Speaker 1: You're listening to Australia Overen Eyes with Tony McManus. Keep a list coming greater female drummers.
Speaker 2: Interesting list and it's getting longer as we speak. One double three six nine three for sending those messages zero four double seven six nine three sixty nine three. Now a lot of the sales for motor cars takes place today. People wander around kay yards or is that just me? You wander around a k yard maybe today, tomorrow's Saturday, and you think, well that will be take that one for a drive. But what's that process feel like? What are the challenges? What are the things you should be doing to ultimately get.
Speaker 1: The deal that you have been longingly.
Speaker 2: Living for, lusting over sometimes Paula known as Miss Auto Kats Paula Kats, good morning.
Speaker 3: Good morning Tony and all tuning into three aw overnight.
Speaker 1: It's lovely to have you on the program. When we catch up.
Speaker 2: It is always a great joy because the idea of going out and buying a carry ideally a new car, not ideally, but often a new car, you've got to be You've got to be sort of on your guard, do you not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm prepared, prepared, prepared, is probably now with the market being as big as what it is. I think that preparations the important thing, especially with news, because we can break I think we should break this up into segments because we often talk about what we're going to talk about. And it was actually I put my hand up and said, let's give the listeners some relevant information, hopefully that they can use or their family and friends can use from Acari. So I'm accary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we are a little bit along that line. But you get it.
Speaker 2: You've had for much of your career saying I'm thinking of a new can, what will I buy? And then you were given some a few ideas and they often do exactly the opposite to what you've recommended. So you then get to the point you get, well, I'm just not going to make any recommendations anymore. But I guess one of the important things would be is to actually decide if you're like, what type of car in fact that you might be able to, whether it be a hatch of Sedan or whatever.
Speaker 3: That's that's I think that's step number one time, because if the mind doesn't even know what type you want, so you've got in short Sadan or hatch small car, SUV, big or small ute. Obviously, if you need a ute, you know you need a ute, but do you need a four by four? Do you need a four by two ut? Do you need a ute with a tray or do you need a jewel cab so or do you need a canopy? Do you need a van? And once you understand what type you need, it's got buying a bed, king or queen. Then you can move on to firm or soft. So that's step number one.
Speaker 2: That's step number one. I'm already exhausted. And then of course around all of that there's budget, the budgets y constraints because these things are by comparison to the old days, these are no longer cheap no cars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cars obviously they've changed. I mean, I mean people know everything's gone up in price, but the budget small car entry option just isn't available anymore. In Australia. There's a few Chinese manufacturers like MG that have brought in some price points Bucket nineteen thousand and twenty thousand, but if people are really searching for a new car, the price points are generally from twenty five to thirty thousand onwards, and that's because you don't have to pay extra fork in anything else. Really, the car itself has all the accessories as standard. So what most accessories are standard?
Speaker 1: That puller.
Speaker 2: I'd often say to people, Look, you need to consider, you know, if you in all of this, if you consider, do your research and consider somewhere between four or five six models, that gives you a sense of what may come out of that.
Speaker 3: One hundred and if you go, okay, let's just hypothetically tired, I don't know, let's just choose the most popular car at the moment statistically is an SUV. So that statistics for showing that over thirty two percent of people that was last month is got purchasing SUVs. So if you're purchasing an SUV, your medium sized SUV, say okay, what models? Do? What brands? Do I like that? I want to go and test drives? Ie, Am I going to go and look at the Toyota Ave four? Do I like the mass the CX five? Do I want the key Serado? What models am I going to look for? And I think that's going to help them? ID not get too distracted by the noise of thirty five brands in your.
Speaker 2: Face and there is there are there's so much from which it choose, Almost like every every week we're seeing a new launch from something coming out of a China. I see a Kia are about to just launch. There are there a youth.
Speaker 1: Coming up I think either today or tomorrow, which you know. I mean, it's just there is so much from.
Speaker 2: Which to choose, which must be confusing if you're in the market one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: And actually one note that that I didn't put in there now also is what type of engine?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're looking for?
Speaker 3: Actually I forgot that because you know, petrol is almost obsolete, pretty much like ninety I don't even know the statistics. I'm not going to make it up. I think there's a couple of cars less than are one hundred percent petrol. So we're going to look at an electric car, or we're going to look at a hybrid hybrid, you know, So I think, actually I forgot to put that little notes in there. And then once you work out the look, I mean, I'm not sure if people generally make a decision based on the physical appearance of a car, but most people do. And then you say, okay, now what do I do? And there's a saying tone that we used to have in the automotive industry. I was taught twenty years ago the feel of the wheel seals the deal.
Speaker 1: Well, I love it. I'm going to write that down so that one we're the.
Speaker 3: Feel of the wheel, ye seal the deal.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because because anybody can like a look of a car, they can imagine themselves in the car. Though the reality is is that once you sit in the car, just like choosing a bed, you may or may not be comfortable.
Speaker 1: Very very true. We'll do this break when we come back. I want to take some calls.
Speaker 2: So those of you bought a new car recently, had the process go for you?
Speaker 1: And from where?
Speaker 2: What did you end up buying one double three six nine three, One double three six nine three. When did you buy a new car, your new most recent purchase, what was it, how did that process go? And how long since you've bought a new car? One double three six nine three. I mentioned earlier in the program Paula had actually doesn't test drive for a column, And hopefully I'll get to the column before the.
Speaker 1: End of this month. The new they call it a tundra. Tundra from Toyota.
Speaker 3: Ah, did you drive the Tundra?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: The first couple of days, I'm thinking yeah. But then after the week do you want to get out of It's.
Speaker 1: Fantastic before it's so beautiful, really gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Who would have thought that we fall in love with you? Stay there, we're talking to paul Up Miss Auto Cats. It's a Friday morning, austraighter of a night. Hello Paula known as miss Auto. Paula Cats. How to buy car?
Speaker 1: A little no, no, I think I.
Speaker 2: Don't know whether you and I have spoken about this before. The idea of a test drives a little dull bit of boring. But I'll often say to you have people that are looking to buy something, whether it be a new or whether infect it'll be eighteen months old, it is.
Speaker 1: So important to take it for a drive.
Speaker 2: And your people some say, oh, no, I know what I want and they don't.
Speaker 1: Even test drive it.
Speaker 3: No, they don't. And there's some there's some stories. Even with myself. This is my I'm timed. I'm a prime example of not test driving a car. And I love the look of it, loved everything about it, and it was actually a fee at five hundred. You know, one of those.
Speaker 1: Living Yeah, yeah, gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just love the look of it. And I went, yeah, no, I want that. Didn't drive it, and unfortunately the positioning of the pedals, so the brake and the accelerator were on such an angle that it was overflexing my foot. I couldn't even drop the car.
Speaker 1: Your hips were moving in the wrong direction.
Speaker 3: And that was and I went, you know what, you have to drive the car, and you also have to ensure that you're set up properly on the test drive.
Speaker 1: What's it like when you're buying a new vehicle? And now John's called in the John you bought what.
Speaker 3: I bought it?
Speaker 4: Good morning everyone, Thank you morning John. Good I went out and had a look at at AA patrol eight months ago and I'm absolutely in love with this thing. It's a beast, absolute beast, and I knew what I was looking for, so that made the journey a lot easier, I guess. But yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: And John, you presumably you'd lusted over for a period of time.
Speaker 1: Was this your first patrol?
Speaker 4: No, I've got two patrols. Actually, I've got the old diesel as well, which I'm I'm in at the moment, but I wanted to secure myself of V eight because myself and my wife in a few years time, we want to go to caravanning and I couldn't think of a better car to go caravanning than this. So my heart was set on this.
Speaker 2: You had that because you wanted the eight as opposed to say, what you're going to get these days from land Cruiser.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and no fuss of just petrol and the last of the V eight as I sat in mat Fax, But yeah, I love it, absolutely loved the car.
Speaker 2: And the process of doing a deal was that, I mean, because not everybody does a new car on a regular basis, like maybe Paula deals with it all the time.
Speaker 1: Was it a simple process? Was there a deal? Do you go through that angst around that?
Speaker 4: There was a bit of handling involved in what have you? But at the end of the day, I knew what I wanted and they come to the party and I was happy. They were happy, and the salesman caught me once some up to see how my car is going, and I love that. It's great, absolutely fantastic. I couldn't speak highly.
Speaker 1: Of them, which, yeah, which dealer can I say it, of course you can.
Speaker 4: James Waverly Nissen here was just magnificent.
Speaker 1: Well sales team will be around to see them this morning. Good on your job, Thank you. There's a great round there.
Speaker 2: And I guess if you have that experience, because as you well know, Paula, sometimes people come back and say that there was the worst dealer. It was the worst possible experience at buying a car.
Speaker 3: Oh that's that's the kind of word to open up. It's so hard to cover that off in one sentence.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this.
Speaker 2: Then, in this current climate, discounts still a thing.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, And I'm so glad you asked that, Tome, because I remember the days where you would walk into a well. It didn't matter where my customers. When I had a you know, I was full time with a brokerage business, so I was helping people buy cars every single day, and it was it was expected that there would be ten fifteen percent off cars for my clients. It didn't matter if I was buying fifty a month. That was just whether I was buying one or fifty. It was just an expectation. However, now, even as a broker, it does not exist. The percentages don't exist. There's you know, the tens of thousands of thousands, They just don't exist. And I think consumers are still in the mindset that they do and they are. Unfortunately, we are not being educated through the government through tariffs, through any form of trade agreements that have changed that have changed the unfortunately the taxes and the duties which in turn change the ability for a dealer to be able to discount a car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the luxury cartext We'll talk about that another time. Just very cool with the with the the idea of just walking into a dealer. Is there a waiting based on current delivery and sales because I think they're just hovering around last year's numbers as when I saw them last Is there a waiting list?
Speaker 3: Yeah? There especially is. I mean obviously that it's going to be dependent on models and also manufacturing brands, but there is. And I think everyone knows that we don't make cars in Australia anymore and most of the cars come from overseas, and overseas their timetable works different outs. For example, Japan's end a financial year is in March, you know, and they close for a couple of months, so you know, Toyota have struggled, Mazers struggled for the last couple of months with stock because they're on holidays, so it's there is still going to be a waiting game. I'd say the consumers just give yourself at least three to six months.
Speaker 1: Three to six to go through that process. Well, if you.
Speaker 3: Want to get exactly what you want, if you want precise color, precise interior, if you want if you're, if you if you don't just want to walk into a dealership and get the option of I don't know, say you want black and they, oh, we've got silver.
Speaker 1: Lea except to say thank you very very much. It is fantastic. A little bit of information goes a long way.
Speaker 2: Paula known as Misorder Paula Misorder cats we love it twenty five past