Speaker 1: Nine podcasts.
Speaker 2: My buy was largely on the comeback of Will Day, who I reckon is as could have the impact and play of Chris Chard. I think he's I think he's that good and I think he's so important. Hello one, Welcome to the Wednesday edition of Eddie and Jimmy. As we go through all your questions, send them to us at Eddie and Jimmy dot com dot au. Thanks to tab get on your girl. All right, let's get cracking. First one from Vancouver. We've got Jamal air Mote who sends in his votes every week from Denver, Colorado, very happy about this. And Vancouver. Have you ever been to Vancouver?
Speaker 1: I think I have as a kid.
Speaker 2: Fantastic place. You're flying to Vancouver and then you should should do this. I tip you into my mate Michael J. Ballgore, who's the vice president of Big White, which is in Kolona. So flying to Vancouver and then straight in the and during so much magnificent. But you know, for us it is just fantastic. If you want to take the kids, that's the place to go to. I'm not an investor or anything. Read and authorized, just giving people the mail. If you want to do it. It is insational.
Speaker 1: We should take this show on the road more often. ED sales just listening to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm taking on the road soon. So half of it anyway? Right, A pre season in La or Vancouver in twenty twenty out to promote AFL. Like it, Like it a lot. The only problem is it's cold. Twenty teams. Could be a home and away season with each team playing each other once and the derby round played twice for a balanced fixture. Great. And what I do then is extend the finals so you get the same out of games on TV. All right? Do you want to keep going?
Speaker 1: Yep? The winner gets five hundred k and five premiership points. The loser of the grand final gets two hundred and fifty K two and a half premiership points. The two losing semi finals one hundred and twenty one point twenty five points. For losing quarter finalists gets sixty two and zero point six two five premiership points. Let's make pre pre season competitive and semi serious.
Speaker 2: So a lot.
Speaker 1: He's thrown an idea and he's created a bit of a solution to make it because you've got to play for something, because everyone knows when it's a Mickey Mouse game. They go through the motions and that's not good for people watching the game.
Speaker 2: Yep, there's one thing I know when in our game of football, you put a dollar on the line and everyone suddenly gets their focus very quickly. Next one. So good, thanks Douglas. I get what you're saying there, and I agree with a fair bit of it.
Speaker 1: But the time of the year Vancouver, well that's winter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the pre but again and well, the AFL need to get their foot off everyone's throwight on the on the soft cap to be able to do it because they take it out of it.
Speaker 1: La is more likely because of the weather and proximity to a be closer than Vancouver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and probably. I mean the thing for the as we do this deal with the NFL, if clubs are smart, that's that we're doing and go over and train and do a lot of things. Now we've already seen a lot of players now going up to Kata to Aspina the medical center up there to get looked over. Anyway, Brett read last touch, All right, here we go. Brett says I had a thought bubble that the reason the last touch in all situations never been brought in is because it's too big of a penalty if the opposition kicks a goal from an innocuous last touch free kick inside forward fifty. Therefore, why don't make it like in soccer where the ball is thrown back in, but instead it has to be handballed back into play all across the field unless it's out on the four where you can kick back as per usual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just mapping my way through he's suggestion there.
Speaker 2: No, Well, the answer to that, I think is is he ever throwing within the fifty meter arc? But at the same time, why do we always you know, we've got points because you missed the goals, We have sixty six to six and you get another go here, you know all that sort of stuff. Why don't we just make it the last touch? So keep it in and if you don't, there you go. You'll get the same chance at the other end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Brett, they'll try between the arcs before they go inside forward fifty. But just make it clear.
Speaker 2: Because there was another series of cock ups over the weekend on ball going over the line and was outbounds.
Speaker 1: Well, if he's the only thing with that, and I know people.
Speaker 2: It was further at the wae arms.
Speaker 1: The simple one on that is if he's outside foot with his inside Let's go back that. If his inside foot is on the line and his outside foot is over the line and he marks it over the shoulder of his outside foot, it's clearly out of bounce.
Speaker 2: I heard you say that that made far too much sense. Craig says, re AFL promotion. This one for Jimmy, because Eddie likely can't answer it, says, my interest is in the admin side of Australian sports leagues and how they manage the business as a whole. In my opinion, the AFL is such a great and so popular culturally that it kind of runs itself and will always grow. But how much depends on the quality of administration of the game, It's promotion, etcetera.
Speaker 1: There you question, you can answer, yeah, well, the administration is important because they set the direction of the game and where you want it to move to with the on field product, but also the off field product. And we talk about a fair bit here. Craig and D's big on put the fix in fixturing because that can help you promotion, whether it be nine time Grand Finals.
Speaker 2: Or where you play fix out of fix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, sorry the other way around, and not put the fix in the fixture out, but take the fix out of it. So it is really important that your administration is strong, not only does for the now, but gets their head up and looks into advance. What does it look like to five ten years where we going teams, where we're playing games? What's the time slot?
Speaker 2: Not get swayed and not get swayed by the fashion of the day. Yes, because just about every landmark decision that has been made in the last thirty years of football, the big ones, ground rationalization, nighttime football, the.
Speaker 1: Draft, it's okay to upset people.
Speaker 2: Everything has been pooh poohed. All right. I was in a board when I told you this, a commission meeting, AFL Commission, AFL presidents and two clubs, North Melbourne and Essendon stood up and said, if you put us on Friday nights, we will take you to court? Will suit you? So a North carry on of it. They were the pioneers, oh they were, but they played like going But then you can discount that right. They jumped out and they wanted to fill their new investment down a marvel both teams and that's the way they thought they were going to make money in those days because the TV money wasn't it good. So I'm not criticizing where they were, but they missed the boat on that one. So all those big decisions were completely hold down. Okay, some of them should have been held down, like the disintegration of clubs, trying to kill off clubs and merge them. No one like I didn't like that one, but yeah, but most of the big ones you've got to go with. So I'm just been worried. I would love to see the AFL really tighten things up for a little while. That doesn't mean they can't be involved in social issues, but I think all things should focus on the development of the game. Okay, so we're getting you know, i'd love to I know we're playing up in l Springs this week, which is great for Melbourne playing up there, but I'd really like to see us doing some work into l Springs and into Darwin to get those pathways opened up which fell down a bit because of COVID. No one's fault. They're bigger social element. You know. If the AFL can solve the issues in Darwen and in Alice Springs, you know, they're the first organization in the world to be able to do so. But I think there's some really positive things we could do there.
Speaker 1: Hopefully we touch on there, Craig, but keep your questions coming through if you want us to get into a different angle of that.
Speaker 2: So the bottom line is, yes, the game saves itself from administration in a lot of cases, but yes we can turbo charge it if we folks us in the right areas.
Speaker 1: Ye yes, Brendan, West Coast money Why and West Coast pay the luxury tax and bolster their football department as well as look at private cross country flights and leverage their financial strength. No point adding gold bars to the vault every year and finishing last, totally great point, Brendan.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: If you can pay it and it does give you a benefit and can fast track your rise up the ladder, do it. There is a certain point where members go, you know what, you just give us another financial report where we made five million profit. If you sit and we made two men but we won an extra ten games, well.
Speaker 2: I suppose it also, and it's not any club at all. Clubs at the moment, we've got to be careful that people who come from a finance background, and you know, the corporate world, don't lose sight of the fact that.
Speaker 1: You're there to play football.
Speaker 2: And that's why you know things like when ross Lyon and Dimmer have a blue on the weekend, that's great because they're actually in their fight. They know what it's all about. You know, they're fighting for every inch in that situation for West Coast Egles. So I wouldn't have no complaint. Again, you have to make sure that balance itself right out, but I'd have no complaint with a private jet or a plane being used to ferry those sides on the long hauls outside the cellar cap Just that makes makes perfect sense to me. You know, work it out that if you know, all the other teams have to do the same, workout where they're disadvantaged and do it. I mean, there was a there was a proposal put forward by James Hurd and myself a long time ago to actually have a chartered flight starting on Thursdays that would fly players and supporters, but certainly players around the country. And yeah, it made sense, made commercial sense, made all the sense in the world. You would probably take off Paul Little's got an executive jet plays out at Tullamarine, so the players don't have to run the gauntlet through the crowds and sit in the back of the plane and all that sort of stuff made sense to me. Yep, so there's an answer. But yeah, I think West Coast, you know, the way they're going at the moment, they need teachers and coaches and things.
Speaker 1: Why not lots of development staff all that.
Speaker 2: Because we need them up and going again. West Coast, Yeah, they're very, very important part of our football world. Aiden says.
Speaker 1: If we assume that fifteen meter kicks have been clamped down to promote a faster flowing game, then I have another solution. If a players tackled over the boundary line and they prior opportune to dispose of the ball, then the tackle should be awarded and the player should be pinned holding the ball. I actually saw I reckon just say about four rounds ago. I started to actually pay a few where if you got tackled legitimately inside the boundyline and then it eventually finished over and you didn't make an attempt to get rid of it, they got pinned. But then it's that have went by the wayside.
Speaker 2: Again, I agree entirely with Aiden. I think that's one hundred percent. Thank you, Aiden. I should put you on the commission because if it's rumor, got a rumor I've heard heard that maybe the rules committee might be coming back. Really because I'm still on it, but I haven't heard from him for five years.
Speaker 1: You're on something that you don't know is still going.
Speaker 2: No, it's stopped during COVID and didn't come back.
Speaker 1: Really, same sort of setup with some like a mix of CEO players coaches.
Speaker 2: Something that you should be on. I would suggest you sit next to me because I'm still on it. I think I think I've been resold completely.
Speaker 1: I don't think I has got my number on the no.
Speaker 2: But we need to get a few people who may have a bit of a dissenting view. But that's a that's a very good it's I agree they just fall over the bandlin. But that's where last touch comes in because.
Speaker 1: If you take them mark and run out of bounds. See you take the mark in play running band it's still mark. So if you have a tackle and then eventually it takes you out of bounds, you still got to try and attempt to get rid of the footbag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, DEAs says the under nineteens he's going to there's a few pit into my forehand today. After the back of your discussion last week, I see a lot of young footballers get lost in the system. I agree with you, is before they have a chance to get to AFL level, they get their sports lives turned upside down with the thought of playing AFL. Unfortunately, squads get trimmed down on a regular basis. In a lot of cases, these young boys have their dreams shattered and are lost to football. Let's just stop there, okay, thoughts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I completely like we we often hear about like on the weekend, we hear about Mitch Duncan's three hundred and Christian Petrarca two hundred and Toby Green two fifty. For every one of those gentlemen, there's fifteen who are in and out of the system.
Speaker 2: And you and raise you on Ned Long who was discarded and could have easily landed on the scrap pape. He gets another go, fights through the VFL and is now the centnamon for calling it on top of the ladder. So, because I'm getting sick of hearing midfielders, I want people being called by their positions. It plays in the center.
Speaker 1: You know what I was thinking about the ruck Rover.
Speaker 2: He's not a Rover's centament.
Speaker 1: It's funny you say that. Again. We spent too much time together, so you must be in my brain. When I was growing up, I had a peculiar quirk that I like to be named as the center over a rock Rover. And I don't know why, but this is just a visual thing for me. When the coaches put your name, I felt like I was on the field and I just felt like center just sat more comfortable with me. So when they'd write down if you go in, what position do you play, I'd write center, because you know a lot of people go on ball or rock.
Speaker 2: No, I just center.
Speaker 1: I just had a hang out all like my underage footy, where do you play center?
Speaker 2: I used to like I wanted to play center because it meant you didn't change as well. Rock Rover changed in the forward half back flank, used to change what rovers in the forward pocket, Ruckman in the back pocket, and rock Rover on the half back flank or half forward flank, one or the other. I liked to stay in the center all day. If you need the rest, you just played a kick behind play for a few minutes, get your breath back.
Speaker 1: And it made no sense. There was no different because your start, but there was just it was always a weird hang up that I had, Like in my junior teams at Bell Park and at school football.
Speaker 2: When you played center back in the day, the coaching sort of manual back in those days for Cinnamon when I played, was that you you went deep into defense to support and you'd kick it. It was a throw in the forward pocket or something. You get back a kick behind play to try and market, get the angles right there, and then run and put it through if you could. Was that was that sort of your your positioning out What was your thinking in the way you play.
Speaker 1: My thinking was center was your case.
Speaker 2: You got the ball, so he just went and got it. Well, my thing was to think a bit more about it.
Speaker 1: My thing, he was saying, it was constantly positioning yourself also to mark the footy like you're another market. Whether you're intercepting like they kick it in deep, you come over market, or you push forward to market.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's just the way I approach. That's just I get over there and.
Speaker 2: Up he went.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, the third up, you're jumping the bruck, get up to take his skidney out on the way through it. No we don't do that. No, no, no, no, no, He continues there, whilst I know it will never happen because of the desire to get the biggest poll available, I would like to see the return of the under nineteen competition. This will give the youngsters a club to belong to under the auspices of a big club administrations. I've been screaming by this for years. I would rather get a letter from North Melbourne than Carter Accountants. So back, I've still got mine from turn Up the Training and easy View and all that sort of thing, signed Dennis Pagan and all that sort of stuff. Well John Dugdale, that's about as far as it went, and contracting to come an email. But but I think, and not only that, but I think it leads to the facilities now grade at all the AFL clubs and you go down to Disneyland and you havever look around and go, wow, this is unbelievable. You know, would you rather go now? Downdroating is do a great job. I'm not knocking them, but even if it's just as part of that that you know there's three clubs in Melbourne for example, that could be associated. If you're at Sandringham, obviously you've got you know, some killed Melbourne should be involved and I don't know who else is there probably calling, I don't know whatever, But if you had that sort of thing, it just makes makes for far better interaction. Do you still have pine ight's these days? So they should have every every AFL club, I reckon should have a pine ight a pine Night every week at their headquarters and bring in all turning on under eleven's. You know the mild days was the Northern Metropolitan Football League. You know, go down there and you can have one player turn up and you know, the assistant coach or whatever, and you look around and maybe you know, have a swim in the pool beforehand and go for a run around the the oval and have a kick to have a training run and do something like that. That'd be fair, How good would that be?
Speaker 1: You just pull about great memories of the old pie night.
Speaker 2: That's it. I remember that. I remember the Sint Dominic's under eleven's and Broady I was a pinineid on Andy and the coach said to me after training. He said, you come in to night and I'm not quite sure and he said, no, you've got to come tonight. We've got to gues speaker. I said, oh yeah, and he said a guy called Alan Keller Grew. You know about Ellen Killer Grew, Yeah, who got arrested at Geelong going up the race the wrong way in a blue that happened at halftime, just before halftime. But he was the hot Gospeling coach Killer and he got up this day, this night, I was nine years of age, and he gave an old fashion this is what it's all about. You know. He's a devout Catholic as well as at the Dominic Football Club, and so all the pride in everything that was your sort of hearing it. And at that stage, this is in the seventies, the move was towards no trophies and everyone's equal and all that sort of stuff. And so I was looking for something outside of what my family was saying to me. And suddenly this guy gets up, Wow, and I kept. His message still resonates with me to this very day. I ended up writing a year twelve essay about it as part of my exams. About the guy and his influence and the knock on effect of these type of things. So that's how big the influence can be if you get somebody up who connects with somebody. I don't have anyone else in that room at some dominic's Imbroady even remembers that it happened for me. It was like soul on the roads at Damascus and suddenly I at sea. It was it was, it was that bigger moment for me good and that changed. It did change my life, changed my what I needed now. So there there's we've got the Pineid back under nine means.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that just all on that restructuring. There was an opportunity with COVID when all competitions sort of got shut down at those underage levels. Story set it, but it wasn't taken. So we are where we are.
Speaker 2: So I think we should be playing. Looking at the VFL as well. I think, you know, we should be putting in teams from and even having a second division. But Narry Warren and uh, you know, Craigie Burn and all the growth theorists should be in there. You know, they should's great having Coburg and all the historical clubs and port Port, Melbourne and things, but nothing in the city area. We should be beyond the ring Roads where we should be. Casey should have a team, Narry Warren, get the best teams in there. Use the local competition as the feeder competition. Support those loan book competitions. I was always filthy when they roll righted the VFA. That's to call the VFA back in the day. But the VFA used to have first senior's team, second reserves team and an under nineteens in first division, second division, and you had the VFL back in those days. Into the AFL. They just disappeared and then you head your like all competitions. Our population's gone through the roof. We seem to have far less. And I've said this plenty of times to you, But I mentioned in Northern Metropolitan Football it doesn't exist. So my old team, so Dominics doesn't exist. Neither does the league in the fastest growing corridor in the country. All right, I'm with you, Mant Thanks Dairs, Brian, you can go with this Hawks signings.
Speaker 1: Let's address the elephant in the room. Sam Mitchell's signings of Battle and Barrass haven't worked out, and Sisley's impact has dropped off a cliff as a system no longer works. Wouldn't the Hawks have been better off using that money to chase Tom Lynch from the Tigers.
Speaker 2: Brian bra I think to have a drug test for you.
Speaker 1: It hasn't quite worked. But they're a lot further in front than they were this time last year.
Speaker 2: Tom Lynch from the Tigers the tolls.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think what he's saying is he should he have gone after key Ford and said some more key Boucks.
Speaker 2: I think that's I thought Battle and Brass worked for the first couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: They're all just trying to find their place.
Speaker 2: Of course, what is I would have thought. Siicly has just really banged up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's going to cook groin which is impacted.
Speaker 2: Major surgery on his shoulder in the preseason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a knockdown effect. So Cicily and Scrimshaw are finding they've gone from taking the oppositions big boys with Frosty and now Battle and Brass to that. So where do we fit?
Speaker 2: And some times we said this when we bought big on Hawthorne when they were zero five last year. My buying was largely on the comeback of will Day, who I reckon is as could have the impact and play of Chris Chad. I think he's I think he's that good and I think he's so important to that Hawthorne side. He's been out. It's not just one thing. Obviously, people are going to work on Hawthorne now. You know, they brought a lot of attention on themselves and they're getting a lot of attention. They're now being coached against as opposed to ambushing clubs, so there's a lot of that in it. But I think Hawthorne still got a lot left in season twenty.
Speaker 1: Will be okay. They're in a much better launch pad this time compared to last year.
Speaker 2: I said Hawthorne and Stephen Quartermain's name came up. There you go, there's three names. Tell me read those three names of messages I've just received talking about Hawthorne number twenty three. There you go, I've invited into the box for Friday Night, which is filled up with Hawthorne blakes, and then give it to them. Win the pies, roll over them. Kai Broadcasting broadcast, We did a bit of broadcasting the other day. I just read it says, how do you feel about the new media landscape you're shaving up this season. How do you feel about the commentary teams? We'll talk about that. Friday Footy on Fox had what Hutson and Montana aw call in the game. It's like serving messed potatoes with a side of fries and hash brown.
Speaker 1: Well, I like all three of those. I'm a big potato mashed potatoes.
Speaker 2: I went to my auntie and uncle's place in Ireland and my wife, Carlor was with me. There were six types of potatoes. Yeah, it's colored potatoes, messed potatoes, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, what else? And fries? And I ate them all.
Speaker 1: What a servant the potatoes.
Speaker 2: The Irish died when.
Speaker 1: NOCKI Jesus punches above, it's white. The potato.
Speaker 2: Kept the generations, kept the country alive. The old default was always one play by play, one color commotato. So maybe I'm just old fashion. But three play callers as lopsided as heck Well.
Speaker 1: I think Montagna was special comments, a bit of special comments. But his calling is really good too, Les Montagna.
Speaker 2: I like him, Yeah, I think you should. I like two commentators. I think one sometimes ends up becoming a bit monotonous, and I like the changeover when you have two calls. So when I called on Fox Footy, I actually said I want to have a second caller, not because of any other reason other than I called a couple of own was it no problem? But I liked the idea of flicking between the two picks the play and as the game changes, so when there's a turnover and get into it and it keeps the energy up. Is the way I like it.
Speaker 1: I think you're too tough on potatoes, Kui agreg the commission. Why does edithink? Sorry stadium? Why does anythink it's acceptable for God to continue for another term? The AFL needs strong, clear, overt leadership. The pendulum has swung to NRL. Look at the daily media reporting generally now more NRL than AFL five years ago. The opposite this is urgent vision and action is needed.
Speaker 2: But I think what again? I think what we need to do is have a good look at where we are all over the place, and so if it needs change, yeah, but before we say we need change, let's find out who the change agent will be. But I think that I think it's time for a good refresh at the AFL. Whether that means Richard Gorda goes or not. But I certainly think that there needs to be a refresh, And yeah, I think they need to. You're not worked really well the War Council during COVID we had, you know, and we don't want to go back to the old days. Whether the presidents are in there pushing their own barrow, but they're doing that now anyway. I think they have far more lobbying capacity than what they used to do in the old commission days.
Speaker 1: Do you have a line of sight at all? And announced I know? But when IFL is a big glacier when it comes to decision making, do we know when the goid decision is going to be, well, no, he's moving on or yes he's no?
Speaker 2: I think, I think, I don't think. I know that Richard wants to stay on for another term or at least until a transition comes into play. There is a couple of positions up at the moment. See what's also happened is the AFL Commissioner has now become you know where you need to have x amount of women on the commission, which is a good thing. You also have to have said now we have to have an Indigenous commissioner once. One time we had five commissioners and they were it was on and you know, supply and demand. People wanted to be on there, really good people and it was you know, once you start to spread it out and become single issue senators, then you end up like the Senate. And so I think we need to get a few people in there.
Speaker 1: Do we know by finals time or is it no?
Speaker 2: No, I don't know. Well they've they've had the the selection committee, which I've sat on over the journey, and I sat on it when we appointed the first ever female commissioner and I said at the time, rather than get rid of Bill Kelty, who was a very very very very very good commissioner, sensational commissioner, so important, we'll just add one on which CAROLINEI also remember at the time going having conniptions because she thought that it was just adding on that it was a token position. What I wanted to was actually strengthen and Sam Moston, who has gone on to become the Governor General of Australia, got the job because she was from New South Wales. She was connected up there and we needed to get women into the whole idea and she was a great champion of women's football and had an impact. Linda Dessau at that stage was the other option who went on to become the governor of Victoria, and Linda is sensational. Why she didn't get up was that I think we had two essenon people on there as it was three out of six was going to be a bit too much at that stage. So then she evn became a commissioner. She got on eventually and was a wonderful commissioner. Some have actually said maybe she should be the next chair and be that position as a chair as opposed to an executive chairperson. There's a lot of things to look out there, but no, I think there's no doubt that we need.
Speaker 1: To So do you think it will happen in the coming months? Another thing we talk about for eight months and I don't know.
Speaker 2: I can't get people to answer that question at the moment, to be curious, to be absolutely honest, that's a question that I'm asking as well.
Speaker 1: Thanks for that one, Brenda. Helping players, I'm a heartbroken Eagle supporter living in Melbourne. How can I volunteer and help, especially with the afl W welfare seriously, after recent events, how can a member of the general public help our boys and.
Speaker 2: Girls well, bring the club, send a letter, Brenda, these are professional organizations and you don't want enthusiastic amateurs. You don't want to have too many people in the place. I have a say, which I'm going to I'll say, but then let me correct it. Okay, Well, but volunteers can cost you a fortune. Okay, the right volunteers are worth their weight in gold. Hopefully you're the right one, Brenda. But what you don't need is more people just around the place, and you need people who can actually contribute in the areas that you need contribution. So I agree with Brenda. There's nothing better than having people there supporting particularly aflw particularly vfl or Sandful or Waffle. In those situations, the senior teams have probably got enough. But yeah, I think there's always need for welfare. And that's part of the reason why Jimmy and I I think in concert and saying that the soft cap needs to be addressed and fast.
Speaker 1: Ye I want to ask you next one, because you're mister Stadiah. Could the AFL think big sell Marvel's air rights?
Speaker 2: I'm sure and to build above.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, yeah, that makes sense now and use the proceeds to build a sixty to sixty five k seat roofed stadium and a world class golf course in Royal Park.
Speaker 2: Stop. So, Royal Park is not the spot because they'll never let anything. They turned it from football grounds back in the day around the Royal Children's Hospital now into passive recreation, wetlands and an oasis and it works, works well. So no, it's a Royal park. But I like your thinking because it's I like it because it's a lot like mine on this way.
Speaker 1: So I'll finish off part of the rest of the Neil suggestion. The park has, so just to continue, the park has rail, tram and free way access and even the airport skybus can drop people from the airport of the gate. It also gives essenon Carlton and North and the booming Northwest Corridor which you're spoken about at doorstop venue. Royal Park hosted footy in the eighteen sixties. This would be a true homecoming and Melbourne tecond beating heart of sport.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, because Royal Park won't happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, just but that whole concept another.
Speaker 2: Pre concepts good, So where would I go. I've promulgated the idea of selling Marvel getting whatever you can for it there because it's probably had it stay. Yeah, my word, that's it. But that that's like Waverley, We've got that built this. The two areas I'd like to look at is I'd like to look at building a fantastic stadium at Gosh's Paddock, getting rid of Amy Park, but really building something great that could.
Speaker 1: Be for give it to the rectangle stadium purpose. Yeah, but that's fantastic for this the rectangle sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not as fantastic as you think. It's all right, it's okay.
Speaker 1: Did you apply it and saying that, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying is that that that doesn't mean we lose the rectangular stadium. I would I'd probably fix up the athletic stadium a bit more down there as well. Gives you an opportunity for some of the smaller games. But if you built something that could have the roof for concerts and really turning something along the lines of what they've done at the bernabout in at ACMA Land. Okay, you have a look at that and you'll get look at look it up in YouTube and look at what they do with the floor and what they do with the ceiling. The whole thing is fantastic. The other one, though, if you want to sort of stay down that end, is there's a block of an area of land called eGate. Have you ever heard of eGate?
Speaker 1: Took me where we so?
Speaker 2: Gate is another two Anthony Rocker torpedoes from Marvel.
Speaker 1: Stadium heading towards the big wheel.
Speaker 2: Further down go past the wheel, So it's the area. Yeah, that wheel's on the closer to the water gates on the other side of big block of land there you've got you know, the old Market gardens is a ton of land there that people have been looking at for a long time. So that's even closer to proper where I think the new Arden station and things that are happening. So so it all works. So to Neil's point, that's probably the place. So can you get enough money out of the commercial rights for Marvel and buyl that over and build an e Gate stadium there that also works for women's football and all those sorts of things. That's where I'd be heading. Don't forget, We've got to build this as well at some stage.
Speaker 1: And you want a roof on this well, I think people aren't awag You and I both blend a sofa. It's a roof, but it's kind of a I don't think it is a marble roof.
Speaker 2: No, it's an outdoor roof, if you know what I mean. I mean. The other one to have a look at for everybody is have a look at Frankfort Stadium and what they do with their It's almost like an umbrella opening up and that would then give you the opportunity to have a big screen in the middle of the ground as well, obviously high enough for the ball, doesn't it a bit you know what I mean? And and really get this place humming. But we need to do more with that. The big the big ass and state government doesn't have the money that it once has, no, but there's money elsewhere. You've got to think, where are we going to be in twenty twenty fifty with this stadium or at least twenty forty twenty thirty five. Last year Collingwood and Melbourne stopped in the last quarter for forty five minutes. If that had been for a place in the finals, people have been having gone berserk. Lightning is the thing, whether you're at climate denial or whatever, climate has changed.
Speaker 1: Part of this is to update the couple of the train stations around you too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that that whole connection, and we should be connecting into Melbourne Olympic Park, trust into that Tennis center. That should be the area where you are. You know, I look at it as well, Jimmy, and I say, Okay, what's changed now even in the last two months. You've got to queue up a lot longer now to get in since those knuckleheads brought the guns in. Do you do that? Well, maybe it's better if you actually instead of being up the pubs in Swan streeta in the city, instead of landing here with a minute ago, if you actually were inside the stadium, have already done your entry, you've done your checks and there's things to do. That's that's where life's going, I believe. But Neil A great Yeah, it's a great question one clearly that we've been talking thinking about, and yeah, all that is on the table, but everyone seems to just tighten up on how you go back getting the money. Whereas I look, you have a look at Tottenham Hotspur and you have a look at the Frankfurt Stadium and certainly look at the Bernabau and they can't jump over the money they're making now that they turned it into a different style of place. Again, you have got that over there that's a seventy story building. If it went that way right, it's empty, it's sort of full. Well, this week there's one game for three. If there's three on a weekend, that's what nine hours. Ye, Now there's ways of doing things. I mean, you know we're here because we've turned this box. There's no one else in any of the boxes. We've turned this into a studio because it makes sense to do something a bit different. So yeah, I think we need to have a look at it and just where we're going with all these things. Thank you, Neil great. They were all fantastic emails. Keep the emails coming. We love all this stuff on Eddie and Jimmy at nine dot com dot au. Thanks to our friends of tab and our friends at Lexus of Blackburn Andrew more than a team. We'll catch it tomorrow for a look at this week's Around the Football