S1: Hi everyone. Welcome to our Monday edition of the Mark My Words podcast. Hope you enjoyed the rugby league over the course of the weekend. Our Monday edition is always a little bit different story time answering some of your questions. Still no M.G., the great man tonsillitis so he's late scratching again.
S2: We've had to just rest him up again. It's like um, you know the a key player in your team throughout the season and you've just gotta because we're already up the top of the ladder with this podcast. We've just got to manage him through the back end of the season to get him ready for finals.
S1: Oh, so you're running with that? I was actually going to run with the fact that we've paid, um, we've paid Gus. We've paid him 100,000. Put him on the Gus podcast.
S2: Right.
S1: So we've done like a Louis situation.
S2: Oh, right.
S1: So I think your one's better. We'll run with yours.
S2: Yeah. Let's run with mine.
S1: Just resting.
S2: Him. We're arresting him up for a big run into the final series.
S1: Although Cameron Munster I mean he's he's out for six weeks. He's done a knee cartilage problem. Let's just hope he's out for the week.
S2: Yeah, it's just this week. We'll get him back in now.
S1: Um, piggy story time. I was thinking right, story time this week. Um, we've just had a wonderful Harvey Norman women in league round. Yes. And women play an important role in our game, the NRL w which you're involved in with the Saint George-illawarra Dragons. Um, and then if I'm to think back to your illustrious career and your life now you've got the beautiful Carly Riddell, your darling wife, former Miss Australia. That's a miracle in itself. How piggy married a former Miss Australia.
S2: And this turned.
S1: Into how the hell did you get.
S2: From.
S1: Australia? Unbelievable. Um, but one of the things that our listeners won't be familiar with. What's that? Is that throughout your illustrious playing career, there was another very important woman in your life. Mhm. And that was your mum.
S2: Sandy still is old Sandy.
S1: What did mum Sandy do for you when your football.
S2: Well mate, I um well my mum and dad, Sandy and Alan, Sandra and Alan Riddell, they uh they were the typical parents of when you, you know, went to everything, went to every rugby league game, drove me everywhere, did everything for me, mate. I didn't move out of home. Right. I didn't move out of home till I was 25. Right. And this is no bullshit either. Me and my older brother Shane, old Shane, we shared a room.
S1: Excuse me.
S2: We shared a bedroom till I was 20.
S1: Until 25.
S2: He was 27.
S1: What if you've gone down to the pub and you know you've gone successful and there's a lovely lady. Hello.
S2: Hello, hotels.
S1: Oh.
S2: Mate, I don't want to pump my own trumpet here, but they used to call us the two richest blokes in Risby. That list shared a bedroom together. That's a true story, mate. He used to. Shane. Oh, my brother is a, um. He's a crane driver, right? He lives on the Gold Coast now. Drives all the big cranes that builds all the high rises on the Goldie in Brisbane, but he was working in Sydney and he was a heavy like, big time worker. Right. So they do long hours. But he was also a big drinker. Right. So he would like get home at midnight and he'd be up at three four in the morning back on the train going into work. So like our, our paths didn't really cross too much. Um, because I was obviously playing footy and going to training every day and, and, but literally we, um, we lived at home till 20, I was 25. He would have been older, he would have been older than me. I then moved out, I moved out into a unit I bought over at um Alloway over Kogarah and um.
S1: But did you live in that with Daniel Wagon?
S2: No. Wags lived around the corner. Wags lived down at Ramsgate. I lived that on live there on my own first, and then I lived with the great Leigh Bennett.
S1: Leroy Leigh. Well, the reason I asked you about Daniel wagon, I, um, and I'm digressing here. We'll come back to your darling mum in just a second. Sandy, I was stopped recently by a gentleman who used to be the licensee at the. What's the name of the pub?
S2: Intersection.
S1: The intersection. Was it the. Anyway? Hotel.
S2: Intersection. Tavern. It's the intersection tavern.
S1: And he. Let me just say, ladies and gentlemen, told me some very interesting stories about this man and Daniel.
S2: Well, that's where we used to drink. Well, the wine I used to call it The Wire. The Alawa Hotel was literally 200m from my place. But then Wag's place, um, it was his. He was right near the intersection, hotel, intersection, tavern or whatever it is. So we used to drink. Excuse me. We used to drink between the two, uh, the guru Eric Grothe Jr, um, Peaky Adam Peak. He was over that way as well. Peaky actually saw Peaky on the weekend at the Bulldogs. Uh, old boys day, him and his old man Johnny Peak. Um, but yeah, that's that's where we used to drink. So we mate, we had, we had a great time. We had an unbelievable.
S1: I wasn't going to share this story, but this is probably the cleanest one that I can share. This particular gentleman told me there was one night that you boys were playing a poker machine, and you may have won a jackpot or something. He said, one of my lasting memories is to walk into the poker machine room and find first grade footballers effectively patching the screen of a poker machine. And he said, Mark, it was the most revolting thing I've ever seen, knowing full well that we hadn't cleaned the screen of that poker machine for about a month.
S2: Well, I can't I can't confirm or deny because I can't remember. Mate, we had the best time down there. We. Yeah, it was a great time, whether it was at the Y or at the, uh the you know. Well that's what we used to call it the, you know, the, you know, back in the day. Um, yeah, some great times, some very funny times. Back on to.
S1: Back to Sandy.
S2: Yeah. Because we got we digressed. We get women in mate mine. And I'm probably a little bit ashamed to admit this, but I don't really give a shit. Um, my mum used to pack my footy bag every week. Like obviously from when I was a little kid, she'd pack it and I'm talking Math, God, boots, socks, shorts, towel, you know, whether it's polo or jacket.
S1: Or every week.
S2: Every week. That didn't change until I moved out when I was 25. So I was playing in the NRL. I started when I playing, I was playing 1920 when I made my NRL debut. My mum would pack my bag every week for the NRL, right? No bullshit. And every time I'd come home from NRL, my mum would clean my boots. Like not not like just, oh yeah, give him a dust off. And that my mum would take all the laces out, clean all my boots, replace them all, wash all the, soak the laces in the sink like in the laundry. And every week I'd have a brand new fresh pair of boots every week if I liked a pair because I ended up, you know, I was sponsored by sponsored by Puma for my whole career. But if I liked a pair of boots and I kept wearing them every week, my mum would clean them until I was 25.
S1: She deserves a medal. Your mum.
S2: My unbelievable mate. She deserves a medal for having to put up with me for 46 years. I guarantee I will guarantee you that.
S1: Was there ever a moment like because you were a bit of a party boy and a bit of a character. Were there ever moments where. Let's just say Piggy Riddell would feature on the back page of The Telegraph or dare I say it, the front page and, um, mumma, just walk in and maybe just leave the paper on your bed or something.
S2: Yeah, yeah, that or she would send me a text and I'd just say, what have you done now? Hey, here's one for you. Here's one for.
S1: You. What have you done now?
S2: Done now. No. Are you okay? What have you done now? I reckon that's what it would have been back in the day, mate. Here's one that my mum did to me. And it's a it's a little bit off topic, but it's got to do with living. I was living at home 2005. I was playing at Parramatta. I just moved over there, uh, sorry to the club. And it was before I'd moved out and we went really good that season. We were minor premiers. And anyway, we got bundled out of the finals. I went on the biggest bender ever, like end of year Mad Monday, all of that. I came home, I think it was like the Tuesday or the Wednesday, obviously, you know, had a big, big whatever few days. And on my bed was back then a CD and it was a CD of the song by, I think the guy's name, Daniel Powter. I don't know if that's his name or not. You've had a bad day and you've had you've had a bad day. That was on my on my bed and that was my mum gave it to me after we'd got beaten by the Cowboys 29 nil in the preliminary final to go into the grand final. My mum bought me that CD and put it on my bed. You've had a bad day.
S1: Haggard. Sandy Riddell you know what? We needed a fill in for me if he's off next time. No. Um, I don't know whether you're comfortable sharing this, but I think we've spoken about it on air before. Um, you're so obviously as a as a highly paid NRL player, probably, you know, not at the top level but you know, middle of the ground sort of player. Is it true your so your NRL salary got paid to mum and dad and then they paid you a wage.
S2: Oh no. So what they did was right. So when I yeah. No I don't talk about mate.
S1: I'm 46 now but I. But I think it's I think it's very very smart on mum and Dad's behalf just to control how much and to help set you up for post-career for.
S2: That's right. Yeah. And I'm. Yeah. At the time I was ropeable and filthy. I wanted all the money, you know, but now I look back and I'm like, oh, thank God, thank God they did what they did, mate. When I first came into the NRL, um, I wasn't on a lot of money, but I was on a lot of money if I played and I played the whole season. So I was getting a lot of money that I wasn't used to getting. Um, before I played in the NRL, I was, I was an apprentice horticulturalist doing in my apprenticeship, and I was getting 250 bucks a week, but I was obviously getting paid an amount of money from, from the Dragons. But then I played 26 games. So I ended up making well over six figures in in my first year. Well, that was mate. The talk about poker machines spinning. Well, that's what they were doing. And I had a gambling problem straight away. In my first year. I'd spend after the game, I'd spend the whole night in um in, in clubs and, and pubs playing pokies. Oh really. Yeah. And I was dropping anywhere from, I don't know, 5000 to 10,000 in a weekend. Oh wow. Um so my mum and dad went and put me and it didn't last long. It wasn't like it was a long thing where it was probably like over a couple of months and they saw it straight away and um, we fixed it, uh, went to, I remember going to my accountant, um, and we set up an account and that account, uh, could only be um, withdrawn from if my and back then you had to sign for it. So my accountant and myself had to sign to ever take money out of that account. So what we did is every month my football money would go into that account. No one would touch it. And then each week I'd get paid like an apprenticeship. So the first year I think I was on like $400 and I get 400 bucks a week and everything else was covered. So like everything was paid for my mobile phone and all those sorts of bills were covered. But I got $400 a week. And then I think the second year was $500, and the third year was $600. And then when I got to 25, 26, then obviously I took took back over of, of all the all the money. But that's how that's how it all started for me.
S1: Smart, wasn't.
S2: It? Yeah. There you go.
S1: Hey, I wasn't aware of the gambling issues. I'm glad you your mum and your.
S2: Yeah. Look and I don't want no one needs to feel sorry for me. It wasn't bad. It was just that, mate. And I guarantee you all kids would do it. They'd get this big money. All of a sudden I think, how good's this? And and I was only over. I was only over probably a 4 to 6 week period. I was spending a lot of money and my mum and dad saw it in the bank account, hey, what's going on here? And then we nipped in the bud straight away and sorted that out, set all that up and I never oh like, I still gamble but no, never with an issue.
S1: Um from from Sandy and shout out to Sandy superstar. We go to Cali Rydell.
S2: Is this this feels like.
S1: This is your.
S2: This is your life.
S1: It's the Harvey Norman women in league round. Piggy. We're making.
S2: No. And we've got no bloody m g.
S1: We're celebrating. Yeah. Energy could tell us about his darling wife. Yeah.
S2: That's right.
S1: You know, these kids and all the people that have played a role in his career. So it's just me here grilling you now. So but um I, I thought for the, and for those who listen to our radio show, they've probably heard this story, but our podcast listeners may not have, um, the day at Rosehill Racecourse.
S2: Yes.
S1: When you spotted the love of your life.
S2: Well, mate, first of all, before I tell the story, Riddle's got a fair strike rate at Rosehill Racecourse. Well, my brother Shea know that. I was just talking about. He met his missus at Rosehill Racecourse as well. What about that? I just remembered that then. Um, mate, I did. I, um, I met Carly at Rosehill Racecourse. Right. So this is what happened was again, I was playing at Parramatta, um and I played the Canberra Raiders at Parramatta Stadium and I. He took a bloke, hit him high. Broke my thumb and you can see the scar. Had to have this operation so I had the operation the next day. Literally plate nine screws was out for a few weeks. I think it was was out for three weeks and the boys the next week were playing. This is how professional I was. The boys the next week were playing the Gold Coast and the Gold Coast. I had nothing to do because I was back in there. So I was like, so me and my late great mate Chad Robinson, who's no longer no longer with us now, but me and Robbo were like, well, let's go to the races. Here we go. Anyway, we hired we hired a corporate box and there was a fair few of us there. And um, yeah, we went down to the normal area, you know.
S1: Oh, down, down to the normal area.
S2: We went down to the concourse or whatever it is. And we were down there for a while. And then I was standing there and I saw Carli and might have been a friend with her. So I just walked up sort of behind her with a drink and my betting slip and I'm like, uh. So, uh, what are you backing in this race? And that's how that's how it started. We went from there. Then we obviously talking, then we took them, they came up into our, uh, our corporate box. And then we ended up going, you know, you go across the road to riches. There's a bar there. We went there and then off into Parramatta.
S1: Not upstairs. Hello?
S2: No, no, no.
S1: Just.
S2: Just out that night. Leaving. Thank you.
S1: She's she's a she's a wonderful woman.
S2: She is.
S1: She does a lot another wonderful woman. And um and now of course your involvement in NRL w um it's it's great to see isn't it. The um the rise and rise of the women's game and you know like there's a long term strategy here. A lot of people one, one thing that a lot of people say to me is, Mark, how is it sustainable when you turn on the TV and there's no one in the stands? I agree, but there's a long term vision for this, right? Like Rome wasn't built in a day. It's going to take time. And now that there's a pathway and the the real moment where it sort of opened my eyes was when we covered a women's origin game and I looked down. I remember at Commbank, I looked down and there were young girls lining the fence ten deep to meet these players. And I thought to myself that that's the next generation of NRL players. So, um, it's only going to grow and grow. And you know, it's, it's the reason why I applaud people like Katie Page for, for investing money in it through Harvey Norman, but also the NRL and the commission for backing what we're doing. And you're at the coalface.
S2: Yeah. Look, I thoroughly enjoy my role with the Dragons in the NRL space. I'm the assistant coach and I'm also the head of recruitment and pathways. So I look after all of that. Um and you're right like the game is still the female game has still got a long way to go. And I've got my own opinions on what sort of needs to happen. It's probably not the right day for that, but, uh, you're right. Um, what, what we are getting is we're getting young girls that are growing up and not only are they watching the men play, but they're watching the women play and they're wanting to be those women, and they want to one day grow up as an NRL player. How we get to that point is obviously a conversation for another day in terms of, um, professional contracts and structures of how many teams and how long the season is and how the players can handle it and whatnot. But, uh, it's great. And what, what we, what we will see in the next probably 5 to 7 years is we're going to start seeing girls that have played rugby league from when they've grown up. And by that, I mean you'll see girls that have actually gone from under six seconds played with the boys and then had their own teams with the girls that come through under 12 seconds, under 14 seconds, under 16 seconds, under 18 seconds into the junior reps and then play NRL debut. And that that's probably yeah, that's probably 5 to 7 years away where we're going to start. And then what you'll see then is you'll start to see a real, uh, increase in the standard of play again, because those players have been coached from their whole career, because we hear the stories now and, you know, you think of someone like Kezie apps, you know, had to stop playing when she was 12 because she couldn't play with the boys anymore. Well, that's changed now. Um, all the female players are able to play right through. Uh, they've got their own competitions once they get to the age of 12. Um, and that's going to have a huge impact on the women's game.
S1: Fantastic. All right. Well, let's get into the, uh, the questions. Um, geez, with that spiel there, I'm just thinking, I hope the NRL's not listening. They might try and recruit you to be the head of the NRL.
S2: W well, do you want to get onto that subject? I don't know why there's not a head of the NRL. W it's an issue in the NRL w space that if for the life of me, I don't understand why there isn't somebody that is leading and running the NRL w game.
S1: Hey you don't get any ideas. I want you here. You're very important.
S2: PVL if you need me I'm a phone call away.
S1: No, you just keep lobbying PVL for your bloody tickets.
S2: PTL you just zip it and keep going, please. Part time.
S1: Part time, part time. PVL is a bloke has a week off from working six and a half days a week. Oh, and these blokes are into me.
S2: PTMG.
S1: TMG. Um, first question from Sam and, uh, and reminder, you can leave your questions, um, in the, the little box underneath or wherever you leave your questions. Um, and we'll get into them. We'll ask the first one from Sam. Then I think we might have to take a quick break and we'll come back to the rest. Um, who are the fittest players you played with? The ones who would um, win all the time trials in preseason and put you to shame piggy. I know, not my strong point.
S2: Yeah, not not probably my area of expertise.
S1: How'd you go on the beat test, mate? Hated it.
S2: Hated it. Um, I used to actually do a right in it. Not too bad, not too bad. But it just depended on what stage I was in. November. Probably not the best by January. February. Probably a lot better, mate back in our day. And oh, I hate saying that. But all all the talk from all the clubs was Kurt Gidley. Um, that he was the fittest by far that he um with the beep test and all those things everyone used to talk about Gids and, and how fit he was in terms of my clubs, I'm trying to think like blokes like the Dragons, Mark Gasnier just naturally fit and mate. He could, he could, he could go out on a night out and then he could turn up the next day and just absolutely shred the fitness, the the training, everything. Um, I'm trying to think who else in the in the eels, mate. Heidi wasn't sort of even though Heidi was so fit in the games, Heidi wasn't great in the fitness. I'm trying to think of the eels.
S1: Is it fair to say the more leaner type blokes were. Yeah, well, the.
S2: Blokes like Lukey, Bert, Lukey, Bert, Bert.
S1: He would have been fit. I always look at the front rowers and I think, you know, the poor buggers in the middle of a pre-season in the summer like that must be torture for them.
S2: Yeah, well, I know one bloke that I played with, the guru, he, he wasn't that wasn't his go guru. Shout out to guru. I've been speaking to the guru lately.
S1: Oh was it a function last year where his dad's band performed.
S2: Oh yeah. Senior.
S1: Um what's their name. Is it, is it um.
S2: Isn't it Eric Grothe and the gurus.
S1: That might be it up all night thinking of the name of it. Um, they're very good.
S2: But I'm trying to think I'm racking my brain. Who would be the fittest blokes with what I played at guys is massive. He was great. Benny Hornby probably would have been at the Dragons. Um, at para.
S1: What about Nathan Brown or someone?
S2: Nah, browny finished when I started. Oh, okay. Yeah, he's lucky too. Otherwise he would have finished his career in reserve grade. No, I always tell, I always tell browny that one. I've said that one to you before. He's lucky we played the same position. Would have been terrible for him to finish his career.
S1: Didn't you replace him at the Dragon?
S2: Yeah, I did, that's what I'm saying.
S1: Okay. Fair enough. Um, do we need to take a break, Jules, or keep going? Okay, we'll take a quick break. Come back, we'll take a break, and we'll come back with more of your questions right after this. All right. Let's keep going with these questions. We got some good ones again this week, our listeners and viewers on fire. Thank you for all of that.
S2: What do you got for me, Levi.
S1: From Margaret Boys massive Sharks fan here. Gavin Miller was my favorite player, but with his head taped up and the shoulder pads, it got me wondering which player took the longest to get ready for a game.
S2: Oh my God, we're going down memory lane here, mate, I can't remember. I know that sounds terrible.
S1: Well, I don't think we've mentioned it on the podcast you used to.
S2: I'll tell I'll tell you about my preparation. I used to come in to the dressing sheds I used to rip off.
S1: After eating the barbecue chicken.
S2: No, that's bullshit.
S1: Chris.
S2: Okay. That's okay. That's how Keith tossing him.
S1: Up, mate. He's I I've challenged him. I said to him because he he swears by this. I know as a young dragons fan at Kogarah, I watched piggy in the players enclosure eat a whole barbecue chook.
S2: I don't think I did.
S1: Before kick.
S2: Off. I don't know if I did look, I'd be impressed with myself if I did.
S1: That's no denial.
S2: But I love to get in the sheds and I strip off, have a shower, cold shower straight away. Then I go and get my strapping, uh, done, my ankles and whatnot. I used to always have the same Aussies Speedos to wear. I put my Speedos on. Put my shorts, my sock, my sock, my boot, my boot. Um. And then yeah, like I'd have all my drinks that I'd take. I've told, I've showed you what I used to do.
S1: Drinks.
S2: Yeah. So I'd get a Powerade and a water bottle and I'd pour half the um, drink half the water, pour half the Powerade into the water, then get another water and pour half the power, half the water into Powerade so they'll half diluted. And I'd drink them. And then I'd have like my Red bull, my Sudafed and everything like that that I took right before a game. And I'd have all that set up there. But then just as we ran on the field every time before I played and this was even when I was, I was young, like, even when I was playing junior reps Cup of Water. And as I ran on the field, I always pour it on my head. And that was like my sign to write. I wake up, you got to be ready to go. And then I wash.
S1: I start doing that before the tube morning show. Just sip a cup of water.
S2: We have a cold shower, mate, just before you go on air. Then you'll be able to just bang, bang, bang. How about those politicians more?
S1: Do you know how cold it is at 3:45 when I get up? MM.
S2: Very very cold.
S1: Whoever invented those in the in the ensuite for the main bedroom. My joint. You got the heat lamps in the ceiling.
S2: Oh.
S1: Whoever invented them in.
S2: Your castle, is it. Yeah.
S1: No, it's not a castle. Not a castle. Although it has appeared on the front of a few newspapers or inside newspapers lately. Anyway, thank God that's all over. Um, from Dean High marks. Ray Stone is one of my favourite players. He has that bit of crazy about him. But I wanted to know in your day, who were the guys that were really quiet off the field but turned into a maniac on the field?
S2: Oh, one comes to mind straight away. I'm not. I don't know if you remember him. Levy. Craig Smith he was my first ever captain at the Dragons New Zealand International front rower. I felt safe when Smithy was on the field. Um, he was the nicest. I still remember him taking him, taking me under his wing. He flogged absolute crap out of me fitness and everything like that. Training. And then on the field, he just turned into a lunatic. He actually got I remember he got stung. He got, um, went to the judiciary for the knee lift. That's right. That many times lifting the knee and. But mate, he was he was a machine.
S1: I've got one for you.
S2: Who you.
S1: Got? Um, Josh Morris introduced me to him at the airport magic round last year. Jared Waerea-hargreaves.
S2: Oh, yeah. Quite nice bloke in the world.
S1: I couldn't believe that I was standing there. He kept asking me questions about, like, what I did and, you know, the politics and all that sort of thing. And I just thought to myself, this bloke is one of probably the most intimidating and ferocious blokes I've ever seen on the field. And here he is as nice as part of me at an airport. I'm thinking, what the hell's going on here? So would he be up there?
S2: Yeah, yeah, Jared would be for sure.
S1: Great, great lunatic on the field.
S2: Not that. Not that I know Jared really well, but my great fellow. And then on the field, just a machine.
S1: Machine from Keith. If I can say this politely. Uh, you boys struggle a bit up with the hairline. I remember David Barnhill being bald his whole career. Were there any former teammates who were losing it at that? Were really sensitive about.
S2: It, mate. Hey.
S1: Good question.
S2: I'm gonna I'm gonna. The old nickname. We had a bloke at the at the Dragons. I won't mention his name. And we used to call him 4020 because he looked 40 and he was only 20.
S1: Are you talking about.
S2: I'm not gonna mention his name. I'm not gonna. I'm not gonna mention it. He played. He played for the Dragons. Played. I think he played a few games for Souths as well. I won't mention his name, but anyway, you won't. You won't, you won't. You won't get him. You won't get him. He only played a few games, but his nickname was 4020 because he was pretty much bald. And uh, look forward. He was only 20.
S1: It's a it's a pretty ruthless mate.
S2: I'll tell you a story about the hair. Right. I was playing at Parramatta, right. And I got this phone call one day from a hair mob like, you know, stop it. Yeah. True story.
S1: Or something.
S2: Well, one of those, um, one of those companies got and they're like, mate, we want to pay, we want to give you the full treatment because you know, you're not thinning, but you know what, you got your hair, but you're starting to thin, you know, like, and if we get it early enough and. Oh yeah. Right. Oh how much? Yeah. Okay. What have I got to do? So anyway, I had to go to this place in Parramatta and have like the treatment, you know, when they put like a, I don't know, some sort of light or something on there and they rub stuff in your hair. But I had to go to it every week. And then they gave me shampoo and these oils to put in my hair. And I went once and then I was just like, hey, guys, you know what? I'd rather be bald. And I never went back. It was good money. I never got paid a cent. And I was like, I'm not coming here every week for however long. I said, that's all right, guys. I just go bald. And that was it. Never, never, never went back.
S1: Another good story. Uh, one last one from Kel. Were there any coaches you could play practical jokes on? They had a really good sense of humor. Well, um, we work with Cooper Johns on the weekend. Him and Brandon Smith pranked, uh, Craig Bellamy by putting the rocks in his bag. Remember when they were going somewhere during Covid? I think it was.
S2: Yeah.
S1: Coach's pranks.
S2: Um, mate, I am sure you know who I caught up with. Not that I did any pranks on him. Andrew Farrell on Saturday. Well, Pops.
S1: Farrell.
S2: He's good. Uh, Andrew Farrell, obviously he played with the big man, um, back in the 80s at the Bulldogs. But, um.
S1: I heard him give one of the greatest sprays of all time. I was back refereeing this. This. I did a game at Kogarah. Yeah. Um, and I did the game before. It must have been before their game or whatever it was. Um anyway he's just come storming in. It was half time because I was on standby for the next game. I've never heard anything like it. It was one of the greatest sprays of all.
S2: Well, he he gave me he gave me a spray over over the years when I got sent off. Anyway, story for another day. Um, no, but I, yeah, I got to see pops. Pops gave me my NRL debut. That's why it was great to see him. Um, but coaches that we played mate I'm sure I did play pranks.
S1: On coach Brian Smith.
S2: So I had uh. Andrew. Farrah. Yep. For a couple of years and I had Nathan Brown for a couple of years. And I just thought of a story her brownie. But it's not fair. Um, Brian Smith then I had Jason Taylor for a year, then I had Michael Hagan at Parramatta as well. And then.
S1: Easy to prank the, the.
S2: Mate. Well JT was I, we only had him for half a season 2006. JT was great. Um picking up from from Smithy when Smithy left, but Michael Hagan, mate Hayes was unreal. Michael Hagan he was such a such a great man manager and um, mate, when I was out with the boys it'd be three in the morning, I reckon, four in the morning, and I'd ring him and I would ring Breathe.
S1: You've done that to former broadcasters of this radio network.
S2: Oh, mate, I would ring him and tell him where we were and sing songs to him and everything like that.
S1: How did he handle that?
S2: He loved it, absolutely loved it. And shout out to Hayes if you're watching or listening, because mate, he's one of the greats. He was a great fellow and I'm imploring.
S1: I used to.
S2: Mate.
S1: I used to talk to him.
S2: My phone's off. I'm not that silly. Um, but yeah, mate, he was unreal. We used to ring him at whatever hour.
S1: And.
S2: Spray him. It was great.
S1: Well, there you go. There's the questions. There's the podcast for this Monday. Uh, we'll have another one dropping on Thursday to preview the next round of the comp. As we get closer and closer to the finals, M, G will hopefully be back with us as well after his bout of tonsillitis. Piggy go world champion.
S2: See you later. Bye bye. See you guys.
S1: Piggy Riddell. This has been another edition of Mark My Words. Make sure you subscribe, like write some questions and we'll put them to the boys here on the podcast. Enjoy your week and we'll talk to you on Thursday.