S1: I'm Jacqueline Maley, and you're listening to Inside Politics from the newsrooms of the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. Today we're going to talk about gambling reform. We're going to talk about immigration, and we're going to talk about the news media bargaining code. Joining me from Canberra, we have our chief political correspondent, Paul Satchell, and our chief political reporter, Natassia Chrysanthos. Welcome to you both.
S2: Good morning. Good morning.
S1: Paul. Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke was due to give a speech to the Press Club on Thursday to unveil the government's new immigration policy, but he was a late cancellation. What happened?
S3: Yeah, this was a curious one, Jack. For a government that prides itself on its kind of coherence, cabinet process and adult managerial style, this was an odd moment that you don't often see from this labor administration. So the Prime Minister is away on leave. He has, I think, 4 or 5 days off. He's with his wife, Jodie. The acting prime minister, Richard Marles, said the other day that he often encourages the prime minister to take more leave than he does. But he's a workaholic, so never agrees with with the suggestion. But perhaps the Prime Minister should have stuck around this week, because the perception is that the one week when the PM misses a cabinet meeting which was held on Monday, the whole show goes off the rails. Now, that's a simplistic interpretation of what's happened here. It's far more complicated, and that would be a cynical view. But that is one view out of this, that on a Monday, um, scheduled cabinet meeting, there was an important debate on Tony Burke's big immigration announcement, which was due for Thursday, as you said, and the debate got a bit messy. There were concerns from some ministers that there would be lots of left wing blowback on pushing too hard on the migration question, potentially aping Hanson questions around family reunion visas, which tasks will get to in a sec, and also some unresolved policy implications about how lower migration numbers would feed into the budget and the workforce question, particularly at a moment when there are labour supply issues. So a decision was taken, I'm told, by Burke. Others say there was a view from the Prime Minister, who chipped in from leave that this should be delayed until next week or the week after to us.
S1: Tony Burke was expected to announce that they were going to bring net migration down by 75,000 people a year, and migration numbers have been climbing, climbing. They sort of went on a spike after the pandemic when people couldn't get in, and then people sort of rushed in after that. I just want to ask, what are the main visa classes that Labour is proposing to restrict?
S4: Yeah. So I think what's just to go back one step, I think what's interesting is that reduction in the migration programme by 75,000 people is already kind of baked into the budget. That's already the forecast. So at the moment, the annual overall net migration intake is about 300 000 people. The budget papers say this is going to get down to 225 000 people within two years time. So the the lower number is there and has been there for a while. The issue is that Labour never meets the lower number. So we've actually got quite an interesting debate where it's not actually about setting a new number or setting a lower number. It's about how do we actually get to that number? Because at no point have they been able to. And this is where we have to we this is where the government have to have more serious conversations, I suppose, about policy settings and where sections of the migration programme need to be tightened. So that that's actually achievable, because this constant overshooting of migration forecasts has become a political problem for Labour. Mhm. So and this is then when we get to this question about, well which visa classes do you go to. Um I'll try and do a migration programme in a nutshell. But essentially um there's temporary visa holders. There's permanent visa holders. There are two different streams, the permanent visa holders. That is a set number of people each year, about 185,000. A lot of them are already in the country. Um, so the big pressure on the overall migration um intake. And that net intake comes from temporary visas because that's people coming in each year. A lot of those visa classes are demand driven. They're not capped. So working holidaymakers backpackers, that's a special class of visa, but they're not capped. So they could realistically, you know, balloon by 100,000 people. If 100,000 young British people decided they want to come to Australia one year a similar with New Zealand as well. So the issue for the government is figuring out, okay, how can we clamp down or issue more controls on that part of the temporary visa system? Um, another kind of class of temporary visa that has blown out is bridging visas. Now, these are people who come here on a temporary visa, want to apply for another visa, kind of get stuck in a bit of administrative limbo, um, while applying for a visa, a visa, um, and then get this kind of visa to hold them over. Now we have more than 400 000 people in that category at the moment, which is far higher than it's ever been. Um, a big issue is how for the government, how do they take people out of that backlog and either kind of get them to go home or streamline moving them into other visa classes. And that's where now there's a conversation about how people can apply for family visas, for example, students, asylum seekers, backpackers.
S1: So it seems like there's sort of three main groups that they're going after, if that's the right verb, the asylum seeker, working rights and appeal rights and backpacker visas, as you mentioned, and also family reunions. That's certainly what was briefed out ahead of Burke's non-appearance at the Press Club, which is, of course, just been postponed. I want to ask you both about the pressure points for labor, because on the one hand, they do have business groups who've come out and said businesses depend on backpackers and particularly on skilled migrant intake, and I guess secondarily on family reunion visas, because that helps attract people, attract the best talent to Australia. So Paul, just talk about the pressure points for labor. There's business and there's also some of the electorates, the home electorates of the MPs.
S3: Totally, I. There's probably no area of government policy where there are more trade offs than the immigration space, I think, and really sharp imperatives on either side. As you mention, there's big pressure from the business groups today in the newspapers saying don't go too hard and fast here. We've got labor shortages everywhere, and we need these numbers to remain high. Otherwise, um, you know, wages will be unsustainable. It's bad for the economy. Um keep the, keep the levels, you know, at a, at a reasonable rate. On the other hand, Labor's confronting an electorate that's becoming increasingly uneasy on this question. There's no policy, uh, topic on which Hanson has a bigger lead on Angus Taylor and Anthony Albanese than and on migration. She's the clear leader in terms of trust on that issue. And even though the vast, vast majority of Labor's voting base has not followed the Jacinta Price online right into adopting fringe rhetoric around mass migration and replacement theory, there is a growing view that Labour ministers are very acutely aware of in the community that the high levels of migration post the pandemic, when borders were shut, there was a natural correction, have led to increased strain on services, have exacerbated the housing crisis and have generally led to a flatter economy. People are blaming that topic, accurate or otherwise. Yeah, the tension for Labour is that its voting coalition is underpinned in significant part by migrant communities and people from non-English speaking backgrounds. Labor caucus members have been surprised in recent months at how many non-English as their first language voters are shifting to Hanson, so they don't think there is a don't, you know, assume there is a monolithic group here that looks at Hanson and another group that rejects her. But. So they're trying to tread this path of acknowledging this serious concern around the migration program, which is feeding into broader cost of living unease at the same time as not going to not not betraying that migrant voting bloc, which once labor to retain a sense of compassion in its rhetoric and language.
S1: Well, also, I think for a lot of people, you know, in particularly in the electorates, that some of the cabinet ministers hold in the south west of Sydney, it's it's a very real pressure for them because they have enormous migrant communities there. And the migrant communities are particularly interested in the family reunion visa stream, and they don't want to see it restricted. We had a really nice piece from Mustafa Rajwani, who's one of our reporters who went out to Watson, which is Tony Burke's electorate was in in the paper on Thursday, and he was interviewing people saying, you know, we want our families here. And, you know, the government should be bringing families together, not trying to keep families apart in its immigration processes. I want to move on to gambling advertising reform tasks. You've been covering this. We had a couple of days of Senate committee hearings where the gambling, gambling company bosses and lobbyists were grilled, and some quite lurid allegations were aired about the tactics of these companies. What were some of the things the hearing heard?
S4: Mhm. So we had on the it was the first opening session of the inquiry on Monday. Um, gambling reform advocates, people with experience of gambling harm and gambling addiction themselves gave evidence. Um one of those was Luke Bateman, former NRL player who's now more known, I believe, as a potential fantasy fiction author. He's big on BookTok.
S3: Fanfic.
S4: Guy. Yeah, he's really good. He's just gonna be on he's got a two book deal.
S5: Oh, wow.
S4: Yeah, yeah.
S1: So he's become a book influencer.
S4: Yeah. And he's got a really, um, yeah, like a really significant kind of footprint influence around, around, I would say kind of Gen Z millennial Australians. So having someone like that, I think front the inquiry, someone who's been like deep in the world of sport now kind of talks to a very different audience, speak so candidly about his experience. Um, and he described, You know, in the depths of his gambling addiction in his early 20s, being offered, you know, thousands of dollars worth of free bonus bets to keep him betting he was stealing from his mom and his, um, his siblings and his partner for that being offered kind of whatever drugs he wanted. Um, by betting companies being flown into state for events. And then he described one event where he said he was in a room, basically with the entire C-suite of this betting company all doing drugs. So he was saying, you know, these companies are very aware of that culture and the tactics they use. Um, and this was among other evidence as well, other people in the inquiry said, you know, yeah, we hear this all the time. Then we had the peak body, uh, responsible Wagering Australia, uh, Sportsbet, Tabcorp come in the next day and say, we have no evidence of this whatsoever. If other people do, they should report it to the police because that's illegal.
S1: I think one of them said the immortal line, this is not part of our offering, which I liked. So they're basically saying if these tactics are used or inducements, I think they're called euphemistically, then then they're illegal and they're not they're not they're not condoned by the companies. And they they said they hadn't actually seen any evidence apart from the guy who was giving evidence saying these things.
S4: And on that inducements euphemism, which you just picked up, which is interesting, the betting companies drew drew a line. So inducements are kind of colloquially these things that encourage people, you know, to bet.
S3: They're not drugs. Just to be clear, they're ads, the ads which say if you sign up, we'll give you a $50 bonus bet.
S4: Yeah. But for the purpose, I guess, of the discussion, it's anything that could induce someone. Right? So the drugs were being brought into this into this conversation, which which the betting companies were like, whoa, whoa, whoa, that's not inducements. Um, but the Murphy report, which is the kind of gambling reform advocate, gold standard for gambling reform, recommended an immediate ban on inducements. Again, more the inducements of the kind of like here's a free $10,000 batted away so forth. The Albanese government's legislation does not touch this. So this has emerged as one of the bigger missions in the gambling package. Yeah. Um, just to go back, the gambling companies drew a clear line. They said, look, there's inducements which are these free bets? Um, or the racing industry called them generosities. Yeah. Um, there's so sorry. Yeah. They called them promotions and generosities. Yeah. Then they said inducements. They described inducements as something like offering people to sign up and recruiting new members. And they said, we're not allowed to do that. We don't do that. And then they said, yeah, offering of drugs and escorts is just illegal. So they're talking about the grey area is now, okay, should these promotions where someone. And there was another example where someone had gambled $500,000 or $500,000 in a month, and he was given $50,000 of free bets, should that be allowed? And now this is an issue that the coalition has taken issue with.
S1: Yeah. So just I just want to stop you there. Just for the listeners who won't be familiar with the gambling package as it is basically what the government has put forward as their reforms. They don't touch this inducements issue. They talk about advertising and they've sort of restrict gambling advertising, like on prime time TV, basically between until 8:30 p.m. you can only show three ads an hour, which still seems like quite a lot of ads, and they haven't really done much else besides. From what I can tell.
S4: There's a couple of extra things around online and offshore lotteries which.
S3: Which.
S4: Someone would argue kind.
S3: Of lotteries.
S4: Yeah. There's stuff around, um, sponsorships on jerseys and stuff. But in terms of basically what people have been calling for was a full advertising blackout on all platforms. And that hasn't happened. It's this kind of limits across.
S1: There's also the issue of online advertising, because so many people bet online now and also children's exposure to advertising. So basically there's a lot of people who are unhappy with what the government's put forward there. Um, you know, independent, some of the independents like David Pocock, the Greens don't like it. And Now the coalition has said they're not going to support the reforms either. So Paul, where does this leave the reforms? Is the government going to work with the coalition or the crossbench, or are they just going to drop them?
S3: It's a good question. Hard to predict. The Prime Minister, though privately and he's alluded to this publicly, is not for shifting. If people will recall, and perhaps our listeners weren't following closely at the time, but this debate was subject to years of to and fro in the Albanese government's first term. There was a lot of pressure from teal independent Zoe Daniel and others in the first term of the Albanese government, particularly off the back of this report by the labor MP Peter Murphy, who tasked just mentioned to blanket ban gambling advertising. The Prime Minister was resistant to this and really didn't really avoided it for years leading into the last election, and then pulled a proposal that was drafted by his then commerce minister, Michelle Rowland, about a year out from the election and pushed it out till this term. He came to it this term with a more open mind, and realized that there was quite a lot of angst in the labour base and in the general progressive part of the labour movement, but also more generally outside of the labour movement, that something needed to be done here. But he's his conviction was that he needed to find a middle road that satisfied both both the big sporting codes, media companies like ours, who draw a lot of wagering revenue as well as the activists. In his mind, the activists were never going to be satisfied with the government's response, so he wanted to find something that find a middle ground that pacified the issue and allowed the government to move on. Yeah, the government really didn't want to have this inquiry. They were annoyed behind the scenes that the great.
S4: I think even that framing though of, you know, oh, it's kind of the activist versus the code kind of shows it potentially, you know, that might may well be the Prime Minister's view. But I think it's, it's, it's not your kind of bread and butter left wing activists, right? Like there are a lot of people across, across a range of experience. Yeah, yeah. And it's people with experience of gambling harm and gambling addiction. And that doesn't discriminate based on politics. And that's why I think it's interesting that the coalition has bought into this issue. And there are some people in the coalition.
S3: The coalition.
S4: Have. Yeah. Well, they've they've they've at least drawn a line at this point. There's backbenchers within the coalition who want it to go forward. I think the question will be, um, how far the coalition pushes it. Um and if at the end of the day, the government who has been talking with the coal like Wells and Sarah Henderson, who's the coalition communications spokeswoman, have been talking this week, I think the question is, if they land a relatively modest set of tweaks that the government is happy with, I think dropping it all together for Albanese will create troubles with his backbench and with the labor base, who just last month put into the labor national platform and even stronger position on gambling. So I don't really think dropping it is.
S3: He would want to do it. And because he wants to sort this issue out and move on. Yeah, I wouldn't underestimate the extent to which ministers and the Prime Minister believe this to be a third or fourth order issue. Um, if you talk to pollsters and party officials who speak to voters in focus groups, they believe that this is one of those issues that captures attention in Canberra, because it's symbolic of the government's alleged lack of progressive instinct, but really doesn't register out there.
S5: So it's a kind of it's a.
S1: It's a nice to have for some voters, but it's not a bread and butter issue because with cost of living, immigration and so forth.
S3: Exactly. And that's, that's how the that's how the cabinet sees it. And the view also from senior ministers.
S4: Get some kind of deal done.
S3: Yeah. They want to just get it done.
S5: And square.
S1: It away. Tas there is I mean, on the other side of this there is, you know, the gambling, the gambling companies, whether or not you believe this, this by this they do say that if people don't gamble with Australian companies, then they'll gamble online, you know, through illegal gambling streams online. And there's also the issue of gambling advertising is of course propping up or. It's an important revenue stream for some of the media companies. Which brings me to my next topic, because we're one of those companies. Nine, which publishes the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age has some gambling advertising on it, on its various platforms. It's an important revenue stream for us. Uh, and this is a time when media companies need all the revenue streams they can get. The news media bargaining code is another piece of legislation or draft legislation that the government's put forward this week. The media companies are not happy with it, or certainly big media companies, I should say like nine. Paul, can you just tell us what this is about? Because, again, it's a fairly niche issue that that maybe listeners won't won't be familiar with.
S3: It is it is niche. It's important because it pits the government against very powerful stakeholders, both big media companies in Australia, including ours and News Corp and Channel seven, who can obviously wage campaigns against the government, which frightens, uh, ministers. But also the Trump administration is a big stakeholder in this one too. And the reason for that is Trump has come into power with an agenda of protecting US tech firms from any tax in either Europe or Asia or Australia, which they believe are punitive attempts to, uh, you know, eek into the to dig into the revenue of US tech darlings and hurt the US's interests. So they've been taking retaliation against, uh, European nations or at least threatening retaliation against European authorities who have suggested digital taxes. And they consider this Australian framework, which is a coalition era, uh, scheme which has been revamped by labor, which effectively pushes or forces big tech firms like meta, Google and others who have snatched revenue under the feet of media companies like ours to pay Australian media firms for news articles on their platforms. Yeah, the websites, the platforms themselves say the newspapers need them much more than they need us, and we actually need their distribution channels. And so we should be helping them. We argue that they've stolen all our revenue, taken all our eyeballs, and have a. To maintain their social license should contribute to public interest journalism.
S1: Yeah. So basically when when someone posts on their Facebook page, a Paul Sakhile article about gambling reform or a Natasha Chrysanthos article about gambling reform, we say the media companies say, well, we're giving you content. You should pay for that content. The social media companies say, well, actually, we're giving you another distribution platform. You should be paying us, if anything. So the government is trying to bring a revenue stream to the big media companies. They've they've cooked up this model. Can you just tell us a little bit about the model they've cooked up?
S3: Yeah. So it mimics the coalition era model that Josh Frydenberg as treasurer led and negotiated directly with Mark Zuckerberg. It's one of the achievements that he talks about was one of his proudest moments. Labor argues that his model eventually became broken. And so they've created a new, quite technical scheme which would if these tech firms didn't strike voluntary deals with companies like ours, they'd be forced to pay a charge. Labor Labour doesn't call it a tax because that would, uh, irk the Trump administration further. They call it a charge, which was going to be a percentage of their overall revenue. Yeah. There's an 11th hour change, which has really drawn the ire of companies like nine and News Corp, which has amended the revenue base from being total revenue, which is obviously a bigger figure to a smaller revenue pool related to digital digital advertising. Now, in part behind the scenes, this move was designed to ameliorate the concerns of the tech firms who are dealing with the white House and pushing the white House to retaliate against Australia. So it's a really tricky position for Albanese to be in, because he wants to put this scheme forward, to keep our businesses alive or to keep them healthy. Um, and our, our bosses are, uh, putting a lot of pressure on the government publicly. This ties into the wagering advertising conversation because the same bosses of media firms like ours who are pushing for this scheme are also pushing against the government's gambling advertising bill. So there's a there's a enmeshment here with all these issues. And and on the other hand, they're trying to keep the US onside. So it's it's difficult. But these 11th hour changes have been put without any consultation, which is quite typical of this government to put significant changes that annoy stakeholders quite late in the process. And so it's become quite messy.
S1: So the Trump administration, you know, I think it's fair to say on behalf of the tech companies, hates the social media ban. Um, they also don't like local content laws that we've imposed or the government's imposed for the big US streamers, the big international streamers. And now this, um, you know, imposition of basically, let's call it a tax on the social media companies for using news content. Um, what I mean, the Albanese government is big. You know, Anthony Albanese often says I make laws in Australia's best interests. I make laws in the sovereign interest. But the sovereign interest here is not so clear cut because on the one hand, you have you know, I would say the very worthy, uh, aim of keeping media companies alive. And on the other, you have the possibility of further tariffs or higher tariffs being imposed. If we to do too much digital taxation of the big media tech companies in the US.
S3: You're right on those all those conflicting imperatives, Jack. But if you're in the US and you're an official in the Trump administration and you see some small sovereign nation like Australia who is really who is in truth reliant on the US, not the other way around in defence and other other matters. You'd say, why are you guys, those little guys down in Australia setting this precedent for the rest of the world to tax our firms, to pay for dying businesses when we want to unleash the, you know, growth and dynamism of these firms to help boost us prestige and economic clout across the world. Yeah. So if you are someone who believes in tech regulation, Albanese deserves huge credit for going so forcefully on the social media ban and taking on the US there. So this is another example of Australia punching above its weight in that regard. But there are limits on how hard and fast we can go.
S1: And we have seen other countries, particularly in Europe, follow our example on the social media ban, the. The US trade Representative has already said, you know, these laws amount to foreign extortion. This sort of suite of laws. Anyway. The new Australian ambassador, Greg Moriarty, will have his work cut out for him dealing with the white House on this stuff. Guys, thanks so much for clipping through all of those extremely diverse topics with such aplomb. Thank you very much. We'll see you both again soon.
S3: Great to chat. Talk to you.
S2: Soon. See ya.
S5: You can read.
S1: All of our political news on our website, si.com.au and smh.com.au. Today's episode was produced by Kai Wong with help from Debbie Harrington. Our executive producer is Tammy Mills, and our podcasts are overseen by Lisa Muxworthy and Tom McKendrick. Before you go, follow Inside Politics and leave a review for us on Apple or Spotify. I'm Jacqueline Maley. Thanks for listening.