S1: Well, good day and welcome to this episode of Mark My Words. On today's podcast, we're kicking things off with a cracking story time segment. We'll be spinning some of the wildest and funniest yarns from on and off the field. After that, we're turning the mic over to you as we deep dive into the mailbag. Tackle your biggest footy questions. As always, make sure you follow the continuous call team wherever you watch or listen to your podcasts. You can also find us on YouTube and on Instagram. Just search the continuous call team and grab a cold one. Settle in and let's get into it boys. Story time today I thought about this one, guys. Uh, New South Wales are heading to Suncorp. Yep. I think things are a lot different than the way they used to be, but this is story time. Throughout your career, boys, which away dressing rooms were notoriously the worst to visit. And what lengths did the home club go to in order to disrupt your preparation. This is a good one. I've heard some great yarns about this, mate.
S2: The first one that comes to mind for me was the Newcastle Knights. Same milligram holes in the roof hose, everything in the shed. So you'd walk in and they. You'd walk in the shed and there was a room. And then there was a strapping room, and then the showers and everything was sort of over here. Yeah. And, and you'd go and get strapped and then you'd have to tippy toe back to.
S1: Your.
S2: Like, where you had your gear. And then like it was all wet on the bench and it was just shit.
S1: Well.
S3: When they first, uh, 88 was the first time we went there to, um, Newcastle and by 89 we, we took thongs with us. Really. So we knew that we knew they were going to wet wet the ceiling. Like water was dripping from the ceiling as you were getting your massage. Yeah. Like and then Canberra was another one. Notorious. They turned the hot water off. Would they? Oh, in middle of winter.
S2: Well I think they used to turn the heaters on when I was playing down there because then you'd middle of winter you'd be in the sheds shades getting.
S1: Nice.
S2: And warm.
S1: Yeah. Oh. Far out.
S3: Nothing beats but I on the kangaroo tour.
S2: Yeah.
S3: I missed the first game because I tonsillitis against Wakefield. Oh our second game was okay. Keep going. Our second game was in Cumbria. Yeah. So we went up there to play Cumbria and I walked in and the first thing we all saw was on top of a toilet seat. The biggest Edgar Britt you've ever seen in your life. You did. Sitting there.
S1: You.
S3: Go. What the fuck is that? It had a heartbeat. I said shit on the fucking toilet.
S2: A pair of.
S3: Boots. A wristband?
S1: Yeah. Get him on the table for a massage.
S3: Oh, we. After first being like.
S1: They did not. MM.
S3: Okay.
S1: So ridiculous.
S3: So picture it. Right. We were in England and I know this because he played, there would have been most of the, most of the, uh, the dressing rooms under the grandstand, which is kind of. Which slopes?
S1: Yeah, you'd have to walk the.
S3: Most times all the blokes over six foot would have to stand over here. Yeah. Because if we stood over there we got a duck and it's really small. It's really compact. Tiny, tiny, tiny like places like, you know, Huddersfield and Wakefield.
S2: And you said Wakefield. That's what I thought you were going to start talking.
S3: Well I was there but I was, I had tonsillitis.
S2: Wakefield's horrendous.
S3: Um but they were all like it. And we went to Cumbria like of all places that's you know the Lakes district. Yeah. Beautiful. Beautiful, beautiful. Right near Scotland. Yeah, yeah. And we walked in and everyone dropped their bag and the first person went, what the fuck?
S1: No. Could you smell it though, when you walked in?
S3: Not really, because it's too cold. That's so. Well, you just see it. Just a big Edgar on top of this. Like the seat was down.
S2: Was it steaming?
S1: It would have been. It would have been. It was that.
S3: Yeah. Like you know, you know when you're sweating on the. Yeah. It's freezing and all the steams.
S1: Yeah.
S3: It's like this fucking thing was going.
S1: It's like a scrum.
S3: Almost had a mouth going.
S1: So what did you do?
S3: I've got someone.
S1: Like. Yeah, great. Got rid of.
S3: It. Got rid of.
S1: The blue shirt.
S3: We all sit around and come back to it.
S1: Well, I did a stand up, did a stand up set. But you know what?
S3: But every, every home, every away game when I first started was a real shit dressing room because, um, the crowd knew you were in there and so the crowd could get to you by, by volume, by voice. So you had like picket, uh, concrete windows that you could hear the people outside walking past and they could hear you talking. They'd all go, ah, ah, like they'd walk up to the window and just.
S1: I remember someone saying, it might have even been Matty Johns was saying when they would go to like, art. Yeah. And people would be spitting on him through the window.
S3: Oh, mate. Like, yeah, like that was funny because I played one year there.
S1: It might have been like art.
S3: But you could actually stand there on the urinal and see the the game.
S1: Yeah.
S3: Right. Like you could watch it. Yeah. It's um. Oh the hostile mate. Like the way games were were hostile. Campbelltown, the all around the park, you know, they were just I remember being at Dragons and I had the skull calling me, calling me. Yeah, she is Marcia Goya.
S4: Look at that, boys.
S3: Because we go out the back of Kroger to warm up. And he was just he'd be there into us.
S2: Well, he was barred from the inside the grounds a lot of the time.
S3: He was because he was he was on a box on a crate.
S2: Be up on the thing looking over the the fence.
S1: He did he, I think he got barred for like 2 or 3 years or something, I think.
S2: And I think he's still around.
S3: I hope he is because I, I found out like late, not lately, but after we played there I went, who is that bloke? He's he's scary looking with his big thick glasses. Yeah. And I used to live at Whalan and he lives at. He live at Emerton. Oh really? Which is in the same suburb, Mount Druitt. We're in Mount Druitt, boys. So he's a Mad Dragons fan.
S2: Oh, I didn't know.
S3: So we're going to try and find the skull. This is our our mission. If anyone watching this podcast or listening to this podcast knows where the skull is.
S2: The skull used to like me because of my.
S3: You play the.
S2: Dragons? No, but my God.
S1: Yeah, I know. Oh, he was called something else. I was going to bring it up, but I know exactly what you're talking about.
S2: Can I say on the on the dressing rooms, Wakefield. Yeah. That's just the ground. I remember tiny, like the dressing room would have been as big as this.
S3: Yeah I know.
S2: Right. That's it. And blokes would have to sort of ah, you go and get changed and then I'll come in later and you go out and like that was just awkward and shit and it'd be fucking freezing and you'd just be going, what am I doing?
S3: I know. What about what about in England? This happened to you when you played? Maybe it was. Maybe it was before your time. But after a game over in England, I remember my first stint was there at Sheffield in 88. I went in and after training and there's the big bath running and everyone jumps in the bath together. Oh really? Where's the fucking showers? Everyone's there. Muddle over him in the past?
S2: Yeah. No.
S3: So sit in the bath.
S1: With the whole.
S3: Team. The whole.
S1: Team. We all love a bath.
S4: They love a bath. Get the bath.
S3: Get up! Rolled around corner.
S2: The other. The other one that I had. Right. This is going back now. And I just remembered it. I played in the Australian Schoolboys team in 1998 and we played at Eden Park.
S3: Oh yeah.
S2: New Zealand schoolboys. Have you ever played? I don't know, but all I can remember the window similar to sort of like the windows were for the dressing room, were up high, and that was sort of where the fans could walk behind the grandstand. Every one of the Kiwi fans kicked the window in, landed on Mark Gasnier's head smashed and head and what? Yeah. Fucking kicked it in and it landed. We I think it was after the game and we'd just beaten him and someone kicked the fucking window in and it landed on us.
S4: Wow.
S2: It was like a fucking full window. Yeah, yeah. Kicked it in and cutting and cutting. Cutting what? Jesus. I think he had to have some stitches. Didn't. Wasn't bad cuts. Yeah, yeah. But like superficial. But nothing. Stitches wound in the head. Well, before you'd even run out. No. After the game. After the game. After we beat him. Yeah. Eden Park. I'll never forget it. Yeah. I just England, England was just. When you look back on it now, you look back on fondness because it's such a great part of your life. But the dressing rooms are small. Oh, mate. Well, the team I played for, Wigan, we had the you had the big one. You had beautiful facilities. We had the grounds. Yeah. Did you used to do anything to other teams coming in though? Like, would you play with them a bit? I wouldn't even think of doing anything like that to the other teams sheds. No, that's a good ploy. But I'll tell you the one I love, though I'm disappointed in myself. I know, I know, like I should have done like you. I should have like a couple of. People doing the doing Edgar on the on the toilet in there. Like the best one to go actually look like someone did that. I know, I know, but you cannot or you can't like I can I, I can't believe that they've gone. Oh yeah. Yeah. But just because they probably did their last training run, they weren't, away. You know what? Let's give him a little. Hey, lads, let's give him a little welcome party, huh? You can imagine the whole team just laughing their head off at the dude that's doing it as well. Because we laughed in the end. We went all the way back in the bus. We were going. How good was that? Like that? Yeah. How many of the boys on tour left on other things now as well? I saw this over in England. This was a great idea. Um, I love also guys, Brookvale Oval. He's still got to run through that tunnel with. And you got a little cage into the cage. The the. Oh yeah. The cage in the cage. But even their sheds are shit. Yeah, they're still shit. Yeah they are. They were shit like when I played, when I played like they were just that long corridor. That's what yours was. Yeah. With all benches and showers were opposite. Yeah, that was it. Because the first thing you do when you go to an away game is check the showers to see if they got you after the game. You need a hot shower. Yeah, that just gets all the shit away from you. And and yeah, yeah, some have just got crap ones. Yeah. I think Melbourne's Olympic Park would.
S5: Be terrible as well. On a cold.
S2: Wet. Yeah, I can't remember.
S5: That would be terrible. Great story time, boys. We're going to take a break and come back with your listener questions. Don't you go anywhere. Righty o. Welcome back to Mark my words. First question here from Dom Boyce. If you're in charge of the rule book for a day, which current rugby league rule would you completely scrap or change?
S2: Oh, Jesus. Um, it's got to be the obvious one, doesn't it? It's the six to go. I'll just refine it. I just I just think at the moment actually no, because of late they've they've ruled it back in. So I've haven't really got much to complain about.
S5: I think the I think they've got the balance right at the moment.
S2: I think so too. I think the.
S6: Seven tackle sets.
S5: So.
S6: Yeah. Okay. So the seven tackle sets were brought in because everyone was kicking the ball dead to nullify fullbacks carrying the ball. They have changed. They've they've adjusted the rules this year with the seven tackle sets going back. Uh, they've changed that a little bit. But I still think that if you kick a ball in the end goal, you shouldn't get penalized with a seven tackle set. You know, if you're trying to put a nice grubber in or anything like that, I don't think, and I don't think you should get penalized with seven tackles. I just think it should be if you're in your own half and you kick the ball dead. Yep. It's a seven tackle set. But if you're if you're attacking and you're kicking there, yeah, you're attacking kicks. There shouldn't be a penalty.
S2: Okay, I've got one too. I think that I think with the obstruction when it's when we see obstruction, we kind of as players we know it when they go, oh he should have went to. But when when it's if I'm making my if if I'm going through as a decoy runner and it's right near the goalpost and the try scored in the corner, and I had nothing to do with it. And they still come back and go by the letter of the law. I've stopped you from getting there. Come on. Common sense is going to prevail on the obstruction. Cause like, it's just gotta, it's just gotta.
S5: What about no consequences for the drop outs, boys?
S6: I hate.
S2: It. Yeah. That's that's a that's a bugbear. That's a bugbear. It's it's kind of just like a it makes you look. It makes our game looks sloppy. Yeah. You know, like they kick it as far as they want into the grandstand and nothing and no, no.
S6: No, I just I play the ball.
S5: Yeah. But Peggy, I'm with you. The seven tackle set, when you're attacking you get done for. But yet they can get tackled in their end goal. So they're actually like it's a defensive play for them. But they're getting no consequences when they're trying to do an attacking kick. I don't I don't see that one uh there as well guys. Righty oh this is a good one as well from Vinny who's currently the most underrated player in the game right now.
S6: Oh bloody hell.
S2: Well I kind of I equate uh underrated with improved as well. Uh, because I think that those, I think the white from roosters is one of them. Oh yeah. He's he's improved plus underrated. Yeah. And I think Nick arena from the Dolphins is so improved.
S6: Well I was about to say boss doc but he's playing for New South Wales now. Yeah but boss Doc's Sam Walker. Sammy Walker yeah. But he's on the on the. Yeah. Pinnacle now isn't he. He's at the pinnacle.
S5: What do you guys think of Jesse Calhoun from the sharks? Right? I think he's an enormous player.
S6: I'll tell you a story about Jesse Calhoun. His dad's a primary school principal that I had a little bit to do with a few years ago. Down our way down. But, um, I was coaching Fitz's son, Eamon, who's a great young footy player. I think he's at the Bulldogs now. Eamon. And um, I was talking to Fitzy after a trial and I said to him it was it was preseason probably two years ago I reckon. And um I said to him oh you know has anyone stood out for you. He goes, mate, you should see this kid, Jesse Calhoun.
S2: Okay.
S6: He goes and he goes and he goes, you should keep an eye on him. I'm like, oh, wow. I said, oh, who's he? Like? He goes, oh, like Dale Finucane style. Very true. And then.
S2: He is.
S6: Unfortunately for him, I think he's got his injury after injury.
S2: He did.
S6: Yeah. For two years and I never got to see him. And then now finally he's just coming back into the scene and I'm like oh, this is what he was talking about.
S2: Great player.
S6: Yeah.
S5: He runs a great line doesn't he? Yeah. Scores.
S2: Yeah. He's just wholehearted. You love a player who gives everything he's got.
S5: Uh. So who's yours? Who? Who was your one?
S6: Oh, look, I'm happy to agree with all yours.
S5: No, you've got one. You said, oh, you did two.
S6: Yeah. And I understand the white was. Yeah. He's great mate. Through the middle. He's that hard to handle now.
S5: I think Coachella this year as well for manly.
S2: Yeah. Yeah. He's got next level. He's definitely got next level.
S6: I need to look through the team.
S5: Sheets.
S6: Anyway.
S2: Yeah.
S5: Anyway, guys, let's move on.
S2: Maybe we should send the sister the night before our podcast so we can get the best.
S6: Yeah, yeah.
S5: Yeah. I like to keep things simple.
S2: Yeah, yeah.
S5: Just just telling you what time.
S2: We're.
S5: Up. I don't think you guys can manage anything else about spontaneous. Yes, it is from Hank. Guys, what do you consider the best single greatest state of origin moment of all time? Great question, Hank. I love it.
S2: I'm gonna go to. I'm gonna go one from New South Wales, which was, I think I called this game for triple M back in 2019. It was tedesco's. Uh, try at the at the end.
S6: I was on the sideline and I.
S2: I come I remember they remember they ran out from the.
S6: Yeah. From the where the walk is and that.
S2: And it was um, uh, it was, uh, NSA man from Metallica. I went.
S6: By captain and then, yeah.
S2: It was just. I got goosebumps thinking about it. Yeah. Mitch. Mitch Pearce, much maligned through the Passover.
S6: That's right. They shifted it.
S2: Virgo.
S5: Virgo.
S2: Back into Teddy. Right.
S5: Virgo. Through the worst pass back into Tedesco. But he seemed to hold it.
S2: And of course the other one is uh. That's what I try. That's a miracle from Queensland. That's that that that that was like 13 sets of hands.
S5: What a try.
S2: Them two I think are the best moments that I've seen.
S6: Yeah I loved milligrams fight. So did I. No one can go past m g I'm g.
S5: Question. Yes, I should have probably done my research before we did it. Your fight game was one of the first memories of Origin of Me was Michael O'Connor kicking the. Yeah. Was that the same game.
S6: Goal from the touchline?
S2: Yeah.
S5: Yeah.
S2: Same game with a leather ball in torrential rain. And I reckon the probability would have been around 15% 12, 12%. Um it was 12 all when he kicked that and he made it 14, 12 and I remember sitting in the dressing room after the game and I thought I played pretty well, and I'm there with my dad, and all these camera crew were coming towards me about, I reckon, 30 like reporters and camera crew, and they've come straight towards me. And I went, I said to my dad, I said, I think I've got man of the match. He goes, I don't think so. Yeah. Fucking boom. Bill woods, who was working here today, and he goes, how do you feel to be signed on six different occasions? I said.
S5: But what a game.
S6: What? They did it straight after the game. You got sided straight away and done hurriedly convened. Um like a meeting.
S2: The next day.
S5: Oh mate, they would have been onto him straight like, have you seen the carnage that.
S2: They wanted to put me in jail? Queenslanders, they said you should be in jail. That prick.
S5: Or I should get off. Absolutely.
S2: But I had a green light.
S5: The piggy. What a game that you're bringing up the fight and I'm bringing up the. The good thing that happened at the end, it's. It's my first ever memory.
S2: I used to hate playing in rain like. And the jerseys back then were down here.
S5: Yeah.
S2: Heavy. And so as soon as it rained, you feel like you had like someone piggybacking you and then the water on the ground. And yeah, but when I got the green light from the selectors, I didn't. It's amazing when you go into a game without any worries. Yeah. And that's how I ended that game in 91. I didn't have any worries about um fitness or, or going in a little bit over aggressive or overzealous because I knew I had the backing of the New South Wales selectors to do what I wanted to do. Yeah. And as soon as I done it, I got six week suspension and never played again.
S6: Oh bullshit. Oh my God.
S5: Never played again. No. Surprised you played NRL again after that. Oh yeah mate.
S2: I, um I settled down a lot after that.
S5: It was so good. Who ran it up at half time. Who was the, uh. I was.
S2: Steve Walters.
S5: Steve Walters. That's right.
S2: Yeah. Did a voluntary tackle. Yeah. Yeah.
S6: And then you went again. Rabbit, rabbit chop on the head.
S2: As you do.
S6: As you. Who was the referee. Manson. Yes. David Manson. Yeah, because he got up in between.
S2: He goes, Betty. Betty.
S6: Yeah.
S2: Say a word. Get him. He's got what? What? Benny! Set him down or he's going to set off and Benny goes m g. Settle down! Fucking hit him! Yeah.
S6: That was the one as well when that fight broke out. They didn't have anything to do with each other. But Benny, Elias and Walters ended up just punching.
S2: And Ricky Stuart punching into Gary Cohn, his team mate.
S6: It was two.
S2: Ian Robertson's going ballistic.
S6: Oh.
S2: Oh wow.
S6: I saw some highlights of Ian Robertson. He's he's hits back in the day.
S2: He was a machine.
S6: He's sickening the way that he he had some.
S2: Weird cement in there in the second row.
S6: That was a good one there. Thanks for that one, Hank. Uh, from John. Should the game bring back a five minute sin bin for minor professional fouls, or does the ten minute bin serve its purpose, boys?
S2: I love the five minute bin for the little things. I'd love to.
S6: I'd love to. Especially now. Okay, here's one for you. Start of the year, I said. We're $1 billion game. When we start bringing in rule changes, we need to put them in another grade, another level, so they get to see how they go.
S2: I remember you saying it.
S6: Why don't we? I don't understand why we don't do I like the idea of the five minute.
S2: But put it in.
S6: Put it in New South Wales Cup. Yeah. Put it in Queensland Cup. Yep. Watch it happen.
S2: For 12 months.
S6: And just go. Okay. Yeah. It works well for these infringements. Works great. You know only five minutes and then we can go yeah, let's put it in our game. I just see now, but I like it. I like it with m g. I think it's the speed of the game. Yeah. Five minutes. Now you can score two tries.
S2: Well well ten minutes you can. Well ten minutes seems too harsh for for a minor incident. Yeah. Ten minutes then it's. But then it's an interpretation. What's a minor incident. Yeah. Then then that's where you get the argue. You go well that's you know, but I definitely think for um professional fouls. Yeah. Five minutes.
S6: Yeah.
S2: For to start with. Yeah.
S6: And ten minutes would be for like hitting someone in the head. I don't know, I don't know. It would be something up for discussion. Like do you get rid of the ten minute because the game is so quick and just say, hey.
S2: Well there we.
S6: Go.
S2: See, Mark my words.
S6: Five minutes is a long time, isn't it?
S2: That's three sets. So you're defending three sets? Yeah, maybe.
S6: Yeah. Which.
S2: What about the trend lately of teams? Who gets, uh, someone who could soon be. They take two points. I don't understand that. When you've got. You're on the line. Happened twice on the weekend. I'm pretty sure. Yeah. Someone gets in and straight away you get you're taking a shot at goal when you're right on the line.
S6: It's amazing.
S2: The modern.
S6: Day. It's amazing how many teams are down one as well. And then they score. I find that that.
S2: Was at Penrith. Happened with Penrith. Did they?
S6: Yeah. It's like they get a bit complacent having 13 on the on the. That's the ultimate sin isn't it. To concede a try when you've got 13 there.
S2: Okay there we go. What's the the ultimate sin in rugby league. There's two of them kicking dead off the kick off putting the dead.
S6: Oh yeah.
S2: You just. Oh. Not finding touch.
S6: Oh.
S2: Oh. What about that.
S6: Oh and your kicker does that and you just you're going.
S2: It's alright do you fuckwit. That's the other one. No, you go off and give him a pat. Yeah. You're right. Kick your fucking ass off this game. My worst one. I've said this a hundred times and I'll say it a hundred more. Wingers go in for Carey. They drop the ball, the ball and then they'll run out of it. Going just one step. One step, one fucking. It's fucking all right for you. You're on the wing. You don't have to fucking tackle. I can tackle in there. Oh. These days. Okay. Yeah. Challenge it. No! Don't you fucking dare! Get on your wing! Challenges. That's true. As soon as you see a winger challenge, know it's all over. Know that challenge is. Don't be a bastard. Oh, that's the best one coming through. Come in for a hard carry and drop it. Yeah. And then challenge it and then say to everyone. Yeah. Only one. Yeah. You're on your fucking wing. I hate tackle, I hate it. I've got to make them all in here. I'm with you as well. Hate the pat on the back. Yeah. I prefer someone just to absolutely give it some. Yeah Yeah, that's the worst. Great question there. One from Sally here. Which current NRL club is sitting on the Premiership window that is rapidly slamming shut. Oh it's the sharks. It's got to be doesn't it. Oh well he's Penrith's. Oh did you hear about. Yeah I was, I was I was dumbfounded but I also agree with it because what do you think Liam Henry. They've got who've I got. Lindsay Smith. Okay. They've got. So these are the names of in 27 they've got Cleary, Joe Liotta, Martin blades. Taulagi, uh, Brian Tore Papalii, Mitch Kenny, Alan Modi and Billy Scott. John Finau, Tom ehl. So you've got to say the Cleary, Joe Martin and Kenny are priorities. Mhm. And unfortunately for some reason, like he's played he's played he's played 11 seasons. Moses saying to him, mate, thank you for your service. Go and get a bit of a payday to finish your career. That's what Matt Kim will be saying to him. And, and we've got Lindsay Smith. we've got Liam Henry. Did you say Liam? Liam. Henry's going to Perth. Oh, he's gone, is he? Right. So they're going to be a little bit light up front. Yeah. They'll find someone though, mate. Yeah I know. They always find something. But then the New South Wales premierships. But I tend to agree. I think I think what how can you say a club has won four out of six they've been in or the last six years that their window is closing. But I suppose in actual. When Ivan announced that he was leaving, that was when the window started to close. Yeah, that's a fair point too. Yeah. Do you guys.
S7: Think that, uh, Cleary will stay at Penrith? Who knows?
S2: Yeah, I honestly don't know.
S7: Don't worry about Leo. You've got guys that are coming off contract that are a lot like you know they've got that's probably.
S2: Why they're doing what they're doing because.
S7: They understand the situation.
S2: They're in.
S7: I just have a feeling Cleary is going to look for another challenge or something. I don't know. But just.
S2: Where.
S7: Where.
S2: I can't imagine, I can't imagine him playing.
S7: Now.
S2: They're talking about an $18 million salary cap now. So he's going to get they'll get paid well. He'll get two mil to mil to mil. He'll get two mil. Well, he's been offered two mil pounds to go to Warrington, has he. Yeah. What. Yeah. He's like he's just he he would he would he go. Well he'll play another three years if he if he's there. Yeah. That's what I mean. He's misses two. £2 million. That's what. That's 4 million. Yeah. That's what he's. That's probably what he's worth though to be honest. Well he's the best player in the world in the Super League. He is. Yeah yeah yeah. Warrington did that years ago with Joey. They did. Yeah. And he went over. At the time it was like uh for ten games, 120 grand or something like getting 12 grand a game. Yeah. And we all went, what? We're on two grand a game. Did you see.
S8: His first match over there as well?
S2: Oh, he was.
S8: Just like, just.
S2: On fire.
S8: Like nothing. I think he had.
S2: Him and him and his best was kind of just, um, so good to watch.
S8: That's another one as well. Is there for the, uh, 2005 origin when he got brought back, when.
S2: He came back.
S8: Like the club.
S2: Masterclass.
S8: It was.
S2: Just yeah.
S8: Yeah. Even in Newcastle we used to go because I lived on the Central Coast. Uh, where you went and finished your career?
S2: Yeah. Yeah.
S8: And we used to, uh, we used to travel to Newcastle just to watch the Johns Brothers, of course. Marathon stadium. It was just.
S2: That team in mid 90s was like we went there as the Western Reds. And it was just I because I've been there in the late 80s and I hadn't been back there for a few years. And I went, wow, look at this place. It's just the marathon stadium packed to the rafters and, and a really good rugby league team in their hands.
S8: So much fun. Yeah. Uh, last one, guys from Luke. If you had to assemble a four by 100 meter relay team using the absolute fastest players in rugby league history, who makes your four man squad? What a great question. Let's build it together. Okay. I'm going to nominate one. Yep. Saab. Yep. Jason. He's got to be in it by 100.
S2: Okay. In history.
S8: In history.
S2: Martin Offiah.
S8: Yeah well he was going to be one of my next ones, I reckon. Go for it. Uh, Darren. Albert. Shane. Wherrett.
S2: What about Darren.
S8: Clarke? Where it was so quick you didn't didn't shine where it beat Martin Offiah.
S2: What about Ryan?
S8: Ryan? Oh, that was him. Sorry. Ryan beat him in that sprint. Brett.
S2: Dallas. Wow.
S8: Yeah, they're my 4 or 5.
S2: So you'd have a fire up where it.
S8: Saab.
S2: Saab. And he represents modern day yeah.
S8: Darren. Darren Clarke.
S2: Darren Clarke. Well yeah he probably played 2 or 3.
S8: I know but he wasn't was he 100 or. I thought he was longer than.
S2: 400 I think Tigers. Yeah. So.
S8: Darren Clarke.
S2: Yeah.
S8: Mate. I go past Saab. Did we say where it where it.
S2: Odin. Ryan and a fire.
S8: Fire. Yeah that's a fair.
S2: Because remember Paris Stadium that time they had a race. Yeah. And Ryan beat him. Beat him. Mhm, mhm. So there you.
S8: Go. Any other. Is there anyone else? I'm trying. Well, the only reason I say Darren Albert is remember when he chased down Matty Sears? Yeah. Well.
S2: But the fox on his day.
S8: Yeah. The fox.
S2: The fox when he was at his best. Just brutal. Like Look, I'm.
S8: Just trying to think, who are some of the other. I reckon I reckon we've pretty much nailed it.
S2: Mullins was always fast. Brett Dallas was fast.
S8: Yeah, Dallas was lightning, wasn't he?
S2: Dallas was like, uh. But I think when you're talking high speed and.
S8: Four by 100 meter relay. Yeah, I reckon we've nailed. That's a really good one. I don't think we've nailed it.
S2: How many in the game now would score from their own line for an intercept like run the whole length. Oh there's there's not that many but.
S8: Kaan Perera.
S2: Oh he's great.
S8: Hammer.
S2: Yeah.
S8: Oh the hammer. He's got a he's got to be in the four. Yeah. I reckon he's got the hammer over. Yeah. But I reckon they've got maybe.
S2: Well you can have an on day one you have a modern day one.
S8: Yeah.
S2: You got, you got hammer.
S8: Looks like he's in second gear and he's just he's amazing isn't he.
S2: But he lives.
S8: Call me. Well I think it's pretty good there, guys. Rightio thanks for listening to this episode of Mark my words. For all your NRL news, follow the Continuous Call team wherever you watch or listen to your podcasts. It's your one stop shop for all the latest rugby league. Share with your mates and leave a review. You can also find us on YouTube and on Instagram. Just search the continuous call team and don't forget to leave us some questions or comments and we'll try and answer them the following week. Some great questions.
S9: Is not available.
S2: Mark Levy is not available.
S9: And it will be sent as an audio message.
S10: Hey Levy won. I was way better than you. I'll leave him alone, Mark my words. I don't need this. And you're not even here to answer the call. You're a grub levy. You're a troublemaker, mate.
S8: Thanks. I've got to do Saturday and Sunday this week as well. So thanks for that, piggy. We saw what happened to poor old James.
S10: James is still in the fetal position.
S8: In the fetal position? Yeah, yeah, he put him in his place, didn't he? You two were there.
S2: Oh, look at each other going.
S10: What? What?
S8: Hey, guys. Origin live from Suncorp Stadium. You guys are going to be doing a Mark My Words podcast straight after that for a reaction to the game. But until then, we'll see you on Wednesday for State of Origin. New South Wales up against Queensland Live from Suncorp Stadium.