Speaker 1: Well, unfortunately we're hearing about this a lot in the news every single day, not just in New South Wales, but right across the country for the most part, regional areas allegedly terrorized by groups of teenagers where once we used to hear about kids getting up to the old mischief, you know, vandalism, graffiti, bit of shoplifting. Certainly there were gang wars between teenagers back in the days, we know that, but it was usually fisticuffs. It seems like these days where often hearing about youth crimes involving serious assaults with weapons for example. And the most recent case, of course in New South Wales that's been shocking everyone is a fourteen year old charged not convicted with rape in company with other teenagers. That case, of course will be born out in court, but it made me wonder, if there's not more youth crime, is it more serious and if so why. Jackie Fitzgerald is the executive director of the New South Wales Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research. Thanks for your time, Jackie.
Speaker 2: Hi there, Bill.
Speaker 1: Well, firstly, let's deal with the frequency thing and get that out of the way if we can. In your observations of the data how frequent is youth crime generally compared to previous generations or is it more about how we're processing it.
Speaker 2: Look, I know it doesn't feel like this bill, but there's actually much less to youth crime in the present day than there was, say, fifteen years ago, and we've got a number of sources for that. So primarily we're looking at police recorded incidents and the number of charges police are laying against young people. And if we compare the current year versus the high point is actually around twenty two thousand and eight. If we compare the change over those sixteen year periods, we're looking at about a thirty percent decline in the number of young people who are brought to court Biden, New South Wales Police, and we can also see those figures burning out in the court appearances themselves. And also if we look at the custody Figures Bill, we've got about half as many young people in custody at the present day than we did in two thousand and eight. So really young people today are offending at a much lower rate than they were fifteen or sixteen years ago. And I know it doesn't always feel like that, and there's always these horrible crime stories, and you know, I don't want to defend those in any way or stretch of the imagination, but it is the case that young people these days are less less inclined to get involved in crime than they were a generation ago.
Speaker 1: And of course you've just told us about custodial figures there, So anyone who's getting a bit cynical and thinks they're just hiding the figures, it's pretty hard to hide that. If anyone's actually been charged and arrested, then all that's recorded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no question that police are very cognizant of the concerns about youth crime. And I don't think anyone is accusing yourselfile's police going soft on youth crime. So we're really taking their figures and looking at how many young people they are charging or they can also caution a young person, and all of the metrics suggest to decline. And you know, even if we look at the crime rates, actually most of our crimes have also declined. It is the case Bill that over a person's life, they are more likely to be involved in crime in that kind of late adolescent time than at any other point in your life. So if you imagine that kind of risk taking behavior that you imagine even some of your listeners look back on certain behaviors that they engaged in as a child. I wouldn't dream of doing that now. But it's still the case that over your life course, you're more likely to be involved in crime at a young age than at any other time. But what we're finding is that fewer young people these days are involved in crime, even though it still is the time of your life that you're most likely to be involved in crime. If that's the path you go.
Speaker 1: Down, So we'll go to the next obvious question then, Jackie, and that's great news. Is that, Okay, if we're seeing fewer offenders, are these fewer offenders actually committing more serious crimes? Do you have any stats that waigh that up?
Speaker 2: The crime bit is higher than it was sixteen years ago? Is car theft? So if we compare the rates of car theft and also young people proceeded against the car theft now it's about fifty percent higher than in two thousand and eight. So that's the offense that really is jumping out, and that increase has happened kind of post COVID really, so two thousand and one twenty and twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two, we started to see this increase in car theft and that is associated with an increase in young people's offending. So that's the defense that is fucking this general decline. But other offenses that I know are in the public eye that people are concerned about, and I guess breaking entry is one of the ones that jumps out there. We're still seeing break in rates that are much lower than they were historically, and things like a robbery is another very concerning offense. So there's a violent theft defense with concerning offense. Yes, that is much less common than it was, so about half as common for young people to participate in robbery than they once were, and we're not seeing any evidence of an upstick there. So I think it is true that this half theft is probably the problematic offense, and hopefully there's something of a trend there that will die away, because we are seeing some some places or some parts of particularly regional New South Wales where car theft increased in twenty twenty two has since declined, So it's something of a temporary popular behavior unfortunately that has a peak and then starts to wane and hopefully that's how it goes for the rest of the New South Wales.
Speaker 1: This might be harder to measure. I don't know, but have you seen any correlation with social media? Obviously that has played a role, that's been quite well forgive the term, but it is visible literally when we see these crimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, that increase in car theft is it does definitely seems to be associated with people posting about their offending and really are some quite I guess bragging about their exploits on social media. That seems to be a factor in that car theft increase. So the government have legislated to outlaw posting those kind of of videos. We still haven't seen a huge volume of charges under that particular legislation, but you know, hopefully that will help turn the tide. But I think that is a real problem and one of the reasons why we have seen an uptick in that particular offense. So some other offenses possibly aren't as you don't get as much credibility or bragging rights if you post about your shop lifting or something as some other more minor offenses.
Speaker 1: One more quick question before I let you go, and that is recidivism. Are we seeing many repeat offenders now or is that basically as it always has been.
Speaker 2: I think Bill, the issue is that there's a lot of young people that maybe once would have got involved in crime, but are not are not now. They're engaged in other pursuits, and often indoor pursuits. We know that young people pretty attracted to the gaming console, my children are, and that's you know, for all the harms associated with that, there is possibly a protective element in terms of antisocial behavior. But those kids that do get involved in the criminal justice system, they do reoffend, unfortunately, and young people do have those few young people that are in the criminal justice system do have high rates of reoffending, so we haven't seen a lot of benefit there. But we are talking about a smaller cohort than in previous times, so that's you know, there's some complexity in the picture.
Speaker 1: But that's generally very comforting news. Jackie Fitzgerald, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Thanks Bill,