Speaker 1: And now right across Australia, it's time for the House of Wellness some d because get a good feeling that House of thanks to Chemist Warehouse, the home of real brands and real say.
Speaker 2: Their good morning and welcome to the House of Wellness. I'm Sam Mary Cameron.
Speaker 3: This morning we are joined by yoga and breathwork instructor Flip Shelton. So wonderful to have you back in the studio along with pharmacist and master herbalist Gerald Quickly.
Speaker 4: Good morning for you, morning Sarah Marie, and great to see you too, Flip just it is an amazing I really welcome these days because we have we've come on here. We all take a deep breath because we've all been going maybe I've been listening because I can't get a word in, but we we've been thrashing out so many health issues and things on the show today we've we've briefed up about. So it's great, great way to start a Sunday.
Speaker 5: I love it, so good, so helpful.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, First up, we're actually going to be chatting about something that's often not discussed, and that is incontinence.
Speaker 2: It affects around one in four of us.
Speaker 3: Here in Australia and it can be caused by various health conditions along with life changing events like childbirth, menopause, to name a few. We're going to be talking to the formidable doctor Yana Pittman, three times Olympian and now medical doctor for the World Continents week.
Speaker 2: She's going to be.
Speaker 3: Talking to us about looking at a plan to put in place to manage in continents and also dry eye disease.
Speaker 2: It's a common condition that many people can suffer from.
Speaker 3: Optometrist doctor Margaret Lamb is going to take us through the symptoms and what's out there to relieve dry eyes. I don't know about you guys, but I'm finding winter where we are because with the three of us in Melbourne right now, can be a little bit drier.
Speaker 4: Sure, and we've all got air conditioning in the car and everywhere else. But it's very common. It's a very common inquiry I get. And I'm going to ask Margaret later on about the relationship to developing cataracts and dry eye because I think there's a link, could be a link.
Speaker 2: Oh that's fascinating.
Speaker 3: Now somebody who is just pure joy personified is going to be joining us on the show presenter all round legend.
Speaker 2: We love Gus Worland.
Speaker 3: He is the founder of Gotcha for Life, who do phenomenal work.
Speaker 2: In men's health and space.
Speaker 3: As we know, men don't tend to talk about their struggles enough and Gus just does wonderful work in that area. So we get to chat to him about his partnership as well with Chemist Warehouse and how we can look after ourselves, look after the men in our lives and support Gotcha for Life as well, which is unbelievably important.
Speaker 2: I've got one of their mate hip bands right now. My girlfriend Irene brought it for me.
Speaker 3: We were at the at the checkout at Chemist Warehouse and we got ourselves our matching bands.
Speaker 4: It's a phenomenal initiative that just has been driving now for a couple of years because we tend to rush it off. Blogs don't talk.
Speaker 1: About their health.
Speaker 4: It's a lot more serious than that. As the providers, the impression is we have to provide. Don't worry, we'll look after ourselves and if I've got a bit of an issue, I stick my head in the sand for long enough, it'll just go away. Well usually doesn't.
Speaker 5: It's that fine line between as a wife and a mum, whether you're nagging someone and a friend nagging. Yeah, really when you inquire, like I've asked my son a couple of times and he goes, I find them and that's well, that's fine.
Speaker 4: At least he's talking to you. Twenty one?
Speaker 5: How old is he fifteen?
Speaker 2: Inquires? A nice way to put it.
Speaker 3: My husband and I just say, when we're calling each other out because we know that we know we can be better, or maybe we're not being our best self and we just have to be blunt.
Speaker 2: We call each other out.
Speaker 3: And that was one of our vows to each that we allow ourselves to do that because at the end of the day, we want us to be the best versions of ourselves for each other.
Speaker 2: And that means.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you got to have really tough decisions right at discussions.
Speaker 4: Rather you get the tough caller, I get them often, you know, you get.
Speaker 3: The tough not this morning, though, Philips on beautiful text message before the show kicked off. Now, some of us might find that we are forgetful at moments, right, So Gerald, you're going to talk us through some solutions for helping to improve our memory.
Speaker 2: A little bit later, this.
Speaker 4: Morning, I will and very important because we think we've been lead to believe for so long. If you've got a problem, you take appeal and it's better in a few days. Well, losing your cognitive function as in being consistently and seriously forgetful, isn't something you can just suddenly switch off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no it's not. We'll be chatting about that a little bit later.
Speaker 3: And as always one three one eight seven three is our number. You can call through it any time to discuss any health concerns that you may have. But up next, Doctor Jannet Pittman joins us for World Continents Week here on the House of well You're.
Speaker 1: Listening to that House of Wellness right across Australia thanks to Chemist Warehouse, the home of real brands and real savings.
Speaker 6: The House of Wellness. Thanks to Chemist Warehouse, get Subernate at your local chemist Warehouse, great savings every day.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the House of Wellness. Our number is one three one eight seven three. Will take more of your calls later this morning to discuss any health concerns that you may have.
Speaker 2: But World Continents.
Speaker 3: Week starts tomorrow, which gives us the chance to have a conversation about this condition. It affects over five million people in the country. So joining us this morning is doctor Yanna Pittman, former Olympia now turned a medical doctor and advocate for Continents Health Australia.
Speaker 2: Good morning to you, Yana, Good.
Speaker 7: Morning, good morning, Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: Now we know the Continents effects one in four Australians, so can you explain a little bit more about it and how it affects us and who.
Speaker 7: Well, it's interesting because I think most of us have that sort of idea that affects people in their elderly age, you know, eighty five year olds who are sort of going towards needing some help with their bows and their blooder. But actually seventy one percent of us are under the age of sixty five and I am one of those, which is why I'm so passionate in this space. I even, you know, as an Olympic athlete, had incontinence prior to having babies, because I think that's the other misconception. We think, oh, it's women who've had lots of vaginal births, We've had forrcet deliveries, And yes, absolutely that is a predisposing factor. But it's also people who are young and just aren't brave enough to talk to their family about it or go and seek professional help. So I think that's why I'm so passionate about this, and particularly this week when we're raising awareness for continence, is that I want people to talk about it and to not be ashamed because it is really common, but it's actually not normal, and it's time to sort of go and see a GP, get a referral to a gynocologist or at least the a pelvic physiotherapist and work on that pelvic floor.
Speaker 5: What are some of the practices that we can put into place to manage incontinence because some people might be a little bit nervous to leave their house absolutely.
Speaker 7: And look, I'm in such a privileged position these days because I'm actually training. I'm as a registrar in a gynocology, so I get to work with women all the time who say that exact thing, who are really unable to go out and have coffee with their friends, who are feeling that they can't go to the gym and jump on the trampoline and things like that. And you also have people post cancer who may have had bladder cancer or servical cancer uterine cancer who also are suffering suffering quite significantly from these symptoms. So there's lots of little things. Firstly, get an a point where with your doctor have a discussion about it, because there's medications, there's pestories, there's surgery that's depending on what type of incontinence you have. There's lots of options. Water Whites have even now brought out an actual adult wipe to help in that space so that you can have a little bit of dignity when you're out and about. There's pads and obviously underwear that now have that absorption option. So there are definitely stuff we can do. But again, I don't want people to necessarily live with it all the time. I want them to talk about it with their family, be brave then and hopefully get some help, because you know, I remember my own mum having it when I was growing up, and it just was normalized. Oh, that's just part of getting older, down, and you know, that's normal. Yeah, and it's not. And I know it was pretty funny because obviously on national television when I did the SAS show the a couple of years ago, I wet myself because it was about six months after having my first baby, and I was so sure that the world was going to come down on me hard for an outsteming on television. But it is the exact opposite from what I was expecting, and it sort of just opened up this massive conversation around well, what is normal and how many people are actually going through this every day? And young people are going through this and men are going through this. You know, it's not just the elderly that are sitting in this space, you know, having to wear a pat in their underpans or even an happy when they're getting older.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, if we could just focus and well done too, because many years ago the focus changed from incontinence to continents, so it demystified and perhaps raised the respect that we need to have for someone who's really struggling with this. If we could just talk about the often medications so people will go to their doctor and often be prescribed anticholinergics. I've always had real issues with the cognitive decline associated with anticholinergics. Do we need perhaps if you've given medications for continents, so you've got continent issue, if you're given a medication, do we need to explain more both at the GP level and the pharmacy level of things to look out for as far as your brain functions concerned.
Speaker 7: Well, it's more than brain function. It's also you know, people get really dry mouth and they get constipation, and there's there are definitely side effects. I mean, that's the case with all medications, isn't there. And there's also the flip side of not taking medication and urner attract infections that can cause cognitive a client if they don't get.
Speaker 8: On top of it.
Speaker 7: Because a lot of older people, as I'm sure you're aware, don't you know, they don't even have symptoms and they have a roaring ecoli infection which can decline cognitive effects. So I think it is something that we all need that education on. And obviously, guys, I'm really dun you remember how many a comple years into my training. So my recommendation there would be, you know, speak to someone like doctor step UNPACKI, who's a very experience you're a gynocologist, and see whether there's a way that we can't you know, I don't as create good packages that can then be given out to the GPS for that exact thing to discuss what those side effects are. There's certainly some good online resources and stuff that we can give our patients, and perhaps that's what we have to do, is provide an information sheet with every sort of medication that we give. And I guess the bottom line and the easiest thing to do is say, if you experience something or you notice your loved one is having a funny change in the symptom with any new medication, raise it at at the next consult because you're right, last time we want to do particularly and then someone who's elderly is reduced their cognition and ability to enjoy life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now we're talking about managing and hopefully overcoming in continence.
Speaker 2: But is there a way that we can prevent it?
Speaker 7: What tim men is in prevent in continent?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, as in is there a way that you can try and not face it? Is there anything that you can try and do? Certainly not a conversation that came up for me. I had cervical cancer. I had numerous operations for endometriosis adnomiosis and had.
Speaker 2: To go down the path of a.
Speaker 3: Pelvic floor physiotherapist, which you rightly suggested earlier as well. But I found that this was after the fact. Nobody spoke to me about it prior to the surgeries.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I think you've just hit the really important point there is that young people need conversations about this. And it's so interesting because I'm working in this space a lot now and I feel like it's at a high school level, Like I feel like we need to get in there. You know how that do you remember the old herald character fast roll up to school for the best. Were they something like that to go in at like a year I don't know, year eleven, year twelve level, or possibly even year seven, year eight level, maybe around the time they give the HPV vaccination to kids around the cervical cancer conversation and actually say, right, this is a part of life. It may be something you never experienced, but these are the small ways to prevent it. Because if we imagine, if we've got our sort of younger girls just as they start menstruating, to start doing their pelvic floor and explaining what a prostate is to our young boys, like allowing them to sort of understand what that space is, and also remembering guys is speakling continents too. It's not just urine readers. That Continents Health Australia is promoting and we're talking about them at the moment, so you know what is normal? What can you do about it? And even if you just problem them to have a conversation with their family, But the bottom line is it's having the conversation. And I think that's what's been hard is that continental incontinents has been such a taboo topic for hundreds of years and seen as such a negative part of let's be honest, a very common problem that we just need people to be brave and step up and say, Okay, I'm going to talk about this. I'm going to share this with my family and I'm going to talk about it with my friends. And what kegels are going to work for me? If they aren't working, am I doing them correctly?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 7: Probably not. Let's go and see a pelvic physiotherapist and have that real collaborative approach.
Speaker 2: There's that conversation the keegels.
Speaker 3: Yeahs, do your exercises. Doctor Jana Pittman, thank you so much for joining us and thank you for all of the work that you were doing.
Speaker 2: Is if you were already.
Speaker 3: Accomplished enough in your life as an olympian and a fantastic mother as well. You decided that you want to change more people's lives and go down the path of becoming a doctor. It's incredible, so thank you so much.
Speaker 9: Absolute pleasure.
Speaker 4: That's really lovely.
Speaker 7: Thanks guy, Thank you.
Speaker 3: You can find out more about this topic at continence dot org dot au one three one eight seven three is our number. We'll get to more of your cause a little bit later this morning, but also on the way how to improve your memory here on the House of Wellness.
Speaker 1: You're listening to that House of wellness right across Australia thanks to Chemist Warehouse, the home of real brands and real savings.
Speaker 3: Looking for support in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease, you can.
Speaker 2: Try Souvenaid from Chemist Warehouse.
Speaker 3: It is proven to slow memory and cognitive decline in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease, known as mild cognitive impairment, when taken daily over three years. This product does not cure or alleviate Alzheimer's disease. Souvenaid is a food for special medical purposes for the dietary management of early Alzheimer's disease.
Speaker 2: It must be used under medical supervision.
Speaker 3: Hechemist Warehouse Great Savings every Day, the House of Wellness.
Speaker 6: Thanks to Chemist Warehouse. Get Cadio norm at your local chemist Warehouse. Great Savings every Day.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the House of Wellness. One three, one eight seven three is our number. You can also google ask Gerald if there might be a medical question that you have that is a little bit more personal and you just want to get straight to the Great.
Speaker 2: Man himself, you can do it that way.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 3: One of our biggest fears for most of us as we age is forgetfulness, like where did we leave our keys?
Speaker 2: Or you know, if you're putting something in the fridge that really isn't meant.
Speaker 3: To be in the fridge of either have you done that like your keys? Or when you forget to turn your mic on.
Speaker 4: Like that, all.
Speaker 3: Of those things, right, Gerald, Thank you. We've forgotten names, we've forgotten microphones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and look we have a laugh about it, but it does. It's something that we all confront. If it's not ourselves, eventually it will be a loved one of some sort. And almost everybody you talk to is touched by dementia in some way and at different levels, and as we were saying before Flip, we've grown up in a world where you have a pill and it'll get better. We do not have a cure for dementia. We just do or Alzheimer's. Bearing in mind, there are different stages of dementia, and no matter how much money is thrown, are trying to understand what it's all about, we really aren't getting all that far. I get really annoyed when I read stories as I did a couple of weeks ago, about a new treatment that's revolutionary and game changing and it might be on the market in five or ten years time.
Speaker 1: That's lovely.
Speaker 4: But if we go back to basics and we look at feeding the organ that functions, so feeding the brain that we expect will keep going until we fall over. There are certain nutrients we need. We need only the three fatty acids. We need amino acids, we need B group, and we need them in a formulation that has been shown or is shown to make a difference. As far as arresting the decline of cognitive function. The issue is called mild cognitive impairment. Sounds lovely, but it really means you've got issues with your memory, which is causing concern to your quality of life. So there is an opportunity now to avail yourself of this medical food, which comes as a liquid or a powder. I prefer the liquid because I get feedback from people that say, look, the powder is not working, and it's because they don't have the proper dose, so they you're trying to make it last, which is in the cost of living. Is probably an idea, but there's no point taking it if you're not going to take it properly. So get some advice from your health practition your pharmacist, your doctor. It's been fascinating that the people with these issues, based on some of the reports of the research, they're actually approaching their medical practitioners say what do you think about this? So they're upskilling the GP, which is good because we need to stay informed about this, bearing in mind there is no treatment, so you get some advice. This medical food is interaction free, adverse reaction free, because it's feeding one part of your brain, one part of your head, which is your brain, to try and function as effectively and stay functioning for as long as possible.
Speaker 5: And can we take this as a preventative measure.
Speaker 4: There's no evidence that yet that and it might come probably not in our lifetime because the original study on souvenad was done for about twenty five years, so that all we're doing is reporting the research results based on all of that research around the world.
Speaker 5: So it has to be a long term research project.
Speaker 1: Well it is.
Speaker 4: And even this, the mark of the research shows you've got to take it regularly, so it's every day. But I'm surprised at the feedback I get. We usually say you really need to take it for a couple of years before you'll notice, but I'm surprised with feedback I get from men, particularly that's say, I'm noticing my family are noticing that I'm not as bad as I was, which I.
Speaker 2: Find very That's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Now, the medical drink that we are talking about is souvenad, So Gerald, how do we take it?
Speaker 4: It is a once a day drink, three flavors, vanilla, strawberry, coffee, cappuccino, anytime of the day which suits. There is a powder form. I've got a mate of mind that's just back from overseas who's been using this, and he took the powder and collected it from various countries. As you went around Europe, which they arranged, so the choice is there. But I think the liquid is a great way to start the day.
Speaker 5: Sounds like a plant.
Speaker 2: I know, I know.
Speaker 3: Souvenaid is a food for special medical purposes for the dietary management of early Alzheimer's disease. It does not cure or alleviate Alzheimer's disease, and it must be used under medical supervision. Our number is one three one eight seven three. You can call three to discuss your health concerns, just like June from the Central Coast has done this morning. You wanted to discuss some kidney issues.
Speaker 9: No, I've got a psiatical nerve in my back and.
Speaker 7: You're having problems with the June, Yes, I am, and like I can't put I'm in bed now.
Speaker 9: But as soon as I put my foot down.
Speaker 4: Are you poor things?
Speaker 9: The pain goes up? But I can take I have got three stage three kidney problems too, but I can take Panadole extra. But on the package it says, don't take if you've got kidney problems. But that's the only thing that sort of stops the pain. And I can't get into the specialist for another two weeks.
Speaker 4: And is your GP helping you, June. Is the usur GP involved here?
Speaker 9: Yes, that you just said, we put this to this specialist.
Speaker 4: June audio look all like. An offer is that you hang in there until you see the specialist and make some notes. In the meantime, you've told us a lot this morning. The specialist needs to understand you're.
Speaker 10: So in valid.
Speaker 4: Invalid so far you can't get out of bed, so you need to write all those things about your frustration. Bear in mind your kidney issues. So a kidney specialist you're seeing. But your main issue, from what you've said, is you've got this sciatic pain and you need relief for that. There are other options other than parasitamore, but they need to be carefully managed. It's off the usual nonsteroidlank inflammatory because they interfere with kidney function, but there are other issues. You may be able to see a naturopath and if I can help any further, please get back in touch.
Speaker 3: You can google, as I said earlier, ask Gerald and get in touched that way. Hopefully that advice helps you there, Dune. The number is one three, one eight seven. Three will take more of your calls. But up next, what can we do for dry eye disease? That's here on the House of Wellness.
Speaker 1: You're listening to that House of Wellness right across Australia thanks to Chemist Warehouse, the home of real brands and real savings.
Speaker 3: Looking for support in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease, try souven aid from Chemist Warehouse. It's proven to slow memory and cognitive decline in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease known as mild cognitive impairment when taken for three years. This product does not cure or alleviate Alzheimer's disease. Souvenate is a food for special medical purposes for the dietary management of early Alzheimer's disease, and it must be used under medical supervision.
Speaker 2: Chemist Warehouse Great Savings every day.
Speaker 6: The House of Wellness thanks a Chemist Warehouse gets suvinate at your local Chemist Warehouse Great Savings every day.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the House of Wellness. One three, one eight seven three is our number. If you've got any health concerns that you wish to discuss this morning.
Speaker 2: But dry eye disease.
Speaker 3: It is a common condition which can lead to not only discomfort, but further vision problems as well, affecting a person's quality of life and also making their daily tasks just like reading, using a computer or your phone, even driving so difficult. So joining us this morning is doctor Margaret Lamb and optometrist to explain this further.
Speaker 2: Good morning to you, Margaret, good.
Speaker 10: Morning, good morning.
Speaker 7: It's lovely to meet you.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for taking the time to discuss this with us today. Now, how would somebody know if they are experiencing dry eyes? What are the usual symptoms when it's more than just say a limited or a one off occurrence.
Speaker 10: Yes, so someone in Australia dry eye is actually quite common. So over eighty five percent of the population is estimated to experience symptoms of dry at some point. So it's actually very prevalent. And although it might seem like it's really trivial, if you leave it untreated or if it worsens, it can actually get quite serious. Like you said, it can have a very negative impact on someone's quality of life. In fact, bad enough that studies show that some that have even just moderate or severe dry can say it's worse than having a heart attack. So it's important to know what to look out for and in case you have it or a loved one has it, how to identify it early. So those symptoms so you can identify it include that your eyes feel like you have a stinging, a burning, or a scratching sensation like there's a foreign body in your eye, or having red or irritated sore eyes, or being sensitive to light, or even experiencing blurry vision, feeling like you have eye strain, or feeling that you have eyes that just feel tired. But you know, what's really interesting is that people that actually have really watery eyes can actually have severe dry eye too, because that's when your body actually overcompensates from having the dry eye and then it causes it to overwater. So watery eyes is also possibly a symptom of dry eye disease too.
Speaker 5: That's me, that's me, Margaret. Is my eyes Well? I thought it was just because it was so cold. My eyes were literally just yeah dry. People actually stop me in the street and say, are you okay?
Speaker 2: Do you have eye? My left eye left?
Speaker 5: But Margaret, what actually causes dry eye?
Speaker 9: Then? Yeah?
Speaker 10: So, as I mentioned, like, it really can have a really bad impact on someone's life and the causes of dry eye is there's two main types, right. So the first type is when you're dry eyes dry out or they evaporate too quickly on the tear film, and that's because in the eye leads we have these really special oil glands called our Mybomian glands, and they're supposed to make this nice protective oily layer to stop our tears from evaporating.
Speaker 7: So when you.
Speaker 10: Don't have enough of your oily layer, that's called evaporative dry eye. And then the second type is when our eyes just don't produce enough tears, and then that means that they're deficient in the watery layer of our tears, so that type is called aqueous deficient dry eye. So the causes of and risks for dry eyes include that it's definitely very common when we age. Unfortunately, it's also very common for it took her when you get hormonal changes, especially at perimenopause and menopause. Women unfortunately are twice as high risk as men to develop dry eye.
Speaker 2: So we're going to get hysterical.
Speaker 10: Now you are just outnumbered today, Jeryl.
Speaker 4: So Margaret, I do have a question for you, and this is the quickly brain extrapolating here. I have a number of friends who are going in and have had cataract surgery, and usually four or five weeks before they are told go and by these drops usually and Cattio norm and others use these two or three times a day so that we can get your measurements correctly when we do your cataract surgery. Now, my extrapolation brain, if we kept our eyes more moist, would that reduce the risk of cataracts developing?
Speaker 10: Oh? So the reason why that said, and we're going on a segue, and I want to come back to causes of dry ik Jerald. But the reason why that is really important is someone going into cataract surgery has to have really stable dry eye because the surgeon is really worried that if the dryness is not stable, your cataract surgery go really well, but you get poor vision as a result of your cact surgery causing more severe dry eye, which takes a long time to settle down again. So it's not causing effect about you won't get cataracts because you don't have your dry eye settled. It's more to do with we want the side effect of potential dry eye sorted, so your cataract surgery goes really well this fall and after. Okay, So if it's all right, I'll go back to because I think it's really important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before we let you go, can you quickly tell us what causes dry eye?
Speaker 10: Yeah, So, in addition to what we talked about, medications can sometimes increase the risk of someone getting dry eyes to antistamines, blood pressure, medications, antidepressants, got chroma medications, autoimmune conditions. Inflammation in the eyes causes it. Screen time, so we're all conscious of that. We blink sixty percent less in front of a screen. Our tears evaporate faster. The environment can cause dryers like air conditioning, heaters, winds, smoke, certain weather conditions, and contact lens whereas are susceptible. So you could get a better contact lens that could also dry your eyes out let's or get treatment for dry eye symptoms.
Speaker 3: So that's why so many people suffer from it, because there are so many ways that you can experience that. Doctor Margaret Lamb, thank you so much for taking the time to talk to us this morning.
Speaker 10: That's okay. I just want to also just add it's really important to make sure you get a preservative free formulation that lasts a long time, and some are PBS listed and some can be really effective in making sure that they hold the tear film down and PBS can mean it's seven times lower for pension as too, and speak to an ik professional pharmacist and then a pharmacist can also guide you to an optometrist or an ophthalmologist if they're still not enough relief. So I hope that.
Speaker 2: Helps, Beautiful Noorries.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Doctor Margaret Lamb one three one eight seven three is our number. Jeanette, you are in Melbourne's your question, My question.
Speaker 11: Is what is chemo? What actually is chemo therapy? Because you see it in movies people having chemo And I've got a friend who possibly has breast cancer and is now completely distressed and saying, I'm not to have all these poisons put in my body. I'm going to do it naturally. And I said, well, actually we really don't even know what it is, so can you explain it?
Speaker 4: Being very very briefly, genest these are these A medications that have hopefully been trialed and tested for years and US and US before they're available for patient care. So look it's a balance really and you get the best advice possible. And I hope you're there to support your friend and reassure them with whatever decision they make.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for your call one three one eight seven three.
Speaker 3: Coming up next radio broadcaster and gotcha for Life founder Gus walland join us.
Speaker 2: Joining us here on the House of Wellness.
Speaker 1: You're listening to that House of Wellness right across Australia thanks to Chemist Warehouse, the home of real brands and real savings.
Speaker 3: Dry, gritty or irritated eyes, Eyes that feel tired, red, or just won't stop watering. You might have dry eye, a common condition caused by screen time, air conditioning, or even aging. So you can try Cattioonorm can help. Catioonorm is an advanced preservative free eye drop that creates a barrier to lock in moisture to protect and relieve dry eyes. Get Cationorm today for a great price from Chemist Warehouse. Always do the label and follow directions for use. Chemist ware House, Great Savings every Day, the House.
Speaker 6: Of Wellness thanks to Chemist Warehouse. Get Catioonorm at your local Chemist Warehouse, Great savings every Day.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the House of wellness.
Speaker 3: Now, it is hard to believe that in twenty twenty five, men are still struggling to talk about their mental health issues. So joining us this morning is Gus Woland, who is a fabulous broadcaster but also the founder of Gotcha for Life Foundation.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 8: Gush, Thanks so much for having me guy, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Now, these stats aren't good, but we understand that nine people take their life in our country every single day, and seven.
Speaker 2: Of them are men.
Speaker 8: It's incredible, isn't it. Seven men a day, two women a day. And a stat that people don't talk about a lot is that one attempts every eight minutes in this country. So and you put all those sort of stats together, you can understand why it's just so sad and it's so shocking. And when I say those stats when I'm doing my talks, people google them because they can't quite believe them, because they just can't believe in this country that that would be the case. But we're certainly not on our own. Lots of other country is exactly the same. And that's why I've got Your for Life and Chemist Warehouse with their supporters out there working on prevention of suicide. And I think that's where we really need to focus. That prevention is the key, and we need to build the emotional muscle up of all ozs, these boys, girls, men and women and everyone else to make sure that they don't worry alone, that they have enough emotional must or to stick their hand up and ask for help.
Speaker 5: Gus, being a wife and also a mum to a teenage son, what is a way that we can get men to open up?
Speaker 8: As you've just said, yeah, I mean it's just just try, try and try again. And I know kids are very difficult at times depending on their age and their personalities, but if they feel that they can talk to mum and dad or someone a little bit older about absolutely everything, then you've really done the trick. That's the main thing. Whether it's yourself, and sometimes mums and dads have to take ego out and go, well, it's not going to be me. It might be the godparent, or it might be a teacher or a coach, or it might be a friend of yours. As long as they're talking to somebody about the stuff that's really important, that's really the key. And I do find it that the more that parents are a bit vulnerable. The more likely the kids are to think, oh, it's okay not to have all the answers, It's all right to bumble and fumble around a little bit. And that really is an absolute key thing for parents to make sure that you don't come across it you've got all the answers or time, because it's set such a standard for your kids to try to.
Speaker 7: Live up to.
Speaker 4: Gus Ter revy to talk to you, and I just need to let you know that the last time I had a Gus wall and hug my ribs, my ribs are almost better. Thank you, congratulations for these men's care boxes. Now these are available at Chemists Warehouse. But it is a really meaningful way of helping the organization Chemist's Warehouse fund the amazing work that gotcha for life. Does I mentioned this. I do a lot of public talking and I mentioned this all the time. It's a very simple way. It's not clinical, it's right down to earth and it basically summarizes with the work you do, the average person's view on where we're going, as in, reach out for help if you want to. No one's going to laugh at you, no one's going to make fun of you. But one meaningful way that we can all contribute is to just go and buy a men's care box. All it needs is your photo inside. But they might frighten people the way exactly.
Speaker 8: I got the thank you letter that yeah, that the photo was not what we're after, But now you're right. Chemist whare House have been our biggest supporter when we started nine years ago. And these care boxes, which you can get online at at chemistware house dot com dot au. They're twenty dollars, so buy one for a man in your life, whoever that may be, and there's one hundred and fifty dollars worth of value. So absolutely there's a gellet shaver in there that's worth twenty bucks in its own right. So it's really not about the box. It's more about if you buy the box or send the box to someone, what a conversation can start off the back of that, to go, hey, I thought of you. You're a man in my life that I care for or deeply respect or whatever it might be. We're not having enough of these what I call conversations of gravity. We're really good just chat chat, chat about banter, whether it's work or weather or the stuff that we practice but let's start having some conversations, get a little bit deeper, not bursting into tears every five minutes or having big, deep and meaningfuls, but to be able to start a combo. And this box is a really good to say, hey, buddy, I love you, Hand it over, have a bit of a look through it, and then perhaps that starts a conversation which may be exactly what your friend or person you care for needs.
Speaker 4: Thank you to those companies gus So, Super and Laurel Gillette. They are firmly supporting this gift box, and anytime you buy a product, five percent of that also goes to Gotcha for Life.
Speaker 3: And I've also got a shout out to the Matschip bands as well. My friend Irene brought one for me where we were at the checkout at chemist Warehouse and I'm proudly wearing mine this morning. I were every day so I think of my mate, and I also think of you every day. Gus So, thank you so much for everything that you do. You can check out Gotcha for Life and also head to chemist Warehouse dot com today you to buy one of those men's care boxes.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining us this morning.
Speaker 7: Cheers.
Speaker 8: Get more three kind of people than you, guys, So thank you for your support and big hugs to all of you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: My ribs are almost biting.
Speaker 2: Back with more. Next on the House of Wellness.
Speaker 1: You're listening to that House of Wellness right across Austroia. Thanks. It's a chemist Warehouse, the home of real brands and real savings.
Speaker 3: Dry, gritty or irritated eyes, eyes that feel tired, red, or won't stop watering. You might have dry eye, a common condition caused by screen time, air conditioning, and even aging.
Speaker 2: You can try Cattoonorm. It can help. You can get it.
Speaker 3: It is an advanced preservative free eyedrop that creates a barrier to lock in moisture to protect and relieve dry eyes. You can get Cattoonorm today for a graape price at Chemist Warehouse. Always read the label and follow directions for use. Chemist Warehouse, Great savings every day, the House.
Speaker 6: Of Wellness thanks to Chemist Warehouse. Get Cadioonorm at your local chemist Warehouse. Great savings every day.
Speaker 3: Flip Shelton, so wonderful to have you back in the studio. Jerald quickly, We'll see you next week. Google ask Gerald for any more of those questions, and a massive thanks to our friends at chemist ware House