S1: From the newsrooms of the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. This is the morning edition. I'm Samantha Cylinder Morris. It's Monday, March 3rd. The world is full of doom and gloom. So today we're bringing you something a little bit different for your Monday. It's a conversation with David Wenham, the Australian actor who has starred in blockbusters like Lord of the rings, Pirates of the Caribbean and the spartan epic 300. But those aren't the rules that prompt people to stop him on the street. No, they want to talk about his character, John Francis Spitieri, a two bit criminal and ex-junkie who first made his debut 22 years ago in the Aussie indie classic Gettin Square. So beloved was this character that he's now the star of a spin off spit, which debuts on Thursday today. David Wenham on Why here in Australia, and unlike in North America or the United Kingdom, we celebrate the downtrodden, the criminal and the devastated rather than classic success stories. So, David, let's start off with your latest role. This is, of course, the infamous John Francis Battery. Just briefly tell me, who is he?
S2: Well, John Francis battery, he's a he's an ex, small time crim who now is also an ex-junkie. And some people may have met him more than 20 years, 22 years ago in a film called Gettin Square.
S3: I'm gonna get square and I'm gonna stay fuckin square. Yeah, you do it, mate.
S2: And at the end of that film, he left the shores to get clean. So we've made a spin off, not a sequel, a spin off whereby we focus literally on John Francis battery. It's called spit. And the film starts with. With spit returning to Australia after 22 years, and he doesn't get very far, and he gets pulled up by the authorities and he gets thrown into immigration detention.
S4: Lock him up. This is Australia. It's still a free country, isn't it?
S5: Why are you in this place? Oh, my. This is a tragic case of mistaken identity.
S6: International fugitive. Money launderer. Criminal mastermind John Francis Spitieri.
S1: Do you want to ask you why this character is so revered? Because, like you said, we are talking about an ex-con. An ex-junkie. But you recently told the Weekend Australian magazine that more than any other role, it's become the character that people still come up to me about almost on a daily basis. You said some people who approach you say they've seen it dozens of times. So why are people so drawn to him?
S2: Yeah, there's a guy that I met. He said that he's watched it probably about 50 times. Him and his wife. It's a really it's a really curious one. And if I put my thinking cap on to actually have a little think about it, I think it's because at his heart, he is a good man for all his flaws and idiosyncrasies and and faults and quirks, he's genuinely a good man. And he's also, as we find out in this film, he's also the least judgmental person you could ever wish to come across. Doesn't matter what religion you are, what the color of your skin, how much money you've got, what job you you do or don't do. He doesn't care. He's just going to treat you exactly as you come. And this film, essentially, if you ask me what it's about, it's about mateship. And at the end of the film, I think people leave the cinema not only feeling, you know, pretty happy and, you know, uplifted, but they I think they feel as though, wow, I'd really love to be a mate of Spitzer's. He's a genuinely good man, and he endears. Yeah. And he endears himself to to people. I think they. Yeah, they feel for him. Well, I.
S1: Really wanted to ask you about one scene in particular, which I think really is possibly the most endearing scene. And I mean, of course, this is a comedy. I have to be very clear to the listeners about that. But there was one scene in spit which absolutely made tears spring to my eyes. It's the scene in which spit visits his sister in hospital. She's in a bad way. She's also a member of a different outsider community. I'm going to leave it for the moviegoers to discover. But she is in a bad way. And just the way you, you know, the absolutely distraught, you know, the destitute look on your face. I'm just wondering if there was a particular person or experience or relationship that, that you drew upon to help you to elicit that feeling?
S2: Look, I suppose in short, the answer is yes, but I think it's a feeling, you know, not to give terribly much away about about the film, but it's, you know, it's grief. And we all, we all suffer that throughout our lives, you know. You know, that's part of being human. People are going to, you know, hideous things are going to happen to people. And some people, we all die. So it's not something that is unfamiliar to any of us. And yeah, it's it's it was something that I could easily access.
S1: But I did wonder if you are comfortable to give me any details of what you drew upon, because I was with both my parents when they died. And just your reaction was very it really rang true to me. And I just think that the way someone responds when someone is in a very bad way, is perhaps different in reality than you might think if you hadn't experienced it.
S2: Yeah, both my parents have have passed away. I got to see my mother just before she she passed away and and with my mother, when she was laying there, about to take her last breath, she was surrounded by her children. I'm the last of seven. And it was literally nearly her last breath when the screen sort of slid open and a lady put her head around the curtain and just asked what my mother might like to eat, whether it be the I think it was the chicken soup or something else. And I was like, oh my God, I couldn't script this any better. You can't. It was like, you know, comedy and tragedy in right at exactly the. Yeah, the same second. But in terms of, in terms of, you know, having we've all had hideous experiences happen to us. I remember years ago I got a phone call, a very good friend of mine, his partner was giving birth, and the child died as she was giving birth, and he asked me to come in and. And for want of a better word, help with the situation. And they wanted me to. I took footprints of that child. Um, so they had a record of her, you know. Their little child. I was the person who, um, dealt with the, the situation from then for the next few days. And it was. Yeah. And I never would have thought that I'd find myself in that situation. It was. Yeah, it was a very unique human experience.
S1: I guess just to bring it back to the film, I wanted to ask whether you agreed with the director, Jonathan Teplitzky, because he has said that he thinks spit is the kind of mythological character, an ordinary man doing his best that Australians like to believe they are. So does that ring true to you?
S2: Sort of. Yes. That's how Chris Knight, who's a very successful criminal lawyer on the Gold Coast, would also describe Johnny Spiteri, the little man trying to do his best. And he's got an interesting take as well on it. Being a criminal lawyer, he's the belief that everybody, everybody is a good person. It's only that along the way some people events may occur or things may happen which will alter them in such a way that they they go down another path. But he believes at their core, everybody is a good person, which is a fascinating way to to look at people in the world, really.
S1: Now, David, I really want to zoom out a little bit and ask you your take on why Australians broadly reveal underdogs so much, and in particular those with a criminal bent like John Spitieri. And just to give you a bit of context, I'm obsessed with this because I grew up in Canada. Yeah, I've lived here 27 years, but I grew up in Canada, and there we revered classic success stories, you know, hockey stars Jim Carrey, John Candy. And here, though, we've got Ned Kelly, you know, the Gallipoli soldiers who were slaughtered in what has to be one of Australia's worst losses, characters like Alan Bond, you know, a convicted criminal. I imagine he's less revered today.
S7: But his.
S2: Name is.
S7: Still on.
S1: A.
S7: University. Yeah.
S2: No, that's really weird, isn't it? Yeah. Money can buy anything, really, can't they?
S1: I'd love your take, because I've always been obsessed with it. To me, it's very unique about Australia. It is.
S2: It is odd. You know, we made the first the first feature length film in the world. No. 124 years ago.
S7: What was that?
S2: And it was the story of the Kelly Gang.
S7: See, there you go.
S2: There you go. The very first feature film in the world ever made. And it was about. Yeah. A gangster essentially. Exactly. And then we have, you know, chopper obviously did so well as well. Like. Yeah. Pretty hideous man, in all honesty. It is a fascinating one. And I've got to say, as I get older, I, I really question why we do actually Revere these characters. Yeah, we embrace them. Why we do it? I don't know, maybe it's because I don't know. Maybe it's it has to do with the way this country was settled or taken, you know, over 200 years ago. I don't know, but I think it's worth having a bit of a rethink about it, because you're right. I think we should celebrate, celebrate different forms of people. Yes. Yeah. We should celebrate. Yeah. Let's look to the light, I think. Yeah. And I think that's why spit. Yeah. He is. He's not, you know, he's an ex-junkie. Yeah. He's not a he's not a you know, he's not a sophisticated criminal at all. He's, you know, a bit of five finger discount here and there. And that's about the extent of it really. But he it's a it's an uplifting. It is um story. And it's, it's a, it's a unifying story. We had a lady in the audience the other night in Brisbane. And after the screening she said, I tell you at the end, at the end of the film, she said, I just wanted to hug the person next to me. Yes. Which is a pretty amazing thing.
S1: We'll be right back. Okay. So David, on this point of why we celebrate underdogs here, I did a bit of digging, so I interviewed.
S7: What did you find? Well, here.
S1: I interviewed your mate John Casimir. He was your producer on an ABC.
S7: TV series, the.
S1: ABC of. When you were in my position interviewing iconic Australians. And he told me that he he does think it's our penal colony background here that you know, that the heroes then were those who rebelled against authority because the authority was pretty awful. So do you think that's what he was saying?
S2: Well, that's a really interesting thing, because when we look at this film, Spiteri and yeah, there is a bit of anti-authoritarianism there or, you know, he is anti-authority he does sort of win against all odds, against the system in many ways. It's. Yeah. Look, I think I'd agree with John. I'd. Yeah, I'd have to because he's far brighter than I am.
S1: I want to ask you now about whether there's something in your own family background that perhaps plays into your history of playing outsiders or underdogs, because you have played a lot of them. You know, I'm thinking of Doug and Cozy. I'm thinking about, I mean, there's heaps of them. There's spit. There's even, I guess the Spartan you played in 300. I mean, they're all underdogs, right? Of various varieties and also Damian, Father Damian and Malachi. But because your parents were steeped in social justice, Catholicism, as I understand it, your father was a volunteer with Saint Vincent de Paul, I believe for 50 years. You've gone on to do your own volunteer work, you know, Wayside Chapel, Leprosy Mission Australia. So I'm just wondering whether you think that family background has something to do with what seems to me to be a great empathy for people who are perhaps forgotten by society, or certainly not celebrated.
S2: Well, yeah. Look, I'm certainly the product of my upbringing, and my parents have had a huge influence on on shaping the person of who I am. What my father did. Yeah, was truly remarkable. When I, when I look back on it, he. Yeah, he devoted so much of his life to selflessly, selflessly going out at night and basically dealing with, with, um, people who have, you know, far less privileged than we were. We weren't privileged, though. We were a very we were a working class family that didn't have terribly much money, but there were people far worse off than us. And my father. Yeah. Spent a lot of time trying to assist them as best he could. The underdog thing is really interesting, and I think that actually is an Australian characteristic as well. We do root for the underdog, and that is different to North American culture where you actually celebrate success. Totally. We don't. And we have, you know, something that is not exactly the most attractive part of our culture is, you know, the tall poppy syndrome. You don't want people to get, you know, too big for their boots. We just chop them down pretty quickly. But rooting for the underdog is yeah, it's a big one. I've got to say I do. If there's a sporting event that, you know, I just come come across, I will instinctively. Yeah. Root for, root for the underdog.
S1: And I did want to ask you about your mother, though. We've spoken about your father, but I was wondering whether your mother, Kathleen, was something of a direct line into feeling empathy for people who, you know, perhaps aren't lucky enough to be born into the circumstances to achieve their dreams. Because I did read that you once told our mastheads that she was, quote, an extraordinary woman who didn't really get the opportunities she deserved. She was born during World War one. She was bright. She could have gone to university, but that wasn't her lot in life back then.
S2: Yeah, my mother was. She was she was an extraordinary woman. Yeah. Seven kids. And now, you know, I've got two kids and I honestly can't work out how she actually did it. The time management that my mother put in place was just extraordinary. Not only did she, you know, she feed and clothe? Clothe us. But she made clothes for us all kids, all of us. She'd sew stuff every winter. All of us would get a hand-knitted jumper for the winter. Every winter when I had five sisters, four of them got married. She made all the wedding dresses. She made the bridal dress. I have to ask. She made all.
S7: A seamstress.
S2: Know which is something, a skill she had. It was like, you know, back in those days, you just did it all. And she made the wedding cake for each of them. Like, I just don't know how she'd manage the time.
S1: I thought. This other anecdote I have to ask you about, because I read that she also studied ancient Greek, and there was a time where you were at a butcher with your mother, and he was swearing in Greek, because this was in Marrickville, where you grew up in the inner west of Sydney, and a lot of people spoke Greek. And your mother spoke back to him in Greek, and he dropped the sausages on the sawdust.
S7: Yeah. He did.
S2: Yeah. Yeah. He was absolutely floored that. Yeah. Somebody of her age, Anglo-Saxon, was actually speaking Greek with him.
S7: Exactly.
S2: Yeah. She was amazing. And then she. Then later in life, she hadn't gone overseas. Neither of my parents had actually got on a plane until probably well after they were 60. And then. Yeah. Never. Yeah. Not not even on one plane. Not even domestically? Yes. Um, and then my mother took it up and she would go on these incredible adventures through an adult literacy group she went away with and, you know, followed female writers throughout.
S7: Um, so she got her opportunities.
S2: Yeah, she did, but it's like, in a way, you think, oh, my God, if she she was around these days, would the what she may have achieved other than, you know, she would loved being a mother and an incredible parent. But the opportunities in terms of other things for herself.
S7: Yeah.
S1: Well, I want to wrap up and it's a bit of a tack to lift because and I guess it does touch on empathy for others and compassion because there is one element of this film which is a very strong element, and we haven't touched on it yet. And it is of course, that spit ends up in a detention center. He's been away overseas. He's been on the run for 20 years, comes back to Australia with a false passport. He's in detention with people who you know. Refugees from countries where some of them, some of them, we learn, have had just horrific experiences, suffering and murder, that they have fled. And I was just wanting to find out if this is something that you felt strongly about. And, you know, perhaps they the forgotten underdogs in Australia that maybe we should turn our sights to.
S2: Oh, undoubtedly. That was the as I mentioned to you, the very first time I read the draft of this script, I thought the reason for bringing spit back was inspired. And it has to do with, um, with where he ends up as soon as he lands in, in Australia. And the idea for that came many years ago. Chris just couldn't understand the huge hullabaloo in this country about migration. He just thought it was. He just couldn't understand it. He said, look, he said, I'm a migrant. He said, we're all migrants or we're products of migrants. He just didn't get it. So he thought, thought about it for a while and he thought, I know I'll just drop Johnny Spiteri into the middle of this and see what comes from it. And that was the that was the impetus to, to to bring spit back. And as I mentioned before, we find out that Johnny's battery, for all his, you know, quirks and flaws, you find out that that guy is is the least judgmental person and he will take anybody just, you know, for who they are. And in the film, the characters who play, um, the refugees in the film, most of them are actually refugees themselves or they are the offspring of refugees. And we held like a casting session and we met these people who literally the session began with them basically telling us their stories, which were, as you can imagine, you know, some of them quite horrific. And then we just had them improvising with each other. Every person in that film who is a refugee loved the fact that this was a comedy, which is really, really interesting. That's interesting. They said for the first time ever, they said, look, they said it humanizes us. And they were annoyed, not annoyed. But they said previous depictions of us on screen were always painted with a very broad brush stroke and nearly often sometimes deified as well. And they said, that's not the case. They said, we are the same as everybody else. We just happen to be refugees. And they love the fact that, you know, some of us are really smart, some of us are intelligence, some of us aren't, some of us are absolute idiots. And it's like, and, you know, they fought about, you know, who was going to be the biggest idiot on the screen. And they loved that. And that's been one of the great joys of the of the of seeing audiences watch this film and laugh with them. There's no there's no punching down at all in this, this film. It's not it's, you know, and there's no political message in it. We haven't made a political film. It is a comedy that actually is a unifying thing that makes us celebrate the best of humanity.
S1: Well, I think I can speak for a lot of listeners when I say we're so grateful that you do take on these roles because they help us understand humanity better. Hopefully they enable people to have a bit more compassion. So thank you so much, David, for your time.
S2: I've loved talking with you. Thank you so much.
S1: Today's episode of The Morning Edition was produced by myself and Josh towers. Our executive producer is Tammy Mills. Tom McKendrick is our head of audio. The Morning Edition is a production of The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald. If you enjoy the show and want more of our journalism, subscribe to our newspapers today. It's the best way to support what we do. Search the age or Smh.com.au forward slash. Subscribe and sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter to receive a comprehensive summary of the day's most important news, analysis and insights in your inbox every day. Links are in the show. Notes. I'm Samantha Selinger. Morris. This is the morning edition. Thanks for listening.