Speaker 1: Oh Jesus, California dream. And when we think California, we only think of one person. That's Rod Smith, our US correspondent, get A Rod.
Speaker 2: Get A Simon. Looks like you're on deck this morning.
Speaker 1: I am. Yes, Tony's just a little off color. Partner's been. It was a little crooking earlier in the week, and it's it seems that Tony's caught it. So he's taking a couple of days off.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, like if he takes say, three more days, I'm sure you'll be happy.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll happily take the money anytime exactly. How's things going in California.
Speaker 2: How's the weather that I was going to say, Hey, it's a little overcast today, currently eighteen going for twelve of twenty two. Look, I'm sure it will progress pretty soon. I'm talking about till the warmer days. Because last weekend it was the unofficial start of summer here in California and the United States.
Speaker 1: And yeah, eighteen start of summer. That's not bad. That's well, I don't know, I'm not there to compare a year on year, but eighteen degrees not a bad start for the start of summer.
Speaker 2: I think now that's on the coast. Now if you go inland, the temperature goes up another ten to fifteen degrees.
Speaker 1: Oh does it really?
Speaker 2: Very quickly? So you kind of go, hey, it's good to be on the coast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, craky all right. Now, so a weather aside, what's happening in California, well around the US at this time?
Speaker 2: Well, gen Z is now they're signing up for adult one oh one classes their Simon. Now, gen Z is con code TikTok in their sleep, but can't really cook rice without looking at a YouTube tutorial. And gen Z is they're flocking to this Adulting one oh one. It's a crash course of doing things, and they're desperate to learn what previous generations called common sense. How do you find that? Well, they're trying to, but look, how to do laundry, budgeting for rents, or navigating a grocery store without Google finding out what our turn up is? Now? Adulting one oh one covers everything from healthy relationships to how not to set your kitchen on fire. And look, Simon, I was going to say, do you remember when we used to do home economics in high school?
Speaker 1: I was thinking exactly that. Hello, to missus Tyrrell if she's listening my home economics teacher from school.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. We used to cook things. Yeah, and we had all these stoves in the classroom and you had to cook stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember it well. I was never good at it, but I remember it well.
Speaker 2: And some kids used to catch things on fire.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, go to lift a saucepan off. You were just boiling some water on the stove and it was a gas stove, and you go to lift the saucepan off with a tea towel so you don't burn yourself, but you set fire to the tea towel. I think most students did that at some point.
Speaker 2: Well, it was a learning curve, wasn't it, Simon. Yah, you only do it on gens is. They're looking to find those crucial life lessons now. I hope at all one oh one helps them.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I'm surprised that they don't do more of that at school. Yeah, Mike, two of my kids are driving the other to a learning Not one of them knows how to change a tire. I had to come and change a tire for my daughter the other day when she got a nail in it, and because I've said to it, do you know where the jack is? And she said, what's a jack? So these sorts of things I think could be useful to be taught in school.
Speaker 2: What are they going to do ring up RACV or NRMA all the other road organizations.
Speaker 1: Well, what they generally do is ring their parents and say what do I do now? So yeah, but I just you know, so much of school is you know, it's your maths, your chemistry, your sciences, your economics, legal studies, all of those things that you do at school. They're all based around what career you might want to take. And if you don't do well in all of those subjects, school can be a hard thing for some people. I wasn't a great student. I just wasn't very good at those sorts of things. But if they were teaching us practical things that we're going to use in life as well, like how to change a car tire, how to cook a tuna casserole, you know, how to how to put on a wash, and whether you use fabric softener with this thing or that thing. There are things that you could learn at school, and at least you would not feel that school was a waste of time, which which for me, I think it largely.
Speaker 2: Was look, everyday things, they just need to learn them. Yeah, and they're just common sense.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely yeah, Yeah, Well good on them for sighting up for those classes. I think it's wonderful. What else you got for us?
Speaker 2: Now, Look, when you go to swim, you know your brain is going to thank you there, simon, because swimming isn't just for fun. Neuroscience shows it provides a unique brain benefit from just you know, kind of getting rid of stress to improving your memory. Look, last weekend, like I said, it was the unofficial start to summer here in the US, and water based activities are really a great way to relax and stay cool. Exercise is good for the brain, as we well know, and psychologists and neuroscientists have covered of a variety of benefits that swimming seats to pride because look, it reduces stress, makes your brain work better, lowers blood pressure, and recent experiments showed that just two minutes as this, not even in the water, simon, just having a look at some lovely scenery, say waves, you know, crashing on the beach, or just looking at a beautiful lake, It is a great exercise for the mind, to for your blood pressure and heart rate. It can have that calming effect which is really good. Now, look overall, swimming is a great exercise and it makes us happier. So I'm sure, Simon, you know after work you'll be a lot happier when you go to swim in your infinity pool and look out to Port Philip Bay from your penthouse.
Speaker 1: Yes, a Carca de Owens, Yes, it's it's It's what I look forward to at the end of a long hard shift after my massuse gives me a rubdown as well. Yeah. Now in seriousness, though, Rod, I've got a I've got a friend who's taken up windsurfing as a hobby and and in freezing temperatures she'll go out and windsurf and I look at her and go you are insane. You can be sitting in front of a telly keeping warm and yet you're plunging yourself into the ocean trying to cling onto a board and a sail. But she really gets something out of it, And I think that's exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Well, if it's working for her, i'm sure it's going to work for other people.
Speaker 1: To Yep, no good, good advice makes me want to join a gym Monday. Now you've got news on only fans.
Speaker 2: Look, a young woman called Marie Tamara earns millions each year for her six foot three inch stature. Now look she really she's got to just look after her legs.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: They're a great asset and she makes five thousand dollars a month their assignment. Yeah, she will do whatever it takes. Well, not five thousand dollars a month. Should I say she spends five thousand dollars a month because she'll do whatever it takes to maintain her money making long legs. Like I said, she gets millions each year. I don't know as she does that. In the five thousand dollars, it includes massages, leg facials. What's a leg facial? But that must be keeping the legs nice and smooth to eliminate imperfections, and so she cannot afford to get a bruise, and any imperfection could ruin a photo shoot. But apart from her doing that, you know you've got to look at other models there simon leg models like she is, ones that will get paid a mediocre price of sixty five thousand a year. Have at catwalk models five hundred to two and a half thousand dollars a show, and then you had the supermodels. They can command high fees of twenty thousand dollars a show. But have you ever thought of being a hand model? Well, rates for being a hand model there, Simon, go from one hundred and fifty an hour to four thousand dollars a shoot. So if you're thinking about what else can I do in life? Well, have there being a hand model. If you've got good looking hands, sign up.
Speaker 1: Well, if ever varicus vains come into fashion, you know, maybe there's my chance.
Speaker 2: That doesn't sure you don't, Simon.
Speaker 1: I know I'm fit and healthy and trim, taught and terrific. But that reminds me of Catherine back or Back who was Daisy Duke in The Dukes of Hazard. I remember reading once that during the filming of The Dukes of Hazard, her legs were ensured for a million dollars. I don't know whether that was fake news at the time, but I just remember that being a story.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure that was on the money there, Simon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rod, we've got a squeeze in a break here where time's really getting away from us. Back with more of Rod after this. It's always a pleasure when I fill in for Tony to chat to Rod Smith in the US. And Rod, you've got a great story here about an anti aging cocktail.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, we always look for that fountain of youth, don't we there to give Simon? But look, ciders have tested an eighty aging drug cocktail in mice and found it extends the animal's life span by around thirty percent. Now, the mice stayed healthier for longer, with less chronic inflammation and delayed cancer onset. Now the two drugs are rapper micin and train metanib now both used to treat different kinds of cancer. And these two drugs that scientists were researching could help people to stay healthy and disease free for longer late in life. But both drugs are already approved for use here in the US and also Europe, so further studies are continuing their Simon's not bad to find out about that, because an extra thirty percent goes a good long way, don't it.
Speaker 1: What it does? If the average person's living to eighty or so, you know, an extra thirty percent gives you another twenty odd years there. That's that's quite remarkable. And if they're already available, I imagine it's going to be one of those things like o Zimpic where people just rush out and buy it without even reading the small print.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and find out what the after effects are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, yes, yeah, you grow a second, but then at least you've got company while you age.
Speaker 2: It's okay, exactly what have you got for us to leave us with? On this Day in Music, On This Day in Music, nineteen sixty nine, Crosby, Steels and Nash released their self titled album, spawning two top forty hits, Marracush Express and Sweet Judy Blue Eyes. Nineteen sixty five, The Beach Boys started a two week run at number one in the US with helped Me Ronda. Twenty fifteen, Michael Jackson's never Land Rents went up for sale for one hundred million. In nineteen seventy five, Sydney band Hush went and had a number one hit in Canada with Bernie Maroney. It was only a number nine hit in Australia and went to number two in the US, and two thousand and two, Natalie and Brulia Ossie, actress and singer. She was the new face of Laurel, signing up a deal worth one hundred and seventy thousand dollars. And here's his song that went to number one in the US and also Australia Torn.
Speaker 1: What a great song it is. Rod, It's always a pleasure to chat to you, Rod Smith with the US Report at this time each and every week.
Speaker 3: Naked illusion never change into something real? Why away can I can see the perfect guyster? You're a little late. I'm already