Speaker 1: And Sue Quinn joins us now she's the co chair of the Save Birdswood Park Alliance. The first of four dropping public forums we held later today on the Burswood Racetrack and associated precinct diet They.
Speaker 2: Sue Hi Simon, thanks for having me, no problems at all.
Speaker 1: I imagine you're going along today.
Speaker 2: I'll be along to every single session. Basically, we planned to have a presence in the park, not a rally, not a protest, but just to be there to maybe help people better understand what's being touted here because we don't believe it the information that's out there accurately covers what's going on.
Speaker 1: Do you think it'll be an exchange of ideas SI, or are the project managers going to show you some nice drawings and a flyover and say this is what's going to happen and when Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think in this case we have had a couple of sessions where we have been given a presentation, so a couple of people that are involved in our alliance. But I think this they are it is there to tick that public consultation box so that people will go along there be able to have their say. They've said that they are encouraging us to contribute ideas to help shape the concept development. So basically they say this is happening no matter what. You're not here to object to it or oppose it or anything. You're here to just say, hey, well we would like to see this there, we'd like to see that there. So it's not really the consultation that particularly local residents in Burswood and in East Perth it will be most affected by a racetrack. It's not the consultation that we've been promised since this was first announced in January.
Speaker 1: So I think you're right it is going to go ahead. So that if it is a hybrid kind of consultation where you might be able to shape X, Y and z, how will you approach that? What do you want to see if it is going to go ahead?
Speaker 2: Well, we're not at this stage. We're doing all we can to have it stopped because it's you know, and to be clear, and we're getting so much criticism from people saying we're anti development and nimbi's and all that stuff, it's not true. People here have always known about the plans for Bursall Park as per the twenty year vision that was put out a while back. Everybody's been expecting that development. None of us have any problems with the antitheater, all the different even the cycling events, etc. They're basically trying to paint us as being objecting to everything. But the objection that we have is for the VP supercars, because clearly the noise from those is going to be unbearable for the people that live here. But part of their process is to tick that box to say they've consulted with the community. It's a long way down the track, and I think because it's taken them because they've received so much criticism from people saying well, when are we going to have our say? Now they've rolled this out. But the disappointing thing is that from a resident's point of view, we expected the opportunity to have a say as local resid how this would impact on us personally. But they have opened this up and the sessions are only for a couple of hours. Interestingly, the weekend ones only for two hours before the Eagles game and the Dockers games on Saturday and Sunday, clearly targeting sports fans and not really paying much attention to the people that have really been waiting to have a say on this and to find out exactly how this is going to impact on us.
Speaker 1: So did you, I think to be very yes, Sorry truck. So I was involved in some of the forums with regards the stadium back in the day, and there was some objections from residents then. But the forums did explain about how the roads would work, the fact that it was getting a pub, you know, the new bridge, all of that came into was eventually rolled out and the residents, a lot of the residents changed their minds. Were you part of that process as well or did you move into the area after the stadium was built? What impact does the stadium have on your meaning.
Speaker 2: Now? Yeah, no problem at all. I don't think you see that. There was this action many years ago. I've lived here for sixteen years. That was mainly regarding the closure of what was a beautiful golf course that many people had bought in the area for that reason. It was more the closure of the golf course and the development of the Crown Towers on that land more so than the stadium. Objection to the actual stadium. At the time, we remember there was probably about four or five other locations being banded around. People were saying, I don't necessarily think that right here, you know, on the burs of Peninsula is the right place. I think it might be better here or there. So there was some discussion about it, but there wasn't the opposition that there is to this thing here because this is a whole different thing. When the games are on the stadium, the noise is very well contained within there that the acoustics and the way that that was a stadium was designed was perfect for that and it doesn't impact on residents. If you close your door, you wouldn't even know there was anything going on out.
Speaker 1: So just one fine one for me, su And is if the V eight supercars weren't there for you know, one weekend a year like that, you know, like when they come the perse and they're upper barber Gellows. Would that suffice for you and your gang? Would you be okay with that?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? But what we've been told is categorically if supercars aren't part of this, and let's be honest, they have played this down since it was first announced as a motorsport street circuit in January. It's now the Perth Entertainment of Sporting Precinct and you barely see a mention of the eight supercars in any of the paraphernalia now, But the fact is that that is part of it. That is what we are objecting to. Nothing else. They can go ahead with the rest of the development, but the noise from supercars. You know, many of these people live literally meters forty to fifty meters from where the proposed racetrack is. It would be unbearable to them. That's what we're opposing to, end of the other.
Speaker 1: Things, all right, So good luck in attending the forums. Thank you for chatting to us today.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Thank you.