S1: From the newsrooms of the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. This is the morning edition. I'm Samantha Cylinder Morris. It's Tuesday, March 4th. A meeting of world leaders is ordinarily a state affair, with much hand-shaking head nodding and talk of friendship. But not this one. American President Donald Trump browbeat and humiliated Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in the Oval Office on Friday, during an extraordinary scene that played out in front of the world's media. But after Zelensky left the white House, he attended a critical summit in London with European leaders who have sworn to support him and Ukraine and draft a new peace plan today. Europe correspondent Rob Harris on the so-called coalition of the willing that British Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has proposed, and whether it might be enough to protect Ukraine and the rest of Europe from Russian aggression. So first off, Rob, we are all still talking about that extraordinary press conference in the Oval Office between Vladimir Zelensky and Donald Trump. So can you just briefly take us through what happened there?
S2: Well, yes. This was Vladimir Zelensky's first visit to the white House since Donald Trump came to power earlier this year. And things have been, well, a little tense of late. I think that might be an understatement. It seems like an eternity ago, but it was less than two weeks ago where Donald Trump referred to Zelensky as the dictator without elections. He blamed him for starting the war. That all seemed to have died down a bit the day before British Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer was in the Oval Office, and Trump was asked whether he still believes Zelensky was a dictator. And he said did I say that? I can't imagine I said that. So we thought then maybe things might be okay. And it was all a bit of show.
S3: Well, thank you very much. It's an honor to have President Zelensky of Ukraine.
S2: They talked for about 40 minutes, and then all of a sudden JD Vance, the vice president, basically started laying into Zelensky.
S4: And the path to prosperity is maybe engaging in diplomacy.
S5: What kind of diplomacy? JD, you are speaking about what what do you what do you what do you mean?
S4: I'm talking about the kind of diplomacy that's going to end the destruction of your country.
S5: Yes, but.
S4: Mr. President, Mr. president, with respect, I think it's disrespectful for you to come into the Oval Office and try to litigate this in front of the American media. Right now, you guys are going around.
S2: Complained that he hadn't showed enough appreciation. Zelensky, who looked pretty tired. And, you know, obviously English isn't his first language. I think it might be his sort of third or fourth got a little bit of a back up and he sort of snapped back at JD Vance. Trump then intervened.
S5: Beginning of the war.
S3: You're not in a good position. You don't have the cards right now with us. You start having cards.
S2: Playing cards basically said you're a you know, you're endangering the world for World War three. And and it all broke down from there. I don't think I've seen anything in my life like it.
S3: Disrespectful to the country. This country that's backed you far more than a lot of people said they should have.
S4: Have you said thank you once the entire meeting? No.
S2: And it really shocked the world. And I think, God, I think I've used that phrase about 3 or 4 times in the past couple of weeks. But, but but it did shock the world.
S3: All right. I think we've seen enough. What do you think? What's this.
S6: Negotiation?
S3: This is going to be great television. I will say that.
UU: All right. We'll see what we can do about it. Thank you sir.
S1: And so tell us, why was Vladimir Zelensky actually there? Like, what was the purpose of the meeting? Well, of.
S2: Course he's been at war for I mean, you know, Ukraine's been at war with Russia for 11 years, and it's been three years since the full scale invasion. Trump has promised to to get a peace deal to end the war. He promised that before the election. Zelensky has for a number of months said he's willing to make a number of concessions to Russia, including territory for this to happen. But a couple of weeks ago, Trump announced the start of peace talks and the US went ahead with Russia in Saudi Arabia without Ukraine. This really upset the Ukrainians. It also upset a lot of Europeans that the idea that Ukraine might not be at the table for this peace deal, and that Trump and Putin might end up doing a deal between them and Ukraine would have to cough up with it. Zelensky expressed a bit of frustration with that. And finally, after a lot of lobbying from Emmanuel Macron, the president of France, and Keir Starmer, the British Prime Minister. Zelenskyy was there to to sort that out and to also sort out this minerals deal, which we've heard a lot about. We still don't know a lot of details about, but um, but that seems to be very much the key of what Donald Trump wants as well.
S1: And can you take us through just briefly what this, you know, potential minerals deal was because, of course, we know that Trump was after $500 billion worth. I think it was of raw minerals. Well that's.
S2: Right. Look, I mean, the Americans and well, the MAGA people, the Trump administration believe that they've given a lot of money to Ukraine over the past three years, and they haven't got anything back as part of getting some of that money back. They want to go into partnership with Ukraine to sort of develop rare earth and raw materials like lithium and cobalt and nickel, and the US wanted to basically get about half of it and basically ensure that American investment American know how and technology went into Ukraine to really help the country rebuild and kick start its economy post war.
S1: Okay. And so after this, I guess what's now going down as a legendary meeting of Volodymyr Zelensky flew to where you are, which is in London.
S7: The motorcade swept past cheering crowds on Whitehall, through the gates of Downing Street and straight into a friendly embrace with the Prime Minister. A hug. A handshake. The contrast couldn't be more stark.
S1: The reception he was given, there was sort of very, very different to what happened there in the Oval Office. So tell us about that.
S2: Obviously, Friday's events were huge, but I think the past two weeks in general, J.D. Vance's speech in Munich are the decision for Trump to open peace talks with Putin have really jolted Europe in a way, it hasn't been jolted for a long, long time. And I think Friday was sort of the icing on the cake. Keir Starmer hit the phones, got a lot of support from European leaders, including the NATO leader Mark Rutte. Ursula von der Leyen at the European Commission. They're now planning basically not only for their own security, but for Ukraine's security to go ahead alone.
S1: And so let's get to that, because one idea that emerged on Sunday was for the creation of a new so-called European Coalition of the willing. So tell us about this. What would this be and how would it help Ukraine?
S2: Yeah, that's right. I guess when people hear the phrase coalition of the willing, they think back to Iraq and Afghanistan after nine over 11. But this is very much, I guess, France and Britain going it alone.
S8: A hastily called summit at what Britain's prime minister calls a pivotal moment.
S9: We are at a crossroads in history today. This is not a moment for more talk. It's time to act.
S2: They're willing to propose, at this stage, a one month truce in the air and by sea, and also protecting critical infrastructure such as the energy grid in return for some sort of peace deal. Now, this won't include troops on the ground, which we've heard a lot of from Keir Starmer and even Emmanuel Macron. That won't be at the the first phase that would be at a sort of second.
S9: Phase is prepared to back this with boots on the ground and planes in the air together with others. Europe must do the heavy lifting.
S1: We'll be right back. So, Rob, can you tell us more about this so-called coalition of the willing? Like, how would this actually work? I mean, is it using the NATO pact? Wouldn't Russia have to agree to it? And wouldn't the U.S. actually have to be involved?
S2: Well, that's right. And this is why it's so hard to to predict. Basically we're in we're in rare territory. For the past 80 years, Europe has basically been able to be reassured that the US would come to its would come to its our at a time of need. Of course, that we had the NATO pact where there are 32 members of NATO, most of them in Europe. Obviously America and obviously Canada, they have article five, which means if any one of them are attacked, then all the others would come and support them. This is a framework that that has been relied upon for a long time, and now it's up in the air. So what Europe feels like is it's important to show that it is prepared to do it alone, and that it can show America. And Donald Trump, who has campaigned on ending the war, certainly doesn't want to send any US troops anywhere. They want to show the Americans that they are willing to stand up for their own security. Keir Starmer announced he would boost the GDP ratio of defence spending. Emmanuel Macron has said tonight he thinks every European country countries should be sending 3 to 3.5% of GDP. So really, a lot of this will be trying to placate Donald Trump's criticisms that he's had for a long time, that Europe has underspent underinvested and relied too heavily on America to come to its safety. He thinks it's got themselves into this mess with Russia, and it can get itself out of it.
S1: And so are we really talking about like a brand new security agreement then?
S2: Well, Frederick Mertz, he is the likely new chancellor of Germany. Now, the night he won the election, he got up and said, what we've seen in the past week is that we can no longer rely on United States. We really have to step by step, go it alone and become independent from America. He also flagged that within the months to come, there's a NATO conference in June, I think, in The Hague. He sort of said NATO might not exist by then, and we might have to draw up a new security framework for Europe that doesn't involve America. Now, Macron and Starmer have both gone and seen Donald Trump in the past week, and they've reiterated today that none of this can happen without some sort of American backstop, is what Starmer is calling it now. We think American know how will have to be involved, but they don't want to carry the can themselves. They certainly don't want to lead, and they want Europe to stand on their own two feet.
S10: And so would this.
S1: New level of support from European leaders. Would it actually be enough to fight off Russia without U.S. support?
S11: Well, it's a good question.
S2: And I guess it has been pointed out a number of times in the past, you know, few months that Russia is obviously a very big nation with a big army, but in three years it's really become bogged down in Ukraine and hasn't progressed a lot. Now, inch by inch, it has, um, it is bigger, it is mightier than Ukraine. But Ukraine has obviously done some incredible fighting. Now people point to that saying, well, if they can't. They promise to take Kyiv in three days. They haven't got anywhere near it in three years. How much of a threat are they? Actually? But it is important to remember they have as many nuclear weapons as the US. And I guess a lot of this concern around a ceasefire goes to the fact that it might give Vladimir Putin time to rearm, replenish stocks, replenish his troops, and it might give them the chance to sort of reassess the whole situation and open up a new front. So Europe has a lot of money. It has a big population. But Donald Trump has been criticized fairly for a lot of things. But he was probably correct in his first term where he did say that Europe has underspent, it has not taken control of the situation. And I think people like Emmanuel Macron in France have been saying for a long time, you know, Europe really needs to wake up. It's in grave danger unless it's prepared to stand on its own feet, prepared to rearm, replenish its own stocks, and really take control.
S1: And finally, Rob, what happens with Ukraine's relationship with the United States from here?
S2: Well, it's a really good question. Um, there is a school of thought that, you know, was this perhaps a trap? Did Donald Trump and JD Vance set up Zelensky to to play for their own audience? Was Zelensky in on the trap to maybe jolt Europe into action? Was it real? And I think, you know, Donald Trump has a reality TV background. We all saw he actually said, this is great television. This is a rivalry or a relationship that goes back way back to 2019, when Donald Trump appeared to pressure Zelensky when he was a newly elected president. In a phone call, he called him and and basically asked him to investigate Joe Biden and Joe Biden's son, who had a business investment with a Ukrainian energy company. Now, Trump then allegedly withheld military aid because Zelensky didn't agree to do this as leverage. And, of course, when a whistleblower came to light, the House of Representatives voted to impeach Trump. There's been a number of stories saying that Trump really blames a lot of his problems in the first term on Zelensky and on Ukraine. So this is personal. Every one of Zelensky's friends, from Keir Starmer to Emmanuel Macron to Mark Rutte to NATO, are urging him to make up and make nice with Trump to apologize. He has said he doesn't think Friday's incident is a roadblock towards getting a peace deal, is a roadblock in their relationship. Hasn't apologized, but he's reiterated his support to to the US a number of times. He's been skeptical that Europe can help on its own, he thinks. He needs the US support, but he's hopeful he can get there.
S1: Well, thank you so much, Rob, for your time.
S11: No worries.
S1: Today's episode of The Morning Edition was produced by myself and Tammy Mills, with technical assistance by Josh towers. Tom McKendrick is our head of audio. The Morning Edition is a production of The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald. To support our journalism, subscribe to us by visiting The Age or smh.com.au. Forward slash, subscribe and sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter to receive a comprehensive summary of the day's most important news, analysis and insights in your inbox every day. Links are in the show. Notes. I'm Samantha Selinger. Morris. This is the morning edition. Thanks for listening.