S1: It's unprecedented what we've seen of late with Adam, do you think? Look, I had a blow up with Gus Gould. I walked out of training once, but then I played that weekend because I thought I can't let my teammates down.
S2: Hey, there. Welcome to the Continuous Call Team daily podcast. My name is Adam Haws, and I just gave a shock to my cohost, M G Mark Geier. Welcome.
S1: Is this on? Are we here? Are we here yet? Dad, welcome. I'm here for a, uh, a great discussion today because it's been a quiet week in rugby league. Not much to talk about. Very snoozy the game that always it just never sleeps, does it?
S2: Never sleeps. Especially at Tiger Town. Today though, Benji, Marshall and Adam do. We have come forward and spoken of mistakes they have made in this rift, which they are putting together because Benji has named Adam Dewi back at halfback for his team to take on the Eagles this Sunday. So they're hoping that's the end of this dispute. After Adam walked out, of course, last week, m g uh, you heard the press conference. Do you think this is all hunky dory now? It's in the past. We can all move on and hold hands.
S1: We'd like to hope so, horsie. You'd like to hope so for the Tigers fans sake. You know, there's there's not just one set of fans. We've got the fans of the the Tigers per se, who have been fans of the joint venture since 1999. But you've also got old Balmain fans. You've got old Western suburbs, Magpies fans, and they're the ones who keep. We keep asking. All the Tigers keep asking to come to the three grounds we've got and keep buying the jerseys, and then there doesn't seem to be a year go by that the Tigers don't have drama. Mhm. And I think it's unprecedented what we've seen of late with Adam. Do you think. I look I had a blow up with Gus Gould. I walked out of training once, but then I played that weekend because I thought I can't let my teammates down. I just can't do it. It's not in my it's not in my DNA. But the Monday rugby league players are a lot different to what we were yesterday. You know, you get dropped these days back to reserve grade. You're in the phone of your manager saying, I want out of this place. I don't think I'm any good. There is no intestinal fortitude in the modern day rugby league player, And that's across everyone, not just I'm not saying Adam is in that basket. He might love the club too much. I don't know, but I'm glad they've put a bow on it because what we need now is a Tigers fan. If you are one, is is to finish the season with 3 or 4 wins. Yeah. And the only thing that will get this will flush. This drama is a victory.
S2: Yeah. Well look Adam Dewey, he definitely did show some backbone today. He could have hidden a lot of players in this instance would have hidden behind, uh, media managers. But he came forward and he admitted he got things wrong. He said, I'm a I'm an overthinker, I'm an overthinker. There was a miscommunication, which obviously goes back to the judiciary hearing when he got off last week and he had no word from Benji Marshall. Benji said today, well, I had sick kids. They were on the verge of going to hospital, so I was a bit tied up. Sorry.
S1: You see all these we don't know. We don't hear all this.
S2: Yeah. So? So Adam's overthought things. He feels undervalued. He has a blow up. He walks out. He had no idea it was going to cause the shitstorm that we saw over the weekend. When he pulled out of that, that team that got thumped by the Raiders. So credit to him. He admits now he should have played. His manager was telling him to play, but he's stubborn, he admitted. He's stubborn, Adam. Do he? And he dug his heels in and didn't play. But he regrets that now.
S1: Yeah, that's.
S2: Well, I'll give him credit for that.
S1: I'm glad he's. Come on. I'm glad he said that. Because you could just play that the victim card for as long as you want. And I don't think Adam did. He thinks he's a victim. I think you know, that makes sense. You know that Benji didn't get back to him because he's got his own dramas and. Yeah, um, I do in all of this feel sorry for one bloke. And that's Javon Andrews who made his debut. Yeah. Um, last week against the Raiders and the poor kid was just in a, in a thunderstorm. You know, he's kind of trying to get his first grade game together and all this peripheral stuff's going on in the background. I, I hope he's not too discouraged. I know he's back on in New South Wales Cup this week. Um, but I hope he doesn't get too discouraged because the kid can play. I've seen a lot of him this year and he's got a really nice temperament. Um, he's a, he's a big bodied halfback, but uh, look Tigers fans hold on hopefully hopefully this weekend against your eels they can get. Oh that's right. Your eels are playing him this weekend.
S2: The timing's amazing, isn't it? You watched that today and you think, oh, they're all happy families again. Oh, who are they playing? Parramatta. You wouldn't believe it, would you? But look for Tigers fans going forward because there has been reports that Adam is off to Perth Bears. He's not going to stick around. But he was adamant today. I love this club, I love Benji, I love the badge. I'm not going anywhere. I've got a three year deal. I don't walk out on contracts. So he's adamant he's not walking out of the Tigers.
S1: It's the 29th of July today and that's the first I've heard of that. If he does that, he'll erase all the dramas. He'll erase all the dramas. If he sticks solid to his three year deal with the Tigers and sees it out. And I think he will if he said that. I haven't heard him say that. And as we're recording this podcast, you're giving me news that I haven't heard. But if he's saying that, well done. I think it's the best thing he's said in the last week.
S2: Well, he's apologizing for letting down the fans. So he's not he wouldn't do that again because walking out would let the fans down again. So he's not going to do that again. So I'm going to take Adam Dewey at his word.
S1: I think so, yeah. I'm with you.
S2: Yeah. So we'll see what happens. Benji Marshall also admitted that he he got things wrong on reflection, including moving him from half back to lock because he has been their best player. He's been playing half back. Jerome Lewis is leaving the Tigers, so why wouldn't you have dropped him to the bench? That's the question I asked anyway. So he's admitted. Yeah. On reflection I got that wrong. Uh, and he's also Benji admitted that yes, I probably do need some help above me, which is what we've been calling for. Uh, it's time for him to have a senior head over him, sort of saying, hey, Benji, maybe do this. Maybe that was.
S1: What about the irony in this? If this happens, we've seen that, um, Ivan Cleary is leaving the Panthers next year, last year, next year. What if he went over back to where he was as a as an advisory capacity for Benji Marshall.
S2: He got back in the bus and took the bus back.
S1: Hey, you never, never, ever say no in this game. It could happen. We know he's going to coach New South Wales Ivan Cleary. He's going to have time up his sleeve. It's only for six weeks a year. So imagine him going back and helping out the club. I've seen. No, I haven't seen. Do you remember.
S2: Do you remember when the Tigers played the Panthers and the Tigers fans now he was waving.
S1: Yeah. Yeah. Oh, mate.
S2: Man. There's some water. There's some water.
S1: Imagine it, imagine it. There'd be the biggest story of the year in rugby league if it happened.
S2: It makes sense, mate. Now you mention it. It actually makes sense. He's a perfect.
S1: Guy. He's the perfect guy for them.
S2: And he could do his origin.
S1: Yes, yes.
S2: Wow.
S1: Talk to each other. Get into bed with each other. Why not?
S2: Will you stop saying that expression?
S1: Get into bed.
S2: Uh. Anyway. So. Yeah. Look. Parramatta, do you think Parramatta players will be watching this going, oh, geez, what do.
S1: We look like? Their fans? Oh shit. Why us? Why can't they be playing the Warriors or the Panthers this week?
S2: Oh dear. Anyway, so we'll see. Hopefully that's all done and dusted. There was. I did get worried. I was worried by one thing Adam did. He said. He said I'm all in. And then we heard Jerome. Do I say that? Didn't we? And we saw how that ended.
S1: Yeah. Look, it's it's it's the modern day. We we we allow clauses. We allow guys to, you know, back in the day. And I'm not, I hope saying back in the day because straight away you sound like a dinosaur. But If a player would even dare speak to another club while they're under contract. Back in our day. Yeah, like like AFL. One good thing they really have that. We don't. But when I was on radio with Mick Molloy, he used to say, I can't believe this thing that you guys. He signed with Penrith now, but he signed with the dogs next year. He goes, if that was one of my players at Richmond who signed with the Essendon Bombers for next year, guess what we'd do? Mhm. Out you go. Right now. Right now that like they got a point.
S2: Well, you've got you've got Connor Watson playing for the Roosters. Dragons Chiefs Jarome Luai Tigers, eels chiefs. This is all going to play out. It's just crazy. The system needs changing. That's a whole other.
S1: I think it does. Yeah it is another episode. But I think you're right.
S2: Um just just finally on that. The man who could have actually brought this all together, the Tigers together is Danny Abdallah, who lost his family.
S1: Well, my young bloke was there um, at training through the week and he said, dad, um, Danny, who's who lost his kids in that car accident, horrific, horrific. He came to training because apparently he's a good mate of Adam Davies. And he spoke to us and he said that it was almost tears to every kid at training. I went, oh man, I know Danny. I met Danny many times in the last 5 or 6 years and what he's gone through, I suppose if he can say anything to a rugby league team to inspire them. The Tigers at the moment need something like that. They need something that says, you know what? There's bigger. There's bigger dramas outside of the world than what we're going through at the moment, because it's perspective. It's perspective. It's perspective personified. Like this guy lost his kids and by a drink driver and he's still preaching to the world that forgive, forgive, forgive. Like, come on, come on. Let's put things in perspective. And I'm glad you brought that up because I've forgotten all about that. When my young black two days ago said that he'd been at training, I went, wow, how powerful is that?
S2: Adam Dewey would listen to that and go, hey, jeez, I've been moved from halfback to lock. You know, blokes are vaping at training, you know.
S1: Well, that's that's that's bullshit. The vaping at training, like I said to me, I'm like, what's this vaping at training shit. He goes as if as if anyone would have a vape at training, and as if someone wouldn't say, hey, what are you doing? Like, just it's.
S2: Just a bit of clickbait.
S1: It doesn't.
S2: Happen. Alright. Uh, dragons are sniffing around Kodi Nikorima or more than they've got him around. Is it official?
S1: I think it's a done deal.
S2: It's over the line. Amazing. Yeah. So, what are you, mate? How do they fit all these blokes in? Uh, they've got about six new signings now. What? Drinkwater.
S1: Yep. They've got Drinkwater. Callum. Matangi.
S2: Koloamatangi.
S1: Uh uh, Nick you mentioned um John. John Morris is going there from the Tigers.
S2: Is he coming back?
S1: He's going back.
S2: No, he's assistant coach.
S1: An assistant coach. He's trying to expand upon his 300 games. He's going to play interchange. Um look I think now if right now I think the Dragons make the eight next year. Lock it in lock it in. That's my bold. My bold prediction for next year is that the dragons not just will make it. They definitely will make the eight.
S2: Wooden spooners to finalist.
S1: Yes. When's the last time that happened? I don't know, it.
S2: Could be this year. Newcastle will drop.
S1: Oh! Oh, bastard. Bastard I know. Um. Look, you put them names. You mentioned horsey with the Kautzman twins with Dylan Egan, Hamish Stuart throwing, Val Holmes and Gutho. I just hope the Dragons have enough speed to keep up with this spine. You know, they need to. They need some because Terrell Sloan's gone and he's the fastest player by a mile at the moment. They're lacking that guy who can run 100m like the Titans the other day against them showed how you can score a try from 50m out. The Dragons can't score many tries from 50m out, but with these new guys coming, they can certainly make the breaks that will lead to 50 meter tries.
S2: You mentioned Clint Gutherson. Where does he fit in next year? The veteran just played his 250 game.
S1: I think he's too slow for a centre or wing and I think he's not. I think he's.
S2: Because Drinkwater is fullback obviously.
S1: Yeah well Nick arena and McCaffrey halves. I think Gutho has a perfect 14. Just come on and be a you know a bit of a filler.
S2: Or there could be a tough conversation.
S1: Like, you know, you can go with Locke, play second row. He can play center like at a pinch. But I think his days at starting maybe over next year, once all the cavalry arrives.
S2: Laurie Daley has spoken about these reports. He's stepping down as blues coach, which we we figure he will do. We know that. But he's still holding off on an announcement. But it's more the health side of things. He's come out and clarified that, hey, what did he say?
S1: There's nothing nothing wrong with me. Yeah. So I sent him a text last night, you know, wishing him all the best because we broke it. I spoke to Clint Maynard yesterday, and as I was about to sign off, he said, wait there. There's breaking news that Laurie Daley has stepped down from New South Wales coach because of health reasons. So I got straight on my on my phone to Loz and said, mate, just heard the news. Hope it's okay. And is there anything we can do, you know, to help? And he said, mate, I'm fine. He said there's no health issues. He said it's.
S2: Well, that is good news.
S1: Well it's great news. Um, but now I suppose everything goes towards who's going to replace him. Um I know Joey Jones won't be. He's, he's already said no he's not. He's going to, you know, stop the speculation. So we will I think it's got to be Boyd Cordner with that. Matt King Brett White set up if not left left of field or right of field whatever you want it. John Strange.
S2: Oh yeah.
S1: Women's coach John Strange for you. I don't know. It's like I think I like the I like I like the beat of his drum. Yep. I just like what he does. I think I think he's a very hard for a man to coach in a girl's game and have authority without being too bombastic. Yeah. And I like the way he massages his ego into the girl's game without being too over the top. Um, so I think he'd be fantastic for the blokes game. I think he's look, he's, he's got a son and daughter both playing. They, you know they look like great kids. John Strange you could do worse than him for a year just to give it a go. Interesting because Ivan will be the coach after that.
S2: Ivan. Yeah. I still think that could make a a bending of the rules and bring Ivan in next year because the transition is underway. Penrith anyway, with Peter Wallace they bring Ivan in. Uh. Yeah.
S1: Didn't see that coming. Did you see it coming?
S2: Sort of. Well, well. Still a bit cool, but there's been some defensive issues on the left, hasn't there? So he's made he's pulled the pins. Yeah. Yeah. Yep. That's the sign of a good coach m g great job. Finished already? Yeah. Gotta move on, mate.
S1: Let's keep.
S2: Going. You got.
S1: Another day. Let's do a marathon. The daily marathon.
S2: Gotta keep it short.
S1: And punchy.
S2: Mate. Like how you used to play for the Panthers, mate.
S1: Off the bench.
S2: Off the bench. Hit him hard and get out of there.
S1: What about when I first come back? My first year back in 98, I was on the bench for every game that year and I averaged like in the first half. I'd come on after ten minutes, then go off in ten minutes because unlimited, unlimited to change back in them days. No more of them days.
S2: Good old days.
S1: You were good. Did I.
S2: Was I. Yeah mate.
S1: You're always.
S2: Good.
S1: You're always.
S2: Good. You can come back any time, right? You're gibbering now. Okay. Uh, thank you for watching the Continuous Call Team daily podcast. You can catch us on YouTube and Instagram. Make sure you subscribe and I'll catch you tomorrow.