S1: Happy Friday everyone. Welcome to the Continuous Call Team daily podcast. Adam Haws with you. And today I'm joined by columnist for The Australian Andrew Webster. G'day.
S2: G'day, horsie.
S1: Wow. What a game we saw last night at Commbank Stadium was billed as a grand final preview. I'll tell you if that's the grand final. I'm happy because it was such an exciting spectacle. You didn't need 12 tries. It was three. Try match 126 for the Roosters over the Panthers. Very enjoyable.
S2: It was gritty. It was one for the purists. It's where defense actually, uh, dominated attack. For a lot of it. It was um it was it had certainly had that feeling of, of finals football and, you know, uh, you know, people sort of doubting, uh, Penrith without Isaiah. Yo. And it's going to be interesting to see how the season plays out for for Penrith without him. Um, but I just thought people have underestimated what James Tedesco does for that team and for them to the Roosters to to to win without you know their their fullback from whom so much of their halves play off the back of I, I just think it was uh it was a pretty impressive performance from uh, from the chooks.
S1: Well, especially given the background between both teams. It was 12 wins out of 13 for the Roosters going for the Panthers going into that match. So the Roosters that's an incredible performance including from the oldest bloke on the field, Daly Cherry-Evans. Why is he leaving the NRL to go to the Super League. He's he's killing it.
S2: What a story. Don't you reckon DC is is now the biggest story in this Premiership race. He has to be 37. He's missed it. You know what. What. You could count on one hand how many games he's missed in the last couple of years. Um as you said 37. He has brought the finish and the polish to the Roosters attack since joining them a year ago. Everyone was bagging the hell out of the Roosters. I'm pretty sure you're one of them because you like to bag things. He, uh, he he. Everyone's saying what? You know, he's old. He's past it, you know? Why would you sign, uh, DCE and he showed last night exactly why the rooster did get him. Um, I'm not surprised that he's signed with, uh, with Hull FC. It's, uh, it's been talked about, uh, at the Roosters for a while, but I think he'll go over there and then come back as an assistant coach, and they see him as being part of the Roosters furniture for for some time to come. Like, as I said, he, you know, Walker's been great. Walker's been was great in origin and he deserves as much money as he can squeeze out of his next deal with the Roosters. But let's not underestimate, uh, the the Cherry-Evans ability to get them over the line, not just last night, but throughout the, throughout the season. So it's some story heading into the finals.
S1: So we're saying he's going to do a Cronk. He's going to do what Cooper Cronk did. Came to the Roosters. He was the missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle. He gets him over the line as Cooper Cronk, did. You seeing that happening?
S2: Well, that's that was the comparisons that were made last year. And people were laughing at it and going, well, you know, Cherry Evans is no is no Cooper Cronk. And now it's all turning out again. Baggers like you. I hope you've got your tail between your legs and you've got your apology.
S1: I'm a huge Roosters rooster man. No, not.
S2: Not. You're a paramedic. What are you talking about?
S1: Mate, we're not going to. Good, eh? Um. It's very DCE. He could possibly start his career with a premiership 2011 at manly and then finish with a premiership at the Roosters 2026. That's very.
S2: Good. Bookend it. He could. He could bookend it.
S1: But is there.
S2: A little I mean let's let's get let's get fair dinkum. Like you know he's he deserves to be remembered regardless of what happens this year. But you know, if a premiership would be the, you know, the icing on the cake. But you know, he's second only to Cameron Smith in terms of games played. He's uh captained Queensland to origin series victories, including in 2020 when they were dubbed the worst team ever. Um, you know, I'm not saying it should be the next immortal, but let's, you know, he's a much maligned character, Cherry Evans. And, you know, I've been critical of him at times as well. Uh, but he, he took, he, he deserves, you know, the, all the credit he gets at the moment for, for what he's done in the game.
S1: He sure does. Uh, is there a little dark cloud hanging over Bondi Junction, though, with, uh, Sam Walker putting contract talks on hold until the end of the season? What's your mail there?
S2: Uh, well, it's a really interesting one in the sense that I don't think this was necessarily driven by his management. The calls I've made to the Roosters in the last couple of days to get to the bottom of this is it's, um, it that it was basically Sam Walker who said, I want to put this off until after the season and get the deal done before November 1st. So there was no indication at all that they want to go to market on November 1st. When, when, when Walker can talk to other clubs. I don't think there's a bit of a fear at the Roosters that the Broncos might be sniffing around. He's obviously a Queenslander and was part of that system before he left and came to, uh, to to Bondi Junction. It um, well, Bondi or Moorpark or wherever you want to say they're based out of. I know I said Bondi Junction.
S1: I said Bondi Junction, we always say Bondi.
S2: Did you say Bondi Junction?
S1: Yeah. I set the tone.
S2: Because that's where their legs club is isn't it? Yeah. But now it's more park anyway.
S1: Well clarify.
S2: That. What were we talking about? Oh that's right. Um um uh I, as I understand it, the, the offer is a lot more than a little bit more than what's been reported. It's actually one point for a year or so. What's that 5.6 over over four years. So it's good coin. I think the risk is with Sam Walker putting off contract or getting signing the deal now and getting it done before the finals. Like if you know, if they get if they tank, if he has a shocker in the first couple of weeks of the final series, then there's a view among some of the roosters that he's value certainly, uh, decreases. So, um, you know, good on Sam Walker for backing himself. I suppose the point is, if he leads him to the comp alongside DCE, what's he asking? $2 million a year. He could be. He's he's price goes up. So it's an interesting dynamic.
S1: Yeah. Why would there be any reservations about his form in the finals. I think he's shown this year he's he can make the step up. I thought he was outstanding for Queensland State of Origin. If they won that series he wins the Wally Lewis medal. So I don't know why there'd be any doubts over his capacity to step up.
S2: I'm not saying.
S1: That finals footy. What are you.
S2: Saying? I didn't say that. I did say listen to what I say, for God's sake. I said, if he doesn't go well in the finals, then his price goes down. Jesus. Jesus beating things up. He's the old hack. The old Sunday Telegraph hack just comes out.
S1: You've started the ashes early, mate. Um. What about. Yeah.
S2: Good, good.
S1: You got some news?
S2: How dare you?
S1: You got some news on Hudson Young as well, because, uh, this would be unbearable for any Raiders fan if he ended up with the Perth Bears or something, because he is their best player.
S2: I don't think he'll end up at the Perth Bears. I, I, I would be surprised. To be honest, if he doesn't end up at the at the PNG Chiefs. Um, I was surprised at how, um, uh, what's the best way to describe this? How. Matter of fact, the Canberra Raiders were about, uh, the interest from the Chiefs in Hudson Young. Uh, they're sitting down with his manager, Sam Ayoub, in the next week or so. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders gave him a a ten day window like we've seen with Toto, like we've seen with, with other players, um, to negotiate with the Chiefs. I think they're of the opinion like other clubs that if the Chiefs are coming for one of their players, that they can't compete with it because of the tax free incentives. So we might as well rip the band aid off now and get the get, get it over and done with. Um, you know, Hudson Young is what 28 almost 29. He's he'll be coming off an Achilles uh, serious Achilles injury that's got him sidelined at the moment. Uh, this is the you know, when, when when the Chiefs got Brian Totto earlier in the week. Penrith were okay with it because they know that they can't hold on to their big name players. And as they've shown over the last 4 or 5 years, they've got the junior system in place to be able to replace those players. But Canberra aren't that club. They you know, they they are always up against it just by virtue of where they're located. They can't they struggle with Sydney clubs. They they struggle with the Roosters or the Broncos because they just don't have um they don't just don't have the third parties available to, to, to retain, uh, their best players. So, um, I think they're being pragmatic about it. Canberra and I will be surprised if um, if Hudson Young stays, to be honest, but, um, you know, there's a lot of water to go under the bridge first. We'll see what happens.
S1: Yeah. Well Michael Chalmers is doing a great job up there for the Chiefs. He needs to sign some forwards. So Hudson Young would be a good start. He also needs some young players at some stage. Uh they're all they're all 30 or plus aren't they.
S2: Well that's right. We said this on Monday, the over 30 cop P and G. That's how they're going to start their campaign playing in the 30s. Yeah. Well exactly. But you know you say that chambers has done a good job and Michael has he's getting bashed up a little bit. Um they're saying, you know, they've got this all these tax free incentives to lure these players, but they've also got to be smart enough and savvy enough. Both him and Liam Mayhew, the recruitment, uh, manager up there to identify who they want and where to get them. And, uh, it's going to be interesting, though, once November 1st strikes just how much who they feel the rest of the squad up with.
S1: Well, hopefully.
S2: Yeah. But I think that's the plan down the track. I don't think you can just go and pull them out of the the PNG competition and put them in the NRL team. I know you got the hunters there but it's like you need you know you it's going to they're going to have to get other players, younger players from the NRL, uh, ecosystem.
S1: When we when you were wined and dined by the Telegraph and the Herald and the Australian throughout your career. I mean, did you go and tour the facilities? I did find that surprising that Brian Tahoe made his decision, you know, a massive decision in his career without actually checking where he was going.
S2: Yeah. When buzz got me over to The Telegraph in 2009, that's exactly what we did. We strolled the corridors of at Holt Street, then. No, we went to the Aurora hotel across the road and got drunk in the tab section.
S1: Yeah. And I did.
S2: It and I went and I, and I'm sorry, this I digress and buzz goes, I don't want to talk money at the start, you know, of the night and then by the fifth schooner, how much is it going to cost.
S1: You? Scribbling.
S2: Scribbling stuff. Yeah, that was it. Yeah, yeah. And then I woke up the next morning and said, buzz, what did we discuss last night? Um. Uh, no. Yeah, it is funny. There's not much you can really see in PNG, I think. I think when they took Louie up there the first time, they showed him a hole in the ground where the, where the centre of excellence was going to be. So, um, I hopefully they, they'll progress from there. And again, I do find it a bit funny where the chiefs say that, you know, they're coming here for the vision and they're coming for a belief in something new. And I get all that. But let's get fair dinkum. It's the money. It's the tax free money.
S1: Yep, yep. I remember when Jarome Luai signed. He actually didn't even admit that either. He said oh it's a chance to be part of something new and all this and but it's the cash. Come on. What about Parramatta mate? Um. Jim Sorrentino's, CEO since 2019, the eels are targeting someone new to take over. Tell us about.
S2: It. That's right. Matt Cameron, the, uh, the CEO of, uh, of Penrith. Uh, just on Jim Sorrentino's. My nickname for Jim is real because if you called him to. Are you sacking Brad Arthur? He's just like the wall. The wall, just the forward defence. You couldn't get anything past, uh, Jimmy. God love him. Um, and he's done a good job at Parramatta, you have to say. I know people will sort of think that they're divided on what his legacy is. They did make a grand final and you did take over in pretty dire circumstances at, uh, at Parramatta. Mate. I wouldn't, there wouldn't be an NRL, NRL club that wouldn't want Matt Cameron. Um uh what he's done at Penrith and the system that he's set up, uh, alongside Phil Gould many years ago has sustained that success for premierships, five grand finals, um, you know, uh, and up to their eyeballs in this year's premiership as well. So Matt Cameron is considered one of the one of the smartest football operators in the game. I, I know Parramatta might be interested in him. I've actually said this to Peter V'landys. You know what I would do? I'd go and throw the chequebook at Matt Cameron and make him the definitive head of football at the NRL. He's the man. He understands the game on the field. He understands the cap. He understands clubland. He is um he is one of the, uh, the smartest operators I think I've ever dealt with in this game. I'd be making him a definitive head of football because that's what the NRL needs. That's what they need. They need. They need someone to take control of the cap, someone to take control of third parties, of player agents of of referees and the on field product. And I think Matt Cameron would be perfect for that role.
S1: Take control of journalists like yourself. No more negative comments. Uh, um.
S2: He could be the media cop. He could be the media cop.
S1: Can you can you can you let me try?
S2: Can he can try.
S1: Baby, you'll be gagged one day. Can you, um, at least let Parramatta have a crack at him first before you siphon him off to the NRL? He did start at Parramatta. Parramatta. Don't forget.
S2: That. I'm. I'm aware. I'm aware, I'm aware. But, uh, I don't know. I don't I can't see them. I can't see him walking away from Penrith at um at the moment.
S1: Yeah. He's very good. He doesn't he doesn't crave the limelight.
S2: If he doesn't at all he, he that's what I love about Matty. He's, uh, he's just, uh, he just gets in and gets it done. And the proof has been there for all to see with what Penrith have done in the last few years.
S1: Okay. Now, I heard recently that the NRL had gone cool on acquiring the Super League, but apparently that's back on the table. Any info on that?
S2: Uh, yeah. Well, I think the, the, the, uh, Super League clubs, uh, discussed it last night and I think they come back in two weeks with, uh, with what the, uh, what they want. Um, it's 60 million over five years from the NRL. I, I know some in the Super League think that's too light. I think others understand exactly, uh, where the Super League is. I'm all for it. I think the most important thing is less to do with the equity that, that the NRL want to um uh want to want to buy into it in super League. But and more, certainly more about them running the Super League. That's what they need. You talk to people in the Super League. That's what they need. They need they need some direction. Uh and you know Peter V'landys and the NRL have shown that they're pretty good at running the game of rugby league. Given what's happened in the last few years. Uh, I think it's a smart idea because the game I'm not big on global round. I think it's, uh. It's a bit gibberish, to be honest. Um, I like Vegas. It's a good start to the year. Uh, I don't think we're going to crack the American market, but it provides so much impetus for the for the start of the NRL season. But you, uh, if you had a strong super League, the transfer of players to. And from there, I know Cherry Evans is going over to Hull. Um, you I think that's I think that could only be a healthy thing. I don't think we want, uh, English football to wither on the vine and the NRL taking control of of the Super League and running it can only be a good thing.
S1: Yeah. And look, we should celebrate if it happens with the World Club Challenge, like 1997. Bring over Wakefield and Bradford. Remember those glory days? The all English clubs made the finals without winning a game. It was just brilliant. We loved it.
S2: I tell you what. Well, on that on that note. Right on that note though. Right. Remember when you when we were we were kids and you're, you're, you know, significantly older than I am. Um, it's just look at our heads. No. When we were kids like those Challenge Cup finals were something to get up and watch in the middle of the night. Definitely they're not. They don't hold that prestige like they used to. And you want to get English football back to that that, um, that gravitas like I remember. And English football is fantastic. I went to a Warrington game a few years ago and it just, uh, it was such a, it's a vibe as the kids say.
S1: Yeah.
S2: Sterling vibe.
S1: Sterling v Kenny, 1995 at Wembley. It was brilliant. That's right. Yeah, yeah. Uh, Webby, have yourself a great weekend and, uh, wonderful job today. Probably your best, I'd say of the year.
S2: The best of the year.
S1: Yeah. And well done with the paint job. Yeah, yeah.
S2: It's. You like.
S1: That? Yeah. Not bad. Okay. There he is.
S2: Andrew Webster and matches and matches. Matches my mood dark.
S1: Check out his column in the weekend. Australians must read material. Uh, thank you for tuning in to the continuous call team daily all week. Have a great weekend. You can catch us on Instagram and YouTube and I'll see you Monday.