Speaker 1: On two GV.
Speaker 2: This is Sydney Now with Clinton.
Speaker 3: Monday, June two, one three one eight seventy three. It is Clinton, Maine with you. First week of winter. Now the fairies are running. I can confirm the fairies are back up and running. This morning it was because of the fog. The fairies couldn't run across Sydney Harbor. Well this afternoon over the past hour or so, it's because of Wales. Wales stopped the fairies. But they're now running again. More than that, in just a moment. What surprised me about the fog today was where we were growing up, we're always told if it was foggy in Sydney in the morning, and this morning was a peace super it was pretty thick that we were going to have a bright, sunny, beautiful day. We're looking out across the suburbs of Sydney's West at the moment, very cloudy, it's overcast. What happened to our bright sunny day, It didn't happen. Coming up on the program, Susan Lee the new opposition Lee but probably has the hardest job in the country. If you give her much hope of winning the next election. She has a war and coalition to deal with. And there are still issues with her own backbench now that she'd made changes to shadow cabinet and she's got to take up the fight to the Labor Party. Well. She'll be my guest after five o'clock, the first time she's been on two gbs since she was elected leader. The big issue in state politics this week is the future of the workers' compensation scheme and the fact that there's legislation going to palm this week. The fact that if changes aren't made the way psychological injuries dealt with in the workplace, premiums for businesses are going to skyrocket and they couldn't put an enormous pressure on their budgets and the state budget as well. Our straight She to Craig Laundy runs a significant business and'll have an insight into these changes. We'll talk to him. Mark Guy joins me after five o'clock to review the weekend in footy, and we've got a good prize to give away today with the quiz, a five hundred dollars Winston with a Y voucher that's in the quiz coming up at the end of the program. You are my eyes and ears when it's happening in city now. So if you see something we need to know about, text me zero force zero eight seven three eight seven three. Have you say one three one eight seven three. Well in Sydney right now I can confirm the fairies are running once again. There's been a lot of excitement on the northern beaches throughout the afternoon. You would have heard this with Michael McLaren listener Brian calling in after spotting a pot of wales at Manly.
Speaker 4: Have a listen bit of excitement here in Manley. Three humpback whales have come into the harbor and they've been doing a bit of a circuit around and got as close as about one hundred meters or so off the Manly pier. Brought all the ferries to a halt, obviously for safety reasons. There's a lot of people hanging around looking and taking photographs of them.
Speaker 3: Transport for New South Wales say the fairies had to slow down and there's been some delays as a result, but the fairies are getting back to normal for the afternoon peak. This is a great site. First Monday of June, the first week of winter and we have whale watching on the Harbor. We have whale watching from Manly. Rob Harcourt is a marine biologist, a shark expert from mcquarie University, joins us, Well, this is a bit of a surprise, or is it, Rob, Hello.
Speaker 5: Oh good Aid Clinton. Yeah, No, it's not that much of a surprise. Whales are all heading north to have their babies and have one bit of romantic canoodling up on the Daria Eve and they do stop in harbors and estuaries on the way up. These guys just seem to have come into the business harbor on the Newst Coast.
Speaker 3: Romantic can noodling. We are a family show, so just bear that in mind, Rob, So what they migrate north to meet up?
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: So they all feed down in the Antarctic, in the really rich waters of the Antarctic every summer and when there's twenty frier daylight and there's lots of product pivot going on. And then when winter comes they flee north and they go up to the Barrier reef to have their babies. And it's when the males can all find the females because they're all up there in the same place. But they rt migrate up the coast, and so they often stop in at different bays on the way up, sometimes for a rest. And if a female's about to give births, who might be looking for a quiet place to give birth? So Sydney Harper's not a quiet place, has to be said.
Speaker 3: So while the female is swimming making her way up, would she poke her head into the heads and realize, I know this isn't a great place and then continue on the merry way north.
Speaker 5: It could be, or they might have just come in and had a bit of a rest. I mean, there's a few of them. It wasn't just one. But when a female is going to give birth, they often have what we call an escort, which is often to another female or sometimes a male mate guarding who goes with them. And then when they give their cup when they have a calf, normally in the night. We don't see them very often happening during the day. Then the other one I'll hang around to protect them from sharks and other predators.
Speaker 3: The ferries have slowed down for those that are on the waterways. If you do come across a while, whether it's outside of the heads or even within the heads, what should you do?
Speaker 5: Oh, look, don't change your gears really rapidly, and don't race towards them. I mean you're legally you have to stay at least one hundred meters away, or if there's a baby with them, it's three hundred meters away, which is a big distance. There's actually a lot further than you think, especially in the confines of the harbor. But reversing and driving around like a maniac is when they tend to get run over. They are very vulnerable to boats. In particular, there's lots of boats, so goes slow, right down, no wake speed, and if you are heading towards them, look go to neutral and just hopefully just drift away. Try and keep that. But you must keep at least one hundred meters away. That's the requirement. If there's more than three boats and it's three hundred meters and then the harbor, there's nearly always three.
Speaker 3: Good advice for magnificent animals. Thank you, professor, so entirely my closure.
Speaker 5: Clinton have a lovely afternoon.
Speaker 3: Professor Rob Harcourt, who is a marine biologist with McCrory University. So the fairies are running again. There might be some delays the next half of a half hour or so because they had to slow down. But you can expect to see more Wales over the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 6: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton Man on.
Speaker 3: To GB thirteen past three, the state government admits we aren't winning the war against illegal tobacco. We've been talking about this for several years on my programs, the fact that tobacconists have been operating opening up left, right and center in our suburbs, despite the fact smoking rates are at an all time low. Chris Minz has spoken about this today and for the first time he's actually pointed the finger at one of the reasons that you often identified as the course of this high tobacco excise. Now he has been questioned about the way we police these tobacconists, in particular at the moment it's the duty of New South Wales health inspectors, not the police, but mister Minns for the first time conceded that may need to change.
Speaker 7: That would mean allocating police officers that are currently working on domestic violence cases, on youth crime cases, on major organized crime networks in New South Wales take them off those important inquiries and send them into tobacco regulation. And we may need to do that because I'm concerned as a constituent and as a father to see the number of high street premises being taken over by tobacco firms.
Speaker 8: But I wonder whether we need to roll this back.
Speaker 7: A couple of steps and look more closely at the federal government's massive excise on tobacco.
Speaker 8: I think that that's important.
Speaker 7: I'm not arguing with the public health benefits of putting an excise on tobacco.
Speaker 8: I think it's driven down the amount of.
Speaker 7: People that use cigarettes in the community to around ten percent, but the massive increase has exploded the illicit tobacco marketplace.
Speaker 3: Now that's the first time I've heard the Premier say that it's federal excise that's to blame here. Well, let's bring an expert in this matter in James Martin is a scene lecturer in criminology who specializes in the black market. Deacon University. Thank you for your time, James. Do you believe the high excise on tobacco as part of the reason we've seen this explosion in illegal tobacco?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that's absolutely undeniable. Australians pay the most expensive cigarette prices anywhere in the world. Pacade smoker who's buying legal cigarettes is looking at a yearly bill in the order of fifteen thousand dollars and that's obviously an extortionary amount that many people simply cannot or.
Speaker 1: Refuse to pay.
Speaker 3: Does an excise work in any way? I would suspect that the health industry believes it has discouraged people from smoking.
Speaker 10: Well, we don't actually have.
Speaker 9: Any conclusive evidence that it's accelerated to decline in smoking in Australia. Smoking rates in the pre tax decade, so between two thousand and twenty ten declined at the same rate as over the next ten years from twenty ten to twenty nineteen, when the price cigarettes more than doubled. So you know, I think there are real questions about whether the tax was fun, it was working is intended let alone all these very serious unintended consequences.
Speaker 3: From your experience in this area, what do you think the best way would be to deal with the illegal tobacco problem.
Speaker 9: Well, I think there's two main things that the government needs to do. And it's great to see New South Wales premier acknowledging the elephant in the room, which is tobacco tax that I think needs to be substantially lowered. But the other big one here is vapes. So vapes to the number one quitting aid in jurisdictions in which they're legal. We saw massive declines in smoking rates in New Zealand from twenty twenty when they legalized vapes over there, and unfortunately we've made vpes harder to get the cigarettes which you know a responsible for the deaths of two and three every long term users. So I think improving access to legal forms of nictee but prompally less harmful forms of nicotine.
Speaker 11: Is the key.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the issue with balance is causing part of the problem. Thank you for your Tim James. Thanks doctor Jones Martin who's a criminal lecturer at Deacon University. So that's the first time. Firstly, Chris Mens has admitted that the exercise is an issue here and that needs to be addressed. Very rarely when you get politicians saying that because they're very worried about what the response will be from the health lobby. But also he said that in the upcoming budget that will we hand it down in a few weeks time, his government is going to have to look at providing the police with resources rather than New South Wales Health to actually police those tobacconists be a part.
Speaker 6: Of Sidden now with Clinton Maynard called one three, one eight seven three.
Speaker 3: Okay. The counting is continuing this afternoon in the seat of Bradfield and this has taken a turn. The Teal candidate, Nicolett Buller is now in front. I'm just looking at the latest results that have come through. This is the recount. Nicolett Buller is in front of Gazelle Capteriian, the Liberal, by twenty one votes. Now. When counting wrapped up on Friday, Gazelle cab Tirian was in front by two and the AAC has indicated the counting won't be concluded, most likely until the end of the week, possibly midweek, but I think you can take it as read it'll be the end of the week. This is the first time since the recount started that the Teal Nickelett Buller has actually been in front, and she's she's increased that lead throughout the day. What is happening is informal votes are being very closely examined and I'm told that votes that were deemed initially informal are now being declared formal because on closer examination by scrutineers, they are legitimate votes. Most of those votes, most of those informal votes that have been switched, have actually been to the benefit of the Liberal Party. Some of those will have been to the benefit of Nicolete Buller as well, but this is the biggest lead she's had so far. Now it's not yet over. They're probably only halfway through this recount, but she does now lead by twenty one votes. So if it was to be declared right now, Nicolette Buller the Teal would win this seat. Susan Lee, the new leader of the Liberal Party, will join me up to five o'clock and I'll certainly be asking the opposition leader from her information on the ground, because the political parties received some direct information from their scrutineers. Whether she has some confidence that Giselle Captirian can make a comeback. She must, because she has given her a job in the Outer Shadow Ministry as well. Plenty coming up on the program, if you'd like to have your say, one, three, one, eight seven, three is our number. This is Sydney. Now a lot of feedback about what Chris Mins has said about tobacco excise, and I'll come to that feedback in just a moment. The Prime Minister, though today has responded to American demands for astraight to increase our spending on defense, and this was a sort of an issue during the election campaign. On the sidelines of the Shangrilad Dialogue meetings in Singapore, the US Defense Secretary has suggested to our Deputy PM, Richard Miles that we should be increasing our spending to three and a half percent of GDP. Now, that would amount to about an extra forty billion dollars a year, forty billion dollars our federal government doesn't have. Anthony Albanesi has now responded what you.
Speaker 12: Should do in defense has decided what you need, your capability, and then provide for it.
Speaker 3: That's what my government's doing.
Speaker 12: We're provided an additional ten billion dollars of investment into defense over the forward estimates. What we don't do is do what the opposition did during the election campaign, where they announced an amount of money. I couldn't say where the money was coming from, and they couldn't say what it was for that makes no sense. What we need is things that defend us in real terms, and that's what we'll provide.
Speaker 3: The Prime Minister certainly no commitment there. Word on the street thanks to temper a great night's sleep, night after night. The difference is temper confirmation. One northbound lane to the m one the Pacific Motorway has now reopened just past that side of a car crash that occurred at Morris set So all northbound lanes the motorway they had been closed because of that crash, but they're now open once again. The diversions have been lifted one three one eight seven three. Let's get to some of your calls about tobacco excise. Hello, Nick, there you.
Speaker 10: Go mate, Good Nick.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, I just sexed three before that. Like I was using the snake in the legal ones, which your customing sixty five dollars a day.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 11: I finally found one of the illegal ones that pretty much sell the same brand, that's what I do. But they come from the UK, and I got a carton for ninety dollars.
Speaker 3: And so you go to a particular retailer, you make some sort of coded requests behind the counter there.
Speaker 11: Oh, I know it's all open. You just go on and go I want I want the carton of lease and they just give them to you.
Speaker 3: And this is the problem in New South Wales that there are twelve New South Wales Health inspectors and the government is going to double the number of inspectors to twenty four. But you walk through most suburbs, you'll see five or six to back and it's in the one suburb. So twenty four inspectors won't do anything. Hello Bruce.
Speaker 13: Yes, And look on these cigarette prices. Look for a packet of twenty five cigarettes. I was in at Words the other day and I noticed the price is there with seventy dollars from packet of Marlborough the Marlborough Man. Seventy dollars a twenty five smokes a lot of money. And for a packet of twenty from the dodgy tobacco shops around the place, they're twenty dollars. I mean that's a difference of fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: And if you're somebody who's been addicted to cigarettes for decades and decades, yeah, you're probably going to seed. I'm doing the wrong thing. I shouldn't be doing this, But it's a big difference, and.
Speaker 13: That fifty dollars it has to be the tax I mean, these are criminals, are making a lot of money.
Speaker 10: It's just a crime.
Speaker 3: And if we don't start doing something about it, we're going to see a repeat of what happens in Melbourne. Happened in Queensland on Friday fire bombings. We've seen a couple of them in Sydney this year, but nothing compared to what's experienced interstate in the turf war that's broken out in Melbourne and particularly parts of southeast Queensland over tobacco territory. It's what's fueling the drug crime in this City's cocaine, but tobacco is next.
Speaker 10: Hello, Larry, Hey, how are you good?
Speaker 14: Good mate, I'm just a call that I'm just the first time callers. I'm a little bit nervous, welcome mate. Regarding the tobaccoos, I'm curious on how they measure that smoking has decreased through excise going up and they know or how do they not know that? Possibly the reason why they think it's gone down is because more and more people are smoking the illegal cigarette.
Speaker 3: Really good point you make there, Larry, and we'll see we can get some clarification from the authorities on that, because if you are buying illegal cigarettes, you're not going to be part of the formal statistical data. I would think really good point. Think if you call Parry and good afternoon, Josh Bryant, good.
Speaker 15: Afternoon, Clinton. The Premier wants the current federal excise on tobacco to be reduced, saying the massive increase in the cost recently is adding to the explosion of elicit tobacco sales. A car has driven through a church in the Illawara, leaving one person with minor injuries. At West Woollongong, the FBI is treating a fire attack in the US state of Colorado as an act of terrorism after six people were set alight during a walk to support Israeli hostages, and three humpback whales have delighted onlookers in the water near Manly Pier, briefly forcing ferries to slow down. Services now running as normal. In sport, reports in England claimed Tottenham will announce the sacking of Ange postera Conglu later this week. The Aussie manager led Spurs to the Europa League title, but also presided over their worst Premier League season in almost fifty years.
Speaker 8: We'll have more news than sported for.
Speaker 3: Thank you Josh Mark guy joining us after five point thirty talking sport, and that's likely to happen. Ange Posta Conglu is expecting to be sacked to spot the fact Tottenham won the Europa League trophy. In all of Ange Postera Coglo's career, he always wins trophies, particularly in the second year with his club, but he's going to get the punt. Nevertheless, won three, one, eight, seven, threes and number Bindi Irwin has returned home. She was in the United States when she suffered appendicitis and was in hospital for some time. But she is back. Good afternoon, Peter Ford.
Speaker 10: Yeah, thank goodness she is, and I'm sure she's thrill. I know her mum, Terry. Certainly she's taken to social media. It's been obviously a troubling more than three weeks since she's first left. Was meant to be a quick work trip, if you like, to go to Las Vegas to attend the Big Gala, but then just hours before it, she took six She was airlifted from Las Vegas to New York, where not only did she have the appendix removed, but she also had fourteen endometriosis lesions removed as well. Then she couldn't fly and it won't let you do a long flight after that sort of surgery, so she's had to basically wait and wait, and now finally she's back on home turf again.
Speaker 3: And she she's going to make a full recovery, isn't she.
Speaker 10: Well totally. Yeah, she's in good spirits and I think, you know, obviously for Terry, it's been a difficult time to know where do you base yourself. You want to be with your daughter, You've got the business to run. You also got a child, and of course she got a grandchild because Bindy's a mum. So yeah, it's been a rough time, but it's all ended up very well.
Speaker 3: Hannah Gadsby has revealed her surprise friendship with Laurita Swift of mash fame, who passed away last Yeah.
Speaker 10: I thought this was kind of cute. I love these sort of random show business friendships. So over the weekend, Loretta Swift died. She was eighty seven years old, and that kind of plays with your mind.
Speaker 3: To imagine that actually I.
Speaker 10: Know, well, she's kind of frozen in time, isn't she For those of us who grew up watching Mash and her as Hot Lips, you know when she did other things after Mash, but nothing I don't think, you know ingrained itself into our brains in the way that Hot Lips did. So it was sort of surprising to see that she was eighty seven years old, but Hannah Gatsby took to social media to reveal that some years back, Loretta Switt came to one of her shows in New York and came backstage to meet her, and they struck up a very strong personal friendship, and you know, despite the age difference, they got along famously. And Loretta actually was a painter and did a number of paintings for Hannah of her dogs through the years. So I just thought it was a sweet little story to show that in business, you know, sometimes opposite steer track.
Speaker 3: It's hard to believe Loretta was eighty seven years of age, I guess. And this is the reality of show business. What we tend to remember people in their starring roles, and whether it was thirty forty years ago, they're stuck in time because of.
Speaker 10: That, and most of them are quite happy to be They stuck in people's minds looking a certain way, and many of them go to great legs to make sure they continue to.
Speaker 1: Look that way.
Speaker 3: Good on you, Peter. We'll talk tomorrow. Thanks Clinton, Peter Ford twenty four to four. Late last year, the new South Wales government introduced Jack's Law. These a new knife laws targeting specifically young offenders, and under these laws, police can now use scanners to literally scan people they suspect maybe carrying knives. There's been an operation that's been conducted in the Aubrey region and over the course of Friday, ninety eight people were scanned using these new laws handheld scanning devices. The police have they arrested four people. Four weapons and prohibited drugs were detected and charges have been laiden. These four people will before the courts. But this is an example where Jack's Law is so important because more and more people, sadly, particularly younger people, are arming themselves with knives. But the threat that these scanners, that beliefs are going to be armed with these scanners themselves, will at least help them fight back. A little earlier, I spoke with a marine biologist about the pod of Wales that has been spotted at Manley this afternoon and it is now whales season. They're making their migration to the north, but it meant that the Manly Ferry had to slow down. There's been some delays to ferry services as a result. We understand the fairies now back to normal. So I've had two messages from our listeners suggesting maybe we should have spoken to George Costanza about the Wales. You cast your mind back to that very famous Seinfeld episode back in the nineties where George made out to one of his prospective dates that he, in fact was a marine biologist, and Kramer was playing golf and shooting golf balls practicing his driving on the coastline one day, and actually he drove a golf ball that landed in the whole of one of the wales, and because George was so called marine biologist, he was the one who had to save the day.
Speaker 16: So I started to walk into the water.
Speaker 17: From out of nowhere, a huge title wave lifted me, tossed me like a cork, and I found myself right on top of them, to.
Speaker 2: Face with the blowhole.
Speaker 17: I could barely see from the waves crashing down upon me, but I knew something was there so I reached my hand there, felt around and pulled out the obstruction all in one.
Speaker 3: I now know who we should be speaking to about Wales while watching in Sharks George Gustans of the Marine Biologist. We'd be lost without organizations like the Country Women's Association. The CWA has just announced they're activating their disaster Relief Fund now. This is going to be financial support for people who've been affected by the Mid North Coast and the Hunter Valley floods. Up to half a million dollars has been initially emarked for flood recovery efforts. Up to two hundred and fifty thousand dollars is also allocated to those who are affected by drought at the moment. And we should remember that despite the fact we've been talking so much about the floods and the Mid North Coast and the Hunter Valley, there are so many farmers and districts across New South Wales that are affected by drought and we're going to have a closer look at that on the program in the next couple of weeks as well. So good on the CWA. They will commit five hundred thousand dollars to flood recovery coming up after five o'clock. As I mentioned, I'll be speaking with Susan Lee, the new Opposition leader. And the reason part of the is I'll be talking to Susan is because she's been on the mid North Coast today having a look at the devastation herself. And it's for politicians. I know they do like a picture opportunity, but it's actually important for them to have a look at the real damage so when they're there lobbying for financial assistance, they actually know what they're talking about. One three one eight seven three. A new tourism campaign has been launched today for Destiny Southwest, Destination, New South Wales and the state government. It's called the Feel New campaign and it's a little bit different. Now when you think of Cidney, what do you think of I think of the Harbor Bridge, think of the Opera House, and we have some wonderful other icons in our city as well and surrounds Manly b which as we're been talking about today with the Wales, the Royal National Park in the south to the Blue Mountains, the Three Sisters. But this is going to be a campaign that'll be a little bit different. It's not going to focus on our icons because there's been some new research that's found that many people, particularly domestically, they know that we've got the Opera House and we have the Harbour Bridge, but they're not coming here because they don't think Sydney offers anything else. I'm a little bit surprised by that finding. I'm going to play part of an ad for you that's going to be part of the campaign.
Speaker 2: Got that empty fridge feeling, Yeah, the best feeling.
Speaker 3: So a Blocus has opened a fridge and there's a wet lettuce leap inside it. This one he's dissatisfied with it.
Speaker 8: Go on again.
Speaker 3: Then he comes to Sydney and he has dinner in Sydney.
Speaker 2: It's not a spread.
Speaker 3: And then he relaxes in Sydney and goes for a run. It's part of a marathon.
Speaker 18: I haven't felt that before.
Speaker 3: So in the ad, you don't see the icons, you don't see the Harbour Bridge. You do see a bunch of going for a run, and you see a lovely meal at a restaurant. And apparently this is the way the experts have determined that we need to sell the city. I'm actually not so sure about that. Margi Osborne is the Sea of the Transport and Tourism Forum. She is an expert in this area. Margie, thank you for your time.
Speaker 19: Afternoon, Clinton.
Speaker 3: What do you think of the campaign feel now?
Speaker 19: Well, look, I actually think it's very clever. It's reflecting what is a global trend now right. People want secret getaways, you know, they go to lots of places and see the icons, but for many of them, they want to see how locals live. So it's about whether you want to do yoga on a kayak in the harbor, which is part of one of the campaigns, or whether you want to go on a secret and very beautiful jog around some parts of the city, or whether you want to go to a really great bar and hear live music on a Sunday afternoon. So it's really about offering people other options and read discovering their city. So it's about domestic tourism. So for a lot of those people that are coming here, they might have seen the big the big things before. This is about reassuring them that there is so much more to do in Sydney.
Speaker 3: And that's a really fair point because I think some of that does get lost sometimes. The research from destination New South Wales. Their Brand Engagement Monitor survey conducted just last month and April, shows that seventy nine percent of Australian travelers have been to Sydney before. But we're currently ranked third in consideration of where we'd actually want Australians would want to go. We're not at the top of the list. Is that because Queensland's at the top.
Speaker 19: Well, yes, it is the indefatigable Gold Coast. Everybody goes to the Goldie for a whole lot of reason.
Speaker 3: And so do you. I guess you don't go to the Gold Coast to look at an icon. You go to a Gold Coast to experience the beach, to go to the theme parks and have more of an experience.
Speaker 19: Yeah, you do. And I think that's all about what this campaign is about too. I think the other thing is it's about the liveability of the city. Step beyond the tourism outcomes, critically important as they are, this is also about making Sydney clearly be seen as the kind of city you want to live in. Now that's really important from the context of future investment in Sydney and New South While bringing highly skilled professionals here that perhaps we haven't got enough off yere in Australia, bringing them to Sydney and making them feel like it's an exciting place to live.
Speaker 3: See, I don't want you too critical of the ad market, because easy to jump up and down about these things. When I saw the ad for the first time, what jumped out at me? So it features one of those four ads. One of it's a bloke empty opens a fridge and there's just a wet let us leave there. So he's into state. He wants to experience something better than what he's stayed office, So he comes to Sydney. He has a lovely dinner and he goes for a run with the marathon runners. And see to me that that could be done anywhere. You can have a nice dinner in Adelaide if you want it. You can have a nice dinner in Perth or Brisbane. So I would have thought we need to demonstrate how Sydney is different, how we bring something to the tourist experience.
Speaker 19: Well, what they've actually done is they've got a series of ambassadors who all give their sort of version of if not a perfect day, their top three things to do in Sydney and they're all wildly different, so there's a whole lot of options as part of the campaign. But I think the real issue here is it's about seeing the city anew as you rightly point out, lots of people have been here before and there is so much more than the Harbor Bridge.
Speaker 20: And the Opera House.
Speaker 19: Wonderful as they are, there's a lot more to do and this is really just about highlighting those things. Now. The ad that has the linked letter sleep in the Fridge, I think is more about feeling you know, you get home at the end of the day and you open the fridge dooring a too hard, but it's really about emphasizing the fact that there's so much to do in Sydney. You can just go out and get something wonderful to eat.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: The argument always is that Melbourne has bigger sporting crowds than we do in Sydney because there's nothing to do there, so you just go to the football where you're so much to do in Sydney.
Speaker 19: Well. I think this is what we have to do, though, is remind everybody of all those wonderful things you've got to do in Sydney. I mean Sydney is a city of villagers too, and we've all got our own secret best options of places we like.
Speaker 21: To go and see.
Speaker 19: Those are the things that visitors want to do.
Speaker 1: Too.
Speaker 5: Good on you, Margie, my pleasure in Tarley.
Speaker 3: Glynn, Margie Osmond. Who's to see are the Tourism and Transport Forum. Have a look at the ads. You'll see them on the TV in the next couple of days. They'll mostly feature in the state though, So it's about experience. This is about what it's like to live in Sydney, not so much about seeing the Opera House and the Harbor Bridge. And I understand the philosophy that most Australians know that if you come to Sydney you see the Opera House and the Harbor Bridge and Free Sisters in the Blue Mountains. I still think you want to show why Sydney is so spectacular because we have an advantage of every other destination around the country that they don't have those icons. I mean, what's an icon of Melbourne, what's the icon of Brisbane? Yep, it's the weather in Queensland. It's not the weather in Melbourne, although the weather is not that great in city today. If you were developing a campaign to encourage people to come here, to come to Sydney. What would you want to see? What will your selling point be? Would it be the fact you can go and run a marathon? Probably not, but that's what they've picked. Three eight seventy three, A travel warning has been issued for Ballei through Smart Traveler and Bali in other parts of Indonesia. This is because of concerns about water safety, drink spiking and methanol poisoning. There's been an update to Smart Traveler warning the dangers presented by unpatrolled beaches in Indonesia, noting Australians are previously drowned a popular tourist beaches with rough seas and strong rip currents. Tourists are also being warned about leaving food and drink unattended when they're going to various venues around Bali, noting dangers posed by drink spiking a methanol poisoning and has been recorded across Indonesia, including Ballei and Lombok. Australians are also advised to ensure their passports are in good condition and review local cultural and custom customs religious customs before they travel overseas drink spiking is an issue in Balley, but it is an issue across much of Southeast Asia.
Speaker 6: If it matters to you, you'll hear it here Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard Until said.
Speaker 3: This is another example of one of the ads of the new tourist campaign that has just been released. Got that beans on toast again feeling.
Speaker 18: Try this feeling.
Speaker 3: So now there's a shot of somebody going to scoop the drive of its niss.
Speaker 13: That's it, shake it out.
Speaker 3: Package, lovely dinner at a market.
Speaker 2: Haven't felt that before?
Speaker 3: And so that's the tagline, haven't felt that before. It's it's that the new advertising campaign to encourage interstate tourists to come here. And it does not feature our icons. You don't see they have a bridge in the vision. And when it refers to beans on toast, this is a bloke who's bought with life. He probably lives in birth and the only food he can get at his place and beans on toast. So he needs to come to Sydney for a better feed. One three hat seven to three. Anthony's in Kellyville. Hello Anthony, good cleansing.
Speaker 21: There you go?
Speaker 3: Could do you think that's a good advertising campaign would encourage you to come here.
Speaker 20: I think it's terrible, but nobody's coming here. Nobody wants to come here. We're over price, we're overrated. Our city closes at nine o'clock. Unlessually spending big money to go out. It's unaffordable. Other cities in the world, such as Tokyo are much better value for money.
Speaker 1: Now I've only been abody coming here.
Speaker 3: I've only been to Tokyo Airport. I wasn't able to actually visit the city itself. My impression was Japan was very expensive.
Speaker 1: Is that not right? Absolutely? Not a very last year.
Speaker 20: I'm going in twenty eight I'm going in twenty six days. I just told you the other the other gentlemen, it's postul It was going to cost me seven hundred and fifty dollars to get a minivan from Kellyville to the airport to take my family over there. It's cost me two hundred and ten dollars to get from the airport to the hotel. It is affordable. The customer service to none compared to what we offer here. We're not in the international city anymore. We might have been, but we're no longer.
Speaker 1: Mate.
Speaker 3: I certainly agree with you when you say that Sidney closes at nine o'clock and that is a complaint, and chris Min's talks about that all the time. I do think, and yes, I agree, Sydney's also expensive, but most international cities are hideously expensive. I was surprised that the last time I went to London thought I thought the food in London was going to be very expensive. But I'd say Sydney was a little bit more expensive, but relatively a lot of other things in Sydney are cheaper than most European cities and certainly some of the United States. Hey good on you, Anthony. Think if your call on the text line, Paul says Margie Osmond, she could make a heart attack sound like a pleasant experience. Well, she putting a positive spin on it. Tony says the advertising campaign sounds like a load of drivel. Barbara says, what they should do is they should show people taking a ride on a ferry showing our beautiful sparkling water. Well in one of the ads, the ad that I just played did feature the bloke who wants the baked beans on it does what the bake bens on toast who lives in Perth he's actually enjoying scuba diving. So it does show some of those sites. And I completely understand the thought that people who live in Adelaide or Darwin, they know that we have the Harbor Bridge, but it's such a selling point I think we shouldn't actually ignore that we have those features.
Speaker 2: Until six.
Speaker 6: This is Sydney now with Clinton Maynard on two GB call now one three one three.
Speaker 3: The new Sydney fish Market will open soon and that's going to mean a change to the name of the light rail stop. Now currently there is a light rail stop. It's just actually near the radio station here and it's the Sydney fish Market light rail Station. Well it's going to change its name to the Bank Street light rail Station. But the Geographical Names Board today has announced their seeking community feedback on the proposal to rename it. They don't believe they can continue with the name the fish Market light rail because the fish Market is going to be now a short walk instead of basically a stone throw away, so it's going to be known as the Bank Street light rail station. The New South Wales Surveyor General NoREL Underwood says the final decision hasn't been made yet. So they're seeking community feedback.
Speaker 22: Rename Fish Market light rail stocks as Bank Street light rail stock, so that because the Sydney Fish Market, as many people would be aware, is relocating later this year and we need to update the name of the existing white rail stock to avoid confusions for passengers.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that's absolutely but Bank Street light rail stop, I think that's a little bit dull. It's not like Bank Street is a well known road across Sydney. It's not George Street or Pitt Street aord. I thought we could have come with something a little more creative. Coming up after the news, we're going to have a look at supermarket prices. Coals and Wohers are engaged in a big battle.
Speaker 8: At the moment.
Speaker 2: This is Sydney now.
Speaker 3: We Clinton on t GB seven past four. This news has just broken in the sporting Well Glen Naxwell has announced he is quitting one day international cricket. I mean he's been a mainstay the Australian team for years now. He's played old eyes for thirteen years. May's deboot for the Aussie's back in twenty twelve. He has scored almost four thousand runs from one hundred and forty nine One Day Internationals. He's thirty six now, so obviously he's getting on, but he's going to quit One Day International cricket. I should point out a fabulous player over the years, Glenn Maxwell. I should point out that he's going to continue playing twenty twenty and he'll probably play in the IPL until he's about fifty or sixty. All the crookers want to keep playing in the IPL because that's where all the money is. But certainly I think one of Australia's the greatest one day in to national players in the past twenty thirty years. Marcus Stoyness and Stephen Smith have both also retired from One Day Internationals over the past year or so, so certainly changing face the Australian cricket team. Seven past four, the state government cracked the Champagne laid on My program on Friday afternoon. The Transmitister John Graham joined us to announce that the long running industrial dispute with the Combined Rail Unions that is crippled Sydney's train network could finally come to an end, and was on the show to trumpet the three year deal that he'd arranged he'd come to with the combined rail unions for a twelve percent pay rise. Now, I say the combined rail unions because there's been several unions involved in this dispute for the last will effectively the last couple of years. And I actually asked the Minister could he guarantee that there'd be no industrial action now for the next three years over the course of this agreement. He couldn't actually give that promise. And given we're dealing with unions, I can understand why he couldn't actually provide that guarantee very wise, because let's be honest, you can't trust them.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Of course, after we finished up on air on Friday, over the weekend, it was revealed that the Electrical Trades Union is holding out on agreeing to this deal, not the rail union itself, not the RTBU, the E TOU. Well, I've been in contact with the leadership of the rail union, the RTBU over the weekend and they are happy with this deal. What they're not happy with is the E TOU because, excuse the pun, the ETU is threatening to derail the deal. So this is an over The matter has been back before the Fair Work Commission. Today you see the ETU is unhappy with the way maintenance and engineering employees are now categorized in the agreement. Please, it's a demarcation dispute between the unions. It has nothing to do with us, the commuters. And we're given the impression on Friday that all this has been sorted out and that be no more suffering for us who use the trains. Well, no that's not quite right. This is not over yet. At this point there is nothing to stop the ETU taking industrial action from July unless this is now sorted out.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I'm hopeful it will be sorted out before the Fair Work Commission. The government has definitely settle it and the Rail, tram and Bust unit itself, it's done with it. It wants this all over also. But if you cast your mind back to January, we had an incident in January where the entire Sydney raalm network ground or halt in the morning. We had been told in the lead up to this particular dispute, and the RTBU had told all on Sundry that they were going to begin an industrial campaign where trains in the outer suburban network would be slowed down. And Howard Collins from Sydney Trains was on the program. I had the union on the program the day before. They all insisted, look, yes, this industrial action is taking place, but it would only cause mindor disruption. Well lo and behold. The next morning, No, the whole of the run network completely shut down. Do you know why it's shut down. There was a problem I think it was at Bondi, and then there was another at Homebush, but there was an electrical problem, and that electrical problem couldn't be fixed because the ETU wouldn't fix it. So now we're facing that again that yes, an agreement has been reached with most of the unions involved in this dispute, but not the E TOU, which means, what's to stop them taking industrial action for instance, next month, unless this is sort of out in the next couple of weeks. Well nothing. Now I think they're going to be desperate, the government will be desperate. Sidney Trains management, we're desperate to get this sort of out. As a rail union official told me yesterday to quote him, he said, this is insanity. He was talking about his own union movement. The quote is, this is insanity. The rail union covers eight and a half thousand workers. The e TOU covers eight hundred and sixty so it's student a roughly ten percent and potentially they're going to hold up this deal. It's not right. Well, it just can't happen because while there are eight and a half thousand railway workers under the RTBU and there are eight hundred and sixty e TOU members, there are more than a million of us us the passengers. US, the passengers who pay for our opal fares, US, the passengers who pay for our taxes, and have been screwed around now for more than a year because of the way these unions are behaving.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: At least the RTBU has come to the party and they've agreed to this deal. At least the state government and Transport for your South Wales has finally arranged this deal. And yet they'll get a pay rise that's actually bigger than what was originally intended, but much smaller than what the RTBU was asking for. To think the ETU that only represents eight hundred and sixty workers could derail the whole thing. It's a glow of garbage. We should not be treated like this anymore. The traveling public should not be putting up with this anymore, and the state government needs to sort it out, and needs to sort it out quickly. One three, one eight seven three is my number. Now our reports are this afternoon, the trains are actually running okay, and hopefully this dispute with the ETO will now be resolved in the next couple of days, because we can't put up with it any longer.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Coals has announced today they're dropping the prices of hundreds of their products. The supermarket Giant has also announced a change to their flybys scheme. This is actually part of what looks like a war breaking out between Coals Wars anality. Also, because it was only a week or so ago, Woars made a similar pledge that they were cutting prices of four hundred lines. Cole says from Wednesday, customers will save on three hundred and seven winter essentials household staples, including meat, bakery items, items that you need to stock your pantry with, dairy as well. So the supermarket wars hiding up and that's good for us the customer. Barry Urkhat is a consumed behavior expert with marketing focus and joins us. Hello Barry, what do you think is behind this?
Speaker 1: Barry?
Speaker 3: Hello Evan what do you think is behind this change?
Speaker 23: Oh, what's behind of I think that to a large extent there's something to do with market forces or consumer behavior. It is all to do about the political imperatives. And it's up until May three foremost in the lexicon of the political arena, and the campaigning was about the injustice of the supermarkets with price gouging, with the supplier suppression, and all of a sudden, the nationals are starting to say, let's have divestment. The spot by this very much retailing generally supermarkets in particular, and so consequently, because they are the political hot potato, coles will worsen to a lesser extentality have responded to that accordingly.
Speaker 3: So even though the election's over and it's been one by the Labor Party, you think that the supermarket giants are still feeling that pressure, Well, the.
Speaker 23: Spotlights still on them. They're very, very sensitive. Consumers have started to speak less about the cost of living crisis, but it is a reality that every time they go to the supermarket there is a reinforcement drip drip of less money, less discretionary purchases, and pressure on their living standards. So consequently that's the sort of thing that it's working. So they're trying to win the hearts and minds of people. But I would say step back, look at history, and in all probability this will not be a successful campaign by either Coles or or worse, because prior to February twenty twenty, with the onset of COVID nineteen a pandemic, we had and you will recorded too with the your listeners, one dollar liters of milk, two dollars loaves of bread, eight dollar hot chickens, and various low prices of eggs. Now that didn't work. Well, let me tell you what the consequences of those specific price driven campaigns really resulted in. One, they sold more products. Two, consumers did not spend more money. So consequently you did not have an increase in revenue, and in that margins for Squeeze profit went out the door. And so in a very short period of time, the supermarket said this is not working because we're not getting more customers, they're not shopping more regularly, and they're not loyal. So it is the sort of thing where it's as in this instance, it attracts headlines, but it doesn't improve the bottom line.
Speaker 3: When when they cut prices like this, so for coals it's three hundred and seven products and for twelve weeks for words, it's something like four hundred. Do they then increase prices for other, perhaps not commonly purchase products to try to make up the difference.
Speaker 23: In a generalized statement, no, I think that's again an emotional drive, which is very good media situations, but it's not verifiable on the shelves and the bigger markets. And that's Sally. Look, there is no question about it. Come Easter, the price of Easter eggs went up, but then again, chocolates were in very short supply or the basic product of chocolates, and so very quickly, all you had to do was to say, well, I won't buy my Easter eggs this year until the last five days before Easter, because they're going to buy up on stop. They're not going to be selling the merchandise for a fifty and sixty percent price increase and low and behold supply. And surprise, what happened five days out from Easter baying fifty percent off Easter reg So consumers are smart. Now, this is the sort of thing Clinton that you know, let's talk about that because I when I read this, I thought, now, I can't believe that they're addressing this to the consumers, because I thought this will only apply to people who have got a graduate degree in the STEM studies were a major in mathematics. Three hundred and seven products day, twelve weeks, commencing on the fourth of June with an average ninety What happened to Tony Abbott being criticized about his three word policies stop the boats?
Speaker 10: Let me give you.
Speaker 23: Three successful, long, sustaining, brilliant campaigns in retailing, but out of America. Macy's three word policy satisfaction guaranteed period Walnuts the biggest and the most successful supermarket and retail chain in the world. Three words everyday, lower prices. That's what consumers want. Consumers walk the shells of Coles Warl Worls and to a Lessex and Elders and then used to see signs half price. Half price is a lot better than an average of nineteen percent or ten percent improvement on the points accumulated by flybys. Now, let me put that on that sounds attractive ten times the usual fly buys points to qualify for a ten dollars off your bill. The average return that you get from your fly guys or loyalty programs like the Red War program is about two percent. Multiply that by ten it's about twenty percent. That's hardly an exciting discounting strategy that is going to tract and compel consumers to prefer and become loyal to any one particular brand of supermarkets.
Speaker 3: The research calls is conducted with their own customer base shows that thirty six percent of their customers, so it's more than one in three are actively seeking out specials, so more people are looking for cheaper products. In your experience, and given that we are going through is still an inflationary environment, even though inflations come down. Do you think that's accurate?
Speaker 20: Oh?
Speaker 23: Yes, I think it's probably understated. I would put it to you that we have gone from discount savers to economist savers. Your supermarket shoppers today are smart shoppers. Before they go shopping. In close to seventy two percent of instances, they go online. They see what the prices are, determine what the brands are, look at the outlets, and then go out there and buy.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 23: That's replaced windows shopping, so that when they go out, regardless of what their post code is, they are very very sensitive about price and value and proposition. So I think that if Coles and Woolworths really want to understand the consumers, let's put price in. And you and I have spoken about this over the years. Price is the fourth most important thing in the determination of where people buy. I've just written an article. I get syndicated by forty nine trade and indusue magazines around the world, and I've just written an article about value.
Speaker 21: Here is the.
Speaker 23: Message to the board and the management team of both Coals and Wilworth.
Speaker 1: If you want to be valued.
Speaker 23: Offer value every day, lower prices consistently across the board rather than well here's the point. They have actually reduced their product range from thirty five thousand and in the full range supermarket down to the metro stores of about twenty four thousand products. The consumers are saying, I don't care whether it's four hundred with WARL Worsaals three hundred and seven with Cahals. When I go shopping, and I go in my major shopping but I typically go two or three times a week, I'm not interested in whether it's three hundred and seven or four hundred. I want the less than fifty products that I'm going to buy, all of them to be at a discounted.
Speaker 3: Tribe consistently lower prices. I appreciate your inside. Thank you, Barry Hey, Sir Glinton Barry erkout from marketing focus. So for Coles, it's three hundred and seven products down for just twelve weeks and they are staples by an average of nineteen percent. For Woers, it will be in the vicinity of four hundred. But what do you prefer? Did did you like to see those one off savings or consistently, as Barry explains, consistently lower prices. Can share experience with me one three one eight seven three and we got the way. That's Josh Bryant.
Speaker 15: Good afternoon, Quintin twenty two people in Nigeria have been arrested in an international sting on sextortion scammers, including two who are believed to have been linked to the suicide of a sixteen year old Australian. Aaron Patterson, has been called to give evidence in her murder trial in Victoria, accused of poisoning her in laws with a meal containing death cap mushrooms. The pro Minister won't be drawn on whether Australia will further increase its defense spending amid pressure from the United States to do so, and the latest data from the EDDI Scam Center says there's been a twenty eight percent increase in financial losses to scams despite a drop in overall reports. In sport, Australian all rounder Glenn Maxwell's retired from One day International cricket to focus on Australia's campaign to win the T twenty World Cup next year.
Speaker 8: We'll have more news and sported.
Speaker 18: Five.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Josh. Seventeen degrees in the coast, fifteen degrees in Campbelltown at the moment. Quite overcast across much of Sydney at the moment. Hopefully those skies clear up for to because the aurora should be expected to be seen across much of Sydney again tonight. I don't know if you saw it last night. I missed it, but there was a wonderful pink glow of Sydney's beaches and you could see this so all the way from Kouma through to Tamworth. This is quite a spectacular site. It's a solar storm that's raging on the Aurora. But if the overcast conditions continue this evening, you might not be able to see that. I was from across to Simon. Simon's in Libken with a bit of a drama on the road.
Speaker 21: Hi, Simon that Clinton, I've got a car and broke down. He's onsten Hilly Is facing northbound just before Paramotta Roads.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you are you're on PARAMOUNTA Road, so you're just near Parameda Road, are you?
Speaker 21: Yeah, I'm actually on sen Hillis going towards Paramounta Road. But he's actually just about half five hundred meters from Paramount Road on Saint Hilios.
Speaker 3: Okay, is he causing any delays there yet?
Speaker 18: Oh?
Speaker 21: Yeah, because he's blocking two lanes, so it's hen really down to one lane?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: What was he merging between two lanes at the time or something?
Speaker 20: Was he?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 21: I think I spoke to the guy. He said he had a bit of some road rage, and I mean guys taking his keys what And he's also asking for a toey He's asking me He's like he had organized a toe.
Speaker 3: So hang on the drive. The driver of the car, somebody has taken his keys when he's stuck.
Speaker 21: Well, that's what he said to me. Yeah, because I'm in a truck. So he's just opened a side door to let me know, and he was asking for a towey to get him out of off the road to the side and eventually he had some road raiser and somebody's taking his keys. Apparently he's got no power steering.
Speaker 3: Apparently we can't drive the car without keys either. Simon, thanks letting us know about that. We'll actually check that with the police. So soon Hill he is rode Lidkem just before you're coming on to Paramatta Road. You've got someone in the car there who has no keys. Very difficult to drive your car without any keys. We'll speak with the police about that because from what Simon's telling us is a truck driver there was some sort of road rage incident and the blok has lost his set of keys. Quite bizarre.
Speaker 1: You'll want to know.
Speaker 6: What's happening in Sydney stay June to Sydney out with Clinton later.
Speaker 3: On to June twenty five to five. Earlier on the program, I was talking about the new tourism campaign that's been launched for New South Wales. And this is a campaign that doesn't feature our icons because it's trying to encourage people from inter state to come to Sydney. And based on the research that's been conducted by Destination New South Wales, they've found that well, people into state, they've already seen the Opera House, they know all about the Harbor Bridge, so they're not going to come to Sydney for those icons. They need to come to Sydney to have an experience.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Interestingly, a list has been released about beaches around the world and this has actually found that two of our most famous beaches in Sydney are on the list of the most disappointing beaches across the globe. The list of the top twenty most complained about beaches worldwide now number one is Kaki, follow followed by Hawaii of course, followed by Venice Beach. But there are two Australian beaches to Sydney beaches that are actually on this list. Bondai Bondi Beach is ranked ninth most disappointing beach in the world. Manly Beach is the twentieth most disappointing beach in the world. How could Manly be one of the most disappointing beaches in the world. When we had the pot of whales, well that was really around Manly Cove a little earlier in the harbor. Manly has scored up forty seven point four percent because it has a high dirty score. Apparently there's a lot of concern about dirt in the water, dirty water, but also overcrowding and noise disruption. But Bondai is even worse. It has an overcrowding percentage just seventy five point nine percent and noise disruption as well. So Bondi and Manly on the list of the twenty most complaint about beaches in the world on Sydney.
Speaker 2: Now you can't handle the true the strakes into.
Speaker 3: The biggest issue in state politics this week is going to be the future of our worker's compensation skill and that's because it's blown out. The reason it's blown out is because of claims for psychological injuries in the workplace, mental health issues. And it's the labor government that actually wants to address this and they want to make some significant changes where there'll be different tests that judge the psychological industry. In fact, that there could be a whole separate system to deal with this particular problem, and I wanted to talk to Craig Laundy, who's our straight shooter on Monday, about this one, because he's in the world of business and smaller medium business, but also he's a former Liberal MP and there's a lot of pressure right now on the Liberal Party. Hello Craig, Hey Clinton, how are you. I'm good. The reason I say there's a lot of pressure in Liberal Party because as we go to are right now there is a shadow Cabinet meeting on and during the Shadow Cabinet meeting, which is led by Mark Speakman, they are discussing legislation that's going to go to State Parliament. This is Daniel Mookie, the treasure of the l Eber Treasurer's legislation to go to Parliament this week to make changes to the way workers' compensation, but particularly the way mental health claims are treated. The reason for this is and this has been an issue for some years though I Care being financially unsustainable. This is the main workers compensation insurance body in New South Wales, so Daniel Wookie's had a look at it and he basically wants to change the way mental health has dealt with. They say the government says if these changes aren't approved by Parliament, it will lead to a dramatic increase in premiums for businesses. It will hurt the taxpayer as well that funds obviously public claims. At the moment. Now, my information is that no decision as we go to air right now has been made by the Liberal Party and the Nationals about whether they'll support this legislation or not. Now, when you think about it, it would be very much a Liberal Party core philosophy to support this change.
Speaker 24: It's like I'm living in a parallel universe. I mean, we've just come out of a federal election where they got delivered a message loud and clear, and you have a state opposition Liberal coalition, Liberal National Coalition government that are looking at turning their back. And let's put some numbers on this, Clinton. There's been a twenty six percent increase in workers' comp insurance premiums over the past three years, and it is forecast that the next three years, if the system is left unabated, there will be thirty six percent increase.
Speaker 8: And it's just how you.
Speaker 24: Could not And every major employer in the country is calling on the LIB and the Nats who are well, you know those people are the Libs and the Gnats core constituents.
Speaker 3: Now, if you don't if you don't run a small business, you don't work in you don't work in the management of a medium sized business or a large business, you probably don't have a clue about this. But workers compensation premiums are paid by every business. It's compulsory to have workers compensation insurance. So if the premiums go up, that's going to increase the costs of every every single business in our state, which is going to be passed on to our listeners.
Speaker 2: It's passed on.
Speaker 24: And this system is so bad Clinton in its design that when you incur the cost, it's added to your premium for the following three years by the insurance company. So this is a cost that is born four times what business once a year, once at the start, and then for the following three years. And no one gets that. And the drama I've got is the people sitting around the shadow Cabinet table today this afternoon, and the parallel universe thing. It's the Labor Party that is making sense yet again on a key economic issue that should be bread and butter for the Libs and the Nats.
Speaker 3: I've got a quote here from Mark Speakman held a press conference mid afternoon and he was asked about what the position would be of shadow cabinet on this. He said, we will do our very best this afternoon as a shadow cabinet and tomorrow in a joint party room. So the Liberals and Nationals meet on the first day of parliament for the week tomorrow to sect the issue and announce our position. So they haven't come to a position yet.
Speaker 24: Which which is crazy, and they're hiding behind the fig leaf that this is being foist upon them. Everyone knows this system has been broken. No one's been hundred and they weren't prepared to do anything. Here's a labor government, Daniel Murki's treasurer prepared to do something. But they're also saying, oh that they want an inquiry. Here's an idea, Clinton. They are the opposition.
Speaker 2: They sit in the lower House.
Speaker 24: In the Upper House, if you don't like what's been presented to you in the last week, make amendments, use the parliamentary process to make it better.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's what they're discussing right at the moment. So maybe broadly they'll support but with amendments.
Speaker 24: Now, just to clarify, well, in today's AFR, Damien Tudah Hope, who was the Shadow Treasurer, is talking about an inquiry.
Speaker 3: An upper House inquiry about what. Look, the Labor Party loves an inquiry, right, they call reviews it inquiries at the drop of the hat. But the Liberals aren't going to help themselves by doing that. Now, just in case you haven't followed this over the last couple of months, because it's not particularly a sexy issue. But why I'm raising it is because if the premiums go up dramatically for business, it will affect all of us because we all interact with businesses and buy their goods and services, so it will mean things will go up in price. Where the big increase in payouts is occurring is for psychological injuries. Now, I'm not downplaying mental health concerns whatsoever, because most of us now have some sort of connection, whether it's with our own families or our loved ones who have dealt with these issues. It's a big gray area. It is difficult to judge. I don't want to downplay that, but there has been a dramatic increase in claims made through the workers compensation scheme for people suffering these mental health injuries in the workplace. Now, your family, as we know, runs pubs, pretty big, big organization. I've no doubt you would have employees who have made claims for your insurance premiums for your insurance coverage about mental health issues.
Speaker 24: Employers Mutual, and let me give some lived experience with how this system is being gained. Employers Mutual as our employer. They recently pursued an ex employer of ours who we were performance managing because she wasn't doing the job the way we wanted it done. It wasn't aggressive abusive, it was hey, these are the way, these are the parameters. She then went on and claimed stress leave. She was on stress leave for an extended period of time, and just coincidentally, fortunately I happened to learn that you wouldn't believe it. Three suburbs away, she's working running a hotel.
Speaker 3: For my cousins.
Speaker 24: But I thought she was on stress liss She was collecting a check from us every week. Now, the employer's Mutual, at our request, they didn't want to pursue this. We made them pursure it because it would have stayed on our premium.
Speaker 3: For three years.
Speaker 24: Now that it was sheer good fortune that we happened to find out she was working somewhere nearby. But there is a prime example and what did she claim? And this is the part very technical, but section eleven A of the Act. It's where you cannot effectively performance manage your staff because the first thing they do is put up their hands. And we don't have all afternoon. I'm sure you listeners that have businesses out there will be dialing in between five and six and giving you their own lived experience. But it has to be a feed, inconsistent, robust that looks after absolutely the mental health of people in workplace environments. But it can't do that at the expense of throwing employers on.
Speaker 1: The scrap bait.
Speaker 3: And where this is difficult is that And again I'm not trying to dismiss mental health issues, but if somebody breaks a leg in the workplace, it's actually really clear they've slipped on the banana that's been left on the kitchen floor. They're broken their leg. If somebody is bullied in the workplace and then suffers a mental breakdown, it's actually really difficult to prove. So there's no doubt these issues do exist in the workplace. We all know this is what happens. This has happened for generation, and we know we take these issues seriously now. But we also need to modernize the system so we can actually assess those problems fairly, and so we're not ripping ourselves off, because in the end, we're all ripping ourselves off because we end up paying more we pay.
Speaker 24: But the other thing, Clinton is these people at the time that are gaining the system are ultimately not thinking longer term. I mean, once you have this issue sitting against you as an employee, who do you think is going to hire you post this? Yeah, I mean you're basically unemployable because the insurer would be saying to the employer, no, we're not prepared to ensure her because there's a pre insisting for him, because there's a pre existing condition that the system's broken. And it just defies belief that the Party of Small and Family Business in this state, you know, is going to kick it down the road.
Speaker 3: To an inquiry.
Speaker 24: If you don't like it, read it, come up with the amendments that are you know, I would hope further as strengthening eleven A and make the system long term sustainable.
Speaker 3: The text line says the government is causing him stress. Yeah, you might be able to make a claim.
Speaker 24: Yeah, pete, good luck.
Speaker 3: We'll cover that tomorrow because it will be an issue in state parliament tomorrow. Chris means today, I think he's become the first politician to actually make the obvious point. But politicians don't like making it that the high excise on cigarettes on tobacco has led to the growth in the black market of tobacco. Now again obviously running pubs and clubs or pubs, you see smokers and they go to their specific area smoking. What's your experience I have?
Speaker 24: And I find this hard to believe, but I have a great friend of mine that is still a smoker, and recently I asked her about this and she said, oh, yeah, no go.
Speaker 3: I used to pay the full freight, but.
Speaker 24: I now go to the tobacconist and I said, have you've got any cheaper options? And she's paying seven A and eight A nine dollars for a pack of cigarettes.
Speaker 20: What is it?
Speaker 24: It's illegal, chop chop. I mean, you can't have this if you want to have excises at that high you have to be fed income and plice it. And there's no federal or you know, and the state doesn't have the resources. They're frontline policing anyway.
Speaker 3: And Christmans has made the point today at the moment it's up to New South Wales Health. They have something like twelve inspectors and they're going to double it. But Chrismins has said, look in the budget we are looking at whether we now transfer that policing power to the police force itself and Clinton in the fed INCLN department. Again, a lot of these politicians have never run a business. But how hard would it be to walk in as a government employee, built, state or federal and say, can you explain to me, show me the invoices on how you got this tobacco that's sitting on your shelves or in the back store room.
Speaker 10: I mean, it.
Speaker 24: Wouldn't be rocket science, would it. It wouldn't be I mean, we have proceeds of crime legislation where we confiscate criminals, cars, houses, jewelry, you name it, and we do it through forensic accounting.
Speaker 3: This isn't You don't have complicated accounts, you don't need forensic accounting. No, There's a shop I drive past on a regular basis. It has a flashing sign saying vapes. Yes, they not let us sell vapes. You've got to go to a pharmacist.
Speaker 24: That's what I'm saying. It defies belief. I mean, this is a frustrating segment this afternoon, because the world is we're living in a parallel universe.
Speaker 3: Let's lighten up. Was on this day nineteen eighty six Queens A Kind of Magic was released. Begs the question, Craig, what is what is the one album that you would never stop listening to? Look, I got like this.
Speaker 24: I knew this was coming, and you grow up your formative years and year older. I mean it was at Robbie Williams Live at Nebsworth. But look, I just couldn't go by my mum, my dad playing Hot August Night live at the Greek on repeat in those formative years. And my my, I've become a Neil Diamond fan.
Speaker 3: Neil Diamond.
Speaker 25: Is good, good life.
Speaker 3: Well see, I might change the pace here.
Speaker 11: Where do you go?
Speaker 3: I'm sort of into melancholic music, to be.
Speaker 24: Honest, that's really changing the place.
Speaker 3: Favorite album of all time is Jeff Buckley's grace and that's his version of Lenda Collens. How are you? There are some tracks on the album that are a little more up tempo. I think it's his. I think it's thirty years this year since that album was released. Of course he passed away because he went for a swim in the Mississippi River with his boots on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Not never a good plan, which is good ideal. Eight Thanks Greig, good on your Cleeton, Craig Lordy our straight shooter for a Monday afternoon.
Speaker 2: This is Sydney now we've clinton ont GB first.
Speaker 3: Week of winter and very dark around Sydney just after five o'clock. Make sure your lights are onto the car one three one eight seven three. Simon cordisly learned in the program about a broken down camp on Saint Hillier's Road near Parramatta Road. Very busy at this time of the day and actually the car is blocking two lanes now. Simon spoke to the driver and the driver said somebody took his keys. It was a road rat incident. We've just spoken to the police off there. They don't have any reports of keys being stolen. They've suggested perhaps the keys have been misplaced, perhaps the keys have been lost. A traffic crewis and transport crews now on the scene that are diverting traffic around that car. A sixteenage boy has now been charged over the brawl we told you about a few weeks ago in the Northern Suburbs. This occurred at Northbridge. It was a Saturday night a few weeks back in the first week of May. It was a community fireworks event and a brawl broke out involving a stack of teenagers. Officers were told a seventeen year old boy was assaulted by a group of teens. He had suffered facial injuries was taken to Rayal North Shaw Hospital. Five teenagers have been charged so far.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Another teenage boy has been arrested today. A sixteen year old was arrested at Roseville, taken to Chatswood Police station. He's been charged with a frey and common assault. He has been given conditional he'll appear before the Children's Court on the twenty fourth June.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on to gb col now one three one eight seven three.
Speaker 3: It's a past five. I think the job of opposition leader, either at a state or federal level when one of the two major parties has had a thumping at an election. The job of opposition leader after that election, I think is one of the hardest in the country. It is particularly difficult when commentators give an opposition very little chance of winning the following election. It's even harder when the leader of an opposition that is a coalition ends up splitting. When that coalition split Sony a few days into the job. Well, hats off to Susan Lee. She has managed to bring the coalition back together and she now faces the even bigger challenge of taking on a stronger Labour Party with a bigger majority in Federal Parliament. Well today, Miss Lee has toured parts of the flood devastated Mid North Coast and Hunter Valley, which we broadcast from last week. We were broadcasting from tar last week and well done to Susan Lee for making that visit. She's in Raymond Terrace at the moment because I think what he's critical is that politicians in particular don't forget about the flood victims, and too often for us in the city, it's easy once we move on and there are other stories to talk about, it's easy to forget about the suffering that our fellow Aussies do go through in these natural disasters. And it's important for politicians to actually see the extent of damage and Susan Lee has done that today and she joins us in the program. Thank you for your time is Leu.
Speaker 25: It's opposed to Clintindent. It's great to join you and your listeners.
Speaker 3: I know you've only been the job obviously for a couple of weeks and there's been plenty of attention on the dramas that you've been dealing with. But well done for checking out what's occurred in the north of our state, in New South Wales. What have you seen today?
Speaker 25: So important that I do, and so important that everyone who has the privilege of representing any part of this great country takes the time to get out, listen, learn, understand and then advocate. So what I saw in Tari was small businesses that were just devastated. I also checked in on Port Macquarie and I'm here in Raymond Terrace, but the small business is in tai Or just overwhelmed, I have to say, and it was quite heartbreaking to listen to the stories. One business rushed everything into the loft, put everything on the second floor, and then that collapsed and so so much of their stock was just lost in the flood water. They've moved to a new premise, but of course the costs are mounting and people there don't have the money to spend that they might have because everyone's been affected by this.
Speaker 3: Is the government doing enough?
Speaker 25: Look, I don't want to point the finger needlessly at the government, but my job as opposition leader, our job as an opposition is always to hold the government to account. We have to be the strongest possible opposition to do that. There are levels of disaster recovery payment. Everyone is waiting for Grade C and D to be announced and this sort of comes and goes between the New South Wales and the federal government. And what people said to me today was, you know, we're sick of the excuse is it's these people? Know those people know we're waiting for this to happen. Can we please just get it done and get some more help because even that help isn't going to solve everyone's problems. But it's a payment, and you're a small business and you just don't know how to pay the bills that are coming into your household. This money is needed urgently. So one of the takeaways for me is to go back to the Prime Minister and his Emergency Services Minister. I'm not going to automatically assume they're doing the wrong thing, but I'm going to ask the tough questions Clinton, because these people need help. We've got newly elected Allison Pencild, she's out member of parliament there, she hasn't actually had her seat officially signed off, and she's everywhere supporting this community and working incredibly hard. And she said to me today, I'm getting pretty cranky because I need some action. And I saw that and I felt that myself.
Speaker 3: What do you think we do that long term in these areas which are prone to flood And Tari suffered floods in twenty twenty one, not on the scale of Lismall, but they did suffer floods. So many areas are going to be deemed uninsurable. Do you think we need some sort of government intervention for some particular parts of our country that are prone the natural disasters to have some sort of government insurance scheme?
Speaker 25: We need every level of government working constructivy together to do this. And I'd like to see what I saw following the Lithmore floods, which I saw soon after we came into opposition in twenty twenty two, and that is an approach by New South Wales which was under us as Liberals, that puts a fund in place, puts a process in place recognized as everyone can't automatically move back into the same location. They may not want to. It may be two flood prone for the future and actually has a well structured response and you're not simply just covering a loss and waiting for a disaster to happen again. We do have to do better. Look, I have to say that that is happening. That is the approach to natural disasters that the country is moving to with emergency management, resilience recovery. I'm always watching with all this stuff Clinton to make sure there's not too much bureaucracy and red tape tying it all up in knots. When people need help, they need it straight.
Speaker 3: Away, and we need to get beyond band aids. So on to some other issues. You have been criticized for demoting women from the right the right of the party in your shadow cabinet, in your shadow ministry if I can just deal with a couple of them. Jane Hume, did she do something to upset you? Was it the work from home policy the way she handled that during the campaign? Not at all.
Speaker 25: And she and others are enormously talented women and men in my party room, and I spoke to all fifty four of them before I announced the Shadow Ministry, and I made it clear that everyone has a role to play. She will be a Senator of Victoria going forward. Others will have carriage of policy debates and many important issues. I often say, it doesn't matter where you sit in the House of Representatives or the Senate, you can make a difference.
Speaker 3: Have you spoken do with those since she was effectively demoted, because I mean she she spoke on television late last week and says she's straightening up her tir and getting on with it.
Speaker 25: I've spoken to the colleagues many times.
Speaker 3: And not colleagues mishumeough Well, I.
Speaker 25: Certainly spoke to her and we had a detailed conversation around the time of the announcement of the Shadow Ministry, as you would expect me to do. And I spoke to her before that, and I spoke to all of the colleagues before that. And the important thing here is that I said, as opposition leader, I would do things differently. It's a new parliament, it's a new term of government. I selected a front bench to meet the challenges that we will face. But that is not in any way to take away from the skills, the talents, the tenacity of every single member of my party room. Because Clinton being in opposition, you've got to have everyone on the field. It's not a sort of hierarchical, top down exercise. We all have to listen from the glass roots up and everyone has to play their parts. But we're here to work hard for the Australian peace. Every single one of us was.
Speaker 3: Just Iner Price. I know she still has a role, but it's effectively she's been demoted to the outer ministry, out of shadow. Was she demoted to pacified nationals who were angry about her defection to the Lips?
Speaker 25: Not at all. I mean she has a really important role. She proved herself as an amazing communicator and we would all remember her during the Voice campaign. I was delighted to welcome just Center into our Liberal Party party room. She now has a role in defense industry and personnel working with Angus Taylor, and this is a critical area for this country for the future. We're not doing defense well under the Albanesi government. We have to do it better and my team, including Justina Angus phil Thompson, will actually really get this right for a future of our country.
Speaker 3: On defense, there's the story today that the Americans, through the meetings that have been conducted in Singapore, say that we should be spending three and a half percent of GDP on defense, which would be a forty billion dollar a year increase. The Prime Minister has responded to that, he's given no commitment. Should we increase spending to three point five percent GDP?
Speaker 25: We should be increasing our defense spending Clinton because people like Sarranguth Houston, who completed the Defense Strategic Review, organizations like the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, these are really, really, really smart individuals with great analytical minds. They tell us to not by the way, because the Americans tell us, but because it's in our national interest to do so, and we're not spending enough right now to defend ourselves.
Speaker 3: A couple of final questions, Ford and I appreciate your time while you're traveling through the flood zone. Raymond Terrace, I've just seen the latest information from the AEC on the count for Bradfield and just dot intrigued to know whether you've been given any further detail from the Liberal scrutinies on the ground. Gizel Cap Tiering is now behind Nicolett Bullet by twenty five votes in the recount. Do you have any further information?
Speaker 11: I don't.
Speaker 25: It's the recount that we all see at the same time. Clinton. Giselle is an outstanding candidate, a brilliant woman and would be incredibly welcome in our party room. I do hope she gets there. I have everything crossed.
Speaker 5: It's very very close.
Speaker 3: Well the Agatin the gap is actually growing. I've got to ask you this one and I can understand what your response is going to be, But are you a placeholder? I've got a message from Michael here, Michael says Susan Lee. Michael's a former Liberal voter, is going to be Australia's Liz Trusts won't be around too long and unfortunately often after big election defeats, that's what happens to some opposition leaders. Will you still be there in three years time?
Speaker 19: Yes?
Speaker 25: I will Prentident's the greatest honor of my life to have been selected in a ballot in my party room to be the leader of the Liberal Party. I've been in Parliament twenty five years and I've often been underestimated. I flew aerial mustering planes in Western Queensland in my twenties and no one thought I could do that. And I picked up eight hundred fleeces a day running up and down the board in a shed near Saint George in Western Queensland, two in forty degree heat, and no one thought I could do that. And I studied when my three children were small on the family farm and took my baby to work in a capsule so that I could get the qualifications needed to support my family. And I don't mind if people underestimate me.
Speaker 19: That's their business.
Speaker 25: I'm here to do a job, but most importantly, I'm here to do the job that we need to do. It's a tough opposition to hold the government to account and work very hard every single day for the communities like the ones I'm visiting today.
Speaker 3: I'm just getting so many questions from our listeners coming in, so I won't take out much more of your time, but cray Gas, can you ask Miss Lee about net zero? Will you cancel net zero?
Speaker 25: We have to get energy policy right. So there's two things. We have to play our part in reducing global emissions, but not at any cost and certainly not at the cost at the stable, reliable energy grid.
Speaker 3: And so when will you make a decision on that future policy for that zero.
Speaker 25: We'll take our time, we'll work through the policy. It's three years to an election, so we're going to.
Speaker 19: Get this right.
Speaker 3: Just lastly, mister Dutton, and I know you've been gracious in your praise mister Dutton throughout the last couple of weeks, but he has suffered a significant loss leading the coalition in the last month. What is one significant thing that you would do differently to Peter Dutton in the next term.
Speaker 25: We're going to have a detailed review and find out what went wrong where and how and how to do better. If I do want to say that first Clinton, because it's it's not the case that we all know the answers immediately. But I said that the modern Liberal Party needs to respect modern Australia, reflect modern Australia, and represent modern Australia. So we have to meet people where they are and everywhere I go, I talk to people, I listen to them, I ask them what they're thinking, and that feeds into the policy development, which means we will get it right next time.
Speaker 3: I hope a Liberal Party supporters give you a go. Thank you for your time, Susan, Thank you so much. Susan Lee, who is a new opposition leader. If you've got some thoughts on miss Lose so far, how she's performed, let us know one three one eight seven three twenty three past five. When you see something on Sydney's roads that we need to know about, send me a text message zero force of zero eight seven three out seven three or give me a call. Angela's done just that, Hey, Angela, what have you seen?
Speaker 26: I was just coming home from Ashfield's down the back of Enfield and I was overtaken by quite a few police cars, some undercover, and they're all heading to a street just running parallel to Coronation Parade. I think it's talin Bar Street, okay, and there's a whole congregation of them at the end of that street, just before you.
Speaker 21: Get to Georgia's with a road okay.
Speaker 26: Well, and I'm big hurry.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's just just behind Coronation Parade, which is can be pretty busy, isn't it. That's right, So that's neither flower Power.
Speaker 26: Yeah, not far from flower Power. Okay, we'll fast flower Power when the first one overtook me. They're going down Burwood Road, just all in that area around Enfield.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay. My producer has just been in contact with the police. They've confirmed there is an operation now under Wayne Enfield. We don't have any more details, but obviously if there's about six police cars headed there, it's reasonably significant. So there is a police operation Underwayne Enfield. Hey, thanks letting us know about Angelo one three one eight seven three. I'm getting lots of messages still about albums that if there was one album left that you'd listen to for the rest of your life, what would it be? Because Craig Laundy just before five o'clock nominated Hot August Night from Neil Diamond. I'll come to some of your nominations a little later, but just after my discussion with Susan Lee, some feedback here from Steve. Steve, what do you make of Susan Lee?
Speaker 27: Look, I reguess she could be a good leader as long as she sticks with the liberal values as such.
Speaker 3: Are there particular policies that you think she needs to be strong.
Speaker 27: About, sorry, net hero ye, our energy supply, industrial relations. But if she wants to become a labor light and try and win the Greens votes, that she'll fail.
Speaker 3: No, and look there's no point doing that because they're not going to win the far left. But the argument is they probably need to return to the center, Matt says, and thank you if your call. Matt says. I think miss Lee needs to have a conversation with Matt Canavan about references to net zero. She does not have three years. She needs to start making your mind up now. Is in monivel get I Peter god.
Speaker 21: A, Clinton Susan unimpressed. She did nothing for James brand here. But when you were talking about workers com earlier, this is what the liberals let it go on and now labor this is federally and the state government. Every bit of super I'm a small business. Every bit of super I pay myself, and I pay my own I'm self employed, are proprietary limited. The state government classes as wages and I have to pay the I Care Arrath on.
Speaker 3: That the premium for workers comp yere.
Speaker 21: No one can get there. Why isn't she doing something about that. That's an additional cost.
Speaker 3: Well, it is and that's something that the State Liberal Party needs to start addressing. And so they've had a cabinet, a shadow cabinet meeting this afternoon and then there'll be another meeting tomorrow with the Nationals because the legislation is going to go before State Parliament this week to start trying to deal with that. But I know it's a complex issue that involves the Feds as well. Twenty six past five and Josh B with the latest Good Afternoon.
Speaker 15: Clinton WA Senator Derinda Cox has announced a surprised defection, leaving the Greens to join Labor, Prime Minister Anthony Alberanezi confirming she'll be admitted as a Labor member tomorrow. A sixth teenager has now been charged over a brawl in Sydney's North Shore last month, which left a seventeen year old with facial injuries. Doctors are issuing a fresh warning about the run at straight trend, where people run at each other at high speed to replicate high impact tackles fans were spotted taking part in the activity during the Manler game at brook Fell over the weekend, and a global study is found working with a personal trainer can have a major effect on your risk of developing a new or recurrent cancer. Researchers followed colon cancer patients for seventeen years, finding structured exercise reduced the cancer risk by twenty eight percent and also improved survival rates. In sport of huge blow for the Blues and the Warriors, confirmation prop Mitch Barnett has ruptured his ACL and will be out for the rest of the season.
Speaker 8: We'll have more news and sport at.
Speaker 3: Six fifteen degrees in the city, thirteen degrees in the west. The ferries now running on time. Yes, they've recovered after they had to slow down because of the three humpback whales that were discovered near Manly.
Speaker 2: Finance update Deaf.
Speaker 3: Night posting money news from seven o'clock tonight. Hello Dead, Hello to you Clinton.
Speaker 28: How good that we have whales frolicking in the harbor.
Speaker 3: Just phenomenon first week of winter and making their migration north. Yeah, apparently the marine biologists I Spokechs World in the programs is what they do, they pop their head in to see if it's maybe a quiet spot. So she's popped her head in, decided that this ain't quite spot. I'm going to continue north.
Speaker 28: Yeah, wise move the whale highway getting busier by the day.
Speaker 3: Have the market's fair today.
Speaker 6: The markets were.
Speaker 28: Down today off the back of the tariff announcement from Donald Trump, where he slugged the steel and aluminium imports fifty percent. The wave of tariff fear impacted markets, including our own. The ASEX two hundred started lower, it stayed there. It closed off yero point two percent, twenty points lower to eighty four hundred and fourteen. Energy was the worst sector. It was down one point four percent. The oil price also went backwards, and the tariffs didn't help our dollar either. It's dropped back from last week. It's now worth about sixty four point seven US sense.
Speaker 3: Ai US is getting serious. The Business Council released a report today on how Australia can actually make it to the top of the AI tree.
Speaker 28: H It's interesting because AI, artificial intelligence we know, is being held up as the answer to our productivity problems, the big revolution in technology that it does offer, but the business Council's warning that we need to make sure we don't bring in really tight rules and regulations. They argue that if we act out of fear, we could shut down the kind of experimentation that could fix a lot of the productivity problems that we're trying to solve in the first place. So they're warning the government to really ensure that the mandatory guard rails that they consider. Because the governments yet to make a decision on AI rules and regulations. Bear in mind that we need to ensure we don't hold business back, but we need to also regulate to some degree. We can't let it go free for all because it could lead.
Speaker 3: To other problems as well. Now this is a good topic. Imax is releasing plans to win people back to their cinemas that the big screen, because streaming services may be seeing people make a decision to stay at home rather than go to the cinema.
Speaker 28: Well, that's right, and Imax We've already got the great Imax cinema in Sydney. There's four Imax cinemas around the country already, but they want to expand it to nine by twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: They're not cheap.
Speaker 28: The big Imax cinemas. They're four times the size of the average cinema screen. They're about one and a half a million dollars each the Imax cinema screens. But Imax is of the view and the other rivals of the same view, heuts and village. They've also opened big screen cinemas that if you offer this big experience with big pictures, big sound, as well as the whole enticement of people, you play big dollars to see an Imax movie as well, that you'll be more likely to go along and see those blockbuster films than sit at home on the couch and watch it on the streaming side.
Speaker 3: But I guess you've got to offer something more, don't you, Because in this day and age where you've got say an eighty inch TV at home, a lot of people do these.
Speaker 8: They do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's enticing just to stay home. But you know, we're of the same vintage. Would recall back in the eighties when the VCR was launched, everybody said this will be the death of the cinema, and it wasn't. People still like to go out and pity the people who got the beta.
Speaker 2: Beta Max.
Speaker 28: Hey, that old debate I.
Speaker 3: Must have been. I haven't been to the movies probably for nine months or so, and I thought about taking the family a couple of weeks ago, just actually to do something on a weekend. Went through what was on. There wasn't much on, so didn't end up doing it. But I just put the ticket prices on. It was going to be more than one hundred bucks ye before popcorn and anything, just to take the three kids. And that's it.
Speaker 28: You want to ensure that it is worth the bang for the buck for the cinema experience, and Imax is hoping that they will ensure that they can get bums on seats literally, because people going to cinemas is on the decline, not just here in Australia but all around the world.
Speaker 3: Imax Formula one movie is being released this month. I'm going to go to see that on Imax.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 23: Good one.
Speaker 3: Dead Night will be hosting money News from seven tonight. Hi, I d thanks Clinton on Sydney.
Speaker 6: Now a weather update will be here to help in unexpected weather.
Speaker 2: Nrima Insurance a help company.
Speaker 3: Well, you will find it starts to get very chilly at this time of the day. Now the next month's fifteen degrees to the moment. In the city it is thirteen degrees in the western suburbs. It will remain dry this evening though, but it is cloudy, so if you're looking maybe to spot the aurora, you might not see it this evening. Tomorrow partly cloudy day. There is the chance of showers by the evening, maybe even a late storm. Late twenty degrees the top for tomorrow. For Wednesday, cloudy with a shower or two and sixteen. Mostly sunny though by Thursday partly cloudy. On Friday, Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard. If it's happening in your city, you'll hear it on Sydney Now to GB. I've been looking forward to talking to MG. Mark Guy this afternoon because I'm back in business with the tips. Hello MG, Hello.
Speaker 1: Clinton, Happy Monday, my friend. How are you, buddy?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm good because I tip five out of seven this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he celebration, curlabration. Well, don't, buddy, that's nice. I think I got I got five as well.
Speaker 3: I think I tip your mobot tip Penrith against Para.
Speaker 1: Good game.
Speaker 3: It's actually a really good game. Yesterday after he wasn't it the whole.
Speaker 1: Round was good.
Speaker 16: Just a bit of breaking news and it has been has been confirmed and some devastating news that Mitch Barnett has ruptured.
Speaker 1: His a cl and we'll be out for the rest of the season.
Speaker 16: So that's bad news for the Warriors because he's the co captain and bad news for the new South Files Blues. They've got probably three to pick from. You to Kemono, Torell may or Calam Mantney from South Sydney will take his spot, so.
Speaker 1: So devastating news for both the Warriors and the Blues. Mate.
Speaker 3: Big news in cricket today Glenn Maxwell is retiring from one Day's Nationals.
Speaker 1: He had a big show.
Speaker 16: He's an entertainment machine. He years thirty six year old. He's effective immediately. He says he to still be available for t twenties, but with the World Cup looming next year. But he's a bit of Glenn Maxwellt's best.
Speaker 29: Unbelievable, being my relakable thing you're probably ever seeing cricket, staggering solid like one going.
Speaker 19: On a one.
Speaker 29: And he should not have to walk off the party.
Speaker 3: Shit been carried off. That was his two hundred and one against Afghanistan to win the gun Now he played with a broken leg, didn't.
Speaker 1: He there.
Speaker 3: Was it cramped or something, but he was stuffed basically, that's why he said he should be carried off the field a Ian Smith.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and all the shots were so unconventional that he was hitting six's with the back of the bat and it was just it was one of the most phenomenal things you've ever seen in your life.
Speaker 1: And I don't think we've ever seen any walker.
Speaker 16: But he's He's been a wealth of entertainment over the last thirteen years. And he's still available for the red ball. But unfortunately I think that boat sailed. But we might still see him at the two twenty World Cup next year.
Speaker 3: Buddy, Yeah, I'd say, Sony, you keep playing on ID because that's w all the money is. Very late last night I received the text message from our colleague John Stanley from the Night Show here and he said he said to me, I think in jest, there's nothing on TV. Will he miss this drama? Everywhere you look? No dramas for Oscar Piastre, who wins his fifth Grand Prix. The year Tiastre takes the Spanish Grand Prix. It's a McClaren one too.
Speaker 30: We executed everything we needed to today. A great start, that's the first hit. Well, good pit stops, stuck to our guns on our strategy and yeah, and we executed it was pretty much perfectly.
Speaker 3: That is Oscar Piastre. He is potentially our next world champion. I reckonem Jay.
Speaker 16: I think he's just a joy to watch and enjoy. Here is very humble young man. And so that's his fifth for the year. Where is that compared to some of our great Joneses and the Mark Webbers and.
Speaker 3: He so he's now right one a total of seven Grand Prix. I think he's one behind Daniel Ricardo, two or three behind Mark Webber, who's his manager. But if you compare it to previous Australian World champions, the only other Australians who have won five GPS in the year were Alan Jones and Jack Brabham, both won the World Championships in those years.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he'sad what is he? Jesus? He's a breath of fresh areas and there I love him.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm quite a fan of the sports market. What jumps out about this bloke is how cool he is and calm. He doesn't ever react and where that's critical is because where they get it under a lot of pressure, you keep your head well, then you perform well. Now, his main opponents within his team Lando Norris, who's actually prone to making mistakes. The other bloke is the four time world champion Max Verstappen.
Speaker 2: The Dutchess at one point one point.
Speaker 3: Well so Max Verstappan, he was playing, he was playing roller derby out there. He thought he was in Dodger cast.
Speaker 1: He thought it was in Happy Day as the Malachi Crunch.
Speaker 3: Hey, just before I get onto a big drama you're facing at the moment, Kerry asked an interesting question here on the text line MG. She is saying, is it fair that Lockie Galve is able to accrue dally end points when he played for the Tigers and given they were lowered down the ladder with probably fewer star plays, he might have been gathering a lot of points and then goes to the Bulldogs where he's playing in a star studded team that's the top. Is that all fair?
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 16: Look when we go to the Bulldogs, as you say, as Kerry says, it's a star started team, so points will be a lot harder to get for him because he's got you know, five or six other blocks in the team who were high calmer.
Speaker 3: Than it might be hard to make it might be hard to win win points playing for the Dogs.
Speaker 16: Did you see the subtle swipe he had a Benji and the Tigers on his interview?
Speaker 1: I did, oh, just for those Tigers fans put in the bank.
Speaker 16: Around twenty two, Tigers take on the Bulldogs at Kombank Stadium.
Speaker 3: Do you know what stuck out of me with the interview that he did for the Bulldog's website? Exac cut goodness me, it looked like Jim Carey had a dumb and dumber. Well, he's on seven hundred and fifty thousand a year. You think he could afford a barber?
Speaker 1: Oh, hello, are you going to Austria?
Speaker 3: It's not a good look. Serious like he's got a great he's got great parents, mom, dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a look. At these days that all happens at the back, nothing at the front.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm very concerned. MG, you're not feeling too well.
Speaker 16: May I'm like half of Sydney at the moment. I'm just I've had a big week last week up to the origin and back and then had a plan for eighteenth birthday and then I mean got on a dance floor with one hundred eighteen year olds on Saturday night, and I think it might have caught something off one of them.
Speaker 3: Oh you've picked up COVID or something have you?
Speaker 27: Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 16: I've just speaking of any Hour producer and I said, I told him that I've got no taste and.
Speaker 1: I've got the bait, the aching bones or whatever. So I'm going to get I'll get one of them tests. I didn't think. I didn't think COVID was still a thing.
Speaker 3: It's still a thing. I know how a couple of people have had it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll get one of the testimonial You know, buddy, do we need.
Speaker 3: Some remedies for you?
Speaker 1: MG? Well, I already look.
Speaker 16: One of my old ones is I put Vicks on my feet and put socks over them when I go to bed tonight.
Speaker 3: I still remember when I was a little kid getting the vix from mum. I didn't like it.
Speaker 1: It works, it works, So you're looking.
Speaker 3: For someone to apply some vix.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's talk.
Speaker 3: You got some cold and flu remedies for MG. Will take your calls a MG. We'll talk tomorrow.
Speaker 1: If you're well enough, buddy, you love your mate.
Speaker 3: One three one m to the VIX just makes me laugh. Do you remember the Vix when you're a little kid? Do I still just still use Vix? I haven't had VIX for years. Do adults have Vix?
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 3: Sure? Okay? Time for Clinton's quiz. You know how this works. I need two contestants if you'd like to play the quiz this evening. One three, one, eight seven three good prize. We've got a five hundred do lot Winston Blinds voucher. You can upgrade and save with Winston with a Y get twenty five percent off motorized blinds, curtains and awnings. Book now Winston dot com dot Are you but I have a five hundred dollars Winston with a Y voucher to give away if you'd like to play one three, one eight seventy three. This news is breaking. Police have just told us a man has been arrested after a body was located at a home in Sydney's Southwest just in the last half an hour or so. The emergency services has been called to a home on Kembler Street, Croydon Park. They received a core concern for welfare call. Police have inside the house found the body of a man. That man has not been identified, but it's believed the man is aged in his fifties. It appears the man had been stabbed. A thirty two year old man has been arrested the scene. That man has been taken to Burwood Police Station. A crime scene has been established. There is now an investigation so at this point no charges have been laid. Very little is known about what's occurred. But this has just happened in the last half an hour. A body has been found inside a home Kemblet Street, Croydon Park. There had been a call about a concern for welfare. A man who's believed the agent his fifties has not yet been identified. A man has been stabbed to death. A thirty two year old man has now been arrested. One one eight seven three Random Factor of the Day for the second of June. It was on this day a very famous Australian brand changed its name. That's right, Veggie Might actually dumped its name on this day, nineteen twenty seven. They had decided that, being their best interests, the makers of veggie Might at the time to call the spread Parwell didn't go too well, Parwell par w I double l so that decided to be wise to change it back to Veggie.
Speaker 2: Might tell him to expose your minds. You may begin your questioning. Sidney now asks questions his questions. I know how you are and that's a question, right. Clinton's Quiz.
Speaker 3: Let's play the queiz for a Monday evening. We have a good prize to give away this evening. It's a five hundred dollars bout chef for Winston's Blinds. Winston with a y twenty five percent of motorized blinds curtains awnings as well. Book now Winston dot com dot AU. We're gonna play this one all week as well. Guy joins us in Pimball. Hello Guy, Hello, Guy, I hope you've got your thinking cap on. And Kirile in Rockdale Hello Kirile, Hi, you can go first, currily Okay, fantastic. Your thirty second starts now true or false? The Raiders defeated the Roosters yesterday in the NRL. True correct which famous Australian bush ranger was known for his armor neck Kelly correct, I think they all had armor. Cosmo Kramer is a character from which TV show sinel Correct? Which Australian state is the smallest in terms of land size.
Speaker 21: Pasmania?
Speaker 3: Correct? I thought that was actually pretty easy and you got it right eventually, Kira Le, you've got four. You're doing well, all right?
Speaker 8: Guy?
Speaker 3: Your thirty second starts now? Which three colors are on the Irish flag?
Speaker 1: Red? Sorry?
Speaker 27: Orange, white and green?
Speaker 3: Correct? Glenn Maxwell is associated with which sport correct? Was the first skateboard manufactured in nineteen fifty nine or sixty nine.
Speaker 1: Fifty nine?
Speaker 3: Correct? At what Grand Prix did Oscar Piastre last? Claimer?
Speaker 9: Win yesterday?
Speaker 3: Have a go with the Spanish Grand Prix last night? Bad luck guy, Kirile, you're a winner. We're going to send you out about you for Winston Blinds. You can book now Winston dot com dot au. Winston with a y twenty five percent of motorized blinds, curtains and aunings. Congratulations, Kirili. We've been taking calls about albums that you could not live without. I've had a couple of nominations for this one. Claudine says the album would be The Joshua Tree by you too. It's up there with me as well. Carmel says two albums. I'd choose Morrison Hotel from the Doors and also the Eagles Greatest Hits? Can you include greatest hits? I guess so, Mark says, all what about this album of a lifetime? He would have to be Rumors by Fleetwood Mac. Oh good suggestion. Mark Rumor is probably the biggest Fleetwood Mac album of all time. So MG is a little bit sick and he's going to use some VIX. And I wonder whether adults actually use Vix. Well, they certainly do. Josh says, I'm forty eight to use VIX whenever I'm sick of a bad sinus. Grahame says, I use Vix every night. It's great for my sinus problems. A man who loves Vix.
Speaker 6: And now a preview of what's coming up on Wide World of Sports for the Serrato successor, the turbo charged KAK four, Kia's all new small sedan GT line very unavailable. Now find out more about Kia's latest small car.
Speaker 3: It seems it is still popular to have a xed rubble of your chest would be a bit sick, well, in the shape of a V like the histrum.
Speaker 18: With that I don't get that far, butte those naval sprays a pretty nasal sprays.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look I actually the Vick's throat los ca. Yes, that works.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They do the job, mate, they do the job. Aout your reels.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Look, they had a grant good game. It was a good game, good tough Western Derby. They had a crack. They weren't good enough, didn't take their chances. The Panthers have they turned the corner, that's the question. Lindsay Smith's coming on their front rower to talk about that and their upcoming clash with their old teammate Jerome Lui, which would be a right clash there at Combak Stadium. So the Panthers they're off at the bottom of the ladder. Lindsay Smith could find himself in contention for a Blues jersey because Mitchel Barnett. Unfortunately he's out with an ACL so he's missed the rest of the season. We'll also have new South Wales Swift's coach Brandy Aikle on the show. They're eight from eight in super Netball the Swifts they are flying and Craig Gabriel will join us from Roland Garross to talk about the French Open Day Night and Ozzie in Action tonight.
Speaker 3: Just before you go, Hawsey, you are a very stylish looking man. Wonderful haircut. What do you make of Lochland Galvin's haircut.
Speaker 18: Yeah, there's some great memes around with Jim Carrey from Dumb and Dummer at bat.
Speaker 3: It's fantastic, but that's what the kids like these days. Porsey's coming up with wild Wood of sports. So are the latest from the AEC. Nicolette Buller is now twenty eight votes ahead of Gizil cap Tirian in the recount the seat of Bradfield. Don't forget deb Night with Money News from seven o'clock to night before John Stanley at eight, Thank you for your company over the past few hours. We'll do it all again tomorrow. That's Sydney now,