Speaker 1: Whoa across Australia. This is Weekends with Luke Grant. But you gotta keep your head up.
Speaker 2: You calects your hand up. You gotta keep your head up and you collects your hand up. I know it's hard, No, it's hard to remember sometimes, but you gotta keep your head up.
Speaker 1: Thank you, colects your hand up.
Speaker 2: Hey, good morning, welcome to Weekends with Luke Grant. Great to be with you on two G Bean Sydney, four BC in Brisbane and listeners on the app joining us all around Australia. It's June seventh, Saturday morning in the greatest country on Earth. Hey. Sorry, Hey, your clothes dryer is having a birthday today. The clothes dryer. It was patented by George T. Sampson on this day in eighteen ninety two. Eh, what do you get a clothes dry for its birthday? Well, whatever you want, but make sure it's a sie's bigger, to anticipate shrinkage, and just to make it feel a lit more, a little bit more at home. Just ensure there's just a touch of lint on it. It makes that whole experience that little bit more familiar. As I say, happy birthday, clothes drives everywhere long weekend in New South Wales, the Act, the territory, Northern One, South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria. But not I repeat, not in Queensland. So for many listeners it's a case of how good. But in the Sunshine State I can say Queensland Day was observed yesterday, so it's not all bad. Queensland Days a celebration of who Queenslanders are and what they've come from, a data honor everything that made Queensland and makes Queensland great. The sixth of June it marks Independence Day in Queensland, the anniversary of Queensland's official separation from New South Wales in eighteen fifty nine. So if you go back far enough, every Queenslander might just have might just have what we'd like to call here in New South Wales roots, and we thought everywhere was in Queensland. Perhaps once everything was in New South Wales. AnyWho, enough of that? Weatherwise today in Sydney, mostly sunny tops of nineteen in the city, nineteen at Penrith eighteen paramatter bondyron along the coast nineteen Tomorrow partner cloudy with a chance of a shower just sixteen Brisbane today and a big day of racing at Eagle Farm. Good luck to everyone with an interest after last week's wash out cloud clearing. They to me top temps in the city twenty five, airport, twenty four ipswitched twenty five, the Sunny Coast twenty four Gold Coast twenty four tomorrow and Brisbane sunny and twenty three degrees. Sounds good right now. The latest on the American Bros to Foes omni shambles. I wanted to use the word starting with cluster, but I was expect you way too much. The New York Times reports that President Trump is blaming Elon Musk's behavior on drug use, as the acrimonious blow up of their partnership left both men, who lobbed online insults and threats at each other on Thursday in the US, with a lot at risk.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Trump's been telling associates over the last day that mister Musk's crazy behavior is linked to his drugs. That's according to two people who've spoken to The New York Times who prefer anonymity. Mister Trump's also considering selling his Tesla. Oh wow, someone very clever. Paul says Luke, wouldn't you give you clothes to write? This is on the text A box of linked chocolates. Ah, poor text of the day. Have we got a prize? No we don't. What about some of those two GB sunglasses? I've seen them around the place. Can we go and pinch a few from Luke Davis's office? Yeah, we're going to do that. Hey, Luke when you come to work. Yeah, we're going to be down a couple of sonnies because they're off to Paul. Well done, Paul Link chocolate. I love it. Where was I? Oh? Yeah. Trump's also considering selling his tesla. According to a White House official, I said to Clinton Maino yesterday, Trump supporters in America are so peed off with Elon that they're keeping their own tesla. Now, shouldn't say that, administration officials said. Mister Trump showed little interest in engaging with Musk, even after the billionaire signaled he'd be opened to de escalating the fight. Late on Thursday, Musk backed off a threat to immediately decommission SpaceX's Dragon spacecraft, which transports NASA astronauts and suppliers to and from the International Space Station. A short time later, When Bill Ackman, the hedge fund billionaire, posted on social media that the two men quote should make peace for the benefit of our great country, mister Musk responded, you're not wrong now for Mask, a prolonged feud with Trump could be hugely expensive. His companies, including SpaceX, have benefited from billions of dollars in government contracts and were positioned to receive billions more. Trump threatened to end those contracts on Thursday. It's risky for Trump as well, Musk well. He donated around two hundred and seventy five million dollars to help elect Trump in twenty twenty four. It promised another one hundred million to groups controlled by the president's team before the midterms. Those funds have yet to be delivered. One imagines they won't be delivered, so look a long way off being sorted out. It needs to be sorted out for the betterment of our fellow humans in the United States of America. I think the best thing I've seen so far is this. Dmitri Medvedev, a former Russian president deputy chairman of the Kremlin Security Council, who on social media said the Russians are ready to facilitate the conclusion of a peace deal between Donald and Elon d and E from reasonable fee and to accept STARLINGK shares as payment. There you go, right now, the story I feared would get worse. To be serious here, like many of you did, I'm talking about here the alleged murder of Queensland teenager Phoebe Bishop. The Courier MAU says today human remains have been found during a search for Phoebe on the same day her two accused killer's face court for the first time. Police said the remains were found by specialist units about two thirty pm near the good Night Scrub National Park, an area previously searched. I'm told after a further investigations on Friday, the remains I'm told this morning are yet to be formally identified. We'll get an update on this in just a moment or two. Phoebe's housemaids, James Wood thirty four and Tanika Bromley thirty three, appeared before Bunderberg Magistrates Court yesterday charged with murdering the teen. The teen had been living with them. They've also been charged with two counts of interfering with a corpse. With police still searching to find the team. So look, let's get the very latest on this and joining me from nine News in Queensland is Hatteya Gripsky, who I think is in Bunderberg. Hataya, thank you so much for your time. This is such a distressing story for so many people, not the least which is the family of Phoebe. Can you give us the very latest?
Speaker 4: Yeah, good morning. Yeah, it's a really really tough time for everyone in this community, especially Phoebe's family. The sense in this community is just absolute heartbreak after this news, especially after such a long day yesterday where we did see Phoebe's housemates Tanika Bromley and James Wood charged with Phoebe's murder. They went through court yesterday they were reminded in custody until August. But yeah, just a really really awful feeling out here, especially with that development last night that those human remainers were discovered, as you said, yet to be formally identified, but police do have a strong feeling at this early stage that they are of seventeen year old Phoebe Bishop. So we're just waiting to see what they find out there. That area is still a crime scene today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, her mother Kylie has been obviously so distressed in the appearances she's made to please for help, obviously, so I assume she's now got to as best she can make the Well, it seems to me unbelievable, unbelievably difficult task of identification, if that's to be the case. Do we know if that is to be the case? On the next day or two of the forensic people still working what's the latest, say Yeah.
Speaker 4: The forensic Peak forensic officers are still out there at good Night Scrub National Park. They're just working through all of that evidence. We went out there last night. They were just setting up their policeman and all of their equipment that they need to sort out what's going on out there. I would assume that Kylie would be the one to go out there informally identify if that is a phoebe, But we also don't know what state these remains are in, and given how long she's been out there for, as well as heartbreaking as that is, she has spoken on social media. She shared the news with her followers on social media, saying that I didn't think that my heart could break any more than it did when you went missing or when the charges were laid. But this is ripping me apart, as it absolutely would. So, yeah, very very heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: In the community here, we've been watching from afar, not you obviously, we're given you are and look, I don't know if there was a rumor or discussion about these alleged killers. Is perhaps I should ask it this way. Is there a surprise amongst the community the way this has ended up today or was it simply a case that people just accepted that you went missing. What's your read on the mood of the locals.
Speaker 4: I don't think that there is surprise. I think a lot of people had speculated that this would be the case that her housemates would be charged with her disappearance. When we were standing out here doing our live crosses, people are seeing us in the community reporting on this. We have people drive by shouting out justice to Phoebe. That's the sort of feeling that's here at the moment. They are pretty angry and disgusted about what's happened and given you know how horrific that is to know that you know, these people have allegedly murdered you know, the woman that was living with them, is just terrific.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, Hataya Grivsky from nine News in Queensland. Thanks so much for your time and we'll see your reports on nine News tonight. Thank you all right, appreciate that very much. Indeed, now again, do you I've taken you some places this morning, somewhere completely different because today marks the start of the new South Wales snow season. But is there snow? I think they're predicting quite some in the next period of time, but let's get to the services director of Perisher Resort, Andrew King. Andrew, good mate. I saw some snow on the live feed earlier, but I'm told there's plenty more in coming days. I guess we should say welcome to the snow season. What's it look like down there?
Speaker 5: Yeah, good morning from snow and Perisher. Yeah, we've had a bit of snow over night, about six centimotors, but our snowmakers have done a terrific job overnight as well. We've had a great week of snow making as well. We fired up our first lifts at eight thirty this morning, so I'm looking out on a very happy group of people that are having their first scheep of season twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Outstanding, am I right? I'm sure I saw a forecast saying that there is quite a bit of snow expected.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly right. We're hoping, but looking at the forecast, the snow is supposed to get heavier today and for the rest of the weekend, so by Monday we're hoping to see maybe forty fifty centimeters, maybe even more. So great to see, great timing, and we're looking forward to more opening of terrain and lifts over the coming weeks.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed. Now, of course we've got to make the point again. This is the day one of the season, so it gets a whole lot better. Is there a peak weekend in your mind, Andrew where people should book and head to the snow because it's always good point And if you want to save a dollar, because we've got hello cost of living crisis, what's the best time to head down to Perisha.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, we've had a challenging couple of seasons so this time last year we certainly we only had minor lists open for the last two years, but June's looking strong. Generally, the ubust is our peak, especially on weekends, and generally we're guaranteed to have.
Speaker 7: A lot more snow cover and a lot more.
Speaker 5: Terrain open, so we're always ready for the July school holidays and then September there's generally a lot more you know, lower cost alternatives for accommodation, for lift tickets and so forth. The weather it's a bit, you know, a bit a bit warmer and things like that, so you know, we've got four months for people to choose from. So anytimes a good time to be in the snow from my perspective, yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree. Andrew, have a great day, mate, Thanks he loo for jumping on board. Awesome, Thanks, thank you, Andrew King, Perisher Resorts Services Director, forty centimeters. I saw that forecast over the next day or two. If you're a snow bunny or whatever the other gender's equivalent is, get down there and have some fun. Right on the show today, Tennis Shanahan from the AIS will join me shortly for the latest in federal politics, No doubt, will discuss Labour's planned at tax, unrealized gains and the super of people who've had to go and got to go now. The latest in the Ods today is that the former Reserve Bank board members Donald mcgecky and Roger Corbett major Liberal Party donors have implored the Coalition to state the negotiating table with Labor on the super tax proposal, declaring a deal would be a lesser evil than allowing the introduction of an unrealized gains tax. Now. I know there are plenty saying, oh, the Liberals have to stand for something and they shouldn't be compromising here. But the alternative is a deal with the Greens. What do you think might be better? So I'm with these former Reserve Bank board members and think stay at the table and talk about it. It's all right to beat your chest and say I can even you know a lot of people voted for you. You don't like it fair enough. But I think the idea to just walk away and say Jim's nasty is you know, I'm probably going to guarantee you even longer in opposition. Please. Now, Jim Chalmers has slammed the door on the cooperation with the Coalition, but earlier Albo said, well, you know, maybe we should talk. I don't know. I know it's poorted out that the liberal Tim Wilson, who won that extremely tight race and the seat of Goldstein in Melbourne, he did campaign against unrealized capital gains, saying once people understood it was a tax on money people didn't have. It became a powerful argument. Denis Shatahan on that and plenty more. Coming up shortly after ten this morning, long range weather forecaster Hayden Walker. Each season change we speak to Hayden. I know lots of you love him because we're inundated, all right. We're regularly asked to get him back on. He hails from a long line of weather forecasters who've been in the business since the late eighteen hundreds. He uses a different method of forecasting. He monitors solar flares, he analyzes historical data and observes planetaried relationships and orbital patterns. I can't wait to hear his thoughts on the Aussie winter. Economists for Macro Business and Weekends regular lead Van Onslin here after eleven today you'll tell us about the policy whiplash we should be feeling after a couple of weeks of the newly returned government and an unsurprising choice of economic clown of the week. Ask a trade with Simon Stephenson at ten thirty. We'll talk about people using the wrong kind of fillers when working around the home. Amongst other things, and we'll take a diy call. Craig Bennett in Starstruck looks at the life of the outstanding Tom Jones to celebrate the birthday today. So many songs to remember, even outrageously wonderful tunes like this, sacks Bom.
Speaker 8: Sacks Bomb, You're my sacks bomb.
Speaker 2: You can give it to me when on you you come along, sacks Bomb, sack.
Speaker 9: Bo, You're my sack bomb.
Speaker 3: You can turn me on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just hoping there's a really timid, innocent meaning behind all of that. But anyway, Yeah, the great Tom Jones, I love him. Alice Stoles from Domain with a deep dive into the real estate markets of Brisbane and Sydney. Of course, our quiz, your calls, texts, emails or the latest break can use all infra matthion you need to help you get around with a minimum of fuss. Why do I just occasionally defer to the French because my parents spent a lot of money sending me to a private school during which I learnt French for six years, and I cannot see that money go to waste. It's Saturday, June seventh, fourteen degrees in Sydney seventeen. In Brisbane, this is weekends with Luke Grant on two GB and four BC and Dennis Lee as he on the traffic for US today and it's twenty nine after nine o'clock.
Speaker 1: The Labor Party now the Central Politics with Dennis Shanahan.
Speaker 2: Each weekend. I'm honored, delighted to talk to Dennis Shanahan, national editor of the Australian newspaper, who I'm delighted to say is on the line. Dennis, maybe unkindly it was suggested a week or two back to maybe even longer than that, that many can Beerans when they get given the chance of a long weekend head to New South Wales, particularly the South coast. I know there are times where you end up on the South coast of New South Wales, but I'm almost intrigued to know how things are in Canberra this morning. So tell me where you are and tell me what it's like.
Speaker 10: My friend, Well, I am in Canberra. I do go to the coast, yes, to the Canberra Beach, yes. And it is winter right.
Speaker 9: I'm looking out.
Speaker 10: The wind is blowing, there is rain and the last few leaves are falling, So you know, I'm a great advocate of Canberra. I love Camebra, but I have to admit when it's twinter.
Speaker 2: Yes. Indeed, now both sides of politics seem divided over this proposal to include text on unrealized capital gains for some super innovation funds, with Jim Chalmers wanting to forge your head with what's becoming an increasingly difficult political position. Now through the week, mate, I saw the Prime Minister saying, oh, you know, this has been out in about for two years. But the problem for the Prime Minister is you can get it across the line. Now it's likely to be across the line somehow, So it is a real thing. So excuse our interest in it. But taxing people on gains that haven't realized, and I don't care what the government says in defense of this. Once they do it in one asset class, who's to say. And the Greens, you know they're going to have to support the government to get this through and they want negative gearing looked at. Who's to say that the Greens won't say, right out, let's do this on another asset class like your second or third rental property. This has got absolute hair or over it. Doesn't it.
Speaker 6: It does.
Speaker 10: It's a big brown dog and the things.
Speaker 11: What we've got here is.
Speaker 10: Something that, as the Prime Minister has said, has been around for two years. This was around long before the election. The government got a huge mandate or a huge majority in any case at the election. You know they control the Upper House with no problem at all. They can argue, as Jim Charms is arguing, we've had it out there all the time on these unrealized tax on superannuation also not indexed by the way, and only on self managed funds with totals of more than three million. But that, as you're saying, the principle involved here of taxing something on unrealized gains, that is, you pay tax on paper games. So someone says, oh, your property is now worth four million more, you've got to pay tax on four million although you haven't got it. You have to end up sending selling a property to get the money to pay the tax on the earnings you haven't earned. Really is a nonsense. But what we're seeing politically here, I think is a lot of confusion and a lack of people to grasp reality. Now when the Prime Minister said this week I'm prepared to deal with the Coalition on a range of issues, including superannuation. He meant it because he knows that the reason that this superannuation tax in any form hasn't gone through in the past two years is because the government didn't control the Senate. And guess what, they still don't control the Senate, so this still has to be negotiated. People who are saying, oh, look, you know they've got this huge majority, just stand aside.
Speaker 11: Let them know.
Speaker 6: It doesn't work like that.
Speaker 10: The Senate is still there as a break on the House of Representatives and Anthony Albanezy knows this.
Speaker 9: He also is in his.
Speaker 10: Second term starting to say, well, you know, we're going to have to get some things through here, and he is signaled to the Coalition, I'm prepared to work with you, and he actually said rather than the Grooms, he doesn't want to do with the Greens. Now, what we then had was Jim Chalmers coming out the next day say oh, no, I don't think the coalition's faired income because Ted O'Brien, the Shadow Treasurer, had said he was prepared to negotiate on this. So then the treasure said no, not faired income. Then a whole lot of people in the coalition came out and said no, we're not going to cop this either. So we've got Jim Charmers and a whole lot of people on the coalition side saying no, no deal. And then the Coalition came down set no. Our position is against unrealized capital games tax and against and for indexation. So the positions are clear. What we don't have is somebody saying, well, hold on just a minute. If this has to pass and there is a mandate to pass it, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 11: It is better.
Speaker 10: And this is what former governors of the Reserve Bank, former tax secretaries of the Treasures Department, former in fact still huge liberal donors, and former liberal politicians all saying to the coalition passed in a better form. They're literally saying the lesser of two evils, wake up, smell the coffee. The government has a huge majority in the House. They can deal purely with the Greens in the Senate and get things through. This is an issue where the Coalition needs to stand up and say we will try and regain some credibility and bargain for the best result on superannuation and increase tax there is a mandate for increased tax on some superannuation, but you can do it better. This is the same thing that happened with the super profits tax on mining. The government pushed it through and by the way, Jim Chalmers was working.
Speaker 2: For Wayne WAYNEFN that's right.
Speaker 3: They tried to push it through.
Speaker 10: It was a complete disaster. It was a badly formed because it hadn't involved the industry, and then in the end they had to just dump it completely and change it completely. You know how much it gets about ten thousand dollars a year. It was meant to get ten billion dollars a year. So what we're looking at here, I think is a moment where Australian politicians need to grasp the reality. And this is particularly the Treasurer and some of those in the Coalition who don't seem to realize things have changed. Labor is in power for three years, the Greens have sole balance of power in the Senate, and the two major parties need to regain some credibility. Yes we need revenue, Yes there is a mandate to get it. It should be done in the best way.
Speaker 2: So the coalition could simply say we're going to try and get a better deal. We sometimes in life you've got to hold your nose and do something you don't like doing. We're going to hold our nose, nome We've got a slightly better deal. But I'll tell you what. In three years, these things Gonski and people go fair enough whereas had but this on again, off again. Oh no, we're not going to do a deal. They've got no they've got no cloud, they've got absolutely nothing. They've had their pants pulled down and they're acting like they're tough guys. Give me a break exactly.
Speaker 10: I mean, they have no embarrassment at all this.
Speaker 6: And the point here is that.
Speaker 10: Ten O'Brien has said we won't shift on taxing unrealized capital gains.
Speaker 8: That is a.
Speaker 3: Perfectly good principle.
Speaker 10: There are a lot of people in the Labor Party you don't believe in it. And as you pointed out, Luke, this is the sort of thing that will spread like cancer through the tax system. All of a sudden, people's properties will be involved. There'll be more general capital gains, tax on unrealized capital gains. This is what this will be the beginning of it. It will have a bad effect on superannuation not to mention farmers and businesses and small businesses and investors. Yes, the government says, only affecting a few people, but without indexation, and with this principle of unrealized capital gains, an estimated number of people affected at the moment would be eighty to one hundred thousand, maybe one hundred and fifty thousand, but it goes to hundreds of thousands over a few years because it's not index And let's face it, everyone thinks, oh, three million dollars, that's a big that's a lot of superannuation. Well, no, it won't be in teen years time.
Speaker 9: It'll be average.
Speaker 10: The cost of the average house at the moment.
Speaker 7: Yes, you're in Australia is a million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Ex excellent points, excellent pointy. No, No, that's that's where that's where he says. It's not where it starts where it's where it ends up. And that's the excellent point you've made. Now I'm going to have to take a break, Donnis, because I think you and I have a bit to talk about two words, Donald Trump after this eighteen to ten Dennis Shanahan with me, is he is every Saturday morning Dennis, we'll talk about Donald Trump and Albow in a moment, But I give me interested as I'm sure, well you might even well know this, but I'm sure my listeners would as well, that there's been some contribution into the Trump Musk fiasco by a lawyer, David Showen, a criminal defense lawyer who represented Epstein before he died in police custody in twenty nineteen. Now, of course, what has happened is Musk has gone on Twitter or x and he's made mention that in the Jeffrey Epstein files, as mentioned of Donald Trump. I think Musk referred to this as time to drop the really big bomb. He said, the real reason the Epstein files haven't been released is because I named Trump. And then we get today from this David Showen, I can authoritatively, unequivocally and definitively say that Epstein had had no information to hurt President Trump. I specifically asked him. So that's from the lawyer working with Epstein before he died. Anyway, that's part of this side show. I mean, good luck Albo dealing with that. If he was in the room and there's cameras, who knows what Donald Trump will throw at the feet of our Prime minister. But tariffs will be back at top of the agenda with next week's meeting in Canada, mate with steel and beef topping that list.
Speaker 10: They certainly will be. And look, that is a I have been in a press conference in the White House with an Australian Prime Minister, Scott Morrison. We went in was just meant to be a quick photo shoot and Donald Trump talked for half an hour. This is the danger for leaders now appearing with the President of the United States. Ask President Zelenski, it doesn't matter who's there. He will say anything. He could get things wrong. He says things wrong. And this is an exact point on the tariffs.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 10: Originally, when the tariff first came up, Donald Trump specifically mentioned Australian beef producers and said Australia was not allowing as US beef into Australia because of tariffs, and that they were responding. Now that wasn't true. We have allowed the import of American beef if they can prove the biosecurity standards that they demand of Australian beef, and that is that you can after mad cow disease and a range of other diseases, that you can prove that your cattle that you are exporting, whether you killed or alive, have been where you can actually say the farm they've come from. Now, in the US they can't do that. Even if it's butchered, it may have come from Mexico, it may have come from Canada, and there is still a danger of mad cow disease in both Mexico and Canada. And so if we are going to accept US beef, then they have to demonstrate that it's a biosecurity issue and that it's safe and that comes from the US, not from Mexico or Canada. If they can't guarantee that, we won't let that in.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 10: This became an issue this week as tariffs raised again and Donald Trump put up steel tariffs again, and at first there was a big outcry from farmers. Anthony Albinezu responded quickly and said, look, we are not going to give in on biosecurity. We're not going to give on the beef. That is not a tariff issue. We're not giving in on it. And so he realized the danger there and worked very quickly. However, next week, in the so called sidelines of the G seven meeting, the Prime Minister is due to meet Donald Trump and have a discussion. Tariffs will be part of that, a big part of that, and Australia has been trying for some time now since the introduction of the first tariff, which included tariff's on penguins in Macquarie Island. We're trying to get a better deal on Australian steel and generally for Australia, but we're using minerals, critical minerals as a bargaining chip that we're saying we won't give way on our pharmaceutical schemes, we won't give way that's going to increase the cost of medicines on our PBS, and we won't give way on beef. So there's two areas there where the Prime Minister's already said we're not shifting. And there are a whole range of other areas where the US, sorry UK and the US have come to agreements. Canada has had an agreement. So there are a few countries and this week the US sent out a letter saying come to us with your best deal. The deadlines now, so next week we will see exactly what the Prime Minister can get out of Donald Trump, if anything, using our store of mineral of critical minerals. Now, Interestingly, Donald Trump said during the week that critical minerals were already a key issue in Ukraine because the Ukraine has critical minerals, and that was also part of his discussion with Jijiping of China. So critical minerals are the key that we can use to get some room. But we shouldn't give way on beef, and which is a biosecurity issue.
Speaker 13: Not a terrifistu.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course we've made mining the enemy so well, of a sudden, we've got a backflip again this time around critical It's it's madness I think made I actually think in the office or elsewhere that the Trump wild card is to say to Albo, hey, listen, mate, any chance he could pull your weight in defense, any chance he could do something, because I'm not sending our young men and women and you'll beck and cry, You've got to do your own heavy lifting. I think we're very vulnerable, there are we?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 3: We are?
Speaker 10: Now this is a big question. This is a second big question for Anthony alban Asi. Now the US at the Singapore Dialogue actually asked Richard Mayle Miles face to face for an increase in defense spending a three point five percent of GDP. Now, the Prime Minister and Richard Miles as Defense Minister, said where we are up for this conversation. He didn't confirm the three point five percent figure that came out of the US. But what we've actually got is clearly the US saying to us, and they've been saying to us all along and all their other allies, particularly in Europe, that we have to pull our own weight. We've had the US warning that there's possibility of a Chinese mainland China invasion of Taiwan being imminent and that this could occur before twenty twenty seven, and so there is huge pressure in the region on this. The Prime Minister has been to Indonesia and talked about defence Singapore likewise, Now I think what we have to do, and I think this is what the Prime Minister could be doing. He could be waiting till he sees Donald Trump. And then because Donald Trump's very keen about talking about not having any aces or any cards or any Trumps, then the Prime Minister can say, well, as a matter of fact, we're looking at doing this ourselves and not being seen to be doing at the behest of Donald Trump, because he's very keen not to be seen to be doing that. But he's keeping his powder dry. People who say, oh, he hasn't you know is rejected. No, he hasn't rejected the calls. He has kept his powder dry, and when the moment comes, he can then see whether it'll be enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, mate, have a great weekend. Love that a chat. Stay well, See you, Luke, see Dennis Shanahan back next week. It's nine to ten, almost five to ten. From the text line zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three, Molena says, re super politicians also need to pay the super tax. Add this to the fight. Yeah, that defined super scheme is a yeah, sticks out like a sore thumb around this debate, doesn't it. Malena. I agree, Ron says Luke. I'm an ideas. Man If Albanesi government's tax on unrealized capital gains in super funds is enacted paid with unrealized income. Hey, I like that. There's my unrealized gain. Here's my unrealized income payment. Nice Garrett says. When Don chiplet capital gains tax pass, he said it would only raise a million a year. In the first year it raised nearly six hundred million. But where politicians and the thin end of the wedge, Wayne says the average super balance from men forty five to forty nine is two hundred and thirty three grand. I think it'll be a while before the vast majority of OLTI workers have to worry about the proposed super changes. But Wayne, I know you've got faith in government, but I think it starts with super. It goes to investment properties and all other investment classes, particularly when you've got a government that can't help itself but to spend and then tax its way out of the trouble it itself creates. Thanks for getting in touch, all right? One hour down, three more to go after the news Mark Bosnich on the sacking of Ange Posta Cogloo from Tottenham Hospital. Overnight, Hayden Walker, long range weather forecaster, and Simon Stephenson will be here asked a TRADEE can give Simon a call with anyy questions on one three one eight seven three. It's Saturday morning. It's the seventh day of June Long weekend in New South Wales and the Act but not so much in Queensland, so we'll just have to deal with all of that after the news, which is next.
Speaker 1: Across Australia, it's back to weekends with look grat.
Speaker 2: Hello there, thank you for joining you. It's seeing Sydney on two TB, in Brisbane on four BC and around Australia on the app one three one eight seven three. The open line number the text is zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three and you can email me by going to the two GB or four BC website. There is a story in the Daily Telegraph in Sydney today and this is where I mean I support the premier. Chris means, oh no, Lukey supports a labor premier. Yeah, I do. I think he does a pretty good job. I think he's operating very much in his own because I think he's surrounded by at times inept ministers. But this is just I mean, this is just a no brainer. The Teley report today motors have been slugged more than one point nine million in fees that the government promised to cut. It comes after Transport Minister John Graham walk away from a pre election pledge to scrap quote unquote sneaky admin charges for drivers without ETags, and the Telegraph reveals the government's raised more than two million in admin fees on the Harbor Bridge and Tunnel in the past year, despite the Premier vowing from opposition to ditch the tolls on tolls. Well, I've just received a release from said Minister John Graham, and of course it's just all about not me. After twelve years of forming the governments of the former government's obsession with privatization, Sydney's been left with toll mania and we're trying to clean up the mess. And he says, we promise to make all toll road operators issue consolidated toll notices to stop gouging motorists. This election commitment will be fulfilled before the next election. What the hell are you doing sitting on your bloody hand saying, oh look at me, I'm a minister. This is why your government could be in trouble. The Premier is a standout. The rest of you are a joke. Premier, deal with these morons and it takes a front page in the Telegraph to get you on song? Does it really? Yeah, it's just an embarrassment, inept police minister. I could go on and on as for the environment, well, we'll just say that for another day.
Speaker 8: Good a, John, good mind, Look money, long story shot. Yes, three years ago we bought an apartment for two hundred and twenty four thousand dollars and the pension then was about six hundred y part tension from a wife and I now every year since then, they've been reassessing the value of this apartment and they have no value at four hundred and seventy five thousand, and they've cut my pension twice since then, so this tax is already here.
Speaker 2: Well, that's intriguing. So the value of your property, Gee, that doesn't sound like two twenty four going up to four hundred. I mean, I'm not doubting you, but you're seeing an unrealized gain coming into the assets test. I guess, so in a way it is there that's intriguing. John, just haven't chatted on my producers off there, so I can just get some further detail. I'd like to look into that and get a better understanding. Thank you so much. One three, one eight seven three. I can't believe this. Maybe I should Ossie ange Pasta. Conglo has been sacked as manager of Tottenham Hotspur despite winning the EUAFA Europa League titled just a couple of weeks back, remember that how good was that? The fact he gave the lily Whites their first silverware in seventeen years wasn't enough to stop the club from terminating Ange. He's not just loved he Whitely in Australia. He's captured the hearts and minds of people everywhere, including Robbie Williams, who rejigged the lyrics of his song Angels for Big Ange.
Speaker 14: Play the way we want you with big Edge past the corblue.
Speaker 15: Will all ride all wrong.
Speaker 6: It's Big Gange fall.
Speaker 2: Case everywhere we go.
Speaker 16: I'm loving Big Gange instead.
Speaker 2: Amazing Soccero's legend goalkeeper for many of the great Premier League clothes, including man You Chelsea. Mark bosnich Is on the line Boss before I ask you about Ange. When you appeared on Freddy in the eighth with Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns almost one of my favorite things to watch each week. I thought you were brilliant, mate. I guess we need to know people watch this stuff and I absolutely loved it. And anyway, enough of that and got punted. He just wanted a trophy. What's doing here?
Speaker 17: Yeah, well, good morning to you, Luke, and thank you for that, for that lovely compliment.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 6: What's going on here?
Speaker 17: Look, it's a surprise in one way, but in another way it's not. So like you just mentioned. They won their first major trophy in seventeen years, the second tier European competition in the Europa League. They won a couple of weeks ago in fine style against Manchester United, which allowed them to qualify for next year's top tier competition, the Champions League. Now there's been a lot of words, including from a lot of contacts I've had for quite some time, that it didn't matter whether or not he won it or not, which I found astounding at the time. But they unfortunate free and for all Austraine soccer supporters, you have to say they proved to be correct.
Speaker 6: Look what the guy.
Speaker 17: Explained to me, my contact explained to me when I sort of questioned him three weeks ago before the final, say, look, surely if you wins, he deserves the rights to take Topham into the you know, into his third season, and to take them into the Champions League next season. Was that basically that they lost twenty two games in the Premier League and they finished just one place above the relegation zone, and that that basically caught them thought that that wasn't good enough for them, which is I can understand that from one perspective, but from the other perspective as well, there have been some extenuating circumstances this season. There's not excuses.
Speaker 3: They have had a horrible injury toll.
Speaker 17: The other thing that must be said that soon as and had decided to focus on this competition to qualify for the Champions League. I wouldn't say they let the league go completely, but their eyes was off the ball. But the other thing that my friend explained to me was this, and he said this, and he put this so simply.
Speaker 6: We may never know.
Speaker 17: But something may have gone on behind closed doors between the chairman the boss, and that we may never know because if and when they pay him out, more than likely there'll be a non disclosure agreement. Now, like a lot of my friends or CEOs have said, if something has gone on one on one where it's been a bit inappropriate, let's let's put it that way. One of my old chairmen who's passed away now Deadly Doug Ellis, the third Deadly Doug Ellis. He was a chairman of mine at Aston Villa. He always used to tell me and some of the young boys. We used to listen to him intently and learn a lot that ninety nine percent of the time when the player has a fallout with the manager astro coach, the manager falls out. But he used to point to himself, he goes, but one hundred percent of the time if a manager falls out with me, the chairman, there's only going to be one winner, and that's the chairman. Unfortunately, that seems how it's panned out for Ange. But he can hold his head up very very high and hopefully he'll bounce back.
Speaker 3: Very very soon.
Speaker 2: Any idea where he might bounce back what he it have to be? I mean, everything said done, he still won this trophy, he'd be he'd be be did very well in Scotland. He'd be appealing, wouldn't he, Oh very much.
Speaker 17: So there's no doubt about that. I mean, I think another Premier League club will be taken. Clubs will be taking a close look at him, the very very top tier, like you you know, the real Madrids, the Barcelona, They might want to have a you know, like, you know, another look at him, just to see how thing's gone, because there have been instances this season where he hasn't done himself favors in press conferences and so forth. But the bottom line is he's produced in a very very difficult season, and obviously around Europe because you know, winning that trophy would have resonated with people all around Europe. And of course the style of football that he plays is a very appealing style for any manager. So I mean, he'll I'm sure he'll take his time unless he's got something else lined up. We don't know about that. I'm going to send him a texta this morning, just after I get the phone off of you, just just to say to him, you know, you won. At the end of the day, you won a trophy. But Thomas Sukel, who used to manage Chelsea, won the champions They get Chelsea and literally twelve months later was sacked as well. He put out it, and he's now England's manager. He put out a really good statement to say. It just goes to show that, you know, sometimes if your connection is not strong and the trust is not there with the people that are above you, at a club, winning trophies means nothing and unfortunately that seems to be a case. But I think, like I said, especially after that euphoria of winning that trophy, I actually think Topenham as a club have not done themselves any favors here whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fascinating two listeners text one from Shane Bob is an absolute legend. He's got the best love in Australia, even better than Jonathan Thurston. And this one made your love from Colin he says. Informed sources tell me he's off the lead to United.
Speaker 17: Well, the Leeds have been promoted from the Championship, which is division below the Premier League to the Premier League and their managers a chap called Daniel Fark. But the funny thing is if that occurred, I think there'll be a lot of Lead supporters and people around the world sort of saying, well, he's just got you promoted and now you've let him go. The only thing I will say for this in terms of what he's saying, the last two seasons straight, the three teams that have been promoted from the Championship have gone straight back down. So there are clubs now looking thinking do we need to do something a little bit different to make sure that we stay in the Premier League. So you never know. In our sort, I mean they say, are week's a long time in politics, in our sport, in football a days a very long time.
Speaker 2: Love your work, Boz, good to talk you mate, Thanks so much, care Lucie, thank you too, all the best youre Mark Bosnich And of course he can see I should say you can see Boza on Stan part of nine of which we're part obviously. Yeah, one, three, one, eight seven three in a moment or two. Hayden Walker long range weather forecaster. Yeah, it's twenty one after ten o'clock. Just on the text line morning. Luke Gange Pasta Cooglu is an AFL fan. He actually supports the Blues. He'll be soon back in Melbourne coaching Carlton. Thank you, Tony. Listening in Sydney, I heard that ant Posta Coglu is about to coach Queensland in Origin if things don't turn around quickly. And I'm also told that ant Posta Coglu could well be appointed to run Doze with Donald Trump after the fallout with you see, everyone's got sources and John you've obviously done this text via Siri and I'll read it to you exactly as it comes through. Buzza is a champion surces full stop. Tell me he's off to Athens full stop. Send yes, Ah, that's fantastic, fantastic, Thanks so much for all the notes. At the start of every new season, we'd love to have a chat to the long range weather forecaster, Hayden Walker. Plenty of you enjoy what we have to what we hear from Hayden and encourage us to keep talking. Well, you don't have to encourage us. We'll continue to talk to. Hayden is a very good man and we like what he does with weather. He doesn't mince about he says it like it is, and his methods of predicting are very much different to what we're normally served up with, often wrong, not his what we're served up with. He monitors the sun solar flares. Historical data goes back well over one hundred years, and for the most part we've found his predictions to be more reliable as to many of his clients. Now the bomb that's the Bureau are saying day and night temperatures will be warmer than average across Australia. This winter and rain four will be within the typical winter range. Let's see what Hayden has to say about that. Hayden Walker of Hayden Walker's Weather is on.
Speaker 6: The line of you will yesler than yourself.
Speaker 2: Very very mate. Talk to you again and thank you once again for your time. So I was looking at the bureaus seasonal forecast, and again, you know, they say things will be slightly warmer, and there might be a little bit more rain here, but generally within the typical winter range. Does that match with what you're thinking?
Speaker 9: Not completely. No, the temperatures will be around the average, with a sort of a plus or minus or one or two degrees, but certainly sadden. You'll get down into the low digits, and when you go out further west, it'll be getting into the negative down to negative three and down on the southern tableland and so forth down to negative six and lower. But the fact of the matter is that we want to be cautious about the chill factor from the wind. The temperatures might be reasonable, so to speak, but the chill factor from the wind, that's the one that makes it very cold. And that's with these frontal systems coming through New south Wales, So that will be the chilling effect the temperatures, I believe, well, you know, we can probably handle those and that respect, we'll get down to the lower digits for the coast. But at the same time, as you go to the west in the Camra and the southern table ends and so forth, you'll start getting down to the minuses. But the crux of the matter will be that chill factor from the southwest at least, coming probably from the snow and so forth, and that will have an effect on the coolness and the coldness right temperatures.
Speaker 2: A lot of us still, mate, and you know this, we've got the words of Tim Flannery rattling around our heads. It will never rain enough to fill a dam. And of course it's some time on, but we see the dams up around ninety percent, no doubt there'll be a point where they're a lot lower than that. But the idea that was never going to rain again to that extent is purely fiction. There's no other word fraud. It's just fictional. Yet this man continues to belauded in the right circles. I'm sure he's done some very good work. But just on that prediction, he's failed alive, I would say my listeners would agree. I'm sure miserably. What do you say about rain over winter?
Speaker 9: Well, the rainfall over winter, Well, there's certainly more for winter. There's certainly more for winter, and especially to the eastern half of the state, there's some reasonably good to good falls, especially to the coast during June, and then when we get into July there will be further rain and go further further out west. And then also in August, we need to be careful. Probably on the cusp of end of July, beginning of August, there's rainfall into the central southern interior and that'll extend onto the coast and there may be some further flooding. I know that word flooding. We've had enough of it. But at the same time, it looks like it's moving to the south, and i'd say it along that south coast may be a problem in relation to some good to heavy falls. So yeah, look, winter rain, there is winter rainfall. There. There's some good, some good falls in parts, especially to the eastern half, ranging from you know, a couple of inches through into the heavier falls disgusted with that August period. So look, there is rainfall ahead and there will be above average for some areas.
Speaker 2: What about those grad effected areas, Mike, do you see them getting some relief on the outskirts.
Speaker 9: Yes, there is some relief, but way further out west there may be difficult still. But you know in July probably the month that it would be a better month in relation to rainfall for the outer areas, and also partner and also in August. But yes, so there's some some areas there right on the way out that's going to be difficult for them.
Speaker 2: We've seen some pretty heavy rain as you well know parts of New South Wales along the coast, and we shouldn't forget in parts of Queensland as well. Did you did you foresee that when you were looking at the previous season.
Speaker 9: Yes, I did, Yes, Yes, I said there'd be heavy falls along the coastline of New South Wales from the beginning of the year right through. There'll be situations where there'll be there'll be heavy rain on the coast.
Speaker 2: So yes, Nina, Nina, because I've actaid that before and you have a firm view here, please share it.
Speaker 9: Yes, it's based on sunspot activity in solar flare so I'll live off the sun, so that if there's a change in the extreme conditions from the Sun, it'll change our weather conditions. So the sun's going through our solar maximum, which means the sun becomes alive, and therefore it has a bearing on our weather and therefore we get extreme weather conditions in relation to floods and extreme temperatures and so forth, heavy rain. So when the sun goes back into a dormant stage, it quietens down, we get the drought conditions. So the sun currently is at a peak condition at our solo maximum, and this is why we're receiving so much rain for them, so much extremes.
Speaker 2: When does it what period of time is it a pattern where it becomes dormant. How long a way is that?
Speaker 9: Well, it runs an eleven year cycle, and therefore we're right at the peak now. So over the next two years three years will start to slow down, but certainly we have further rainfall at the end of the year, and then next year there's further rainfall, but not every month, it'll be particular months, so it'll start to wane. It'll start to head down into its solar minimum, and then we'll get those drought conditions. So at the moment we're at the peak, and there's further there's some further heavy rains next year, so at the beginning, so it'll still linger, but it'll start to weanhe in the next say three or four years. But at that stage there are circumstances where it can sort of live, not for a short period, and then as it goes down goes down, there's a couple of glimpses where it'll it'll live. But at the moment, last year and this year is the peak.
Speaker 2: I know some questions I ask you each time we chat, but I'm conscious that we have new listeners hearing perhaps you for the first or only the second time. Now. The Bureau, I think their records go back to the nineteen twenties, go back a lot longer than that. Your records are your records, and the viaus some would say homoginized. Just talk to me about the records you rely on.
Speaker 9: Well, the records I have right back to when Captain Cook first arrive and therefore the late seventeen hundreds, and it also extends into the eighteen hundred, so I have records that go right back to that situation. Whereby you know, we had certain floods, the hawks, buros, thirty five fifty feet, et cetera, et cetera. So we have all those records or throughout Australia, and I'm able to go back onto those records and look at those records and forecast the future based on records based on the past, and I tie that in with what's happening on the Sun's surface. So, say twelve months ago, if someone phoned me instead of got near the forecast or what's happening in twenty twenty five, I'd go back to certain records, certain cycles, and I'll have a look. Then I project it forward to twenty twenty five, and that's how I come up with my forecast in that respect. So that's why I've been able to predict a heavy rain and so forth. I'm monark in the sun every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gotcha. One of my listeners wants me to ask you when you think winter begins. Of course we go by the first of June, but what do you count as the official beginning of winter?
Speaker 9: Look at the beginning of winter. It starts to shape at the end of May. I believe in relation to how the cycles and how the highs and loads are situated. So I believe that, you know, at the end of May we're starting to look at how it's shaping, and then sometimes it's a late start for winter, so therefore it may extend into a September period. And that's what I'm looking at for the snow season. I think we discussed that last time. I said there'd be a good snow season, there'd be some heavy falls. It'll be a late one particularly, it'll probably start to really ramp ramp up at the end of the June beginning of July, and it'll extend through into September, so there'll be some pretty good falls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excellent, all right mate. If people want to know more about your excellent work, we send them to your website.
Speaker 9: Which is Hayden Walker's weather Okay dot com. You so, yes, you've build information there and that anyone can bring me any time and so forth email me at the same time.
Speaker 2: Brilliant Thank you every time. I'd always good to talk to you.
Speaker 6: Great, Thanks Luke, thank you, yeah.
Speaker 2: You too, Hayden Walker. Now it's coming up to twenty eight minutes to eleven o'clock on weekends, just quickly two tourists who have been missing in Tasmania since Wednesday have been found dead. Police have confirmed Leandra Kang and taker Hero Toya were supposed to live Lonceston, Tasmania, on a flight to Brisbane on June four, but they never boarded the plane or returned their rental car. The pair from Brisbane had been on holiday in the Saint Helen's and Salamanda area. They were last seen leaving their accommodation in North Hobar June three. Last night, they were found dead near a crashed vehicle in northeast Tasmania by police officers. Police Inspector Luke Manhood said police found the car in water at five point thirty. The pair were found near the car, he said. At this early stage, he said, it appears they were traveling over a bridge when the vehicle left the roadway and ended up in the water. How sad is that? Three? One eight seven three is the open line number? Someone asking is Hayden related to Indigo Jones? Yes he is Indigo Jones boy is Hayden's grandfather. And then there's Lenox Walker, Hayden's dad, And now Hayden picking up the family Batmore twenty three to eleven o'clock.
Speaker 1: Now on weekends, basket training thanks to not Be Kitchens since nineteen thirty nine and with Sydney's largest kitchen showrooms and free in home design.
Speaker 2: Service at that time, and a Saturday when Simon Stephenson joins me in the studio to answer all your home reno questions. There's no job that's either too big or too small. There's no question that's silly. Jump on the line one three one eight seven three. We want to help you. This is what particularly Simon wanting to help you one three one eight seven three for doing some stuff around the house and you're not sure on what to do next or where to go. We'll tell you where to go. Simon sitting next to me, how are you doing? Good? May yourself very well? Indeed, that's good. We're talking about fillers today. Yes, and I had a jip rock wall I had to repair and gosh, I'm hopeless at that. I am just hopeless. I put too much filler in. I'm frightened to stand it in case I strip it all out. I'm just hopeless. But does it come down to the right filler? Look? It does?
Speaker 14: I mean there's a lot of different fillers and making sure you use the correct one for your job. But you know, like you just said, I come across so many people doing it that put too much filler on. Yeah, so they're wasting product. They're also then have to send all that product back, so they're just taking way much too much time. They're going to cause too much dust. So if you are filling nail holes jip rock areas, two tight skims, you know, just put enough filler on that you need without going too much. We had six thousand nail holes.
Speaker 2: To fill this week. Thousand.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I calculated it by measuring one row and then it worked out. So we had a roughly roughly about six thousand nail holes to fill this week. You've got the you know, the the chippies there with their nail guns going going berserk. It's not like the days with the old hammer where they don't want to hammer too many in there, the guns going back back, back back back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, painter's nightmare. So escape skim.
Speaker 14: So we used a filler, and it was a gloss filler, so it's designed for small holes los filler yeah, so it sort of stops too much bleeding through the paint.
Speaker 2: Sort of things. It's something you mix up. No, no, it comes in a container.
Speaker 14: It's a poly filler product we used, and it's it's a great product. It's designed for water, you know, water outside, use it inside as well.
Speaker 2: Try as fast.
Speaker 14: But the thing is, I said to the guys, make sure you do a really tight skim. We use a flexible blade. Make sure you do a tight skim because there's going to be less sanding. Plastic blade, steel blade, just really flexible one. And I said, virtually fill the hole and then just wipe all excess off. It's going to save us a lot of work of sandy, even though we're using sanders to do the job. But you know, it's just going to it's just going to take a lot less time when it comes down to sort of fixing it. And I thought it'd be a really good time to just explain to people with that because i've you know, even the guy on the job. The carpenters were doing a bit of filling and he said to the carpenters, may leave that to the pain as we stop right now because where they did fill was looking pretty ugly.
Speaker 2: So I end up with not quite well, a mound that's clearly visible off the wall, and I sand it and sand it and to get smooth, and then I paint it and it's still it's still prominent. The idea is to not have that prominence and meant to look like the wall.
Speaker 14: You're better off putting multiple coats of filler on right, right, and thinner coats. You think about that too. It's going to dry faster being a thinner coats and pill. It's not going to shrink. Sometimes if you put too much fill on, they can then when they when they're drying, they'll shrink and they'll actually crack. So, yeah, you're better off multiple coats, drying faster and less sanding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, much better job. Just don't want to let Mitch know we're not talking about the filler that your well as you refer to her, your ex wife might have used. This is feeling.
Speaker 14: This is for timber and for jip rock, not for facial products.
Speaker 2: How dare you turn this show into that, Steve? How can we help you?
Speaker 18: Well?
Speaker 12: Good morning, So i'monkin, Good morning, look a wonderful segment you've got here, and thank if it's take.
Speaker 6: My call, thank you, I've got so I.
Speaker 12: Have a problem. I've got a pool that was used in Pebble Crute and it's got a beach front entryway to it, and on the on the beach, the beach front part under Pebble Crute was there's no chance in the world you could slip over. There wouldn't matter how much graham or whatever was there. I've recoded it in the Duels for pools glass breeding product.
Speaker 6: And it is absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 12: But it doesn't matter how clean I make the beachfront.
Speaker 6: Entryway, it is still slippery.
Speaker 12: As you know what. So and I contacted an R.
Speaker 6: Glass about this.
Speaker 12: I mean, I've been of I listened to this program every week and before you before you're breaking, after your return, and a nor Glass has meant the greatest thing on earth.
Speaker 8: But they replied to.
Speaker 12: Me to the extent of they didn't they couldn't provide me with an.
Speaker 6: Answer as to what to do it.
Speaker 12: So I simply dump the water, you know, cleaning the boot front entryway, and you know it's a bit something, a bit of grit on it, so when you're getting out of the pool, you don't go bum up. And that's what I'm that's the problem, because someone could actually really hurt themselves or you know, if someone's there at my place on their own, you know, they could bang their head and go.
Speaker 6: They could be the end of them. I know.
Speaker 14: I look, I know all about banging heads because I did it this week on the concrete. So not real good mate, to be honest with you, I think that is this area you're talking about, is it going to be underwater where you're slipping?
Speaker 12: It's always underwater? Okay, Okay, so it's only a gradual slope, right, but the gradual slope is it can get slippery yep, and like and when I walk up trab walk up there and you just walk out standing up?
Speaker 14: You know again, So are you saying the pebble crete?
Speaker 12: See I've now got the duels for pool. Okay, so the glass booted product. I need to put something on top of that product so you've got a bit of purchase when you're trying to get out.
Speaker 14: All right, So what I have done I have painted a few swimming pools previously, and when i've painted them, when I've done steps, and I learned this from a pool painter. We coated the swimming pool and when we did the steps, we actually got coarse salt, and we dropped the salt into the paint while it was wet, and it would make little holes.
Speaker 2: In the paint work.
Speaker 14: And then when you filled the swimming pool up, the salt would disappear and leave a grit and leave a little bit of a rough surface.
Speaker 2: And it was fantastic. It worked really really well.
Speaker 14: Now, whether you can do something like that with this area, you need to put another coat of something down, You need some sort of aggregate in there. But whether this pools I don't know the product you've used, but whether it's something you can coat on put some of that rough salt in it and create a bit of a rough area.
Speaker 2: You mean, like rock salt, the biggest sauce.
Speaker 14: Absolutely so, yeah, some core salt, you know. It sat in there and then once you filled the water up, the salt disappeared and left these.
Speaker 2: Little craters and it worked. N real work done, real. So I just don't know.
Speaker 14: Maybe you can send me some information via email a little bit more and maybe we're going to discuss it a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Excellent, Steve, stay there, mate, and Kitty will give you the way to contact Simon with more information. That's amazing.
Speaker 14: Oh, look, the things you learned from tradings, you know, from other trades that I learned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just great. You know you have some information on that to do something. Good morning, Serena.
Speaker 19: Oh, good morning, Simon. We have a problem with the discoloring of roof tiles and the riches I think need re cementing. Do you have anybody that's reliable? And you know, I'm a bit scared. We're you know, we're not young, and you know, we don't want to just get somebody from the paper.
Speaker 14: And look, I totally understand where you're coming from. Can you tell me what area you're from? What suburb Kellyville? Key, Look, I don't have anybody in Kellyville, the Kellyville area. What I can suggest is possibly go to a roofing company, somebody that supplies roof tiles. It is roof tiles you're dealing with. I guess you know, maybe one of the companies, the smaller companies that supply because they will supply to tradesmen, right, they will supply the roof tiles. And if you go there and say, listen, do you do you any one you can recommend, because see they get the tilers to come in They usually have a pretty good idea. Who's good, who's not?
Speaker 2: You know, who's a bit dodgy? You know what I mean. I've done that myself.
Speaker 14: If I've needed a trades person, I'll go into a company and we're not talking about Bunnings. We're talking about, you know, a small roofing company and ask them that way and that sometimes it works.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: I've done that, mysilf.
Speaker 14: I've done it with tilers. I've gone to a tile shop yeah and said can I have six recommendations?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And you get them. Absolutely. There you go, Serena Best of Black. Thank you for your call. It's coming up to thirteen to eleven. We better say get eate a gill or sorry Jill, hi, Jill, Now I am good mate, yourself?
Speaker 6: Good, good listen.
Speaker 20: I've seen in the last week some bubbling of the paint down the bottom of the wall near the skirting board.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 20: And I just wonder whether I should scrape that back and let it breathe or what should I do?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Absolutely, I would do that. What's the other side of that wall? Is it a bathroom or a kitchen?
Speaker 2: Neither?
Speaker 20: It's double brick, Okay, so it's an outside wall. No, No, it's internal. So on the other side I've got it's kind of in between a bathroom and a bedroom.
Speaker 14: Okay, so the wall the other side of the wall that you're talking about could be the bathroom.
Speaker 20: Is that what you're saying, could be the bathroom or half half, But it's the bathroom door. It's not the plumbing.
Speaker 14: Yeah yeah, but there might be some plumbing through there. There could be some water issue on the floor getting leaking through. I would say that there's an issue in the bathroom with a waterproof membrane. Somewhere there's water getting into that wall and it's it's actually soaking into the double brick and then it's causing the bubble bubbling of the paint. So you need to find out what's causing it. What I would do is turn all the taps off at home and go and look at your water meter. That's the first thing to check, because if you've got a leak behind the wall that's not due to a tap washer, which is possibly that could be a leak behind a wall, you know, That's what I'd be checking. And also what I find is in showers where the taps are sometimes where the cover plate is that covers the spin. Water can get behind those and get into the holes where the tap screw in and it can leak down the back of the wall. So that's another issue.
Speaker 2: Right, how do you you can there is a device with which you can measure moisture, isn't there?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But do they work? Yeah?
Speaker 14: Absolutely they do. I've got one so they you know, you'll put two prongs onto it and it'll give you a percentage of how much moisture. But we know there's moisture there because there's bubbling paint. Paint doesn't bubble for no reason. It's usually moisture that's causing it. So it's a matter of now finding why the water is getting in there, whether it's a membrane, breakdown, a pipe or leaking in from somewhere else.
Speaker 2: All right, one three one eight seven three to have a chat to Simon. We'll take a break back after this. It's eleven to eleven, eight to eleven times getting away. Nathaniel Smith is CEO of Master Plumbers Association of New South Wales. Is called through Simon Nathaniel, good to chat again and you can help us out with where we should send people that want licensed plumbers.
Speaker 21: Mate, Yes, lute, thank you, Simon.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 9: Important that you use license plumber if.
Speaker 21: You have any plumbing issues. And the best way to do that is to go to master plumbers dot com dot au and search for find a plumber and in that segment of the website you just put your postcode and you'll find a local licensed plumber. All about plumbers are licensed, they've got company licenses and they follow a code of ethics.
Speaker 14: Yeahtin, excellent, fantastic mate. I really appreciate that. And as you said, you know, don't do plumbing yourself. Yeh, Absolutely, you need a license plumber. It's not something you're allowed to do yourself. Yeah, it is something you have to have a plumber to do.
Speaker 2: So thanks Saneel good to chat mate Bob online one. We have to be quick with callers with apologies.
Speaker 6: Bob.
Speaker 2: How can we help you, mate?
Speaker 22: Yeah, I had a branch on the tree fall down onto the roof and crack the tile and with all the ryan came through and it's blended on the earling came through the insulation bat yep, and there's a big stain on the seling. I was just wondering do I have to replace that, or can you?
Speaker 14: As long as long as there's no bowing to the ceiling, you know, as long as it hasn't collapsed at all, and it's only a stain itself, you need to put a stained seiler on there. I use something called zinsa bin b I N. It's a red and white label, so it's a methylated spirits based paint and it will hold back those stains. So that's what you use to hold the stain back, and then you can put on a ceiling paint over the top.
Speaker 2: All right, best of like Bob Bros. How can we help you this morning?
Speaker 23: Yes, good morning, Simon Luke.
Speaker 2: Good one.
Speaker 23: I have very slippery tiles in both my bathrooms and I use a rubber mats in the show, but I'm still terrified I'm going to fall. Is there anything I can put on the tiles other than ripping them up that would make them less slippery?
Speaker 14: Look, you can try a product called d T a anti slip of available at a tile shops, sometimes at Bunnings or might a ten might carry it as well.
Speaker 2: So it's the three letters d T a anti slip.
Speaker 14: And what you do is you actually put that onto the surface. Let it sit for fifteen minutes, and it microscopically etches the surface of your tiles. It says in the directions to do an inconspicuous area. So if you've got a spare tile, first try it out, Okay, before you go doing the whole bathroom.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's at DTA anti slip yep ros. I've got the same problem in Fears and I'll be doing that in the next week. And thank you so much for calling Margaret. Don't hang up to stay there. I'm sure Simon'll chat to you briefly on the way out. Good to see you, mate. Good to see you mate. I think glad you survived the four you told us about that. People got to be careful, don't you.
Speaker 18: Well.
Speaker 14: Look, I've contacted the ladder company. I found a little bit of a design fault in the ladder which I think needs to be changed. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: We'll maybe talk about this next week. See you mate. Thanks great stuff.
Speaker 24: Thank you.
Speaker 2: By Simon Stevenson. Our new's not far Away man has died after a single vehicle crash in the Riverina region. This is Sebastopol today two thirty fifteen k south of Tumora. The driver of the car, man in his twenties, was treated by paramedics, but he could not be revived and died at the scene. He's yet to be formally identified. There was a passenger to an eighteen year old man that was not injured. He's off to Wogga Wogga Base Hospital. Be careful on the roads across Australia. It's back to weekends with Luke Grant. Hello there, I hope things are good for you on this Saturday. It's the seventh of June for those playing along at home, and wonderful to have you with us. Tom Jones's birthday today and we'll make mention of that, along with a whole bunch of Tom Jones trivia when we get to Craig Bennett after midday leaf fan Onslin coming up shortly. We'll get a market update with Glenn Munsey at a lad break Sala Stoles from Domain with the Real Estate News, speaking of which I was through the week doing some work on one or two issues that we are doing some work on. Queenslanders need to earn around one hundred thousand dollars more a year to afford a typical home than before the pandemic boom. According to new analysis, one hundred thousand more year. The staggering pay rise places Brisbane just behind Sydney in terms of the extra income required per household since COVID nineteen. This is analysis from Canstar. It shows the minimum annual household income necessary to avoid mortgage stress when purchasing at the median unit or house price. An income of one hundred and seventy one thousand was needed for a median priced house in Greater Brisbane in May twenty twenty five, compared to seventy two thousand in March twenty twenty huh for units one hundred and twenty thousand dollars required today pre pandemic fifty two thousand. This is astonishing. ABS figures put median weekly earnings in Queensland at a one thousand, three hundred and fifty in August twenty twenty four, or seventy thousand a year, about one hundred and forty thousand per household. The wage increase was only greater in Sydney, where householders or households now need a massive two hundred and seventy two thousand, up from one hundred and forty five thousand and twenty twenty at a suburb level. Canstar's research revealed nearly fifty Queensland locations where the difference in household income had ballooned by two hundred grand or more. Coastal and inner city hotspots led with buyers and surfers paradise needing a whipping four hundred and eighty one thousand dollars more per household. I mean, look this, and partly it's a generational debate, isn't it. I remember back in the day when interest rates were twenty percent. Me too, I certainly do. But the multiple of incomes per house value I think is rather instructive. I'll tell you what's not. That was the debate I saw through the week about our baby boomers had their there they talk about buying a home when they were younger, all this age stuff. Look, I know, and I've said it a million times, ages them is the acceptable ism you can get away with that. I think that's well, for me, highly offensive, But surely the debate can run a bit deeper than that. You know, hashtag just saying it should it really should. But what qualifies its political debate in Australia is how do I say it? Depressing? That's how I say it. Each week we speak to Leith fan Onsolin macro business dot com dot au. It's where we get our financial and economic news each day. Brilliant macrobusiness dot com dot Are you Leith Fanonsolin is on the line? Good morning? Are very well mate? What about you? Long weekend? Doing something wonderful or not?
Speaker 3: The weather's turned pretty miserable down here in Melbourn. Unfortunately we had an absolute fools paradise spring whereby I reckon about four weeks ago. Is that's the swimming at the beach which you never do in Melbourn?
Speaker 6: Yeah, this time of year.
Speaker 3: But suddenly it's just hit us like a punch, punch in the nose. So unfortunately, mate, it's going to be a bit wet and a bit cold, so I'll probably just stay in doors and do some other stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nothing wrong with that, now you you say that the government in return for now a couple of weeks already we should be getting policy whiplash. Why do you say that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So this week, well, earlier this week, I should say, it looked like the Albanese government was going to make some sort of sensible policy compromises in a bunch of areas, but later in the week they pretty much have done a one eighty degree turn it seems, and have fumbled the balls. So you know, the first area is gas, right, So you discussed in detail last week it appeared that Labor was open to establish an East Coast gas reservation policy, effectively emulating the excellent policy that the Coalition took to the election. Now I'll just give a very quick refresher say, in case you missed last week, the Rod Guillay government in the early twenty tens made the disastrous decision to improve l G exports out of Gladstone, Queensland without requiring gas producers to supply the domestic market first. And because this effectively made East Coast Australia the only place in the world, the only export gas exporting jurisdiction that doesn't require companies to supply their own residents first, So domestic reservation policy. And since then, you know, since they these export terminals poot it up about a decade ago, we've literally doubled the production of gas in these case, but we've actually supplied twenty five percent less gas the domestic market, so just haartened it of off shore right and as a result these case gas price is roughly tripled. And the Coalition promised during the election to implement an East Coase reservation policy by imposing export levies and uncontracted gas, so effectively gas does not only contract, which goes into what's called the spot market, which is actually what sets the help set the electricity price. They were going to force that gas to be supplied domestically rather than export, and they're going to do it by basically charging an export levy on that gas to make it more cost prohibitive to export. So it was excellent policy and the Coalition promised to lie with the East case gas price to blow ten dollars in gigduls. They currently it's around twelve, you know, floats around twelve goes up a bit whatever. But the counterfacture of not doing this, look is because we've got these gas shortages, these artificial shortages. We're actually looking at importing gas in New South Wales and Victoria, potentially South Australia. So these ELLERGI import terminals, if they come online, they're going to push up the price of gas on the East Coast of possibly twenty dollars a gigadel from twelve currently because we'll be paying import parity prices, so that's the espectually the price we paid the moments basedally export parity prices, which is before you liquify, which uses tons of energy and is expensive, the cost of transport and then converting it back into gas at the other end, so we'd be basically paying that extra cost. And so the Coalition promised to implement a reservation policy. Now, Labour's Resource Minister Madeline King during the election dismissed Coalish's policy as a quote thought bubble and so that basically they they factually opposed it. But last week the AFAR reported that the Albini's government was considering imposing the East Coast the reservation policy. So that basically got me pretty pretty excited. I thought, I here we go that Labour's ben knee and coming back to common sense. Yes, But then late this week from Minister Anthony Albanese distanced himself from the notion of reservation and despite the fact that he publicly praised Western Australia's gas reservation policy. So West Australias is a separate gas market's not linked by pipeline. They've had a reservation policy since the early two thousands that's brought down the cost of gas and electricity in West Australia's worked excellently. So Albany said, Wa, this is a quote WA. Frankly showed good vision going forward when they put in the reservation, so you know, he said it's a good thing. But then he said that the coalition's policy had been plucked out of a Cocoa pops packet and said that labor already has the power the force produces to sell the local market. Well, if you do, why it exactly so you know, Unfortunately this is a sort of whiplash. It looked like coolish is an excellent policy. It got Lambassa during the election for political reasons. It looked like last week lay was going to bend the knee and potentially do a similar policy. Now album Elbows come out attacking the coalition's policy or reservation saying it looks plucked out of the Cocoa pops tacket. So the upshot is that if we don't do this work, if Labour doesn't fix their stuff up from under the rud Gillard government. When they improve these projects without reservation, we're facing the very real prospect of having to import energy, which is going to send the gas price through the roof. It's going to send electricity prices high, it's going to push up inflation, it's going to lead the higher cost of living concerns, and it's obviously going to push more on manufacturing off shore because we won't be able to make stuff as nearly cheaply because energy is arguably the key input if you're a manufacturer, and if we make that energy expensive we send our manufacturing. I'm sure we get a less diversified and industrialized economy and the manufacturing end up just going to China, which is where we sell a large chunk of our colon gas anyway. So it's just crazy stuff mate.
Speaker 2: So what about superannuation whish whiplash again?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does. So under Labour's proposed super reforms, they want to effectively increase the earnings tax on large super balances, so that's balances over three million, and I don't personally have a problem with that necessarily provides index. But the real controversial area here is they want to change the rules so at the moment, there's a fifteen percent supertax on earnings within super bunds. That's like dividends and interest payments, and if you've got a commercial property rent, et cetera, and they want to increase that for thirty percent, which for large balances is fine. I don't really have a problem with that. But the problem is they want to start applying it to unrealized paper profits, which is crazy. So what that means is that if you've got a share port folio and the share port follower arises in the year, they want to start taxing that before you've even sold it. And it's a real problem, particularly if you hold unlisted assets. So if you hold assets that are not traded on a share market, for example, you know, commercial property or whatever, how do you value that? So they need to basically get a private valuer in that's all rubbery evaluations anyway, and then you need to need to pay tax every single year on whatever. This person themes that it went up before you've actually sold it, and then if you don't agree with that, you're probably going to spend thousands of dollars for an alternative assessment. It's just a whole bunch of complexity that we don't need. And the Prime Minster Anthony Albany, suggested early in the week that Labor would negotiate with the coalition instead of the Greens and raise the prospect that it would abandon its unrealized capital gains component. But instead, good old Treasure of Jim Charmers on Wednesday came out and then slammed the door on that, saying, no, I no know. Labour's going to negotiate with the Greens. We're going to keep the unrealized tax on that and we're going to basically keep the existing policy which is subject to balances of three million dollars, but it doesn't it's not indexed. That's what that means is that in say twenty five or so years, if you've got inflation at two and a half percent, that three million balance in twenty five years will be equivalent to say one and a half million in today value. So it's going to suck more and more people into that net. So you know, for Stars, it should be indexed and they should get rid of the unrealized component. And I think if they did that, we probably have a good, good policy because the reality is the superinotion concessions are ridiculously generous, and they do cost a budget about sixty billion dollars currently, so this is very expensive that they're forecast grow to cost the budget more than the age pension in several decades. So we should really raise a bit more money out of that stuff. But it should be done properly. And the way you do it is you just simply double the tax for large balances, you index it. What we could also do is we could change the way concessions attack. So at the moment when you contribute to your super fund you get you do it at a flat fifteen percent tax. Now there are some carb apps if you earn over two hundred and fifty k, but for most people it's fifteen percent flat tax on supercontributions instead of that. What that does that that means that if you're if you're on a higher income, you get a bigger concession. So for example, if your income's two hundred and twenty thousand, your margin tax rate forty seven percent, but if you pay fifteen percent contribution effecively getting the tax benefit thirty percent. Whereas if at the lower end you don't get as bigger benefit because your martyr tax rates lower. So instead of if you want to make that more more against sustainable and also fair, just follow the Henry Tax Reviews recommendation, which is basically give a fifteen percent flight production. So for any supremoation, you paid it at your marginal tax rate minus fifteen percent. And that way you'd be giving a bigger benefit, well effectively a bigger benefit to lower income earners, so then they currently get but you wouldn't be given as a bigger benefit to high in commerners. And ultimately, the superde Lays system should be about relieving pressure on the AH pension. And the way you do that is instead of giving teas of concessions to people who will never go on the pension anyway, you should skew that to the lower end. And if you do those two things that the government would say doings and dollars in more revenue would be a fairer system and we have more money to cut income taxes and do other stuff. But get rid of this unrealized games.
Speaker 6: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: It's ridiculous. I had a listener say earlier, if you if you have an unrealized gain, you should pay the tax with unrealized income, which I thought was a nice way of dealing with it. And now do we have a clown or hero? I think at the clown this week? Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, unfortunately I'd love to do a hero.
Speaker 2: But okay, well play the get sent me play the music first round mate, Clown of the week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as I said, mate, I'd love to do it hero, and I will one day. But unfortunately we've got another clown, and unfortunately it's none other than Treasure Jim Charmers. So this week we got the Q one National Accounts, so the March Courter National Accounts releasing the ABS and there's another absolute chacka. Right, so we're back in the per capita acession. Economic growth once you subtract population growth fell by one point two percent, right, so we went backwards again. This represents the ninth decline in eleven quarters. So this is the longest stretch of per capitaal declines in modern history.
Speaker 9: It's not the deepest.
Speaker 3: It was deeper in the early nineties and the mid eighties recessions, but it's the longest we've had. So we've just been at this slow grind. So nine out of out of eleven quarters, we've gone backwards. We were suffered at a per cap of GDP decline in one point seven percent over that period. Also, the total economic growth in the March quarters point two percent. That's with population growth, but that was less than half of what the ABA projected in last month's Statement of Monetary Policy. They projected point four to five percent. So that's a really weak result. And you know, good old Treasury Jim Charmer's put lipstick on a pig. He did a meter release saying that the private sector recovery we had planned for is gradually taken hold. The Australian economy remains quote one of the strongest in the world. Now everything that is that is private sector recovery, public demand, so that's basically public spending is a share of GDP is basically at a highest level ever of nearly twenty nine percent, and about sixty percent of the nation's growth in the year to March was from public spending. So we've basically got an economy here where the private sector is dead. It's been propped up by high population growth, high public spending, and then Treasure gym charmers are saying that we've got one of the strongest economies in the world, et cetera. So you know, it's very hard to take him seriously when per capita GDP, so everyone's slice of the economy pie that's fallen from nine out of the past eleven quarters. And we've also experienced a household spending has also declined for seven consecutive quarters on an annual basis, is down about two and a half percent from its peak. So households are spending less as well. And we all live in the household economy. So there's three parts of the You've got household, businesses and government. We care about the household sector and that sector particularly has been hit very hard, and we care about that because that's the sector that we all living. Everyone listenally, this is part of the household sector. We're not part of government, not part of business, and that sector has been hit really hard. We're all coming back on spending. We've got a per capita recession and Jim Charmer's the same of you out there with IM media rely SA in Australis economy range one of the strongest in the world. Yeah, kind of ridiculous.
Speaker 2: It is all right, mate, have a great weekend. I'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 3: Cheers, Luke.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Leith van Ontolin. Just to support what Leith was saying about the private sector, I found this astonishing. I really did. The Don Watson Group, which look after transportation and cold stores, they've decided to shut their doors. Now, this is a highly regarded company. It's a refrigerated logistics operation which sends around the country frozen and cold goods. Now, you would think given the distance that they would have great demand for their services. Well, it started back in nineteen forty eight. The founder, Don Watson, would service markets with a few Army Surplus K series Austin's. He passed away in seventy Three's son took over and they launched the refrigerated division in nineteen eighty four. And there's there's a third generation owner now where they're shutting up shop. Final collections made tomorrow and then they'll be delivered in the following days. The thing is, there's three hundred employees now. They'll be paid their entitlements. I've told but it's purely down to economic conditions, that's what they say. I'm sure they didn't by accident last so long, from the original founder to the refrigerated Vision founded in the eighties. I'm sure they didn't get through all that by accident. Something's going on here and leave this so right for the treasurer to say, look at me, how good. Remember we had that conversation about lived experience, and then we get the fluff and the spin and the statistics that are meant to look this way, not that way. This is lived experience. I hope all the people working for that company are okay. And to think that they've got a shut after being founded in nineteen forty eight delivering cold stuff in a country outside astonishes me. Next, we mon't be able to make things here. Hang on back in a moment, just quickly before I take a listener or two on the open line. Since nineteen forty eight that that refrigerated trucking company has been operating, Don Watson to think what it's been through COVID, GFC and everything else. It comes to the middle of this year and too much I mean, as I say, lived experience with the other rubbish we get served up each day to day duty.
Speaker 9: Hi.
Speaker 25: Last time worked for a company also at Saint Mary's four years and they went into do credation yesterday, no servance pay, no nothing, no holiday pay, no weekly allowance pay or anything finished, gone close to shut Yeah four and a half years. Yeah, a number pensioner and we have had fifty four dollars fifty two dollars rise in four and a half years. It's just disgusting. And there's no mention of pensioners and how hard.
Speaker 23: We're doing it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Look, Judy, I'd love to get details in that company, just that I can add a bit to that story. But but Judy, and it's easy for someone you know, working like me. But I don't know how you do it. I simply don't. I go into the supermarket each week, I fill up my car and do all these things, and you remember what they were a week ago or a fort night ago, what they feel like they were a week or a fort night ago. And you know, unless you're winning a quid, how do you keep up? I just simply I don't understand. And you're right to raise that. Thank you for doing it good A Patrick.
Speaker 15: I just want to let you know about a classic accident. The fire engines are their place? Are there at Burvengar?
Speaker 8: Are you heading north? And the trafficker is backed up to North Lakes.
Speaker 2: Well that's on the highways of Mate, on the.
Speaker 12: Yeah main highway.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and.
Speaker 15: It's they got one lane one and a half lines open there, sort of urging two into one on the spot, but it's holding up traffic by Jordan below.
Speaker 2: Mate, travel safely. Let's hope everyone's okay, And thank you for letting us say about that. The Highway of bourb Gary. This is north and it's backed up. The traffic's backed up. We'll update that in our our next traffic with Dennis just as soon as we can. Plenty of sport, plenty of racing this weekend, we've better have a look at what's going on. Glenn Munsey from ladd Brokes is on the line, Mons, how are you going? You okay, I'm.
Speaker 6: Very good, Thank you.
Speaker 18: I met them those people probably traving north getting ready to go on the Bruce Highway pass that very famous urb and Gary tavern on the right hand side there.
Speaker 2: I know that, well you know it by the location of a drinking place.
Speaker 18: Well, I've covered that Bruce Highway quite a number of times, right, yeah, yes, yeah, And the one thing you don't want on the Bruce Highway is an accident of any description whatsoever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because you are stuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah too true, right NRL. I don't know where to begin here. Perhaps we should start with the Sharks and the Warriors. This'll be a beauty, I reckon.
Speaker 18: It is at five point thirty this afternoon at Cronulla as Round fourteen of the National Rugby League continues today. It's fifth place Cronulla versus fourth place the Warriors, Cronulla one forty eight favorites here, the Warriors coming off that winn against South's last week, Cronulla coming off the by the Warriors at two sixty five. It's six and a half the line in this one forty four and a half the over under The Warriors have won the last two times they've played at Cronulla, five to six times Cronella has been at home, the points have gone under, so that's something for you there. And the underdogs have covered the line in the last five matches at Cronulla, so that gives that six and a half start something for you there. Seven point thirty five. Tonight's speaking of the Bruce Highway. The opposite side of Brisbane, of course, is the M one and isn't it a can be a traffic nightmare. Well, it's the Battle of the m one tonight at sun Cort Stadium where the Brisbane Broncos are running twelfth go up against the Gold Coaster are running seventeenth. Now both sides have only won one of their last five matches. Brisbane have lost their last four. They're in all sorts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your man as a Roosters man, As much as it hurts me to say this, your man Reno who won a premiership at the Bunnies back and I think it was twenty fourteen. Forgive me if I got that wrong. He's playing number was game number three hundred. I mean, I don't know how much how many years that is in radio crosses, but that's almost as many as you've done.
Speaker 6: Oh no, that had taken about a year in the old days. That now.
Speaker 18: He's got half a tattoo for every game he's played, Adam Reynolds, so that takes him to six hundred tattoos.
Speaker 6: He would like.
Speaker 18: He's a very very good bluck, Adam Reynolds and a true South Sydney man.
Speaker 6: Although he is playing for the Broncos. Who would have thought.
Speaker 18: Brisbane would be a dollar thirty in a match against anyone, but that's what they are today against the Gold Coast who are three dollars fifty.
Speaker 6: The line here is out to eleven and a half.
Speaker 18: Now the underdog has won the last seven games that Brisb's been involved in, but Brisbane have failed to cover the line in their last ten against teams coming off a loss, so that eleven and a half start might be all right to the Gold Coast fifty one and a half the over under there and five of the six matches involving Brisbane, five of the last six when they've been favorite, that points title has gone under so not a lot of points in that one.
Speaker 6: So that's today. Then we go to tomorrow. My boys.
Speaker 18: The Bunnies go down to Canberra at two o'clock at Goo, they're two eighty outside of South's the Canberra at.
Speaker 6: One forty four.
Speaker 18: Josh Papalecki, he's three hundred and nineteenth game for the canber Raiders. That breaks the all time playing record. There seven and a half the line and that were four o'clock at Combak it's the West Tigers three thirty five outsiders to Penrith who at won thirty three nine and a half. The line there and Monday at a court Homebush. They're expecting sixty thousand people here and a great initial from Canterbury.
Speaker 11: Here.
Speaker 6: You can get a ticket for ten dollars yes, to go to the football.
Speaker 18: Now.
Speaker 6: This is turning back the clock when both of us had hair and.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, hey, I still have very few worries. I still got hair. You know what, You've got more statistics than the abs anyway, keep going, Oh well, it's good.
Speaker 6: It's just rather than reading out numbers, it's a little bit of.
Speaker 2: History, mate.
Speaker 12: I love it.
Speaker 2: Don't worry. I love.
Speaker 6: Preparation is everything you can know that I do. No preparation is everything.
Speaker 18: Canterbury one dollar forty favorites paramatter at two ninety five. This is right back to the glory days of the eighties one forty two ninety five, seven and a half the line in that one Melbourne still remained premiership favorites. A big win last night two to seventy five over Canterbury four fifty, Kronulla and Camber at eight, the Warriors at fifteen and Penrith at twenty one. For the tennis fans, tonight on stand it's the women's final at Roland Garross at eleven fifteen. It's number one seed Arena Sabolenka up against number two seed Coco Golf and Sabalinka there one forty two favorite Coco Goth at two eighty five. She's two dollars and five to win in straight sets. Now, if you look up at the screen, they usually have the flag of the country alongside the player. Now, because Arena Sabalinka comes from Belarus, they don't recognize the flag, so that's why you don't see anything against Arena Sabalinka, but you'll see the American flag against Coco Goth. Ten matches, all of them between each other. They're five all and the last time they met, Sabalinka won in straight cents in the Madrid Open and the lead up to the French Open there and the Men's tomorrow night. Yannick Sinner up against Carlos Alcarez. Alcarez the favorite there for racing fans.
Speaker 6: I'm at Royal Raemick.
Speaker 18: It's a beautiful day out here. It's a little bit chilly, but it's a big cool. It's a nice day up in Brisbane Super Saturday, they're calling it in Brisbane three Group one races. The Kingsford Smith will we raised seven, the Oaks will be race eight and the Derby will be raised nine. And interesting there the Oaks and the Derby sponsored by Ladbrokes. Who would why not download the Ladbrokes App and no matter where you're going, no matter what you're doing, what you're looking for, you'll be able to find an investment that you may want to have on any sport or racing right throughout the world.
Speaker 6: And everyone have a corp of a day and enjoy the long weekend.
Speaker 2: You mate, just the best at this. Thank you.
Speaker 6: Well, I've been going at it a fair while.
Speaker 2: And you know when you began, did you have hair?
Speaker 18: I had plenty of hair, no worries and no kids. I've got no hair, no money and plenty of kids. And one day I may even get this.
Speaker 2: Business right right our Glenn? Thanks mate.
Speaker 24: The Ladbrokes App is loaded with the best racing features. Take on the fun and download the Ladbrokes App today. You win some, you lose more for free and confidential support. It is a gambling help online dot org dot au.
Speaker 2: It's seventeen minutes to midday and now talking real estate. Yeah, let's have a look at what's happening in the property market in Sydney and in Brisbane. Thanks to our friends at Domain lighted dictall you that the national property editor at the Main, Alice Stoles, is with us again this weekend. Greetings, hope you well.
Speaker 26: Oh, good morning, look great to bear with you on all the listeners.
Speaker 2: Lovely. Let's get straight to the auction numbers and perhaps clearance rates from last week.
Speaker 27: What can you tell us, well, a bit of a sleepy weekend this weekend, given we've got a long weekend in most parts of the country. Sydney today is just four hundred and ninety one auctions, almost half of what they had last weekend, and Brisbane has eighty six options, so I think that they're kind of in the heavy lifting this weekend. It seems like out of those two states now last weekend, Sydney came in at sixty eight percent for that clearance rate. So what we're seeing, Luke, you know, we know how high auction numbers were last weekend, and what we're seeing is I guess that increased confidence from buyers out in market, most likely because of that second interest rate cut, is really starting to flow through the clearance rate in Brisbane came in at forty percent last weekend, so pretty much on average for that market.
Speaker 18: There.
Speaker 2: We'd like to look at the best buyers and the expensive buyers too, don't we In Sydney and Brisbane and last weekend in Sydney the honors when if that's the right way of putting it? To Stratfield in Brisbane a Kangaroo Point.
Speaker 27: Yeah, And with this house in Strathfield, it's sold for ten point one million dollars. Now it's a six bedroom house, I have to concede it does come with a bowling alley which is at tribute of a property. And now the buyer at this auction, guys, there were two hundred people watching it. The buyer viewed the property ten minutes before the auction and ended up being the one who bought it. There were five registered bidders and four active bidders at the auction.
Speaker 26: But isn't that just mind boggling ten point one million? And he was a local.
Speaker 27: He was a local resident in Strathfield, bought this place clearly as an up great house. Now, the property in Brisbane last week that sold for just over four million was a three bedroom apartment on Kangaroo Point this epic, beautiful, gorgeous sort of one of those really the lamb sexy style apartments that we're seeing more and more of now that almost look like a huge luxury house, but it is actually an apartment just over four million dollars that one sold.
Speaker 2: For jeez, and the best buys Lakember and Logan Home.
Speaker 26: Indeed, there was a.
Speaker 27: Two bedroom apartment in la Kember that's off for three hundred sorry, one bedroom brother three hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 26: In La Kember.
Speaker 23: Not bad, is it?
Speaker 2: Threred?
Speaker 27: Hey, you know that's unheard of in Sydney most days. That would normally be a stop stop press moment, wouldn't it. And in Logan Home in Queensland, sorry, a three bedroom home there sold for just under six hundred and fifty thousand dollars. So again it's interesting to me these sort of little green shoots that do pop up every now and then to give you a bit of a hope, there still are some affordable bargains out there if you can really sift through a lot of those listings.
Speaker 2: Now. Through the week we had the domain groups made twenty twenty five Market Insights New listings Rose sharply across most capitals, didn't They showing sellers and feeling a bit more upbeat about the market.
Speaker 27: Indeed, So what we're seeing is those sellers who have been sitting on the fence have now kind of moved forward after that second interest rate cut, and I suppose that slight sort of optimism that there might be further rates to come.
Speaker 26: It's certainly pushing a lot of sellers forward.
Speaker 27: So at this stage we're looking at having quite an active winter, which is obviously quite unusual for the property market, particularly in Sydney, but a lot of that is being driven by that confidence in the market with those interest rate cuts hopefully continuing to wash through and new supply.
Speaker 2: Isn't that the case it It jumped over the month by more than well nearly twenty percent.
Speaker 27: Yeah, So new supply is a really important part of this because we know that if there's a new supply coming to market, it means that buyers are feeling I guess, sort of satisfied that there are enough options out there.
Speaker 26: So new supply is continuing to push through.
Speaker 27: So it's encouraging news for buyers definitely, and also sellers makes us a bit more competition on the market.
Speaker 26: But look, in my mind, that's not a bad thing for anybody. Really, we need more of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right. Days on market Is there a trend there that we've noticed in either city?
Speaker 26: Yeah, this is really interesting.
Speaker 27: So even though we are seeing a lot of activity in the market, the days on market represents how long places are taking to sell, so they're basically kind of increasing. So in Sydney it's up to sixty three days is on average the time it's taking for a property to sell.
Speaker 26: Now, what that means is often if we have a disconnect.
Speaker 27: Between what a seller wants for their house and what a buyer is willing to pay, those days on market can stretch out. We've also seen those days on market increase in Brisbane, but that's still only at forty four days, so still considerably faster to selling Brisbane than it is in Sydney. And that really is talking to the fact that demand in Brisbane remains high while the supply is still not yet satisfying that part of the market there.
Speaker 26: But it's an interesting thing and I think it's a cautionary note.
Speaker 27: For sellers also to ensure they're pricing correctly because even though buyers want to buy, they're not going to overpay because most of them are still constrained by affordability.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fascinating stuff. So in Sydney the lowest days on market Saint Mary's, Marrickville, Sydenham and Campbelltown. And in Brisbane it was the Gap Inaugura, Forest Lake, Oxley, bald Hills, Everton Park. Fascinating stuff. Now we'll take a break. I want to come back and ask you about the rise of stay vests and then we'll get to our unique properties of the week. Yes, it's eight to midday every year. Domain is trusted by meetings of Australians to buy, rent and sell their home. Domain's got access to the most current, comprehensive and unique housing data in all of Australia, helping you to navigate the market and make informed decisions on matters that impact your home and your property. All the things we talk about Domain dot com dot au. And we're having a chat with Alice Stoles, who joins us each week. Alice, what is a stay vesta?
Speaker 27: Well, look forget rent vestors, investors, Luke, It's now about the stay vester. Now many adults are probably scratching their head at these adult kids that are living at home longer and longer, saying that they're saving up for deposits for a house, many which are, but some of them are getting to the next level and actually buying a property, renting it out while so someone else is paying their mortgage and they stay living at home under their parents' roof, perhaps enjoying the spoilers of living at home with mum and dad a little bit longer. And what it means is they can start paying down that mortgage or essentially someone else's paying down their mortgage, and gives those adult children the chance to build some wealth while not having to pay a mortgage at the same time. Now, look, what I like about this is that it kind of, I guess, turns the idea of the bank of mum and Dad around a little bit, because we know that a lot of people can't obviously afford to be the bank of mum and dad or are able to.
Speaker 26: So what this means is that if you can at least give your kids.
Speaker 27: You know, a roof over their head when they're adults and that they've actually managing to buy property, it can actually sort of give them something that is sort of priceless, but doesn't cost you any more money in return, hopefully except for the laundry bills that they.
Speaker 2: Might that's right crewing. They're paying Mum and dad decent red I have to say unique properties of the week. We're going to beautiful Rose Bay in Sydney. First off.
Speaker 27: Yeah, Now with this house, it's five beds, six bath, it's in Rose Bay. It is on the market for ninety million dollars nine zero. It's on over one thousand square meters of land and it is the most spectacular view of that gorgeous, beautiful Sydney.
Speaker 26: Harbor, sparkling. The houses able to accommodate up to two hundred people for a party at NiFe or something.
Speaker 27: But just the most eye watering figure. But you see, if you like that, I guess it kind of makes sense. But still just an amazing testament to the strength of the strength of the strand property market.
Speaker 2: Does it come with a bowling alley?
Speaker 27: It doesn't come with a bowling alley, I reckon you're probably you can probably negotiate that with the age based on that asking price.
Speaker 13: YEA.
Speaker 26: And in Britain, yeah, Brisbane is a.
Speaker 27: Great place on the market in BERLINBA. Now, this is a house that's five beds, seven bath. It has a five meter taj Mahal island bench. The master sweet is one hundred and twenty square meters with a boutique style walking road, which I think sounds pretty wonderful. It's got a wellness studio or a private games room with its own roulette table, an eight car garage complete with a Ferrari inspired mural. And the house is actually being sold fully furnished. Now I can't give you a price for that one. You have to contact the agent because Queensland law prohibits us talking about price guides if a house is being sold for auction or for expressions of interest. So sorry, listeners, but call the agent and I'll be able to give you a bit more clarity on.
Speaker 26: What that figure is.
Speaker 2: Yes, excellent work by you. Alas Stole's national property editor at Domain. Thank you. We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 26: Thanks Luke, good on you.
Speaker 2: We'll take a break now, it's almost for to midday. Well, most time for the news at midday. The boy are in today the Continuous Call team, although they're at Cronello Sharks Stadium so we won't see them in the Flesh, the Sharks and the Warriors at five point thirty, and then the Broncos and the Titans. Mattie Thompson's in here to call that a little bit later in the afternoon, but we'll talk to Mark Levy next hour. Well, it's Tom Jones' birthday, Craig Bennett. I just met Jack Hahn from the Today Show. You know Jack Hahn. We often have a yarn with Hahn on our show many weekends. I won't say most, but a lot. He can nearly play NBL. He's taller than I. I thought I was tall at six three six four. Anyways, No height doesn't matter, does it. He's a nice man though. Anyway, we just met him in here.
Speaker 6: Australia.
Speaker 2: It's back to weekends. We'll look grand good afternoon. Hope things are good with you. If you've part of the long weekend thing in New South Wales, the Act and elsewhere, good on you. If you enjoyed Queensland Day yesterday, good on you. One three, one, eight, seven threes. And I'm going to call here. We will get to Craig Bennett. It's Tom Jones' birthday. Today. Will relive the life and times of the great Tom Jones got a song to play, in fact several, but we'll do that shortly. In the meantime, lots of people getting in touch on the text and via email. Thank you for doing that. Zero forcing zero eight seven three eight seven three is the text. Ian says, good I look for adult girls still at home, no rental bills paid, but they do cook for me, washing up and rubbish bins of my job, plus lawns and cleaning the house. Is that fair? I think we know the answer to that. Ian Ian says, I would not have it any other way. Good dad. Cheryl says, I just want to say I love your traffic reporters. Thank you, Cheryl. Nice to have a specific thing that you like about a show, and if it's that, that's a great thing. Luke. The Don Watson refrigeration transport closure comes two years after the closure of another national refrigeration transport company, Scott's. They encountered similar issues. All right, Mark, thank you for getting in touch. Good day, Luke. Just listening to that. Lady pensioner, we have to drive at home to our kids to start setting themselves up for retirement at a very young age. If you retire without owning a home and having at least half a million in your super you're in trouble. Ever been to the Pet's Ridge area, Yes, I have. There's thousands of acres of land, a main road leading to the m one Mount White railway station. There's no station there. There is a Brooklyn and there is a Woy Woy twenty minutes to Westfield, forty minutes to the beach. Any problem is the local council makes you have at least twenty acre blocks. Two wakers would be nice. Look at dural Steve. Very interesting. Thank you for getting in touch.
Speaker 28: That is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very interesting. Let me think about that. One three, one eight seven three get a in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, hi, Luke.
Speaker 29: I just wanted to discuss what the earlier ladies said before about retires and the cost of living game. Yes mate, yeah, well, our the cost of living gap for retirees is actually increasing. People that are currently employed, they get an increase in their way genuinely, some not all, some not all mate. Yeah, but even so, that means that the gap between the cost of living and inflation is reduced. That may not get rid of it, but it's reduced. A retire really our income reducing because interest rates are falling, so term deposits and superannuation income has been reduced. In fact, the cost of living increases for a retirene.
Speaker 6: And also you're talking.
Speaker 2: Here about a self funded retiree.
Speaker 29: Well it's not even self funded. You could be on a part pension as well. And that's that's the next point.
Speaker 7: That I'm coming up with. Jim Chalmers has got the deeming race for the pink and under review now increases that on a part pension, they're going to find that produced in their pension by a.
Speaker 29: Couple of hundred dollars a fortnight. And some of them could even lose that part pension, which means I'll also lose their colon weal healthcare all the benefits that come with that. So the parties had a policy for the cost of living for re tyrense. So it's a bit did you read Animal Farm when You're at school by George Orwell?
Speaker 12: I did.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 29: Well it's a bit like the chapter in it about the draft horse. When it's too old to pull a plow anymore and the knack is vain, it turns to take it away. That's what it's not being like as a retire in Australia.
Speaker 2: Well, look, and that's that's not an unf that's not an unfair point that you make. Not an unfair point that you make. And it is a little symbolic of the society in which we now find ourselves where you get to a certain age. I mean I often talk about how ageism are just allowed to flourish and it never gets called out. But you try any of the other isms and wow, we'll just line you up and deal with you. And something about a dignified retirement, and that's that's not that's not something that we shugges. Oh they're just baby boom boomers or gen X. I mean, that's what that's what a thoughtful society should do. That's what indigenous societies do. But we've got a completely a about I've got a lot to say on this, a lot, but I don't want to go off, as I say in the classics, half cocked. You've certainly piqued my interest in this. I'll continue to talk about it, and I'm glad you rang in. I got to keep moving, hi, Paula. Look good afternoon, afternoon.
Speaker 28: I have two sons, forty seven and fifty and in the last couple of months, they've both been made redundant.
Speaker 2: Goodness, same industry.
Speaker 28: No, no one was in supplying building and developments and things. He saw it coming. The orders got less and less and less until there were none. But not only making them redundant, the company also decided to send the whole book keeping department offshore. They were also made redundant. And the youngest son drives the great big prime movers the Semis. Yes, he does parcels or food deliveries for you know. Well that came like a bolt out of the blue, and there were eighteen drivers.
Speaker 2: Well do you see you can't. I mean, there's two things. You've got a housing crisis. How the hell can anything in business apart from something mismanaged, How can any business in the construction industry be doing it tough? And we live in a country that is large. I mean, there's nothing new in this. We've got to transport goods from one city to another, or deliver mail or whatever it might be. How can that part of industry face closures. It's baffling. There's a lot to this storage. It's not being told, it seems to me.
Speaker 28: Paula, Oh, well it's hidden. They Neither of my sons can do anything essentially because their lives work, so they're not even countered as being unemployed.
Speaker 2: You know what, if you're worried, I saw a social media post through the week, a lady, probably a well meaning lady. I'm sure it was a lady. I don't want to say that for the sake of it, but I'm just trying to now find the image of the person social media whose work I was reading. Let me share this with you. You see a lot of people think this. Here it is. I'm so grateful for our health system here in Australia. My doctor visits a bulk build, my flu vax was free, my COVID booster vas today free, and I've hit my pharmaceugical safety net and now all my meds are free for the rest of the year. Thank you, Albow and Labor. You know what that person votes. That person votes they think things are free. They're not free, you clown. Someone has to work, someone has to generate income, pay tax, that's where the money comes from. And if I might just make the point, can you specifically direct me to the Peter Dutton policy where you wouldn't get bulk billing you wouldn't get a free vax for flu or COVID or anything else, or whether the PBA safety net was going to be reduced. No, and sadly people like you vote now. The big issues, the big issues are what we're talking about here in the middle of a housing crisis, construction companies going to the wall. How that work? People starting out in life buying a property, but they can't afford to live in it, so they'd rent it out and then they go and live with mum and dad so I can get a couple of dollars. The other story I brought to this morning about earning an extra one hundred grand over four or five years to buy a property in Brisbane. This is the real world. But people like the clown on social media says, I get free ductor visit, I get free fleet of vax. I get free. But thank you, Albo, you vote. You're the biggest danger in Australia. People like you wake up to yourselves. Good Dave, oh.
Speaker 6: Good morning afternoon to you. Thank you so much to take my calls.
Speaker 13: Good thank you. But before I talk about Linux Walker, how good was this weekend? Some decades ago? It was par it was par knight, you know fireworks.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, crack of night, yes, cracking night. Did you do anything? You don't have to tell me, did you did you do anything? You now regret. I can tell you what I did. It involved them, It involved a mailbox. Shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 13: We used to put cupp debungers under tim keirns and they go up about fifty three.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The bon in the park, oh yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 13: And every now and again a skyrocket the milk bottle and fall over the skyrocket to be flying around about two feet off together, watch it.
Speaker 2: That's right. You just ducked or someone had someone to be on the other side of the road with a Roman candle and it wasn't dangerous. It was up to you to avoid it. Right now, we're still alive.
Speaker 6: Fair dinkhom It kept John yutas it does.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, yeah, I want.
Speaker 13: To thought about Lenox Walker, Thank you so much for putting that on. A bit of damn common sense prevails here and Lenox Walker back in the early part of the last century or he would do predictions of the weather on what he saw happened before cyclic and the farmers. The man on the land predominantly planted his air crops depending on what he said, and it was very accurate because it wasn't due to a cow passing me thane or dogs. It has all got to do with the cyclic matter of weather. Now here's the big one. In nineteen twenty nine there was a science convention in Canberra and Lenox Walker warned them of heat waves for about four to five weeks of over one hundred degrees fall night. He was the minized and they said, you're an idiot. You don't know what you're doing here. Kiss what may happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well the interesting part here we had a couple of people. Dave asked about Inigo Jones and Lenox Walker and then Hayden Walker. Well, as it turns out, Hayden Walker's dad is Lenox Walker. Lenox Walker was the assistant to Inigo Jones from about nineteen fifty three and he continued Inigo jones forecasting service from an observatory in southeast Queensland after Jones's death in nineteen fifty four. That's that's the tie in. But just like Lenox, I know there are people, particularly in rural parts of the country, Mate, that that subscribe to Hayden's Hayden's work because in the long line begun beginning with Inigo Jones into Lenox, into Hayden, a lot of people have have faith, have faith in what they say. Thank you, Dave, good to chat to you. One three, one eight seven three is a number. We're about to take a break and speak about Tom Jones, but not before we hear some Tom Jones a little different to the Green Green Grass from Home. This is a song called sex Bomb, enjoying with Baby you sad. You know, sometimes the listener just nails it Walter by the way, Tom Jones sex Bomb. Walter says, Luke, sex Bomb. Did the Big Man suggest that? Well, I can tell you in a Weekend's exclusive, And Tom Jones has said this. I'm told many times that he was watching a replay of the Big Man playing in Canterby's Grand Final win and just saw this behemoth, this force of nature. And he's apparently reportedly said, have a look at that. And one of his colleagues said, what is that? He said, it was rugby league, But have a look at that, you like? So what that big thing? He said, No, that big sex bomb. And as a result of that song, Walter, You've absolutely nailed it. Without people like you, this show just is rubbish. Back gonna sec twenty eight minutes after midday.
Speaker 6: Grab the smelling souls industrial strength if you have them, and.
Speaker 1: Don't forget the pickle juiced, because it's time for star struck with Craig Bennett.
Speaker 2: Now, very often during this segment I warn you to jasper well and Craig, does you know? It's not me. It's Craig do it because he knows things that you and I don't know, and at times that information is well challenging. And you know, we would normally say I grab yourself a glass of cooking sherry, or grab onto something firm, or maybe you know, dose up on the pickle juice. But look, I don't know, because Craig knows stuff that we don't know. But I think today perhaps we don't have to go that far. We're talking about I think everyone's unless you're married to one or related to one, everyone's favorite Welshman.
Speaker 1: It's not unuse you wants have been mangling marass.
Speaker 2: Oh what a voice the voice of Tom Jones. Craig better, good afternoon, How good is it?
Speaker 11: And how fabulous. Is it to be chatting with you again, Luke Grant? Yes, it's happy birthday actually to the Welsh Whaler. They call him the one and only Tom Jones, that the swivel hipped sex bomb singer who you realize was once banned from TV in the UK. And I'll tell you why he's eighty five today. Say it ain't so, but yes, absolutely indeed he worth he is June seventh, nineteen forty is when he was born. Still very busy. Is in Fa in the midst of a tour now playing dates in the UK and across Europe's to one of the coaches on the UK version of that TV talent show The Voice. You know, Luke, what a live, what a career in years you mentioned about holding onto things firm and pickle juice and all of that smelling salts alert because he does have a life that has bared the brunt of shockers and scandals. Oh no, so, I know, I know, I'm sorry to break this news to you, but seriously, truly is sixty two years in showbiz so far, so you'd imagine there'd be a bit of something. Look, forty nine albums so far he's release sold over one hundred million records. There's on the mantelpiece of Grammy Award a Golden Globe for that was for his TV variety series in the seventies of This is Tom Jones. And of course he's mega hit songs. We just heard of it of Watching New pussy Cat That of course was the hal David Bird Bacharac song that was the to Woody Allen's wats New pussy Cat movie? But I think was Peter Sellers and Ursula andress in that he sang the theme song to the Warren Baty movie Promise or anything. And of course let's not forget he also warbled one of the theme songs to a James Bond movie. It was Thunderball with Sean Connery as seven Shaking those Martinez. You heard some of those other hits, Delilah, It's Not Unusual, which in fact, was the song that really launched his career. She's a Lady, Green Green Grass of Home. He was a singer, look, not a songwriter. So you heard him singing other people's songs private life. Look, it's been tumultuous and it has kept the tabloid's churning over the decades across the U k. And the US, a lot of inks Bilt covering Tom's Shenanigan's tales of epic philandering. At one point, he claimed, and this was at the height of his career, when women were tossing their nickers at him, that he was betting up to two hundred and fifty fans and group.
Speaker 10: Is a year.
Speaker 11: And if you're thinking, was he married, yes, Indeed he was married to his childhood sweetheart, Linda. I'll tell you how she dealt with his cheating. They were married for I think it was fifty nine years, fifty nine years up until her death in twenty sixteen, which rocked and shocked Tom and caused him a great deal of reflection. Look, he had affairs with some of the world's most beautiful women. Although I'll tell you what Hollywood sex siren Maimie Van Duren had to say about betting Tom doesn't matter if you've.
Speaker 6: Never heard of her, she has never heard of her.
Speaker 11: Well, she was this blonde, voluptuous sort of Marilyn Monroe esque sex siren of the fifties. If you have a look her up on Google, you'll see what I mean. Maimi vand and she's still alive. I think she's about ninety four or ninety five. She made some shock acclaims about where she discovered he was putting a pair of socks. There was a born during a three day fleeing with a model in the eighties. And that's a very sad story in fact, about that son who's been doing it rough, living in parks and bus shelters and so forth. And then of course he had this horror stretch in his life when he was young, twelve or thirteen, and I think he was when he was bedridden for two years with TV. Plus he's still raging feud with his singing rival Engelbert, humping the humper they call him. And Engelbert told me that wise and wherefores of that particular feud set strap in. Of course it's a wild ride. We wouldn't be talking about it unless it was a wild ride.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, and that's a very fair point. It's just that I gets conscious that listeners might have been following our advice. Now, I was concerned I might have because I've indulged in a biting the pickle juice over the journey. Yeah, and I was concerned I might have because I read this on social media and now it's a thing a sophag picko laitis, which is a condition you get if you have too much pickle juice. And I was hoping to get a weekend off it. But there you are. There's no such thing as a weekend off it.
Speaker 11: Oh, I didn't realize it came with a medical condition. Oh yes, yes to these days, lucases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 11: This segment needs a warning sign.
Speaker 2: I think I think you're right, all right, mate, The Tom Jones story after this g just quickly.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: I was looking at the races coverage, which is I think on channel seven and on the microphone, the foam thing. They've got seven plus, which I think is the online thing and seven Why don't they just put fourteen on the dad and be done with it anyway, Craig, let's get the Tom Jones story, mate.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, you bet you be back to the beginning we go, Luke, it's always a wonderful journey. Is that he was born Thomas Woodward in Pontid in Wales, WHI I said, the Welsh whaler is what they called him. And now you know why Thomas woodwould become Tom Jones when he started singing professionally. That was sixty two sixty three, and it was his manager, Gordon Mills who changed his name effectively to cash in on the success of an Oscar winning movie. Back then, Tom Jones, it was called with Albert Finney and Diancealento, the Aussie star who was married to Sean Connery for a bit. Tom's dad was a coal miner. Mum looked after Tom and his sister Sheila look As a kid, he hated school. I guess when you're a kid that you kind of do, don't you. He was always singing warble away, family gathering's, weddings, funerals. You kind of get the drip there. When he was twelve, though, and this is where his life really turned around. He was bed ridden for two years with tuberculosis, and that's where his love of music really ramped up. Because you're lying in bed, there's not a lot else to do, so he was listening to the radio all day and just loving people like Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis, and of course later came Elvis, so they were very big influences in his singing life. He quit school at sixteen a year later married his teenage sweetheart Linda. They were both seventeen, and they married because well, she'd gotten pregnant, and so shortly after they'd brushed the confetti out of their hair, along bounces into the world. Their son Mark, who in fact still manages his dad Tom Jones to this day. Those early years were kind of tough, luke. I mean, he worked in a glove factory. He got a job as a laborer, but was a regular in line at the doll office. And it's fascinating because in twenty twelve, notes from that unemployment office where Tom attended were found, a big pile of them in a dumpster. They were retrieved and auctioned off, and they painted Tom Jones as this werkshi loafing layabout who only wanted to sing and become a star, not do shift work. How he was obsessed with getting a band together. And the notes also claimed that Tom was out on bail for breaking and entering, though that story's never been confirmed, but that's what the notes from the unemployment office were found in a dumpster and later auctioned off or claients. So look, he did begin singing professionally nineteen sixty three, became the frontman for a band called Tommy Scott and the Senators. They signed a record deal with Decker. The first song that he released, this is Tom Jones, was a number called Chills and Fever, which was not a hit. But then his follow up was absolutely massive and that is It's Not Unusual, which was nineteen sixty five. That song came out massive hit in the UK, number one on the charts, number three in the US and I think it was number three here in Australia too. And with that Tom Jones overhauled his image. In came the type pants, I mean very type pants, yppoppingly so, the shirts that were unbuttoned almost down to the navel, the chains, the hairy chest hanging out. He imitated the sort of Elvis thing of gyrating those snake hits suggestively and in fact that's why he was banned on Telly in the UK for a bit after gyrating around on a variety show. Well with a very visible let's put it this way, the trousers were very tight and you got to see basically everything. They call that now a first trap. I think you know where you become very sort of suggestive and seductive anyway, Look, he flew over to Las Vegas nineteen sixty seven performed his first concert spectaculars there, and it's around that time that the ladies in the audience started apparently taking off their nickers and tossing them at him on stage. Now with regard to the type pants, and it goes to show think we cover everything here, you know, And he had that kind of alluring all dispose. So I mentioned old time Hollywood movies star Mami van Duran, who, as I say, still alive. She wrote in her memoir how she'd been in New York Tom was concert. She'd gone along to see him. He'd slipped her a note. They had a drink after Woods, and then after that, well she reckoned. She was quivering with delight and anticipation. Back to the hotel room. Down went the dubs, and things didn't match up. She suggested he was using a pair of socks. Wow, things out, I know. Anyway, Look, on the flip side, though, he was great friends with Elvis Presley. On the flip side of all that, he and Engelbert Humpting, as I mentioned, have had this long running rather fraud association.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 11: The papers loved to call it a feud. It kind of went down this way. Tom's career kicked off first. Then his manager, Gordon Mill signed Engelbert, who back in the day was a budding UK singer by the name of Arnold Dorsey, and the manager changed his name to Engelbert Humpendink after a German composer, and the two were kind of pitted against one another, which was great for record sales and publicity because they both had the same kind of look. They had the tight trousers, the whole thing. So you got the rivalry, the jealousy, and who had the most fans and who had the bigger hits, and who bettered the most groupies, and all that stuff was going on. Then the snarky comments began appearing in the UK papers, which it continues to this day. And Engelbert told me it reach. He reached out to Tom when Tom's wife Linda died. Didn't hear a word bout nothing, nada zip. And Engelbert says in his act, while swiveling around on stage, even in his eighties, I saw him uppy late last year, was wonderful. Unlike Tom doesn't need to pop anything down. The socks stay where they belong on the ankles. Look to Tom's love love nineteen fifty seven, he married, as I say, teenage sweetheart Linda. The are both seventeen. They'd meet up in a phone box in Wales, late at night, cover the lamp in the phone box that was all blacked out, and enjoy some phone box nookie. I guess you'd say. Decades later, Tom bought in that phone box. He bought the phone box, had it flown into la where it lived in his garden at his Beverly Hills home, just a little nostalgic token of their early love. Tom has been very candid about his affairs, philandering, cheating, and I just told you he boasted about having better two hundred and fifty group is a year in his heyday. But there were flings with God. We'd be here all afternoon. So look Mary Wilson from the Supremes, I think Elvira, who was mistress of the darker Sandra Peaterson, former Miss World Marjorie Wallace. Now when that news a there Dalion's hit the tabloids in the early seventies, I think Marjorie was about nineteen at the time. She'd just been crowned Miss World I mean Linda, His wife went ballistic, socking in one in the jaw. He then had an affair with another American beauty queen Charlotte Laws was her name, in the late seventies. She was eighteen. She reckoned, He loved lounging around in Volua track suit and Kloe. Nineteen eighty seven, had this three day fling with an American model by the name of Catherine Baccerry, which resulted in a son, jul Jonathan, and very sadly, DNA tests were done. Jonathan was absolutely Tom's according to the DNA thing. Tom has nothing to do with him because he feels that Catherine, the last he had three day fling with, deliberately sort of trapped him into having a child. Jonathan has done the rounds of the tabloids over the years, talking about his sad life, busking on street corners in New Jersey, sleeping and homeless shelters and essentially begging for his dad to please get in touch.
Speaker 28: Now.
Speaker 11: For decades, Tom was able to Tom Cat while on tour and have all these affairs because his wife was never with him, and then a couple of years before her death, all was revealed she had this condition where agora phobic. It is where she just really couldn't venture outside their Los Angeles mansion and she would sit in their chain smoking, sipping champagne. She reckoned. She loved vacuuming and eating those English tin steak and kidney pies, and that was kind of a lot in life. She died in twenty sixteen after a very short but obviously ferocious lung cancer fight. They'd been married fifty nine years. He was absolutely heartbroken and I must say vended his regrets in interviews, heart wrenching interviews, saying he wished he hadn't strayed how much he loved Linda. And sometimes people in your life you just take for granted always will will never marry again. And after Linda's death, he sold up their mansion moved to London. This was Linda's wish. It's where he lives now in an apartment in London. Linda wanted, in fact to return to the UK, but she got too sick with the cancer, and Tom says he feels his late wife around him all the time. And when he left, La basically sold up everything as there was just far too many memories that he felt were sure to haunt him. Look, he's worth around three hundred million US dollars as so busy as can be. It's coming up to I think, what coming up to four am in London. Now I've just checked my watch quarter to four, so he's likely still in bed. But I'm sure in the coming days we will hear how he celebrated his eighty fifth birthday.
Speaker 2: Luke, I understand he downloads this podcast not for my bit, but for your bit. Don't worry, he'll know all about it. There was that joke that people used to. My kid walks around singing Tom Jones songs. He says to the doctor and the doctors, and the doctor says, I know what that is. It's Tom Jones syndrome. And the dad says, oh, it's a common and the doctor says, oh, it's not unusual.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 11: That's well, I mean, you know, it's nice to have a bit of a laugh, isn't it.
Speaker 18: Indeed, you've been an amazing life, Yes, indeed, great.
Speaker 2: Songs, indeed, absolutely outstanding. You've been in again, Craig Bennett, talk to you next week, my friend. Thank you so much. It's eleven to one. Now we're about to do the quiz one three, one, eight seven three three questions. Let's see disgusting Abomination twenty six and soccer rus be handed and know that for the quiz. Spinales Pillow Spinaleese at e dot com dot I go do call now we'll do the quiz after I speak to Mark Levy, who's out there to watch Cronulla do a battle with the Warriors, which kicks off at five point thirty. Full coverage here, Hi, Marquis hell.
Speaker 16: I look your home game for majority of the continuous call Tame today. It's a little sleep in the day mosy on down the road and we're here at Shark Park, which is bathed in sunshine at the moment. Not many here though, coach don't open for a few hours, but looking forward to a big day.
Speaker 2: Well, the elitists at home in the shire, do you think the Warriors can get over the Sharks? The elitist you are? You sit there in the box, You get special food order and you plug it on air and say, ah, the boss is here, haygarn mate, thanks a lot for the Wugu's steak, and and then and then the goats cheese curd and the panel poplar, the oyster flavored panel pipe. I mean, it's disgusting us rugby league fans. Give us a pie and a beer and leave me alone.
Speaker 16: Well I did pull into the car park and I said Mark leave. They said, sorry, your name's not on the list. So that was a bit of a problem. So not so much an elitis, but anyway I got in. That's the main But yeah, we'll be tugging into some sort of delicacy. Oh yeah, because we do have the premiership winning captain on the on the panel and his faces on a wall outside the stadium as well, so you can have your mate pies and we'll stick to our Chinese feast up here in the box.
Speaker 2: Yeah you want to plug, you want to plug that joint? Now, why do you got a chance?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I would, but I don't know what it's called.
Speaker 2: And then we've got Tom calling the Broncos and the Titans. They can't lose that, surely, Well.
Speaker 16: A Turtamental's three hundredth and if they can't get up for this, I don't know what's going on at Brisbane. So they're up against the Titans of Queensland Derby there, so yeah, the Broncos should.
Speaker 2: Be within that one, right mate. We look forward to hearing you very soon. You and the rest of the team.
Speaker 18: MG.
Speaker 2: Gal big Man and yourself have fun out there. I know you will.
Speaker 16: From the elitist Bye bye for now, bye.
Speaker 2: Bye for an hour? Tat half an hour, tat half an hour? Hey Robert, Hello, good a. How are you mate?
Speaker 6: Good?
Speaker 9: I'm really good.
Speaker 12: Thanks.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm very well as well, mate. Best of luck to you. We're about to do the quiz said, we can give you the pillow Question one. US President Donald Trump it's had a falling out with Elon Musk over his big beautiful bill. How did Elon Musk describe the bill? Did he say it was pretty huge? Or did he say it was a disgusting abomination?
Speaker 9: By disgusting abomba?
Speaker 2: I well done. Nicol Ed Bowler won the federal seat of Bradfield. Did she win it by twenty six votes or six hundred thousand votes?
Speaker 6: Twenty six?
Speaker 2: Well done you. Australia's men's soccer team pretty much qualified for the next World Cup, beating Japan one nil. The soccer team of Australia the soccer rus or the Wallabies.
Speaker 6: They would be the soccer ruse and just like that.
Speaker 2: A spinal ese pillow spinal Ease at e dot com dot are you the world's best premium supportive pillow. Well done, Robert, that's us today. Thank you Rob for the text. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for listening. And tomorrow New South Wales Governor Herez Sly Margaret Beasley I will also speak to tar psychologist Claire row Andy Si Shan, the Australian born bass player for Billy Joel Chris Marshall from Love Actually Gosh in one show really really stay safe. Bye bye yah