Speaker 1: Sounds and now a night's Words with Cal Richards. Yes words with Kel Richards, and Kel of course is with us every Thursday night to talk words. And don't forget his fantastic website which has links to all of his great publications. You get a daily missive from him oz words dot com dot au.
Speaker 2: Good evening, sir, good evening, sir. Really nice to be here.
Speaker 1: Now, let me just mention this headline I saw in the Telegraph, because this this this list of the Bougist. And I'm told everyone here says, I've got someone saying to me it's b o u G and it's a hard g. Now I think it's a b o u G. I s t bougist. Francis has heard it, Charlie's heard it. A lot of the younger people here have used it. It's kind of a play on bourgeois.
Speaker 2: I think exactly. Tell us, well, it is a plan on bourgeois. Quickly, Da dashed into the Oxford database, as one does, and discovered they've found it back in nineteen sixty six when it started off as Black American slang, and it was a contraction of bourgeois. So you were bougie. The s the eest at the end, it may well be. The Telegraph added, bogie has been a common expression. When it was first coined in America, it was meant as a disparaging expression, right. In other words, it was putting you down because you thought you were better than other people or whatever. And mind you, not all of the dictionaries agree with that. The Cambridge says belonging to or typical of the middle class, especially in giving a lot of importance to money, education, social class, and in liking or what expensive and unusual things. Mind you, the Urban Dictionary. The Urban Dictionary thinks it's disparaging. The Urban Dictionary says bougie means people pretending to or thinking they are high class when they're really not and they don't realize it.
Speaker 1: Sydney's bougie is hot spots for celebrities.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: So that was the headline they came up with, and I looked at it and I thought, ah, I've got the personal perfect person that running the rule over this one.
Speaker 2: And there's a lovely line here in the Cambridge Dictionary which says, quote oat milk, sawy milk, almond milk, bougie. People like any milk that doesn't actually come from a cow. That's that's being bougie.
Speaker 1: All right, let me go. George's got something on this.
Speaker 3: Hello George, Yeah, John, I know you like your soul music, so it's thought. I I think you're talking about boogie and kel that's correct.
Speaker 4: But the very very well known and much.
Speaker 5: Late seventies soul classified the pit's called Bougie.
Speaker 6: Borgie, and that's exactly.
Speaker 5: They were talking about that song. It's a classic song.
Speaker 1: Sydney's Bougie Bougie. This is Gladys Knight and the Pips from the late seventies. Where might try and find a bit of that if.
Speaker 2: We can, Yeah, that'd be great. Yeah, because and I presume what he's doing in the song is putting down people, because at that time it was definitely meant a disparaging term.
Speaker 1: George's lines are a little bit dodgy, but we got the message. Ye, we walk down and have a listen to that one. Well done, Thank you so much for that. One three one eight seven three is the number word of the week. It's often a word, it's often just a phrase. This week it's a phrase and I'm very interested.
Speaker 2: Out of sorts. I mean, we all are occasionally out of sort.
Speaker 1: Hey, feeling like kell I've been out of sorts?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly like that, older than I would have thought. Goes back to sixteen twenty one, covers a multitude of conditions, both physical and mental. The Oxford that says it means not in the usual normal condition of good health or spirits, that kind of thing. But why sorts now? One theory is talking about being in or out of sorts? Goes back to the early days of printing, when type metal type was set by hand, and you had two cases, the top case with the upper coast letters in and the bottom case with the lower case letters in, and those metal letters, individual letters on metal were called sorts. When your case was getting low, if you've been setting a lot, you were running out of sorts, and so you couldn't keep typesetting because you were out of sorts. There's a nice joke that Benjamin Franklin of all people, makes because he was a printer, about being out of sorts and referring to printer's type setting his sorts. So that may well be the source of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so there you go, out of sorts. Now. Just Brian had this one I'm interested because I've got a young man who I know well, Dave his Dragon Supporter, lives in my area, and I know when he often, usually when someone's dropped the ball on whatever, he goes, Oh, spare me days. He's spare me days. It's a really old expression, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's a very ies of you expression. It goes back to about nineteen sixteen, which means it quite possibly was born in the trenches. It may have begun as a digger expression. There's a brilliant book I've got called Digger Dialects, and I've got to admit I should have gone there, and I didn't go there, but about nineteen sixteen. It was originally it's sort of meant to be in a expression of surprise. But it grows out of the fact that the word spare originally meant protect protect me from injury. Oh really spare me So another words in a oh you know the days again made if this is going on, Oh the days are getting to spare me days was the idea, I don't want all this, don't inflict this on me, Spare me days. So that's what it grows out of.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, all right, what I want to do is take a break, come back in the moment. We've got people on the line who want to talk to you directly. Kel got questions on the text line. We've got emails as well, and I've got one from earlier in the week and one of our programs that I harvested as well, So I'm picking stuff up all week for you, so we'll get a ruling as well. Where's my here it is. I've got the ready to go very good at twenty minutes past ten on three seven three is the number of thanks to George with the Bogie Bougie, that song from Gladys Knight and the Pipsica, A little bit of the little bit of the chorus of that one, have we here? It is? There it is, and they've just adopted it a bit or adapted a bit with bougiists. So there you go. All right, fantastic, Thank you so much for.
Speaker 2: That, John, You and I and all the other baby boomers listening. They've just learned something that we didn't know we have.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, and maybe a few genex's as well. I suspect. Let's go to John. Hello, John.
Speaker 3: Oh kel Hi, John seventy a seventy four IP fan by the way.
Speaker 1: Ah, all right, well all that music would have been played on the Great four IP. Yes, yeah, color Radio four IP wasn't.
Speaker 2: Wise home of the good guys.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're a bit of a character. Back then your voice wasn't as beautiful as it is now. But anyway, as.
Speaker 2: I got it took. As I get older, both visually and verbally, I get closer to George Cloning. It's just the way it is.
Speaker 1: There, you go, all right, fantastic.
Speaker 3: Between Gympie and mirror Borough, they have bees roads signs that are trivia questions on them. I always got the answer, but I could never get the question because the sign was hidden by a bit of tree. The word petreature, petriture. I'm trying. I'm trying to stump you here.
Speaker 1: You want to get there?
Speaker 3: This is like how do you spell it? I know the answer, but I wanted to see if I could get stump kill on it.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm trying to pick it up, So how do you spell it? E?
Speaker 3: E T R I C H O R.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got a feeling. Now I haven't opened up the Oxford yet. I've got a feeling It is the smell of coming rain. It's like the smell of the dust and the coming rain when a rainstorm is approaching. Am I getting close? Oh?
Speaker 3: Mate? A class plus he.
Speaker 1: Didn't open his computer. I can verify it very good, that's what it is.
Speaker 4: I see.
Speaker 2: It's a wonderful word, isn't.
Speaker 3: I can't believe. I can't believe you got that?
Speaker 1: So how would you use it? Petrature is the smell? So so you could just you could be walking around with your mat petri.
Speaker 2: Sure there was a whiff of petra. Sure there a whiff?
Speaker 1: Is that a here's a John?
Speaker 2: And it really is the case when rain is coming you can often smell it. There was there was a smell in the air, and I think it is dust that's been stirred up by rain that's falling not too far away. And you can spell rain coming, can't you? John?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't think there'd be a word for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's wonderful that there is.
Speaker 1: Can we write it down?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what, mane. That's I'm just beside myself that you got it. That's good enough for me.
Speaker 2: Very good mate, that I looked it up A long, long time ago, ten, ten, fifteen years ago, and suddenly that brain cell opened and reminded me of what it was.
Speaker 1: All right, look and look, thank you for very much, John. And in fact we've got David's senses a note petriture, smell of wet roads. So that's what we're talking about here. And I can verify this because over the years on radio there have been people who've had armies of researchers and so when someone asks the question, they go no, I think about that, and the answers to being provided. But kel had nothing, nothing open, nothing, So well done, very good.
Speaker 2: I'm still looking at poop. That's what I've got to open on my computer.
Speaker 1: Well, lang on, you've given this away, so can we This came Look, this was a couple of days ago, and I know this happens. I reckon every few months. Somewhere in the country. There's a debate, there's an argument. There's a dispute over people picking up after their dogs, and it can they're variations of whether they should be putting it in people's bins, whether people do the fake pick up, what you do with the stuff that's in the bags. But the concern that one of our listeners and Clinton Maynard was dealing with this on the Drive Show and he was taught with the concern of one of our listeners was not about the issue, but more about the language that Maynard had used to have a listen.
Speaker 7: I'm in trouble with Danny. So Danny's just sent a text business saying it's dog poo. Pop is American? Please only use the word pooh. I was trying to actually censor myself there. I thought maybe poop was an easier way of getting away with saying pooh. Okay, Danny, I'll stick to it.
Speaker 2: Dog pooh.
Speaker 1: He said it all there, so we have poop and pooh. But poop is pup American?
Speaker 2: No, No, it's British. Recorded from eighteen ninety. It comes from a Germanic source word quite common in Germanic languages, and it always means the same thing, defication, although it's got two meanings. It either means defication or it means breaking wind, so the meanings are very tasteful. But there's there's similar words in Afrikaans and Dutch and so on, so it comes from a Germanic background. It's British, it's not American, so you know no problem. Clinton is allowed to hear.
Speaker 1: He's right, and the fellow that took him to task is wrong.
Speaker 2: The man who said it was American is wrong.
Speaker 1: Very good. You mentioned an excellent word there, because sometimes I'll find myself, you know, when you're something egregious happens. That's a great word itself. So something happens and you want to say that, it's usually a politician has and you want to say they have sahat, I might say it on their constituents. Yes, And so I said, well, they've defecated on their constituents, and I think that's actually even. It's actually got a bit of a bit of style about it, and that's what they have actually done.
Speaker 2: It's a very powerful way of saying it because no one can complain you're using bad language because you're not. But what you're saying is something very and you're saying it in a classy way. So keep it up, John, Very good.
Speaker 1: Very good. Now, Tom is when I said pedants, start your engines at the start of this hour. One of my favorite pedants who textas is Tom now, and he's raised something that I've said a lot. I said, I'm beside myself I've got to say, I'm beside myself. Now. Our fellow who has got their answer, said he was beside himself. Tom says, I hope you should have replied, I hope you both enjoy the rest of the night. But that's an interesting expression, isn't it.
Speaker 2: We have talked about this once before, and it goes back to the idea that somehow, rather you'reitor, your soul gets so distressed it sort of exits your body and parks itself beside you. It goes so it goes back to the Middle Ages, goes back a long way. But it's that kind of idea that I'm so distressed, I'm beside myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, And can.
Speaker 2: I say with Formula one racing, they used to say, gentlemen, start your engines, and because we have to have gender non specific terms, and us drivers start your engines. And I think it's not as good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what's going to happen when because there are women who are driving, And in fact we've had this conversation actually in the same way that it's taken a long time. Now we have probably the best riders in the country, a couple two or three this Jamie Carr James MacDonald. It's logical that women would be as good as jockeys as men because especially because of the weight issue and the way they ride the horses. That reason why women would be able to be as good as a Formula one driver as a male.
Speaker 2: It depends entirely on how much strength is involved, because if you've got a Y chromosome, on average, people with Y chromosomes tend to be like larger, faster, and stronger than people who lack a WHY chromosome. And I don't know how much strength is involved in driving the Formula one.
Speaker 1: Come with the driving, it's well, I mean there's a bit of endurance, but it's also very much a I think it's a skill thing. Oh waka, I think we might raise it in the Formula one report. We do that later in the week. That most interesting, But it is gentlemen, start your engine or pittance start your engage.
Speaker 2: And there was a lovely that said, a shivered awn your spine, didn't a gentleman start your engines? Exit and those huge thunderous engines would start.
Speaker 1: Exactly all right, Let's go to Oh, Brian's got a beauty here? Hello Brian?
Speaker 6: Yeah, good, evening Collen John Hi hi uh with my girlfriend on the weekend and she said jump in Jehosaph. Brief conversation, we don't know who Jehosaphat is and what he was jumping.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's it's what's called a softened blasphemy. People were saying expressions like that in order to avoid using the names of God or Jesus in blasphemous expressions. Jehosaphat was a prophet in the old test to it. I think the jumping part was simply added as a kind of alliterative thing jj, nothing more than that, and it was invented in order to express surprise and without blaspheming, so that when it comes from the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 1: There's so many of those.
Speaker 2: Well, the world is full of them because we went through a period when, particularly the Victorian news, when people were very sensitive about blasphemy, and they kept inventing all kinds of things.
Speaker 1: Right, very good jumping Jehosaph. Fact, yeah, it was, because that's not like the It was the cartoon where you had, oh there's one where there was an expression and now it's gone out of my head. It might have been Foggorn leghorn or someone used to say something like that. But jump in Jehoseph and I'll try and remember what it was. I've got a few on the text line here book Toney's talking about Peter Landy's saying rugby league is rugby league, which is probably just the way he speaks, but it's actually now become endearing. People actually now referred to it as rugby league. That's the way he says the league.
Speaker 2: Yes, I remember Neville Ran turned the word police into a one syllable word. It was always please, please, please please.
Speaker 1: Now the saying I like the cut of his jib. This is I like the cut of.
Speaker 2: His jib from sailing, from the idea that the jib is the front sail on a sailing ship of the triangut, a sign right at the front. That's the jib. And if you've got a really well rigged ship, then then it's really well set up. And you like the cut of his jib.
Speaker 1: Ye codswallop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've talked about this and looked up lots of things. That's there's all kinds of stories about this. There was a mister Cod who was one of the earliest bottlers of soft drink, and he used to. In fact, he was famous because he used to seal them with a round glass marble, And so little boys then proceeded to break the marble out of the bottle top so they could play marbles with them. But it was now it wasn't It wasn't an alcoholic drink, so it was regarded as not as good. It was wallop, and it was made by mister Coyd. It was Cod's wallop. That's the popular story. The dates don't actually fit. It's a lovely story, and I wish it was true, but it appears not to be true. It's probably just a jocular nonsense invention saying this is nonsense, and the stories all came along later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kill a brown dog. It would kill a brown dog.
Speaker 2: Or something that's really bad. A bad smell, a bad taste, bad enough to kill a brown dog. Why a brown dog, I don't know. Why black or white dogs would be immune is beyond me. I really, I really can't cast a lot of light on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Doug is asking this one about hard liquor. So we talk about hard liquor. We understand strong liquor, but hard liquor has because that's A, and I'm assuming the hard liquor is maybe A. I would assume that's a reference to spirits as opposed to wine or beer.
Speaker 2: I think it's simply a reference to alcohol, because soft drinks are non alcoholic. Yeah, so once it's got alcohol in it's it's hard licor it's a hard drink rather than a soft drinks. In other words, it's to do with her. It's safe for children and adults.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yosemite, Sam was the person I was thinking of. But I've got what was the refrain that you sementy Sam? It wasn't jump and jojosaphats, it was something else, I think, So thank you very much for that. Yeah, suffering sacotash. Thank you, suffern succotash. That was a great one, which was Yosemite Sam. Denise is saying this. She sends a text here saying crescendo is a lovely musical word. She puts in a couple of I think that's my wife. Hope, my wife's not listening. Which is a Is that a crotchet? No? Anyway, Okay.
Speaker 2: Sacotash, by the way, is a dish of corn and beans cooked together. The name for it comes from a North American Indian word or Native American word known in America from the late seventeen and suffering suckertash is just one of these illiterative things that makes it sound like fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we're going to go down because someone say, I think that was snuggle puss?
Speaker 2: Was it a snaggle puss?
Speaker 1: Snaggle puss? And then we've got your seventy said, I'm going to try and pull these together in a moment. So because there was snagglepuss, wasn't that snaggle puss?
Speaker 2: Exit stage right, stage left, even Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a break, come back in the moment. We've got more to do here and plenty of questions that have come in during the week. We're talking words and language here with Kel Richards at twenty three minutes to eleven. Yes, Christunda means so, it means gradually louder. A few people have said that I played the viola many years ago and that would be beautiful to play. To get hold of that. Also, Sylvester the Cat. Quite a few people are saying thank you on the text line and also on email. Suffering suck atash was said by Sylvester the cat and Snagglepus was heavens to Murgatroyd. Steve's on the line, is that what you're saying to us?
Speaker 4: Steve, Yeah, I believe that suffering sacotash was what they call a minced metaphor, so instead of blaspheeming was a metophour for suffering Jesus.
Speaker 1: So it's in that basket we've talked about kill all those expressions where they're they're sort of substituting words.
Speaker 2: It's a bit hard to know. One of the reasons is that there's a number of these expressions, and I think heavens to Murgatroyd would be one of them that were actually invented by Hollywood writers of cartoons sitting around a table and saying we need we need a saying for this bloke to come up with. What's he going to say? This guy, this guy's got to have something to say, what are we and tossing ideas around them coming up with phrases. So a whole lot of the phrases can only be traced back to their cartoon characters. So they were actually coined in the first place by the writers of those cartoons. They came out of you know, I don't no longer boozy something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be lots of fun all. Thank you, Steve. That's really interesting because and we've got off the usual tangent we go on. Here we've got someone saying this is Colin not quite the same as yes, Sandriti Sam. But Captain Haddock, the sea captain friend of Tin Tin used to say thundering typhoons and blistering barnacles whenever he was annoyed about.
Speaker 2: Something, and if it got really bad, it was thousands of thundering typhoons.
Speaker 1: I think, yes, yeah, and look this is uh is Algernon. I think your fine sylvest of the cat. Yeah, and you're seventy sound you varmint And galute. Galute is a great word, isn't it? Galute?
Speaker 2: Yes, and I think it's a real word. I'm just very quickly flicking at an awkward or uncouth fellow. Is a goalute. It goes back to eighty o eight and they and the Oxford says its origin is unknown, but they suspect it started in the navy, the British Navy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Snaggle puts heavens to Murgatroyd. So I guess that.
Speaker 2: That's again we're talking mate, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Thomas just checked here. Hard liquor consensus is it's distilled spirit like vodka, Jim Run whiskey and tequila which got a high alcohol contrayt soft liquors of beer and wine. So that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would make sense. That would make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Oh what he's saying here, he got here, very very good. Someone's just sending me a note about the his battle, like in knocking up the Powerball numbers tonight. I think in the end, well, it's a hundred million dollars next Thursday, so you have another crack in the then Gen's called in with one, which well, let's throw it up to the jury.
Speaker 5: Hello, Jen, Hi John high cow By my word, I used to say fuck in the eighties.
Speaker 1: A cocoa, yep iffing a cocoa.
Speaker 2: Never heard it, never ever heard it? In what context? What did she what was? Did she mean it to mean?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 1: Was she was? She was she editing the effing bit for meaning something else? Do you think maybe.
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: Was she saying it which she was angry or irritated? Or was it meant to be flippant, she was angry, irritated.
Speaker 1: Okay, that might be one that they've just invented themselves.
Speaker 2: And there are a number of sayings. When I did that research for language around Australia regional dialects, a lot of sayings are just family sayings and they're just cooked up in the family. Everyone in the family knows them and everyone in the family says them, but outside the family they're completely unknown. This may well be one of those most interesting.
Speaker 1: All right, look, thank you, but if anyone knows, if anyone's heard it, otherwise it would be likely to be something as you say, just within.
Speaker 2: I did a book called word Map which I did with the together with the Macaura Dictionary, which which picks up a whole lot of these things about it around Australia, and we had people nominate things on a website and a lot of people nominated really interesting expressions else ever heard of because they were family express.
Speaker 1: Within their own family. Yes, really really interesting. Galuse I love that word galute jumping Stanley, someone's saying so very good.
Speaker 2: Never heard that?
Speaker 1: No, never very good. Please don't do that to me. Now there's a couple that we've got as homework or emails that have come in. One of them is people talk about someone colliding with a tree, and I thought collide meant that both subjects had to be moving and people are always scrambling to rescue survivors. So this is just a couple of different ones there. So what do you make of those?
Speaker 2: Okay, their complaints about what journalists do. The one about you can't use collide unless both objects are moving is one of the great myths of journalists. On every young journalist comes in and if it writes a story about a car colliding with a tree, and some smart old journalists so a sun sogn the word is allied. Collide only means when both objects are moving. Now there's a grain of truth in it. When they started it applied to maritime law and ships at sea, if two ships were in motion and hit one another, they collided, and if one of them was in motion and not the other, they alided. But in fact, in common English that passed away centuries ago, and colliding can be applied to any impact. So when that smart ole journalist in the newsroom says, you can't say collide because the tree wasn't moving, telling him is wrong you can. It's perfectly okay. The other one he was talking about was scrambling. He complained about after an earthquake or a natural disaster, there are rescue workers scrambling to find survivors. The word scramble literally means to move hastily and in disorder. Now, I think it's a pointless journalistic cruiser, a cliche, because eggs can be scrambled, not rescues. Rescues are often really well organized, very systematic, and so the one thing they're not is a scramble.
Speaker 1: Very good. Now, for Notre Dame Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: So okay, it's Notre Dame in France, and most English speakers would say Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: The Americans say no to day they say Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we say Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: Because they've got their very famous college, haven't they.
Speaker 2: They've got Notre Dame, Notre Dame University, which is one of the great universities in America. So, and it's theirs. They can pronounce it anyhow any way they want. It's just that they're wrong. They're Americans.
Speaker 1: It's their college and then university I can call it. They can describe it the way they want to, can't they? Or you're going to turn up at their.
Speaker 2: And correct them all? Not not when their football teams just want a big match.
Speaker 1: Now, all right, so look, I think we've we've got we've got three and a half years left. I think we're going to raise a collection of basically a couple of months accommodation. If is you can look after him, get in the accreditation. I want you to be in that White House press room and start correcting Donald Trump. No, no, mister president, kel Richards from Kel Richards from the Channel nine radio network. You're actually pronouncing that I've got a problem with the policy, but you're not saying it correctly. Can I just explain? I'd love that to have.
Speaker 2: You know how long I'd survived. Donald does not take correction well.
Speaker 1: Exactly, So it would be entertaining, though, wouldn't it.
Speaker 2: For about ten seconds after us? For you? It would be not for me?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well I can think about it. Neil twelve to eleven. Now there's just three that I don't have. They're linked hoon goon and hooliganism. So I don't know hoon goon, hooligan, hooliganism.
Speaker 2: The officially they're not too sure where the word hohon came from. It's common in Australia, also common in New Zealand, but not known outside this country. I made of mine was driving an English friend of his around Melbourne once and some raced across the front of him in his car and my friend said, oh, look at that hoon, and the Englishman was totally baffled. I had no idea what he was talking about. There have been lots of guests guesses is what it as to what it came from. Maybe Goon was the start of it. That's a possibility. But one of the other suggestions is it comes from the creatures in Galliva's travels called the Winhams spelt hou, so the idea that the Winhems, but the Winhams are very good characters in Gallova's travel so that seems unlikely. The goon story goes back to only to the nineteen twenties. There's no real clarity as to where it came from. The suggestion that the Oxford people came up with is they think it might have started off with being someone's surname and it was picked and it was used. There was an America a cartoonist who drew a cartoon called Alice Dagoon, which was popular for a long time, and she was fairly dumb apparently, so that that probably put it into circulation. But the actual source of the that gw N name is really unclear.
Speaker 1: All right, very interesting, and look, I've got where is it? I mentioned galute one of our texts, just saying Ray used to use it. Ray Hadley called Don haw And a galute one of his rants, and he's look he actually well, my former colleague James Willis were playing at Massy Park one day and someone took a photo and sent it to the Great Man and we were described as a pair of galutes because we were I think we were struggling that day and someone sent him a send him a scorecard. So anyway, so that is a great expression galute. I guess not that offensive, is it? Galte?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, it wouldn't be actionable. I mean it started off as navy slang. It's not dreadful.
Speaker 1: All right, Debra, you've got one for us, have your yes.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 8: My sister and I were talking today. I rang about a year or so ago about we were laughing about something. My mum used to say when we worked up for crying out for sink.
Speaker 1: For crying down the seat.
Speaker 8: Or I actually got the answer to what that actually means.
Speaker 2: Say the expression again.
Speaker 1: For crying out for seak, for crying down the seat. You know you talk about it for crying out loud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's obviously a variation on crying out.
Speaker 8: Loud whenever we barked up for crying out for sink.
Speaker 2: Obviously, it seems to me she was intending to shed a huge number of tears and needed an open plughole to cry over. But it's not an expression I have ever heard before. I'm going to write it down and see if I can do a bit of research on that one.
Speaker 1: For this it's a possible, Deborah. It's one of those ones where your mum kind of adapted it for her own use for your family.
Speaker 3: Oh no, she said it was an English then, right, Okay.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I've written it down in the notebook. I'll do a bit of digging.
Speaker 1: Okay, very good, There you go. We'll find out what the story is in relation to that one, because often and we often get feedback from other people who have actually used it themselves.
Speaker 2: The best research team we have for your listeners.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Debora, Kel's going to have a look at that one and see if you can find anything. We were mentioning terms that what Ray used to use, continuous call tom. This is one Daryl's raised and I know they did it brew haha, which is brew haha.
Speaker 2: It's great word, yeah, better around since eighteen ninety comes from an exactly similar French word, which was written and sounded the same. And the French word means commotion. Some experts say it started in the French medieval theater, when it was used as a cry uttered by the devil when he leapt onto the stage, threatening to bring commotion to the scene. Now, if that's correct, it was probably an invented word, coined by an actor or a playwright to sound threatening or something like that. But from the French. In English and still with us, all.
Speaker 1: Right, look, there's a pile of things here. I just want to touch on a couple. This is no brainer, which we often use where you say okay, it's a no brainer, so as in this is something should know that answered that one.
Speaker 2: The listener who wrote to us Martin was concerned that it was an offensive expression. We're saying there are some people with no brains, and he mentioned in bracket someone by the name of Joe Biden, whoever that may be. And I can reassure Martin it's not an offensive expression because it's not about people. It's about ideas. It's not people that are no brainers. It's ideas that are no brainer. So it just means something very obvious coined in America not all that long ago, nineteen fifties, to say this is so obvious it stands out you don't need to engage the brain to understand it. So Martin relaxed. It is not offensive.
Speaker 1: It's one of my former colleagues here used to describe people as brain dead, which I think is a pejorative term, and I think it's pretty He's basically saying the blakes, yeah stupid or the person stupid. So anyway, we won't go to that one anymore. And look, abstropolis, abstropolis. That's a lovely word, abstropolis. And I've only got maybe can we save it to next week. I've only got twenty seconds, Like.
Speaker 2: I can do it in twenty seconds. It's older than you might think. Recorded seventeen twenty seven, appears to be a jocular comic variation of an other word obstreperous, which is older, comes from a Latin source word meaning troublesome. The Oxford says obstropolis originally meant having an obstreperous mouth. So there you are.
Speaker 1: There you go, all right, Kel will do it again next week. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Talk to you there,