Speaker 1: Hello World, and a song that was singing, come on, get happy, a whole lot of love, and it's what we'll be bringing, will make you happy. We are the three we don't traveling to youngers, Metal and love, and then we'll.
Speaker 2: Keep moming on.
Speaker 3: Something always happens when they have a win together.
Speaker 4: And we get a happy feeling.
Speaker 5: When we're singing a song traveling alone. There's a song that was singing, come on, get.
Speaker 1: Happy, a whole lot of love, and it's what we will be bringing.
Speaker 5: We'll make you.
Speaker 1: Happy, will make you happy.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's not Tony McManus's regular intro, and I keep promising he'll be back. At this stage, it looks like Tony will be back on Thursday morning. He's just taking another couple of days off. The little illness that he's suffering from is just taking that little bit longer for him to get through it. But he's strong and he's got Nathan Kosh looking after him, checking his nose and making sure his ears are okay and all of those things that Vett's do. But we'll get to Nathan in a moment because he's in this morning. But I should say hello. Simon Owen's in the chair again for Tony McManus. Jay, is he a morning, Jay? Yes, good morning Simon. How are you today?
Speaker 7: Good?
Speaker 6: Good, good, well, yes, well it is for Melbournian's but for everyone listening through five double A and six PR good evening to you, because it's just after eleven thirty. It's coming up to eleven forty in South Australia and in Western Australia of course it's just after ten still, yes, and you've got a story to tell us a little later on this morning which will lead into calls. So rub my head, yes, yes, looking forward to that and your calls will be welcome right throughout the morning. One double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. They're the numbers that you can call us on right through till right for the next five and a half hours. I guess you can also text, as we always request for those of you who are a little on the shy side and don't want to ring a radio station. We do love it if you call and we don't buy so you know, so please give us a call. But if you are a little shy, or if your partner's are sleep beside you and you can't wake them and stuff, but you still want to participate. Zero four double seven six nine three six nine three is the text line. But now it's time for this.
Speaker 8: The air.
Speaker 3: Here is my request. You don't have to play, but hope you'll do your best. I've been listening to Sure Ray and you seem lack of friends on me.
Speaker 6: Nathan Kosh with his backing group.
Speaker 7: Yes here, I had to buy them dinner tonight. Yes, it's getting expensive me coming in here. Yes, but it's worth it. Isn't that they do so nice, don't they?
Speaker 6: I think it is. Everyone should have a choir.
Speaker 7: Yes, I think so. We do the deep voice thing and you can mix it, match it and do all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 6: And now here's one of the ladies.
Speaker 7: Well you know it's a little bit different, but anyway we try and match the voices up. I think it seems to work.
Speaker 6: Marvelous. How are you, Nate, I'm very well.
Speaker 7: I'm very well. I uh just had a well flew to Brisbane and back. Well, depending where you are, either this morning or yesterday morning. Yeah, of course we're here, there and everywhere. And we get a line checker flying check every two years. And I did mine and everything went okay despite all the fun and games that we had. Yeah, it's good, So I'm good to go for another two years.
Speaker 6: I was listening. I know I'm not supposed to say this, but I was listening to Kyle and Jackie. Oh what Well. I listened to the podcasts of bits and pieces of their show. And last week, last week, a week before, they did a series of calls where they were talking to air hostesses flight attendants. Sorry, yes, there were the time sign Well, most of them were hostesses and there was there was one bloke who rang in for the segment, but the rest were all women and they were just talking about the things that the games they play, and some of them I wouldn't discuss on air, but there was one that I thought was good. On international flights, a flight to some of the flight attendants play a game called Where's the Cheese? And they get a little bit of cheese while everyone's sleeping, and they put it on a passenger's shoulder, and then then they come back and and then the other flight attendants have to go and find the piece of cheese.
Speaker 7: The things you learn. I'm here for two minutes and I've already learned something so now you're up.
Speaker 6: The front, you're up at the point, were flying the thing.
Speaker 7: You don't get we miss all of that stuff. No, I've not heard of that.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 6: It's a good game though, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Just you know sometimes, you know, when we're bored we get to play ice spy. But that has.
Speaker 6: Very Yeah, something beginning with this, Yeah, something beginning with them moon. Yeah, with.
Speaker 7: Again sky.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's it. Monty Pythons Horizon.
Speaker 7: Yes, Monty Python did a sketch about that, which was very funny. They were playing ice spy and then Michael Palin, who plays the steward, and you know, he comes in and they go, okay, well let's you know, let's let's get things going. It's all a bit quiet back there. Yes, and I think it was John Clees was the captain, and he goes, ladies and gentlemen, there is absolutely nothing to worry. Yes, And Michael Palin's looking out the door. Yes, they're all starting to get agitated. Now again, ladies and gentlemen, the left engine is not on fire and goes on along those lines and everybody starts panicking in the cabin. Now wonderful. Having said that, let me say this we don't do stuff like that. No, we don't muck around with people.
Speaker 6: Do you do when you do make announcements?
Speaker 9: Though?
Speaker 6: Are you allowed to have a bit of personality?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 7: Look, I tend not to because I have no personality, But I do have a few of my colleagues that are very good. But gee, I think well, as with all comedy, you really have to be so very careful and given that it's a professional sort of situation, one needs to be very mindful. But there are those that just have that happy knack of being able to say funny stuff. And sadly that's not me.
Speaker 6: See if I were if I was the pilot, right, if I were you, and you're at Tullamarine Airport in Melbourne and you're heading to Perth, I'd love to just say, ladies and gentlemen just like to change in plans that they were heading west to go to Perth. It's going to take a little longer than usual. Let's just do that.
Speaker 7: You know, yes, well most people we've done it where by mistake, you know you're going to Perth and you say, oh, well you know we're heading off to Sydney and whatever, and you get you get no response. Nobody listens to the so you can probably get away with any many many years ago, in a little airline where I used to work before my current employee.
Speaker 6: I meant to say, you're heading east.
Speaker 11: I know.
Speaker 7: No, it works if you say we're heading west anyway, just to make it sound like it's something unusual, and then most people would go, I meant to.
Speaker 6: Say east, I've just missed, completely missing. But it works the other way as well.
Speaker 7: See that's the sign of a good joke that it works whether you east or west. But yeah, and somebody decided they were just going to do their whole pais Donald Duck. No one commented, No one cared not and listened anywhere. Yes, so it's probably a bit of room for latitude. But no, I'm very mindful of not because the last thing I want to do is offend anybody.
Speaker 6: Or Yeah, now, have you ever had what happens if mid flight a flight attendant knocks on your door and says, we have an unruly passenger. Yes, whose job is that to deal with the unruly passenger?
Speaker 7: They do the flight attendants do, and they're trained. Although we're all.
Speaker 6: You don't get to come down with your hat on look.
Speaker 7: No don't. We don't get involved. We leave it up to the flight attendants. And I think nowadays really since September eleven and what happened there that all of a sudden we've got on a aircraft one hundred and eighty air marshals, yes, three passengers, and everybody's going to get involved, whereas once upon a time they wouldn't. So it has happened.
Speaker 6: And yeah, because I could picture you walking down the aisle with the captain's hat on and a parachute and say you have a choice. That's how the situation.
Speaker 7: Well, we don't have people are sit down, get off. Do we have parachutes? And no, we don't have parachutes, of course not, but well one I'm not going to say, but yeah, it's no, no, we have to leave it to the flight attendants. We leave it to the cabin crew to deal with everything, and they will enlist help or people will be will be helpful. And there was a few years ago, I mean it was all over the media. It's no secret about someone coming back from Bali. What is it about Bali? And was absolutely off their head with something and it took They had some army personnel on board and they got involved as well, and they had to keep this person subdued because for the whole flight, and it wasn't long after take off, this person was just absolutely off their head for whatever reason, be it mental health issue or some sort of chemical and they had to basically sit on them and keep them subdued for the whole flight to get them in and they were going to divertingway. There were reasons why they didn't. They did a great job, but yeah, they had to keep this person under control and were we can look them in the loo or something, well, because we're going to throw themselves around and do that. That's how bad it was. So they essentially just had to just hold hold them down for the whole flight. Wow. And this person just had unlimited energy just just continue to thresh around and be a danger to themselves and to everyone around.
Speaker 6: Wow. So but as the pilot, you get to just turn the radio up and keep the door locked.
Speaker 7: We do, yeah, we do, indeed, But no, they're very well trained and that's what they do. And you know, our job is to fly the aeroplane and make sure we get everybody back on the ground safely, and we leave it to those behind the door to deal with what they have to deal with.
Speaker 6: I've just never understood. You see social media posts and stuff of people going getting angry on off flint about irrelevant stuff. You know, they're they're putting their bag above my seat in the overhead locker it shouldn't be above my seat, and getting angry about it. You just do you want to be thrown off the plane?
Speaker 7: Is We're happy to oblige when people like that, and I've had to do that a few times, But generally, I think it's that people might be nervous fliers or stressed about where they're going, why they're going, that sort of thing, and they just behave inappropriately because they've just got all this tension and they're all wound up, and so they let it out in an inappropriate manner.
Speaker 6: But of how many flights do you do each week? On average?
Speaker 7: Oh, very so can be anything up to twenty yeah, and so.
Speaker 6: Like on probably on almost every flight, nothing ever happened, No does, there's very little has ever?
Speaker 7: What do they say? Our job is ours of sheer board and punctuated by moments of sheer terror's.
Speaker 6: Yeah one double three six nine three or one double three, eight eighty two. If you want to call in, Nathan Costu's here for a while, looking forward to taking your calls. And he is as well as talking airline stuff, which is what I generally talk about with Nathan, he is also a qualified VET, so he's got an enormous brain. You can quiz him on all manner of things.
Speaker 7: If you wild me up too much. Now we're going to let people down.
Speaker 6: Well I could. If I spent the next ten years of my life, I could never qualify to be a vet or a pilot litt alone both you could do both. No, put your mind to it.
Speaker 7: Ten years done. No, I'll start training tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Jay and I were talking earlier off here about the stuff goes in one ear and out the other with us. So I've passed the age of learning. I don't take anything in anymore.
Speaker 7: Well, it's, as someone once pointed out, it's because as you get older, your brain becomes full, so that when one piece of information goes in, it pushes something else out. Yeah, And the trouble is you don't know what's been pushed out until you need it.
Speaker 6: Until you get what gets pushed out. Every day for me is where I put my car keys.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's why they have these whistling ALARMI things for car keys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and air tag things as well, just in case you've left them in the car.
Speaker 7: Exactly.
Speaker 6: A break and back with your calls. Oh, they're coming through now. I got on your Len and Peter and others. We can see the lines winging there with you all. Very soon. We're back. Nathan Kosch is here, and Nathan was about to ask me a question.
Speaker 7: Is that for an air or off? It's just it's it's it's nothing. It would be too boring for Ronnie. It's going to be boring enough off it, but not just I'll ask you in the next break.
Speaker 6: Now we've got Lynn, Peter and Arthur. If you'll hang on just a moment. Guys, Jay, you've managed to find that Monty Python skitch that that we were talking about just a little earlier. Yeah, ready, ready to roll. Let's let's have a listen.
Speaker 12: I spy with minded lie something beginning with X sky high spine mind lies something being able to see.
Speaker 13: Ye.
Speaker 6: Oh god, I'm bored.
Speaker 2: Game.
Speaker 9: Let's play another game.
Speaker 10: Hi?
Speaker 2: Do what.
Speaker 14: Hell?
Speaker 5: And this is your captain speaking.
Speaker 15: There is absolutely no cause for a lack. No, no, no, no, not.
Speaker 2: They're thinking.
Speaker 15: They're thinking, what is there? Absolutely no cause for alarm? About are the wings on fast? The wings are not on fast? Now they're thinking, why should he say that?
Speaker 7: So we say, oh, how are we doing?
Speaker 6: And stopped eating, looking a bit worried.
Speaker 5: Good, hang on, one was.
Speaker 6: Going to the washroom.
Speaker 5: Is he there yet?
Speaker 8: Please returned to.
Speaker 7: Your seats and fasten your safety about.
Speaker 5: Yes, here he comes, going on the arm.
Speaker 3: Like the.
Speaker 5: You will find your knife jackets under your seats.
Speaker 16: I'm sorry, you will find them on the racks about your heads.
Speaker 5: Do not unfast and you're safe.
Speaker 16: Great, Great, that was marvelous, doubled the goose. The scransons above your head are now ready to flag. Please unfasten your safety belts and plus the emergency photo scamps on the back of the seats behind you.
Speaker 13: Love about climbing over the seat, but do not leave your seats.
Speaker 8: Do not panic.
Speaker 16: He will now you, sir, inflate your life jacket and extinguish your cigarettes. Please remove the luggage from the recks above your heads and place it on the recks on the other side of.
Speaker 5: The aircraft, except which you should sit on.
Speaker 6: Look, hang on, hold on, they won't jumped out.
Speaker 5: You know, I wouldn't be surprised that there wasn't some trouble about.
Speaker 9: There.
Speaker 6: It is. It's a great sketch, isn't isn't it? Just the were very good Monty Python And that's one of the rare ones where they actually had a tag at the end.
Speaker 7: It's just about to say. Usually they just jumped from one to the other because they couldn't finish their sketches, could they. They had no.
Speaker 6: Great sketches, but bad at punchlines.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, but that one, it had one.
Speaker 6: It is great. Len Is in Melton High Len.
Speaker 17: Good day, mate, Nathan. I actually ejected a passenger of a cross flood.
Speaker 7: Yes, was it recently? A long time ago?
Speaker 18: Oh?
Speaker 17: Well back yeah, when I was working there in catering, was checking off catering wise, and I was just standing there with the going your frank forward going, and passengers are coming on. We're having it, you know. Than they were settling down and Alaska come. Everyone's going, Happy New Year, Happy New Year, Happy new Just a long time after nine to eleven, this guy and this down and fight and goes happy terrorism. Oh look at the guy and Galley with me. Yeah, you better go and tell the skipople what he said. And he went in and he got turfed out.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. Yeah, No, we don't tolerate that sort of behavior for sure.
Speaker 2: Not.
Speaker 17: It's just one more question, plase, Nathan, have you ever find choppers?
Speaker 6: No, it's a very different skill.
Speaker 17: The reason masking Tony taty. I was on to show his Jackie belgrad and I think it's Tony when I was a right using him one of those old bell gopplers.
Speaker 2: With no doors.
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, mash, yep yep.
Speaker 17: Top chops and it's just head banks to the right, and you think I mean those things normally when they do a bank to the right, they're sort of sort of heading up upwards and upwards. Sit you're back in your suit anyway.
Speaker 7: It depends whether it's a descending turn or a level turn. A climbing turn would sit you back in your seat. Yes, it's what sorry, it's not going to throw you out. No, no, no, Well you've got to have a seatbelt on anyway, because it is open. I mean, there's no way you'd sit in one without a seat belt.
Speaker 19: No, exactly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but speaking of me, and I'll.
Speaker 17: Tell you what, Mike you do some great aas I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: I reckon.
Speaker 17: You've been there for a while, haven't.
Speaker 7: You coming up for twenty five years now nineties. No, not yet, not yet. I was flying, but not with, not with. I was still in the general aviation, building up my hours, getting my experience doing the different jobs that we have to do before we get on. Like Simon working in country radio. Yeah, same sort of thing you do your apprenticeship.
Speaker 17: Rub show. But I didn't do a lot of the MESSI raft anyway. We working international.
Speaker 7: Yes, I started off in international and the jumbos for three years and then came to domestic.
Speaker 17: What what what jumbo? Are you flying?
Speaker 7: The classic jumbos, the old ones? It's with a well for those in the two hundred and three hundreds in the sps. But the old ones still had a flight engineer, and when we started as second officers, we had to do a flight engineer's license as well. So I was sitting in the flight engineer seat flipping switches and pushing buttons. They are a very very manual aeroplane these days, everything's all done by computers. Flight engineers no longer exist except in Russian aircraft. They have lots of flight engineers. All right, cross crowd somewhere along Now, I started in two thousand.
Speaker 17: Two thousand. Yeah, yeah, well in What God and Carrying Tracks International in eighty four and through two seven.
Speaker 6: There you go, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 7: So we might have crossed paths somewhere. I was in the International in two thousand and from two thousand to two thousand and three. But just bringing up that, the bell, Bell, helicopters and MASH. It was sad news this week that Loretta Swit passed away.
Speaker 6: Yeah, very sad, Thank you, Lynn, I appreciate the call. Yes, very sad. Hot lips all the hands. Yes, I mentioned yesterday there were two There were two particular scenes of hers in MASH that I just thought were just just showed what a great actress she was. There was an episode where she had a falling out with the nurses because they never invited her to their games, they never offered her a cup of coffee or whatever, and she felt really sort of ostracized from the rest of the nurses just because she was the boss. Yes, so there's an episode where she has quite a breakdown over that, and I thought she was marvelous. That made me bore my eyes out. And there's another episode where there was a dog, a stray dog that had gone into camp. Yes, and she heard that the dog had been hit by a jeep and died and she lost it over that. And again, just such fantastic acting. And that's the like the serious yes here jerking acting, but comic comic wise, she was fantastic as well.
Speaker 7: But that was the beauty of Mash, wasn't it that? You know? It would go from laughing hysterically to a moment, and often it was Radarr O'Reilly who changed the mood. They'd all be laughing and carrying on and having mud fights and doing whatever, and then he'd stop and get up and prick his ears up and you say choppers, And then everyone had get up and go and clean themselves up because they were wounded coming in, so they could really switch the mood. The writing was brilliant, the acting was amazing, and that's why it's still on TV all these years later.
Speaker 6: Yeah, great series, and Hawk I pretty much just a clone of Groucho Marx. Yes, but what a great job Ellen Elder did of it, didn't he? Yeah? Great character, yes, exactly, all right, a break back with more in a moment. Peter and Arthur, you'll be next. It's twenty five to one in Melbourne, twenty five to eleven in Perth and in Adelaide five after midnight. Nathan Cosh is here talking Pets and jets and we're taking your calls. Peter's in talking for you, Nathan, Good, Peter.
Speaker 19: Yeah, good, good morning guys.
Speaker 20: Nathan. Look, I've been fortunate enough to go and fly the simulators a few times. I'm not a pilot, and I explain to people. Everybody's heard it, but a lot of people don't understand it. You know when you say armed doors at unarmed doors? Yes, and people who's all got to do about the slide.
Speaker 21: In the door?
Speaker 20: I think a couple of years one of the slides actually got deployed on the jets Jet when it landed at Tullim Ring there and everybody's heard it, but nobody understands about it.
Speaker 7: Yes, Well, the doors they can either open just open as is, or they can open and deploy the slide. So when we pull up at the gate and when the caterers are coming in everything, obviously it's not a good idea to have the slide deploy and it has happened around the world at various times, and people have been killed because you can imagine this slide, that the force of this slide has knocked people off catering trucks or knocked them off stairs, that type of thing. And so we arm doors and disarmed doors. So when we disarm them, it means we disconnect the slides from the doors so that they can be opened normally, and then once we all closed up and ready to go, we arm them so that if the door had to be opened in a hurry for an evacuation or whatever, then you push the door open and the slide automatically deploys. So it's something that there's a routine. And now the flight attendants on the other side of the aircraft be left or right. We'll check that the door is armed and disarmed properly, just to avoid the potential for someone opening a door with the slide still attached and a problem.
Speaker 6: How interesting are you looking to become a pilot.
Speaker 20: Peter No, No, I just know somebody. I think the last time I went there, I it's quite easy to fly in, but coming into land, I think.
Speaker 7: It's very difficult, very difficult. Can on talk me up a bit here.
Speaker 20: Yeah, yeah, it's very it's like playing a big video machine when you're in there, and it's a great experience.
Speaker 7: Yes it is. And there's not official simulators, but around Australia, I'm sure in Perth and in Adelaide as well as Melbourne there's a i think they're called Flight Experience or something, and you can go and they have a simulator that doesn't move, but you can do all sorts of fun and games and they'll have generally a general aviation pilot who will take you around because they're well versed in these things and do some fun stuff in the airplane, which of course we don't do fun stuff in the airplane do real I.
Speaker 20: Think we've gone under the Harbord Bridge and gone under the gat Bridge, and it's amazing how you can land in any airport in the world or any runway in the world. Cleaning the computers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh yeah, it's got all of the terrain, it's got all of the visual all the graphics and everything there and it's they're very, very realistic these days. And of course one of the famous approaches was into the old airport at Hong Kong, at Kai Tak, and there was a bit between the building, yeah, and a big checkerboard on the hill, and you had to sort of aim at the checker I never got to flight for real, but I did it in the simulator and you head towards this checkerboard and then you reach a certain height and then you turn off and then there's the runway down there because you couldn't do a straight in approach because.
Speaker 6: The hill was there. So people used to go up on.
Speaker 7: The mountain there with the stand at the checkerboard and take video and so on. And there's heaps of it on YouTube of aeroplanes heading straight for the mountain and then peeling off at the last minute and going in and landing.
Speaker 6: Is that airport still in news.
Speaker 7: No, they stopped it. It was close to town and so they closed it up and then all the buildings shot up. They built all the tall buildings because there's height restrictions on your way into any airport. They have to have a safe display where you know, the aircraft have to be able to move about freely, and so they actually built an island off Hong Kong Yeah, and filled it up, and then they built the new airport there called check lap Cock and yeah, that's where the airport is. But the old Chai Tak closed down many moons ago.
Speaker 6: I just find that amazing. Just go out in the middle of the bay and start tipping dirt in there and they eventually put an airport on.
Speaker 7: The Yep, they do that. And the Chinese are very good at doing things like that. Yeah, they get these infrastructure. I wonder if they can build a tunnel.
Speaker 6: I was going to say, why don't why don't we outsource that because I'm sure the connecting link for Melbourne for from the Ring Road, yes out to the Eastern Freeway that they're doing now. Yes, it's going to take them probably another year or so least at least. Yeah, but I reckon if we got the Chinese people out here who do their stuff, yeah, yeah, it'll be done yesterday. Yeah, they could knock it off in a fortnight at least. Yeah. Incredible. Arthur's in Westwoods.
Speaker 14: Great, Hi Arthur, Good morning, Simon, Nathan and Jay. You know Alretta you're talking about from mash She was also in Hawaii five Oh, occasionally.
Speaker 7: The old one or the new one.
Speaker 6: The one, yeah, the original.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they've remade it. So that's the one with Jack Lord and the one without and the one with Yeah, I was trying to cover. I don't even know in the new one, but if they've changed it all.
Speaker 14: But anyway, I just wanted to ask you, Nathan, do a Marshall still travel on certain planes?
Speaker 7: Yeah, for security reasons. Absolutely. They just undercover people who will go flowing on aeroplanes just in case.
Speaker 14: Another thing I want to bring up. I was watching NBC News the American just before local news, and I've seen something unusual and this time the birds went outside. There was a quite a few pigeons inside the plane that they were capturing.
Speaker 7: What did they were they in this cargo and escaped or something in the hand like.
Speaker 14: I'm not they were just flying in there inside of Yeah, yeah, I'm not sure which company it was.
Speaker 7: They couldn't come in from outside, so they must have somehow without a ticket, not without a ticket and going through security of course, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 14: I'm sure see one being captured. So like you said, there must have been a cargo or for a minute of.
Speaker 7: The scale, maybe a magician had had a bag full of birds that escaped, or.
Speaker 6: If it's just a little like domestic flight and you're going up the stairs the door lie in.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Possibly, Yeah, that's probably the most likely explanation for a bird actually being inside the body of the will.
Speaker 7: You see them in the terminal quite regularly. You see sparrows and things that have flown in when the doors have been open, and you see them flapping around in the terminal, and they do have after hours there are people from the airport with big nets that try and catch them around and chase them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it happens in shopping centers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's right, anything like that. But just when you're talking about Hawaii five Oho and Jack Lord and the building there the Ilakai when he's those who remember he's standing on the bel floor and then yeah, there's a there's a close up of him. Just around the corner from there is a little marina and that marina was from whence the ss Minno departed? Oh was it for Gilligans Island?
Speaker 6: Is that right?
Speaker 7: Yes, So that's where they filmed the Minnow datature for a three hour tour.
Speaker 6: And in the pilot episode, apparently if you look at the background there was the flag was flying at half mast and that was because it was the death of JF. Hayes assassination. Okay, so it was filmed at that time, so the flag was at half mast. I remember reading that as a as a trivial piece and thinking, now you have tom.
Speaker 7: Why is it that if I said to you now, Simon, I'm going to tell you something that is going to save your life. This is going to change your life forever within about ten seconds, you're going to forget it. Yes, But if I tell you who are you? Look, yeah, he is just a nonsensical figure fact or figure or whatever. It will never be forgotten.
Speaker 6: That's the stuff I remember. Yep, pointless, ye rubbish. That's just not important at all.
Speaker 7: I think we're all like that. Really. It's just one of those weird things.
Speaker 6: There was a sketch on a radio show called I'm Sorry, I'll read that again, and it was a John and Betty sketch, male and female having an argument, and the character of John said I've got something to tell you, and she says yes, and he says Cardinal Rieschlou died in sixteen forty two. Oh no, And she says, all right, so mother was wrong. Well, I've always remembered Cardinal Reeschlu died in sixteen forty two. It was just a funny, funny little line. But I remember that, yes, so yeah, unusual fact Bey's mother was wrong. Yeah, exactly. But Cardinal Rieschlue, if you're interested people died in sixteen forty two. And yeah, I don't know why. I've always remembered that.
Speaker 7: When you go on the chase, Yeah, well.
Speaker 6: He wants to a millionaire or hot seed or whatever. Yes, yes, a million dollar question. When did Cardinal Rieschlu die?
Speaker 7: You'll be dreaming at the television?
Speaker 6: Yeah, have you ever done that? Have you ever watched that? One percent?
Speaker 7: Class Bits and Pieces?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I love that?
Speaker 7: Which one the English one, of the Australian.
Speaker 6: One, well, the English one?
Speaker 7: Lee Mack?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Lee is so fun Lee Mack is one of the greatest comic teller. I've ever seen him.
Speaker 7: And have you seen him on? Would I lie to you?
Speaker 6: I've seen clips?
Speaker 7: Yes's just amazing those the people that do that, It is so so funny.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're very good. The original show that I first saw Lee mac on was a show called The Sketch Show, right, and it's some of the funniest television I have ever seen. In my life. Yeah, yeah, the cast I don't know who all the other I don't remember all their names, but there was three guys to girls and they just did all these wonderful sketches. Just pure brilliance, absolutely brilliance.
Speaker 7: I mean, isn't that the thing? I mean, we Australia had its It's a golden period of sketch.
Speaker 6: Comedy when there was fast forward comedy companies. Yeah.
Speaker 7: And Magda Zabanski was in the news as well. He's going through some tough times at the moment. Yes, well macder if you're listening, sending all our love.
Speaker 6: Magda a legend. Yes, we better get another breakout of the way surge and Bob, you'll be up next. Welcome back to Australia overnight. Nathan Kosh is here and we're taking your call. Surgery is in Williamstown High Surgery.
Speaker 22: Shallow boys. I hope you're going having a good night.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you why why are you up the sash.
Speaker 22: I was not even to talk about it, but I've mentioned it briefly. I'm actually airline pilot and I'm on holiday in Australia for the next three months. My daughter gave birth to her to her kids.
Speaker 7: Congratulations you're visiting.
Speaker 22: Yes, yes, thank you. I fly the big E three fifty aircraft is beautiful airpah with whom Turkish Airlines.
Speaker 7: Okay, well Turkish Airlines are coming to Australia now, of course I know, but only the seven eight seven so.
Speaker 22: Well, no, it's actually they come last year and they're flying E three fifty aircraft. At the moment, I actually flew the not the inaugirl but the second flight to Australia on the three fifty aircraft and it is a primary aircraft is flying between Melbourne, Singapore to Istanbul.
Speaker 7: Yes, they're very very good airline. Turkish.
Speaker 22: Oh, it's very good airline and is obviously offer the economy and business class, but is the corptual and the service. It is the main thing. So I love being a pilot is my favorite thing.
Speaker 7: Yes, good and you've been doing it for a while.
Speaker 22: Yes, I come met at the Air Force. Yes, and then obviously the transitioned onto initially the Bowing seven thirty seven and then you know US E three thirty and now the three fifties on the pilot in command, Well done, the captain, thank you, thank you boys.
Speaker 6: Was there always a dream of your surgery from a young boy.
Speaker 22: Of course, you know, my father was actually pilot, so but he was not civilian pilot. He was a military pilot. But I not have much interesting in military pilot. But in Turkey you have to go through the military to actually progress to civilian aircraft.
Speaker 7: Yes, here we have some of some of my colleagues came through the military and others. Most of us came through civilian light aircraft and all the rest of it and then moved on on into the airlines. So that's that's lovely that you hear. For that you're able to take a break and here with your grandchild and with your daughter and William Williams town is a lovely.
Speaker 22: I went to watch I actually went to watch my son's team. There's a big thing going on in Melbourne with social media and I do see it on TikTok as well as a football is futsal And actually I went to watch my son play in more Oban today and this team is actually KFFC. They're getting a lot of publicity online and this and that, but I want to watch them drive from Restown, very underwhelming. My son's team. They destroy they destroy this team I was very underwhelmed.
Speaker 8: You know, I.
Speaker 22: Don't like teams to promote themselves like this Keift team, but they're not delivered on the field. They were embarrassing. They got smashed. Yes, they took a big game on social media, but they're not delivered. You know, it is underwhelming, is embarrassing often. I know they're just kids, but it's not good enough.
Speaker 7: Yes, but isn't isn't it much better to be supporting the team that's doing this ashing rather than the one that's getting clothed.
Speaker 22: Of course, but you know, I see these boys that some of them are Turkish origin, some of the more Greek origin. You think, you know, they have big representation, you know, a big community, but you know, I want to see them do well. And then they're not doing well. Man, You know, you have to represent the community well. And you know this team is Anglo team who I play against. My son is my son is Turkish, but he's playing for Anglo team and you know he playing against his team. You know, I expect you know, the team, you know, they're usually passionate Europeans, but men they play, they're a lavish man, you know, but football is good to see that it's growing. It is growing in the state of Victoria. Yeah, I really like this.
Speaker 6: Yes, now, Sergey, quick question for me because your kids are here, but you're over here on holiday. Could you I would you ever consider like leaving Turkish Airlines and getting a job with the local camping quantas well.
Speaker 22: The problem is is sidneyority with pilots as you under. So i'd live here but three fifty as captain, but probably would not have the same seniority coming onto getting the E three fifty. But I would be your first officer. I'll be senior first officer. Yes, likely so, and this is the problem. You know, I'm fifty eight, I've got seven more years of flying, you know by the time I build myself up as pilot within quantas.
Speaker 7: Yes, you wouldn't get a command. Again, just for those that don't know, most airlines work on a seniority system, so it's based on your date of joining. Oh okay, so as you just you become the bottom of the pile when you join, and then over the years you gradually build up in seniority and then it's yeah, so your ability to be promoted or going onto the different fleets and all the rest of it. It all just depends on how long you've been in the company. So if Sergey was to come to well, any other airline really, although there are some that do contracts, take contract pilots and you can work for a while as you can come in directly as a captain. But yeah, if you're going to join the mainline operation of most of these airlines, be they Vergin, Quantas, whatever, that even with all the experience that Sergei has, he would be the most junior pilot in the new company and have to start again. You don't take your rank with you.
Speaker 6: Is there a logical reason for that? Pure it doesn't make sense them.
Speaker 7: There is in that it's very fair and it's very transparent as far as promotions are concerned, because there are other companies where they don't do it, and you know, nepotism reigns supreme, or if you know you're in favor with management, then people get promoted early on, and so it becomes a bit of an issue, whereas with a seniority number it's transparent to all. And then when they say, right next to you, we've got this number of positions on this fleet, or this number of positions on that fleet and you bid to go across or you put your hand up, and then it just works in order of seniority. So it's not a perfect system, but at least it's yeah that people can't sort of get promoted well out of seniority just because they happen to get on well with the management or that type of thing.
Speaker 6: All right, we've got to get another break in. Thank you, sergery granful appreciate that me sitting back listening to two pilots talk to each.
Speaker 7: Yet accoring a batdroppings, isn't it?
Speaker 6: It was great? Good call back in a minute right over for those on hold, if you'll happily hang on because Gabriel Hodson's about to bring you the latest news, and then Nathan Coosh will stick around because Maggie sent a text through if night flying Bat's a problem and Nathan has said they're not, but it's just led to something interesting Nathan, which we'll talk about after the news if you're.
Speaker 7: Okay we can do that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because yeah, you do occasionally hit things, which we will discuss that and take one of your calls with our number two with Nathan codj Pets and jets here on Australia Overnight.
Speaker 13: Yes, now this is a Stratio Oben Eye with Simon Owen's take.
Speaker 6: You back to your days on the Fox or on Triple M. Sorry, yes, yes, hungry like the Wolf.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, it's not funny. You know we I think we all move with the music of our time, don't we. So when we're when we're young, it's the cutting edge and everything, and then you start to change radio stations and move along with it and that becomes your era of music until you get to the point where you can't hear it anymore, and then it's too.
Speaker 6: Bad because no one's catering.
Speaker 7: Catering for it. Yeah, that's radio for the death work.
Speaker 6: But none of us have hit listeners.
Speaker 7: Now we're all into the gold, that's right exactly. But you know that's at the time though, of course it was you know, we all foot we were you know, yeah, we're pretty cool, and this great music that was going on. And now you look at the revival tours, the defibrillated tour of all of these bands, you know.
Speaker 6: Phil Phil Collins last tour was called not Dead Yet. Yes, yeah, so it sort of says it all, doesn't it. That's the voice of Nathan Kosh if you've just joined us. Simon Owens in the chair for Tony McManus again this morning. Jay is here as well taking your calls, and Nathan Kosh is in the studio with pets and jets. Now just before we do get back to your calls and thank you for hanging on. Maggie did send a text for you saying if you're flying at night, bat's a problem.
Speaker 7: Yes, they're not usually, although I did one night actually ironically landing in Adelaide where Maggie lives. Just as I was touching down, heard a splat on the windscreen and when we tax it back, this was at night, and there was a big, big mark on the on the windscreen and we call the safety officers who were patrolling the airport all the time, and they had a look and they found a poor little fruit bat that it got in our way. But that's a normally very very good at keeping away from aeroplanes because they're so na it's very good. But this one maybe I don't know. I was looking looking for some food or something that you know, you just lose concentration for one minute and it's all over.
Speaker 6: He's probably checking his Instagram might have done. But now you did say that when we spoke about this during the ad break before the news, you did say that on occasions a bird will Yes there's a bird striker, but yes, just hopefully not a large one, but yes, it does happen. And you said something off here that really intrigued me. Do you want to repeat what that was?
Speaker 7: Yes, Well, when just by way of background, with the engines, then we take some of the compressed air out of that engine and then run it back into the cabin as well through an air conditioning machine. But that forms the a the air conditioning and be the pressurization because we pump up the cabin like a pressure vessel. That's why we can fly as high as we can. If we were up at thirty five thousand feet without pressurization, then you know it's not breathe living you would be able to breathe exactly. So they tap air off. Having said that, the newer ones now have separate electrical machines anyway, but most of the aeroplanes have still got where they take the air off or bleed air they call it, and take it away from the engine. And if you look at a modern jet engine. Then the inner bit is called the core, so the actual engine is very small, and then around it you have the fan, so it's like a propeller, but it's all in case within that engine. So the middle bit is the actual engine. The outer bit is just air that gets pushed by that propeller around the side of the engine. Helps keep the noise down, help keep the engine cool, and it's just very efficient way to go. So if you do happen to hit a bird, and we did not that long ago, and it went around the side of the engine and we just felt a little vibration and we're monitoring it and they can. We've got real time data that goes back on the ground and the engineers we're having a look and going, oh yeah, look, everything's fine. You're okay to keep going. But if it goes down the middle of the engine, because it gets very hot, you know, it's up at around seven or eight hundred degrees celsius, you can get a smell of burnt bird, a roast chicken kind of smell that goes into the cabin for a short time.
Speaker 6: KFC because it's delivered because the.
Speaker 7: Bird's gone through the main part of the engine and sort of cooked instantly, and the air that's been tapped off the engine as it goes through thee you still get a little bit of that smell for a short time. So that's a giveaway that a bird has actually gone through the actual court the middle of the engine.
Speaker 6: So ifever you're on a plane and you go it smells like chicken. Yeah, it's a chance you've just collected a poor little birdie on the way.
Speaker 7: Correct.
Speaker 6: How fascinating is that it's always educational working with you, Nathan.
Speaker 7: And for me too. I learned what's about.
Speaker 6: I don't think you learn a lot from me?
Speaker 7: I do, I do. Don't talk yourself down.
Speaker 6: Bas is in North Geelong High bas.
Speaker 8: Hey, you go, he got good.
Speaker 23: Oh, I've had a bad day that I had to go and see my grandfather. He's been dead forty four years and I love him to death. When I was cheap. We don't ever listen together, you don't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 23: He was in World War two.
Speaker 8: Yes, he brought he built a big camp in Walla, Waller for the Croatians because with a nachi's time and we lock them up.
Speaker 7: So like an internment, an internment camp for people. They did that with Japanese people as well, and Germans, I guess too.
Speaker 23: And yeah, and then Brendad when I was seized Europe. Do you know the austrange that they sent there took out eighty percent of Europe.
Speaker 7: With the Australian continue punched well above their weight. Is what you is that what you mean?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 8: Of course, Yeah.
Speaker 23: The grandfather got to Europe. Croatians.
Speaker 6: Thanks for the call, Bas, but we will Yeah, well, we might just move on from that conversation. A fascinating as it as it is, and we do appreciate your call, and you're reminiscing about your grandfather, yes, but yeah, there's just for the time of the morning and the sort of audience we're chatting to, we might just move on from that conversation. But we do appreciate the call and thank you very much for it.
Speaker 7: Yes, war is it's not a pretty thing, is it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 7: On many levels, on all levels.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 6: There's a christ Bergh song, yes, called Borderline, just a lovely one line in it that always struck with me. These are only boys and I will never because so many people were just teenage. Yes, yes, these are only boys and I will never know how men can see the Wisdom in a War. Yes, great, great lyric by christal Berg.
Speaker 7: Very true.
Speaker 6: Jim is in Westwoods Gray. How are you, Jim?
Speaker 23: Not too bad? Good morning, Simon, Nathan and Jim. The song he said about Phil Collins being something that not being dead.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, Phil Collins last tour when he came out a couple of years ago. The tour was actually called the Not Dead Yet Tour.
Speaker 23: Ah, that's very rangel because Pink had a song I'm not dead yet yeah or something like that.
Speaker 6: Who pinched it?
Speaker 7: From whom.
Speaker 23: I would have been Phil Collins. I must have pinched the first, because I don't ever remember Phil Cohen singing that, but I remember.
Speaker 6: I know it wasn't a song. It was the name of his tour.
Speaker 7: Like oh like eagles with Hell freezes over to her.
Speaker 23: Yeah, yeah, I think actually had a song I'm not dead or I'm not dead yet anyway. Nathan, Yes, a walk back. I heard you talking about.
Speaker 14: Toward the shell cats and ginger cats.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 19: Now, I had.
Speaker 23: Three Tordos cats and I named them are Missy because they all looked like clones off each other. And I named the more Missy in memory of one of the other yes, and my last one I had for seventeen.
Speaker 7: Years, which that's a very good deal.
Speaker 23: And like in shop, I remember Diamond when when she died, I rang you and Philip one remember when and I was in shop and you and Philip were comforting me. I thought, I'll never get another animal again. Then I decided to get goldfish and I bought I used to call the black ones goggle eyes. And when I went to the aquarium, he said, I think he said, the proper name for him is blackmore.
Speaker 7: Yeah, blackmore goldfish, that's right.
Speaker 23: I started off with two of them. One I actually started with one, then got another. I had a very large tank. I bought ten all together, and they grew very big. I was still even though they grew big, my tank was very big. I had two pumps in there in case one and anyway, after they died, I thought I'll never get an animal again. But one thing I I told Dennis that one time when one is being what do you know and that someone else doesn't know? And I told him the goldfish have a lifespan of thirty years if they don't get sick. And then I said that can't be possible. I've put a goldfish in the bowl miles dead in a week. So then Dennis decided to look it up. Yeah, and he said longest living goldfish in the wild was forty two years old. Back to the tortoise.
Speaker 7: Cat, yea tortoiseell yep.
Speaker 23: Yeah. The tortoiseshell cats. I had three of them, and I used to know the manager savors in but Gray, I don't know how we got talking about cats. I said to him, I've had three cat tortoise shell cats, the whole female. I've never come across a male cat. And he said to me, I own a male cat. Well, well, why I bring it up because I heard you saying that the male tortoise cats are all born steroids.
Speaker 7: I ah, yes, because no coloring.
Speaker 23: Yes, I go the other thing. I also had two ginger cats in the bath.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 23: I can't remember why you're saying about ginger cats. If you can.
Speaker 7: Remind you, yeah, ninety nine percent of ginger cats are male, one percent of them a female. But the difference between that and the tortoishells is the female ginger cats are fertile, whereas the one percent of tortoiseshell cats which are male are infertile. So how do you make more, Well, they just end up the coat color. It ends up quite random. You can there are dominant and recessive genes. But if you have a look at a litter of kittens, they can be all different colors and sort of nothing like either of the parents.
Speaker 6: So if like a black tom cat mates with a female tortoise shell, you might get some black cats in some tortoishe.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it depends whether the gene is expressed. You need to have a recessive gene. You need to get the gene from both sides, male from the father and mother. Whereas a dominant gene, if there's one one, it's one or the other and that will express that.
Speaker 6: Like your brown eyes and blue eyes.
Speaker 7: Ye, blue eyes are recessive, so you have to have both parents that give you the gene for blue eyes. But you can have two brown eyed parents that give you a blue eyed child.
Speaker 6: Well that's my wife and myself. Our daughter Shannon has blue eyes.
Speaker 7: Yes, because if you both have the blue geen and then just depending on how the egg and the sperm work out, then they can have the blue jeen from the from the mother, a blue jean from the father. And yeah, two brown eyed parents can have a blue.
Speaker 6: Eyes and got the blue from both. My wife and I obviously both have a blue and a brown geen. Yes, yeah, because my sister also has blue eyes and my wife's uncle has blue eyes.
Speaker 7: Yes, so it runs there and the blue hidden in the backward. It can sit for generations before it gets expressed. You have to have a parent. The other parent has to have the blue jean as well.
Speaker 6: And then my second daughter Rachel had like black possom eyes.
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, but you'll still probably yeah, well she could still well carry the blue gen.
Speaker 6: Yeah she might, yes, exactly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's all genetics is incredible.
Speaker 9: It's amazing.
Speaker 6: Where would my baldness have come from? My grandfather on on both sides had here.
Speaker 7: Yes, are you sure that?
Speaker 24: Oh?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, there's a question I've never asked. Oh that's interesting.
Speaker 7: Was there a board milkman? Probably? Godther's got some questions to be answered.
Speaker 6: I'll investigate that a little further. A break and then Bob Lee and Maggie and Norma will be with you in a sick I'm quite thrown. Hello there, welcome back to Australia. Overnight. Simon Owen's in the chair for Tony Mac and Nathan Cosh is here as well taking your calls. Bob is in cue good I.
Speaker 25: Bob, don't morning, should I say? And Nathan last time we spoke, well, recall that you and I cross paths many times without knowing it and hold fast.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's right my the building in which I lived when I was living in Adelaide.
Speaker 25: There's a little old lady called Ilse that was there for about thirty for thirty five years. That was dear old mum that was on the ONUS Corporation committee faithfully for all those years. Yes, anyway, what I was reading about. We all remember the Lufthansa episode with the deranged pilot dropping an aircraft down in the mountains.
Speaker 7: Yeah, German Wings. Yes, it wasn't Loftime, so it was a company called German Wings. Yep.
Speaker 25: And apparently your audio records or the audio records showed or let us all hear the captain screaming and smashing at the door. Yes, and I read with an axe now is that true? Does that means there was an axe in the cockpit in the cabin.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there is a crash axe on board. Different companies will have it in different places. It's not designed as a tool of discipline. It's designed there's different things you can do, like prying open panels if there's smoke or something, or you know, if Heaven forbid there's an accident that you can chop your way out or use it to sort of chop down some trees and things to help build a shelter or that type of thing. So, yes, I remember hearing that, and they must have had that outside the outside the flight deck. So the captain was trying to get his way back in because of course the law of unintended consequences, there's post September eleven, we have a blastproof door and we have an entry system because the doors used to be just left unlocked and people would come in and we have pered and we really have you know, get visitors and things come up. But now, of course since September eleven, then the doors are locked and we can lock it from the inside and prevent anyone from coming in from the outside. And that's what this individual did. Had all sorts of problems, and the captain had gone out to go to the barroom and then wasn't allowed back in and the rest is history. So very very sad, but that's why we have all sorts of medical assessments and things. And the laws are very different here in that if one of our doctors felt that we were of any danger to ourselves or other people, then they have the duty of care and the right to disclose to stop people from continuing on, Whereas I believe in Germany that the privacy laws were such that there were doctors who knew there was a problem but weren't able to actually do anything about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so.
Speaker 7: You'd like to think it wouldn't happen here because if any doctor had concerns and they have to report it, and likewise we would of our colleague if we thought something's not right with them, then we would certainly take steps to make sure that they got help and weren't allowed back in the aeroplane until everything was sorted with them.
Speaker 6: Anything else there, Bob, No, that.
Speaker 25: Was answered my question to stop another lunatic outside in the cabin getting the X.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, we don't have them outside in line.
Speaker 25: No, but the captain was using one in this term.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's right. Well, they obviously stored it out in the cabin. We don't, but he knew where it was.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Oh, yeah, yeah, we have to know where everything is on the airplane, even in the cabin. So yeah, he was trying his best to get back in, but sadly didn't didn't help.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 25: I finally found out if all that well, that yes, it really did happen.
Speaker 7: That's my understanding of it.
Speaker 25: Yes, me the frustrated that poor captain would.
Speaker 7: Have been terrifying knowing that, ye, knowing that you can't do anything. There's if there's an air crash investigations episode where something similar happened in Mozambique, in fact in Africa, where the first officer decided after the captain had left the flight deck to do something, and it also ended the same way. But as I say, we're much more vigilant here and the authorities have more power and they are required to disclose if they feel that someone's potentially got some issues.
Speaker 6: How often, if you don't mind me, ask, how often do you have some sort of medical medical man?
Speaker 7: Now, for norm for generally for private pilots, it's every two years. Once you get your commercial license and everything, it's every year, and then once you hit sixty five, then you've got to do it every six months.
Speaker 9: Ye.
Speaker 7: So I have a medical every six months.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, cool sixty five. I didn't realize you were that on. You look younger than me.
Speaker 7: That's very kind of you to say, signing Leanne is in Mina Anne.
Speaker 6: And Joe Haileen.
Speaker 18: I'm not sure if I can remember. I asked you about my little friend's bat and you said to get to do an emergency.
Speaker 14: Yes, right away.
Speaker 4: Yes, she had some sort of link answer lymphomer.
Speaker 18: Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, she wasn't a well kitten and she just got work, got worth anyway. That's one thing I wasn't sure if I mentioned that she's.
Speaker 7: No, you didn't not the follow up, but yeah, And that's sometimes how it happens that that often they they they're fine, and they're okay for quite some time, and then appear to go downhill very quickly, and then when you have a look at them and you go, hang on, well, this has been building up for some time. Animals have a big advantage over us. And as soon as we're feeling a little bit odd or we notice something a little lump or whatever, then we should get ourselves off to the doctor, whereas animals don't. As long as they're feeling okay, they just keep going, and there can be all sorts of things brewing inside them that just keep going until it reaches a point where it does cause them some problems, and then they'll, yeah, they'll go downhill what appears to be very quickly.
Speaker 18: Also, if I may ask Nathan, I've got a fifteen year old cat in one area, two seven year old cats in another area, and I've got a one year old in another area. How the hell do I integrate them?
Speaker 7: Well, it depends on the individuals. There are some that will tolerate each other, there are some that will become buddies, and there are some that just they will not. Cats are very territorial, and their territory is not one area they've discovered. They've had people that have spent time watching where cats go and what they do, and they'll have a bit of territory here, and a bit of territory here, and a bit of territory there. Where you run into problems is when they're going from one bit of territory to the other because they're going through someone else's territory and so that can cause a bit of a problem. And that's where you get a lot of these fights. When you know when you're getting the cats crossing over, so look, it's worth just trying to see if they'll cope with each other. And most of them will just sort of keep away from each other initially, but if you see that they're getting aggressive, then you're just going to have to keep them apart. You can try if they're indoors, a product that I mentioned from time to time called feely Way, and it's a plug in thing that you put in the wall like one of those air fresheners, and it puts out a pheromone, so a feel good hormone that doesn't do anything for us or any other species. It's specific for cats. There is a dog version of it as well, but if you try that, that can help just to calm them down a little. And you can pick that up from a pet shop. And there's something else you can get from a pet shop that it is a milk protein and it will just help you put it on the food. You don't use the cat dose, who use the big dog dose. And because it's just a milk protein, it's not like a drug that has to have a particular dose, and that can help to take the edge off them as well. And if you do that for a while before you try and introduce them, that may help just to put them in a better frame of mind and they won't get too wound up about sharing territory or finding their own territory.
Speaker 6: Or get them all stoned.
Speaker 7: Well there's that. Yeah, you put them in the room after you've smoked a couple of joints or something, Leanne, then you know, hopefully they and they'll mellow out, although they will be hungry, so you do need to give some plenty of food.
Speaker 6: I'm joking, yes, of course, just just to clarify that, Yes, does that work for you.
Speaker 26: Leanne.
Speaker 7: Sil Keane. Yeah, that's the that's the that's the protein, and it comes in a capsule. You don't give them the capsule. You just open the capsule and then tip it onto their food z y l K E N E and you use the big dog does and they quite like it. So you can just tip it on some wet food because it's a powdered no good on dry food. So yeah, and it will just help to just take the edge off them. So if you do that for a little while, a few weeks before you decide you're going to try and use them. It might just help a little bit as well. And the feely way, so there are things you don't need or for which you don't need a prescription, so you can pick those up and see if they're going.
Speaker 18: To help it all mainly my female yep.
Speaker 7: And give it to all of them. And then that way, you don't just give it to the one that is apparently the bully, because sometimes the bully is only defending itself and the other one it's provoking them so when you're not looking correct and it's just sometimes the body language. So although they're not overtly aggressive, they can be very threatening and it's the one that's reacting that you think is the one that's the troublemaker, but it's just trying to defend itself. So give it to all of them. Try it for a few weeks and then just see how you go. Introducing them for short periods. Start just before they're due to be fed, and then that way you can then put the food back in their areas and so they can just have limited exposure to each other and see if that helps excellent.
Speaker 6: See how you go leand report back in a couple of weeks would be interesting. To hear how it goes. Yes, it's a twenty six to two. That's if you're in Victoria, if you're in Western Australia, twenty six to midnight, and if you're in South Australia it's four after one. More with Nathan cost in a sec We were talking about trivia earlier from Doctor John One reason we like trivia. Each time you successfully answer a trivia question, your brain gives you a small dopamine boost, creating a sense of accomplishment and reinforcing your desire to play again. The dopamine reward not only makes trivia fun, but also strengthens your ability to recall facts more easily in the future.
Speaker 7: Which makes perfect sense. And that's why people get addicted to various things, because you just get a little boost of pleasure with that and say you continue or you want to continue that behavior.
Speaker 6: Yes, so that's why I remember a lot of interesting facts. But I forget to buy a toothpaste when I'm at the.
Speaker 7: Shops, absolutely because that doesn't trigger any sort of enjoyable emotion.
Speaker 6: Toothpaste doesn't make me happy at all. Maggie's in Adelaide.
Speaker 14: Hi, Maggie, Oh hi, Hi there Sime then then name hello Meggie.
Speaker 27: Yeah yeah, Now may I digress somewhat. I don't know which way to go, the one club a slasher, the Chase, yes, or my children and they're different. Three children, dark hair, blue eyes, brown eyes and all that. So which one shall I start with?
Speaker 7: Well, let's start with the one percent club slash the Chase. I do like the Chase, I have to say this English version as well as the Australian version.
Speaker 27: Yes, no, okay, yeah, yeah, I do like the chase, but in that case, I prefer the Australian version.
Speaker 7: Yes, with Larry Ender.
Speaker 27: Yeah yeah, but I think it's a little bit too slow sometimes.
Speaker 7: Well that's why they're using it up with that wheel that they have that boosts the money and that type of thing, because I think they're copying a lot of pressure from the on Channel nine at the same time with todd Woodbridge tipping point and that's a bit more, a bit more rasmetas, so I think they're trying to juge up the chase just a little bit as well.
Speaker 27: Oh I haven't watched the the that one, but I've heard of this. Yeah, but I prefer the Australian version of the.
Speaker 7: Chase, Andrew O'Keefe or Larry Ender.
Speaker 28: Larry and.
Speaker 27: I look, Keith was a flamboyant and I quite liked him despite whatever was.
Speaker 19: You know, his.
Speaker 6: Television persona and perform was exceptional.
Speaker 24: Good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I agree with that, very talented person, the lawyer by training and a singer as well, and nephew of course of the late Johnny o'key.
Speaker 6: Yes, just some character flaws. Yeah.
Speaker 27: So also having said that, I quite like the one said club. It's abstraight thinking, you know, that type of thing, and so perhaps the UK version it really doesn't matter because whatever the questions are, it's not related to that of the UK or.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, because sometimes with the quiz shows they ask very specific sort of English questions or American questions or whatever. So but as you say, with the one Percent Club, they just it's general brain brain teasers and puzzles. I sometimes find it annoying because you look at it, and you look at it, and you look at it, I haven't got a clue. And then when they tell you the answer and explain why you think that is so bloom and obvious? Why did I not see it?
Speaker 6: So I'm pretty good at those pictorial and spacious, spatial, but I cannot, for the life of me do a cryptic crossword.
Speaker 7: Yes, different skills the Sorry, Maggie, I love them. Cryptic crosswords. Yeah, I can't do them either. I think once you've done a number of them, you kind of get the patterns and you get the way that they ask the questions. But I'm like you, Simon, I just you know, some of them have the normal clues and the cryptic clues, and then when you do the normal one and then you look at the cryptic one, you go, Okay, I see how they got that. But I couldn't think to sort that out. But I guess you get used to it, and you get to learn the way that they ask these things.
Speaker 6: Now make you We've got to move on. But what did you want to say about your kids and genetics?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 27: Okay, going onto that of course, mother of three children, same father. The oldest was brown hair, brown eyes, second blonde hair, blue eyes, and the third well then blonde hair, sort of brownish, shy.
Speaker 7: You go one with a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Are you sure you're the mother?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 21: Oh?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, That's what It's funny you say that, Simon, because when my son was born, he was an absolute dead spinning image of me. Yes, and he had I was blonde as a child and blue eyes, and my ex very dark olive skin, very dark hair and brown eyes. And then when Philip was born, they said, well, I'm sure I'm the father, but I can't be sure that my ex is the mother.
Speaker 6: Yes, which people? It takes that moment, Yeah, I go, hang on, yeah, exactly. I got that joke. I always say everything I ever learned I got from comedy Robin Williams when his wife was pregnant with it their first child. As part of his stand up routine, He's up there on stage doing all this stuff and then he says I'm about to become a father, and there's a big round of applause, and he says, I don't know who the mother is. Very funny line. It is, thank you, Maggie. Norma's in w A. Hello Norma, good morning him.
Speaker 7: Good. How's the evening in w A?
Speaker 26: Very pleasantly. I don't think this much rain, but we have a nice day today.
Speaker 7: Lovely, very strange weather we're having, isn't it around the place?
Speaker 26: Very odd? Simon. I was in the hospitality yesterday talking to a dear Christian friend of mine. Now, I asked her a question, what about her faith? I said to her, if Jesus defeated Satan at Calvary, why did he leave him on earth for us to contend with? Her answer really surprised me. Without Satan, the Bible loses all its power, fear, and purpose.
Speaker 7: That's it. Well, you've got to have a bad guy, don't you, and a protagonist in movies and things. Otherwise it gets a bit boring.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, Absolutely, the balance you've got to Yeah, to have good, you've got to have evil, otherwise there's no counterbalance the good. If we never knew what sadness was, we wouldn't know what it's like to be happy.
Speaker 26: That's right, that's correct, that's correct.
Speaker 19: Yeah.
Speaker 26: Now, as far as the genie, I have three children. They I've got one olive skin, brown hair, one freckly skinned, ginger hair, one dad hair, freckly skinned, same father. Unbelievable? Is that variation right throughout my family?
Speaker 7: Yes? Do people ask questions of you?
Speaker 26: Well, it's a funny thing. No, no one's ever no one's ever questioned. But the girls were doing their family trees and they got there, what do you call it?
Speaker 7: When you get your blood tested DNA tested.
Speaker 26: Yeah, and they said to me, there moment shows that were even related to dad's sister.
Speaker 7: That's handy, good to know, will, But no.
Speaker 26: I had never had any doubts or questions, so I'd never questioned it. When they came up.
Speaker 7: With was yes, although you've got to be careful about those DNA tests because a friend of mine who was blonde hair, blue eyes, wanted to see if there was any sort of Scandinavian blood in the family and did the DNA test and found out that preps wasn't.
Speaker 25: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Really it is better to know, though, yeah, I think, yeah, yeah, because it gives you a chance to find out who you're yes, your blood relatives.
Speaker 7: Yes, and well they're talking about that also if you've got any genetic conditions that run through the family, then at least to be able to identify those and then make some decisions if you're going to have kids, that type of thing. But yeah, it certainly was through a spanner in the works when all of that came out. But anyway, well I.
Speaker 6: Did a DNA test and a cousin of mine who also has the same we have our accounts with my heritage. Yes, he also did his DNA and we came up as cousins. So that's andy good. Yeah, that's reinforced to know that. Yes, it's just a peace of mind. Yes, thank you, dorm. We must break. We'll get to more calls after this and you'll be up next. And Annette has called from long Weary. Hi earn it Hi? Hellah, yeah, good, thank you.
Speaker 7: Hello, and Nett Long Warri is a lovely part of the world.
Speaker 29: Oh, I've got a gold Retriever.
Speaker 30: Yes, maybe fifteen months old.
Speaker 26: Right, he's killing me.
Speaker 21: He what sorry, he's killing me.
Speaker 30: He's chewed my out door.
Speaker 6: So he's chewing he's chewing things, is he?
Speaker 31: Oh yeah, I want some.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, if look, you need to give him some sort of diversion. So has he got lots of toys and things that he is allowed to chew a lot of toys?
Speaker 32: But unfortunately I'm a single mom.
Speaker 31: Yeah, I worked twenty four to seven.
Speaker 30: Yeah, so I've can't even taking walking.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well that's probably part of it because he's getting bored and he's starting just to develop an antisocial behavior. If you like one of the things that you can get and they're not terribly expensive. A food releasing toy different brands, as a brand called Kong that's probably the best known of them, and your stuff them full of food. There are ones that you can put in dry food or wet food, but peanut butter or liverwurst or paate or that type of thing, or there's ones that you can put in dry food and as it rolls around, it slowly releases the dry food and that can help to keep him occupied for a while. Now, obviously, if you're giving him that food, reduce his normal meal by that amount. Otherwise he's going to be putting on weight because he's giving him the extra food. But it might be that you need to do something like that to help distract him because they can take some hours for the food to be dispensed, and maybe that's just going to keep him away from chomping on things that he doesn't chomp. The other thing that you might be able to do if you've got a neighbor or a friend that's happy or able to take him out walking and giving him some stimulation, because otherwise, if he's just sort of sitting at home by himself and getting bored, then that's how he's picked up this kind of behavior. So getting a dog walker or a friend or a relative or a neighbor who would be happy to take him for walks might help as well. Just to keep him occupied. I think that's what you need to do, is to displace his behavior and keep him occupied and busy, and then hopefully he won't be doing all the chewing.
Speaker 31: Nathan, he's not on his own, he's.
Speaker 32: Got a partner.
Speaker 7: Yes, even then, you know, it's just he probably wants your company. But yeah, try try the food releasing toys and see if that helps you at all. If not, you might need to find a dog trainer or a dog behavior somewhere in your area there and have a chat with them and see if they've got some other strategies.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I know you said that money's a bit tight. Yeah, maybe just googling, Yeah, absolutely a bit for training. Yeah, there's a lot of training things out there. Just be a little bit wary.
Speaker 7: Some people have got some pretty unusual ideas about dog training. But yeah, have a look on Google and see. But I think you know, because they're so food driven, particularly golden retrievers, then just giving him something to keep him occupied might be it. And it might be that his partner is, you know, not providing him the stimulation that he would otherwise need.
Speaker 6: Good on your net. Good luck with that. Let's know in coming weeks how it goes, if you can help settle him down there, Yes, another break, we'll be back to wrap it up before news. Nathan Cosh is here for only another three minutes before he rides off or flies off into the sunmit.
Speaker 7: So I get on my broom and head off, so.
Speaker 6: We've got time to squeeze one more. Calling Simon's in Colac Hi, Simon, good Simon.
Speaker 29: Yeah, my mom had a little clean can terror and shave a little Sunday's a fox and cocky cross can terror. He lives. He lives for not doing news in ten months.
Speaker 7: That's a great innings.
Speaker 29: And I am the curly head retriever.
Speaker 6: Yes, and it's and when I was.
Speaker 29: Living back and this quite new me, my dog got wet off chain. And when I went on the road, uh, buggies leaguing spreet places. And there's a bit nothing but about muscle cleaned down for me.
Speaker 7: Uh yeah, yeah, my friend Mike is Yeah, anyway I would have yes, so you still see Mike.
Speaker 29: No, I must have off the way in now.
Speaker 7: Okay, one of my one of my dear old UNI friends, whose father, it turns out, who I knew. I didn't know at the time though, was actually a New Zealand World War II fighter race Well really, the course, there's some things and I knew, well, it's her name of Rhodes, first name of Howard, so of course he was known to all and sundry as Dusty Dusty Roads.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, for all the years that I had no idea. Mike only told me later some of his exploits, and I thought, wow, if only i'd known when he was around. Just it's amazing to hear some of the stories of these people, not glorifying anything, but just some of the stuff that they had to do. And they were, you know, sort of eighteen year old kids thrown into the war and yeah, just terrible. But anyway, he was a real character, that's for sure.
Speaker 6: News is coming up a bit very quickly, Bud Tingwell, Yes, actor, and all of a sudden, my night, we're interviewing and he's talking about his time during the war flying planes. Yes, that's right, amazing stories. Nathan Coosh, thank you once again for pets and jets.
Speaker 7: My pleasure lovely to see assignment.
Speaker 6: You'll be back to do it all again next week. Turn back yes after the news. War of your calls one double three six nine three. Let's get some calls happening.
Speaker 13: Now. This is a strangular open eyes with Simon Owens.
Speaker 5: You are my sword. Your love is its own word. I have found gets cars.
Speaker 33: He bye a pound, God knows.
Speaker 14: I try try to hold it all.
Speaker 5: That's why there. That's strong. Actually, that's strom.
Speaker 9: My favorite.
Speaker 5: Self.
Speaker 6: Good sweet. I love the Hoodoo Gurus. We were talking about them yesterday, won't we ja. I've yet just see them live and it's on my bucket. This it's just something I.
Speaker 34: Have to do.
Speaker 9: You haven't seen them live and what's going on?
Speaker 6: It's just they always book gigs on nights I'm working.
Speaker 9: Oh that's right.
Speaker 6: And because I'm casual, I refuse to give up a night's work because but I get paid. Isn't it sick leave?
Speaker 9: That's right. You're going to give them a call or let them know that, you know, do their dates or do their concerts when you're on exactly.
Speaker 6: So if you're listening, guys, just and something close to the Eastern suburbs. If the Doncaster Shopping Town Hotel would do very well for me. If you're playing in Victoria, that'd be very nice. Thanks. Well, if you're doing a gig in Perth, I'll go. I'll take a couple of days off and go and hang out with my mate Oxy and we'll go and see a gig over there. Now our number three of Australia Overnight. Thank you, Nathan Kosh. Nathan Kosh on his way home now he'll be listening and paying close attention and he's waiting for your calls now one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. But Jay, you and I had a chat before the program and you told me little story.
Speaker 9: Yes, I did, told you my story about what happens yesterday afternoon. Everything was going nice and well. Wife and I we were just out in the backyard there planning some herbs and then she said herbs, Yeah, any in particular or different?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 9: Can we go and plant some herbs? Okay, I'm not all well, cart coriander, which I don't like. No, it's horrible, isn't it. Mint?
Speaker 6: All those herbs, yeah, mint, min mint smell nice at least?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you can use them for anything.
Speaker 6: But yeah, a couple of other herbs in there, to some Parsley perhaps.
Speaker 9: Yes, Parsley was in there. Old Parsley got to have Parsley in there. But then she said, if you wouldn't mind, just go around to the shed and get some snail repellents. Yep, so the snails don't have a bit of a lunch on them as well. So I said, yeah, no is that's on the other side of the house. So I went walking and I had which I shouldn't have done. I had my head down while I was walking, which is okay sometimes, but all of a sudden, out of the blue, I hit my head on something and that thing was a it's only been up for a couple of couple of weeks. Actually is the lines, the clothes close lines, thank you, clothesline, which is attached to the wall.
Speaker 6: So it's one of those hills hoist things that you pull it out from the wall, and the Scot's coming out and said into place, and I.
Speaker 9: Didn't realize that it was up in the correct position.
Speaker 6: And you just walked smack into it with no clothes on it. There was no clothes, so it was just the with with no, Oh it wasn't. Sorry, Yeah, I walked into the clothesline with no clothes exactly. Yes, no, wonder you distracted.
Speaker 9: That's right. I was looking down, but yes, I just bumped into it and there was no we weren't trying any clothes on it, so it was just whack straight into it. And it was right on top of my head. I don't know if it's because I'm getting old or anything like that, but that's over on the afternoon or the evening. Smack straight into the clothes Yeah, right on top of the head because I was looking down.
Speaker 2: And Yeah.
Speaker 6: There's wonderful clips that you see on on Instagram and all those social media things, compilations of what we used to see on funniest home videos, all those sorts of things. And one of my favorite ones to see is when people put together a compilation of people walking into garage doors. There's ones where they've got the remote control garage door, so they're inside, they hit the button to lower it and then try and get out before the garage door comes down. It's just run straight into it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's good fun. Actually been safe. But yes, I understand what you mean.
Speaker 6: I hit my head on things occasionally, because because I'm bald, I tend to never I try to never go outside without a hat on because it's and it's not well. I love wearing my hats anyway, but because I'm bald, and because I've been baled a long time, I know, and it happens to everyone who's baled. Once they hit sixty or whatever, plus they end up you end up getting little growths and things that you have to get cut out of your head. It's just a it's a thing for bald people. It always happens. So I always try never to go outside without a hat on. But the problem with having a peek on your hat, on your baseball cap or on the hats like I wear, is that if you are looking down a little bit, you actually don't see me. So I'll walk up to the shops and I'll be walking back and I'll hit my head on tree branches all the time because I'm carrying a bag of shopping and I'm just walking along, and because you're carrying something heavy, you're sort of hunched over, and just a smidge that brings your head down and bang into.
Speaker 9: A tree, yeah, or a door sometimes when you're opening up the door, you know with it?
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I was in a total other world when I was walking around the back of the house there and I just did not realize. I didn't even think that it was up at that time, and I must have been looking down at something concentrating on the ground.
Speaker 6: But just whack, whack into the clothesline. What did you walk into? One double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. I'd love to take some calls on that.
Speaker 7: What hit you?
Speaker 6: Jay was unexpectedly hit by the clothes line? So what hit you in your life? One double three six nine three or one double three eighty two. We've had a whole heapotexts have come through. We've been so busy with Nathan we haven't been able to read most of them out, but thank you Rob, who has texted through about six times now. So I'll read this one out so I can stop texting Rob. We do see every text, but we don't get to read them all out. But Rob writes, get better, Tony, you may be back on May you be back on the airwaves soon? Expecting you to be sharper and more efficient than Melbourne's forward light on your return I reckon if Melbourne won, you might have bounced back sooner. Look forward to when we next get to discuss another topic. Good on your Rob. It's a very kind words for Tony McManus, who I should just reiterate is just is still a bit unwell. He's taking to this morning off. He's taking tomorrow morning off as well, but he's hoping to be back on Thursday morning, Wednesday night Thursday morning for Australia Overnight. Tiffy in South Meringue. My little Brian is doing all right while his mummy that's me, is trying to get the bathroom sorted and waiting for each payday, which is every fortnight. My little Brian is being fed and watered and doesn't give about me. Typical mail, isn't he? God love him? Thank you Tiffy for that one. Mark is in Werribee. How are you Mark? Yes it is yes, Goody.
Speaker 24: Heard you say before that you were part time.
Speaker 6: However I'm a casual employee of the station.
Speaker 22: Yes.
Speaker 24: How many days a week or nights a week do you work?
Speaker 6: It sort of varies. My standard working week is I host a Saturday night show on AW and a Sunday night show, which is remember when then I do a segment with Dennis Walter on a Monday, and I panel usually two days a week for Dennis as well, So that's often the Monday Tuesday. Sometimes it's the Tuesday Wednesday, so it's it's basically a four day week I work, but there's four two five years because if I'm if I'm doing my segment on a Monday, some days I'm also paneling, so it's sort of a two in one. But other days, you know, I'll come in just for the segment, but you know, then I'll be actually paneling a full shift on the Tuesday and Wednesday. So it's a four or five day week most weeks.
Speaker 24: Yeah, because it surprised me when you said it, because it feels like you're on you know, like a full time I listen to you all the time. But you know, the thing that really surprised me, I've never thought of it backwards like this before, but you now talk about the four day work week. Yeah, well, I wonder if it would apply in reverse, like if just say that they move forward with it, right, and full time workers like I'm full time, I work from home, but just say that they move forward and I become a four day week worker. Well, then I wonder if part time workers who work four days a week then say, well, hang on a minute, like yourself, I work four days a week, now, shouldn't I be now be made a full time worker because they're five day worker texing week people are now full time for four days, So then part time four day week is workers the full time?
Speaker 6: Yeah. Look, it's a good question, isn't it. Look I would tend to think that what we would classes full time, I think needs to come down to hours. Like, if you work eight hours a day, five days a week, that's forty hours. But if you work four days a week and ten hours a day, so get in the office at eight, get and finish at six, then if you do that four days a week, that's also forty hours. But if you're a part time or a casual, you might be starting at ten finishing at three, which would mean you're only doing you know, twenty hours a week. So I think it needs to come down to I think a full time job should be depending on how many hours you do each week, rather than how many days it takes to know how many days you're in the office, They.
Speaker 24: Wouldn't want to start counting some of their hours that we be working two days a week.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's the thing for me as well. There's a difference between attending and working.
Speaker 24: But I love all your shows, especially the Back in Time, and I really feel like you're take transport it all back in time.
Speaker 2: It's really great. Thanks so much.
Speaker 6: You're very kind, Mark. I appreciate the call. Thank you. Yes, that's remember when on a Sunday night on AW and the other perk to my job, that's my regular working there's hosting the Saturday Sundays paneling a couple of days, which is pushing the buttons to put the calls and stuff to wear the job that Jay's basically doing here. Now. I do that a couple of days a week for the Dennis Walter program on AW. But I also I'm an occasional footy tech, so when the station's doing football coverage out at the venues at the mcg or Marvel Stadium, I occasionally am out there pushing the buttons out there. I'm sort of emergency relief when other people aren't available or sick. I'll come in and do that, and then I fill in occasionally here on Australia overnight when Tony's away. Yeah, so I've got little extra bits and pieces that pop up once in a while to keep me going as well. But I was a full time employee. This is my thirtieth year here, and I was a full time employee for twenty five years. And it's the last five years I've been casual, which actually it suits me fine. It's a good little life I've got here. They have looked after me.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 6: Appreciate the call. It's nineteen after two in Melbourne. That's nineteen after midnight in Perth, and in Adelaide it's eleven minutes to two. A break and back with you, Katrina and Tony and anyone else who wants to call as well. One double three six nine three, one double three eight eighty two give us a call. We are taking your calls on one double three six nine three and one double three eight eighty two. And Jay's just brought up a news story. I don't often sort of delve into breaking news, but there is stuff happening at the moment. Tourists flee as Mount Etna volcano erupts, one of the world's largest volcanoes, has spectacularly erupted, sending visitors fleeing off the mountain side as lava bombs landed. The story says one of Europe's largest volcanoes has erupted, sending hot ash as high as five kilometers into the air. Mount Etna, on the Italian island of Sicily, close to the city of Catania, erupted on Monday. Video shows people who are on the volcano running for safety, running for safety. One too. A firm told us broadcast to CNN that as many as forty people were on the volcano when it erupted. No injuries have been reported. It is National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology. It sounds like something out of Star Trek, doesn't it. Volcanology Volcanology said there were Strombolian explosions of increasing intensity. Strombolian eruptions are relatively mild for volcanoes and include the ejection of cinders and burning chunks of lava, known as lava bombs, hundreds of meters into the air. Lava flows are often thicker, so they're slower and shorter from a seismic point of view. The values of the magnitude of the trema are currently elevated with a tendency to increase. Further stated, the INGV authorities have said the lava flows were likely caused by the collapse of material on the northern side of etna's southeast crater. So, and they've got pictures there with all the hot spots of lava flowing. That picture of they've got a thermal image and it actually looks like what does that look like to you, Jay? It looks it looks like the outline of somebody vomiting, yes, or from the Simpsons, Madge with the Oh yeah, it looks like Marge. It's got margin's hair.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's a bit of a margin there. And the cat in the hat.
Speaker 6: That's quite interesting. It's it's just the lava flow, but it actually looks the image of it quite funny. It could be cat and the hat as well. Yeah, there you go. Anyway, So if you've got relatives in Italy, get on the blower. See how they're going. More than a million people visit each year, which is relatively easy to hike. So there you go. So that's happening as we speak. Let's get to you called Katrina's in Gippsland. Hi, Katrina.
Speaker 31: Hello, So someone and regarding regarding your comments. Now just maybe you two people might need concussion checks. Yes, And I was just thinking just quickly because I did.
Speaker 14: Jay.
Speaker 31: He asked me how I was, and I just when I rang before, I said better than you, Lovey. Have you ever heard of the Montague Bridge?
Speaker 6: Oh, that's wonderful.
Speaker 31: And that I think you know Shannon Lush, who still works with Dennis Walter. Thank goodness, I could be artic betraying the safety tips and helplines seriously, Jake, because he put me, he just put me on hold straight away to put something a pot like as the shade or something just underneath that spot along the wall of the house so he never walks into that spot where the hanging box for the washing the line comes out again. Yeah, put away, it's going to be fluo and non breakable, lovely fern or something that stays. It doesn't interrupt with the washing hanging down. Yes, and it's lovely to speak. So I haven't spoken you since Christy time, and it's just regarding you. How tall you I can't remember.
Speaker 30: How tall you are.
Speaker 9: Me.
Speaker 6: I'm what they call a Collingwood six footer, which means I'm five foot eleven and three quarters.
Speaker 31: Oh so yeah, yeah, because it's just to be tall and short and whatever. And I thought, well, you know, regarding because you meant to have overhang clear and signs on footpaths anyway, because I bit tall than you and I was shrunk a bit now. But you need a little bonnet or something with a strap on it, or just a round safety helmet with a straps. When you hit your noggin on the branch, it doesn't hat doesn't fall off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I need a stack cat, That's what I need. A stack hat instead of a hat.
Speaker 31: Yes, just something lovely though for the weather, a compliant, you know, depending on the weather. And regarding this last twenty four hours morning was towards the end of the night when people would run into what was going on in Geelong with a lady and I thought, well, mister Dennis Walter might know about this. The lady that was walking through the streets and her birthday suit.
Speaker 6: Yes, on a way to Dennis's.
Speaker 31: Probably Jay was meant to pass it on to you. Then it put me on hold till the end of the show that nobody spoke, so I thought, he does need a concussion check. But the thing was there was a reason for the lady right, are you sitting down firmly?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well I'm standing, but standing for ver Well, that's very good for.
Speaker 31: Your body and exercise. The thing was because the weather, you know, this thing climate changeable weather and everything. You know, most people, you know the brollies that blow inside out when it's windy. Yes, so the only thing she was at the time was the only thing in her wardrobe left that was waterproof to wear down the street.
Speaker 6: Yes, the only thing left in her wardrobe that was waterproof was her own skin.
Speaker 31: I thought you might have enjoyed that. Did he passed that onto you a wee small hours?
Speaker 6: Yes, yes he did that. Yes, yes, yes he did tell me that yesterday.
Speaker 31: Yes, yes, because Damien and them, I thought they would have had a laugh and gig on to Rosses and Rosses might have liked that as well, and give you the big, the biggest hug from Auntiekatrina and i'sided to see you on their ways And Jay I haven't seen the show. And anyway he was on Dealing No deal yet dar J whichever the week he was on, Oh yes, yes, so have to give me the date again when it was on surf they've got back back chapters. We can watch it or something, because it was very funny. But was going to appear on the show. That was very hilarious listening to his dilemma whether he was was takeing this child to school?
Speaker 6: So funny potential.
Speaker 7: That was you.
Speaker 31: Yeah, you were doing the summer broke, weren't you. That was you on air at the time when he was in the dilemma, wasn't it. Yeah, So I was having laughing diggers with him off air that that as that was happening. That's just wonderful to wake up because this morning, I think I just woke up when the story were sort of happening about the lady walking along in a birthday suit. I didn't miss the beginning of it or something that. So it's very very funny, so I thought, and I didn't expect to ring you tonight. I'm just woken up suddenly. And then this fellow that's hit into his own thing that he constructed and put along the wall of the house, didn't.
Speaker 6: He Yes, yes, he's put it on the wall of his house and then walked into it.
Speaker 31: Yeah, that's exactly the way to you both, And it's wonderful happening. Jay on the team, isn't it? It is of the three aw yes.
Speaker 6: It is a good man, Jay, despite what everyone says, I think is a good man. Good on your Katrina, thank you for the call. And Katrina at the very start of that call mentioned the Montague Street bridge. So we were talking about Jay walking into the into the clothesline that is on the side of his house and just not looking, just walking straight into it. Katrina's reference. It's a very Melbourne reference. But there is a bridge in Melbourne over Montague Street and it's a rail bridge, but it's very low and there's a dip in the road for people to get under it. But there's warning things and there's alarm bells and all sorts of stuff there to warn bigger trucks when they're navigating systems are taking them through it. There's lots of things to warn people of height restrictions. But once a week it just seems somebody plows into the side of the Montague Street bridge. So that was Katrina's reference. Jay, better not walk under the Montague Street bridge. That's very clever. Appreciate that, Katrina. I just thought I'd explain that to everyone listening. Through five, Double A and six PR and around the ACE Radio network. That's very good. Thank you. Now just before we break, we'll get to you Tony, Jim and Baser in a sec. But we get press releases and things, and just something caught my eye that I thought was interesting. It's only just come through just before the two o'clock news an email from Milestone Films, who I've not heard of before, but obviously I'm on the list. And they've got new from Milestone on DVD and Blu ray this June. And there's a movie called The Annihilation of Fish and I've looked at it. Okay, odd title, interesting and so I was just reading the blurb during the ad break and I've not heard of this film, and it says it took Milestone. So Milestone is the film company. It took Milestone's Dennis Doris nineteen years to track down the rights to Charles Barnett's magical and Lost film from nineteen ninety nine, but boy was it worth it. Featuring astonishing performances by three great stars James Earl Jones, Lynn Redgrave and Margo Kidder. The Annihilation of Fish is the story of damaged people who somehow managed to rescue one another. So it's out apparently on Blu ray and DVD with lists all the things that you know, all the bonuses, and you get the director's commentary and all that sort of stuff that you get in a DVD. Now, I'd never heard of the film, and I'm just wondering as anyone ever seen it? The Annihilation of Fish described it as lost, a lost nineteen ninety nine film. Does that mean it was never released or what? I'm just bringing it up now because I just saw it and it's fresh in my mind. But has anyone ever seen that film with James Earl Jones, Lynn Redgrave and Margo Kidder? And of course I think Margo and James have both left us, haven't they? But I don't know about Lynn Redgrave. Yes, so Margo Kidder has passed away. James Earl Jones, I'm sure did James Earl Jones pass away or am? I? Yes?
Speaker 9: He did?
Speaker 6: He passed away? When did he pass away? Twenty twenty one?
Speaker 24: Yes?
Speaker 6: I wasn't that long ago, aged ninety three when he passed away. But anyway, the Annihilation of Fish, if you've seen it, I'd love to know, because it just looks. I just I love Margot Kidder and I love James L.
Speaker 9: Jones.
Speaker 6: I don't really know Lynn reg Grave, but yeah, if you've seen it, give us a bass back with more if he calls in the second twenty three to three in Melbourne, at twenty three to one in Perth, and seven after two in Adelaide Tony's in Hamilton, Hi, Tony, Hey you Yeah, I'm good. How are you mate?
Speaker 2: I'm too bad? I know Alida James Browman and we are the James Brawman and Mansie Brown and Daniel Brown.
Speaker 6: And Jason Brown and now they're not names a.
Speaker 2: Fan knowing my step family.
Speaker 6: Oh they was your step family?
Speaker 9: Were they?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I used to go out with Joan.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They good kids, our good kids.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And they a got children and they call me popping.
Speaker 6: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 2: And they got the big grand I'm a great grandpop.
Speaker 6: You're a great grandpop? Now, isn't that lovely? Aren't grandkids special?
Speaker 2: Yeah? They the grandchildren visit me sometimes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: In Hamilton.
Speaker 6: Do they live nearby?
Speaker 2: I'm not too far away.
Speaker 6: That's good. You're lucky then, hey, yeah they hear me.
Speaker 2: They can hear me talk.
Speaker 6: They hear you talking on the radio, do they?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they hear me talk on the radio when I'm talking.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Nice.
Speaker 2: I don't trade them with Decius. No, of course, I don't trade anyone with Diius. Come to think abound. And I'm pretty ane.
Speaker 6: And You've always been very pleasant to chat to here. I've never heard you be disrespectful to anyone.
Speaker 2: No, Tony McManus, Toney's.
Speaker 6: Off crook at the moment. So it's Simon On this morning. I'm d Yeah, that's me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know I was in Simon. I used to work in all the springs. I met Prince William and I know King Chunging's you're long, and I know Hanny Jones and Carli Mana.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I didn't know you knew Kyley. I haven't heard that.
Speaker 2: Man tell him my nin point now but York he's Noman bind Off Queens member of Michael Watchinson.
Speaker 6: All right, yeah, back when Carley and Michael were dating. When they esse, Yeah, back when Kylie and Michael were dating. Hey, I lunch of.
Speaker 2: Them in the restaurant. Now, watched me play when I was all right, I was how we Yeah, And then it says she seems I'm old. Yeah, pony boys always, that's a pretty cool story.
Speaker 6: Wonderful. And how you're traveling, you are, right, Tony, you're doing well.
Speaker 2: I'm not too bad of I beg injured a few suns before I got the bike and making and baking back. But I'm not too bad. Oh. I can still walk and I'm not there then wheelchair any more.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're not in too much pain or anything on versions the pain okay, yeah, so you've still got a bit of pain there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well pa back.
Speaker 6: Ye, I'm not surprised. Well, once you break those things, once you once you break those things, it's it's a bit tough, isn't.
Speaker 2: It be mistaken with me? Brother John?
Speaker 6: Do you look do you to look alike?
Speaker 2: Do you no a little bit of like?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: John passed away? Oh okay, well he doesn't anymore, all.
Speaker 6: Right, okay, yeah, well.
Speaker 2: The gas and all these businesses.
Speaker 6: Right, yeah, there you go. Well, it's good to hear your voice. Tiny, It's I'm glad you're okay, and sorry you're still in a bit of pain there. But it's not surprising really after the injuries.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, I'm like to tago out on my Cosins in Melbourne on my uncle, how many are they? I'm from jon in an engraved family.
Speaker 6: Well, if if any of them are listening at this time of the morning, I'm sure they'll be sitting bolt up right going. That's cousin Tony and John back.
Speaker 2: Young from Geelong and later in Jevan and Nadia.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, well there we go, so covered off all the cheerios. It's lovely, good on your Tony, lovely to chat to you as always, and we'll do it again soon. Jim's in Westwood's great Hi Jim.
Speaker 23: Hi, Simon and Jay and a few things. Simon, first or all, I want to start off with the movie. You don't like horror movies, do you, Simon?
Speaker 6: I love a thriller more than a horror.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I love a mom and myself and Arthur grew up with thrillers and horrors. But the reason I bring up a horror movie because I saw an advertised earlier and there's an exicism film. It's starting on the fifth. I don't remember Sandy Kay or Shane Bassett or Paul Harris mentioning her, but al Paceno is going to be, you know, and they're calling her the most horrifying, terrifying exorcism film ever in American history. Wow, probably just maybe it will be. But al Paceno's in it. I didn't think he was going to make any more movies. He is in his eighties, I think now. I think he's going to be one of the priests.
Speaker 6: Simon, Okay, yeah, al Pacino is. I'm just looking him up to see how old he is.
Speaker 23: I think he's in his eighties or nearly ninety.
Speaker 6: Or eighty five. He was born in nineteen forty, so he's eighty five.
Speaker 23: I didn't think we'd see any more movies from him. I think he's going to be one of the priests. So do you remember Sandy Kay or Paul Harris mentioning that film? I don't remember being mentioned.
Speaker 6: I'm just looking up to see what it's called.
Speaker 19: The ritual, The ritual, the ritual, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 23: Starting, but I'm curious to see if it's Sandy Kay.
Speaker 2: Are he's still there the Yeah, it's still here.
Speaker 23: Yeah, Sorry, I thought I lost you. Sandy or Paul or Shaney have to say about it if they if they don't, I don't remember any of them mentioning it. But that's the first thing, Yeah, I'm just that they're claiming it's going to be the the most scariest and the most horrifying extorcism in American history.
Speaker 6: Well, it's this powerful true story about Texas's most notorious criminal criminal. Yeah, the ritual.
Speaker 23: I heard it was going to be an exorcism.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let me see if I can pull up a plot line or something for it. Hang on the ritual. Two priests, one in a hang on, it's just got off the screen. Storyline. Two priests, one in crisis with his faith and the other confronting a turbulent past, must overcome their differences to perform a risky exorcism. There you go.
Speaker 23: The next thing, I just remember we're talking about the B fifty two's you mentioned one of the girls you thought to a duet with someone? Who did you say?
Speaker 9: That was with R. E.
Speaker 6: M In the song Shiny Happy People?
Speaker 23: You know who? Which else is a very unusual combination. When I used to tape rage, I taped another unusual combination, Iggy Pop and one of the girls from the B fifty two singing a song candy or Candy Candy.
Speaker 25: You might like it.
Speaker 23: I don't think you'd like iggy pop. But it makes me think of something too. It's someone well known that it knows about music. You know, iggy pop, I know a biggy pop.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I can't say I've got any of his music in my selections.
Speaker 23: Na, No, I wouldn't think he's your top. But if you heard the song that he sings with the girl from B fifty two's Candy Candy or.
Speaker 21: You might like it.
Speaker 23: I liked it. I thought it very unusual to forum to the team up, but I think it might have. I could be wrong, but I think it was Gavin on your show saying that iggy pop how is always shirtless and jumping around like you're on a whole heap of substance.
Speaker 9: Certainly I think it's allergic.
Speaker 6: It is allergic to clothes pop.
Speaker 23: Yeah, yeah, But I also think that Gavin said it was all anted in was never on any substances, which I be hard to believe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I guess Gavin would know. Well, Gavin would know it at the times he met him, whether he was smashed out of his brain on some sort of narcotic But yeah, is a bit of a wild one iggy pop. So yeah, we can only go with what we're told. And if Gavin says he was clean when he was here, then I reckon he was clean when he was here.
Speaker 23: And the last thing, Simon. I used to be one of Alan Pearcell's regular callers on Overnight, and I think his producer was Nigel. I forgot his surname Nowel you still see Alan.
Speaker 6: I saw Allan only a week and a half ago. I had dinner with Alan. Yeah he's good, he's doing really well.
Speaker 23: Producer, if I remember correctly, Yes, No.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was Nigel. His producer, Nigel Slater, and I think Nigel's now at last. I heard from Nigel. He was working in the Northern Territory in radio up there.
Speaker 23: I think so, I'd say, because when I used to call Alan, when I never used to call on my regular times, I'll always say, oh, Jim, we've been waiting for you, wondering when you're called. But I can't remember how many years agoles that I can't remember. When Allen was on, I probably wouldn't remember me now, but I was one of his regular callers.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, Allen would remember. He's got a great memory. I think Allan left the station in either twenty nineteen or twenty twenty. It would be somewhere around that time. I think I'm thinking twenty nineteen. If memory serves, I'd need to look at it.
Speaker 23: So you say he'd remember me because I was only if he does. Can you say hello to him for me? And if you speak to Nigel?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I certainly will. Yeah, absolutely happy to pass that on. I don't know if Allan listens to the station much anymore. We didn't sort of talk about it, but next time I see him. I do catch up with him a couple of times a year for lunch or dinner, so I'll tell him you said hi next time we do that. I better move on, Jim. I've got to get to a break. We've got Basa and Mark hanging on. So thanks for the callers. Always talk soon and taking your calls one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. News is about eight and a half minutes away, but Basa is in Geelong High Basa.
Speaker 23: Hey, young, I read earlier, and I wish to apologize for what I said.
Speaker 6: No, that's all right, yeah, no, no need to apologize. You didn't mean to offend anyone or any of that sort of thing. There was no malice or anything. I just I just thought it was probably not a direction we wanted to head in with that particular conversation at this time of the night. But no, you've got nothing to apologize for, Basa, that's fine.
Speaker 23: Yeah, No, I've got Croati's friends in the best mates you ever had.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's nice. That's nice.
Speaker 9: So what do you do?
Speaker 6: What's doing at this time of the morning for you in North Geelong? Basa?
Speaker 23: Well, I work at night mainly our own prostitutes.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, again, I'm sorry to do this to you twice in one night, but you've named a particular group there and I can't let that go to air with what you just said following it, So we do have Like, again, you didn't mean anything bad by it, I know, but when it comes to naming a group of people and then saying something that was quite sort of I guess, flippant, if they chose to take legal action against the station for allowing that to go to air, I'd be in big trouble. So we just have to be very careful about things we say, even if it's a loose interpretation.
Speaker 7: Or it's.
Speaker 6: A slightly tongue in cheek or a slight exaggeration of a fact. There's some things we just can't let go to air, so including that one. So sorry to dump you off the air there twice in one night, Bazard, but yeah, we just can't let that happen. Now we are approaching the news. We've got to get another break in before we get to news. We've Agent four eight five has texted through. Ringo Star is nearly eighty five, and sure doesn't look at that's I can't remember the last time I saw a picture of Ringo, but he's eighty five. Jay's going to look him up. Now, who else? Who else would be of that age and still look really good? Or Ringo? Clearly if that's ring go now he's clearly dyeing his hair. No one's eighty five and has hair that dark and a beard that dark? Can you put in Ringo Star twenty twenty five and see what comes up? Let's have a look at a picture there, Ringo Star twenty twenty five. Yeah, he's dying his hair. Definitely vanity all in vanity.
Speaker 9: With the hair that he's got left as well. He's starting to lose a bit too.
Speaker 6: Isn't he? Well at eighty five. I think that's okay to have a bit of a receding hairline, a bit.
Speaker 9: Of a fringe as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, Paul Simon was the worst for that. Paul Simon had very little hair when he was about twenties, and now that he's eighty something he's still got a full head. I don't know how that happened. Secrets of the Celebrities exactly. All right, let's get the last break happening before news and we'll be back in a moment. It is approaching news time. It's all my three o'clock in Victoria. In Western Australia almost one o'clock, and in South Australia it's about to hit two thirty. After the news. Of course, we've got Chicken Man in there. We've got the Cereal coming up as well. But there's plenty of time for your calls. So one double three eight eighty two or one double three six nine three if you want to get on board. When I did the first fill in for Tony Mack on Thursday morning of last week, Jay thrust a bit of paper at me about the rise and fall of Sizzler, and I've been hanging on to it ever since to talk about that. We might talk about Sizzler in the next hour. Your memories. Did you enjoy it? Have you got the recipe for that famous bread of theirs? We'll talk about that and other things. I also want to bring up the Gastetna. There was. I won't tell you all about it now because we've got news coming up, but the Gastettna. Who remembers the Gastettna back afternoons?
Speaker 13: Now this is a stradio open eyes with Simon Owen's.
Speaker 35: I know there's something in the wild of your smile. I get a notion from looking your right. Yeah, you build below the love parts to follow your little piece of em.
Speaker 5: Turns to do. Listen to you.
Speaker 6: I had a great song by rock Set. I really like lock Set. I think I've told you before Jay I went to They did two concerts in Melbourne and I went to both of them. If I told that story of this issue, yeah, I bought. I bought a ticket to go and see the first one and it was great, and they got off there and said welcome to our first Melbourne concert, and the crowd went wild. And then the next day a friend of mine had bought tickets and her partner wasn't able to go, and so she asked if I wanted to, and I had enjoyed it the night before, so I said yes as well. So I went along to the second rock Seat concert. She said, welcome to our last Melbourne concert, and the crowd went wild.
Speaker 9: I'm trying to think, because we I think we went about twenty nineteen, twenty eighteen.
Speaker 6: Is that when they were Oh, I know, I'm going Yeah, you're going back, I'm going back to the i'd reckon like mid to late nineties probably, yeah, think of it. Yeah, yeah, when they were when they were huge? Yeah, right, gotcha were they were? They still good when they Yeah, that was still good.
Speaker 9: She was still pumping out the songs and I had a lot of energy there. But obviously she was very sick a couple of years ago before. Yeah, passing of course, so but look still had the song, still had the grooves still. It was great. It was good to see her. I think it was rodal Over Arena. I think she did about two or three shows there. But it was great. Yes, all the memories falling back. Except was great.
Speaker 6: What's the best concert you've ever been to? Other than a U two console.
Speaker 9: Robbie Williams.
Speaker 6: Robbie Williams. Okay, yeah, yeah, he's.
Speaker 9: You know, the ultimate performer, isn't he incredible?
Speaker 6: My wife went to a Robbie Williams concert. She didn't take me, I don't. I don't know why, but she went with a friend and she said that because the night before they'd shown a Robbie Williams concert on Foxtel from the same tour. And so apparently Robbie came out on stage at the start of the he did his big opening of dropping down from the ceiling or something. I don't know, but apparently he came out and said, thanks Foxtel for hang up my show because they showed the whole thing the night before on Telly. So he wasn't happy about that.
Speaker 19: But that to you.
Speaker 6: But here's a great shaman, isn't he. Like he is a really gifted showman.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's the only one that, apart from you two, has really got my attention and just he just sit there and watch him. Yeah, it's incredible. I don't know what it is, but this is something about him. He's you know, most guys, it's that inner guy inside us that he actually, you know, comes out with on stage. You know, he just MUCKs around a bit cheeky on the side, Yeah sort of thing. Yeah, but yeah, it's great.
Speaker 6: He's a guy. He's just sort of a guy you'd like to hang around, exactly. You'd be thoroughly entertained if you just hung around with Robbie William and he.
Speaker 9: Says things that you think. Yeah, that's exactly what I think. He's great.
Speaker 6: I think he's wonderful. And I was dragged along. Well, I'm not dragged along. My wife wanted to go and see Pink, and I appreciated Pink's music, but you know, I wasn't really looking forward to the concert. But you know, a night out with my wife that was nice. So she took me along to see Pink, and I was blown away by how good she was. She was amazing to watch in a live concert.
Speaker 22: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, swings around the stage.
Speaker 6: Yeah, suspended out over the audience and all of that, and you have to duck your head up some stage. No, no, no, our tickets were that good. But but it was a it was a really worthwhile show. Yeah, she's fabulous. I think I've spoken about before. I went to a concert on my own. I went to see Missy Higgins on my own, which which I loved because there's there's something great about just doing that by yourself and not having to worry about whether the person with you is enjoying themselves exactly. That's right, that was good too. All right, Now we've got Chicken Man coming up very shortly, and then time for some calls. Excuse me, Chicken Man coming up shortly. Then time for some calls ahead of the series. Oh, she's still there, she's still going. But I wanted to throw out I mentioned just before the news the gastettna. Have you ever heard of a gastettna?
Speaker 8: Jay?
Speaker 9: No, Sorry, that's scoring straight out of my head. I'm not sure what is it? Something to do with mathematics or no.
Speaker 6: It's back to my primary school days, and you're a couple of years younger than me, so I think you may have just missed out on the gastettna because I think by then photo copiers were probably in The Gastettna was a big sort of metal machine, and the teacher if they needed to hand out a copy of something to the class, it wasn't done on a photo copier. It was done on this machine called a Gastetna, and I don't really know the mechanics of how it worked, but the teacher had to write it all out on a particular a certain piece of a paper that had like a waxy thing on it, and then he'd stick that. He or she would stick that in this Gastettna machine and then turn a handle and it would rather the piece of paper with the wax coating on it would roll over an ink pad type thing or a liquid ink and the and because it was waxy, the ink wouldn't stick to it, but where they had written it had broken the wax and it would and so the ink would stick to the bits where the teacher had written, and so that would create a copy of on a fresh piece of paper.
Speaker 9: Are you sure you're not really showing your age here, Simon?
Speaker 6: I am.
Speaker 29: No.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 6: We had run in grade four with mister Faulkner. I remember. I remember mister Faulkner using the gestetna to do it. And the thing I loved about it was the smell of the ink. It was it was like sniffing petrol. It was just it was such a powerful smell, but really addictive. So God knows how many if it affected a whole generation of people and people before me. But yeah, the which just took me back to your school days was what was a thing at your school that just would not be there now? Or things that used to happen at school that you would never happen now. The casette who is a very fond memory for me. There'll be people listening who probably use them day in and day out, I would imagine. So if you want to chat about your school days, reminisce with us a bit one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. The board's pretty much empty at the moment, so if you want to give us a buzz, you'll get through nice and quickly. And we've got about twenty five minutes or so to take some calls. So let's chat to Peter before we get to Chicken Man, and then we'll get more calls up after Chicken Man. Hey, how are you, Peter?
Speaker 4: Salm Simon here a you going?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Good? Thank you?
Speaker 4: Nah, Simon, I'll totally get sixty out of the day. I couldn't get through. Yeah, I've been in bed for nearly up a day. When this storm is coming around again, send being I was in Sicily twice, beautiful place with a video not far from the Whold Canaday, and nothing happened. When I come back two weeks up, they went berserk. And I'm just talking to someone today about Sicily. Isn't that beautiful place? A lot of tom then and again Santo her when he's the plan is going to be. People call me crazy Peter in the sense, but simon.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then I'm a born again Christian, not only none percent with the Lord born in Italy come in when I stop. I love everybody now, but been prophesied in the Holy Bible. People don't believe, and it's a problem. I should be a Roman Catholic and all the boy my hunger to be a priest this and that it had come to a studying and get the Holy Bog when Mama got naturalize from the queen and it's all been prophesized, and when the way they changed like this, I feel like I'm not a drink of men in a sense too much. I feel like when I feel like drinking a bottle of whiskey and Johnny. I look up to Johnny here and he was just the same, eyes gone around, and so it's everything has been prophesized here, Sony go yet.
Speaker 6: Look, Tony's been a bit crooked this last week, but she's hoping to be back on Thursday morning.
Speaker 4: Well, he says that these bats goes around the world too.
Speaker 6: Been to sisterly, I haven't. No, I've been to Naples and to Rome, but but not.
Speaker 4: I've been to the Romans and maybel just the same. But Sister is a wonderful place, very friendly people. And my best mate died no longer ago mechanic. He was better than my dad, than Thomas' brother, my brother. And yeah, send my regards to Tony because he's a religious man like I used to be. But I'll be a born again Christian sinto nineteen seventy and I know the Holy Bible back to front and it's all come to Philpill And I'm not happy when a lot of disasters coming around, killing people and especially leaving I'll say to the whole world, leave the Jewish people alone there where they're chasing race. And I stand with Israel. I love everybody. And I've got a grand two grandfather. One come a nine journal war Peter like me, and one's side is Anthony. And in us to said the mom when I was a toddler in Italy. Carlota my mother's name, Carlotta. I have beautiful is the river Iphrain, so and and loving in Italy. It's a wonderful place, but a lot of Jewish people. And I spent a lot of time in Israel, yes, a couple of time, and I say the people please leave God's chosen people alone cost them four hundred years in Egypt. To understand that I come to Jesus and I love Jerusalem.
Speaker 6: Well that's a I hope your your lovely renewed sense of religion brings you great, great peace, Peter, and and thank you for the lovely words that you have said. I'm I'm not religious, but I certainly have great respect for those who are. And when you did mention you know what's going on over there, the only thing I ever say about it is that I think there's good and bad on both sides in any conflict, and it's the innocent people on both sides that I feel dreadfully sorry for. So I don't I choose not to partake in any discussions about such things other than to say I feel sorry for all the innocent people on both sides. Thank you for the car Peter taking your calls one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. Jan is in Mickleford. How are you there?
Speaker 9: Jan?
Speaker 6: How are you this morning?
Speaker 26: Good?
Speaker 28: Thanks Simon and yourself. I hope you're keeping well.
Speaker 6: I'm top of the world.
Speaker 28: That's good. Stettner's Yes, they were very good. I had my secret chicken cave had a step now. I also had a erronium at home.
Speaker 22: Yeah, and they were.
Speaker 28: Good for very large volume printing, like a whole ram, you know, hundreds of leaflets, which is what we used them for in school. She generally had the the methylated Spirits Spirit printer and you probably remember those too. Those ones smelt nice because you'd smell the spirit well it was being printed. You'd print off, you know, twenty or thirty forty sheets for a classroom activity.
Speaker 6: I thought, I thought the one we had at school was a Gastetna, which it had purple ink. Which one had the purple ink, that's.
Speaker 28: The spirit, that's the spirit printer. But it might have been made by Gastetna. What you usually call a Gastetna is the ink one with the black ink. A very complicated attachment to the barrel and you created you did describe it reasonably well before you created the work with a wax stencil. It had the wax stencil and you'd put that through a typewriter. Generally you couldn't easily draw on them. It was the wax stencils damaged very easily, but you could thread it into a typewriter.
Speaker 31: My of the listeners might not know what a typewriter is.
Speaker 28: You'd thread that into the typewriter. And we used to do our leaflets, and if I was doing a leaflet today, I would be pointing out in the leaflet that what's happening in the Middle East is not a conflict, it's a genocide anyway. And I know you don't like the politics, so I'll moved back to the schools. Schools had spirit printers mostly and that was the purple. They came out looking purple and you could draw on You could draw on the sensil for that different kind of stencil. It was like a carbon There was a double sheeted paper from memory and you would do the images with a stylust or a biro that you had to care for with a biro because if you press too hard, the burrow would cut right through and ruin it, but you have to start again. But you would carve out or etch out the shape or whatever you wanted to draw. And that's probably what you're remembering pictures and images.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, when we had to do like well, not homework things, but when the teacher would hand out like a test or something in class, it was on.
Speaker 5: That perp.
Speaker 28: And you would turn the handle if you operated the machine, you put that thing and you'd turn a handle on the right hand side because they were made for right hand.
Speaker 6: In each each rotation of the handle, a piece of paper would spin out with that.
Speaker 28: That's right, we put out a piece of paper.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I loved it. The smell of that ink was just heavenly.
Speaker 28: Yeah, that's what That's what you'd remember. However, the castette the machines was the black ink. They did have a distinctive spell too, but they weren't very common in schools. They were a bit too complicated and they were for large volume. Crittica University we printed lots of leaflets off on castetteers, so much so that I owned several cassetteers over the years.
Speaker 22: Because they would.
Speaker 28: Wear out or they'd break down. And you'd have to go around and by another one.
Speaker 6: Have you still got any? Did you ever? Did you keep one for old time's sake?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 28: We did graduate from Castettener's and Rodeo Machines. Rodeo was another brand.
Speaker 31: I think that might have been a British or American brand.
Speaker 28: We did move on to printing with offset printing later on. However, another thing listeners might not remember. Young people won't know is lectra set. Do you remember the electra set litter set?
Speaker 6: Is that the thing where the it was a clear piece of plastic with letters on.
Speaker 28: It, plastic with letters on it, and you would place that on the sheet of paper you wanted, and then you would.
Speaker 6: Use either the back of a back of a bar or something to rub on it, and that would force them.
Speaker 28: On it and the letter would stick. Yeah, the sheet of paper. Yeah, they don't exist anymore.
Speaker 6: No, I haven't thought of a letter set for forty years. I'd reckon.
Speaker 28: Yeah, So I'm talking about these gastto machines. Back in the seventies, we had Grossette the seventy seventy one, seventy two, seventy.
Speaker 26: Three, and I think about seventy four seventy five.
Speaker 28: Seventy four we started using offset printing.
Speaker 6: Well there you go.
Speaker 28: Well, of course, in the eighties, it's all in the eighties or nineties. Computers, yeah, yeah, computers.
Speaker 6: Computers sort of kicked in the in the nineties. But I think photo copy has started becoming a thing in the eighties or so, so yeah, which sort of ruined all those wonderful old machines within and they would have sat there in storage for years. They've just been turfed into hard rubbish. And what a shame, because what a work of art, all those old printing style things where Jane, thank you for that wonderful call, wonderful memories, and thank you for the explanation of the difference between them all. That's marvelous. It's twenty eight two, which is just too after in South Australia, So twenty eight to four in Melbourne, twenty eight to two in Perth, and it's just after it's two past three in South Australia. More of your calls after this, Doris is texted in, Oh my god, I used carbon paper and that machine. For years, we teachers used to laugh about getting high on that smell. I never knew the name of that machine, Thanks, says Doris. Thank you, Doris. Barbara calls from Saint Peter's Hi Barbara, Hi.
Speaker 10: Silent, first time I've spoken to you. Yes, look, oh, this takes me way back through a beautiful time in my life. It was my first position leaving high school. I've worked at which was called the South Australian Robin Millis, which turned out to be bridgedone, and my father worked there. He was a supervisor. So I started there as a little junior and yes, straight from high school, and I gradually worked my way up through the company and ended up working for some of the divisional managers where I got introduced to the Gestatnu machine because I was, you know, like a stenographer secretary for the divisional managers.
Speaker 31: So it was like with the.
Speaker 10: Divisional manager would have a meeting with all the necessary people, and I'd be sitting right next to him with my shorthand and my little notepad and I'd be taking down all the records of the meeting, so that would be fine, and then I would go back to my desk and I would get a stencil which was as the other person mentioned, it was like a wax sheet of paper or little holes in the top where you could fix it to the So I would go back to my desk type it up on the stensor. Was quite a few number of pages, and I loved that time. I loved that time in my life. I ended up being a credited tennis coach up the track, but that time in my life was really special. So I would type it up on my typewrider, type the stensor up, and then I would have to walk up into the main office and put it on the settna and print all the lots and lots of copies from the piece of the people at the meeting and then distribute saving them all together and distribute to them to all the relevant people. So look, it's just put that wonderful memories to me because that was a long time ago some and that was like, oh, you know, give me my age. Why it probably gets anyway because I'm used to you're not talking about a gestetna. But it was just a wonderful time. I ended up leaving there when I got married and had a little girl, and then I went back and worked there again. But I loved I loved my job. I loved the shorthand the typing, and that's what I was trained for at high school, so it all came together nicely.
Speaker 6: Oh that's lovely. And do you remember the smell of that ink?
Speaker 10: Yes, Look, this is why I'm saying. That's why I rang. I just remember it so clearly. I'm eighty three now, and it was a long time ago. And I thought to myself when you said about because then I'll have to ring up because you know, you don't sort of think about those days March and I was not because said stayed out of high school my first position, and yeah, I loved what I was doing. You know, I was trained at high school for that sort of position. And I just feel I have to bring up because that brought back the most beautiful memories to me because my father worked there, he was a supervisor. And yeah, so lovely just brought back lovely memories for me. So I'm not for my.
Speaker 30: Well, I'm glad, I'm good day.
Speaker 6: I'm glad it did, Barbara. And that's I love bringing up stuff like that for that exact reason. It just transports you back into a different times. It's wonderful. It's like it's like reminiscing about Hoadley's chocolates or things like that things that mc Robertson's chocolates is always my favorite, those memories from years ago.
Speaker 36: Yes, I know, I know it was.
Speaker 10: It was lovely because I've just seen my father worked there as a supervisor. Yes, and he had worked there like she got the gold watch and the whole thing, and he was there forever. And after I had my little girl, I went back into another position there for a while. So yeah, it was a lovely, lovely story. My father used to take me as a young girl back to the office because he would go back and check night shift where his men were working on the big.
Speaker 6: Car mat lovely day. Now, Barbara, the cereals coming up, so we do have to go. But it's been delightful to chat to you. I hope we get the chance to do it again. Thank you for the call. The cereal is up after this break. We are seconds away from it been two o'clock in Perth, three point thirty in Adelaide and four o'clock in Melbourne, and we want your calls on the other side of the news. Now the cereal is done and dusted. We've got ninety minutes left to take your calls for the program this morning. We want your calls one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. I went to the shops yesterday and I couldn't buy what I wanted to buy.
Speaker 7: It annoyed me.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you about it after news. How's that for a hook?
Speaker 13: Now? This is a stradio Open Eyes with Simon Owen's.
Speaker 37: Come on, O my hand. I wanna contact or living. I'm not sure I understand this road I've been given.
Speaker 34: I sit and talk to God and he just laughs at by plans. My head speaks a language.
Speaker 13: I don't understand.
Speaker 5: I just want to feel really fill.
Speaker 8: The hand.
Speaker 34: Because I got so much life running through my things, going through it.
Speaker 5: I don't want to die.
Speaker 6: Robbie Williams we spoke about in Last Hour Jay. But yeah, he's just got, isn't it.
Speaker 9: He's got some great songs, y energetic, Yeah, runs around like a fifteen year old.
Speaker 6: Have you got a favorite Robbie Williams song? Probably that one?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, come on done. That's another great one. And also it's gone from me at the moment, A life one.
Speaker 6: I love my life.
Speaker 9: I love I love my life. Yeah, sorry, I shouldn't answer that.
Speaker 6: See I asked questions and then I realized I don't know a lot of songs by title, so I'm going I think I know that my favorite one of his, a very Mexican theme song called Me and My Monkey. That's a great song. Yeah yeah, I can still hear that, by the way, Yeah yeah, no, no, that's all right. I'm using different headphones and it's there must be very sensitive. I can hear things creeping through. Just before we get to your cause, we've got Mark, Julian and Sahara and Leo there ready to go.
Speaker 2: Just I will.
Speaker 6: I just want to talk about something, Jay. I went to the shops yesterday. I didn't have much food in the house, and now that I was working overnights instead of evenings, it meant I didn't bring in a tuna casse alted defrost in the micro. I was having dinner at home before I came into work.
Speaker 9: Yep, fair enough.
Speaker 6: So that means I can make a freshly cooked meal. So I always go a steak, a nice steak when I get the chance, eight dollars fifty at Woolworth. And then I get the ingredients for a salad. Now what do you put in a salad?
Speaker 9: Oh? Look, you've got your tomatoes. You've got your lettuce. You might have a bit of avocado if.
Speaker 6: You like that. Very first thing I looked for, I got lettuce, I got to avocado, and then I've got the cheese at home that I've got. But then I went to grab tomatoes. None, no tomatoes. No tomatoes in Woolworths where we're in the suburb I live, not one single tomato, not a cherry tomato exactly, not a cherry tomato, not a full sized tomato. Not those ones that for some reason are more expensive because they're on a vine, even though they just look like tomatoes that aren't on a vine. Tomatoes, yeah, I've never understood around. Yeah, red round and juicy, and yet there's some that are strung together with a vine, so you pay more for that for some reason. Green stalking, Yeah, it's a little green stork thing and it's got four tomatoes on it and they cost a lot more. But yet little cherry tomatoes. And then there's the roama tomatoes. And think, not a single tomato in the place. And so we asked an employee and they said, oh, yeah, there's a shortage. Who is it who runs who runs the tomato farms? Around the country. And are they actually tomatoes grown in Australia. Like I'm being completely naive here, but is it a shortage because you know that we get them from Amsterdam or somewhere or Greenland. I don't know where they grow tomatoes.
Speaker 9: Where they hang out when they're not in the supermarket.
Speaker 6: So's who's the person who's in charge of the tomato? Farmer says nah, I reckon, we've planted enough this season. No, we won't need any more than that. Where did the tomatoes go? Why is there a tomato shortage? If there's any farmers who plant tomatoes and make your dosh out of them, please let us know. We'd love to know where the tomatoes are.
Speaker 9: There's always the banana shortage, there's always the orange shortage. I think there's a couple of orange short I think we had an orange shortage a couple of years ago.
Speaker 6: Yes, And I remember there was a was it an issue with salery where it got hailed on once and so all the salery had little brown bits with yeh spots on it where the hailstones had hit and damaged the salery. I think it was salary that that happened to you.
Speaker 9: I have to trade them in. Yeah, what did you do with the car when they get hit with hailstones?
Speaker 6: But yeah, I'd just love to know why there's no tomatoes. I don't recall the last time I've ever noticed that there was a tomato shortage. So I couldn't have my salad without tomato. So I put everything back on the shelf, and then then I grabbed a Caesar salad kit ah good because I thought I haven't had a caesar salad.
Speaker 9: They were a good backup.
Speaker 6: And I like that, I like that dressing on it, and I like the bread crumb things to the croutons, so I grabbed that. So I had my eight dollar fifty steak and my four dollar fifty salad, and I thought, well, that's thirteen dollars. That's a meal. And then I walked past the freshly cooked chickens, you know, the hot chickens in the Bay Marie or whatever that thing's called. Yeah, and the chickens were twelve dollars, and I thought, you know what, it's going to save me a dollar if I get a chicken instead. And I've got bread at home, I've got cheese at home, and I've got mayonnaise at home. So I had two chicken cheese and mayo sandwiches for dinner last night.
Speaker 9: Instead beautiful cheare That takes me back to the old when I used to live Singly. I always had a different meal on the different days. Yeah, Tuesday night was a full chicken. I just came home with a chook, sat on the couch and ate it and just ate the fool chicks, date the fool chook. That was Tuesday nights. Do you eat the skin?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, oh, God of the best. I don't understand people. They peel the skin off and put it to the side, and what are you doing? You don't do that? Check out the chicken. Just give me the skin.
Speaker 9: Yeah yeah, they could sell that. Yeah, packets of chicken skin, Well, I do.
Speaker 6: You can go to you can get at restaurants and things. You can get potato skins. They should just do chicken skins.
Speaker 9: I didn't know that.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, potato skins are a thing. Yeah. Yeah, They've got little bacon and salt and stuff on them. Yeah. But yeah. Anyway, so no tomatoes. I'd love to know where the tomatoes are.
Speaker 9: Where are they going?
Speaker 6: Yeah? One, double, three, six, nine three or one double three eight eighty two. Mark is install good? I mark?
Speaker 21: So I meant tomatoes that washed the way up in the floods in finn off coins.
Speaker 6: Is that where they grow them?
Speaker 2: Is it? Yeah?
Speaker 21: I used to cut the.
Speaker 6: Right. Well, that's.
Speaker 21: There's there's the answer to your question. But that's not rain. Yeah, I'll went to go on fuel up there, syd a bit well cash because I was just gonna playing by the spear and a cup of bills off and I was going to grab twenty dollars a days and then at the fields talking to a truck draw over there, I was going to wake the nosoleen pushed twenty bucks. That was it because it's all credit card and it's that that's the tail gets cheaper up here. And instead of get to the service station, it's just forty foot container of a couple of hoses on it. Anyway, Like I said, what number you're pomping that? Our four fuel or up because I was really empty. Yeah, oh damn below water which it just sucks garbage up and yeah, put over sixty ladies in it. And he said, tell you right.
Speaker 6: Ah, that's nice, isn't it.
Speaker 21: That's lovely, gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen, Yeah, that's good. Unbelievable clients seven and a half grain off for a funeral. It's not easy, no.
Speaker 6: Of course, but what a lovely gesture. That's so. Is it a close friend of yours.
Speaker 21: Or just an acquaint and so and iver didone? Sames Tanami? So, which is really decent? All I mean, so I won't have to feel a lot for two months now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's lovely. The lovely thing about that is there's there's there's a thing about if you do someone a favor, it's not just good for the person. Well that's true, but it's also the joy of doing something for someone else and bringing a smile to someone's face does yourself the world of good as well.
Speaker 21: Exactly, Yeah, exactly, I know exactly where you're coming from is yeah, I'm good. Forty dollars in the camp till tomorrow and oh yeah, I'll go. I don't know, I'm going to know, I don't know, I'm going to make it through at the moment. Yeah, that is chead no die up and obviously cheered the drivers die out.
Speaker 6: Yep, exactly, No, that's that's right.
Speaker 21: That's what happens when you've been on the road. When you're on the road too long.
Speaker 6: Well, it's also what happens when you're when you're a decent person and people know it, and so people happy to reach out and lend a hand. It's a it's just a that's a lovely community for you.
Speaker 21: I love it all right, So I mean you have a nice style.
Speaker 6: Talk like you too, mate, take care this mark of store. We better break before we get to any more calls. It's already seventeen after four in Melbourne, seventeen after two in Perth, and what's that thirteen to four in South Australia and Adelaide. So Julian Zahara and Trevor will be with you any minute. Well, the tomatoes are copying it. Mark says. The floods have taken out a lot of the tomatoes, which is causing the shortage. If you've just broken up and joined us, Good morning, Simon Owen's in the chair for Tony this morning, and I've just opined or expressed great sadness in the fact that I couldn't buy tomatoes at the shops yesterday. Mark says, it's there's the floods have taken out the tomato industry in Australia. But there's also a text here from Agent eight eight seven. There is currently a tomato virus called the tomato brown Rugo's fruit virus hitting the industry mainly in Victoria and South Australia. So they're copping it from everywhere, the old tomatoes. It's a big shamee. It's very sad. I hope tomato farmers get some sort of assistance. Julian is in Armadale. Hi, Julian, good morning.
Speaker 19: So you might like to ask the actor Mark Ritchell, why haven't heard of him for years? Who used to play con the fruit r Yes, never happened to dematoes. He used to be a very popular fan. Every time he turned on the TV there was always market jo. Never heard of Mark Mitchill for a long time. Is he still working?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he still works. He does theater and stuff occasionally. I haven't seen him in anything for a couple of years, perhaps, but but I know somebody who employed him to do something about two years ago. So yes, he's still still around and still just a lovely guy.
Speaker 19: He played Oliver. He played mister Bumble with the Beatle in the Laska Hola of Oliver with John Waters as a long time ago. Of course, you remember the old English song yes we.
Speaker 6: Have no bananas, They have no bananas today?
Speaker 19: Yes now disappeared disappearing restaurants from this area. One is Olie's Collie. They looked like a tram. They were next to the mall than trams depot and now a Schnitzel restaurant. They were very popular. There weren't many of them. I think they came from a businessman who was very well known in Sheppard And could you correct that?
Speaker 6: Well, I have heard of Oli's trolleys, but Oli's trolley but I've not actually ever eaten at one, so my knowledge there's going to fall very short of yours.
Speaker 19: There was also a din in pizza restaurant that's now the office of Centerley in High Street in Paran. I don't think there's many dining pizza restaurants left anymore. There were two in the city, one of the old village cinemas that have gone and one off the top of Elizabeth and Burke Street. I don't think there'd be many left. With the dining pizza restaurants.
Speaker 6: There was a guy who I think it was about three or four years ago brought out a book which I intended to buy but never got around to. He went around and took photos of all the old pizza hut family rest because of course there's only about three of those left in the entire country, I think the pet family restaurants, and so he went around. They had that particular shape when they were purpose built. So he went around and took photos of all of the old ones that are still standing and what they are now.
Speaker 19: Now now I'm trying to remember, No, lady who worked for that's that hamburger place that used to be at the top end of Spring Street and Burke Street. They had one in Sheltenham and one in the city next to the old Palace Theater, and they came for West of Australia. Can you remember the name of them?
Speaker 6: No, I don't know that one. There used to be a twenty four hour There was a twenty four hour Burger place in the city of Melbourne. Is that the one you were thinking of? I don't know what it was called, though, I think you're right.
Speaker 19: It was a top end of Burke Street now. Also that were used to advertisal throughout w an all night fruit shop in Swan Street, Richmond. Can you remember that it was Melbourne's only twenty four hour fruit shop?
Speaker 6: No, I didn't ever know we had one, I must admit. I know there's a twenty four hour florist in Richmond, but not a fruit shop.
Speaker 5: Nay.
Speaker 19: Of course the Scissor. The Scissor used to be in then Iris. That became another restaurant called the Iris Buffet, a Chinese buffet, and that's now six apartments abom that, and the one that was in Gardens Vale is now a Hungry Jackson, a petrol station. I don't think the Sisters exists anymore in Australia.
Speaker 6: They disappeared out of most states, probably close to twenty years ago, I would think now. But I think the remaining few that there were around were in Queensland. But even I think they've all gone now. I think the last one's closed down a few years ago. There was a couple of New South Wales as well, but no, they're gone. I think I don't think Sisler exists anymore in Australia.
Speaker 19: We used to go out to Bundura to the Smaghese there that used to be opposite the old Larundel that caught fire and it's right next to the petrol station, to the fire brigade.
Speaker 6: Yes, the Smorgis are also all gone. There was one turned into a place called Volcano Joe's.
Speaker 19: Yeh Island the Island Trader was that the name of Smorgi's.
Speaker 6: Might have been Yeah, I honestly can't remember that. There was one in Ringwood, out to the east of Melbourne.
Speaker 19: I think there's an l club, is it?
Speaker 6: Yes? I think it is.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 19: I'll tell you what I've got in my bedroom before you go. I've got a monkey called Molly, which sold for twenty dollars at Smorgi's. It's a Moly. It's a nice furry monkey. I guess said they'd be collectible, wouldn't it sold with morge restaurants?
Speaker 6: But they sold them, they did. They only sold them at Smorgi's, did they Was it like a logo for the company?
Speaker 19: I think there were five smakings, weren't there? There was one on the Conning hamp Here at Geelong had Salty the Seal and a King Neptune. I'm pretty sure another restaurant, maybe Anarchy, bought the salted Seal, But that's gone.
Speaker 17: Has there?
Speaker 19: That was coming Geelong.
Speaker 6: Yeah that I don't know. That's Dennis Walter territory. He'd know that. But no, I've got no idea there.
Speaker 19: But any other restaurants that have disappeared? Other ones too?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, there was what was the steak one? There was the Lone Star Steakhouse was big for a while. There was a few of them around.
Speaker 19: The Clus that was above all whit Cinema cent one hundred and forty berks.
Speaker 6: Forp No, I never ate there, No, no, think there were a few.
Speaker 19: Mc clus weren't they They were actually on the top level of the cinemas.
Speaker 6: And that's probably. Yes, there was a restaurant chain associated with cinemas for a while. That must have been the one. I've not experienced it myself, but I do remember hearing people talk about it years. Julian always lovely to chat. You have a great way of bringing up great memories for people. So we've got Smorgies there and Sizzlers and the Pizza Hut family restaurants. Remember dial A Dino's when Dialadnos started, And I think they got swallowed up by Pizza Hut, didn't they.
Speaker 9: That's isn't it.
Speaker 6: Pizza Hut when when takeaway pizza became a thing, Pizza Hut said, I know, we're in the we're in the family restaurant business. We're not going to bother with this takeaway rubbish. Yes, And then of course they Dominoes and all that started dominating, as it were, and dial A Dino's, I think was the other chain that was was out there, and so Pizza Hut I think took that over. If I'm right, I don't take that as gospel, people, I'm just talking from a vague, vague assortment of memories that have collated in my head that lead me to think that that was the case. Thank you, Julian. Always a pleasure. The horror is in Newcastle?
Speaker 19: How's the horror him?
Speaker 30: And how are you?
Speaker 6: I'm well, how are you?
Speaker 24: Great?
Speaker 30: Thanks?
Speaker 29: Here's a good Lord.
Speaker 30: Do you know he is always watching? And when you're trained in given the act of forgiveness and also given to the poor, God is always interested to watch.
Speaker 6: Well, that's that will be in great comfort to those of a religious nature. That's a lovely thought.
Speaker 30: Yes I'm not religious, but I am given the Good Lord Jesus the glory and the honor. But what about the must how's he going with he's he said, problems with cars and where attacking his he's cars and something.
Speaker 6: Well, yes, he has had a couple of ups and downs over the journey old Elon Musk. But I don't have a great deal of sympathy because he's enormously wealthy. I don't think it's really affecting him in any particularly bad way. And if you want to stick your head up and align yourself in the world of politics, then half the world's going to love you and half the world's going to hate you. So he would have been better off just just sitting back and counting his money.
Speaker 30: Yeah, it's like king my but he seemed to be a nice man of good nature.
Speaker 6: Who me or Elon.
Speaker 26: You?
Speaker 6: Well, thank you, that's very kind. Yeah, I really, I really, I don't know enough about him. I must admit I have no particular interest in him.
Speaker 30: Yeah, all right, And there's a lot of scammers. You're not very Chelsey for the four people.
Speaker 6: Yes, scammers, scammers, a scum. I think that should be on t shirts and hand it out to people.
Speaker 30: That's a good one. With China.
Speaker 6: The best advice I can give when it comes to scamming is if you receive a text message, then you don't know who the sender is. Ignore it. Because anyone who sends you a message saying your package can't be delivered if you haven't ordered anything, likely to be a scammer. If you have ordered something, generally these days, when you order something online, you can't not put the address in correctly. So any any text messages you get, ignore emails you get from your banks and stuff. Ignore them. If anybody ever wrings you and says they're from the bank or a power company or whatever, just they thank you very much. Hang up. Don't talk to them. Just hang up and ring your bank back. Same with the tax office. I'm calling from the tax office. No, you're not shut up, go away, hang up, ring the tax office and say did you guys?
Speaker 7: Just call me?
Speaker 6: Is there a problem? That's that's the way to deal with all that stuff. Just never accept anyone at face value, even if they're knocking on your doors. That's the only way to not be scammed. I reckon.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 30: And the other thing is the love of scam John the Facebook, Ah.
Speaker 6: Yes, absolutely there is. Yes. I look at the ads that come up. There's an ad for a heater and it's the most incredibly powerful heater and it's it's only it's like half the size of a phone book, and you plug it into your wall and it heats your room in seconds. It's a scam. It's dodgy as all hell. Yeah, and there's a high pressure wa a hose that doesn't use electricity at all. It uses some special turbine thing invented by the military, and Bunnings and Amazon are furious because they can't have it. Yeah, that's a scam.
Speaker 30: On the Facebook, they have scammer to giving to people's accounts.
Speaker 6: Yep. If Eddie McGuire or David Kosher trying to sell you something on Facebook, just be aware it's not them. The two of them don't need to make money selling stuff to you on Facebook and advising you to invest in things. They've got their own lives to live. So if you see Eddie and David try to sell you something, it's a scam and it's not them.
Speaker 30: I And also they have on the Facebook mess ginger and notifications and scammers put their scams in them too.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, yeah, I get those as well. People reaching out on social media trying to tell me you ask me if I've heard about this great new thing that the government's doing. I got forty thousand dollars and your name was on the list right back, all for privacy reasons. I'm surprised they'll let you see my name on there. But send me a check. I'll just wait for it. Saharah, Yep, youp spot on scammers. Be alert, be alert, but not alarmed. That's the thing there. But just don't trust them. I don't trust anyone there. Thank you for that. We better get another breakout of the way. One double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. Anything you want to chat about your calls and we're taking your calls one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. Boards a little quiet, but given the time of the morning, that's not surprising. If you're one of those people who doesn't call because you know you don't like waiting on hold forever, give us a buzz now, because you'll be able to get through pretty quickly. Trevor's in Dandong Morning, Trevor.
Speaker 32: Morning, Simon, Mike from Christian and I got well, I had a stroke and driving me calm, worried and wrote it off on the twelfth of December and spent Christmas in New Year in iation with Calvin in Barrick Casey Hospital in rehab. And I was going off the Prince's Highway and hit a path. I took a strike and hit one of those lighting poems that looked at twin watts. Yeah, median strict people hit one of them head on. A bag went off on the steering wheel. And when I wake up, well, I could look across and I was saying a trailer was in front of me, and I went scing was slimbing his exag Craig up, putting down, up and down his dag across the front of the car on me. Wow, And I was not holing hell and mat was still running. And then I realized I was sitting under a train. I tried to slip all the time was set back and braces me so wow, and I took a strike dragging. I didn't except to do that. I was hitting in the South Melbourne to catch up with the training and I usual the last time I caught up and over the down in the bucking hanging and sandering hand. I used to go roun in the Port Melbourne once to catch up with her.
Speaker 6: Then, well, the good thing is Trevor, you survived, But how are you?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 32: Let me finish your story on that one.
Speaker 6: Okay? Sorry.
Speaker 32: The guy that rang up before that said about Gordon Allan is the Italian talk that isn't lovely? Both of you's open to And another guy that rang up and said me Readi's barble. And also while I'm sitting watching Barbara, I'm this There's thirty two and I'm sitting here and reading my sim One poet five.
Speaker 6: So Barberella's on Telly at the moment, is it is.
Speaker 32: Kennel thirty two?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 32: Yes, World movies.
Speaker 6: Well that's why calls are a bit light on.
Speaker 32: When I'm at school. Chriss Catholic Arts. He was very Christian and he used to wear and he used to go to the Catholic school and they were greets and they hated through Catholic school, so they shifted the kids to the primary school. Young Alex had a twist of ear and I played for him as a kid that he did just get an operation and in two days ago, I think my sister he used to work for him, come and cutting potato cakes and Peeland studs making kids. Yeah, and anyway, hand cut chips and all sorts.
Speaker 17: No worry.
Speaker 32: My my mom taught my sister to cut chips gs a cattle w fingers. You, the more she had pick more sausage fingers.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 6: Big sausage fingers.
Speaker 32: Yeah, because her father with her father le he fis a big bigger than my leg, he said he was. My made a picture of him in the army.
Speaker 6: Hang im, sorry, what was bigger than your leg? His arms were bigger than your leg.
Speaker 32: My father told me that he had a horse playing up and a dray. One day I went on suffoge punch. He kept jerking and jumping, and he wouldn't say still. My frank paw jumped out from bugging and he grabbed grad the rne and pulled his head there and punch and rot within the eye on that point in the nose rather and he knocked in to the ground. He was a big boy, but my mad had throwner of him. When he was in the army, he was an empire in the Middle East. He just had to get on the.
Speaker 2: Into told me.
Speaker 32: When he's in the army was an mpeg military flight. He as a sergeant when I used to go into in a tail and drag on with the soldiers out we're on furlough because if he didn't have to dark, they wouldn't be they wouldn't been a whif. Next morning and he was telling me about the Americans, how that trecked down and if it is for days. One end was with no water, he said, could have turned the water on or off, on and off anywhere. Yeah, had to turn underwater, underground, wells off. He says, I'm among us, but he says the movement till more, he said the women over there killed more assaultiers than the men.
Speaker 6: Okay, well, I don't like talking about more related things. I must have been Trevisa. Will move on from there, but thank you for the call, and I'm still The thing I took out of all of that was your father who had arms that were bigger than your legs. That there's some pretty serious arms. I reckon you any good in an arm wrestle.
Speaker 9: Jay, not really no arms as thick as legs.
Speaker 6: Arms that are thicker than your legs. It's like Schwarzenegger type stuff, isn't it. Look out you know one of my favorite movie moments of all time it's just in terms of just cheeky, fun, lighthearted stab from one actor to another. Do you remember the movie Twins with Arnold Schwartzenegger and Danny DeVito. There's a scene there because Arnold Schwartzenegger. For people who haven't seen the movie, Arnold Schwartzenegger plays, you know, basically the perfect human ever made by a genetically modified to come out. So he's all muscular and all that stuff, and then he gets released into the real world. But he's just completely innocent and naive about everything. And they weren't expecting was all the bad parts came out in the form of Danny Devita. That was the very basic plot of the movie Twins. But there's a scene where Arnold Schwartzenegger, in his role, is walking down the street and he walks past a poster of Rambo. And there's the poster of Rambo, you Sylvester Stallone, the chest out, the muscles flexing, you know, because Rambo was one tough mother. And so Arnold Swartzenegger looks, looks at looks at the poster of Rambo, looks at his own muscles, and then just laughs and walks off. Yeah, and I just thought that was that really amused me. That scene just such a it's such a simple gag whatever, But I just thought that was wonderfully funny.
Speaker 9: Measuring himself up against the competition.
Speaker 6: Now, And what was I watching? Another a great little story off the back of that movie Twins? What was I watching where I saw it or no, I read? I was reading a book. I can't remember which book it was, But anyway, they were going to make a sequel to Twins, and so there was actually a third brother. So there's Arnold Schwartzenegger. There was Danny DeVito. So they were going to do a movie called Triplet. So you know who the triplet was the third person? Oh not Stallone, No Eddie Murphy, Oh Eddie. Yeah, Which I just think is that that makes it even funny? And triplets Arnold Schwartzenegger, Danny DeVito, and Eddie Murphy Eddie just clever plot idea. I'm sad they never made that. We better get another breakout of the way here. One double three six nine three. If you want to give us a call, you're more than welcome to also one double three eight eighty two. We've only got fifteen minutes to go for the six pr listeners. So if you want to have a chat, please give us a call now, right Laura and Wilma, don't go anywhere and other callers coming through. I just quickly want to read an article that's in the paper today BA going back to what Sahara said not that long ago, a couple of minutes ago about scams. Scam losses spark new warning is an article in the Adelaide Advertiser and the Herald Sun this morning. Australians have been warned by the National Anti Scam Commission after a near doubling in reported financial losses from social media scams in the first half of twenty twenty five. According to Australia's major consumer affairs body, the number of people reporting financial losses from social media scams has climbed from twoy two hundred and thirty two in the first half of twenty twenty four to three three hundred and thirty six in the same time this year. So far in twenty twenty five, Australians have been conned out of twenty three point four million dollars by social media scammers. That's just terrible, isn't it. Luckily you and I J have set up a scam watch business. And if people want to send us fifty bucks, that's right. We'll give them an answer how to not get caught by scammers and send you all the advice you need. Just send fifty bucks in an envelope into the station. Now, of course I'm mad, joshing, but you're terrible that people have lost that much money. It's I just it's I don't understand how people can get sucked into it. Just very simply, don't trust anyone you don't know. And fake accounts can be set up looking like they're your friends. If your friend says I'm overseas and I and I've been mugged and I've lost my wallet, can you wire me you five hundred dollars? Ring them, pick up the phone and ring them. Chances are they're not even overseas. Don't do it. Just don't fall for those scams. Laura's in South.
Speaker 36: Yarra Hi, Laura, Oh, hello, son, I do get a lot of email scams. Yes, yeah, they can look very very authentic. I can tell you I don't believe people for getting taken in because yeah.
Speaker 26: They do.
Speaker 36: They're just very very smart. They scammers, I can tell you. But Anyway, yesterday I had a chat with the organizer of the Mind.
Speaker 11: Body Through It firstival. It's upcoming this weekend from the sixth to the ninth, and they're always keen for some novel, you know, new ideas for stalls there.
Speaker 36: They said they've got two.
Speaker 11: Vacant ones, but the price for releasing the store for the four.
Speaker 36: Days is about two thousand, four hundred And I don't see myself being capable of conducting a store, Bob. It's pertains to this electronic voice phenomena. You think it'd be a no brainer, but it's never been such stall as ever been conducted there at all in all the years it's been going this Mind Body Throughit Festival at the Melbourne Exhibition and Convention Center. But anybody I had written to the Astralian Paranormal Society in the past, then perhaps you know joining me in this. But it's very hard for some reason, it's historically've been very hard to get a response from people in this field, in this through a communication field for some reason, you know, the paranormal field.
Speaker 6: But anyway, an association or something a paranormal association where yeah, well I.
Speaker 36: Really believe you know, I'm so keen to have this prophecy realized from this great famous prophet. Her name was Baba Vanga. She said, a time will come when people will dramatically change. I won't be alive, but I know it will happen. We all have better, more peaceful and happier times ahead of us. People will realize the existence of the spiritual world. And by that, I think she was intimating that everybody in the field will be communicating electronically with the spirit world. And then NOI that people will dramatically change.
Speaker 28: She surely needed.
Speaker 8: I can tell you that'd be pretty cool.
Speaker 6: When did she say that? When did you make that statement?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 36: Oh, golly, well, she died in late last year. I'm not so sure. I think she died at age eighty six. I can't I don't think it's documented when she actually made her prophecy. But I really believe that will come to past. Yes, well, I don't see any other modality apart from everybody you know, spirit electronic spirit communication, which will such achieved such dramatic change in humanity because people can come to realize effectively that there are eyes, it is everywhere, that all of life is transparent. You don't escape absolutely anything in life. I've been doing this about thirty years and I've gleaned you the truth.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, you're You've been calling in about it for quite some time now, and it's it's very interesting. One day, if her prophecy comes true, you'll be able to say I told you so to a bunch of to a bunch of people who listen, who would who would mock you? And you know that has happened of course in the past, as we know. Good on you, Laura, always lovely to chat to you, appreciate the call, thank you, and good luck with that when it does happen. We do need to break. We do have more time for calls coming up, so keep the calls coming one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. We could talk about that in the next half hour JAY for five double A and three A W and ACE radio stations that are still taking the program for the next half hour. Jay just came in. We were talking about a movie that that sort of scared us both when we were young, and we've both rewatched it and had different reactions. But going back and revisiting a movie that has scared you in the past. It might be a bit of a narrow topic for calls, but let's talk about that further after the news which is coming up. So thank you to six PR listeners. You're going to leave us and head off to Money News now a replay of Money News with deb Night from last evening. But for five double A and three AW listeners, you will be back on the other side of the bulletin which is coming up now as we're heading up to three o'clock in Perth, four point thirty in Adelaide and five o'clock in Melbourne. So the last sorry, I've just seen a text which I can't read out, but Arthur, I think the answer might be yes to your last text thank you. What was I saying? Oh yes, So thank you six PR. It's been lovely to chat you. I look forward to doing it again tomorrow because Tony McManus will be taking another day off. He hopes to be back on Thursday morning. Wednesday night into Thursday morning. He will return for you. But you've got me again tomorrow. So for those sticking around, we have a few things to raise on the other side of the news. We'd love to take your calls on one double three six nine three Text messages as well. Zero four double seven six nine three six nine three.
Speaker 13: Now this is Australiu obanized with Simon Owens.
Speaker 5: A double.
Speaker 6: I reckon Jay. Your playlist is pretty good? Is all the songs you choose from your Spotify playlist?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I always I've always had these one hit wonders. I love the one hit wonders of the eighties.
Speaker 6: Seventies one Rocky Burnette I think tired of in the line, Yeah, Rocky Burnett, that's the one good song for years. Two older brothers you see, and playing all the seventies, yeah, and touching into the eighties.
Speaker 9: So it was just I just walked through the door and I picked up all those songs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that went with them, that makes sense. My sister had a couple of Abbat albums. Yeah, I think that's where I heard all the ab stuff, which was just otherwise would have been just a smidge before my time.
Speaker 23: Yeah.
Speaker 9: We had the A. C. D C's Rolling Stones and the Beatles.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, you had tougher music than the Abbit that I was brought up on. One double, three, six nine and three. Good morning to you if you've just woken up this morning. Yes, Tony McManus is away today and tomorrow as well. He will return on Thursday. That's what he's expecting. That's what he's planning. After his illness for the last week. He's just a bit off color and these are not good hours to work when you're off color. So Tony will be back Thursday morning. Simon and Jay here with you this morning for the remaining half hour of the program, and you calls a welcome on one double three six nine three. Can somebody explain to me please? I was surprised to hear in the bullet and then that the median house price for Perth has overtaken the median house price for Melbourne. Now I don't know a great deal about real estate, but I always thought that Melbourne was horrendously expensive to live in if you're buying a house, and I always thought Perth was not as expensive. So to hear that the median house price in Perth has overtaken the median house price in Melbourne came as quite a surprise to me. I have a friend who moved from Melbourne where he sold his two bedroom apartment a two bedroom unit. He moved to Perth a couple of years ago and bought a four bedroom house with the money that he made from the sale of his two bedroom Melbourne unit. So I'm just intrigued as to what the hell happened there or is there something I'm not understanding? Can someone bring you to make me go? Oh, well, that makes sense now I'd love a call on that if you don't mind one double three six ninety three. We have got calls hanging on, so let's get to them. So first cap off the rank for this hour. She's been hanging on a bit. Wilma is in Landsboro. Hi, Wilma, how are you going?
Speaker 10: Sim I'm going to tell you you could have bought Marts a larger and Eric yesterday, but they were about or near en after fifteen dollars a kill, I thought.
Speaker 6: Kraky, that's uh, it's a bit more than i'd normally pay.
Speaker 10: Yeah, oh that's so sure. This and dear Star have seen them for years. But anyway, that's it. But another thing I was going I liked Julian because he brings back a lot of memories to me. Yeah, I'm about because I'm nearly eighty two, spent a lot of time Melbourne when I was younger, just visiting, and yeah, he's got got great memories. And another thing, the scary film Jaws scared of Yes.
Speaker 6: The beaches were empty in the late seventies because of Jaws. It was gee that scared the heck out of people.
Speaker 10: You didn't I I've never liked the Sue mach anyway, but I like just go and just paddling it up to just above my ankles. Love that. But no, I think the extremely scared me.
Speaker 6: And I think if you're with me, with me, Wilma, I think we're all still just a little bit scared. When I go down to the beach, I'll go in sort of up to the waist, but I'll be looking around. I don't go out too far, and I'll just be casually looking around as I have a little swim, sort of paddling around in the shadows, in the shadows.
Speaker 10: Sorry, yeah, yeah, no, no, it's great there, I think, And yeah, oh I last day. But two. Of course, I've got all cassettes.
Speaker 25: Yes, yeah, my.
Speaker 6: Sister had the Ring Ring album on cassette, but she had Arrival on vinyl.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yep, no, it's yeah. And I started off so I got that music it doesn't matter. But I'll tell you what I don't know. Have you ever played Beaudiful Baye yet by Lucia?
Speaker 6: Yes, Mauritia, the Mauritia or however you pronounce her name. Yes, she did an album of seekers songs as well. She's got an amazing voice.
Speaker 10: Yes, beautiful, I've got all you know, all the music as you have a produced, but that song Beautiful a Way is absolutely magnificent.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she's she's an amazing performance. She's just lovely. All right, thanks, thanks for the chat. I appreciate it. Arthur's in Westwoodsgreg, you know Arthur.
Speaker 14: Good morning, Simon and Jane. Who'd you talking to? My brother Jim? Did you see rock Sip twice? Did you?
Speaker 6: Yes? I did back in the it would have been the nineties, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and unfortunately she died at an early age too. Didn't you like Laura Branningham She did.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we've lost some great singers as well. The lead singer from the Cranberze I always got to say Doris Dolorean, but that's not her name, it's yeah. But anyway, we've lost too many fabulous female singers.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I've got her rock Sets song. It must have been love on seven each Finals. One of my favorite anyway. The girlfriend I don't get scared of right into horror and me. If I put hell Rais on and Levil did, she gets petrified. I told you I'm going to get the mask and she said.
Speaker 23: You'll believe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can't be doing that.
Speaker 14: I just mucking around, but she's petrified. Off Believel dead. Not sure if change those that. There's an old classic original Ladies and later on in the about twelve years later, hell Raiser came out. It's pretty safe.
Speaker 19: You guys watch him for a billful laugh.
Speaker 14: But I can't do it too much, so I'm not scared of him. But yeah, someone else would be watching something like that.
Speaker 23: There are.
Speaker 6: I saw The Omen when I was quite young and absolutely terrified me and I could never actually go back and watch that movie again. I just couldn't do it. I have a heart attack.
Speaker 14: This is another one in my d really cupboard with the Shining, you know, the Shining.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've never seen the Shining. I must watch that one day.
Speaker 14: It's really good. But the Omens is a really good movie too, So me and Jim have seen them. I've got all those original classics. I love all the originals. They're great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, wonderful stuff. All right, good on you, Arthur. Always lovely, lovely to chat. I appreciate the call. I've got to get a breakout of the way here and get to some other callers. But always a pleasure, Thank you mate. Back in a see today.
Speaker 8: Jay.
Speaker 6: The third of June is the anniverse of the unveiling for the first time in Paris in nineteen forty six of the bikini.
Speaker 9: The bikini, yep, the two piece, the two.
Speaker 6: Piece bathing suit. Here you go, aren't you glad? We weren't in that era where it was neck to meet to watch yourselves here?
Speaker 9: Oh no, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think the human body is a beautiful thing, beautiful thing, some more beautiful than others. And I can say that because I'm a fat, ugly bastard. But yeah, the bikini, I think is a great invention. Well, and there would be women out there and men's let's go it all open to everyone who likes everything. There would be people out there who appreciate speedos. I don't, but there'd be people who do. Vivala difference, as they say.
Speaker 9: It's one of my life goals. What do they call it the bucket list to get into a pair of speedos?
Speaker 6: Oh really, yes, yeah, I'll have to try it one day.
Speaker 9: Stop it lose a few kself.
Speaker 6: You're luck. I'd need the roof cras Christmas in broad Meadow this morning, Chris, Oh.
Speaker 38: Simon, Jay, Look, I'm just keeping itself very grounded. I've been waiting since that major attack by Ukraine on the Russian bomber Fleet's wiped out between a third and a half of their fire the bombers that have nuclear powered, nuclear capable carrying nuclear warheads, and I'm waiting for Russia's Responset'll see what happens here, because this could really broke out to something more sinister than ever before. But look, I'm trying to keep a level header, Joe and Simon. To my secondary mental health providers, they've lost five support coordinators of people's disability packages this year. One manager resigned four weeks ago my special psycholoist from Sunshig and I said was on and two weeks ago. I see last week just for the last visit, and my own is probably go out of five years is now to go into an administration part of the workplace. So I'm keeping ground as best I can. And now there's some domestic issues that have been getting me tired and exhausted. And people intentionally making banging fences and then don't barking profusely for one o'clock in the morning, twelve o'clock at night, eight o'clock in the evening. I don't know this is allegedly anything deliberate to force people up myself to move out, but I'm the only thing I'm focused on is tomorrow. It is disboty pension going up and given my major food most of it for the full night a head of no I get additional things. I don't really have any sounding board. It's very hard to call the help lines now because you can't talk about the stick trauma or sufferings because I may think you either a risk yourself or risk to others, or suicidal, which is not the case. But I did finished by sale this week. I good friend. I could do most interrupt to it on half of John Hardy and Nurry Warren. He's still in hospital after two or forty years, and he's said all my love and all my prayer.
Speaker 6: Assignment, and that's lovely that you take the time to do that, Chris, thank you for the call. That is lovely that you do take that time. And when you are feeling a bit flat, Chris, a bit sad or a bit on edge about things, just think about exactly that Paul John been in hospital for two and a half years. It's you know, we forget how blessed we are most of the time, and it's only when we see what others go through that we can begin to think, well, you know what, maybe our life just isn't isn't quite that bad. But thanks for the call, Chris, And it's lovely you're concerned for John. That's in your friendship to John. That's that's very good. What was I going to Oh I had something my head that I was going to raise just then for the last minute of the show. Oh yeah, it was a text here it is The Omen movie, writes a seven eight one Jay The Omen Movie. As kids, I used to trick my little sister and tell her that I found the six sixty sixth birthmark on her scalp like Damien had, and she'd run off crying to my mom. So for those who don't know the plot of The Omen, it's about a young boy who is basically the devil. And he was born on the sixth of June at six a m. So six sixty six, which is number of the Beast, which also reminds me of a wonderful There was a comedian I wish I could remember his name, but he had an album and it was six six's eight neighbor of the Beast. Just think that's brilliant. I was born on the fifth back in a.
Speaker 39: Set before we go, Rory, and I'd like to leave you with a little something to think about, a little philosophy exactly. So I'm going to read you something from the Book of Wisdom. It says here a wise man once said he that lives not well one year sorrows seventh after or whatever that means.
Speaker 5: I know exactly you about. You're an idiot, exactly. Please respect me in the morning.
Speaker 39: Am I reading from the book of Idiots.
Speaker 6: I don't know what's happening.
Speaker 7: Don't talk about me when I'm gone.
Speaker 38: Join in if you liked.
Speaker 39: You know, the things you say will be turned against yourself someday.
Speaker 5: Don't talk about me when I'm gone. Goodbye, goodbye.
Speaker 7: Now I'm on my way, and I don't care what you say here, I'm.
Speaker 30: Going home, so.
Speaker 5: Respect discuss me starts.
Speaker 6: Well, that's it. We're back to do it all again from midnight tonight. That's eleven thirty Adelaide time at midnight Melbourne time. Thank you Jay for all you've done this morning. Thank you to Sorry, yes I should have waited for your reply. Go again. Thank you sir, good on your mate. Thank you to everyone who called into the show, everyone who took part, everyone who texted, and even if you just listened. We couldn't do the show without you. Your breakfast shows are up next, and good morning to you all, and thank you for the pleasure of your company.
Speaker 5: Thank not and knows the thing say the.
Speaker 8: Not.
Speaker 5: Rad