Speaker 1: Eleven degrees in Melbourne, a shower or two tomorrow a top of fifteen. It's nine o'clock. Good evening. I'm CAROLLI Kats and Bara's motorbikes will soon be able to ride in bus lanes across Melbourne. A trial has been conducted across several locations to assess the benefits. Victorian Motorcycle councilors behind the push, claiming it would improve safety and ease congestion. Amazon says its investment in Australia will help upskill workers and create jobs of the future. The tech giant will expand its data centers in Sydney and Melbourne. Over the next four years. Amazon Web Services will increase its financial commitment by seven billion dollars, taking it to twenty billion. Speaking from company headquarters in Seattle, Boss Matt Garman says he sees Australia as a growth market.
Speaker 2: The demand that we're seeing for cloud computing ANAI is massive, from banking to healthcare to retail. We estimate the technology over the next decade will drive over six hundred billion dollar increases in Australia's GDP of that year twenty thirty.
Speaker 1: In Overseas news The emergency services in Israel say at least ten people have been killed during renewed Iranian missile attacks overnight. His BBC reporter Hubert Shaeger in Jerusalem.
Speaker 3: For a second night, sirens sounded across Israel as their defenses tried to intercept Iranian missiles. In Tamra in the north of the country, a mainly Palestinian town, a house partially collapsed after being hit. Hours later, in a second wave of attacks, a building in the central city of Batiyam was badly damaged. As morning broke, emergency teams were still searching for the missing. In Iran, there were fresh Israeli as strikes. The targets included the Defense Ministry headquarters in Tehran and sites Israel says were linked to the country's nuclear program, including a Nile dappot, in what appeared to be the first attack on Iran's energy infrastructure.
Speaker 1: The FBI is offering a fifty thousand dollars reward in the hunt for a gunman who killed a Democratic Party politician and her husband in the US state of Minnesota. Melissa Hortman and her husband Mark were shot dead inside their home, while fellow Democrats Senator John Hoffman and his wife were targeted by the same gunman, believed to have impersonated law enforcement. They were shot multiple times and were taken to hospital. President Trump has condemned the shooting and says such horrific violence will not be tolerated in the US. Funerals are being held for some of the victims of the Air India's disaster on Thursday in the Indian city of ahma Addad.
Speaker 4: Warrenbull reports some two hundred and seventy bodies have been recovered from the crash site on the campus of a medical college. More than thirty victims have been formally identified using DNA samples provided by relatives. Indian media are reporting that the plane had almost reached the end of the airport's three and a half kilometer runway when it took off, with the last recorded words from the cockpit that it hadn't achieved sufficient thrust and was falling, but there is still no firm indication of what caused the crash.
Speaker 1: Checking finance one Australian dollar trading at sixty five US since.
Speaker 5: Travel about every Thursday where you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: And the end of round fourteen of the AFL Carlton has beaten West Coast eighty six to fifty two at Perth Stadium, recording their sixth win of the season. Earlier at Adelaide Oval at twenty five point win by Port Adelaide over Melbourne. Australian Formula One driver Oscar Piastre will start from third on the grid in the Canadian Grand Prix. George Russell qualified fastest in Montreal, ahead of Max Verstappen and Adam Scott, is just one shot off the lead heading into the final round of the US Open. He shot a three hundred pass sixty seven to sit in equal second behind Sam Burns. Melbourne Vixen's have pipped the New South Wales Swifts seventy to sixty eight in supernet Bull at the John Cane Arena. And that is the latest news and sport.
Speaker 6: On Saturday morn in Cereals chapters one through fifteen.
Speaker 7: Fly Paper, Penny Loafers, Lucky.
Speaker 6: Strike, Green Flaptops, sock Pops, Studi, Baker PEPSI, Please Ah, Do you remember the cigar bands on your hand, your daddy's socks, rolled down stick sne bugs and aviator caps with flaps button down Movie stars on Pixy cut tops and nickers.
Speaker 7: To your knees. Ah, do you remember these?
Speaker 8: Seven after nine on a Sunday night. Hello, I'm Simon Owens.
Speaker 9: And this is Andrew MacLaren and have good to see you, Simon as always.
Speaker 8: Yes, good to see you. How's your week been? And it's been good.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna well, we've got a little theme sponsored theme coming up in a moment about what we've done of recent times.
Speaker 8: Okay, yes, so should we get straight into that? Well, I think we should all right. Weekend Wrap years.
Speaker 5: Three a w traffic thanks to tribute Females, compassionate crafted.
Speaker 8: I meant to tell you guys here last week the credit was wrong. We should probably report that. That's supposed to say Weekend Wrap for whoever. But it's a traffic report credit that's been mislogged. The blind Factory, the blind Factory, Yes, thank you.
Speaker 9: Thank you. That does remember when CHOI thank you so much. Good evening to you, Ben, Yes, she were off to a flying start here.
Speaker 8: I'm still on overnight time with Patta.
Speaker 9: I still think it's morning.
Speaker 8: So the only ONOD who really hasn't missed up is Greg and he's the new guy. It's good.
Speaker 9: But Ben gives so much to the station, doesn't he? I have his appreciated gives and gives and give.
Speaker 8: He gives and gives for two whole days a week and then takes a five day weekend A.
Speaker 9: Half days A good one. You're Ben, Good to see you and Greg too.
Speaker 8: Anyway, so we're into the weekend. Rap, what did you get up? I was part of a.
Speaker 9: Big poker game on five stakes, fairly high.
Speaker 8: Do you wear a suit? We like Cuban cigars? No, it was nothing like that.
Speaker 9: It was it was well, it was fair house cape and of course, remember when it does not approve of gambling, you understand that, so you know, gambling or drinking or anything.
Speaker 8: Anything like that.
Speaker 9: Any funny stuff either, No, none of that muck. But I lost forty six dollars at the end of the night.
Speaker 8: We'll see. That's a night's entertaining. I looked at it that way.
Speaker 9: I thought, you know, if I went out for a dinner and a show, well do a lot more than forty six bucks.
Speaker 8: Did you eat food whilst you were there?
Speaker 9: Two party piles?
Speaker 8: Oh well, okay, yeah, that's not much. I was thinking like, if you had a steak and salad or something whilst you were there. And that's a bit fancy for a poker game. What have we had a bottle of veno?
Speaker 9: Or did you? Or I love playing I love playing cards. I'm giving away a secret here with guys who drink as they become stupid at the table and they make mistakes.
Speaker 8: They get to be braved.
Speaker 9: Oh yes, and they become very careless with their money play playing against drunks or semi drugs is a delight, but you rarely find it okay.
Speaker 8: So your friends drunk, so you were accused? No, because you lost so clearly they were sober as you are. They were What a boring party? What did you do during the week? I went to the films, I went to the movies theater. I went out to Baronia because I love the Baronia Cinema because it's an independently owned one and the guy who runs at Tom and his daughter. It's a family affair. They just run this private little cinema and it's really cheap, like it's thirteen bucks for an adult to go and see a movie that's good. It's very good. Yeah, So even though it's a half hour drive to get there. That's where I go when I want to see.
Speaker 9: A movie, saving the money by drawing the car.
Speaker 8: Up the highway. It's more about supporting them than it is about saving money, because yeah, if I didn't drive all that distance and paid for a more expense cinema closer to home, i'd save time. But it's been roughly the same. But I like to support Baronia Cinema there. And what did you see? I took my son and one of my daughters to see the new Lelo and Stitch movie, which is so There was a Disney animated movie twenty years ago, probably Lelo and Stitch, lovely cartoon about a little alien who comes down and reeks havoc on Earth and ends up he becomes a pet to a young girl from a broken home, and it's a lovely little cartoon.
Speaker 9: This is the.
Speaker 8: The human acting one with special effects for the alien. So it's a reboot of it, but done with real actors, and it's not as good. I'm sorry to say. Ah, yeah, I thought you were about to say.
Speaker 9: Your face looked all hopeful and happy there.
Speaker 8: Look it was nice. If I hadn't seen the original cartoon, I would have said this was a great movie, but they've changed one or two things in it that just didn't work, not to be politically correct. I hope, well, yeah, one of the mos. Yeah, I won't. I won't talk about it because it's the way the movie ends. But yeah, the fact that they change the end to be more politically correct actually infuriated me. Yeah, because you're not going to win people over by playing all those cards. People are sick of that.
Speaker 9: Oh you're looking at one right here. We've got happier things ahead, haven't. We had a very interesting late sort of addition to remember when the Sunday Night, and that is from the cinema and historical c cinemas. You've got the actual name of the company of the body. You talk about what we're doing after eleven?
Speaker 8: Yes, So after eleven Simon Smith from the National Film and Sound Archive is going to join us because they've uncovered some new footage that will be of interest to people. So who's going to have a chat to us and tell us about that?
Speaker 9: Yes, been hidden? I think of someone's garage sort of thing for sixty.
Speaker 8: Years, which is where all the best finds come from. I can imagine wonderful stuff. So that's after eleven, Kevin Trask of that's what he're taking his way back to the seventies tonight, isn't it? Yes?
Speaker 9: And also in a marment or two, speaking of things past and all that, we're going to be roaming around the old drive ins, aren't we.
Speaker 8: We are with a man who knows all about that sort of stuff because he ran and owned a drive in cinema. Wow, So we'll chat to him after this. Located directly opposite the main gates of Forkner Cemetery are our friends at Cameo Memorials Andrew. They're always there and they always care.
Speaker 9: They've been caring for a long time, setting memories in stone for entire generations of Melbourne families. It's way back back in the eighteen seventies, that's right.
Speaker 8: They build monuments to individual needs and they respect your wishes because they know, like they just know what's good services.
Speaker 9: So sure and how important all this too, especially the very sensitive time, vulnerable time in your life. Yes, they offer memorials, pluques, fountains, mantlepieces, they've got all sorts of styles. We go through this every week, but we should because they've got just about everything for anybody, just in case.
Speaker 8: You haven't been listening for the last five years.
Speaker 9: Asian, Jewish, Islamic Orthodox, they've even got for we Scots have even got a little kilts statues he little kilts they've got with two little legs coming down.
Speaker 8: I was worried what you were we gonna say, no, no, no, the old what's worn under the kilt?
Speaker 9: A large lesson of carve statues at all sizes are available too.
Speaker 8: And if your monument and legs are looking a little on the run down side, Cameo Memorials can fix it. They restore and maintain memorials as well.
Speaker 9: Yes, it's going to be tricky when Cameo do a statue of my in me and Mkilton the legs coming How will I get the blue veins in my legs?
Speaker 8: Yes? Yes, but I think if anyone could you know what they'll do the experts at this they'll just rip a page out of a melway and wrap that around your leg because the streets look just very similar to your varica's veins.
Speaker 9: Very creative and I love you for it. Simon.
Speaker 8: Affordable prices.
Speaker 9: See this can't discounts caring guidance. It's Cameo Memorials.
Speaker 8: Check out the website Cameo Memorials dot com dot au. Andrew, when was the last time you went to a drive in cinema?
Speaker 9: Sadly too long ago. I'm going to say fifteen years or so ago, Dramala.
Speaker 8: We'll see. That's why they all closed down from your lack of support.
Speaker 9: And a lot of others said it was the video shop that sort of did them in. Wasn't it more than else? I was old.
Speaker 8: I think it was your lack of support. A man who's very angry with you joins us now David Kilderry, who ran the Lunar drive in for years and years and years.
Speaker 10: Hello David god Simon good Andrew.
Speaker 8: Now David, so tell us movies, drive ins and stuff? Where did that get first enter your life? Where did the love of it come from?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 10: I remember going to the drive in as a little kid, being flopped in the backseat of the family Volkswagen and fighting for viewing space with my brothers and sisters. But the story I like to tell is that in nineteen seventy four, my parents built a second story extension on the family home in Reservoir. My sister chose the bedroom with the view of the backyard and I got the one that looked out to a drive in screen. So from that point on I was hooked.
Speaker 9: See how about that got no sound but you got to see the action.
Speaker 10: Well, with the type of movies they were running in the mid seventies andrew that, you didn't really need sound.
Speaker 9: And it was going fairly predictable plots. Yeah, that's intriguing, and you ended up with the controlling the lunar. How many drive ins do you know are still operating around Melbourne or in the greater Melbourne area?
Speaker 12: Well, but this.
Speaker 10: Two in Melbourne. There's Village Coburg and down at Dremana as well, but there's only twelve left in Australia. And if we were talking just a few months ago, I would have said ten because two of them, one in Queensland and one in South Australia, had their screens blown down and that's a problem. Once they get to fit sixty years old, the rust and rot starts to take effect and storms took them both out. But I'm pleased to save both of those drivings, one in Cooper Pedy and one in air back open again and screening now.
Speaker 9: So well, the Cooper PD drive in. There's a thought. Hell, I just can't imagine, but of course there is obviously one. What would a screen cost a replace?
Speaker 10: Oh well, look, they're upwards of three to four hundred thousand dollars now because they're massive. They're as large as a suburban house block when if you lay the thing on the ground. But of course you need about twenty concrete mixers worth of concrete just to secure the foundations before you start with all the steel work coming up out of the ground.
Speaker 8: Well, now that that answers David a question that I had for you, because I occasionally go out to the one Turner trash and treasure place out there, which is on the old one turn A drive in cinema spot, and the concrete base, the big concrete blocks that were at the bottom of the screen are still there. And I look at it when I go there, and I go, I wonder why they never got rid of those blocks.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, it's like an iceberg. Most of it's below the surface. But you're right. The tragic story with the old hoytz Wan Turner drive in was is that in nineteen eighty two Heints made the decision to add a second screen there and it cost them about a million dollars with all the ash fels and new projection building. So it was a twin screen, but for just one year. So you mentioned earlier the videos. They had a devastating effect and that driving closed as a twin drive in only after one year of operation with the two screens.
Speaker 9: See the heuts took a bath there, didn't they financially?
Speaker 10: Absolutely? The business changed really fast. Andrew, I was working in drivings in those days and while they were closing faster than we could eat a steak sandwich from the snack bar.
Speaker 8: Did you ever try some drivings?
Speaker 9: I know did I never actually went to one of them, but that had this But there were rock bands sometimes playing before the movie at some drive ins.
Speaker 10: Oh look, it was huge our driving at Danning on the Luna when it was village in the seventies. They had Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs play there one afternoon and the sound was so loud they got complaints from two suburbs away. So of course your good friend Pete Smith used to compare battle of the bands at the north Land Twin Driving and Denise Dreisdale was one of the go go dances there, so there's been lots of live music at drivings over the years.
Speaker 8: We've just had a text coming through. My last trip to the Lunar driving that I went to was to see one of the worst films I ever paid to see, The Flash in twenty twenty two. It's not your fault if the product's not.
Speaker 10: Good, though, No, that's right. I'd take a fence if it was the hamburgers or the donuts. But giving it to the movie, we just show them, we don't make them.
Speaker 8: Like the hard top.
Speaker 9: There is a lot of money, a lot of profit comes from, of course, the concessions, doesn't it from the hamburgers and the lollies?
Speaker 10: Absolutely, Andrew look the concessions as we call them in the industry, whether it be hot food or just the popcorn and the drinks.
Speaker 12: It's important.
Speaker 10: But I should point out that there are cinemas where snacks are still reasonably affordable. You can make good profit without charging extortion at prices. And when I go, and I still go to the cinema and drive in quite frequently, when I see prices that I think are over the top, I think that's just pushing a little bit too far. There's still good money in it without being ridiculous.
Speaker 8: Now, So how did you come to run? So you ended up owning the Lunar Driving, didn't you?
Speaker 12: We did?
Speaker 10: Yeah, Look, I'd spent my career working. I started at Greater Union Cinemas, working at the Forum, which many of your listeners would remember, perhaps even as the State. So I started there about forty four years ago as an assistant projectionist, then rose through the projectionist, worked at Hoyts, worked in their cinemas and drivings, then went to Village and I got to supervise both drivings and cinemas there. So the natural progression and what I always wanted to do was to run my own theater. So with a partner and my brother, we reopened the former closed Village Danino Driving as it was over twenty years ago and ran it for over twenty years.
Speaker 8: Was it a Was it a good community in that if you're up against Heyts and Village, who were, of course sort of the two big ones and you're operating as an independent did they you know they sort of a bit not happy with you? Or was it all a big friendly community?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 10: I wouldn't say it was absolutely friendly. But look, given I knew very senior people at both companies, I remember that one company in particular said to me they were very supportive of having strong independent cinemas out there, and plus we were going to hire a lot of films from their distribution arm and that we did. Look, luckily, we weren't competing with the drive in against one of theirs. At the time. Both Dromana and Coburg were equi distant from us at Luna Daninong, so as long as there was a forty five minute drive, we weren't really standing on their toes. And look, some people just prefer the drive into an indoor cinema, and we drew from a large area. And in fact, we said almost every one of our customers had to drive past the cinema to get to us. So they're making a drive in choice rather than a choice on a particular movie or not.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 9: Talking with David Kilderry about drive in movies, and there was a big problem with musicals, view that the drive in for years and years has been it's been fixed now. Of course, you can you tune into your car radio, your car sound system too. Here here the movie soundtrack. But I remember going to see Paint your Wagon at the and then you've got this little tiny speaker hooks on your window, and all that eight track sound or whatever sixteen track sound that Holly would have gone to the bottle of creating for the movie was just reduced to this little timid it was.
Speaker 8: That was a bit problem Muslim, all of.
Speaker 10: That beautiful seventy millimeter six track stereo sound folded down into one little insect eaton speaker hang its right window. Yeah, look, thankfully sound improved. Andrew. You know, all are driving since the nineties have used FM stereo sound. So we used to say that the better your car sound system is, the better our movie is going to sound. So that was a big improvement. Yet people loved the nostalgia of the speakers. They didn't want us to take the speakers away. They wanted them there. They wanted to look at them.
Speaker 11: They want to use.
Speaker 10: Them, absolutely, it's synonymous with the driving, but they didn't want to listen to them. They wanted the better quality sounds.
Speaker 8: But then that drive off with it still attached to the window.
Speaker 11: Ah.
Speaker 10: Luckily only very few people did that because it did cause problems for us.
Speaker 12: And for then.
Speaker 9: I remember there was a Sandringham drive and I went to it a long time ago and there was a little section where you could just sit and these were people who I remember I spoke to them at interval and they just came to the drive in to watch the movie. There was a speaker there and they actually lived only a street away and they just walked up. And did you provide seats out in actual seats for non vehicle people?
Speaker 10: We did, and the indoor sections that they had for those people at some of the drivings. Burwood had one as well, and there was one at our driving. They were called walking so they were in cinema seats with a big glass wall and a speaker. And that's for people that wanted to arrive on a bike or walk. In fact, I heard even some people arrived on horses to view movies in the early days.
Speaker 8: That way it driving wonderful. I didn't realize what a great.
Speaker 11: Idea it was a good idea. Yeah, now you.
Speaker 8: Do presentations and public speaking and stuff, don't you on this? Is it just on drivings that you do it?
Speaker 10: Or no? I do it? On a few topics mostly related to cinemas, but also do some to do with cars as well. But the most popular public talk I do was on the history of drivings, and I do that quite often, and I also do quite a few on cinemas as well. And I've got one coming up at the paran Mechanics Institute on August the twelfth, and that's called the Loss Suburban Cinemas of Melbourne. And that's a free talk that's happening there, so you can book online if there's still some seats available, and you'll hear all about Melbourne's loss suburban cinemas.
Speaker 9: I've got another thing that really well did the cinema, the drive in cinemas in David was the fact that so much of their land became just extremely valuable. The Clinton Drive, it was, well, how many acres was the luna to give me some.
Speaker 10: Luna was fifteen But Clayton that you mentioned Metro and a village Clayton across the road from the university there it was on twenty five acres of some of the most prime land. And when you think of Tuak driving up on the hill there on Turrak Road and Standringham, as we mentioned, the moment these places started to have marginal operating figures. That was a very easy decision to sell them and get the profits. And that's the problem with drivings today. They're christ out of the populated areas.
Speaker 9: It's unbelievable now people there was a driving in track and that you know, what was it two or three thousand dollars per square footed land or something like that into ITCT and there used to be driving there. Yeah, very hard to justify running it as a.
Speaker 10: Theater, that's right, Yeah, it really People ask me often, you know, will drive ins open again? Will anyone build one? Well? They might, but you have to find an area that's close enough to a population on a piece of land that is going to have land tacks rates that are going to be affordable. And that's one of the reasons we closed it, Danny Kong is the lane tax and all the operating costs just just became too high for us to maintain the driving there now.
Speaker 8: David Kilderry, Captain Elfie has called in an occasional caller to the programs I believe with the question for you get a Captain Elfie.
Speaker 12: And the greeting sir, and how do you do David? It's fantastic what you're doing.
Speaker 10: But what I used to do, But thank you very much.
Speaker 12: Yes, okay, if you can just put your mind down to Lawn, back where I used to live and did all my holidays down there at my grandmother's place around the corner from the Lawn Hotel. Well, we had a cinema there since I'm saying from the sixties onwards, and it's I want to they're having a few concerts there and stuff, but it's not the old cinema with those beautiful seats, and the chap is down you know, and the chap who did it, who ran it, his nickname was Mooney. Don't ask me what his real name was, but we always knew him as Mooney. And fortunately I've heard from some of the boys down at Lawn that he did pass away. But it was a classic. And then people want to change it to I don't know, some venue even units. I mean, my god, it's.
Speaker 10: A beautiful theater down at Lawn. I know it very well. And unfortunately it changed hands about two years ago, and they had plans to run movies not just at holidays there but all year round, and unfortunately there wasn't enough numbers to support it. And now I, like you said, I heard that it's now doing live performances and various other things. I just hope that they're able to at least reopen it for the summer holidays again, because there's traditions of generations of people going down to lawn and enjoying that cinema, particularly on a rainy tay in the middle of January.
Speaker 8: It's one of those things, is that, Thank you, Captain Alphie. It's one of those things, isn't it, David, And I've always said this. We lament the closing of the local family owned hardware store, yet we all shop at Bunnings. We lament the closing of our the local butcher shop and the local greengrocer, yet we all go to coals and Woolli's the only people to blame for the lack of you for changes in these sorts of things. If a cinema closes down due to low patronage, it's the patrons who are to blame.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's right, it's all part of it. And the old song you don't know what you've got until it's gone. Say when it's gone, I wish it was back. But you need to support them while they're there. And you know, often you see whenever you see something mentioned about driving theaters online, often the first or second comment is, oh, I used to be snuck in in the boots. Well, that certainly didn't help things on the finance either.
Speaker 8: But it was a right of passage, wasn't it.
Speaker 9: It seemed to me did you actually find that happened a lot, that people were snuck it in boots?
Speaker 10: It didn't happen a lot, but did happen. And we had a rule, my brother and I, if we caught them before the ticket box, if for another customer said hey, there's two people in the boot in the car behind us, if we caught them there, we got them out to embarrass them and let them still pay to come in. But if we caught them inside the theater, once they'd done the deception or theft is the police class it has, they'd be booted out without refund. So you walk a fine line for the people that tried to put that over on us.
Speaker 8: Wonderful And now the only bit of cinematic sort of knowledge that I've got when and I think I bring it up every time we ever speak to you, David, I was told once where Village Cinemas got its name from. And if I'm right in remembering this correctly, it was named after the twin driving at Croydon, was it.
Speaker 10: Not, Yeah, you're right. That was the Rock Kirby who was the founder along with his partners Spencer and Allix, and they built that drive in as their first one in late nineteen fifty four. And Rock told me he was looking for a name and he couldn't think of a name. And just alongside near the entrances it's where McDonald's is in Croydon now on Runda Highway. But there was an old group of shops that have now gone and they were called the Village Baker, the Village Grosser, the Village milk Bar, and he thought, why not the Village Driving. So that simple name he just took from the shops next to it, and that's the name we know well. It was in twenty countries around the world at the peak, as Village Cinemas today.
Speaker 9: Make movies and all that. Yes, a big distribution company too. David Gilderry, what an absolute pleasure to talk to you, and I hope we speak again sometime.
Speaker 10: It's always great fun. Andrew and Simon, thanks a lot.
Speaker 8: And if people do want to see talks, presentations or book you or anything, is there a website or anything they can go to.
Speaker 10: Well, for the one I've got coming up, they can just go to the paran Mechanics Institute PMI just search it online. It's the Victorian Local History Line. The Cinema and Theater Historical Society are also big supporters of my presentations and you can search for them online as well.
Speaker 8: Fabulous, good on you, David. David Kilderry from the Lunar Driving Rick Milne up after the break, tell.
Speaker 13: Me why I need another bed, Tell me why I got that album long, tell me why hy bed on Dantner's.
Speaker 7: All up.
Speaker 9: On Sunday night on three at w means remember when and means Rick mill good evening, Ricky, Yes.
Speaker 11: Hello, Andy, Pandy and Simon.
Speaker 14: Good to chat to you.
Speaker 8: Rick. Now, before we get into what you've found and what you're looking for and all those sorts of things, we do ask for calls on one double three six nine three if you want to talk to Rick Milne, ring now, because almost every week without fail, we end up with ringing in at five minutes to the hour and we can't get you on. So if you've got something you've found at home, something that loved one has left you, something you've got got at a garage sale, it's just something a bit different and a bit interesting, give us a call. Rick will be able to give you a rough estimation on what it might be worth. And if Rick doesn't know, he knows people who do know. So one double three six nine three. Share your story with us. Now, Rick, you've got you've got an event coming up or something, Yes, we.
Speaker 11: Do, certainly do. So I'm on this coming Saturday, which is the Schult to stay with the ear By the Way, that's what they call with the Solstice and the Brotherhood Saint Lawrence, Dan and Bentley, which is five eighteen center Destiny of Woolworth's doing a big day, having a day of from Tendal four of music and live music and collection of art music CDs and DVDs, et cetera, from Tendaal four and from Tootle four Milne. We'll be doing evaluations. So if anybody would like to come along and get things valued in the flesh, I'll be there. So that's Twotal four for me. But the whole day run from ten to four and that five eighteen center Old Bentley and it's for the Brotherhood of Saint Lawrence.
Speaker 9: All for a good cause. Ricky, You've got a wonderful memorability of sent us to tonight.
Speaker 11: Yeah, a few little spectacular items, i'd say, including knitting for soldiers.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, Second World War.
Speaker 11: I would think Second World War. And the idea was you'd knit various things for your soldier boy and sent them over to the front.
Speaker 8: So what exactly is it that we can see the picture here and the picture is up for people who want to have a look on our Facebook page. Three aw remember when? But what is it exactly?
Speaker 11: Was it kind of a little It was a pattern book for soldiers, for shirts and so forth that the soldiers would have worn on the Second World War. And the idea was to knit these items for the soldiers. Lovely about that, isn't that something? And then the next one is my all time favorite. I like the old film Noirs and this is my favorite. It's not a very good poster as a matter of fact, considering how dark the film was. Touch of Evil and it featured the incommarable incomparable the Aweson Wells, and that to me, is one of one of the great, one of the great cinema classics.
Speaker 9: Yes, I've never seen the movie Rick. It was all said in a rather seedy border town down near Mexico, wasn't it it was.
Speaker 11: That's exactly right. It's an amazing tracking site at the Star at the Start, which runs for about five minutes, and you see it from above, and this car just explodes with the with the people in the car. Amazing. There was there was something and then a couple of other things there which we can talk about. Actually, my favorite one is the very last one. For some reason, corningwear, which is actually very very popular and out there in large numbers. Some one person is advertising corningwear for twenty four thousand dollars. And the funny part is that person who does it from various spots around the country. I don't know how they do it, but they have never ever sold another item. So naturally he contacted me. She said, I'm amazed, She said, I've got two of those. Are they truly worth twenty four thousand each? I said, with about maybe fifty to eighty, perhaps maybe one hundred at an out at the outside. But it's just one of those how would you put it? It was kind of a folk story and people suddenly believed that all a cornering where was worth an absolute fortune?
Speaker 8: Would it be a thing? Rick?
Speaker 9: Though?
Speaker 8: Like, I look at that picture and my mum had the exact same It's a casserole. It's white with her floral design on the side, with a clear glass lid, and my mum had that exact same one. And that makes me think that the person who's put that up obviously knows they're not going to sell it for that much. But that would make me go, oh, wouldn't it be cool to own one of those? And then I'd look for it elsewhere and go, oh one hundred bucks, oh buy that same time.
Speaker 11: Well, the thing is a woman did contact me to say that she had two of them.
Speaker 12: Yeah, she thought she.
Speaker 11: Was having a heart attack, she thought she's who were forty eight thousand dollars. It was a bit sad to have to otherwise it wasn't quite the same. But you will notice, of course that the one previous to that, which is for a shell sign w did sell, and you'll see the price that sold for it sold here in Australia, I.
Speaker 8: Can't see anything sold for an eye watering one hundred thirty three thousand, nine hundred and seventy five dollars.
Speaker 11: It did.
Speaker 8: Wow, an old sign. It's a beautiful sign, and it looks as though it's damaged. Is it damaged?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 11: I should sincerely hope not. That's sort of a price, but that's what it did sell for. I mean, it's it's that's not a made up thing. The other one is obviously that's just a big joke, but this one actually did sell for one hundred and thirty three thousand plus.
Speaker 8: How big is it?
Speaker 11: Not huge at all? It would be about forty five centimeters wide and about twelve or fifteen centimeters deep. Maybe a bit more, maybe up to sixty centimeters wide, but it's not massive, not a huge sign at all, and early one, but it's just astounding to me that had brought that proceid it did.
Speaker 8: Yeah, now, well it's beautiful colors, it looks really good.
Speaker 11: So it is, and it's a very early sign. They used that little character, that strange little character in a lot of their very very earliest advertising, so I think it's from way way back. But nonetheless, isn't that understounding for one hundred and thirty three.
Speaker 8: Thousand, that is fabulous and the last one you've got there for us Rick and again they're all available on our Facebook page. Remember when the.
Speaker 11: Red robot with sparklers and this is a little advertising signed for it. It's great And of course robots generally speaking sell really well, especially the early Japanese made. They made some amazing ones. And in fact a woman contacted me she found on the hard rubbish at a place good Armadale, not the one in Victoria, but that went up in New South Wales. She found one in the hard rubbish and it was a drumming robot and I remember we put it through one of our options and we got thousands for it and she was just a flabbergast but she found it, would you believe, just tossed out in the hard rubbish.
Speaker 8: Yeah, people just don't know what. It's always worth slowing down, and when someone's got a hard rubbish collection, it's worth slowing down. Of course, it's illegal to take it. We strongly advise that you don't, but if you happen to have a look and find something interesting, isn't that nice to be interested? It's so true.
Speaker 11: After the sun's gone down exactly a.
Speaker 9: Night becaus it never hurts, does it well? One double three six nine three. If you have something you wish to have valued by Riccardo, he would love to do it. One double three six nine three. But according to ten, we're going to take a little breaking poo and.
Speaker 8: Peter and Adel two will be first up after the break, but other calls are welcome. One double three six nine three. As Andrews said, Rick Milne is here ready to take your calls, and Peter is first off from Bergen.
Speaker 16: Get I, Peter good, any gentlemen, Rick, I have my neighbors a who's having a coin out and he found a big plastic bag of old matches, ones that you slip over and their little things match things and then you strike the bottom of the card the match.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it is a little there's like little.
Speaker 17: Book matches, you might say, yes, yes, some of from England, New York, Las Vegas nineteen sixties, the Monte.
Speaker 16: Carlo Casino, West Point Casino, Bacco Parlo Hotel. Just watter whether they're worth anything at all?
Speaker 11: Not much, not much and they're a bit of a hart fire has that I have to tell Peter. The only ones that have much value on those. They did some with sporting sporting figures on them, and those sell very well from restaurants and from places all around the world. Not much. They were given used to be given away when many more people smoked than do now, so they used to give them out. They were all previews, of course. But if you've got to need the good sporting, go through them all fine. And if you I'll give out a number in a wie and you could always give this a ring and I'll be able to see you what they're worth at least.
Speaker 8: Okay, But I would also add there, Peter, that if you put them up as a bolk lot on somewhere like eBay, there will be people like me. I've always wanted to have a big glass ball on a coffee table full of matchbooks because I just beautiful.
Speaker 11: Center through the mail. That's one of the problems with them, of course, a drug. Well, you can't matches through the mail, can't you know? You're not to unless somebody comes down with them. That'd be a different story. And yes, you're right the fishbowl full of them, but a bit of a fire hazard, I have to.
Speaker 9: Say, yes, retro, aren't you I am a bit.
Speaker 8: You're a coffee table with display teak legs. Don't all that stuff next to a pinball machine and.
Speaker 11: Next to the next to the those lights that have got those from things on them, you know, the lighter.
Speaker 8: And the lava lamp in the corner.
Speaker 11: That's what I mean, the lava lamp to that's that's even worse like bubbling oil.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just waiting to explode. Adele is in Melton High, Adele, Hello, I was just wondering.
Speaker 18: I've got a Bangjo Mandolin. Yeah, it's still insane signed and it's got bar Donal's Jacky Lee Toady, Barbla Moore, John Joseph Navis and lots of other signatures on it. And I just wondered if it was worth anything.
Speaker 11: It will be. They are, they are reasonably syllable, and there are people who are pretty adept to playing them as a matter of interest, so that that's pretty good. I would think these days probably a hundred to one fifty a del somewhere around about, and there are potential buyers.
Speaker 18: There's signatures on it. You know, it might be work.
Speaker 11: I understand, I understand it's it's it's probably worth more for you from that point of view, But for anybody else who's going to buy it, they're going to want to play it, so that's the difference. And if you if you, if you're selling it just as something with autographs on it, you might sort of get a similar price, but it would be it would sell to somebody who's looking to buy Anti Manlin and play it, So it kind of works both ways.
Speaker 8: Thanks Adele. This is Marion from Cranbourne.
Speaker 19: Rick.
Speaker 20: Rick.
Speaker 21: I have a couple of things. My mum worked for Sans and McDougall's in Melbourne, Yes, and I've got an invitation there. It says mister K. D. MacDougall requests the pleasure of your company at a victory dinner to be given by the company in the factory dining rooms on Thursday the thirteenth of September nineteen forty five.
Speaker 11: And that's great, very dreads. That would be somewhere these days. They'll be Santa MacDougall. They were up the top end of Swanson Street, as I recall, I've got that right, maybe I haven't anyway, Yes, the answer the question is they that would have a value and somewhere about fifty i'd reckon for a little invitation and what's the other item.
Speaker 21: In a program for that with the mean new.
Speaker 11: Oh the program and all as well. Oh okay, well if that's the case, maybe one hundred and fifty because it's a very venerable company. Of course, Santa Mac they did those wonderful wonderful.
Speaker 8: Well lady the street during business.
Speaker 11: And every every place in Melbourne who lived.
Speaker 9: There, but not only that wreck They actually it would be impossible to do now because I've got a couple of them.
Speaker 8: They list everyone's address.
Speaker 19: They do no privacy at all.
Speaker 11: Yeah, say you've got you live in Hannover Street. As an example, they give number three is George Flanders, numbers five is Talie Brown, number seven exactly everybody's everybody's names in there. Although I did notice in one of the ones that I saw, and I think it was in Fitzroy, it said number five Chinese. That's all it said Chinese, different times.
Speaker 8: Thank you, thank you, Marion. This is Nicoles. Who's who's in Glenn right?
Speaker 9: Hello? Nicole?
Speaker 22: Oh hi Reek high fellas.
Speaker 11: I actually have.
Speaker 23: An original nineteen seventies and I'm not here for the pronunciation Jervy or Arby family game with all the horses.
Speaker 11: Oh the game, yes, right, yep, that you're talking about the racing game.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's a good one. And it is Derby rather than Derby stood up for you, And that's actually a pretty nice one and it actually seels pretty well at that. If you've got the box that came in, that's the key to it, Nicole.
Speaker 24: I've got the box.
Speaker 11: Yeah, good on you. That's the case. About one hundred and hundred and twenty.
Speaker 8: Nice yep, okay, beautiful, Good on you, Nicole, Thank you for that. We better get a break out of the way here. We'll come back and find out what Rick's looking for and if we've got time to squeeze another call in, we will back in a sec. Yes, coming up to news, Rick, what are you looking for?
Speaker 11: A few things? Only a University was a football club that actually played in the VFL way way back sort of around First World War. Somebody looking through a membership and will pay one thousand dollars good, I believe about that. Cameras I've got a camera connector anything to do with the Melbourne Argus, which is the first newspaper in the world to print in color and also scannons, the gun people, if you're good, any of those little swap cards. I've got people looking for those as well. Just quick mention of that. The big day of down at Bentley which is coming up this coming Saturday, tenle four and I'll be doing valuations. They're ten sorry from twotle four five eighteen Centerroad and Bentley's.
Speaker 8: Beautiful and Ricky your number for people who want to contact you.
Speaker 11: Anybody needs it, they can give us a bell zero four one eight three three nine one zero three.
Speaker 9: And anyone going along to Bentley and Center Bentley will know rick straight away when the smile.
Speaker 8: You haven't seen it, haven't. Your silent pearly white is great.
Speaker 9: It lights up.
Speaker 11: As I smile.
Speaker 9: Really Oh no that was no, No, that'd be modest. Can't stand it when you drive me monster, it depresses me. Now look looking for those.
Speaker 8: It just is just incandescent zero four one eight three three nine one zero three. Selfie, get on your red with Ricky. Get Kevin Trask after the news, Baking skies.
Speaker 9: At sunrise every sunset.
Speaker 8: Seems to be thing memoss of you. Back for our number two of remember when with Andrew McLaren.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes he's here. Damn you hell first up, damn muta hell. And you know why? Yes, he leaves out these chocolate bars. Yes, I'm onto my fourth. Yes I know they're mini. Just to explain, Yes, I'm not at that level but quite yet. But I can't I walk by them just in in that kitchen hand. Sure enough, I found one in my left hand. I don't know how I'd got there.
Speaker 8: And then yet got Kevin trash joints. It's not like Kevin.
Speaker 25: I thought you saw you scrummaging on your hands and niece.
Speaker 9: It was a bit desperate, wasn't it, everybody, Simon. Just to explain, Simon leaves them very kindly out for people, Yes, but.
Speaker 8: Don't, please don't. I've got a problem. I buy lots of chocolate and leave it out for all the staff here. So I do that just to be nice.
Speaker 26: So like if you if you want to do a Simon and you want to get people hooked on Dr Pepper, why don't you just bring in a slab and leave them on the coffee table.
Speaker 8: Because it's expensive. Nothing that's true. And the thing about it is, though, what he hasn't told you, Kevin Trask sitting here is staring at me with daggers in his eyes? But what did you have for dinner tonight?
Speaker 9: Andrew? I had a grilled burger.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he went across the road. The minute he got in here, he walked and said, hello, I'm going across the road to get a burger. So he's had a fatty burger from.
Speaker 9: Across the Do you have for dinner tonight? Owns?
Speaker 8: I had half a bag of doritos. Oh no, that's that's cuisine man. Doctors listening, Well, I had half a bag because Ben helped me eat it, so he had the other half. I would have had a whole bag from all right now, Kevin transk, why are you.
Speaker 25: Just reading Kem, I've got the wrong one. I've got the bing Crosby Society. It's last year's I'm sure I know it's one.
Speaker 8: That's okay. Well, that's right. Look, you and I were going to catch up, but you became unavailable on Friday. Yes, so I wasn't terribly well. Yeah, but anyhow, I had the pleasure of going to Ryland's to a lovely celebration that was organized to commemorate Philip Brady's birthday, which is of course tomorrow, yes, he would be eighty six, wouldn't he Yeah, tomorrow. That's rather sad.
Speaker 25: But anyhow, we organized that but I couldn't go.
Speaker 8: And it went well.
Speaker 19: It did, Yeah, it did.
Speaker 8: It went very well. It was lovely, the food was lovely, the company was lovely. I was thinking a wonderful showbiz stories. Well, the cake was delished thanks to Rock and Dave. I think he was the one who provided the cake and the food at Island's very nice. I have to say, is it open to the public or I'm not sure. I'm not sure. I'm not sure if it's actually a functioning restaurant that you can just go in and book.
Speaker 25: But it should be probably more for residents, but I'm not sure on that point.
Speaker 8: But yeah, the company was love I won't name everyone who was there because for the life of me, I'll forget someone and I'll upset someone.
Speaker 25: So well, they were all pleased to see you there, I believe.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well it was. It was lovely, lovely, little chats about phil and memories of him. I told the story of Philip's car, which is a quite long winded story that I haven't told fully on air. I will want day when we have a bit of time. But yeah, there's a bit of a story to do with Phillip's carr That got a few laughs. Good, which was which was good? Good? But yes, so thank you to everyone for being so kind and letting me tag along for the day.
Speaker 25: That was the Brady Bunch Coffee Club of Q.
Speaker 8: Yes, and that all had their badges almost had their badges on.
Speaker 25: Yes, Philip made me president when he said, buddy, I want you to be president.
Speaker 9: I said, okay, yeah, he passed the bat on to you.
Speaker 25: He passed the bat on to me.
Speaker 9: I had no idea.
Speaker 25: I passed my vice presidentcy down grand Brown.
Speaker 8: Have you made.
Speaker 9: You've made provisions for well we hope a long time away that you won't be there too.
Speaker 25: There's something you know that I don't know.
Speaker 8: It's a delicate subject.
Speaker 9: I know now that you're in your sixties.
Speaker 16: Ah.
Speaker 8: Yes, you have to.
Speaker 9: Think about what comes after, It's true. And so you have passed the presidency of the Philip Brady Appreciate Appreciation Society onto someone else.
Speaker 25: And he's a vice president now, yes, oh good, I'm president.
Speaker 8: And what is he in a good age group that.
Speaker 25: Yes, he's okay, he'll be referable.
Speaker 9: That's good.
Speaker 8: So here's the thing from other people who may not be well.
Speaker 25: Half of the Bob, they won't be very very much longer. Where we're not a group of young teenagers.
Speaker 8: Let's put it that.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, but still got a lot of hope and life in you.
Speaker 8: Hope is the big boy. The Bing Crosby Appreciation Society, the Frank Sinatra Appreciation Society, and now the Philip Brady Appreciation Society.
Speaker 25: Yes, of course, three good clubs that you remember of, Yes, yes, or shall we move on to Is there anything else you've done? I just liked to mention that the Crosby Society meeting on Tuesday night at the Collingwood Library, which is next to the Collingwood Town Hall, and they're running the Road to Rio with Bing Crosby and Bob Hope. And that starts at seven point thirty at the at the library. And I'm not sure if I'll be there yet, but yeh we'll see here we.
Speaker 8: Go, alrighty, So now it's time to move on too.
Speaker 17: Yes, now, I remember when it's time for who died?
Speaker 25: Kevin Well with the greatest respect Brian Wilson, but every radio presenter in Australia has talked about Brian Wilson this week and played their favorite song. Yes, but he was eighty two. Now, Phil met him, didn't he.
Speaker 8: He did paid good money to meet him, for one hundred bucks, four hundred bucks to shake his head lead a spaced out old man and as he was well. I did see the Beach Boys at the palais.
Speaker 25: I saw Mike Love and there was a couple of his cousins there as well, so they sort of made up the Beach Boys show and that was good. But he was marvelous. Brian Wilson, a composer, a singer, a musician himself with all those great little rifts and things he put into the songs.
Speaker 9: Had a terrible home life, Yes, he did. All all the boys, the Wilson Boys. That's father was a bit of a case, wasn't he.
Speaker 25: Yes, Yes, they did have a bad childhood. The peak years were sixty two to sixty six.
Speaker 8: And his brother.
Speaker 25: When his brother Karl died, I think that might have had an effect on him, and he'd been sick for a while before he passed away.
Speaker 9: Are you right this?
Speaker 8: Yes, Sorry, it's just something Andrews said that gave me a bit of a fright, that's okay. Yes, when he referred to the father of the Wilson's is a bit of a case. I thought he was on.
Speaker 9: No, yeah, someone remember when no, no, a little fright.
Speaker 8: That's also just giggling quietly to myself.
Speaker 25: So the sand passing in Brian Wilson, and they certainly made their mark, didn't they. I used to want the bandstand, they said, said the American.
Speaker 8: Clips on bands, didn't they?
Speaker 25: Yes, they'd have those striped shirts on and the surfboards out. But I don't think any of them ever went near the water.
Speaker 8: Now there was one who did surf, according to who was I talking to? Someone I was talking to he said that one of them did serve. Actually, one one could is.
Speaker 9: To bust my moves on the dance floor, to do it again by the beach boys.
Speaker 8: Have you got that there?
Speaker 9: Then? Have you got to do it again there by the beach boys, because I could bust my moves all over again hearing it.
Speaker 25: You know, cameras are on high administration.
Speaker 9: Everybody who has that facility, get to your station and get to.
Speaker 8: You Andrew only to do it again. Though I don't want me to help you of the year. I'm not that bad.
Speaker 9: You sixty plus. It's it's not there. We'll have to move on.
Speaker 8: Ben's looking it up. It's d o.
Speaker 9: Here we go.
Speaker 14: This is it.
Speaker 25: I'm not familiar with this.
Speaker 8: Look at him, go look at those hips.
Speaker 9: When are you going to start?
Speaker 27: No?
Speaker 9: No, hang on, Ben, Ben, I'm sorry I didn't explain. It's a foot dance. I dance from the ankles down.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, what an act. It's fabulous.
Speaker 9: I felt it.
Speaker 8: I've got badly bruised shins.
Speaker 9: Anyway, that was do it again. One of my favorites of their But they've had many good songs.
Speaker 8: They had many so and everybody's played all their songs.
Speaker 25: I think I heard what I've heard every one of them now, even Disney Girls.
Speaker 8: I heard now. Jaden has also just texted through that sly Stone passed away from the sly and the family stone. That's right, Yes, in the back of the seventies seventies group, Yes, so bigger in.
Speaker 9: America, I think than they were here would be my guss my memory.
Speaker 8: All right, fair enough, all right, should we get to a break and get the time tunnel underway? What a good idea?
Speaker 5: Kevin Trask's Time Tunnel. The Blind Factory's Birthday sale is on Big Savings call one three Blinds or head of the Blind Factory dot com dot au. Before it ends, it's time to go back and remember the people, events and to the soundtrack of our lives we trasks Time Time Time.
Speaker 9: Well, yes, it's good to be in the time time tonight. It takes me back to a year, a year for me that I found out the truth about Jillian Patterson who lived out three doors down. But apart from that, there were many other events of that year.
Speaker 25: Weren't there Julian Patterson waiting for the movie I'm angel waiting for what he's talking about?
Speaker 8: What was the secret? I'm not going to reveal her. I don't kiss and tell.
Speaker 25: Oh, I see, I'm not one of those I see. Okay, well fair Enough'll just leave it at that.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 25: Hello, Jillian, If you're listening, she won't.
Speaker 8: Is she an ABC listener?
Speaker 19: Is she?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 9: We're moving off a lah. I'm not going to discuss any further. But that was the year, and the year.
Speaker 25: Was nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 9: What a year.
Speaker 25: It's only forty eight years ago.
Speaker 9: Hmmm, Jillian will worried Jillian would be ninety three?
Speaker 25: Would she good?
Speaker 8: Is she the one who taught you that dance you did before they ad brage? That's it?
Speaker 25: God bless you, Jillian the ankle and foot Well. Elvis Presley passed away in nineteen seventy seven, and I guess what was it? The sixteenth of August nineteen seventy seven. And I guess we all remember where we were when we got the news that Elvis had died.
Speaker 8: Because I was six and I didn't do I didn't know Elvis. But remember where where are you?
Speaker 9: Kevin?
Speaker 8: I was at work.
Speaker 25: I was working in Telstra or Telecom in those days, and I got a phone call and I was sitting at my desk and I'm still with you know, just sitting at my desk, and I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 14: I could.
Speaker 25: I couldn't believe.
Speaker 14: Are you sure?
Speaker 8: Are you sure?
Speaker 9: I got a telegram from Jillian Patterson?
Speaker 8: Did you?
Speaker 9: I just couldn't believe what. I opened that envelope at the front door. I just ab broke down.
Speaker 25: I will look at that's just the way is thist it? You know, you're you don't seem to remove by the it's very soft hearted. I get too caught up emotional.
Speaker 9: Anyway, Elvis died, which was very sad and a bit of a shock because I don't think very few all in Australia, very few people knew that he was ailing. Really he was well.
Speaker 25: He was very sick, wasn't he on all sorts of medications. He lost the interest in recording around about nineteen seventy six. RCA used to drive a truck out to the Gracelands and set it all the recording studio up so he didn't have to go anywhere.
Speaker 8: Just do the songs.
Speaker 25: But he sort of, I don't know, things had gone bad with Priscilla and his daughter.
Speaker 8: And things like that. He lost his mojo.
Speaker 25: He lost his mojo and unfortunately he passed away. And we're going to listen to the news report in just a second. But you know, he lived at Graceland and was found at Graceland by Joe Espsido. What is it I think found him in the bathroom.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he was want to be Yeah the Memphis Maffi, wasn't it.
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 25: Yeah, so Elvis himself. I loved Elvis. I still, even though the movies are really bad. I like to see the songs, and it's couple.
Speaker 8: Of the movies are good.
Speaker 25: There's a couple of Elvis Presley memories that are good. But he'll be around for a long long time. And I'd love to go to Graceland. Either of you been to Graceland.
Speaker 8: No, I haven't known.
Speaker 9: Well, I've been there, but he was still alive. So I just I just stood outside south of gates. Did you see him?
Speaker 8: No, people were waiting around.
Speaker 9: Apparently he had been out earlier in the morning, if the car had come out, and a few of the people.
Speaker 8: They just people were just standing.
Speaker 9: Here for an hour after hour waiting to see over.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Yes, there are always people at the front apparently always. Oh what a life. Yes, yeah, Oh, well that's great.
Speaker 25: So let's go to the news report in nineteen seventy seven on the passing of Elvis Presley.
Speaker 28: Well, everything has happened to me so fast in the last.
Speaker 29: Year and a half till I'm.
Speaker 22: All mixed up, you know, I mean, I can't keep believe.
Speaker 8: Everything is happening.
Speaker 7: Any news.
Speaker 28: Elvis Presley suddenly dies in Memphis. I'm Anne, Marie Dear. The King of rock and roll. Forty two year old Elvis Presley suddenly died of what doctors believe was respiratory failure this afternoon. Anita Help has a complete report from the Baptist Hospital in Memphis.
Speaker 30: Probably several hundred people in front of Baptist's Hospital. They all can't believe that Elvis Presley, the King of rock and roll, is dead, has reported from Maurice Elliott's vice president of administration for Baptist Hospitals, and Elvis's road manager. Joe Spizito, found Elvis in his bedrooms at two thirty this afternoon, unconscious. Midreds Posito reported that he's found no vital times at the time, but he immediately began resuscitation efforts and the Memphis Fire Department ambulance was called. Resuppitation empts were continued. He arrived at the hospital about three o'clock this afternoon, and Baptist's Hospital's Special Harvey Team, a special team of emergency resuscitation experts, began work on Elvis's body.
Speaker 14: Their efforts were futile.
Speaker 30: After about thirty minutes. Doctor George Mecompolis, Elvis's personal position for many years, pronounced Elvis Presley dead.
Speaker 8: Wow. I've never heard the full report like that before. You haven't nice?
Speaker 25: This is you imagine the shock throughout the world. Yeah, I say, you'd say, yeah, sure?
Speaker 8: Are you sure? My next my next door neighbors were very big Golfer's Presley fans. They used to play a lot of his music, so they would have been very upset. I'm just I'm a bit too young to really remember it.
Speaker 9: I'm saying I know someone who you know him to. His first name is Don, who has all the Elvis Son original forty fives. He recorded five records for Son and Don has the five, which would be worth a fair old bit, wouldn't they He has to be worth.
Speaker 8: Should tell Rick Milan about that?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think Rick was in his day when he did collect records. I think he had the five too, but he sold them since then.
Speaker 8: Okay maybe so yeah. Quick quiz time, Kevin, Here we go.
Speaker 19: Boys.
Speaker 25: Who played the role of Carla, the Little Dutch girl in the TV series The Sullivans. Was it a Danny Minogue, B Tina Arena, C Kylie Minogue or d Sigrid Thornton.
Speaker 8: Little Carla? Okay, I'm gonna go just like go first, certainly, I'm thinking I don't recall Danny and Tina ever doing any acting, just myself, so that narrows it down to me to Kylie and Sigrid. But I'm sure Kylie's first role was in The Henderson Kids or something. So I'm going to go Sigared, I'm going to go d Sigrid Ben, I'm going to I disagree with Simon.
Speaker 18: I wonder if Tina Arenas actually done some acting, so I'm probably going to go Tina Arena.
Speaker 8: I'm going to go Tina too, Tina too, Tina too? What about Greg? Who's with us tonight? Greg?
Speaker 27: Any thoughts, I'm going to go Danny Minogue, even though you know that you don't think she acted.
Speaker 8: All right, So we've got Danny, Tina, and Cigarette and no one's gone Kylie. Yeah, all right, the answers, please, Kevin.
Speaker 25: The answers are locked in by our judges. There's no changing things now. No correspondence will be entered into. Of course, the it wasn't Danny Minogue. Greg, I'm terribly sorry. Not Danny Minogue. Was She's out. It wasn't Kylie, it wasn't it wasn't Tina Arena. It wasn't Tina. Okay, So there's been and Andrew just bite the dust and it wasn't Sigared Thornt.
Speaker 19: No, I.
Speaker 25: Can't believe this. Not one person has gone for Kylie Minou. She did might have started out the head of some kids, but in the Sullivan she had this role which ran for a couple of weeks. Okay, I never knew Carla the little Dutch girl.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because I only think of Kylie's Neighbors. Yeah, she was in what was that on sky Ways?
Speaker 25: She had at roll in that too, Yes, yes she had.
Speaker 8: She did all the little bits, little bits and pieces. Neighbors was the big one. But yeah, yeah, lots of little acting roles before. She still acts every so often because she did like a Doctor Who episode about fifteen years ago. I think, yes, every so often. Yeah.
Speaker 25: She made a number of films.
Speaker 8: And did a film with Dwayne the Rock Johnson. I'm pretty sure as well.
Speaker 25: She did yeah in Queensland. Yes, so there. All right, So I don't go and congratulate anybody, because nobody.
Speaker 9: Got it right.
Speaker 8: There is no single brain cell among any of us. We all missed that one. All right, Let's let's do television in nineteen seventy seven, before the break, Kevin.
Speaker 25: We were watching things like cup Shop, The Sweeney, the dick Emery Show, a Little House on the Schmaltz which was very popular, George and Mill, Hildred Bell Bird, and of course the Don Lane Show. And I thought the Don Lane Show was just fantastic. I thought Don was great and we're very lucky to have him as a copy of that show.
Speaker 8: And they got big names on that show.
Speaker 25: Dean Martin was on one night on a link on a TV link.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Charlton Heston, Bob Hope and yeah, big big overseas names.
Speaker 8: There is a guy who's putting up episodes of the Don Lane Show on YouTube. I don't know where he's getting them from, but they're going up there. So get onto YouTube. You can see full Don Lane Show episodes now wonderful.
Speaker 25: Well, of course, at this time, Burt and Patty Newton were doing the album The Famous Album, which is a record I've got one at home, yeah where thousands of Now I would imagine.
Speaker 8: I've got one as well. So we're both rich, we're both yes, Andrew common as buck.
Speaker 25: But from the this the album, they did this song on The Don Lane Show and I think it's it's Love and Marriage by Bert Newton and Patty Newton.
Speaker 8: Do you remember the night we decided to get married?
Speaker 31: Oh?
Speaker 7: Yes, We're on b deck, sailing.
Speaker 8: Into the night, two US class tickets on the Manly Very.
Speaker 14: The moon was high.
Speaker 32: What a proposal, pat Black, I have enough courage to ask me.
Speaker 14: I don't burst.
Speaker 32: Try try, try to separate lens. It's an illusion.
Speaker 26: Try charge, try, and he will.
Speaker 19: Only come.
Speaker 14: To this conclusion.
Speaker 33: Love and reach, Love and reach goats again, like the horse and carriage that was told by bye, you can't have one, you can't have none.
Speaker 7: You can't have one without me.
Speaker 8: That is good to hear their voice, isn't it isn't wonderful.
Speaker 25: I don't think they're both good singers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, in Burt in his own way, very theatrical, but it was good. I like you.
Speaker 8: I like him who died in nine in semblyn.
Speaker 25: Who seventy seven.
Speaker 8: That's that's the question we will be answering. Yeah exactly, Kevin, Yeah, you've made a mistake. According to Grant Brown, what did I say? This is how closely people pay attention?
Speaker 25: Is it the vice president Grant Brown, the vice president.
Speaker 8: Of the Coffee Club. It is, Oh, this will be important, and he has let us know. If we went back to the end of last week's episode when Kevin talks about what year are we doing next? Yes, I know what he's going to say. Kevin said he was going to be doing nineteen seventy, so now it's under pressure, and yet here we are doing seventy seven.
Speaker 25: Yes, he's quite right because he never misses what we're going to do. Wow, order to happen, Kevin, you don't get to be vice president of the Philip Brady Coffee Club. You're going to be pretty smart.
Speaker 9: So what where was the gum up in the works?
Speaker 8: Why explain why?
Speaker 25: I think I just might have a little bit of a fog came across the brain. I had seconds to say it, and no one asked me what we're doing next week? And I just threw in a year that was all the us.
Speaker 8: Well with Grant there clearly has a very good memory and a very good numbers man and all of the good man man. When you when you upset the president and you're the vice president, I think I'm the president of the president. That's what I'm saying. You're the president and the vice president's having a crack at you. I think his vice presidency might be short lived. I'm going to try and sort of come turbulent waters here. Let's just move on, will we come on?
Speaker 9: Set settle both of these.
Speaker 8: Okay, this is the teacher.
Speaker 9: Simon that temper. Don't let it go, mate, Fine who died in seventy seven.
Speaker 25: Well, quite a few, Charlie Chaplin, Gammo Marx passed away. Oh yes, Joan Crawford, Richard Carlson, who was in it, came from out of space. We took and met him a few weeks ago. Bing Crosby passed away. And Groucho Marx he was eighty six when he died in nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 8: So Gummo and Groucher both eys in the same year.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 25: It's strange, isn't it? But anyhow, I love Groucher. There's a lot of things he said that you could never say on radio. But he was a funny man. And one of the things he did say is anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough. But he was in thirteen feature films, and he created that character with the painted on mustache and the cigar and the breast coat and all the things that he did to make that character work.
Speaker 8: You know how the painted on mustache happened? No, when originally he used to put on he used to glue on a fake mustache when he was doing the show, the stage shows this was, and one day he was just running so late. He arrived as the curtain was going up. So he's just got some grease paint and just smeared it across his lip to put on a false mustache. And he thought, oh, that's actually easier, So that's what he did from that point on. Fun works. Well, yeah, funny man, it was all cause because he was late.
Speaker 25: They made thirteen feature films, those brothers, the Marx Brothers, and he had a TV show called You Bet Your Life. We're gonna have a little bit of that now, and he's got as on the contestants, two young Australians who'd left Sydney to break into show business in America, and they got the big, big break by being on the show. And they finished up in an episode of Star Trek. And I'm talking about the Guard Twins. And they were country and western country and western singers and they're both gone to God now, but they were terrific I did an interview with him and it was terrific to talk to the Guard brothers as they spoke to Groucho Marx.
Speaker 15: We have a couple of brothers on deck now they're Ted and Tom Laguard.
Speaker 9: So boy to come in please and meet Rauto.
Speaker 15: Mark's welcome to you a bet your life, say the sacred word and to buy it an extra one hundred dollars. It's a common way. It's something you see every day. Ted and Tom la Guard the quadruplets.
Speaker 22: Twins.
Speaker 15: I thought so because you're both wearing the same kind of neckties where your boys firm. Well, I went from Mackay and North Queensland, Australia.
Speaker 12: Is that the real McCoy?
Speaker 15: A lot of people call it and a lot of people call it mafie. If the scunner, why you said your sacred word? You said the sacred word? People, So you and your father each get fifty dollars, there's fifty fifty few dad? Are you married Tom? Now?
Speaker 19: We're single?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 15: This's his term?
Speaker 16: Is mom?
Speaker 24: Tom?
Speaker 25: Or your term?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 14: Are you married now?
Speaker 9: We're not married? You're not married?
Speaker 22: About single?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 8: If we meet a couple of twins, A lot of twins.
Speaker 15: You mean you one four.
Speaker 9: Twin girls we meet, the twin girls.
Speaker 15: Will get married, he would, or wouldn't it be confusing for twins to married twins. You'd never know whether you were kissing your wife or squeezing your sister in law.
Speaker 8: Good old Groucho is only good.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: He was very quick witted, yes, which suited that format, which was why he was offered that show because Groucho had done other stuff before. But the producer who wanted him to do that show, Graucho said no, I'm not interested at all, And he said, but that's where you can add lib and it will really work for you. So he was sort of reluctantly did it and ended up loving doing it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, for years two At America. Peter Finch started in seventy seven.
Speaker 25: Sixty only sixty. I know Heed he like a drop of the turps and he was. Yeah, he had a pretty heavy life and he actually fought in the Second World War. He was a good all around. A film met him and had a photo taken with him, and he worked with Dian Cilento, the wife of Sean Connery, in a film. And I spoke to Diane Silento about her memories of Peter Finch. In nineteen fifty five you did Passage Home with Peter Finch, I think the first film you did with Peter Finch, and of course Peter Finch being in Australian and working in radio and then making them move and there's a great photo of you and Peter Finch together. I noticed in the book the other day, and what was Peter Finch? What do your memories of Peter Finch?
Speaker 20: I adored Peter, who was actually at that time heavily involved in having an affair with Vivian Lee, so he was sort of brother occupied in the evenings. He used to come back completely tired from being up in Stratford and sort of well, I don't know quite conducting this extraordinary affair that he had. But he was incredibly protective of me, and because I was just starting and he was really I just loved him. He was just so nice. I mean, he taught me all sorts of interesting mad things, right. He taught me to sand fly dance with aborigin you do. We used to do that in the bar at the Pinewood Studios. On the mind boggles, all sorts of mad things like that.
Speaker 9: Wonderful, wonderful, They are toying Peter Finch. And but that did a lot of bed hopping, didn't they? In Hollywood and in the film industry, they're hearing who he was engaged with, shall we say, Kevin, Yes, it's a world I didn't quite experience into radio. Then it became endemic, Yeah, of course, yes, it became out of control. Actually, at one point we all were just so many beds, so much hopping, it was ridiculous.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And I know you were involved in some of some of the heaviest bed hopping I've ever seen.
Speaker 8: Well, I don't like to talk about it or brag. They called you the mattress. Yeah. Anyway, moving on, Kevin.
Speaker 25: Of nineteen seventy seven, is that what you were going to say, Andrew?
Speaker 9: Probably, I've got a far away look at my eye.
Speaker 8: Now he's reminiscing. You're gonna watch over.
Speaker 25: That fog it's floating around the studio.
Speaker 8: Happened to be last week.
Speaker 25: There were films like Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Saturday Night Fever in the Getting of Wisdom came out in nineteen seventy seven along with New York New York Now, this film starred Liza Manelli and Robert de Niro, and either.
Speaker 8: Of you have seen that. Yes, it was a bit heavy going, Yeah it wasn't that Probably the Sailors singing New York, New York wonderful. Yeah, no, that's Team Kelly. It's a different it's a different New York, New different New York. This is Robert and and he was sort of a sax player.
Speaker 9: That's right, A moody sax player, wasn't There was nothing worse than a moody sax player.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 25: Yeah, Well, this this particular film had a song in it written by Yeah.
Speaker 8: Right, Hendrick gets upset reminiscing about moody sax players.
Speaker 25: John Canada and Fred m wrote this song.
Speaker 8: He had a running with Wilbert Wilde once and he's never forgiven him, which is called New York, New York.
Speaker 25: And he became famous for Frank Sinatra. Oh yes, and this is the word started in this ninety seven seventh film, and three years later Sinatra has the big hit. But it was e Liza Minelli singing it in the film.
Speaker 32: A Little Town.
Speaker 26: No a mega brand new start of it.
Speaker 8: In All New York.
Speaker 34: Magus, Up to you York, New York Blues.
Speaker 11: For Wacome.
Speaker 34: He is a douzen sneeze, too fine and ping on a hill. Hell A listen, Creema Pama.
Speaker 26: Timel, the coaran, the thought of it in New York. If I can't say against Samnion anywhere, come on comes through.
Speaker 14: New Ya.
Speaker 8: How good is Liza Manelli? She was fantastic And it's a great song, isn't it?
Speaker 7: It is?
Speaker 8: Yeah, great song, but she had This wasn't a hit for her.
Speaker 9: It was just in the movie. And then a couple of years later son artrodize it and it becomes this international, multimillion selling disc.
Speaker 8: It did.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it re.
Speaker 8: Reignited.
Speaker 25: Is that the word reignited Snata's career?
Speaker 8: It did you? Now? Just before we break and get to the mystery voice, I may have implied that Wilbar Wilde was a grumpy saxophonist, But I've done our codes training, so I should I know I should issue a retraction there and say Wilberwold is not a grumpy saxophoners a lot.
Speaker 9: Of the slide.
Speaker 14: It's right.
Speaker 8: I've been thinking of another will no no, I was thinking of Joe Kamaliary. But still there that's no. I no, that's that was another joke, just for those who don't know the difference. They're both lovely guys. Just get it, will break, all right, Yeah, mystery voice after this It is mystery voice time. We invite you to be a part of this on zero four double seven six nine three six nine three via text. How does it work? I hear you all ask? Kevin Trask is going to play a mystery voice for us. We're all going to try and guess who it is. If you think you know, text your answer to that number zero four double seven six nine three six nine three and see if you can guess before we do. And when we finally do get it, we'll reveal your answers and find out who was the first person to correctly guess. Kevin, you usually give us a clue, Well, yes, I do. I just do that to be kind m M.
Speaker 25: And I'll do it again tonight.
Speaker 8: Please, no, no, no need to thank me. It's a bail.
Speaker 32: When I was that, I served a term as office boy.
Speaker 35: To when the term needs form A glean winners and a sweat the floor and a polished on the handle of the big fund door.
Speaker 32: I polish the handle so carefully that now I have the ruler of the Queen's as office boy.
Speaker 35: I made such a mark that he gave me the post of a junior clerk. I said, Brits for a smile, so bland and it coming on. It's a big ground and.
Speaker 9: Well skill obviously. But will it be a British entertainer No Australian Yes.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm thinking yeah, I thought I thought, would it be Gordon Chater? You saying Gordon Chader, I am saying Gordon Chater.
Speaker 25: No, Max Gillies, very very good. Well that's not Max.
Speaker 9: I'm going to do something around it.
Speaker 8: It's not a Philip Brady. Is it not a Philip Brady?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 8: Okay? Television star, yes, stage.
Speaker 9: Work, yes, still with us.
Speaker 8: No, okay, that rules out. I was going to say Gary McDonald was going to be my next guess is based in Sydney. I don't think so. No, it wasn't.
Speaker 25: Okay, that rules out the next guess, which was Lucky Girls. No, not Burt Newton, Stuart wag Staff good yess, No, not Stuart. Were they on a popular television show or movie at the time. Yes, And we're talking in nineteen seventy seven. Don't forget Graham Kennedy, not Graham Kennedy.
Speaker 11: Was it?
Speaker 9: Were they acting in this show or were they present?
Speaker 25: Put on your ben You're right asking good questions. The first part is correct. They were acting acting.
Speaker 8: Ross Higgins, not Ross Higgins. I thought I had Oh yeah, that was yeah, Paul. He used to be here comparing the show.
Speaker 25: Paul, Paul Paul Cronin. Is that's your answer?
Speaker 8: Yes, No, it's craky. You might so why don't you focus on the show. Yeah, so a drama TV show? Yes?
Speaker 26: Was it a riscue drama like ninety six or something?
Speaker 8: No, it wasn't Sullivan's. Sullivan's is correct. Oh, oh, we just played Dale Kerrigan in the Castle. We were just talking about him. Michael, Michael Caton.
Speaker 25: Michael Caton was in the Sutons for a long long time.
Speaker 8: No, he was, Oh yeah, he's to him. Some of the guy who played the barman in the Sullivan Reg.
Speaker 25: Gorman, my best friend him. That wasn't the late Redge.
Speaker 9: Oh this is ridiculous. No, it's not.
Speaker 8: You're wrong, right track Norman, Ye.
Speaker 25: Norman, Yame is correct, Thank you, well done?
Speaker 8: Yes, there, Well we're running out of cast members of the sol that's okay, you got a correct and Norman, well done, Oh good good, he was handling it very well.
Speaker 9: Thought well he was.
Speaker 25: He was in Men of La Mancha and lots of shirts.
Speaker 8: Can can we actually hear that again? Greg? Can we have another listen to Norman?
Speaker 32: Yim be good to when I was that I served the term as office boy.
Speaker 35: To win a term needs from a glean winners and a sweat the floor and a polished on the handle of the big fund door.
Speaker 32: I publish the handles carefully that now I have the ruler of the Queen's name.
Speaker 35: As office boy, I made such a mark that he gave me the post of a junior Clark.
Speaker 32: I save the ritz for a smile, so Bland and he comment on the big.
Speaker 9: Ground, and.
Speaker 8: That is marvelous. All right, real reveal who the winner was. After the break. We've got to get to a break so we can get to the songs of nineteen seventy seven. Back in a sec right, let's have a look Kevin at the popular songs of nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 25: Please, okay, boys, who's sang Tonight's the night?
Speaker 8: Rod Stewart, correct.
Speaker 25: Your lover's lifted me higher and higher.
Speaker 9: That would be Rita Coolidge, correct, who had incredible I met her most incredible shiny hair.
Speaker 8: She did, I believe. Yes, I'm not denying it, but we're running read. I'm sorry.
Speaker 9: You want to move on?
Speaker 25: Yes, Torn between two lovers.
Speaker 9: Mary McGregor, she was the very the musical wishbone dancing Queen Abba.
Speaker 25: You make me feel like dancing. Leo Sayer telephone line Ello Wow, Hotel, California. Yes, drawing Chuch, Southern.
Speaker 8: Nights, Southerlyn Campbell, Thank careful. Tony McManus is horrified that you and I don't like the Eagles.
Speaker 9: They saying that such a lovely place where more time.
Speaker 8: Or a screen you'll be and we'll be in for hiding in about an hour's time when I need you.
Speaker 25: Leo Sayer again, Correct, don't give up on.
Speaker 9: Us, don''t give up on us, baby dude, because we love you.
Speaker 8: So Dobie Brothers No, no, no, David soul Ah, everyone right.
Speaker 25: So I'm going to hit you with one more.
Speaker 8: Blinded by the light blind Man's version in seventy seven, people.
Speaker 9: Was trying to work out the rolling down the highway like a juice.
Speaker 8: Poop or something, and I'm very impressed. I'm very wrapped up like a juice another rolling.
Speaker 9: Just keep rolling through the night.
Speaker 19: That was it.
Speaker 25: And one of the bigger hits of nineteen seventy seven was Living next Door to Alice and it was an Australian song actually recorded by the British group Smoky great song.
Speaker 8: Let's take it to news. Where are we going next week? Kevin?
Speaker 25: It's a nineteen eighty.
Speaker 8: We'll see if that comes true.
Speaker 9: You give it be listening to.
Speaker 7: That, Believe sleeps.
Speaker 8: Jenny of Mary Warren Kiss Norman. Yeah, well done, Jenny, You're the winner.
Speaker 14: You have to give it. DS in the park.
Speaker 31: Tarnish, I remember, remember what your eyes were smalling in me?
Speaker 32: No, there's just a clod where one's the stars used to be.
Speaker 36: Memory ring back your one mist, my reverie.
Speaker 26: In my owns upon a star, I made a bar.
Speaker 36: So did you?
Speaker 7: You went away? Forsaking bow for you?
Speaker 26: I can forguess the dreams I won said, we.
Speaker 7: Remember, and you love me too.
Speaker 8: After all these years of listening to that beautiful song and the song I adore so much, Andrew, I've just realized what a hypocrite. He is singing that song. Why is that? Because he listened to the lyrics. It's all about his wife left him old forsaking old vows for new She's left him. In the song, he's the one who ran off with Liz Taylor. So yes, he did.
Speaker 9: He left Debbie for He left Debbie for Liz, and then of course Liz left him for Richard.
Speaker 8: Yes, it was.
Speaker 9: It was a shocking time for all of us.
Speaker 8: Yes, I was pretty caught. I was very upset at the time. I remember you now it is, Yes, so all this time I love that song, and I've just realized what a hypocritic Eddie Fisher is. A show never mind. Now it is montage time, though, and we invite you to be a part of this, just ahead of our special guest. We've got a guest coming on very shortly to talk about some recently uncovered footage which will be fascinating. But we want to we want people to text us now for the montage. We're going to play a montage with songs. All of these songs were hits in one particular year in the charts. We're not after the year the songs were released because some of them will have been released the year prior, but they were all collectively in the charts in one year. When you think you know what year that is, text your answer three to zero four, double seven, six, nine, three, six ninety three, and we'll read out the names of the first ten people to correctly guess.
Speaker 9: And the way we go, peez.
Speaker 7: Have to be mad?
Speaker 9: Do you have to be three?
Speaker 25: Do you have to be mad?
Speaker 15: What came I do?
Speaker 7: They will gonever?
Speaker 11: Then?
Speaker 14: Don't know how to love?
Speaker 8: Want to do hard.
Speaker 7: Johnson?
Speaker 11: Where the water is f well.
Speaker 37: Done, don't be shure.
Speaker 19: It's where you say see some No have money.
Speaker 32: Money isn't easy.
Speaker 26: Comband not a time, it's come back.
Speaker 11: I'll be gone.
Speaker 7: Housing my storm and holgy gone. That's not I have a mama, say a s.
Speaker 28: Walks out this morning and oman of the scum memories.
Speaker 14: Of you, Thank your pardon.
Speaker 37: I never promised you Wrose Guiden along with the sunshine.
Speaker 7: There's gotta be an array sometime at.
Speaker 14: The office words of paper score.
Speaker 7: She takes a break, drinks a lot of coffee, and she finds your heart stale. Wait, it's just another day.
Speaker 19: Think wacome, Maggie.
Speaker 37: I thank god Now some say you.
Speaker 29: Laid Suptember and I really should be back at school.
Speaker 9: How they knew had I come with.
Speaker 31: My hand on my gunner, every bache in my heart for mariea my dearest part, and Marie.
Speaker 14: And all those moving and.
Speaker 7: They go, they see, I'm just a prayed about the word.
Speaker 36: Around, push back on it. I don't tell you around, don't tell hungry that new.
Speaker 37: Cue really love No, I really love your.
Speaker 7: I think I love you so one of my soul afraid of I'm afraid that I'm not sure of if there is no cure for.
Speaker 29: L a international airport, where's the jetit intro.
Speaker 7: Tell a international air I won't see him?
Speaker 29: And maybe you forgotten sound the world of that twenty world. It's hard to fy myself.
Speaker 36: But and you.
Speaker 16: Get to get.
Speaker 7: Just tweet sweet.
Speaker 27: That.
Speaker 8: That's probably my favorite Russell Morris song.
Speaker 9: I have to say.
Speaker 8: But he had a few goodies, he did.
Speaker 9: But that's still going well, just about to sort of wrap it up, apparently, but going strong.
Speaker 8: And everyone you know the real thing was explosive and different and all of that. But that's the song to me that just says Russell Morris was fantastic. Is fantastic. Yeah, yeah, having already upset Wilbur Welton, John Camalleary tonight, let's throw Russell Morris into the big clowing.
Speaker 9: And it was trying to act all right, what was the year? And I did say, off are you? It was nineteen seventy two and I was wrong.
Speaker 8: You were just one year out nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 9: The year seventy one year. Hard to believe, fifty four years ago?
Speaker 8: Yes it earl. Congratulations Pierre from Seaford, who was the first person to correctly guess that it was nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, seventy one with the Chip Chippy Chief Cheef the great song o we Chopy Chirpy che love that song.
Speaker 8: Michael of Point Cook was second. Susie of Karen Beach, Robbie of Malulabah. Craig was also correct from suburb unknown he might be homeless, Hello Craig, feeling sorry for you and the Cold Andrew of Dandy Noong, Robin of Boxhill, North Ashley of East Doncaster, Michael of Werriby and Craig from West Footscray were the first ten to correctly guess nineteen seventy one. Many others did as well. Well done to you, but they were the first ten. That was the year nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 9: I remember it well. It was the first of the year I had my first pepper steak.
Speaker 8: Oh is that right? Yes, I remember well, I was being born. Well, actually I don't remember that bit well, but probably a good thing exactly.
Speaker 9: But for those who remember, the pepper steak was a very big item on seventies menus.
Speaker 8: Okay, nice, all right, you've run out of stuff to say. I'm I'm just conscious of the fact that we've got a guest waiting, so he should get to a break and get to him. Yes, good idea. Hey, this is kind of important.
Speaker 9: I like this. Someone contacted you a couple of days ago, didn't they. They did about something that's been found and handed into the National Film and Sound Archives.
Speaker 8: Yes, now, Simon Smith joins us. He is an occasional contributor to the program through his work at the National Film and Sound Archive. When he uncovers stuff that he thinks is possibly of interest to our audience, he always reaches out and we say, yes, let's have a chat about it. So welcome to you. Simon Smith from the National Film and Sound Archive.
Speaker 24: Good evening, Simon, and good evening, Andrew, and thanks having me on.
Speaker 8: Fantastic it's a pleasure. As Bruce used to say, Now, what exactly is your title before we get into this, Simon, what's your title at the National Film and Sound Archive?
Speaker 24: Jee, Well, look, it's curated, but I probably preck the arkivast to be honest. Yeah, just because you know, one of my main roles is working in our collections area, which means ensuring that you know, we keep building the collection and acquiring more and more things for the NFSA's collection. And that can be film or television, that can be radio, it can be music. Sometimes it's even games and all sorts of digital objects. So yeah, it's quite as an enormous collection as you know, Simon, and Andrew and I think it's four million items in counting, and it's a very dynamic collection of things old and you are coming in all the time.
Speaker 9: Well added to it of just recent times.
Speaker 8: Is this night's show?
Speaker 9: No, is this marvelous bit of footage of Melbourne sporting history.
Speaker 24: Tell us about it, Simon, Yes, Andrew, Look, it's really exciting for us because you know, there are so many people who just love the football and I love a football find with the best of them. And what we've recently been able to digitize, which was something from our collection, is the second half of the nineteen sixty four VFL Ground and Final. Now, of course, this is one of the most famous Grand Finals of the sixties. It was Melbourne versus Collingwood. It was a thriller, the lead changed a few times in the last quarter. But all we had previously, Chaps, was a nineteen minute newsreel compilation which had added a post sync sound, which means that the commentary was added afterwards. It's effectively filmed silently, So when you watch that footage, which has been around for a long time, and I know that it's on YouTube, you can fairly widely see it. It doesn't really capture the excitement of the game. It's all a bit you know, this is what happens, you know, sort of the afterwards commentary of it. But when we came across the actual television broadcast footage of it was so exciting because of course you get to hear Tony Charlston Don Hyde. I managed to track down Don Hyde. He's still alive and well, if I can say he's ninety four now. He remembered, you know, the game, of course, and he was very good friends with Tony Charlton, who's been gone for some time now. But also commentating on that game was a former VFL football as there was Jim Taylor, Jeff Leak of course, the gentle giant from Essendon, and the very opinionated Ian Cleveland who was a former umpire and was never short of an opinion on the game. You can hear him commentating as well. So what we have is that the last sixty four minutes, the entire second half of the sixty four Grand Final that we hadn't seen or heard before in this way. And of course, as I said, you know, towards the end of the game, you've got two of the most famous goals in VFL nineteen sixties footy history, of course, and that's the great Gabbo's rum and Ray Gablich was the captain of Collingwood at the time, and he gets the ball and there's no one between him and the goals, with about forty to fifty meters in front of him, so of course he famously bounces the ball three times. It's very wayward goes all over the place. He eventually manages to retrieve the ball on the last bounce and kicks it through. Now, the guys, you know, I love football history, and when I was looking into the research of this game, I didn't realize that, you know, Gabo hadn't he kicked two goals for the entire season, and both of those goals are in the last quarter of the Grand Final, right, astonishing captain Collingwood, But he hadn't kicked a goal for the whole year, and then he kicked two in five minutes in the last quarter, so absolutely, you know, the classic definition of the captain's goal. And of course Collingwood had been thrashed by the Demons two weeks earlier by fifteen goals, so Collingwood was the absolute underdog in the sixty four Grand Final. So here it was, we're deep into time on and it looks like the Pies might actually pinch it. But sure enough, near the hero of the game, and the hero of the Demons really the nineteen sixties to some degree, was Neil Crompton, and he was a back pocket player. Now, like Gabbo, he didn't kick a goal for the entire year. He hadn't kicked a goal for the previous two years, and he didn't kick a goal for the next two years, but he managed to be in the forward line of the Demon's forward line following his man. The ball just fell to him. He snapped it, kicked a goal, it went through and yeah, it was a truly a wonder snap. This was the only goal he kicked in five years, but it won the flag for the Demons. There was no further score, or there was a couple more points, but there was no further goals for the rest of the game. And so this was really the end of an era for Melbourne Football club. You know, they dominated the previous previous and it turned out to be Ron Brassey's last game because of course, in nineteen sixty five he went to Carlton, which of course is a massive, massive story for those who remember that. I mean, he was the captain of Melbourne and captains didn't usually leave, you know, successful teams to go to another team. But he went to Carlton and Melbourne coach Norm Smith was sacked i think the following year, and really Melbourne didn't recover for a huge amount of time after that, and of course you know that they went through a very long, barren period before eventually winning the flag. I think it was twenty twenty one against the Bulldogs. That's the pot of history.
Speaker 12: Really.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's fascinating. And this has turned up.
Speaker 9: This has come from a former Channel line technician. Is that right, Simon?
Speaker 24: Yeah, that's right, Andrew it did you know? I can say his name was Jeff Kilburn. For those who may know Jeff, he worked at Channel nine for a long time and he ended up at Channel ken after that. And Jeff was at GTV from nineteen fifty eight to nineteen seventy four, so at some point he's acquired these films. Now he's no longer alive, and I did speak to one of his daughters who wasn't sure why or how he'd sort of acquired these films. But what's funny, Andrew and Simon, is that supposedly Jeff hated the footy, and in fact GTV and probably HSV seven as well, they were deliberately put on staff to do the football coverage who couldn't stand or just didn't like football because they found that, you know that the technicians and the staff who were really into their footy would get a bit caught up in it and maybe forget to do their job a bit. Yes, so they ensured that they had people who weren't super into football who were the people who worked on those broadcasts.
Speaker 9: However, it's quite amazing, isn't it, and Jeff, people wouldn't understand these because so much money has paid for the rights to forty But all four stations seven, nine and two were covering football in nineteen sixty four.
Speaker 24: That's right, Andrew. It was a really unusual situation. You know, as many people know, television commencement in Australia in nineteen fifty six and by round one nineteen fifty seven VFL football was being broadcast and interestingly, guys for the first four years of football coverage, so from nineteen fifty seven to nineteen sixty the last quarter would be shown live of select games on both seven and nine. But what they found was that as a television licenses were going up as they were being more and more acquired by Australians Melburnians, it was actually affecting that the crowd figures at the games, and so you know, the clubs were watching smaller and smaller crowds going because people could listen to the first three quarters of the game and then watch the last quarterlive on seven or nine in those early days. So it came to a head in nineteen sixty one. Sixty one is the really bad year for VFL football coverage. That was when the VFL said, forget it, We're not doing a live last quarter anymore. And there's also no replays, so it was a real nineteen sixty one was a really barren year for football lovers on television. And then in nineteen sixty two they VFL relented because there was obviously quite an outcry that you know, people couldn't watch the footy anymore, even on replay, and so that restarted in nineteen sixty two, and so we then moved forward to nineteen sixty four and the VFL Grand Final we're talking about here. By that stage, as you said, Andrew, you know, it was a real rarity. You had seventy nine, the ABC and Channel O, which of course is now known as Channel ten, all covered. They all had cameras at the ground in sixty four, but there was no footage that survived from any of those from those networks of the game until now. And this is the Channel nine footage of the second half of the sixty four Grand Final.
Speaker 8: It is fantastic, what a great discovery, and what a great when I say great, great to have a Grand Final and the footage come to light, but great that it also contained such amazing features as you've just described to us, Simon, where do people go if they want to have a look at this and the article the great article you've written about it.
Speaker 24: Oh, thanks very much, Yes, Simon, Yes, look if they'd like to go to our website, which is NFSA dot gov dot au. That's the National Film and Sound Archives website. It's on our front page there. As you said, there's an article there, and we've put together a highlights package of the third quarter and the last quarters. I think the third quarter we've got about eight minutes of highlights and the last quarter is about eleven minutes. To be honest, guys, the second half, I think only six goals are kicked in the entire second half. It was a pretty blustery day, so conditions weren't great. There's a pretty tough game and of course close with some famous goals, so you get to see all of those, and yeah, hopefully people will go to our site and enjoy what they can see.
Speaker 9: All and glorious black and white. Thank you so much. Simon Argivis with the National Film and Sound Archive, do appreciate your calling in.
Speaker 24: Thanks so much, Andrew and Simon. Have a good night.
Speaker 8: Gooding your Simon, take care.
Speaker 9: Twenty eight to twelve. This is remember when we are only moments away from the Man, aren't we we are.
Speaker 8: We've got Tony McManus will join us shortly to tell us what's coming. For that, we've got time for calls. We want some calls on one double three six nine three. We've also got Morvin coming up in this. We're talking about yes, the Magic Man themselves. But earlier this evening we spoke to David Kilderry about the drive in Cinema and we would love a couple of calls. If you've got a fond memory or two of heading off to the drive in cinema, we'd love to hear.
Speaker 9: Yeah, let's say about your driving experience. Say were you one of the people stuffed in the boot of an F J. Holden going to see a movie at the drive in? Whatever it is? One double three six nine three is the number. Twenty five to twelve. Remember when Andrew McLaren Simon I was with you. We're talking drive ins. Please one one one double three, I should say six nine and three text first before we get the call.
Speaker 8: We're going to give the two GB number one.
Speaker 9: You said, I'm sort of international nationals kind of field. Anyway, Vicky, good evening, Simon and Andrew. The first film I was or the drive in it was Greece. Sadly that driving, along.
Speaker 8: With many others, is gone. Have great nighte guys. Thank you, Vicky.
Speaker 9: Have a great night yourself. From Jeff Hi, Simon, and Andrew. I only went to a drive in once. I went to Hoyt's Oakley. On the way home, at large spider emerged the wind screen, which had obviously come out of a window.
Speaker 8: Mountain speaker.
Speaker 9: Oh well, scary you remember those things. I think you might have been just a kid too at the time. Yeah, one, level three, six nine three, and I was expecting I was really expecting drivings to come back. This is from Jaden after the COVID pandemic.
Speaker 8: During and after the COVID Oh yeah, social distancing someone I never thought of it. Let's go to the movies, to go to the driving. It should could have could have happened, but didn't, but good thought. Well mate, thank you Jaden. Karen's in Altona Meadows.
Speaker 23: Hello Karen, hi Angel silent taking year seventeen. My husband and I used to go to the Trec Road when I think it was in Treck and we'll do it maybe and it was fantastic.
Speaker 21: I mean it's super.
Speaker 23: First one we saw was ey either, which is good.
Speaker 11: And I can't remember that.
Speaker 23: I used to the chicka rolls and I think they were hot doughnuts actually, and chips that you used to get.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, it was always the hot cuisine. Wasn't there the drive in?
Speaker 8: Yeah, well I mentioned before Karen. I went to the one Turner Trash and Treasure market and they still have the projectionists booth there with the canteen is still there. And I have to say the food was marvelous. Was the hot chips were amazing. They also did hot potato sweet potato chips burgers if you want them, and the food was really good. My memory, well, no, I did.
Speaker 9: I can't agree, not as what I used to go to drivers there seemed to be the worst food and it always was in the steel trays which were illuminated by the sort of yellowy orange light that it used to be over the food, and it gave them sort of an almost sort of a nuclear glow to the treats that were under the lines. Anyone remember that, but that always seemed to be the horrible, well to me, a horrible color that the.
Speaker 8: Food was presented to. Yes, thanks Karen Leann's in Minneapello, Leanne.
Speaker 22: Hi, Andrew Simon, Greg and Ben. I remember going to matt Preville Driving which is in Sydney, and I was about four or five, and Mum used to say, want me to go to sleep in the back see because they were watching the movie We Had Down, We Head Down. But the one thing I remember the most was the banana fritters with ice cream. They were phenomenal. And the swing set like the one in Greece used to sit there at kiddies playground area, wasn't there, Yeah, but the banana fred is and ice cream fantastic.
Speaker 8: You've you've just mentioned Leanne that like the playground like the one in Greece. Yes. John Travolta sings that song Yeah Sandy because she's throwing the ring back at him. When he tried to get a bit fresh and yeah, and he walks along and sits on the swing. I remember that I'd forgotten that scene.
Speaker 11: M hmm.
Speaker 22: Yeah, yeah, that's the good one. That's my memory of Mattreville, which is no longer there, of course.
Speaker 8: No, of course, yes, it's a sad pity.
Speaker 9: But as I said before we were talking with David, wasn't it, yes, killed that the land that those drivings was on has become so expensive.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so the rates would be would be paid. They were exactly right, Thank you, Leanne.
Speaker 27: My.
Speaker 8: I've been to the drive in a couple of times, but I only remember to movies that I definitely saw at the drive in. One was Ghostbusters in the nineteen eighties, and that was just sort of a special treat to go to a driving because it was it was something you don't do anymore, so we'll do it as a special treat. But I remember as a kid going with my next door neighbors to see Herbie Gohes Bananas. Yes, yes, one of those movies about that Volkswagen that develops a personality.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well this is a big Disney movie, wasn't it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there was a couple of those, Herbie.
Speaker 9: Slightly a few months older than you as I am. Yes, the main thing I remember going to the driving and seeing was rock and shock shows, where you'd see a horror movie with a rock movie. Yeah, so, and be on till about two o'clock in the morning, and half the time you'd be half asleep watching it.
Speaker 8: Your doze off.
Speaker 9: Eventually, YESLI was, oh, oh, the movie is twenty minutes on and you know into the movie that you hadn't realized.
Speaker 8: I just had another thought. No, I remember taking the kids as an experience. So we had a Ford Falcon station wagon and we had rear facing seats in the in the back because we had were a family of six and a station wagon only seats five, so we got rear mounted seats looking out the back door. And I thought, this will be great. We'll go to the drive in that will reverse into the spot and the kids can sit in the back and we lift the boot and they watch the movie. Great idea, What a brilliant idea of mine. I'm very proud of that idea. Of course, we get there and the seats are back a bit in the car and when you pop the boot it only goes up to roof level, so it's the line of sight is completely and utterly below the screen. You could not see a thing. What was the little speakers you hooked onto the window.
Speaker 9: That sort of problem with the with case there were there were inherent problems in drive in viewing with it.
Speaker 8: Drivings are really only good for two people to go to them movies. The other time we went, I took the kids to see Madagascar. By then we had a little four wheel drive thing that had a sunroof, and so we popped the sunroof and the kids stood up on the back seat and looked out the sunroof. So we sat in the front and watched the movie. They stood up and it was great.
Speaker 11: They loved that.
Speaker 8: That was quite unique.
Speaker 9: There we go.
Speaker 8: Now we better get to a break. We've got Mervin Purvis coming up very shortly after that. Tony McManus will join us to tell us what's coming up on Australia Overnight. Back in a minute. All right, our time now for the Mervin Purvis quick Quiz. We're playing these each Sunday night. Now it's a little tribute to Bruce and Phil and to Mervin, who is I'm not sure if Mervyn's still with us, I'll have to check. But here they are in the Mervin Purpose Quick Quiz.
Speaker 9: Who wants to be.
Speaker 25: On the oven Pervis have flash flunkies everywhere?
Speaker 7: Per us?
Speaker 32: Who wants the father of the country estate?
Speaker 8: A country estate is something I'd.
Speaker 19: Hate relieving fun seekers for special edition of well, perhaps an Olympic Games presentation of the Quick Quick?
Speaker 14: Yeah, So will all the questions be pertaining to sport?
Speaker 19: Let's go for gold, right and ready? Sport? You nobody's ever called me sport? How are you Murvyn? Are you right?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 19: Mister Dave Okay, Simon certainly am all right. Here's the first one. Ten points for everyone you get right, ten to fifty taken off depending on the stupidity of the answer. What percentage of British Men have no teeth? I'm going to give you ten points for humor. I quite enjoyed that.
Speaker 14: Ten percent higher than that thirty three percent or both of you lose ten points?
Speaker 19: Twenty four twenty four percent is right? On whom?
Speaker 14: To who are you just bea?
Speaker 8: We got that wrong?
Speaker 19: On whom did Joseph Lister perform the first operation using antiseptic?
Speaker 14: Who did he operate his auntie Marie Antoinette ten cow a cow.
Speaker 9: Why well, he didn't want to operate at a real human.
Speaker 32: His sister ineen sixties, she.
Speaker 14: Was called sister list she was a cow.
Speaker 19: Which game asked you to have four wins? Yes, Majong mar Jong is right, thank you? Approximately how long is the hercules beetle?
Speaker 8: Please?
Speaker 19: Eight inches? Three quarters of you know? Three quarters?
Speaker 8: Now four inches?
Speaker 14: Lose ten two inches five?
Speaker 19: So you all lose on that one? Who was the original Peeping Tom?
Speaker 14: General Tom Thumb? Lose ten on that one?
Speaker 19: Tom from Coventry in England.
Speaker 14: Who was he?
Speaker 19: He was a he was a perv.
Speaker 8: No, that's moving, Yes, that's me.
Speaker 19: He was a tailor who looked at Lady a Diver rude riding nude through Caventry in the procession in country. Well you being serious? No, because I collected Stephen grafts from from Coventry.
Speaker 37: You made only with her, and I have Lady a Diver on the horse with Peeping Tom looking out of a window onto her bare body.
Speaker 27: He was, well, that's something we've got in comedy, because I collect pictures of naked ladies as well.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and I'm a peeping Tom. So we're all got something you.
Speaker 14: I believe that I have a friend who's who waited in Beijing. His name is Thomas, so we called him peeking Tom.
Speaker 8: That's clever. Does he lose points for that?
Speaker 19: Mister D's twenty points for poor not even entertainment?
Speaker 14: Someone has to salvage a spot?
Speaker 19: To which family does the hippopotters? And for chin there's another twenty to which family there's the hippopotamus? Be gone along the hippopotamus as a pig. The ira who said pig, good on you Ian.
Speaker 14: He was a Victorian of the year.
Speaker 9: He was referring to you.
Speaker 19: Mister D's who rode mariongo Lady Godiva?
Speaker 14: That was the name of her jockey loose ten Wrango Maringo and Napoleon Bonaparte?
Speaker 19: How did you know that? Did you look over my shollow? Twenty point miss got honors in history? Great portrait painted by David What is a female fox called vixen? Is right? You were first up to ten points? Which animal can be broken into thousands of pieces, join itself up again and continue to live at jellyfish? Lose ten on any idea snake?
Speaker 8: It's a worm?
Speaker 32: Isn't it red sponge?
Speaker 19: Yes, the red Sponge of Mediasco. Who was Olive Oil's boyfriend before she met Popeye Whimpy.
Speaker 8: No, it was Bluto or Brutus.
Speaker 14: Well you can't have two. Well that's three answers.
Speaker 19: Well he's trying. I'm giving him ten points for trying.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 19: What are you doing?
Speaker 32: Oh, he's just a crawler hem gravy.
Speaker 14: Yes, that was his boyfriend. Such up to the Christ company.
Speaker 19: Who was cream Victoria's favorite girly or gilly?
Speaker 14: Mister Brown?
Speaker 19: Yes, John Brown is correct ten points for that. You're doing very well.
Speaker 8: He's only ten points behind Mervin.
Speaker 19: What is a young turkey called gobbler?
Speaker 24: No?
Speaker 19: Squab?
Speaker 14: A capon?
Speaker 19: Lose ten?
Speaker 8: A turkey?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 14: Yes, a poult.
Speaker 8: That's side from that movie Poltergeist.
Speaker 19: What does a potometer measure?
Speaker 9: Please?
Speaker 19: A potometer?
Speaker 8: Hippopotamuses?
Speaker 19: No oles in Rhodes.
Speaker 14: About little Grecian earned some things vases and things?
Speaker 7: Water intake?
Speaker 19: Yes, the intake of water. What is a knot?
Speaker 14: Yes, it's the speed of a ship at sea.
Speaker 19: A maritime measure.
Speaker 8: It's a string together.
Speaker 14: Yeah, ex what boy scouts tie?
Speaker 19: No lose ten or all all that one.
Speaker 32: It's a Russian flogging ship.
Speaker 19: Yes, they flogged the natives in that one. If a human baby grew as fast as a baby, well, how tall would it be by the time? It was two.
Speaker 14: Twenty seven feet tall?
Speaker 8: Lose ten on that three meters tall?
Speaker 19: Lose ten many ideas? He come on, baby whales grow very fast. Be about one hundred.
Speaker 32: Feet sixty five feet.
Speaker 19: Yes, you've got the silver, golden Bronze.
Speaker 14: Mervyn, I know I'm having a whale of a top marks who won?
Speaker 27: Well, Philip did very badly on minus seventy. Ian got up to thirty but got back down to ten, which is a bit of a shame. I was minus thirty, but Mervin won as always sixty points.
Speaker 8: Five to midnight, Tony McManus is here.
Speaker 38: Do you know how to fix the desk next door?
Speaker 8: Is it stuck? It's stuck? Has the motor gone on?
Speaker 9: Not happy?
Speaker 8: Jam?
Speaker 9: Is it up or down?
Speaker 38: It's dan?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 8: And you want it up a bit higher, a little bit.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 38: I don't have your technical expertise. When you come into this studio.
Speaker 8: I can have a look, but generally it just means it's stuffed. It's stuffed. It's stiff. That's happened. Well, it's stuffed. Would anybody report it? Thank god though, that it's not stuck at Pat Panetta levels.
Speaker 38: Well, Pet uses it up very very high.
Speaker 8: He does because he's incredibly tall, and it would mean that you could comfortably rest your nose on the desk, on the top.
Speaker 14: Of the desk.
Speaker 38: Just so the listener knows. We're blessed here at three A W Studios to have a desk that can be erect Yes, you.
Speaker 8: Know it, so it can move up to chest tire. Yeah, I stand on a Saturday night when I'm doing Can I stand from midawns too? Yeah? I did not know that.
Speaker 38: I'm trying to be healthier for you taking it well, I heard you. So you had a box of something dreadful for dinner.
Speaker 8: I had half a bag of.
Speaker 9: This is a real health receiver.
Speaker 38: No, And I nearly ran off the road when you said it. I mean really nearly, thinking you really should be doing better than that in life.
Speaker 8: Look, I normally would, but I came. I had a late So you're.
Speaker 38: Both sitting here drinking Coca cola and or PEPSI.
Speaker 19: Now this is not good.
Speaker 8: You know this is coming from someone who bends the elbow with the wicked gray.
Speaker 38: You're no longer working at a rock and roll radio station, Andrew churning out the hits.
Speaker 9: Coke zero old man is out there, isn't it.
Speaker 38: They're not at fourteen twenty two anymore.
Speaker 9: I never was. I never did rock and roll.
Speaker 8: And also Andrew, the man who will often say, just before I leave, are you're going to replash the chocolates before you go? It doesn't, but just the one and can you put them in a bowl? You've just said that on paper town. I can't be stuff going down to the other kitchen to get a bowl time I come into it.
Speaker 38: Still disgrace the culture. There's joints just deteriorating as we speak.
Speaker 8: You're lucky there's paper towel there.
Speaker 38: But they're beautifully presented, you know, little pieces of chocolate which we are almost grateful, and.
Speaker 9: Oh, very grateful.
Speaker 8: I've had five tonight.
Speaker 38: Well I heard you mention that, but I think you know it's all about you know, when food is presented to you at a restaurant, it's the food's got to be really good, but it's how it looks on the plate.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, my wife, it doesn't worry me that much, but Joanne becomes obsessed with that presentation.
Speaker 38: Presentation is very very important. It's a bit like grooming yourself.
Speaker 9: To me, it does matter. A roast meal was just served like the lamb with the potato on top and the beans on top of that.
Speaker 8: That's fine.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Speaker 8: Do you like big plates with little meals?
Speaker 38: I love bleak plates with very very tiny porsche.
Speaker 8: I can't.
Speaker 38: The restaurant they do that very tiny porsche.
Speaker 8: You're going to give me that plate, give me some food to put on.
Speaker 38: I think it's about it's about a sense of elegance. Yeah, an understatement.
Speaker 8: We're very different people, haven't we. Frankly I am as common as I really.
Speaker 9: What's coming up tomorrow morning for you? Tony?
Speaker 8: No idea that Nathan Kosh.
Speaker 38: Is a great vet and jenus fairbit to talk about too.
Speaker 8: You've got to ask him about that. Indian mentioned that.
Speaker 38: No were no doubt and how horrific that would be, you know, God forbid that. You know it doesn't happen that often now, but just very very sad. So we'll talk about that. Plenty of calls coming through have you.
Speaker 8: Been to sect to Slough once many many just once. You're just the ones when they first kicked off.
Speaker 9: Yeah, once many years ago.
Speaker 38: You've only of all the shows that they've done, you've only supported them once, Yes, only once.
Speaker 14: Beautiful. Anyway, we're going to talk about that.
Speaker 9: And not he holded.
Speaker 38: You mentioned Notty Holder yesterday.
Speaker 8: Home you didn't even know the name at Noddy.
Speaker 14: Holder from a slade having a birthday.
Speaker 38: So I want to talk about some of the great Nodty Holder songs as we go through the morning together Australia overnight. I'll see you after midnight. See I can't fix my desk.
Speaker 8: I'll come and have a look in about thirty seconds when the news is on. Thank you Tony, thank you Andy. See you next weeks. I look forward to it. The podcast will be up for the show in about fifteen minutes as well. Thank you for everyone who took part Dories. Should I use my closing Liane and I haven't got