Speaker 1: Nine Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's Norwegian. It's a Norwegian words for.
Speaker 1: That ball was So he's straight into row. Welcome to the Eddie and Jimmy podcast for our Dick Die Possible getting to your questions and comments. Emails with a question or issue. Remember solutions are always welcome here. Email Eddie and Jimmy at nine dot com dot au. All thanks to tab. As we mentioned in Monday's episode, Eddie has taken his big suitcase of suits for a nice summer holiday and I've got James.
Speaker 2: Heard with him going to be here.
Speaker 1: Jimmy, we better play it safe here because Ed does listen.
Speaker 2: Does listen? Don't give him too much stick.
Speaker 1: You know, I was shocked. Actually we had a nice litt lunch myself, Richard the producer, silly little boy as Eddie calls him, and Ed showed up and he wasn't in a suit and they completely ra.
Speaker 2: Really never was he in lounge wear or what?
Speaker 1: Was he? A beautiful chinail? He had a nice polo shirt. I didn't know what to do.
Speaker 2: Thongs and shorts.
Speaker 1: Did mcguigh own a pair of thongs?
Speaker 2: Maybe down the portsy beech chests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be a nice burk and stuff with mate sandal number big bucket. He's listening, you're encouraging me. Let's kick it off, of course with your questions. I remember Eddie and Jimmy at nine dot com. You heerdi off I this one you This is from aj another new stadium. Over the past decade, there have been huge investments in Paramatta CBD, including a new metro line, new light rail, Combank Stadium, the Powerhouse Museum, and too many new skyscrapers to count. When the Eels or the Western Sydney Wanderers play a home game, there are huge crowds of people wearing their jerseys walking down Church Street and it's a great advertisement for their code. Is it time for the AFL to seriously consider building a new stadium for the Giants closer to the Para CBD.
Speaker 2: A new stadium for the Giants, I mean that stadium. I don't mind this. Where the stadium is, I think it's served by public transport. I don't know Sydney that well, but it seems to be well too well served by public transport. Don't park your Carlo though, I've been stuck in that car park many a time and cannot get out. But I think Giant Stadium is a pretty good stadium, except for the fact they can't use it for the six weeks over that Easter Show period.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is the one issue. People will think Jesus's way out where. So it's actually the geographical center. And now that you've got the new tunnels, you can.
Speaker 2: Twenty five minutes in some suburbs in the morning. There you go.
Speaker 1: I think once you get there and you've spent a bit of time there coaching, I've spent a bit of time up on the board, it's pretty easy to get too.
Speaker 2: When I was coaching out there, I stayed at a hotel in Bondying and when you can use pick me up six fifteen outside the coffee shop and we'd have a coffee. But by the time we got there, we'd finished our first coffee and we're rolling into the stadium. So it was a pretty good place to go.
Speaker 1: I know, we're getting a little bit sidetracked because Peter's question regarding the Stadium of Tasmania, so it might pick it up as well. And this is just my two cents worth. And you've traveled the world and you've seen soccer, basketball, other sports, and I'm grabbing the team Tazzy as well. With this, we've probably got to start looking at public and private investment and funding regarding stadium So I think we tend to still look from a lens of we just need to build a stadium for the sport, and you're always going to get objections and using the Tazzy example, why would we spend close to the two bon dollars for eight games a year because you obviously still want to play some games up North endram Loney. Where the world has moved in the last ten fifteen years, especially in the States and of course in the UK, is you're building a precinct and you bring private funding in so they still could see the business case for it the commercial aspect. But then you're not just building a stadium. You're building is there a university?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 1: Is there restaurants? Is their bars? Is their housing? You're revitalizing an area like so far stadium in La. You look at the Clippers stadium over there, they're revitalizing areas. The Lakers Stadium that was revitalizing downtown La. Tottenham Hotspurs their new setup. I always was curious that that wasn't the very first approach from the stadium down at mac point there is how do you get the University of Tasmany to come out of Sandy Bay, which is in a fantastic spot there, but how do you get them in? They've got housing issues, they've got hospital issues. This is all from them.
Speaker 2: This is not my maty.
Speaker 1: This is often the rebuttle of why we're spending so much on the stadium, like how many issues can you potentially solve and using the stadium as the jewel in the crown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's no doubt you need it. I mean you even look at the MC do the great stadium we have. I mean it's empty on a dale like today except for two blokes talking rubbish in on a podcast. You know, there's a couple of tours. But how do these new stadiums put in new areas? How do you make them? It's not just about the commercial side of things on match day, it's how do you use them seven days a week, twelve hours a day so that the private enterprise wants to spend money and wants to be involved and you're not taking away from the public purse because you look at as getting a bit more macro the debt around the world and what governments of the government debt. At the moment, I can understand why tas managers, you go, we need the hospitals, we need schools. But how do you make that stadium pay for itself and encourage private investment? And take this one step further. It's not just for stadiums, it's for public public rounds too. So if you're building a public football ground, you know, in the middle of Geelong, how do you make it. How do you get money from the private sector because they can make money out of as well, not just putting public money in.
Speaker 1: It draws people to the area, so it does the ground becomes the lighthouse like the drawing in aspect. And I remember as part of my university studies it was one of the topics and it was looking at the gentleman who actually built the Miami Heat stadium and hew, you keep banging his head up against the wall. Why can't I ever get approval for a basketball statment? He was naturally a big Miami Heat fan and he was one of the first to go, well, we need public and private funding, so just use the number ten. And so the local government he goes, if I went and presented a basketball stadium to ten. I'm going to have the three basketball fans go yes, and then you're going to have some go well, what will benefit me the most? Yeah, I might have yeah, come along with basketball. But he goes, so, I've already got those three to four convinced, But how do I turn the other six? And as soon as he realized, well, if I'm presenting an area there's a basketball stadium in it, he goes, massive, big arts precinct. Well, then you've got the person who's involved in arts and music and that cultural people. They're oh, okay, I'm going to get something out of it. Personally said well, we need money for hospitals, well, sports and hospitals and setups Olympic Park precinct over the road, Like, how does that get brought in down to Macquarie Point? You can there be apartment living nearby? Can we Oh, we've got a public transport issue? Can that be actually the end stop in a bigger rail play. I know it's spending more, and everyone's says, well, we've got no money, but not spending anything doesn't generate money either.
Speaker 2: But I think it's the way you look at the stadium too. We all have the stadium is looking onto the fields, but it's the way the stardium looking outly into the community and how can that be used? And that's why the roof discussion does come in because if something does have a roof, it can be used inside of the communise for not just the for a game of soccer. Again in football, and if the bernabout is a classic example over in Spain, they built it where they could actually take out the floor, put in a swimming pool, put it in a concert, put it in a basketball court, put it in a tennis court. That's just for the that's just for the sport. Is a roof there, But then how does that startium look out onto the community? So every day it communes for medical imaging, it can use for university, it can use for different things. And I think you're exactly right. The way stadiums are viewed around the world is a lot different to what they were ten years ago.
Speaker 1: And that's a bit of Peter's point. He's gone down a different path. Should be AFL or Tasmania do a crowdfund for the Tasmania Stadium. That means mum's dads and businesses could all own shares of the stadium.
Speaker 2: Well, they could, but it wouldn't work at the moment because you wouldn't get any money back. And if you if you've only got what you're saying, eight games and maybe ten concerts, it's not going to be able to pay for itself. The stadium, in my view, needs to have somewhere around thirty forty events happening. How do you encourage for thirty or forty events, not just football? But then also to your point, how does the university get involved, How does the hospital get involved, How does the medical imaging get involved, How do people come there every day? And how has that startum generate revenue? If and I'm speaking without knowing amunt of knowledge, but if the Tasmanian government was presented with a private partner, who's going to stump up half the money, but they need to take half the revenue back, you know, over a thirty year period. Similar the way they built the toll roads. I mean the toill roads are a crossing example. Yes, they were built by the they were built by the government, but then you know, the link come in and they say, well, we're going to own the thing and we'll add the funding, but we want a lot of the revenue to come out of it.
Speaker 1: I'd still watch this space of course down in Tazzy and then it's a great suggestion by aj and where he was going regarding that Paramount Stadium is fantastic and it just draws people into the area. Scott down to nine. You and I were doing a bit of our ladder predictor last night. We're going down a deep dark hole there as well.
Speaker 2: You dragged me out pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: You can do your heading now. That's assuming that we can tip Creckly as well. We never get nine out of nine, Scott said, could be a hot take, but I feel like there are only nine teams left in the finals race. My evidence for this is the remaining games for the sides currently one to nine. The only silver aligning excitement was is I think you'll need fifteen wins to be clearly in eighth, so there could still be heaps of movement between those nine sides. We put the number at thirteen, as Hodo would say, thirteen gets there, fourteen you're a lock for thirteen and reasonable percentage you're pretty safe.
Speaker 2: Well the Bulldogs blogs ninth. Yeah, so it's Bulldogs, Bulldogs, Frio Giants and.
Speaker 1: Who the Giants and Hawn Hawthorn or above.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so basically Sons Sons, that's right. Yeah, those four into the last three spots. That's what we sort of come up with you, So one's got.
Speaker 1: To miss, yeah, and we look forward to their fixture. The Dogs have got a as far as ground location, a nice run because they play a lot of their games at Marvel. The Giants were the one where we just don't know, well, yeah, we can't get a read them. They go down and they roll the cats at gm hbut and the lines at the Gabatore and then they dropped one in Canberra to Port Adelaide, who were just going at that stage. They're probably the most difficult and probably got the one where you can't tip with any sort of certainty going forward. But the Sons have got a bit of a tricky running as well.
Speaker 2: If then missed, they've got the extra game and don't forget Tom Morris would fall off. If the miss they've got.
Speaker 1: That extra game which actually could become important, which the AFL have been dreaming about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they were hoping hopefully that's not a dead Rubber, but that could be.
Speaker 2: I think it will be. It will be like we'll definitely life if not for the eight, for the positions in the eight and who gets the home final.
Speaker 1: I think it is down to nine because that leads so Cart Melbourne, Sydney Porter.
Speaker 2: In that next group, the Bombers.
Speaker 1: Bombers are in there, bombers, but a lot of those sides have to win close to seven of their last name nine to ten.
Speaker 2: The Bombs played eleven. Yeah, it'll it'll be interesting.
Speaker 1: Who do you think out the out of the four that we mentioned. I think the Giants are the hardest.
Speaker 2: The Giants. The Giants if they continue the inconsistency the one for me, he'll miss out. But the Sons still haven't done it. They still haven't done it. That's the that's the heart. But the way they're playing, it's very hard to see them missing out.
Speaker 1: Feels up next Lucky Phil manufactured a Should umpires adjudicate manufactured head high tackle when players deliberately lower their legs the same couper it's around again on Friday Night and got away with paid free kicks? Should the umpires be allowed to call play on it's a tough one because it's a tough one. I think if a player deliberately duckts their head and literally drops their shoulder or lifts the arm or whatever, it's the umpire's getting a lot smarter.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the work we do a port Melbourne. The moment was she telling players not to tackle sometimes just to go and pretend to tackle. The player will fall over. Give an instruction. If you go and he starts to do it, just back off a bit and watching fall over. And it does. They fall over because you give away so many heads. We gave away thirteen head of high tackles one week. Just made you furious.
Speaker 1: Boys, Come on Martine on Friday night, I started laughing. He started, Actually he should do away with trying to milk the free because he actually starts fast too early. Now he actually starts picking the ball up and he's like looking for someone to like hook on Mark, you've got away from the tackle you first, and then lift the.
Speaker 2: One where they actually pick up the ball and run of the player and bang their head into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they drive into it a little bit off. That is players who grab their head after being tackled. Now I'm not saying it didn't hurt and all that. But we spoke about this early in the week regarding concussion. If you're grabbing your head and you're staying down, you can't look up and then play for the next ten to fifteen minutes. Isn't that the signs that we want from the ark who's watching.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought, if someone grabs their head, you're off, son, you off and get the test. Yeah, they'll stop it pretty quickly if they spend twenty minutes on the bench because we're seeing a bit of that creep in. I saw one from a Jeae Loong player a couple of weeks ago. Name him.
Speaker 1: Come on, he does it again.
Speaker 2: But it's the thing we hate about soccer. But he did that.
Speaker 1: After I've got the threat him.
Speaker 2: Brave Jimmy, one more chances. But it's what we hate about soccer. Guys fall over and they do it deliberately, roll around so the I'll give a yellow card, give a yellow card. We don't want that coming to a game. If a player goes to the ground, holds his head, right, you're off twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: We're trading it serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're training it seriously. They won't do it unless he's.
Speaker 1: Walking around going I can't hold my head.
Speaker 2: He's legitimately hurt.
Speaker 1: He should come off. Yes, yeah, I'm with you on that one. Thanks for that, Phil Jacob. Not fifteen. I was at the Ruse Pie's game the other week, Go Ruse. I'm sure that's not a man called Luca, and I couldn't help but be reminded that not one person could be expected to hear not fifteen next to the boundary. Waiting for the whistle to not blow when you expect to be called from Mark just feels indecisive. Surely the AFL implements a signal, say blow the whistle two times to ensure that the player now's right away, that there is no and there's no confusion.
Speaker 2: No, sorry, I just like Juris Luca wasn't.
Speaker 1: No, it's actually dragable.
Speaker 2: No, I don't. May be disrespectful to blow the whistle at anytime. As soon as you blow whistle, whether it's one to us, everyone stops, so you can't blow it.
Speaker 1: Learn pretty quickly as soon as you say the umpires are actually before the balls arriving. If you listening when it comes through on the broadcast, a fifteen player.
Speaker 2: And you can you can actually hear Empires out in the ground and Grand fil and they maybe not a few of those bigger games, but most of the time you can. But what would be a classic that is to get the interpretation of the rules during the finals and then just go back and replay the interpretation of the rules about now and see if they change differently. I just think there's a bit more leoan in the finals as they should be.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm with you, Hey, we always want to hear from you. Send your questions email Eddie and Jimmy at nine dot com dot you and get involved and comment on YouTube. Joel Jumper sponsors. What would it take for a sponsor on a guernsey or a Jumper to have their colors integrated with team colors. I'm a pis man and appreciate having big sponsors in Emirates and Cavs see, but the color red has no play on our guernsey. Sure it's not ed we have a great design for our one hundred and twenty fifth anniversary where Emirates and cgu were in black and white or so? Why is the above number sponsors still there? It was broored in during Covidale, bringing money, but the COVID ship has long sail time to get rid of it and bring in players names instead.
Speaker 2: And tell you why it's in a different color so you can see that it stands out correct exactly. And they pay a lot of money and unfortunately they like sponsors or not. They pay for the players and they pay for facilities, and yeah, I wish there was less sponsors on a jumper, but that's the reality where we're at.
Speaker 1: We're not We're not NASCAR like, they're pretty small.
Speaker 2: They're pretty small. There's getting more and more though, but you understand why the sponsors need. But there is a point where having too many logos. Probably remember the old billboards, a back of coaches, all the coaches that would have remember Mark Williams had a wearing shirt yeah college shirt. Yeah, anyway, that wasn't a look.
Speaker 1: I liked players names on the back of the jumper. I don't know whether it's still the case. There was an issue around licensing because technic, Cliff, your name is on it, you own that. A bit of a licensing around.
Speaker 2: Does that work in the US.
Speaker 1: Well, the players get a cut. That's why they say the biggest selling basketball top or NFL Jersey all that sort of stuff baseball. But then there's some teams and clubs. I know obviously the New York Thanks. You never have your name across it, right, okay, because you're just a custodian of that uniform.
Speaker 2: I actually like that view that your number or the number you're wearing is just passed down from the person to person. The person you don't know that jumper. And one of the things that was said to me very along by Terry Downer, who I got to Westerners. You know the fans own this club or the supporters, and say fans the supporters own this club as their club. You're just here for a period of time and do the best you possibly can to perform in front of them and for them, because that's who owns the club. Yep.
Speaker 1: And I'll be the same. My number three, I don't feel like I own it. I've just been I'm just part of the number three club within it in the club at Geelong and your former a bond with all the other number threes. Fred Willer was the first to kick that off. He's the nineteen sixty three premiership captain of Gelong war number three and the day I got given number three. I got a lovely letter from him and welcome to the mini club there at Geelong and kept in contact since. And Brandon Parferd who won a premiership, and then the Dave Bailey Smith got number three. We all see him a message and welcoming to the number three clubs. So yeah, I'm with you. You're there for a period of time, you do your best for the jump around that number and then you pass it on. You don't know. I don't know whether that helped you or not. Joel slash ed Jake. With the additions of GWS Gold Coast and soon to be twenty teams, I'm not sure about twenty just yet.
Speaker 2: Jake.
Speaker 1: Has the AFL spread itself too thin with the talent?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I think that there's enough talent out there and it encourages the game. And it's more it's more to me, is there too much football on TV? Is there is there too much for the supporter basis? But yeah, I don't think it spreads. The talent is less concentrated that it was back in the day. But players are more talented now than they were in my day. There's more better players now they were in my day. The good thing is, and this is not a pro academy's thing. I'm just stating the facts. We're just going to see in this draft, and we've seen the last couple of drafts. The good thing for an AFL perspective and point of view is we're getting talent from broader Australia. More so until the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: We're being a national game, and we proudly promote we're a national game, but we're only a national game where the team plays its home games, not actually where the talent pool has been from. So if you go back five or six years, you're probably you're getting sixty I'm going to say sixty five seventy percent from here from Victoria and of course then South Australia WA, and then you'd have a smattering from Tazzy the old kid from New southlas and Queensland. The good thing for the game is the growth is the fact that yes a game, we'll have a there's a broader discussion around academies and things like that, but they're providing players.
Speaker 2: That's what the criticism of the Gold Coast Academy I think is short sighted. I think it's it's created, exactly your point, a broader pool of talent that we weren't drawing from before.
Speaker 1: Edward from Norway, Frosty boy up there, out of bounds. It's time we had a proper abbreviation for the long winded out of bounds on the full. My suggestion is, how would you say that? Get you get your glasses on in the bold That's what he once said, aggrediated it.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's Norwegian. It's a Norwegian words out of bounds in the phon.
Speaker 1: We dropped the t freeze. I don't think there's much ease that ball was. So he's straight into.
Speaker 2: I haven't mean it. I have been in Norway, but in Iceland. I was there, and when twenty it was daylight twenty four hours a day, I think he wrote that one was darkness twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 1: You got a bit of time, Edward. We love the fact that you're listening from Norway. I'll pass it on to Tom Harley and Greg Swan and see iff takes off. You know why he's provided us with a solution.
Speaker 2: He hasn't. I like that like that to show.
Speaker 1: Tonight on.
Speaker 2: I didn't think that's about to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Kevin Calvin a feature feature Top ten tonight on as we are head to a break on a Wolf, proudly brought to you by tab.
Speaker 2: Edward.
Speaker 1: Keep them coming in, we loved them. George. Monetary rewards Gash. I'm not sure if there's this has been done before. Do we have prize money in the finals? Does the Grand Final winner and run run up receive money. I'd like to see this go further.
Speaker 2: Eg.
Speaker 1: Grand Final winner two million dollars, run up one million, third down to eighth scale prize money add heaps of excitement. There has been prize money for quite a while. It's divided normally by the amount between the players and how many games you played. If you played every game. By the time it gets divvied up and everyone takes their cut, there's not much.
Speaker 2: No, there wasn't it. That's not a gripe it in our day, wasn't the Night series the night series and used to get half the half you won the Night Series? Or was the Nab Cup or the Anset cut back? Then half a go it was a footy trip and half ago to the Club's a couple of very good foot trips.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I know, I think when we won one year, you couldn't actually financially reward the players, but you could spend it on the players, and that's when we went and got the chef three year, the famous down in Geelong. Really yeah, we're like, oh, hang on, what would be great for us is having a nice cook lunch and we just.
Speaker 2: Spend it on. It's a difference twenty years. We spent on a footy trip but of course of four days and you spent on a chef for a years.
Speaker 1: Some days we wish it was to have a few more pots, but we did the smart or the wise thing and spending and the good health eat meals.
Speaker 2: But isn't there isn't there a prize man now for the amalgamation of the premiership the top and if w isn't there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah there is, but I think it's still gets. I think it still gets split up across the whole entire club. And it might help you put in an extra treadmill, or we can't spend all the players because there's implications there. There was another showdown. Thanks for joining me this week. Eddie's putting the sunscreen on.
Speaker 2: It hasn't reached out in sectors yet so I'm going to give.
Speaker 1: Him another two days before he does, so we better enjoy it while we can. Now follow Eddie and Jimmy wherever you get your podcast. Oh thanks to tab watch us on nine now and YouTube and email us anytime Eddie and Jimmy at nine dot com, dot you. Thanks Herdie, Thanks Man,