Speaker 1: Story each and every week, every couple of weeks ago, Well we haven't seen him for a month or so. Is the one and only Roger Now Roger in his hot little hand has his tickets are lusting from about nineteen eighty for the Kiss band.
Speaker 2: Listeners, little tickets. Where are we going to see it?
Speaker 1: Ooid Stadium?
Speaker 2: Buy tickets to Kiss? Thanks so much, thank you. That'll be four dollars fifty for those tickets. Roger Sutherland, Does that bring back memories? Oh yes, Oh nineteen eighty Waveley Park, the fifth of November, fifth of November. You even remember the date? Oh yes, the fifth of November. Did you buy any merch?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I did not. No ten notes. No, I know one thing I can tell you. Dennis was talking about queueing. He was two days I queued to get into Yep. We camped there. We camped at Waverley Park. As a sixteen year old, I was so you.
Speaker 1: Mom and Dad said, oh, well, if you go go and camp there for a couple.
Speaker 2: Of days, see if you can get your tickets. Really I ran away, I left home. Yeah, I was going to see Kiss come Hella high Water. That was how it was.
Speaker 1: This is not long before you became a long serving forty year member of the police service here in Victor.
Speaker 2: Four years later. Yeah, four years later was a cop.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's bizarre, isn't it. That was great training. I didn't realize it was so close now that I put it like that. Four years that's crazy, isn't I know?
Speaker 1: So you were at your only twenty You had your twenty five. It was twenty when I started. Yep, unbelievable. Come and join us out. Roger's here for those that don't know where. Roger is a regular tribute.
Speaker 2: To the program and looks after a website called a Healthy Shift. We talk about all.
Speaker 1: Things to do with being a shift worker. Well, you call this being healthy. You look at me, Look at me, Look at.
Speaker 2: Me, looking a picture of health.
Speaker 1: You're looking well though I've got to say I lost a couple of kilos, but you look well and so feel pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yes, And you've got to get the.
Speaker 1: Right sleep and right lighting and all that sort of stuff. But feel really good.
Speaker 2: If I could just get rid of this nagging little cough, which Den's got as well. Yeah, but I've been warned, I've been given the notes. Many laugh on it. Do not make Tony laugh on it.
Speaker 1: That's when I start to cough chronically cough tears. We'll talk about first responders in justin Do you want to take some of these great calls that we've got plenty of people to talk to.
Speaker 2: Anything to do, anything on the.
Speaker 1: Program is open line, of course, but you can feel the I'll say that again.
Speaker 2: Come and jump on board and be part of it. Have you ever been to Israel? You and I should go. I have not been to Israel. We should take a whole bunch of people to Israel at some point. We still will do the show from the Pyramids that year. Sorry, excellent. I haven't done well, have I?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: I haven't been there a geography David, Good.
Speaker 5: Morning, good morning.
Speaker 6: If you did it from the Pyramids, you'd be in Egypt.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't tell the Egyptians.
Speaker 5: That you're in Israel.
Speaker 6: But there's plenty of great bass you can from here too.
Speaker 2: I've made a big mistake, you have.
Speaker 1: We're going to have some of that beautiful wine that's been producing on some of those old vines in Israel for many, many hundreds of years.
Speaker 2: Gee, they do some correct wine in that part of the world.
Speaker 6: Yeah, good one here and if you do it, you can do the show for my living room and I will tie you with good Israeli wine, beer and Pablo them so better than it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so complimentary accommodation. All we need really is air fares. That's right, we'll get We'll get Nathan Costa lives over on.
Speaker 2: The private jet. Nathan cost can fly us over. It's going beautifully so far. This is this has been a really worth while giga. We can go now.
Speaker 6: By Stephen Beer's private jet. I mean surely you've got one.
Speaker 2: And you would think you would have access to one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Anyway, I tell you why I called because I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get on tomorrow and it's sorry the twelfth in Australia, even though it's twenty eleven ten. I wanted to wish you happy early birthday Friday and hope it's a beautiful day and that you are treated very very nicely by the callers and by the family and by the friends.
Speaker 1: David, that's very very very kind of You're the first cab to do that and that's much appreciated.
Speaker 2: Can you believe that.
Speaker 1: This is not my first This is now my second birthday hosting this program, and as you well know, David, it's gone very buddy quickly, yeah.
Speaker 2: Really quickly.
Speaker 6: You've done a good job.
Speaker 2: Well, that's still to be decided, David.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of people saying you bring back Simon, but that's fine.
Speaker 6: Look, you share it around.
Speaker 2: We do share it around. And I appreciate that you were saying that. It's very kind of you. All else is well in the world, all the world. Yeah, yeah, all right, if we hopefully we might talk tomorrow. You look after yourself and thank you.
Speaker 1: For putting up your room for rent, room for rent, and we'll come and have us stay and do the broadcast from there, and opening the bar, and opening the bar with all the cracking wine that he's got in stock and enjoys the occasion a little whiskey as well.
Speaker 2: What could possibly go wrong? Graham?
Speaker 5: Your kind morning, Graham, How are you tony?
Speaker 2: We're well? Thank you? Rogers here Roger Sutherland from a healthy shift, Good morning, Greg.
Speaker 1: Roger's placement is he's a four couple, forty years in the service.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did forty years.
Speaker 5: My god, you'd have seen as many things as I've seen what whereabouts?
Speaker 2: What have you seen? No, don't start.
Speaker 5: I did a little stink with el on the bond and can't it.
Speaker 2: Oh you would have seen plenty.
Speaker 5: I learned plenty. Don't worry about that.
Speaker 2: I've got no doubt about that at all.
Speaker 5: You know, the good thing about games jailer is you will earn the major problem. And I think this was like twenty four years ago. The major problem was drugs. Like criminals, they don't really want to see your money for any other reason, scept by truck.
Speaker 2: I agree. I could not agree more with you. It's everything comes back to that, doesn't it.
Speaker 5: It looks sad, sad. Really it was interesting.
Speaker 1: It was actually being talked about on three a W in the last twenty four to thirty six hours crame.
Speaker 2: Where as some of those people, oh okay.
Speaker 5: Yous, I was getting my chemo treatment. That the WA public system here at Charlie Gardener is brilliant. I was in there for eight days. They gave me all the treatment. They looked after me like a bloody king, and all the nurses running around, cracking joke for them and breaking free cups of seir. And we'll be back at work painting in the outside of the house tomorrow. So good was good?
Speaker 2: Then? How are you feeling great?
Speaker 5: Great? Feel fantastic? So this this is this new trial program where they've got a mixture of chemo with something else. You know, they just give you a needle in the stomach. Only on the fourth day and the eighth day and the rest of the days you take pills and eat the free food and get the free coffee and check out all the good looking nurses. What life couldn't get better?
Speaker 2: Mate, I provide you with scenery as well as all that.
Speaker 5: Getting back to you, Roger. When I came out, I did a a half hour show with spread from Africa. I came out in two thousand, November two thousand, and I tied him. Then the biggest problem is going to be drugs in the bloody thing, because you could see it right in the system and there was no she can't never had a fence round up there. There was quite huge for people to have just dropped bloody. So I went out one day. I was out near the Servantine road and there was this big silver package right elf squoiled and I picked it up with impressed cannibate. I put it back again and I went back in and Aline said, did you report it? I said, do you know how long I'd last if I reported that?
Speaker 1: It's an interesting observation, Graham, thank you for that. We'll leave you there, except to say I heard on three ow Roger that there was inside the culture of say prisons, for example, there was a level of satisfaction with those if certain medications, drugs if you like, were available, because then there was no there was less damage and violence in the prison. I've got no doubt. And so there was this mixed emotion about it. Whilst it's wrongs is illegal. You and I say, well, why would you? The reality is it was a way of keeping a little bit of peace and.
Speaker 2: Kept order, that kept order, that kept order. Yeah, it just keeps a bit of order.
Speaker 1: Chears when we come back here, we want to talk about given them. He beautifully kicked it off for us.
Speaker 2: Graham.
Speaker 1: In terms of first responders, a massive day yesterday. We'll talk about it again this morning. First responder is how important they are right across Australia. Wherever you're tuned in might be five double A and Adelaide. We're here at three A W in Melbourne. Of courses, the ACE Radio Network and six P in Perth. Come join us one double three six nine three Perth listeners, one double three eight eighty two. I'm Tony McManus. Roger Sutherland is here. It's a healthy shift to all part of Australia overnight.
Speaker 2: We love being here.
Speaker 1: I hope you love being part of the program as well. Encourage you to do so. One double three six nine three. Roger Sutherland, a long serving police officer here in Victoria, survived it for forty years these days specialized as a range of things. A veteran law enforcement officer, he now coaches people to well, you'd almost say thrive, not just survive, because many of us go through life trying to survive. But it's more about thriving and he works with shift workers to provide ed you do the things they love outside the shift work. It's an interesting program and one that's still got a long way to play out. But going well, are you're allowed to announce make that announcement as yet or you'd rather not returning.
Speaker 2: To the fold for a little bit. Yeah, yeah, no, I'm actually been invited this week. I'm going back into the Fold at Victoria Police which has taken quite a bit for me to do, but I've been invited to go and speak at the Women in Policing events and I'm just so looking forward to doing this because women do shift work a lot harder, or females do shift work a lot harder than males do, and I focus predominantly on females and helping them with shift work. I'm well read in that area. Once again, I'll never know what it's like, but I study it pretty hard, and I'm going to go and help and educate at the Women in Policing about how females can go about doing shift work a lot better on I'm actually I'm nervous, but I'm really excited about it, which is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Is it about the people themselves or is it about the leadership group that you've also got to embrace and they need to embrace some of those things about which you've been talking now.
Speaker 2: For at least a couple of years. The leadership is something that what I'm trying to do is bring brand awareness, bring my awareness, because managers don't know that I exist. If people don't put it up to say, you know, we've got a blokeout here that's done forty years a shift work that is actually educating on how to go about shift work. Organizations, not just fit Pole, but I'm talking all organizations, nursing and everything don't educate their staff at all about how to go about shift work when they should when they should sleep, and then they don't actually consolidated. Everyone just learns from one thing to the next. So what I'm trying to do is change that. I want people to be educated on how to go about doing shift work because I can tell you Tony now, the seminars the feedback, but just been invited back to Port Fairy to go back and do a seminar down there at sun Farmer. The feedback out of that has been absolutely unbelievable. The unplanned leavers reduced, the morale is improved in the place. People have all said, I had no idea I could do it this way and it would be so much easier, and they are all coping so much better in that. So historically it hasn't been addressed at all at all, at all.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's such an important part of Australian culture and Australian work life.
Speaker 2: If I saved one ship, if I was to save one shift worker for vic Pole. It would save them one hundred thousand dollars right because they it's that year's salary. They wouldn't have to re educate, they wouldn't have to retrain do everything else. But and yet when I tell them what my seminars were, Oh, it's too expensive, coach, I think, are you kidding? You haven't got a budget for them. We haven't got the budget for that. But and the you know, Big Pole have closed down health and well being centers now as well, which has been public You know, they're closing their health and well being centers. So are we really caring about our people? We've got to start well. One of the principles of vick Pole is valuing our people. How are we valuing them if we're not supporting them and educating them on how to go about it from from womb to too in that sense?
Speaker 1: Really David and Matt Waverley, Hello, good morning. It was very very funny about the story of Grumpy Tony. It'll never get in the airplane, but it's.
Speaker 2: Very very clever.
Speaker 4: It's very clever, so I hope you like it. I can consider it a birthday present. Thank you. Now, I rang to say, yes, I came down at the showgrounds for three days to get kiss tickets.
Speaker 2: I can understand that. Do you remember, have you still got your ticket? David?
Speaker 4: Yes, I do, see my friends, but.
Speaker 2: I've still got my ticket. I still have my ticket. Unfortunately it doesn't have the price on it, which I wish it did. Were any idea what they would have been? I reckon it was. I think from memory and you can tell me, David. Would it have been nineteen dollars? I got a film? How much twenty twenty, nineteen ninety or something like that? It was twenty bucks? Yeah, for the ticket and we all camp down. We all camped out for days to get the tickets, and then we had to camp out again. We had to camp out again to actually get in because it was general admission. Do you remember how hot it was? And the food fight.
Speaker 5: It was horrible?
Speaker 2: It was and they were throwing ice buckets all over the people standing there, and the food fight once you got inside it was it was actually you can go YouTube that if your YouTube food fight Waverly Park kids, it comes up. It's unbelievable food fight.
Speaker 4: And then the MT comes out and says, you idiots, you need to come down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, otherwise kiss aren't coming out. So let me just done. I'm talking to her brother. Go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Just explained to we was somebody who was not there around Australia. What happens at a food fight? People were leaving anything. I don't happen how it started. The stupid thing was we went to hide behind one of the cops.
Speaker 2: Don't do that. Don't ever hide behind the cops because they're the ones that have been having the food thrown at them. Such such fun someone educated at sixteen and someone else has put a text up here as well. David Steve from North Kid. I camped there on the Wednesday, on the wednesdays. Now it was on Saturday night the show, and I was there from the friday. He was already there two days before me. Now he would be one of the people that was burning the pine poles to keep warm as well overnight. That went really well, David se Aarnie, Morning, mister Miaggi.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Tony Roger and Action Jackson. Now you mentioned B twenty four mile ladder, answer it or for later on?
Speaker 2: Well, the question was going to be how did D twenty four get its name? So go ahead.
Speaker 7: I don't know how I've got his name, but I went now with a few cops. I believe it was D twenty four, which is a communications line to call the police, and it was a quicker response to VKC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay. So D twenty four is the nickname that's given to the communications center. I want to challenge anybody out there, do you know why it is called D twenty four. It's only called D twenty four here in Victoriaia, in not interstate, so unfortunately we'll rule the South Australians and the West Australians out put. Would they have their own version? They don't have a detail. I don't know. Maybe they do, they are It's always VKC is the allocated call signed by the Department of Communications. So they say VKC. This is VKC two know the mulven Van or VKC two whatever. But their nickname is D twenty four. How did they earn that nickname? Why did they earn that nickname? I want to hear from someone.
Speaker 1: Anybody happened to be listening in South Australia. My great friend Peter Graham was a long serving commission towards the end. And I'm sure he worked in comms in South Australia going back to the early part of the eighties as well, and I'm sure he would be he'd know what nicknames there in that state.
Speaker 2: Because even he, even the junior bundies that would have no idea probably why D twenty four is called D twenty four, would still say get onto the board or get onto D twenty four.
Speaker 1: Former Commissioner of course in the wa Carlo Callahan, who did a lot of workout six PR in Perth, might be listening as well. He'd have some background on some of those names in wa.
Speaker 2: Ardie, thank you. In Elfington, Hello Simon.
Speaker 8: Bill Guys. I'm just looking at what's going on in America with companies falling into marines and all that sort of stuff. I hope we never get to that stage here. But I look at the bigions of dollars that are being wasted in Victoria. Why don't we just double the wages of the police force and bring.
Speaker 9: In some really top kids two protect the state and stop all the clime and make it worthwhile. Give them a free education if they.
Speaker 8: Want, you know, to go to UNI.
Speaker 9: Just offer them some incentives to be a police and.
Speaker 5: Climb enforcement officer.
Speaker 2: Yep, I couldn't agree more. But simon, I think we're not addressing it right that banning machetes makes it a retail problem. This is not a retail Yeah, it's not. You and I've talked about this. It's not. So why is it?
Speaker 1: Why is it being from a government point of view, from a government position of sort of saying the answer to this is, let's ban machete.
Speaker 2: Well, we banned guns work, does it? We banned guns and people still have guns. Yeah, but guns don't kill people and machetes don't kill people. Now you're sounding like somebody in in the middle of America. No, but guns don't kill people. It's the it's the person that's holding onto it, right, And that's what's got to be addressed. In my opinion, we have to address that. We have to address where these issues are coming from. You can't. I mean, guns are banned, you're not allowed to have a gun. But people have guns and they kill because the person pulls the trigger. Machete is a band now, but machetes are still turning up and they will continue to turn up because we're not addressing.
Speaker 1: The real problem. Well on Tom Elliott's program took some phone calls. I think either earlier this week or late last week. I was listening on the way home from somewhere and lots of people saying, oh heah, the readily available.
Speaker 2: Still you can go online and buy it. It's taken Amazon two weeks to decide we won't import them into Australia anymore. But people are still going to have them, and they're still going to turn up, and you can still buy them for what you want to buy them for, et cetera. Fantastic A lot of calls here, Come.
Speaker 4: And join them.
Speaker 1: We'll get the call of just to chick one double three six nine three. I'm Tony McManus. The one and only Roger Sutherland is here. We catch up with Roger every couple of weeks or so. Well part of Australia overnight it is three A W in Melbourne, the ACE Radio network right through at Victoria and into southern parts of New South Wales.
Speaker 2: Where else are we?
Speaker 1: Five double A in Adelaide, six pr in Birth and Katie in Melbourne's on the phone.
Speaker 10: Morning Katie, Hi, Tony, how how are you sorry? I'm not saved to ask that I was just thringing about the D twenty four.
Speaker 1: Now tell us about your history, if anything, how much you can say I'm not sure about D twenty four.
Speaker 10: Well, I asked the question oddly last week, following on from a conversation about Jared Kennedy and.
Speaker 2: Who is the actually Kennedy R Kennedy Division four.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so I ended up asking the question at work and the answer was that it was named after the room.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yes, can you elaborate.
Speaker 10: It where it was where those people worked, the first responders to the emergency call, the.
Speaker 2: Very very Victoria will give you the prize, Cody. There's no prize, but the price if we have some baaderly won. If we had a price, we'd give you a price. But can I just say though Victoria Police were the first police agency in Australia that had wireless communication, had radio communication and it was out of Room twenty four Corridor D at Russell Street. Isn't it a great piece? That's why it's not as D twenty four and still today even though it's no longer there, it's still known as D twenty four. Is it a great piece of the history? Pete, did you have a similar story along those lines. Ind Albert, Yes, I did beat me to it. Did you serve Pete?
Speaker 8: No, No, not at all.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: I I think I saw it on a probably a documentary on TV, some show I remember, just my mind might be playing tricks, but I think they showed just a picture of the door and D twenty four.
Speaker 4: Written on it. But I knew from that correer well.
Speaker 5: I believe that it was a room in the old.
Speaker 8: Russell Street police headquarters.
Speaker 2: I don't know what floor it was, but it was on a mezzanine floor and it faced when the Russell Street bomb went off. Of course, all the windows were blown out of D twenty four as well, and it was the bomb proof curtains that stopped the glassroom coming through. They were still operating during the straight after the bomb there that was operating, but above the door was literally D two four because it was in corridor D. And of course the room next to it was D twenty three, and the room next it was D twenty two, and so on and so forth. But yeah, it's great history. It is a lovely piece of history. Peter, well done, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Still in mont Albert's Big mont Albert and mont Albert Hello, Lenny, Yes, Lynn, go ahead, yeah, day twenty four.
Speaker 11: Now that that is absolutely correct. Main detectives in that area there and there was also a place in Dawson Street with the cop or Hollway cold cars and or no sell things that behind there as is where they saw the Bruige buses and that those days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, good on your le some great memories around that. So what's the acronym?
Speaker 1: Just remind me about c I B criminal Investigation Branch, branch, bureau.
Speaker 2: Well, it went it was bureau, went branch, and then it went to CRU, which is criminal Investigation Unit. I think that's what it is now CRU, not co B. No, it's not c IB anymore. Was such an iconic turn. Absolutely, it's been in touch with the C like the internal Investigations has changed names as well. It was it was B eleven when I started, and then it went to eleven, then it went to any PSC and then e SD and it's changed. Well, someone gets a promotion and gets a medal for it. Along the way the award design a phone book ad.
Speaker 12: He was great, Jimmy morning, Good morning, Tony, Roger, Jack, We're all here.
Speaker 2: What's happening in your world.
Speaker 12: Not much. You mostly just appointments after appointments all the time with John's.
Speaker 2: Sick of good on your gym. What do you got to go through that process?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 12: But anyway, good to speak to you, getting Roger and Goodloe speaking. It was just speaking event Thanks enough. Bring up about D twenty four. In all your years off policemen of forty years you were, you based in one or for several police stations and been the policeman for forty years. I suppose you'd still know a lot of policewomen and policemen still working these days. But the question I have that I mainly rang up for a while back. I heard on Jackie Felgate's show that they e bike had blown up and held the train for a couple of hours. I think it was on the Glen Waverley line. When I used to ride my pushbike all over the place, when I used to go far distances, I used to put my bike on and the high Buz guys were there, the guys trying to get their motor bikes on and bikes with petrol motors, and they used to the guys used to say, why aren't we allowed on? They said, because of danger, because of explosion. So now a knee bike battery is blown up. E bike's going to soon be banned off training tooters.
Speaker 2: A very good question. It's a great point, because there is a problem. Did you say the vision of that ship that was carrying I said, ship that was carrying all the electric cars caught fire. Oh the and then lost all those cars, about three thousand cars. Yeah. Yeah, and they just had to leave it gone out. They just had to leave it burn out there because of the Yeah, they couldn't do anything. This is a problem with the electric cars, and obviously with the e bikes it's quite apart from the fact that they're just a death trap with the way they're ridden around. I only got cleaned up by one.
Speaker 1: Well, it goes back to you, it goes back to your ideas. You said, it's not the guns, it's not the machetes.
Speaker 2: In this case, it's not the e bikes the dickheads that the dicks that actually ride them. Well, if you put a knee bike right there, right now, I'll guarantee it won't hurt you. If you just put a knee boat right there, just sitting there, it doesn't hurt you. It's whoever gets on and controls it, that's the problem. That's what needs addressing. It's like the guns. It's not the gun because a gun can sit there it will never ever hurt you ever. But if someone picks it up and they squeeze the trigger, then that's what needs addressing. You can take guns out of society, you can take machetes out of society. People are still going to get hold of them. The problem's got to be addressed at who's holding it? Yeah, who's holding it?
Speaker 1: Except that in America it's out of control. So what's the difference between the standard they take in America? Most states in the United States even under their document, under their the Constitution, and so that allows for that. And yet in Australia we gave back.
Speaker 2: All our guns.
Speaker 1: We're not a gun culture for the most part, and we have nowhere near the level of deaths associated with the firearms.
Speaker 2: And the other thing as well as suit I've always wondered, when was the last time you heard that there was an active shooter at a shopping center but some civilian pulled their own gun out and took them out in Australia, No, in the US, how often do you hear that? Never? Never. They alsoay that they have got the right to bear arms. But when was the last time that you heard that there was an active shoot at a shopping center or in a car park, or there was an issue going on. But Tony McManus, the civilian, pulled his own firearm out and resolved this issue.
Speaker 1: But it would be somebody who comes into your home and you've got a gun license and your guns in storage.
Speaker 2: Somebody comes into your home and you hold hold the Just stay there.
Speaker 1: I've got to go down to my safe. There's a great comedian who did a great sketch on this whose name.
Speaker 2: Just a schedule. Come back to me in just a tick.
Speaker 1: Stay there, I'm going to go get my gun. Don't move you race down to the other end of the house. You open your safe, won't you remember the code twenty four to the room.
Speaker 2: I'll be there. And remember you can't store your ammunition with your firearm. That's a separate but that's in another one. That's but hang on with your gun. Just hang on with your assuredly. Yep, I'll be with you. It's bizarre, It is bizarre. It is totally that's here in Australia. But then we talk about in the US where I've spoken to people that you know, they're just literally wearing firearms on their hips, like handguns on their hips, but they're never ever the ones that are resolving these issues. They're always standing back waiting for the cops to come in, and they're the ones that are having to take control of these situations. Why do we do this?
Speaker 1: We'll come back, We'll go to Rob in Richmond and it as well. Adrian's are more in come and join us. One double three six nine three. We love acronyms on the program. Acronyms. We're gonna have a lot of fun with just acronyms. One morning, one double three six nine three. It is Australia Overnight. Morning, Hey Robbie and Richmond, and thank you for being part of Australia Overnight. I'm Tony MCMANUSIR Rob and Roger Sutherland from a Healthy Shift is here.
Speaker 13: Hello to you, Ah Yes, Good morning Tiny and good morning Roger.
Speaker 4: Good morning to Roger.
Speaker 13: Thanks for your multiple decades of service to the community and respecting that you've been part of the force. I wanted to run a couple of ideas past you sure. Do you remember the game? As a child, you used to play Spotto? Yes, yeah, Well why can't the community get involved? Like the police can publish a list of the stolen cars and what the number plates are, and if we see it out in front of us and it's a black outy and the number plate doesn't match the Big Roads website, then we can give you a call and if that turns into tracking down a stolen car, then you know, the person get a one hundred dollars reward or something like that. Get the community involved, because you hear often on the news by that car was stolen in Beau Morren back in January around around.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the biggest problems that we have is the database of stolen cars has so many car stolen. How many people drive around? But you know what, Tony McManus, here's that black billimw and he remembers something about the regio, and I hear about the white Audi, So I remember something about the regio. Do you know what I mean? So you could have a lot of people out there. I can tell you where the problem lies. Who you're going to call when you actually see it. You're going to ring triple zero, and then it becomes a logistical nightmare to try and get And I know because I did this for twelve years. It's a logistical nightmare to get a police unit, which we have hardly any of on the road to get to you to where you are with that car driving around. And don't get me wrong, I can certainly see people ring I see things, and I think there's no point ringing. No one's going to be able to get to me anyway. Now, Yeah, and this is the problem because.
Speaker 1: Where has that always been the problem. I don't know that that's a new problem. It's always been a new problem in terms of how we communicate. How do we effectively get that instant reaction that we all look for when you see something and I have to talk to you over many many times, we saw a car raced down well, you know where we live, race down there very very quickly. Yep, no number plates on the car at the top of the WAZ model Mercedes Benz.
Speaker 2: So I rang and at least reported. Now, I don't have no idea where that went. But I'm not sure anybody would have investigated it. I don't know, but it'd be pot like if there's someone in the area. The other thing is at least you've rung and reported it. I think that's important because if that car was to go around the corner and take out some trial on the road, that's exactly right. Tony McManus has seen this car doing warped nine down that particular road at that time, So it adds more evidence and gravity to the incident instead of just oh, this is an unfortunate event. Particularly is no plates is usually giveaway. It's a good giveaway, good give taken off for a reason. It's a great point. Yeah, it's a good idea, rob thank you? Hello, is it morning?
Speaker 7: Are going?
Speaker 2: We will?
Speaker 14: That's good? Well, can I ask your question mate only to the placement. When I was a young girl, I was fostered and had a faster values did a good job as the placement people to his because they look.
Speaker 2: Like that's not the point, well, Dave Sullivan, Yeah.
Speaker 14: That's him. The sad part is of your sorry for you please, because if we call criminal guys to court, what's the good of heaven and chile cells, you guys are going to be able to work to them because they're going to say, well, what's the good heaven Charles burn them all down. We won't need them because everybody's are on Bayo.
Speaker 2: I know what the cells being for. I know what we'll use the jile cells for. Will all be in them because we'll feel so for in the jile cells than don't suggest that I know what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good Adelaide, Hello Adrian, good morning. Yes, Adrian will come back to you shortly, maureens In Mulalou. Do you know where Mula Loou is?
Speaker 2: No, tell me where?
Speaker 1: Well, it's Mula Loou's a beautiful sub It's north of Perth and Mululou's very, very coastal. So you've got some beautiful homes right there overlooking the Indian Ocean. The Mululou Hotels been there, I reckon probably was renovated maybe ten or twelve years ago. Overlooks some beautiful guards and right across the ocean one of the most spectacular views in Australia.
Speaker 2: Maureene, how am I doing?
Speaker 15: Not too bad? To too bad?
Speaker 2: Good voice?
Speaker 15: My opinion of all this goes back to parenting. I just see such a difference in the parents of today to how we were, and I'm in my nineties and then my kids and my grandkids to my great grandchildren. The parents today try and be friends with their children being parents.
Speaker 2: No consequence is there more.
Speaker 15: No, They're just allowed their little kings and queens and God, yes, all the rest of it, you know. And I mean they grow up with nobody can tell me what to do, nobody can touch me, you know, and they just do what they women will like and parents are trying to be friends with them instead of being parents and disciplining them. Totally stopped all that. We stopped it in the schools. And the only way you can help a child is to discipline them, and discipline them hard.
Speaker 2: Sometimes spare the rodspoil the child. That's how I was raised, Mareen, I couldn't agree more with you. I do honestly think that to solve the problems in society is that I've just got to be a consequence for the action. Because once there's a consequence, now that's good or bad. But there's got to be a consequence one way or another to positively or negatively reinforce the behavior.
Speaker 1: Adrian, Maureen, always good to talk to you, Thank you, look after yourself and keep in touch.
Speaker 2: Don't be a stranger. Adrian in Adelaide.
Speaker 3: Hello, Sorry, guys, I've got caught napping. We was, Yeah, I was just ringing up in relation to you're talking about D twenty four and all that a while ago.
Speaker 2: Yes, what did what.
Speaker 3: Did the k C stand for? Because well I knew more of that something to Victoria.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't, it's got nothing to It's just a call sign that's allocated by the Department of Communications. V Yeah, it's original and it stuck well. In Queensland it's VK or R or G I can't remember now, and New South Wales is either VK or VKG. So here in Victoria, our radio operators and our units on the road speaking to D twenty four will say VKC. And the reason why we used to say vk C two and VKC talking to is because we used to be on a VHF radio and it used to take a little bit of time to so you'd say VKC this is more than three eleven, and by the time the radio had opened, you would hear more than three to eleven. And that's why I used to say VKC this is or it was VKC two. We're back the other side of this.
Speaker 1: Roger Sutherland, it goes too quick. From a healthy shift. People have a look at the website which.
Speaker 2: Is called a Healthy shift dot com or work a healthy shift dot com. One would on the Insta for the cool kids at a underscore healthy underscore shift. And I've also got the podcast with Shift Workers, which is a healthy shift, a healthy shift where you get your podcasts. Always goodnes see, see you in a couple of works. You absolutely will. Thank you. Thank You're a good man. The wonderful Roger Sutherland leaving the program. We've got the music quiz that's coming up next to Straighter Revenue