Speaker 1: M hm, Hello world. In a song that was singing, come on, get.
Speaker 2: Happy, a whole lot of love, and it is what will be bringing, will make you happy.
Speaker 1: We are a dream.
Speaker 3: We don't traveling together and its metal and love and then we'll keep moving on.
Speaker 4: Something always happens when they.
Speaker 5: Have will win together and we get a happy feeling when.
Speaker 1: We're singing a song traveling alone. There's a song that was singing, come.
Speaker 2: On, get happy, a whole lot of love, and it's what will be bringing.
Speaker 1: We'll make you.
Speaker 2: Happy, will make you happy.
Speaker 6: Hello, everybody, good to be back here again. Simon Owen's in the chair for Tony McManus, who has sent messages through saying that it looks like all will be well and he will be back on deck tomorrow morning, twenty four hours from now. You'll have the beautiful voice of Tony McManus entertaining you through the morning. But until then you've got me and Simon Owens here. Hello, and Jay is here as well again. This morning morning, Jay.
Speaker 7: Morning, Simon j. You sounded like Tony mac.
Speaker 6: Just then I reckon, I'm all right with a bit of an impersonation, if I do say so myself.
Speaker 7: I like personating voices.
Speaker 6: Yeah, fun. Who's your favorite to do?
Speaker 7: I just like doing accents, you know, like the British accent, that sort of stuff.
Speaker 6: Oh, I would kill to be able to do accents. I'm not good at it, really, Yeah, and it destroys me because I'd love to be doing character, just creating characters in different accents.
Speaker 7: I drop into any accident anyhow now and then and people just look at me like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Why did you change that?
Speaker 6: For no reason? Exactly when you're at the doctors and all of a sudden you're Scottish.
Speaker 7: That's exactly right, change your voice and all that. But we'll speak your messages. Yes to you, Mac, your fingers cross. I plan to be back on deck Thursday and Friday morning. Excellent straight from the doctor's mouth. Yes, beautiful patient.
Speaker 6: But for the next five and a half hours, we're here on five double A, on six PR and on three A W and around the ACE Radio network. It's just delightful to have you on board, and we want your calls of course, one double three six nine three and as always, anything you want to chat about I haven't actually said in This is the fifth show I've done and I haven't yet said what I usually say, which is it's a genuine, unfiltered open line. All we ask is your name and suburb and were popular where there's no We don't need to know what you're going to talk about beforehand. That's why we have delay, just in case you go off the rails. We can dump yet and move on, but welcome to call any time you like on anything you like on one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. And the text line of course, for those who are in a little the shy side of not wanting to be on air and express yourself that way, you can also text as well. Zero four double seven six three six nine three. Rob has sent through a text straight away off the top, and it's the same text he sent through about eight times last night as well. Get better, tain y Mac. May you be back on the airwaves soon, expecting you to be sharper and more efficient than Melbourne's forward line on your return. I reckon if Melbourne one you might have bounced back sooner. Look forward to sharing the air with you discussing another topic. Thank you, Rob. That's the first time he's sent that this morning. We'll see how many times it comes through again. He's a good man, Rob, He's very good on the text. I've got do I third in now. I will just to throw something into the conversation. At the start, I get press releases from PA Media Jay and it's an English pr company. I have no idea how I managed to get on their email list. But they send through two stories every day that they think people might be interested in, and then you can buy the story. You can give them money and they will set you up with an interview with the people involved in the story. So I think it works as sort of an agency thing. If you've got an interesting story, you can get onto these guys. Then they try and make money out of the interview for.
Speaker 7: You, like sometimes subscriptions, Yeah this is my story, instead of subscription I gives yeah.
Speaker 6: So it's anyway. But I'm on their list and I'm just fascinated by this story. I haven't paid anyone any money because I'm not going to because this network doesn't work that way. We don't pay for radio interviews. But the title of it is Curry House forced to close after complaints over curry smell, it says, and the owners say, shutting the doors as a punch in the gut. A popular curry house has been forced to close after two decades in business following complaints about its smelling of curry. Cinnamon's Restaurant in Wheatley, Oxfordshire, has been operating for over twenty years when a complaint was made to South Oxfordshire District Council about the curry odors emanating from the restaurant. In twenty twenty one, Environmental health officers visited and upheld the complaint. The Bangladeshi restaurant said they spent around thirty five thousand pounds so that's over seventy grand Australian for a new extractor fan to combat the odor. However, another complaint was made and the curry house was served an abatement noticed which deemed Cinnamon's new ventilation system to be defective. Unable to afford the installation cost of a new system, which the restaurant claimed to be in the region of fifty thousand pounds, so well over one hundred thousand dollars, Cinnamons was taken to court and forced to pay twenty five thousand pounds in fines after pleading guilty In October twenty twenty four, despite the funds spent, the council issued a further abatement notice, and in May this year Cinnamons announced it could not afford the demands and would close in mid June. And this is the bit that really gets me. Making ten people unemployed. How can you complain about the smell of a curry house when you're going there to have a curry?
Speaker 7: So let me get this straight. Yep, if you go to a mechanic and you're overwhelmed by the smell of oil or just the fumes, you could sue them for the.
Speaker 6: Smell, the smell of yeah, the smell of oil.
Speaker 7: And basically putting its yeah yeah wow. So you go to the doctors and it makes you feel sick for making you feel sick. Yep, just with the smell.
Speaker 6: What are the businesses that have a set smell about and bad? Like if you're working in a sewage farm or anything, isn't it Yeah?
Speaker 7: No luck there?
Speaker 6: But I think of I think of people who have to go to the houses of hoarders and the like where you know, where things can be nasty on the odd occasion, you know, and the poor people there. But the thing that just makes me say, it's a restaurant. It's a little restaurant, Like there's a photo of it, and it's just it's just got little doors there and two people standing out the front. It's not it's not like it's not a McDonald's and you know, twenty four hours, keeping neighbors awake, that sort of thing. It's a little restaurant. It's a curry house. And the complaint is that it smells like curry.
Speaker 7: People are nasty. It's a privilege, you know, that self privilege. Well, you know, if it's if affecting me in some way, well yeh, i' go make someone pay for it.
Speaker 6: Now. I'm not completely unsympathetic to anyone who might live nearby who has the smell of curry wafting into their house. But I would also say the place has been there twenty years. Like if it just opened up last year and all of a sudden, all the people who already lived in the area are going, oh my god, it's twenty four hours a day. The place just thinks of curry. I can't stand it. Then I would be more sympathetic to the people there. But it's been there for twenty years, So I sort of go, when you moved in, you know.
Speaker 7: Did you about it?
Speaker 6: Did you do your due diligence in checking out the place anyway? But we don't know the circumstance. We don't know how long people have been living around it, or even if it's local residents. We don't know all of that because I didn't pay the money for the story. But I just saw that and thought, how sad an Indian restaurant, no Bangladeshi restaurant that sells curry in trouble because it smells like curry and they've spent all the money they can afford, are still not good enough closing down, and now ten people will lose their jobs.
Speaker 7: Let's say some people rally behind them and if there's any core costs or anything involved, that they can help them out.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I suppose if there's regular customers who really like the place and the good hopefully they'll jump on board and help them out. Hopefully they can relocate to another place. I don't know whatever the solutions are, but I just saw that, and it's one of those ones where I just go, it's just disappointed. It's just something about that that just is disappointing. Chris is in Brody Morning, Chris.
Speaker 8: Oh Simon, when you knock off any time of Fred, will you make sure you'd be nice when you go for that hungry drive through?
Speaker 9: Nice?
Speaker 8: Those drive through A systems have been very polite to them.
Speaker 6: I'm always beautifully polite. I've got kids who worked in fast food, so I know the troubles they have.
Speaker 8: You'll be talking to probably someone like wilworst past only is Mandy and I asked that coffee but she's actually not a girl or guy. If he's actually AI hug you act to trial and AI for the drive drive throw checkout?
Speaker 6: Are they that they come.
Speaker 8: The same news report after free means Australian's got pay rise, it's retaid workers and yet in contradicting that now and this is the suicide of it. You know, the businesses and companies are going to say, well, look the other usual thing for some most us, we'll get to pay rise some of who will be the pay rise gipt today, the job you don't know tomorrow and replaced by a right. Yeah, it's I know, there's it's not good for me for being display pets say that no one should ever ask for pay rise. But there are consequences and this AI is encouraged more consequences for business and companies because some companies may say, well, look, we can provide a really beautiful Australian product and we can move offshore to Singapore or Tilert and operate for paid workers two dollars out where. That's a lot of money and they have a respect for money. And a lot of people in those coaches don't want to ask for Paris because said they don't want to lose adult because if they're ninety years old, they've got no savors. They've got to keep working. But also I've got to got chat, not on w You know the Queensland former Queensland Opposition Liberal leader now premier, he said adult times for adult crimes. If I don't get on the legislation through in one hundred days, I'll resign as premier. He easily won the election. If I altdly just wake up this. They don't actually have an upper House. He's won the elect he's got the numbers in the legends of assembily don't have a house legency of canceled.
Speaker 6: No, they don't have only got the lower House in Queensland. Yes, to get.
Speaker 8: Asked without any opposition because there's no numbers against him in the upper House to make it law. What a clever ploy that was.
Speaker 6: That's so did he actually say if he can get it through?
Speaker 8: He said, if I don't get it through within one hundred days adult times a out our crimes and punishable things, I'll resign as Premier. But he's one of the elections. So they've got the numbers in the lower House and they only have a low house. They don't have enough house.
Speaker 6: Because yeah, there must be there must be something. We're a miss increase that has escaped both you and me.
Speaker 8: I explain this to the producer on Jackie Falgate show that look, obviously, I understand that they're trying to pump up to sit down line about this and that accommodation. But she can't make a captain's call because so she made a captain's call on hundreds of meters of dollars that no one can become whatever agreed with, and you're stuck with it. That'd be like the coats of corruption. She's got the numbers in the allegends of Assembly, but many times aren't necessarily saying the opposition, the main Liberal National Party College, but the Greens in Barbers. She has to sit down with them before she makes announcements and say and they have to ward it down because you know those goodie goodies and bar us and they say, well, we don't want young kids being tortured in presents, and we don't want to be on a lifetime a welfare or career criminals when they get out of jail. So she has to empty if she really wanted to eighteen months ago, even if you carried an off, you'd be putting the job. So it's not to Premier to Cintra or Premier Danuels and for it. And I'm not impartial because I did spend fourteen news and eight months across with in the LP so people could target. That's quite okay. It's sticking up with a bit like mates rates and all that, or saying all the good things. But I don't really want to change our democracy. But it Brad. Give credit to Brad Button if he gets if he wins your stats one thing, but if he doesn't have the numbers in the Upper House to make it more, we're stuck with a style maker and we get nowhere for the next four years.
Speaker 6: Of a fixed Well, that's that's always been the same for any party that's in power. Generally the opposition sort of hold the balance of power and the upper House is I think that's almost well, it's often the case. It's not always the case. There are other times where a party could push legislation through. But yeah, look, interesting chat, Thank you, Grist. I've got to move on. We've got to get to a break and we've got other calls ahead, and soon we've got Barry Erkhart coming up for a chat as well. Looking forward to that. Back in a minute. Lady Norma is in wa Hello, Lady Norma, how are you this morning?
Speaker 10: I'm I'm well, and I'm wondering. I have a question on my mind. Do all the men in Victoria have deep sixty voices like yours?
Speaker 6: Oh? That's very very kind. Indeed, I've got it. I caught a little head cold a couple of weeks ago, and I think my voice is a little bit raspier than normal.
Speaker 10: Is that what happened? Yes, I just well, it's not what happened. I don't know that I've heard you much before, but I often talked to Patty Panetta, and he hasn't been on the weekend.
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah, no, Pat's been on on the weekend.
Speaker 11: He Well, I must have missed that.
Speaker 10: Maybe I had it on the rotten part of the when I was done, Because half the time I don't know whether I'm I'm on this side of Western Australia or over the border.
Speaker 11: Or where I am.
Speaker 10: But you know what one thing you mentioned a while ago about somebody complaining about an Indian smell coming from a house where there's Indian people cooking.
Speaker 6: Well it was a restaurant, but yes, yes, well, I.
Speaker 12: Tell you what I love.
Speaker 10: The smell of Indian is.
Speaker 13: I don't like eating it.
Speaker 12: I love it.
Speaker 10: I walk up into our local shopping center. Oh where do I walk past that? You can't it hits you, It really doesn't. I always think, Oh, I wish I was going in there, but I don't want do because it might move my throat. But I love the smell of Indian food.
Speaker 6: Well, I reckon what you need, lady Norma is the buttered chicken. That's what I usually get because it's not got a lot of spice in it, and it's just a dish.
Speaker 10: Oh I know, And we do have a new area where I live now that we're getting all these people from recent states to come and live in wister Australia or other states in India and everywhere. And there is an Indian household. But you know, I've never smelt curry or spicy stuff coming from that house.
Speaker 14: I've never smelt it, so I don't know what they call it.
Speaker 10: But anyway, now I love it. But you know what I reckon is a lot of windes. There's so many people who've got to have something to wind about.
Speaker 6: Well. You know, I was talking to a friend about this the other day, and there are some people who need drama in their life because it almost like it gives them a purpose, something to fight against, something to fight for. They need to have a purpose otherwise they could feel quite empty neglected. Yeah, and I'm not saying that in any sort of bad way. It's just that I think some people's personality types are they've got to they've got to have something to fight for something. I want to improve this.
Speaker 10: They should go into politics, shouldn't they.
Speaker 6: Well I don't think so, because it didn't never get anything done as a politician. I think politicians go into politics for the right reason. Then they all get caught up in the party system and nothing ever gets achieved.
Speaker 10: Anyway, good to talk to you and mister the Sunny A little pot. Sorry now, I was going to say, I have said a picture of you and you've got the little hat you were that's it, yes, on top of the head. And a friend of mine was just telling me how she threw it a pot, a very famous type of pot many years ago at her husband and he said to her, do you know how?
Speaker 6: Oh, we've just we've just lost your lady Norma. We got do you know how? And then the lines dropped out, No, go on, never mind. Well, thank you lady Normal for the call. Sorry we didn't get to hear the end of that, but but we do appreciate your chat. James is in Adelaide, Hi, James made good things.
Speaker 15: I think. My friend of mine she asked me, you keep talking about music on radio. What's the story? And I said, well, music is what gives me pleasure, And I said, you know it's it's a big part of my life, mate. I don't you know, I can't remember. I don't think I've ever lived a day in my life without music, even from a baby, you know, with the parents playing music. So yeah, it's just I just love music.
Speaker 6: Music. Music is something we all, I think, need and want in our lives. And there's no borders on music when it comes when it comes to that need and want and love of it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, you know, I keep telling him, I'm true. I'm chilled the time.
Speaker 16: Yeah, which is good for good you know.
Speaker 15: So and you know what I'm going to talk about. You can put your house on this one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what did you want to chat about?
Speaker 17: No, I'm saying you know you talk.
Speaker 15: About yeah, music, music, Yeah, yeah, it's like Freddy Fender of Freddy Fender's birthday today, American singer.
Speaker 6: Right, Yes it is.
Speaker 15: Do you remember the songs Wasted Day and Wasted Night was.
Speaker 6: Yeah, great song.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and before the Next Tear Drops Fall, And I've got a lot of quite a few other ones that that I love. And just a bit of trivia about him back in nineteen seventy five, I find this a sonis what the word is?
Speaker 10: Not?
Speaker 15: Astonishing? I can't think of the word at the moment. He had Jukepik Awards in nineteen seventy five. He got it was awarded the Artist of the year and record of the year if for having the highest and songs played on jukebox machines in the United States.
Speaker 18: Incredible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a pretty good effort.
Speaker 15: You know, considering all the good singers back in nineteen seventy five. I say, yeah, good on.
Speaker 6: Him, mate, Yeah, that's a great efforcent.
Speaker 15: Where Yeah, those classic those those two songs are classics.
Speaker 6: Yeah. He passed away about twenty years ago thereabouts, I think, but I actually had him on my rundown because I have a little list of topics to bring up if the calls get a bit quiet, and I've written on my rundown Freddie Fender songs in two languages as a talkback topic, which i'll which we'll do later. I'll aast for calls on it, because before the next tear Dropped Falls was in English and I'm not sure what the other language was actually, to be honest, Yeah, Spanish.
Speaker 15: Wasted days. Yeah that wasted days and waste the nights reminded me or all of my love life.
Speaker 16: Yeah, unlucky in love, unlucky in love.
Speaker 6: How sad but also funny.
Speaker 15: Yeah, And before I go with that, so i'man there was a lady on the news that I saw on chune I in Adelaide, and they were talking about the seventy million dollars a terrible I was like, I don't gamble, is it?
Speaker 6: Oh? Yeah, I don't do them either, so I don't know.
Speaker 15: Anyway I was talking about. You know, they were interviewing people, you know what they do with the win. Lady said the best thing I'd say, exactly the same thing. And you'll find this proppery heard done to you know, to understand. But I'm talking the truth. She said, I'm happy the way I am without seventy million. That's good, and that's exactly what I and that's what I am. You know, my life doesn't revolve around money. I mean, I've got a you know, I'm not struggling, and I'm not a millionaire yep. But my life doesn't revolve around that word cream. And you know what friends stands for. No, this is a ROBERTA. Williams one. She Mason T shirts many many years ago. Cash rules everything around me.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, do you remember that? No? No, don't remember that at all, but it's yeah, it's good. I Look, I've got to move on, James, because we've got to get to Barry after the break here, which we've got to get to now. But I'd love that idea that you know I'm happy without the seventy million dollars. I tend to agree with that. I'm happy without the seventy million dollars, but I must admit it would bring a smile to my face if it was given to me. I can't deny that either. Get on you, James. Always a pleasure to chat when I'm filling in for Tony. Good to chat to you. We'll do it again soon. I hope we do need to break though. Barry Erkhart up after this. It is twenty four minutes to one on three AW, on five double A at six after midnight and on six PR it's what is it? It's twenty four minutes to eleven. Yes, sorry, it takes me a little while to get focused on those time calls when I'm getting this show underway. But it's time now to have a chat to Barry Erkhart. Barry Erkhart is an internationally international I can't talk this morning either internationally recognized and respected conference keynote speaker, workshop facilitator, business strategist, and consumer behavior analyst. You must also Barry be, the owner of the world's largest business card.
Speaker 17: To have all that written on it, Well, I hope it's the explanatory enough, because with that sort of introduction, it will take me some time to explain exactly what it is I do and what experience I've gained over the years.
Speaker 6: Ah, and what is it exactly you do?
Speaker 19: Is?
Speaker 6: The answer for me is as little as possible.
Speaker 17: Well, absolutely, I think that therein lies the answer.
Speaker 16: Though.
Speaker 17: We're a market research and strategic planning practice, and so I go out and I research the questions not of what people are doing, how they're doing it, but more fundamentally for the advantages of businesses, talking about the why question, why is it that people do? So when a lot of people talk about research, they want statistics. Fifty four percent of people did this, seventy eight percent of people will do that. Well, that's very interesting in and of itself, but really that's not going to determine anything because the fundamental thing is but why do they do that?
Speaker 6: Yes? Yes, interesting. Now, so this morning you wanted to chat about customer recommendations. I love this as a topic.
Speaker 17: Yeah, well, I think that it's a real myth that's been a long, long standing sort of premise that when you say to people, how's business go all fantastic and what do you put it down to?
Speaker 20: Oh?
Speaker 17: No, eighty percent of my business comes from recommendations and referrals. And yeah, I've heard that for a long period of time. But when you actually probe the question, that's not the case. Because you can ask a person Simon, would you recommend darry Yurker to pre a servitate or address a conference?
Speaker 21: Oh?
Speaker 17: Absolutely. But then you say, well, okay, you said that, how many people actually do it? Because there's an innate reluctance to actually go out there, put your buying a proverbial on the line and say I'm going to recommend Simon or I'm going to recommend Barry because it's the sort of thing where relationships can be fractured because based on that recommendation, someone else uses you and it doesn't work out. Therefore, the person during the presentation and sub performing isn't having the finger pointed at them. They go back to you and say, well, hold on, you recommended this guy and he was unbelievably disasterul.
Speaker 6: It is really interesting to hear you say that because I was listening to another radio announcer, Lucy and Kell, who do a show on another station, and they would Lucy, they happened to be husband and wife, and Lucy was saying that her husband Kel never ever recommends anything to anyone, and be it a movie, he's seen, a book, he's read, a restaurant he's eatnt he never recommends it. He never will come into work and say, hey, guys, I went here last night. You've really got to try it. And she probed him on air about why don't you ever recommend anything? And he said, because if people don't like it, then I won't respect me exactly.
Speaker 17: And that's a long lasting sort of a scenario, and the cascading effects of that sort of thing are quite quite profound. I would always say, all right, by all means, go out and not ask for recommendations, ask for an introduction. Were you happy with that? You're happy with that's fine. Is there anyone that you could actually affect an introduction for me? I don't need for you to recommend me, just to facilitate the introduction. So that and I would never recommend anyone to anyone, because simply I said, look, seventy to eighty percent of the success in business is about the chemistry and the relationship. Does the chemistry click. I'm more than happy to facilitate to say this person is good, he's she or they have all this experience. This is what they do, this is how they do it. It may be of interest to you if you are interested. Here is his, her or their phone number or email address. Make contact. The chemistry fits, that's the way for it to be affected.
Speaker 6: And that's very good too. Yes, because you're you're not actually saying you know you must do this because I've had a good experience. You're saying I've had a good experience. If you'd like, if you'd like an introduction, I can help you. It's it's a subtle difference, but it's a it's an important difference.
Speaker 17: I think well, I think that it's all about integrity and transparency. I can hand on heart say to you, over my extended career in business, I have never taken properation for you. I've never taken a kickbacker. I've never taken a gratuity because the whole barrow. You know, is there anyone that you can help us get some business? You know, We're more than happy to say ten percent fifteen percent and give it to you. I said, no, no, no, I never want to be compromised on that type of situation. I will do the introduction because I think the two of you would work together very very well, but it's going to be determined by you. You're going to take the risk. Therefore, there was absolutely no inage recognition or justification for me to be paid any population fee at all. So over the years I've always been able to see very sound at night knowing full well that I have never been compromised on the drive of well, there's going to be some money in it for me and people I've understood that over the years that they kind of say, no, that's a credible introduction, and I can take that and I will make the decision and take responsibility and enjoy the rewards of the subsequent and consequential relationship development.
Speaker 6: Now, Barry, what are your thoughts on Google reviews? And I asked this because a little story of something that happened to me when I holiday. I holiday a place called Balnarring Caravan Park. Family have a little spot down there, and there was a pizza shop that was about a fifteen minute drive away, and I got a pizza from there and it was an incredibly good pizza to my tastes. And so they asked when I was at the pizza shop, they had a little thing They're saying Google reviews. Can you, if you enjoy our product, please post a Google review. So I did a Google review and said five stars, this pizza was magnificent, the taste was fantastic, the crust blub I went into great detail about why I thought the pizza was great. About six seven months later, I got a little notification from Google saying your review has been viewed twenty thousand times, and I thought, well, that's magnificent, what a great favor I've done for the company. So when I went down the following year to the caravan park again, I thought, oh, I'm going to get another one of those fabulous pizzas the place had shut down.
Speaker 17: And therefore, the question is you have put your personal integrity on the line and it comes back to personal recommendations. You know one of the things that you did. MA ask me will Bury, what have you done over the years, I've written the two largest summing books in Australasia on customer service. Everyone toime, I know we wonderful small businesses in particular, Oh, we can be the big guys because we give customer service. Well, the problem is that a lot of Australians are now saying the one thing that is lacking in customer service, particularly with the introduction and intrusion of artificial intelligence, is one word personal. And so what you've got to do is to say yes by all means in race it innovation, creativity and that sort of thing. Yes, but you make sure that that actually complements it doesn't replace humanity. Today the biggest factor in customer service, and there's fourteen steps of customer satisfaction. The first three relate to getting access and communication with the organization when there's an artificial intrusion of technology coming in and say your calls are important to us, or you know, push what age all people want, even young people who used to be on Twitter and Facebook. And that's so I just want to have access or a default recognition that I need to speak to a human being sometime, because it's not the sort of thing where someone who is a computer nerd can say I know all the answers and here are the five options. Well, if there's five options, that you're offering. The one thing that a nerd doesn't do, particularly when they're very good at communicating with technology or algorithms, is personal contact. One of the great problems in pizza shops, in particular coffee rounces would be another example is young people interesting in love have lost the art of eye contact. Now just imagine that when and I walked into a coffee alunce today and I said, Hillo, Maria, how are you? And she said, Barry, You're the only person who ever comes in and treats me by name. And people say to me continuously, Barry, why is it? Did you get good customer service? The first thing that I do, if I'm going to go back and have the relationship, no matter how tenuous or this diand it is, is to find out the name of the person, because the one thing that will register most of all is when you recognize them by name. Immediately they stand up cloud they're recognized. There's not this lack of eye contact. I always appreciate. At the end of the risking of the coffee, I pick up my empty cup, I pick up the little tray that's got the under the number, I take it back to the count and say thank you very much there. Well, there's no need for you to do that, absolutely right, there was no need for me to do it. But I am most grateful for the service you provided. And what effort did it take me to take that empty cup with that little sign that says seventy eight because I owned my table number and give it back to you. There are some simple things about recommendations, referrals, social contacts, but above all else, when it comes down to customer service, the thing that wins it every time is one word personal.
Speaker 6: Isn't that lovely? Yes, I had an incident the other day. I have a car that needs some repairs done to it, and I booked a company to come out and do a repair and they told me it was a one hour job and will be there on Thursday. Will book you in for Thursday. And I knew I was going to be home all day Thursday, so I didn't bother negotiating a time because I had no plans to leave my house for the whole day Thursday. By five thirty pm, they still hadn't arrived. I did ring them to say that I was going to be going out for dinner because I just assumed they'd be there in business hours and that it would all be over. So I did ring them at two o'clock and they said, oh, yes, we'll be there at four, and by five point thirty they still hadn't arrived. So I just left the house and went out for dinner. They rang me about fifteen minutes later and said, look, not going to get there today. I can be there at seven o'clock tomorrow morning. I'm sorry about this, but I'll be there at seven o'clock tomorrow morning. And I thought, well, that works well for me. I'll be doing the overnight thing. I'll get home at six, I'll be up at seven. I can cope with that nicely. He seven o'clock came, no sign of him. I texted him. He replied at about seven twenty and said, yes, on my way. I'll be there at eight thirty. And he finally got there at nine and there was no sorry. I lte sorry about yesterday. He came in, did the job, did it quickly, did an excellent job. I can't fault the work that he did. But I had worked all through the night hosting this program. Got home at six am. He has said he was going to be there at seven, so I stayed up. I was still up at nine when he arrived and finally got to bed at ten. And even though the job he did was magnificent, there is no way in hell I would recommend that company to anyone.
Speaker 17: More particularly, you would not say that that was good value. One thing that people have got to recognize is and there's always this sensitively with the cost of living crisis that we've got, Well, everyone's looking for the specials. It was only yesterday the toll said they're going to have three hundred and seven products they had discounted to an average price of nineteen percent days of effective from today in Melbourne timing. Hold on, guys, that's all rubbish. All that we want really is we don't want one hundred and seven specials. We want you know, there's twenty four thousand products out there. I want control and access, so that if you gave me one promise that you keep doing in your advertising and what has made Walmart the biggest and most successful retail group in the world, don't be selective on what you offer. Just say that. When Walmart says Simon, when you're ready to buy, no matter what you want to buy, and asy Haliberut Walmart, you will get and here comes to quote every day lower prices. It means that with that seven day petrol cycle and you kind of buy the petrol on Wednesday because you're missed out getting cheap ass tuesdays discounted prices, and you're now paying seventeen terms of leave. The more you are aggrieved and upsets. And that's sort of what is the difference. I wanted everyday lower prices. And so what we've got recognized in customer services one price is consistently the fourth most important thing. And look, with the economic circumstances, it's probably migrated to about the third most important thing. But today value and this is what value was all about. Value was really built up on modules of time. If you say, and this is what happens all the time, Oh well yes, okay, so we'll get this and you put something in and you're get an electrician or a plumber and they say, look, we'll be there as soon as possible. Well, can I tell you right now if you've phoned a plumber at three o'clock in the morning because you're tought it's overflowing, and I say, yeah, we'll get there as soon as possible. No, that's not good enough. Be specific. Recognize that it's modules of time, and if you can't meet those times, so they you know, advise them in advance to let them make sometingency plans. But what we need to do is to take a better sense of what is value. And I've just written an article I get syndicated by forty nine trade and industry magazines around the world, and someone put to me, Barry, what is value? And I said, well, and this is the critical issue, and that you know, this is one time that you can look and say you are important in this equation. If you want to be valued, you've got to offer value. Think about that. It's not about price. It's not about saying, hold on, I'll be there at four o'clock and then five point thirty or seven o'clock next morning. What value is about is a peace of mind purchasing. When I makes the phone call and they say they're going to be there at five o'clock, they should be there every time. Because Macy's the big department store in America. They had and we all always hear the criticism about Tony Abbott, you know, with the three word policy, stop the boats one. It's easy to understand too, It's quantifiable and people could remember it. All that macy said is satisfaction guaranteed, period three words, compellingly, attractive. And that's the personal commitment that was committed and delegated so that everyone at the front line within Macy's had that authority to ensure that there was customer satisfaction guaranteed, even to the extent of replacing the products without referring it to a manager.
Speaker 6: Amazing, Carrier Card, It's been delightful chatting to you. I've kept you far too long. We are well overdue for a break. It's been marvelous chatting to you. I look forward, well, I don't look forward to the next time Tony's ill, but I look forward to the next time I happen to be on and we get to speak again. Barrier Carter, thank you. Let's have a chat to Rob in Melbourne high Rob. Yeah, good things. Thanks for hanging on.
Speaker 22: No, yeah, you're talking earlier about the apartments, complaining about the curry smell.
Speaker 23: Yeah.
Speaker 22: I've had a similar interesting one where I lived in Queensland, in the suburb of Cleveland. I leave stones throw from an area called Raby Bay, and there was a marina and restaurants, and there were apartments above the restaurants. But in that case, it wasn't an smell. It was the noise.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 22: And then and it actually made the news, and it wasn't for the noise complaint it whoever built the apartments. Concrete started crumpling on where the floor met the window, so you can actually be shown on the news. You can actually put your hand in underneath and touch the window on the outside cot and then and then the same mob was contracted to attach a gantry into one of the bridges on the river.
Speaker 9: The door works.
Speaker 22: They've drilled straight into the pylon and straight into the still reinforcement in the concrete. So I don't ever know what happened to that, but yeah.
Speaker 6: Wow, what a shock of a story that is. That is awful. Thanks Rob, Wow. If anyone knows more, I'd love to hear the outcome of it. Appreciate the call. Rob, We've got sorry to cut you short. We've got to get to another break. That's what I took way too long with Barry Back in a sec Well, Gabe is in the newsroom ready to bring you up to date with everything that's going on around this fabulous country and indeed the globe on the other side. Back to your calls. We had a board full of calls before some of you had hung up, understandably so because it took us a while to get to the calls. Strike back to them after the news. If you want to ring.
Speaker 24: Back now, this is a stranger open eyes with Simon Owen's.
Speaker 1: Way. Last night, you couldn't come A fire is such a shape.
Speaker 2: I never thought we were soon.
Speaker 20: Worn't so good?
Speaker 5: I've had enough Another it wasn't mu China.
Speaker 3: Can come?
Speaker 5: We cannot play?
Speaker 1: Stay come to.
Speaker 6: An another great song from the playlist of Jay.
Speaker 23: If You leave Me?
Speaker 6: Can I come to Middle as anything? Wasn't it the sort of early eighties I would reckon?
Speaker 7: Let's look looking at that one. It is eighty four three Master one from twenty fifteen, but I'm pretty sure the eighties.
Speaker 6: Late eighties, Yeah, late eighties, Okay, let's think eighties four year or no, yeah, maybe later? It was after live it Up, I think, wasn't I don't know. I'm talking out of my hat now. One double three six nine three is the number that you can call us on. Another number would be one double three eighty two if you're calling from Perth. But if you're in either of those numbers, you should get through them out of where you're calling from. And we'd love to take your calls. Caliphone, your ray is calling, get I Caliphoni your RAYE.
Speaker 25: Good evening, Simon and listeners. I only come on air your station maybe two or three times a year, but if I can give some constructive feedback, not criticism, but feedback, I'm sure other listeners tonight or in the morning feel similar to I do to wait, have to wait forty minutes that I have to get back on air. I think it would be more respectful to have a limit that you allow callers to speak, because it just gets out of hand and I just not only do I get hung up on by your previous presenter that's normally on. I don't think he likes my accent, but you know, it's just you know, giving everyone equal time and not some longer than others. And I'm sure that there are a lot of listeners out there that feel the same way. Now as far as Billy Joel goes.
Speaker 6: Well, just before we move on to Billy Joel, and don't worry, won't cut your short. We have a chat about Billy Joel. I'll just say, in the instance of tonight, though, California, so I'm just filling in for Tony. But Tony has that spot with Barry Urkhart, which is a commitment that is made for the program. So I'm not really in a position to just fling that and just go with calls, which is what I normally do. I normally just do calls after calls after calls. So in the instance of tonight, yeah, it's unfortunately you've had to hang on that long, But generally I'd say with me, the longest wait time would probably be about twenty twenty five minutes. And it all comes down to we've got ten lines, So if ten people all happen to ring through at the same time, the tenth person, even if they've rung one minute after the first person, they're going to have quite a long wait as opposed to the person who gets through first. So it's a bit of a gamble, and we do try and when we do see that there's a lot of calls, we do try and speed through them a little bit faster, but sometimes some have a lot to say, and others don't have much. But it look at a balancing act. And I'll be the first to say, ray, we don't always get it right. So I apologize that you've had to hang on so long tonight. But yeah, let's get on to Billy Joel.
Speaker 25: I refuse to out of principles, refuse to be on the internet. And I only have a dumb phone. I don't use a smartphone. I I just heard on the radio the other night that he has some sickness and he's not singing at the moment. So I was wondering if you could give us the later scoop on what's happening with Billy Joel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he had a fall a couple of weeks ago on stage, but then there was then there was a diagnosis that followed that, and I think it was hydrocephalus that he was that he's suffering from normal pressure hydrocephalus. Here we go, he's announced that that's what he's suffering from. I don't exactly know what that is, but it says here that it can affect concentration, memory, and movement. So at the moment, he's had to cancel some concerts, so he hasn't stopped singing exactly, but he has had to cancel some shows whilst, you know, whilst he and his medical team look at what this effectively means for him.
Speaker 25: Okay, I know I've been told that there's at least twelve different types of dementia. Do you know if that's a type of dementia.
Speaker 6: I can't see dementia mentioned in the stories that we've got here that we're coming through at the moment. It is described as a brain disorder and it can affect brain related abilities, but I don't think it's related. Yeah, I'm not a medical person, but just from a quick glance, it doesn't look like it's specifically related to dementia. It's just it's something else that also affects the brain.
Speaker 25: Okay, because the other night it was advertised that here in Australia they know have a pill for dementia. And the catch twenty two is it only costs four hundred and seventy dollars per week, so you have to be quite wealthy to afford it. So that's always the catch twenty two with things current latest discoveries and whether it goes on PBS in a century or two, we don't know well exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the government need to approve funding for that sort of thing to happen. But I hadn't heard, like there's no sort of cure for dementia. But any development is always a good development when they come up with something that can help prolong it, to prolong the effects or put off the effises. Well, I think what I'm trying to say, yeah, but it only prolongs.
Speaker 25: It only prolongs. But for a lot of people, three or four years is a long time they have their life prolonged. But I just wanted to share that to the listeners because I think communicating and talking is an addiction, just like mobile phones. Yes, and I've found that communications the greatest skill on the planet.
Speaker 6: Just what it is, it is, absolutely communication. It counters loneliness, which I think is a big, big problem in the world today. You can sit there and look at your phone and look at everybody else's social lives and stuff, but what you're seeing is a false representation of all of that side of their lives. I love what you've got their rate, no internet and no smartphone. I think you're probably in a much better off place than most of.
Speaker 25: Us, and my last thing I'll do is like I was referring to the listeners just a few minutes ago, that listening for me is the most important skill on the planet, and it's the hardest skill to truly listen.
Speaker 23: To each other.
Speaker 26: Yes, yes, so it was an NHS plane ahnesty, such a lonely word. That's what I need the most from you.
Speaker 6: It's a beautiful song of Billy Joels. If I don't play a lot of music, because again that makes that leaves people hanging on even longer to get on air. But if we do get a chance, if the calls dry up a bit later, California Ray, but that'll be first song we'll play for you, Okay.
Speaker 25: And makes listeners for putting up with me.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, it's a pleasure. It's lovely to chat to you. And again I apologize for the long wait. But now I'm going to move you on California A because IVE got other calls. I've got to get to love you, sir. Thank you, mate, Take care of have a lovely morning or evening. Still in perthy, Brian is in Richmond.
Speaker 11: Hi, Brian, Hi, Simon, I urge you one night talk about it. You like your hot chocolate.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was one hot chock. Gen. I don't bother with hot chocolate, but there was one that I got at a basketball stadium once that was magnificent.
Speaker 11: Well, I found another good place for fire down in Swan Straight, Richmond.
Speaker 27: Yeah.
Speaker 11: You got to go inside and have it out of the cup, and it's absolutely magnificent. It's opened around to a lot of different coverage shops, but there's number one inside. The toll for them would absolutely spotless. And he opens at six am in the mornings.
Speaker 6: Oh. I could almost get to get one going home after the show.
Speaker 11: As you come down Swan Street, so last cookie shop on your right hand side before before Church Street.
Speaker 6: Okay, last on the left hand side before Church Street?
Speaker 11: Is it as you come out from the city, the right.
Speaker 6: Hand side, yeah, right handside.
Speaker 11: Come on, let me to join you where.
Speaker 6: It is that look. As much as that would be lovely, I do go straight home. I wouldn't be having a hot chocolate on my way home from work. And I'm not often in Richmond. But my daughter works in Richmond, so I'm giving a driving lesson. So if I'm dropping her off at work during a driving lesson, I will make a note of dropping in there. If you're recommending a good hot chocolate, I reckon it's worth a try.
Speaker 11: And their coffees, boy, I don't track coffee, but I took a lady there for coffee and she loved it that much. She pinched up but on the packet with some sort of particular coffee that they made. You finished up on the packet, took her home with her.
Speaker 6: Yeah, now I can understand how that happens. If you find one that you like, get onto it.
Speaker 11: And keep it coming up from the city the last to fish up on your idea and word and give them just let them know.
Speaker 23: What the copy was.
Speaker 11: So the hot chocolate I want to recommend, I want to hear what's the result? How what you thought of it?
Speaker 6: No worries? All right, if I make it there, I'll let you know. Get on your brain. Thanks thanks mate, cheers. Leo is on the road. Hey Leo, could I.
Speaker 13: I'm in mom Florenci at the moment. Yes, I've got to pick up soon and alpham to go to the airport.
Speaker 23: So I'm in the area.
Speaker 13: It's been.
Speaker 6: That's a good trip.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's it's been. I've been polling day back and forth, back and forth. So it's finally got to where I have to be. It takes a while, but anywhay, I'll get there. The best hot chocolatever had was actually in on a mountain resort in Italy about ten years ago.
Speaker 6: A mountain resort in Italy for the best hot chocolate ever. That sounds pretty good.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 13: It was a machine that was heat, constantly heated, and constantly stirring, and it was unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Like the chocolate fountains exactly. Oh yes, and what they just splash a bit of milk in, a bit of warm milk in with the with the fountain of chocolate, and off you go. That sounds good.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I mean we look.
Speaker 13: Australian food is great, but there's a lot of things that I think the Europeans do still a lot better. I mean, their tomatoes and most of their fresh fruit is fantastic, only I think because everything there is in season and nothing else. You can never get asparagus out of season, or tomatoes or apples out of season. You have to have them in season only. Yeah, and that's what I found when I was there last year. And like the tomatoes, their taste, look our tomatoes in Melbourne, for example, or Victoria are about ten percent the taste of theirs. The Queensland ones about twenty percent much better, but they have more sunshine. And but that's I still dream of that. They're tomatoes and the cheese. I've got some bree, just a standard which all president, which I find in any supermarket. Talking and I was staying put on bread and when I put into what my knees went to water and you get the same stuff here. But what they do they make it there, They then freeze it, put it on the ship and then three months later they defrosted, put the huge by on it, and they sell it three times a bride.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's just it's no good. You can't do that.
Speaker 23: That's just right, No in of the taste.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do love a nice bree. There's a triple cream bree that they sell at Aldi, which is nice and cheap, but it's actually I really enjoy it and the best thing ever to have with bree barbecue shapes. Really, I have no class whatsoever. Happy to admit that. Say, it's a very bogan sort of thing to do. You break out the wheel of breed cheese and you crack a bag of Barbie shapes and mix the two together and it's heavenly to me.
Speaker 13: I'll have to try it, definitely have to try it. I mean they look at something like a good cheese. But one thing though, our meat is better than the European meats.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I'm pretty happy with the steaks and stuff. I get here eight dollars for a steak from Woolworths and wrack a bit of lemon pepper on it and just chuck it in the frying pan. It's one of my favorite meals of all time.
Speaker 13: Yeah, same here.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 13: I mean I'm just a straight pepper and that. Or I've actually started using the air fryer to cook out my meat, especially the pork. It does make a difference. You have to remember that after you set it for about fifteen minutes twenty months or whatever is I think fifteen months, then you about halfway through you have to turn it. Yep, it comes out quite good.
Speaker 6: Okay. I tend to think that. So I would worry that all that air, because an air fryer circulates hot air, I would have thought that that would dry it out.
Speaker 17: It doesn't.
Speaker 13: It comes out nice in duty the way I do what I always put a layer of which I thing of what I think aluminum foil under it. Yes, so it doesn't get dirty, but I mean and I think that probably holds the And also do my sausages in there nowadays?
Speaker 6: Okay, I've not tried sausages in the air frier. I do dim simms in the air fry.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, yeah, you just I've done that before.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, literally chuck of in fifteen minutes and they're done. It's a two hundred degrees. It's done, easy done.
Speaker 26: Yeah.
Speaker 13: The best we call it sausages you can buy anywhere are the honey ones from me? The cars are wor worse Okay, yeah, yeah, they've got honey in them and they are by father best of river tasted.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, now that you've got me hungry, sorry, I'll let you go and I'll stand here and start for the next four hours before I go home. Thanks. Thanks for the call, mate, I appreciate it is Leo on the road. Jim, Maggie and Vern are all on hold, ready to go one double three six ninety three. We haven't really got a topic as such going, but whatever you want to chat about, feel free to ring in and we'll throw something else in later on back soon. Jim has called from west Footscray.
Speaker 9: Hi Jim, good morning, Biman day. Good morning to Tony if he's listening, hopefully is feeling better. And you said you'll be on Thursday. But also i'd like to say, because Jay won't be working on Thursday, I'd like to say happy birthday to Jay. I know how old is going to be. He's mentioned it on the radio before, but just in case he doesn't want to mention it again, I'll just say happy birthday to Jay again since he won't be working.
Speaker 6: Yeah, J's aka with turning forty seven. It's a he's very happy with that.
Speaker 9: Oh, very good. Anyway, do you remember, Simon, I told you many years ago taping rage was my hobby, hobby and I made many tapes and everything. Yes, well, well you're aware the rage comes to us from Sydney, are you.
Speaker 6: I've never actually stopped to think about it, but that would make sense.
Speaker 9: Yes, it comes to us from Sydney. Every public holiday they put retro music as well as current music, and that they have a section called Vault where they have Australian artists and bands and overseas, England and America with music from the vault before a lot of artists were known, and music that has never been heard before, and that they have the vault section but also have a countdown section as well. But years ago when I used to finish, I used to have the producers his name, And now there's a producer named Georgia that I got to make friends with that I used to ring in Sydney because I think she was a producer and a director. I don't know if they can still do her. They used to have a request line and I used to ring her up. And I found a video the other day with a DT that I had requested from me and Clara and it said requested by Jim and Clara on the screen from Melbourne Victoria westwards Gray and I found another one from the sleet and I just remembered I have more of them. I forgot all about it. I don't know if they still do that, but ever every weekend when whenever it's a public holiday, they put a lot of retro music and that simon, well.
Speaker 6: That's I don't watch rage, I must admit one. I'm not usually sort of well, I just don't watch Telly as a general I was going to say general rule, but that's wrong. I don't have a lot of opportunity to actually just sit and watch Tally. And I've always found rage most of the music is music I don't know, so I would love I would love to have a video clip type show like they used to have with MTV and there was the Vmax channel on Foxtel when Nona had Foxtail next door. I used to go in and watch that, yeah, where you know every song. I think a music TV channel where you knew all the music, where it was basically the top forty hits over the past fifty years. It'd be fantastic to have something like that. Rage is just a little bit too out there for me.
Speaker 9: Yeah, But Simon, like I said, every public holiday they always have a gigantic retro section, including Countdown with Molly Meldron, and they have all the songs you'ld know the every public holiday they make sure there's a gigantic section of Countdown. You'll definitely know whole heap of songs because as well as current. But they do it all the time. People that what range will tell you, and I had something else to tell you, but I forgot again.
Speaker 6: That's all right.
Speaker 9: Are you still going to do the songs later with English and other languages?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll throw that open when we run out of calls. I'll check it in as a topic a bit later on, possibly after four or maybe after two. We'll just see. No, we've got Rick Mill next, now, haven't we. Yeah, so we'll get to it at some point, I hope.
Speaker 9: Okay, thank you, Simon. If I'm awake, I'll ring back lovely.
Speaker 6: Good on your Jim. Thank you mate. Maggie's in Adelaide, Hi Maggie.
Speaker 28: Yeah, hi Simon. Oh just a quick A few things I think you know who might your affect explained your powers? You could describe as you've been a plag A plub?
Speaker 6: Yeah, put be in now, what exactly is a plub? I've heard people being called clubs before, but I've never quite understood it.
Speaker 28: Sort of common, you know, without I don't wish to put you down, dear Van. That's all right, that's okay, yeah, plip or for being you know, No, you don't your your I.
Speaker 6: See Jay's just brought it up on the screen. An ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes. Yeah, that's that's me.
Speaker 28: I'm not saying you know that, but I'm referring to your palace, yes, taking barbecue shapes with Bree and all that whatever else you might have see. But we'll leave that one I will learn, shall we going on to I could talk about hydro cephalitis and technology and then music. So which one give you? Earlier on you were talking about someone was talking about hydrocephalitis or something.
Speaker 29: Yeah, now my.
Speaker 28: Understanding, and us then to be corrected that it means water on the brain. And in a decade ago, if a baby was born with that, it was not diagnosed and they spent years in in special care. Like Menda, I believe peraps it nowadays could be preventable, But you know whether it can be come on later on in one's life somehow, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Well, we've just had a text from Marion who says, my husband just passed away with hydrocephalus. It is water on the brain. So you're right there, Maggie, it is water on the brain. In my husband's case, it stopped him walking. He did finally also have some dementia. He was eighty six. It's a terrible thing, first noticeable symptom is when you look like your feet are sticking to the floor when you walk. Thank you for that, Marian, Thank you for clarifying that and sharing your story with us. There. So yeah, there you go.
Speaker 28: The worst thing, though, is when you have a baby, well back decades ago, born with this condition because it could will and truly be preventable nowadays. But you know, back then they were I don't know how politely to put it, crippled somewhat years in and that sort of thing. Yeah, so I don't know. But the other one that I wanted to quickly move on to because you're talking about or quickly technology and then music. Now the advent of technology, Oh yeah, no, jobs at risk? Oh yes, yeah, now AI. Did I hear that you mentioned an outlet like KFC or someone else now using AI.
Speaker 6: A caller earlier said that Hungry Jacks are using AI at the drive through. So when you get the high welcome, hungry Jack's going to take your order, it's possibly AI. Now, I've not seen that anywhere, but a caller suggested that that was happening.
Speaker 28: Yeah, I believe that too. Now you're also music, in my view of the modern music, music of these days is not music, it's just noise, you know.
Speaker 6: Well, no, I disagree with that, Maggie. And the reason I say that is in every year in history, the ninety percent of music that comes out is probably pretty forgettable, and there's just there's a handful of songs and the stuff that just really stands out and goes down in history and remains very good. I've done sixty years of Top forty montages and in every year except one. There was a year around two thousand and two, two thousand and three where I just thought all the songs were pretty much rubbish. But every other year there's songs in the top forty charts that I like. So it's always slim pickings. So when we go back to Elvis and the Beatles and Guy Mitchell and all of that, it was they were the cream of the crop. But there was also a lot of stuff which was very forgettable that comes out every year in history. So yeah, and now, Maggie, I've got to fly, We've got to get to a break. But thank you for the callers. Always always lovely to chat. Vern Is inter Ralgan Hey n Well yeah, good, thanks, But well.
Speaker 20: A little bit of nostalgia, right, well you.
Speaker 18: By the boy.
Speaker 20: Christian Broody. He's very up to date with the politics. He should be a politician. I think he's pretty good at what he does. And yeah, the other man that says you don't give him a.
Speaker 18: Faygo, if I get half the spago, I'd be very happy. So anyway, this is.
Speaker 20: Something I like you to record. Only sixty three to sixty four there was a band called the ald Damos and they were on three dr Party Time on Saturday night and it hosted Philip.
Speaker 18: Brady and Keith.
Speaker 20: McGowan on Sunday.
Speaker 18: At six o'clock.
Speaker 19: And and.
Speaker 20: I've just got a look at my notes here for a minute, but I really like it in the band they went on the hotal His Battle of the Sounds and they got a standing ovation. They thought that they had it in the bag, but Doug Parkinson came in there with all his entourage and big equipment and dusted them off. That I'd really like to talk to. There's only two members in the Eldamos left. They've been playing for fifty three years. And oh, you would not believe the stories that he could tell you. But if you could listen to him sometime, I know some of them, but you wouldn't believe what that been has done and went through. But as far as Nostelgia goes, that's something to really be recognized by.
Speaker 6: Wonderf And I've not heard of the l Damos before. What's what's the spelling? Is it E L SPACE D A.
Speaker 27: M O S or y L E L D.
Speaker 7: S.
Speaker 20: But that was in the time of totally Battle of the Salesyeh, they called the Esquires Esquires.
Speaker 6: They changed the name, did they to the Esquires?
Speaker 20: Ye been going for fifty three years and they're still kicking along and they play beautiful music and hang on.
Speaker 6: But you said fifty three years, but you said they were around in sixty three and sixty four, so that would make it over sixty years of age.
Speaker 20: No, When they went on three D Hour with Party Time on Sunday night, it was with Philip Brady and Keith m'gowan. Now you know what happened after that. There was a church thing and Keith mc gowan didn't turn the switch off and these blokes were doing garage talk and it came across over the.
Speaker 17: Over the.
Speaker 20: The preacher's thing, and they got the bullet from that right.
Speaker 6: Okay, I didn't know that Phil ever worked at three t R. I knew Keith did, but yeah, I didn't know I was there. Oh yes, maybe he was a guest or something on the show.
Speaker 20: Well I didn't pick the switch. And they were talking garroge talk, you know, amongst blokes, and they come across, they come across on the church thing.
Speaker 6: Always risky. Yes, yes, there you go with an interesting little history lesson there, Vern. I'd never heard of the old Omers who became the Esquires. That's a great bit of history. So thank you for the call, Vern. That's interesting to hear. Larz is in Perth, lads, Simon, Yes, there you go mate, Yeah, good things.
Speaker 30: Hey, I'm going to talk about shapes. Ant's shapes barbecue. Okay, now, now you notice on the packet that says oven bakes, not fried. They used to be fried, that's right. And they changed their recipes some years ago. And what I'd noticed was was less of the the red the red spice on there, or which.
Speaker 6: It was, which contains all the flavor.
Speaker 30: Yes, yes, so I was disappointed when they changed that. And tell you what, aren't shapes. I had them since I was a kid th BUBC shapes are fantastic eight And I was very disappointed because there was less of the red stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so are you talking about when they went through the stage when they redid them all, which is probably about ten years ago now, and just decided to change the constitution of them, the way the way they're even made, And yeah, they were disgusting. And after about six months they brought back original shapes.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 30: Well, well there's less of the topping on top, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've always I've always wondered about that because the companies that do all these things, they deny that they change that stuff. And the theory is that we just as you get older, your taste buds change and we just don't taste it as much as we used to, it is what they would claim.
Speaker 30: Yeah, I don't know. Anyway, I was quite disappointed. So I rang now on the box. I've got a number there. You ring up and complain. Yeah, rang up and complained and said there's not enough of the red stuff on top of the top of the of the shapes. And I said, oh, no, I will send you out, you know, a few boxes of the shapes. So no, I don't want you a few boxes of the shapes. I want the red stuff. Guess what they Guess what they sent me.
Speaker 6: They didn't send you a bottle of the red stuff? Did they?
Speaker 31: Yeah?
Speaker 6: How cool is that?
Speaker 25: Oh?
Speaker 6: How marvelous I was?
Speaker 30: I said, I want the red stuff, and they sent me a container full of the red stuff.
Speaker 6: You know, if there's a thought, you know, if they actually just marketed that, if you could in the herbs and Spices section, you know, the Master Food's Herbs and Spices little bottles, if they had one that just said barbecue shape flavor. You can put it on anything. It would be good on a steak or it was.
Speaker 30: So I had my shape. So I just sprinkled over the top of the shapes and then I thought I was happy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, very nice.
Speaker 30: I send a message to them, you know, so you know they're not too bad these days.
Speaker 23: But but yeah, but they were great.
Speaker 30: They they took that on board and they said, do you want a carton of shapes? And I said, said, no, I just want the red stuff.
Speaker 6: And they sent it to you. That is wonderful. You know, I reckon if they excuse me, if they just announced you know, as of as of July one, shapes will now contain fifty percent more flavor, as in another fifty percent of the red stuff on top of what was already there. And they charged another dollar for the box. I reckon. You'd you'd do it, wouldn't you?
Speaker 30: Well you think they add a little sashet in there with a little bit of extra red stuff.
Speaker 6: For me like Samdboy used to do Sadboy for a short while, did that? Remember that that Sadboy Sultan vinegar and in there was a sat of extra salt and vinegar and the hell out of your lungs, But god, it was delicious.
Speaker 30: You got to listen to your customers, right.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, all right, Well, you and I need to take over on it's I reckon and get some stuff happening. Get on your last, have a good night. It's take care. We better get another break out of the way here. Mark's in Hampton Park, did I? Mark?
Speaker 29: How are you going good?
Speaker 6: Thanks?
Speaker 32: That's Goodian shooting work over on the radio last year and I spoke to someone about having a good time, and I just wanted to speak to someone about having a good time.
Speaker 23: Good to night.
Speaker 6: So you're having a good time, are you? Yeah?
Speaker 32: Yeah, I'm having a lit to. I just wanted to know what's going on in you guys. Everyone happy time as c W this morning.
Speaker 6: Well and I here having you know, I think we're having a fairly good time, just having a yact with people.
Speaker 32: That's good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Gabriel Hodson's in the newsroom. She's having a good time, working away, keeping on top of things.
Speaker 32: That's good because mom and dad told me last year when I was on the radio, they say, she's going at radio again.
Speaker 13: I'll kill your Yeah.
Speaker 32: I guarantee it's more healthy than giving with my parents at the moment, because I have passed away. Yeah, still and everyone is still kicking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and is your Is your mum okay with you coming on the radio now?
Speaker 32: Or is she wanting to be fatter than I said?
Speaker 6: She said? What's sorry?
Speaker 32: She's a better person. He wants to see everyone is having a good day of parents.
Speaker 6: She wants to she wants everyone to have a good day.
Speaker 33: I don't know what she's doing, but.
Speaker 32: You're station is fantastic. You guys emphasise a good day. At the moment, I'm thinking it's the best radio station in the world.
Speaker 6: Oh well, I'm happy to wear that title on behalf of the state. That's very kind of you to say that.
Speaker 32: About us situations in the happy to have a lovely day. Thanks for listening to my problems.
Speaker 6: Not not at all. It's it's a pleasure. Mark. We've got a minute before we've got to get to the next break. So what are you doing? What's what's up for you for Wednesday, the fourth.
Speaker 32: Of June Wednesdays. You already waiting for Channel Link pay to go through next Wednesday. Yes, that's not a problem for me. It's a good amount of money. I don't mind it. Having a Just listen to Ready on the moment with three a w watching a bit of TV Internet music TV.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, what what sort of songs are you watching?
Speaker 32: I'm seeing because she is on the TV at the moment that I'm listening to from a Bulgaria and I was gonna do Basically, I'm just litening with you because I like you, and I think you're a better person than a lot of other people. I think you can you can quote me on that. I think you've more, which means you up and go in the morning and you know how it gets a little good time.
Speaker 6: That's lovely that's very kind of you, Mark, Thank you. I I do have to get to that break here, so I'll let you go, but thank you. I'll wear that very proudly. Simon Owens as recommended by Mark. That's very kind of you, untouched, So thank you mate. It's a lovely call. We do need to take this last break before news. Gabe will be in the news room in about four minutes from now. Well, I've just seen Gabriel Hodson run past into the news booth, so she's planted firmly on the seat, microphone ready to go to keep you up to date with what's going on in the world. Then it'll be back to I want to know it'll be Rick Milne with antiques and collectibles on the other side of the news, so we look forward to that. So if you've got something that you want to share with us, something you've found at a garage sale, something you might have picked up at an op shop. It's amazing the bargains you can get one of those trash and treasure markets. When was the last time you went to a trash treasure market and what did you get? Give Rick Milner, myself and Jay a call on the other side of the news, which is coming up.
Speaker 24: Now you're listening to Australia Overnight with Simon Owens.
Speaker 6: There's seven after two. That's in Victoria. In Western Australia its seven after midnight, and in South Australia it's twenty three to two and that means it's time for this.
Speaker 30: Five o'clock it won't work.
Speaker 34: And then thetewl phone.
Speaker 3: I've broken Umbralla a rusty from bone.
Speaker 5: And I am delighted.
Speaker 35: The skull and Mion I love.
Speaker 21: And because they're trash, oh.
Speaker 3: Trash, anything dirty or bingei or dundy anything ragget I run russy.
Speaker 6: Yet Rick Milne joins us to talk antiques and collectibles on Australia Oven. I good morning, Rick.
Speaker 16: I wonder who it was that sang that little ditty.
Speaker 6: I think now I might be right, or I could be wrong. But the person who played Oscar the Grouch, I think, also played Big Bird and it was Carol somebody. He had a female name of Carol.
Speaker 16: Well, it's very typical in the US and it's not an unusual name.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I might I may be wrong, but a Jay just google for me who voiced Oscar the Grouch.
Speaker 16: Somebody will know, and they don't know. They'll look it up on the Internet and then they'll tell us. They'll be instant experts will be able, somebody will know. You think it was that one person doing both?
Speaker 6: It may be and Oscar, I think so. Yeah, Yeah, Here we go, voiced most times by Carol Spinney, and I'm pretty sure that Carol Spinney was also Big Bird. Don't I know the important things in life? You do?
Speaker 15: You do?
Speaker 16: Indeed, and this is, this is this is one of them. You know, You've taught me something. Yeah, I've now learned something that I wasn't aware of previously, and I have to thank you for that.
Speaker 6: No, there we go, and Jay's now looking at a website mup at fandom and there's a shot of Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch appearing together on screen and interacting with each other. So Carol, he would no, But everyone in that Jim Henson workshop were just geniuses. Did you did you see the documentary on Jim that came out a year or so ago?
Speaker 20: No?
Speaker 9: I did not.
Speaker 6: It's on one of the streaming services. I don't even remember which one, but I found it to be really inspirational. Jim Henson was quite the genius.
Speaker 16: Yes, well, I do remember that. There was a little fellow called Farley and he said, and he sang this little song everybody makes mistakes. In other words, don't be afraid to make a bit of a boo boo if you're a wrong person. Not the end of the world, you know, and finally finally sang everybody makes mistakes. But I actually had some very famous people who I can remember. There was one he's not a blues man. His name was bb King. Oh yes, and he did the alphabet. He sang the alphabet what.
Speaker 6: On Sesame Street or just aren't you yeah, yep.
Speaker 16: On some street And he actually sang the alphabet, you know, like as for apple, and B is for you know, yeah, barn, and C is for cap and so forth, and he's saying the whole thing. It was very very They did a lot of things like that where they used actually used a lot of quite famous people at the time to do.
Speaker 36: It.
Speaker 16: Was it was a groundbreaking and they all.
Speaker 6: Did it because it was an honor to be asked.
Speaker 23: That's right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So there's wonderful stuff. One of my favorite clips on Sesame Street was a blooper. It was Almo talking with Robin Williams, and Robin Williams is just holding a stick, and Almo says, what's the stick for, mister Williams. And Robin launches into a bit of a routine for like forty seconds or so, saying, well, it can be a hockey stick, it could be a microphone. And he's doing all these different things with a stick. And then he walks over to Welmo and says, right, and Elmo, I'm going to give this stick to you, and he hands the stick to Elmo and Almo says thank you, mister Robins instead of mister Williams. So there's this awkward silence, and then then Robin just grabs the stick and says I'm taking the stick back Almo and storms out, and Almo just dies of embarrassment. It was a blooper, but it was very fun.
Speaker 16: Yeah, very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now, speaking of Sysame Street, No, it's just a complete Nutter coincidence. But I was at the trash and Treasure market the other Sunday week ago and I managed to pick up for three dollars a mister snuffle up agus stuffed toy doll.
Speaker 16: Can you believe?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 16: I spoke about we were talking about I was talking about with Mark today about and we mentioned we mentioned the Farley thing, and I said, do you remember do you remember mister snuffle Up again. That's the first time I've mentioned it, I would say, in twenty years, and you mentioned it mentioned a few years later exactly.
Speaker 6: That stuff happens.
Speaker 16: Hilarious.
Speaker 6: That stuff happens to me all the time.
Speaker 16: It's not amazing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I've got a mister snuffle Up against just a small stuff toy. And I couldn't have been more excited when I saw it, and the lady handed I've handed over a five dollar note and I felt really embarrassed taking the change because I would have paid like fifty bucks for that thing. Yeah, because you know, sometimes these things just mean something to people, so they too.
Speaker 16: And I really liked Mister snuffle Up because I reckon he was he was. I just I just at the time, it was really a it was kind of a show almost good enough for adults, you know, in a lot of ways, and people felt good about letting their children watch it because there was education. It was a good it just it had good thing, just it exuded good things for young people. It was very positive, very clove and I really liked him, mister snufflecause he's my favorite.
Speaker 6: Well, I also have and I think I've mentioned to you that I've got these before, but i've got from the nineteen seventies in their original boxes. You know, the boxes have been opened, but I've got the boxes as well. But I've got a Grover puppet and a Bert puppet and an Ernie puppet from the nineteen seventies. Burt and Ernie have the plastic heads and when you put your hand in there, it's like it's going to cut your hand to ribbons on the sharp edges of the plastic. And when you try and open and close their mouths, they're barely able to move because they're so solid. So they're lousy in terms of actually being useful as puppets, but just from the time, something very special.
Speaker 16: I think, Yeah, Burton Ernie were great. They were hilarious when you think about it, they were pretty funny. Supposed to be shed.
Speaker 6: There was a great schedch. Bert walks into the room and Ernie's there it he's got a banana in his ear. It's just sticking out of his ear is half a banana, and Bert comes in and says, Ernie, why do you have a banana in your ear? And Ernie says, what's that, Burt, Ernie? You have a banana in here. I can't hear you. Burt, Ernie, you have a banana in here? Sorry, Bert, I can't hear you. I've got a banana in my ear. It's just stupid, but just so wonderful.
Speaker 23: Great.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and that was as I said it was, it's kind of I know, it was aimed at kind of preschool children pretty much about gee I too. What there was some there was some very very hilarious things that happened on that was That's a beauty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's very I think that was one of the first shows where they really understood that you can have adult humor in kids TV shows because they were also Kermit the Frog Wonderful In Sesame Street. Kermit played a reporter and reported from fairy Tales. So there was Kermit the Frog live on scene of Rapunzel letting her hair down so the Prince can climb up the tower and rescue her. And so Kermit's there saying, oh, here comes here comes the prince now, and the Prince comes in and there's wonderful humor built into this little sketch that adults will get. But the kids are seeing a frog reporting on, you know, a guy coming to save Rapunzel. And in the end the prince is yelling out, Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair, and she's that, let down your hair, and so she takes the wig off and all of the hair falls to the ground. So can't be safe, but just just funny little sketches.
Speaker 16: It was just And of course when you think about it, children they can understand that humor, I mean as well as adults can. That was the beauty of it. I supposed to some degree with bit like that, with with there or Summer's thing, wasn't it in the early days.
Speaker 6: Yes, true, Yeah, the two kids.
Speaker 16: Really got the hang of it, and then all of a sudden it went mainstream, so there we go, and yeah, but that was that was one of the longest running it.
Speaker 6: It's not on that, no, No, Sesame streets still going. Yes, it's still going. They've got they've added a few new characters, and of course you know there's there's still one or two of the originals are there. I think Maria is still there, and yeah it's on it's on the ABC Kids channel now and and it's that's right, and YouTube like you just yeah, there's just thousands of clips on YouTube. But they have modern stars coming, like in the old days that Stevie Wonder made appearances and and what's his name saying if you call out my name, my name, I'll come running. James Taylor, James James Taylor used to have people like that, but now they've got they have more modern people. Your Lady Gargas and that you turn up for it today. Anyway, we should we should take a break and then see if we can get to some calls and talk about what you've sent into us this morning on a detour it was a bit. But if you've if you've got, I'd love to know what you have. You got anything from Sesame Street in your collection one double three eight eighty two or one double three six ninety three, what's your what's your or what's your children's television collectible? There you go, there's something that people might ring in on. Because I've got about twenty so that could fill the hour. But I'd love to take calls. What's your what's your childhood television collectible that you've got. We'll be back with more of Rick Milne and we'll find out what Rick has sent in after this as well.
Speaker 21: See each.
Speaker 6: Ye there it is, as Rick mill mentioned just before the break, BB King on Sesame Street singing the alphabet What about that?
Speaker 16: And you're right.
Speaker 25: I mean they.
Speaker 16: Had, as you said, Stevie Wonder and they had James Taylor, and they had what's the girl?
Speaker 18: She was.
Speaker 16: Linda Ronstadt, she was.
Speaker 6: Once, yes, another one.
Speaker 16: They had variety of I think they always donated their services. I don't think they were paid.
Speaker 6: No, that would probably be all right because, as I say, it was an honor to be asked to do those things. Yeah, yeah, wonderful. Now Rick Milne is here on one double three six nine three one double three eight eighty two. If you've got something you want to share with us, we'd love to chat to you. If you've got an antiqu or collectible you want to have valued, or you want to reminisce about something from the past. Rick Milne is here to take your calls. David's called from Israel. First up, gooday, David.
Speaker 37: Mean and Rick Milne, how are you?
Speaker 16: How are we going well David, how can we.
Speaker 38: Help Linda Ronstan sounds like you not donating your services to three W.
Speaker 23: Yeah she was. She was on that show.
Speaker 16: It was a great show.
Speaker 38: I might say, yeah, Systeme Street. My kids grew up and I think we grew up.
Speaker 37: That was good shot.
Speaker 38: I have a question for you, Mickey Mouse. It's not like Sesame Street. You're talking about Sesame Street, Mickey Mouse. He's a really strange question. I was wondering if you could help.
Speaker 23: We have one set of.
Speaker 38: Cutrey of Mickey Mouse cutory. It's a small night a small fork and a small spoon and only and it's got sort of etching and engraving the same set of Mickey Mouse and then graining is liking black and whenever the grand kids come, they fight other who's going to get it? And we have not been able to find anywhere, including in disney Land, including on the internet, anything like it. A slot we've had, I don't know so tens of years. Have you ever heard of anything like that or do you know we condest something like that?
Speaker 16: Do you have any of any pieces of it at the moment.
Speaker 38: Yes, I'm at work, so I'd have to get my wife to take a picture and send.
Speaker 16: It to all right, and to do that, and I'll give you a phone number or an email address if you would would prefer that. It's a bit of a tricky one, but I can give it to you. But maybe through the phone in the first instance might be the easiest way. I'd say, David, do.
Speaker 38: You an do you have an iPhone?
Speaker 17: Or do you have WhatsApp?
Speaker 15: Or do you have messages?
Speaker 16: Yes, yeah, you can do that, do all of that, and I'll give you the details. So I'll write this down zero four one eight three three nine zero four zero three three nine three three nine one zero three. Yeah, and all you need to do is put the six one in front.
Speaker 23: Yeah, that's what you know, and take up the zero of.
Speaker 16: Course, leave the zero off and just the sixth one that'll come to me, right.
Speaker 38: And send it after ten o'clock tomm one of your time.
Speaker 16: That's great, all right, David, that's wonderful.
Speaker 6: Okay, excellent. I've always wondered, Rick, because there is so much paraphernalia that has been made with Mickey Mouse on it being Disney's biggest character, is there a point where Mickey Mouse saturation means that the majority of it's just not worth anything, and it's there's only modern thing.
Speaker 16: The modern things, i'd say, generally speak years. But if you're talking about the earlier times, they did example a child's tea set made of tin, a tin, little tiny child's tea set with Mickey Mouse on it. That was a very early version of Mickey Mouse. And he looked sort of ratty. He looked like a rat. He did in the early time. He had a tail, just like a rat. And he became much more cuddly later on, but the earlier versions of him, he was not exactly a cute little feller, but he was on I've seen it on a on a child's tea set and it was an original box and we had it in an early auction and it brought a lot of money. It was a big seller, very big because it was such an early item. Incidentally, if you ever find they also did some plates and things with Mickey and various other people. And if you ever find a Disney for example, a Disney plate and you turn it over and it says on the other side copyright Walter Disney, You've got yourself a fortune. Because he was Walter for about a year.
Speaker 6: Okay, so yeah, Walter for a year, and then Walton.
Speaker 16: Then he became Walter and but for the first maybe you're not even a year. But for a very short time when he started out he was known as Walter.
Speaker 6: That interesting.
Speaker 16: I actually have seen somebody who had a plate like a child's, you know, when there's sort of high edge you're add it like a little child's plate. And it had been broken in half and stapled very ugly staples through it. But it was Walter Disney, and it sold for seven hundred. That was in the most dreadful condition. But it was Walter Disney, and it sold for seven hundred.
Speaker 6: Fabulous.
Speaker 16: How about that? Good snows how much one in fine condition he would sell for. But they're very rare, naturally enough lovely.
Speaker 6: All right, good on you, David, Thank you for the call. Is in Minneapoli, and.
Speaker 18: Hello Rick.
Speaker 27: Day.
Speaker 31: I sent you a picture of my vintage plus Cyan Ann cats from Lady in the Tramp that I got from America.
Speaker 6: Ah Mm, when did you send that through? Leanne?
Speaker 31: I just send it through to Rick just now. Yeah, And their tails a lot together, and one's got sigh on his collar and the other one's got an.
Speaker 18: America I see.
Speaker 16: Them, I said them too little. Yeah, I've got it two little lot together. Yeah, and can you tell me how we like? What are they? What are they exactly?
Speaker 31: The Disney branded the cats from Laddy in the Tramp.
Speaker 16: Oh, of course, of course, Lady in the Tramp nifty.
Speaker 6: So for those of us who can't see it, though, they were they like little statuettes or is it printed on a plate toy?
Speaker 31: No, they're plus plush toys. Okay, yeah, plush versions of the vintage, like from the original Lady in the Tramp the cat the way they were there. They've changed the style of them in them more recent ones.
Speaker 16: Send them on a Simon the thread, but it was worth you've sent them to me, but you could send them. I could send them on to Simon as far as that goes.
Speaker 31: Yeah, why do we do that because I have to send an email for pictures?
Speaker 17: Now.
Speaker 16: I think they're pretty nifty. I like them.
Speaker 6: What are they from? Leanne?
Speaker 11: Well, the vintage, I don't know.
Speaker 31: They could be from the sixty seventy. I think probably the seventies.
Speaker 16: I'd say the seventies. They look they look at but they're still a little pair of them. I reckon they're probably worth about i'd say fifty to sixty the pair answer. That's where i'd see them, and I'll send them on to your sermon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 27: Yeah, please don't gorgeous, all right, they're not.
Speaker 31: They're going to stay with me till death. Do they do for you?
Speaker 16: And I don't blame you a bit?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's the key to it. Yes, for people who are coming and awing about calling one double three six nine three or one double three eight to eighty two, it's not you. You're not looking to sell these things necessarily, it's just you might have them. Yeah, just share it with a share the joy that you get out of these wonderful little pieces of your life. Louise in Adelaide, Hi, Louis, I've got.
Speaker 27: A couple of things. Firstly, Tomic KM and also Mass streets our parents come from as well. And the other thing is I've got a golden Police cassticker allels and golden Police activate.
Speaker 6: All right, So now what was the first one there, Louis? Because the phone line is just a little fuzzy, so was the first one?
Speaker 27: Two ceramics from one from mass seats when my parents come from a Kalem plane as well.
Speaker 6: Two ceramics from.
Speaker 39: Mass Netherlands. Yeah, and one from all one from Kalm A photo of a plane ceramic A photo of a plane.
Speaker 16: Yeah, is the lane Kale plane? Yes? And the other one.
Speaker 27: Golden police casticker of South Adelaide and golden fleece.
Speaker 6: Golden fleece casticker from South Adelaide.
Speaker 16: Oh, that's good. That's a good one. Yeah, that's a better of the two. The first one, if it's just a photograph of the Kalem that's worth probably about uh and the and the golden place sticker is probably worth about sixty five sixty five dollars. That's a good one.
Speaker 27: And where will I sell it?
Speaker 16: Well, if you would like to take my phone number down, which Joel, I'll give you in a minute, you grab yourself a pin in the meantime, call me out in the morning and I'll be able to help you with that one.
Speaker 6: For sure, no worries, good, good on your Louis.
Speaker 16: Thank you for and I'll give out the detail.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well we'll take a break and on the other side of the break we'll give out Rick's number. So you've got three minutes to grab a pen. There Louis and keep listening to the radio and you'll hear us give Rix number out and then you can give him a call in the morning and he can advise you where you might be able to sell those things if you're interested in doing so. Back with more of Rick after these one double three eight eighty two and one double three six nine three if you want to give us a buzz to talk antiques and collectibles with Rick Milne. Who's number, by the way, if you want to give him a call in daylight hours is zero four one eight three three nine one zero three. Rick loves nothing more than you're sending a picture through of something you found that is of interest, and he's a great contact if you're looking to sell such things. And later on we'll also find out what Rick's looking for, because Rick has clients who ring him and say Rick, I need this, I need that, So we'll find out all of that soon. Rick. Do you want to feel old?
Speaker 25: I do.
Speaker 6: I just got I get little Facebook notifications and things, so I checked stuff during the break. Sally Boyden has posted photos of her sixtieth birthday party.
Speaker 16: Oh play.
Speaker 6: In my lifetime. She was the littlest Australian Sally Boyden. I remember a child star on Young Talent Time, and she's posted photos.
Speaker 16: Of image by the way through the mail, I might say of Leanne's to docs, okay, I will yeah, I sent she sent them away and I sent them through to you. Yeah, that was another amazing I think her dad was a big car man. Wasn't his car a seller?
Speaker 36: Oh?
Speaker 40: Was he?
Speaker 6: I actually don't know her history.
Speaker 16: I must think it was Brad Boyden Motors. I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 6: Is that right?
Speaker 16: Everybody will know.
Speaker 6: Well, if anyone's got a car with a Brad Boyden sticker on it, that's probably worth more than the car.
Speaker 16: He's sixty years old, isn't that something? Little Sally?
Speaker 6: Yeah, happy birthday, Sally. I would never normally give a lady's age, but she posted it online saying thank you for my sixtieth birthday. So I figured out. Today Helen is in Safety Beach. Hi, Helen.
Speaker 41: Good evening, gentlemen. I could bring up every week with what he might house.
Speaker 6: Oh you should go on.
Speaker 16: You're very welcome to Helen.
Speaker 38: I'm just mean to tell you that I have three children, fifty two, fifty four and fifty seven.
Speaker 26: That's their ages.
Speaker 41: And I have three the original romp in mugs. Yes, they've all got one. I can't pick one up and show you because I looked at the buffet and they have disappeared, so they'll be up in there there, yes, but I don't mind.
Speaker 20: They're in all in perfect conditions.
Speaker 16: So you reckon they've come along and save any of them?
Speaker 25: Do you?
Speaker 16: The kids?
Speaker 41: Oh, no doubt about it. Yes, which is fine because I know that they treasure all these bits and pieces. Yes, it was the original like when first started. That's when I bought them on a mug.
Speaker 6: Do you remember where you bought them from? Helen? Oh my goodness, Like would it have been a kmart or anything like that.
Speaker 41: Or honestly, I would have no idea.
Speaker 16: Now I'd be guessing it'll be right, I'd be guessing that be about right. Can you tell me what you paid if you got any idea how much they got in the first place?
Speaker 29: No, I can't tell you any of that.
Speaker 41: It's uh no, Well I'm going on eighties and and GiB Me fifty said no, No, I honestly I have no idea, but it is that it is the original rumper room mug. That they used to have their milk out of.
Speaker 6: I'm wonderful, yes, because that was part of rumper room, was when they'd sit and have their drink of milk and stuff.
Speaker 11: That's right, that's right to sit there with the with the milk.
Speaker 23: In the market.
Speaker 41: They're still in perfect condition.
Speaker 6: And then and then you'd stand up, put a basket on your head and walk around trying to practice having good posture.
Speaker 38: A great show show for the kids.
Speaker 6: Really well with mister Doobie.
Speaker 16: Yeah, that's right. You you made me feel old again, Helen. About fifteen, maybe twenty each, somewhere like that, around about twenty fifty fifteen to twenty each. Yeah right, that's good fun then.
Speaker 41: And the only other thing I've well, now I've got pass but this particularly, you've reminded me of.
Speaker 14: Fifte My Street.
Speaker 41: I've got a very big, big bird.
Speaker 42: He'd be about a meter.
Speaker 41: And a half big.
Speaker 6: Oh wow.
Speaker 41: And when I bought it when my first lot of grandchildren were bought, and the twins are twenty six now, no twenty seven, just turned twenty seven, twin girls, and I bought him, and he's still sitting on a chair at my house. So he's been sitting there looking at seven grandchildren and they've all loved him, and he's still sitting there as very brand news, how.
Speaker 6: Lovely From the late nineties, it would have been yeah, it would have been.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it would have been Yeah. That's going to be worth a bit too. I'd think fifty fifty sixty dollars perhaps somewhere like that. Hen's if you've got some good things there for your for your brandy. So it's a very nice thing to do.
Speaker 41: You could spend hours in my house. The kids keeps saying, Mum, you know, get rid of I can't.
Speaker 32: Get rid of it.
Speaker 16: No, you bet, and let them let them enjoy, Let them enjoy what you've got.
Speaker 6: Yes, exactly, good, good on your helen. Okay, it's a lovely call. Thank you.
Speaker 16: It was a good fun.
Speaker 27: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And it's it's a hard thing. Also, isn't it putting a price on some of these things, Rick, Because like as I say, I picked up the mister snuffle up agus for three dollars, I would have paid fifty So that's that's right. So if that same thing was on eBay and there were people like me bidding, that just drives the price up. But if if only one person happens to see the listing. You can pick up a bargain, you can, but.
Speaker 16: I hope you don't. I hope the person I hope the person's ordered to you for three dollars is not listening. No, exactly, think about that, Son, Yes.
Speaker 6: That's true. It chased me down for the rest of the bunny. Now, Rick, we what we might do is take another break here and then we'll come back and have a look at the things that you've found this week. So one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. If you want to ring and have a chat to Rick, feel free to do so. We'll get you on nice and quick. But after the break we'll have a look at the things that Rick's found.
Speaker 4: Ernie, Hey, ern Oh, hi, Bert Yeah, Ernie Yeah. Do you know that you have a banana in your ear?
Speaker 7: What was that?
Speaker 4: Bert? I said, you have a banana in your ear?
Speaker 2: Ernie.
Speaker 4: Bananas a food there to eat, not to put in your ear.
Speaker 15: Ernie.
Speaker 6: What did you say, Bert?
Speaker 43: Will you just take that banana out of your ear?
Speaker 21: I'm sorry you let to speak a little louder, Bert, I can't here.
Speaker 6: You I have a banana in my ear, there is that that sketch that I mentioned earlier. Rick, there, it is classic, wonderful stuff, such such simple humor. Now, Rick Milne is here one double three six nine three one double three eight eighty two if you want to give us a call. But what have you found this week? Rick?
Speaker 16: Brittles guitar in the original with the original box, A nice little plastic one for about five hundred dollars, A very nice bit, Benny Brown, that's chocolate tin had laid company as a matter of fact, Betty, But I think it's a beauty with a cocky on the front. I reckon it's a little classic. It's quite a large tin. Must have been a lot of chocolate center, That's all I can say.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 16: And then one of my very favorites. Were you a PiZZ Did you ever get a pez one of those little pezz? You remember them?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: I had. I would have had a Mickey Mouse one at some point, and a' donald duck one. I'm pretty sure I remember too.
Speaker 16: Do you have as many as this person has?
Speaker 19: No?
Speaker 6: As I look at the picture, that's that's impressive. And they've got them sorted by color as well.
Speaker 16: I know there must be two hundred in the picture somebody sent it to me. That's amazing, this is phenomenal. Now, this is how I would value it. I'd say it's fabulous and prideless. How can you val.
Speaker 23: People might think?
Speaker 13: What was?
Speaker 16: It was kind of a little it was kind of a chalky suite. It wasn't the most beautiful suite in the world.
Speaker 6: A little chiny sort of tablets about the size of a piece of chewing gum, roughly that sort of size. But they had this plastic thing with their head on it, and you'd pop their head up and this stuff.
Speaker 16: You know, they're be inside this little little tube that was below the head.
Speaker 6: Yes, and.
Speaker 16: Can you believe every single one of those that you're looking at there is difference, no two the same.
Speaker 6: Wow, it's a It's a great collection.
Speaker 16: Isn't it.
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And what can take up too much room? Either? What a great thing to collect.
Speaker 16: And by the way, I do know that there were some that they made very few of for some reason, or maybe it was a different colored base or something. And I do know that some of them at one stage was selling for some hundreds a couple of them at least, because you know, one was maybe the Mickey mouse Head was supposed to have a yellow body or a green body, if some of them a red body, and some of them, I do know that some of them at the time, I don't know anymore. I don't know much about them, to be honest, but I just it was such a fabulous thing. Now, the next one is a very snooty looking woman who was a sort of a store dummy. It would have been. It was only kind of a bust in other words, just from the sort of earth, just to blow that the neck, I suppose, you'd say, And I would imagine that it would have. She would have been from an old department store, maybe with a hat or something like that. But she is a very she's looking down and knows that she has people. Yes, she had a very snooty appearance.
Speaker 6: Advertising a fascinator or something.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, something like that probably was. And I would think from about the nineteen thirties it looked very old to me. She came out of an old apartment store up in the Wimra as it happens in western north western Victoria, and it's an old stores long long gone. Of course, it would have been a kind of haberdashery. Course they used to call them amberdashery stores. Yes, and this old well clothing and.
Speaker 6: All manner of things, dreams of fabrics.
Speaker 16: This isn't the window of that shop? How about that?
Speaker 6: Lovely?
Speaker 16: And the last one is a big canvas from the show featuring a woman on roller skates and it says death defining all sorts of wonderful thing. But it's a beautiful, absolutely huge, I might say, and worth a lot of money. I'd think probably fifteen hundred dollars. Rare, very rare item lovely.
Speaker 6: Huge things like that look really good on a wall in a two story house.
Speaker 16: Exactly. You need a two story house, yes, exactly, and you need to do a sort of down the stairwell. You might say, that's the only way I could do it, because I saw.
Speaker 6: A picture one that somebody sent in and they had a tram roll. So it was a Melbourne person obviously, but they had a role. Yeah. So it had all of the stops along a tram route all on this roll and they'd hung it from the ceiling to the floor in a two story house. Yeah, And the only way to do it, and it looked fantastic.
Speaker 23: On the wall.
Speaker 16: The sad thing is because they served long and most people live in a one story house, people do cut them up.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, no, don't do that.
Speaker 16: If you've got one, I'd rather than rolled up than do that. I've always said I do have one, and I've said to me, maybe the best thing we'd do is we could lay it on the floor and then put a sort of a perspex cover over the top, uh as for us to walk on, So we could actually walk on it with the sign underneath, which would run down from the front door to almost to the back door of the house.
Speaker 6: That's marvelous, wonderful. All right, let's get to We've got some calls that have come through for Rick. Darren's im warnable. Hi Darren, here go. You're good.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I've got this Henry Silverman.
Speaker 40: Of the Manhattan started out and bridging in the background the Twin Towns.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, so's it's a print by who did you say, Henry Silverman? Yeah, and it's uh, it's it's it's got the Twin Towers and the Brooklyn Bridge in it.
Speaker 16: Oh yeah, that's a yeah, that's a bit of a special. I'd need to do a bit of a research on that, Darren. I don't know him, and but I will be able to. I'll be able to put you in touch with somebody if you'd care to give you a call after ten today? Oh this number, I got the number.
Speaker 11: That's well, I'm yeah, I'll go ring back and get the number.
Speaker 6: Give us a buzz back when you need to, and Jay, I'll be able to pass on Rick's number to you. I'll give it out again in a couple of minutes time as well. But yeah, Rick, Rick will Rick will know. That's the glorious thing about Rick Milne is if he doesn't know, he knows someone who does know. One stop shop for contacts. Got on your Darren, thanks for that. Judith is in Melbourne.
Speaker 23: Hi Judith, Hello Rick.
Speaker 33: I am the grand daughter of who used to be Lord Mayor of Brunswick in the eighteen fifty fours or fifty five.
Speaker 16: Oh I how about that you.
Speaker 26: Okay?
Speaker 33: Now, I've got a silk Handkerchifeeth that was given to me by my mother to look after and it's what the Queen Victoria on it. It's got a baby's bottle with a very long chube bonders and a couple of other things that's actually on that original silk handkerchief. Would that be worth any see?
Speaker 16: Yes, it would, it would. That's been unusual. They used to do lots of wonderful silk handkerchiefs. Well, not exactly handkerchiefs. I don't think you plow your nose on it, but they were on sort of what you call handkerchief material. But you wouldn't want to be doing too much of that, would you on? With such a lovely item. Yeah, those do sell pretty well, I have to say, Judith and somewhere I would think these days might find a customer. Not easy to find because the young are kind of the ruling the world a bit in terms of the buying power. But nonetheless, if you could find a good customer, I reckon you might get one hundred dollars for it these days, right about.
Speaker 44: Yeah.
Speaker 33: They also I've got a home a very very old print which would have been belonged to my grandfather. Yes, and it's the print of the horse racing home maybe pilap days. And also with a copy of each person that's in that photograph of what's a print that tells you who they are?
Speaker 17: Ah?
Speaker 16: Yes, that's a black and white one, isn't They're all numbered is that the one of the racetrack. Yes, that's right, Yes, yes, I know that one. That's that one turns up believe it or not, that one, and they have. They were all famous people, of course, you know, governor general and all the sort of people. And they were numbered, they were all numbered, and they were kind of they weren't photographs exactly were they They were more like artwork. And that one sells for about probably these days, about not much, probably forty or fifty dollars would just about see it out, turns up a lot, believe it or not. Judah, next one.
Speaker 6: There's a fair few of them around, I guess yes. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back and find out what Rick Milne is looking for after this. Rick Milin's number is zero four one eight three three nine one zero three. But Rick's about to go off and get about seven hours beauty sleep. So if you want to ring him zero four one eight three three nine one zero three, please do so after seven hours from now reack in about forty five seconds. What are you looking for?
Speaker 16: Bird cards from tuck fields that have blue backs, not just regular ones, were ones with blue blue printing on the other side, old race books, old comics, fanom et cetera, argus anything, cards and badges from that Melbourne newspaper and Scanlon's any kind of scanlands, cards and Camerask of people looking for all of those zero four one eight three three nine one zero three if it can help.
Speaker 6: Excellent stuff. Get on your reck, good to chat, good on your Simon to rick me on there after the news. Your calls are welcome. We've got the serial Cereal in the next hour. We've got Chicken Man as well. But here's Gabriel Hodson with the news.
Speaker 24: Now this is a straight your open eyes with Simon Owens.
Speaker 45: She's chair sixteen years old. Leave her, they said, sad read. We don't know whether yes, but I want to.
Speaker 1: You naa.
Speaker 6: Another great song from the collection of j Into the Night, But I can't remember who sang that song.
Speaker 7: It's a river, isn't it. That was from mister mend Benny London. Benny, Sorry, my glasses should be working better than that. Benny Mardon's m A R D O N E S Madnis.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, no, I can't say I remember him as an artist, but yeah, great, so I haven't heard that song for years. That's a great one. It's funny. How funny how songs just go missing. Yeah, that was a big song, and I remember it fondly, but I couldn't tell you the last time I ever heard it.
Speaker 7: I think it was one of those you know, in the seventies one hit wonders.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, but then you know you hear Hotel California sixty times a day on from stations.
Speaker 7: I think I used to hear that song because, as I said, you said to, my brothers are older than me, and we used to hear that song on the radio and we would be around the radio the table with the radio down the end, yep, and we would be eating our breakfast and getting ready for school. And I think back in those days, Darren Hinch was on the radio in the morning, yes, doing breakfast, and we would listen to him and he'd be playing some songs like that as well. You could just hear it through the wireless, you know, the crackling sound and yeah, it's awesome, it's good, wonderful stuff.
Speaker 6: And now we've got a couple of calls we'll get to and then man, before we get to our first break, but in this hour, we've also got the cereal. But there's room for you if you want to give us a buzz anything that's on your mind. One double three six ninety three or one double three eight eighty two in the half hour that we've got between now and the cereal, your calls would be welcome. Zahara is in Newcastle, Hi, Sahara? Oh yeah, yeah, good, thank you.
Speaker 14: I was just talking about ill past three of the day and I thought that he would come to Australia.
Speaker 6: Oh was he. I haven't seen that anyway, No.
Speaker 14: Ship that he got to have to astray yah right, Yeah, it seeks to me enough thought, well, that's nice that he comes.
Speaker 6: Well, he'd be welcome to come and splash some cash around down here. I'm sure there'd be there'd be many restaurants and hotels who'd happily have somebody with his wallet come and stay at their place.
Speaker 14: And also if he come, see who'll get to the kangaroos and everything and all the nights while as we had in Australia. Yes, yes, and there's been a change for him from his corporate life.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I think he gets around and I don't think he spends a lot of time in an office. I think he keeps fairly active. Yeah, but it'd be good to come down and you know, visit Australia zoo or something like that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that would be nice, wouldn't And also it'll be a good for the company.
Speaker 6: Well if he yes, spent some dosh while he was down here, that would be excellent. I haven't seen anything that says he's coming to Australia. Did you say you had heard that he is.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I have a message show him and he tells me that.
Speaker 6: Okay, right, Oh well, if he's if he's in contact, if you're in contact with him, if he's messaged you, then let him know. We'd happily have a chat to him.
Speaker 38: If he's up to it, he could come here.
Speaker 14: Yeah, down in Australia.
Speaker 6: That would be good.
Speaker 14: We have a beautiful country here.
Speaker 6: M oh, here we go. Elon Musk is said to visit an Australian tourist hotspot this weekend as he expands his STARLINGK satellite empire in the Southern Hemisphere. Take Billionaires due to touchdown in Bali on Sunday to launch his broadband internet serve as Starlink on the Indonesian island Australian tourist hotspot. So he's not actually coming to Australia. He's going to Bali, which is an Australian tourist hotspot according to this. Oh but hang on, Elon must to land on Australia's doorsteps. So yeah, there's still nothing to say he's coming here, but he's coming close to here.
Speaker 14: You tell me different in a message.
Speaker 6: Right, Okay, Well I'm happy to go with the message that he's sent you. That'll be great. So yeah, please extend me our courtesy. Wou'd happily have him come and spend some money in Australia.
Speaker 39: Yeah, all right, yeah, lovely, all.
Speaker 6: Right, go along is Sahara. Let us know if you hear from him again.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I heard from him and he said glove to.
Speaker 6: Me, Elon Musk loves you. Well that's nice too, nice to feel appreciated, isn't it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you can imagine being with anyone else's shipped from me.
Speaker 6: Well, there you go, he hasn't He got a few kids by a few different women. You he might be looking for another another mother, Zahara.
Speaker 14: Well, he told me about his kids and he's got twelve.
Speaker 6: Yeah, twelve kids. Yeah, I thought he had a fair for you.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and he's been married about four times.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Is he currently married or is he on the prowl?
Speaker 14: Now no, it's not. Does he tell me in the message should gives you and I gives you? And have the honest take your hand in marriage.
Speaker 6: So Elon Musk has proposed to.
Speaker 39: You, Yes, he did wow on.
Speaker 14: The internet.
Speaker 6: Well will he come and live with you or will you have to go and live with him? If well, that is if you're accepted. Firstly, sorry, yes, I shouldn't be so bold. Are you going to accept his proposal?
Speaker 14: I thought about it for what and then I did. But he's so busy over the sea. Yeah, because he's but it hurts him in his heart, becauld he hasn't in it. You can't see right into Australia. But he did say to me many messages.
Speaker 6: He tauds me babe, Oh does he that's that's nice? Nice to have anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now, what what I will say, Sahara is because because he's contacting you online, I should just say, just make sure before you ever commit to anything. And and like he's a very rich man, so if he asks you for money at all, just but make sure you don't go sending him any money, because it just there's a very slight, a very slip impossibility that if Elon Musk is contacting you online, it may actually not be the real Elon Musk. And I'd hate to shadow your dreams and stuff, but just just bear that in mind it might not actually be him, and.
Speaker 14: We'll wait to that. What do you want to get married for? You've got promedy wives already that you married, and as I'm a Christian and Jewish sis, well I believe in the Lord and one marriage.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well, well he'd have to make sure he's divorced from all of his previous wives before you would accept a proposal.
Speaker 14: I would imagine, yes, but he's divorced from all of them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, well that's.
Speaker 14: As change zeez on the Lord and in regard to the religion. But now he's a real Christian.
Speaker 6: Well that's that's good. Well, look, I better move on to the horror. But that's all good news for you, and yeah, and keep us posted. I hope it all works out for you. But you know these international people, and you know he's a very busy business man. I just hope it doesn't end in heartbreak for you. I hope it all works out all well, but thanks for the calls of horror and keep in touch, keep us posted on how that goes. Thank you. Now we better get the Chicken Man. But I've had confirmation Benny Mardoness rhymes as in rhymes withdrawn, so Benny Mardona's is the official pronunciation of that artist. Thank you Kenny for the clarification. Taking your calls now on one double three eight eighty two or won double three six nine three. Chris is Embroady, Hi Chris, Hello.
Speaker 8: Simon and Jay I you goad the night foot you on Foo to Wear TV. That has thrown my body clock completely out. I mean I watched the horse race got through to four thirty five o'clock on our Melbourne a bitch Poland and Victorian based at Channel seven out races dot com doors. I got some of the same races on Channel seven, but I don't. But now I'll get to the stage I'll stop watching some of the news reports. And just while I was on hold, I had to quickly races side to see there's no helicopters.
Speaker 39: In the air.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, Mack one night.
Speaker 8: And they had Nigel on these condess Parlam and that no, I said, Nigel look told Tony Mack one night, don't know, I'll never ever work it out. I've just switched the TV to see what the lefties have done on the ABC. I've been seconds to police there. W was hoverled over the top of the unit and Tony MC when I said, they know where you live, Chris, yeah, it has you deally thrown my whole body clock out.
Speaker 23: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And I decided that yeah, I would bring probably Astra overnight Monday for the Wednesday. There's been a few communications right down, a few not for that jo Jo's was a couple of of them. Producers at other times acquizzed me about every time I bring up about what I want to talk about, and so I didn't say enough in confront. I just said I'll fall enough. Look, I'll just take big day better and I'll of course in time to come, you know, and just sort of and not think anything anything difficult. Just and the tailor taith a bit like Caroline Katsa bars down one still if she precisely said this, I'll get sick of things we can't even deal with in Victoria because we're stuck with a parliament, a government, and people are blinded like racehorses with blinkers on. They're looking to head pay rises money. We need more money and they're not looking at the Carnegie have done either side or left behind them. And I don't have a voice to say, well, look, people deserve good money. But there's times that we really have to just try and hold on and help the fiscal free ups of money within our state. We can't keep borrowing money and bread Butt's not going to be able to go many for us to tens of thousand days to trees to grow mint currency, or we print more mint courage and mint up the croaking bad or further up in the state we devalue a dollar and no one will get no bank for back with the visitors. So you know, we can't stay in the status quosigmon and and I can't watch anymore Taylor down ifing I'm watching, I want to see what Russians are, I said to update what Russians responsible went with that very clever thing that the ukony Is don't deep in the Russian territory. I didn't think that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, with drains that cost a couple hundred bucks, they took out billions of dollars of aircraft. Yeah yeah, yeah, remarkable achievement and what they what they did there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'll take it with you probably Satday night, and probably's good for because I'm going to start watching watch them bit of a VFL. I've connected with your program. Still listening for now the last two hours too, just to I still like the foot I like the local for the second second tier forty two, but yeah, I haven't watched any. Last year, I did not miss an AFL game on Free to Wear right true to the Grand Final. But this year some games I'm not interested in watching them because they've got teams that I better. I like watching my own Richmond gulng, Western Bulldogs, Eston and Saint Kiolda, and I've can watch it to Adelaide's side, but anything involves West Coast Gold case. It's so that I don't like them. But like with Hawforne last year, they were not expected to do well last year Harnard, so they weren't on Treue to Wear TV too much and yet you know they're virtually winning games, are getting in the finals, and we didn't know much about their new inspirational stars. I'm saying a bit of them this year, but yeah it's not. Yeah, So I don't like to sort of be caught out by stuff like that. I like to be in the mixes. I'm really virtual on the ground. Watch it are all unfolded.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolute, good on your Chris. Always a pleasure. Thank you, mate. Hilton calls from Drew and Hi Hilton.
Speaker 40: Good evening gents.
Speaker 27: So are we Yeah?
Speaker 6: Good, thank you.
Speaker 40: Firstly, it doesn't work an him. I have secondary cirrhosis of the liver.
Speaker 6: Sorry.
Speaker 40: Yeah, so I do have some supporters out there that some are wondering where is he?
Speaker 16: Is he dead?
Speaker 23: Well, no I'm not.
Speaker 40: I'm still kicking and the one last chance to living. So we're giving our best shot. But that's another point. But I worked at three and E in wanga Adda from eighty five to eighty nine, and I learned a lot about music in the eighties and well the previous ten, fifteen, maybe twenty years and beyond them. Bennimar Donis was an interesting song and story, and without casting dispersions upon the fellow, a lot of people said, who is this bloke? He probably needs to go away if you listen to the lyrics. Very closely. It does, I suppose we can, but it does reek of.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 40: It starts with P and N in a and has quite a few syllables in that he what's he trying to achieve here? And if he wasn't such a good singer, it would not be where it is today. So you might remember the clip and the lyrics. She's just sixteen years old, Leave her alone, they say. He comes up to the window, and you might remember the flying carpet. He looks through the window and here's this young girl on a flying carpet, and he puts his head through the window. And next thing, he's on the carpet and they take off in this miss called carpet.
Speaker 23: Do you remember that?
Speaker 6: I know, I don't remember the clip. No, but I'm just looking at the song lyrics now, and yes, yes.
Speaker 40: So he evidently lived on the first floor. He was on the fourth floor, and she was on the first floor, and she came up and see him because she was being well fear evidently being abused or neglected, and he was the only one to look after her. And she's just sixteen years old, and she would come to him. Bennie mardonas he go to the phone box and she'd ring him. It was just an amazing film clip. That was Bennie Mardona's story. So he explains it extremely well in the clip if you do get to see it.
Speaker 23: And that's that's where it was.
Speaker 40: And that was it with Benny, and he survived on the one hit.
Speaker 23: As marks as many do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm looking looking at the clip now and yes, is they've just got onto the carpet together now they're flying?
Speaker 40: Yes, yes, So the man is probably about four for two. He puts his big head through the window. He looks about eight foot tall.
Speaker 6: So now, so for the plot of the clip, so is he rescuing her from a bad life or is he leading her astray? That's the one thing I'm not clear on there.
Speaker 40: You could look at you could look at it both ways. That's what people can't work out.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yes, but the song.
Speaker 40: The music and the lyrics just got him through.
Speaker 27: But that was it.
Speaker 40: There was there was no other normal Bennie Mark Bernis and he explains the film clip. My intense and purposes were not to molest the child. I was merely looking after it. Okay, it was very rare for you two and Jay your producer to be summed, and I thought, well, I wake up with cramps every couple of hours and I'm listening, I think, oh goodness, man, I have to ring you fellas well. It's very rare for you people to be stumped.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm glad you did, Hilton. That's a fascinating story. And thank you and a fellow announcer in a sense from three and E Wanger at a great station. It's lovely to chat to you you too, So I do.
Speaker 40: Listen and at times I think, should I will? I know I won't just ring up?
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, Well the answer should I should I Yes? Is always the answer. Yeah. Always get on the phone and give us a yack. I'd look forward to your calls next time we speak. I must go because we've got to get another breakaway because we've got more stuff to fit in before the cereal. But I'm really glad to have chatted to your Hilton. Thank you so much for the call. There you go from three and E Wangerata back in the eighties, and Hilton with great knowledge, great knowledge. I'd love to chat to again about other songs back in I say. Peter has called in from East Victoria Park, morning, Pete.
Speaker 12: Hello there you going good, good, good good. You've got a good name. You've got a good name.
Speaker 6: Oh thank you.
Speaker 12: You've got Simon, you got James, You've got Andrew, my brother in the Lord, and then you got Peter me.
Speaker 6: Are all the winners.
Speaker 12: All the winners, praise the Lord Shalom told the Jewish people other around the world than the rest of the world. I was going to talk about some other things, but I'm a musician. I used to play the piano audio and in big Park and I did you talk about no tomatoes and no bananas while you were saying that, I was at bananas sandwiches and the tomatoes anguish at that time and the and if you went on tomorrow is usual to come to Calgooley only fifty four to fifty six because where the market. God, we have plenty of tomatoes plenty.
Speaker 6: Yeah. No, I only mentioned it because I went to the I was at the shops yesterday, get it the day before now getting some. I was going to get all the ingredients from my salad and there was not one tomorrow in the woolwords at my local.
Speaker 12: I was eight and one. I had three. I was going to give you bring it back one couple come and get it.
Speaker 6: Well you could, you could post me one, but I don't know if it had travel that well.
Speaker 12: My Martha went, you're back to the dematters in Calgooley had to be old packed properly, you know, very pussy and all that, and the old days. Then that's a lot happen there.
Speaker 23: It is, you know, Mill, Do I know?
Speaker 6: Do I know who?
Speaker 17: Sorry bottom mo Mill?
Speaker 6: And not personally no, no, no, because I'm I'm over on the East coast.
Speaker 12: Yeah, because we're all working. The milk buy in Midpark will be a picture here today and then and the Bragg game and god go work on Sunday. But it used to be a Roman Catholic thence and they used to come from six PR Gavid Garbo, uh Libray and all that. Sergeant Scott Johnny watch football or keep him busy Nay. In Midpark I heard what's the name talking Sarah and Sarah said she's a Christian, she's a born again Christians. Got the height divorce It is only one marriage more divorced mate.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 12: Didn't sign any pipe. I think all that she lived with another and he's got to mention I still love it.
Speaker 23: She's still more.
Speaker 12: We're not three until one passes away. God hates divorce. As a Storian, the Holy bother it. She's a born again Christian, so be careful because a lot of trickery. Everyone gets married for free time and it all end up worst.
Speaker 6: Yes, well, look you say God hates divorce, and I'm not one too. I don't often get into religious discussions, but there are some religions do allow divorce and and interpret it. I think the Bible is open to interpretations.
Speaker 12: Oh well, you need the Holy Spirit, got in the medical better for worst, and you know I might depart. Matter of fact that she's just turned eighty one, twenty nine, I was injured. There's any change if you could play shoes that song when you us to come and get the bottle of milk, and the milk by then, and because you're living in Rubvart or live in Repark since of a sixteen, I may be polve now. Yes, and she has a love that song and wing of a dub.
Speaker 23: I still love more Wie.
Speaker 16: I still talk to.
Speaker 18: Her and this and that.
Speaker 12: I don't know any right, but if you're two born again Christian, the Holy Bot condemned that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm not going to go with condemning people who are born again Christians if they've found a religious faith. I think that's a that's a lovely thing, and good on them for doing so. But thank you for the call, Peter. I do appreciate it and glad to hear that you still love your wife. I'm I'm in a similar position. My wife and I are no longer together, but I still have great fondness for her and we get along better now that we're not together as it were, So I appreciate the call. It's good to know that you can go through a breakup and still have great fondness for the ex partner. We must go now. The cereal is coming up on the other side of the break. Then it will be news as we head up to four o'clock in Victoria, to two o'clock in Western Australia and to half past three in South Australia. That's what the time will be when the cereal finishes on the other side of this. Okay, news is coming up. Gabrielle Hodson's in a news booth ready to bring the latest to you, as she'll be doing that in about two forty seconds from now. After that, it'll be your calls for the next hour one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. And keep the text messages coming. I don't read them all out on air, but I do see everyone that comes through zero four double seven, six nine three nine three. I'm want to talk about love boo boo as well.
Speaker 24: Now this is Australia Open Eyes with Simon Owens.
Speaker 4: Since you've been gone.
Speaker 1: A few my last set in ways I love to this guy.
Speaker 46: And everything's turned away all I made There was one mistake, Palmers wave. I have to be whow can't you think it over?
Speaker 47: Why can't you care about the last Blamkes sand Save send Zuman.
Speaker 7: Don't say so.
Speaker 1: I just care say.
Speaker 6: Second time this morning that I'm going to say, Gee, great song Jay, but I don't know the artist. The song is called second Chance.
Speaker 7: I'm pretty sure yes, this is an easy one.
Speaker 6: For easier to pronounce. Yeah, thirty eight Special, thirty eight Special, the band thirty eight Special, I don't actually know. I don't know whether that was the one hit wonder for them or whether they had other hits. But lovely song, Yeah, beautiful, Yeah and again one of those ones I haven't heard for years, But what a great song it was.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I love the bass. I love bass in songs.
Speaker 6: Actually, I'm gonna have to I'm gonna have to excuse me, ladies and gentlemen, just for a moment while I added to my Spotify playlist before I forget.
Speaker 7: Yeah, in fact, I was playing that on the way last night.
Speaker 6: Great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they always popp into my head.
Speaker 6: I would have been listening to Dennis Walter myself, but hey, that's your choice, you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, No, I don't know. The songs just pop into my head every now and then I think, oh, geeyeh, haven't it that for a while. Might be listening to those one of those old time radio stations and always comes up with one that you haven't heard for quite some time, and I think I'll add that to the into the Hour music list.
Speaker 6: Well I'm glad you did, because I've just added it to my Spotify playlist.
Speaker 7: Thirty eight Special, thirty eight Special.
Speaker 6: Second Chance one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. Your calls are welcome right through this hour. We've got fifty minutes left for six PR listeners, and we've got seventy minutes left for those listening through three aw one five A. Now, just before we get to your calls, and we'll get to them very shortly. We've got Mark and Arthur waiting for a chat. Article in the paper this morning, and I've heard talk about these things on other radio stations, Anthony Ploversen has written in the papers this morning. Australian le boo boo fans who are splurging hundreds or even thousand dollars thousands on the fluffy toys are going to extreme lengths to protect their precious cargo by ensuring them before heading overseas. The global la boo boo craze has taken the nation by storm, with their toothy grins seen everywhere, dangling from handbags and perched on bedroom bookcases and office desks. Nearly one in four Australians said they would take out travel insurance to protect their laboo boos, according to a new report from travel insurance provider passport card I struggle to believe that one in four people who are traveling are going to take out insurance on something that they voluntarily dangle from a bag. So, for those who don't know what a laboo boo doll is and it's the spelling of it is lab you be you, So yeah, just la booboo lab you be you and all in one word as well, all they are is it's think of think of troll dolls. Remember troll dolls as a thing from the past, those little dolls that had sort of a grin and the orange or whatever color it was, spiky hair back in the nineteen eighties they really took off. This is sort of the equivalent now. But all it is is it's it's just a fuzzy outfit like a skin like a bear skin or a rabbit skin or something around a face. It's just a little like a mini troll doll, but there's a face. They're fluffy, and they've got ears on top like a rabbit, like bunny ears, and they're just little dolls. And whoever invented them was smart enough to get onto a couple of influences and get them to hang them off their Vasacei bags and high end fashion stuff, and which has made them very popular and trendy. So of course, people like Sheep following the flock have decided that la boo boo is the thing. But they cost hundreds or a hundred plus to get a la booboo, And so now the thing is, and there's some that are collectible, more collectible than others. So people are just going nuts spending a fortune on these things. And I just don't get it aither you. Most standard labooboos retail between fifty and one hundred and fifty dollars for a doll, a little doll that hangs off your school bag or your Vasaci handbag, if you're that rich. It is simply a waste of money. And it's a trend, and I just don't understand.
Speaker 7: I'm on, you've got one, haven't you. I'm sure I saw attached to your jacket there.
Speaker 6: I didn't even get into.
Speaker 45: I have.
Speaker 6: Somewhere at home. I think i've got one. What are those other ones? Pop somethings in a cardboard box with a wide head on a little body. And they've got doctor Who ones, They've got Harry Potter one's and stuff. I've got a Blues brother one. I think that one of my kids got me. So that's because I love the Blues Brothers. But I've never got into those either.
Speaker 7: I've seen them in there as you say the little box yeahs on their faces.
Speaker 6: I just don't get it. People pay, you know, like fifty dollars as a starting thing. I wouldn't pay ten. It's sort of looks like a beanie kid with ears. That's probably the best way to describe it, isn't it. Remember Beanie Beanie bears?
Speaker 7: No, I don't remember the Beanie bears.
Speaker 6: Yeah, beanie bears. If you google Beanie bears, and people at home willing to do the same, if you've got your phone nearby whilst you're lying in bed trying to keep warm. Beanie bears. If you look those up, they're very similar in look, except just take out the face and put a more human looking face on it and you'll be said anyway, I just don't get it.
Speaker 7: Sorry, So look at that forty two thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: The top.
Speaker 7: Yes, expensive beanie babies.
Speaker 27: Yeah.
Speaker 6: See that's crazy too, my gosh, because all these things are collectible for a while and then the collectibility drops off. So I'm having discussions with my son about his Pokemon card obsession at the moment as well. But who am I to speak because I have an entire collection of street directory So who am I to say anything. All right, let's get to some calls. Mark is in stall? How are you Mark?
Speaker 30: Uh? At least Malway never breaks down.
Speaker 6: That is true?
Speaker 23: Yes, and that never gets to flap fat tree. It's always where you can't find it.
Speaker 29: It's always just had arms breach.
Speaker 6: Yeah, mine's under the driver.
Speaker 29: Anyway. Anyway, Oh, this is nice as the our and live and government to give the farmers a good heads up on one condition. Your rights must be paid in Well, guess what most came from only take quarter installments?
Speaker 6: Ah, okay, well that's a problem.
Speaker 29: The rights will never be fully paid.
Speaker 6: Well a bit of a fery, Well I would Yeah, I don't know the story, of course, because I don't care about politics, But would it not be the case that, like, if your installments are up to date? Surely that was never mentioned the way I've read it. Yes, but we know the way you read it might be slightly biased.
Speaker 48: No, your rates must be paying full timorously the grant. Yeah, if you're paying quarterly installments, he rates up.
Speaker 6: Fully paid until the until the third until the fourth payment has gone through. So you're only fully paid effectively for one quarter of the year.
Speaker 29: And guess what happens It only lasts twelve months, and guess what happens at the end of twelve months, what you miss out because it's only running for twelve months. Fantastic, what a great idea.
Speaker 6: Well, I guess though, if the if you haven't paid your it's like, I understand where you're coming from, but I guess there has to be a line somewhere, and and we need clarification on whether on whether, as as you have read it, whether the entire rates need to be paid up in full up front before you can get assistance, or or whether it's just that you know you have to be on time with your payments one way or the other. But you know if if they go the other way and say, oh, it doesn't matter if you haven't paid your rates, We're just going to give you money. Well, if you're not paid your rates, then if you're not paying your taxes effectively, then why would the why would the government give you money back? But look at it's and it's it's it's more complex than that. I'm trying to simplify it and probably shouldn't, but look, it's a it's a point you've raised, and if anyone has the answer, I'd love to know what else is doing. It's good on your mate, thank you, take care of cheers, got on your mark a break after and Peter, you'll be up neck. Just had a lovely message during the break sent to me via social media through Facebook Messenger from Stephen Morning Stephen hope all is well. And Stephen was talking about earlier in the morning. I think it was earlier this morning, we were talking about social media, and briefly within some conversation I can't even I can barely even remember the context, but I did say something along the lines of what you see on people's social media accounts is not a true reflection. It's you know, generally, what you see on people's social media accounts is the highlight, the carefully edited or you know, the best picture out of all the pictures that were taken, or that snapshot of you know, you've been to a restaurant or something, nothing about the train trip in where you were feeling miserable or depressed or whatever. Here I am happy in a restaurant with my meal sitting and there's that. You see people's highlights, you don't, so it's not a real portrayal of people's lives that you see on social media, and Steven's just sent me a message about that. I didn't have time to listen to it all. But Stephen does make a very good point that I wasn't even saying that was the bad side of social media. I was just saying just social media isn't isn't the bee all an end? Or don't look at everyone else's social media and think that your life is less perfect because there's a seemingly perfect But Stephen makes a very good point that social media for many people is an absolute lifeline and it can be a wonderful thing, and that's true. There's I've always thought it's when you think about when you retire, When people retire and you know you've been working all these years, and then some people just really struggle with having nothing to do, and you wake up in the morning and go, what's my purpose today? What can I do today? Well, for me, I know I could sit and watch like I'm a Robin Williams fan. I've often spoken about that there are thirty thousand different clips of Robin Williams on the Internet that I could sit and watch for hours and just marvel at his genius. There's YouTube, there's more stuff goes up on YouTube than we could ever possibly watch in a day. So there's so much stuff. If you've got a favorite movie actor, if you've got a favorite person you admire, there's just the Internet is a wonderful place for it. And so there is a great positive in what is available on the internet. It has there there's a lot of negatives as well, but there are some great positives. So good point, Stephen. I do appreciate that. That's lovely. Arthur's in West Footscray.
Speaker 34: Good Arthur, Good morning, Simon and Jay. First of all, Happy birthday of Jay for tomorrow. And it's Tony McManus's on Friday or thirteen.
Speaker 6: Yes, only a week or so from today.
Speaker 30: Yes, I think anyway, you know you said you got the directories?
Speaker 26: I do?
Speaker 34: Would you will leave? My chiefs burnt out? You can hardly get them. I'm still carrying directory for backup, but anyway, can I leave?
Speaker 9: Here?
Speaker 34: Were located to nominate two songs with songs in English and another language. Yes, yes, please do yes so Wooden Heart by Elvis Presley in French and English. And there was another artist, Nina Cherry, which sang seven seconds African French and English.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's true. What a good song that was too, Yeah.
Speaker 34: A good dance version of in the King Street nightclubs as well. I forgot that artist because I leant it off the other DJ. But yeah, Nina Cherry, So there the nations. I heard your talking about them earlier on, so I thought it would be the right time to nominate those two.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm going to bring that up. I haven't officially launched it as a topic, but I was going to bring it up just either after I've chatted to you guys, or or just after the next break. But yeah, let's let's throw that in now because today is the birthday of Freddy Fender, who was born in nineteen thirty seven. Wow, that was a while ago, but he had a huge hit in nineteen seventy five with Before the Next Tear Dropped Falls. So we might play that out of the next break because it does contain two languages. I still can't recall off the top of my head what the other language was, but we'll play that. But yes, so let's launch that as a topic now. If people want to give us a buzz one double three eight eighty two or one double three six nine three songs that are in two languages, and they're two ripper ones. Arthur that you've just come up with. Thank you, no worries. Good on your Arthur. Talk again soon. Take care mate, cheers Simon's in Colic. Good a, Simon, Good morning, Simon ear Yeah, yeah, good.
Speaker 49: Well, singing that Mark said yesterday as a steel sanger and remember back, yeah, a friend of their friend family. I both more cup and a little smoke.
Speaker 37: Film up this.
Speaker 6: The line's a bit fuzzy. So he was filling something up and he was filling up a petrol tank and he lit a smoke, did he?
Speaker 37: And there's more cups on me? We should know here you go?
Speaker 29: How are you?
Speaker 38: Is he gonna blow me up?
Speaker 9: And everybody else?
Speaker 6: Yeah, because the fumes are flammable.
Speaker 37: Yes, he said more legged than that, but they this really run off.
Speaker 6: That's bloody dangerous. I still get paranoid, Simon, when I'm filling up the car with petrol and my mobile rings in my pocket, I get I still get paranoid about that. But I don't know how many times ever in the world a mobile phone has blown up a car that's been filling up with petrol at a service station. But because they've got those warning stickers, they're saying no mobile devices. I'm paranoid about it, and the sort of screws, Oh yeah, the battery's on him. You plug it into charge at home and off it goes. Actually, my robot vacuum cleaner died the other day, the base station for it. So I gave it to a friend of mine who's an electronics repairment, and he pulled the thing out and showed me on the little powerboard, the little power circuit board, one little element on it had shortened out and blown. But then he showed me the inside of the plastic casing that it was housed in, and it was black scorched, And I thought, that robot that that charges the robot vacuum when it finishes its round. It comes out at five o'clock each day, vacuums my house and then goes back onto its dock, and that's when the thing activates. I'm not usually home. How dangerous is that that the thing shorted out and scorched the plastic when I wasn't even home. I'm lucky that it didn't burn the place down. Yeah, we've got to be careful with this technology that we've got hanging around our houses now.
Speaker 31: Yeah, yeah, okay, rights, all all.
Speaker 6: Right, good on assignment. Thank you for that. Let's get break number two for the hour out of the way, and then on the other side, we'll play Freddy Fender before the next tear drop falls, and then calls if anything you want to chat about. But i'd love your calls with songs that have verses or choruses in two languages. One double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. It's twenty eight to five if you're in Melbourne, if you're in Perth, it's twenty eight to three, and if you're in Adelaide it is two minutes after four. One double three six nine three and one double three eight eighty two are the numbers if you want to give us a buzz anything you want to chat about. But as I've just said, oh if you've just waken up, good morning to you. But I'm looking for songs that have two languages. So let's we rarely ever played a full song here, but we're going to play one Freddy Fender with his fabulous song from nineteen seventy five before the next tear drop falls.
Speaker 3: If he brings you happy names, then I wish you both of them. It's your happy name that matters most of all. But if he ever breaks your heart, if the teudra yost, I'll be there before the next dear drop fall.
Speaker 4: See the gear.
Speaker 21: The further.
Speaker 4: Heather, fairly see the le Let's say go.
Speaker 3: Lomaspoeno filos do.
Speaker 4: Better see there, say your.
Speaker 3: I mean made where this outler yes by Contiguando pez this.
Speaker 1: I'll be there any time.
Speaker 29: You need me.
Speaker 43: By your side, to drive away abby, to draw that you cry.
Speaker 3: And if he ever leaves you blue, just remember I love you, and I'll be there. Be bre the nest dear drop fall, and I'll be there before the next dear drop fall.
Speaker 6: What a great song. I love that version by Freddy Finder that was the big hit in nineteen seventy five. According to Wikipedia, the song had been recorded about two dozen times before that by different artists including Dwayne de Jerry. Lee Lewis also had a hit with it, and Linda Martel had hits with it, well, not not huge hits with it, but they had previously recorded it. But Freddie Fender with that great version. There a bilingual song, and that's what we're after on one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two or anything else you want to chat about. Jim's in West Footscray.
Speaker 9: Hi Jim, Hi Simon, Hi Jay. That's my favorite version of that song. But he has another big hit. I don't think he's no longer with us?
Speaker 14: Is he?
Speaker 9: Breddy Fender?
Speaker 6: I know he would have passed away a few years ago.
Speaker 9: I would have thought, I'll have made a couple of songs. But before that, earlier you played a song by the Mentors anything, and you mentioned Live It Up, which was always my favorite song. But didn't they change their names later on to just the Mentals or was that another group?
Speaker 6: No, I think the Mentals was just sort of a nickname for them. I don't think they ever changed the name, but they're just commonly referred to as are the Mentals? Yeah?
Speaker 23: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Are they still together? I haven't heard nothing from them for a long time.
Speaker 6: Well, Greedy Smith was the lead singer, and he sadly passed away far too young, So I don't know if the band sort of continued on without him, or whether they'd done what most bands do and split up at some point, and then you know, years later get back together like Crowded House and all of those. Yeah, I don't know whether Mental is Anything still here we go. After twenty seven years of playing its brand of party rock to the world, Mental as Anything remains one of Australia's premiere live acts. Yeah, most of the original group members left during the two thousands. Greedy Smith died of on December on the second of December twenty nineteen, age sixty three, after a heart attack, But it doesn't explain whether they're still definitely going or not.
Speaker 9: Okay, anyway, the nominations old mention. I think it's me with the ninety nine book Balluonci have the English version in the full German version, but yeah, if you want the songs with part another language demos Russos. I think it was my friend the Win when he speaks part when he sings in English and in part Greek, but none of Muscouri. I think it was never on Sunday. Maybe when she speaks Greek too, or maybe I've got the song long most she sings one song in half English and half Greek.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, they're great ones. My friend the Wind I can't remember like I remember the song but I can't remember lyrically, I don't recall sort of hearing it in two languages. But I'm not not that I'm doubting you. I'm just saying it's been a long time since i've heard the song. But they have great examples. Jim marvelous stuff.
Speaker 9: But as I said, I'm not sure if it's my friend the Win, but I think it is where he sings part of it in Greek, or it could be another song. And then again, if you want another group, the German group Craft Were. They sang some of their songs in German and English as well.
Speaker 6: As in both bilingually, so that there's the two languages in one song, or just two.
Speaker 9: Recordings where they sang some in English and German and some in full German and full English.
Speaker 6: Wonderful.
Speaker 9: Tony Moclair would know, because I've heard Tony mentioned kraft Work a long time. I had their albums a long time ago, but I haven't played them for a long time. I've still got them here, but I haven't played them for a very long time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it could be time to drag me out and give them another spin on the old on the old platter, good on your Jim, thank you for the call. Great suggestions. B anchors in Adelaide, Hibi anchor.
Speaker 36: Hello, Simon is yes it is?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 36: Uh huh oh Martino? Stu in French?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Stu?
Speaker 18: Was it?
Speaker 17: Did you say no?
Speaker 36: Oh Martino?
Speaker 6: Oh Martino? But what was The song.
Speaker 36: Still still goes Still though you break my heart, I love you still Okay? It sings it beautifully in French and I've only got the English version myself came out on a non an lp EP yes, with four songs on it.
Speaker 6: Wonderful El Martin know what a great voice he had too.
Speaker 36: And how about how marta ai terra the land of the long, allow, long White?
Speaker 27: Oh?
Speaker 6: Is that the New Zealand national anthem.
Speaker 19: Is?
Speaker 36: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yes, oh, I hadn't thought about that, but yes, that's that's a that's a ripper too, fabulous. Yeah, good on your Bianca. Thank you for those.
Speaker 36: If you could find still in French, it'd be beautiful.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, I'll get you to have a look.
Speaker 36: Also sings more than the greatest love the world has known.
Speaker 6: Yeah. El Martino had quite a few hits. I can't think off the top of my head, but but yeah, a very popular singer al Martino, But we'll see if we can find al Martino singing still, and if we can, we might play a bit of it out of the next break. Thanks Bianca, Beverly's in double vue, Hi Beverly, Okay, Saha, whatever will be will be? Doris? Are you a Doris Daye or Normy row Fan?
Speaker 44: I don't say. When I was a child, I learned it playing your piano. But it's good advice as well.
Speaker 29: It is whatever.
Speaker 44: Yeah, there's another one. Do you know that one?
Speaker 18: No?
Speaker 44: It's beyond and sung by Connie Francis, and it's actually very She says her love is beyond the stars and beyond life itself, and it makes me realize, well, she's not actually singing about a person, is she.
Speaker 6: Connie Francis another great singer he has gone by.
Speaker 44: I mean there's one. She sings it in one version where it's all in Italian and then the other when it's half and half. So you know, I can't tell you which ones. Which is a beautiful song though, Yes, he's got a beautiful voice, Connie Francis, haven't you?
Speaker 39: Yes?
Speaker 6: She has?
Speaker 24: Yes?
Speaker 6: Was she related to someone else who was famous? Somewhere in my head. I'm thinking that Connie Francis was married to or was the sister of someone famous. I'm probably wrong. I don't know why I do this sometimes say things and then realize I don't know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 44: Oh, yes, I do that quite often. No, I don't know. I also I love her version of love as many splendid things as.
Speaker 6: Well a beautiful song too.
Speaker 44: Yeah yeah, yes, she actually managed to reach the high note at the end. Yeah, you're talking about YouTube. Actually, I love listening to music on YouTube.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 29: Yeah.
Speaker 44: And also they very kindly they give me what they call my mix. They put together all the all the things are my favorite things, and they so I can just have this to them. So I suppose it's like a player list that they put according to what I've been listening to over about fifteen years.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So you just press play and it just when it finishes, it goes onto another one on your list.
Speaker 50: Yeah yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 44: So well, in other words, to ask you what exactly is an influencer, it's, I guess the.
Speaker 6: Best way to describe it in this day and age with social media, it's somebody who has a lot of followers. So like, if you've got to. If you have a social media channel on just on Instagram or something, and you put up a lot of pictures of yourself, you know, at an opening night or whatever, or reviewing your product or something, if you've got a lot of people who follow you and want to watch your videos, then that's very attractive to businesses. If you've got one hundred thousand people who look at everything you do, then you're an influencer because if you say, hey, look at this new Biro from Big and then people rush out and buy the new Biro because you have said it's good, that makes you an influencer.
Speaker 44: What about people on Twitter? They have a lot of followers, are they also influencers?
Speaker 45: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I guess so. Yes. It's sort of the term loosely covers anyone who effectively has influence over others.
Speaker 44: So yeah, okay, all right, very interesting. I often wondered what it meant.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well that's that's basically yeah, that's that's a very sort of simple overview of it. Yeah, it's it's as influencer, basically, somebody who has influence to you to encourage others.
Speaker 44: So yeah, I encourage cats. Does that make me an influencer?
Speaker 6: In the cat world probably.
Speaker 44: Or two of them. Influencer of two.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, yeah, so you're probably not going to get any product sponsorships off that, but never.
Speaker 18: Mind cats maybe oh yeah yeah, true yeah, go.
Speaker 6: Onto whiskers and see what they say. All right, lovely to chatty you beverly, okay, take care, cheers, a break back with more of it, calls, Julian's there so is vern and Jimmy with you all soon?
Speaker 4: Oh you pull my heart.
Speaker 23: Over far.
Speaker 16: Ah, love you.
Speaker 1: After all this time?
Speaker 5: You're too long my mind.
Speaker 6: The beautiful voice of El Martella, El Martino, Yes, the beautiful voice of Al Martino. There with still back to your calls in just a sec A couple of quick text messages I want to read out before they disappear off the screen. Songs that are in two languages, says Agent seven eight one. Any song that James Rain sings. That's very funny, very funny. Indeed, thank you a song in two languages, which is an anthem. The New Zealand national anthem is in Maori and English. Thank you, Steve in Sydney, Agent seven eight one, again being very funny. This morning, my wife asked me to whisper dirty things into where here, So I whispered kitchen, bathroom and living room. But enjoying listening to you, Simon, Thank you, wondering if you could explain why the overnight hosts rarely tell us the time Ross and Russ tell us every ten minutes. Thanks, thank you, Agent five oh seven. Now, the reason for that simply is because this particular program is heard across three states four if you include southern New South Wales, but we're in three different time zone. So at the moment, I can tell you it's ten to five in Melbourne, but we're also on air in Perth where it's ten to three, and we're also on in Adelaide, which is twenty past four. So as you have just heard, it takes me a moment to think about that. So I don't do time calls as often as I would if we were just in one time zone, because it's just hard when you're up all night. But I do try and do them from time to time, just to keep everyone reasonably well informed. But that's why it's just a little difficult, and if we do that out of every ad break, it just becomes repetitive and uninteresting to do. So, but thank you for the query. I hope that, hopefully that answers a question for you. Julian's in Armadale morning, Julian.
Speaker 23: Morely, don't forget the great Dean Martin used to sing a more different languages. To Dean Martin, of course, was a rich descent name Dino Rochetti or was which was this correct name?
Speaker 39: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yes, no, that's a great example.
Speaker 23: Yes, did he ever come to Australia.
Speaker 6: Oh did Dean Martin ever come to Australia? I don't know. Jerry Lewis did, of course on many occasions. But did Dino. I honestly couldn't tell you.
Speaker 23: Show you about that. Of course, the great opera stars of the world, they all have to are part of their training and performance, have to speak many different languages, like Pararotti when the things in this on dorma.
Speaker 6: Yes, I wonder how many of them learn the subtleties of the language or how any and can therefore just perform it in the language, or whether they just learn it by you know, they listen closely and just repeat what they're hearing the hearing.
Speaker 23: I don't know about that. Now we've got a very very famous operator from my school who's gone internationally famous from Corfield Grammar. If we want your neighbor, she's famous around the world. Her name is Helena Dix. She comes from Corfield Grammar in the nineteen nineties. Internationally, a speak star in opera comes from Melbourne. Have you heard of her?
Speaker 6: I can't say I have. But I'm not an opera buff, so I'm not a good measure for that.
Speaker 23: But you've got to have a taste for opera, of course, don't you.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm not that way inclined to I don't lean toward opera. I appreciate that it's an art form and it requires a great deal of talent, but it's just not to my ear.
Speaker 23: Yeah, because I also mentioned that in the old days of radio that many of the radio stars that came from the theater had to sing on the air.
Speaker 6: Ah, yes, well that was a very common thing. There was a lot of crossover with radio and vaudeville, so and a lot of those vaudevillians stars used to of course sing do comedy routines, and that's right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 37: Do you continue?
Speaker 23: Can you remember the old radio stars from the recordings that were theater people.
Speaker 6: Well, probably the best one is. Jack o'hagen is the first one that comes to my mind, who was a great advertising man as well as being a theater performer and a radio star and a singer. Not only did he do you know songs like Along the Road to gunder Guy and our Don Bradman, but he also was a host here in the in the at the very beginning of three a W. He was actually on air on three a W opening night.
Speaker 23: Who else can you think of? Mine? Came from the from the from on the air. That was a professional singer.
Speaker 6: Uh well, Dennis Walter is a professional singer.
Speaker 23: That's good question, that's yes.
Speaker 6: I'm coming more into the present now, of course. But Mike Brady was another. But Jack Davey released a song or two in his time as well, and of course Bob Dyer. Jack Davey and Bob Dyer in their time were nationally famous radio personalities and huge stars in their own right. And Bob Dyer, of course was a singer. He used to do country music country.
Speaker 26: Member.
Speaker 6: You're very good on that, yes, but it was it wasn't wasn't just sort of straight country music as we think of country music. It was hillbilly, that's right. He was a hillbilly musician.
Speaker 23: Yes about stain Dusty, of course, but he didn't do radio, did he.
Speaker 19: No.
Speaker 6: I don't think Slim ever hosted a radio show that I'm aware of it. Not to say he didn't, but I'm just not aware.
Speaker 23: Of course. The Australian comedian who was very vulgar who tried to sing but didn't was Worn Mo.
Speaker 6: Yes, and well Roy Reen's a great example of a vaudevillian performer who did wonders on radio as well. And no matter which name you want to call him, Moe mcacky or Roy Reen or Harry Vandersloos his actual real name.
Speaker 23: Yes, at high pitched voice, Bill Paw giving them any picky of Mo. One column was said in the paper that Mo would have been very good on TV and radio. Mo would have succeeded on TV. But Mo died before TV. Do you think that Moe would have made it on television?
Speaker 6: I think so, yes, because he had a very expressive face as well. Just to look at photos of him would have been wonderful. Julian, we must have. We've got to get this last break in before news, but lovely chat as always, News is coming up now Julian just mentioned Helena Dix and I said, I don't think I know the name. I did feel familiar, and I googled. I interviewed her back in twenty seventeen and she was bloody funny. I have to say.
Speaker 24: Now, this is Australia Urban Eyes with Simon Owas by.
Speaker 6: A bag of balloons.
Speaker 19: With the money, we've gone set them free at the break of dawn to one by one.
Speaker 7: They were young.
Speaker 19: Backup base Box in the software flash the message somethings are there floating the summer's going.
Speaker 1: Ninety nine red balloons.
Speaker 6: Go by, no, no, no, no, Jane. This is the English language version. This is ninety nine Red Balloons by Nina. She's singing in English.
Speaker 7: That's a question.
Speaker 6: Have a listened. I have listened to what she's singing. There's a bit more of an instrumental, but yeahs you just opened them with the English language. So this was the bit that this is the one that was never really heard on radio in this country back in the eighties. No, bring it up and have a listen, because she started singing there at.
Speaker 1: Sex ninety nine.
Speaker 5: Sma scout.
Speaker 6: That's see, that's the version I hate.
Speaker 7: Yeah, God, forgotten. I love ball the album.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, no, we'll get rid of that. We need to delete that from the system. Yeah, scrap that one. No, No, ninety nine Looft Balloons was the big hit. I had a I've just told you the story during news, but I had a victory over Cole's Radio, who I listened to when I want a bit of music radio. I often listened to Cole's Radio because oddly enough it's it's the best, it's the best music station in the country.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 6: When I listened to that, they used to play ninety nine Red Balloons. And I contacted them and said, no that, no one in no one in Australia ever listened to ninety nine Red Balloons. They needed ninety nine Looft Balloons, the German language version because that was the hit. So yeah, and so they changed it. So that was that was That was how I saved Cole's Radio. And what about it? That's the one, that's the one.
Speaker 7: That's lawlessn.
Speaker 43: There we go.
Speaker 6: So that's the proper one. I hope you were joining up. We've played that. Good morning to you if you've just joined us. It's ten a half to five in Melbourne, ten after three in the Perth. Oh well, Perth have left us now, haven't they. They're into money news now. It's twenty to five in Adelaide. So good morning to you all if you've just woken up and joined us. Simon Owen's in the chair for Tony McManus again this morning, but Tony has assured us he'll be back on deck at midnight Melbourne time tonight eleven thirty Adelaide time. So you've just got Jay and myself for this last half hour. The reason we're playing that the other songs in two languages is because that's the topic we were discussing in the last half hour, and you're welcome to contribute to it as well. If you choose to continue on with that tropic songs that contain two languages in them, you can call about it anything else though. In the a few remaining minutes we've got VN has called from Talgon Morning Vain.
Speaker 20: Good morning again, Simon and Jay.
Speaker 23: I've got for you.
Speaker 20: Elvis Presley Wooden Heart.
Speaker 6: Yes that's a great and.
Speaker 20: The singing done. But I'll call to tell you something. I went to the doctor yesterday. I had all these spots on me back and doctor said, oh, uh, there be nine, and I said, no, you got it wrong.
Speaker 29: I looked in the mirror.
Speaker 20: I careded ten.
Speaker 6: That's very good, Vern, I've not heard that before. There be nine, No, there'll be ten. Yes, that's very good.
Speaker 20: Okay, Oh you bokes have a good sleep when you go home.
Speaker 6: But I'd love to, but I've made other plans. But very kind of you to suggest it, Thank you, Vern. I've got so. In three hours from now, there'll be a mechanic at my house starting my car, hopefully replacing the starto motor on them. You think Peter's in Adelaide?
Speaker 38: Good I Peter, Good morning, Simon?
Speaker 23: How a you?
Speaker 27: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Good things?
Speaker 51: Right now? I do a segment with Oh sorry, hello to Jay too. I do a segment with Tony, but I'm doing it now because I've got an issue which I have to attend to tomorrow morning. But it's an essay NFL Privy, which means that.
Speaker 6: Now I know we did it last last excuse me. Yeah, the throats just a little dry, that's all.
Speaker 51: Yeah, you need some water now, tiny is the Norwood man. I'll get into that because we've got to split round. The weather's going to be terrible like in Melbourne. I heard your web before casts rain, rain, rain, but we do need it now. First of all, on Saturday, the seventh Eagles versus the Central District at Woodville, Morntem. Central would comprehensively beaten by my team Sturt. Last week Eagles had a shock loss at Prospect to North Adelaide at home, the Eagles under the line of nineteen and a half points. The next game is also at Saturday, South Adelaide versus Adelaide Crows at nor Longer Megan Stadium and monkeypping Adelaide to smash South for old South haven't won the premiership since nineteen sixty four.
Speaker 6: They're having a shock in year as well.
Speaker 51: Apparently they are, and they were beaten comprehensively by the Tigers formalg last week. The next one he's on Sunday. We've got two games Saturday, two games Sunday. In the final game Monday, Port Adelaide Magpies versus West Saturdays. West was smashed by Norwood Richmond last week and Port Adelaide, giving a few fruits from the mini draft, Port will be too strong and West He's unfortunately have had to allow their coach to have some time off for privacy reasons, so port well and truly over the line at nineteen and a half. The other game should be a beauty at Strata Rama Glenelg Glenelg versus North Adelaide. Both teams would winners last week. Gromel currently equal second or maybe second on the ladder behind the Mighty.
Speaker 23: Double Blues at home.
Speaker 51: Glenelg should be too strong, but North Adelaide much improved under their new coach. Glenelg over the line nineteen Now the match of the round in my opinion is Sturt Nord at Onley Thomas Farms Oval. It's Tony's team versus my team. Do you have a team Simon Well.
Speaker 6: I'd have to jump on board with Sturt given their undefeated. Not a huge foot all fan myself, I must say, But if I'm going to jump on board the SA NFL, I'm going to go stirt right now.
Speaker 51: Well, you know they say you've got to have a loss. Well, last year we won thirteen in a row and loss of two finals. This year we've won eight in It's unheard of twenty one mine a round victories in the road of the Mighty Double blues. We've got a food and wine festival at Only next Monday, starting at eleven am.
Speaker 42: A kick.
Speaker 51: We're calling it a kick and Sip. It'll be near Do on the Oval in Trimmer Parade and all welcome. We're hoping, despite the web, to get over five thousand. My heart says stert, my head says stirred under the mind. Nor it must win to stay in contention. And thanks for your.
Speaker 6: Time, my pleasure ed, and good on your Peter for keeping everyone up to date with what's happening in the SA NFL. You look forward to that segment on a weekly basis, usually on a Thursday morning with Tony. At about this time, we'll break. We'll come back with more of your calls. One double three six ninety three or one double three a wilder perth of God. I don't need to give one double three eight to eighty two. Now one double three six nine and three give us a buzz. Nothing like hearing two songs at once. What's just happened there for people wondering. They've recently changed the throwback system for this program, so all credits are supposed to be recorded with no background, so music plays and then the cold voice goes over the top, not in that particular instance, but we still got the message anyway. And speaking of messages, everyone's talking about the end of the financial year, but at nature B they're also talking about how you can have better health for the rest of the year.
Speaker 42: Hello, Jeff, Gooday Simon, Well, today I want to make an invitation to your listeners. If you're feeling run down, lacking an energy, feeling a little bit secondhand, then I invite you to try the nature Be invitation power pollen offer. I'll tell you about that shortly.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So, what makes power pollen different from other supplements, Jeff, Because there's so many out there, power pollen special Why?
Speaker 42: Well, it's natural.
Speaker 27: It's a food.
Speaker 42: It's not a drug or medicine. It's jam pack full of goodness. And plus, our unique potentiation process unlocks the power of pollen, making all the nutrients by available. It's Nature's perfect food. And this is what really counts. It's the benefits more natural energy, stronger immunity, better sleep, improved digestion, and even laser focus.
Speaker 6: Sounds like a great boost, of course, especially as we're heading we're now into winter. Now, what's your offer today? For the listeners.
Speaker 42: Jeff, Well, here's the invitation.
Speaker 25: Today.
Speaker 42: You can buy a thirty day supply of nature B Power Pollen for just thirty nine ninety five plus delivery, and I'll give you another thirty days for free. That's enough for you and your partner to experience the benefits. And remember it comes with a risk free money back guarantee.
Speaker 6: So what's the best way for listeners to get in touch to take up that great offer? Jeff?
Speaker 42: Jump online to naturebe dot com. That's nature b with two e's or call us on one eight hundred one four seven double ow nine. Do it today. You won't be disappointed.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, natureb dot com nutrition to believe in. Thanks Jeff, and let's get back to your calls now on one double three six nine three. Paul is in Bensdale. Hi, Paul, how are you? Yeah? Good?
Speaker 37: Simon?
Speaker 52: Yeah, just talking about nature Bee.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 52: I'm a customer. I was traveling down with a work mate a little while ago. There he had sleep. I give him two of those that fitted him right up and got him over the line.
Speaker 6: Oh nice. Well that's a that's good result, good reviews, that work good.
Speaker 52: I was talking about Vernon ringing before from traving. Yeah, yeah, I was born in mault A thurday sies on Burns back now, which two out of the thurday of fighting? Sorry, so again there's thirteen flies on Burn's the thurday in the fighting.
Speaker 6: There's two thirteen flies on Vern's back. Which two out of the thirteen are fighting. I don't know.
Speaker 52: It's two an areen.
Speaker 6: Oh that's marvelous. Good I get Thank you, Paul. I appreciate that. Thank you. Now we've got to break very shortly and then my time will be over here at Australia overnight. Tony McManus will be back with you tomorrow or later tonight, I should say, for as midnight hits in Melbourne and eleven thirty in Adelaide, it'll be Tony McManus back in his rightful chair. So that's something to look forward to. Thank you to all the text messages as well, plastic bertrand play and POURMOI. I think that wasn't in two languages. I think it was all just in whatever language the well French, I think it was. Wasn't it that one song's in two different languages? Waterloo by Abba I don't remember that being in two laguages. Clearly you'd be right, I'd be wrong. But thank you for all of those and the other text messages I've come through as well.
Speaker 50: Before we go, Rory, and I'd like to leave you with a little something to think about, a little philosophy exactly. So I'm going to read you something from the Book of Wisdom. It says here a wise man once said he that lives not well one year sorrows seven after or whatever that means.
Speaker 35: I know exactly what's he talking about. He's an idiot, exactly. Please respect me in the morning. Am I reading from the book of idiots? I don't know what's happening.
Speaker 4: Don't talk about me when I'm gone.
Speaker 3: And if you like it, then, buddy, you know the things you say will be turned against yourself something.
Speaker 4: Don't talk about me when I'm gone, Goodbye, goodbye. Now I'm on my way and I don't care what you say here.
Speaker 34: I'm going home, so.
Speaker 6: Respect me.
Speaker 4: Ye, Joe discuss me.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 4: It's not nice, Chris, So I hate something down there.
Speaker 1: Joe talk where I'm going.
Speaker 6: Well, that's it, as I say. Training mc manus will be back in his rightful chair when the show recommences eleven thirty tonight Adelaide Time and midnight tonight on Melbourne Time. Thank you Jay for all you've done.
Speaker 7: Thank you Simon.
Speaker 6: It's great. It's been good fun filling in for the last week while Tony has been a little on the unwell side. I'll be back on Hang on, What's today is? I'll be back on Saturday night for three aw listeners from my show at eight o'clock on Saturday. Angelina Jolie, Happy fiftieth birthday today, and if your arthritis is playing up a little bit this morning, it is your age. Sally Boyden has published photos online of her sixtieth birthday. Doesn't that make you feel old? Good morning to you all, and thank you for the pleasure of your company.