Speaker 1: Onto GV. This is sitting now with Clinton.
Speaker 2: Maynard, Wednesday, June eighteen, one three one eight seven three. It is Clinton Maynard here. It is a stunning winter's afternoon, and I know there's a lot of woe in the world at the moment, but I was walking through Darling Harbor a little earlier glorious sunshine, and it just struck me, boy, we are really lucky to live in a city like this that we can be basically a month in the winter, coldest part of the year and just amazing where that really makes you appreciate how wonderful our country, our city is now on those woes of the world. If you are driving at the moment right now, if you see petrol cheap bite, the war in the Middle East is going to drive up world oil prices. We're already seeing that. It's going to lead to petrol prices going up as well. I spotted E ten today for a dollar sixty nine liter. So if you see petrol around that dollars seventy mine buy it. Coming up on the program Power Bills ad you to go up on the first July, so two weeks away. Reality is the increases in New South Wales are more than those in Victoria. It's not fair. There is some hope today of reform. We're gonna look at that. I'm gonna hold an honesty session, Yes, an honesty session. I want truth from you. If you catch buses, keep listening for that. On Wednesday, our straight Shooter that Lucy Zeliz joins us after four thirty Mark guys on the program the Preview of State of Origin two. Look, there's a lot of fallout from what Billy Slater has said today. He's made an apology for the comments that reference to late Paul Green, and that was when he was responding to the accusation that he's a grub that end up may end up firing up the Queenslanders. I think MG after five thirty and I will spin the two GB Winter Wheel. This is your chance to win hundreds, if not thousands of dollars and great prizes this afternoon. You need the queue to call, so keep on listening. You are my eyes and eares when it's happening in Sydney now, so text me zero four six, zero eight seven three outs seven to three. Have you say one three, one eight seven three, Well in Sydney now more details have been released about the allegations against four teenagers accused of gang raping a seventeen year old girl in Sydney, Southwest over the course of six hours. This is difficult for us to comprehend. This is difficult to listen to and discussed, especially when you cast your mind back to the scaff Brother's case many years ago in the early two thousand that rocked this city. But the details of this crime, these allegations, they need to be told because we as a society need to prevent this sort of thing happening. Police are revealed today the alleged attack was filmed. The four accused rage between fourteen and nineteen. Two of them have appeared in court. Josh Bright, our senior reporter, is covering this case. Good afternoon, Josh. What's occurred today?
Speaker 3: Good afternoon, Clinton. Yes, that's right. So aside from obviously the details being made public, as you say, we had the charges laid against two of these four accused in this matter, we police revealing that back in December. So this alleged incident happened in December of last year, now not long after less than a week after the incident was reported to police. As sixteen year old and a fourteen year old were arrested. They remain bail refused their matter, due back in court again in August. Charges now laid against an eighteen year old and a nineteen year old over this incident as well. The nineteen year old facing Liverpool Court today where there was no application for vail it was formally refused. Speaking outside his lawyer saying that his client maintains his innocent. The eighteen year old faced a due to face a children's court today. So the whole case, I guess it made public today after the charging of those other two, but all up for steal with cases before the courts.
Speaker 2: The Sex Crime Commander Jane Dougherty has spoken today and it has been revealed there will be an allegation that this crime over the course of six hours. Part of this was actually filmed.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right, so the allegation parts of it were filmed, and also that it was during the initial alleged sexual assault in the car part of it was there was a video call as well. So obviously you know, on top of everything else that this seventeen year old is dealing with Just as you said at the start and as Jane Dougherty said the alleged behavior is heinous and that it beggars belief and essentially that men of any aid, regardless of the age of these accused, really anyone should know that this is not how you treat another human being.
Speaker 2: The allegations are horrific. Thank you, Josh. Thanks Unt Josh Bryant, our senior reporter. As Josh explained, they're the four now two appeared in court late last year, the youngest two before children's court, and then another two who've now been arrested, have appeared in court today. All four are in custody twelve past three. Now Anthony Aberzi could still meet Donald Trump in the next week. Of course, the US President flew out of Canada and the G seven meeting without meeting mister Alberinisi. He did hold talks with some of the world leaders. Mister Alberizi says, Look, it is understandable what's occurred, but he's been asked by the reporters on the trail today, did he manage to make some sort of personal contact with Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: Now it hasn't, but I spoke with key advisers to the president. The president has been engaged obviously with the circumstances around Iran and Israel. It's perfectly understandable the decision that he made that meant that the meetings that were scheduled just with myself, but with India, Ukraine including President Zelanski, Mexico and other countries didn't go ahead today.
Speaker 2: But we're all mature about that.
Speaker 4: We understand the circumstances which are there, and we have agreed through our American friends that will reschedule the meeting.
Speaker 2: He has now left the door open to attending the NATO conference, which is next week. Originally the plan was for the Deputy Prime Minister, Richard Miles to go along. Mister Alberinezi says he is considering a change of plans. He has met with the NATO Secretary General, so the door is Open'd be embarrassing if the PM then goes to NATO next week and misses another meeting. What I would recommend to mister ALBINIZI is book those airfares today. You know what flight's are like. You leave it too late and the airfares go up. So if you want to save the tax pays a few dollars, maybe book now. If it matters to you.
Speaker 5: You'll hear it here Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard until.
Speaker 2: Six A State of Origin two tonight alive from Opter Stadium. You'll hear the full cut which of the continuous call with Levy and the boys. But I want to check in to my counterpart at six PR Oliver Peterson, because I want to get an understanding about does Perth really care about rugby league? Now? They should? The Western Bears are coming, will they, I should say the Perth Bears. They're going to be known as the Perth Bears? Do they really care about New South Wales or Queensland? OLLI person, thanks for joining.
Speaker 6: Us, Good on your Queenstin, Good afternoon.
Speaker 2: I know you care about rugby league. Will the fans it up to stadium tonight care?
Speaker 6: Well, it's a sellout.
Speaker 7: It's officially a sellout, so sixty thousand people are there. My calculations are at least two thirds of the stadium or West Australian, so we've got about twenty thousand people they estimate have flown over from New South Wales or Queensland in particular.
Speaker 6: And if you were part.
Speaker 7: Of my program yesterday at the Crown Sports Bar, here in Perth.
Speaker 6: Clinton, when mal Ma Ninger arrived.
Speaker 7: There was a standing ovation and a big chant of here come the Bears. So the appetites here we're warming up.
Speaker 2: Who will they support tonight queens then on New South Wales.
Speaker 8: Definitely Queensland.
Speaker 7: So really one hundred percent behind them are and that's heartbreaking for somebody like myself as you know, who was born in Sydney and I'm a.
Speaker 6: New Southwest Australian.
Speaker 7: But there is always the love of that underdog status and I think any excuse that Turth can hate Sydney, that'll definitely to be supporting Queensland.
Speaker 2: You were at Optor Stadium this morning for an event.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there was the Friends of Rugby League touch football match.
Speaker 6: Big Mel was there and Freddie Fitler was there.
Speaker 7: The WA Premier Roger Cook Andrew Abdough was there. But none of us played in the end.
Speaker 6: Clinton because there's a lot of rain around here in person.
Speaker 7: They didn't want to ruin the pitch for tonight's main event, but had a good look at the end of Sancton. The locker rooms at Opta Stadium are like nothing else in this being a queens Land home game, they can kit it out as though they're playing up at sun Corpse, so there's a few more hurdles to jump, I think for the new South Wales team.
Speaker 6: Tonight, which is obviously pretty confidence that should be.
Speaker 7: But when we got out there onto the pitch this morning, even though it is a circular stadium.
Speaker 6: Built for AFL, you could feel the atmosphere.
Speaker 7: You're still quite close that the cauldron tonight is just going to be electric.
Speaker 2: I think it's fabulous to hear because I think there are a lot of Rugby League fans on the East Coast who don't really have an appreciation of the Perth feeling about our sport well we call houtsport on the East Coast. But you will be getting a team, I think believe tonight the logo for the Perth Bears is going to be released as well.
Speaker 7: That's our understanding, which will be fantastic and I believe it will very much honor the tradition of the old North Sydney Bears logo, just with a modern twist on that, and that's going to build the excitement because I think through the COVID years, in particular Clinton, when the game was sped up the six again rule. A lot of casual observers over here, how exciting is this product?
Speaker 6: Origin has always been big in Perth to be honest.
Speaker 7: That the pubs are always full on a Wednesday night for Origin because people like.
Speaker 6: To see the big spectacle of the game.
Speaker 7: It will grow and the natural excitement around Origin this week. And don't forget we've got the Knights and the Dolphins here in Perth on Saturday and Isaiah Otowa is obviously playing one of the most.
Speaker 6: Form footballers in the league, so there's a bit more buzz around.
Speaker 7: We need a bit of help though from the other media organizations to get behind and let people know and they pick up the daily paper their Origins actually on tonight because the next no mention of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's certainly had a lot of coverage of this. And quick tip from you New.
Speaker 7: South Wales by about thirty because they've never lost.
Speaker 8: At up to Stadium.
Speaker 2: Good to hear, Thank you Ellie anytime. Clinton Oli Peterson from six pr Mark leaving the continuous call team on air live from up to Stadium, Perth from seven o'clock tonight. So you tell me are you happy that Origin's being played in Perth? Now? I actually think it is wise to have one of the three games in neutral venue. That's the fairest way to do it. But up until recent years, well it was twenty seventeen, it wasn't like that. Often. It was usually Brisbane or Sydney would host two games and then every few years to be one played in a state. During COVID they're all played in Queensland or we should get some back for that. Now I think it's only fair to have one game played at the neutral venue. Perth makes sense because the Perth Bears have been announced in the last month or so. The mcg's host of games Adelaie Where to next Hobart if that stadium has ever built? New Zealand. Maybe there is a push one three one eight seven three there's been a suggestion origin overseas. Do you want to see that? Where should the next origin venue be? Let me know if you could like to send a text message zero fors zero eight seven three out seven three. This is Sydney now seventeen degrees in the coast sixteen Campbelltown. All your feedback on where the next State of Origin venue should be. In just a moment, police have confirmed they've arrested wait for this, a fifteen year old boy after a car was stolen and crashed this morning and resulted in firearms being discovered. Police have told us that a stolen suv hit a tree. The driver and passengers then fled the scene from Flood Avenue in Riesby. Police investigated throughout the day. Following reports of suspicious activity, Officers returned to Flood Avenue in Risby where they discovered another car, a Twurter Corolla that had been stolen from a Rivesten home so not too far away. Using the police helicopter Air and the dog Unit, police have then tracked two youths. They've arrested a fifteen year old boy. They've located and seized a rifle from the home. However, there is another teenage boy the police are looking for. He's been described as Maori Pacific Islander an appearance. He was last seeing a black hooded jumper and black pants.
Speaker 5: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on.
Speaker 2: To GB twenty three past three. Some feedback on mister Albenese's plan to potentially meet with Donald Trump at NATO if mister Trump will grant him a meeting, Rodney says, why would Donald Trump meet with Albow and his hopeless ambassador Kay Rudd. Both have openly criticized mister Trump previously Australia's name paying the cost of having these two pelicans in control. Sharon says, mister Alberenesi is looking like a Trump stalker following him around the world. Here we have one leader whose sports supports Israel and another leader who is not looking strong your feedback on state of origin. So seven o'clock tonight coverage with a con you was called team Live from Perth, and Perth is embracing origin. The match ad Optor stadium is a sellout. Where should the next game be? Hello, Hans, where would you like to see the next game?
Speaker 9: Vegs?
Speaker 2: I think I heard you say Las Vegas. There, did your hands well? Given how successful the opening round of the NRL's been there, it might work U and it had mean both both teams that have the same distance to travel. I have to let you go their hands. The lines not great. I've got another, Dimitri says on the text line, yes it should be in Vegas, but Dave points out on the text Lin where they've already had state of origin in La They did in nineteen eighty seven, Dave, but it was an exhibition game. It actually didn't count. Now, that was the match. If you watch the footy show over the years, the old footage show, they used to take the piss out of sterl all the time because he played in that game. He was half back from New South Wales and they had a giant banner and Sterlough went to crash through the banner, run through the ban and he couldn't actually get through. Was quite a battle for him.
Speaker 10: Hello Ian, Yeah, Hi Clinton.
Speaker 11: I was just thinking about the mascots for the new per so I thought Humphrey Billy there a good choice for them.
Speaker 2: They'll be unveiling the logo on the mascot tonight.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Well you'd have to wear a pair of pants, but you know, fit him out in the Jersey. Saint George used to have the yas Saint George Bank Dragon. It'd be a good match.
Speaker 2: I think that was the big problem with Humphrey. He didn't have those pants, whereas fat Cat did have the pants. Thank you. In one three one eight seven to three just on Sport, Warwick cap has been in a lot of trouble in the past twenty four hours. He's been banned from the AFL for five years. Well, he's responded. We'll talk about that with Peter Ford. Next. Just confirmation Gore Hill Freeway. All lanes have now reopened at Willoughby following that fatal crash involving the motorcycle rider who sadly has died and a ute today. The bike hit the back of the ute. Happened with the northbound lanes that have been closed for much of the day. Those lanes have now reopened. They had been closed between Brook Street and Reserve Road. You need to give yourself some extra time though, if you are traveling towards through that area, give yourself extra time because they're going to be delayed, probably for the rest of the peak out. But those lanes are now open once again. Let's check out news headlines.
Speaker 13: Katie Puller, Good afternoon.
Speaker 14: Clinton Police say they haven't received any reports of similar attacks after four teenagers were charged with sexually assaulting a seventeen year old girl in a six hour ordeal. A sixteen year old boy allegedly attacked the girl in a car at a Liverpool shopping center before being joined by three other males in a park. All lanes have reopened on the Gore Hill Freeway at Willoughby after a fatal collision. A motorcyclist was killed when his bike crashed into the back of a ute. The Prime Minister says progress is being made on a free trade deal between Australia and Europe. There's a push on both sides to reach an agreement in a bid to combat tariffs being imposed by the US, and research suggests daily walking produces the risk of chronic lower back pain. Norwegian scientists have found one hundred minutes of walking per day can help curb long term pain. In sport, the Blues are tipping Jerome Leuei to thrive after being recalled for tonight's second State of Origin clash against the Morons, replacing the injured Mitchell Moses at five eighth Luai will partner with his old Panthers teammate Nathan Cleary in the halves Clinton More News at four.
Speaker 2: Kkat seventeen degrees in the coast seventeen of Bankstown. One of your favorite ministers, the Energy Minister, Chris Bowen, has released a plan today to try to contain electricity price rises in New South Wales because bills go up more in New South Wales than they do in Victoria. And I'll bring you some details about that a little later in the program. But on the email two GB dot com, Phil Listens in the Hunter Valley says, if fuel prices go up, which is likely because of world oil prices and electricity prices go up, every single thing that we buy in price and why it's going to get even harder. In the Hunter Valley. Our rate rise has just increased. Rates are going up by thirty three percent. And then what decision was made by the North Sydney Council last night. Yes, rates are going up across the North by twenty five percent in Sydney peter Ford. In just a moment, still some feedback on where the next State of Origin game should be played, if you'd like to see me a text message on this one zero four zero eight seven three eight seven to three. Dan says, they definitely need to take State of Origin New Zealand next. How good would that be? I think that'll be the next destination. I think given the Yaukland Warriors or the New Zealand Warriors as they are called. They sell out every home game now they've set a record for the number of home games they've sold out. I think they'll play a game at Eden Stadium or Eden Park in Auckland, and Nick says, why not an Origin game in p and G. I don't know if they'll have the infrastructure. Yes, they're going to have an NFL team there in a few years time. I don't think they've got a ground that's big enough to cater for it now where at Kappa is in a lot of trouble. He has been banned from attending a F games and he's a Sydney Swan's legend for five years because of his behavior towards women. But he has responded to this today. Is it too severe? Peter Ford joins this good afternoon.
Speaker 15: Peter, Well, look, I think it's a good debate. What happened or what did happen or didn't happen, was all on the Grand Final Day last year, the AFL Grand Final Day. And as you say, he's now been banned for five years, not just from any AFL games, but he's banned from all AFL venues, including the MCG and that's not just for AFL football, that's for concerts, that's for cricket, everything. For five years he cannot enter the MCG. Now he released a statement this morning to Sunrise. A lot of the headlines have been saying that he was behaving in a disgusting and a vile manner, but nobody seems to be able to pinpoint what exactly the violent and disgusting things were, apart from one comment that he made to a waitress who was serving and he said to the effect and I don't, as far as I understand it, the waitress didn't hear it. Not that that necessarily matters. He said, I'd like to give her a job in my brothel. He runs a brothel in Melbourne. Now he's released this statement to day to Sunrise, where he said some friends and I were in a small, private corporate box at the AFL Grand Final eight months ago. I made a comment to people in my party that was overheard by waightstaff, who became offended. I happened to think working in a brothel is a great way to earn a living, as it is a legitimate industry. So I think he raises an interesting point there. I mean, we have to accept the brothels are legal, you know, if they're run correctly, etc. And the right licensing which he's got, it is a legitimate workplace in industry. Would we be offended if he said if he owned a restaurant, so I'd love to give her a job in one of my restaurants. So are we being moralistic? We get outraged by that. I wouldn't say it, and I wouldn't like someone saying it to my daughter or sister. But nonetheless, I think it's five years, I must say, sounds pretty heavy handed when you hear about the pretty questionable behavior of AFL players and teams and staff. And I've never heard of a five year band before.
Speaker 2: And just to clarify that, Pep, he was speaking to other He wasn't speaking to the person, the intended brothe worker. He was speaking to his friends. And it was overheard there obviously.
Speaker 15: But I certainly the people I've spoken to I know Warwick, I know I don't know him well. I think other people who know him well, such as Sam Newman, and some of those were there and they said the comment was not directed to her and they don't believe she even heard it. Other staff who were serving on the day did and that's that's how the complaints started.
Speaker 2: And that penalty it's you know you mentioned it's at the MCG and it's not just AFL games. I would imagine it as as well as he no doubt makes a very good income from running a brothel. I'm not quite sure how much you make for running a brothel, but I would also suspect that that Warrick Kappa makes a bit of money on the speaking scene, given he's an AFL legend and so out there as a character. He would have speaking engagements at AFL matches at various venues where the AFL has played. He probably makes a bit of coin from.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think most of those sort of functions probably take place in like the team's rooms or headquarters or function rooms, not necessarily at AFL brands. But I mean, you know, Warwick is an idiot, and he's been a professional idiot now for forty years, and we cheered him on for being that, you know, we encouraged it, we did. You know, that was the eighties and things that were acceptable and even funny back in the eighties are now no longer acceptable. And I don't think Warick has kind of moved with the times, and he's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed anyway, but I still do think five years is pretty heavy handed.
Speaker 2: That's the credit of the day. Warwick is an idiot, but should he be care answered is the question. Tom Cruise and Dolly Parton have won Oscars.
Speaker 15: Yeah, well, this is a nice thing because they every year they give out a few honorary Oscars. This year they're giving out four. One of them is going to Tom Cruise, and that's for his body of work. And there is no doubt that he is one of the great movie stars of our lifetime, you know, since that Golden Years of Hollywood ended, that new brigade of people who emerged in the seventies and eighties, you know, he's right up there. Oddly enough, has never been given the American Film Institute Award, which is really disgraceful. But anyway, the Oscars are going to give him one, and they have cited his work in the stunt world as well, with so many things that he's done on screen are quite remarkable. But the other one I think is also not up for debate, and that's Dolly Parton. Now she's not getting it for her movie work. She's getting the gene her Shalt Award, and that is the award that's given for people who have worked in movies of fame as a result of movies. Hers of course goes beyond that, but they then go and do great work in the world. And in her case, there's so many things. You know, her work with literacy, getting millions of books into schools and libraries for kids that she personally funds, you know, getting out of check book and writing a million dollar check when someone said they needed some money for a COVID vaccine. She's always doing those sort of great things. So she's getting that gene her shoulder wards. They're not given out on the Oscar Night, a special event held in November.
Speaker 2: Just one last question about Tom Cruise Peet. I've always been intrigued that I think a lot of Ozzie don't like him because he's split up with Nicole Kidman. Do they still have a civil relationship or do they on no talkie basis.
Speaker 15: Pretty much a no talking basis, And I think that may be connected to the breakup and the fact that Tom is a scientologist. You know, we know they had two kids, and it's all very complicated story, but I think there is an agreement that they don't discuss each other. They have made passing references to each other, even in quite recent times, but always on quite a positive note, and certainly in the case that Tom is a very peculiar person, but he is incredibly devoted to the art of making movies, and certainly I think he is absolutely due that Oscar.
Speaker 2: We will talk tomorrow. Thank you, Peter, Thanks Clinton. Peter Ford on entertainment at this time every day, I've got messages, lots of messages coming in about Warre Kapper. So the quota of the day goes to Peter Ford. Quote, Warre Kapper is an idiot, But should he be canceled for being an idiot for saying something that we think he said in private that's been overheard about, suggesting that one of the white staff should work his brothel. Greg says good on Warreck Kapper. I wish more people would give the middle finger to the Pitchfork beread. But this one from Smoky it's about Tom Warwick Kapper grew up. The bloke is an embarrassment. If you've got a view on that one three one eight seven three beautiful afternoon across Sydney. Optus has now agreed to pay a one hundred million dollar fine after they admitted they were targeting customers with mobile phone deals that they couldn't actually afford and did not need. The a Triple C took court action against Optus and they accused the company of unconscionable conduct in the way it was selling products to hundreds of customers. Now, these were generally customers who had diminished cognitive capacity, perhaps they had limited financial literacy. English may well have been their second language, and they were sold things mobile phone pans for instance, that they couldn't use or they didn't need, and in summer cases, they then built up a debt because they couldn't afford them either. So the telcow is now admitted to this behavior. They've agreed to compensate those affected and they'll pay a one hundred million dollar fine. That fine still needs to be approved by the federal court. It's a Court of the Four. Still messages coming in about where the next State of Origin match should be played Tonight's Perth Opti Stadium, and I think one venue every year should be neutral, one Sydney match, one Brisbon match and one interstate as it has been, but what about overseas? Glenn says, everything the New Zealand Warriors did during COVID, they deserve it. We should be playing it in New Zealand as a thank you. Bev says, though, why so much height for Vegas lost ma Las Vegas matches. Majority of supporters are battler's and that and then excludes them from going to the games. Fairpoint Beverly one three one eight seven three is our number. I want to draw your attention to an issue and I've been hearing about this from some of our listeners over the past couple of weeks, warries they have about the safety of Sydney's light rail network. Now the Guardians actually published a story about this today, but I've been hearing warries from some of you in emails you send me via twogb dot com. Just a couple of weeks ago there was a death in the city Surrey Hills when a man was killed by a tram. There was another two years ago a teenager and that was on George Street. Drivers are saying current safety systems aren't working, that emergency senses have failed, that cameras you to help with safety are too slow, and they're being told to stay quiet, don't go public. Well, I receive a lot of correspondence from bus drivers and we're going to talk about that a little later on them as well, train drivers and also light rail operators, and I do keep their identities. I keep those on any it's confidential because I don't want them to lose their jobs. But elicite meme from the operator trans Dev has warned staff not to talk about these incidents even amongst themselves. Well, the RTBU, the rail, tram and Bus union, says that's not good enough and they want some change before another life is lost. David Babineu is the secretary of the RTBU. He looks after the buses and the light rail network. Kiddo, David, Gooday, Clinton, how are you so, I've been hearing about this through a little while. What are your members telling you about their safety concerns.
Speaker 8: Well, it all comes down to time, it really does.
Speaker 16: It all comes down to know that operators contracted to deliver services with a certain amount of time, and everything is a casualty to that. So you raise the point about the cameras they were put in to observe the coupling point between the two trams and actors sort of some sort of measure to reduce the hazard. Now they're activated when the doors are closed. The screen doesn't come on straight away. It takes a couple seconds for it to come on. A couple of seconds becomes a few seconds, becomes ten seconds, becomes twenty seconds, becomes half a minute. There was no accommodation made for the timing of it. It was just, hey, we better do something, we better be seen to be doing something. And so this is how it's gone. If there's going to be a lasting change here, and there has to be. We've got two people dead, and to be fair, Transport can call it misadventure all they want, it doesn't lessen the fact that we've got two people who have lost their lives and countless impacted by that. We need these coupling points inclosed. I'm not an engineer, can't tell you how to do it. There looks to be multiple ways, but it really needs to be. We cannot seriously have this kind of structure exposed to people where they're you know, in this case, losing their lives.
Speaker 2: So that those coupling points you mentioned David just to clarify overseas and there are similar in these trains. All these light rail I think of made in Spain, aren't they do? They have that technology overseas well.
Speaker 16: There's no reason why you couldn't close them. You just you can build a housing around them. There'd be a certain amount of movement needed depending on where they go. There's you know, there's some relatively sharp corners, but there's no reason why you couldn't accommodate a certain amount of movement, you know, within that joint.
Speaker 2: In the same way we do with modern trains.
Speaker 16: It's eminently doable. It comes down to, like everything comes down to expense. And this is why I say transport needs to step in because they need to stop hiding behind well it's the operator's fold or there's a contract. People are losing their lives. We don't care who's to blame. It needs to be fixed.
Speaker 2: And I think the issue here is is that Sydney side is even though we've had the light raph what five or six years now, a lot of Sydney Siders aren't used to it because as we went decades and decades without having trams running up and down George Street and other streets in Sydney and the Inner West and the Eastern suburbs. So I think a lot of it's the food of the pedestrian, But I don't think we're used to it.
Speaker 8: Look to a degree, you're right.
Speaker 16: I mean, you know about ninety percent of Line two and three is shared space with pedestrians. And you stand there of a peak hour and you watch what goes on along George Street for example. Oh yeah, it's and the slow speed to a degree encourages the stupid.
Speaker 2: And once you've got your ear phones in, really, once you've gotten out of the way, once you're listening to this radio station on the app or something, you know, people get distracted.
Speaker 8: It's they do, they really do.
Speaker 16: I mean we've had reports, you know, from members and from the general public about like you know, people writing on the coupling points and stuff like that. There's you know, it's the system was put in, you know, without a lot of adequate safety measures. Me now there's talk about oh, well you know there's a line, there should be lines on the platforms. Well, you go to town hall, the lines are literally the edge of the platform and if the line is there to tell you where you shouldn't go past. Well, it's no wonder people are getting bumped occasionally as they lean in on their phones and stuff like that. There really needs to be a consistent and holistic approach to safety on this network. It's a good service, it really is, but it can absolutely be safe and Transport needs to step up and make that happen.
Speaker 2: Look, I do receive anonymous tip offs about what's happening on the network, and I receive it, as you know, a lot from bus drivers as well that issues in the bus network. But what do you make of this revelation that trans dev has actually sent a memo and they're telling their stuff not to even talk to each other about this.
Speaker 16: Look, firstly, thank you for that confidence, because it is absolutely the case that regardless of whether the you know, what part of transport you're working in, you speak out, you tend to get hit with it, you know. So you know, I do do respect the fact that you do that for our members and just for you operators in general. But look, if you're talking about and this is the problem, there was no clarity to it. If you're saying that you shouldn't talk about it because we've got a guy who's coming back to work, who doesn't.
Speaker 8: Really want to relive it in the meal room.
Speaker 16: We've got people who responded on the day who may not want to, you know, trying to sort of deal with it themselves. We don't need, you know, we don't need the gossip going around, that's one thing. But if you're telling people they just can't talk about it because it's a reputational issue or something like that, not in a million years would we support that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Transparency is critical because that's how we fixed things in society. Thank you, David. Absolutely, David Babinow that this is an issue I think we do need to address because for a lot of Sydney sider is he don't going to the city often, you may be only going to the city once l twice a year. You're not going to know how to deal with it. And it's often the pedestrian's fault, don't get me wrong, But that doesn't mean we shouldn't do something to protect them a little bit better. It's nine to four, it's five to four. Lots of feedback coming in about Warrack Kappa. So he's been described by our entertainment reporter as an idiot for the comments that he's made about a waiter at the MCG, he's been banned for five years by the AFL, and some mixed views from our listeners. Michael says I always thought Waura Kappa had no brain. His latest incident just confirms my thoughts. But Ben says this is typical of the AFL. They'd be better concentrating their efforts on junior AFL in New South Wales where they're drastically lackling, rather than canceling one of their greats that they actually cash in on. Hello, Gavin, what's your view mate?
Speaker 17: Well, what's not highlighted is Warick Kappa has a claim against the AFL with a number ninety nine players for brain injury sustained during.
Speaker 8: His professional career.
Speaker 12: So I think it's fairly radical to go five years not defending his words he's used, and I think he may be being penalized a little more than some for some reason.
Speaker 2: And I appreciate you coming, Gavin that there could well be a link there. The AFL would certainly say no, there's not a link there at all. Some information following Steve Carlin's traffic report about the dramas at Forrest Way Adams Street, French's Forester. We've just spoken to the paramedics off there. They tell us some pedestrians been hit by a vehicle. They're on the scene assessing that pedestrian at the moment managed in his thirties. He is in a stable condition. One of three northbound lanes remains closed. So which brings us to this issue we're talking about with light rail. As I said, I think some of the instance we're seeing, and it's not just the two fatalities that occurred in the last couple of years, that there are numerous instants involving the light rail network in the CBD, involving pedestrians, and often it is the fault of the pedestrian, don't get me wrong. And a lot of it comes down to the distraction of pedestrians. People just walk a nice seat all the time, They walk straight across George Street with earbuds listening to something and they don't think that there's a trem there. But I think a lot of Sydney size because they might not go to the city all that much, just don't have that appreciation that we have trams in the city these days.
Speaker 18: Hello Helen oh Hi Glendon how are you good?
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 16: Thank you.
Speaker 18: So after your conversation. And I do go to this city not on a regular basis, and I don't get the metro or the light trail and I wait, you know where I need to wait, and I see people crossing and I'm thinking, guys, you know the metro is just coming. The train, the train is coming, and all they're doing they're looking at their phone. They try and bid the trend. I actually feel more sorry for the drivers when something happens, because it's not their fault, and yet it's something that they will always you know, they will have to try.
Speaker 2: And why I raise this is because it's been published in the Guardian today, but I've been in contact with some drivers over the past couple of weeks as well who are concerned about this because it has an impact on them. So my argument is, if we could take some action to improve the actual safety of the trams themselves, if if it was affordable, if it wasn't too excessive in taking trams off the rail, surely that's a good idea because reality is hell a lot of pedestrians are stupid.
Speaker 18: And I mean, can I tell you about six or some months ago, I was in the gin. I was wading in the city and I was reading to cross a street and the person next to me, a young lady, was on her and she started crossing the road. I saw the car coming. I actually had to pull her back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, distraction. Distraction is a massive issue. Thank you, Helen Trevor. This is an interesting one on the text line. I actually was employed by the company during the planning and the build and the opening of the light rail lines the two and L three. The Work Health Safety report had what they believed probable and acceptable pedestrian deaths of one per year, so two deaths in five years probably comes under the case of acceptable. Now, recall last weekend, the biggest powerball jackpot ever in Australian history was drawn one hundred million dollars and there was a winner, but it was none registered winner, somebody who bought a ticket at the Bondai Junction news agency and internet cafe. Well, a few days on, there's no side of the winner cannot be found since the last Thursday's draw, so it's almost a week confirmation from the lot. They can't yet find the winner. They don't have any details, so that person has to come forward. So check your power ball ticket. You could be a winner. News is next.
Speaker 1: There, says Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on.
Speaker 2: To GB Temperatures falling across Sydney but still beautiful sunny blue skies. There's a reason the skies are blue this afternoon because New South Wales is going to win Origin two in Perth. The weather in Perth a little bit dubious. There's been a bit of rain around the WA capital today. Full coverage of the Continuous Call team from seven o'clock tonight. More is emerging about sam Jin Azari. This is the twenty six year old who was shot at the kebab shop in Auburn on Monday. The man who currently should be in jail, but he's out on bail because we have a justice system that does not prioritize public safety. The lady who was shot twice at the brother's kebab shop would not be in hospital where she still listed in a critical condition. She's been shot twice in the stomach. She wouldn't be there if the Paramount of Local Court had accepted what the police prosecution case was, their argument that Asari was quote at the Eppi center of Sydney's gang will. As we reported in the program yesterday, there have been four assassination attempts. They keep missing because hired assassins, it appears, aren't very good shots. They keep missing people and then they hit innocent people. But it's now been revealed part of the reasons of why a Tzari's enemies want him dead. You see, he's accused of being the mastermind behind the attempted ripoff theft of four and a half million dollars worth of illegal tobacco from another crime gang in court documents that have been tended to the court case of one of his gang mates. The court documents show that police alleged they were called to the illegal tobacco theft at a warehouse in Condell Park and it was this theft and the plan to steal this tobacco is at the center of the reasons of why so many people in the underworld want this bloke dead. This is exactly what I've been warning about for months now with the growth of illegal tobacco, the cheap illegal stuff. It's the supply of this by the criminal gangs that previously we're spending most of their time fighting over cocaine and cocaine turf, but they're now bringing tobacco into the mix. They fight over the areas where they can sell it, and then in this case, they attempt to rip each other off. They are criminals after all. Now, I completely understand why a smoker who has been smoking for decades and simply can't afford forty to fifty to sixty dollars a packet. Completely understand why you may well buy the illegal stuff because it is everywhere. There're a tobaccoo saw almost every street corner where you can buy it. You can buy it in some service stations, you can bite in fruit and vegetable shops. But the smokes you buy if it's you, and I understand why you're doing it. But those cigarettes are fueling this gang worn now and the result is innocent people like the kebab shop lady are being caught in the crossfire. Now, the biggest issue here is, no doubt, the failure by the courts to a accept the police argument to keep people like this in jail, to refuse them bail. That's the biggest issue here. But the other failure is the responsibility of governments because they're failing all of us when it comes to the way the illegal tobacco market has been allowed to flourish. They've basically encourage good law abiding citizens who are smokers to go and buy the illegal stuff by making the legal cigarettes so expensive through their ridiculous taxes. They think they're doing the right thing, the regulators, the governments, but indirectly it's actually government policy that's now in part responsible for this gang war. This gang war that is seeing innocent people being shot. It seriously makes me really cranky because I've been talking about this on my programs for probably about two years now, all these tobacconists that have opened up. You know, I mentioned it probably eighteen months ago that in my suburb. I know a lot of people now talk about it, but I mentioned eighteen months ago that we had a tobacconist in Angadeine probably forty years. There's four of them there. Now we know what they're selling. Now, who are they supplied by. They're supplied by illegal criminal gangs, and this is the way they operate. They all hate each other, so they're trying to rip each other off, as is the police allegations against Azari. That's why Azari has now been the victim of four assassination attempts. And fine, if Azari is killed at some point, I'm sure his family's gonna be upset. I know you won't be. But the problem is the innocent people who end up being killed in the consequence, like the bloke, and that this is still a lot subject to investigation. But the young guy who arrived home at Condell Park a few weeks back in his ute is reversed up the driveway. He works for his dad, He gets out of the ute and the government comes up covered in black and shoots him dead. Now we don't know why, other than police believe it's a case mistaken identity. We don't know what the gang wore their way. Most of it in Sydney's over cocaine, but increasingly it's over illegal tobacco. And it's the government that's let this grow out of control over the past couple of years. And we're going to see more people, innocent people who were caught up in it.
Speaker 1: And it is just so wrong Sydney now with Clinton Maynard.
Speaker 2: If it's happening and.
Speaker 1: You're sitting you'll hear it on Sydney Now to gb.
Speaker 2: TWEK past four. Now coming up later in the show, I'm going to give you the chance to win. I'm going to spin two GB's Winter Wheel. Now you need the QUEU to call. This isn't the que to call. You'll hear it. It's Kylie Minogue spinning around when we played that. A little later, I'll give you the chance to call our prize line. And we've got so many great prizes give way. We gave away fifteen hundred dollars yesterday. Billy Woods filling in for Mick mac Michael McLaren gave away fifteen hundred a little earlier this afternoon. There's two and a half thousand dollars on the spinning wheel, and there's some other great prizes. We've got to go to. Dentiginy prize pack. Now this is good. You want to look after your teeth. It includes two Dentigenie sonic cleaners, the water flosser, one hundred pack of the tongue cleaners, soft sticks, widening strips, plenty of other Danigenny goodies, plus two hundred and fifty dollars worth of cash so you don't miss out. So everyone's a winner if you make it through okay, so it's a little later in the program. Keep listening for your chance to win. When we spin two GB's winter wheel. It's thirteen past four. Now your favorite minister in the Federal government, the one on Ninty, Chris Bowen, has made a speech in Melbourne today and he has conceded the current system that in part governs the way we pay power bills and electricity bills is not working. It's not serving bill pay as well and it needs to change. The reason for this is that over the last few years there's been a difference in price increases for what we pay here in New South Wales for our power bills and what our friends in Victoria pay. So the biggest annual bill increase in New South Wales in recent times is it's been more than two hundred dollars. In Victoria it's only been one hundred dollars. It's a big difference. So in Victoria they have the Essential Services Commission which sets the maximum bill that retailers can charge. But then in the other states there is the Australian Energy Regulator and they factor in various different issues such as competition between electricity prices. Well, Chris Bowen has made a speech at the Australian Energy Week conference. That'd be exciting to go on. I'll too, wouldn't it. I missed it so sadly anyway, mister Barnes made a speech there and he says I don't think it's working in the way it's intended to, so reform is needed. He admits that the reform pricing mechanism the plan is to bring new South Wales, Queensland and South Australia closer in line to what happens in Victoria where there have been smaller bill increases. Reality is so these reforms, it's good. It's on the agenda. So let's hope that Chris Bowen can actually achieve some change here. What we do know is power prices are going to go up on the first July. Sally Tindler's Canstar's director of research and public Relations, and through Canstar they look at all the different supplies of electricity and try to find the best and most efficient deals. Hello Sally, Hello Clinton, how are you? I'm good? And I've known obviously, we talk about it all the time, the way our electricity prices arising. I didn't realize that the increases in Victoria are actually so much less than ours.
Speaker 10: It's really interesting to see even just looking at the default offers, which most people aren't on. Most people are on a market office, which tend to be lower than in Victoria. The Essential Services Commission have across the five networks in Victoria, I think the biggest increase is ninety dollars for the next year for the average household, but one of them, one of the next works is actually going down by twenty six dollars, and all the other ones in between are a lot smaller than what we're seeing in New South Wales, with osgrit to the average household going up by one hundred and fifty five dollars endeavor and the year one hundred and eighty eight dollars for the average household, and the Essential Energy Network which is in regional New South Wales two hundred and twenty eight dollars, which is a massive hit to the back.
Speaker 2: Pop that's going to be the most is does it come down to the different ways electricity is generated in the States or is it simply down to the way it's regulated.
Speaker 10: I think it's a big mix of different factors. Certainly, yes, rising network costs. It's no surprise that the essential energy network is seeing the biggest rises because they've got such a vast area to maintain. But also there's rising wholesale electricity costs which have been hindered by cold power station averages and weather events, and even lower than expected renewables output in New South Wales. Rising operating costs as well, which is like the cost of doing business running call centers, acquiring new customers and all the rest of it. Now, Minister Bowen today says he flagged that they would strip out the competition allowance that's baked into the Astralian Energy regulators default pricing. That's the regulator that governs New South Wales, Queensland and South Australia Southeast Queensland that is. But interestingly enough, in these default prices that are coming through on the first of January, they didn't apply the competition allowance. They've got this thing where if inflation is higher than the RBA's target band in a sustainable way, they don't apply the competition allowance. So even without that competition allowance applied in New South Wales, the default prices are going up by a lot more than Victoria and certainly now that. So what happens is the regulators announce the default prices and then all the retailers set their own prices and they tend to move in line with the default prices.
Speaker 18: But we've got the.
Speaker 10: Origin prices have come through, the AGL prices have come through. We haven't seen Energy Australia prices come through, but AGL has some customers on overage. Actually in New South Wales they're going up for small business and residential by thirteen point five percent more default.
Speaker 2: So just just to clarify it, because I know some of the jargon goes at the top of our heads. So the default market offer is is that the maximum price that the increase can be. But you just mentioned AGLs going up on more than that.
Speaker 10: Sorry, so the price rise is more than it, but the cost is not likely to be for market plans, if that helps. So the default offers tend to be the price that electricity retailer is charged for customers on default contracts, and they are a safety net for those customers that don't shop around or who can't shop around. Those default prices also act as a benchmark to help you and I compare our market plan more effectively. So when you go on to outside or a lot of other sites Energy made Easy wherever, you will see your electricity plan price in relation to the reference price, and you want to be as low as possible. So you know, say in New South Wales in Sydney, the average plan, the average market plan on our database in Sydney is seven percent lower than the reference price, right or the default price, but the highest discount you can find is twenty three percent lower. That's the kind of target you should be aiming for when you're shopping around for a good dealth.
Speaker 2: So the message is to shop around. So look, I'll admit I've been really silly selly for years. I've just I'm just with the one that was assigned to my house, my street. It's Energy Australia. I did look at it, I must admit I looked at it about two years ago and I found it confusing and didn't follow it up. So does that mean that for somebody like me and I reckon a lot of our listeners will be in that category you're on the default offer.
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Quite possibly, And really switching around isn't as hard as you might think. We've done some research the average time with the provider, So you're not alone here eight point eight years. Forty one percent of people we surveyed had been with their provider for twenty or more years. There was one gentleman that we had serve eight that have been with their same provider since the nineteen seventies. So a lot of people don't shop around because they look at that bill and they go, this is gobblety group.
Speaker 2: I do not understand it whatsoever. And you know, only other problems are I can sell is because you get phone calls from people from unlisted numbers offering your deals, and a lot of us NET has hang up on those worried it some sort of scam.
Speaker 18: Well, absolutely, and you probably should.
Speaker 10: But you can take the bulls by the horns and do it yourself. So you jump onto Canst Blue or Energy Made Easy. There's a couple of different ways you can do it. On our site. You can upload your bill. You know, the robots in the background will read it for you and spit out some more competitive offers. You can go onto our list of different plans and see where your plan sits according to the reference price. That's another way to do it. Or on Energy Made Easy. You go and find your NIM NMI National Metering identifier. That's a number that is unique to your property. You plug that into Energy Made Easy and again it will spit out cheaper plans if they're available. These are all great resources. They can be done really quickly. And once you've decided on someone to switch to a provider to switch to, the rest is like child's play. You fill out a form on their website. I give them some details and they do the hard part for you, which is break up with your old electricity provider. And basically it all happens in the background without you having to do much more.
Speaker 2: It'd be smart. Thank you, Tally. Thanks Sally Tindall. So Sally's tindle some cansday. You can go on the Canser website. You can go onto the Energy Made Easy website as well. You need that NIM that number, but I should do it, and I reckon A lot of us are exactly the same boat word on the street for tempoo a great night's sleep, night after night. The difference is temper. When you see something around Sydney, let me know about it. Gregory's done just that via the text line thank you mate. The M four M five M four m eight tunnel is still a crawl from Ashfield, so it's west bound and he's been touching on that in the traffic wards this afternoon. Thanks for letting us to know about that, Greg So M four M eight tunnel is still a mess. One three, one eight seven three is my number. Well, he might be coming back Josh Friedenburg. Now, of course he did not contest the last election after he'd lost a few years back. He didn't nominate for the seat of Couyong, which he held for many years and has been retained by the til Monique Ryan or developments. This week there's been a vote in his particular electorate and members have voted in some new office holders in the electorate and the executive there understood to be quote Josh loyalists. So what this means is that the branches in that particular electorate in Melbourne, which is quite a well to do area, if Josh Friedenberg decides that he does want to make a comeback, they'll vote for him. It'll clear the path. Reality is, look, there's not enough talent in the front bench the Liberal Party as it is. If Josh Berg says, you know, what Baby, I want to come back. They'll move heaven and high water to get him in the gig again. This is confirmation that the locals in ku Yong do want him back. A quick fact about that song, sure you love it, Baby, come back from player if he was listening to nineteen nineteen seventies the bass player in that band, Ron Moss. You recognize that name, Ron Loss, one of the big stars of Bold and the Beautiful, But he was a bass player before he was a music star. One three, one eight seven three is out number. Lots of messages here about power prices and switching. Chris says, I did compare and I actually switched today. I've now made a saving him one hundred and sixty eight dollars per quarter. But Angela says, look, it is too hard to change. To work out what's cheaper. Anthony says on the text line energy switching is a joke. You need to wait to the first July to use the Energy Made Easy website. You can't actually lock in the prices before the increase. It's ridiculous. Good question from Ian on the text line what time is kickoff tonight for state of origin two? As it's in Perth and they're two hours behind. Well, it's eight oh five. No, no, no, no, no, that does not mean it's ten oh five Sydney time. You don't have to wait up until ten o'clock tonight. It's eight h five Sydney times, so it'll be six oh five precisely in Perth, full coverage with a continuous call team from seven o'clock tonight our time. Let's check out his headlines.
Speaker 13: And we all lates, Katie four Good afternoon.
Speaker 14: Clinton firefighters are urging everyone to check their smoke alarms after a woman in her sixties was killed in a unit fire on Sydney's North Shore. There were no working smoke alarms in the townhouse at Cremorn. Paramedics are treating a man in his thirties who's been hit by a car or on Forest Way at French's Forest. He's in a stable can Flights to and from Bali have been grounded after a volcano erupted in eastern Indonesia. Some Australian travelers are being affected, and Lifeblood is making major changes to blood and plasma donation rules from the fourteenth of July. Sexual activity weight times for plasma donations will be removed, including for gay and bisexual men in sport. The Wallabies squad for the opening test of the year against Fiji will be named tomorrow the side we'll go into camp in Newcastle they begin building up for the series against the British and Irish Lions. Clinton More News at five k.
Speaker 2: Katie, fifteen degrees in the CBD. It's fifteen degrees at Bankstown in the moment. I just want to quickly cross out to Daniel with some dramas on the M four.
Speaker 20: Hello Daniel, Yeah, goodin We've got an old couple left down M four about Homebush where the new entry point meets the old entry point heading west. It looks like they've walked up from Parramatta Ride and got very confused. They're getting in between the two directions of traffic where they merge, looking at the signs, looking very very confused. So just at fall out that they've got a big say coming through.
Speaker 2: To oh g Ge they need to we need to help them get off the road. I think it'd be nice starting with a place. Okay, well, hopefully the emergency services can get there, So just just repeating that location for us, Daniel.
Speaker 20: Yeah, that's that's on the M four homebook where the new entry point means the old entry point.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks, thanks letting to know about that. Hopefully the police will be on the scene quite quickly there, because you certainly don't want them walking around that particular part of the M four. On power price increases, this one from Mark. I got the letter from Origin Energy. Not only is my bill increasing, they're reducing the solar feed in price from five cents to three cents, and they're increasing the surcharge when paying by credit card. It is an absolute route, says our listener. If you'd like to send me a text message, it's really simple. Zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three on Sydney.
Speaker 1: Now you can't handle the truth the streaks.
Speaker 2: Lucy's Elix joins me every Wednesday after Now I know for many years, Lucy, this was a favorite song of.
Speaker 21: Him bos what do you know?
Speaker 22: My gosh, you finally got it.
Speaker 2: I'm playing that today from a legendary band player featuring Ron Moss on bass because there's this speculation that's about that Josh Friedenberg might make a comeback. I've got a question here that I'm hoping you can answer. Peter on the text line says, what did Josh achieve?
Speaker 22: It's a fabulous question, and then off air I posed the question to you. Well, it is interesting, and why are they so desperate for him to come back? On the balance of that, I mean in terms of his achievements, which we're struggling to rack our minds about. Why is there such an insistence that Josh come back? Is it changed for change? For change sake? Do they genuinely believe that he can come in there and fix the problem?
Speaker 2: Well, Amelia Haymer ran for the seat of Couyong at the May election. She didn't win, despite the fact Menique Ryan, I think it's fair to say what to she achieve as a teal, not a lot. What she did achieve, she churned through a few staff. She made headlines for falling out with the chief of staff. There's a bit of negative publicity.
Speaker 21: About her husband ripping off.
Speaker 2: So was that so you would have thought that of all the teer seats, and it was Tim Wilson who won back a tell seat from Zoey Daniel the Cuyong seat, you would have thought, Sorry Goldstein Young, is that the frightened big seat? You would have thought of the seat that could go back to the Tills, it was probably the Menique Ryan.
Speaker 22: I agree, and I think that with all of that negative publicity, in the face of all of that, that if there was going to be a swing, it would have been in that particular seat. I mean, look, let's not forget that at this particular election, the Albanezi the Labor government were able to successfully be re elected in such an emphatic and historic way. Despite the fact that they'd had the failure of you know, the Voice, They'd had a cost of living crisis, energy crisis, immigration issues, and all of these things behind them, they were still able to win successfully. So I'm not necessarily sure what the secret is to winning these days, but I certainly know from the Conservatives it's not to become more left leaning, that's for damn sure.
Speaker 2: Now, just before we get to a topic that we're going to discuss today, and of course we can take your cause and your feedback for Lucy's ellixis half our one three, one eight seven three. Anthony Albernzi has missed out on his meeting with Donald Trump. We understand why because mister Trump's returning to Washington to deal with the Middle East crisis. However, mister Alberzi has today indicated he now may consider going to the NATO conference next week because mister Trump's going to be there, and perhaps you could then jag a meeting with Donald Trump. Then I had one of our listeners suggesting, oh, hang on, hang on, this is Albert can to become Donald Trump's talker, the way he's go chase him all over the world. Do you think maybe you'd be better if we just did this. We could just get out of the back on the plane, come back home. It's not going to work. Whenever you're not going to see mister Trump.
Speaker 22: Whenever I think of that song before I get onto the Trump stuff with Anthony Albanezy, I just think of Ron moss right, who played.
Speaker 21: Ridge in Bold and the Beauty.
Speaker 22: Yes, and I grew up on and I wonder if any of our listeners did as well. My mother and sister, they worshiped Bold and the Beautiful.
Speaker 21: In fact, still watch it. The series is still going today?
Speaker 2: Is it still airing on Network ten just before the five o'clock news, Because I honestly can say I've not watched a full episode of Bold and Beautiful, but when I didn't work these hours, I'd be at home waiting for ten years to start. And they show those those lovely slow motion shots, very moving stuff. It's oh, yeah, it's rights.
Speaker 22: It's gripping television, isn't it. Yes, Well was Ron Moss? To my understanding. I mean, I haven't watched an episode in a very very long time, but I think that that particular character in that it was played by Ron Moss has been moved on now it's been assumed by somebody else.
Speaker 2: We have taken a tangent though, So whether mister as he comes back here or goes to Tonado, what do you think he should do?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 22: Look, I think he's really got to get that meeting. I do think there was a little bit of a beat up. I mean, I'll be the first to say I'm not Anthony Albanize.
Speaker 1: He's biggest fan.
Speaker 21: I think he's a decent enough bloke. Yeah, he's shocked by that.
Speaker 22: But I think in this particular instance, the fact that Trump wasn't able to carry out that meeting with him, regardless of whether it was Anthony Alberize or any other leaders right at the G seven, I know that he was able to meet with Sir Kis Starmer, but with what's going on in the Middle East at the moment, and with Israel's cries for the US to intervene, this was a situation that really warranted Donald Trump leaving to go into the situation room back in DC in Washington and to really start to hash out these discussions because we're not there yet, thankfully, but we are staring down the barrel of what could potentially be a World War three conflict if this is not resolved. And I think that for so many of us, regardless of which side of the fence you sit on, I mean, we are so sick and tired of the death and the death of civilians and what is going on in the Middle East at the moment.
Speaker 21: We need peace, We need a resolution.
Speaker 22: But I don't know that I'm that concerned that he wasn't able to jag a meeting with him off the back of the G seven or during the G seven summit, and Trump himself had said I felt as though I did everything I needed to do there, which is why I went. Is that a slap in the face to Alberineasy, Yes, but we know that he along with his buddy Kevin Rudd had been very critical of Donald Trump over the years, so we'd be foolish to think that that potentially didn't play into how Trump receives and perceives them.
Speaker 2: I've been talking about power prices. Alan says in the text line, I'd like to thank all those people who voted Albow back in and thank them for the gift of another power price rise.
Speaker 21: July one.
Speaker 2: Here we come this message from SIEV regarding Bolden and Beautiful. We are dealing with the big ishues today. Why on earth did they spend the last two minutes of every show staring at each other and being silent? What was it all about?
Speaker 1: Dramatic effect?
Speaker 22: It's really about drawing you in and understanding the gravity of the situation, about the fact that potentially the fashion empire is crumbling for the forest family or forest family part of me, or that you know someone's having an affair. It's really to draw emphasis to.
Speaker 2: That moment Diana and Textline says that Josh Frodenberg actually did manage to balance the budget. He actually managed to clear some of Labour's previous debt in twenty nineteen, just before COVID hit protected hundreds of thousands of dollars jobs by going back into debt as well.
Speaker 21: And he was a straight shooter, and that's fine, that's absolutely fine.
Speaker 22: But ultimately, in the grand scheme of things, why there is such a grand I guess cry for him to come back into the position, I'm not entirely convinced.
Speaker 2: Coming up next, we're going to talk about mental health issues. Lucy Zelich out straight shooter for a Wednesday Afternoon Mark Guy coming up with an origin preview after five thirty. Lucy, you wanted to raise issues about mental health today because a lot of people are falling through the cracks.
Speaker 22: They are, And there was this particular piece by a psychiatrist by the name of Patrick mcgory who wrote in the Herald Sun yesterday where he said, and I quote, there has been a dramatic rise in the number of people who need mental health care falling through the crack. Meanwhile, more people with the genuine need are consuming mental health resources. He also said that proportion of health and medical research budgets to mental health remains stuck at around seven percent, which also very tragically appears to be the exact same as it.
Speaker 21: Was thirty years ago.
Speaker 22: So whilst we have made immense strides in the way that we talk around mental health and the dedication that exists now towards improving it and raising awareness around it. I guess for me, the greatest issue that I had when I read the article was that those who are in genuine need of mental health assistance aren't getting it, But those who are perhaps taking advantage of it, who are perhaps using it as a shield to deflect accountability or perhaps to show up when they're needed the most, whether that be at work or wherever else, are choking up the system. And we know that it is so broken, and it's so choked up at the moment, particularly across New South Wales, and I know that our colleague Mark Levy has been very strong on this issue. I have people who are very close to me who are experiencing mental health issues who find it very difficult to, at the very bare minimum, clinton put their hand up and say I need help. But if they are putting their hand up and saying I need help, they're encountering a system that is very broken and that's unable to afford them an extended period of care. They get a certain allowance for it, and then they're cast back out into the world, and unfortunately they feel very isolated and alone because they can't navigate this on their own.
Speaker 2: What is really tricky, and a lot of us have personal connections to this, is that firstly, it can be very expensive, and that's part of medicine. But if you get a broken if you break your leg, you go forward. It's quite straightforward to get fixed. If you've got a mental health issue, what is critical is that the person suffering the mental health problem has a connection with the person who's helping them, and that can be very hard to find, very challenging, and particularly in the public system. You good luck because what you get, that's where it's so different from somebody who's going to repair your knee to somebody who's trying to help with what's going inside your head.
Speaker 21: That's right.
Speaker 2: If you don't make a connection, you might not the person may not open up in the way they need to know.
Speaker 22: And I have actually myself, I've been to a counselor. I'd lost someone whom I worked with that I was quite close to Les Murray many years ago, the broadcaster, and I found it difficult to process his death. But also my mother who was going through her own cancer diagnosis and having to process that as her daughter who was watching her go through this in six months of chemotherapy. So I lent on really good, solid counseling that was provided to me at the time, and that was through my employment. But it's absolutely critical, as you said there, to find a person who you resonate with, who you connect with, and that's really critical in whether or not you are going to proceed with that particular person. But also and I remember I spoke recently with the domestic violence Prevention Minister, Robin Cahill, and she said to me that particularly a lot of the issues that are going on in the territory with young kids and men around domestic violence. She said, we can place them in courses, and this speaks to your point that you made. We can place them in courses or give them these tools that last only for about say, sixteen week period, and in so many instances that's not enough.
Speaker 21: They need more time.
Speaker 22: And I guess part of my frustration is also around how it's being dealt with at the adolescent level, because there are so many children who genuinely need this help.
Speaker 21: But then on the flip.
Speaker 22: Side of that coin, I had a really interesting conversation earlier today with the well being officer who works very closely as a trained counselor, but works very closely in elite sporting environments with adolescents, but also schools, and he said one of the issues that I'm encountering with young children is that, he said, when they are experiencing issues like anxiety because they have to give a speech or something like that, we're losing that element of hey, come on, We're just going to push you that little bit more and get you into that space. Because what they're being slapped with is a tag of oh, you've got anxiety or you've got to depression, and we need to either medicalize you or we need to keep you from going down that path. And he used this brilliant analogy Clinton where he said, when I get asked to go and speak to schools and deliver, you know, talks around resilience, he said sometimes I kind of laughed to myself a little bit because he said, with the way that we're raising our youth now, we're so afraid, especially when that mental health card gets raised, we're so afraid that if we don't act, there could be dire consequences. But he said, on the flip side, we've lost that ability to kind of encourage them to push through. So he said, it's no good me introducing you to a gym if you want to get strong, but you're not allowed to use the equipment. And I thought that was really powerful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really good point. Our number one three one eight seven three. Lucy'szelich our straight Shooter on a Wednesday afternoon. Lucy's Elich is with me as she is every Wednesday afternoon. I'm get your views on Warwick Kappap in just a moment, because we've been talking about that throughout the program. But firstly, I've got to play it again because Gary's just sent me your message, and Gary says, go and have a look the baby come that video on YouTube. Ron Moss is in an orange jumpsuit or something like that. It actually looks like he's escaped from prison. I don't think the orange jumpsuit is going to come back in.
Speaker 21: How many more times do you reckon?
Speaker 22: You're going to play this five time the program finishes? Where else can you squeeze that?
Speaker 21: And a discussion around fat boy bikes.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'm going to be listening to the State of origin coverage tonight, I'm going to be listening.
Speaker 22: To what's your tip, mate, what's your tip for tonight?
Speaker 2: New Southwales should win. But I think there's been so much controversy in the past twenty four hours with the comments that Billy Slater made about and he's now issued in apology because he brought him the former coach Paul Green and his.
Speaker 22: I didn't like that, I didn't like that he went from start.
Speaker 2: And I didn't like that he was called a grub in the first place, But then the response took Can I just make a little bit the word grub?
Speaker 21: I know, but I've grown up in sport right.
Speaker 22: Both of my brothers represented Australia, very lucky and fortunate to have great respective careers in their own right. My husband is an ex Australia international as well. What I will say is this the stuff that gets exchanged on a football I'm not saying that that's okay, but for goodness sake, and then to reference the previous one that shouldn't have happened. No, it shouldn't have. You picked up a bit, Billy boy.
Speaker 2: But I think there's now so much focus on that and the fact that the queens stands down one Niel. I think there might be so much momentum behind Queensland to well it.
Speaker 22: It can have the opposite effect to it can serve as a distraction, and unfortunately, I think that that's what this exchange has done. I think the Billy would have been better off just letting it slide.
Speaker 2: We've been speaking throughout the program about Wara Kappa, who's been banned for five years by the AFL, and Peter Ford has described him as a quote idiot. But Peter Ford's also questioning whether a five year band is a little bit over the top. When he was having a conversation, I didn't realize this, but he does run a broth or apparently very successful. He made a suggesting that somebody who was serving drinks would be a good worker, and he was overheard in the conversation. Is it over the top the five year band?
Speaker 22: Of course it's over the top. I love Peter Ford, by the way. I think he's great. I'm not going to reference his term and call Kapper an idiot. That's his right if he chooses to call him that, but I think he is absolutely correct in his assertion that it is well over the top. I mean, we literally have elected officials who are calling for more regulatory support for sex workers.
Speaker 21: It is a legal industry.
Speaker 22: And depending which state you're in, they kind of vary in terms of their classifications. But Alex Greenwich, who is a Sydney MP, he was calling for more protections and the decriminalization of it.
Speaker 21: The Greens have a.
Speaker 22: Sex Work is Work initiative, which is a two page document on their website which talks about protecting sex workers' rights over in South Australia.
Speaker 21: Green's leader. This was just in April.
Speaker 22: Green's leader Tammy Franks put forward a bill in the Upper House to decriminalize sex work, with certain elements of the bill permitting infants up to the age of eighteen months. This is legitimate to be within a brothel because it could support working mothers. I mean, this stuff is absolutely insane. I don't agree with any of it. I think it's a joke and I do not support decriminalizing sex work. I don't think that any situation that provides women the only pathway of sex work being a viable job, I don't think that that's something that we should endorse or encourage but our politicians.
Speaker 21: Are doing that right. So the AFL's.
Speaker 22: Decision to bankap of for five years over a comment he alleges he made in private at which someone overheard about a legal industry in this country is just embarrassing. I mean, and this coming from the mob. They're now the morality police, are they? They've got a three strikes policy where a player can get caught doing drugs and all they're going to do is slap out suspensions. This from the group that actually kind of, you know, hid the fact that about are AFL players last year received secret immunity from the codes three strikes drug policy, according to club medical officials. This from them all of a sudden, they've got a moral compass about this. Give me a break five years, that's a joke.
Speaker 2: We're almost at a time there's been some new research that's been released suggesting addiction to gaming and smartphones is starting earlier than we thought.
Speaker 22: Oh, it's really quite devastating. Actually, So this was quite concerning because we've always assumed that this is something that only kids kind of in the teenage years have access to, but a report from Aquara University revealed that children are spending up to nine hours on their screens nine hours a day, and the study surveyed two thousand kids from ranging from year four to eight right, and four percent of these kids showed signs of clinical or subclinical internet gaming disorder. Young that young Clinton, I mean, come on, we don't need big Daddy government to tell us that social media is harming our children. We know this for a fact, So I didn't need Anthony Alberanezi to say, right, we're going to ban under sixteen year olds from accessing social media or the internet in certain instances.
Speaker 21: We know it's doing harm. Parents.
Speaker 22: Please, I'm telling you now, get your kids off their screens and away from social media.
Speaker 2: Is up to us to govern that as well, because kids are smart and they'll get around the government rules when they do. Come in. Lucy, It's always a pleasure.
Speaker 21: Thank you so much. Clinton.
Speaker 2: W PLA this one last time.
Speaker 21: I'll be back next Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Lucy returns every Wednesday afternoon. Frustrated Shooters news is next.
Speaker 1: This Sydney now with Clinton on.
Speaker 2: To GB seven past five one three one eight seven three is our number. There is a lot of news breaking right now. The Daily Telegraph is providing an update of one of the victims of the Auban kebab shop shooting this week. Now this is a twenty five year old. His name is Carlie Tassini. He was the man it's alleged was effectively the bodyguard of Samang and Azara. Now Azara is the twenty six year old who has now had four attempts on his life, the Telegraph is saying, And this is a bloke who's now been shot in the face. The Telegraph is reporting that he may never walk again. Doctors are still treating him in hospital. Shrapnel has traveled through his spine. It's caused significant damage. He may well be in a wheelchair for life. That's the twenty five year old. Now Azara's injuries are not as extreme. He was struck in the shoulder. Now he is the one where there's been four attempts on his life in recent months. And then there is the shop employee who was just doing her job, just working inside that kebab shop. The forty seven year old lady. Well, she remains in a medically induced coma. She was shot twice in the stomach. She's now undergone two rounds of surgery. According to the Telegraph, to remove bullet particles from her She is in a stable condition. She is expected now to make a full recovery. However, she is she is a medically induced coma. One three one, eight seven three. It's eight past five now there's been a massive drama in Melbourne. A shopping center in the suburb of Preston Preston Is in the northeast has been placed in the complete lockdown. A car has smashed through the shopping center. This afternoon. A lady named Tanya has called into My Colleagues program on three MW our sister station Jackie Felgate, who hosts this program on three aw from the Kmart inside the Northland shopping Center, and she's described what's happened.
Speaker 13: Who need to go to Tanya.
Speaker 23: Now we're getting a lot of calls and get a lot of messages on my social about this. Tanya, I understand you're at Northland. What's happened?
Speaker 9: Yes, we're in lockdown in Kmart. Apparently a car on through the shopping center.
Speaker 13: Oh my god, can you see, Tanya?
Speaker 9: I can't see. We're just we're all barricaded in here.
Speaker 13: Have they locked the doors?
Speaker 9: Yeah, they've locked the doors. Everyone ols of sirens going. I think there must be police. I don't know what's happening out there.
Speaker 13: How many of you are inside?
Speaker 9: Good sixty seventy people in.
Speaker 13: Here, okay, and did you hear anything before?
Speaker 9: No, it sounded like gunshots. It was a car obviously, some girls in here saw it and then they quickly all the managers like would be the gates down straight away.
Speaker 2: That is just a short time ago. Tanya're calling my colleague Jackie Felgate on three LW So a car has driven into the Northland Shopping Center straight through into the kmart. Sounded like bullets were being fired, but it's the car. We don't have much further detail other than the Northland Shopping Center which is in Murray Road in Preston, which is in the northeast of Melbourne. It is just in complete lockdown at the moment.
Speaker 5: You want to know what's happening in Sydney, stay tuned to Sydney now with Clinton Laynard on to GMV.
Speaker 2: Well, that's in Melbourne. In Sydney, the city has been shocked by the revelations that have been made by the police today that four teenage boys age from fourteen and nineteen have been charged over a horrific sexual assault of a seventeen year old girl. Now, this occurred in December of last year where the seventeen year old was approached by a mail that she did not know at a shopping center in Liverpool. The mail allegedly followed the girl to her car and reluctantly and this is all going to now it's before the courts. She was allowed inside the car and the sexual assault began. It's alleged the assault which went on for six hours. And this is it's difficult to talk about, but it's something that we have to talk about because for many of you that I know have long memories. We can recall what happened nearly two thousands in this city with the scaff Brothers gang rape. And this will all be playing out before the courts. But we need to talk about this because we need to make sure this stuff doesn't happen again. The rape, the sexual assault went on for six hours now and we're only finding out about this today. In December, two teenagers were arrested, fourteen year old boy and a sixteen year old boy and they've been before the courts as we now know. In December and they were remarded in custody. Well, in the past twenty four hours, another two teenagers have been arrested, an eighteen year old and a nineteen year old. Now those two have been before the courts today. This is prompted a statement that's just been really from the acting Police Commissioner, Peter Thirtill, and I'll read you the statement. Statement says, and alleged horrific crime of this nature drives our investigators to be meticulous in gathering evidence in order to get an irrefutable conviction. Our thoughts with the victim and her family, who will undoubtedly have to live with this alleged sickening attack for the rest of their lives. Detectives worked tirelessly and have done an outstanding job bringing these people before the courts. COVID strategies to identify the roles of each offender were put in place. Both physical and electronic surveillance was used extensively. The moment officers knew they could throw the book at them, arrests were made. So he is referring to the fact that this crime took place in December last year. The two very young teenagers were arrested in December of last year, but now in the last twenty four hours, two older teenagers have been arrested. The acting Commissioner says, if there is anyone who is a champion of public and community safety in this regard, it is the head of the Six Crimes Squad, Detective Superintendent Jane Dougherty and her team, and the Detective Superintendent has also spoken today.
Speaker 24: Beggar's belief that in this day and age that men would think to act this way towards a girl, and to act not just instantaneously, but over a six hour period, continuing to act together and encourage each other and degrade the victim in the way that they did. This is the offending at the highest level that you can think of. And these are yes, they're young men, but even at that young age, they would know that they should know that this is not the way that you could treat another human being.
Speaker 2: So those allegations have alleged sexual assault over the course of six hours will now be tested in court.
Speaker 13: You need to go to Tanya.
Speaker 23: Now we're getting a lot of calls and get a lot of messages on my social about this.
Speaker 13: Tanya. I understand you're at North lad What's happened.
Speaker 9: Yes, we're in lockdown in kmart. Apparently a carved on through the shopping center.
Speaker 13: Oh my god, what can you see, Tanya?
Speaker 9: I can't see. We're just look, we're all barricaded in here.
Speaker 13: Have they locked the doors?
Speaker 9: Yeah, they've locked the doors. Everyone saw the alat of sirens going. I think there must be police. I don't know what's happening out there.
Speaker 13: How many of you are inside?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 9: Sixty seventy people in here?
Speaker 13: Okay, And did you hear anything before?
Speaker 9: No, it sounded like gunshots. It was a car. Obviously some girls in here saw and then they quickly all the managers would be a gates down straight away.
Speaker 2: That is Tanya A called to my colleague Jackie Felgate on three rw She is in the kmart at the moment. Now. The latest information we have is the Northland Shopping Center, which is in Preston's in northeast of Melbourne at the moment is in complete lockdown. We are confident the emergency services there are on the scene right now. We're just getting some clarification through about whether the driver of this car has actually been arrested at this point, but there are sixty seventy odd people inside. This came up right at the moment and they are terrified about what has occurred. It is not clear what the motive for this is. It seems a little deeper than just a simple car accident because the car has ran right through its shopping center. Now the Herald's Son in Melbourne, their News Limited press is now reported the car is stolen, so we now have some more detail just coming through. This is a stolen car. It's not clear though what the motive of this incident is. I'll bring you some more information in the next couple of minutes. It's sixteen past five. Some more details now coming through from the Northland Shopping Center, which is in Preston's in Melbourne, which has been placed in lockdown after this vehicle has crashed straight through the shopping center. The information I'm now receiving is it was a tot Land Cruiser. It was a stolen toyter Land Cruiser. Officers tried to block in the full will drive outside the complex, but the Land Cruiser, one bloke on board, has driven away and then gone straight through the shopping center. Now, fortunately no one's been injured. One woman has been tread for shock and they've had to lock down the shopping center because the bloke is on the run. There's not a suggestion obviously, when you hear things like this, we do think the worst these days that there isn't the suggestion fortunately from Victoria Police that this is in any sort of terrorist attack. But the man who was behind the wheel of the land cruiser is now on the run. This is the same shopping center where less than a month ago there was a machete incident and this was very scary because there was a confrontation between two gangs involving about ten people who runed with machetes and actually had to lock down the shopping center. So if there's a development that I'll let you know about that shortly.
Speaker 1: Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard. If it's happening and you're sitting you'll hear it on Sydney Now. To GB this is.
Speaker 2: An indication that more of us are doing a tough Research has been released today that shows more than half of all office workers are using short term financial tools. So what's a short term financial tool? A payday loan? So people living from payday to payday getting into debt, needing alone earned wage access by now pay later services, which are very popular. This research has been commissioned by Deal. They are a payroll management company and Sharon Shannon character is from Deal. Hello Shannon, thank you for your time, thank you, thank you for having me. This shows that a lot of people are actually doing it tough if they're effectively living from payday to payday.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 25: The report showed that are strains, especially younger Australians want more flexibility and personal choice and benefits and faster access to the wages that they have earned.
Speaker 8: The monthly paypacket is now out of fashion.
Speaker 2: So I've been paid fortnightly my whole career, so more than twenty odd years, a lot of people still paid monthly, a.
Speaker 8: Lot of people still paid monthly.
Speaker 25: Not The research indicates that more over a third of those employees want to be paid sooner than their full nightly or monthly cycle, and that flexibility is becoming more important to those workers.
Speaker 2: Now, your research has shown that a lot of people are seeking cash advances on credit cards, they're seeking short term loans, They're seeking the early deposit of their wages from their from their bosses. Why are they doing that?
Speaker 25: I think customization is boosting employee satisfaction or attention, but there is also some serious financial vulnerability amongst employees and arising demands for higher wages and financial stability and diversified income streams.
Speaker 2: Is it from an employer's point of view? Are they when their employees come to them and say, look, we'd like to get basic in an advance on our on our wages. Are they showing more flexibility with that? Are they able to do that?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 25: Some employees are many many organizations are exploring concepts like earn wage access, being able to access your money as.
Speaker 8: You earn it as an option to attract and retain talent.
Speaker 2: Another indication of the research that you've released showing that a lot of people are doing it tough is the number of side hustles or second jobs that people have is increasing.
Speaker 25: Yeah, we're seeing the cost of living crisis is reshaping the austram of force and it is pushing more workers to take on sarite hustles while many are using financial services, etc.
Speaker 8: Roughly fifty six percent.
Speaker 25: Of austrains right now plan to take on or have taken on site hustles to augment their salaries.
Speaker 2: Yeap, certainly shows a lot of people doing it tough. Thank you Shanli, Thank you Shannon Kaka. Who's some deal. And that's interesting. A lot of people have got to take a lot of second job basically to get by that. They're living from paypacket to paypacket. They're having to use by now pay later, which is schems like after play very popular these days. But they're having to go and knock on their boss's door and say, look, can I have an advance? That's how things getting pretty tough? Gingv winter a Wheel. Well, look, if you are doing a bit of tough, I've got the answer for you. I'm going to spin the Winter Wheel. And we've got forty thousand dollars worth of cash to give away on the Winter Wheel. We are spinning the wheel in breakfast, in mornings, in afternoons right here on Sydney. Now right, you got a call, because that's your cuter call. Be the fourth caller through on the competition line one three hundred seven double two eight seven three for your chance to spin the two GB Winter Wheel. I've been practicing. I was practicing about half an hour ago and I spun two hundred and fifty dollars don't fret. That's a great price. We did spin fifteen hundred dollars yesterday and there's still two and a half thousand dollars there to be one today. So the prize line one three hundred seven double two eight seven three emails togb dot com. Thanks for the message, John. John has just let me know about a power outage in Carrying Bar. So it looks like the electricity is out in parts of the south in Caring Bar. We'll find out from Osgrid, who run the electricity grid in that area what the situation is. Winter Wheel, let's give away some money or some great prizes with our Winter Wheel. We have a contestant online and it's Ronda. Hello Ronda.
Speaker 26: Oh, Hi, so you Clinton?
Speaker 2: It is? How you my friend?
Speaker 26: Oh oh, I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: I can tell well, I have the wheel sitting next to me here. I'm going to give it a really big spin.
Speaker 26: Oh thank you. I'm going to heard the big one went off before and yeah, but I'm just so grateful that I'm through.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to go anti clockwise because I've got a feeling. See I went clockwise during my warm up run and it was a good prize. But we could have done a bit better. So I'm going to go anti clockwrise for you. Okay, ready, here we go, Here we go. I'm going to get pull them out. There we go. You can hear it.
Speaker 26: Thank you.
Speaker 2: It is going round and round and round. I think we're probably going to get about to our twenty six circulation. There we're clicking through one thousand dollars clicking through Denti Genie and yes it is the Denti Genie Prize. Congratulations, this is a good This is good, this is good. This is going to put a smile on your face. You've won the Go to Genti Jennie Prize and two hundred and fifty dollars in cash.
Speaker 26: Oh well, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: We're going to send you out a go to Dentigenie sonic cleaner, a go to Dentigeny water flosser, one hundred pack of double floss, one hundred pack of tongue cleaners, a fifty pack of soft sticks, a widening strip, lots of other goodies, and two hundred and fifty thousand, two hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 26: That's amazing, that is just so good. Thank you so much. Alie said of a night smile with all his products.
Speaker 2: Y night, your smile will be stunning. I want you to send a photo to us. Hey, that'd be great. Good on your wonder. We are going to play again tomorrow morning with Ben Fordham in our breakfast show. Mark Levy will spin the wheel. Bill Wood's filling in for Mick Mac tomorrow noon and I'll have another chance to win on Sydney Now Thursday afternoon, and with the latest headlines, Katie.
Speaker 14: Fuller, Good afternoon Clinton. A Melbourne shopping center has been plunged into lockdown. A stolen white suv has careered at the speed through the Northland Mall, sending shoppers running for cover and screaming. Acting Police Commissioner Peter Thurtel says his thoughts are with this seventeen year old girl who was a victim of an alleged terrific sexual assault. For males aged fourteen to nineteen are in custody over the attack which took place at Liverpool. A Sydney plumber is among three men in custody in Bali, accused of shooting two men at a luxury villa. An Australian man was killed in the attack, and there's been a seven hundred percent increase in children injecting ozempic to manage diabetes over the past three years. Figures from the TGA showed children as young as twelve being prescribed the drug to control weight in sport, crowds are already pouring into OPTAs Stadium in Perth, getting ready for the Blues and Marons to do battle in State of Origin too. Clinton More news at six.
Speaker 2: Think Katie twelve degrees in the city, nine degrees in the western suburbs. Finance Update the Money news tonight via podcast. So if you want to hear deb night, you're going to need to download our podcasts, which I know many of you do. Nightly, Hello dev.
Speaker 21: Hello to you Clinton.
Speaker 27: All that talk of the cold temperatures, I have not been able to get warm today.
Speaker 13: Not once I was.
Speaker 2: Walking through Darling Harbor, would have been about ten o'clock this morning, went for a walk. The weather was stunning this morning. The blue sky is beautiful because the pick of the Blues win tonight. But I actually found the temperature wasn't too bad. Maybe it's with Darling Harbor because you've got that enclosed space you.
Speaker 21: Can find some shelter from the wind.
Speaker 27: You're laughing at a nice sunny spot, but anything shady and anything with a bit of a bruise, it's just really cold.
Speaker 2: How did the market's fed today?
Speaker 27: The markets are a little bit uncertain today. It's all that uncertainty about what's happening in the Middle East with Iran and with Israel. That's really playing on the markets. And we did see some ups and downs. But in the end, the ASEX two hundred finish lower down point one percent, ten points lower to eighty five hundred and thirty one. Tech stocks are a bit higher, but offset by big losses in materials and the dollar, the currency. It's come back a bit from yesterday as well. It's currently buying sixty five point one against the greenback.
Speaker 2: We won't hear your program live on TWOGB tonight. You'll be across our other network stations because we're broadcasting the state of origin. We can download the podcast though, but you are going to look at what's called footy nomics, Yes.
Speaker 27: The economics of sport, which I'll be speaking to Professor Tim Harcourt, who's a well regarded economist.
Speaker 21: He's got a new.
Speaker 27: TV series in fact, looking at how much money is driven into the economy through not just fans of sport, but the fact that you travel for big rounds like the gather Around in the AFL and with the State of Origin happening in Perth, a lot of fans go to cities to watch games and it's generating a lot of dollars. So it's also soft diplomacy. The p ANDNG new team for the NRL is all about trying to beat the rise of China.
Speaker 21: In the region.
Speaker 27: So yeah, it's just an interesting look that it's not just about the game, but there's a lot more to it. The dollars and cents that are spent bring a lot of money to the economy.
Speaker 2: Sure do You're also going to talk about skin influences.
Speaker 27: Yes, skinfluences, Well, this is it Like the rise of influencers has meant that there's a whole new market in the beauty sector, the beauty and cosmetic sector. And these are usually kids who are under ten and my young daughter who's nine, she loves skin products beauty products as well, and it's all being driven by people watching on YouTube, others applying makeup, applying skin care and it's a massive, growing booming industry, and a lot of people are buying beauty products, not necessarily for themselves. It's probably better for older skins, but you've got more and more kids doing it. So yeah, just some startling information which I'll share on how much a ten year old skinfluencer who does YouTube tutorials, how much she has in products, and how much she's wanting and encouraging others to buy.
Speaker 21: It's quite terrifying.
Speaker 2: What's the shop in the city, Mecca, Meccha, Flora, all across this stuff. But I know my fourteen year old she wanted Mecca vouchers last Christmas.
Speaker 27: Normally it's the Barbie Doll, but now it's the Mecca vouchers. That's the under the Christmas tree wish list.
Speaker 2: Deb. We can download your podcast tonight. You certainly can Debnight with Money News. Make sure we listen to the podcast.
Speaker 1: On Sydney now.
Speaker 5: A weather update will be here to help in unexpected weather.
Speaker 1: NRIM insurance, a health company.
Speaker 2: Okay, it should remain dry in Sydney dece evening. Maybe not the state of origin. Two. We'll checking with MG in a moment about the weather conditions in Perth's been a little bit of rain about Perth today right now in the city twelve degrees, nine degrees in the western suburbs. Right tomorrow mostly sunny eighteen degrees, little cloudy and frosty in the morning, but it should be sunny by the afternoon. Friday should be a sunny day seventeen degrees, the cloud clearing on Saturday, with eighteen partly cloudy on Sunday, sunny by Monday of next week. Where is Sydney that's sick, we flat, Sulma Fiji that's sick, que flat.
Speaker 1: Where is Balaville that's flat.
Speaker 2: Queens So the question is where is Perth? I reckon The Queenslanders are going to claim Perth tonight. Our own Mark Guyra is in Perth for the Continuous Call team. Hello MG, Hello Clinton.
Speaker 19: They can try and claim it, mate, but I don't think it's going to work because I can see a lot more blue at the ground now that we've arrived at Opta Stadium than I can see Maron out the front of this fantastic stadium that honestly, it looks like a little bit like Noah's Ark from the outside, but once you come into the to the building proper up it is majestic or the I'm in the corporate boxes now will be broadcasting from tonight and there's plenty of room. It's fantastic accommodating and the crowd are starting the trickling as we speak. Is it's bizarre because there's only three thirty seven here at the moment, so it's kind of the calm before the storm.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: I know they have played Origin at that ground previously, but as from where you're sitting at the moment, the fact it's an oval rather than a rectangle, is that going to affect the game? Do you think? Well, I've been here before.
Speaker 19: I was here in twenty nineteen as a commentator and I was here in twenty twenty two as just a spectator. And the buzz once these guys run out tonight is un bloody believable because it is an AFL field, but it's all in closed. Usually you know, if you go to the MCG, it's you know, you're a lot further back from the action than we are here tonight. It's bizarre how it's the configuration of the field is because we're really closed. It's kind of like being at paramount of stadium. It's that close to the action. But the ground is this all the seats are up really high and close to the ground. So this you know, at eight o'clock tonight, this roof, if it had a refinement stable. We lifted up a bit of a weather updatein It's at about thirty mils of rain Clinton in the last twenty four hours here. Who that helps, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We'll soon see.
Speaker 19: But there is expected rain tonight as well, off and on, but not too much. The drizzle is going to stick around, but they reckon up to maybe another five meal before kickoff and then maybe another five million of rain.
Speaker 1: Once the game is on.
Speaker 2: The focus of the past twenty four hours has been on Billy Slater and what he said yesterday. Today he's issued an apology. Now this is in response to what Aaron Woods said, calling Billy Slater a grub, and then Billy responded by unfortunately bringing Paul Green, the late Paul Green, into the discussion. This is what Billy Slater has said today.
Speaker 28: Yesterday, I wrongly made the link between Paul Green's death and the stress and the pressures of coaching, which wasn't accurate nor was it appropriate.
Speaker 2: I feel terrible about what.
Speaker 28: I said, and I spoke to Amanda Green this morning and apologized for any.
Speaker 13: Hurt that it may have caused her.
Speaker 2: And her family.
Speaker 28: I just want to say this, Paul had CTE. That's a different disease to to.
Speaker 2: What I was referring to.
Speaker 28: Once again, I'm deeply and genuinely sorry.
Speaker 2: MG. Billy Slater there.
Speaker 19: You know what, Clinton, It's been bizarre. It's been it's it's left the kind of a nikky taste in my mouth this whole week.
Speaker 2: It's been very spiteful.
Speaker 19: A lot of people say, oh, it's good for the game and we're talking about it, but I don't think it is. I think I think it's it's kind of gone to the next level in this week. You know. Obviously Woodsy the timeline Wouldsie said that Billy was a grub. Billy responds, and unfortunately he uses poor Green. I actually thought that Billy must have already spoken to Paul Green's wife, because the way that he went on, I thought he must have said something too. Of course, I hope she doesn't find out this way. Woods You then responds and then Billy apologizes. I mean, that's it's been a bit dicky to be honest, I found it not in the spirit of the game, the way that this is unfolded. It's not pumping every anyone up.
Speaker 28: Well.
Speaker 19: I think both both Woodsy and Billy would probably reflect on this week and go, you know what, maybe we could have handled it a little bit better if given that opportunity. But it's done now. All we've got now is the game. And once the game is done and dusted, Clinton only one of these guys will be able to put a smile on their dial because it's it's South Wales win, the series is ours and if coinsland when we go back to Sydney for the this sider.
Speaker 2: Kick off eighth five our time, six oh five perth time. If you were to nominate a couple of dangerous players, who would they be?
Speaker 19: As a News Earth Welshman, I'm very worried about Cameron Munster being named captain. I'm very worried about their foward pack underperforming in the first game, because you just know they're going to come back this game. Jerome Lowe, the new South Wales I want to keep my eye on him. I think he's in for a big night. I even think he might get mad of the match tonight on the back of him being recalled when he thought that maybe his origin career was over. So Jerome for the man of the Match tonight, and I think it's going to be one of them clashes. Maybe we mightn't see over forty points. It might be like eighteen sixteen, eighteen fourteen, But I think New South Wales will prevail Clinton and they'll bring the shield, will contain, retain the shield and bring the dead rubber back to a Corse stadium in a couple of weeks time.
Speaker 2: Now, MG, you know I'm a bit quirky when it comes to my football. Okay, looksucky kind of guy. A couple of years ago, the Blues played there and they wore Navy jerseys and I thought it was an outrage because the Blues should be sky blue. They were wearing navy, which you associate with Victoria. Now I've just seen a shot of Jowie John's part of the Channel nine preparation right now as we speak, he's holding up Jowey is holding up eight sky blue jersey. So it appeared to me the Blues will be wearing the proper jersey tonight.
Speaker 19: Hallelujah. How loo a you I think it's the right thing. I'm with you, Clinton, with you one hundred percent. When I think of New South Wales Origin, I think of the sky blue, not the Navy blue.
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 19: It's more Victoria than we are and tonight, Yet Joey Johns is in the middle of up to stadium right now with that jersey, so he must be telling the Channel nine audience that this is the jersey in the New South Wales Blues will be playing in tonight.
Speaker 2: I am wearing. I am wearing. I'll just put a plump it on my head. I am wearing a Navy blue official New South Wales State of Origin retro cap that mind you. Hey, just one last one for MG. We were talking a little bit earler in the program about where future Origin matches should be played. Whether we go to New Zealand Hobar when the stadium's finally built there. Where would you like to see Origin played in the future.
Speaker 19: Look the way that rugby league is skyrocketing in New Zealand. Look, I think that the twentieth team will eventually be on the South Island and New Zealand, and I think one day, give it fifteen twenty years, we're going to see them to the North and the South Island have a similar concept introduced to their country, which we like a state of origin will be the North Island stayed on the South Island. So I'd love to take one to Eden Park or somewhere somewhere in New Zealand which could accommodate the origin. I reckon would go through the roof. But the poor Kiwee's, thank god, this is a bit different because the game starts two hours earlier over here, so they'll get it in a decent time. But most origins, the poor Kiwe's are not getting it until ten pm at night, so let's give them a game. I think it'd be fantastic to see a game in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Agreed. Good on you, MG. We're going to hear you on the Continuous Call Team led by Levy tonight from seven o'clock.
Speaker 19: Thanks buddy, talk soon.
Speaker 2: Make sure you're listening tonight seven o'clock. The Continuous Call Team will be an action word on the street for Temper. If you see something around Sydney, if you want us to investigate something that is word on the street Temper A great night's sleep, night after night. The difference is temper message from John Lidlurly about power outages in Caringbar. We've just been in contact with Osgrid. At the moment there are no power outages. The electricity is working at the moment in caringbahself may well have been there was an outage, but it's now been restored, so that's the good news. You will be able to State of Origin tonight. You'll be able to listen to it on two GB without any problems with the power. Now talking about Origin, and I've got a couple of tickets to give away to the Professional bull Riding Origin Series. Now, if you'd like to win, all you have to do is play the quiz this afternoon one three, one eight seven three. It's very simple. I need two contestants. Whoever can answer the most questions in their thirty seconds will win a double pass to the PBR Professional bull Riding Origin event which is coming to Sydney in July. So if you want to play one three, one eight seven three eleven to six. The Treasurer, Doctor Jim Chalmers, addressed the National Press Club this afternoon and he confirmed there will be a round table summit on productivity. There will be a three day Well, it's not a talk fest. He's not calling it a talk fest. He's calling a productivity summit. Wouldn't be very productive if it was just about talking. But it'll be held in August and there will be a select number of people who will be invited, including the Prime Minister. Has not confirmed that Susan Lee is come along. She's expressed some desired to attend the shouldn't say talkfest three day productivity summit, but he's also indicated he may open the door for tax cuts if tax cut is recommended in the summit, it could be a possibility. Well, it's Sunday's birthday. It appears we've only just discovered that Liam, who is our technical producer the program, is celebrating his eighteenth birthday to day. So Liam, happy birthday, my friend. It's great to have you on board as part of the show.
Speaker 29: You're an absolute lenchend and happy birthday to Liam.
Speaker 2: He reckons he's twenty five. No, he's not a day over eighteen hour.
Speaker 5: Liam be a part of Sydney Now with Clinton. Maynard called one three one eight seven three.
Speaker 2: An ad to doing Tonight as part of the State of Origin coverage and you add for Kia, and they've invited all the celebrities as part of the advertisement, lots of sports stars, including Jeff Tuvy and Jeff t V. In the ad. Is going to play a plumber and he is going to what are these words?
Speaker 1: There's got to be an investigation into this. Someone's going to be accountable for this.
Speaker 2: Seriously, he's going to use those words as a plumber. But what I don't understand is Jeff Tuv is not just a highly regarded football critic and former coach the manly sequels. Jeff tu V is a very well regarded accountant. Now I don't think he does a lot of it anymore. He is used to conducting financial investigations.
Speaker 1: There's got to be an investigation into this. Someone's going to be accountable for this.
Speaker 2: He is an accountant, I assure you. So they didn't need to pretend that Tubbs was a plumber. He could have just played the role of it as an accountant.
Speaker 1: Time to expose your minds.
Speaker 21: You may begin your questioning.
Speaker 24: Sidney now as questions questions informing patentiy.
Speaker 1: I know how you are, and that's a question. Get right. Linton's quick quiz.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's play the quiz for a Wednesday afternoon. We've got two contestants online. Hello Daniel, Hey, how you go? I'm good? And Lazarre sin Campbetown.
Speaker 11: Hello, good a Clinton?
Speaker 9: How are we?
Speaker 2: I'm good? My friend? Hey, who's gonna beIN origin?
Speaker 9: Who got the blue?
Speaker 2: The Blues? I'll tell you what, because you're a Blue supporter, you can go first. Your thirty second stouts now. Ziggy Stardust was a fictional character created by which songwriter David Bowie. True or false? Munich is the capital of Germany? False, it's Berlin. What is the mobile phone named after a robot? The mobile phone model named after a robot? Seem android? Which year? I'm going to ask you one more question, because you're a good fellow. Which year did the Sydney Opera House open?
Speaker 8: Ah before?
Speaker 5: Nah?
Speaker 2: Not seventy four but seventy three. Unfortunately I've given you extra time. You have finished with zero. You're not out of it. We've actually had a tiebreaker with zero previously. Now, Daniel, you've got to get one right. Okay, you reckon, you can do that.
Speaker 8: Hopefully, give me an easier question than these one. Steeve okay.
Speaker 2: Former Beetle Ringo Star was the first storyteller for which children's TV show us Thomas the Team Engine. How many siblings did Ned Kelly have? Eight or ten? Eight? Correct?
Speaker 29: Guess what You're the winnerdie, Well done, Daniel. Congratulations, We're going to send you out a double pass to PBR Australia's Origin three.
Speaker 2: That's professional bull riding. You can get tickets online PBR Australia dot com dot au. They are contesting Origin three the fifth of July. Congratulations Daniel, bad luck Zaris zero not probably your finest performance. We'll play again tomorrow. Layers from Melbourne where a major shopping center has been placed in the lockdown. It's the Northland Shopping Center which is in Preston's in the northeast. The driver is still on the run. So what's occurred a total land cruiser that was stolen and the police are in pursuit of it. It's like crashed straight into the shopping center and there's been all these people in the kmart made calls to our sister station throughout w and Jackie Felgate from inside the k Mart who've been terrified and the building was actually locked down for some time so that emergency services have sworn the scene. They have not yet found the driver of this vehicle.
Speaker 5: And now a preview of what's coming up on wide World of Sports.
Speaker 1: With six hundred and four kilometers.
Speaker 5: Of range, the Kia EV three is your twenty twenty five World Car.
Speaker 2: Of the Year.
Speaker 5: Visit your nearest Kia showroom to test drive yours today.
Speaker 2: Origin two coming up tonight kick off his eight point five continuous Call team on air from seven o'clock. Before that, Whitewater Sports with Hawsey.
Speaker 1: Get a Clinton Yew.
Speaker 2: I've been left behind with you.
Speaker 9: I didn't.
Speaker 30: I didn't trust myself to head out with MG checking out the night spots of Perth. So I'm just going to stay here and hold the fort, have a barbecue at home. MG will be car hosting from up to stadium. Peter Hlandy's boss of the Auroral Commission, You'll be dropping in for a chat as well.
Speaker 2: Oh good stuff. Where do you think future Origin games? And I know it's now tradition to play one into state or at a neutral venue. Do you think we could take it overseas well?
Speaker 30: I think the early place would be Auckland. I think it should stay in the heartlands, mate, that's where state of origin belongs. I don't mind it going occasionally in the state, but Auckland for me would be the end of it. But then there's a time zone issue there, so I think I think that's about it.
Speaker 2: Darren's actually made just that point in the text line because you'd end up having if it was going to be played at the same time. Here it's a ten p ten o'clock. It's just not gonna work. We actually have to play it on Sunday. I reckon it might be have to be a outdake.
Speaker 30: So many questions, mate, but let's just embrace Perth for the time being. Around sixty thousand there. It's been a bit of a wet day, but hopefully it's going to be a hot game. And Danika Mason also will drop in for a chat from nine to preview the big game. You tip Blues always Blues Blues by ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think that the Blues should be too good. I just worry whether the Morons will galvanized with all this drama and the Sharks reverse. I think I've got my Blues Blues Cappy. I think it'll be the Blues. Thanks Hawsey wild Water Sport's coming up from six o'clock tonight. Continuous Call team on air from seven with Levy and the Boys before John Stanley. Lad it's not don't forget the Winter Wheel will be back on Sydney Now tomorrow. That's Sydney Now,