Speaker 1: This onto GB four, BC and network stations. This is Wake Up Ostrodia with Pill O'Neill.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Here we are crawling on our hands and knees wrapped around at Doner towards the weekend. Certainly need it. In Sydney this morning six degrees as I ventured the four feels like three degrees, although Wayne in castle Hill said, Phil, it's minus two in Gunda guy right now, so it would feel even colder. Here we are Thursday morning, nineteenth of June, and it is seven minutes past four. Luke Bona's going to join us in half now. He's been on holiday. It's the Boner Report. He'll take your calls. He's got some interesting things to talk about. Lots to get to before we get in that direction. Let's how I look at the front page of the newspapers, and on the front page of most of the papers it's the Victorious Blues as well. Oh oing, and sorry I've got the wrong paper there. It is Victorious Queensland. So that's the update here, hammer blow for the Brave Blues, New South Wales and Queensland all square in the state of origin. But there's a nice couple of photos of the Blues, although looking quite dejected. No, it's all about Queensland, isn't it really? The big survivors. The front page of the Australian have the Queensland victorious players on the front there and some news about what's going on with Jim Charmers in his moment of truth. This story in The Australian. Jim Charmers has declared tax reforms is needed and will be needed to fund growing spending on defense and the care economy, while warning that the traditional revenue streams will be threatened by the net zero transmission as he left the door open to raising the GST, increasing levees on resources and charging electric car drivers for using the roads. Front page of the Australia front page, Sidney Morning Herald. So there's more Game two of the State of Origin hammer Blow to the Brave Blues Queensland twenty six, New South Wales twenty four. Well it's a good game though, wasn't it close? One of the best origin games I think for a while. And also on the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald this story that the US President Donald Trump has demanded unconditional surrender from Iran as it conflicts continue with Israel, and that escalates and tensions grow within the Republican Party about whether the world's most powerful military should become directly involved and yet another Middle East theater of war. Trump Camp split over of Ryan's the headline there front page of the Age in Melbourne. Well, there's nothing there about the state of origin. It's all about the return of the Big v That's what you can find there from the sports contribution to the world and to Australia from the and the story is about the Patterson isolated and worried lawyer story. This is about Aaron Patterson. It wasn't scrambling around in the bush looking for killer mushrooms. She wasn't a cold blooded killer. She was instead an isolated warrior trying to gain love and attention. That's the picture defense barrister Colin mandy Ssi painted of his client yesterday as he urged the Supreme Court jury to put themselves in her shoes as they consider whether Patterson is guilty or not guilty of murder. That's the Age for your camera times. This is a story about the Director of Public Prosecution saying she remains extremely concerned about her office being underfunded with extra money for another Witness Assistance Service officer, and that wouldn't meet the current demand. That's the DPP's budget warning. But also on the front page of the Camera Times the photo of the awful street signs and they look pretty terrible. So roads signs that steer visitors around our city, but they're creating an appalling first impression. Tourism leaders say, and I don't know if this photo of the street sign in Camera has been doctored or aied at all. I don't think it has. But bloody ell, it's in a state. If you live in Camera really want to fix up your street signs because they look terrible. Can't imagine what condition the roads are. In Financial Review Treasurer Jim Chalmers has pledged to lead an overhaul of Australia's tax system that will include lower income taxes but no changes to the GST, as he admits taxes overall would probably need to rise to repair the budget. There's your Financial Review and the front page of the Courier Mail. Oh the Queensland did win really couldn't get that picture a bigger On the front page of the Courier Mail. Maroon's triumph in Origin classic. Well done to our listeners listening in through four BC. Peter Figan will be crying on about that big time. This morning from five to thirty, Queensland kept the State of Origin series alive, holding off a fast finishing New South Wales side to triumph twenty six to twenty four in Perth. Cameron Munster, in his first match as captain, inspired the Maroons to a famous victory. And that was a big victory too as well earned. But boy it was a good match, wasn't What a great call from Levy on the Continuous Call team that would have to go down as possibly one of the best origins of all time and keeping, as they say, Queensland keeping the State of Origin series live one one. What will happen next? Yeah, it's going to come down to a terrific cliffhanger, just the way you like your footy, all right. Thirteen minutes past four. Ben Fordham here at five point thirty this morning on two GB Sydney, followed by the great Man of the Continuous Call who never gets any sleep And I'd like to know how much Emity sooth as he takes to keep himself a float too. That'll be Mike Levy on the way this morning on two GB from night. Next up, though, we go to Tel Aviv Lisa Sangalov, who's an Australian and she lives in Israel, and what's her day to day life like and what's the situation from her back window. We'll get to her next and it is sixteen minutes past four. I'm fella il ben Fordham here this morning at five point thirty. Let's go to near tel Aviv. Lisa Segalov's on the phone. I'd say near tel Aviv because I'm not sure exactly where abouts you are. Where are you, Lisa, Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 4: I live about thirty kilometers north of Tel Aviv in a city called Hotta Sharon.
Speaker 3: Right, what's the situation like there? Now, I'm late to believe that you were down in a bunker before when the sirens went off. You're back up up above that.
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, there were about about an hour and a half ago there was notice that there were submissal headed our way, and we get a notice of now ten minute warning that comes on your phone. It's called an emergency alert, and that tells you you've got ten minutes to race into the shelter, and ninety seconds before the missiles are about to hit, there's a siren, so you have to be in the shelter by then close the door and just sit and then you can hear all the booms going off. And usually I have to wait about twenty minutes after that until you get another message on your phone that you can go out.
Speaker 3: And so what kind of bunker is it a communal bunker? Is it one that's set up near you, or is it your own one?
Speaker 4: Well, because the house is built after nineteen ninety two, we have our own safe room, what you call a bunker. So we are very lucky. About half of Israel has a bunker, and the other half then either use public bunkers or they at the bottom of the building an apartment building, they will have ones under the ground. But what's happened to people that don't have adequate shelters is that they've taken underground car parks and set up mattresses for people and provisions so people can have snacks when they're there. So people will come, say at the first siren, which happened an hour ago, and they'll come with their family and just spend the whole night there and wake up in the morning and then go back home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've noticed that. Yeah, I saw some photos of that that that quite a few families do go down to those underground car parks as well. And how does that work? Do you get a situation where it becomes almost too crowded?
Speaker 4: No, because they're massive, right, and they're everywhere. So they cleared out a lot of underground car parks and they're massive. They've killed it up the light rail stations to underground so people can sleep there as well. People have opened up, you know, their houses to other people in Tel Aviv. Sometimes they'll write on the pavement outside, you know, please, you're welcome to come. If you're walking by and there's a siren, come down and be with us. And that's just how it is at the moment.
Speaker 3: And so how used to the sirens going off? Has life become now where you are? I mean, it's just because it's happening a lot. Is there still a sense of trepidation that this is going to happen? Or has it become just as I said, a sort of a day to day event.
Speaker 4: Well, we're six days into this war and it's very surreal. Everything has closed down. There's no schools, there's no government officers working. You're not allowed to go and work in your office, even if you have a safer Places of entertainment are closed. Beaches are clothes, public swimming pool the clothes. So there's not very much to do, and only essential services are running and only supermarkets are open. So that that sort of adds to the atmosphere of where we are. So I don't think you ever get used to it. When you're in the shelter, the booms that come are very very loud. You're in a concrete bunker and you can hear these booms above you.
Speaker 2: It's scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, of course, is there a sense of course that you know the situation there might escalate or you just is everybody just taking it one moment at the time.
Speaker 4: I think we're just living from one siren to the next at the moment and trying and hoping that there's not a lot of damage and there's no more loss of life from outside. And I don't think that we're really worried, you know, about what will be. We've just got to keep going. It's the emergency regulations have been set to take to be enforced until the thirtieth of June, so that's still two weeks away, and we're just updated, you know, as it happens.
Speaker 3: And so how good is the media information that you're getting? Is it really clear? Is it really precise? Do you have a really good idea or a good feeling that you know exactly what's going on.
Speaker 4: In terms of what's happening here we're the missile landing and what's happening, yes, for sure, and the media on top of it you understand. Actually you know if something is close to you, then you know it's fallen near you or it's been intercepted near you. What's happening over in Iran? And we're getting reports of what is happening, what the results are of attacks, how they're doing it, and why it's happening, and what the target is and what the next target is that we won't know. That's all military planning.
Speaker 3: How are things like supplies in supermarkets and things like that. Do you run short of supplies?
Speaker 4: At first there was a shortage of milk, what went with milk, bread and toilet paper, but they restocked pretty quickly and no, it's people bought what they had to buy, and they know that supermarkets will be open. That's an essential service. So there's no real panic now about anything.
Speaker 3: But how do you have some sense of normality because and especially at the moment too, because I mean this area also has a history of course, where there's always something going on that could, you know, turn into a complete disaster. How do you keep a sense of normality on a day to day.
Speaker 4: Basis, Well, you don't really if you've been up three or four times during the night. The other night there was a missile at eight o'clock, twelve o'clock, at two thirty, and five thirty, so you basically didn't sleep at night. And for families with little kids, they're just putting their kids in the concrete bunker, whether it's a private one or a public one. And the kids that's trying to sleep through the night. But the adults they're up and down, they're looking after their kids. And so there's really not any normality in what what's happening. If you really and if you stop to think about it, what's happening, you just get caught up with it and it's a bit too scary. So you've just got to go with the flow and just keep on going, try and do a little bit of work here and there, Try and do a little bit of exercise here and there, and time passes.
Speaker 3: And how do you explain to the kids what's going on? Do they have you know? Do you try and protect them from as much information as possible or have you found that most people have tried to be honest with the kids.
Speaker 4: No, I think most people are very honest with the kids. Yeah, we're only sixteens into this war, but we've been in bomb shelters in and out for the last twenty months. I must say that these last few days are more of them, and the booms allowed that, and so it's a bit scarier. Most kids are sleep through the night, so they won't hear that. But really, with social media and media today, really kids, except for very little kids, they sort of know what's going on.
Speaker 3: And can I ask how old your kids are? How many you have?
Speaker 4: Well, I've got four kids, and my oldest is my oldest is twenty nine, and my youngest is twenty and my youngest is still serving her compulsory military service in the Israeli Army and the others are in reserve duty. But at the moment, they're not haven't been called up, right of course.
Speaker 3: And obviously that's something that you're concerned about all the time as well.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's correct, That is correct. There are a lot of people that have been called up, a lot of my relatives, my family that lived here, Nitha's nephew's cousins, and so we're all in contact. We're actually all in contact. Every time there's a siren, we check on each other and we just coined there by day, hour by hour.
Speaker 3: At the moment, all right, Well, our thoughts are with you, and our hearts are with you as well, Lisa, because I mean it must be none of us can really get obviously a proper comprehension of what life must be like for you on a day to day basis. So our thoughts are with you and all the best. Thank you so much, Lisa, Thank you very much. That's Lisa there near tell Tell tel Aviv, who obviously, as we've found out, I mean, like you know, it's it's surreal, and it's it's impossible for us in the life that we have, the day to day lives that we have, to we even imagine ourselves in that situation and how we would deal with it, and especially too if you had kids, you know what you would tell kids. I mean, we really are again, it just reinforces how lucky we are to live in the country that we live, don't you think. Twenty seven minutes past four Okay, let's get to the news after this. Got your sports update as well, and then we will get to Luke Boner with the Boner Report where it is four point thirty morning Meck from Winston Hills. Thank you for your text, and also Chris who just sent me a text there through as well, and Matt got your one too. Phil, you have me questioning myself. I always pronounce maroons Maron's and then you say maroons. Let's call the whole thing off, says Maddie. Well, you're absolutely right. We should get you know, I should get that, absolutely right you would think. However, you know, still going with the blues and still got the blues for you, my friend. Let's get the news update.
Speaker 1: And now on Wake Up Australia News today.
Speaker 3: Starting in Sydney two GB Dusty Fitzpatrick, Morning to you, my friend. What have we got going on?
Speaker 5: Phil? Good morning to you. This year's State of Origin series has been sent to a designer, with Queensland securing victory. In Perth, the Marons edged out the Blues twenty six points to twenty four. Donald Trump hasn't ruled out the United States joining Israeli strikes on Iran. The President told reporters he may do it, he may not do it. Iran and Israel continue to trade strikes and firefighters working to contain a blaze at a factory in Sydney's Inner West. Sixteen fire trucks are on the scene at Marrickville and phil There'll be more news at the top of the hour.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Now, let's go from two GB Sydney to three AW in Melbourne, Jordan Tunbridge, Morning Jordan. What have you got for us? Mate?
Speaker 6: Good morning? Making news in Melbourne. The driver of a stolen white SUV who drove its speed inside Melbourne's Northland Shopping Center remains on the run. The center was placed into lockdown as the land Cruiser crashed through bollards and into the center. Miraculously, no one has been seriously injured, with paramedics treating two people at the scene. The defense barrister for accused mushroom killer Aaron Patterson has told her triple murder trial his clients might be a liar, but he is not a killer. As he continues his closing address, Colin Mandy sc has told the court he's more material to get through. This dress should be completed sometime this morning. We've had an earthquake down here at two point nine magnitude tremor at Rawson near to Raugen yesterday. No reports have damage since then, and the home of Melbourne's beloved skipping Girl has undergone a multimillion dollar makeover. The Neon lit figure the inner city suburb of Abbotsford has been a fixture here for nearly ninety years. That's what's making news in Melbourne.
Speaker 3: Thank you Jordan Tunbridge, who I did call Junden there a moment ago, so I do apologize, although Jane from Brisbane I'm sure now known as Jill from Brisbane will be able to ring me up in just a moment and tell me off for my pronunciation.
Speaker 1: A sports update thanks to west End Motor Group incorporating Paramatta and Blacktown Master, two great Master dealerships saying great people, saying great service seven days a week.
Speaker 3: ZI rock band wolf Mother took to the stage ahead of the State of Origin Game two with their two thousand and six hit Joker and the Thief. I thought it was quite good, but the performance failed to fire up the crowd. Despite their global fan base, the band's effort, led by the frontman Andrew Stockdale, was met with more groans than cheers. You just wouldn't take the gig, would you. I think that's the kind of job. It's a little bit like being the leader of the Liberal Party or the captain of the Australian cricket team. Why would you want to go out there unless you're going to really knock it out out of the ground, which I thought wolf Mother would do to be honest. But anyway, social media led up with a whole bunch of criticism NRL stuck in a time warp, one viewer tweeted, another one went I hope wolf Mother didn't cost anything. Some fans described it as dead set awful and joked that everybody cheered when it was over. Well, I disagree. I thought it was actually a really good performance by wolf Mother. You might want to disagree or agree on the text zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. Few people defended the performance as brief, but it was enjoyable. Speaking about enjoyable, nothing like the big coll last night from the continue you was call team. Once again, Levy also smashed him out of the past.
Speaker 1: State of Origin twenty twenty five, Game two from OPTAs Stadium, Perth.
Speaker 7: There's the whistle underway robson.
Speaker 8: He goes away to clearing looking for runners, gives the pass on the blue eye. Who ain't gonna put a little kick trow But he's a move bysa there bo time he got that tried kidding a way to Toyer. Turn on the outside of the hammer scars. Why are they gonna go in outside? The Queenslanders HAMERSA tam you iver? Now it's six four you sound well? I was leading Queenslander. Wait a dead and a cruftfield kick leaping into the air. Hemisaf tam you idad?
Speaker 9: Want to try me?
Speaker 10: That is unbelievable. He left the bot plug a whist comes dangle plug.
Speaker 1: A free man dugger.
Speaker 10: Then he plans to violence got the try.
Speaker 3: Oh beautiful, what a call great man? Levy once again, as I said, knocks it out of the park. I should get Boner's response on that. We'll get him up.
Speaker 1: Now on Wake Up Australia each time for the.
Speaker 3: How are you my friend?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Look, I've done a lot in radio, but calling football is at one of them. I know my limitations and don't you dare go there. I shan't be doing that. As the Big Man would say.
Speaker 3: Oh lads, Clint Eastwood would say, a man's got to know his limitations.
Speaker 10: What's going on? What we have here is a failure to communicates exactly.
Speaker 3: It's a different one. That was Paul Newman. So you've just had your daughter get married. You had a nice little so journ. We enjoyed your escapades on the Instagram, so I hope that was enjoyable for you.
Speaker 11: It was a great day and it was terrible weather all day and then about an hour before the ceremony, the skies opened and the blue sky came out. It was just a really good day of family and friends getting together. She's married a beautiful boy. I love him to death. And so there you are one down, one to.
Speaker 3: Go, all right, Not that you're counting. What do you want to talk about this week?
Speaker 11: I had a really interesting comment station on my podcast Bona Fire with Luke Bona The other day with a bloke that you talk to fairly regularly.
Speaker 10: I understand Shane Oliver Ye find it's the chief economist with AMP.
Speaker 11: And people would listen to Shane and think, gee, he's a bit of a stiff, he's a square, he's an accountant, he's an economist. No, next time you talk to Shane, try and find a bit of extra time up your sleeve, Phil, because this guy is a character and he loves his music. And we got onto the topic of how we listen to music today. Now Shane and I are the same vintage. You're the same vintage. We're all about the same time. And we grew up listening to albums. When we were little kids.
Speaker 10: We probably bought.
Speaker 11: Forty fives singles, and then maybe when we got a bit of pocket money and we reached high school, you'd lash out and you'd buy a whole album.
Speaker 10: And I loved the whole vinyl album thing. I miss it. I miss it a lot.
Speaker 11: And you drop the needle side one, track one and you listen to it all the way through, just like the artist and the producer intended. And now listening to music, well, it's very very easy to do through apps like Spotify. And I'm not picking on Spotify because I use it.
Speaker 10: It's handy.
Speaker 11: I've got a Spotify playlist that I play in the car, and I've hand picked cherry picked my favorite songs and they all come up in the row for me. But I miss the album experience. And I just wonder how many of our listeners this morning remember the wonderful time you had going to a record store and buying an album and listening to the whole thing, discovering songs that the record company would never have released as a single because the artist's revenue are absolutely absolutely relied on radio airplay, and songs had to be cut down to three and a half minutes. In the sixties and seventies it was two and a half minutes. Songs like Hey, Jude, American Pie, et cetera, Bohemian Rhapsody. They broke the mold and went a bit longer. But album music, I think is missing.
Speaker 10: What do you make of it, philm You'll hear the same age as me.
Speaker 3: That's right, but yeah, and you're absolutely right. And also there've been a complete failure of rock bands on the music charts. It's all about solo artists. They've been hardly any in fifteen years. I think there's been about two. But that was the thing. It was part of it, you know, it was a narrative, the beginning song and the end song, everything was even though it wasn't a concept album, it was put in that order by the artists. So you go on a journey and you're absolutely right. I mean that whole, the enjoyment and the aesthetic feel of the record and taking it home and pulling it out. You know, I don't think that's ever going to come back, to be honest.
Speaker 10: It's a shame.
Speaker 11: I mean, there is a comeback of vinyl, but I mean it'll never come back CDs or the end of vinyl, and now you've got digital downloading and that's the way.
Speaker 10: Things are going.
Speaker 11: And I think it's a shame for the artists because you know, Spotify, while it's given a lot of artists a big platform, artists are missing out. I mean, back in the day, it was album and record sales that drove their revenue and then that led to touring. Now you look at the amount of bands that tour now, it's very very hard, very good made of mine. One of my best mates is Michael Hope who runs Hope of State in the Hunter Valley and he has big concerts. But it's very hard to get promoters to have the courage to do this now because traveling is expensive. Artists from overseas they want first class in business airfares. There's an entourage, and it's a really expensive exercise. And if you look at Hope of State, pardon me, have the capacities twenty thousand, the artist won sixty thousand.
Speaker 3: I'll let you have a drink of water while I just quickly pick up this. And the thing is that bans these days, Luke, you know, the only way they're going to get the money that they used to have is to tour, because there is no money in any thing else. And you're right. The touring now also has to be scaled back to such an extent that it's almost like a do it yourself experience. But the only way the bands can make money is to go on tour in a limited capacity. But the other thing that the bands make a lot of money on is merchandise. And even if we think, you know, merchandise is incredibly expensive. You know, if you go and see a band by the T shirt, because they also rely on that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, but we don't know the finances.
Speaker 11: We don't know how much percentage the actual musicians are getting out of all of this, because there's a lot of people wanting a piece of that pie. But it just got me thinking, what was the first album you actually went and bought? Because I remember I was gifted led Zeppelin two Christmas Day in nineteen seventy. I skipped one and I got led Zeppein two and that put me on a journey. And of course led Zeppron four is still one of the biggest selling albums of all time, but it's downloaded. I was thinking Michael Jackson's Thriller, it still tops the list. I remember going out and buying the Rolling Stone Sticky Fingers because of Brown Sugar and can't you hear Me Knocking?
Speaker 10: And I just wonder how many.
Speaker 11: Of our listeners around our vintage remember going out and buying their first album.
Speaker 10: I wonder what it was and do they still listen to it in its.
Speaker 3: Entirety one, three, one, eight seven three. That was part of the experience going to a record shop. And I remember I used to hang out in the record shop too, and you'd meet people back in the day, you know, you'd say, okay, I'll meet you with sounds and whatever it happened to be back in the day that was before mobile phones.
Speaker 10: That's right.
Speaker 11: But Shane Oliver, who puts an economic slant on all of this, had had this to say to me on my podcast yesterday.
Speaker 3: Oh this is sorry. I wasn't ready. I wasn't ready for that.
Speaker 12: I have this problem when I listened to stuff on Spotify, I don't value it same degree. So if an artist puts out like this, groups and bands that I like, and I'll go and buy their CD or and the old days a record or a cassette or something, and then I would I would look at it and look at the pictures, and look at the write the songs, and get obsessed with it and listen to each song several times. Whereas these days you get everything on Spotify, you just zip over the songs you don't like, and so you don't value it to the same degree.
Speaker 3: And I think that's kind of sad in a way. There, you got funny. You were pointing out me.
Speaker 11: Has Spotify sanitized the way we listen to music and has it taken away the wonderful experience of listening to an album, as you used to say, drop the needle and let it go through and experience the whole thing. Has Spotify taken away some of the romance attached to purchasing music.
Speaker 10: There's my question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one three, one eight seven three. And also let us know about the first record you brought here with Boner, Luke Boner and the report. The other thing too, is that you know, if you're buying something off Spotify and it's on your phone, you don't have anything. You never because music's so disposable, you never actually have anything that you can hold in your hand, even like a CD.
Speaker 11: You know. And before we bought albums when we were little, we bought forty five. So remember my first forty five was the Seekers, all of their own.
Speaker 3: So there you are, one three, one eight seven three. Give us a call right now. In the Boner Report, had it is sixteen minutes to five. Luke Booner joins us with the Boner Report, you were talking about people's first records. I've got some texts that came through. Jeanette said. First one was bridge over Troubled Water, can't go past. Yeah, Simon Garffer, what a magnificent album that is Patrick's is nineteen ninety nine. In nineteen eighty nine, in fact, be Happy was his first album. Nearly confused that with a bit of Prince and here's a great album from Paul Harry's Reason Spy Versus Spy, great album, great T shirt too.
Speaker 11: You want to hear a bit of trivia, go on, because back in my music jock days, where was I to.
Speaker 10: Well f and young And you remember Phil.
Speaker 11: Back in the day, the record companies would send you samples and you get to hear the singles before they were hits. And Circus Animals Col Chisel had come out and the single was Forever Now and I was always.
Speaker 10: A huge B side sampler, So I flip it over. Do you know what the B side to forever an Now was?
Speaker 3: Okay, flame Trees?
Speaker 10: It was bow River.
Speaker 11: I heard bow River and I thought that's better than the A side, and so I kept playing bow River. I got into trouble from the program director, and then every time I go into a pub where they had a jukebox, I'd always choose side B. And Ian Moss once said to me, Boner, you made bow rivery hit.
Speaker 3: Where's your money for this.
Speaker 10: I'm claiming it. I'm claiming it.
Speaker 3: Let's get to the phone films. On the phone you're on with Lyck Booner. Phil, Let's talk about your first record mate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my first record I bought was called Hits of the Blitz by Zira Lynn.
Speaker 10: Oh God bless we'll meet again.
Speaker 2: Hey, well made again and padam and your and all that sort of. Yes for the army background.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, great album.
Speaker 10: I think I remember going in and buying it.
Speaker 11: And what about the smell of the vinyl and the orange cloth that you used to buy it. It's a very gently wipe it in a circular motion. Did you have on your on your record player? Did you have a dust bug?
Speaker 3: Did you have a dust bug later on?
Speaker 2: I did, but in the early times no, which was very you know, and it took me nearly a whole week's pay to buy it.
Speaker 10: Yes, yeah, and you had a relationship with that album.
Speaker 2: Oh I've still got it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, good God bless what you do.
Speaker 2: All my albums all from the early sixties and fifties. I think the first one I must have got I think The Old Peace came to a Australia in about fifty four.
Speaker 7: In the and do you know what?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting. I think the closest that you and I will get to via Lynn would be a reference to Pink Floyd from the Wall album. So let's get to Bernardi's on the phone on North Rocks. Are I Bernie? You're on with Luke Boner? What was your first record?
Speaker 13: My first record that I've got is Crescendo by patam or tATu mt at the Piano and it was originally passed when on as a special at the shop for seven seven dollars ninety five and they've reduced that. I've got the actual price at my receias hust and Pay, and it was five dollars. And I've got some ball here.
Speaker 3: You're going to have Luke Boner and coming over and having a record party.
Speaker 11: I think I think she's sitting on a fortune. I think there's a lot of money there. People are paying big money for albums in good condition, especially if the cover's in good Nick.
Speaker 3: That's it exactly right. Let's get to Margaret, who's on the phone too, Margaret that's talked to Luke Boner about your Margaret.
Speaker 14: Good Night link. I love your show. Always get up early and listen to it. I can't remember the names of the album, but I bought two records at the same time when I think I was thirteen fourteen, and I thought one of the Beatles forty five, and I also bought Shirley Bessie. I love two very different types of me.
Speaker 7: You think this is Margaret?
Speaker 11: Can I ask you what record store did you buy from? Do you remember did you Was it in the suburbs or did you.
Speaker 10: Go into the city.
Speaker 14: Yeah, no, we used to go into Eatles.
Speaker 15: Was one of them Beatles?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 14: It's gone now there No, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 14: I do know of the guy who used to own it. He saw it many many years ago.
Speaker 10: There you go.
Speaker 14: I'm trying to think of the guy's name. We used to as teenagers go over to one of the girls places and play these records and dance around and sing his names just escape me. But we used to love playing and you'll know who I'm talking about, Summer Holiday and all those old hips, cliff Ridgid Cliff Richard. Yeah, we used to love those songs and we used to go around and have sessions of singing all the songs and dancing around. And we had one of the portable little record players. You remember those little Bokay.
Speaker 11: Hey, do you remember the k Tell compilation albums that used to come out It's super Bad and you had a k Tell record selector that was on side remember that film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, some plastic thing that essentially.
Speaker 10: And you read with all your albums in it.
Speaker 3: Because I always used to slide out of the side of.
Speaker 10: It and it never worked. It was like the game mouse trap. It never worked.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 14: I've got many many CDs now with a lot of those old complements, pations and the you know, the records for the now CDs, lots of the old ones, donating them to two GB.
Speaker 3: Well do bring them over here.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I will do all right, Thank you very much, And you have a lunchy day. And I do like to listen to you in the morning.
Speaker 7: I really like you.
Speaker 14: You know that you're upfront.
Speaker 3: Nice to talk to you, Margaret. There you go. Margaret will also be able to go and have a listen to your podcast too. Another couple of texts that are coming through here. This is from Warren. First record was Rock and Roy Music nineteen seventy six and he bought it a b Croft Records store. That was a double album. Yeah, the old double albums. That was something else, wasn't Oh now a.
Speaker 11: Double album that was something special. Yellow Brick Road, famous double album Frampton Comes Alive, Peter Frampton, remember that nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, do you feel like we do?
Speaker 11: That was a famous double album and the song remains the same, the led Zepp Madison Square Recordings double album. So, I mean that was a real investment, wasn't it. And you were definitely committed to the artist if you bought a double album.
Speaker 3: Well that said, and of course, you know back in those days, you know, we didn't have a lot of money, all of us, you know, I'm you, I'm talking about our listeners as well, So it was a real treat to go out and buy a record. So you'd have to get the plastic cover that it went into, you know.
Speaker 11: And you know, and the other thing about buying albums was it you got the lyrics you could read along with the words for the first time.
Speaker 10: You didn't get that on a single.
Speaker 11: You bought the album and chances are it had all the lyrics there as well. I remember reading along to all the words to Sergeant Peppers and I thought it was absolutely fantastic.
Speaker 10: You didn't have to guess the words.
Speaker 3: I should have mentioned before that when we were talking about Cliff Richard that he's touring too. He's going to be touring Australia, I think later on this year.
Speaker 11: I think he's the only artist in the world that's had number one or top ten hits in the fifties, sixties, seventies. He's nineties, two thousands. It's some incredible record.
Speaker 10: Look at that for me. Yeah, I think he's out. I think he's out on his own. Cliff Ridge, it's still touring.
Speaker 3: Eh, that's exactly right. Hey, what's coming up on your podcast? Well, I've got you here because I know you want to give that a plug.
Speaker 10: Oh, we'll look at it.
Speaker 11: There's always a bit of everything that once again, we'll talk about finance with Shane and how this drama between Iran and Israel is going to affect world markets. We'll have a bit of fun with Adam McDonald, the King of Memorabilia, and you never know what's coming up next.
Speaker 10: It's called Bona five with Luke Boner.
Speaker 3: It's available now, give it the plug. Nice a torture with the Boner Report. Mate, thank you have a terrific weekend. I love to the new family and we'll talk to you next.
Speaker 10: Week, Buddy, I can't wait, mate of mister mate cheers take care.
Speaker 3: Five minutes to five. So there's our mate, Luke Boner. He will be back next week and of course do toget speaking about old mates. Ben Fordham here after five point thirty this morning and Mike Levy fresh off the back of the Big Core with the Continuous Call team too. Imagine he's going to do the show from Perth today so he would be able to get out I'm not thinking no. Would he be able to get out of bed earlier than usual? Probably? Not knowing Luke, he's probably just done another all nighter. And in Brisbane four BC Peter Vegan coming up as well this morning at five point thirty. Very chilly this morning in Sydney six degrees but feels like three not too bad. In Brisbane it's about eleven but it feels like nine degrees. I wanted to have a chat with Dr Leonardo Guida, he's a shark scientist, because you know, it's fifty years this year since Jaws the movie was released. One of the greatest scary movies. I wonder if any other film has had such a cultural impact as Jaws has, because when that came out, it really literally did scare us from going into the water, didn't it. I Mean, I don't know if you did that, but I remember, you know, as a kid, I saw that film and even now you're still thinking about sharks that you didn't like get on back in the day. Maybe the only other one was Poltergeist, where we all thought that hopefully our house wouldn't get haunted. But anyway, maybe I'll have a chat with him tomorrow. I'm gonna have a discussion with doctor Tanvia Ahmed later on about psychological com claims and see whether or not a lot of those are verified.
Speaker 10: That's on the way.
Speaker 12: This is.
Speaker 1: This on two GB, four BC and network stations. This is wake up Us, Rodya with Phill O'Neill.
Speaker 7: Yeah, here we are.
Speaker 3: June nineteenth, Thursday morning. Cold feels like three degrees possibly even colder in Sydney, seven minutes past five a head of our good friend. Then for them to GB Sydney. Let's want to get five thirty. Peter Vegan on four BC in Brisbane and Mark Leevy coming up up the nine on two GB. Here's a bit of your opnight news. Israel's command of Iranian airspace leaves few obstacles in the world of expanding bombardment, although it will struggle to deal a knockout blow to deeply buried nuclear sites without the US joining the attack. Experts say this is maybe where the bunker busters come in. We'll wait and see what's going to happen with that. At least sixty nine Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire across Gaza, including twenty nine people who are waiting for a trucks. Palestinian health officials have said the latest carnage has hit people desperate to secure food for their hungry families. Also, the Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatola al Kamani has rejected Donald Trump's demand for unconditional surrender. Overnight, and the US president said his patients had run out, although he gave no clue as to what his next step would be. The Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelenski left the Group of Seventh summit overnight. The new aid from Canadian host Canada is going to help them with their war against Russia, but they said, diplomacy is in crisis, having missed the chance to press up with Donald Trump and ask him for some more weapons. That's the situation that Vladimir Zelenski is in. But of course he wasn't the only one who missed out, So too did the Indian Prime minister, and so did our Prime minister as well.
Speaker 10: And one more for you.
Speaker 3: Britain called overnight for reform of the European Convention on Human Rights amid growing domestic criticism that it allows a foreign base court to meddle in sensitive areas of policy such as immigration and deportation rulings. So that's a bit of an update on what you've got going on with the news this Thursday morning. As I said, it's pretty damn cold out there, so I'm going to have a chat in just a moment to doctor tan Via Ahmed, the psychiatrist and also social commentator and also another commentator on two GB who you'll be able to hear. He wants to talk about the psychological compensation claims being about justice not health, so we'll get to the bottom of that after this. It's ten past five, thirteen minutes past five I have on the phone this morning a two GB commentator, doctor Tanvia Ahmed. Let's talk about the psychological compensation claims about being about justice and not about health. That's the story that we want to wear lambrad on and can you tell us more details about that.
Speaker 9: Look right across the country and probably across the western world, probably the last decade or two, these sort of psychological claims in the workplace have gone up a great deal, most specifically in New South Wales. They've quad rupled in the last five years and that's really where it rates to. So there's currently a bill in New Southwest Parliament essentially trying to stick a pin in this, try and really cut down on the huge growth which is effectively bankrupting the state to some extent, Like they're kind of billions of dollars in the in the red. But what I'm getting at it's something I have to assess. I've never to assess these claims. And by the claims, there's usually someone saying I.
Speaker 7: Felt bullied, or i felt mistreated, or I've been.
Speaker 9: Harassed or I've got looked over in a promotion for personal reasons.
Speaker 7: So it's all these sort of things.
Speaker 9: And now I'm not saying these things aren't happening, but there's a few trends that are driving this. So one mental health awareness, so yes, people are much more conscious of mental health problems. There's also our relationship with work people. We have more service oriented work, so it's work where we're sitting in on front of a computer, we're interacting with teams. The psychosocial side of work, you could argue, is more pronounced.
Speaker 7: It's more about kind of online interactions.
Speaker 9: It's more it's how you get on with the team, a lot more subjective stuff. So that's another dynamic. And in line with that, you've had this huge growth with these types of claims you've had. You can also argue there's been a change in our relationship with adversity. So even the way we view adversity, it's probably more people thinking, Okay, the problem, somebody's done this to me. So people have some sort of issue work and they're like, somebody's done this to me. I'm just building up these broader cultural trends because I think they feed into these workplace claims. Now, when we assess the reality with these claims, even though they're mental health claims, they don't respond to treatment like mental health claims. So you might have to get a diagnosis out of the police of post traumatic stress disorder, but the usual portion of people with that diagnosis, you know, there might be half the people might respond to treatment. However, when you have these sort of claims coming out of the workplace, suddenly the claims and the treatment responses are less.
Speaker 7: They don't respond quite as well. Now it's a.
Speaker 9: Variety of reasons, but what I'm arguing here is what's really going on here is often people feel right did work in some ways, you know, they feel mistreated in some form, and then it really becomes the dynamic is one about justice, resentment.
Speaker 7: Even honor and shame.
Speaker 9: I feel you don't really think talk about honor shame in Western societies much.
Speaker 7: You know, it feels really ancient.
Speaker 9: You know, it's kind of warrior or kind of romans or tribes and this sort of stuff.
Speaker 7: But in some ways, that's sort of what's going on.
Speaker 9: People feel they've been dishonored in a way, and they just get stuck.
Speaker 7: They're kind of in exile. They go into a self imposed exile, and.
Speaker 9: Then it almost doesn't matter you're throwing them treatments, you're doing counseling, all this kind of stuff. But un till they feel they get some sort of resolution, and again that's a kind of a justice type thing, they just don't get better. So really what I'm arguing here, Phil is we need to think about these claims differently.
Speaker 7: So a lot of the debate that's going in early access to treatment.
Speaker 13: Yes they do to some extent.
Speaker 7: If they do get in to see a psycho, it can help them reappraise.
Speaker 9: What's going on for them, Like, whatever issue happened to work, what does.
Speaker 7: It mean to them?
Speaker 9: Can they readjust can they think of it it differently? So that is useful, But what you really got to work on is can we find interesting ways of mediating workplace disputes rather than it go down this real combative route. What tends to happen is bag they go to some industrial relations commission and it becomes a combat straight away. So initially somebody might come out going, oh, I'm a bit pissed off that they didn't do X y Z for me, and they'll go on leave, go on a workers comp claim, and then bang, before you know it, it's turned into a kind of all out legal combat. Like both sides have got lawyers, it's gone to some sort of commission. It's a fair work claim, and what began is something relatively mild turns into kind of, you know, like some David Goliath sort of battle.
Speaker 3: I've got two schools of thoughts on this. One is that having been in a situation where I've been bullied at work, and I know the term p TD gets bandied around a lot. We've talked about HR on this show, and how HR is there to essentially protect the employer. There should be some recourse if you've been bullied and you've actually walked away and you know that you have some form of issue as a result of it. But there are also people who are the architects in the workplace of their own circumstances, who are trying to claim that they're the victim. I guess the thing is to differentiate between what's actually true and what is their version of the truth.
Speaker 9: Now that's an awfully hard thing to do because it's often one person's perception versus another, and they try and we try and get some sort of objective reality, which isn't always which isn't always easy, And there is My profession does probably add to it. Because we've got all these diagnoses, and sometimes they're fairly loose criteria, so people can latch onto a diagnosis. You mentioned PTSD. I think increasingly the growth of PTSD is linked to lacking language for adversity and can be useful sometimes it can help them make sense of it seek treatment. But obviously people have to have recourse. Like you know, all sorts of things go wrong in work and nobody's arguing the worker shouldn't have rights, but something's going wrong in these disputes that they're just getting completely stuck and framing them purely as a health sort of dispute. I think just misses a trick. It just doesn't quite get the dynamic in these disputes.
Speaker 3: But I also think sometimes you just want to be heard, don't necessarily want some kind of compensation. You know, most people just want someone to hear their grievances.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're spot on fire. I think that people need to feel acknowledged.
Speaker 9: So again trying to think of processes where and again the illegal thing can make it hard where they're so fearful of admitting some sort of liability that modern organizations often can't even allow space where someone gets acknowledged where they're feeling of being mistreated in some way or just being disrespected. Often it's a feeling of disrespect And yeah, what you said is exactly right. Is there some way we can acknowledge that they felt wronged? We need some sort of ritual that allows them to come back to work save face. But I don't think we're doing that well. That things are turning into real big legal battles.
Speaker 3: I get the impression that HI will panic if somebody goes to them with a complaint about you know, it's usually a boss, but also a fellow employee. First thing they're going to do is think, well, okay, where's this going to leave us? And I think that mentality has got to go out of the equation that you're going to have to have someone whose job is not just to protect the company, but to protect the mental health of the company.
Speaker 6: That's true.
Speaker 9: I think there's a much more awareness of that psychosocial risk bield.
Speaker 7: So you're right, and I think we can handle it better.
Speaker 9: But in the most fundamental thing now, arguably the government's going too far in New South Wales.
Speaker 7: Whether they're kind of almost trying to shut this out altogether.
Speaker 9: Which will hurt a lot of peop people who are genuinely suffering, but it does just raise this issue that you and I are talking about. Well, I think this can be handled better, And much of it is exactly what you said, that there's a legal pathway that is not allowing it's not giving space for just ordinary acknowledgment, you know, just kind of letting someone feel heard, just acknowledging their distress of feeling wronged, and that could potentially save gazillions of dolls absolutely.
Speaker 7: And improve all sorts of suffering.
Speaker 3: I'm speaking as a layman here. I don't think that you're legally obligated to say to the employee, Okay, you were wronged. That's minefield, which is your terrain. But I think that again, the acknowledgment to the employee going you actually were wronged here, this person is going to apologize to you. We just want you to feel safe in your workplace.
Speaker 7: That's exactly right, Phil.
Speaker 9: So there's room for new rituals here, new kind of workplace rituals, new kind of legal rituals that marry the mental health with the law.
Speaker 7: And I think this is the ideal space of it. Consider what that might look like.
Speaker 3: Good to talk to you, mate, Thank you so much, and it's really interesting some of the stuff that you brought there. Doctor Tanvia Ahmet also on two GB, but there the psychiatrist and social commentator talking about the psychological compensation claims. Twenty two minutes past five twenty and six minutes past five getting ready for ben Fordham on two GB coming up at five point thirty. Peter Vegan in Brisbane at four BC, also at five point thirty, and then the great Man Mike Levy's fresh off the back of the Big Call last night, the Continuous Call Team. He'll be here doing his thing from nine o'clock this morning. It is cold in Sydney, cold in Brisbane. Cold in Sydney about five so it feels like two degrees that time of the year when if we're not talking about the financial year, you're going to be talking about your health. And there's something that you really need to get yourself better health for the rest of the year. And I know a man who would know all about that, and that's Jeff Cock. How are you this morning, buddy?
Speaker 15: Yeah, good morning, good morning. Look, if you're feeling a bit run down, if you're lacking an energy or feeling a little bit secondhand. Then I've got an invitation for you to try our Nature Be Power pollen. Great offer for your listeners today.
Speaker 3: Well, I heard the words listeners and offer. Put those two together and we're talking about something. We need to talk about power pollen.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 3: What makes it different though to the other supplements, Jeff.
Speaker 15: Well, Number one, it's a food, it's not a drug or a medicine. And it's jam packed full of goodness. And add to that our potentiation process that unlocks the power of pollen, making all the nutrients available to your body. It's Nature's perfect fuel and you will feel the benefits more natural energy, stronger immunity, better sleep, improve digestion and a sharper laser focus.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a win win to me, my friend, especially the idea of a boost. And right here in the middle of winter, we're all freezing. I'll tell you what what's the offer to do? Design on it?
Speaker 15: Okay, to buy one, get one free by a thirty day supply of nature B powerpoland for just thirty nine ninety five and I'll give you another thirty day supply for free. That's enough for you and your partner to both experience the benefits and of course it comes risk free with our money back guarantee.
Speaker 3: Kidding me. So you get a supply and then you get another thirty days on top of that.
Speaker 15: You got it.
Speaker 3: You're a crazy man. Where do listeners go to take up this offer?
Speaker 15: Jeff jump online to naturebee dot com or you can call us on one eight hundred and one four seven double oh nine. Go to natureb dot com and place your order today and get started on a better life tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Do you know what that one is? The extra one that you give people?
Speaker 12: Do you know what?
Speaker 3: That's a free b jef free that's staring me. I've still got some stuff for you. Jeffrey, got to touch you, my friend, Jeffrey. There, Jeff Cook from nature b dot com. It's nutrition for you to believe in. Okay, it's coming up to nearly five thirty, which means that Ben Fordham is on his way, followed by Mark Levy and Peter Fvegan coming up this morning from five thirty in Brisbane. Great win last night for the Queenslanders. Of course Peter Fegan will be crying on about that, but enjoy it while you can, because game three is certainly going to be the one that's going to make the difference. It'll show the difference between the boys and the men. I didn't get the chance to talk about Shark, so I'll do that again when I'm back here after midnight tonight, because it's a fifty year anniversary after the movie Jaws that scared the absolute hell out of everybody, and also the story behind the song. We will be doing that again after midnight tonight. And it's Paranormal Friday, so there's a guy who is going to talk about outside body experiences and how you can get involved in something like that. Just a little something to get you into the weekend. Have yourself a fantastic day. Obviously, stay warm because it's pretty cold out there, and I'll talk to you at midnight tonight.