Speaker 1: Slippery Slope, a true crime podcast about maunt iSER and the Missing water Slide.
Speaker 2: With Dave O'Neill and Brad Oaks.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to our podcast Slippery Slope from Dave O'Neill.
Speaker 2: And it's Brad Oaks.
Speaker 3: Yes, now this is the second episode. If you haven't listened to the first one, we'll just recap it very quickly. We went to Mount Isaac.
Speaker 2: We're doing some shows up in northern Glenday.
Speaker 3: We're comedians. If you don't know, we're not journalists, so you can stop all the feedback saying we've had no feedback, but anyway, we're not We're not hardcore journalists. We're comedians. But we discovered a pretty amazing story.
Speaker 2: We thought this town needed a water slide, but.
Speaker 3: Did it get it? What happened There was a bit of an incident. There were a few incidents. It's a pretty incredible story, we thought, with international ramifications. Even though we're talking about maunt iSER, which is the middle of Queensland, in the middle of nowhere, this story went around the world.
Speaker 4: As I said in the end of the last episode, you don't just go to Clark Rubber and buy a massive water slide.
Speaker 2: No, you have to look elsewhere.
Speaker 3: Now, Brad. Water slides they seem to be a particularly Australian thing. I know they're not, but we sort of owned them, and particularly Queensland is my memory, because we're Melbourne guys. Now, we didn't have water slides at our pools and we were growing up, did.
Speaker 4: We No, But a lot of us in Melbourne live very close to the coast.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we went to the beach.
Speaker 3: Yes, there were no water slides there, No.
Speaker 2: And you know you'd either jump off the pier or.
Speaker 3: You serve boogie board.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't think even when I was a kid, I didn't really notice that. I felt like that they started to hit in the late seventies early eighties, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it was mainly Queensland. So I remember going up to queens in nineteen eighty. Dad drove us up there in his Earth and me and my twin brother Glen were in the back. We went to Noosa and on the way we stopped at a water slide, which might have been the sun Shoin coast of the Gold Coaster was one of them. And I was on the side of a hill like a squiggly worm like obviously a couple of dads had made it. Was it embedded, Yes, it was embedded into the ground and occasionally the story would come through of the kid flying off into the grass. And that was my first memory of a water slide.
Speaker 2: Although my first memory of water slide was actually Geelong.
Speaker 3: They still have a water slide park.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I haven't looked it up to see when they first got it, but it was when Geelong started pretending that they were Queensland.
Speaker 2: Yes, well they had to do something they did.
Speaker 4: You know, it's positioned perfectly because you come up to freeway, you see it. Parents must have to distract their children because you just want to go when.
Speaker 2: I go on the waters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not there anymore. I think they closed that down, I'm pretty sure. But Queensland and their relationship with water slides, because there's a hotter climate, it's warmer up there. They get a lot of holiday makers from down South Townsvill's got one. They're all over the shop.
Speaker 4: I suppose it's amusement moving parts. Either it's not.
Speaker 3: Like a ride, you know, or a chair roller coaster.
Speaker 4: Roller coaster was you know the river Caves or something like that. It's basically you erect it and bolted together, and you know, just every now and then you get rid of a body.
Speaker 2: But anyway, more getting rid of bodies.
Speaker 3: Let's talk to someone who knows more about us than this. Andrew pots is at a Gold Coast Journals. Here's the assistant chief of staff for the Gold Coast Bulletin.
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're both good. Now, how long have you lived in Queensland?
Speaker 6: For?
Speaker 3: Andrew in the area.
Speaker 7: For my entire life actually, so I was born on the Gold Coast in nineteen eighty seven, so it's been a while.
Speaker 3: What's your first memories of water slides in Queensland?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean there were always around.
Speaker 7: Of course we're the perfect place for it with the weather and everything, but probably going past the theme parks that we have here. When I was a little kid, so the early nineteen nineties, you'd always see advertised on TV big slides that they had at Wet and Wild, at the SeaWorld and dream World.
Speaker 3: What's your knowledge of the history. Sure, your parents used to talk about it. You're a journalist. Where was the first water slide on the Goldie?
Speaker 7: The first major water thing we had was probably Caid's County water Park, which today is known as Wet and Wild. So that opened in late nineteen eighty four. Of course there was already some small water parks and water features, but that was the first really major one that was entirely based around water slides. That's up at Oxenford. It's next to what's now Movie World.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Then subsequently been ones at SeaWorld and then later at dream World. So it's one of those things that the gol you might say, has quite the addiction to water slides.
Speaker 2: Are there any waterfalls around that area?
Speaker 3: Waterfalls?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I had this theory that the water slide was somebody standing at the top of a waterfall and then they slipped and they fell down, and somebody said that looks fantastic.
Speaker 5: Right, Yes there are.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you go up to curumbin Valley, there's a thing called the Crumb and Rock Pools and that's got some waterfalls there and little rapids that go into the main body of water.
Speaker 2: It could be right.
Speaker 3: I remember Grundies now that that was eighties, wasn't it that had the water slide?
Speaker 5: It certainly did. Yeah. Grundies is actually a really good example.
Speaker 7: So the brainchild of TV producer Reg Grundy, who later went on to produce Neighbors, among many other things. But he decided in the eighties that he wanted to open a theme park on the Gold Coast. But unlike the ones that we have today, this was almost entirely indoors, with one exception water slides. So if you look at the Service Paradise beachfront where the Cavil Mall is today, you know there's a famous Service Paradise sign.
Speaker 5: That wasn't there yet.
Speaker 7: So huge three four story tall floods which they called the flumes.
Speaker 3: Oh right, I remember that. Now this is the one. Now I thought this was an urban meath Brad remember the story someone put a razor blade in the water slide and kids got injured? Did that actually happen there?
Speaker 7: Well, that was actually the thing. It was always widely understood as an urban legend. However, I've met numerous people over the years who worked at Grundies in the early eighties and they swear up and down it happened, and it happened there. The rumor was that they were a couple of lazor blades were stuck with I think chewing gum into some of the rivets coming down that slide. But I've never I've never been able. I've never found anyone that actually says it happened to them.
Speaker 3: Wrong with people they went around when we were kid, I just assumed it was.
Speaker 4: I believed too that somebody ramly scissors A movie world.
Speaker 3: Yeah happened as well.
Speaker 5: I've never heard that one really.
Speaker 3: Dream world had the Blue Lagoon? Is it still there?
Speaker 7: It closed in about two thousand and six when they opened White Water World. But if I'm not mistaken, the physical remains of the Blue Lagoon are still at the back of the park, but they've been closed and inaccessible for years.
Speaker 2: It would make a great episode of Scooby Doo.
Speaker 3: Yes, I've gotten away with of these damn kids. Now, how much do you reckon? It's part of the tourist attraction of the Gold Coast and just in Queensland in general, that is the phenomenon of water slides and theme parks. It must be a huge bonus, is it?
Speaker 5: Very much so?
Speaker 7: I mean theme parks of course are a massive part of our economy, going back to the nineteen sixties and nineteen seventy, so back then we had a chairlift. Actually that went up the Miami Hill and then that later became Magic Mountain theme Park.
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, yes.
Speaker 7: Which was a massive deal in the nineteen eighties particularly, And here's a little fun factoid for you. So their mascot with a character called Raymondo Rabbit. I actually own one of the two Raymondo Rabbit suits.
Speaker 2: Wow, are you trying to get that other one?
Speaker 5: I don't know what happened. I don't know what happened to that one.
Speaker 7: So I've got the suit and I picked it up a couple of years ago for one hundred bucks on Facebook Marketplace. And I've had people ask if I perhaps wanted to part with it, but no, it's the collection.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fantastic, sir. You like an amateur story and this is great. My memory of the first theme park I went to in Queensad was SeaWorld.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 7: It was, Yeah, So that was founded by a guy called Keith Williams who had founded a thing called the Ski Gardens out in Krara on the Nerang River, and he then I think it's nineteen seventy four, relocated to the now SeaWorld site and then yeah, he installed a bunch of slides there.
Speaker 5: The dolphins and it sort of just grew from there. I don't know if you remember this.
Speaker 7: But back in about nineteen ninety they had the Cast of Neighbors come up to the Gold Coast from Erinsborough and visit SeaWorld for reasons I don't remember at this point, and there's lots of loving shots of the cast going down the slides. It was used as quite a big marketing tool for the Gold Coast, both for I suppose people around Australia and for the UK audience as.
Speaker 3: A general Queensland resident and journo. Have you noticed in the last say ten to fifteen years, not just the Gold Coast have gone onto water slides. There seems to be a lot of water slides because we're talking about Mount iSER. Have you noticed that I have?
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 7: I think it's probably something to do with it's a cheaper thing to build these days than it was back in the nineteen seventies and nineteen eighties. I mean even caravan parks these days often have them. Yeah, that used to be quite unusual. Some of these parks have like really intricate structures, so it's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: I was talking about this with Dave is there one that's embedded into the mountain.
Speaker 3: There used to be one in the mountain in the Sunshine Coast. I reckon it was like a swirly like a snake on the side of a mountain as you drove along the namboor yeahah.
Speaker 7: I know, I know the one you're talking about. I don't remember the name of it. I remember going up to the Sunny Coast when I was a kid and they'd advertise it on TV and you'd see the people going down it, and I was always really jealous.
Speaker 5: Because I always sort of looked really really cool.
Speaker 3: Andrew, thanks for talking to us. That's fantastic, no problem at all. How it help Andrew pots that year. He knew his stuffed didn't.
Speaker 4: He sure did. I bet that's very exciting at parties too.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 2: He knows a lot about water slides, that's fantastic.
Speaker 3: But he knows a lot about just Queensland history in general, and not just the academic stuff. He knows the kitchies stuff, which I love. You know, who started SeaWorld all that kind of.
Speaker 4: Stuff, And unlike us, because he's a journalist, that would have all been fact checked.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's succinct. Yeah, so man iSER water slides. Queensland seems to be all fine, But Brad, you can't open up something that a nearby town has already got, or can you? Because an hour down the road from maun iSER is a place called klon Curry. It's not as big as Mount iSER yep, but they do have a water slide.
Speaker 2: Size is relevant.
Speaker 3: Well, let's hear from Daniel Slay, the former mayor of Mount iSER. Yeah, they get a bit obsessed by clon Curry.
Speaker 6: Clon Curry has the great water sligne, but it suits their population, which is four thousand people and it's quite small. So that was what was being suggested to us as a one million dollar water slide. So I knew that we need to go bigger, bigger better. We needed all these communities that are all around Manizer, and we are the hub for the whole north West Stripe. There's nothing for nine hundred k's away, so we need a reason for them to come and use their water slide. Because if we've got the same size water slide as klon Curry, just go to klan Curry and use their water slide. But we've got twenty thousand people, so we need something bigger and better.
Speaker 3: Well, we all want something bigger and better, don't we.
Speaker 2: Brad, We're sure. Remember there was a push many many years ago.
Speaker 4: If you don't know about the fairy penguins in Philham Island, it's a ninety one hundred minute drive down to see.
Speaker 3: The massive tourist attraction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but people were talking about trying to get them closer. You just get the popular ones and you move them and the others follow.
Speaker 3: Commedians to do a routine. We used just said they're all robots because the thirteenth one always falls over the great colon cold.
Speaker 2: Yes, stump penguins, yes.
Speaker 3: Stunt penguins, yes, noting about penguins though, no, sorry, no, that's all right. They do they do slide, They do slide, they do, and they've often they can often use in water slide advertising as well.
Speaker 2: Penguins exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, So clon Curry, well we need to go to the source. We need to actually speak to someone in clon Curry. There's no one better though than the mayor.
Speaker 9: Do you want to come into places as give you a shoulder?
Speaker 10: Greg Campbell, mayor of the Cloncurry Shire clon Curry was here first where over one hundred and fifty years old. Man iSER was one hundred I think last year. You know, most things that has grown man iSER has come from clon Curry.
Speaker 9: Their radio was started with.
Speaker 10: Great assistance from the Clonkerry Radio Committee. But the two places work together. You know, the man iSER Radio is only really as good as far as the competitors go because it's the weekend after the clon Carry one and the mine and the smelter, and that side of man Isa only works really well now because of all the copper concentrate coming from the Cloncerry Shire going up to keep it full. So you know, we really work well together, even though from Cloncurry we know that clon Carry West is just a suburb of c Curry.
Speaker 3: WO it's fighting words, isn't it?
Speaker 2: And I love a bit of rivalry.
Speaker 3: What other famous I mean in football's Carlton, Collingwood, Fort Holden. There's not two giant prawns that's Bana.
Speaker 2: Was there a prawn and a yabby?
Speaker 3: I think there might be. There's only one giant pineapple that's in Naanbore.
Speaker 4: But also see the thing here isn't necessarily that the rivalry is the actual critter so much as it's the giant. You know, there's a giant marina, a giant sheep in yas.
Speaker 3: Giant strawberry and yours shep.
Speaker 4: Yeah and so and all these things that they're trying to lure people there. Other kids can go and play on a giant banana or yabby. I think there's two bananas.
Speaker 3: There's another banana part from the Cops Harbor one which isn't even that big medium sized banana.
Speaker 2: It was and it was green and.
Speaker 3: It goes brown in summer. Okay, so there's a there's a rivalry between Matt Arjen and clon Curry, But hey, there's been no mention of the water side. What is the mayor of Klon curry Greek Camp what does he think about when he hears about man Eyes is going to get a water slide.
Speaker 9: We had a bit of a smirk when we heard that.
Speaker 10: You know, there was a caveat that it just had to be better than clon Curry's and we knew they.
Speaker 9: Could probably be bigger, it might be brighter, but.
Speaker 10: It was never going to be better because it was just in Mount een oOoOO.
Speaker 4: Finding words, but that is commensurate with population. Yes, clon Curry is only a few thousand people.
Speaker 3: Three thousand I think three thousand, and maunt Eyes is twenty or something, So you.
Speaker 2: Could argue that you would have to build a bigger one.
Speaker 3: And then one of klon Curry's not staffed. It's just sits there. They don't need attendance, that don't.
Speaker 2: Need don't need a lifesaver on Jinny, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've seen it. I was there with him and it's not bad. You can hear the water slide in the background as we're chatting. So man Ey doesnt want to build a bigger and better one than Cloncurry. Has there been any examples in Australia near the World of a town getting a water slide as a tourist attraction. I mean, obviously we spoke to Andrew about the Gold Coast. That's obviously different. There's a big urban area, there's heaps of theme parks, but a small town getting a water slide. Have you heard of anything, Brat, I have not, Dave, have you? Well, there is a place in w a good Colan, remote w A and they got a water slide which changed their tourism. Ah, should we talk to someone from there.
Speaker 4: Okay, and just before we talk to that person, thing about having the water slide as an attraction. If you have to sell it to people, which we'll discuss later, then that is a unique selling point to people to say. You know, it's like that episode of The Simpsons, the monorail. It's like saying to people, we're gonna have water slide. Oh yeah, why don't care. It would be bigger than Cloncurry. I'm in yes, yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, And what's Springfield's of course arrival in the Simpsons Selbyville. Let's ring someone from Cooland and talk to them about their water slide. We've got John Bell on the line. He's from Corland. Good afternoon, Well, good morning. Where you are?
Speaker 8: Good morning? How are you this morning?
Speaker 3: Tell everyone where is calling it?
Speaker 4: In?
Speaker 8: W A christ As three hundred kilometers from Albany, three hundred kilometers from Bumbree, three hundred kilometers from Perth, three.
Speaker 3: Hundred kumeters from everywhere?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sound of it.
Speaker 8: Oh, it's fantastic. We're so close to every coast.
Speaker 3: So, John, you involved in getting a water slide for cooling. So who came up with the idea?
Speaker 8: Well? Really, I think it came from the school.
Speaker 2: The school kids.
Speaker 8: Were sort of asked what they thought they needed in the town to make it a good town to live in or you know, make it right up with everyone else. And one of the parents bought it to this Shire council of which I was a member at the time, and we thought, well that's a good idea. So half my own bat I did three trips east to see if we could find one secondhand, because I knew some over there were being pulled down.
Speaker 3: Where did you find it?
Speaker 8: Well, that one came from Budroam. It was a tan of our water slide originally right and a church group I believe had bought the site to have a church to run and still run the church in the buildings, but they didn't want to slide there and.
Speaker 3: So you arranged for it to be bought and are transported to Corlan. I did all that, yep, And I don't want to be vulgar. But how much roughly was the water? How much is it? Because it's quite a big water slide, isn't it looking at the photos?
Speaker 8: Oh? Yes, eighteen menace tall, spiral Wow spiral water slide and Menace tall.
Speaker 3: How much was that how much would that set me back?
Speaker 8: Well, well, really we only paid twenty five grand for it. Wow, you can buy a lot of things when they need pulling down and shifting.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I organized some trailers and trucks and some volunteers to go over there. So we went over there, took us about three days to get there, three and a half days to get there or something straight in a motel only about five hundred meters from the slide itself. Arrange for a demolition mob to pull it down, and we loaded it straight on the trucks there and.
Speaker 2: Then do you remember how many trucks.
Speaker 8: Four truck loads there? And then there was another trial and went over later.
Speaker 3: And then how long did it take to set up?
Speaker 8: Well, for a start, it needed refurbishing, as you can imagine, twenty five year old, fool, twenty year old slide. So the shire called tenders for that, and the best tender came in a two point two million. That automatically meant where we're going to throw it in the bin. I was involved with a little company over there at the time, and I sat down with my partner and said, Rob, what do you reckon? We could do this for so we sat down and we worked it all out and we looked at how much repair work had to be done on the steel work, get it sand blasted, get it painted, and get it erected. So we came up and reckon we could do it. Basically it costs for the count to the shire for about three hundred thousand dollars, which is what we did. Yeah, yeah, yeah, so we said it that made it economical. We sad blasted it professionally. We've got a professionally worlded up and professionally painted in two Pac paints so Primer and services.
Speaker 2: And it was all there. There was nothing missing.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, no, And that's why I bought that one. The previous two I'd looked at one in New South Wales in one in Queensland had all been dismantled. So we didn't have any we didn't have any paperwork. We didn't know how much was there and how much wasn't there. That's what appealed to me about this one.
Speaker 3: Are you there for the opening?
Speaker 8: Ah, A lot of the people were really excited. There's a few negative which you're always going to get. Yeah, Coerland, there was a little town. There's only about Frandred people live in the town. Wow, but it's a shire over one hundred and twenty kilometers long and there's about nine hundred in the shire. We're always going to get a bit of negativity because it's small and we're going to be spending money. But now, of course within it going in it's all accolades. Yeah, accolades.
Speaker 3: How did the water side change the amount of people coming into Colon?
Speaker 8: Then the first few weeks it was up, I saw a bus load came up from Collie. Now Collie is only sixty kilometers from Bumbry on the coast and two hundred cas to cooling. They made a special point to coming up there to use our slide on a couple of occasions. Meriden, which is on the main Great Eastern Highway heading east, is one hundred miles north. I've seen the same thing happen from there, and I've seen people come down from those places book into our caravan park and stay there for a weekend to use it to enjoy the water slide.
Speaker 2: What kind of water do you use?
Speaker 8: It is using scheme water cool and is on the scheme and we use ski water when it comes to our ovals we've got our own dam supply the water for that.
Speaker 3: So, John, are you now known in town as a bit of a legion because you bought the water slide to cool And surely you must get accolades when you walk down the street nowadays.
Speaker 8: Ago back in those days there was seven four and three agains.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Once it's gone up and I realize what it's done for the town and are still doing for the town. Those that were against it at the time were, well, I'm surely in favor of it now and almost try to say they were from day one. That you get you'll get bad with anything you do.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right, John. Hey, thanks for talking to us.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 8: All right, it's been a pleasure.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 3: What a shaker. Small towns and need people like that.
Speaker 4: Br under jump Bell water slide mate. And he's got to ring to it, hasn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Belle, you know what he brought up a very interesting point there. There's always negative people against it, and then eventually they'll try and claim that it was their idea. Yeah, because this is a thing you can suggest a water slider, man iSER, but then you've got to get through council.
Speaker 2: Brad.
Speaker 4: People don't realize that every single bit of infrastructure or play equipment or whatever that you see had to be approved by someone. Yes, and someone had to bring that up. If you try past a park and you see a swing and a slide, somebody had to approve that. Now, that puddle underneath the swing, that happened naturally.
Speaker 3: But also someone probably tried to approve it. Then someone was probably voting against them.
Speaker 2: There probably somebody's saying, I think we've got enough. I think we've got enough swings. One about the calm bitch and the potholes, and there was the eye.
Speaker 4: Watering costs he talked about, Yes, just the idea that that's a movie in itself. That's like a Bruce Willis movie of getting trucks and we're just going to drive over and just put it on shrucks. If he'd bought one of those disassembled ones, yes, they could have got back and found they bought a submarine.
Speaker 3: Yea piece is missing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When he said how much they wanted, he said, there's three hundred people.
Speaker 3: Where are they going to get two point twenty million? Yeah, and that's after they bought the water slide. But they're just a refurbishment someone's trying to rip them off. Now we need more John Bows. Anyway, Look Mount Eyes at middle of Queensland a lot of money. There is money to be had from the government facilities for things like this. Let's cross the Kim Cogglin, she is the assistant mayor of Mount Isa.
Speaker 11: The mining industries all over Queensland give so much in royalties and not enough comes back into the region. So you could apply for two different sorts of funding and we applied. The big amount of funding we applied for was to put toilets and change rooms in all our sporting facilities, which was a great idea.
Speaker 3: Okay, cogo there. As we know, this is a thing about council. Okay. People want different things. People want different things, that's the way it goes. Some people wanted water slides, some people wanted toilet facilities for the sporting grounds.
Speaker 4: Money comes from services, money comes from rates rates. Yeah, but that's not where you're going to find all the money.
Speaker 3: You've got to get government money, like federal government, state government.
Speaker 4: And there's no more money kicking around than before an election.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, so we don't know. But let's see.
Speaker 3: Daniel Slade was the mayor at the time, let's hear from it. She wanted to water slide.
Speaker 6: This was the resource money. So the Queensland government had gone to all the mines in Queensland and said, we want some money from you, and we're gonna put two hundred million dollars to mostly resource communities or communities that support resources for infrastructure. So I think one was like twenty million dollars major and one was one million dollars. So to pacify me, they said, you can have a water slide, but it has to be a million dollar water slide. And at the time this is round one. I was just thankful they agreed. So radio and of course round one was over and we got zilch zero.
Speaker 2: They got zilch nothing. They got not a thing, not even a swing.
Speaker 3: So they put in for the money from the government. They got not a swing, not a part, not a park bench. Throw them a bone, Queenslank government.
Speaker 2: What happened there?
Speaker 3: What happened? Well, let's let's continue on with the story. What else happened. Let's hear again from Daniel Slade.
Speaker 6: So I don't know if he's in the council meeting, but.
Speaker 3: The other council meeting I.
Speaker 6: Couldn't get the counselors to agree to move it into the twenty million slot where we could get a three or four million dollar water slide. They were stubborn on sticking to that one million dollar water slide. So in the end I vibed against everything, and I got a chance to talk to the Northwest the article I sort of talked about, you know, we should have been putting up a lot of projects, and there's no doubt in my mind that, you know, the project that the councilors wanted were toilets and showers for sporting communities.
Speaker 3: Should we hear a bit of the council meeting?
Speaker 2: I think we should.
Speaker 3: I mean, have you been a local council's?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I haven't been at one.
Speaker 3: Surely no, I've never been a council meeting.
Speaker 2: I've never been.
Speaker 4: Normally, I'm straight to you know, the burning torches in the pitchforks and marching straight on state government.
Speaker 3: David, State government.
Speaker 2: You both pass the local local council meetings.
Speaker 3: Local councils, in my experience, attract all sorts of people with all sorts of agendas and all sorts of issues, and there's always fighting and arguing no matter where you are in Australia, let's cross the Daniel in the meeting, actually.
Speaker 6: Special meeting of Man as a city council. The time is now nine oh one. It was my idea for the water slide, but it's not big enough. And as much as I love the one in klon Curry and I get that you don't need a lifeguard, we should be going bigger and better. We should have what Townsfall has. We should have what the Big four has in Caravan Park has. We should have something that is fantastic. You know, we're a city of twenty thousand people and don't get me wrong, I'll be happy with whatever we get, but this should be bigger than better than what we're putting up there. And I think we're missing out on an opportunity here. And I just wanted to explain why I will be voting against this motion.
Speaker 9: Tut.
Speaker 3: That's a council meaning. So they put in for this money, they don't get the funding for the toilets.
Speaker 4: They don't get funding them toilets, which makes me think they have to go to klon Curry, go to the toilet.
Speaker 3: There's still dolets here. They need upgrading.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, no, that was they wanted all the sporting clubs to have upgraded toilets and showers.
Speaker 3: But the good news is bad. They get money for the water slide. But how much do they get I don't know. If they get one million dollars, which is not enough. That's only enough to build like a Klon curry water slide, or as doctor Evin would.
Speaker 2: Say, yes, one million dollars.
Speaker 3: It still makes me laugh. Anyway, a million dollars is only enough to build a small water slide, so.
Speaker 2: One that probably only goes halfway.
Speaker 3: Let's hear back from the council. It's his cargo.
Speaker 11: We missed out on the funding for the toilets and change rooms, but we got the money for the slide.
Speaker 6: It was it was hard, it was hard, and in the end I did get my way and council put our extra million dollars towards it.
Speaker 3: The council missed out on the toilet blocks, the toilet upgrade. They got them million dollars to the water slide, but then they chipped in another million dollars from the rates. Basically they can't counsel money. And I think eventually it was over a million dollars they had to put in because they decided that this they wanted a water slide, and they wanted it bigger than Kloncurry. They only got a million dollars from the government. They had to get another million dollars or so to build it. That's classic council stuff.
Speaker 4: Does beg the question when you're sitting next door to a billion dollar mine, where are you going to get a million dollars?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you think the mine were checking some kind of money.
Speaker 4: If only there was somewhere someone had some cash.
Speaker 3: But as we found out on this podcast, the relationship with the mine is not great. Okay, they've got the money for the water slide. Brad, how do you get the water slide? Do you do what John Bell did and find an old one and do it or do you build something brand new?
Speaker 4: I suspect John Bell got the last decent one.
Speaker 3: Yes. Do you go on Facebook marketplace and put it out there exactly?
Speaker 2: You know, just yeah, looking for a water slide and go.
Speaker 3: Well, we've already heard Andrew Potts from the Gold Coaster, you know, I've got his rabbit costume on Facebook marketplace.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's a significant difference.
Speaker 4: See and This is something else that happens with the innovation when you go all right, we've decided now we want to build a rocket that goes to Mars.
Speaker 2: Who's going to build a rocket?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, exactly. We have no expertise, no, and Facebook marketplace won't help you. Well, let's talk to Daniel from Simplex, they make water slide. He's got something to do with the Mount Isa water slide.
Speaker 12: Daniel labor On from a company called Swimplex. We build water slides and sort of do commercial filtration bits and places, commercial pools, anything aquatics.
Speaker 3: Really, how long have you been involving water slides and pools?
Speaker 12: The company started in the late eighties. I suppose we have to make our own water slides in Coffs Harbor, the town Robb spend most of my life and now we import them from Europe.
Speaker 3: As the demand for water slide it's increased because just doing this podcast, there seems to be a lot in Queensland.
Speaker 12: Now there are a lot of Queensland. Yeah, there seems to be a big push over the last probably ten fifteen years that they've sort of made a decent resurgence and yeah, you're seeing a lot of them in Queensland. Queensland's a bit tough with all the regulations you guys have got there but still seeming to push them through.
Speaker 3: And so what makes a good water slide.
Speaker 12: It's just a gradient, so it'd start to finish. You obviously want to you want a balance of a quick sort of bungee jumping experience if you're going down so quick with the kids and you're also on a family experience with the rafting slide or something where mum and dad can jump on with the kid. Or you want a entry level top, a meandering slide that comes down the hill all ower gradient. Normally we stick to like third four percent up till forty percent maybe for like a thrill ride.
Speaker 3: When counsels or whoever chooses a water slide, are they just like three or four to pick from on or do you design them for what they actually want?
Speaker 12: They're all custom designs, so yeah, we generally get a site plan and have some input from the council and a bit of a demographic for the area and figure out from their door sketch and it's designed overseas. They manufactured. We ratify with austrain engineers and then comes the problem job of installing it. It's way more fun riding them than actually installing in their absolute night meadow.
Speaker 3: Install Okay, you used to build them locally. Now they're built offshore. Where they're building.
Speaker 12: Them Istanbul in Turkey, Turkey. Yeah, Turkey's where a lot of the manufacturers sort of make fiberglass over there. Now it's a bit of a it's a good temperature most of the year around, a sort of cure fiberglass. The labor cost and other bits and pieces. Unfortunately, the way the world works.
Speaker 3: Wow, interesting stuff and being made in Turkey. I didn't know what it. Slights were made in Turkey, did you know that, Bradford?
Speaker 2: I did not know any I don't know what's made in Turkey.
Speaker 3: Turkey's bread, yeah, okay, right, the Turkey must have a huge amount of acting industry that we're not aware of exactly. You know what, though, if you're in the middle of Queens in fact, if you're anywhere around Australia and you're saying we're getting a water slide from Turkey, what are the locals going to say?
Speaker 2: Well, what's wrong with Australian water slides?
Speaker 3: Let's hear from cargo.
Speaker 11: Yep, it was made in Turkey, and we got a lot of flak off that too, like why don't you get someone in Australia to you know, why don't you get local rahra. Well, it's a specialized field like and that's just where the company get it from.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is exciting, Brad. We're at the end of episode two of our podcast. They ordered the water slide from Turkey.
Speaker 2: It's just a matter of time.
Speaker 3: What could go wrong?
Speaker 2: What roll?
Speaker 3: This is a bit of a teaser for next week. This is when things really kick up. Forget about Andrew and his rabbit costume, John Bell and his water slide, and then they say, is ever listen to Mark Miller, who's the guy who is employed to get the water slide.
Speaker 13: From two there was a bit of an issue in the Suez Canal where one of the contenders got hold up and pirates seemed to take a bit of a lake into the slides and off off that went whooa.
Speaker 3: This is where the story gets international. Tune in next week for the pirates. The pirates have not the Caribbean Sews Canal.
Speaker 6: To me, it was like the dogs late my homework. You know, they haven't ordered it.
Speaker 11: So I didn't really believe Jack's parrot's the only pirate I'd like to beat.
Speaker 1: Slippery Slope, a true crime podcast about Male Isa and the missing water Slide.
Speaker 2: With Dave O'Neill and Brado's.
Speaker 3: Slippery Slope is written and hosted by Dave O'Neill and Brad Oak's original use it created by Itinerant Productions. Check out their website. There's some great stuff there. Ww dot Itinerant Production dot com. Editing by Courtney Carthy, published by Neely Media. Thank you to all the guests involved in the making of Slippery Slade, particularly the people of Mount Isa in this episode, Andrew Pots, Daniel Slade, Greg Campbell, Mayor of kroncarry Shire, John Bell and cooland Wa, Kim Coglan and Mark Miller, who will hear more from in the next episode. Find more information in the episode notes are at nearly dot com dot au.