing that there was a lot of sadness really that I am the stuff that even we had a welfare regime in place for everyone. But the thing that struck new because the similarities between the problems in the military and law enforcement and emergency services is startling. It's exactly the same problems. I've had a bit to say about that. I was granted a meeting with there were Police Commissioners of Australia and New Zealand through RAMSPAR and we're this customer full in frank discussion and we're all doing bits and pieces in terms of welfare and research. I'm trying to view with these problems, but I won't go over it all again. But when we finished the Law Commission, in the closing address, I did say that this has been a national disgrace, how we've treated our veterans and serving members, how we've taken it along off the ball of society. Our media and the political class did not pain enough attention the fifty seven inquiries that preceded US seven hundred and seven recommendations, most of which were not acquitted fully. And it was in plain sight anyway, we're there now, we've had the inquiry, We've highlighted the problems. We took an under usual approach. We decided to talk to the media and do as much coverage as we could get it all out there, basically, And a lot of people from the legal fraternity felt that they were uncomfortable with that. It's a precidented for the Royal Commissioner, a sitting royal commission to say so n us and do so much with the media. But you felt that the only way we're going to achieve real lasting change was to actually bring all the problems out into the sunshine and let them be dealt with a name and deal with hopefully. And I hope and pray we've done that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, you were brilliant. Brilliant. You're the assistant Commander in chief of the Abu Dhabi Police Force. So what does work look like? How different is it to the days when you were operating in uniform in New South Wales.
Speaker 14: It is very different obviously culturally and every other way. There's some really incredibly clever people here in the police, leaning government generally, and I think I'm beginning to recognize after only a couple of months that that actually much more advanced than Australia in many ways in terms of use of technology and other ways they're dealing with things, and they're very open minded, which is what attracted me to the role, and I'm very grateful and again humbled to be asked to play this part. I'm bringing a different perspective, I guess, to the way things have done. I'm bringing the international connections that I'm happy to build over the decades to bear and it's going to be a very interesting few years ji a couple of years while i'm here. And again my father has taught me to don't move on until you've made your mark, and I hope I will make my Marqi. I'm certainly not very it. So I played some small contribution in their revolution here and I really hope to build the connections between the golf and the air countries and Australian law enforcement more strongly than they have been in the past.
Speaker 2: Well, Denck, we side this partner sound out to talk to remarkable Australians and you're certainly one of those. Nick Calder's AO, congratulations and can I get to say Nick, thank you for everything you've done, not just here but all around the world. An exceptional human being and we value the opportunity to talk to you and I wish you well.
Speaker 14: Thank you very much, Luc, and thank you for your continuing support of those in uniform make military and police and emergency services. It's been fantastic. I just I'm really grateful to you for thinking of Thanks.
Speaker 2: Not at all, Nick Caldice outstanding, all the best mate, and plenty of feedback, just decoing everything that I've been saying. A bit of a fanboy moment for me, because I do you think he's remarkable And look on the back of that chat to Nick, New South Wales Police legacy and collaboration with seven Australian Police Legacies have launched National Police Legacy Day to celebrate the important work done by the nonprofit charities around the country to support police officers and their loved ones. The newly established National Police Legacy Day observed annually on the seventeenth of journe It aims to bring attention to the difficulties faced by police families left behind after tragedy, the significant financial strain and emotional distress, and challenges reldded to the family structure and daily life. This National Police Legacy Day will feature a variety of activities, community events, fundraising efforts and a call to illuminate buildings around the state in a blue light. In the evening. The opera house sales will be blue in Sydney and Premiere. You've done well there, tick, So you'll see that on the seventeenth Tuesday. And when you see blue, we'll hear about this. You'll know, wow, got to get behind that. We thank all police all over the country for their service.
Speaker 1: Now on weekends talking technology with Stephen Finnick from tech guide dot Com. TODAYU now at Harvey Norman save up to thirty percent, plask ten percent in bonus gift cards on Windows eleven computers over five hundred dollars Buffer end Sunday. Yeah, if you've got a question for Stephen Fennick one three one eight seven three, call us now. We'll get you as quickly as we can. One three one eight seven three. And I should mention that if you miss talking to Stephen here, you can always go to tech guide dot com, dot a you and you can click on a think ll the ask Stephen button.
Speaker 2: Now you know you can do that. But ring now so you can have a chat to the grade man. How are you good?
Speaker 16: Luke?
Speaker 17: Good?
Speaker 2: Thank you? After the footy later on we'll be out there mate, cheering on the rabbit O.
Speaker 3: So hopefully you win this today against the doggies. Yeah, well they're down some, but yeah you'll still yeah Latrell and Cammel Graham. I think it's still injured. So yeah, it's sort of we'll see how we go, mate, but I'm confident that good okay.
Speaker 2: Good okay. Apple unveils a new design for all its software platforms and new features for the iPhone and the Apple Watch. So tell us what they've got in mind here. Well, this was earlier this week they had.
Speaker 3: The Worldwide Developers Conference, which is all about the software, and the first thing they did was unify all the names of all the software and there's WOS, mac os, yeah, and they all had different numbers. Now it's all twenty six, which it reflects the upcoming year.
Speaker 2: So they did that.
Speaker 3: They also unveil the new design language across the all the platforms to do so this liquid glass sort of look and feel, so that the actual interface is that the menus and tabs and stuff are now going to be look like they're made of glass, still like transparent, still see content, but you can still access all the all the buttons and things. So it's they're going to adopt that as well for these new OS's. But the iPhone features, there's some new features coming up. One I like his hold assist. So who have been on hold and you're waiting for ages on hold? Well, now the phone will wait on hold for you. So it'll just it'll wait when you get to the front of the line, it'll tell the person, Okay, I'm going to grab Stephen now here. He'll talk to you in a second and then you can answer the call.
Speaker 2: That's one.
Speaker 3: The other one, this is a good one too. Call screening is another thing that they've been introduced, and this base like it says it's like having the secretary outside your door answering your calls right and if you don't know the number, you can sort of send it to call screening. It'll ask the person who about what do you want to do, and the person will be responding and you can read it in real time what they're saying, and you may may think, okay, I'll answer this call, or or you know, it could be a scammer.
Speaker 2: Trying to scam.
Speaker 3: You could be a telemarketer. If you don't know the number, it's sort of got you back there. And the other one too is live translation. So if you're talking in another if you're talking to someone in another language, say you're in Paris and you want to book a restaurant and you can't speak French on the call or on a message or FaceTime, you're able to speak in English and then it'll translate to French for them, and then they'll speak their response and then translate English for you in real time. You know how you can send an email and if you don't, you think you want a bit there you can understand you. I wonder if you can untranslated. If you're having a blue we down have a table for you, sir. Well, you, my friend, are a complete don't do that. Yeah, I don't think maybe, I don't think that features enabled just yet?
Speaker 2: Right when when we see this stuff? Mate, Well, there's going to be.
Speaker 3: A public beta from July. So if you want to sign up early and be one of the first to try it, and then you can report any bugs, you can do that. But will sign up go to the website. You go to the website on your device, so if it's your iPhone, go to the website on your iPhone and it'll download this little piece of software. Then it'll restart your phone and then the new software will be there ready to load.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But it's what's called a public beach, public beta, yeah, which is something we used to do in the old days. I thought we'd moved on fair enough.
Speaker 3: This is the beta program, yeah, okay, but it will be officially available around the time of the iPhone seventeen comes out, which is mid September.
Speaker 2: Now I didn't get sixteen. I think I think fift. What have you got?
Speaker 3: Show me your phone?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you at a glance.
Speaker 3: Have you got the dynamic island at the top of.
Speaker 2: The little loop?
Speaker 3: I think I think you got a fifteen.
Speaker 2: I'm going to how long you had it for?
Speaker 3: Well, tell me how long you had the phone?
Speaker 2: No idea? Okay, I got no idea. Woll that was fire buck?
Speaker 3: Unlock your phone and give me just give me a look at the home screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the fifteen fifteen. Yeah, you've got what model it is?
Speaker 12: That is the Pro?
Speaker 16: Is it Pro?
Speaker 2: Not the Pro Max? That's the Pro and I think it's a Prey. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the seventeen that we've already seen rumors of what it's going to look like. The rumor is that the camera bump on the right, So turn it over. Look at the camera bump, So where the three lenses are. That's going to go across the whole width of the back of the of the back of the fourteen Pro.
Speaker 16: There you go.
Speaker 2: Fourteen.
Speaker 3: That's when they introduced the dynamic island, which is that little.
Speaker 2: Hole at the top. Better be Pro. Yeah, you're due for an upgrade. I think this year then, mate, I am. Yeah.
Speaker 3: If you're listing at home, it'll be the seventeen iPhone seventeen. Yeah, well there's there's going to be yes. So the new iOS twenty six will be on already preloaded on the seventeen.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're beating callers, Paul, your first tack when you help you, Paul, Morning Morning.
Speaker 18: So when I'm thinking of buying a new TV, and quite like the idea of olead, Yes, I haven't read a couple of things about them. One about this concern with burning, Yes, and there's also that they're particularly fragile.
Speaker 3: Not really, No, the old I remember l G, and I've still got this TV. LG had an O lead that really showed off.
Speaker 2: Hang on, did you get one hundred new TVs a year and you still got one?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, this is one that I paid for.
Speaker 2: I bought this one.
Speaker 3: Okay, But the the O lead screen is so it is so thin, and for a time it was a real talk. It was a sort of the point of difference, and LG really highlighted how like its aut as thick as a two dollar coin. It's just nothing and it is fragile, all right, But you know today's designs there over that there looks I think there are about ten eleven millimeters now and they're not.
Speaker 2: As fragile at all.
Speaker 3: To address your other thick concern of burning, now, burning is when you see O lead for a start to understand what it is. It's a self illuminating technology. There's no backlight. That's why they can be so thin. So when a chargers pass through, the pixel turns.
Speaker 16: On or off.
Speaker 3: That's why you get the really amazing black levels because the pixel turns off, there's no backlight to block. It's off. It's black on O lead is you can't beat it. So the burning issue is if there's an image that you say, when you watch a morning breakfast show and they've got the logo or the bottom or ticker on the bottom, that can if you're watching that all the time, it can burn in. In fact, the LGTV that I've got, it's like eight years old, it's burnt in.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to actually trowl it away. It's burned in.
Speaker 3: But the features now like Samsung cell Olead and so to LG and they've got a feature owl called pixel jogging, so that any static image actually slightly moved. So say you go to the home screen, the home screen actually jogs over a couple of pixels and up and down and left and right, so it's never stationary. There's no issue with an LED TV with a BACKLIGHTE right, but yeah, O lead. You'll even see on old TV a screen saver, so if you pour something, it'll then come up with a screen saver, so there's nothing static on the screen to avoid the burning. So no risk of burning nowadays. Bye with confidence.
Speaker 2: They are thank you, Paul. I've got a Mini LED. They are they good?
Speaker 16: Well?
Speaker 3: Mini LED is the backlight, so you've got the LED lights a Q LEAD. You got a q LEAD Mini LED, so the backlights the size of a grain of rice. It's really small so that you get they can light up and dark and different even more precise parts of the screen to get you better black levels, better contrast, better color.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, go meet Greg. How can we help you? Greg?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Hi, Tie Luke, great show.
Speaker 2: Thanks asked Steve a question for.
Speaker 12: Thank you? I Stephen, Look sorry mate, I recently purchased not quite a year, the Swan four K Max cameras and the look. I'll just be trying to be brief, but I have spent hours and hours with the tech support. First, I'll just be sure, but that wouldn't do. The solar weren't charging. So I bought plug in like the C type solar panel that that fixed that. The signal, the Wi Fi signal, some of them don't. When I look at me up, they're not on. They're not low, they're not high, they're not medium.
Speaker 3: So what's your WiFi like? And have you got good Wi Fi already?
Speaker 16: Yes?
Speaker 12: Yes, it's an Archer something model.
Speaker 3: But cameras within the range of the Wi Fi because I know you place your CA cameras outside. Cameras are literally on the outside of outside of your network, outside your house, so you need to have decent Wi Fi to reach.
Speaker 2: Them for a start.
Speaker 3: But if you've got that, then you can tick that off the off the problem list.
Speaker 12: Yes, yes, well I've got them close to you so many files and I actually put them close and still no different, I mean right near them.
Speaker 3: Was there any issue when you were connecting them, when you were connecting them for the first time, was there any issue? Did they connect easily?
Speaker 12: Easily? Turn it on?
Speaker 3: Usually usually you need to and this is getting a bit technical, usually you need to connect it to the two point four gigahertz part of your network. So every network is either dual band or tryband. Tryband. Try band is two point four five and six. Duel band is two point four and five. And there are some routers that actually specify which and which network is which, so it's easy to say I need to connect to that network, So that could be an issue too, unless it's a.
Speaker 2: D like now nowadays.
Speaker 3: A lot of the cameras now dual band, so connects to any band, so do there's no issue with it. Two point four is advantage because it's got longer range. That's why they choose the two point four because normally literally on the edge of your network is where you can pick up two point four mate, Have you ever thought of doing the big reset, reset it all, start it all again, connect everything from scratch and just sort of see if that fixes everything.
Speaker 2: You've done that already?
Speaker 12: Thank you? Take you mate, thee ah through the technicians and that they told me the last time I spoke to on Stephen, they said that you need a Wi Fi extended. Well, I looked at it, I went to where I bought it, and I asked him what's the best This is what I bought. What's the best extender for my archer? And he said, you don't need it because the NVR does not use Wi Fi. It's in the camera. So I've got no idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll give you a tip, mate. I reckon your modem a range extender. You need a mesh network mesh system so like a netgear. All be the Amazon, Eero, Google, Nest, Wi Fi, TP Link have them as well. It's a system that one attaches to your modem. The others are around your house. And actually it's like an extension called for your WiFi consistently across your entire home that I think probably would fix your problem.
Speaker 2: All right, give that a go, Greg. I did that in my place and it certainly fixed all my instantly. Was brilliant good advice from you. Break them back with more. Now, if you want to speak to Steve, you've got to call early, right, So let's say good ay to terrees, good toes. How can Steven help you today?
Speaker 19: Hi?
Speaker 20: That?
Speaker 10: Oh Hi, thank you for talking to me. Look, I'll try and make it quick. A few months ago I bought an Apple Watch yep, and I'm wondering if you can just give me some advice. I've been around the world with Apple so to speak, and The thing is, I get Vertigo and I've been taking not I've been taking Niles for a couple of times, but I don't get it often. But I was told to get an Apple Watch. Now I've been in store and talk to them about the fact that it's meant to call one of my family if I'm on the floor if I've had a fall, but it's not responding. So I went in store and they looked at it and they said, I need to talk to Apple Contact center, Like, just talk to it on the phone. God run in circles. But the thing is.
Speaker 19: In store.
Speaker 10: They told me that the fall detection in the Apple Watch is I got the upgraded one which was going to do all that, but in store they told me that the technology is not quite up there yet.
Speaker 2: Really, well, look what we're going to run out of time?
Speaker 3: Fall?
Speaker 2: By the way, I picked accidentally the other day. My watch picked it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: I jumped off.
Speaker 3: I jumped off a ladder the other day and my hand hit the desk and it said, oh, yeah, you've had a fall. I'd say, Well, for them to say that it's not quite there yet, is is wrong? Really accurate and they shouldn't be saying that about their own product for stuff. But I'd recommend just restoring the watch and comparing it to your phone again. And if it's not picking up your falls, then there must be something wrong with the device itself. So and you can try other brands. Like I've said, you need to have a Samsung or an Android phone. For Samsung's watches, they have full detection as well as to others. But the Apple full detection I understand is pretty accurate. I'm surprised it's not working.
Speaker 2: Good luck to read. Lilyn wants to know quickly. I bought an iPhone sixteen. Well I get the new software update it's coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well the iPhone the new software will be compatible all the way back to iPhone eleven.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, so I can keep my forte of course you can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can get the new phone.
Speaker 2: Trying to spend money.
Speaker 3: No, no, you don't have to get let's make exactly, you don't need to buy a new phone to get the new i iOS. It's compatible iPhone eleven on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Good to see you mate, good luck this afternoon. Thanks Luke. After the footy, mister Fennick with his mum will be there cheering on the Bunnies tech Guide dot com dot a U S seven All right back.
Speaker 12: In a second.
Speaker 1: Across Australia, it's back to weekends with look Grant.
Speaker 2: Hello there. I hope your Sunday morning's superb at the fifteenth of June, and it's good for you to tune in. One three one eight seven three is the appen line number. The text is zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. You can email me too at two GB dot com, FOURBC dot com dot A yo. What are you going to do? Is click on the feedback. I can't, are you? I don't think we even refer to Jim Junkie. It's so two thousand and fifteen ish but a Sydney. Jim's controversial dress code rules, which ban women from wearing short shorts, boob tubes what and one shoulder tops? Oh what about the poor people with only one shoulder That's wrong, have come under fire, with members claiming the guidelines are overbearing and sexist. Members of this gym at Camperdown have been put off by the rules the fact that they're constantly played on TV screens throughout the gym. So not only can you not wear a boob tube. I wonder if that applies to women as well. See what I did there? Not only can you not wear a boob tube, yet you're reminded about the fact that your face is being rubbed into it. Yes, I said that women and men's clothing are displayed with We're not still having women's and men's clothing?
Speaker 17: Are we?
Speaker 2: Shortly? It's isn't it? Just clothing? Women's and men's clothing displayed with chicks or crosses on a loop? But there isn't much difference between the approved and unimproved women's shorts. This is a story in the Telegraph today. As well as short shorts, the gym has vanned crop tops, one shoulder, crop tops, and the aforementioned boob tubes. Hey tell you what I had the other day? You know those the tubes? Are they tubes? Twbs? How good are they? I haven't had them since I was young, so I haven't adding for a few weeks, all right, thirty bloody years. Feel better now and they're very nice, very nice. Okay, back to me. For men, muscle singlets that reveal too much back or chest are also prohibited. This is unbelievable. The gym z owners Michael Wood and Paul Vella, said the guidelines were in place to maintain the family friendly environment. Our guidelines require appropriate wear that ensure safety during equipment use and maintains our family friendly environment, serving ages fourteen plus with an on site crash. The rules have sparked fierce online debate, with gym goers labeling the rules strange and sexist and questioning why they're displayed so prominently throughout the gym. It's almost like, sh don't wear a boob jube, but don't tell anyone. I mean, they've got to make it out there. Well, you know what, it's their business. They can do what they want. Surely. Oh. I was originally outraged like the rest of you, but I'm thinking good on them. And you know what, if you've got to go to the tube, if you got out of the gym wearing a boob tube, then that's just not the gym for you. There's not like there's not just one. There's a few of them. Anyway. I just thought you'd enjoy me talking about that. Perhaps you did, or perhaps you were long gone and which could come back. More than one hundred and seventy people have been arrested during the Police Transport Command's latest campaign targeting transport network of fenders, bringing the total Operation war Reta arrests to eight hundred and thirty three since its inception last year. Operation war Reta was established to target violent offenders using Sydney's transport network and those committing offenses on public transport. Since the launch, officers of later total of fourteen hundred and seventy four charges as a result of this. Do you feel safer on public transport? I wonder they always have these incidents of note. Twenty past midnight on a Monday, police were called to Argyll Street, Paramatta following reports of a stalking incident. Officers responded. They were told a seventeen year old girl had been followed from Paramatta Railway station by a man who allegedly inappropriately touched her. Operation war Retah officers arrested a thirty four year old man in Paramatter a few weeks after It was taken to Paramatta Police station and was charred refused bail. He appeared before Paramatta Local Court June five. He was further refused bail. He'll reappeared before the same court in July. So that's a pretty significant outcome, But I think the bigger point and good on police. We'd certainly appreciate the work they do, but I just wonder if you, as a result of that, feel safer. The divisions in the US have been on full display today. On one hand, patriotism, pageantry, and all things red, white and blue were on show to military parade celebrating the army. The US Armies two hundred and fiftieth anniversary. Seven thousand troops and tanks, both new and old, rolled through the streets of Washington. Instrumental versions of rock music from artists including Van Halen and Metallica. The parade was requested by President Donald Trump himself and who led a US Army enlistment oath.
Speaker 7: And the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God, Congratulations, Congratulations, welcome to the United States Army.
Speaker 17: And have a great life.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much, have our great life.
Speaker 2: He then addressed league ceremony, where he hate praise on the history and on the future the military.
Speaker 21: No matter the obstacles, our warriors will charge into battle. They will plunge into the crucible affire, and they will seize the crown of victory. Because the United States of America will always have the grace of Almighty God and the iron will of the United States Army. Congratulations to everybody.
Speaker 2: We love our country.
Speaker 7: We've never done better. Thank you, God, Bless you, God bless the Army, and God blass America.
Speaker 22: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, demonstrations organized by a group called No Kings, which kicked off ours beforehand in major cities including Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and even Nashville. Demonstrators poured onto streets and parks to decry Donald Trump as a dictator or would be king, and to criticize his use of military force to curb protesters. It follows a week of increasingly violent clashes between protesters and authorities in LA in response to immigration raids. The situation in LA has escalated. I'm told again today, as someone said earlier in a text message, Donald Trump is the result of someone not continuing to kick the can down the road on three one, eight seven three. Plenty of news about today related to artificial intelligence or AI. Have you got involved in this? I wonder? The Prime Ministers visit the Seattle headquarters of Amazon, where he announced the tech giant is pledging to lift its total investment in Australia to twenty billion. I wonder what will power the data centers that Amazon intends to have here. Someone made the obvious point earlier in a text isn't funny? Look how when there's a war going on they seemingly target oil and gas storage. You never hear them talk about air raids over solar panels hashtag. You know the rest. The extra money will fund the expansion of its data centers in Sydney and Melbourne and underwrite two new solar farms in Victoria one in Queensland. They help generate the huge amounts of energy required because even when the sun doesn't shine, I'll hang on. And there was a story in the Nine Papers today saying the number of students caught cheating in HSC assessments in New South Wales has doubled over the past five years. Doubled. Data from the state's Education Standards Authority shows more than one thousand malepractice offenses recorded last year. Major reason kids using AI. We have AI here at two GVN for BC. I think what we use is called Gemini, Google's Gemini. It does make work a little easier and there's plenty of fun stuff you can do with AI, although I've never done that. Nelson, you wrote this, what fun stuff have you done with AI?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 2: Really? AI Tiedeman to wear a boob tube to the gym. Oh asking silly questions? Nice save. I don't know if you use AI, if you've had an experience, I imagine given its the beginning of the whole thing. It's just all very basic stuff that old make Google might have done in the old days, remember when Google was a thing back in the day. You type in best robot vacuum, I have one of them, hopeless. I'm sure there are good ones, and it gives you a list. The first doesn't are sponsored. They give you the same recommendation. Ah, it's a good one. Then you finally get down to the one that is probably good. Anyway, if you're an AI user, keep in touch. In fact, ask your AI thing to send me something. On three one eight seven three we mentioned yesterday it spent some time with Craig Bennett talking about Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. So many wonderful songs. I don't know if you have a favorite. I didn't know that I did until I started to listen to all their songs again just a few days ago, and I came up with this. This is God only knows. That's the Beach Boys. God only knows now. Hans Zimmer, who was responsible for some great music of movie tracks, he considers that a perfect song. And if that's not good enough, Paul McCartney considers that song to be the greatest song ever written. It's a big rap, isn't it. Thank you, Kerry. I'm glad you enjoyed that as well. Good I Luke I went to the doctor, says Linda. The other day. She's using AI to take her notes during consultation. Okay, Ben says, I thought Artificial Intelligence was a song by John Kayle. I see it? Thank you, Ben, I nearly said it one three, one eight seven three get a Stewart.
Speaker 15: Oh good, here's it going?
Speaker 2: Yeah good mate?
Speaker 16: How are you?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 23: Good?
Speaker 2: Good good.
Speaker 13: I just wanted to talk to a bit.
Speaker 24: I've been using AI since probably for about a couple of years now, and so I'm a podiotist. I run a business for myself and I use AI quite heavily. And from what you said, you're saying it's you know, you can sort of use it here and there for some of the basic stuff, but some of the things that you can actually do with it, it is it is just so elaborate. So I've got to do things like the NDIS reports and things like that the clients, and you can actually go in to if you've got the premium subscription, you can go in and set up what they call like a GPT.
Speaker 3: And AI is.
Speaker 20: Incredibly good at knowing basically more than you do, and so it knows all the correct jargon to use that kind of thing, and so you set it up in the back end with the right prompts and the right everything in the back end, and basically I can go in and write and report and it basically will prompt me what information it needs. I feed at all the correct information and it can.
Speaker 24: Write a very good report, very consistent among different types of reports, and follow a very specific pattern. And this is something that I use to help write my reports. And it's more consistent, more thorough and.
Speaker 2: How much time does it save you?
Speaker 24: Oh, look, doing a report like that if I was to do it myself. Now, admittedly I'm not very good at basically at writing right, so it never happening. So for me to do something like that it might take me about two hours to write a pretty decent report.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 24: To use chat GPT, it took me a while to set up correctly, but once it's set up, I can do a report in about ten to fifteen minutes.
Speaker 13: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The part I was making stud was that I think people have not completely certainly not embraced it as much as you have. So for the majority of us who aren't writing these detailed reports, it's here's four pages, please make it two paragraphs. And I've tried that at work. I just think and I'm hopeless or I'm reluctant to cut too much stuff out. So when I get four pages into two paragraphs, there's too much missing. So I've just got to refine the way I use it. I think most people would be at the stage where they might give that a go, But to think that it can end up where you're using it is extraordinary. If you can turn two hours into ten minutes, then that means that you can probably help more people, and that makes you more productive. That's got to be a great thing.
Speaker 13: Oh.
Speaker 24: Look absolutely, and I mean look, it goes further than that. So I use a practice management system, and if you understand what an API is. So most of your software that you use, they have an API which back ends into your practice management system. And I actually use TOPT with no coding knowledge to make custom programs that heavily cuts down my administrative work. So I basically can back into the program it has as a like a what's a coding script is called Python, so it's just the language, and it's got a total webi front end, so it's like logging onto any web page and it looks great. And you can make these things that totally interact with the software that you use, pull out all the information that you need to manipulate all the data that you need.
Speaker 20: And something like that.
Speaker 24: One particular bit of software that I needed and it was more database management. But if ilder to do it manually, it takes six or seven hours, and that can do it in about five minutes.
Speaker 2: Wow, Well that's that's huge. That's huge, mate. I've got to go, but you I'm glad you rang and told me all that. That's remarkable. Nice to eat from Stewart, have a great day. On the other hand, Paul says Luke, I asked AI or Gemini for last night's a lot I number I got none. AI stuff you well, they last there poor but yeah, fair enough. It's eleven twenty nine. Some amendments made to the Family Law Act this week. They'll apply it to former couples who are about to commence or are at the start of divorce proceedings. Under the new law, judges will now play a role in deciding who keeps the family pet. The corps will assess factors around who actually cared for the pet, including who walked it, fed it, and took it to the vet. Means you can't just say the dog's mind because he paid the adoption fee or whatever. There's been a suite of other changes made as well, including new rules around property division, family violence, financial transparency. So what does this mean? Let's find out more. The practice director at Bruin, Abrahams and Barricat Family Lawyers, Katie barricatte joins me live on the line. Katie, thank you so much of your time, no problems, Luke, good to be here. Thank you. I don't imagine this is all about pets, but we probably need to start. Their pets will no longer be recognized merely as property, but as companion animals. Is that correct?
Speaker 11: That's correct. Yeah, you know, previously animals were just treated as if they were the same as a as a bank account or a piece of furniture. Now there's been this change, you mean that pets are really recognized to the important role they now playing in families. What it will mean is that a court, a family court can make orders for one party or another to have the care of that pet moving cars.
Speaker 2: Is is that something that's been long called for? I mean, you see this first star by don't so from you from more in form view. Is it something that comes up along?
Speaker 11: Look what comes It comes up pretty often and I'd say it's coming up, you know, more and more. I think post COVID, I think, you know, rising in pets in our in our communities is yeah, court, that's come up more and more.
Speaker 5: And I think that.
Speaker 11: We do see circumstances where pets really ship. Custody of pets is shared, and they might move with with kids between two households. That's not something that the court can make an order about. Now they simply can consider, you know, which is the better home for that pet to live with?
Speaker 20: Moving forward?
Speaker 2: Goodness me, tell to me about the changes regarding property division outside of the pet obviously, are there are there wider changes.
Speaker 25: Yeah, there are.
Speaker 11: Wider changes and they really they are quite significant in terms of particularly in relation to family violence. So what what the Parliament has really recognized now, I guess is the impact of family the economic impact of family violence. So when couples are looking at and when they might consult a lawyer like me as to what, you know, their property settlement should be, it's now mandatory that there's got to be a consideration of if there has been family violence and the economic impact of that on both party's ability to make contributions during their marriage and also moving forward how it impacts them.
Speaker 2: What about not paying child support? I think I read somewhere that might also count in all of this.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, it will, and certainly there is you know, that's a really significant problem that we find in family law all the time. So you know, the family violence now is seen to be you know, economic abuse, so you know, restricting access to one party's you know, access to income bank accounts.
Speaker 25: Also their ability to work, their ability.
Speaker 11: To you know, take promotions as you know, throughout their relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just general advice if I might on divorce, when should couples consult lawyers after separating. Is that is that when it's agreed that there should be a divorce, or prior to that, I imagine is better safer.
Speaker 11: Look for a lot of people, a lot of clients, I see, they might come in and have just one initial discussion with a lawyer very early on, and then you know, we can provide them with the information they need to then go and negotiate with their spouse in a very amicable way. I'd say the sooner the better, get that advice. Understand the Family Law Act, Understand you know your rights, and you know, for most people you'll then only need a lawyer to help you document an agreement. You know, something like only two percent of separating couples in Australia actually end up anywhere near a courtroom, so you know your best chance of avoiding court is probably getting the advice to need quickly.
Speaker 2: That's remarkable you're telling me, Just tell me that two percent figure.
Speaker 11: Again, only about two percent of separating couple end up within the in the family court. So the vast majority of people can manage to work it out, you know, with themselves or with lawyers assisting or a mediate but obviously, the family court and the cases that end up there are the ones that get a lot of press. They're the ones that take up, you know, a lot of a lawyer's time, but most people don't.
Speaker 14: Need to be there.
Speaker 2: And Katie, your listen wants me to ask you, at what point does a de facto relationship become involved in these matters?
Speaker 11: That's that's that's a tricky one. So well, these these these changes apply to the facto and married couples, so no difference there. So you know, if you're a victim of family violence in a de facto relationship, all these amendments are going to apply to you. The new changes around pets also apply.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the practice director at Bruin Abraham's and Barrickette Family Lawyers. By the way, they're online at ba B Law BAB Law dot com dot au bab b A b bab Law dot com dot au. Katie, thank you so much for your time and your expertise. Appreciate it very much. Thank you, good bit chat, have a a terrific day twenty five to midday.
Speaker 17: And now travel inspired thanks to Inspiring Vacations Award winning Hassel Free Travel with Ensuring Experts.
Speaker 2: Now, how about going to a place the sprawling wildernesses, jaw dropping scenery, vibrant cosmopolitan cities. If you answered yes that appeals to you, then it's Canada. The Great White North, as it's often known, truly has something for everyone. You can spot polar bears, save the delights of Toronto's or savor the delights of Toronto's because then I was in Toronto a little while back. How many years ago was nineteen o nineteen eighty, It doesn't matter, given they speak English and live in some parts French King Charles the monarch and center of their econ me exporting natural resources basically Australia with a bit more snow and a bit more nothing else. Our mates of Inspiring Vacations, who are responsor with this program, have plenty of amazing packages to provide you and your family with the ultimate Canadian experience, and given their prices are sweeter than a maple leaf. Well written. Who wrote that was that you or someone in creative It was Nelson Scott, the producer of the show. He wrote that these deals are something you don't want to miss, So let's find out more. Emma Mattingham of Inspiring vacations is on the line.
Speaker 25: How are you, Emma, I'm well, Thank you, Luke, how are you very well?
Speaker 2: Good to chat again? We're talking about Canada. Why would someone want to go to Canada?
Speaker 25: Why would you go to Canada? Where do we start?
Speaker 13: So?
Speaker 25: For me, Canada is all about the natural wonders. You've got the Canadian Rockies, got beans and just the National pass and like Louise, and then you've also got vibrant cities. So our eastern journeys will go to Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec, which is touching into French Canada. And then all of our western journeys will go to Vancouver, which is just a beautiful city. And then almost ninety percent of our troops will offer a cruise up the Alaska Inside Passage or all the way up to Denali's goodness.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. The wildlife we can't forget either. There are bears, not necessarily polar if you go far enough north. But when I was in Toronto some time ago, now it turns out I didn't see any bears. But their wildlife. We'd like to think we've got plenty to offer, and we certainly do, but they don't miss about in Canada, so to speak.
Speaker 12: Do they not one bit.
Speaker 25: I actually think you may find the occasional bet in eastern Canada, but the western side of Canada and Alaska is definitely where you're going through the wildlife. Bears, yes, don't go near them. You've got bears, deers, moose, bison. I'd love to see a bison. And then if you're going to head to somewhere like Vancouver Islands, and you've also got the sea life to look for and the bears hunting salmon, which I think would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to see.
Speaker 2: I agree. Tell us why a trip organized through Inspiring Vacations is the best way to see Canada and Alaska.
Speaker 25: Well, I've been to Canada quite a few times. I've lived in Canada.
Speaker 11: It's a big area, right, So what you want to.
Speaker 25: Do is to be able to see as much as you can without having to stress, right, And that's what touring is. It's about seeing more with less stress. Let us organize it all for you. Inspiring Vacations can do your flights and your touring. So from the minute you book to the minute you land back into Australia. Everything done for you. All you have to do is just turn up and have a good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's important. Hey when you reckon's the best time to go?
Speaker 25: Do you know what? Canada is actually a year round destination. The most popular time to go is from May till September, so that's covering spring, summer, and autumn, but you can also travel there in winter. You've mentioned the Polar Airs, so we do offer trips that go through the Polar Bears. We also have trips that see the Northern Lights, so you don't have to travel to Norway or Iceland or Europe to see the Northern art Lights. You can also put that in with your trip to Canada.
Speaker 2: Rocky Mountaineer rail experience is something I've read about and I imagine, with all that wilderness and the countryside to explore, that's got to be next level, doesn't it.
Speaker 18: It is.
Speaker 25: I've done it myself and it is definitely one of the highlights of my traveling days. So essentially, there's two different ways that you can travel on the Rocky Mountaineer, and I'm very happy to say that we offer both to our customers. So you can either travel from beds down to Vancouver or jasper down to Vancouver. Our trips that have the Rocky Mountaineer will have this silver leaf included, which is the standard way of travel, which is stunning in the first place, but you can also upgrade to gold leaf. Both standards of travel have your meals included and some alcohol, and essentially the train has what they call dome like panoramic glass stone carriages, so you can see the nature going past. And the people who wear it on the Rocky Mountaineer are experts and so they're giving you narrations throughout the day so you know where you're going. You're hearing the interesting facts about the area. And what a lot of people don't know is that you're actually just on the train during the day. You'll get off in the evening to stay in a hotel.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's good. So those glass time carriages are like a glass bottom boat upside down. That's the think that would be. Wow. Tell me about the deals that are on right now at Inspiring Vacations.
Speaker 25: So we have up to twenty percent off site site wide for our ender financial year sale. Plus you can go into the draw to win one of our four incredible touring holidays with flights included. Anyone can enter, but if you make a booking with us, that gives you up an extra five entries.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So the twenty percent off side wide sale is on. You've got subscriber flash deals and you've got the chance to win one of four incredible touring holidays at total prize pool worth over fifty four tours for two with flights included. It's a ripper, but you've got to edit before June thirty. Inspiring Vacations Australia is leading to an operator inspiring thousands of travelers to experience the world at unbeatable value. You can call Inspiring Vacations one three hundred double eight, double six, double eight. Book a trip to their website which is simply Inspiring Vacations dot com. Nice to chat, Emma, talk again soon.
Speaker 25: Enjoyed day. Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah you too, not a problem. Inspiring Vacations. Now it's ten to midday and you'd have to imagine this is every prospective parents worst nightmare, placing a trust in an IVF provider only to have something go wrong. Now the IVF industry has been put under the microscope after Monash IVF became embroiled in its second embryo bungle. Earlier in the week, Monash IVF revealed that a patient in Melbourne had their own embryo mistakenly transferred back to them rather than one belonging to their partner, and it followed an incident in April where Monash implanted a patient in Brisbane with another woman's embryo in twenty twenty three. Now, I don't know how you deal with all of this must be just well, it's obvious to say awful, but it doesn't end here. I think I told you yesterday about a story in the Courier Mail that the you know, the outcomes can last for generations or can be felt for generations. So I wonder what's going on here? Is this a flaw and the process of mont actual let's say, or given the incident or the numbers for procedures that are undertaking that you know, we do we accept that there's going to be something goes wrong. Is the industry right? Does government need to step in here and do more? I simply don't know, which is why I'm delighted to say Doctor E. V. Kendall a bioethicist from Swinburne University joins me on the line. Evie, thank you so much for your time. Hy So, let's have a chat about what prospective parents understand as their rights. Do you think there'll be many people that witnesses or hear about this that might just reconsider IVF.
Speaker 26: I think it's certainly the case that some people are rethinking their plans if they haven't started that IVF journey, and I think part of that is they want to see the outcome of some of these reviews and investigations to have more confidence that their genetic material will be secure and that their treatment plans.
Speaker 25: Will be followed.
Speaker 26: For those who are already on the journey, of course, it's very discomforting because they're already in a situation where they might have a pregnancy or in fact a child, and they might be wondering, is this my genetic child?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're really difficult questions. And for anyone who, as you point out and thank you Abe for saying that, that it's on this journey or has been on this journey, you know, we understand that this might be difficult to listen to, and I certainly take that on board. Does this open the way to a broader discussion about how we operate in this space, that there's enough checks and balances that there needs to be more, that government perhaps has been somewhat less a fair what's you take on all of that?
Speaker 26: Well, at present, a lot of the regulation is at the state level, so we've got inconsistent regulation and legislation regarding IVS provision state by state, and I think a lot of people would rather see a federal regulator so that we have consistency and we have confidence that the protocols are correct and that they are being followed consistently. And I think for a lot of people who have children who are conceived through IVS, they're now faced with that decision of do they go for a DNA test? How do they actually sort of move forward with the uncertainty that these kinds of media stories are bringing.
Speaker 6: Up to them.
Speaker 2: Should they not be DNA testing as a result of each procedure?
Speaker 26: Is that how we're doing things to be that could be overdoing things in general. But I think it's probably the case that quite a few couples and individuals who have used these services might be looking for that reassurance and some may feel that a DNA test is one method of achieving that, and keeping in mind that a lot of the chatter online has focused on it's not just genetics that makes a family, and of course that's true. Genetics is very important for a lot of people because they actually want to have a child that is sharing the heritage of say a mother and a father, or obviously in the same sex couple. Worth looking at people who want to actually both be involved in the creation of that child. They want the resemblance to family members, the sort of narrative of you have your grandmother's eyes. That has a lot of social weight to it. But medically it's also very important because genetics is related to your family history, predispositions, disease risk. So it's not just about kinship, and it's not just about resemblance. It is also about your medical history being accurate.
Speaker 2: Gosh, that is such a good point. Tell me about embryologists. If I've pronounced that correctly, I'm told they're currently they're not registered. Is that right?
Speaker 26: That is my understanding. Yes, So most people providing these kinds of services, like the health practitioners, doctors, et cetera, they are all registered that embryologists are not. There is a lot of talk about regarding whether we should change that situation at presence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and but again if you don't mammy asking an embryologist does in this whole process.
Speaker 26: What role do they play, Well, that's a laboratory position, so essentially they're going to be responsible for handling some of these things, grading embryos, et cetera. And one of the problems that we have with the IVF sector is it does straddle a sort of scientific process that people can pay for and a healthcare practice. So we are dealing with people's bodies their health biological systems, but what we're actually buying and selling is the process and the expertise. So we're definitely not purchasing embryos. We're definitely not purchasing children. But because pregnancy is not a disease and infertility, many argue is not a disease either, and IVS as a process does not actually cure infertility either. So you may go into the clinic infertile and there's a process that you can pay for that might circumvent your infertility such that you can be pregnant and ideally have a child that you want. But you leave that clinic just as infertile as as when you got in, So it's not curing that infertility. So it's not really a treatment. It is a service to circumvent something.
Speaker 2: Doctor E. V. Kendall from Swinburne University, thank you for helping me understand all of this. I appreciate your time.
Speaker 26: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, four minutes to midday Cross Australia. It's back to weekends. We'll look grant gooday, thank you so much for tuning in. We've got there Sunday afternoon on the fifteenth of June. I had a very confronting experience during the news. Yeah. Look, I don't often just stay in the room. I actually leave the room and just well, to be honest with you, I see what the other broadcasters here have been sent for free through the week, and if there's something I like, I just take it. It's an unwritten rule here. I've got all sorts of things over the years. I remember walking to Ben's office fine and walking out with a BMW that was not on the ear yet. Are we what right? Are damn it? We've got the winter wheel happening in two GB. I understand this week and people win stuff with the winter wheel? Is that right? People win stuff with the well they put it right next to my desk and guess what, no winter wheel on the weekend. That's they're provoking me, in fact, that they're suggesting that I might just lose it, in order that they could say, ah, you've lost it. See Lada Powell, I know what you're up to management here joke bloody winter will but on the weekend sort of a clown show? Is this place once again? We're not on? Are are?
Speaker 11: We?
Speaker 2: Just to be sure because this is going to get me into deep you know what I like to core. I'm not going to say that. Plenty of news about today, we'll get them. We get into Jim Haynes at a moment or two. Do people send me interesting texts? Not all of them? Well, I mean they're not they're not nasty towards me, but they are to other things that perhaps here from time to time. Luke, we went on. This is one of the nice ones from Mary. Hello Mary. We went on the gold Leaf Rocky Mountaineer trip a few years back. We were desperate to see a bear. When we went to the lower deck to have lunch, we heard a lot of excitement upstairs. Well, don't really tell me about that. I hang on. When we returned, they excitedly told us they'd seen a bear. They'd taken a picture of the bear on a postcard, and no real bears scene for the whole trip. Ah, what a disappointment. I'd be liking to go there and see. Oh you bring the window wheel in. Let's give away some prizes. Management, hope you got your check book handy weekend. Blake's going to give away money. Just bring Greg Burns to say, can you turn the radio on? He's going to love this. So this is the thing, sorry, this is the two GB thing. Is it happening in Brisbane as well? We don't know see that it's called the winter Wheel. Actually tell Luke Davis, oh you've won number three. Do we get someone to ring and I just give them one of these prizes. There's a couple of grand programs here. I'll spin it up until I can give someone two and a half grand, fifteen hundred, that'll do, okay. The winner is l Grant phone number oh four. I think I'm silly, do you not that silly? Anyway? That starts tomorrow. It'll be great Ben, I'll give away a couple of grands. Then you'll hear a thing. Oh how good are you?
Speaker 23: Ben?
Speaker 2: I love you. It gave me two thousand yay, I love TWGV and the winter will not on the weekend. Now I'm almost giving a reason not to listen. Please don't do that. I want to do this a bit longer. I know I'm getting on. But if I discourage you from listening because management is too tight to give you stuff for nothing, it's all about ratings for me, call me shallow. I don't even jack, and you don't have to anyway. That's it starts tomorrow, Winter will Let's give away some more money here. A lucky listener is seven hundred and fifty bucks. All right, El Grant phone number zero four. I think I'm silly now, Jim Haynes in a moment seems now I'm going to jump from that whatever that was, to something serious, which we've done enough serious stuff we have, haven't we? Now, if you've been in a movie, you've been to a movie theater, if you've had pictures of you or your house and a movie or anything to do with Australian movies. One three, one eight seven three. Jim Haynes is next.
Speaker 17: I'm Australia. I rode with Clancy, I flew with Smithy, I sailed with Cook, I trecked with Kidman, explored with Morson, I held Kakoda, I held to Brook, gamers Ned Kelly and Janda Morrel.
Speaker 2: I am the sound of what did you redo?
Speaker 17: I am Australia. I'm silver stars on a flag that's true blue.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But Sunday Avo, it's Jim Haynes's time. We've been talking about movies, it seems for quite some time. That's because, ah, well, we get carried away with people that want to ring and share their experiences and we love that. And we continue our chat on Australia going to the flicks because it's true. As I say, good afternoon, Jim, it's true. Isn't it to say that we are pioneers in this space?
Speaker 17: We certainly were and still are a fantastic history of Australia in movies, but we also consumed the movies more than anybody else outside of the USA. We were great moviegoers and as you say, there were lots of movies made here and we're just looking for people with the experience of being an extra. I've got a friend who does a lot of extra work, and our friend Sindon too is another one who does a lot of extra work. And they were telling me that, you know, in the movie Australia, there's a ship pulls out from the key and there's this long shot of all the people you know, standing waving them goodbye. And this particular friend of mine, Nick, he said he was in it, I think four different times in the same scene. He just had a gou and put a different uniform on and he was a sailor. Oh wow, he was a sailor and a soldier than an air force and it was all in that same scene. If you've you know, it's a world we don't know about if we've never done it, the world of the extras.
Speaker 13: What's it like?
Speaker 2: What about playing an inanimate object like in number ninety six being well, let's call it an ottoman. Yes, that wouldn't be easy. No, no, it wouldn't. Thanks for support there.
Speaker 17: I'm not sure where you go.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of glad now those that know where I was going. Thank you for move Did you right on?
Speaker 17: Did you have to stand still with?
Speaker 2: Sorry? How are you giving away your package.
Speaker 17: Yes, yes, we've got Luke's Wheel.
Speaker 2: No we din't.
Speaker 17: We don't need a wheel, We don't need this show, just just ring in and with the answers too that weren't answered yesterday last week. And one was the science fiction movie that was made in Brisbane. The some of the locations were University of Technology, Queensland University, the William Jolly Bridge and a factory in Pink and Bar, good old pink and Bar and Churchy which, for those who don't live in Brisbane is the Church of England Grammar School, very famous school, right, And a movie was made using all those locations. It was about a sort of superhero. If you know the answer, you can win a package. That's the perhaps on Center Metal and a couple of CDs. And the other one was made on the Gold Carts and it's I love this. I love this whole series as books and movies. But it begins this movie. Some kids are looking at a painting of a ship on a wall. Suddenly it comes alive. The sea comes into the room and they end up in the fabled land on the Australian Gold Coast. So there and the one for particularly for Sidney.
Speaker 2: This is or for anybody.
Speaker 17: Alvin Purple was the highest grossing Australian movie ever when it came out in nineteen seventy three. It didn't get very good reviews, but everyone went to see it.
Speaker 2: Was it rude? It was very rude.
Speaker 17: It was rude.
Speaker 2: That's why it was rude. And people were in the nude And.
Speaker 17: We talked about the movie. But what record we broke the record of another movie from nineteen sixty six. What was the movie that held the record for an Australian made movie and the amount of money it had made and that record was broken by Album Purple. If you know the name of the other movie, let us know. And if you've been an extra in any of those movies or any any others at all, just to give us a call, give us your experience.
Speaker 2: Nice. One one three, one eight seven three is the number? One three, one eight seven three. Please. That'll leave it to the end, because then we get a million callse we go, oh buddy, how we'll go? No time, which is my fault. But one three, one eight seven three hop on cinemas. Let's talk about some of those you and I discussed at one point. I think the Winter Garden, which is at Rose Bay. I'm sure that's where I went often as as a kid, certainly. And then there was village of Double Bay. I'm going back away now. And then finally there was something at Bondai Junction when Wondai Junction got done up and David Jones was in the same building. I forget what the name of that theater was or what that complex world might have been Greater Union, but I mean something else hot I don't know.
Speaker 17: But the wonderful old standalone cinemas in the suburbs, you know they Randwick, what is it at Randwick? The Ritz the Ritz yep and that's it. That and the Sydney Film Festival uses the Rits. It's they have viewings there. It's a great little spot. It's at a place called the Spot in Randwick. But there's another one which fascinates me. And we started to talk about this, but then, as you said, we had so many calls. There were three cinemas in Mascot. In the suburb of Mascot there was a Botany Empire which was beautiful old Art Deco and they knocked it down, of course. But in Mascot there were three one still exists and it's in Gardener's Road, and I have no idea what it looks like inside, but it looks very derelict outside. It's called the Marina and it's still there. And if anyone knows what the story is and if it's what they do with it or what they're going to do, I don't know. But it's still there. And there was another one on the corner and that's where the Tenpin Bowling is now, and that was called the Rosebury. Now that was interesting. But then down further towards Mascot Shops was the Ascot.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 17: They were all owned by the same family, and what they used to do was they'd show the same movie at the Ascot and the Marina, and they would switch the reels, so, you know, they'd say, they'd have Abbot and Costello on first, and at the other cinema they'd have you know, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis on first, and then they'd switch them over on the same night. Because people were going to the cinema so often. These weren't really big cinemas like the Winter Garden held two.
Speaker 2: Thousand, two thousand. I just can't remember being that bad. It was an amazing Why is it famous, the Windergarten.
Speaker 17: It's famous for being the second, but the first in Sydney cinema to have sound showed the first sound it had. I've got the name here of the system that they used. It was of course something spectrographic. Here it is the first public screening of a talkie in Sydney was the Windgarden and it used the ray coophone sound system right, And it was the tenth of June nineteen twenty nine, and they didn't have the Australian record because the week before a cinema in rock Hampton had shown it, so but certainly the first in Sydney. Now, the weird thing about these theaters in Mascot, just very quick, was that the Rosebery was sort of a reserve, the Rosebery Theater which was in between the Marina and the Ascot and they were all owned by the same same family and if the other two filled up on Saturday night, then they would open the Rosebury and show the same film there as well. Three cinemas in one suburb if anyone has memories of that. And the building is still there but it's now part of the Bowling Alley.
Speaker 2: Right, Glenn's on the line from Brisbane.
Speaker 17: Hello Glenn, Yeah, Hi Louk, how are you're going?
Speaker 2: Good mate? Thank you for calling. You know the movie do you?
Speaker 16: I think so? It was Fastscape, wasn't it?
Speaker 6: And then it went broke here and then they took it to America and.
Speaker 16: It took off or vice versa.
Speaker 17: Oh okay, No, that wasn't the one I was thinking of. But did they make that around those locations?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, they made it in Brisbane.
Speaker 17: Okay, great, well look we'll get your name. Yeah, and I've got lots of packages, so that's great info. But it's not the one. The one I'm looking for is sort of a comic superhero.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, well all right, Next up, let's go to Kathy in Sydney.
Speaker 25: Hi, Kathy, Hello, Now I've got it wrong. I thought you were after the best gracing movie. I was going to say, waiting, right, that's certainly not a comedy.
Speaker 17: No, it wasn't a comedy, and I want you people to get give us. Somebody else said Wake in Friday. A very scary movie and interesting for me because I was living out there at the time where it was filmed. It was actually involved in the in the kangaroo hunt scene because I was an honorary ranger on Kinchig National Park at the time. And yeah, and the funny thing about Wake in Fright was they had a you know, a red carpet opening of the movie in Broken Hill and it was let's say, it wasn't particularly kind to country people. It was all about the horrible things that happened in the bush and people sort of didn't quite get it.
Speaker 2: But anyway, thank you for calling Kathy pat High. Are you really well? What can you tell me?
Speaker 19: Class? Well, when I was a girl, I lived at used to be Blara now it'swand Night Junction, and we were in Grafton Street, which was parallel to Oxford Street. At Oxford Street when I was young, had a pictures here to call the Regal, which became the Metro. Opposite that was the Coronet, and back and along Brontie Road on the way that BRONDI.
Speaker 15: Was the start, isn't that?
Speaker 19: And then there was the one that's still there. I think it's still there, upper wallar in Oxford Street. I don't know if that's still there enough.
Speaker 17: It's certain it's a sign of how movie mad we were. You know that there were all those cinemas in that in that small area as well as the Winter Garden, which you know was huge. So yeah, we were great moviegoers. And if you had memories of cinemas that are still there or that aren't still there, just yeah, tell us your favorites.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Pat very much indeed for calling Lourie.
Speaker 15: Hey, yeah, was by Johnny the movie call They're a Weird Mob.
Speaker 17: That certainly was. And it had an Italian movie star who came out to Walter Kiari Walter. Yeah, yeah, he was a big star in Italy. He came out here. Made the movie as you said, right rightly said. It was by John Ogrady and a very popular book at the time they made the movie. It was the biggest grossing Australian made movie until Alvin Purple.
Speaker 2: There you are, Laurie, don't hang up, made travel safely. I can hear the road noise there and we'll make sure you get one of the packagers. Thanks a lot for calling the show. To all our other callers, don't go anywhere. We'll be back to talk to you in just a moment. Twenty eight to one o'clock. We're here with Jim Haynes. As we are on a Sunday afternoon talking movies and people who are in them and where you went to see them. Let me say good aid to Ronda. First off, Hi, Ronda, can you help us with an answer?
Speaker 15: Hi?
Speaker 26: I believe the Inspector Gadget two movie was made in Brisbane with French Stewart.
Speaker 17: You are spot on. It certainly was at all those locations I mentioned, and it had just a whole swag of Aussie actors and you know who were in work continually from movie making. So yeah, Inspector Gadget.
Speaker 2: Well done, Well done, Ronda, don't hang up, the package is coming your way. Get a Keith.
Speaker 6: Yes, good morning, Sorry, good afternoons, mate, Interesting things about animals and movies. I'm sitting in my land room with my little Mini's just now So Rennie Kirby, who happened to be in the Great Gatsby movie.
Speaker 2: No, hang on, yeh, how did that happen?
Speaker 19: Well?
Speaker 6: I decided I needed to have a companion after my life passed, and my kids said, oh, what sort of dog did you get?
Speaker 12: I said, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean it's just now. Is probably because we've had big dogs. So I thought this little fellow. And the lady who had introduced me to them sent me an email saying, oh, look, I have a friend with an animal trainer and she's looking for a puppy dog to go into to be used in. She didn't say movie, she said in something. I can't remember the exact wording. Anyway, I said, oh, that would be nice. So about a week later I got a phone call from the trainer saying, look, can't come and have a look. So she did, and we went out in the backyard and he's running bearing him mind this puppy dogs what eight weeks old, And she loved him, and she took photographs and footage and she said, I'd like to use him, but it's up to my boss. Okay, that's fine, whatever. Nothing more thought about it. And then a week later I got a phone call from her saying, we want to use him, And she said, and my boss has made the decision, and her boss's basilim and the doors.
Speaker 17: Yeah, and they did. They made a lot of that. That Jeane The Great Gatsby has been filmed about half a dozen times, but that Baz Luhrmann. They did a lot of the shooting out here in Australia. So your dog is a film Remy.
Speaker 2: Hey, Keith, do you allow Remy a wardrobe allowance or anything like that?
Speaker 6: Can I tell you that he was paid? And then when I say he and my understanding is that extras get paid a certain allowance every day. He was paid two hundred and fifty dollars a day. They had him for four They had him for four days. He costs me one thousand dollars back in twenty eleven, so he pays himself. Now I currently have done for the last eleven years, lived in the retirement village. When I first moved here, i'd be walking around within the village because as you get to know the lie of the land, and everybody say hello, Remy, how are you going? And I understanding game on the blank that's got the leaving his hands. My name's Keith, Remy.
Speaker 2: Wow, mate, that is such a that is such a wonderful story. And it turns out you become Remy's handbag almost yes. Wow.
Speaker 17: And they also have food vans when they're on location shooting, so I assume they got special food in is that right?
Speaker 6: I applied the food and the trainer I think actually had to have two pups because of their age. Because they were so young they couldn't well, he'd be picked up at sort of six thirty in the morning and wouldn't be returned home until maybe ten eleven o'clock at night. So they had the two pups. So the second one they got, they had to groom him to look like Remy oh that is and on the shooting schedule down the bone of the shooting the schedule that said, min it's just now is a Remy Kirby understudy.
Speaker 12: Charlie.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that is so good.
Speaker 17: You know, when when kids are in plays, Thanks Keith, A great story. Yeah, when kids are in plays, you know, they have to have two children, and they have to have one then the other because they can't miss too much school, all that sort of stuff. So every child who's in a live play, there are two of them and they have to alternate. But I had no idea. They extended that the canines that they have to have two puppies in case one misses out on school or something.
Speaker 2: Yes, and just in case my dog existing at home. Henry, there's an opportunity for you and I. You want those nice things up by you want more of them, my friend, Hello, stop jumping up and barking, Tim good Et.
Speaker 15: Well, Now, when the music was being filmed in Robertson, they you weren't allowed to go and take your car out of the Robertson area. There was enough party space for extra so they have four hundred extras to do the do the final scenes with the big over there. And when we arrived on the buses from Barrel, we all got off and the first thing they did at about six or seven in the morning was to feed his breakfast.
Speaker 17: And what do we have, Baker, Well, Robertson, they could have given you plenty of potatoes, a great potato growing area down there. But yeah, pretty good for bacon as well.
Speaker 2: Bacon in the making of Babe and did so wrong. It's so right.
Speaker 17: Babe actually forced the supermarkets almost out of business because people stopped eating poor did those of the movie with ridiculous It was a great movie, the first one. The second one was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Babe in the City.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Dennis Gooday, Dennis today a good mate?
Speaker 22: You yeah fine, thank good on you over rother Maruvera and the Page actually, and they had a film studio out there. I think it's called trans of Film Studios.
Speaker 17: Uh, yeah, no, the trans the Pack was up north, but that was a film studio. They made a lot of movies there, The Wake and so on.
Speaker 22: Yeah, we got the nord that they were going to film the scene for Rica Stockade that night. So we all trudged out after dinner and went up there. And it was a scene where Chips Revenue played the part of Peter Lawler was in a pit and they had went and got him out after dark because he was in hiding after the army. He had defeated the people there and so were all the Chips popped down with his bead on hop down in the hole and camera's role and they dragged him out. It was all over in five minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great, Thank you Dennis very much. Indeed, Hi, Martin, tell us your story mate.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I just wanted to say I grew up and could he in the fifteen sixties and we used to go to a theater called the Barrys Barri's Boomerang Theater. It was in an Art Deco style, very similar to the Ritz and it was pulled down the late fifties by the council to build a motel. But I remember going there and right near the surf club. It is down the south end and apparently budding Charles bud ting Will grew up in the area and he used to go there and he was a kid, and that's how he got it. He got his idea to get into movie. W Yeah, So all that's the history of it on the on the history side of the movie. But it's got a picture of the of the it's right near there at the park there down a sudden then, but there was another two theaters. I used to catch a three one forward at Bondi Junction and there was one just boy, you come into Bondai Junction, there was the movie. There was a cinema right on the left there. I SI got a couple of good shows there and there was another good one down on Enzach Parade at Kensington, which I think the Greeklorian Club took over.
Speaker 2: Jim remember them, do you?
Speaker 17: I do remember the old the Castle Risian Club was there and that cinema had been there many years before. I think that's all gone now and prays a concrete canyon now a lot of.
Speaker 2: That stuff with the.
Speaker 17: Trams of the rail and just apartment buildings all the way down. Now it's it's changed so much. But the coronet and the Star were also BONDI way.
Speaker 2: This one from Kristin who says I helped whire the quadrophonic sound at the Ritz Randwick when it was run by the Headley's many many years ago. Thank you, Christian. It's also sent me a link. I'll have a quick look at this, Jim, because there might be some gold in them there hills. And there's also five Ways picture Palace two two two Glenmore Road, Sydney. Well that be Pado, wouldn't it Paddington after the five Streets intersectionion It sits upon five Ways. Cinema started in nineteen fifteen, was rebuilt in twenty nine, run by the Hickey family Tom Hickey Randatives manager Cole Hickey's brother the projectionist, and also he had done much of the electrical wiring. Okay, thank you. They weren't fascinating stuff. I loved how about this?
Speaker 17: A lot of those early in the silent days, they were family businesses, and you know dad would be the projectionist and the daughters would be the usherettes and Mum would play the piano because there was never a silent movie. Every movie had a music score and it sometimes played by an orchestra of forty people, if not then banged out by somebody in the old piano.
Speaker 2: My mate's Indian Runner ducks were used in the film Babe Babe.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I remember the ducks and the mice in Babe do you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 17: Now, I wonder if you've got two hundred and fifty bucks per duck per day. Goodness me, you'd love to write her keep him away from the food van.
Speaker 2: Anyway, home about the ducks who were on two hundred and fifty bucks? Now, where do we go next? Hello? John?
Speaker 16: Oh, afternoon, gentlemen, afternoon. I'd just like to talk about the old Roxy Theater in Parramatta yep in the fifties. What was unique about it? Before the movie started. An organist used to come up like a spiral out of the stage and play them before the actual movie. And his name was Wilba Kentwell and he lived in Castle Hill and he's got a street named after him up there.
Speaker 2: Wow geez.
Speaker 17: Yeah, there were the cremorn orpheum I think had a Riser and some of the inner city theaters did too. Is it The band or the orchestra would get on the platform, you know, when the movie was coming near to its end, and when interboo came, the platform would rise up and they would be playing as they came up onto the stage. Wonderful stuff.
Speaker 2: Good on you, Thank you John very much. Indeed, Joseph our final caller today today Joseph gooday, goody good, really good. You know a bit about the Rich Theater in Randwick, do you?
Speaker 16: That's right.
Speaker 9: I was involved in restore restoration on Parpenter and Joiner and I restored some of the ceilings which was part Deco, and I was on the stage there about I think it was six meters up in the air right well, and the ones and make a new panels to restore it as original.
Speaker 2: Wow. When was that? When did that happen?
Speaker 9: Joseph ninety It was ninety seven.
Speaker 17: It's not that long ago. And a lot of those beautiful plaster ceilings that they don't have the molds anymore. You've got to go up and make one and then take it to the factory and recreate it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Jason, what was it like working in that space. I guess you're doing. It's not just you, but there's people everywhere. Are they working to restore the place?
Speaker 12: What was it like?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 9: It was quite a few people there. And I remember making one section of the ceiling which was finished with the I was making the panels on the ground and then we hoist them up and fix them. I was fixing them into position, and it was made out of kraftwood because the original ones were sort of like soundproofing material which was very sort of porous, you know, and with the age and water had got into certain parts of it and they've built collapsed. But I remember putting some new panels up and then the electricians were enup to do some wiring, and one of the electricians almost fell through one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this idea of worker safety is it has to be said it a recent it's.
Speaker 17: A really modern concept.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Joseph, thanks so much for getting in touch. One of our listeners, Debra, wants to put a shout out for the Roseville Cinema, a great place to see movies. I still remember the piano and organ being played there.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 17: I can't remember the ones in the city that had the lift but I do know a very quick story about a lovely old man who I knew for a long time, Jack, And he was a trombonist and he used to do several cinemas and he was running late and he didn't have time to put on his fancy satin pants properly, and he jumped on. They said, quick, quick, and he jumped on. The thing was going up, and so he's on there, he's in his seat, but he hasn't done his pants up yet. And he was a big man. And as they were coming up, he said, what's the first number? And I've forgotten what I was say that, you know, moon, moonlight serenade or something, And he had to do a trombone solo, and he realized that if he didn't, he didn't have time to do his pants up, and he was going to have to stand up to do the trombone solo right at some point. I don't know how it turned out.
Speaker 2: The trombone you have to move the contragulated, so.
Speaker 17: It's a two hand instrument, so he couldn't hold on to it. He couldn't hold onto his jacks, and so he was risking his pants falling down on what.
Speaker 2: Group of instruments. Does the trombone belong.
Speaker 17: To it's a brass, yes, of course, but the or They had huge orchestras in those cinemas in the in the city, and quite often.
Speaker 2: The organ keep his pants around his brass.
Speaker 3: Well, well that's trying.
Speaker 17: It was either the brass or he's something else.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm going away the week, half the next for a few weeks. Are we going to do this again while we're done?
Speaker 17: Do you know what? We haven't even talked about drive ins? Oh drive because someone made the point. Oh yes, somebody remember the name? He actually conceived it a driving Well, it's one of our on air personalities.
Speaker 2: I know in a former Great Test State of Origin and Premiership winning rugular league player initials MG. You know im he was conceived of Blacktown driving.
Speaker 17: Well, there was Chalora bass Hill, the matrival star, which I have memories of, you know, back in the days when that sort of thing happened. And of course the whole drive in history is interesting because the family could go out and eat and be entertained without having to get babysitters. It was a phenomenon.
Speaker 2: Did they check the boot did?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 17: Trying to smuggle people you couldn't do you know? Oh well, I think lots of people did.
Speaker 2: And is it a g app to think that people drove off with the speaker in the window.
Speaker 17: I did it?
Speaker 19: You?
Speaker 13: Why?
Speaker 2: Actually? How dare you?
Speaker 17: It was so easy to do. And in certain cinemas, in the one in Inverarrell it was so cold.
Speaker 2: Hang on, there was a driving and you're joking? Where was that?
Speaker 16: There was.
Speaker 2: Seventies seventies seven, nineteen seventies. I was even born then.
Speaker 17: Not only did you get the speaker, but you've got a demistera and a heater. Oh my god, well so you had two things hanging off your window. All right, it wasn't great driving store. We're going to do drivings next week. Good to see Jim. You two, that's Kim Haynes. Hey, you don't hear this. Three Often there's been a zebra, a ped zebra, imagine having one of them. A ped zebra which escaped in Tennessee has been found. I wish I could tell you more. We're having look at the detail there, but it's either a zebra or it's a beautifully painted horse. If you've got a horse, please don't paint it. And that was a man in the radio being silly. Quiz time spinal eSEE three questions be hand you to know Saudi Arabia. Just giving you a heads up suffering from headache, saw Nekel storing The solution could be the world's best premium supportive pillow. It's a spinalse pillow.
Speaker 2: You can order them now. It's spinaleas at e dot com dot ao if you'd like to play one three, one eight seven three the Continuous Call team. Next amongst the stars, of course at the Helm is one Iron the Grey. Gavin Pitchford, how are you mate?
Speaker 20: Go on?
Speaker 3: Good look, beautiful day out here, mate, So we're in for a big, big afternoon of footy.
Speaker 17: I'm going the Bulldogs. I think they've you know, lucky Galvin.
Speaker 2: That's to tip the team on top the table. Well done, great stuff. We're going by this week's this weekend's tipsy. How have you been going in your tipping competition? I think I'm going very well this weekend. I have only missed one, but it's only early. Hey, listen, are there any Bulldogs legends nearby that can.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm here.
Speaker 2: That's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Already five premiership winner.
Speaker 2: I know I know when you're walking to that ground you get goosebumps.
Speaker 16: No, I didn't play here.
Speaker 2: Okay, put this well, when Canterbury played at home, even though they don't play at the ground you played at, do you get goosebumps?
Speaker 13: No, it's just good to get there.
Speaker 3: It's just good to be still around.
Speaker 16: Luky.
Speaker 13: I love the Bulldogs, particularly now they've been successful.
Speaker 2: Did you say yesterday on air you've only got ten years to go? What the hell?
Speaker 3: No, that wasn't me, that was Gallon said I'll be dead in ten years.
Speaker 2: That's outrageous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that you will or Galu, No, I will be You'll be gone in July.
Speaker 2: You've seen this story today about Gal and s PW's fight.
Speaker 16: What there's no tickets sold?
Speaker 2: I didn't know it gives Oh, well.
Speaker 14: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm going to talk to one of my friends about this quiz. Thank you, big marn and Gavin, thank you. Thank you for everything you do for this place, whether it's making noises on the air with your mouth today or making noises with buttons through the week with Mark. We thank you for it. We thank you for your service. One eye are the boys coming up soon? Who we got Lynnett? Hih Lynette, good morning.
Speaker 19: Act to it.
Speaker 2: It is afternoon. Is a spinallyse pillow for you if you're clever, repeat, will repeat after me. Saudi Arabia, Saudi Arabia seventy nine and Adam Scott, Adam Scott. Of course there you are, say that we don't need a wheel. Gotta go. Thank you so much to my team Nelson and Michael and Liam and uh, that's a cane. I made three birds dead this morning when I got to work. I'll tell you about it next weekend. Sorry, that's an injoke. The zebra has the name ed. It was lost for a week in Tennessee. We don't know if it was black with white stripes or white with black stripes. That was a delay, apparently, See you next weekend.
Speaker 12: Bye bye,