Speaker 1: Nine podcasts.
Speaker 2: In this episode, the informant gives evidence about voones police say are connected to Aaron Patterson.
Speaker 1: He's also questioned on the.
Speaker 2: Accused killer's medical history and evidence of googling cancer symptoms. The court has also shown her shopping transactions in the lead up to the fatal lunch.
Speaker 3: Victoria's mushroom mystery.
Speaker 4: The mushroom lunch that claimed three lives.
Speaker 5: An Australian family's meal is now the center of a homicide investigation.
Speaker 1: The bizarre tragedy now grabbing global headlines.
Speaker 5: Aaron Patterson's alleged victims died after eating a family lunch she'd serve them at her home.
Speaker 2: I cannot think of another investigation that has generated this level of media and public interest. Four of the guests of that lunch were much loved members of this church.
Speaker 1: Only one will ever return.
Speaker 5: People are feeling very heavy with having lost such wonderful people.
Speaker 2: Today, Aaron Patterson remained here inside her home.
Speaker 1: She's continued to plead her innocence in a court room in Country Victoria.
Speaker 2: Aaron Patterson is on trial accused of using death cap mushrooms to kill. She's pleaded not guilty to murdering three of her former in laws and attempting to kill a fourth, the town's church pastor. It's up to the jurors to decide what happened when Patterson's loved ones sat down to eat. Now, the jury has been taken through quite a bit of different topics of evidence with the informant, Detective Stephen epping Stall, which people will have heard a little bit of in our last episode talking about the police interview. But we're going to go through quite a few different elements that he's been touching on in his evidence with both the prosecution and the defense, and we'll take people through that in sort of topic order.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the jury was told Aaron Patterson was charged on the second of November twenty twenty three.
Speaker 6: This was just after a.
Speaker 5: Second search warrant was executed on her house. We've heard during the evidence from Steph eppenste that a first search warrant was executed on her Lee and Gatha home around the fifth of August twenty twenty three, and then in November we heard police returned because they were continuing to look for more items, so they had more items, more electronic devices on that search warrant. When they returned a second time, but then ultimately Aaron Patterson was charged soon after that second search warrant, and.
Speaker 2: We'll touch on some more parts of that search warrant and various elements around the electronic devices in this episode. But what's also been touched on by Steven Eppingstall is there's been some CCTV played to the jury from outside a subway store in Lee and Gather and the jury has been told that this was the night following the lunch. While Aaron Patterson had given it, it's come through in other people's evidence that she had been taking her son's friend home that night before taking him to the subway, and Stephen Eppingstall mentioned in his evidence that you could see her son walking in and then back out and waiting, and it was said to him by the prosecution there's a missing eleven minutes where the car the red card is appears before it comes back. When he was asked about that, Stephen Apingstall said, yes, we weren't able to track where the car went in that time. We'd gone and collected this CCTV, but we weren't able to see where it went. And the prosecution touched on the fact that another witness, a child protection worker, had said Aaron Patterson told her that that night she'd also gone to Woolworth's. But Stephen Eppingstall, as he said in his evidence, they weren't able to verify exactly where the car went over those eleven minutes. There was another element that was also clarified by the detective. He was asked about the video statement that Aaron Patterson's daughter made. Now, initially he confirmed that yes, in that what the jury has seen, this pre recorded bit of evidence, that girl had said no when she was asked if she'd ever been to an Asian grocery store with her mum. But he then clarified that there was a change to what she had said sort of closer to the trial.
Speaker 5: And on the eve of the trial, Penny, we were told that the child was asked to review her video statement, a video recorded statement, and in fact that she said no when talking to that support worker the scene and time just before the trial. She did have a memory of attending it Asian food shop with her mother for cooking reasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so when we're talking about these shops, there's been a number of other shopping elements brought up throughout Stephen Eppingstall's evidence, and we're going to go through that sort of as one topic as the jury heard it really at this stage. So he was taken by the prosecution through Aaron Patterson's visits to Woolworth's in.
Speaker 1: Lee and Gatha.
Speaker 2: Now the jury has heard that Aaron Patterson through other people's evidence. They've recalled her telling them that she purchased the majority of the ingredients for this lunch from that local Woolworths prior to the.
Speaker 1: Lunch on the twenty ninth of July.
Speaker 2: And Steven Eppingstall gave evidence that he then reviewed transactions from Aaron Patterson between the twenty third and twenty eighth of July, and that he did that through looking at her Woolworth's rewards card. And there was a bit of an explanation about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was explaining that that was a way that they could see the list of the exact items that had been purchased. Now this was a self serve checkout on all occasions, he was explaining to the jury. And then he was asked to read through the items that were on the list for each of those shopping visits. And we heard that Aaron Patterson was allegedly purchasing lots of pastry, different types of pastry, puff pastry and frozen feelings pastry.
Speaker 6: We also heard that.
Speaker 5: There was a number of different packets of fresh mushrooms on those consecutive days that had been purchased. We also heard that there was mashed potato, There was beans and also onions, yeah, and beef.
Speaker 2: Steaks or were listed in those transactions as well. Now, to put a sort of a bit of a visual element to it for the jury, this was a huge amount of information in columns and all written down as different transactions over different days of this week, but the areas that the jury attention was being brought to and the detective as part of his evidence were highlighted in yellow particular items. So, like you mentioned, there was mushrooms sliced and there'd be sort of two in one transaction and then two there was two in another as well as well as these sort of five different pieces of beef over a couple of days. And as the detective went through all of this evidence, there was a moment where he was asked about what one of the columns meant, and as he got to that, there was actually an interruption from the jury when he said, oh, I don't actually I'm not quite sure what that is for.
Speaker 6: The fellow column.
Speaker 2: And as he was asked by Jane Warren for the prosecution and what's that particular column there, someone from the jury said I know.
Speaker 1: When he said that he didn't.
Speaker 5: There was a lot of laughter in the courtroom at that stage. The Jura looked quite embarrassed and actually put her hand to her mouth almost to stop herself talking, because she realized in that moment she probably shouldn't have been interrupting what was going on with the evidence. The judge then interjected quite quickly and also had a bit of a chuckle, but said to this particular Dura, I think it's best if you save those conversations for the jury room and not bring it up here in the courtroom. So we are listening to some quite serious evidence, but we have had a few of these lighthearted moments, and this was one where there was quite a roar of laughter. I think nearly everybody in the room had a bit of a chuckle. Then when this particular europe Yeah put her hand up and said I think I can answer that, your honor, and they quickly moved on to more more about the grocery shopping list, and the informant really went through and listed each each of those.
Speaker 6: I've got here in my notes that.
Speaker 5: On Sunday, the twenty third of July, for example, one of some of the items purchased there was two different lots of sliced mushrooms at five hundred grams a kilogram of puff pastry, three hundred and seventy five grams of Philo pastry onions of the French Chalotte version, and then similar other purchases that happened on also on the twenty seventh and twenty eighth of July. We know the lunch was on the twenty ninth of July twenty twenty three. So we heard a lot about that shopping list or the list of items that had been purchased during those particular days, and that evidence went on for quite a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and moving to sort of the next part of the evidence that this detective was taken through again sort of in the vein of shopping this was banked transactions from a Bendigo bank account. Now he was taken through the details of that, saying that sort of was Aaron Patterson's or at least a bank account attached to her.
Speaker 1: We could see and what was being shown on the screen.
Speaker 2: A lot of the particulars were sort of taken out on what was being shown to the courtroom, but you could see her name, Aaron Trudy Patterson listed on there. And there were three specific transactions that the detective and the jury were taken through. The first, as it came up though it is the last in date, was a transaction for what was described as the Coon Warrior tip or it is the sort of the waste transfer station, and that was on the second of August around sort of eleven forty am in the morning around that time.
Speaker 1: Then the two.
Speaker 2: Others that were touched on were a transaction for a service station, a BP service station, a colder mead. Now that was on the thirtieth of July, the day after the lunch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that receipt was played on the screen as well for the jury as the informt was asked to confirm these exhibits essentially, and then they were logged for the jury so they can read them later on on their iPads if they wish. Even the types of food that were purchased at that particular occasion. It was a ham, cheese and tomato sandwich, it was a chili chicken rap and there was also something called a blister pack and the informant was asked if he knew what that was and he said he thought it was gum and there was some more giggles around that, but we even got the dollar amounts and things like that before he went into the third transaction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so that particular receipt that you're talking about there, that was the physical receipt that the detective gave evidence had sort of been sort of recovered from the service station alongside these actual bank records, and it was mentioned to the jury as part of this evidence that they had seen CCTV of this particular.
Speaker 1: Visit on the thirtieth.
Speaker 2: But then they were also shown a transaction in that bank account for it was that Cooi Rup which is again in the Gippsland area, and the jury had heard from the prosecutor as part of this she said, now there was a mention in the Sun's evidence that there'd been a stop on that particular day when they were traveling through the area basically what was a donut van and that came up with a donut van sort of name as part of that transaction. And then that particular amount there for about sort of thirteen dollars ten I think it was, and it was mentioned to the jury by the prosecutor. Remember we've heard this evidence before and that there was three dim sims, a hot dog and a coffee purchased as part of that transaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: What an informant is called to give evidence in a trial such as this, they're essentially being asked and this we saw this today to confirm. These are the things that you've got sort of going from A to Z of all the documents and all the evidence you've collected along the way. So they moved through topics pretty quickly. Some of them they spend a little bit more time on today. But after we went through the bank transaction records, which was only a couple of minutes that were spoken about, they quickly moved to the next topic, Penny, and that was to do with Gaiel Patterson's diary.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Gaiel Patterson's diary was entered into evidence, and this was a hand sort of written diary, the sort of diary that you would make appointments for for your week.
Speaker 6: It was a week view by the Monday Boy to Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was taken through quite a few different dates across varying time frames in twenty twenty three. But some of the entries that were in that the jury was sort of taken through and the detective was asked to read these out and you'll hear a little bit of that evidence in a moment. But on the twenty eighth of June, which was a Wednesday, there was some handwritten cursive there that said Erin Saint Vincent's arm lump. And then on the twenty ninth of July lunch at Erin's with Heather and Ian, and then the detective was asked whether he had, through some of his investigation, checked Aaron Patterson's medical records, and he gave evidence that yes, he had checked her medical records, particularly for the time of January twenty twenty three through to around this time of the lunch and just after in August as well. He was asked whether Aaron Patterson had intended Saint Vincent's hospital on the twenty eighth of June or if there was a medical appointment through her Medicare history and other things he was looking at for that date, as mentioned in the diary, and he said no, there were no records that he'd been able to find, and that when he checked with the hospital and his team contacted them, they weren't able to confirm that there had been a visit there either, and that's where the jury was then moved on to another element of evidence connected to Gail Patterson, that being Gail Patterson's mobile phone.
Speaker 5: So there was also text messages around this time that the informant was taken to between who the prosecutions say is Aaron Patterson and Gail Patterson. And in these conversations which will now take you through, they were speaking about these medical appointments and how Aaron Patterson was going.
Speaker 1: A message was read to the jury.
Speaker 2: They were told this was sent on the twenty eighth of June, round seven thirty pm from Gayle's phone saying, Hi, erin, just wondering how you got on with your appointment today, Love Gail and don Now here's a little bit of what the jury heard from Stephen Eppingstall while he was giving his evidence with Jane Warren from the prosecution.
Speaker 7: It's voiced by actors twenty nine June twenty twenty three, eleven fifty two am. Read out that text please yep.
Speaker 3: Hi, Gail. Sorry, I had taken my daughter to see a movie last night. We saw The Little Mermaid. The appointment went okay, thanks for asking. I had a needle biopsy taken of the lump and I'm returning for an MRI next week and we'll know more after the results of those two things.
Speaker 7: Did you find any evidence in the accused medical records of her having had a needle biopsy of a lump?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: Did you find any evidence in the accused medical records of her being referred for or scheduled or having an MRI?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: Then if we look please there's a response there from Gail to Aaron Patterson twenty ninth of June twenty twenty three at six twenty six pm.
Speaker 4: Yes, correct, and just read that out please yep.
Speaker 3: That's a test of patience, isn't it. Praying you'll know God's peace. We're just ready to relax. Nice to have the fire warming us in this cold weather.
Speaker 6: XO.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 7: If we go to the message above, that's number nine timestamp six July twenty twenty three at eight fifteen pm. This is from Gail Patterson to Aaron Patterson.
Speaker 3: Yes correct?
Speaker 4: Could you read that out please?
Speaker 3: Hi Erin, How did you get on yesterday with your medical test? Love Don and Gail?
Speaker 7: And then the final message timestamp seven July twenty twenty three, six forty six pm. This is from Aaron Patterson to Gail Patterson. Yes correct, read that out please?
Speaker 3: Thanks for your message, Don and Gail. There's a bit to digest with everything that's come out of it all. I might talk more about it with you when I see you in person, Love Erin.
Speaker 7: Okay, did you find in the medical records you reviewed any medical appointments for the accused on six July twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: No, there was quite a bit of different evidence given today around different electronic devices, but particularly mobile phones. And we'll try in the most succinct way we can to talk about this evidence that was presented to the jury through the informant when it came to mobile phones that had been seized by his team with the homicide squad as part of the search warrants that we've heard about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was four different phones that were mentioned today, Penny and two sim cards, and essentially the prosecution alleged that Aaron Patterson moved these two SIM cards across the multiple phones that she had in her possession in the months leading up to and shortly after the time of the fatal lunch. And it was those particular electronic devices. And we heard a lot about imy numbers and SIM card numbers and phone numbers and all of these types of things. But to try and just simplify it all, there was four phones referred to an evidence. One was called the A twenty three phone, one was called Phone A third was called Phone B, and the fourth was called the Nokia smartphone.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 6: The first three were all.
Speaker 5: Samsung Galaxy type phones, and then the Nokia smartphone was the one at the end. The way that the evidence was explained to the jury was that the first mobile phone A twenty three now that was found in a cupboard in the bedroom of the accused teenage son during the first search warrant in August twenty twenty three. It's on that particular phone that the informants said that police found communications the day alleged was between Aaron Patterson and some Facebook friends. It had occurred months earlier in December twenty twenty two, and that's where she'd spoken about smashing her phone screen while on holiday to New Zealand and then having to go and purchase another one of the Samsung phones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll give you a little bit of the evidence as the jury heard it.
Speaker 2: This was given by Steven Eppingstall and Jane Warren from the prosecution as part of this questioning, and they're reading out Facebook messages and the times and dates associated with those.
Speaker 3: The next message is at ten oh six pm from Erin and it reads, anyway, I've been googling everything trying to get into my phone and emails and just couldn't. But then someone suggested I could do a hard reboot of my phone and restart it in safe mode and it might fix the frozen screen issue. And it worked for now, but the screen is broken and might freeze again at any second. So now that I am in, I am copying down everything I need from it. Loll and. Jenny Hay responds on seventeen December twenty twenty two at ten ten pm. Or how stressful, Erin. Maybe you can get the screen fixed in enz if they can do it quickly. Erin responds two minutes later at ten twelve pm yeah, I'm going to see if I can tomorrow. It makes me realize how ridiculous it is that having a broken phone makes everything so difficult. I can't get into my banking on my laptop because it sends an authorization SMS to my phone, et cetera, et cetera. Like how dumb am I to make everything dependent on a single bloody device?
Speaker 4: And then next page, please yep.
Speaker 3: So this is a message from Erin on nineteen December twenty twenty two at five eighteen pm, and it reads I had to buy a new phone today because I couldn't get the other one unfixed IDK, which is I don't know why, but setting up a new phone is incredibly stressful for me.
Speaker 4: And then final paid please yep.
Speaker 3: And again this is a message from Erin on nineteen December twenty twenty two. This one's at ten fifty eight pm. I got a Samsung Galaxy A twenty three, the cheapest I could get while not being an absolute piece of shit phone. It was still four hundred dollars though emoji emoji.
Speaker 6: We then heard evidence about Phone B.
Speaker 5: Now this is the handset that the informant said the accused had physically handed police during that first search warrant in August twenty twenty three, and we saw some footage and some still images of that happening of Aaron Patterson handing that phone over to Luke Farrell who was working as part of the homicide squad team on that day, and it appeared to show a mobile phone that was housed in an orange or red type phone case. And as I said, that was played to the court, Eppingstall said it was this phone that was connected to a handset for the first time on the eleventh of July twenty twenty three, because earlier, he was explaining, it had only been seen to be used in a Samsung tablet device before then being placed in phone B he set around August three, twenty twenty three, about five days after the lunch.
Speaker 2: And before Stephen Eppingstall explained this particular element regarding the tablet and the phone in his evidence and what he says that evidence showed when the jury was shown this steal image that had come from a video of the handover of the phone with Luke Farrell, and it appeared to be in a ready orange colored case.
Speaker 1: They were also.
Speaker 2: Shown prior to that another steal image from CCTV from they were told Lee and Gatha Hospital, and they were told that that was from the thirty first of July, so two days after the lunch before this search warrant occurred. And in that image as they zoomed in, it was described by the prosecution and the detective.
Speaker 1: Agreed with this that had appeared.
Speaker 2: The phone in that image was in a pink case when the image with Luke Farrell was shown, and that the prosecutor noted in front of the jury, We'll leave it up to the jury to decide what color that phone is. But going to that evidence that you were just mentioning regarding what Stephen Eppingstall said he was able to ascertain from some records regarding this particular phone number and SIM and the device as it was connected to.
Speaker 1: Here's a little bit of what he said to the court about that element of the investigation.
Speaker 4: At eighteen oh three or six p oh three pm.
Speaker 7: If we go across that far right hand column, what happens there?
Speaker 4: What do we see happen there?
Speaker 3: So we see that the IMI has changed and what that indicates is that the simcard for the eight three five number has been removed from the tablet device that it was in and it's been placed into a new device, and it's really easy for us to identify those devices. All we have to do is take that IMEI number, plug it into a publicly available website and it will identify the exact device that is.
Speaker 7: Okay, and that device for imy ending two seven six y two.
Speaker 4: What device was that?
Speaker 3: That's a Samsung Galaxy, Samsung Galaxy A twenty three mobile phone.
Speaker 7: And did you identify that as ultimately the mobile phone that miss Patterson handed to Detective Senior Sergeant Luke Farrell on five August.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's Phone B as we've been referring to it throughout this.
Speaker 7: Matter, Okay, and that phone is the same phone that we have the records for which show several factory resets occurred in August early August.
Speaker 3: Yes, correct.
Speaker 5: Eppingstall went further than to explain that as they looked at the different records and the data that they could find, explaining that every phone or device has a serial number and IMI number, he said, what it indicated was during that time of the police search of the house, the first search, one of those two simcards was moved from one of those Samsung devices into a Nokia smartphone.
Speaker 7: Detective, there is some orange highlighting this time, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 4: And the first row of.
Speaker 7: Orange highlighting appears in five August twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: At one five pm.
Speaker 3: Yes, correct.
Speaker 4: Where were you at that time?
Speaker 3: I was at Miss Patterson's house conducting the search warrant.
Speaker 7: Okay, can you tell us what this record indicates occurs in relation to the phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So if you look over at so it's one forty five pm on five August twenty twenty three, and what we see if we look at the right hand column, we see the actual SIM card change from Phone A into a different phone, A phone with an IMY ending four eight nine eight.
Speaker 7: Okay again, did you check that IMI to find out what that device was?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a Nokia mobile phone, a smartphone, Yes, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 7: And we heard evidence from doctor Currell that there can sometimes be anomalies in the records when a SIM card changes over and an existing data session ends.
Speaker 3: Yes. Correct.
Speaker 5: Then he explained that they were then beginning to search for this phone A. And this phone A was the one that was in the pink case that you just mentioned, Penny, another Samsung device, but it was his phone A that saw police return to Aaron Patterson's home on the second of November twenty twenty three. This is the second search warrant, and epping Stall explained that on that warrant they have to explain the reasons for why they're attending the property and it was a further search for electronic devices. And he explained to the jury that they returned home, returned to that home really specifically looking for Phone A and it's never been located by police.
Speaker 2: Here's a little bit of that evidence. As Steven Eppingstall said it to the jury. It's not his real voice.
Speaker 7: We've obviously discussed and heard evidence that Phone B, which is the phone that was handed over to Detective Sergeant Farrell, was the phone that was received on five August yep on to November twenty twenty three. Did police execute a further search warrant at the accused home address? Yes, we did miss Patisona's home at that time.
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 7: Yes, she was, And the terms of that warrant was to search for several items, including specifically a Samsung Galaxy A twenty three phone IMY ending one three seven nine.
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yes, we were looking for phone A phone A.
Speaker 7: The phone that we see throughout the bulk of July into early August. Is the IMI that seven eight three is connected to?
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yes? Correct?
Speaker 4: Was a search for.
Speaker 7: That mobile phone conducted by police on that date to November, Yes, it was.
Speaker 4: Was that phone located?
Speaker 3: No, it's never been located by police.
Speaker 1: We'll be back after this.
Speaker 2: Moving away from the phones, more of this again. Electronic related data and evidence that was presented to the jury as part of the informant being questioned by the prosecution.
Speaker 1: Was go through a number of computer.
Speaker 2: Records and this particular and other device records where the informant was being asked about some URLs which have already been shown to the jury, which is a website, Yeah, the website addresses, and how he'd gone about sort of investigating what those websites were. And the jury was shown a series of screenshots for ten different URLs where the informant gave evidence that in this situation, this had been taken off a portable case that the listeners have heard about before, a copy of a device, and he'd copied directly that particular website into a browser, each time taking a screenshot on his computer now he was taking these screenshots. The jury was told in December twenty twenty four a lot of the dates that the URLs, the data they had that it had been accessed was back in May twenty twenty two. So it was explained by the judge as well to the jury that there could have been potentially changes and updates to these websites since the time that they were first accessed, that they were seeing screenshots from that twenty four December twenty twenty four time, that there was a series of these and they showed a number of different screenshots of the I Naturalist website and particularly posts or observations around deathcat mushrooms.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the informat was explaining that there was one particular sighting that he followed through the records to get to and that was a siding at Morabin which we've spoken about earlier at Bricker Reserve. It was a gentleman by the name of Ivan who had posted this post on the our Naturalist website. And the way that they were explaining this evidence to the jury was that at the same time these II Naturalist websites and this sighting post was being accessed, was around about the same time as there was evidence on the computer that purchase was being made on a different website around about the same time from the curR and Barre at Middle Hotel or the curR and Barre at Middle Pub And there was a receipt that police were able to track down and show to the jury that showed that there was an online order made for a family dinner around about the same time. And they say that that purchase was made using Aaron Patterson's credit card details and then that.
Speaker 6: Food was subsequently delivered.
Speaker 5: But Penny and we also heard exactly what was purchased in that family dinner.
Speaker 2: Now, the informant went through as part of his evidence once it explained the process of accessing these URLs that when he was investigating, he had then gone to this particular hotel and he'd asked for any transaction sort of or orders placed by Aaron Patterson and he had been handed essentially a physical receipt that was shown to the jury and he took them through what was.
Speaker 1: On this particular receipt.
Speaker 2: Now, what we could see in the courtroom and what was read out was it had Erin as the name on it and that there was a phone number a delivery address and that this transaction had been made around seven twenty five pm.
Speaker 1: Now, what was.
Speaker 2: Listed on this particular delivery was a it was called a family pack. There was garlic bread listed, two chicken parmesanas, a kid's burger, a kid fish coke with no sugar for one point two liters, which came to about seventy five dollars with delivery just over eighty dollars. And we'll hear a little bit more of the evidence of the informant now regarding what he said he was able to ascertain from looking at these particular payment records and the time that they were made.
Speaker 3: So it says this payment was verified with three D secure and may be detected from being disputed for fraud, and that's on May twenty eight, twenty twenty two, at seven twenty five pm. And then it indicates immediately after that the payment succeeded, and then there appears to be an authentication succeeded and payments started all at seven twenty five On May twenty two.
Speaker 5: Eppingstall said that he looked into Aaron Patterson's medical records after becoming aware early on in their investigation that she had spoken about an alleged cancer diagnosis with her family at that particular lunch, and he said what he did to investigate that was he first looked at the Victorian cancer database, also at her doctor's records, and ultimately he said he found that the accused had never been diagnosed with cancer at all and there was no records of any medical appointments that would.
Speaker 6: Back up that claim.
Speaker 5: It was then the subject of cross examination which we heard for the first time for Stephen epping Stall later in the day while and truly after lunch, when Colin Mandy es SI got on the stand and started asking Stephen epping Stall Penny lots more questions about these medical records and what police had been able to find.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the jury had previously heard as part of what Stephen Eppingstall was saying to the prosecution that he had, again as we've talked about, had search warrants and attained the data from different medical facilities and those included three particular doctor practices, one being in lin Gatha, one in karen Burrough and one in Mount Waverley. And so he'd spoken about that previously with the prosecution, but Colin Mandy took him through these elements in a little bit more detail in relation to different elements of Aaron Patterson's medical history. But before he did that, he noted to the detective that Aaron Patterson has no criminal history. He agreed, and that she had been and that he had said in what the jury has been played from the police interview that she'd been quite helpful and he agreed with that.
Speaker 6: He agreed again, Yeah, he definitely did.
Speaker 5: And he also agreed that Aaron Patterson had given police officers permission to break into her property if they needed to in order to find any of the lunch leftovers. And then we heard a little bit more about about the medical records.
Speaker 6: We heard first off a.
Speaker 5: Little bit from Colin Mandy asking the informant whether or not Aaron Patterson's medical records showed that she had raised fears that she may have had ovarian cancer with doctors as early as October.
Speaker 6: Twenty twenty one.
Speaker 5: Penny, you just mentioned there was three different medical practice records that were referred to, but the informant was really taken back to October twenty twenty one and was asked whether or not he could confirm these medical records that were displayed on the screen confirmed that Aaron Patterson had fact made queries over whether or not she may have ovarian cancer. Then also heart failure, ms, chronic fatigue. These types of things were documented in some of these medical notes that have been made by made by doctors. And there was also some text messages to her estranged husband, Simon Patterson that spoke about these same medical concerns around about the same time as though the doctors were documenting those things in her medical records.
Speaker 2: Now we'll play you a little bit of the evidence as the court heard it. This is while the informant is being cross examined by the defense by Colin Mandy sc and it's in relation to a particular number of medical records around changes in Aaron Patterson's health.
Speaker 8: There's a consultation on the twenty first October twenty twenty one. Do you see that, Yes, Sir I do with Cassie jw. You recognize that name, Yes, Sir I do, and that's it Liam Gatha. Yes, And we can see the last paragraph says Aaron worries about ovary cancer, has been googling her symptoms, think her symptoms may be suggestive of overary cancer. And then us which we understand to be ultrasound ovaries review in two weeks with results.
Speaker 1: Do you see that, yes, sir?
Speaker 8: And then above that some results received reviewed all fine, and then MRI booked in six November. Yes, and ultrasound booked in first November, Yes, sir. And you asked some questions this morning by miss Warren about whether or not there was any record of an MRI, but I think the questions were restricted to January to August of twenty twenty three. Yes, correct, sir, And then above that a further consultation which is on the twenty eighth of October at nine thirty three am with Cassie jew And it says this is a referral letter to a general physician called Dr Ogilby thank you for seeing Aaron, who is a mother of two beautiful young kids and lives with her husband. Over the past few months, Aaron has experienced a series of non specific symptoms including extreme fatigue, lathery. I think that should say lethargy, but it says lathery, headache, sore and dry eyes, nausea, poor appetite, indigestion, altered bowel habits, overactive bladder with urinary incontinence, irregular period, weight gait, probably gain pins and needles in her hands and feet, clumsiness in feet.
Speaker 3: Is that right, yes, sir.
Speaker 8: Other than that, she has good general health in the past, and she is not on any medications. I knew erin before as we went to the same church, but I only started to see her as a patient which she presented to our clinic for the above problems. She looked very different from what I know of her, as she seems to put on a lot of weight and looks very swollen in the face, legs, and feet. Other than the generalized swelling, her physical examination is unremarkable. I have organized some investigations. All other routine tests are normal. And that's a letter to doctor Ogilby, who, according to the top line, is a general physician. Yes, sir, that's a referral letter, yep.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 2: As well as these discussions around concerns that Aaron Patterson had brought to doctors about symptoms she'd been googling regarding ovarian cancer and various other elements, there was also quite a bit of talk around procedures that she'd been booked in to undergo, and some of those around sort of her heart and other things. And it was while she was on a holiday in Tasmania. The jury was told that she had this communication back and forth with her strange partner, Simon Patterson.
Speaker 5: Yeh was the fourth of the first twenty twenty two I've got in my notes here, Penny that there was signal messages between these strange couple and in one Aaron Patterson had messaged quote, it's my heart that's troubling me. Then there was further conversations over the following days as well about whether or not she should go public or private, and whether or not the cost for private would be more, but she wouldn't have to wait with the delays, and she also wouldn't then have to go and deal with COVID patients going down that particular route as well. There was also evidence given from the medical staff and in these conversations Aaron Patterson was having with Simon Patterson around that time that she'd been googling her symptoms and was concerned about her health, and the informant agreed. The informant agreed, he said, yes, I agree. This backs up what Colin Mandy was saying. It says that Aaron Patterson had been googling the symptoms, and he agreed that she'd been concerned about her health for this period of time.
Speaker 2: And it was sort of all of this was put to the informant as being this was in the brief of evidence that you collected, wasn't it? And he did agree with most of that. There was a moment where it was a little not heated, but there was a back and forth for a moment where he was asked about some particular medical history regarding her family's medical history and their history with cancer. And we'll just play you a little bit of what was said there now with Colin Mandy and the informant, do.
Speaker 8: You accept that there is material available to investigators and on the brief which demonstrated that in October of twenty twenty one, Aaron Patterson was concerned about having ovarian cancer, yes, sir, And that she sought medical treatment about that or investigations medical investigations about that, yes, sir, yep. And that she has a family history of avarian cancer, both paternal and maternal, with a daughter who had an ovarian mass that is an ovarian syst.
Speaker 3: Well, that's self reported, sir.
Speaker 8: But well, I'm asking you about the records.
Speaker 3: The record says that, and that's what you're.
Speaker 8: Going on, detective, aren't you When you're referring to the medical records, you're relying on the accuracy of what's contained within them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what, Yes, We'll be back with more evidence as it's presented to the jury.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to this episode of Say Grace.
Speaker 2: Please press the follow button in your app to get our next episodes as soon as we publish.
Speaker 5: For more reporting on the case, check out the Age of nine News in your browser or app store.
Speaker 2: We'd like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land that this podcast was recorded on and wherever you're listening to it now.
Speaker 1: Say Grace is created and hosted.
Speaker 6: By me Penelope Lesh and me Erin Peace.
Speaker 1: This podcast is produced by Genevieve Rul.