Speaker 1: On two GB, four BC and network stations. This is Australia Overnight with Phil O'Neil.
Speaker 2: Nearly the start of July already, Wow, how are you. I hope you had a good day. Bit a wind around today. I woke up, saw the wind outside, spent most of the afternoon in my pajamas to be honest, until about seven o'clock. Is working on the show and some guests for you. We've got a lot of really good guests for you this morning, so I hope you can stick around, including Doctor Carl's replacement this week will be bianchor No Grady, who's a freelance science journalist and author. She'll be taking the questions that you texted me through the week for Doctor Carl, and there's some good ones there too, so we'll talk about that. And she also wants to talk about dog walking injury injuries. That's one of the things we've got. We have our usual guest Terry Barnes on Leith ban Onsolin too, and it's the Thursday Morning Live Lounge with a song that for the first time will feature a piano or at least a keyboard anyway, So that's coming up for thirteen degrees at the moment in Brisbane, although it feels like ten degrees, and in Sydney nine degrees but it feels like two. That'll probably be due to the wind. There you go, Margaret. I did the weather on the top of the hour, as you asked me to do, because I am here at your behest and i'd love to have a chat with you. One three one eight seven three is our phone number and the text number zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three if you'd like to email me. It's overnights at two GB dot com. Let's talk about a couple of things that are going on. Well, Donald Trump, I mean, obviously he is always the headline. He's very good at getting his name out there. He compared the attacks on Iran to Hiroshiva and Nagasaki was talking at NATO. He said, well, just like that, this also ended the war.
Speaker 3: They're not going to be fighting each other.
Speaker 4: They've had it.
Speaker 3: They've got a big fight, like two kids at a school yard. You know, they fight like help, you can't stop them. Let him fight for about two three minutes. Then it's easier to stop them.
Speaker 5: And then has sometimes strong language, schools is strong.
Speaker 3: Everyone's so you have to use a certain word. I don't want to use an example of Hiroshima. I don't want to use an example of Nagasaki. But that was essentially the same thing that ended that war. This ended that with the war.
Speaker 2: There you go, Donald Trump, who was relatively welcomed by NATO. He must be feeling quite happy with himself. Have a listen to this. The Donald Trump shared this on the Truth social They did a version of the Beach Boys song, but they've changed the lyrics to it.
Speaker 6: Bum bum bum bum bomb.
Speaker 2: Of course, you can imagine how happy Donald Trump it have been when he heard this straight on the sharing for the socials. You heard Susan Lee talking before on the news. I want to talk about that in the moment, but I also see the former Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has voiced strong support for the recent US bombing campaign against Iran, calling it absolutely right and necessary and urging Australia to stand more firmly behind its closest DOLLA.
Speaker 7: I think that country should act in accordance with their interests and values, and it's in the interests and in the values of all liberal democratic countries that the current Iranian regime never gets access to nuclear weapons. The current apocalyptic Islamist regime in Tehran, their constant script is death to Israel, death to America.
Speaker 2: You know what I think with Tony Abbott. And I was talking to Terry Barnes about this, and we'll hear about this a little bit later on in the morning. But I said, you know, if ever there was a right time for Tony, it would be now. And I said, do you think that he could still stick his toe back into it? Would he be a viable alternative for the liberals? I think the Susan Lee thing, you know, I think for the hardcore liberals. Don't think it's going to be a long term thing. I wonder. And we also said this when she first got home. We all said, well, a bit of a poison chalice there. You know, I wouldn't want to take that job. And Terry said, no, he thinks he's a bit too old for it now Tony Abbott. And I said, well, he's only any sixties, because you know, Terry knows Tony really, really well. And I said, surely, if there was an opportunity for Tony Abbott to come back and you know, run for Prime Minister again, if there was a way to do it, would he be the right man at the right time, right now? And Terry seemed to think no, actually, and you'll hear the chat a little bit later on this morning he said that he might be too old for it. I disagree. What do you think let's open up with that one one three one eight seven three or on the text the zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. If he had the opportunity, is the time right for Tony Abbott where it was before it would have been an opportunity for him to step back and be the leader that we need right now. Let me give you something else. You're gonna love this fantastic talk about on the worst piece of red tape crap I've ever heard about. The City of Sydney councilor is looking to require permits for bins to be stored on the curb when they're not stored on midnight. So basically the move incidentally was passed unanimously at a meeting Monday. Spoke concerns over street light that street side bin smelling bad, blocking foot and vehicle traffic and attracting animals. So what they've done is they want to get a programm response to systematically and effectively address the issues caused by bins being stored on the street. They said, there are terrace houses that now step straight out onto the footpath. They don't have a backyard and there's nowhere to store it. So in these situations you can ask for permission to have your bin stored on the street. Receptacles left out after midnight gluttering the streets, making them look messy. And also they're encouraging other people to put the rubbish bins in there or put their rubbish in there as they go past. So the proposed plan listen to. This would be a permit system for people to leave their bins on the street. Homes with no space to leave bins will be given stickers permitting a curbside resting place. In those situations, you can ask for permission they have your bin stored on the street so it doesn't clutter it. It would be a permit system for people to leave their bins on the street. It's like you know when you if you haven't go any parking outside your house, so you have to park on the street, You've got to get a permit for that. Okay, I'm in favor of that, and I can also see where they're going in terms of blocking the street. But imagine that having to get a permit sticker to put your bin out on the street if it's not bin night. What do you think about that? One three one eight seven three zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three get involved on the text, but regreat to talk. I'd love to have a chat on the radio too. Would you go as far as to say, oh, I might go and get myself a permit sticker for the bin because I'm going to leave it out the front, or you just leave it out the front and be a radical belief. I don't even know what the fine would be. Maybe they take it, maybe they take a bin away to teach you a lesson. So what do you think about that? What about Tony Abbott? Is the time right for a return? One three one eight seven three zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three as well? I didn't just fight. By the way, that was the chair moving. Just in case you were wondering, Hello, Kyle, how are you this evening at Edmondson Park? What's going on?
Speaker 8: Huh? Good morning, Phil Hire you I'm actually at a train station, just waiting to pick up my teenage son of all things, at midnight.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good, you're a good dad.
Speaker 8: Good dad. But I just called it the end of the last show and they were just finishing, so they couldn't take my call. But I'm just wondering when America is going to realize that their grip as a superpower in the world is waning in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you're not the only one who said that. You know, the empire, you know that Rome is burning one neuro fiddles. You know a lot of people have drawn some comparisons to the end of that empire, well.
Speaker 8: One hundred percent. And if you look at the Bricks Coalition in the North South trade corridor, and there's this power shift that seems to be taking place trade wise and economically. And I think when he comes out and compares what happened to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, that was pretty unexpected when that happened, and the rest of the war wasn't. Really I don't think that's the same case anymore.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting comparison. I certainly wouldn't call it a correct one. I can see where he was going with that. But the thing about Donald Trump is he says things so he can get headlines. You know, it never has to be actually factually correct.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think he needs to be reminded he's not on a reality show anymore.
Speaker 2: Well he is. He is the reality show and he's this are of his own show. Good to talk to you, Carl one three one eight seven three. So what do you think? I just got a text here saying yes to Tony ambittt for PM, says Beverly, what do you think? Get on the phone, give me your ring one three to one eight seven three and let's have a chat. Nineteen minutes past midnight. Hello, Susanna, how are you? Susanna said on the text, how's your toe? It was pretty kind of you to ask, because I put the photo of my what I thought was a broken toe on the Instagram and my wife said, why did you do that? And I said because the listeners asked me to and she said no, they didn't, and I said no they did. Said they weren't interested in your toe, and I said they were. They were genuinely interested in my toe, and she didn't believe me. So anyway, Susannah, I'm going to take a photo of that text that you've sent me to show to my wife tomorrow after I find out if I'm in trouble or not. Steve says, you know where they can stick their permit? This is the permit for the bins on the street. I mean, come on, it really is red tape, isn't it. And they really got that's all they've got to do. I just want to get into you know, local council, just so I can sit there and come up with preposterous things. You know, I will just to sit there and yell at clouds because I seem I think that's the place to go, isn't it. I left my bin out a little longer than usual, says Mick, and some clown. But he's dogs number two in my bin. That's funny because Michelle talked about that last night when she sent me a text. She said, ask people if it's okay to put your dog's doodo in somebody else's bin. Well, this happened to Mick, and he said it was wrapped luckily so too. I don't know who it was. Well you don't what, mate, You know what you can do, Mick, get some DNA on that dog turd and you can probably track him down. Hello, Kim, how are you this morning?
Speaker 9: Yes, good morning, till. I definitely want to say Tony Abbott for prime minister.
Speaker 2: Can he come I'm not really sure what the rules are, Could he come back? Could he make it some kind of a comeback? Could be? Could he be parachuted into some area?
Speaker 9: Oh definitely, I wish she would come back. But I think he was treated so badly by people in his own party turncoats, that you know, I mean, seriously, absolutely shameful. He was robbed twice of being prime minister. In the first election when Gillard went up against him and it got down to two independents. I mean, Tony Abbott won the election, but somehow got down to two independents that weren't so independent.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mentioned being parachuted into because they did that with Christina Kanely, but I think the circumstances might have been different. But he was parachuted, as they said.
Speaker 9: He was robbed of being prime minister the first time round. The second time round, Turnbull's ego took over and Tony Abbott lasted for six months. He was voted in by the people. These politicians with their eager should not have got in the way.
Speaker 2: And I think it's a different Australia than it was when he was in power. I think that you know, we've especially with you know, Trump getting re elected, people have just reevaluated what they want from their leaders. And I think the thing that you know, the whole thing, but the Dames, even going back to the chewing of the onion, you know, things like that that made their headlines worked against him. But now we wouldn't care and we can eat it. And he can eat six onions and make as many people Dames as he wants.
Speaker 9: To know, the stories they came out with making and people saying or eat this onion. He should have just refused to do it. I mean people, you know, I mean, I'm just finded with people and how they treat certain people. I think they're quite appalling actually. But I really think when it comes to Prime Minister's Tony Abbott hard working, He gets down dirty with the people. He's a volunteer firefighter, he's been was politician for many many years. I think he's spent nearly every Christmas going out in the Aboriginal communities. I just think he's a wonderful all around human being.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember there was a moment they picked him up on a hidden mind, not a hidden mic, but a mic that wasn't supposed to pick something up. And he was talking to somebody from the army about a situation, and he was talking to them on their own level, and something he said was misrepresentative, misrepresented or misconstrued, and that became the headline. I can't remember the exact occasion, but he talks to people on the level of the way he sees and perceives they would understand what he's trying to say to them. You know, I'm trying to say that by that, try and explain what I'm Tony Abbott was trying to say. But he you know, it speaks to people on the level, at their own agenda, at their own level, as opposed to trying to come up with sort of some kind of way to just appease people. And I really like that about it.
Speaker 9: I agree. I've never met the man, but just watching from a distance, I just think he is just one of the most genuine, human, hard working people in politics that you could ever come across. And you know, look, he deserves to be Prime minister. He deserves to have stayed in power for three years and it's the kind of person you want that shame for what was done to him.
Speaker 2: And also, you know, you need somebody who's going to represent Australia in a tough position, and you do need a tough man from time to time. You know, you do need somebody like that who will stand up to the bullies and will you know, take care of business.
Speaker 9: And he's always articulate, and he always speaks well, and he's always very diplomatic, unlike Alban EASi and many other prime ministers before him. No, Tony Abbott will always get my vote. And any person I know be a family member, friend that they all love Tony Abbot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well maybe he could be convinced by the way I was thinking about you yesterday when I was doing some guest searching for the show. It's funny because I think about, you know, oh, this would be great for Susanna, this would be great for Chris, you know, and I sort of keep in mind who I think would also be interested in the guests, and I found you know, I know that you love the paranormal show we do Friday, so and I had to do a lot of back and forward with this lady. But she because she sort of was essentially she was abducted by a UFO. So for me to approach her and go, can you come on the show, she immediately thought, well, hang on, am I going to be open to ridicule here? She's written books about it, and so I had to go backwards and forwards to go no. You know, the idea of this show and this segment is that you know, you come on, you tell your experience, and we listen to your experience without judgment, without criticism, you know, because I think that should be the way in any conversation if you want to learn. So anyway, she got back to me. She's got a website called alienexperiences dot net and her name is Nadine and she's kindly agreed to come on tomorrow night's show. So I thought, well, you know what, I can't wait to tell Kim because of me.
Speaker 9: That's one.
Speaker 2: That's tomorrow night.
Speaker 10: Kim Bill.
Speaker 9: I'll be listening.
Speaker 2: Excellent, always good to do it to you. And Penny's on the phone at Gold But morning, Penny, what do you think.
Speaker 11: I mean? Politics is all too hard to follow really, But The one thing I wanted to pick up on the lady that was just on was that Kim. Yeah, she said that Tony Abbott was voted in by Australians. No, people vote for their local member and then the party votes for the leader, right, And this just comes out And I'm not having a go at her specifically, but there just seems to be this view that people vote for the prime minister.
Speaker 2: No, they don't, that's true. However, you do tend to vote for the figurehead of that party. You do tend to think of that person as being a representation of the entire party. And that's why, you know, you often vote for people like Trump for example, and people like if you're going to look at American politics, you know, Clinton and people like that. They often are voted in on their charisma or their image, and then the rest of the party that stands behind them follows suit.
Speaker 11: But you know, people get angry about the parties going against the will of the people, But the reality is the parties have the right to choose who they think is the best leader for the time, you know, And I'm not saying what they did was right or wrong, you know, because you know, yes, Abbott was badly treated, but Trump Turnbull was also badly treated. It happens to all of them. Hayden was badly treated. You know, he was possibly the best labor prime minister we never had.
Speaker 2: I think though, oftentimes it's not that they think this is the best for the party. They think this is going to be the best for me, because I'm this guy's buddy, and down the track, I'm going to get a nice, neat portfolio. I'm going to get something I want. So there's this game in play all the time of if I can get this person. It's a game of chess, isn't it. If I can get this person and I can give them, I give them my support, not necessarily want them in the job for the full run of their job. And down the track I'm probably going to stab them in the back and try and take their job. So it's not necessarily I don't think it's to be honest, I don't think it's ever all in the interest of the party. It's in the interest of the politician.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, I guess in recent years have been more manipulative, but you know, in days gone by, it was in the interest of the party and yeah, yeah, so yeah, you know, but I mean, you know, we really don't get to vote for the prime minister.
Speaker 2: If it was yet. That is a good point though, If it was just a vote for the prime minister as opposed to a vote for the party, that would be interesting, wouldn't it. If you go, well, I like this person, I like de vice, you know, I like the you know, the the VP, I like the I like this person, but I would prefer them to be in the position, so I would like to put them down as one for one for prime minister.
Speaker 11: Yeah. Imagine the carnage you could come up with if you voted the prime minister from one party and the deputy from a totally different.
Speaker 2: Party, putting like a fantasy football team in play.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, you don't encourage me.
Speaker 2: No, that's what you're going to be doing when the next time you're standing in a little cubicle, you're going to just be you know, working on two bits of paper. There one here.
Speaker 11: By the last election, I didn't want to vote. There was no one I wanted to vote for. In relation to my local electorate, we were moved in back into Eden mon Arrow and you know, we had eleven to choose from, and none of them seemed to be interested in golden.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, that was a little bit a case as well of the last election in Australia. People were saying, look, I'm voting for the least of the two worst campaigners.
Speaker 11: I voted for the letter of the two evils.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a letter of the two evils. That's exactly right.
Speaker 11: And it's really said that they really don't seem to be a lot any you know, many decent politicians around.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. I've talked about that before and I've said, you know, what happened to those people that were great leaders, who were you know, inspirers and people that you wanted to you know, as opposed to well, he's a guy in a suit and tie who's just telling me.
Speaker 12: Things you're not.
Speaker 11: I mean, you know, people there's differing views about Howard, but he was a statesman. Keating Fraser to a certain extent was a statesman. Whitlam. You know, but that year has long gone and they're just in there for what they can get for themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's a three year plan with all governments. I always say that, you know, like go in there with the ten year plan. They don't have a ten year plan because they're looking towards the next three years and hopefully saying, you know, we'll get this done in three years when there's no there's no cash to usually do that. You know, it's just I'm going to tell you what you want for the time being so I can get elected and then you know, hopefully three years down the track you'll forget what I promise you.
Speaker 11: Well, I think Labour's now probably got a six or nine year plan because they'll be into the next.
Speaker 2: Couple of the Actually, well, you know, it's funny a lot of people say that. A lot of people have said, well, here goes six years. I don't know if that's the case. If you know, the Libs could come up with somebody that, you know, like we talk about Tony Abbott, but if the Libs could come up with somebody who you know, re energizes the party and the country. I don't think that necessarily it's a fake complete that you know that Labor have got six years out of this.
Speaker 11: But see, I think liberal and it's not just federally liberal state wise as well, are just shooting themselves in the foot. I don't know, if you follow Act politics at all, Labor has been in power in the Act for over twenty years because the Liberal Party just is you know, they're just interested in the power, you know, changing leaders and getting the power themselves. I live there for thirty odd years and still follow it, and you know, people are sick of Labor, but there isn't an alternative.
Speaker 2: That's it, you know, And there's never there's never a good third party alternative, isn't it.
Speaker 11: No, And you know that's how it is federally, and that's starting to be how it's going New South Wales as well.
Speaker 2: Penny Ring anytime, You're most welcome and I've been lovely talking to you.
Speaker 11: Thank you. And I survived the minus ten the other night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I saw that. Yeah it was it was it actually about what minus one, I think, but it felt like minus ten.
Speaker 11: Oh no, it was actually it was actually minus ten. It was minus ten and I was up at five point thirty when it was minus ten to go to the railway station to go to Sydney.
Speaker 2: It was I can imagine. Did you have the wind as well, because you get some nasty winds around Golbin area.
Speaker 11: Didn't feel it that much. I dashed out to the taxi when it came.
Speaker 10: To kissing out and that'sh.
Speaker 11: From the taxi into the station and stayed near the iron until the track.
Speaker 2: That's right, sitting around a cigarette trying to pep. Nice to talk you, Benny, Thanks so much. One three, one eight seven three is the phone number. And I'll get to your text as well after this twenty four minutes to one. Hello, Randy. My day isn't made until I get your text every morning. Zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. Let me get through a few more of these texts as well. Tugs says that Trug's comments are an abomination. On the Nagasaki Hiroshima two hundred thousand citizens who were wiped out, and he said that the entire generations of innocent families were wiped out. No Iran bombing was anything like that. Joyce says Phil, I think Labor and Turncoake did so much damage to Tony. I don't think he'd want to come back. And Carol also agrees that Tony Abbott's time has come and gone. We need younger, more vibrant people, and a doer and a goer, but people don't seem to want to do it. That's the other issue, isn't it, though, Carol. There's just no appetite anymore for people to get into politics. And as from Joy, if voters vote Liberal Party in all the seats, Tony was the leader, So if Libs get more seats than Labor Green's NAT's then that I don't know where this is going, but anyway, basically you're saying that you would like Tony Abbott. I think from that A lot of times when I go to the texts, it gets into auto spell and we end up in all kinds of trouble. Tom says in the US they vote specifically for the president. They vote separately for their local rep in the House of Representatives. Thank you for that. And also a couple of other texts coming through here, Chris, how are you mating? Chris's one's really long. I'm sure you'll be ringing me a little bit later on this morning. I felt I would welcome Tony Abbott back as the PM at a heartbeat. Malcolm Turnbull covered in the role and what he did to Abbott was despicable, said Mary. And that's true, and that's what we were saying before when I was having a chat with Penny was that, you know, a lot of these people aren't in it for the party, They're in it for themselves, and if it's a way for them to somehow work a little chess game for themselves to get what they want, then there's no loyalty to anybody. David, I'm glad you rang. I was talking to John Stanley about how people are spending up to six figures for leg lengthening surgery instead of going to therapy to deal with their height, and you were telling me that you had something that happened to you that made you taller. Is that right, David, good morning.
Speaker 10: I grew over a centimeader. It took it fore operations, but I was already six fot two when I went in, So really, you didn't really need it wasn't really yet. No, it wasn't for heightening. But yeah, I've had eight prosthetic discs put in my back eight and wow, yep, and I've had seven levels feared and I've got two or three loose crews in my back aster we speak. I've had nearly thirty operations on my spine or thirty procedures all up, and God, I think I had traction for about three years.
Speaker 2: Almost what happened in the first place to cause all this, then.
Speaker 10: David, It's called Suman's disease, genetic genetic disease. Both my my father had and my mum had a too, actually or a different kind of carthosis.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and so what happens.
Speaker 10: That's when I got the double dose of imagine what happens with it? Oh, just absolute steering pain. I had my first usion at the age of thirty eight. I was forcibly retired at the age of forty one, so about three years later. Wow, yeah, And then I luckily found a paintsman he could printed well private hospital who those paint surgeons are absolutely next level. My foot has been paralyzed for the last twelve months. I've had no feeling in it.
Speaker 2: Have you got foot drop or is it just paralyzed?
Speaker 10: No, No, it's paralyzed. And I had a DV to it like a blood clot, and everybody was saying it was coming from that, and nobody could sort of work out why it was doing what it was doing, and sure enough, it was actually coming from my back. And I had surgery last Saturday, and I'm already starting to get feeling and moving in my toes again, of course, I can imagine for twelve months.
Speaker 2: So what happened leading up to the age of thirty eight? Did it just get worse and worse and you know, sort of degenerating the spine? Is that what eventually?
Speaker 10: I remember? Yeah, exactly, But I remember you saying a while ago you're talking about growing pains, that taller people have growing pains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people who were taller need to.
Speaker 10: Always get growing pains in the back. When I was younger, and so did my father, and that's what we used to call them growing pains. In fact, when I was eight years old, I had a heat lamp on my back right at night to help with the pain. But yeah, no, it was it was just I started getting shooting pain down my legs, down the back of my buttocks.
Speaker 2: Like a psiatic or something like.
Speaker 10: That, very similar to thots. So they could get up or five. It's one done. I've had most of my lumbard done and two levels up in the neck and there's more to come at certain never ending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can imagine, mate. Well you know, you know, I obviously feel sympathy for you too with a bad back and nothing compared to yours. So okay, at the age of thirty eight, and then did they how many different operations did you have to have to have all eight removed?
Speaker 10: There? Almost just for the fusions and the deer set was done in two goes. Right, But I've had thirty procedures.
Speaker 2: All that's amazing.
Speaker 10: And then most pain clinnic just to keep me going. They go in with a radio frequency machine and they fry my nerve roots in my spine to turn the pain off to my brain. They're amazing. Yeah, these paint versions are really quite amazing what they can do.
Speaker 2: I mean the upside as you mentioned. The upside as you mentioned is that you're taller. You were already time in the.
Speaker 10: First place, six foot two to six foot two point one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two point one. There you go. So is it nearly over now? Are you okay? You're nearly at the end of this road?
Speaker 10: No, Well, I'm just starting to get feeling back in my left leg. It's been so paralyzed for a year now, so I've got a bit of a long run on physio with that. I see the surgeon next Monday, so I'm sure she'll be able to the moon to find out that to get a great job, and it actually worked. But no, this is a lifelong I think you can and there's no cure. And the neurosurgeons have just said, you know, it just looks every quarter four or five years you're going to be needing the major surgery and you just need upkeep with the pain clinic to keep you keep you going.
Speaker 2: And has the surgery advanced in a way that's able to help you more than it was, say thirty years ago. They got like continual advances in this procedure.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, they're now doing spinal fusion with live seats, right, so, and so you don't need to sort of go back and have X ray the day after the surgery de checked the screw and ride placements are correct. They all do that in life live at least dates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And how many MRIs have you had? Hundreds of them?
Speaker 10: Right, I'd have to say at at least twelve probably, yeah, yeah, and at least eight bone scams, nuclear bone scam seats, you name it, I've had it.
Speaker 2: You know, I made a rookie era and the last MRI I had. You know, when they give you the ear plugs to put in your ear. I was too busy. I always like to make a little joke when I go in and say to the people, you know, what movie are we showing in this particular one? What movie? So I was too busy clanning around, and I didn't put the didn't you know, pinch the plugs to put them in my ear properly, so they weren't quite in there. And then they put their headphones over and then you you know that the ear mups over and then you lie in there and as you well know, you can't move an inch otherwise you'll get a refraction and then it looks like something else that you know that may or may not be happening. So I was lying in there and I immediately knew what i'd done. And for anybody that's never had an MRI, it's like it's like being in the worst techno disco you've ever been. It's just it's do do do, but it's extremely about and I lay there I thought, oh, and I can't even move an inch to try and stop this. So it was a total rookie mistake. Well, mate, I totally feel for you. I mean, I want to say that you've taken the attention away from my sore toe. So yeah, so thanks for that. You know, I'm not getting any more sympathy now, not thanks to you.
Speaker 10: You know what happened on my last MRI. What was that talking about MRIs? I forgot to tell them that I was wearing a Norse span pan patch. Oh no, yeah, and it heats up with magnetic like course.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it.
Speaker 10: Delivered four times the dose instantly, and I started clamming up for passing out there and I couldn't stop because I was shaking. I was having a multine overdose. And yeah, they had to stop it and they finally worked out what had happened. Yeah, and I forgot to tell them that I was wearing a pane perch.
Speaker 2: I saw a story and I couldn't believe it in America where somebody had taken a gun into an MRI with them, I don't know what they helped, Yeah, I know, and of course the bloody thing went off. But you know, you know they ask you that really long questionnaire when you get in the MRI. You know, have you had any you know, anything implants, anything, blah blah blah. There's no question. I looked at it and there was no question, says do you have a gun in your underpants?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 2: So, I guess it was kind of hang on, I forgot about that, mate, Good of torture. Keep in touch, David. You doing well, Matete. Thank you. That's David, you know, again taking all of the attention away from my swre. So I can't go on about that anymore. One three, one, eight and three is the phone number text zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three and the email overnights at two GB dot com. It's fourteen to one, coming up to eleven minutes to one. I'm going to have your company this morning. Here's an email from the Stephen We were talking about Tony Abbott and he says Tony was crucified and would be the best person to lead the Liberals. And I agree, maybe that could be on the table. Another text here, this one from Barbara saying that Tony Abbott wasn't the only person that Turnbull destroyed. First it was Peter King because Turnbull wanted the seat of Wentworth. Next came Brendan Nelson because Turnbull wanted to be the party leader. Turnbull has formed, says Barbara. JJ says with a leg lengthening. Surely feel your pulling my leg? Well, no, because if it was me doing it, I'd have a lot more money in the bank. And who else is sending me through text here too? Let me just have a look at these and then I'm going to go back to something that I wanted to play for you before, and it was from somebody who was overseas. Here it is David. He says, I'm listening to you from Type Ai in Taiwan tomorrow. I'll be in Shanghai in China, and I arrived in Shanghai two hours before you start at midnight. You really go around, don't you. You're always on the plane, always off somewhere. This one from Mary, I'd welcome Tony Abbott back in a heartbeat. Turnbull covered the role and what he did to Abbott was despicable. I think I've did that one before. Marian also said where's Bob Menzies when you need him? Mixed said Phil Did I hear you on John Stanley's show before ten pm? Long bit of audio from you back in the nineteen nineties? I know, because you know John has that segment where they play audio from years gone by, and I have to. I should actually go no, hang on, every time you play audio from me from years gone by, you have to pay me fifty dollars. So at least I can get some kind of royalties on that too. A friend of mine caused a stir at the airport when their gun decided. Their son decided to pick a to pack a toy gun in one of the bags without telling them, said Joe. When I was a kid, I had this thing. There was a toy and it was a Secret Agent toy in the Secret Agent doll was Joe ninety. And I had a Joe ninety briefcase with one of the secret compartments, and one of the secret apartments had a plastic gun in it. And I remember going through the security and the security guy actually laughing when he'd opened He'd got, oh, I hope you're not going to shoot anybody with this. I mean I was only about sixty years of age. I can still remember that. Imagine trying to do that these days, though. Would Tony Abbott hold a fire hose? Well, I think he would, and also he'd probably not only because he's also a volunteer, isn't he, So he'd also come out with a bit of soot on him too. Hey, Phil, my local counsel in Sydney is proposing fines if your beIN is out on the curb for more than twenty four hours on Ben Night, says James, I was talking about that before. I mean, come on, there's so many other things going on at the moment. Do you really think it's important to crack down on things like bin's being out on the street too long or they need a permit? There's so much crap, isn't there? With local counselors? There really is? Like I said, the people that run for local council, really they're just there. There are people that have been on a hold too long trying to get on talkback radio and they can't see any clouds outside the yell at, so they go, you know what, I'm going to join my local council and make things difficult for everybody. Marion says, what about Chris for PM? Are careful what you wish for there? Okay, you don't want to. You don't want to have that happen. You don't want to what's the expression wave a red rag in front of a bull?
Speaker 14: Phil?
Speaker 2: I agree with you, Tony Abbot is a very fit, active sixty year old something, so I would vote for him in an instant. He remained very community minded, which is to be admired. Thank you for your text, Jackie, and Paul says Tony Abbott would win in a canter Terry Barnes thinks he's too old. Well, I think he said that it's probably I think Terry's we'll talk to him about that later on this morning. I think he said that maybe he won't have the appetite for it because he's too old. Now, Susan Lee, this is what got me onto It was talking at the National Press Club making an election review, which sounded to me a little bit like an excuse.
Speaker 15: To be honest, these numbers reflect a deep and growing disconnect. We respect to the election outcome with humility, we accept it with contrition, and we must learn from it with conviction. The Australian people need a strong and effective alternative to vote for at the next election. Our first step is to listen so we properly understand how we can improve. Last week, we appointed Prue Goward and Nick Minchin to conduct a route and branch review of the election result.
Speaker 14: Their review will.
Speaker 15: Be frank and fearless, ensuring a thorough and honest assessment of what went wrong and how we can fix it. The review will conclude by the end of the year and it will be made public.
Speaker 14: We can do better, and we will do better.
Speaker 2: Well, that's it in a nutshell. Isn't it really a no disrespect to Susan Lee? And also, as I said, she's really inherited herself forward for the poison chalice. But you know, it sounded like something HR was saying to you when they reviewed your position at the workplace. In my opinion, that's what it sounded like. It sounded like it's you know, what you need is somebody going up there and going, Okay, we were crap, weren't we.
Speaker 5: Boy?
Speaker 2: We were rubbish, weren't we? And what you want us to do is not be rubbish anymore? Well, what are we going to do about that? We're not going to be rubbish anymore. How are we going to do that? Well, let me have a look at the list of the things that you want me to do. You want me to fix defence. Okay, sure, first things first, we're going to fix the defense. Great, tick that off, that's what you want what's the second thing, Well, cost of living's too expensive. Okay, well let's sort that out. If there's a monopoly with supermarkets, we'll sort that out. Third thing, can't afford our house? Okay, well let's try and figure that out. Maybe there's issues with you know, too many people, not enough houses, tradees, don't want to get into the business anymore. Okay, three things. Tick them off. Let's go and fix that up to you next week. You know, if you've probably said that, you'd go, oh, call crikey. They're good, aren't they They're productive. That's the kind of people I'd like to vote for. None of the corporate words, salad speak anymore. Just get to the point, like you know, even Donald Trump would say it, you know, use a couple of profanities. I think what's coming up this morning? And of Brady, the UK correspondent, the host of round Table, will have a catch up with him and talk about the UK report. I read something really interesting that's happening in the UK. I want to run by him. Doctor Carl's not here this morning, but Bianca no Grady is a freelance science journalist and author. I'm going to call her brainy Bianca because I've given her some of your questions. One of them is just absolutely brilliant. What color is a mirror? She says she can answer that. So that's on the way after one, and we've got a really packed show taking us all the way through to five thirty this morning, so I hope you can stay with so much great stuff I want to tell you about this morning that I found out about climate change is going to make cheese taste awful, breath has the same signature as your fingerprints, that's amazing. And China has a mosquito size drone. I'll tell you about all that.
Speaker 1: On TWOGB, four BC and network stations. This is our Australia Overnight with Phil O'Neil, a.
Speaker 2: Couple of days away from July. Here it is Margaret, Brisbane. Twelve degrees at the moment feels like nine bit of rain on the way for Brisbane in Sydney at the moment, nine degrees feels like one. Really, that would have to be the wind that's out there at the moment. So that's the update on what's going on with the weather. Let me get to a couple of these texts as well, and I'm glad that you reminded me to do that, Margaret, but I wouldn't forget because I'm here for you too. Phil. You should announce that Jason Morrison is going to be on the show on the weekend doing the overnight show. I don't know how many of your listeners know that, but they'll be very happy, says Paul. I know that, Paul, because I came into work evening and there was Jason Morrison, who I know and I love Jason. He is one of the smartest men in the room. But he also knows talkback really really well, and he's somebody that you know. I talked to it when I was coming to do talkback a two GB. I said, make give me some advice and he said, don't do it.
Speaker 14: No.
Speaker 2: I didn't say that, but I saw him in the hallway and I said, what are you doing here? And he's filling in for Mike Levy down the track. So he said, I'm going to do some overnights and I said, you mad, are you insane? You know what it does to you right, you know what's going to happen to your body? You know your age fifteen years in a minute. And he said, no, I want to get back into the practice of doing it because I'm going to be filling in for Mike Levy and I want to salk to the listeners overnight and have a chat with him. So I'll be doing that this weekend. So that's excellent, that's brilliant for anybody that likes Jason Morrison this weekend. He'll keep you coming and give him a ring as well. He's he is, you know, talk back radio personified. And this text for the lady who's tagging sitting in for doctor Carl, can you ask a request? And I certainly will, and I'll take your questions. By the way, in just a moment. Our guest host for Doctor Carl is Bianca No Grady, and she's already been given the questions that you sent me on the text, and she's come up with a couple of her own as well. So we'll do that a little bit later on. But you want me to ask her. Can animals get embarrassed? Fantastic? I imagine they would. I imagine they would, because you know, when you've come into the house and the dog's eaten the cake and you go, Fred, did you eat that cake? And it looks all embarrassed, so I think they would, but I don't know. Maybe they just know that they're in trouble. Another one that came in here from Chris. This is how the election to elections are contrived. Phil. I was on the lawn in the north of the Parliament entry protesting the proposed carbon labor tax I was photographed, or I photographed I should say, two males from a get up group who was standing behind Tony Abbott, and they had that ditch the witch, the big poster which from memory, Miss Gillard's labor response was to use it as a weapon, declaring male misogyny. I remember that when that happened. Thanks Chris for sending that text through. I remember when that happened. And the thing is, you can't control what's going on behind you. If somebody's going to stand behind you with a poster like that, you can't weaponize that. If the person just happens to be standing somewhere, or if somebody happens to be walking past a poster that may say something inappropriate, you can't take a photo of them and then put them in the frame and say, well, that pretty much says what that person's all about. And you know anyway besides that, now that was before you know, Ai, I don't. I'm getting to the stage now where I don't believe anything my eyes can see. If I can see it with my own eyes, I don't believe it anymore unless it's actually in physical form in front of me. Otherwise I see AI and I just think, Wow, we've come a long way. But nothing feels real anymore. Phil, It's twelve degrees, but it feels like eight. What is the actual temperature? Well, where are you at the moment? Are you in Britain? Because I don't think I did the eight degrees? In Sydney it's nine and it feels like one for that person that was sending that text through, and the Brisbane one was twelve, but it feels like nine. Let me get to Jason in a sec. But let's just catch up on a couple of things that are going on in the news before we go to n de Brady, and then we have our first of the Doctor Carle questions. A series of new satellite images have painted a clearer picture of what damage was inflicted on the Iranian nuclear development sites after they were struck by the B two bombers. Carrying the bunker buster bombs, and it's being questioned as to whether or not the strikes actually obliterated the site. And this report is saying that it actually probably only set back Iran's capacity to develop nuclear weapons by a few months. How do you think Donald Trump feels about that? Well, he is absolutely furious. He's a q CNN and the New York Times of attempting to demean one of the most successful military strikes in history. Those are his words after the outlets reported leaked intelligence found that the US sites on Iran left most of its nuclear infrastructure intact, he said on his truth social with all caps. Of course, if you want to make a point, you've got to have everything in all caps. This is what he said. Fake news CNN, together with the failing New York Times, have teamed up in an attempt to demean one of the most successful military strikes in history. The nuclear strikes in Iran are completely destroyed, he wrote. While also in the Netherlands of the NATO summit, he said both the Times, as in the New York Times and CNN are getting slammed by the public, So he's not happy about that. Good news. For over one hundred and eighteen Australians airlifted out of Tel Aviv by the Royal Australian Air Force. And congratulations again to the Royal Australian Air Force for helping out. I mean, obviously they did that at the year behest of the Prime Minister, but the in fact Anthony Albaniz he said, you know, this is great news. We always prioritize the safety of Australians. A lot of people stuck. I think the Iran airspace remains closed, may reopen two o'clock GMT their time, so that's today, but yesterday in their time, of course, there's not a lot of a lot of flights out of it. Ryan at the moment, I think I saw that Aaron Molan was trapped somewhere in Israel, so why if you manage to get out. We were a bit concerned about oil prices. Well they've fallen, stock markets have jumped as the fragile sees fire between Iran and Israel holds, and that's good. There was a certain overnight presenter whose name is Phil, who said the other day, the other day, just before this, make sure you fill up your petrol tank. Well, that person whose name is phil who was doing the overnight show, was absolutely wrong about that. The US deploys its most advanced aircraft carrier towards the Middle East. That's the USS Gerald R Ford with a carrier strike group that will join a couple of others that are already there too, the USS Carl Vincent and the USS Nimits. So they are around that particular area and certainly showing a show of force. As Donald Trump says, he's not going to put up with any more nonsense. Iran thought that they would have an ally in Vladimir Russian Russian President Vladimir Putin, turns out he left them hanging, gave them a bit of a cold shoulder. And also Pakistan has said that Donald Trump has blood on his hands over the Nobel Peace Prize. Fura, you know that Pakistani opposition leader nominated Donald Trump, and I think it was in fact, quite a few people in parliament there nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize. Now they're saying since the US strikes on nuclear sites in Iran, he no longer deserves it. And one more, and I'm going to talk about this later on this morning with Skiv, who is our cyber expert. US officials and private experts are warning that Iran may retaliate against the United States by a range of cyber attacks. So I want to find out how good their cyber attacks are, whether or not they have any kind of capability that can weakness. Skeev Stevens is our expert. Talk to him a little bit later on. Let's get to Jason. How are you made house hospital this morning? How are you feeling, buddy?
Speaker 13: Oh, yeah, as good as I can be.
Speaker 2: Oh, you sound a bit backwards, You sound a bit down? Are you okay?
Speaker 13: They'd rather be at home. But of courbviously, I haven't got the strength in the legs at the moment, so so until I get that strength back in the legs properly, I'm still using a walker at the moment, but I'm kicking all the all the goals plus a little bit more than the physios are wanting me to do.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 13: So almost with the doctors and the physios at the moment I said, I said, they said, what's your goal? The other day I said, I want to be out of here with them within a month.
Speaker 2: And you'll do that too. And for the people that don't know Jason's been in hospital. He was in north Shore, has now gone off to Hornsby. He's had some major surgeries. Ringing us every night because we want to make sure that he's okay. When you came on, it sounded like you might have gone backwards a bit. But you're okay, aren't you.
Speaker 13: No, No, I just had a bit of water and just had it to be harned.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 13: No, no, I'm definitely fine.
Speaker 2: Good. How's the rehabit going?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, no, it's good. I'm kicking all the gold. So it's about one hundred and twenty meters to the gym. I'm walking down there and walking back like it's hard work. It's sore, like I said, Like I said to you before, when I had the open heart surgery back in twenty and eighteen, I was, I think, on the table for nine hours and then I woke up. And when I woke up until the day or so later in ICU with all these cords hanging over me in the nurse slapping me telling me not to use my elbows to raise up because they just put the wire in and they put my thing my chest back together and that, and then the next day they had me up sitting in the chair next to the bed. And the day after that they had me walking down, walking down the corridoro. But but this time, this time, nobody, like I said to you, nobody ever told me because it is it the amount of time that I was off my feet for Like as I said, after the surgery, I slept for five days and then it was another it was another two weeks before I actually the vigil would actually help me get out of bed and start to do some walking. And I just then that was it raw, not sure. And then now that I'm at Hornsby, I'm just kicking the goals, mate, that's all.
Speaker 10: That's all.
Speaker 13: It's all I can.
Speaker 2: Do that, and it's good. Isn't it crazy how heavy your legs can be when you haven't used them for a while.
Speaker 13: It's just like a couple of the other problem is with my diabetes. I've actually got the fluid on my legs, so that doesn't help either. And I can I do dialysis three times a week, but it's it's coming off. But but I was on osen peak because if I'm if I'm ever going to kidney transplant in the future, I need to be around about eighty k i's and I'm most probably going to about ninety one at the moment. I think ninety one, don't ninety three? Ninety one yesterday after the dialysis.
Speaker 2: Well that's good, so.
Speaker 13: I'm sitting on that. So but they've stopped the ozen peak before the surgery, yeah, and they haven't put me back on it. So I brought it up with the doctors here today and she goes, oh, osn peak's not good for your kidneys, And I said, well, I spoke to my kidney specialist who's that north Shore, and I spoke to him about him, and he said, let's wait a couple of months and then we'll kick it off. And then a couple of months later we talked to her again. He said, yeah, let's kick it off. And I was at the stage, you know how you your stomach might have a bit of weait on, but the sides of it come in and face down, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: Yeah, now all that side stuff.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what, though, there's some women in the Eastern suburbs are really angry that you're using that as ZMPE.
Speaker 13: You know, well, I'm allowed to it.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. That's no excuse. You know, they're going to go to the chemist now and get told they can't have the ezembic. It's you. They're going to be angry at.
Speaker 13: Oh that's fine, Bring it on, bring it on.
Speaker 2: Well, mate, you're doing well. Let's talk again tomorrow night and I'm glad and let's keep so let's make a date for this. Then you're going to get out of hospital. When what day are we looking at?
Speaker 5: Here?
Speaker 2: Do you want?
Speaker 13: Well, I'm saying within four weeks i've been here. This will be week two, okay, week three, week four, so so I'm saying four weeks, maybe five weeks on the outside.
Speaker 2: So that's that's that's aim for the twenty fourth, and we're all going to be behind you for you walking out twenty fourth of July. My friend, I'm going to say, I've got a text by the way for you from David who says everyone in Taiwan and China are wishing you a speedy recovery. He's listening there.
Speaker 13: Tell David, I said, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: All right, mate, we'll listen just before you go.
Speaker 13: What are we doing in Australia? I mean, I mean you can obviously tell I didn't vote.
Speaker 16: Bit, what is it?
Speaker 13: What is Albo doing? He won't stand up to he won't stand up to anybody. He's actually he's his weak as the Week's Well. I was going to say week as a kid a cat, but cats are not week.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You've been on your back for four months and you've done more work than he's done.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Well, I mean listen, listen when I when I because when I first came out of the camera and I started to wake up, my head was still all over the place from being on the drugs and being under and that and having the tube down my throat and all that, So my head.
Speaker 16: Was all over the place.
Speaker 13: And I actually thought it was twenty twenty eight. It was the twenty eighth of the month till I came out, Yeah, last month, And I actually.
Speaker 12: Thought it was so.
Speaker 13: And I was listening to the radio and some of the formats had changed, and I said, oh, on the second now, I just invoted in how can we have a liberal how can we have a liberal government?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, and you turn on the radio, thought, Craiky, they've still got phill on the overnight show. He hasn't got any better mate, Jason.
Speaker 13: No, no, no, not at all, not at all. It's just it was very confusing. So I mean, I mean, listen, I mean they were already in enough edit as it is. So I don't know why Albo just doesn't bite the bullet and spend the five percent on defense. And I think that should bring back in nashows because half of our youth are sitting around doing nothing and then they're getting paid for it by our government. So I think that should bring in NA shows and that'll help bring up our our our crews and stuff like that, and and hopefully some people will go on to make I'm going to make a career out of it. Yeah, I mean, that's it, and that's that's the only way I can see that they would get enough people in is doing nashows. But they're they're two weeks. They're just two week And I mean, listen, I never voted for Tony Abbott, but I was proud to have him as my crime in the stuff.
Speaker 2: There's a there's another mate, you take care of yourself. I'm going to get to the UK.
Speaker 13: Mate, just before you go, just ender price for prime in So that's all I can say.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, you.
Speaker 13: Won't put up with any crap from them.
Speaker 2: Let's talk tomorrow, Jason. I've gotta go. I'm got to get to the UK. Mate, Let's talk tomorrow. Take care of yourself, all right, do.
Speaker 13: Me your favorite sello the end of fine.
Speaker 2: I will. I'm going to have a chat with him in just a moment. Thank you so much. That's our mate, Jason. Who will talk to you tomorrow. And if you want to text him and give him some wishes you can zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three off to enter in the UK after this at twenty two past one, twenty five minutes past one. By the way, David, who I spoke to about the surgery on the back, just sent me an email with some of the work that he's had done to some of these scars. He's got some of the bruising Mate. That looks pretty pretty interesting, pretty impressive there too. And I say that because I know you only sent that to me because you're trying to show me that your bruises and scars and surgery look worse than my toe. That's the only reason for it. You even mentioned that. But appreciate that, and it's good to talk to you. To David, and also Joe just sent me a textco and the satellite photos look pretty convincing to me. And the whole place was obliterated. Talking about the story with the Bunker Busters, which is being debunked by The New York Times NCNN, but Joe says these strikes should qualify Trump for the Nobel Prisurprise if they reduced the threat of nuclear conflict in the Middle East without targeting civilians. It's hard tonight because it went so far down into the ground too. You know, I think you'd have to be down there or have a camera down there to have any accurate idea of whether or not it was successful. But you know, it's certainly stopped the issues for the time being. Let's get to the UK twenty six past.
Speaker 1: One the UK Report.
Speaker 2: Hello, and how is it? Is it warm? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Do you know what, Phil, it's a little bit humid. We are mid afternoon here. What is it coming up? Half past four in the afternoon Wednesday. It's humid. It's Iran earlier on and it was quite sunny then. But the heat way we had last week has subsided. We touched Turkey celsius.
Speaker 5: Life, I know, thirty degrees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was it was really enjoyab all. I have to say, long time coming, of course, but what are we twenty six in London, twenty four right now here in Oxfordshire?
Speaker 2: It feels about one degree in Sydney, so you know we're taking that on a couple of things I wanted to talk to you about, but just one that came up a moment ago on Sky News. The UK is to expand nuclear deterrent, getting some new fighter jets. I noticed. Let's just come up. I don't know how across that you are.
Speaker 4: Yes, So this is a big deal. Obviously, there's a NATO summat going on right now in the Hague in the Netherlands, and President Trump is there and Keir Starmer clearly wants to be very very good friends with this American administration under Donald Trump. So the UK is going to spend some money on defense. What they're doing is getting F thirty five A fighter jets. They're capable of carrying nuclear missiles, and as it stands right now, the UK is only in a position to fire them from submarines. What they want to do is give themselves more capacity and a greater variety of their arsenal and I think all of this is a nudge and a wink and a nod towards Russia and just flexing the muscles and saying to putin you know, don't even think about pushing us.
Speaker 2: Well, at least your government's doing something about your defense, unlike here, you know, at least you're actually standing up and buying yourself some equipment. Let's talk about your government. Sakiah Stama. The UK Prime Minister is bringing forward the Trump state visit to the UK in September. But the King Charles is not happy about this.
Speaker 4: I believe no, not at all. So again this is cozying up the Trump. Trump is in Europe. Starmer wants to be the European leader who has the best relationship with Trump and this American administration. So we're already seeing the military side and the deals and the money, as I just told you about the fighter jets. What we're also hearing today is that this state visit for Donald Trump will happen this September.
Speaker 17: Now.
Speaker 4: When it was announced earlier in the year, I was told by Royal journalists and they go to briefings regularly with Palace officials, I was told this would be twenty twenty six, if not twenty seven, that is how long ahead they were planning it. And Charles's view was that yes, President Trump could come visit Scotland at some point in our autumn September October, for maybe a lunch in bal Moral. They could sit down, have a chat and start planning things that Trump would be interested in doing in twenty twenty six or twenty seven. And now we're hearing from Starmar that it's being brought forward and Trump will come on his unprecedented second state visit for a US president in September. So the government is going directly against the King's wishes. And you do wonder, you know, is that going to put Charles in a bad mood? You know, he probably thought he had twelve months to plan and think of interesting things and places to take Trump, and now it's happening in a matter of weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's probably Charles, he's got too many other things. He's probably trying to work too many other fires he's trying to put out at the moment too. But there you go. Before we talk about Sport, I saw this story and I wanted to talk to you about it. The British public must actively prepare for war on UK soil. According to a chilling government document. Newly published National Security Strategy said the years ahead will test the nation with a World War two style spirit needed to deal with the growing threats. Where's Winston Churchill when you need him? Have you been made aware of this? Were you aware of this document?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yes, So Look there's a few things on this film. First of all, you've got a lot of military people who aren't happy at the level of defense spending at the moment. They want the UK to get the five percent of GDP as quickly as possible. Starmar and the rest of natof come out today and said yep, we'll get to five percent both by twenty thirty five. A lot of military chiefs and people embedded in the defense system, they're coming out and saying, well, look, Putin will not stop at Ukraine. He will keep going and we need to be prepared. So what you're seeing is a lot of these reports emerging with people clearly with the vested interest in getting more money spent on defense, saber rattling and just saying a phraser. Heard the other day someone in Europe, a leader said, you know, either spend five percent or start learning Russian. That was the phrase that was used. So clearly they're very worried about the threat from Putin's Russia. And you've got to kind of read into it that a lot of these defense bosses want more money spent, and this kind of rhetoric is all aimed at pushing political leaders to dig deeper financially.
Speaker 2: And I think that powerphrase is something that goes back to the days of Dad Zama. You've been at defend your country. He'll end up having this pick German.
Speaker 4: Here we go, there you go.
Speaker 2: All right, and let's talk about one more thing. Andy Murray, who's had a really relationship with the English, because he's going to get his own statue at Wimbledon for the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary in two years. And I'd say that because being English, you know, whenever Andy Murray did well, it was come on, Andy, you've you know, you're great. And then of course when he didn't do well, everyone would go wells Scottish, you know.
Speaker 4: So he is going to get his own statue at Wimbledon, and I'm really happy for him. I have no problem with Andy Murray whatsoever. I think him, his brother, his mother, they have done so much for sport in this country. I mean you think he comes from a town called Dunblane in Scotland. Yeah, not renowned as a sporting hub until the Murray's came along. A terrible, terrible thing happened there in ninety five ninety six when there was a school shooting which changed gun law forever in the United Kingdom. Andy Murray and his brother were actually in that school on that day and he went off. His mum, Judy, took him to Spain into the He's kind of elite tennis coaching academies. His brother has had a wonderful career as a doubles player. He has won titles, and Andy has won US Open, and he's won Wimbledon twice, and he won two Olympic gold medals. And yes, he gets some criticism for people saying, oh, he didn't win as much as Nadal and Federer and Djokovic. I think he was really unlucky to live in the era of those three guys. And he still came out with three slams and two Olympic gold medals. So Wimbledon will celebrate it's one hundred and fiftieth anniversary in twenty twenty seven, and the plan is that Andy Murray will get his own statue at Wimbledon to mark the occasion. Good luck to him.
Speaker 2: I absolutely agree, although again it goes back to being English and him not winning, and then we go, well, you know, he's Scottish. We have a similar relationship with anybody from New Zealand, like Russell Crowe. You know, we love Russell and he's Australian, unless, of course, he loses the Oscar. Then we go, well, you know, he's not actually Australian, he's from New Zealand.
Speaker 4: Oh look, Andy made one little stupid gag on radio during a soccer tournament years ago. I remember, I think he was talking with Tim Henman. Tim Henman, of course famously English, and he's approded scott and someone said to him who will you be cheering for at this World Cup and he flippantly jokingly said anyone but England and that gets played over and over and he's got a sense to humor. He can't win, but I personally I love the guy. I absolutely think he is brilliant and I can't wait to see what he does next.
Speaker 2: We love that about you too, when we can't wait to talk to you next week. In the meantime, stay hydrated and don't forget to stretch the hemmies before you hit the right friend, Phil, thank you and the Brady there are UK Correspondent. I've got a text here that just came through a moment ago from Michael who said, can you tell me the score between Australia and West Indies because I can't get it and I can't receive it on the app. And Chris just rang me from the sorry, I should say, ran in from the studio next door from the Wheels of Steel and he gave me the score and do you think I can find it now? In front of me? He gave me put it in my hand. So if anybody knows what or how he can get involved in that by watching that on the app or seeing it on the app, please you know, get in touch now Texas on zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. Here it is so Australia versus West Indies first innings Australia forty one for three yet to bat. I don't know much about cricket, so I hope, I said, that right. Australia forty one for three yet to bat first Test first innings. So if you want to give me any more updates on that, by all means do But I think that the deal is that with Michael, he wants to find how he can get it on an app. Can you help him out? Zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three twenty five to two. I can't wait to find out the answers to some of your great questions for doctor Carl and clever bi anchor. Braandy Biancher is sitting in next She'll have a guar at those for you. Twenty one to two. Thanks Viv. You can get the cricket on ESPN, Disney and KO now instead of doctor carb This warning answering your questions, It's Biancer, No Grady, Do I call you doctor Biancher?
Speaker 12: Ah kay if you like.
Speaker 17: It's not technically my title, but I'm happy to take it.
Speaker 2: What about brainy bi anchor?
Speaker 12: Yes, good at improvising, Bianca might work you go.
Speaker 2: Let's get to some of these questions and I love them. This one from Paul. When you're standing on the shoreline, how far away is the horizon with the curvature of the Earth.
Speaker 17: So the answer to this is both simple and complicated. So it's simple because it's actually relatively easy to work this out, essentially just a mathematical formula. It uses Pythagris's theorem, and essentially it takes into account your height and the diameter of the Earth, but the actual mass of that is in terms of and I say this because I am not a mathematically inclined person, but I'll try and talk you through it. So essentially, if you imagine that you've got a triangle where one side of the triangle is a distance from let's say you're eyes right down to the center of the Earth. The other side of the triangle is the distance from the horizon all the way to the center of the Earth.
Speaker 12: And then the.
Speaker 17: Third side of the triangle is the line from your eyes to that point on the horizon. So you're creating a kind of a triangle that you can then measure. Now, if you use Pythagris's theorem, you can actually then work out because you know how long, we know what the diameter of the Earth is, and we know what our own height is, so we can work out the length of two sides of the triangle and then you can use Pythagrisi's theorem, which I'm not going to do live on air because I'm not a mathematically kind person, but you can then relatively easily use that to work out how long the line is then from your eyes to the horizon. Or you can cheat and there is actually a website online where you can enter your height or the height the altitude that you're at, and then it will tell you how far it is to the horizon. So in my case, I'm about one point five meters home. I think it might be one point six I'm not sure. So if I was standing at sea level, like on a beach, and I was looking over to the horizon, it would be about four point three seven kilometers away.
Speaker 12: If you're a bit taller, obviously it's a little bit further.
Speaker 17: And then if you're in an aeroplane, so let's say you're flying in ten kilometers above the Earth's surface, you will be able to see three hundred and fifty seven kilometers to the horizon, and obviously the further up.
Speaker 12: You go, the further out you can see.
Speaker 2: Okay, I just want to pick up on one thing though, Paul said, Curvature of the Earth obviously not realizing that the Earth is in fact flat.
Speaker 17: Well, that would make the calculations a lot simpler if.
Speaker 2: That throws everything easily into the bucket. Here's a question from Sue. What's the smallest possible unit of time?
Speaker 17: This is a great question because you know, we initially might think, oh, it's like a microsecond or a pico second, or some kind of weird thing that you could measure on the stopwatch.
Speaker 12: But actually we're getting down.
Speaker 17: Into the realm of the quantum with this because the smallest unit of time that can in theory be measured is actually called.
Speaker 12: The Plank time.
Speaker 17: Brilliant and weird stuff happens at Plank time, so it's the Plank time. So it's p L A N c K. So this is names after Max Plank, who was a German theoretical physicist, and he actually discovered energy quanta, the kind of packet parcels of energy in the earlier nineteen hundreds, won him the Nobel Prize in Physics in nineteen eighteen. So Plank time is defined as the amount of time it takes a photon of light. So a particle of light which is traveling at the speed of light as they do, it's a time it takes to cross the distance of one plank length. So what is a plank length. Plank length is one point six times ten to the minus thirty five meters, So I kind of even give you a comparison of how many plank lengths there are in a you know, with the human hair.
Speaker 12: It's so infinitesimly tiny.
Speaker 17: And so the amount of time that it takes for light to cross a plank length is five point thirty nine times ten to the minus forty four seconds. And some really weird stuff happens in the kind of plank length and plank time. So this is essentially where gravity, what we understand as the behavior of gravity, doesn't kind of work. And it's like this is where I don't know if you've ever heard, it's idear of a theory of everything, and it's this kind of quest in theoretical physics to try and combine general relativity, which is, you know, things that are affected by gravity, with quantum mechanics, which is things that are essentially below you know, at this level, and trying there's always this quest to try and unite those two things so that it all makes sense. One great, big, beautiful theory, and so far physicists haven't quite managed to do it. So yeah, plank time and plank length is the smallest measurable distance and unit of time.
Speaker 2: You're so clever. And you know what, because I'm the most annoying person anybody would ever meet. Just ask the listeners. They'll tell you that I'm going to actually respond to people when they say I'll be there in a sec I'll go yep. And what's that in plank time?
Speaker 12: You know one day you'll do that. And if it's a theoretical physicist, they're going to give you many.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then I really look like an idiot. What more from Steve? Steve says what color is the surface of a mirror?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 12: This was an interesting one.
Speaker 17: So I guess when we're talking about the actual surface of a mirror, there's kind of two bits there. So there's the surface, which is the glass that forms I guess what you think of as the front part of a mirror. But then the back part of the mirror is the silvery reflective layer. So if we say the silvery reflective layer, well, I guess it's a sort of a silvery color in and of itself, but then it's also reflecting whatever is in front of it.
Speaker 12: So what we see is.
Speaker 17: That color is going to be whatever it is that we're seeing reflected. But the glass is an interesting one because we think of glass as being clear, and for the most part, what we see out of you know, a typical glass window like the one I'm looking out now, it's clear. We don't really see any tint in it. But real glass does actually have a slight greenish tint, and that's because there's a small amount of iron oxide that's in the sand that's used to make what we think of as normal glass. So the short answer would be the surface of that mirror would be a very very very faint greenish tint. So if you think of about a really thick pane of glass, if you're able, if you look at it side on, sometimes if you see like a glass piece of glass looking like a shower of cubicle, you can look at it side on and you can see it's a little bit greenish. So that's the sort of color if you're going to be really technical, looks clear, but in fact there's a bit of green in it.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad we're able to talk about this morning. And when I go in to get some paint to paint the bathroom, that's what I'm going to ask for. I want ten to mirror green.
Speaker 17: Yeah, it'd be very tricky to find that one. I think it's a very faint color.
Speaker 2: Hang around there for a sec because we want to talk about why dog walking is dangerous and killer whales that are making tools ten to too. Sitting in for doctor Carl guest host Bianca no Grady, So tell us this, why is dog walking so dangerous?
Speaker 17: Well, so I'm a dog person, so I need to counter this by saying, first of all, dog walking is.
Speaker 12: Very good for your health.
Speaker 17: It gets you out and it's a lot of physical activity and that we should all be doing this. So let's just put that kind of qualifyer out first. But there is also some risk involving involved in dog walking. And this is actually some research that came out of the UK and they found that the annual cost of injuries from dog walking is estimated to be about fifty million dollars in Australian each year. Yeah, so, and look, there's no reason to think that the UK would be particularly different to Australia. And what they're looking specifically at or what seems to be the most common form of injuries, injuries to wrists and hands and fingers. So I don't know if you're a dog on a field, but.
Speaker 2: I had dogs dog.
Speaker 17: You know, they could be pretty enthusiastic. It depends on how well they're trained.
Speaker 12: But if you've got a big, heavy set labrador.
Speaker 17: That really likes just sniffing and dragging you off into every direction, that can actually put a lot of strain on wrists and fingers and arms and elbows. And so when they were looking at these studies, they found that about one in I mean, it's twenty two percent of the injuries were soft tissue injuries, So people were getting sprains of their wrist. But also it goes even to something like kind of tendon itis, like almost like a form of tennis elbow.
Speaker 12: Because you're constantly, especially.
Speaker 17: If you're walking a dog, you know, for an hour or half an hour every day, that can actually build up a lot of strain on muscles and tens that perhaps otherwise aren't used in that fashion. But then another risk was actually also fractures. You know, if you think you're kind of walking along and maybe you've got the lead looped around your wrist, and then suddenly your dog kind of jerks off in an unexpected direction. That can actually be enough force to cause a fracture of I mean, there's lots of delicate bones in our hands and wrists, and I mean what was interesting with this was that when they were looking at the injuries, about three quarters of them were in women.
Speaker 12: Maybe that's because women might be more likely.
Speaker 17: To walk the dog, who knows, But particularly in older women, this was a problem.
Speaker 12: And that's a little bit of a clue to what might be going on here for some of these injuries.
Speaker 17: Because older women, particularly if the postmenopausal, they might have lower bone density.
Speaker 12: Their bones are a little.
Speaker 17: Bit more kind of fragile and brittle, maybe they've got osteoporosis, and it makes them much more vulnerable to breaking a bone from something, you know, like a you know, the lead being kind of jerked off to one side might be fine if you're a healthy eighteen year old, but when you're sixty, that can actually be quite.
Speaker 12: A serious break.
Speaker 17: And I mean the other thing as well is also sometimes people get pulled over by their dog if the dog's a particular spotted a cat or something, and people were tripping over the leash sometimes, you know, if a dog kind of runs around you, or if you're walking two dogs at the same time and trip over the dog sometimes.
Speaker 12: So there were all sorts.
Speaker 17: Of injuries, but predominantly they're really about sort of hands and wrists and finger injuries. So it's you know, it's one of those things to just be aware of that, particularly as you get older and you might be a little bit less steady on your feet as well. That walking the dog, you kind of got to take extra care just to look at how you're holding the lead and also how well you trained your dog.
Speaker 2: Is fantastic. I'm going to take some calls on this. One three one seven three. Tell me about how you injured yourself walking your dog. This is brilliant in the history of radio topics. Tell me about your dog walking injury. One three, one eight seven three. On that, let's talk about killer whales off the coast of North America. Spotted making tools, what hammers, chisels, that kind of them.
Speaker 17: Yeah, we always think of tools as being Yeah, I mean, like tool use is not uncommon amongst animals. I mean, there's so much evidence of crows using them. And obviously we know a lot about chimpanzees using tools, but this is one of the first times that tool use has actually been reported in marine mammals. And what I love about this is because they were using it for grooming. So it was this group of killer whales living kind of the Pacific, just off British Columbia and Washington, and they found they spotted them picking or kind of breaking the ends off bull kelp, so there's really big, long, thick strands of bull kelp, and then they would press these pieces of kelp against a partner, you know, a partner another whale and then basically roll along, so roll the kelp between their bodies, back and forward for long periods of time. And they were trying to understand why they were doing this, and so they were kind of looking for what might explain it. The first thing they saw was that the whales were more likely to groom other whales that were closely related or of a similar age. So that suggests there's a social dimension to this. This is you know that there's I guess a social purpose to it. But then the other interesting thing was they found that it seemed to be more common with whales that had more kind of molting skin or dead skin on their backs and on their sides. So that points to there being an actual function of this. It's not just kind of, you know, giving someone a little bit of a backscratch because it feels good. This is actually there's a kind of a beauty. They're basically giving each other a seaweed wrap, you know, taking rid of that, getting rid of that dead.
Speaker 12: Skin, having a good scratch, making friends. But it's the first time it's been seeing you in marine mammals.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting. Thank you so much. I feel so much smarter. I especially want to get back to you next week with the results of dog walking injuries. Can you join us again next week?
Speaker 12: Indeed?
Speaker 2: Okay, so give me a ring right now. One three one eight seven three. Great to talk to you, Bianco, no grady sitting in for doctor Carl. Have you ever injured yourself walking your dog? One three one eight seven three and text me some questions for next week as well. Zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. It's funny because when Bianca was saying that, both Chris who's in the other studio on the wheels of Steel, and Dale, who's in the of course the front studio here. Both said they know somebody who've injured their fingers, both female walking their dog. Both of the occasions sounded really nasty, so it seems to be a pretty common thing. What about you, Have you ever injured yourself walking your dog? One three one eight seven three is my number? Have you ever injured yourself walking your dog? I think that might be the greatest question I've ever asked on the radio. One three one eight seven three is the phone number. And also we'll get to some of your texts for the questions for Bianca next week. But in the meantime, let's get your two o'clock news update.
Speaker 1: Two GB, four BC and network stations. This is our Australia Overnight with Phil O'Neill.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that we're so close to July already. You know, we're going to blink and then Christmas will be here. If you notice that as you get older, the years seem to get shorter, and all of a sudden, it's always Christmas. It just seems so many times. I remember when I was a kid, you used to just wait for Christmas all year round, and it felt like it took forever. Now it just seems like you blink an eye and then Christmas is here again. And I always think about the period of Christmas because it's always a time where it's just madness, that week of madness between Christmas and New Year's Eve, where you know, if you need a plumber, you're in no man's land. Got oh, I forgot to do it, sorry, Margaret twelve to at the moment in Brisbane, but it feels like nine degrees, and the forecast in Sydney at the moment it is eight degrees, but it feels like one. So that's pretty cool everywhere as you can imagine. Hey, Chris, how are you this morning? Mate? We went to go to you, Chris. Who will you know is our regular Chris? Chris's phones off? Are you okay? Mate? Chris? Turn your phone back on, buddy, because you know we do want to talk to you. I've got a few texts that came through, a few questions too, for Bianca who was sitting in for doctor carm this week. Bianca O'Grady, the freelance science journalist and author, and she'll be back next week as well. That's fantastic all those stories about people that have injured themselves. Mean, it's not fantastic, but it's incredible, isn't it. I think that people have injured themselves by walking their dog, and that seems to be a thing too. Have you ever injured yourself by walking your dog? One three one eight seven three or on the text zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three two it's the Thursday Morning Live Lounge. Who have we got playing this morning? Well, I'll give you a clue. It is somebody that has sung a song that's not his song. Funnily enough, as a solo artist, that's made that his biggest hit single. So who is he and what's the song going to be? I think I've given away enough clues, but we'll get that in the moment. And it's going to be the first live Thursday Morning Live Lounge that features a piano or at least a keyboard. So that's coming up for you very soon. Nine minutes past two, let me get a couple of these texts and emails. Jason just said to me a JJ rather filled with the Piagoratha's the theorem. See, I can't even say it, and yet you know it. He said, what a beautiful thing. I used it to build right angles in my ex's kitchen. You're so clever JJ.
Speaker 14: Me.
Speaker 2: On the other hand, I used to do carpentry at school and I was rubbish. I was rubbish at everything at school. That's why I ended up working at two o'clock in the morning. But we used to do carpentry. And when it first started, this was about I think proper year nine. I think we had to start off in our carpentry class by making a sort of a coffee coaster. So I wanted to make a coffee coaster for my mum. And by the time it actually got this coffee coaster made was the end of term and the rest of the kids in the class had moved on to making cabinets for their mom and their parents, you know, like cabinets with doors that slide and you know bits of panes of glass, you know, using huge things that were you know, six seven foot tall. And I was still working on this coaster, coffee coaster for my mum, which.
Speaker 10: Was just.
Speaker 2: It was just embarrassing. I mean, she was grateful for it. I mean she you know, she put on the smile, said, oh, thank you, Philip. That's so well done, and I knew she was disappointed in me. But anyway, Jason says, there's no need for playing time as a measure of time. It will always be tomorrow will be. That's quite clever. Also, hey, this is from David. Hey David, can you confirm that Jason will be on Overnight on four BC this weekend? Yes, he will. Our good friend Jason Morrison who's getting his eye in, getting some practice in. I run into him in the corridor on the way in and he said, man, I'm going to do some shows on two GB four PC and I said great, and he said, I'm going to be doing the overnights this weekend. And I said to him, are you insane? Are you crazy? Why would you do that to yourself and to your body? And he said, because he wants to get back into the practice of speaking to you the listeners. And he's great. I mean, he really is how a proper talkback person should sound. I should probably take more attention to it so you'll be able to hear him this weekend and that'd be absolutely brilliant. Pete at Lithgow says I support Tony Abbott for the PM campaign with Jacenter as his deputy. A couple of questions that are coming through for next week for asked doctor Carl with Bianca sitting in, and these are always so clever. This one's from Michael, is it true that the tide never rises or falls? I'm going to put that into the running for it and have a listen to these genius questions. I don't know how how you came up with this, Steve, but this is brilliant. How do birds navigate the skies while migrating? Amazing? This one's from Alex who said, is it true there's a trillion dollars worth of platinum on the moon? Brilliant? And this one from Julie is it true that bats don't get cancer? And could that be a big deal for humans? Again? Just genius, so clever. Keep your text coming through with your questions for next week. Zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three on the phone one three one eight seven three. So the live lounge coming up at a moment, a really nice, really great acoustic of a song that you know really really well. And Leith van Onslin in a moment too. We were trying to get hold of you, Chris, and then you were there and then we couldn't get a hold of you, and we rang you back and then your phone wasn't on. Were you ringing somebody else?
Speaker 6: No? No, no, I don't know what I'm happened. I was waiting for the call. I got some silly miss after you're talking about Chris, I'm saying you're talking about ling or some other Chris. Look, got my phone. I missed the call. Don't ask me why. I'll look at it again tomorrow and see what it was. No reason on my There was no nothing that I've done. I don't know what that's.
Speaker 2: All right, don't worry. It's cool.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 6: What it is is technology is good and it works, but it can also be very very bad when it doesn't.
Speaker 2: If we didn't have the phone, Chris, we wouldn't know what was going on in the world, and you wouldn't be able to tell us. So thank goodness we've got that device.
Speaker 6: Well, I'll tell you what, I wouldn't mind even if I had the old diotype and run you on that. To put it together that way, I really don't care about about Modern technology can go a bit too far, and I think that Look, I'm not against technology, but in some aspect. It's not going to control my life. There's a lot you can do on it, which is good. But when it goes down, if they'll lead you in all sports of trouble.
Speaker 2: Let me say this, Chris, nobody is going to control your life. My friend. What's on your mind this morning.
Speaker 6: It's just regarding Jason. Good to hear he is still up and doing good, and I just wanted to give him some encouragement.
Speaker 16: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I can't speak from experience. It's just my general thoughts are he's going to have his good days and he's going to have his bad days as long as he stays butstant his goal to get better, to get over this. Then at the end of his day, well it will come back.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Well he's only doing two shows over the weekend and yeah, I mean he's a professional broadcaster, so but he wants to have, you know, some chats, So make sure you bring him up to wrong Jason.
Speaker 6: I'm talking about the Jason.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jason, I'm sorry, mate, Jason, who's in hospital. Yeah, you're right, good days, bad days.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you what what he said about Tony Abbott, Yes, what he said about Julia Gillo ditch the bitch, I mean she used that. I'm just wondering whether that has grown in the context context.
Speaker 2: Of yeah it was. It was by the way, I hate to interrupt, it was ditch the witch. That was the sign that was being held up behind her, and that was that was.
Speaker 6: But look, for me, I'm just wondering whether that's growing the gender divide. They're just looking for anything to grow it, and I just want us to get back to who were intended to be. If we're males were males, if we're females were females. I've got no I don't have any appetite for these gender gender movements. And what did I have here but have something about elbow? Oh yeah, Look Tony Abbott, I thought would have made I would have liked to see a bit more of him. I didn't like what Malcolm Turnbull did to him. He didn't like when he got bitched. I can't imagine Malcolm Turble winning that election. As a matter of fact, I think Malcolm Turble somehow I made a mistake and joined the wrong party. He shouldn't join the Labor or better still, the Green And to me, Tony Abbott would not have been as bad. I can't see anybody being as as as what we've got now with Elbow. I think he's pushing his socialistic gender too far. And I just think that I just want to get politicians to come to their sense and do what they both do represent us, so they should still have a good skill for what the issues, what most people want, and start delivering. Don't run this country anymore into the ground.
Speaker 2: Okay, your phone's still working.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm still all right.
Speaker 2: Well I wasn't sure if you finished.
Speaker 4: Mate.
Speaker 2: Well that's good, Thank you so much, and listen, it's glad. I'm glad that you can bring me tomorrow. I don't forget Jason's on the weekend. There you go. That was Chris who It's good to see Chris had actually written down what he wanted to say as well. I'm going to talk to Leith van Onslin in just a moment about obviously the Treasury of common sense. Let's just bring ourselves up to date with Donald Trump, who was at NATO. I thought it was really interesting that while he was doing here his talk at NATO, that CNN were the only was the only one of the three channels that I have in here monitoring the world overnight that was actually taking the speech on the press conference. CNN were taking it, but Fox News wasn't, surprisingly and also neither was Sky News UK. So yeah, again I thought that was rather interesting. But anyway, here were a couple of things that Donald Trump was talking about at NATO. In this particular case, he says that he doesn't think it's necessary to restart the negotiations with Iran.
Speaker 1: Who are you interested in restarting negotiations with Iran?
Speaker 10: And if so, have they re so our.
Speaker 3: People, Marco card answers, But our people are.
Speaker 17: Not.
Speaker 3: I'm not the way I look at it. They fought, the war's done, and you know, I could get a statement that they're not going to go nuclear. We're probably going to ask for that, but they're not going to be doing it.
Speaker 12: But they're not going to be doing it anyway. They've had it.
Speaker 5: They've had it.
Speaker 12: Now maybe someday in the future will want that.
Speaker 3: But I've asked Marco, do you want to draw I just asked him the question as we were walking on the stage. You want to draw up a little agreement for them to sign, because I think we can get them to sign it. I don't think it's necessary.
Speaker 2: So there, obviously Marca would be Marco Rubio there. And this bit here is that Donald Trump NATO hasn't ended the Ukraine Russia War.
Speaker 18: It once said that you would end the Ukraine War in twenty four hours. You later said you said that sarcastically.
Speaker 5: Of course it was sarcastic.
Speaker 18: But you've now been in office for five months and five days. Why have you not been able to end the Ukraine War?
Speaker 3: Because it's more difficult than people would have any idea. Vladimir Putin has been more difficult. Frankly, I had some problems with Zelinsky.
Speaker 5: You may have read about them.
Speaker 4: And it's been more.
Speaker 5: Difficult than other wars.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, we just ended a war in twelve days that was simmering for thirty years.
Speaker 2: Frankly, there you got Donald Trump talking at NATO there. I didn't look up a Fox News a moment ago, and they did have a story about sleeper cells, Iranian sleeper cells that they're keeping an eye out for. But further to that too, I did see a story that was in the Wall Street Journal about how US officials and private experts are warning that Evran may retaliate with something along the lines of cyber attacks, and apparently they have a wide range of cyber attacks. I don't know how true this is, there could be some suspected Iranian cyber attacks against the US. So I thought i'd catch up with Skeeve Stevens, the futurist, who we've spoken to before, about the Iranian cyber capability and whether or not it's any good. I mean, we're led to believe it's active, but whether or not it's weak, say compared to that of the US and Israel and other countries too. So that's going to be a little bit later on. If you're still with us at five point fifteen, they've got a long way to go yet, though it's only yeah, twenty minutes past two. We're going to go to the Thursday Morning Live Lounge in a moment. I've got a really great song that we're going to hear this morning acoustically, albeit played on the piano, well the keyboard, in fact, not the piano, but the keyboard. You will be able to hump a piano in here. So that's coming up a little bit later on this hour, but next up being this time of the Wednesday morning. We always catch up with this Thursday, isn't it, Craigy Thursday already gets away from you. So this time on a Thursday morning, we always catch up with our good friend leithman Onsolin with the Treasury of Common Sense, and we'll get to that next to twenty twenty three minutes past two. I just got a text from Michael who wanted to know how to watch the cricket, and that was Viv who sent him that response, and Michael is very grateful Viv. He said, I didn't know I could watch the Australia the West Indies cricket on ESPN. So he's got that on his Foxtel channel and he's now I presume watching that and listening to us. And if you are listening to us, Michael, anytime you feel like giving me a quick score update, I shall pass it on to the people as well. As I said. The Thursday Morning Live Lounge one of our favorite morning segments on a Thursday because we get to hear a little bit of music and songs played a acoustically. When you strip them back and you hear them acoustically, you get a completely different perspective and a feel for this song. You know this song and you love this song too, but you're going to be hearing it done a little differently and the story behind it from the man that sang it. That's on the way. But now it's our good friend, Leith van Onsolin.
Speaker 1: Morning, Leith, now on overnights.
Speaker 9: I have believe in reason and common sense.
Speaker 1: Leaf van Onsolin from Macro business with a treasury of common sense.
Speaker 2: How are you, Leith? I'm okay. I've noticed that the New South Wales and Queensland governments have released their state budgets. Any good, Yeah, Look.
Speaker 19: The areas which are most interesting from the state budgets actually relate to housing policy. So both New South Wales and Queensland mounts some pretty significant housing policy announcements and to me it basically highlighted how both states are fighting a losing war on housing. So we look at New South Wales first. So the most significant news the initiative in New South Wales budget on Tuesday was the government's pledged to guarantee up to one billion dollars in new housing developments. So effectually we have this situation not just in New South Wales but around Australia where if I properly. Developers often face troubles getting financed for new projects because they lack adequate presales. So often if a developer goes to a bank and they need and they want to get, you know, a large summer money for a development, they'll say, okay, how many pre sales do you have and they'll often say, well, we don't have an art or whatever, and they'll they'll get rejected finance. So that means that the development doesn't go ahead and we obviously don't get that supply. So if the New South Wales government has promised to do is to purchase any unsolved stock in a housing development up to fifty million dollars per development, so effectively they want to become the buyer of last resort. So that means that it should appease bank's concerns about the financial viability of projects, and it should encourage qualified developers to borrow more to build projects, which which should therefore increase supply. So the New South Wales Treasurer Daniel Lookie claimed that the policy would quote Britain forward the construction of up to fifteen thousand extra homes over the next five years. Now that's obviously a good thing. You know, fifteen thousand extra homes is great, but it's nowhere near enough. So the federal government's advisory Council on Housing, the National Houses Supply and Affordability Council, or at least a report last month and a forecast, suggested that New South Wales would only meet sixty five percent of its agreed housing target over the.
Speaker 10: Next five years.
Speaker 19: So what it basically said is that New South Wales would deliver one hundred and thirty thousand less homes than is required to meet this housing target. So in this regard the New South Wales government's Borough of Last Resort policy, which as Daniel Lookie said, aims to deliver fifteen thousand homes over five years, that's great. Federal government's own Advisory Counts on Supply says that New South Wales is facing one hundred and thirty thousand supply gaps, so obviously fifteen thousand there is a lot less than one hundred and thirty thousand. In fact, it's only twelve percent of one hundred and thirty thousand. So you know, this basically shows you that New South Wales New South Wales's housing market. Even if this policy did deliver what's promised, is still going to be massively undersupplied of housing, which just means the housing crisis is going to drag on. And there's also the risk that there's also the risk that New South Wales taxpayers could be left carrying the can for poor equality development. So presumably if a development can't sell and the taxpayers they step in and buy these apartments, you'd think that it's more likely they've been in developments that are poor quality. So for example, if it developer goes out and builds a whole bunch of you know, not very good town homes or apartments or whatever, and they struggle to sell them because they're not very good and people don't to buy them, taxpayer could be left picking up the picking up these apartments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, so.
Speaker 19: There is obviously a risk of that. That's pretty much an outside risk. But when we dig down to it, so this National House is supplying Affordability Council forecast one hundred and thirty thousand dollars one hundred and thirty thousand deficit of homes, so not one hundred and thirty thousand fewer homes to be supplied that are required. This policy says we'll do another fifteen thousand, so that's obviously a lot less that. The key problem here, feel is that the fundamental reason why New South Wales has a housing shortage is because of excessive net overseas migration. So the population data came out last week from the Train Bureau Statistics, and what it showed is that New South Wales grew by one hundred and eight thousand people last calendar year so twenty twenty four. That was driven almost one hundred percent by net overseas migration of one hundred and seven thousand, So New South Wales lost about twenty eight thousand people to other states, which offset the net birth that's birth's minus deaths, So effectfully all of New South Wales's population growth last year came from people coming from overseas, and in fact, in the decade to December twenty twenty four, so for the last ten years, newth Wales's population has grown by nine hundred and eighty three thousand net overseas migration, so people are right from overseas is counter for eighty eight percent of that eight hundred and eighty two thousand, and also the remainder of that is natural increase, which is birth mine deaths, but migrants also have children. So if you bring it, bring a whole eight hundred and eighty two thousand migrants into New South Wales, well, some of those migrants are going to have children and then that gets counters is natural increase. So what this tells you is that all of New South Wales's population growth and therefore housing demand which is causing this housing crisis, is because of this very high level of net overseas migration. So if the New South plaus government really wants to solve this problem, you know that this poles is great, but what it really is needs to do is to tell the federal government to slow migration down and cut it to some a sensible and sustainable level that is compatible with New South Wales and it goes to the other states as well, Australia's capacity to build housing and infrastructure, because really, for the last twenty years the federal government has fire hosed huge amounts of neat overseas migration into the country. The state that gets the line's share of that net overseas migration is New South Wales, followed by Victorian Queensland. So therefore, if we've got this pervasive, chronic housing supply problem. The logical solution is to slow that net overseas migration down and then you actually solve the housing shortage. And that is really the number one solution here. Everything else is window dressing and that's really what Daniel Mookie and you know Chrispin should be doing. They should be staying to Camber. Look, we can't build enough houses quick enough to keep up with this supply, this massive that you keep bringing into our state through through neover Sin's migration. So you need to slow this down. And I think that is a real solution. Now, just turning to Queensland, So Queensland has taken a different road to their housing policy, but it's also equally important. I think it's actually lot worse. So just to put some number around this, Brisbane's median home price has surged by eighty five percent since March twenty twenty, so the cost of housing in Brisbane has absolutely rocketed since the pandemic. And according to prop Track, which is a house in Nels's firm, they estimate that that Brisbane's median home value was eight hundred and nine thousand in May, and that's actually the second highest in the nation now behind Sydney. So Brisbane used to be relatively affordable, is a lot less than Melbourne et cetera. Now Brisbane is the second most expensive housing market in the country and the Queensland State budget this week announced the most generous shared equite scheme in the nation. So what it basically said is that once to promise promise to help Queensland first home buyers, oh so should I say Queensland home buyers purchase homes valued it up to one million dollars. So under its policy, single households earning up to one hundred and fifty thousand and households are to adults e ard up to two hundred and twenty five thousand will be eligible for basically this shared equity scheme, whereby the Queensland State Government will invest either thirty percent of equity in the new bills of twenty five percent into existing houses up to one million dollars. And what this effectively means is that it'll allow it'll allow a whole bunch of people who couldn't previously afford to get in that housing in Queensland to now be able to purchase housing. And what will do is will bring a whole bunch of new buyers in the market. And like all first home buyers grants or any other of these sorts of policies that we've seen over the last twenty five five years, it's ultimately just going to push up home prices because you're going to have increasing demand, increasing number of buyers, people borrowing more than they would have otherwise, bidding on the same amount of stock, and what it's going to end up doing is just going to end up pushing our home prices. So what it means is that it's actually very self defeating from a housing affordability perspective, and it's just going to drive prices higher. It's going to and what that means is once you drive the prices higher, as we've seen in the last twenty five years, you end up just with a less affordable housing.
Speaker 13: Market in the end.
Speaker 19: And it's also about noting that this policy inquint this shared equity policy in Queensland comes alongside the Reserve Bank of Australia which has already comes to straits twice and it's and it's forecast to cut rates by another three times this year, which is going to add more demand the housing and push up house prices. Also, the federal government has announced the five percent depositive scheme for first home buyers, which comes into effect on the first of January twenty twenty six. So all these sorts of policies, low interest rates, shared equity schemes from the Queensland government, the Federal government's five percent to positive scheme, all it's going to end up doing is just going to add way more demand to the housing market. People are going to borrow more money, We're going to have a higher household debt, and it's going to end up just pushing our home process even further. And it's actually the last thing you want to do when you have and when you have a housing affordability problem is actually just increased demands, so you make home structurally more unaffordable. And we've really seen how this story ends throughout this century with first time biogrounds, shared equity schemes, all these sorts of schemes are seen in our last twenty five years have all just ended up pushing prices higher. They haven't made housing more affordable and in the end, which has ended up with higher home prices and more household debt. So Unfortunately, I think the Queensland's policy, the Queensland governments policy is self defeating from an affordability perspective. It's just going to make the situation even worse.
Speaker 2: Always good to torture, my friend. It is the Treasury of common sense. Thank you so much. Enjoy your holiday, Leith.
Speaker 19: Yeah, thanks film and I'll catch you in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Indeed, the you get Leith van Nonsalin, who's having a well deserved holiday for a couple of weeks as well, giving it's the Treasury of common sense. And a couple of texts that came through Albe said absolutely correct. Government assistant assistance has always driven up housing prices, and this one from Chris phil Canada had housing supply issues and they solved it by limiting immigration. The problem is worse here with additional, bigger supply issues. Thank you so much. Zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three on the text, and it's two thirty five twenty five to three in the old school language. Who's in the Thursday morning jazz club? Well, it's not really a jazz club. And on the subject to that, can I just quickly say I can't believe that the Foundry Jazz Club in Sydney is closing down, which is it's been around. It's in Ultimore, Gleeb Ultimore on Harris Street. It's been there forever. Well, when I say forever, at least I don't know, at least five years, which is pretty long for a venue these days. And I had a look there because I like to go to the Foundry like a bit of jazz, and I noticed it was closing down. And Chris next door in the studio on the wheels that Steel gave me another jazz place that I wasn't aware of. But in Sydney it's more and more venues closing down. And when you think of if you're a jazz fan, you used to be able to go to the Basement, and there were one or two other places as well. There was I think three to three was the other place, which was up near Redford, but they've both gone now. And now it seems that the Foundry six one six in Harris Street and Ultimore in Sydney that's going to close down too, So you know, it's such a shame. But anyway, the Thursday Morning Live Lounge, we'll get to that next twenty minutes to three. Hello Viv, thank you for the cricket score. Australia is now three for sixty five. Thank you Viv for sending that through. If Michael took your suggestion and he's watching the foxtail, but we'll keep you updated on that in the cricket scores as and when they come through from Viv. You're now the official cricket score person. I was talking about the lack of jazz bars in Sydney now and I mentioned a moment ago that the Foundry, which is in Harris Street in Sydney, that's closed and that's such a shame that's closing because it's such a great venue. But in Brisbane they've got loads Brisbane Jazz Club, the Do What Bar. I used to go to the Brisbane Jazz Club when I lived in Brisbane under the Bridge, Kangaroo Point. Great place. You've got the Do What bar, and you also you have in Brisbane the Brooklyn Standard. It looks like in Sydney. I think you know, Chris said to me Hubert's is one place that has a bit of jazz going on in Sydney. But I wasn't aware of that. So I have to go and have a look at that. Let's get ourselves into a smoky jazz environment here as we go into the Thursday morning live lounge and see who we have this morning. Well, he didn't come in live because even at you know, nineteen to three in the morning, if you're a musician, it's a bit of a big call. But he did pop in during the daytime for a pre recorded chat and said he was going to do the song, but you know, very very well. But he said he would do it not on the piano but on a keyboard. I said, that's good because we've got no room in here for a piano. But it sounded good. And his name is Daryl Breathwaite. I said, mate, good to see you, and you're looking very well.
Speaker 5: I'm very well, Thank you, Phil, nice to be here.
Speaker 2: Do you think they'll ever get a stage where you'll go that's it. I've sung all the songs that need to be sung, and I'm going to go fishing.
Speaker 5: Oh I doubt it. My band wouldn't let me.
Speaker 20: They're about a decade and a half younger than I am, and they go, Daryl, even if you're really.
Speaker 5: Really sick, we'll put sticks up your back. And just sit you on a chair.
Speaker 2: I was surprised that you're a Melbourne guy when always thought you were a Sidney person. But you and Surebert were in Sydney trying hard to break into Melbourne.
Speaker 20: Yeah, mainly because Melbourne was the place to break out of This is back in the early days when Ian Maldron was there as well.
Speaker 5: The whatever TV shows.
Speaker 20: Were originating out of Melbourne as well, and radio airplay was really important back then.
Speaker 5: Obviously still is now, but was more so then.
Speaker 20: And we made trip after trip down the Hume Highway and played every conceivable.
Speaker 5: Gig I think in Melbourne over and over and over again.
Speaker 20: And it took maybe three or four years before we made a dent into Melbourne.
Speaker 2: I guess go well, okay, I think the Angels did something very similar as well. They were up and down the highway. I think Iva Davies told me that too, that he was house back in the early day, flowers up and down the highway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they all would have been.
Speaker 20: It's just late over the last couple of decades everyone flew.
Speaker 5: But back then you used to drive.
Speaker 2: And you'd have to go through the small towns too.
Speaker 5: There was and you'd play in the small towns as well.
Speaker 2: Do you know the thing I like about Sherbert A lot of people don't realize the complexity of the music that you played. Everybody remembers How's That? You know, it's a bit like being remembered for How's That? And the Horses, which is great. There was more to Daryl Braithwaite and more to Sherbet than just How's That? And I'd like to use it as an example. You've got the Gun. What a great song and you know, like a really a really mature song for that time too.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 20: Well, it was just trying to think who Clive Garth and myself I think had a hand in writing it, and it was really we thought when we had finished it, we thought, oh, that sounds sophisticated enough to break into Melbourne and lo and behold it didn't.
Speaker 5: We thought, oh, how cool are we this?
Speaker 20: You know, like the musicians are like it, the people that like sort of something that's a bit musical, But nah, it didn't work.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's crazy. You talk about the sophistication of that particular song, and also some are love and what you guys were doing outside of How's That? And there was quite a juxtaposition between the two Australian styles at that particular era with the Angels and the roast tattoos, and then you had people like you and Little River Band who were doing stuff that was a lot more complex. I thought, yeah.
Speaker 20: And also those bands that you mentioned, like the Angels, and then we get onto Chisel and all that and Midnight Oil. They came at the sort of the crossroads when I guess the transition period around about seventy eight seventy nine where it really did change. It was sort of like, I think our style of music then the Sherbet thing was dying out and there was more like a I guess, like a punk influence, you know, like with Johnny Rotten and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 5: It was really quite noticeable.
Speaker 2: Do you ever see any late night showings of Countdown and you go, oh no, here come to satin jackets, you know, the flower shrouds.
Speaker 20: I felt, no, never again, Oh no, no, no, I have seen them and it's quite endearing. You think, God, a mighty, how good did we look? Well, not really, and it was part and parcel for then. You know, it was quite amazing.
Speaker 2: I mean, you wouldn't do it now.
Speaker 5: No, no, you wouldn't.
Speaker 20: It was part of the whole development, I guess of pop music here in Australia at that time.
Speaker 2: What's the crowd favorite?
Speaker 5: That people loved the Horses is quite extraordinary.
Speaker 20: Every time I do it, it's still so enjoy to perform and also to see the people react, know the majority of them. It is weird though in some aspects, to have, I guess, be known just for one song, and I do actually mention that to them when we played to young people. I saw something the other day which was really strange on social media about somebody putting up there that if you played the Horses at eleven fifty eight or something just before midnight on New Year's Eve, then you would time it correctly so that on the stroke of midnight that you'd hit the chorus of the Horses and that could be.
Speaker 5: Your I don't know thing to take you into the New Year. And I thought, my god.
Speaker 2: I saw that, but I didn't realize I saw one of the ones they tried to sync up was in the air tonight and the drums to go with that. So fantastic.
Speaker 5: You've glad to be good.
Speaker 2: You've got your own wizard of oz moment going on here.
Speaker 20: Actually, yeah, yeah, unbeknownst to me, I have to ask my son about it.
Speaker 5: It's a lot younger.
Speaker 2: And what's the Ricky Lee Jones connection.
Speaker 20: Well, she wrote it, She had it as an album track way back in probably eighty six eighty seven, and I actually got to speak to her. We talked about the horses, and you know that she'd written it about her daughter, and I was trying to explain to her that it had been successful back in ninety one, that now it's probably still as successful, but in a different way, that it's been accepted by a lot of people for different reasons. And then we got into trying to analyze maybe what the reasons are about the song, and you could keep on going for a day, you know, trying to bring up.
Speaker 5: Reasons that there's not one specific thing.
Speaker 20: I don't think that you can say that would endear people to it.
Speaker 5: It's either the lyrics melody song itself.
Speaker 20: I remember actually contacting her publishers back then to find out well, obviously to get permission to record it, and to find out if she was going to release it as a single, which she never did. Also to find out what it was about. So it's had a really good life so far.
Speaker 2: Such a pleasure to talk to you. Thank you so much. It was a real pa.
Speaker 5: Thank you Phil.
Speaker 2: Do you want to hear the song that he recorded for us? Well you will after this ten to three. Thank you for the score. In the cricket Michael Australia versus West Indies, Australia three four sixty five. After lunch and another text that came in from Will said, Phil, do you remember the Musicians Club in Chalmers Street, Surrey Hills long gone? You're absolutely right. Leon Burger played there air supply and when they had the three lead vocalists. I go back to those days and I remember Will going to the Trade Union Club in Surrey Hills, the Hope Town as well. All these venues are gone now. I mentioned that this great venue jazz venue in Sydney, the Foundry that's gone, that's closing down end of June. It's incredible when you look at the venues, the amount of venues that are up and running in Brisbane and also in Melbourne compared to Sydney, it's incredible. More and more venues, live venues closing in Sydney and for a city the size of Sydney. It just seems like they just don't want to have a night life.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like for a twenty four hour international city the size of Sydney, if you want to go and see some live music, well, bad luck anyway. Darrel Breithwait, we had a chat about the Horses, the Ricky Lee Jones song. He recorded a version of it just using the keyboard. Sounds absolutely fantastic. Here it is for you in the Thursday Morning Live Lounge. Wasn't that amazing? Horses Darrel Brothwait in the Thursday Morning Live Lounge. And next week in the Thursday Morning Live Lounge, I believe we're gonna have diesel popping in just a guitar. Nothing quite as elaborate as that. I just got a text from Michael in Brisbane saying my favorite Darrel Breathwait song is higher than Hope, which I think was a better hit than Horses. Appreciate your text on that. All right, let's get your news update for three o'clock. Terry Barnes is on the way, and also more of your overnight news coming up. Great voice. Daryl Brethwait still has hasn't a for the age of seventy six as well. His voice is really hung in well, and Will said, do you remember the ann and Dale Hotel? Phil sure do. Will was talking about some of the bands that he saw there, like the Go Betweens two and Adale Hotel was always a really terrific venue. You know again, I just go back to, you know, a city the size of Sydney with just more and more diminishing live venues. It's absolutely criminal and hard to believe that, you know, that's the state that we're in. Terry Barnes will join us in just a moment to talk about the state of this week in politics that's on the way, and also a little bit of music news for you too. Let's get to the news update.
Speaker 1: On two GB, four BC and network stations. This is our Struggler overnight with Phil O'Neill.
Speaker 2: Yes, it maybe the middle of the night, but we're here for you ahead of of course, Ben ben Fordham this morning. That's a way away, a long way to go before we get there. Peter Figan on four BC as well. Twelve degrees in Brisbane at the moment it feels like nine degrees and in Sydney it's eight, but it feels like one. Wow, that's the coldest feels like that we've had so far, and I haven't been out for a while. Didn't feel that cold when I came in this morning, however, there was a lot of wind around, so I took my wife's mini car rather than jumping on the bike, rather than being pushed over. Chris was telling me from the studio next door. On the wheels of steel he took the motorbike out to yesterday nearly got blown over. So if you're on the bike, take it easy. Albie just said, all governments have given out incentives to buy housing. Prices always increase when they do. Ever, wonder how many pollys or how so many pollies get rich. Welcome to capitalism any under any other industry would be called inside training.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'll live for your text. He all right, there's a lot of politicians who are very, very rich. I wonder which profession would actually give you the most amount of cash, certainly not this one. Oh, by the way, I don't forget I mentioned this before. Our good mate Jason Morrison will be doing the overnight show over the weekend. If he gets his ee in to come back and do some more stuff on the radio too, so you'll be able to hear this coming weekend. And this from David just said, Darryl Braithwait sounded incredible. He's going to be seventy five. He's seventy six, and you're right. The way he hits those notes are really really good. And he said my favorites a rise in one summer and looking forward to Dezil next week. The girls loved his John Travolta's style and look, and he had lots of bangers. You're right, David, and he's going to give us one next week. And Michael said, when are you going to have a chat with the Brewster brothers tomorrow? I think Michael for our segment behind the Song, which is around about this time in the morning tomorrow morning, hopefully catching up with John Brewster to hear the story behind the Angel song. Am I ever going to see your face again? Hang around with us. We've still got a long way to go till we get to five point thirty for the big Breakfast wake up, including Terry Barnes in just a moment. I've got a bit of music news on the way for you as well. And also we're going to talk about pandemics, and we caught up with Terry Slevin about this. It's interesting because there are now more talk about on this, some more talk about more pandemics coming out of Chi. I'll give you that news report a little bit later. And our good friend Luke Boner is back from his holiday where he's daughter, of course, got married. We talked about that last week. Luke Boner joins us with the Boner Report this morning from four point thirty and Skeeve Stevens as well, talking about whether or not Iran has any kind of cyber capability. The Wall Street Journal did a report saying, you know, we should be aware of perhaps possible cyber attacks that may come from Iran, but you know, how serious is that?
Speaker 14: What?
Speaker 2: We'll talk to Skeeve a little bit later. And also somebody else said on the text of course the Polly's are rich and spend their own money. Well, they can give themselves a pay rise. Imagine being in a position like that where you can just give yourself a three point five percent pay rise because you can got a couple of really interesting bits of news that I found while I was looking for things today or yesterday as it turns out now I didn't get out of my pajamas until much later on. So much wind around it was ridiculous. Hay fever was playing up, and I thought, no, I'm not going outside. I'm just going to spend the afternoon on the Internet in my pajamas, organizing guests for the show for you, and I came across some really interesting stories that I want to share with you. For example, China have just unveiled a mosquito sized drone, and we're all talking about drones now, especially since you know, the Israel Iran thing kicked off, and now we're aware of the kind of capabilities that drones have, and also Ukraine before that in Russia too. But now China have got these insect inspired they call them microdrones. So they've got the robob, They've got the robo Black Hornet, and these are for civilian and military uses. And this one is barely the size of a human fingernail. It's made to resemble mosquito. It's got two yellow leaf like wings, a black vertical body, three hair thin legs, and it's a drone that's capable of a whole range of things, you know, military and civilian. It's not that good. I don't think to carry weapons or mind you, if you wanted to take somebody out right, if you could do that with the capability, somebody go oh, just got bitten by a mosquito. Next thing you know, bang, they've fallen on the floor. Well, I don't think it's being used for that, but in true mission impossible style, it's going to be used for information gathering. I think I've seen some films in the past where something like this happened. I can't remember the film, but they had a fly with a camera on it and it was flying around in and out of buildings, and I thought, well, that's, you know, pretty high tech science fiction. Not anymore. China's going to do it, and they're going to use them for various intelligence and surveillance and reconnaissance tasks as well. And they're really quiet. They're almost invisible to the human eye, so you wouldn't even know it was there. It can bypass detection entering secure and restricted locations. So that is your mosquito size drone. But as I said, not just available for the military, but for villian uses too. Could you imagine the fun you can have around the office especially, I've had a little microphone on it. You know, there was a meeting going on about you that you knew of. You just fly your mosquito size drone in there immediately You're armed with information. When they come out, you could go, what do you mean you're gonna sack me. Here's another thing I found really interesting. You know how they did this amazing marathon bombing run, this US bombing mission that targeted the three nuclear facilities Iran over the weekend. I was reading about the massive undertaking. It was required for the B two bomber pilots to pretty much test the limits of human endurance during the thirty seven hour session. Because they had seven stealth bombers carrying two crew members. They flew NonStop halfway around the world. You think about that, right, thirty seven hour mission flew halfway across the world and then back in one of the longest air raids in modern military history. It's been described as an incredible feat. They had more than one hundred and twenty five aircraft used in the attack, and apart from the seven bombers that flew east from the Missouri Whiteman Air Force Base to strike Iran, they also have these B two bombers flying west. The thing about the B two bomber is that, I'm let's believe, you can only have two people in there, and it's really small. It's a pressurized cockpit and that can dehydrate you, so they had to drink water. But also they could only have a cat nap pretty much where they were because you know, you've seen the size of these B twos. The cockpit itself is tiny. So what they had to do was they had cat naps, and they had piddle packs, so that's if they wanted to have a Wii. It was a little zip lock type bag that was filled with kitty litter. Isn't that genius? If you've ever had a bad back and you've had to Wii into a plastic bag like I've had to do, or you've had to Wii into a bottle because you can't get out of bed, fill it up with cat litter. Genius. See, only the military could come up with something that brilliant. But yeah, apparently it was a real feat of a military precision and also human endurance to fly there and back in something basically the size of a little cubicle. You know, if you're at work, you'd be sitting in And one more thing that I found was absolutely fascinating. Do you know that your breathing pattern is as unique as a fingerprint? This takes it to a whole new level. When I found out that a tongue print is unique and as unique as a fingerprint, I couldn't believe that. So apparently it's true. Your tongue print is not that you're ever going to steal a car and lick it. You do, in that case, you deserve to be arrested anyway, don't steal a car. But you know, the thing is about the tongue print. You can be identified by that and a fingerprint. But now apparently your breathing pattern is also as unique as a fingerprint and can get you identified. It's portity of the scientists. It has to do with the unconscious rhythms of our inhales and exhales that are so unique that no two people have the same breathing pattern on this planet. How incredible is that. Take that to the bank and tell everybody at work you know about that. And also, apparently, according to the team of scientists who did this research, a person's nasal breathing pattern is so distinct you can be identified with an accuracy of ninety six point eight percent. That's how accurate it is. That's how accurate it is, according to the neuroscience, And they found about one hundred people. They've got them a small wearable device. They tracked their nasal air flow for twenty four hours, and then they found out that they turned the noses into biometric scanners, and they found out that your breathing pattern is so unique that it could probably stand up in a court of law. And you can be identically accurately identified ninety six point eight percent of the time. So if you're stealing something right now, just don't breathe, or better still, don't steal anything. I should have added that bit beforehand. Sixteen minutes past three. Would you like to get in touch on the phone. You can one three one eight seven three. You can text me on zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. You can email me overnights at two GB dot com. And coming up to seventeen minutes past three, we'll catch up with our good friend Terry Barnes after this to talk about the week so far in politics. How are you this morning? Yeah, okay, getting ready for the weekend. We've got to get through Thursday. Then here we have the weekend coming ups. Can be a cold one though, pretty chilly in Sydney. This morning feels like one degree coming up to twenty one minutes past three. Let's catch up with our good friend Terry Barnes.
Speaker 1: Now on overnights Order Order.
Speaker 5: The Prime Minister has the call.
Speaker 16: Thanks missus Streaker.
Speaker 1: It's the week in Politics with Terry Barnes.
Speaker 2: He's cold in his time and he wants to get to bed, but first there's business to be done.
Speaker 10: How are you, good morning, Pig.
Speaker 16: I am cold and I am tired, and the warmest plays I can think of.
Speaker 2: Susan Lee, is she dragging the Libs to the left?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 16: Something? Going from her National Press Club speech yesterday, I'd have to say that whenever somebody from the right of politics talks about modern Australia, that means taking it to the left. Effectively. She admitted that Liberals were smashed in the May federal election. That's not that's the truth. But her solution, as far as I can see, is that she wants to talk about modern Australia and modern Australian values and not timeless Liberal party values or timeless center right or conservative or even well liberal well liberal values. So she lost me when she gave the acknowledgment of country right at the beginning, not because that's wrong in itself, but it sent a very clear coded message that she is not going to fight the culture wars. She's not going to actually talk to a base. She's going to talk to well, she's going to talk to the rest of the country, I think. And of course if they want to regain government, the littles have to do that. They actually have to respect their base as well. I get the sneaking feeling that as a moderate Liberal MP, she respects the moderate part of the Liberal Party that doesn't have much time with the conservative part, and that's going to be a very interesting, well battle to be fought internally over the next couple of years if she survived that long.
Speaker 2: Well, wasn't this the issue at the last election? You had all these factions inside the party pulling it to the left and that's how they ended up in so much disarray.
Speaker 16: Well that's very very true, and I think to the support that she got to become leader by not many votes over Angus Taylor, who is seen as being on the conservative wing, sort of highlights that, and then certainly some of her key shadow Cabinet appointments is highlighted that as well. My senses, yes, I think the Liberals have to look at the reality of modern Australia and what it is, what Australian's aspirations are. But I think they also need to explain to to many people, particularly the young, that the Times values that Bob Benzi's stood up for, that Liberals had stood up for since the founding of the party eighty years ago, in terms of smaller government, in terms of greater personal response bility, in terms of the role of the family in the community, the sense that people determine their own destinies and that don't have to well co live their lives with government. I mean, those things matter to civil society in my view. I think people on the right are not very good at communicating that too, particularly younger people who have been educated I think, in a very progressive education culture all the way from the Garten two University and really have been for decades now. And my sense his liberals have lost those and they're struggling him too to actually make any ground with them. However, I don't think by simply saying, well, look, they didn't like who we were in May, I like who we are in June. If we basically talk like them, it's not going to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I see that Tony Abbott has voiced strong support for the US bombing campaign against Iran. He's been quite vocal lately. Is it too late for Abbot because he really could be the man of the moment now, especially given the current climate.
Speaker 16: Well, certainly, I think, I'm sure. In fact, I'm pretty certain that Tony Abbott misses the opportunity to influence Australia's place in the world the only way he could as Prime minister.
Speaker 2: I mean, pretty much like all ex prime ministers.
Speaker 16: Well indeed, there's nothing more ex than the ex prime minister, as they say. But look, I think the one thing about Tony Abbott, you agree with him or like him or not, is that she knew what he's still for, what he believed in. He didn't make any bones about that. And I think, actually, funnily enough and ironically enough for Tony. And I'm talking to somebody who's worked with him and known him for a long time and consider him a friend. Is that he's probably learned how to communicate and talk about ideas and values and international politics particularly much more effectively than when he was in Parliament when he was Prime minister. And in that sense, I think he's become very comfortable as an elder statesman and I think earned a lot of respect from even people who opposed him when he was in well, certainly when he's Prime minister, but also I think in the twenty odd years he was in politics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's just a couple of silly decisions there. So could he get back in and be a player again or is it too late for that now?
Speaker 16: Well, look he is well into his sixties now, so probably it is too late. And if there's more X than an X, and going back and being an ex in parliament is probably not the best way to use his influence, I mean, And that's the thing. He does have influence now, just like John Howard, has influence in a way that perhaps he wouldn't have done if he were still in Parliament, were in office. But we need those elder statesmen, but we also need, I think the current generation to actually step up and perform. And part of The problem that the federal liberal's got and at state level around the country is a desperate problem.
Speaker 6: Is the.
Speaker 16: Depth of the talent pool of MPs as well, muddy puddlers about the size of it. So the best people are not going into politics. And we're not just talking about women, as Susan Lee was at the Press Club yesterday. I think we're talking about men and women of capability, of talent, of experience, expertise who just aren't attracted by a political career, probably because people like you and I talk about that. And yeah, the slings about the narrows of public life for a really quite nice these days, and social media has made them a hell of a lot worse than say, even in John Howard's time.
Speaker 2: Well, that's right, but it doesn't just pertain to politics. It pertains to every area of life. If you're on Facebook, you're a target.
Speaker 16: Well, look at our civil discourse is coarsening.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I can't. I can't agree with that more, you.
Speaker 16: Know, and I think in our politics is reflecting that, and that's that's not good for the country. It's and it's not just here, it's around the world. I mean, we'll talk about certain man of Orange.
Speaker 2: And you know you. I knew you as soon as you pause there. I knew where you were going to go. So let's talk about never say never again. What Donald Trump made a good comeback. He's gone to NATO. He's had one hell of a week. He dropped the dropped the F bomb, which some people have said, well, it's on brand. So now there's the NATO sucking up text. Let's talk about that.
Speaker 16: Well, the NATO sucking up text. And it's actually not only private. Donald Trump leaked it because he obviously loved it. I mean, the Secretary General of NOTO from a Dutch Prime minister, Mark Ruter, really laid it on with the troal. I mean, it's just amazing that the brown nosing. I mean he brown noted so much that I think I don't think he can see his head that certainly he texted Donald Trump while he was flying over and.
Speaker 10: Well it's a.
Speaker 16: Longish text that I've just quote a bit of it, mister President did Donald congratulations and thank you for your decisive action in around that was truly extraordinary and something no one else dared to do. It makes us all safer. You are flying into another big success in the Hague this evening. It was not easy, but we've got them all signed on to five percent. That's a GDP on defense.
Speaker 10: Donald, you have driven us to a really, really.
Speaker 16: Important moment for a mar current Europe. And he just goes on and on. But he also did this publicly. He did this publicly yet at the DATO meeting where he had his bilateral with the president and talk similar amage. It is that that phrase at the start of his text, mister President, dear Donald, he talked about daddy talking tusks looking children.
Speaker 10: It was extraordinary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just again, I go back to two thoughts. One, hedge your bets and secondly, in the words of Nixon, he might be a mad man, but he's our mad man.
Speaker 16: Well, I think there was a back in the day. I think it was FDR who talked about a certain South American dictator and said that he may be a son of that, you know what, but he's our son of you.
Speaker 2: You know That's the thing about Donald Trump. He would have said the full expletive. Hold on there a moment. I want to talk about Jim Chalmers after this twenty eight minutes before our good friend Luke Boner will be joining us in an our's time with the Boner Report. But in the meantime, let's get back to Harry Binds. Good just have you still hanging on the phone this time of the morning, that we all appreciate that. Let's get to Jim Chalmers, who's dismissed NATO's defense spending policy. Where are we at with that? I mean, what are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 16: Well, certainly we just talked about Mark Ruther of NATO is saying that, oh there, I signed up to five percent. Isn't that wonderful? Whereas a Treasury yesterday made it very clear that, particularly in the discussion that he started about tax and tax reformers, that we're doing quite fine, very much, thank you, very with out two and a bit percent over the next few years, thank you very much. We don't see any need to change that. I mean, effectively, he was being very dismissive, brushed it off, effectively saying that any debate about our defense spending is off the table. And that's really reinforcing comments that the Prime Minister made off the cuff a week or so ago. We've effectively said we decided what we spend our money on the circumstances in which we spend it. But certainly I think given that the US is driving the NATO ad lies to increase their defense spending, no matter how much fawning and flattery goes with it. The fact that even the Canadians who have underperformed compared to even Australia in terms of the spending and prepared to up it to three percent more of GDP, we're starting to be lagged. If we want to have if we want to have the influence not just with the President Trump, but in terms of the regional security and world security, we actually have to put our money on the table. We have to put our willingness to play our part on the table. And we've had this, well, we've had this shadow game gunning over last fortnight, haven't we about Donald Trump? Meeting has now been easy? But really, why should the President meet mister Alben easy when Australia is not just in terms of being wishy washy and nearly mouthed in terms of its foreign policy, but certainly being absolutely totally unwilling and refusing to come to the party when it comes to contributing more to our ownness.
Speaker 2: It's funny if you wanted to take the pulse of the nation, you could listen to this radio station and the listeners and they would tell you straight away above cost of living, above trying to buy a house, first and foremost is defense spending with all of our listeners pretty much, and it's strange that they're just not being listened to.
Speaker 16: Well, I think that's right, and I think we have to debate about the level of defense spending. We also have to talk about quantity quality as well as quantity, that we're actually buying stuff that is actually going to make us safe, it is actually going to do what we need to do is fit the purpose for what we needed to do. And certainly, and we've got to put orcus into that equation. Yet put it aside and look at the rest of what we do in terms of our defense forces, our defense structure, our defense personnel, and certainly we do need to make sure that whatever we do is not only affordable, but it is effective. And that's going to be a challenge. But we tend not to have these conversations. They're too difficult. And the political problem for the Labor government is after the election where they really put so much money into social spending, whether it's Medicare and eis student that's whatever it happened to be. I mean, these commitments that they have made on the domestic side are so big and so budget consuming that it actually doesn't leave much room to do more on defense unless unless you actually raise taxes in a significant way. That seems to be the message that Jim Charlmons is making in terms of taxes from the last couple of days. It's all about raising more revenue. It's not about using what revenue we have more efficiently in terms of the programs or services, not just defense, but domestic services as well. My sense is we do need tax reform. We do need to actually look at our tax base. We need to look at making sure it works as fairly as possible and as efficiently as possible. That we've also got to make sure that we don't we don't basically raise money to waste it. That's the other side of it. So doctor Chalmers was prepared to say, we do need to look at what we spend our money on. We do need to look at things doing things better and smarter, but that also may mean we do less that we might actually have to cut some things we can't. That's binding. The bullet on. The tough stuff is what government's all about. And this government and so I come from the other side of politics, but this government seems very much into wanting to talk good views but not talking about the fact that there is a cost to everything they do.
Speaker 2: That's it. And one more thing, because I know you want to go to bed, and I mentioned getting the pulse of the nation. We've got in your notes here to talk about Antoinette Latooth receiving the seventy thousand dollars from the ABC over the sacking. I'm really surprised that you wanted to talk about this. I'm also surprised at how much traction this story is getting and how many people are talking about it. Why is that?
Speaker 16: Well, look, I think it's something actually, although she is coming from the left and particularly on the gaza issue and met the two, I've got to pick on the ABC for the wrong reasons that yeah, she expressed the political view, but if you look at it, I mean, how many of their key people, how many of their names, actually do exactly the same thing and get away with it. I mean, look what Laura Tingle, for instance, said about Scott Morrison a few years ago in terms of videological bastard trick. Look at their investigator, investigative journalist Louise Milligan, who has taken to court the deafination in terms of things that she had said and printed, and basically they were okay. Anthoninetteletu, who is a casual contractors entered for one week while somebody else is on leave. She made a comment about guard which I think showed that very much where she came from politically. That compared to well, compared to some of those other cases, you just wonder what the fuss was about. I mean, it was one of those things that the ABC management should have blown over. But the other thing is, when it comes to it, she's got her seventy thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: In COMPETI well, that's not bad for three days work.
Speaker 16: But they're talking about legal fees that in the midions the cost that the ABC will be up for hers and theirs, and really they realize that this is taxpayers money, well, stareholders money, it's not private money, it's taxpayers money. Well, they're doing the proverbial up against the wall.
Speaker 2: Let me hit you with this scenario. Do you think that maybe the ABC are reflecting the government's opinion at the moment, and that is not to have an opinion about anything.
Speaker 16: Well, in these days, I think that's the safest thing, But the ABC charter actually demands that they be impartial and they actually look at all points of view, and certainly I think from me antoinette Ler too, in terms of being highed in the first place, said they're quite happy to accept people of her who left the center perspectives, but if the cause of trouble, well they scarf it for one hundred miles an hour, but they still line up behind their names who might fall into the same trap. So I just think there is a double standard there that within the ABC culture that allowed that to happen. But in terms of in terms of her being well effectively given the flick for a tweet, I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing.
Speaker 2: But again, you know, that goes back to what we were talking about earlier on about Facebook and about having an opinion and everything like that.
Speaker 16: This is the thing, I think, to your professional I mean, do you know it's a good thing that you have opinionated journalists and commentators who attract listeners and viewers. But if they express those years and you've actually them to express those years, you sort of have to stand with them.
Speaker 2: Which it's really and this is a conversation, a longer form conversation for another time. But it's very interesting because if it's a spoken opinion, it seems to be more accepted than if it's a written opinion. If it's especially if it's a written opinion on social media, that seems to carry more weight and more implications than something you've written as an article or something I've said on the radio. Why that is.
Speaker 16: But on the other hand, I mean, I'm here because I expressed you know, because you know, I'm going to express opinion of course reporting the news. But yeah, when you when you're actually covering the years that you're expected to tweet your opinions on it, then the line's been blurred for quite That's it.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying to you. You know that the social media opinion Twitter, Facebook and what have you seems to carry more weight and implication again than say the written word in something that you may have written in the media or something that I would have said on the radio. I don't know why that is, but that's just you know, the impression that I get.
Speaker 16: Well, certainly, I've written a couple of things on the mainstream in mainstream media actually last week or so. It's got me spot of bothered out. Okay, look it happens to us all.
Speaker 2: But once you get seventy grand, you know who you can take to lunch.
Speaker 16: Well, well, I don't get anything like seventy grand. Don't get anything, but certainly always enjoy talking to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, my friend. You are just too well for me. It's two SIPs of coffee. By the time I finish those, you'll be fast asleep in your pjs. Have a great night.
Speaker 16: Thanks so much for it.
Speaker 2: There is Terry and joins us at this time every Thursday morning, but he's off to bed now, and I don't blame him, to be honest. It's eighteen minutes to four, fourteen minutes to four on the text, Hey Phil, when do you reckon albow? Will carry out his election promise and flick China out of Darwin Port, said Ross Ross. I don't know. May to hold your breath. This one from mel Phil's Terry spoke about NATO Brown knowsing Trump well, he'd be well qualified to comment, because no greater Brown knows than Howard of GW. Bush, says mel on the text, and this one came in, came in from Leslie. I agree with Terry. Susan Lee lost me with the acknowledgment of the indigenous, totally unnecessarily and divisive. I forecast she won't be leading at the next election, and she says, I hope not. We need a strong mail to combat alban easy and then it's possible that he won't be there. Tony Abbott for PM, says Leslie Jane in Brisbane morning, how are you, Oh.
Speaker 21: Morning, I'm well, thank you. Susan. Absolutely we didn't get smashed. She and Peter Dutton had the Liberal Party smashed by the announcement they were going to go nuclear nuclear at the time of the cost of living and after the virus and the state of our sense defenses. I mean we didn't want to hear nuclear. I said to my friends and family, well we've lost at what a period absolutely twists And that was the point. They walked around like you know, the walking dead, and they weren't saying anything anywhere. Oh, there's a little bit of pub talk about the cost of living. But when they say nuclear is the most important thing, I thought, we're smashed. And she and Peter Dutton did it. So my advice to Susan they and I'm said before was that she should have retired graciously and gracefully as did Peter Dutton, and used her flying talents which she has certainly got, and her contact in the in the country to go out there and help the problems that the country in New South walesa having with the various things have gone wrong. Because we've certainly got the love in Queensland as well after the floods and the things. See you in western does Western Queensland, So seasonally go go go now, don't bring any more trouble to this country. And as the quotas and women as sorry, we need a good strong man at this point of time because that's the only way that the message can get over about the things that men do better. And so as the sense and things is because are concerned. But Jim Chalmers, you know, we call him. He's our person, the Bogan from Logan or Jim Chalmers or Jim Snake Charmers. And I don't say things like that lot. I'm just reporting to you what the people are saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we floaded the idea and it was just an idea of Tony Abbott making a reappearance. What do you think about that idea?
Speaker 21: I think his time has come, do you think, right? I'm very sad about that. Butteriu's saying he's the ages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, See, sixty is not that old though, Jane. Sixty is not that old as you would know. I mean, you know, if you've got and he's also, I mean if you talk about his fitness, he's very fit too. Sixty is not the sixty it used to be. So I don't see that. You know that would be something that would you know, be held against him.
Speaker 21: Well, you know, the party would have to agree. And if people agree and want him back, well, who am I saying?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 21: I mean he was. He's much better now at conveying the message, as we all know, than he was at the time. Yeah, if that's the way to go, Son tought you.
Speaker 2: Jane, thank you so much. One three, one eight seven three. On the phone, Let's catch up with a couple of things. Donald Trump is absolutely furious because the New York Times and CNN said that they didn't make a good job of it when it came to the bunker busters and the Iran nuclear facility. There've been two schools of thought on this, and they're both quite divisive. Some people saying that it wasn't effective, other people saying, I like Donald Trump, that it was effective. But Donald Trump is absolutely furious about that. Donald Trump compared the attack to what happened in Hiroshima.
Speaker 3: They're not going to be fighting each other. They've had it. They've had a big fight, like two kids at a school yard. You know, they fight like help, you can't stop them. Let them fight for about two three minutes. Then it's easier to stop them.
Speaker 2: And then Debty has sometimes do strong language.
Speaker 3: School strong everyone saying you have to use a certain word. I don't want to use an example of Hiroshima. I don't want to use an example of Nagasaki. But that was essentially the same thing that ended that war.
Speaker 14: This ended that with a wharf.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump there he never ever shies away from saying something controversial or sharing controversial things on his truth social page. He's just shared this beach Boy's parody video about the B two bomber strikes that happened in Iran to the tune of the Beach Boys song bum Bum Bum Bum Bomb Iram. By the way, I was talking about the B two bomber before and Steve said that he's been in a B two spirit. He said, they do have a toilet and they do have a bed. I mean to believe that the toilet is just, without getting too graphic, the toilet is there and you just have to look the other way. And the bed is something that's just basically a bun come to believe, but well done. Actually getting on board there, that'd be great, Steve. I could imagine that'd be quite for you know, a flight and nothing that would be quite good too. I mentioned a moment ago that Tony Abbott was throwing his support behind the US strikes. He is what he had to say.
Speaker 7: I think that countries should act in accordance with their interests and values, and it's in the interests and in the values of all liberal democratic countries that the current Iranian regime never gets access to nuclear weapons. The current apocalyptic Islamist regime in Tehran, their constant script is death to Israel, death to America.
Speaker 2: Again. What a waste with Tony Abbott, who unfortunately was just a circum I guess the situation of circumstances surrounding the time that he was Prime minister. If you could fast forward that, bring that to now or the situation when I think would be completely different. And I think that Steve agrees with that, to bring back Tony Abbot, he says on the text, and just regarding what we were talking about age, Tom said on the text, well Albany's he's sixty two, and Denise said from Randwick, Jane is right, we need a bit of a new blood there. It is seven minutes to four. Hello. I think it's Michael sending me the cricket scores Australia versus West Indies four for one hundred and eleven head fifty one kwaja out for forty nine. His text from Tony phil Australians need to look forward. It's not too late for mister Abbott. Maybe even mister Friedenburg should be encouraged to return to politics as the Liberal leader. Thank you very much for that. And this one too from Denise that Jane was on the ball and had some good thoughts there. Steve said on the text, costs of living will always be high as long as labor pushes renewable energy. Susan Lee talking at the Press Club yesterday and I thought listening to the speech, and I have no issue with the glass ceiling and all that. I don't care who's in as long as the person in is the right person for the job. And they've said that this is a poison chalice for her to take over this particular job. But it just feels to me that it was a little apologetic. Susan lay yesterday at the Press Club with this.
Speaker 15: These numbers reflect a deep and growing disconnect. We respect the election outcome with humility, we accept it with contrition, and we must learn from it with conviction. The Australian people need a strong and effective alternative to vote for at the next election. Our first step is to listen so we properly understand how we can improve. Last week we appointed Prue Goward and Nick Minchin to conduct a route and branch review of the election result. Their review will be frank and fearless, ensuring a thorough and honest assessment of.
Speaker 14: What went wrong and how we can fix it.
Speaker 15: The review will conclude by the end of the year and it will be made public.
Speaker 14: We can do better, and we will do better.
Speaker 2: See for me, there's too much inspection there, there's too much at naval gazing, and there's too much looking back over the shoulder. Let's go forward. Let's go forward with you know, the direction that you want to go with within the party and have some clear directives. So anyway, that was Susan Lee yesterday and Denise, as they said, too many words, a bit of a word salad. Right, Okay, let's move on to something just completely different for you very quickly, because I've got the four o'clock news coming up, and then we're going to get to Channel nine newsroom. Jonathan Cursley Overseas two and a few other things. Luke Boner on the way, let me quickly play you this. It's the anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley and and no it was his last performance. I'm sorry. The anniversary Elvis towards the end of his career was just all over the shop. Listen to this.
Speaker 10: They had.
Speaker 22: But plus tax you read your line select cleverly.
Speaker 5: They never missed you.
Speaker 22: They came back to they forgot the words, seem to change. You acted strange and why I've never known, why ever did it?
Speaker 16: Who am I?
Speaker 13: Talking.
Speaker 4: Do you lie when you said you love me?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 22: Hand on cars about you? Oh dear, what ameber brother go on during your life? And you're all living without you?
Speaker 2: There you go. Alvis Friensley made his last ever stage performance when he appeared at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis on this day, twenty sixth June nineteen seventy seven. And as you can hear there towards again of his career, poor Alvis was well and truly fry. All right, let's get your news update on the front page of the papers.