Speaker 1: On two GV at network stations. This is Afternoons with Michael McLaren.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is good afternoon. Thank you for joining us. Wednesday, beautiful day outside, gorgeous day. In fact, it is May twenty eight, and it is nice to share the afternoon with you. We're hit till three o'clock, of course, one three, one, eight seven three. But tonight that's when it's all happening. Tonight's state of Origin one. I can't wait. Well, we say that we're going to have to wait, n't we because well, they're not going to play it earlier, just because we can't wait. Marke Levy of course calling his first origin with the Continuous Call team and Mark, you're going to do a magnificent job. Everyone is very confident of that. It'll be a good match. It'll be a really good match. I think the Blues have the better side, but they're playing in Brisbane obviously, and so that negates a bit of that advantage, i'd argue. Anyway, we'll have a look at that later on. Chucks brought his footy tips to us, so i'll share his origin prediction with you as well. I won't remind you that he got zero from five last. We'll just leave that one behind us and move on. Many people did. Later this hour my special guest, the former Prime Minister Scott Morrison, and I'll speak to him obstensively about this idea that Orcus is developed beyond stage one and stage two into what I think he would call stage three, and that was a focus on space. Now the theory here, I think is quite sound, and that is you push, you push for this third tararch of Orcus, as it were, and you make Australia an even more valuable ally in the trilateral relationship. Now in some respects. Look what America have done with Ukraine. Now, Ukraine have some similarities to Australia geopolitically, from a mineral and resources point of view, strategically for the United States, and the Americans have just done this rare earth and minerals deal with Ukraine. Now, I'm sure Ukraine didn't really want to do it, but they've agreed to it because it positions American capital, American business, and American individuals in Ukraine like never before. And therefore, if Ukraine comes under attack, I think the thinking in Kiev would be, well, the Americans be far more likely to get involved more immediately and defend Ukraine's sovereignty because America has skin in the game. Now, we've already got Pine Gap, and we've got a long standing military relationship, a rotation of American troops through the top end and the lake. But if on top of atomic submarines and missiles and the other military componentry of orcust stage one stage two, we then take it to stage three with space capabilities. Not to say we're gonna have Cape canaveral up in the top end, but that we fill some plugs and some gaps, which we are in a position to do, then we become an even deeper and more entrenched ally for the United States and by extension, the United Kingdom. I guess the thinking is, if push comes to shove, they're therefore more likely to come to our defense because our defense is also by extension their defense. Anyway, that's my theory, but I'll leave all of the explanation to Scott Morrison later. At this hour, now after one o'clock, I want to look at a different issue. I give the Citny Morning Herald's credit. They put this in the paper today. It's a very important issue, and I think a lot of parents and grandparents are very worried about the exposure of their young children and grandchildren to pornography. Now, I think we'd all be completely naive lying if we said none of us had ever seen anything pornographic. All we've got to is put SBS on it Friday night after ten o'clock and it's all there. But the online situation is far more graphic, and it is seemingly everywhere these days. Now there are reports that children as young as ten nine an eight are being exposed and frequently to pornography and this is changing their perceptions of their female classmates. Tends to be the boys, but not only the boys, but it's changing their mindset toward their female classmates at a very young age. Now, this is an age where they can't really comprehend what's going on. And although the innocent exposure, the accidental exposure, might be the first exposure, if they become over exposed to these terrible images, they will then no doubt go and seek them themselves. So we create a big problem. I want to speak to Melissa Abu Gazale. She's the founder of an organizations to charity called top Blokes, and that's in regard to all of these warnings about children in fact as young as six, I think I said ten to seven and six accessing pornography. It's a big issue. Whereas once upon a time, you know, someone's dad might have had a couple of playboys under the bed and you know you saw them. These days, with the Internet and so called smartphones, very very graphic stuff is being shown to very vulnerable mind it's a problem and a lot of parents, in fact a lot of young boys, no, it's a problem, but they don't know what to do about. They don't know where to turn. That's why I speak to Melissa about all of that. Blake will be here with Pretzel wealth. Of course, we had the inflation numbers Banksmack where the RBA wants them two point four percent the headline figure. As I said, we'll get the footy tips from Chuck later. And we have had the coalition agree to a new official reunited Opposition force, so the Nationals and the Libs back together. Now. The exact details of that agreement around say the Regional Future Fund or nuclear power or divestiture or whatever. The exact details still remain unclear, but they will have been worked out to a degree. As I said, my bet from last week was that the nuclear issue would be resolved to the extent that the Liberals would pledge to support lifting the morator aureum, the ban on nuclear power, but nothing more. The rest will be left to be worked out or whatever the language will be. I think that's where they will have got to on that, and that'll be enough for the Nats for the time being. They understand united, they'll fall together. They've got half a chance to do something, so they're back together. Later today we're going to find out who gets what in Susan Lee's shadow cabinet. Now, this will be interesting, This will be interesting. Sky sources all over the place saying they believe this person's going to be shadow treasurer, this person's out, and okay, let's see they're probably right. But my attention this afternoon will be on two different issues. Where will Tim Wilson end up? And I would be incredibly surprised if it isn't somewhere within the Treasury orbit shadow Assistant treasure or something like that Finance minister who knows. But also let's see where just Senter Price is put, if anywhere, if anywhere, there is a rumble that at best she'll be an assistant shadow. Yeah, not much. In other words, you'll be there, but nowhere near the center of power. Now, look, I get you didn't have an incredible campaign. No one did. But there again, she probably wasn't allowed to have much of a campaign. That was an oversight by the Liberal machine behind the scenes. You gotta let her rip a bit. Centerprice could be if she goes down the right path and is guided in the right way with the right portfolio, she could be a future prime minister. She could be our first indigenous prime minister, and that would be something very significant if the Liberal Party were able to deliver it. And yet if they suppress her shadow portfolios, then there is no way she'll get to that potential end destination. There's very few in the shadow front bench whatever it's going to be announced later today that anyone can envisage as a future prime minister, very few of them. But Centerprice is one that I think could, if given the right run, get there. But if the hurdles are put too high at the beginning of the steeplechase, she won't go anywhere. Now, the Liberal Party, Susan Leip has to think carefully about this. There'll be moderates and whatever. Oh, she's a radical right wing I can't let her. Okay, you've got to get just enterprise out of indigenous affairs to an extent. Let her dabble a toes in some other ponds elsewhere. Try and see if she's got what it takes in something associated with health or education or something like that, a more broad portfolio. And if she succeeds, if she can hold the government alternative to account, she will start to build up her broader cudos. But they've got to make that happen. So today will be a test. Let's see what happens when you set a price one three, one eight seven three the number keep the text coming all day, of course, zero four's zero six. I don't know. Hang on, what are we zero four six, zero eight seven three eight seven. There's one for you, and there's always there. I should get it right by now. There's always the email as well asn't there TGB dot com Click on the feedback icon. Okay, well, where are we? Almost nineteen past twelve? Interesting comments were made the other day, by the way, by the former Northern Territory Chief Minister Shane Stone, and the comments are about the issue of poker machines. Now, you recall last year the broader issue of gambling reform was a pretty hot topic, Peter Dutton effectively leading from opposition calling for a crackdown on betting ads during live sport. Now there was about as close to bipartisan supporting political circles as you're likely to get, except when it came to actually putting the sentiments into legislation, the Government balked and next to nothing, of course, has been done ever since. Now, make no mistake, the gambling lobby in this country are extremely powerful and their lobby no which doors to knock. And probably nowhere is this more obvious than when it comes to the saturation of poker machines in places like New South Wales and the Northern Territory. Now, despite former prime ministers and premieres all agreeing that we've got way too many of these things per capita, nothing of course, has ever done to rein it in And like the debate about the Australian Flag or Australia Day, the issue of poker machine seems to come and go from the headlines with monotonous regularity. So back to Shane Stone. Now speaking to the Financial Review, he admits his main regret twenty five years on from leading the territory was squibbing gambling reform. As he said to Zoey Samuos quote, if I had had the courage of my convictions, I would have wound back the poker machine numbers. But I didn't do that. As he went on to say, I wish we never had poker machines in the Northern Territory. They were already there when I got there, but they also expanded on my watch, as they did on every chief minister's watch. Now, look, I give mister Stone great credit for such honesty, but I'll lask too many of our political class only express such candor, clarity and conviction when removed from the shackles of office, And of course by then it's too late. As the saying goes, we're all wise in hindsight, But when it comes to poker machines, it seems that saying is akin to a commandment. And now Stone, look, he's not advocating for prohibition or banning poker machines. Of course, that wouldn't be possible, and I don't think it'd be useful because it had just defer the issue of problem gambling elsewhere. But he does suggest that state governments introduced stricter measures to minimize the harm that these things can cause. Now again, who could disagree? But then you have to remember that there are three beneficiaries of the millions and millions poured through poker machines every week. One is the company that owns them, the other is the pub, club or casino that houses them, and the third is the state treasury. Now forget the Northern Territory for a moment. Right here in New South Wales we are second to only Nevada when it comes to poker machines, with more than eighty eight thousand of the things, or one for every ninety two people. And of course, if you start to slice and dice those numbers based on postcode or area, there'd be places where the ratio is far close to one in fifty or lower. But as Shaneestone says, the government's very reluctant to act because of this addiction to revenue from paying machines. Now that revenue are you sitting down? Was close to two point twenty five billion for Macquarie Street a year or two ago two point two five billion, close to five percent of the state's annual tax revenue. And while John Howard has even declared poker machines a grave social evil, and he said that he'd be willing to push the Liberals to take on the gaming lobby, the real question that has to be asked is this, what does take on the lobby actually entail? Because you know, there's no point just saying we're going to get tough on the gaming industry or gambling industry without having a solid plan about what that looks like in practice. I mean, is it going to be cashless gaming cards, of forced reduction in machines, and beyond the slots, will there be an effort to rein in all of those ads around live sport. I mean, all of this sort of stuff has to be worked out first. But look, I won't be holding my breath. It's not as if problem gambling and the ubiquity of gaming machines is breaking news. Residents of New South Wales alone threw over eight point six billion dollars into pub and club poker machines just last year. Story's abound of young men in particular ending up in horrible situations from blowing the lot on these gambling apps, which becomes synonymous with footy, cricket and tennis. Marriages have been lost, families torn apart, house are sold, and yet, aside from removing those ridiculous Neon signs with dragons and cascading coins from pub doorways, very little has been done. Now. The pair Day government took a significant gambling reform agenda to the twenty twenty three election but lost. Dutton tried to do something about it and lost. I'm not sure Chris Men's is eager to do too much in this space now. As I always say when this issue comes up, the inter libertarian in me acknowledges the issue of personal agency. And you know, in an ideal world, yes, people without money to spare will just walk past the poker machine or leave the betting app alone. But that utopia isn't the real world, and governments that profit from gambling and who have the power to regulate gambling have a responsibility to minimize as best as possible the harm caused by gambling. Now, in my opinion, they're not doing enough and it's a shame. Only those who are ex politicians seem to be the ones leading the calls to act twenty eight minutes past twelve one three, one eight seven three, Keep the text coming zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. I'll get to some of the texts in just a moment. Are Scott Morel will join me later this hour. Don't forget we're going to We've got this incredible prize this week for you, and each day we're going to put one of our lucky listeners in the draw to win the National Wine Festival Prize. It includes two nights accommodation at the Extraordinary Park Hyatt in Canberra, two tickets to the trophy presentation dinner at Parliament House, and two tickets to the Expo tasting event. This is part of the National Wine Festival. Now you're going to have to listen for the cuta call. We'll play it later in the program and when you hear it one three, one eight seven to three and three you come and the nominated caller goes in the draw will announce the winner on Friday. The cut call the song that you got to listen out for is this one bit, So when you hear that later in the show, get on that open line as quick as a flash, and if you're the nominated caller, you're going to the running for the Great Princess super Prize with the National Wine Festival one eight seven three On the text, interesting note came through. So we'll speak about this issue of pornography and the young ones a little late. It's something I know many of you because you've written to me about it worried about. And a lot of people, parents and grandparents and care has filled sort of powerless as to what to do. They know what's going on, they don't know where to start the conversation. It's sort of a bit foreign to them, depending on their generation, because online porn wasn't a thing, and so people don't really know how to approach this with their kids. One lady writing to me here says, I was absolutely horrified. Our ten year old son recently, he's in year five, came to me feeling very confused about how all of his peers at lunchtime were talking about pornhub year five, ten years old. As parents, we've worked so hard, not allowing online gaming, not allowing YouTube or internet scrolling, and still he's been exposed to this. He said, he hasn't been shown any images. But really, from the extent of the detail that he gave me, this is coming from his mother that his peers explained to him he may as well as a mother. I'm completely heartbroken and gutted that our young son's been exposed to this. It's a disgrace. I feel like the only way we can truly protect our son and daughter is to now homeschool them. Otherwise we're just sending them out into the world that's destroying young people. Well, I'm not a massive advocate of homeschooling. I mean, the real world is the real world, and they're going to see that first and foremost at school. But this is the problem. Parents feel powerless what to protect our children. We'll have the appropriate sex conversation and all of that sort at the right time. But when others are stealing that right from parents because they're exposing fellow classmates and other kids as young as ten or eight some of these stories and it's more than one suggests to pornography, then that really changes the dynamic, and a lot of parents say, well what do we do, because you know, I mean, I've got Natalie who's not even four. There's no way I'd be sitting down with a story. It's far too young. But you know, once upon a time, I think it's ah, well, in the early years of high school, maybe that's when you have these conversations. And then with every generation that that conversation has started earlier. It does seem that a lot of particularly young girls seem to be hitting puberty earlier than their peers in generations gone by. That's sort of the anecdotal evidence. So there's a whole thing going on out there. What role exposure to pornography in all that place? I've got no idea, not a bioscientist, but it all just seems to be anecdotally lining up. But at what age do you have that conversation? In fact, look you're listening here, you might this might be exactly you. I mean, you tell others from your experience. At what age do you have that conversation with the kids. So it said, I think when I went through school, maybe we were twelve something like that, it sort of started. And that's appropriate. Well, it was then, but that was twenty one years ago. Whole generations come through since then, the internet is everywhere out We were sort of the cutting edge of computers and Internet, and it's a thing called Google and all of that. When I was in high school, it's all different. Now we didn't have smartphones, there were no apps, there no porn hub and only fans and all that rot. So now the kid's eyes are seeing things that we never saw. And so perhaps, just perhaps those conversations have to start earlier. But you have to redefine and refine those conversations. It's it's tough. It's really hard. One three, one eight seven three the open line number. Now, look, just another issue. This popped into the inbox the other day. And I've never had a pet dogs. I don't know too much about dogs, but those of you that do might There's Food Allergy Week I think coming up. In fact, it's this week, this week, Food Allergy Week, twenty fifth of the thirty first of May. And most people think, okay, it's about humans. It properly is. But according to this press release, new research reveals a concerning increase in food sensitivities and allergies among dogs, with a number of Australian pet owners buying allergy specific dog foods increasing by seventy five percent over the past twelve months now that might be coming from a low base. I've got no idea, but it's the issue more broadly of dogs with food allergies. Now be naive to think it's not possible, of course, but it's like, look, it's just nothing I've ever thought about. As dog owners out there. Do you have a pet that's got a food allergy? And we were told you don't feed them chocolate and you've got to be careful with this and certain types of food. That's pretty well established. But it's sort of the whole thing around allergies tends to be mentally linked to human beings. I think we're talking about children. That seems to be the focus. You know, make sure that the kids get exposure of peanut, peanuts and eggs and all these sort of things crustaceans over a certain period of time and you work out if they're allergic or not. Dogs who knows anyway, that seems to be an issue here. So we might have a chat to someone later in the week about it, but you might have some experiences of your own. One three, one eight seven three. Now, as I said, we don't know where the Coalition agreements landed on atomic energy and nuclear power. My suspicion. I think I'll be proved right later today when the agreement is detailed. I imagine to some extent in a leak is that the moratorium on nuclear power will be lifted as far as opposition official opposition policy. But nothing more, nothing more, nothing about government built, funded run nuclear power stations or any of that. Now, many people have interpreted the recent election result as a vote of no confidence in nuclear power in Australia. I think that's a misreading of the situation. But I again might be wrong, but interesting to note what's happening around the world. You get the impression here on nuclear power, forget it. It's all over, never going to happen. The tide's gone. We missed the boat. All the other analogies around the world where it is already established technology. It's a different, in fact opposite story. And as Gus mccubbing wrote in The finn Review the other day, the army of short sellers targeting uranium stocks was scrambling to cover its position Friday last week, following reports that the US President Donald Trump was about to sign executive orders that aim to jumpstart the nuclear energy industry as soon as Friday. Now I don't think he did it on Friday, but I suspect this is coming, and the orders are set to ease the regulatory process for the approval of new reactors, strengthen fuel supply chains. This is all coming from Reuters. The fin Review says Trump is also expected to invoke Cold War era legislation to declare a national emergency over America's dependence on Russia and China for enriched uranium. Okay, that makes sense. Of course, Australia has I think the world's largest known uranium deposit down there Olympic Dam at South Australia. So maybe, just maybe Australia's connectivity with nuclear power isn't done and dusted just yet. Maybe domestically we won't see much energy created, but internationally there could be greater demand than ever before for the resources we have, which makes our position to continue to ban it I think so nonsensical. But you can add that to the basketball the other nonsensical decisions that we hold as policy. I suppose it's twenty three minutes to one. Great to be with you, it is nineteen minutes to one one three, one eight seven three the open line number. Well, once the final frontier, that's what we used to call it. Space is now front of mind in I think almost every nation. And we first did have the space race, of course, likes of the USSR United States, racing to be the first to break out of this world and get man on the Moon and the rest of it. However, with the advent of technology, things like satellite navigation, for example, the need for a bigger focus on space has become more and more clear. And as the world becomes I think more dangerous Jura politically. From a military perspective, space is also a very crucial I don't want to use the term battlefield, but you know what I mean in that conversation. So much so that the former Prime Minister Scott Morrison has called for a let's call it Phase three of the Orcus Agreement. Of course he helped craft the original Orcus Agreement, and it's to take our partnership with the UK and the US beyond subs, missiles and military technology and into space. Now, mister Morrison spoke of the twenty twenty five Australian Space Summit in Darling Harbor yesterday. You might have heard a little of what he had to say he made the point that we need to play our part as a rising actor with the potential to plug important holes in allied capabilities. Now, I think the message from that summit seemed to be that if you don't have a presence in space, you may as well not have a defense force. It's something that we and the ADF and everybody, I guess have to think about now. Scott Morrison, as you know, former Prime Minister, but he is now the chairman of the Advisory Board for Space Center Australia and I'm very pleased to say that he's with me on the line. Scott, Mary some good afternoon.
Speaker 3: Gooday, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm well, thank you, I'm well, thank you. Before we get into that state of origin, tonight blues by how many?
Speaker 3: Oh by six six?
Speaker 2: Where are the Cronella players? What's going on?
Speaker 3: It wasn't it particularly good weekend, So I'll be licking their wounds and coming back strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a full team and still lost.
Speaker 3: Any Yeah it was. It wasn't the best weekend, but we'll bounce back. The boys will go well.
Speaker 2: It's cruel of me to raise that, but as West Tiger's found, I feel comfortable doing it now. Let's look at you've had your bad days days decades, let's look at space, because we don't want to have bad days from a defense point of view going forward. This is very serious. Now some people think this is all Star Wars and science fiction stuff, but really it could be the future battlefield in many respects, couldn't it.
Speaker 3: Well, it controls so much. I mean you just think about your daily life every time you jump in the car, every time you get on your phone, every time. You know what is up in space is actually directing so much of the technology and the things that we use every day. And it's no different in the defense area. I mean guided weapons systems, early warning systems, being able to detect, surveil, all of these things. How you guide and navigate all of this depends on what's in space, and you get things like hypersonic missiles now which move too fast for a warning when it comes to a traditional radar system. So you know, what happens in space pretty much can govern the effectiveness of everything you do on land, sea and air. And back in twenty twenty when I was Prime Minister, in the Defense Strategic Update, we called this out and said, well, you know, space will be a warfare domain and we need to prepare for that, and so we set up the National Space Command. We invested in our space capabilities and that continues, although we are a few changes after we left office, but that's it. It remains an important part of what our defense forces and our civil space industry does, and so it's a natural progression to work with the United States and the UK that also have very particularly the US sophisticated space capabilities that we use the partnership that we have in UCUS, I think to develop this area as well, which will be so critical to us all.
Speaker 2: I mean, one of the things with UCUS I think a lot of people misunderstand or forget, and no doubt it frustrates you and did as Prime Minister, is that it's more than just submarines. There is a lot to UCUS, hence Stage one and Stage two missile technology, quite a lot of trade as part of this arrangement as well. You're saying let's take it to the third level out of space.
Speaker 3: Well, that's true. And I think particularly that the focus in the US has in particularly President Trump, and when it was back in twenty nineteen when I was there with President Trump, we announced that we were supporting our business as in our space industry to get involved in the munder Mars mission, the Artemis mission, and we committed one hundred and fifty million at that time to support our industry and we've developed new technologies to support that. I was bumped into a whole bunch of companies yesterday down in Darling Harbor who benefited from those programs and has been developing satellites and other types of technology that can support that mission. So you know we're there. We can achieve it, and it's something that we do quite well because of our geography. I mean, particularly what we do in the surveillance area, I mean the advanced telescopes and radars that we have up in Western Australia. The real need is to develop a lot of these satcom capabilities for our defense and civil industries. And so there's a lot that we can do and will do, and it's better to do it in partnership with our allies and partners. And the best partnership we have is in aucust which is streets ahead of everything else and has survived changes of government in three countries and today it's as committed to by every jurisdiction as it was when you know I first put it together with Boris Johnson and Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: Some would say, I guess, just like the nuclear power, one could say to the doubters here at no time like the present. But is there a risk here that we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves as well, Scott, because I mean we can at the moment put about one columns class summarine in the water at any given time. You know, the army doesn't have the numbers that it wants. Recruitments a big challenge. We're way behind the eight ball when it comes to drone technology. And I mean some would say, look, why don't we just get the terrestrial thing right first and then we'll do without a space what's the retort to that.
Speaker 3: Well, there's two One is we should be getting to three percent of judy top and defense spending, and so you know it shouldn't be an either or when it comes to doing these things. And I mean that is where I mean, I've just got back from Europe a few weeks ago and in London and they're all moving in that direction. Japan's moving in that direction. And because of the world we now live in getting up at least to that three percent level is just where going to have to be to be a functional defense for us. And you know we lifted spending considerably when we're in government, and that job needs to continue. I mean, the submarine program gets you a fair way there, but then you've got to make sure you're not taking it from other parts of your defense, both spending, and that's that's the issue. And I wish Minister Males well and the arguments he has to make in cabinet for that, and I'd support him strongly in getting us moving in that direction because it will be expected from our allies. The second point I'd make though, is, as I said, that what you have in space determines what you can do on land and in sea. And we have important responsibilities in our alliances monitoring the Indo Pacific Marit time domain and you know, the whole Southwest Pacific, and this is what enables us to do it. It's sort of it's core business for us having these capabilities, and we have to be able to do both. Yeah, we need the drones and yes we need the guide of weapons and initiative to continue, which we commence when we're in government, you've got to do all of this. It's increasingly because of the world we live in. You don't get to walk back from many of these things. You pick the things you're best at, and space is one where I think we are very very good at that kicking because of our geography and how we adapt.
Speaker 2: And our history there. I think the other point here, of course, is that space is increasingly going to be that the front line between the US China strategic rivalry. So if we've hedged our wagon to the United States, we've got a role to play, I guess theoretically, and I use analogy with the Ukraine earlier in the minerals deal from a purely selfish Australian point of view, the further integrated the Americans and to an extent, the British military but broader economy is with ours, the more skin they have in the game here but American business, as American personnel, American technology, American interests, the more likely they are to come to our assistance should the worst happen. Geostrategically, I mean, there's a logic, isn't there to have them as heavily and measured as possible.
Speaker 3: Well that's true, but my experience of that alliance and relationship is it's in my mind that's never been in doubt. But what you're saying is also true that that just only doubles down. And the more integrated we are, the more able we are to work together and most importantly, put the de terrence in place. I mean a lot gets focused on, you know, when when the bullets start firing, but the whole point of doing all of this is to ensure that they never get fired. You have this credible de terrence, and aucas was about that. It was about creating that significant de terrence. So Jijingping wakes up every day and says, no, not today, and that has to keep happening forever basically, and that doesn't happen. You've got to deal with the immediate threats now, but you've got to be able to be dealing with the longer term capabilities as well, which is you know, that's where the nuclear powered submarines comes in. But the earlier face stuff in Pillar two of Walkers is very much about meeting those more immediate needs. And then what I'm talking about with Pillar three in space is it actually helps all of those areas and it's an area where I know President Trump has been very committed, whether it's in the civil space industry. But now he's talking about Golden Dome, which is a great initiative and potentially we may have been able to play a role there.
Speaker 2: Okay, just finally in the one minute left, Jiji Ping hopefully says no, not today every day, but David Little Proud and Susan Lee said yes today thankfully, and the coalition band is back together.
Speaker 3: Any thoughts, Yeah, pleased, looks the rocky road there for the last couple of weeks, but I think Susan kept her eye very much on the board about what was needed and it's important to have a coalition in place, but it's also have a coalition that is one that enables both parties to get the job done and not be making compromises which makes the partnership uneasy. So good on Susan, you know, holding a ground there. And I'm very pleased to Nationals have come on board and now they've got to focus on the real task ahead, and that is to stand up for good policy that you know all about aspiration and people been able to get ahead and have the opportunity to do that, so you've got an economy that can support the services that the strainers rely on.
Speaker 2: Do you think we'll have US Ambassador Morrison to Washington?
Speaker 3: No, not a job I have any interest in doing. I'm enjoying what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Well that's kind of you to say, but you know there's others who are very keen on doing those jobs, and I wish them very well. I mean when I travel these days, and I do a lot, I have a lot of interaction with our ambassades, particularly with Kevin and Stephen in the UK and the US are US and ucas say, and you know where I can as a form prime minister, I seek to help what the country's trying to do and I think that's an important role. I mean, I'm the head off to Ukraine and do something similar there and really just want to is demonstrating that Australia remains very committed to what we're seeking to do there. I was a Prime minister when that that walk started, that illegal war and invasion from Russia, and it's important to.
Speaker 5: Be there and it is it is.
Speaker 2: I thought i'd try. I thought i'd try. Scott Morrison, I very much thank you for your time. Good on you talk all the best former Prime Minister Scott Morrison. A lot of very positive feedback about Scott Morrison coming through as well, and many people making the point not one are more are really you just got straight to it and said it how it is and you didn't hold back on the issue there with jijingping or anything. So some saying that's a bit of a refreshing change to what we've got used to.
Speaker 1: News is next now onto GB and network stations. Back to afternoons with Michael McLaren.
Speaker 2: All right into the second hour. Thank you for your company. Beautiful day out there. I hope you're getting to enjoy it. One three one eight seven three is the open line number. Thank you for the text messages as well. Zero for six zero eight seven three seven three. Got it right this time, Greg says intergalactic space wars for me, the potholes and a train that runs on time. There's someone else's problem. I get the sarcasm, Greg, but the issue is Scott Morrison, I think rightly said if indeed we are not invested in this space, and that's where and I use that term advisedly, and this is then you know, war breaks out or something goes wrong, then the potholes and the trains will be the least of your worries. Let's put it that way. So it's about walking and chewing gum at the same time, it's about being across every aspect of national defense, which is necessary. But at the same time politics is always local, as they say, and having a focus on the issues that matter on the ground for the times of peace where issues of sovereignty don't count, and I think we can do both. A lot of text messages Roger making a sort of historical point, and I think he's right where he says the reason why China assertive and at times aggressive in our current day and age is because of the centuries of humili or the century singular of humiliation, and they refer to that in China. The way that the Europeans and especially the British treated China in the eighteen hundreds has made them the way they are today. That informs it, there's no doubt about it. You can add on top of that a very thick layer of communism, but that is certainly part of the story. They've been mistreated by others in the past, subjugated and treated as second class citizens the Opium Wars, and they said we're not having that again. And so Roger's quite right. History always informs the present, and in this case, nothing true has been said. David on what I was saying earlier about your Center prices, You're right, she's respected and she really talks. Since the Liberal Party should open their eyes, would love to see her as a regular guest on your program. I don't know if that'll happen, David, but I think she needs to be given a semi prominent role. If her potential is to be realized what I think is her potential, then this is a golden opportunity to elevate her within the shadow cabinet and to move her, if not completely away, somewhat away from just being boxed in as the go to on indigenous affairs. Of course, you can always refer to a knowledge there, but try her somewhere else and somewhere reasonably prominent. But let's see if she's got what it takes. Now, if she stumbles and falls in say shadow educational shadow, health of it and saying, okay, look, maybe she's a bit of a one hit wonder. But if she succeeds that's another stepping stone on what I think could be could be a pathway all the way to the top one day. Now, that's going to require patience and tenacity. But if she's not given half a chance here or sometime soon, it's never going to happen. One three, one eight seven three Andrew, good afternoon.
Speaker 6: Oh hello Mike here on just sent her. I hope she's high Minister one day, Mike. Something we should have done decades ago, and it would alleviate a problem that we've got now, and it's something that will have to be done in the future, but it needs to start now, is that we need to provide covered bases for America's nuclear submarines. Now we would have their presence in our waters. They're already here, but we would have them in our waters. And it is linked to space as well. It's very important and we should be working on that now. I mean, we should be training sub mariners now they are, but you know, we can't get enough and they can't the defense departments in that keeping people anyway, and we should be working very hard at this, and we should be training people to operate those bases so and they must be covered. You can't park up subs in the open. You don't want a potential enemy to know when your boats are in the water or not.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why you need to have a deep water port. But this is before we even look at that point. We've got a first andrew work out where we're going to have the basis. Now, this is a discussion that has been happening, but many are saying, well, you go down toward Port Kembley, you've got access there to a deep water port. You could do it. In other words, you can get the subs out of the port into the deep water quickly and out into the ocean preferably. Or the theory is without detection from enemies. Okay, so that's the theory. But then you've got you know, the unions for example, some of them, I think the E tou if I'm not mistaken. So we don't want nuclear submarines here. It's dangerous floating chernobyls, this sort of stuff. So where there are some options, there are already local criticisms emerging out of a fear that there will be a target. Well, I guess they would be a target, but I think some of the fear is irrational. About what would happen outside of a time of war, and so we are limiting our potential already. And then of course there's the issue what do you do with the waste? Well, we had this ridiculous situation going on out at Kimber in South Australia. It's too f it's nothing at Kimber. But the one local indigenous group said oh we don't want it here, and they got all the way I think, to the Federal or the High Court and one and so Australia has no decision on where nuclear waste would be stored from our current usage out of Lucas Heights and whatever, let alone whatever happens with ucust submarines. When all of these hurdles have to be overcome. But dare I say some of the nimbiism which seems to be prevailing in legal challenges and the like, needs to be nipped in the bud. But you know, how do you do it? I don't know. I think, you know, to be blunt of a fair bit of money has to be dangled to say to people, look, this is what you're going to get in return. You know, if you put the stuff here, you get this in return. Oh okay, look, but until we get there, you know, we're going to go down the process of building some but we won't know what to do with the waste, so to speak. We won't know where to put them in us putting the cart before the horse. Thank you for the call, Andrew. It's thirteen past one. When we come back, Melissa Abu Ghazzale, founder of Top Blokes, we'll look at this issue of the really really young kids, eight year olds and the like being exposed to pornography. Well, look, I've got to be honest, I was taken a back yesterday really by this story that I saw as in the City Morning Herald, a warning from principles across the state the children as young as six, Can you believe it, have been exposed to pornography. Now, I just find that shocking, and for a whole lot of reasons. But the claims came just last week as part of a new South Wales parliamentary inquiry into the impacts of harmful pornography on mental, emotional and physical health. Now, some principles telling the inquiry that they'd seen an increase in young people impacted by viewing pornography as well as the sexual objectification of girls by their male peers in school. Now, other principles said that they'd of children in year one and year two. Can you believe it showing signs of porn exposure. Now we'll try to understand what that is in a second, But it seems that this issue has been flying a bit under the radar. But as a father of a very young daughter who no doubt has all of this in the schooling journey ahead of her, I think that we need to get to the bottom of this. Equally, I'm thankful that there are people out there working to help prevent the harm that can be caused by all of this and porn addiction and the rest of it. One of them is Melissa Abu Gazale. Now, she's the founder of a group called Top Blokes to Charity, and they work to empower and mental young boys, and they've got to focus on things like drugs, alcohol and risk taking. But this comes into it as well, and I'm pleased to say she joins me on the line, Melissa, thank you for your time, thank you for having me, As I said, as a dad of a three and a half year old, Now I'm sort of thinking five six years down the track, she'll be in year one or year two, and that she might indeed be coming across others in her cohort that have been exposed to pornography at that age and then show that somehow or express that somehow in their interactions in the playground or the classroom. Maybe I'm naive, but I just find that shocking.
Speaker 7: Yeah, look, it absolutely is concerning, but unfortunately it is the reality of what we're hearing, both from schools and from parents as well. I mean, you know, international and both Australian research documents that young people as young as nine years old are being exposed to pornography, but like you mentioned, we're hearing it's even younger than that. And when we start to look at well, how is it that they're getting exposed? Yeah, there are two main ways that young people are getting accidentally exposed. And the first one to what you mentioned, is appear often showing them and it can be a friend in the playground that has access to a device. It can often be an older sibling or an older cousin as well. But the other way that they're being exposed is through online advertising. And you know what we might think might be an innocent game that a young person is playing, they can receive pop up ads and that can often be a gateway to a very deeply concerning rabbit hole that they find themselves in if.
Speaker 3: They click on it.
Speaker 2: I understand. I mean, I think, you know, in the old days, as were a lot of people might have been accidentally exposed to pornography because under some father's bed or something there was a Playboy magazine, and you know, they've got founded. These days, it does seem to be far more ubiquitous than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And look, when we actually think about it, this is probably the first generation of parents that are parenting young people where the parents themselves have grown up on online pornography and like, like to what you mentioned, it is different to how it would have been generations ago because the content is much more extreme, much more readily available, and yeah, more concerning than how it used to be.
Speaker 2: I know you said earlier that these young people, if we're talking about extremes here, we're talking about nine year olds, ten year olds or even younger accidentally being exposed to pornographys. So they're not going out there seeking it, but someone's shown it to them, and so they've been exposed by accident. Is there much evidence to suggest that once or twice accidentally exposed, they then go deliberately seeking more that they're shown it, and then they get a taste for as it were, and they want more. They then go and take the initiative themselves, even at a young age.
Speaker 7: Oh look, I'm sure it's probably different for every young person, and in some cases that might be the case. And I think, you know, it's really important for us to recognize that young people are going to be curious about sex and relationships at some point, and I guess as adults and those that want to protect young people, we just want to make sure that, you know, we're delaying their exposure as long as possible so that they do have that emotional or some level of emotional maturity to be able to try and understand, you know, what they are being exposed to and what they're seeing. And this is often something that young men are telling us in our programs, is that when they do come across the pornography that they see at a much younger age, they're often they have a lot of questions, and they're often very confused, and some feel very uncomfortable with what they're seeing, but they're not having a conversation with any adult about it. And that's the keys that we need to be talking to young males and young females about it at an earlier age.
Speaker 2: Okay, at what age? Because you know, the whole sex ed thing at school that was all sort of a bit of a bit of a giggly exercise for some, I suppose, But you know, that's just the nature of young people and having adults discuss those matters with them, that's completely normal. But I was reading some suggestions today that we need to be educating young people, and I suppose by extension, their parents, about issues to do with pornography as young as the age of ten. Some would say, gee, that's a bit early, but what's your take on that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Look, and I think first and foremost, we sort of as a community should put the expectation and obligation on schools to be the ones to do the education. It definitely needs to be the role of parents and families, and we need to start normalizing these conversations now. It doesn't need to be specifically about pornography from as young as six, seven, eight years old, but it can be about how to be safe online and what to do if you see uncomfortable content that makes you uncomfortable and how I guess what's most important that they are telling an adult so that the adult can understand how they came across it, and then hopefully how to protect them so that they're not not accessing yet. So I think it's definitely the role of you know, parents and trusted adults in a young person's life. And you're right, what we need and what we'd love to see is parents feeling more confident to have these conversations, and step one would be to learn more about the harmful impacts on young people now.
Speaker 2: I mean in a lot of different areas, Melissa, we hear about the slippery slope argument, and in previous generations there was concerns raised that even things like those music video TV shows, is you Get on Saturday Morning Your Rage? And video hits and these sort of thing, increasingly the videos were becoming soft pornography, and there was an argument that well, like once the young people who were listening to the music because that's pop culture, are exposed to that, they're then going to go, like with anything else, seeking something a little more extreme and then a little more extreme and they've been exposed and down the rabbit hole they go. Is there some with hindsight, some merit to the arguments that some might say sort of Mary white House arguments all those years ago. But nonetheless some merit to that argument that even through free to wear television and children's viewing ours, we were exposing too many young people to the antecedents of pornography.
Speaker 7: Yeah, look, there's no doubt about it. The normalization of pornographic and sexualized imagery in our pop culture is there. And you know, young people don't doesn't really watch TV as much as what they did in previous generation. So we turn our attention to social media platforms like a TikTok, where their access to sexualized imagery is there and it's constant. And also young people and young men have told us now program is that platforms like only Fans, where it's user generated sexualized content. Young men tell us that that is where they often feel like maybe it's not so bad or does normalize it even more? So, we are definitely in a space where it is very hard to think that a young person is not going to be exposed, and yeah, exposed at some point in their lives.
Speaker 2: Just from a historical point of view, I mean, you go back to ancient Rome, you're still in these days. You can wander around Pompei, for example, it's pretty obviously we're all the brothels were and everything. There were fallows symbols above the doors, there was paintings on the walls. Pornography as it were, has been in sexualized imagery, a key component, a core component of pop culture really for thousands and thousands of years. I guess there'd be some out there playing Devil's advocate who would say, are we just not accepting that this has really always been there. It's just that social media has made it easier for beople to access twenty four to seven on the telephone in their bedroom.
Speaker 7: Yeah, look absolutely, you know, And I wonder if it kind of comes down to this innate curiosity that humans have around around sex and around relationships and so. But I guess what is different compared to previous generations is there is more research now that is clearly highlighting the impacts on young people and children. And we have a you know, a generation of parents and teachers who are just screaming out for help on how to address this, and you know, like in some ways, the young men tell us that top Works is one of the only times that they've ever had an open conversation around pornography, and we would love to see it be a normal conversation that's had in all settings where young men are reaching out for help.
Speaker 2: Okay, just on that, parents, until you're just screaming out for the help. I know many of them are, but they don't know where to turn. Where should they do?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So look, there are some great online resources, so Toplex has great online resources as well as a safety there's quite a few good websites. So first and foremost, we want parents to understand what are the mental, physical, and emotional impacts of pornography. Let's really understand what the impacts are for young people first and then secondly, we want to encourage parents to have conversations with their sons, but not to go in. And the first question is tell me what you're seeing, because that is going to absolutely shut down the young men. You've got to approach the conversation with curiosity. You ask young males, you know, what are their observations, what are their insights, what are they hearing? And then you know, that starts to build trust and rapport because young men tell us if they're going to have a conversation with an adult, there's two main things that needs to be present in that conversation. Firstly is a level of respect that you know, that they value what the young man is sharing himself and in his own experiences. But also young men want to learn from their parents and they want to learn from their own stories, and so that is a big key I think that parents can can lean on is how did they navigate it when they're a young person coming across online pornography, And I think that's the start of how to have a conversation with a young man. And then from there, you know, start normalizing the topic of you know, what do you do when you come across harmful content because it's not going anywhere and see, it's going to be around for quite a while.
Speaker 2: You said the conversations with their sons, but but surely it's also important the parents also extend these conversations to their daughters as well, because pornography would be being accessed by lots of young girls as well. They may be looking at it through a different prism, don't know, but there'd be an expectation on a lot of them looking at all of these images and what I'm saying, well, this is what I've got to be when I'm sixteen or whatever. So maybe it's a different conversation, but equally those conversations have to be had, don't they.
Speaker 7: Absolutely? Yeah, absolutely, any young person is actually going to be coming across the content at some point in their lives, and yeah, it would be any young person that you have access to. Don't need to have that conversation.
Speaker 2: Speaking with Melissa Abu ghazalees I said that Melissa is from the top blokes. Just finally, Melissa, you were quoted in the Herald of saying young men have a gut feeling that what they are viewing isn't healthy, but they don't know how to escape it. So there is some hope there isn't there that this is everywhere. A lot of them are looking at it and whatever sharing it, but they seem to have a sense that it's not good what they're exposed to. It's not doing them any favors. So there is some hope that with the right messaging we can turn it around. Eh.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. You know one thing that we know is that we have a very interested and captive audience in young males. They are wanting opportunities to talk about it, to talk about how they're struggling with it, and to have a voice on how to overcome the challenges and the impacts of it as well. And so we need to lean into that, meet young men where they're at and bring them on the journey because they really really want to be part of it.
Speaker 2: Important conversation. Thank you for your time and thank you for your insight. Thanks so much, all the best, Melissa Ebber Gazzale's has Haid, the founder of Top Blokes. There are charity and they work to empower and mental young boys and a very very important thing they're doing in this space. Indeed, all right, right on our past one, let's go to the newsroom eron Margaret afternoon.
Speaker 8: Good afternoon, Michael. Monthly inflation has risen slightly more than expected, hitting two point four percent in the twelve months to April, which could delay further interest rate cuts. Police are searching for a man who went missing after a Corden house burnt down in the early hours of the morning. An eighty year old man was killed in the blaze. The coalition is official leap back together with a formal agreement reach between the leaders of the Liberals and Nationals and Shadow Cabinet will be announced this afternoon. And US reality TV stars Todd and Julie Christie have been officially pardoned by President Donald Trump after they were convicted of a conspiracy to defraud banks out of more than thirty million dollars. In sport, Victoria Azarenka has created history at the French Tennis Open, the thirty five year old Belarussian becoming the oldest player to score a double bagel win in a Grand Slam, thrashing her Belgian opponent six love, six love in just forty eight minutes. And there'll be more news at two o'clock on afternoons.
Speaker 2: Oh, weather updates.
Speaker 5: We'll be here to help in unexpected weather. Nurmainsurance a help company.
Speaker 2: Sunny in twenty today for Sydney it is gorgeous outside, pretty much the same everywhere. Terry Hill's a bit cooler at eighteen nineteen for Paramatt and Campbelltown, but no cloud, no rain. It seems cloudy tomorrow though, and nineteen in the city up to twenty on Friday. Mostly sunny. Then again they say maybe Monday and Tuesday bit of rain. But let's see what happens. Canberra today gooday through two double c mostly sunny and sixteen in the capitol Tagrenong is the same morning frost. Tomorrow it'll get to the top of sixteen again partly cloudy up to seventeen on Friday morning frost, with a mostly sunny day after that. Lithgo just twelve today partly cloudy. Not too many blokes rock and shorts in Lithgo. I'd imagine today Orange just nine, Mudgie fifteen thirteen for Baptist Katoomber twelve, Springwood nineteen today partly cloudy. Tomorrow for Lithgo top of thirteen mostly sunny and fifteen tomorrow one three, one, eight seven three will take a break. When we come back, Blake will bring his wealthy Pretzels into the studio and we'll talk personal finance.
Speaker 1: Now on afternoons, All Things Finance with Blake Wack from Pretzel Wealth. Organize your free consultation at Pretzelwealth dot com dot au.
Speaker 2: Okay, bit of abba means it's time to dive into finance with the one and he, mister Blake went when Prince Al Wealthy's here in the studio with us. Hello, Blake, Michael, all right, we're getting our money's working down. If you won't like now, if you've got a question four Blake one three one eight seven three, anything about your home loan or super or investments or you know, other general financial advices you might need, take advantage of the free advice one three one eight seven three. There's always that complimentary consultation we tell people about as well asn't there.
Speaker 9: Blake, Yeah, certainly. So it's a forty five minute consultation. You come into the office, spring your your statements, you know, whatever questions that you might have, any sort of dark secrets that you want to reveal, all that sort of good stuff, and we'll sit down, we'll unpack it, we'll go through it, and you know, hopefully we walk away a bit more informed.
Speaker 2: Indeed, we had the inflation data today CPI or whatever they call it, two point four percent. The headline figure that was up just a tick, I think anything to read into that.
Speaker 9: Nothing to write home about really trimmed mean CPI data up a little bit as well, two point eight percent. So it's that's the one that the RBA will look at and say, well, is it getting out of control? That is not a figure which the RBA will be concerned about. That'd say, okay, it's still within our band of two to three percent, so they'd be quite comfortable in that range. So it's not going to result in drastic rate cuts, but it's sort of where they want to be.
Speaker 2: One of the questions is what do they include in the basket of items as it were that they used to formulate these figures, Because I've just got a note from someone who says, well, look, CPI's two point four percent, but my insurance went up thirty seven percent, but Telstra Internet when I'm twenty percent makes no sense.
Speaker 9: Electricity going up nine percent in July, so it's.
Speaker 2: Higher if it went for the government rebates, right, So how do they land at this figure?
Speaker 9: Well, exactly, so they look at what the average person spans and effectively try to create this basket. Now, they strip out in some cases, they strip out volatile items. So if there's a flood somewhere and that affects banana crops, well we'll take out bananas this reading because they're obviously going to be impact. So there's there's a basket of goods, the data comes out or comes across to the ABS, they work out, well, what does this actually cost and what's the cost increase that's occurring, and that's our prints. So the CPI is sort of a best guess at what prices are doing. But you're quite right. There are some items like insurances as an example, which are going up far quicker than CPI, but because they don't make up a large component of the CPI, you don't see those big increases to the overall number.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they're looking largely petrol prices, energy prices, food and grocery prices, those sort of every day weekly staples as it were. Almost okay, that helps explain it. Well, Jude, the other things you still got to have the money for, don't.
Speaker 9: You, Well, exactly right, Yeah, they're not going anywhere. You know, you're not going to stop insuring your home. Well, some are, well, well exactly, and some of the flat affected areas that the insurance policies are going through the roof if they offer them, if they offer them at all, exactly, and some people or choosing not to take it up, and so you know, then you're running the risk. Okay, if there's another flood, we're not insured. What's the impact on our financial positions? It's sad to see that that's occurring, but that's all part of how the insurers sort of reduce their risk or avoid the risk altogether, because they're in it to make money. They're not there for the love of it, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Okay, this from Bert question on the text line before we get to the calls. He says, I'm seventy seven. Every year I have to withdraw a percentage of my fund this year at six percent. So my question is what effect is this horrible tax? I guess this is the super text we've been talking about unrealized capital games, etc. Going to have on my fund.
Speaker 9: Well, suppose if Bert's super funds over three million dollars, then he'll get caught up in this division two nine six tax. If it's less then then no impact at all. But say your superbalance was above three million dollars and it was growing with investment returns and the like. What happens is as part of the calculation when they work out, well, what's the change in balance to work out the tax, they will add back with drawals from the super fund or the pension account. But then they'll subtract contributions. So if there are with drawers, a six percent withdrawal from super that gets added back on and it's effectively you know you've earned that money. And the logic behind that is, well, okay, well we started with a smaller amount, we ended up with a lower amount, but we have to add back with drawals to sort of see, well, what did you actually earn for that period. So it's a good question. But Bert, if your balance is below three million dollars, then you're going to be okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, Bert, there you go. Pasquali's called through with a question. Pasquale far away.
Speaker 10: Yes, right, how are you good? I just I just wanted I just wanted to say, is I'm single, own my own home and just free. Quick questions is how much is the maximum I can have in savings? And what is the maximum I can have in my super? And is there a capital games tax? I heard on your family on your your family home?
Speaker 9: I heard, okay, so maximum savings. I would imagine that you're referring to the age pension with that respect, because there's no cap on. I suppose how much you can have in the bank, you can have whatever you want. Superannuation there are caps as well, so you know, roughly speaking, there is a two million dollar threshold. Once you get to two million dollars, you can't really add much more into super apart from concessional contributions. But just to come back to that first point about savings and superannuation, if it's in respect to the age pension and you're a single homeowner, then to get the full age pension you need to have assets less than about three hundred and fourteen thousand dollars. If you want to get some age pension or that cuts off at six hundred and ninety seven thousand dollars. So that's for the age mention. Now the third question around is there going to be a capital gains tax on your family home. There's no such thing at this stage. At this stage, I'll use that at this stage who knows. So what can occur though, and what could trigger a capital gains is if you've ever had the family home as an investment property for some period of time. So speak to your accountant about the family home. Have you always lived in it, has it been rented out for a period of time? Perhaps there is some capital gains there, but only if it's been an investment property and not your main residence.
Speaker 2: All right, pasqually, good question, Thank you, single and owns his own home. If it's down of Double Bay, you won't be single for too long. Ago ticks a few blocks. It's sixteen minutes to two. I shouldn't say one, three, one eight seven three. Interesting note here from Graham. He says, could you ask Blake, will the rise in bond rates in the US?
Speaker 9: Heaven fifthre ken Ken on our superinnuation fund. So so supernuation funds invest in bonds or fixed interest assets. So how it impacts us is that if we're an invest investor and we've bought government bonds from the US or treasuries and their interest rates are rising, the capital value of those bonds declines, so you may see that there is a capital decrease to that asset. So it can have an impact here. Interest rates moving up over in the US does add or it can reduce the Australian dollar. Although if there's weakness in the United States, then money will flow out of the United States into other currencies and therefore those currencies will appreciate. So yeah, it does have some impact. We're not sort of seeing it as being a doom and gloom scenario there. It's just something to be mindful of. You're not going to have huge exposure to US bonds in your portfolio. It's usually quite diversified that side of the equation. But interest rates rising in the US will have some impact on your portfolio.
Speaker 2: Expected to rise, well.
Speaker 9: What's happening at the moment with their their downgrade, the recent downgrade that's happened over there, it means that investors are expecting more from the US or higher interest to take a chance or to invest in and buy those bonds cover the risk, to cover the risk exactly, so they're seen as higher risk.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 9: You know, there's naturally some revenue coming through from the tariffs in the US and that may help with the deficits that they're seeing. They're still expected to be in deficit by about two trillion dollars, so that's you know, the fact that last month they got I think sixteen billion dollars US. You know, that's just a drop in the ocean as to what they're spending. But it's it's sort of they're trying to get in get their act together the best way that they can. And so if they can prove to the markets that you know, their budget is coming back in line and everything's looking a okay, then maybe they get that triple A rating again. But it's up to the to what they do.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't coundle that anytime soon? Yes, Now back to this division two nine to six TEX. A lot of people, even if they're not directly going to be impacted or worried about this now. Brendan's just sent me a note that many are asking, and that is okay, Well, if your investment loses money, will the government pay you? Oh?
Speaker 9: Certainly not no, So what's happening there is so say one year your part you the tax, you're payable, and then the next year you lose money. Now what will happen is the hir Reill record a higher benchmark or a watermark for what your balance has reached in one financial year, and you won't pay that tax or that tax calculation won't take effect until your balance exceeds that previous watermark or that threshold. So they're not going to pay you back. They're just saying, look, if you've lost money and your balance is down, if you get back up to these levels or the pre this levels, then we'll start introducing the tax again. So you might have a period of time where the balance has come down, you've lost some money perhaps, and so through that period where you might be making money on Suva, you haven't hit that watermark just yet, then you're not going to pay the tax.
Speaker 2: Ok. Just quickly on the capital gains tax and the family home, Jeff says, there is capital gains tax if your home is greater than five acres.
Speaker 9: Oh, certainly yes in that situation, wh circumstances, spot on.
Speaker 2: Okay, well done, Jeff, thank you. Okay, it's thirteen to two. We'll take a break. If you've got a question for Blake one three one eight seven three. Keep the text coming. A lot of people communicating that way today zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three the ever popular Blake Owent from Pretzel Wealth seven three. Now, I just want to make the point before we go to course and tex You've always been very popular, but ever since this proposal to bring in the division two nine six tax, you've been extremely popular. And I imagine this is true across the financial advice community that people are now alert to this.
Speaker 9: Yeah, speaking with colleagues, you know, we're all getting asked the same question. You know, what does this mean for me? And you know what should we do to get ahead of it? And so the natural reaction from people is to jump and sell properties or sell assets and try to get money out of super that's their natural reaction at the moment, which rightly so. But you can do this after it's come into effects. So if your plan is to reduce your balance below three million dollars, you have until the end of the financial year in which it comes into place. I say it comes into a play from one July this year and on the by thirtieth or June twenty twenty six, if you've gotten your balance down below three million dollars, you're okay. So there's plenty of time for people to work out what does that actually mean for them. We don't have to jump and react and have a bit of a flurry to try to exit. It's okay, get some advice first. But their colleagues are saying that they're being inundated with questions around what do we actually do here? Because we don't really want to pay the tax and you know, you can understand why, and so they're trying to come up with strategies to make sure the money is still working.
Speaker 2: I can't understand why they spend it so wisely charitable of us, it's very charitable.
Speaker 9: So it's just one of these things that people don't like the idea of. And so how do we navigate around this? But we've got a bear in mind that you know, we're taking it out of a very tax effective environment. Perhaps investing that money personally isn't the greatest move. So we've just got to weigh up what the consequences look like. And everyone's portfolio is different, and so there's different types of portfolios that have been constructed, and so maybe it's better to just cop the tax because you're actually going to pay less.
Speaker 2: In the long run. It's the principle that's upset people more than the practice. I think, Okay, let's go to more calls. How Steven's got one for you? Hi, Steven, mate, Good, you got Blake? What's the question.
Speaker 11: I'm currently with one of the big industry super funds. I've been talking to a financial planner. I'm in my early fifties, and they're recommending some of the retail funds or platforms like PUB twenty four and other things like that, which just after a bit of feedback on the difference, the difference of the.
Speaker 9: Two, yeah, I suppose in a nutshell, and it really comes down to what you're after. So you know, if the industry fund's ticking all the boxes for you, then there's nothing wrong with the industry fund. Some of the other platforms like a HUB twenty four or you know there's a BT Panorama or others. You know, what they do is they offer flexibility. And so when I say flexibility, i'm talking about you know, you've got the a world of investment options to choose from. You can go into direct equities or exchange traded funds, you can buy term deposits through them, although some industry funds do offer term deposits as an option, So that would be the reason for changing or going into a platform like that if you are wanting to actually see what you're invested in. Industry funds don't really provide this too. Well, they say you're in Australian shares and you say, well, what shares am I in? Well, Australian chairs, good luck, And so the platforms offer you the ability to say, well, actually I want some BHP or I want some Commonwealth Bank. I want to actually know what's going on there. The platforms can be a little bit more expensive because you're getting you're getting access to many different investments. So just find out what the costs are, make sure you're comfortable with the decision that you're making, and really it comes down to what do you actually need and what do you feel is the right move moving forward.
Speaker 2: Okay, Stephen, good question. Mike's got an interesting one, Hime. Mike.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, I'm just wondering in relation to the super I know the rules of the family home, what would we be up against in what we're both still alive converting our house into the boys' names?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 9: Have you always lived in the home, Mike?
Speaker 2: Have you?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 9: Had always been the home? Okay, So if you converted into the boys name, capital gains tax is unlikely to be there. What you will be up for is stamp duty. Now, stamp duty gets calculated based on market rates. So you can't give to the boys for a dollar and expect to not pay any stamp duty. It just won won't happen. So you've just got to work out, well, what's the value of the property. Maybe speak to a real estate agent or get it valued, and then you can go online and look up how much stamp duty would be applicable for that transaction. You could speak to a conveyance, so I suppose who would help you do the title transfer, but just be aware that there would be some stamp duty on that. You're also giving away the family home, so if you're going to live somewhere else, that's fine. If you're planning on renting, there could be some center Link implications for doing so. Equally, you're gifting moneys away, so maybe if there could be some grainny flat right arrangements where you can get around that with Centerlink. I'd encourage you, Mike, just to get some advice first before you transfer it. Understand the costs, Understand the complications on say age pension, and make sure you're making that informed decision, because there's a few different aspects here that you might might want to look at.
Speaker 2: A couple of knock ons. Good question though, Thank you, Mike, Thank you Blake. A lot of questions still coming through York here same time. Next week. We'll delve into them. Then I'll see you there all the best Blake went there from Pretzel. Don't forget that complimentary consultation book with Blake today Pretzelwealth dot com dot AU. Now Truck's not with us today, but we'll have his tips. He sent them in to us. I'll announce those for you after two o'clock. He's apparently interstate at a footy tipping conference or something, as a workshop or something. I don't know anyway, but i'll give you the details straight after the news.
Speaker 1: Now onto GB and network stations. Back to Afternoons with Michael McClaren.
Speaker 2: Right over into the third hour. Thank you for joining us. If you just come along. If you missed the first few hours, our interview with Scott Morrison, the former Prime Minister, will be put up as a podcast. You'll be able to get that off two GB dot com. A number of people have said that interview you did with David murray last week's very important. Can that as a podcast? I believe it is already available as a standalone podcast. Again, just go to my page on the two beat a com website and stroll through a couple of tabs or whatever. You'll find it there and share it around. I think it was an important chat. David Murray very very clear in his thoughts on the situation with the three million dollars super tax and the principle really of unrealized capital gains having been breached. Now we'll get to chuck STIPs in just a second for what they're worth. Later this hour I'll be joined by Charles Croucher from nine down and Cambrick down to Parliament House. The Coalition have got back together as was expected, probably a little quicker than I expect, but anyway, they're back together, which is sensible and good for Australian democracy. You need a functioning and reasonably robust opposition as limited as they are in number at the moment. But we are having in about ten five or ten minutes now the Opposition leader, I think Susan Lee will step up to the podium and announce the shadow cabinet, who's in, who's out, all that sort of stuff. Will break that down for you with Charles crouchertter in the hour now, Speaking of political matters, a rather grammatically challenging headline before me here says what agrees to Woodside's Northwest shelf time extension and the purest would say, shouldn't that be who? But no, we're talking here about Murray What. Of course, freshly minted environment Minister Murray What is approved a four decade extension of Woodside's Northwest Shelf project. This is obviously off the coast of w A, following lengthy delays in signing off on the controversial what are you giggling at? Whatever? Who or whom? Who cares? Uh, that's the point that counts, So the Northwest Shelf project another four years. The approval of the project will attract strong condemnation from the environmentalists, of course, but I think in the real world we understand this has to happen. So that's gone through as a statement from the Senator. I might share some of that with you a little bit later on.
Speaker 1: Now one afternoons, it's your weekly dose of NRL tipping winch.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: As I said, Chuck can't be with us today. I believe he's into State ad a tips to self improvement conference. But nonetheless, here are his tips. I know a lot of you hang on his every word, and if you hang on him last week, you've been left angling because he got zip from five. As one of my rather witty and pithy correspondents said to me on the email, a biological miracle that occurred, A chuck managed to produce a duck. But nonetheless, here we go for state of origin tonight Chuck says the Blues and oh he's thrown into score prediction. Wow, how about this twenty three sixteen? That's what he reckons New South Wales twenty three the Maroons sixteen. So he's gone for the Blues. Look, I think you know the smart money, if there's such a thing, is on the Blues is in hide back him there. Now, As for the rest of the round, what are we round twelve? Now? I think of the NRL. An't we Dragons up against the Knights? He's gone for the Dragons. Has the Chuckster up against the Knights? So let's see what happens there. They are playing a jubilee now Saturday night or Saturday afternoon rather the Titans up against the Storm. He's tipped the Storm. They are playing on the Gold Coast, but I think most people would say the Storm are likely to win, although they'll have a few out well. Backing up from Origin, the Cowboys up against the Tigers. This will be the match of the round of course, Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville, HQ. He's gone for the Cowboys. It's been cool, all right. I think he's right. Sea Eagles up against the Broncos on Saturday night. Broncos is the chuckster's tip, and rabbit O's up against the Warriors on Sunday. That'll be two o'clock. I think that match actually on Sunday because it's from a course stadium in Sydney. He's gone for the Bunnies, the Bunnies to beat the Warriors. Okay, well, if it up to me, I think I would have gone the Warriors. But anyway, we've got to follow the We've gotta follow the Guru. So his tips New South Wales tonight, New South Wales. I hang on this more? What am I doing? There's more Panthers vv Eels on Sunday. That's the four o'clock game Panthers, says the chuck and then wrapping up Sunday night six fifteen pm kickoff. I think Roosters and Raiders. He's back to his own team. He's back the Roosters. Okay. Oh, he's gone for a couple of a couple of outsiders, I'd say anyway, So there you go, Chuck Reckons the Blues tonight, and then Dragons Storm, Cowboys, Broncos, rabbit Os, panthers and roosters, and we'll put all of those up on the two QB presenter tipping list if you missed a couple one three, one eight seven three the open line number one three, one eight seven three. A lot of stuff around. Interesting story out of Denmark, and I wonder if it's a sign of the times. The Danes apparently are going to raise their retirement age to seventy by the year twenty forty. That's not that far away. If they do it, and well they will do it, it'll be the highest in Europe. The fen Review reporting it was a pretty tight, well controversial vote in parliament. Wasn't tight. He got through eighty one to twenty one. It has been approved by the legislature. The age of retirement has been tied to life expectancy over there, and to a degree, I think that's what happens everywhere, but in Denmark at the moment the average expectancy is eighty one point seven years, so just shy of eighty two years. But they'll be working till there's seventy, so not too much of a retirement, and the government decided, okay, we'll raise the threshold every five years. Now, under the Danish system, the retirement age will rise from sixty seven to sixty eight in twenty thirty, then up to sixty nine by twenty thirty five, and yep, you guessed it, by twenty forty up to seventy. The retirement age of seventy will only apply to Danes that are born after December the thirty first, nineteen seventy. Should they call that grandfathering? Maybe it is. In that circumstance. The Prime minister over there has admitted that the sliding scale for retirement isn't sustainable and that a news system will eventually need to replace it. Okay, Now, there's a number of issues that come up with this, because whereas once upon a time there was a fairly high percentage of most Western economies where the workers were manual workers, these days the percentage of white collar workers, technicians, professionals, or whatever the term happens to be people in the services industry is growing, and so theoretically, because they're not putting their physical shoulder to the wheel five or six days a week. Theoretically they can work longer, but there's the whole quality of life thing in play, and you don't want to discriminate between the manual workers and the office workers and then the workers from home and the rest of it. So you've got to land on a figure. And this is where a lot of economies are struggling, I think, because they've realized age pensions can't go on the way they are forever. The percentage of workers vi retirees is shifting in favor of the retirees, not the workers, and so you know, we just don't have the money in the bank. People are living longer, so it's not sustainable to give people the pension for thirty five years after their retirement. So you've got to shrink that gap. All of these different things are being thrown into the calculation, but at some point they're still going to be brick layers and steel fabricators and roofers and tilers and all these sort of people. They're probably not on average, going to be ga able to be working at seventy two, seventy three, seventy four, seventy five. Let's just be honest. It's not practical. If you're a landscape gardener, I don't think you're going to be digging trenches and hauling huge bits of pine around walls at the age of seventy seven on average. So again, all of these things have to be considered. So the Danes are moving to seventy eventually will go the same way, I'm quite sure. But how this impacts the broader electorate going forward, that is going to be something that has debated the world over. You might have some thoughts on that. Actually one three, one eight seven three is the open line number. It's quarter past two, okay, twenty past or almost twenty past two. We're still waiting for the Coalition heavies to come out and announce that shadow Cabinet. They'll be doing that in Canberra any moment. Just to repeat the news regarding energy, the Federal Government's approved the extension of the Woodside Northwest Shelf gas project. I believe for another four years. Why it took this long, I don't know. It just had to happen. Now. As regarding the police media, I've just had this come through to me that they're appealing for assistance to locate a man missing from Sydney's Northern Beaches. Ami Eta Mardi, aged twenty eight, was last seen on motor Vail Beach Motor about eleven o'clock yesterday morning. When he couldn't be contacted or located. Officers attached to Northern Beaches Police herea command were notified and commenced inquiries into his whereabouts. Amir is described as being of Mediterranean Middle Eastern appearance, about one hundred and seventy five centimeters tall, of thin build, with short brown hair. He wears glasses and he was last seen wearing a brown long sleeve shirt, light blue vest and black pants. Now about six am today, a parts by located clothing and property that police believe belongs to a Meir on Monaval Beach. Now. He's known to fre Quent, Pymble and Northern Beaches areas. Now, if you've got any information about this incident, a you are urged to contact crime Stoppers. One eight hundred triple three Triple zero. One eight hundred triple three, triple zero is the number. Now, what do you make of this? There's a story bouncing around out of the UK the other night. Look, we've all been in well, I don't know we all have. I've certainly been in plenty of sporting teams and haven't been that successful, and judging by my sporting prowess, that tended to be the result of the sporting teams. I was in the ease. The f's that sort of thing. We weren't. We weren't really playing in the big league. That was for our own safety. I think nothing else. But there's a score that came out out of the UK. I think it was one of these sort of not county cricket. It was a local cricket thing. I did a bit of that when I was over there on the gap. It was good fun until you met people that actually knew what they were doing. It's scared that the Jesus out of me. But Richmond's fourth eleven over there won the toss and elected to bowl. Now they conceded four hundred and twenty six runs. They then obviously went into that was off forty five overs, the other side six for four to twenty six of forty five overs. It must have either been a short boundary or something. But anyway, so in go to the Richmond fourth eleven needing four hundred and twenty seven to win off I assume forty five hive overs. Well, they got through five point four overs before they they were all scuttled for a grand total of two. Now, it's uh, I don't know. It's the participation that's important. Is when you're that bad, you know, you sort of think, are they really just there for the cucumber sandwiches? So all out for two? Eight of the ten batsmen were gone for a duck. It's not it's not a good look. Not a good look anyway. I don't know if you've ever been in a sporting side that's been scuttled so badly or nearly as embarrassing, lea, Perhaps you'd like to share your story one three one eight seven three. Maybe it was a rugby side that got beaten one hundred and twenty to a nil or something. See, we used to have the mercy rule at school. Not that it ever applied to teams that I was playing against, no need to ever activate it, but occasionally it was almost applied to us. But you know, if you're up sort of the other side, that is, if they are up sort of sixty four nil at half time, sort of, let's just let's all have a second orange cord. And go home early or something. Yeah, that sort of thing, mercy. It's a bit harder in one day cricket. When you set someone the team a total of four hundred and twenty seven to win, you don't really predict they'd all be gone for just two. But anyway, I guess that's sport important light left, life lesson. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose really really badly. It's that time of the afternoon.
Speaker 1: Time to find out what's coming up on Sydney Now for the Serrato successor the turbo charged Kak four kias on new small sedan GT Line veryant available. Now find out more about Kia's latest small car.
Speaker 2: Well, here he is Clinton made art himself aka Sydney Now I think referred to this morning on the number one breakfast show in this city as I think I just don only get this wrong, but I think the allegation was the thinking woman's sex symbol, sex symbol, sex bomb, something like that sex symbol thanks yet to be denied by Clinton. Maynard. Hello Clinton, I've been.
Speaker 5: Looking forward to talking to the cutest boy yes in the building.
Speaker 2: Mick mack Helo, Hello, Sexy Beast, I love Pordo he's for the governments today. I don't know what was going on in breakfast, but it was interesting point to make that the claim about me has been fiercely criticized and attacked by certain people on board who think it should be them. One of them's just walked in, Cameron de Carlo. He's got one pair of shorts. Well, he only has one pair of shorts, but he wears them particularly well in more ways than one. But he he is of the belief he is the cutest boy in the building. What do you think?
Speaker 5: No, I'm giving you the title. I agree with Ben completely, and particularly with your style. The fact that you've had the guts to wear Marone today. Purple, which is rats closer to mona happens when you mix blue and red. So he's he's wearing folks. He's wearing a West Tiger's shirt, his high viz yellow. Yes and over that is a Morone Jumpers purple jumper. Purple jumper. Well, I'm not wearing that. I am at least wearing the official statum. You've got the real thing, hoodie. You look very smart. Nobody's asked me for my tips today.
Speaker 2: No, who do you support?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: New South Wales by how many New South Well, I'm formally tipping New South Wales. I think Queen's gonna win, but I'm formally.
Speaker 2: I think I don't think. I think your Southwest.
Speaker 5: It's a no brain. They're playing at son called Game one. Look at their lineup. But I'm tipping New South Wales because I've been criticized for not supporting my team, so formally tipping New South Wales.
Speaker 2: Okay, what about Cronala, Well they're not.
Speaker 5: I think I think they've got a really good chance this weekend. Bye, they're playing.
Speaker 2: Good yes, yeah, good luck to them all. Right now after three o'clock, what's happening?
Speaker 5: Yeah, plenty. Coming up on the program, we'll have a look at the train's three person panel announced today to conduct a review. It is a review into a review. That's actually the formality because they the Walsh Report was conducted and Carolyn Walsh is now part of this review and she'll be conducting a review of what she previously reviewed, just to see where they're up to.
Speaker 2: But this is yes minute, this is just so government, isn't it. We'll have a review to look at the review and then we'll have an inquiry about the review, and then we'll have a review into the inquiry, and then we'll have an election.
Speaker 5: The reality is I was inundated with messages while I was on are yesterday afternoon with problems with the Metro Monday afternoon.
Speaker 2: It was the T one.
Speaker 5: Now, there were certain circumstances that triggered the T one problems, but it also meant that if you're on the line throughout city's western suburbs, you're also affected by what was happening in our tament Friday afternoon. Yes, we had weather events that occurred in the middle of the day, but is that an excuse for the City Circle to be it standstill at three point fifteen of course, and then the forty eight hours outage before that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, I don't want to cut the rail network any slack because I don't think they necessarily deserve it. But if you go to the UK, where they've had an extensive rail network for a long time, you get the quote unquote wrong type of snow and the whole thing shuts down as well. So it's not as if it's only Sydney that has a weather related issue, and.
Speaker 5: They have plenty of industrial relations problems with that particular workforce as well. Yes, certainly they have it, so we'll have a look at that. Also going to have a look at the effects of concussion with an expert in this field. But there's been obviously not a focus on concussion AFL particularly right Yeah, AFL other context sports including rugby league and rugby union. But a teenager passed away this week in New Zealand playing run it Straight, which has received a little bit of attention in the past couple of weeks. Run it Straight is. Yes, it's a very physical form of what we would have played back in the day, tackle bull rushes, something like that, but it's the way social media is being used to really push these trends along that are quite dangerous. So we're going to talk to an expert in concussion about that. Plus, we often this time of the year, coming up towards the end of the financial year, here a warning from the ATO about what we can't claim for tax deductions. How we're going to find ourselves in trouble if we claim things that we're not really entitled to. What some research has been released today from H and R Block that sixty six percent of us actually not making claims correctly and doing ourselves out of five hundred dollars per year.
Speaker 2: So I'll be speaking with.
Speaker 5: H and R Block about that.
Speaker 2: Did you text deduct the dry cleaning of that jersey that you're wearing.
Speaker 5: It hasn't been dry lead yet.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, cutting your some slack. Thanks Clinton, Clinton, of course, straight after three o'clock with Sydney Now Susan Lee, the Opposition leader. Official Opposition leaders just stood up in Canberra to start outlining the shadow cabinet. Let's have a listen and we can.
Speaker 12: Announce our new coalition shadow ministry. I want to thank you, David for the respectful and productive way that you and I have engaged throughout this process, and I know that we will be a great partnership going forward. I promise my leadership would be done differently, and it will be. I've communicated with every single member of my party room about this shadow ministry, those who are in the Shadow Ministry and those who are not. Now that style might be unconventional, but it's important because I always said that I would harness the talents of my party room. Everyone has a role to play, even if they're not formally in this lineup, and as I said, I've communicated with every member of my party room, all fifty four because this is a team that draws on the deep well of the Australian experience. It includes those who've served in uniform, migrants and the descendants of the oldest continuous culture on Earth. There are those who've balanced the books in small businesses and those who've made tough calls in corporate boardrooms. Our team is one of strivers and optimists, of leaders and listeners. We have voices from the city to the bush, people who went to university and those who got a trade. The new Coalition Shadow Ministry balances experience with new talent. It reflects the full range of our philosophical traditions, values and perspectives across our two great party rooms. And this is important because our parties are at their best when they work together to fight right now as a strong opposition for this government. Now, I'm really excited to work with my new economic team, Ted O'Brien as Shadow Treasurer and James Patterson in Finance Andrew Bragg in a new productivity and deregulation role. This will help develop economy wide solutions to pressing issues for Australians, including housing, and as Shadow Housing Minister, Andrew will ensure that housing policy is at the heart of our economic agenda. Tim Wilson will be the Shadow Minister for Industrial Relations and Employment and most importantly, the Shadow Minister for Small Business. Dave Shalmer will also join the Economic team as the Shadow Assistant Minister for Competition, Charities and Treasury. I'm particularly proud of our Foreign Affairs, National Security and Defense team, which will include Bechaylia Cash as Shadow Foreign Minister, Angus Taylor as Shadow Defense Minister, Andrew Hasty as Shadow Home Affairs Minister, and Jason Wood as Shadow Minister for International Development and the Pacific. This is a strong team that knows what it takes to keep Australians safe. As the first woman to take on the Leader of the Opposition role, I'm also very pleased to see a number of capable women advance forward. Nothing is more central to the prosperity of Australians than our safety, so I'm excited to see Senator Jacinta nabajimper Price take on the crucial role of Shadow Minister for Defense Industry and Shadow Minister for Defense Personnel. Karen Little will come into the Shadow Cabinet and serve as Shadow Minister for Indigenous Australians and so Services. Angie Bell will come into the Shadow Cabinet with the Environment and Youth portfolios. Melissa Macintosh will take on the really important Women's portfolio and continue her great work in communications, being a strong voice for the protection of women and children from the failures of big tech.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's Susan Lee. She continues to speak in Canberra outlining the shadow Cabinet. I'll bring you more of that. David Little Proud about to step up and give his take on all of this as well. But before we do, let's cross to the newsroom of all the other news of the day. You're a Margaret.
Speaker 8: Afternoon, Good afternoon, Michael, and yesap, we have just heard Ted O'Brien's chosen shadow treasurer. Opposition Leader Susan Lee has announced Angus Taylor moves to Defense and Andrew Hasty to Home Affairs in the shadow front bench. The Federal government has given Woodside the all clear for a massive gas development off the West Australian coast. The company will have to abide by strict environmental conditions a legal challenge against Ewington College, going co Ed's being dealt a significant blow the judge ruling the term youth in the school's trust deed was used in a gender neutral sense, and King Charles has become the first monarch in nearly seventy years to preside over the opening of Canadian Parliament. He alluded to US President Donald Trump's suggestions of annexation. Mister Trump responded on social media claiming Canada is considering an offer to become the fishty first US state in sport. Rugby Australia is pushing for the introduction of Golden Point to decide drawn games in the upcoming series between the Wallabies and British and Irish Lions. ARA wants to avoid a repeat of the twenty seventeen series between the All Blacks and Lines, which ended one All There'll be more news at three o'clock on afternoons.
Speaker 1: A finance update for Pretzel Wealth and finance for Trusted Financial Planning Just Google Blake went to Pretzel.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's catch up with Scott Phillips from the Botley full dot com dot e ue joins us Scott the monthly CPI d Arta as we discussed little earlier has been released today. It's that from the Bureau a Bureau of Statistics, rather than not mediorology. What do our inflation numbers tell us? What are the numbers telling us?
Speaker 13: Not pretty unfortunately, maybe a better forgot it from the bomb, but instead we got from the Bureau of Statistics. Two point four percent was the monthly inflation number. Now that's still much better than it has been in the past. We know that, we know it's been much much higher. The problem was that was two point four percent last month. We were hoping it was going to keep coming down, so it stayed stumbling at that kind of level. It's not the worst thing in the world. If we stayed at two and a half percent for the year, we'd be well inside of the RBA's target range. But we know this can be volatile, Sony. Any decrease would have been useful. Also, we wanted to see the trend continue, the sense that we were going to to get things to get better on inflation rather just stay stagnant. So I guess, okay, okay. Result, the problem is the annual trimmed mean actually went up. And this is the one that kind of is a bit ugly, so it was two point seven percent. Now the trim mean takes out the volatile stuff. It was two point seven scent last month in March or the month before when it was last released. The most recently released data for April release today goes up from two point seven to two point eight percent. An increase is definitely definitely not wanted. So yeah, that's where we find ourselves. Not a great result, unfortunately, could have been worse, but could have been a heap better. Probably going to have the RBA rocking back a little bit in its chair when it comes to thinking about the next rate cup potential. In July, okay, the market on the dollar markets was having a better date, so I've dropped off after lunch. We're now down a tenth of one percent eighty six hundred and twenty five points. Memberhi of the his trained dollars down seven tents of a percent sixty four point three zero us sinse wonderful.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that. Scott will catch you tomorrow. Scott Phillips said from the Motley foolfull dot com dot au. Just listening in to Susan Lee and David Little Proud. I mean couple of the important portfolios and important positions. The Shadow Treasurer will be Ted o'bright. He's enormously capable, although I think losing him out of Energy is a loss for the broader debate because he will be replaced by Dan t And I don't think to be fair, Danteene really prosecuted the immigration case with greater plom We need someone who's going to be able to forensically dissect the policies of Chris Bowen. Whether Danteene is the answer to that, I'm yet to be convinced. I hope you can. He will be joined as Assistant Minister of Energy by Senator Dean Smith. Now Dean Smith's very capable, but he isn't the Senate. But let's see what happens with those two on that issue. It's most important. Immigration goes to Senator Paul Scarr. I don't think too many people will be able to spot Paul scar in an airport lineup, but anyway, there you go. Just at a price. She's defense industry and defense personnel, so not in indigenous affairs, but moved to a different portfolio. That's okay. She needs to have it needs to be tested. As we said, earlier outside of Indigenous Affairs. Now, I don't think Defense industry and personnel is a seat at the cabinet table. I think it's on the sort of the set secondary rung, as it were. I think I'm right in saying that Andrew Hasty goes into Home affairs Michaulia Cash, I think is foreign affairs, Angus Taylor out of Treasury into defense itself. Now he'll have to prove himself there. Andrew Hasty as the said Home Affairs now Dave Sharma, he's going to be competition Tim Wilson's in as was expected, he goes into be shadow ir and small business. He will be a hand in the glove right there. Andrew Bragg very capable, send it a brag. He goes in for productivity, said Ted O'Brien, as Treasurer Finance. Alongside that will be the very capable James Patterson. So an interesting move, a bunch of moves it does. When you look down the list, look like pretty much everyone gets surprised because between shadow ministries and a shadow assistant ministries and this and that is about a thousand of them. So they'll all have some sort of role. I think were you saying Jacob Gisell capped here in depending on whether she holds Bradfield or not, gets a gurney somewhere. We'll see what happens there as well. One three one eight seven three more after this, okay, questions coming through from you about the shadow ministry. Someone asks, what about Julian Lisa. Yes, Julian Lisa will be the shadow Attorney General and the arts. He gets that one as well. But a shadow Attorney General Julian Lisa. That seems to make a lot of sense. Some noticeable absentees, Sarah Henderson and Jane Hume. I believe both dumped completely. I don't think they're getting a run. So Sarah Henderson and Jane Hume out. That's my understanding at this point in time. One three one eight seven three. All right, there's a qu to call if you want to go along to the National Wine Festival in Canberra. We can put your name in the draw. We'll be drawing the winner on Friday's program at the time we do that Friday Food. So one three one eight seven three. I need call a number five today, Please number five on the open line. One three, one eight seven three, and you're in the draw that's accommodation at the Extraordinary Park high at Candra. Two tickets to the trophy presentation dinner at Parliament House that'll be on Thursday, the twelfth of June. Two tickets to the Expo tasting event on the thirteenth. A beautiful prize. So if you want to go along, call a number five getting quick one, three, one, eight, seven to three and you will be in the drawer. As I said, we will reveal the winner on Friday. It's thirteen and a bit minutes to three. Just before we get to Track of the day. Seven years earlier, we're reporting the Cocoa twos baby formula company has recorded its product over feeding guide errors. The era relates to incorrect labeling of scoop sizes of the product, which is a world first baby formula developed here in Australia from coconut milk. A number of parents had informed that their babies were losing weight and getting sick. The father of a four month old baby, who wanted to remain anonymous, according to seven Years, said his son ended up in hospital with severe malnutrition. So just to repeat Cocoa two's baby formula, the company behind that I have recalled its product over feeding guide errors. All right, So just to let you know.
Speaker 1: Now one afternoons the track of the day.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, well down a Raphael of Granville. Raphael, you're on the shortlist for the announcement on Fridays to the Wonderful Wine Prize. So congratulations, stay there and we'll pull the name out of the bottle as it were on Friday to see who the lucky winner is. It's a heck of a prize. Okay, track of the day. Speaking of wonderful prizes, you want to double pass to Island Orchestrated with the one and only Damien Leith, And of course we interviewed Damien. He sung for us in here beautiful music. Well, I got a double pass. So if you want to go one three, one eight seven three, this is going to be Saturday May thirty one. Don't miss Island Orchestrated. It's Sydney's iconic State Theater. He is the voice that stole Australia's heart, Damien Leith, and the good news is he's back on stage Saturday May thirty one. If you want to go one three, one eight seven three. But you're going to have to do the hard work. First track of the day, we give you a question, you know, And I was on this day in the year two thousand, the Canberra Raiders played the Mighty Tigers. They score I think Cambra one twenty four to twenty two. But there was something rather unique about the game. All right, on this day of the year two thousand, the Raiders played the Tigers. I was in Canberra. The score was twenty four to twenty two to the Raiders. But there was something particularly unique about the game. What happened or what was it? If you can recall one, three, one, eight, seven to three and the first person with the right answer against the prize, great prize. Here's a little clue.
Speaker 3: The snow is snowing, the wind is blowing.
Speaker 2: But I can weather the star.
Speaker 7: What do I care how much it may start.
Speaker 12: I've got my love to keep me warm.
Speaker 3: I can't remember a worst December.
Speaker 5: Just watch those icycles fall.
Speaker 2: What do I care? Is iicircles fall? I've got my love to keep me.
Speaker 9: Off with my ow the code off with Michaels.
Speaker 2: All right, let's say you can find a winner one through one. No more calls full board. I'm sure we'll get one here. Carry you are through very very quickly. What you what happened, Carrie? What happened on that? They did? They did correct and a few of them got frostbot I believe as well. All right, well done, Okay, you're off to see the wonderful Damian Leith. That's going to be a beautiful, beautiful concert Saturday May thirty one. Hang, they're Kerry, well done and we'll get the double pass to you. And you were going to be in for a real treat. They did. They played in the snow. Now where are we? About ten minutes to three, David Little Proud still speaking to the media. We were hoping to speak to Nines Charles Croucher, but he's in the room obviously covering the press conference. So I suspect we might have to hand that over to Clinton or somebody else. But the better part of the Shadow Minister has all been announced to center Price out of Indigenous affairs, she goes into defense material and whatnot. Dan Tean, I think this in some ways is actually the headline the Coalition have decided. Dan Teyan is best placed to prosecute the case against Chris Bowen and just a moment ago. Obviously not everyone agrees with that, and I don't. And so Susan Lee was asked by somebody, do you think this is the right fit? And she said, words to the fact, everybody agrees. Everybody agrees Dan Tean's the right choice. Sorry, I don't think everyone does agree. Now, Look, people like me stand to be corrected. And for the nation's sake, I hope Dan rips and tears and does brilliantly, but he'll have big shoes to fill following the lead of Ted O'Brien in the last election. Despite the result, there was probably one area where the coalition we're head and shoulders above the opposition on the debate, and that is energy. Now, they didn't fully prosecute the case, probably because the headquarters didn't allow them to do it, but there's no doubt whenever they met, whenever they spoke, ted O'Brien wiped the floor with the Chris Bowen. Will Dan Tean do the same, I don't know. And he'll have a big challenge because they won't fully commit to nuclear as an alternative either, so that's going to be a difficult one for him to navigate. Anyway, there'll be full coverage about all of that with Clinton straight after three o'clock on Sydney. Now, as you can appreciate now, look, if you're not watching the shadow Cabinet being unveiled, chances are you're not a lot of people are watching other things. Now there's this show bouncing around. I've never seen an episode. I've seen the shorts of it. Probably not my kind of thing. The Secret Lives of Mormon Wives, The Secret Lives of Mormon Wives. Apparently this is absolutely a ratings juggernaut and I think it follows if I'm not mistaken. Seven Mormon ladies are they all from Utah? I guess Salt Lake City or something, And it's a bit of an insight into their lives and the scandal. Anyway, so season two's arriving because season one was that enormous hit, and it says he the cast open up about six stereotypes and swinging swinging. I don't know that was a Mormon thing. But anyway, as they say here in the UK Telegraph, Mormonism is having a moment on TikTok and Instagram and hit stage and TV shows among the believers forming snaking queues outside churches from Salt Lake City to South Kensington. In the era of Trump's America, the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter day Saints, with all its conservative rules and regulations, is riding a wave of increasing popularity. Social media is dominated by Mormon tradwife influences really, such as Nara Smith and Ballerina Farm. Now is that a place or a person? Ballerina Farm? Does anybody know? It sounds like somewhere that you'd rere unicorns or something, But maybe it's a person who presenters idyllic, old fashioned daily existence filled with Bible study, baking, and breastfeeding their never ending supply of children to the millions of followers. Sales of the Book of Mormon, the Holy Scripture that they follow, have doubled since the start of the millennium, with the church, which has around sixteen million active members worldwide, reporting that more than two hundred million copies had been distributed by twenty twenty three, up from one hundred million in the year two thousand. But they say there's another factor in the church's resurgence. Last year, reality TV gained a new mega hit in the Seak Lives of Mormon Wives, a soapy scandalous series about a group of female Mormon influences known as Mumtockers living in the state of Utah, and I think Disney put all this together. They report that season two, which launched in the UK last week, has already been watched by five million people, a marked increase from the first season premiere, according to the studio, although the increase hasn't been publicly declared, and on and on a ghost so it says here it's got all the juicy sort of stuff that TV needs. Ex best friends turned enemies, villainous backstabers, out landish gossip, illicit sex, adultery, gambling, old hear and carefully controlled social events that ninety nine percent of the time end in screaming matches, set against the backdrop of a swinging scandal that almost tore apart the lives of some of the shows cast back in twenty twenty two. It says it's a recipe for TV gold, right, So it's sort of like Maths meets the Mormons, and apparently it's rating just as well. Well, I didn't watch season one do other things, but chances are many of you did. Is it as gripping as all of that one, three, one eight seven three five to three. All right, we're out of here in a minute, but the opposition press conference continues in Canberra. David Little Proud has just been asked about just see a price going to the outer ministry with defense industry. Here he is.
Speaker 14: We've made it clear before we were disappointed that Jacina left us, but I was proud of the fact that we were the first to support her and the no case our party room, we got that cabinet position for her to give her that platform. But she has ambition beyond what my party room can give, and I don't think I should put my personal disappointment above somebody who has the ambition to have a high office than what the National Party. I think I've got to be bigger than that and think about the country and we wish it well in whatever endeavor she gets in terms of achieving that. But why should we put a ceiling on someone that has ambition?
Speaker 2: There is David Little Proud. There'll be some people saying, is this a big enough portfolio for her to test a toe in the war. Let's see, let's see. Thank you for your company. As I said, Clinton's up next with Sydney now and i'll be with you tomorrow. Have a good afternoon.