S1: G'day. Welcome to the offload on this Monday I'm James Willis, joined by Josh Morris and journalist Andrew Webster from The Australian. We've got there's plenty to get through after round two. Some big headlines out of the weekend, some teams struggling already, others setting the way. James good to see you mate. Firstly, I want to start with Friday night. Alex Johnston incredible. Broke the all time try scoring record surpassing Ken Irvine after decades and pretty special scenes. And you were amongst it because you were on the sideline.
S2: Yeah I was it was a amazing scenes. I was sidelined for that. And um, just to see the fans reacting the way they did, I mean they, the NRL came out and said that they were going to find everyone who jumped over the fence. And within 30s there was 5000 people on the field. It was such a crazy experience. I had people coming up to me trying to steal my mic and had to shoo a couple of them away, almost had to tackle a couple of blokes coming up. to me, they were a bit aggressive, but, uh, no, it was, uh, and and to. It would have been, um, probably a travesty if he got it this week against um, the Tigers up in Central Coast, there would have been probably 5000 people there. So to do it in a sold out Allianz Stadium, as they were the visiting team on the scoreboard with all that little, uh, sidelines to the book of feuds, it was just a wonderful spectacle. And congratulations to, uh, to AJ and I'll always remember where I was when he scored the winning, uh, the, the try to take over.
S1: Ken Irvine Yeah, special scenes and Webby, the unfortunate thing, I think for Souths was it kind of cost them momentum. Although, you know, in the end they made a lot of silly errors in that second half. Um, what have you what did you make of it? Wayne Bennett's reaction was interesting in the press conference as well. And of course there's a bit of drama out of it. As Josh mentioned, given the rivalry between these two teams.
S3: Um, one, it was exactly the type of scene that we forecast on this very podcast a week ago. Just how it would be an amazing moment for the game. And that's exactly what it was. I do find it hilarious that both South Sydney in the NRL of like putting it all over their socials and saying the same thing, even though they specifically said not to do it. Um, so they should have leaned into it in the first place. There's still a bit of drama out of it. So the whole visiting team, uh, that the, this what I love about the Souths Roosters rivalry, they're so petty. It's so childish. We got prime ministers and billionaires and Hollywood actors, and they're all just basic, uh, rugby league bogans, like the the rest of us. Giving it to each other. But apparently the NRL. I'm not. Apparently they are investigating why the Roosters called it visiting team. Not, uh, not putting South Sydney because it's a breach of the rules. It's a breach of the rules.
S2: Let it go. It's it just adds it just adds to the the feud doesn't it? It does, it makes, it makes it more interesting and sarasil get their turn when they play at a stadium they want. That's not their home ground. Allianz isn't their home ground.
S3: It's ours. Put stickers all over Allianz every time they go saying South is our home ground. So as I said, the the pettiness between the two clubs is it's a thing of beauty.
S1: Is anyone going to be fined? No one will be fine. Will they?
S3: I'll tell you what happened. One one guy has, um, uh, went early. One guy jumped. It went after the first try and got held down on the ground. I know this.
S1: Right.
S2: That's right. He did too.
S3: I thought we were supposed to run on. I thought we were supposed to be on it. Apparently, there's another two fans who ran onto the field, but then have been charged with assault. Because they are. Because they belted up the security guards.
S2: So, yeah, one one happened right in front of me, actually, when there was a, a young fella with a, um, a his camera phone on and was baiting a security guard and swearing and getting up in his face. And the security guard went to tackle him. And then he tried to punch the security guard. And then after that, he got swarmed on and got taken away. So there were a couple of people that ruined it. Um, and they got dealt with, which is what you want to see.
S1: Yeah. Special scenes overall though. And of course, the Prime Minister was one of the people that made the walk onto the field and was interviewed after the game as well. Hey, uh, out of the weekend, before we talk about some of the positives, there are a couple of teams and coaches as part of that that are probably under pressure already. Webby, I'm keen to get your thoughts firstly on Manley, then zero from two to start the year. Very disappointing against the Knights at the weekend who played the second half without their two star players.
S3: Yeah, not good signs is it. I mean the drums have been beating about Anthony Seibold for, you know almost since he arrived at Brookvale, but particularly towards the end of last year, whether whether Manley decided to pull the trigger on him or not. I can't see him lasting. If they keep performing like they did at Brookvale for Pines on a. On a Sunday afternoon they had it all there. They had the two. The Newcastle two best players sidelined in the first half with injury. If they're not ripe for a victory then I don't know, James. I'm more interested in what you think about it. Like like that's a team that that should be your top eight teams shouldn't it? With that, the quality that they've got in that team.
S2: They do have quality. But one thing they have lost is a lot of experience. You can't undervalue the the the loss of um Daly Cherry-Evans. Like the way he got them around the park for the last ten years. And then someone like Josh alloy as well. He was a, a, a figure in that forward pack as well. Um, and for me, look Jake, he played, I think he played something like 68 minutes or something and only had five runs as well. So there's probably a couple of players out there that need to do a bit more in terms of their senior players. You can't just try and hope that Tommy Turbo has a good game and can win it by himself, because he he can't do that at this stage of his career anymore. He needs help. He needs people to lean on, and I just don't think they have that at the moment. And the fact that they've been beaten twice at home to start the season and like you said, they lost Dylan Brown and Kalyn Ponga, who were absolutely electric in that first half. It's worrying signs for manly.
S3: Uh, the the thing that really interests me is like, I mean, last year, so much of it was put down to the the drama around Jerry Evans and whether, you know, there was all this talk about a split in the player ranks, about the players not liking the coach and being off off Anthony Seibold. There's no excuses now. You know, there's no excuses. Whatever. Whatever animosity was towards Tony Mestrov, the former CEO. Like that's that's no longer a factor. Whether it was a factor in the first place or not. So they don't really have any other excuses but to to be winning games of football and certainly not losing games like they did, uh, yesterday afternoon.
S1: And Josh, three of the Queensland sides are yet to win a game. The Broncos the Cowboys and the Titans. So a disappointing start for them.
S2: Yeah you wouldn't think that the Broncos would have gone oh and two to start the season. But purely off the back of the way that they've been uh completing and holding onto the ball. They haven't respected it at all. And um, they got themselves out to a very comfortable lead against the eels, but then it's almost like they put the cue in the rack and just thought that they'd breezed through it. And you can't afford to do that in this day and age in the NRL and with the six agains and the momentum, uh, switches. And I'm happy for Parramatta that they uh, they went up there and got the win. Obviously with what happened in round one against um against the storm. Jason Ryles would have liked to have seen a better performance and they had to come from behind to win. So it would have been very happy there. I gotta switch the game off yesterday. Halfway through the Dolphins and Titans game because it was a drop a thon. And if they're going to play like that for the rest of the year, they won't feature in the in the finals. Like I, I think the Dolphins have got the team to play finals football, but at the moment they just the teams that are struggling at the start of this year, it all comes down to their ball possession and and their completion rate. And yeah that that's probably the main reason why they're not winning. And look I do feel a little bit sorry for the Cowboys. Um in round one. Uh they lost uh Braden Burns in the last ten minutes and they ended up losing the game from there on. And then, uh, I think it was Kai O'Donnell got sinbinned and it was, it was a soft sin binning. Like you could have just said, rightio. Give it, give it six, uh, six again or a penalty. I didn't think it deserved to go to the bin. And then from that position, uh, the tyre gets kicked on with it in the first half. And by first half the game was pretty much over. So I do feel a little bit sorry, uh, for, for Todd Payten in that instance, but he's got to start winning games because he is probably the other coach that's under the most pressure this year.
S1: Yeah, absolutely. And that is the thing. Todd Payten coming off a disappointing season last year. And they've got a pretty good roster. Webby with a lot of representative players, both Queensland and Australian players.
S3: I don't know what's happened at the Cowboys. I mean, Todd Payten was coach of the year a few years ago. And um, I was in Vegas. I like Todd. There's something about him. He's I like the directness of the way that he speaks publicly. And he's very open, honest guy from from what it looks like on the outside looking in. I heard a great story in in Vegas about Todd Payten, about how he went to the board and, and, and pitched so strongly for Tom Dearden to go to that club. I think people sort of forget when Tom Dearden left the Broncos, he was damaged goods and people thought, you know, at the age of 22, he had lived up to the next Allan Langer tag, which is ridiculous in itself. But, um, you know, Todd Payten really came out swinging for Tom to come to that club and he's turned into, as we all know, you know, one of the best sevens, if not the best on his on his day in the competition played for Queensland in Australia. So um you know I'd like it. I don't really know what the better option is than Todd Payten up there. Uh there's Ben. Oh, I remember calling. I called him last year saying, is it right to, you know, that that you got fronted by some of your senior players about your coaching style? And he said, I did, and I took it on board and I was receptive to it. But for whatever reason, it's not sort of, uh, it's not resulting in, in, in, in victories. And if, if, again, like Anthony Seibold, if, if they don't start putting some victories together, then he's got to be under enormous pressure if he isn't already.
S1: Hey, Josh, uh, on the podcast last week, you had a bit to say about the rule change and how you thought it had played out in round one. I'm keen for an update from you on whether you think it's settled down a little bit. There's a lot of points scored at the weekend and a lot of teams winning by 40 plus as well.
S2: And even the coaches don't know.
S3: Was that a pin drop?
S2: It was. That was a pin drop. Even the coaches don't know. Like Craig Fitzgibbon is still bemused with it. Like he he he didn't realize like the Jesse Ramian one. And I think we're going to see like if you just make any contact at all, it's going to be a penalty. Like there's some. Sometimes there needs to be a bit of common sense added to the rules. And we saw a couple of times there. There was one with Dylan Edwards where he just got hit on the legs as he was making the catch. Now that wasn't a genuine attempt at getting the ball. Jessie Raymond kind of wasn't really looking and then made contact. He was he was kind of looking up in the air and he gets penalized for that. And I think there's still frustration from the coaches. I think a couple of them over the weekend were still unclear on on the rules. And and with the six agains, we're seeing still seeing plenty of six agains. And I was speaking to Debbie about this just before we went on on air. I almost think that the interchange bench needs to go back to ten, like with the the speed of the game and the way we're seeing it and the fatigue and these blowout scores, like we we dropped from 12 to 10 to speed up the game and, and increase fatigue so we could see more football. than we went down from 10 to 8 for the same reason. But now we've introduced these six again and introduced them from 20m out. Now they're just giving six away again all the time. And I don't say this very often, but I feel sorry for the middle forwards. Yeah. Your hook is your your front rowers, your back rowers because most of the teams, when they get the six again, they don't shift the ball unless they're inside the attacking team's 20. Like they go straight back through the middle of the field. These middles are having to make a lot more tackles under a lot more fatigue. And you know, we brought in this extra player for hire. But if we maybe go back to ten substitutions we're going to see a bit less fatigue winners, see some better contact and better wrestle. And we might be able to slow these rucks down again and get to a speed where we're not going to see all these six again's happening. So I, I just think at the moment, again, the game's too fast. You look at the Panthers and the Cronulla game like there weren't as many in that game And the Panthers, they've only conceded six points. So they're doing something right. I don't know what it is, but I think teams should be watching what they're doing in defense because obviously it's working for them and no one else at the moment. But I just think with the way that the game has sped up, like it needs to be taken into consideration that we look at maybe going back to ten, ten players, uh, substitutions.
S1: Yeah. Where we are, I'm noticing just teams are rolling through other teams very, very quickly. Like it's momentum from one end to the other. And as Josh just said, there'd be an argument. And the thing is, there is a bit of policy on the run here. So if they figure out by round four, it's not working and the scorelines look like they are now, they could always shift. The administration has shown they can do that well.
S3: They did well. They rushed through all these changes and.
S2: They didn't get rid of the line drop out rule.
S3: No, that's that's fine. But I mean, you know, they they like the, the changes to the to the six to go's coming from, you know, the penalty, not being rewarded within the from 20m out. Um you know that dropped on Boxing Day that edict to clubs so they can quickly change it that way and they can change it back. The number one complaint from all the former players and coaches that I speak to, uh, at the moment is just the, the, the set restarts and just how it's, it's, it's tipped the balance too far one way. So at some point you think the NRL are going to have to listen to all those stakeholders and think that you know, it's um it's too much.
S1: Uh meanwhile there's a discussion about the finals potentially having a shake up, the biggest in the games 118 year history with a potential ten team playoff series instead of eight. Just now, I feel like we hear this story every couple of years. They've spoken about conferences before. They've spoken about different finals. Series are in principle. And keep in mind, we've got two new teams coming into the competition. How do you like the idea? Do you like the idea of a ten team finals. Or if it's not broke, don't fix it.
S2: Oh yeah, I'm a bit. If it's if it's not broke, don't fix it. But what I will say is the season needs to be shorter as well. Like if we're going to have 20 teams, let's just play every team once and then get into finals. You can you can have a little break for origin if you want. You stick origin in the middle and play that over, you know, 2 or 3 weeks and then and then that'll lengthen the season out a little bit. But we've got to, you know, fit in international football at the end of the year. I just think there's so much football being played at the moment. Let's get the season length right before we change the final series.
S3: I think that's definitely what Peter V'landys has. I've talked to him about it. He he likes that idea. A 20 team competition where they play each other once, um, with a big, uh, origin slash international, uh, window in the middle and also at the end of the year. But that's still a long way off. But in terms of ten teams, even if it's a 2010 competition, well, if it rewards mediocrity, like just.
S2: Yeah, well, you're going to see you're going to see the teams that are ninth and 10th get flogged in the first week anyway, aren't you?
S3: And it's like, but it's it again. And I know I say it every time on this podcast. All these decisions are about the TV deal. It's all about trying to monetize the game even further when you know at some point you're going to dilute it.
S2: Can you imagine if the if they had the ninth and 10th position for the last ten years, the Tigers would have been sweet.
S3: There you.
S1: Go. Well, last year the Dolphins, the Dolphins and Manly finished two points outside of the top eight with 12 wins and 12 losses. Yeah. So they would have they would have snuck into the finals and played. I don't know. The Sharks and Warriors in week one.
S2: Would that mean that the the teams that come first and second of the week off potentially.
S1: Oh yeah. I, I don't know I'm not sure. But I think the current system is great and it's far better than the old system where it was 1V8, 2V7 and all that sort of stuff. Hey, just before we go, what's happening with Bronson? Uh, Sherry and the Bulldogs. Webby, what are you hearing about this?
S3: Oh, look, I don't think it's as dire as some have, uh, have have, uh, painted it, but it's certainly not all rainbows and unicorns at Belmore for Bronson Cherry. I think the way it's been explained to me this morning by someone is pretty high up at Canterbury, is he's just not happy about the positional shift. I think it's it's a done deal that he won't be given a contract extension. So um he hasn't but but look who's taking his place at left centre. I mean in all fairness to Bronson Cherry he's done well since he's come back. But Canterbury don't necessarily owe him anything. He's uh he's um I thought the giveaway was his, um his stand in manager because he's, uh, his new manager is suspended at the moment saying, you know, you got to fight for your position. That gave it all away to me.
S1: Yeah. Jameis, what do you make of it as a former Bulldog?
S2: Ah, look, it's it's a tough one because, you know, the Bulldogs gave him gave him the shot when no one else wanted to. And Bulldogs fans don't forget that either. Like, if he goes and asks for a release after they've given him a shot. And to me, like he had four years out of the game, like you would have thought he would have built up a bit of resilience, having to play a different side of the field and cracking the shits about it. I, I don't get there's no resilience there. And if you did get dropped to to reserve grade, well then show some resilience, put in good performances and get back in the team. Like I just think these days players, when they, they just expect to be first graders. And if you you're not, you're still a professional athlete. If you get dropped, don't kick stones. The jersey isn't yours. It doesn't like yesterday they had your name on it in Vegas, but it doesn't for for most of the year. It's not. Your name's not on the back of the jersey. It's not your jersey. You have to perform. And if Cameron doesn't think he's performed well, then that's fair enough. He gets put down, he gets he he kicks stones. But you get over it. You go down there, you play the best you possibly can and you get yourself back in the side off your performances. So I just think he needs to do that. Too often we see kids, um, you know, get dropped and then straight away they're not happy. They speak to their managers, they agitate for a release. And I just I can't cop that. I really can't like you've got to show a bit of resilience, a bit of character, go through the tough times. Right? And like I said, he's gone through tough times before. So I, I want to see him stay in the Bulldogs jersey. I think he's a great player. But um yeah, we'll have to see. Wait and see because a lot can happen in rugby league boys.
S1: That's it. We're out of time. Thank you. We'll catch you next Monday on the show.
S3: Thanks, boys.
S2: Thank you.
S1: Josh Morris and Andrew Webster joining us there. Make sure you subscribe to the Continuous Call team through your podcast channels. We're also on YouTube and Instagram. We'll see you next time.