S1: From the newsrooms of the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. This is inside politics. I'm Jacqueline Maley, it's Friday, March 7th.
S2: You're gambling with World War three. We stand with Ukraine.
S3: President Zelensky is a modern day hero. He's a war hero.
S1: Well, the world order is rocky and it's looking to get even rockier. US President Donald Trump has had a spectacular falling out with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, and he has ended US military aid to Ukraine. This puts him completely at odds with his European allies. Meanwhile, Trump is waging a trade war and China is cruising warships off the Australian coast. The conflict in Gaza remains unresolved. So how will all this international uncertainty affect our election campaign? How much will the rest of the world intrude upon that campaign? And how can our domestic leaders keep focus on ordinary voting Australians when there is so much else going on around us? For this episode, we welcome our chief political correspondent, David Crowe, as usual, and also our national security guru correspondent Matthew Knott. Welcome, gentlemen.
S4: Hi, everyone.
S5: Hello to both of you.
S1: Matt, I want to start with you. Following Donald Trump's extraordinary clash with President Volodymyr Zelensky last Friday, what was the reaction in Canberra? Was there widespread sort of acknowledgement that this really changes the game in terms of our foreign policy settings, changes the world order? Or do people just shrug their shoulders?
S4: I know, definitely not a shrug of the shoulders. I think this is very much in the category of shocking, but not surprising. In terms of Trump's approach to Ukraine, it was pretty clearly spelled out well ahead of Election Day how he felt about it. He promised that he would end the war on day one of his administration. And now reality is coming home to to bite. But it was still incredible and alarming to see that a white House press conference that went so badly off the rails.
S6: I think we've seen enough. What do you think? What's this negotiation? This is going to be great television. I will say that.
S4: People in Canberra are policymakers. Politicians were just as shocked, as alarmed as everyone else, clearly showing that the US is essentially abandoning a Ukraine. Our closest partner is stepping away. Europe is having to step up and play more of a role. Where does that leave a country like Australia that is not on the continent, that is, that has provided important support to Ukraine, but is not a key player in the conflict. It went further also to show how unreliable America has come and lots of thoughts about how we would be affected. You know, if we can rely ourselves on a Trump administration.
S1: Mhm. David, what was the sort of public reaction from Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and the opposition leader Peter Dutton following that falling out.
S5: I think that both of them have really downplayed the impact, and I think their public remarks really are at odds with what we can all see in front of our very eyes, which is this, you know, really startling message from Donald Trump and from Washington, DC about alliances. They've turned their back on Ukraine. Donald Trump seems quite sympathetic to Vladimir Putin, the Russian president of all people. The response from Peter Dutton and Anthony Albanese is not to amplify this anxiety about America's direction in the world, and what that means for the American alliance.
S7: Well, I am responsible for Australia's foreign policy. Australia's foreign policy is determined, determined by Australia.
S5: We've seen the government sort of talk about what it's doing with the Aukus pact on nuclear submarines, for instance, to show that they're still on course. Peter Dutton and Anthony Albanese both expressed strong support for the US alliance. But at the same time there are differences opening up in terms of how they handle this US alliance and how they respond to Donald Trump. And we know that this is going to be a factor in the election campaign, because when we asked voters in our most recent resolve political monitor about responding to Donald Trump, a lot of Australians don't like some of the Donald Trump policies, but they think that Peter Dutton would be a better prime minister to handle Donald Trump. So this is a live issue during the election campaign, not the most compelling issue when you put it next to things like health and education, but still a factor.
S1: On Tuesday, it was reported following that sort of catastrophic falling out in the white House on Friday, it was then reported that the US had suspended all military aid to Ukraine. And then following that news, Anthony Albanese said he would be willing to deploy Australian troops to Ukraine. David, how big a force are we talking? Under what conditions? You know, how sort of fulsome was that offer?
S5: It was a very general will consider it kind of statement.
S7: We're open to consideration of any proposals going forward.
S5: And that's interesting in the sense that previous statements had kind of said that this wasn't something the Australian government was envisaging. So Anthony Albanese opened the door to it. But our peacekeeping deployments around the world are not measured in hundreds of soldiers. They're measured in dozens. And there are none in hotspots quite like Ukraine. I think we have some in Cyprus, for instance. So it was a very, you know, general offer. But I think the important thing is that it meant that what Anthony Albanese was saying was supportive of the message from the British prime minister, Keir Starmer, and the French president, Emmanuel Macron, who are developing this idea of a peacekeeping force. If there can be a truce in Ukraine. I mean, we're nowhere near a truce at the moment. We're nowhere near a truce. So it's a highly hypothetical scenario. But the message from Anthony Albanese lined us up with those European powers.
S1: In contrast, Matt, the opposition leader, Peter Dutton, ruled out sending troops to Ukraine. So, I mean, what do you make of that sort of split? It's quite a clear split, as David has just said. Albanese is lining himself up with the sort of European allies. Dutton is very clearly not.
S4: Yes, it is an interesting split, as David says, over quite a hypothetical scenario. You could imagine this going the other way. Peter Dutton has been a very strong on the issue of Ukraine rhetorically. He actually came out and said.
S3: No, I was disappointed by the scenes out of the white House. And I believe that President Zelensky requires the support of European countries of the United States.
S4: He went further than Anthony Albanese in terms of taking on Trump directly over Ukraine. But on this, he's said clearly that this isn't our fight. It's Europe's job to take up the responsibility. We don't know how big Australia's contribution would be to any peacekeeping force, but people are saying that what we're talking about here may not be a peacekeeping force like we are talking about in a place like Cyprus, the way Keir Starmer is talking about it, the British prime minister, he's talking about boots on the ground, jets in the air. It's perhaps more of an active, essentially fighting force, potentially, rather than just observing and helping to ensure this wonderful peace. Whether we're ever going to get there, there are a lot of people in the military space, you know, former army commanders and whatnot that you'll find who are saying, essentially our military is really stretched at full capacity in terms of what we're trying to do in our region. The Army has been being cut back in recent times to try and reprioritise towards the Navy towards Aukus submarines. We've seen the Chinese ship circumnavigating the continent. So many people in the defence space say, we don't have big resources to be sending significant numbers of Australian troops over to Europe right now, in a way backing up what Peter Dutton is saying. But other people have argued, well, look, we're dealing with Vladimir Putin. We're in a big negotiation here. We need to keep him off balance. And why not say that we're open to contributing to a force like this as we try and get a peace here that doesn't just give Putin everything he wants.
S1: David, last week we had Chinese warships off the Australian coast. We've got a trade war that Trump is waging with Canada, China and Mexico. Pretty much the whole world, possibly even us. There's a lot of international distractions around for the upcoming election campaign. I just wonder what you think of how much, how much of the campaign will focus on these external threats and pressures, and how much of it will be domestic?
S5: I think it it'll still be overwhelmingly domestic. Um, it will be about the cost of living. And I think, um, there are signals from Peter Dutton that he's got something in his back pocket on the cost of living. He basically said during one of his appearances during the week, we'll have an announcement that'll help households. He's biding his time on that for when the campaign begins in earnest. The government still has a March 25th budget on its schedule, so it can announce more on the cost of living. And I think that's where election campaigns go. But I think it's very important that the backdrop is global uncertainty, economic uncertainty as well as strategic uncertainty, in large part because of Donald Trump. Whether it's the tariffs hitting Australian industry or it's the concerns about Chinese ships, admittedly not Donald Trump's problem or the changes that are happening with Europe and Ukraine. Global uncertainty makes security part of the election campaign, and I think it will be a factor. It is something where the coalition and Peter Dutton have an advantage. Uh, voters tend to think of the coalition as the party to trust on security and defence, and we see that in our polling. So it's something where the government's got to make sure it's got a very clear message about security, because it will be a factor during the campaign.
S1: Yeah. And I mean, the public does need to be reassured on these matters. Matt, how much do you think that all of this international danger and uncertainty will affect the election campaign, or how will it affect the election campaign?
S4: Well, just to add in, one more factor that we haven't even discussed are the war in Gaza. There's an incredibly fragile ceasefire there at the moment that looks like it really could fall apart at any moment. The war could resume. We've already seen Israel implementing a full on siege, not allowing fuel and food to go into the strip. So this issue that has dominated and so divided Australia for long, could really roar back into prominence on top of everything else. It is an interesting divide because I think most Australians, the issues they're interested in are cost of living, health, education, they're there day to day lives, security. But the news cycle and what we're talking about is going to be so dominated by the chaos in Washington, in Ukraine, if everything's unravelling there in the Middle East, it's hard for some of these pretty small bread and butter promises. A funding announcement for here, a policy announcement there. They're not going to compete with these big issues of our time that we're living through. And I think it's going to be a fascinating campaign. I don't think there's been one in recent times where there's been so many foreign policy, so many external issues that could disrupt the campaign.
S1: Mhm. Yeah, that's a really interesting point because both leaders will need to focus as much as they can on domestic issues and to wrest back the agenda. But the vortex of the international news cycle, and particularly the Trump news cycle, is almost impossible to not be sucked into that. Getting back to pure domestic policies, in the last week, we've seen the PM roll out two pledges, which are very much heartland labor stuff. David, we had one on Medicare and one on schools funding. Tell us quickly about those.
S5: The the main Medicare um initiative was the $8.5 billion to improve bulk billing at GPS. The aim is to make sure that I think as many as 90% of people should be able to get bulk billing at GPS with this 8.5 billion. There are questions about whether it's enough. There are always questions about that, but it's a significant contribution to Medicare. There's also money going into urgent care clinics, which do seem to be popular. These are clinics funded by the federal government that offer an alternative going to the emergency department at the hospital. And that's, you know, something that helps people in the real world. Um, but I think the other big thing that happened was we got good economic news. We had an economic boost, in a sense, from the national accounts during the week. And this showed that there was an end to the per capita recession. One of the most cut through lines for the coalition has been saying that households are in a per capita recession. And we found that that ended, according to the figures that came out from the Bureau of Statistics on Wednesday. That's really positive for the government and got totally lost in all the geopolitical news. So maybe a lot of voters might not have even noticed it. But it was something the government, you know, was hopeful about in terms of launching their election campaign.
S1: I mean, it's a slightly technical point. It doesn't exactly. I mean, I think the growth rate was 0.1 of a percentage as opposed to being negative. So, you know, it's not a huge win for the government, is it.
S5: It was it was a better growth number. Well, it was a growth number, right? Yeah, but it was extremely small. The thing is, the thing is the government does have some numbers that that show inflation is falling.
S1: Yeah.
S5: It's way down on where it was when they got into power. All these things are factors that can help the government with an economic message, but it needs sharper communications to make a compelling economic message while coping with all these, you know, shocks from overseas. It's very challenging for the government to actually cut through.
S1: Um, and also, I mean, it does it accord with people's lived experience? You know, they make a set of statistics is one thing, but whether or not you feel it at the, at the, at the till when you go to the supermarket is another matter. We want to talk about the coalition, because what have we seen in the way of new domestic policies from Dutton over the last week or so?
S4: Uh, you wouldn't say a huge amount. They were extremely quick to match the Medicare promise, because I think they saw that that was a huge vulnerability, that that is very much a labour strength. And they didn't want to have any daylight between the government and the opposition. We've seen a lot of talk still about cutting the public service. You can tell they're not chasing votes in Canberra, because we're seeing a lot of activity in this space from the coalition about cutting public service numbers and also about getting them back to work. That there are too many public servants working from home. That was a policy announcement this week, but I wouldn't call it a very fulsome policy agenda. So far, what they would say is we're waiting for the election and we will roll out more policies. Then we saw them say they would add some more, uh, jets to the Air Force that were cut by labor last year. That's not a major transformation of our defence force in any way. It's adding some more planes. Um, actually, what many military experts say is that's maybe not the big priority right now. What we need to do is to get the Navy into shape. We need to be getting things like drones for the Defence force. So yeah, I'd say, uh, the coalition has certainly more policy announcements that they need to roll out, particularly in the economic space.
S1: Yeah, they're very small target at the moment. Okay. Let's go to election speculation. It's getting very annoying because it is so speculative. But let's play the game anyway quickly David Cyclone Alfred is bearing down on Queensland and northern New South Wales as we speak. And it might affect the election timing. How so?
S5: Well, I think Anthony Albanese would like to have the option of calling the election on Sunday or Monday so that the election could be held on April 12th, if, in his judgment, that put the government in a strong position of winning Cyclone Alfred has basically, you know, wiped away that prospect.
S3: Prime Minister, I know it pales in significance when we're talking about property and lives.
S7: But sure.
S3: For you? Does this cyclone basically rule out an election being called this weekend or early next week?
S7: I'm focused as much as some people here are focused on something else. I'm focused on the needs of Australians. This isn't a time to for party politics. I'm just focused on doing my job and governing, and that's something I've been focused on.
S5: It's highly unlikely for Cyclone Alfred to dissipate in a way that leaves south east Queensland and northern New South Wales unscathed, so therefore an election can't be called while there's a national emergency on like that. And that limits the government's options. Anthony Albanese on Thursday morning was much clearer about the prospect of a March 25th federal budget. And I think looking at that as a signal, it means that a may election is now more likely than not.
S1: Yeah, Matt, because basically the calculus is if he doesn't call it this weekend or by Monday at the latest, it won't be an April 12th election. And then he misses a window because there's Easter. Easter holidays, Anzac day.
S4: Exactly. We're running into Easter. May 7th would still be a possibility. That's an option. Yeah. Look, if if the storm really does go the way it's looking, which is not very good at all, and the rhetoric does seem to be shifting around the budget, as David says. And that just creates more time for unforeseen events to come in and and change the the lay of the land. The polling hasn't been moving in a great direction for the government. We don't expect another interest rate cut. So what they could deliver in a budget in terms of more cost of living relief, you know, they could they could use that as a platform. But we're seeing that the Prime Minister is beholden to not just Donald Trump, but also to the weather.
S1: Yeah, yeah. An act of God, as it were. None of that really brings us closer to an answer on when it might be, but we will know more by Monday. It'll either be a pre-easter election or a post-easter election, so the Easter Bunny will be unscathed by politics. Gentlemen, thank you so much for your time. Let us do this again very soon.
S4: Thank you.
S5: Cheers, Jackie. See you. Matt.
S1: Today's episode of Inside Politics was produced by Tammy Mills with technical assistance from Debbie Harrington and Josh towers. Tom McKendrick is our head of audio. Inside politics is a production of The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald. To support our journalism, subscribe to us by visiting The Age or smh.com.au. Slash, subscribe and sign up for our Inside Politics newsletter to receive a comprehensive summary of the week's most important political news, analysis and insights in your inbox every week. Links are in the show. Notes. I'm Jacqueline Maley, this is inside politics. Thank you for listening.